The Old Stone Fort remained in the Roberts family until it was purchased by Perkins Brothers in 1901; after which it was torn down, the material given to the Cum Concilio Club of Nacogdoches, who used the stones in the erection of the Stone Fort Memorial in 1907 at the northwest corner of Washington Square, where it remained as a museum until 1936, when the State of Texas again used the material from the Old Stone Fort in the erection of the present Replica of the Old Stone Fort on the beautiful campus of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College at the intersection of Griffith and Clark Boulevards.
REPLICA OF THE OLD STONE FORTReplica of the Old Stone Fort, erected by the State of Texas as a part of its Centennial program, 1936. It stands on the campus of the Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College and is maintained by the State as a museum.
REPLICA OF THE OLD STONE FORTReplica of the Old Stone Fort, erected by the State of Texas as a part of its Centennial program, 1936. It stands on the campus of the Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College and is maintained by the State as a museum.
THE MISSIONS AND PRESIDIO.—During the summer of 1716, under the direction of Captain Don Domingo Ramon, three missions and a presidio were erected in the present Nacogdoches county. The Presidio Nuestra Senora de los Dolores, built in 1716, was repaired and enlarged by the Marquis de Aguayo in 1721, and abandoned about 1730. Built by the Spanish government as a fort and headquarters for soldiers guarding the East Texas Missions and the borders of the New Philippines, it overlooked Los Terreros or Mill creek, near the intersection of the Lower Douglass road with the road from Douglass to Wells.
The Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purissima Concepcion was built 1.25 miles northeast of Goodman crossing of the Angelina river, near “two bubbling springs” in the heart of the Hainai Indian village. In 1731 this mission was moved to San Antonio where it now stands.
The Mission San Jose de los Nazonis was built 2.6 miles northeast of the present town of Cushing, overlooking Dill creek. In 1731 this mission was also removed to San Antonio, where it was called San Juan Capistrano.
Mission Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe was founded at the same time on the west side of North street in Nacogdoches, overlooking Banito creek, which was called “the creek of the mission.” This mission was never permanently abandoned until it was replaced by the church which stood on the little plaza in front of the present court house, built in 1802. The third Catholic church was formerly the home of Nathaniel Norris at the northwest corner of Hospital and North streets. The fourth church was the Sacred Heart church on Pecan street, built in 1847 under the influence of Bishop J. N. Odin; which was in turn replaced by the present Sacred Heart church, built in 1937 on a portion of the homestead of Judge Charles S. Taylor on North street, the house of the old Sacred Heart church being rebuilt about eight miles south of Nacogdoches as the Fern Lake church. The sites of the presidio and missions have been appropriately marked by the State of Texas.
OLD STAGE STAND NEAR CHIRENO.—On Highway 21 about two miles west of the town of Chireno is a very old house on the north side of the road. It was built in the early forties of last century by Mr. James B. Johnson, who was the first mayor of San Augustine. It was used as a halfway station between San Augustine and Nacogdoches for the old Concord coaches used at that time for mail and passenger service. Here the horses were changed and passengers had meals. Another station on the same coach line stands in the town of Douglass, fourteen miles west of Nacogdoches.
EYES OF FATHER MARGIL.—The old Spanish legend relates that in the first year after the Mission Guadalupe was built there was a great drouth and water was scarce. Father Margil went out in faith and smote the rock on the bank of LaNana creek, which had completely dried up, and two unfailing springs gushed out. They were called “Los Ojos de Padre Margil,” The Eyes of Father Margil, and are located in what was formerly known as Mims Park, now a pasture in the rear of the J. R. Gray residence.
RESIDENCE OF PETER ELLIS BEAN.—One of the members of Nolan’s expedition; was captured by Lieut. Musquiz and held prisoner many years in Mexico. During the Revolution under Morelos he made his escape and joined the revolutionary forces. Settled in East Texas and had several homes there. One of these was on the Carrizo creek, on the upper Melrose road, four and one-fourth miles east of Nacogdoches. Marked by the State of Texas.
OAK GROVE CEMETERY.—The State of Texas has placed granite markers at the graves of the four signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence who are buried in this cemetery: Thomas J. Rusk, Charles S. Taylor and John S. Roberts, who represented the Municipality of Nacogdoches, and William Clark, who represented Sabine District. The graves of the following veterans of the Battle of San Jacinto have also been marked: E. E. Hamilton, Capt. Hayden Arnold. Markers have been placed at the graves of Haden Edwards, empresario and leader of the Fredonians, and his wife, Susan Beal Edwards; General Kelsey Harris Douglass, commander-in-chief of the forces that drove the Indians out of East Texas in 1839; Dr. Robert Anderson Irion, Secretary of State in the Cabinet of Sam Houston, first president of the Republic of Texas, and Thos. Y. Buford.
