MR. AND MRS. PATRICK McKENNA On the Sixtieth Anniversary of their MarriageMR. AND MRS. PATRICK McKENNA On the Sixtieth Anniversary of their Marriage
MR. AND MRS. PATRICK McKENNA On the Sixtieth Anniversary of their Marriage
On the 1st of October, 1849, Mr. McKenna had married Miss Mary Kearney, who in the previous year had left her home at Fanningstown, County Limerick, Ireland, and sailed for the new world. In the succeeding May Mr. McKenna brought his young wife to the home which they occupied for twenty years and on the expiration of that period they took up their abode in the residence where they lived until death called them. Mr. McKenna at first gave his attention to market gardening, conducting a successful business for eighteen years, but gradually withdrew from that branch of business to give his entire attention to the florist business, making the raising of fruit and vegetables merely a side issue.
The McKenna greenhouses became well known and the business prospered from the beginning, bringing Mr. McKenna a substantial financial return which enabled him eventually to retire from active business life.
Mr. and Mrs. McKenna became the parents of thirteen children but six of the number died in infancy, and Elizabeth died a member of the Nuns of Jesus and Mary, under the name of Sister St. Pancratius. Patrick died in 1880 and Mary in 1872. Four children survive the parents: James, a sketch of whom follows; Miss Sarah McKenna; Frances N., the wife of F. Allan Beauchamp; and Sister McKenna, who for seven years was bursar of a nunnery at Lawrence, Massachusetts, and for the past fifteen years has been bursar of the noted Grey Nunnery of Montreal.
Mr. and Mrs. McKenna lived to celebrate their diamond wedding on the sixtieth anniversary of their marriage. The occasion was made a memorable one to all who participated therein. Both Mr. and Mrs. McKenna were enjoying good health, although both were octogenarians, and the celebration was participated in by Mrs. McKenna’s sister, Miss Sarah Kearney, who witnessed the original marriage sixty years before. On the occasion of the diamond wedding the ceremony was marked by the celebration of pontifical mass by His Lordship Bishop Racicot, assisted by others. From 1851 Mr. McKenna was a continuous holder of a pew in St. Patrick’s church.
His long residence at Cote des Neiges enabled him to tell much concerning the history of that section and to relate many interesting incidents connected with its development and growth. He had occupied the position of councillor in the village before its incorporation into a town and about 1889 was succeeded by his son. He was a justice of the peace for the district of Montreal for twenty-five years until his death. He possessed a retiring disposition but nevertheless manifested keen interest in all that pertained to the city’s welfare and never failed to perform a public duty that devolved upon him. He was ever loyal to the land of his adoption and maintained a deep love for the land of his birth. As a boy he received a temperance medal from Father Matthew, the Irish apostle of temperance, which is now treasured by his son.
For over two years after the celebration of the diamond wedding the parents continued to travel life’s journey and then death called the husband and father, who passed away March 14, 1912, at the age of ninety-three years. The wife and mother survived for only a few months, her death occurringon the 12th of July, following, at which time she had reached the age of eighty-two years. They were perhaps the most venerable couple in Cote des Neiges and among the oldest witnesses of the growth and development of the tiny village into a city which eventually was absorbed in the metropolis.
James McKenna, who is his father’s successor in public office and business, was born at the family home in Cote des Neiges, November 11, 1851, his parents being Patrick and Mary (Kearney) McKenna, whose sketch precedes this. When the father retired from the position of councillor of Cote des Neiges in 1889, James McKenna succeeded to the position which he continuously and acceptably filled for nineteen years, while from 1908 until 1910 he was alderman of Montreal. He was appointed justice of the peace for the district of Montreal to fill the vacancy caused by the death of his father. He married Margaret Quinn and to them were born eight children: Rose; Evaline, the wife of Antoine Marchand by whom she has a son, Charles; Maud, who was known as Sister St. Margaret of Notre Dame and has passed away; Charles P., who died at the age of eighteen years; Frank J., who married Evaline McCarthy; Leo James, who married Gertrude Eagan and has a son, Leo Martin; Harry W.; and E. Phillip.
Ability to recognize opportunities that others passed heedlessly by, combined with an ambition that brought about their immediate, practical and resultant utilization, brought Robert Thomas Hopper to a position in the foremost ranks of Montreal’s manufacturers and business men. He had the distinction of being the first man to ship asbestos abroad and later became a prominent figure in themining industry in the province, while at the time of his death he was president of the Dominion Marble Company.
