XVFORT JESUP

FORT JESUP DEFENSE AREA

FORT JESUP DEFENSE AREA

It seems odd that all that had happened in the nearly three hundred years preceding was merely a prelude to a settlement on a vital point, this one hill top in Sabine Parish.

The Caddo Nation of Indians was first to recognize the importance of this land extending from San Antonio to Natchitoches and settled it. What these Indians did not settle or cultivate they commercialized, and they established trade routes there.

Cabeza De Vaca and his companions came in 1530. They claimed no land but were searching for a way out.

Hernando De Soto in 1541 came, but by the time he had reached the Adais, he, too, was searching for a way out. He claimed no land.

Robert de La Salle came down the Mississippi River in 1682 and claimed all land drained by that River for the King of France. In the history of a country there is always one man who has the imagination to see its possibilities and the ability and push to realize his ambitions. Such a man was La Salle.

La Salle’s second venture to the mouth of the Mississippi River resulted in failure. He came by sea, missed the mouth of the Mississippi River and settled on the coast of Texas where he later was killed. La Salle’s expedition, however, aroused the Spanish of Mexico, who then began to extend their operations further to the north.

Padre Hidalgo’s letter and St. Denis’ answer resulted in the settlement of El Camino Real from San Antonio to Natchitoches.Here, then, was cast the first seed, in form of settlers, who learned to live as the Indians—free as the wind, this newly found freedom had been felt by settlers and their descendants for over a hundred years.

The land of Sabine, “’tis mine,” said the Americans, “by right of purchase”; “’tis mine,” said the Spanish, “by the claim of Domingo Teran Del Rio of 1690.”

And so the Neutral Strip was established. Each nation begrudging the other every inch of it. A lawless land which must now be policed for the good of both nations.

The southwestern border of the United States was established by the Adams-Onis Treaty at Washington on February 22, 1821, as being the Sabine River; Adams representing the United States and Onis representing the New Republic of Mexico.

Would the settlers of the Neutral Strip and those from the Sabine River to the Rio Grande recognize the treaty of Washington? The Gutierrez-McGee filibuster expedition had proved that these people wished a new freedom. Not that of the United States or that of Mexico. Many men had cast their eyes toward the land of Texas, there was so much of it for the taking. But the Indians were not just sitting on the sideline observing what was happening, they were pressing for their rights, too, against any and all nations. Surely they realized their prize possession was slowly slipping from them. The Indians recognized no treaty among the white men. Only the agreements with the whites which concerned their welfare were of importance to them.

Many young adventurers of all nationalities and from all walks of life had come into the area and found the excitement to their liking. They would align themselves with the side which offered them the most advantageous opportunities.

General Edmund P. Gaines found himself in a predicament when he received orders on Dec. 21, 1819, to establish a new command post near the border of the Sabine River. He was ordered “to establish a new post in a location that will protect our southwestern border as well as all of the inhabitants within the boundaries of the United States in your area.”

In the Southwest area he had federal troops under his command; at New Orleans, 96 men under Major Many; at Baton Rouge, 212 officers and men; at Fort Claiborne, Natchitoches, 56 men under the command of Major Coombs; and, at Camp Sabine, on the Sabine River, 105 men under the command of General Wilkinson.

On November 15, 1820, Lieutenant Colonel Zachary Taylor and four Companies of the 7th United States Infantry had established Fort Selden on the south bank of Bayou Pierre on the highest hill in the area, one and one-half miles from the confluence of Bayou Pierre with Red River, six miles north of Natchitoches and three miles west of Grand Ecore. Taylor named the Fort, “Selden,” in honor of Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Selden, who fought in the American revolution and who was at that time stationed in the Arkansas Territory.

From the vantage point of Fort Selden on Bayou Pierre there was a one-mile view of the channel of the bayou. There was flat-boat traffic on the bayou to the town of Bayou Pierre and on northward to the Petit Caddos in the vicinity of the present day city of Shreveport. Taylor was in position to control the water traffic on the bayou.[12]

At Fort Selden Lieutenant Colonel Taylor received this message:

Special Order No. 19.Headquarters West Dept.,Fort Selden, Red River,March 28, 1822.Lieutenant Colonel Taylor with the troops under his command, will as soon as possible, occupy the position at Shields Springs, 25 miles south southwest of this place, where he will canton the troops in huts of a temporary kind. The buildings will be constructed by the troops. Supplies necessary, will be sent by the Quartermaster.Lieutenant Colonel Taylor is charged with the southwestern frontier of Louisiana. To defend and protect its inhabitants, as well as those of the frontier.Signed: Edmund P. GainesCommanding General of TheSouthwest Frontier.Order No. 20Headquarters, West Dept.Fort Selden, Red River,March 29, 1822.The General congratulates the Troops on the prospects of their immediate occupation of an eligible position near the National Boundary.Signed: Edmund P. Gaines,Commanding General,Southwest Frontier.