GRAVE OF WILLIAM GOYENS.—Goyens family cemetery, four miles southwest of Nacogdoches, near Aylitos creek. Only negro to be honored by the State of Texas with a Centennial marker. Participated in Battle of New Orleans. Came to Texas in 1821. Indian Agent under Mexican government, lawyer in Alcalde court. Participated in the Texas Revolution in 1836; noted for his private charities. Although the Constitution of Republic and State both forbade the holding of land by negroes, Goyens amassed a considerable fortune with his land deals and was owner of thousands of acres of land at his death in 1856. His white wife, whom he married in 1828, is buried by his side.
GRIFFITH PARK.—The park fronting North street and extending from Caroline street on the south to the southern border of the campus of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College on the north. Given to the city of Nacogdoches by the Griffith heirs in memory of Dr. L. E. Griffith and his wife, Sarah Jane Clark Griffith, and Dr. Griffith’s brother, Alfred. Dr. L. E. Griffith came to Nacogdoches from San Augustine about 1850 and was one of the builders of modern Nacogdoches. The park was dedicated to Dr. Griffith and the early pioneers of Nacogdoches.
INDIAN MOUNDS.—On the corner of the school campus at Mound and Arnold streets, was a large Indian Mound 150×75 feet and about fifteen feet high. On the corner opposite was a circular Mound about 75 feet in diameter. These Mounds were leveled to make room on the campus. One small mound still remains on the front lawn of the T. M. Reavley home. An oak tree of considerable size grows from the summit of it. (Seeback cover).
OLD NORTH CHURCH.—About four miles north near Highway 35, North Church was built in 1838, but the congregation had met for some time before the house was built, under an oak tree, the lower part of the trunk of which still stands. It was first known as Union church, being intended for two bodies of Baptists as well as other denominations. It has since become the property of the Missionary Baptists, who hold regular services there. The old cemetery contains the graves of many of the early settlers of Nacogdoches county. Marked by the State of Texas.
ADOLPHUS STERNE’S HOME.—The old home of Adolphus Sterne is situated on LaNana street, formerly called Sterne street. Built about 1830, in this house General Sam Houston was baptized into the Roman Catholic church in May, 1833. Now known as the Hoya home. Marked by the State of Texas.
NACOGDOCHES UNIVERSITY.—The Nacogdoches University was established in 1845, and at first occupied the “Old Red House” on Pilar street. Later the Sons of Temperance Hall was acquired, and in 1856 the present high school campus was donated to the University and given the name of Washington Square. Two buildings were erected—a frame building for the Female Department of the University, and a brick house for the Male Department. The brick structure still stands in the center of the group of buildings. Marked by the State of Texas.
EPISCOPAL CHURCH.—The first Episcopal Church stood on Church street.
OLD SPANISH CEMETERY.—Where the courthouse now stands, was used from 1800 to 1825. The burial place of many of the earliest settlers of Nacogdoches, among whom was Antonio Gil Ybarbo, founder of Modern Nacogdoches. Marked by the State of Texas.
THE PROTESTANT ELM.—The noted Elm Tree stood immediately east of the Southern Pacific freight depot and just south of a brick warehouse now there. Henry Stephenson preached under this tree in 1819.
HOSPITAL STREET.—The old Spanish hospital, from which the street derives its name, was situated on the corner of Pecan and Hospital, in front of the Methodist church. Across Pecan street was the old Cabildo or jail, built in 1835. Adjoining it on the west was the Hall of the Sons of Temperance during the period of the Republic of Texas. On the block where the First Presbyterian church now stands was the old Bull Ring, where bull fights were held during the Spanish and Mexican regime.
THE OLD SOLEDAD.—Famous throughout East Texas prior to 1800 as the headquarters of William Barr and Samuel Davenport, Indian traders; was located on the block on which the Texan Theatre now stands. Marked by the State of Texas.
THE RED HOUSE.—About 1827 Colonel Piedras, comandante of the Mexican garrison in Nacogdoches, built a house—part adobe and part frame—on Pilar street in the block west of the Square, for the accommodation of his officers and as headquarters for his forces. After the Texas Revolution this house was sold under execution on a judgment against Colonel Jose de las Piedras and became the property of Gen. Thomas J. Rusk. General Rusk made his home there when he first came to Nacogdoches in 1835, and remained there for eight or nine years. In 1845 the University of Nacogdoches used it for class rooms. Later it was used by various parties as an inn.