Mr. Hopper was born in Quebec, February 25, 1858, and was educated there in the public school and in Thom’s Academy. His father, Thomas Hopper, was senior partner of the firm of Hopper Brothers, a prominent firm of cattle dealers in the province. Thomas Hopper married Miss Agnes Davidson and their children were six in number. Robert Thomas Hopper came to Montreal in 1876, when he was eighteen years of age and secured a position as bookkeeper with the firm of James Linton, continuing in that connection for a year. He then organized the firm of Irwin Hopper & Company, which existed until 1889, when the business was taken over by R. T. Hopper & Company. This firm engaged in the mineral business, specializing in crude and fibrized asbestos, being among the pioneers in that industry in Canada. Mr. Hopper was regarded as father of the asbestos business in this country. He was the first Canadian to ship asbestos abroad and has the distinction of being the first man in the business to take up the installation of crushing machinery which has since revolutionized the asbestos business.
About 1891, Mr. Hopper established the first Portland Cement plant in Canada, known as the English Portland Cement Company of Canada. Difficulties confronted him, for it fell to his lot to educate the people to the use of cement. He entered upon a campaign which ultimately resulted in success, for his persistency and energy overcame the obstacles placed in his way. Moreover, time tests the merit of all things and the worth of Portland cement is demonstrated in its successful use. Later Mr. Hopper consolidated his interests with the Rathburns of Deseronto, Ontario, organizing the Beaver Portland Cement Company, and with the development of the business and the formation of new associations the Canadian Portland Cement Company came into existence. Their plants were located at Marlbank and Deseronto, Ontario, and with the passing of the years the business developed until it assumed large proportions. Eventually, Mr. Hopper sold his interests after having materially assisted in building up a large and successful business. In 1906 he organized the Dominion Marble Company, of which he continued as president until his death on the 13th of November, 1912. This business was established on a small scale but was developed along modern, progressive lines until the company is now one of the largest in Canada, engaged in the marble business, owning extensive quarries located at South Stukely, Quebec, and Mr. Hopper was also a director in the Sherbrooke Railway & Power Company and remained a director of the Canadian Cement Company after he withdrew from active connection with the management of the business. He was a prominent member of the council of the Canadian Mining Institute and thus kept in close touch with the mining projects of the country.
In 1882, in Montreal, Mr. Hopper was united in marriage to Miss Mary Agnes Mathews, a daughter of Richard Mathews, of this city, and two daughters and a son were born to them.
Mr. Hopper was a member of the Board of Trade and was a public-spirited citizen, interested in all that pertained to civic betterment and improvement. He was a member of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, the Montreal Club, the Chapleau Club, the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club and the Beaconsfield Golf Club. He attended Douglas Methodist church and was deeply interested inmany local charities. He sought ever the welfare and development of the community in which he lived along lines of material, intellectual, moral and public progress and his labors were attended with far-reaching results and benefits.
Standing among the foremost men of the legal profession in Montreal, Joseph François Victor Martineau enjoys an important and representative practice. Moreover, he holds the position of general secretary of the bar of the province of Quebec, to which he was admitted over twenty years ago. Mr. Martineau was born at Montreal on the 28th of August, 1867, and is a son of the late François Martineau and Emérentienne (Bouthillier) Martineau. The father was a well known hardware merchant in this city and represented for six years, from 1885 to 1891, St. Mary’s ward, now Papineau, in the city council. In 1892 he was elected as a conservative member of the legislative assembly of Quebec for division No. 1 of Montreal (St. Mary’s division) and continued as a member of parliament until the next general election, in 1897.
J. F. V. MARTINEAUJ. F. V. MARTINEAU
J. F. V. MARTINEAU
Victor Martineau received his classical education at Ottawa College in Ottawa, St. Mary’s (Jesuit) College of Montreal, and for three years attended the law department of Laval University, from which he obtained the degree of LL. B. He was admitted to the bar of the province of Quebec in July, 1892, and ever since he has practiced in Montreal, having attained a high position among his colleagues. He is sound in his logic, terse in argument and forceful in presenting his pleas and, as he is a deep student, is familiar with precedent and all the technicalities of the law. Upon this structure is built his reputation for success. On the 5th of October, 1910, Mr. Martineau was appointed king’s counsel by the lieutenant governor and at the nomination of Hon. M. Arthur Globensky as judge of the superior court of the province of Quebec he was appointed general secretary of the bar of the province in August, 1910.
On the 6th of June, 1893, Mr. Martineau was married to Miss Emmeline Jodoin, a daughter of Isaië A. Jodoin, a well known advocate of the bar of Montreal. To this union were born two daughters. Mr. Martineau is a conservative in political matters and takes the interest of an active and earnest citizen and voter in public matters although he has never aspired to office. He can be ever found among those who make for public progress and readily places his means and ability at the disposal of undertakings that have this end in view.
The life work of John Jennings Creelman has brought him into close connection with the general interests of society as affected by legislative procedure, by activity at the bar and by educational interests. In the year 1913 he was appointed lecturer upon railway economics in McGill University and sustains that relation to the present time. Born in Toronto on the 14th of February, 1881, heis a son of Adam R. and Margaret Cumming (Jennings) Creelman. The former was a son of James Creelman, whose father came from Ireland in childhood and settled in New Brunswick in 1790. Adam R. Creelman, preparing for the bar, was created king’s counsel, gained distinction as a member of the legal profession and in 1900 was made general counsel of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. He married Margaret Cumming, daughter of Rev. John Jennings, D. D., the first Presbyterian clergyman from Scotland to settle in Toronto, which city was then known as Little York.