Special Order No. 19.Headquarters West Dept.,Fort Selden, Red River,March 28, 1822.

Lieutenant Colonel Taylor with the troops under his command, will as soon as possible, occupy the position at Shields Springs, 25 miles south southwest of this place, where he will canton the troops in huts of a temporary kind. The buildings will be constructed by the troops. Supplies necessary, will be sent by the Quartermaster.

Lieutenant Colonel Taylor is charged with the southwestern frontier of Louisiana. To defend and protect its inhabitants, as well as those of the frontier.

Signed: Edmund P. GainesCommanding General of TheSouthwest Frontier.

Order No. 20Headquarters, West Dept.Fort Selden, Red River,March 29, 1822.

The General congratulates the Troops on the prospects of their immediate occupation of an eligible position near the National Boundary.

Signed: Edmund P. Gaines,Commanding General,Southwest Frontier.

These two orders confirmed a previous order issued to Taylor by Gaines in November of 1821 while he was in Arkansas—an order to explore the vicinity of Natchitoches and the Neutral Land and to locate a site for a cantonment of a permanent nature, which would be nearer the Louisiana and Texas boundary.

MAP of the BUILDINGS of FORT JESUPExplanation of the Map of Fort Jesup. 1831.In 1831 Fort Jesup had reached maximum in size and no new buildings were added after this date. The scale of the map thus shown, is 132 feet per inch.A. Dragoon Stables.B. Stable.C. Blissville.D. Soldier’s Quarters—3rd Inf.E. Officers Quarters—3rd Inf.F. Mess House—3rd Inf.G. Officers Quarters No. 1.H. Officers Quarters No. 2.I. Officers Quarters No. 3.J. Store House.K. Powder Magazine.L. Guard House.M. Adjutant’s Office—3rd Inf.N. Quarter Master’s Office.O. Quarter Master’s Office.P. Commissionary Store.Q. Soldier’s Quarters 6 Buildings.R. Cottage.S. Officer’s Quarters—7th Inf.T. Officer’s Quarters.U. Adjutant’s Office.V. Hospital.W. Kitchens to Soldier’s Quarters.Y. Soldier’s Quarters.X. Band’s Quarters.Z. Officer’s Quarters.P. Parade Grounds.- - - - El Camino Real.Note: Today’s Museum is a replica of one of the buildings listed as Z and Kitchen is original of those listed as W.

MAP of the BUILDINGS of FORT JESUPExplanation of the Map of Fort Jesup. 1831.

In 1831 Fort Jesup had reached maximum in size and no new buildings were added after this date. The scale of the map thus shown, is 132 feet per inch.

Note: Today’s Museum is a replica of one of the buildings listed as Z and Kitchen is original of those listed as W.

Lieutenant Colonel Taylor selected the site and then wrote to General Gaines informing him of his selection—on a hill which was the division between the watersheds of the Red River and the Sabine River. He went as far as he could to the west to establish a permanent command post. Camp Sabine on Sabine River which was established by General Wilkinson was not considered a permanent position, but only an encampment for the benefit of the United States Police Patrol established in the Neutral Strip to police the Sabine River border and to look after the safety of the settlers within the area known as The Neutral Land.

General Wilkinson and his detachment were never entirely successful in quelling the activities of the lawless element. Federal troops stationed at Sabine Town or Camp Sabine or Sabine Block-house (all one and the same site) had some 5000 square miles of territory to patrol. A patrol at that time would have consisted of ten mounted men and one officer. There were approximately 112 men and officers at Camp Sabine, and the detachment post would have consisted of ten patrols. If all were in activity at the same time each patrol would have had 500 square miles to patrol, which, of course, was an impossible task. At this time there were about 50 men and officers in Natchitoches at Fort Claiborne and even the two combined groups would not have been adequate for policing such an enormous area. The outlaws knew this and in the Neutral Strip the lawless roamed and pillaged at will and remained hidden in its thousands of hills and hollows.