THOMAS F. McKINNEY.—Site of mercantile establishment of Thomas F. McKinney—1823-1830. As senior member of the firm of McKinney and Williams, built first wharf at Galveston. Financial adviser of the Republic and creator of the Texas Navy. Site marked by the State of Texas.
HOMES IN NACOGDOCHES.—Sites of the following residences of early settlers of Nacogdoches have been marked by the State of Texas:
James Dill, southeast corner of North and Hospital streets. Pioneer Indian trader; recognized by King of Spain. First alcalde of Nacogdoches, 1821. Home built in 1804.
William Clark, Jr., northwest corner Main and North streets, signer of Texas Declaration of Independence, member Second Congress of the Republic of Texas. Home originally built by John J. Simpson in 1835, acquired by Clark in 1840.
Charles S. Taylor, southeast corner North street and Mims avenue. Born in London, 1808; died in Nacogdoches, November 1, 1865, Signer Texas Declaration of Independence. Land Commissioner 1833, Chief Justice Nacogdoches county 1837, Rio Grande Land Commissioner 1854. Home built before the Texas Revolution.
Don Juan Antonio Padilla, site now occupied by Westminster Presbyterian church on North street. Born in Nacogdoches on Rancho Santo Domingo; died in Houston 1839, while there on business. Served as an officer in the Spanish army; Secretary of State of Coahuila and Texas; Land Commissioner for Eastern Texas; delegate from Victoria county to the convention which declared Texas independent; member of deputation that demanded the surrender of Goliad, and volunteer to the Army of the Republic before San Antonio. Home built in 1830 on land granted to his grandfather.
Thomas J. Rusk, opposite campus of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers college, west side of North street; born 1803, died 1857. Hero of San Jacinto, Commander-in-Chief of the army 1836. Chief Justice of the Supreme Court 1839. President of the Constitutional Convention 1845. United States Senator 1846. Nacogdoches was his home from 1835 to 1857. Home built about 1844.
Antonio Gil Ybarbo, Main street, site now occupied by Cason-Monk Hardware store; born 1729, died 1809. Founder of modern Nacogdoches in 1770; builder of Old Stone Fort. This Spanish frontiersman matched wits with Spanish governors in the interest of the early settlers of this region.
Sam Houston, site now occupied by the Liberty Hotel. First home owned by Sam Houston in Texas. Erected by John Forbes, Commissary General of the Army of San Jacinto, in 1836. Purchased by Sam Houston in 1839.
John S. Roberts, on block facing south side of Plaza Principal; born 1796, died 1871. Came to Texas December, 1826. Participated in Fredonian Rebellion, a leader in the Battle of Nacogdoches 1832; delegate to Consultation, November 3, 1835; signer of Texas Declaration of Independence. Home originally built and occupied as a residence by Samuel Davenport during early years of the Nineteenth Century.
MOUNT STERLING.—Site of town of Mount Sterling; surveyed off for John Durst in 1837. One of important river ports for Nacogdoches for many years, at present known as Goodman crossing on the Angelina River. John Durst residence overlooked the boat landing and used as a refuge for his and his neighbors’ families during the Indian and Mexican troubles. Site marked by the State of Texas.
NORTH STREET.—Oldest street north of Mexico. Originally a street in the Nacogdoches Indian village leading to the road from Nacogdoches to the Nassonite village near Cushing. On this street the Mission Guadalupe was built in 1716. Travelled by Spanish missionaries, soldiers and settlers, French traders and American filibusterers before Anglo-American colonists came to make Texas their home. Marked by the State of Texas.
NACOGDOCHES COUNTY.—Marker placed by the State of Texas three miles north of Nacogdoches on east side of Highway 35.
The old King’s Highway, known to the Spaniards as “El Camino Real,” which runs through Nacogdoches, San Augustine and Sabine counties, was followed by La Salle and his men in 1685, at which time they spoke of this road as being “as well beaten a road as that from Paris to Orleans.” This road was followed by St. Dennis in 1714, as he was making his way from Natchitoches on Red River to San Juan Bautista on the Rio Grande. It was doubtless an Indian trail to the western borders of the Tejas Indians, probably about the Trinity river, and from there to San Antonio the best route was determined by use. After the Mexican Revolution and the coming of the American settlers it was straightened into a cart-road or Camino Carretera, and was known as the Old San Antonio Road. State Highway 21 now follows approximately the track of the old road.
Highway 21 leads east to San Augustine, the sister town to Nacogdoches from the earliest days, where are the sites of the old Mission of Dolores, the home of General James Pinckney Henderson, Governor O. M. Roberts, and many of the prominent men of the Republic of Texas. The home of Stephen W. Blount, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, many of whose descendants live in Nacogdoches and San Augustine, was built on the north side of the King’s Highway, and is in an excellent state of preservation.