Born and reared in Toronto, John J. Creelman attended the public schools and Upper Canada College where, upon his graduation in 1900, he won the governor general’s medal. His classical course was pursued in the University of Toronto, from which he graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1904. His legal training was received in McGill University, where he was created B. C. L. in 1907. The same year he pursued a special course in the University of Grenoble, after which he entered upon the active work of his profession as advocate and solicitor. Not only did he secure an extensive and important clientele but he also became an active factor in political circles through his appointment in 1908 as parliamentary secretary to the chairman of the committee upon banking and commerce in the Canadian senate. He is a member of the law firm of Casgrain, Mitchell, McDougall & Creelman. His invested interests also indicate extensive and important connection with commercial and industrial activities. He is now a director of the Canadian British Insulated Company, Limited; the Chamberlain & Hookham Meter Company, Limited; the Lancashire Dynamo & Motor Company of Canada, Limited; the Canadian Union Electric Company, Limited; and Fraser & Chalmers of Canada, Limited. He is likewise vice president of E. M. Sellon & Company, Limited. His varied activities have made him a close and interested student of the signs of the times, with a ready and accurate understanding of cause and effect in many of the great vital and significant problems before the country. His researches and logical deductions in the field of transportation have made him an authority upon the subject of railway economics and by reason thereof he was appointed lecturer on that subject for McGill in 1913. In this connection he has become a member of the Canadian Institute and of the National Tax Association.
The spirit of progress which has actuated his entire life has been equally strongly manifest in his military connections. In 1895 he was a member of the Upper Canada College Rifle Company; in 1899 a trooper in the Governor General’s Bodyguard of Toronto, of which he became a lieutenant in the following year. In 1905 he was transferred to the Third “Montreal” Field Battery and in 1909 was commissioned major in command thereof. In 1912 he became lieutenant colonel in command of the Sixth Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery, and in 1911 he represented Canada on the coronation contingent at the coronation of King George V. From 1911 until 1914 he has been a member of the executive of the Canadian Artillery Association. In 1913 he passed the militia staff course. He is upon the council of the Montreal Reform Club and is a liberal in his political views.
At Galveston, Texas, on the 24th of June, 1908, Mr. Creelman was united in marriage to Miss Katharine M. Weekes, a daughter of Nicholas Weekes, a confederate veteran of the Civil war, and at one time a railroad president andbanker of Galveston. Mrs. Creelman is a graduate of the Bishop Strachan School of Toronto and by her marriage has become the mother of a son, John Ashmore Creelman, representative of the family in the fifth generation in Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Creelman hold membership in St. Paul’s Presbyterian church of Montreal, and he is a prominent club man, belonging to the University, Engineers, Royal Montreal Golf, Thistle Curling and Canadian Clubs of Montreal; the University and Military Clubs of Toronto; and the Junior Army and Navy Club of London, England. In addition to a residence in Montreal he has a country home at Mont Tremblant, where the summer seasons are spent.
Thomas Phillips, remembered as one of the builders of the Rideau canal and as the holder of extensive property interests in Montreal, was born in Woodbury, Devonshire, England. He became a resident of Montreal about 1808 and for a time was engaged in the brewing business. The years chronicled the growth of his business both in extent and importance and he had attained a position of prominence that recommended him for onerous responsibilities when the Rideau canal project was under way. He became one of the builders of the canal and in that and in other connections was a very active man. Early and judicious investments in real estate made him the owner of much valuable property, including a tract of land extending from the foot of the mountain to Lagauchetiere West, including what is now Beaver Hall Hill and Phillips square, the latter named in honor of the family. Their home, a palatial residence, was situated on Beaver Hall Hill.
Mr. Phillips married Miss Martha Anderson, a native of New England, and they became the parents of nine children: George, Eleanor, Thomas, Alfred, Martha, Mrs. Julia Ashworth, William, Esther and Mrs. Elizabeth Capel. Of these, only Miss Esther Phillips is now living. The father died in 1842, while the mother, long surviving him, passed away in 1881. They were members of the English Cathedral church and Mr. Phillips was a most public-spirited man who recognized the needs and opportunities of his city and sought to compass the former and utilize the latter. He was numbered among those of the early half of the nineteenth century who laid the foundation upon which has been built the present prosperity and greatness of the city.
George Archibald Campbell, head of the legal firm of Campbell, McMaster & Papineau, of Montreal, was born in this city, September 26, 1875, a son of the Rev. Robert Campbell, D. D., an ex-moderator of the general assembly of the Presbyterian church in Canada and for more than fifty years one of the foremost divines of that denomination. His mother was the late Margaret (Macdonnell)Campbell. Both parents were of Scotch descent and were members of families prominent in the clerical and legal professions.