It is interesting to note that at the time of the battle of New Orleans in 1815 General Jackson thought the Neutral Strip frontier so important that he did not withdraw the troops from that post to assist in the battle with the British.

In 1822 when Lieutenant Colonel Zachary Taylor established a cantonment at Jesup at Shields Spring by the order of General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, on the highest hill between the Sabine River and the Red River, he had taken into consideration the claim of Cavalier Robert de La Salle, when in 1682, this Frenchman claimed all the land drained by that river for the King of France. With the Louisiana purchase, which consisted of all land claimed by France west of the Mississippi River, thiswould include the site of Cantonment Jesup on that hilltop. The rainwater falling on the western slope would drain into the Mississippi River via Bayou Adais and Bonna Vista into Bayou Dupont to Little River to Bayou Pierre to the Red River and thence into the Mississippi River. Waters falling on the western slope would find the way to the Sabine River via Phillips Bayou to Bayou LaNann, thence to the Sabine River. Thus, the establishment of Cantonment Jesup at this particular spot had argumentative value in favor of the United States against any outcome of the melting-pot development which could arise west of the Sabine River.

By November 9, 1822, the Quartermaster General’s report stated that the Federal militia was consolidated and located at the Garrison Post at Baton Rouge, three hundred fifteen officers and men of the First Infantry; and at Cantonment Jesup, one hundred forty-one officers and men of four companies of the seventh Infantry under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Zachary Taylor.

1822 marked the end of the detachment at Sabine Town, Fort Selden on Bayou Pierre, near Grand Ecore, Louisiana and Fort Claiborne at Natchitoches, Louisiana.

When Mexico won her independence in 1821 the Empressario System was continued and by the end of the year 1823, Stephen Fuller Austin had executed the grant which had previously been given to his father, Moses Austin, in which nearly three hundred American families were allowed to settle in the Texas area. Colonel James B. Many, Commandante at Cantonment Jesup, was there to greet the emigrants on their way to Texas. The same year General Gaines decreed that Cantonment Jesup would be known as Fort Jesup, and made it a permanent establishment of the Army of the United States Government, which resulted in a more thorough settlement of the Sabine area known as the Neutral Strip.

Shawneetown, two miles to the west of Fort Jesup on El Camino Real, came into existence to supply the evil demands of the immediate area—gambling, horse-racing and other auxiliaries of dis-order.

The twenty-five-mile house, or Midway House, two miles east of Fort Jesup on the road to Natchitoches was a wayside tavern and Inn.

By 1826 the Mexican Republic had forbidden further immigration into Texas—the direct result of a contract which had been acquired by Hayden Edwards to establish eight hundred families in the Nacogdoches area. Here Edwards organized the short-lived Republic of Freedonia which resulted from the Freedonia Rebellion. Edwards was driven out of the Nacogdoches area and his contract revoked.

In this same year a letter, originating at Fort Jesup, to the Governor of Louisiana, appeared in the Natchitoches Courier, one of the two newspapers published at Natchitoches at that time, answering the President of the United States, who wanted to know about the possibility of establishing steam navigation on the Red River above the Town of Natchitoches. A duplicate of the original, which sent to the President, was placed at the disposal of the Natchitoches Courier. Colonel James B. Many at Fort Jesup wished the local citizens of the area to know that the personnel at Fort Jesup was useful in ways other than military.

The Natchitoches CourierFort JesupNatchitoches, LouisianaMarch 13, 1826Captain Berch and Lieutenant Lee with a detachment of men from Fort Jesup, have been up the Red River examining the great rafts of debris which block the channel of Red River. This detachment returned a few days ago after an absence on that duty of about two months. We have conversed with these scientific and learned gentlemen on the subject of their excursion, the object of which was to ascertain the practicability of opening steamboat traffic through or around these obstructions.They report that in a distance of one hundred miles above the Town of Natchitoches, there are 181 log jams, ranging from ten yards in length to a distance of one-halfmile. To clear these obstructions would be a tremendous and expensive task.I wish to be remindful that in as much as the Sabine River which lies west of this place, usually maintains enough water to afford its usage by steamboats. In these trying times such as exists between ourselves and our neighbors to the west, I think it advisable that such an excursion be made up the Sabine River, for military if not to mention commercial purposes.Signed: Colonel James B. Many,Commander of the SouthwestTeritory, Fort Jesup,Natchitoches, Louisiana.[13]

The Natchitoches CourierFort JesupNatchitoches, LouisianaMarch 13, 1826

Captain Berch and Lieutenant Lee with a detachment of men from Fort Jesup, have been up the Red River examining the great rafts of debris which block the channel of Red River. This detachment returned a few days ago after an absence on that duty of about two months. We have conversed with these scientific and learned gentlemen on the subject of their excursion, the object of which was to ascertain the practicability of opening steamboat traffic through or around these obstructions.