Seven miles west of San Augustine on this highway was the home of Thomas S. McFarland, who laid out the town of San Augustine in 1834. The house was built about 1830 and was provided with port-holes for shooting Indians in case of attack.
Pendleton Ferry was the original ferry on the King’s Highway across the Sabine river; now spanned by a splendid interstate bridge. Not far from the road is McMahan’s Chapel, the first Methodist Church in Texas, and the site of old Sabine-town.
MASONIC LODGE.—Some time in the Spring of 1837, immediately following the organization of a permanent government in Nacogdoches county, a movement for the organization of a Masonic lodge began which culminated in a dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Louisiana for the Milam Lodge No. 40, which was dated July 29, 1837.
One of the leaders in the Masonic circles of Nacogdoches was Adolphus Sterne, who was a past master of a lodge in New Orleans, and also a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason, the first Scottish Rite Mason to come to Texas. Haden Edwards was also a past master of another lodge. The other charter members of Milam Lodge No. 40 were: Isaac W. Burton, John H. Hyde, George A. Nixon, John S. Roberts, Charles H. Sims, Frost Thorn, Simon Weiss, as Master Masons, and Kelsey H. Douglass and John W. Lowe as Estered Apprentice and Fellow Craft respectively.
The first meeting of the Lodge under dispensation was held in the Old Stone Fort on August 16, 1837, with the following present: Haden Edwards, Master; John H. Hyde, Senior Warden; J. S. Roberts, Junior Warden; Chas. H. Sims, Treasurer pro tem; Adolphus Sterne, Secretary pro tem; with George A. Nixon, Simon Weiss and J. W. Lowe, members. The Charter from the Grand Lodge of Louisiana was granted September 22, 1837, and was received in the Lodge on its meeting November 20, 1837.
Upon suggestions from Holland Lodge No. 36, Houston, Texas, a committee consisting of Adolphus Sterne, I. W. Burton, Thomas J. Rusk, Charles S. Taylor and Kelsey Douglass, was appointed to attend a meeting in Houston to consider the formation of the Grand Lodge of Texas. Their mission was accomplished in the city of Houston on February, 1838, with the organization of the Grand Lodge of Texas, and this lodge became Milam Lodge No. 2.
After the first meeting, the Lodge began using the upper floor of Simon Weiss’ store for its meeting-place, and during its long history, it held its meetings in several houses in Nacogdoches, but never succeeded in building its own permanent home until the completion of its present Temple in May, 1931, on North Fredonia street.
During the administration of Haden Edwards as Worshipful Master of Milam Lodge No. 40, one dozen chairs were made for the use of the Lodge, which were of hickory, turned on an old-fashioned lathe, with seats of rawhide. These chairs served the Lodge long and faithfully, and have witnessed the degrees conferred on every Mason made in Milam Lodge for 110 years. In 1914 a resolution was passed, instructing the worshipfulmaster to present to the old past masters then living and to the sons of those old pioneers that had passed away, one of these chairs, that they might be kept as relics and mementos of the long ago. One of them was retained by the Lodge and now occupies a prominent place in the East, there to remain for all time to come, never to be used again except it be by the President of the United States, the governor of Texas, or the Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas.
Many of the men prominent in the affairs of Texas have been members of Milam Lodge No. 2, and the minutes show Sam Houston a visitor on more than one occasion.
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE TEACHERS COLLEGENacogdoches, Texas
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE TEACHERS COLLEGENacogdoches, Texas
A glimpse of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College, the Thomas J. Rusk building on the right. General Rusk made his home in Nacogdoches from his arrival in Texas in 1834 until his death in 1857. He is buried in Oak Grove cemetery. The college buildings are located on the Thomas J. Rusk homestead.
BY VIRGIE SANDERS
BY VIRGIE SANDERS
The project of rebuilding the exterior of the historic Nacogdoches University, as recently proposed by the Nacogdoches school board, is now partially completed.
The sum allocated by the board has been used discreetly and the replacement of brick on outside walls, new window frames and panes with new lumber added supporting the antiquated structure, guarantees safety to the public school children who play on the hallowed ground of the Old Nacogdoches University built by subscription with some state aid during the days of the Texas Republic.
We feel that now is the time to emulate the spirit of the pioneers. Let us be awakened to this opportunity to complete the noble edifice, making it available to be used by the citizens as a club center and a museum.
Printed in theoffice ofTHE HERALD PUBLISHING CO.Nacogdoches, Texas
PRICE TEN CENTSPER COPY
INDIAN MOUNDLocated on Mound Street Opposite High School Building
INDIAN MOUNDLocated on Mound Street Opposite High School Building