George Archibald Campbell supplemented his course of study in the Montreal high school by a course in McGill University, where he was graduated with first rank honors in 1896, upon the completion of the arts’ course. In preparation for the bar he then entered the law department and won his B. C. L. degree in 1901. He received the Macdonald traveling scholarship in law and he supplemented his instruction received at McGill by attending lectures at the Universities of Paris, Grenoble and Montpelier, France. He received his practical legal education largely under the direction of Donald Macmaster, K. C., M. P., and was called to the bar in July, 1901. Subsequently he became a member of the firm of Macmaster, Hickson & Campbell and entered upon the active practice of his profession, in which he has now continued for thirteen years, his record being marked by an orderly progression that has brought him to an enviable position as a representative of the Montreal bar. He is now practicing as the senior partner in the legal firm of Campbell, McMaster & Papineau. In May, 1912, he was created a king’s counsel by Lieutenant Governor Langelier.
On the 20th of January, 1909, Mr. Campbell was married in Montreal to Miss Amy G. Dawson, elder daughter of William V. Dawson, head of the importing and manufacturing company of W. V. Dawson, Limited, of Montreal. Their religious faith is evidenced by their membership in the Presbyterian church. Mr. Campbell’s political views accord with the principles of the conservative party, and he is a member of the Liberal-Conservative Club. Something of the nature of his interests and recreation outside the strict path of his profession or in the field of citizenship is shown through his membership in the Montreal, University, Beaconsfield Golf, Hermitage Country and Canadian Clubs. He is also a member of the Montreal Art Association. He finds enjoyment in golf and in motorboating and also takes delight in amateur farming, all of which constitute an even balance to his intense professional activity.
Dr. Walter James Prendergast, a successful practicing physician, well read and holding ever to high professional standards, was born in August, 1857, at Cote des Neiges, before it became a part of Montreal. His father, Walter Prendergast, leaving his native Ireland, came to Canada in early life and for a number of years conducted a hotel at Cote des Neiges, but retired many years prior to his death. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Joanna Griffith, was a representative of an old family of Sherbrooke, Quebec.
Dr. Walter J. Prendergast pursued his education at St. Mary’s, from which he received the degree of B. A., and afterward spent three years as a student in McGill University, but finished his professional course at Bishop’s College, from which he was graduated with the M. D. degree in 1880. He remained throughout his later career a close student of his profession and thus his knowledge constantly broadened. Immediately following his graduation he began practice in Cote des Neiges and after ten years spent there removed to the city of Montreal,remaining in practice on St. Denis Street until his death. His widow and children returned to the old family home on Cote des Neiges road, where they now reside. Dr. Prendergast was a general practitioner and was much interested in his profession. In fact, anything which tended to bring to man the key to the complex mystery which we call life was of interest to him and he ever read broadly upon subjects having to do with the safeguarding and restoration of health. In his professional capacity he did great good and was very charitable, for he would respond again and again to the call of the needy even when he knew there was no chance of remuneration for his services.
In Montreal, in 1892, Dr. Prendergast was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Scanlan, a daughter of Michael and Alice (Duggan) Scanlan. The latter, born in Montreal, was a daughter of Patrick Duggan, for many years a contractor of this city. For a half century Mr. Scanlan was connected with the growth of the import and export trade of this country. When seventeen years of age, or in 1857, he entered the service of David Torrance & Company and in 1872, when the Dominion line was established, he became wharf superintendent, which position he held until his death. During that period he was tireless in the faithful performance of his duty and in carrying out the wishes and furthering the interests of the corporation which he represented. Whether in Montreal, in Portland, Maine, or in Boston, Massachusetts, or wherever his duties called him he was the same genial, courteous gentleman, ever watchful of the interests under his care. He died October 20, 1907, at the age of sixty-seven years.
Dr. and Mrs. Prendergast became the parents of four children who survive, namely: Aileen, Walter Francis, Harold and Kathleen. Dr. Prendergast was a man of domestic habits, devoted to the welfare of his family. He was public-spirited and was interested in all those things which work for good and progress. In politics he was a liberal. He was a communicant of St. Agnes Catholic church, and belonged to the Knights of Columbus.
Dr. Prendergast passed away January 21, 1910. Those who knew him—and he had an extensive acquaintance—entertained for him warm regard and many there are who have reason to bless his memory because of timely aid which he rendered them. His practice extended among the poor as well as the rich because of his benevolent nature and it is probable that he derived greater satisfaction from his ministrations to the former than to the latter, for his kindly spirit prompted him to reach out in helpfulness at all times.