They report that in a distance of one hundred miles above the Town of Natchitoches, there are 181 log jams, ranging from ten yards in length to a distance of one-halfmile. To clear these obstructions would be a tremendous and expensive task.

I wish to be remindful that in as much as the Sabine River which lies west of this place, usually maintains enough water to afford its usage by steamboats. In these trying times such as exists between ourselves and our neighbors to the west, I think it advisable that such an excursion be made up the Sabine River, for military if not to mention commercial purposes.

Signed: Colonel James B. Many,Commander of the SouthwestTeritory, Fort Jesup,Natchitoches, Louisiana.[13]

In the same newspaper on this date appeared the advertisement: “Just arrived on the Steamship-Packet,Superior, Captain Alex Le Sardo, Master.”

And in the same paper on the same date was an advertisement of John Baldwin’s Store on El Camino Real:

“Liquors—Maderia, Teneriff, Malaga, Claret wines, Cognac, Brandy, Holland and English Gins, West Indian Rum, Old and Common whiskey, coffee and tea. Loaf lump and brown sugar. 100 sacks of salt. Boots, Shoes and Headwear. Cravats, Shawls, Collars and Cuffs (In Sets), Handkerchiefs and Lace. Belts, Ribbons and Buckles. Full and half cotton and wool hose. Mosquito bars. English gingham. Satins—black and blue. Bleached and unbleached cotton shirting. Modes de Fasion Casimers, Fancy Calicoes, Superior, friction-matches. Arm and Leg Garters.Medicines ½ bbl. of hops, Jujube and Pectoral pastes, Swain’s Panacea, Stillman’s Sasparilla pills, Liverwort, Arrowroot, Horehound, Southern Cough drops, New England Cough Syrup, Oldridge’s Balm-Columbia, Lavender Water and Rose Water.Ready to wear trousers and overcoats from $1.00 to$25.00. Tobacco for chewing and smoking. Extra sweet Havana cigars.Exquisite Organdies and Embroideries.Harness Buckles and Pistols. Also Suspenders and Corsets, $1.00 each.

“Liquors—Maderia, Teneriff, Malaga, Claret wines, Cognac, Brandy, Holland and English Gins, West Indian Rum, Old and Common whiskey, coffee and tea. Loaf lump and brown sugar. 100 sacks of salt. Boots, Shoes and Headwear. Cravats, Shawls, Collars and Cuffs (In Sets), Handkerchiefs and Lace. Belts, Ribbons and Buckles. Full and half cotton and wool hose. Mosquito bars. English gingham. Satins—black and blue. Bleached and unbleached cotton shirting. Modes de Fasion Casimers, Fancy Calicoes, Superior, friction-matches. Arm and Leg Garters.

Medicines ½ bbl. of hops, Jujube and Pectoral pastes, Swain’s Panacea, Stillman’s Sasparilla pills, Liverwort, Arrowroot, Horehound, Southern Cough drops, New England Cough Syrup, Oldridge’s Balm-Columbia, Lavender Water and Rose Water.

Ready to wear trousers and overcoats from $1.00 to$25.00. Tobacco for chewing and smoking. Extra sweet Havana cigars.

Exquisite Organdies and Embroideries.

Harness Buckles and Pistols. Also Suspenders and Corsets, $1.00 each.

John Baldwin with his wife and two daughters must have established their store prior to 1826. The location of the Baldwin Store marked the site of the later town of Many, Louisiana, which derives its name from Colonel James B. Many. Baldwin’s Store, Tavern, Inn and Blacksmith Shop comprised the area of the Stille home and the present sites of the Sabine State Bank & Trust Co., and The Peoples State Bank in Many.

During this period Manuel and Jose Chellettre operated the “Two Brothers’ Freight Line” between Natchitoches and Nacogdoches. Also at this time the firm of Barr and Davenport had a freight line service between the same two destinations.

The newspaper also listed the names of the steamboats which were vying for the Natchitoches-Texas trade:The Florence,The Superior,The Alexander,The Chesapeak,The Courtland,The Eliza,The Governor Shelby,The Hornet,The Kiamechi,The Plaquemine,The Raven,The Teche,The Telegraph,The ShepardessandThe Arkansas.