Edouard Biron, a prominent representative of the notarial profession, having been appointed secretary of the board of notaries for the district of Montreal on the 10th of July, 1912, was born on the 20th of August, 1877, in the city which is still his place of residence, his father being Samuel Biron, who was a wholesale grocer, conducting business at the corner of McGill and Notre Dame Streets up to the time of his death in December, 1883. The mother was Dame Philomene Olivier.
EDOUARD BIRONEDOUARD BIRON
EDOUARD BIRON
Edouard Biron was a student in St. Mary’s College in Montreal until graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in June, 1897. He next entered Laval University, where he won the LL. D. degree in June, 1900. He became a notary in July of the same year, practicing alone until February, 1903, when he formed a partnership with J. A. Savignac under the name of Biron & Savignac, an association which was maintained for more than ten years, or until September, 1913. On the 1st of that month the present firm of Biron, Savignac, Coderre & Poirier was formed. In addition to the business of that firm Mr. Biron, as previously stated, is acting as secretary of the board of notaries for the district of Montreal, through appointment received in July, 1912. He stands as a prominent representative of his profession and one whose ability in this line is unquestioned. As he has prospered he has made investment in property and is holder of some valuable Montreal real estate.
On the 1st of September, 1902, Mr. Biron was married to Miss Blanche Fleury, a daughter of the late A. Fleury, who was a merchant of Montreal. Mr. and Mrs. Biron are the parents of four children: Germaine, ten years of age; Roger, eight years; Marcel, six years; and Suzanne, a little maiden of five summers. The religious faith of the family is that of the Roman Catholic church. Mr. Biron is general secretary of L’Association St. Jean Baptiste de Montreal and he belongs to the St. Denis and Canadian Clubs and the Club Canadien of Montreal.
Edmund Phillips Hannaford engraved his name high on the roll of the promoters of railway interests in Canada. To no other single agency is progress so largely indebted as to railway building and thus it is that E. P. Hannaford deserves to be numbered among the public benefactors of his country. Throughout his entire life he was connected with railway projects and the superb engineering department of the Grand Trunk system is largely a monument to his skill, ability and sagacity. A native of Devonshire, England, Mr. Hannaford was born at Stoke Gabriel, on the 12th of December, 1834, and he was a youth of but seventeen years when he entered the railway service as draftsman and assistant under Sir I. K. Brunel. Through the succeeding four years he was a member of the engineering corps of the South Devon Railway and in 1856 he became identified with the development of railway projects in Canada. Following his arrival in the new world he became connected with the Grand Trunk Railway and acted as assistant engineer of the company from 1857 until 1866. In the latter year he was appointed chief engineer of the western division and further promotion awaited him in his appointment in 1869 to the position of chief engineer of the company. He remained in that connection for twenty-seven years, resigning from active work in 1896. He was in charge of the engineering department during the period of the greatest development of the railway and managed the construction of all new lines and stations of the company. His particular talent made him very successful in drawing up the plans of yards or overcoming any difficulty in the way of construction. Nobetter proof of his work can be given than the fact that it is now generally admitted that the Grand Trunk has one of the best lines of any railway in Canada. The general offices at Point St. Charles were also erected under his direction.
In addition to his work in connection with the Grand Trunk Railway Mr. Hannaford in 1879 was named chief engineer of the Montreal & Champlain Junction Railway. Ten years before he had been chief engineer of the International bridge and in 1883 he became chief engineer of the Jacques Cartier Union and United States and Canada Railways.
It was in 1859, in Belleville, Ontario, that Mr. Hannaford was united in marriage to Miss Mary W. Roy, a daughter of Robert Maitland Roy, of Scotland, who became a resident of Belleville in 1837. He served in the war of the rebellion in defense of his country’s interests and long held public office, serving for a quarter of a century as town clerk. Mr. and Mrs. Hannaford became the parents of seven children, of whom four survived the father: Elizabeth, who was Mrs. Harry B. Eastty, of Mount Vernon, New York, and died August 3, 1913; R. Maitland, assistant chief engineer of the Montreal Street Railway Company; Edmund P., who is located at Corpus Christi, Texas; and Miss Mary R. Hannaford, at home.
Mr. Hannaford belonged to the Church of St. James the Apostle and his social nature found expression in his membership in the St. James Club. He was a public-spirited man, deeply interested in all that pertained to the welfare and upbuilding of Canada, yet his tastes inclined him to domesticity and in the home circle he was a most devoted husband and father. He was a man of fine personal appearance and impressive manner, yet withal was most genial and affable, and, wherever he went and formed acquaintanceship, it constituted the beginning of warm and enduring friendships.
Mr. Hannaford died August 18, 1902.
Robert Carlyle Jamieson, who stood as a man among men, ready to meet any obligation of life with the confidence and courage that come of conscious personal ability, right conception of things and an habitual regard for what is best in the exercise of human activities, was born in Glengarry, Ontario, in 1836. He was a cousin of Thomas Carlyle, philosopher and historian, and a son of William Jamieson, a gentleman farmer, who married Jean Brodie, also a native of Scotland, and on coming to Canada settled in Glengarry.
Their son Robert Carlyle Jamieson pursued his education in the place of his nativity to the age of sixteen years, when he left home and taught school at Hawkesbury. In 1856 he came to Montreal and thereafter to the time of his death, which occurred almost a half century later, he was a resident of this city. He built up a large and profitable business through his industry, thrift and unfaltering honesty. It was in 1858 that he began the manufacture of varnish on St. Thomas Street, there establishing a plant that is yet conducted by the firm. In 1882 he purchased the plant of the Baylis Manufacturing Company,manufacturers of paints and colors, and later bought the plant of P. D. Dodds & Company at St. Patrick and Island Streets, where the main office is now located. Thus the business has steadily grown and developed, Mr. Jamieson remaining the active head of the firm to the time of his demise. Year by year the trade has increased until it today extends all over Canada and a branch office is maintained in Vancouver, British Columbia. Mr. Jamieson devoted his entire life to the upbuilding and control of this industry, which is still conducted by his sons under the style of the R. C. Jamieson Company, Ltd. It became one of the chief productive industries of the city and constituted and still remains a source of gratifying revenue to the stockholders.
In 1863, in Montreal, Mr. Jamieson was married to Miss Harriet Josephine McGowan, who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, a daughter of John H. McGowan, who on leaving his native place, Aberdeen, Scotland, settled at Cincinnati, Ohio, but during the early ’60s removed to Montreal. Mr. and Mrs. Jamieson had a family of seven children, all of whom survive: Harriet A., now Mrs. W. de M. Marler; Helen L., the wife of A. W. Cochrane; Dr. William Hoves; Walter Lockhart; Robert Harry; Frederick Carlyle; and Ernest Temple. The death of the husband and father occurred February 17, 1905.
Mr. Jamieson was a man who occupied an honorable and enviable position in the regard of his fellows. His life work was permeated by noble and upright principles and he was untiring in his efforts to do good. He was one of the original governors of the House of Industry and Reform and for twenty years he was treasurer of the Congregational College. He served as deacon in Emanuel church and was one of the first trustees when the house of worship was erected in 1875. At one time he served on the council of the Board of Trade and he was one of the first members of both the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association and the Montreal Curling Club. He was solicited to accept many important offices, both city and provincial, but refused, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business interests and duties and his activities in behalf of his fellow men along the lines of reform, intellectual progress and moral development.
Although a native of Scotland, born in Kintyre, John Keith Macdonald spent almost his entire active life in Montreal, where he arrived when a youth of sixteen years. He believed that better business opportunities awaited him on this side of the Atlantic and he made his initial step as an apprentice at the machinist’s trade under his uncle, John Boyd. Applying himself closely to the tasks assigned him, his knowledge and skill developed day by day until he became an expert workman in that line. Laudable ambition prompted the development of his latent powers and awakened in him the desire to engage in business on his own account, so that eventually he organized the firm of J. K. Macdonald, general machinists and contractors for iron work. Mr. Macdonald continually added to his knowledge through experience, reading and investigation along his chosen line and he continued in the business until his death, becoming one of the well known and leading representatives of industrial activity in Montreal.
In Montreal, in 1867, Mr. Macdonald was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Mackay, a daughter of Norman Mackay, of Glengarry, where he was born and spent his life. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Macdonald were born six children, five of whom are living, Mrs. Janette Macfarlane, Norman, Duncan, George and Margaret. The family circle was broken by the hand of death when Mr. Macdonald passed away at the age of sixty-three years. He was a Presbyterian in religious faith and his life was passed in consistent harmony with his professions, making him a man whom to know was to respect and honor.
Colonel Edward Ashworth Whitehead, for many years one of the best known insurance agents and brokers of Montreal, his native city, was born April 16, 1845, and was here educated. He was the head of E. A. Whitehead & Company, insurance agents and brokers, for many years and thus became widely known in financial circles. In this connection he helped to build up the great insurance business conducted under the name of The E. A. Whitehead Company, Limited.
He had perhaps an even wider acquaintance through his military connections, for his military career was long, distinguished and honorable. He was one of the oldest officers in the volunteer military service in the Dominion and as original member of the Victoria Rifles he rose from the ranks to the command of the regiment and was placed on the list of reserve officers in 1876. He was on active duty during the Fenian raids from 1866 until 1870, was present at Eccles Hill and for his service received a general service medal with two clasps, while his active duty at the time of the Northwest rebellion in 1885 also won him a medal. He was chief transport officer under Colonel Middleton and held a long service decoration and he was a member of the Royal Commission on Canadian War Claims in 1885-6.