Henry Stoker, having received a government land grant, had by now established his home, and he enlarged his holdings by trading eleven horses for land belonging to several families of the Adais Indians who were living near his homestead.

Fort Jesup during its existence trained such men as Second Lieutenant Phil Sheridan, Lieutenant Thomas Lawson, Captain Bragg, Lt. L. B. E. Bonneville, Lt. James E. Goins, Captain Davie E. Twiggs, Capt. J. Hardee, and Lt. Rufus Ingalls. These men during the war between the states, became generals either for the North or the South. Lieutenant U. S. Grant, who was stationed at Camp Salubrity near Grand Ecore, was often a visitor at Fort Jesup.

Map of Area Around Camp Sabine—1836

Map of Area Around Camp Sabine—1836

Such important men as David Crockett, James Bowie, Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston; and such famous scouts as Ben S. Lilly and “Big Foot” Wallace visited there. Because they were welcomed and entertained at Fort Jesup, accusations were made by the Spanish that Fort Jesup was a meeting place for those planning the overthrow of the Mexican government. And this may very well have been true, for supplies necessary for the conduct of the war for Texas independence undoubtedly passed through Fort Jesup.

There is evidence that the United States did render secret support to the fighting Texans in their struggle for independence. This fort at such a strategic location could have blocked revolutionary movements in this frontier area if it had chosen to do so. Because of this Fort Jesup became recognized as the heart of the Texas-Mexican revolution. The garrison at Fort Jesup assisted by checking the border Indians of Louisiana, Arkansas and northern Texas, who may have otherwise aided the Mexican forces against the retreating Sam Houston just before the Battle of San Jacinto.

The Military Road or The Gaines Military Road, sometimes referred to as General Jackson’s road, connected the two most remote western outposts of the United States’ army, Fort Jesup and Fort Towsin. This last was located at the confluence of the Kiamechi River of Oklahoma and the Red River. The military road was nearly three hundred miles long.

In 1831 Fort Jesup came under the command of Brevet Brigadier General Leavenworth, with six companies of the Seventh Infantry. In 1832 the garrison was increased to two hundred ninety-six men and officers, and Colonel James B. Many again assumed command.

It was during the command of Gen. Leavenworth that some of the settlers or squatters that had moved into the area, some within a half-mile distance of the Fort, made themselves objectionable by selling whiskey to the personnel at Fort Jesup. In order that the sale of whiskey near the fort might be stopped the following order was issued:

Order No. 69To all whom it may concern:Having received instructions from General Leavenworth to take possession for the United States, for the purpose of supplying fuel for the garrison, of all public land within three miles of the flagstaff of Fort Jesup; all persons having a “donation or pre-emption” claim are hereby ordered to vacate the said premises immediately, or at the earliest possible date, otherwise they will be dealt with according to the law.Signed: Francis LeeActing Assistant QuartermasterU. S. ArmyFort Jesup, Louisiana, 7th November, 1831.

Order No. 69

To all whom it may concern:

Having received instructions from General Leavenworth to take possession for the United States, for the purpose of supplying fuel for the garrison, of all public land within three miles of the flagstaff of Fort Jesup; all persons having a “donation or pre-emption” claim are hereby ordered to vacate the said premises immediately, or at the earliest possible date, otherwise they will be dealt with according to the law.

Signed: Francis LeeActing Assistant QuartermasterU. S. Army

Fort Jesup, Louisiana, 7th November, 1831.

James Bowie, David Crockett and Sam Houston were entertained at Fort Jesup by Colonel Many while en-route to cast their lot with the Texans. To greet these men in Nacogdoches were Thomas J. Busk, Frost Thorn, Adolphus Sterne, Charles S. Taylor, Henry Raguet, Doctor Irion, John Drust and William C. Logan, all of whom were to have a hand in winning the Texas independence.

The municipality of San Augustine was organized in 1833, and was the first town in Texas to be laid out on the American plan of forty-eight blocks, consisting of three hundred fifty-six feet with streets forty feet wide, and two lots in the center for the Courthouse.

The history of San Augustine dates back to the very earliest Texas history, with its location astraddle the El Camino Real, previously the Buffalo Trail and then part of the Caddo Indian trail system. Cabeza de Vaca passed this spot and later a scouting party of the Hernando de Soto expedition. The Ais (Ayist) Indians were there to greet the Domingo Teran Del Rios Expedition and then the Domingo Ramone Expedition. The Ais Indians of San Augustine were the first Texas Indians to establish trade agreements with the French, when in 1708 the Frenchman, Bejoux, began trading with them for horses.