Colonel Whitehead was a veteran amateur athlete, was one of the founders of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association and its first honorary president. In 1908 he was a member of the Canadian Olympic Games Committee and he was also a director of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. In Club circles he was long popular and prominent, holding membership in the Mount Royal Club; the St. James Club, of which he served as chairman; the Royal Montreal Golf Club; Forest and Stream Club; Montreal Hunt Club; Montreal Jockey Club; Montreal Curling Club; Montreal Polo Club; St. George Snow Shoe Club; the Isleway Club; the Military Institute; and the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club.
The end came to Colonel Whitehead September 7, 1912. He seemed almost to the last in the prime of life, his fine figure being erect and soldierly, and the years rested lightly upon him. His eye could still sweep down the long lines of the regiment, his step was elastic and he was enjoying life in all the mental riches that follow a career of activity and usefulness. The Victoria Rifles felt great pride in his brilliant record and in that regiment he was an outstanding figure, a symbol of duty well done, while his memory will ever be to them an inspiration for loyalty in the King’s service. In January, 1912, he was theleading figure at the dinner given by the regiment to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of its organization. He had been one of the first to spring to the colors when the corps was organized and had carried those colors in many fields. Even as in his youth, ready to fight for his flag, Colonel Whitehead was as willing to go to its defense in later years, when it might have been supposed that the fire of youth had died down. Years rolled onward, changes came and brought with them the boy scout movement. This appealed strongly to his military spirit and he entered heartily into the work of supporting and furthering the cause. Money was needed; he supplied it. He also raised the money for the trip to Europe a few years ago. He had always loved boys, the military had always been dear to him and in the boy scout movement these two were combined.
Col. WhiteheadCol. Whitehead
Col. Whitehead
Colonel Whitehead was a man to whom a worthy appeal was never made in vain. His heart took in a great circle of friends and his purse was open to all calls of charity.
In the field of sport he was well to the front. In early manhood he was an excellent lacrosse player and old timers remember the games in which he participated against the Shamrocks for the Claxton flags in the early ’60s. He was also a splendid sprinter, making a notable record in the hundred-yard dash. This love of sport he retained to the last and he was a life member of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, of which he at one time served as president.
Trouble did not pass him by, but through all he was the same kindly, upright gentleman, maintaining a high sense of duty and honor. In 1899 death robbed him of his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Whitehead, daughter of William Newcomb, whom he had married in 1868; and his son, E. A. Whitehead, Jr., died in 1908.
Edward Ashworth Whitehead, Jr., son of Colonel Edward Ashworth Whitehead, was born in Montreal in 1869 and acquired his education in England and in Kingston, Ontario, where he was graduated with honors at the Royal Military College. He was connected with The E. A. Whitehead Company, Limited, and for many years was a special agent for Montreal of the Phoenix Assurance Company, Limited, of London and was as popular in business as he was in social circles.
Mr. Whitehead, Jr., married Miss May Sicotte, a daughter of Victor Benjamin Sicotte, district magistrate at St. Hyacinthe and a granddaughter of Hon. Louis Sicotte, premier of Canada. Three children were born to them: Edward Ashworth, who is the third of the name to continue the business of The E. A. Whitehead Company, Limited; George Victor, a student at Bishop’s College School; and Margaret Whitehead.
Robert Linton became well known in the business circles of Montreal in connection with the manufacture of woolen goods. He was regarded as a resourceful business man whose enterprise, progress and laudable ambition were constantly manifest in the success which he won. A native of Ireland, he was born in Newtown-Limavady in 1834, a son of Samuel and Martha Linton, who brought their family to the new world during the boyhood of their son, Robert. Settlingin Montreal, their remaining days were passed in this city but both have long since departed this life.
Robert Linton acquired his education in the schools of Montreal and received his business training with the firm of William Stephen & Company. Of that firm Lord Mount Stephen was a partner and eventually took over the business upon the death of the senior member of the firm. Continuing in active connection with the business Robert Linton grew in usefulness and capability, as he thoroughly acquainted himself with the duties that devolved upon him. After the death of William Stephen the business was conducted by George Stephen & Company for some time and Mr. Linton was admitted to partnership in 1857. Upon the retirement of George Stephen, later Lord Mount Stephen, the business of the firm of George Stephen & Company was combined with that of Andrew Robertson under the firm style of Robertson, Linton & Company, this connection continuing until 1898, when the business was closed out.
Mr. Linton was married twice. At Three Rivers, Quebec, he wedded Miss Margaret McDougall, and they became the parents of six children, as follows: Robert M., deceased; Margaret M., who is Mrs. Denaston Breakey, of Breakeyville, Quebec; Ernest, a resident of Ottawa; Agnes H, who is Mrs. F. N. Southam, of Montreal; Percy L., deceased; and Alice L., who married Herbert Carter, of Montreal. The second marriage of Robert Linton was also celebrated at Three Rivers, Miss Margaret Paterson, daughter of John Paterson, becoming his wife on the 20th of October, 1886.