San Augustine became a most important port of entry, second only to Galveston. It may very well be called the Cradle of Texas Independence for it is said that any man entering San Augustine, be he French, Spanish or American, became a Texan. Ninety percent of the men who engaged in the strife for Texas independence had walked the streets of San Augustine.

Fort St. Jean Baptiste Des Natchitoches.Restoration of Colonial Natchitoches, Inc.BUTLER & DOBSON, AIAARCHITECTS NATCHITOCHESThis interpretation of how Fort St. Jean Baptiste looked was drawn by the architects, Butler and Dobson of Natchitoches, for the Committee for the Restoration of Colonial Natchitoches, Inc.It is my sincere hope that this restoration will be executed by the year 1964 when Natchitoches will in that year celebrate her 250th anniversary.To the Frenchmen of that period, the title, Fort St. Jean Baptiste des Natchitoches, meant that the Fort or Post was named for St. John The Baptist and that its location was among the Natchitoches Indians.It was this Fort which St. Denis defended against the Natchez Indians in 1731.

Fort St. Jean Baptiste Des Natchitoches.

Restoration of Colonial Natchitoches, Inc.BUTLER & DOBSON, AIAARCHITECTS NATCHITOCHES

This interpretation of how Fort St. Jean Baptiste looked was drawn by the architects, Butler and Dobson of Natchitoches, for the Committee for the Restoration of Colonial Natchitoches, Inc.

It is my sincere hope that this restoration will be executed by the year 1964 when Natchitoches will in that year celebrate her 250th anniversary.

To the Frenchmen of that period, the title, Fort St. Jean Baptiste des Natchitoches, meant that the Fort or Post was named for St. John The Baptist and that its location was among the Natchitoches Indians.

It was this Fort which St. Denis defended against the Natchez Indians in 1731.

Old Kitchen of Fort Jesup—only remaining building of the original fort

Old Kitchen of Fort Jesup—only remaining building of the original fort

The progress of the struggle for Texas independence was watched with keenest interest throughout the United States, but the interest south of the Mason-Dixon line was greater as most of the Texas settlers came from the Southern states.

Louis Cass, the Secretary of War, on January 23, 1835, sent instructions to Major General Edmund P. Gaines, ordering him to move to a position nearer the western frontier of Louisiana, and to assume personal command of the troops near the Mexican (Texas) border. Blockhouses were erected to protect the supplies of the personnel of the camp. General Gaines took personal command of the troops there.

The Red River by the year 1835 had changed its course and taken the Bayou Rigolet de Bon Dieux as its main channel, leaving Natchitoches high and dry except during the spring and winter months. The river port of Grand Ecore then became the most important shipping port for the southwestern area of Louisiana and eastern Texas. The Texas trail now by-passed Natchitoches some four miles to the west, connecting it with Grand Ecore.

General Gaines wrote of the decaying condition of the buildings at Fort Jesup, and acquired a twenty-five thousand dollar appropriation for their repair through the help of Thomas S. Jesup, Quartermaster General of the United States, who had been given the honor of having Fort Jesup named after him.

General Gaines possessed a war-like nature and he nourished the idea of annexing Texas in one blaze of glory for himself. Further, he knew that President Andrew Jackson wanted Texas as a part of the United States.

Gaines, in a letter to Cass, stated that B. F. Palmer and William Palmer, living near Fort Jesup, had informed him that a Spaniard had arrived at the house of one of their neighbors, saying he had been commissioned by Santa Anna to go among the Caddos and other upper Red River tribes of Indians and stir them up into attacking the upper settlements of Texas.Gaines had sent Lieutenant Bonnel with Eusebia Cartinez, to gain the good will of the Caddos without success. But they were successful among the Indians further to the west of the Caddos. They learned that Manuel Flores, who had established at Spanish-Town between Fort Jesup and Natchitoches, won alliances with the Caddos.

Enclosed in the letter were communications from Henry Raguet, Chairman of the Committee of Vigilance at Nacogdoches and A. Hotchkiss, Chairman of a similar committee at San Augustine, both declaring that Indians had moved into the area along El Camino Real and requesting an investigation.

Cass was informed that the Alamo had fallen and many of the troops, including Fannin, were killed near Goliad on the Madina River and that Sam Houston was in full retreat toward the Louisiana border.