Mr. Linton was ever actively interested in those projects and measures bearing upon the progress, upbuilding and development of the city as well as upon his business affairs. He was widely recognized as an honorable and upright man, in whose life there were no esoteric phases. He was a member of the Montreal Board of Trade, a life governor of the Montreal General Hospital, and a justice of the peace for a few years before his death. He passed away in November, 1899, after having gained for himself a most creditable position in business circles and in the regard of his fellowmen.
A history of the insurance business in Montreal would be incomplete without mention of Arthur O. Kavanagh, who for many years figured prominently in connection therewith. He was one of the city’s native sons, born April 12, 1860, and in its schools pursued his education, while in the school of experience he also learned many valuable and practical lessons, thus constantly adding to his knowledge and ability. The family name indicates his Irish lineage and he manifested the sterling characteristics of the race. He was engaged in business with his brother, Walter Kavanagh, and they became prominent figures in insurance circles, representing the Scottish Union & National Insurance Company, the German-American Insurance Company and the Rochester German Insurance Company, of which they were chief agents. Arthur Kavanagh familiarized himself with every phase of the business and had gained a most creditable position as an alert progressive man and one ready to meet any emergency in business, whendeath called him on the 14th of September, 1896, when he was yet in the prime of life.
He had been married in Montreal less than five years before, having on the 7th of October, 1891, wedded Alice Mullin, a native of this city and a daughter of Patrick Mullin, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this publication. They became the parents of three sons: Harold Henry; Arthur Patrick, who died at the age of six years; and Walter John. Deep regret was felt at the passing of Mr. Kavanagh, because of his comparatively early age and because he had gained a firm hold upon the affectionate regard of his business associates and his many friends.
Patrick Mullin had traveled life’s journey for more than four score years when he was called from this life on the 14th of August, 1913. He was a native of Tyrone, Ireland, and for more than six decades was a resident of Montreal, arriving in this city in 1850. He was associated with various business enterprises. With his brother, James E. Mullin, he became associated with another brother, John Mullin, who had, in 1845, established a wholesale grocery business, which they conducted on College Street, now St. Paul Street. There they built up a very extensive and successful enterprise, their patronage constantly growing, as their trade interests extended over a wide territory. In the early years of the business there were practically no railroads in this section of the continent, while means of water transportation were but slightly developed. They hauled much of their stock with teams and, notwithstanding the difficulties involved, they were enterprising enough to compete for business as far west as Toronto. Their merchandise was taken from Montreal to that city by team, the journey requiring two weeks. John Mullin died in 1853, after which the business was conducted by James E. and Patrick Mullin, under the firm name of J. E. Mullin & Company. Both brothers had great faith in the ultimate growth and prosperity of the city and because of this they made large investments in real estate, gradually acquiring the ownership of the block upon which they conducted their business, extending from the rear of the Grand Trunk offices to the Haymarket. Patrick Mullin also invested in other real estate until his holdings were extensive and important. The large block which the brothers acquired on St. Paul and William Streets later became the location of the present plant of the Canada Cold Storage Company and Mr. Mullin became a pioneer in that line of business in the city. He was a man of indefatigable energy and strong purpose and as the years passed on he carried forward to successful completion whatever he undertook.
Mr. Mullin was united in marriage, in Montreal, to Alice O’Neil, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland. She died on November 29, 1903, the mother of seven children, as follows: Mary A., the wife of Joseph A. Cloran, of Boston, Massachusetts; Margaret J.; Alice, the widow of Arthur O. Kavanagh; John F., who died in March, 1904, aged twenty-nine years; Patrick; Elizabeth M., who is Mrs. Harry J. Trihey; and Emma M., wife of William J. Hart.
A long and useful life was Mr. Mullin’s. He was a man of quiet habits, but greatly enjoyed a good game of forty-five. In manner he was always courteous, kindly, and considerate to others. In religious faith he was a Catholic and devoted much time to increasing the usefulness of St. Bridget’s Home and of St. Patrick’s Asylum, being a trustee of the latter institution. He gave liberally to the church and did everything in his power to promote its influence.
Rosaire Dupuis, one of the rising young notaries of Montreal, is a son of Louis Napoleon Dupuis and Melanie Panet Levesque. The father is ex-controller of Montreal and one of the founders of the well known mercantile house of Dupuis Freres, Limited. The mother of Rosaire Dupuis is a daughter of the late Pierre Thomas Levesque and comes from a family that has for generations been prominent in the judicial and legislative history of the province and Dominion. Mr. Dupuis was born in the parish of La Longue Pointe on the 17th of October, 1888. He made his classical course at L’Assomption College, from which he was graduated in 1908 with the degree of Bachelor of Science. He then took up the study of law in Laval University in 1908 and won his LL. L. degree upon graduation with the class of June, 1911. During the summer seasons of 1909 and 1910 he attended the famous Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie, New York, where he was graduated with honors on the 30th of August, 1910. During the succeeding year he traveled abroad, visiting the Holy Land and many European countries.