Gaines now received orders to use his own judgment about the affairs on the frontier, and that if he had to go into the Texas territory to insure the peace of the frontier, he could go no further than Nacogdoches.

Gaines was still at Sabine Blockhouse when word came that on April 18, 1836, Sam Houston had defeated Santa Anna at San Jacinto Bay. Thus Gaines’ chance for glory was gone. However, he must be credited with a timely move, when a few weeks before he had ordered troops to Nacogdoches, thus spoiling the counterpunch attempted by Santa Anna to stir up the Indians. This, without a doubt, quelled the prospective uprising of the Indians.

In June, 1835, Colonel Many sent a contingent of soldiers to the upper Red River country to lend assistance in the signing and execution of the treaty between the United States and the Caddo Indians. At the Caddo Indian Agency house, located on a bluff overlooking Bayou Pierre, nine miles south of the present-day city of Shreveport, was drawn an agreement with the Indians, dated July 1, 1835:

The Chiefs, Headmen and Warriors of the tribes of the Caddo Nation of Indians, agree to cede and relinquish to the United States all land contained in the following boundaries: Bounded on the west by the North-south line which separates Louisiana and the United States from the Republic of Mexico and on the west by the Red River in the Territory of Louisiana and Arkansas.The Chiefs, Headmen and Warriors agree to relinquish their possession of the land and agree to move out of the boundaries of the United States at their own expense, and never to return to live, settle, or establish themselves as a nation or a community.In consideration the Caddo Nation will be paid $30,000 in goods and horses as agreed upon and $10,000 to be paid per annum in money, each year, for the four years following. Making a whole sum of $80,000, paid and payable.In Testimony Whereof, the said Jehiel Brooks, Commissioner, the Chiefs, Headmen and Warriors of the Caddo Nation, have hereunto set their hands and affixed their seals.Signed: Jehiel BrooksTarsharHis X MarkTasauninotHis X MarkSaliownhownHis X MarkTennehinunHis X MarkOatHis X MarkTinnowinHis X MarkChowabahHis X MarkKianhoonHis X MarkTialesunHis X MarkTehowawinowHis X MarkTewinnunHis X MarkKardyHis X MarkTiohtowHis X MarkTehowahinnoHis X MarkTooeksoachHis X MarkTehowainiaHis X MarkSauninowHis X MarkSaunivaotHis X MarkHighahidockHis X MarkMattanHis X MarkTowabimnehHis X MarkAachHis X MarkSookiantowHis X MarkSohoneHis X MarkOssinseHis X MarkIn the Presence of:Thomas J. Harrison, Capt, 3rd Regt Inf.Commander of Detachment from Fort Jesup, Louisiana.J. Bonnell, 1st Lieut, 3rd Regt Inf.,Fort Jesup, Louisiana.G. P. Frile, 2nd Lieut, 3rd Regt Inf.,Fort Jesup, Louisiana.D. M. Heard, M. D., Acting Assistant Surgeon,U. S. A., Fort Jesup, Louisiana.Isaac C. Williamson, Citizen.Henry Queen, Citizen.John P. Edwards, Interpreter.Other Recommendations:Articles supplementary to Treaty, whereas: The said Indian Nation gave to Francois Grappe and his three (3) sons, then born and still living named, Jacques, Dominique and Balthazar, in the year 1801, one league of land to each, according to the Spanish custom. This being a total of four square leagues of land.

The Chiefs, Headmen and Warriors of the tribes of the Caddo Nation of Indians, agree to cede and relinquish to the United States all land contained in the following boundaries: Bounded on the west by the North-south line which separates Louisiana and the United States from the Republic of Mexico and on the west by the Red River in the Territory of Louisiana and Arkansas.

The Chiefs, Headmen and Warriors agree to relinquish their possession of the land and agree to move out of the boundaries of the United States at their own expense, and never to return to live, settle, or establish themselves as a nation or a community.

In consideration the Caddo Nation will be paid $30,000 in goods and horses as agreed upon and $10,000 to be paid per annum in money, each year, for the four years following. Making a whole sum of $80,000, paid and payable.

In Testimony Whereof, the said Jehiel Brooks, Commissioner, the Chiefs, Headmen and Warriors of the Caddo Nation, have hereunto set their hands and affixed their seals.

Signed: Jehiel Brooks

In the Presence of:

Thomas J. Harrison, Capt, 3rd Regt Inf.Commander of Detachment from Fort Jesup, Louisiana.J. Bonnell, 1st Lieut, 3rd Regt Inf.,Fort Jesup, Louisiana.G. P. Frile, 2nd Lieut, 3rd Regt Inf.,Fort Jesup, Louisiana.D. M. Heard, M. D., Acting Assistant Surgeon,U. S. A., Fort Jesup, Louisiana.Isaac C. Williamson, Citizen.Henry Queen, Citizen.John P. Edwards, Interpreter.

Thomas J. Harrison, Capt, 3rd Regt Inf.

Commander of Detachment from Fort Jesup, Louisiana.

J. Bonnell, 1st Lieut, 3rd Regt Inf.,

Fort Jesup, Louisiana.

G. P. Frile, 2nd Lieut, 3rd Regt Inf.,

Fort Jesup, Louisiana.

D. M. Heard, M. D., Acting Assistant Surgeon,

U. S. A., Fort Jesup, Louisiana.

Isaac C. Williamson, Citizen.

Henry Queen, Citizen.

John P. Edwards, Interpreter.

Other Recommendations:

Articles supplementary to Treaty, whereas: The said Indian Nation gave to Francois Grappe and his three (3) sons, then born and still living named, Jacques, Dominique and Balthazar, in the year 1801, one league of land to each, according to the Spanish custom. This being a total of four square leagues of land.

Larken Edwards, being old and unable to work and having been a steadfast friend of the Caddo Indians, was also given at the request of the Indians, land which now comprises most of the area of present day Shreveport, Louisiana.

On May 14, 1837, the following ad appeared in the Red River Gazette, a Natchitoches newspaper:

A. W. P. Ussery has the pleasure to inform friends and the public that he has taken the Fort Jesup Hotel and is now ready for company. He has a commodious house and stable and a delightful situation. In addition to the comforts of the well regulated house, the weary traveler will be regaled at night and morning by the delightful music of the Fort Jesup Band.

A. W. P. Ussery has the pleasure to inform friends and the public that he has taken the Fort Jesup Hotel and is now ready for company. He has a commodious house and stable and a delightful situation. In addition to the comforts of the well regulated house, the weary traveler will be regaled at night and morning by the delightful music of the Fort Jesup Band.

With the ability of Texas to maintain her independence, Fort Jesup settled down to the humdrum existence of a peaceful, frontier post. In the summer of 1838 the garrison was reduced to two companies of men and officers. In 1840 the third infantry members at Fort Jesup were ordered to Florida. This left one company of fourth infantry at Fort Jesup.

Texas threw open its doors to immigrants and daily these passed through the Fort Jesup area, to travel El Camino Real westward. Many, however, stopped in the Natchitoches-Sabine country. Texans knew that immigrants represented power, power to resist Mexico.

This peaceful existence was not to last long. There was talk of the annexation of Texas by the United States which Mexico did not want. For as long as Texas was a Republic there wasa possibility that Mexico might recover this prize possession, a possession which also included the present states of New Mexico and a part of Wyoming.

As early as 1843 the United States was contemplating acquiring Texas as a state. In the meantime they had purchased the territory of New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and Wyoming from Texas which did not set well with the Republic of Mexico. There was a kind of cold friendship existing between the United States and Mexico.

Late in 1843 General Zachary Taylor was ordered to the Texas-Louisiana frontier, thus early in 1844 there came to Fort Jesup the Army of Observation.

Camp Salubrity was established three miles west of Grand Ecore on the Texas Road May 18, 1844, where the fourth infantry companies were encamped. One of the young officers was Lieutenant U. S. Grant.

On May 18, 1845, General Taylor at Fort Jesup received a letter marked “Confidential” from Secretary of War, Marcey. This secretly and officially marked the beginning of the disposition of troops and the laying of plans for the war with Mexico. Marcey wrote, “I am directed by the President to cause forces now under your command and those which may be assigned, to be put into position where they may most promptly act in the defense of Texas.”

At Fort Jesup under the command of General Taylor were seven companies of the Second Dragoons and eight companies of the Fourth Infantry. Four companies of the Fourth Infantry were stationed at Camp Salubrity.

Texas expressed a desire at the July 1845 session of the Texas Congress to become a State of the Union.

General Taylor at Fort Jesup received instructions to place the Troops under his command in the Army of Observation in such locations that would be most advantageous to render support to Texas if such an occasion should arise.

The Mexican conflict seemed inevitable and Taylor ordered Camp Salubrity abandoned and the Companies of Infantry there boarded steamboats at Grand Ecore for New Orleans along withthree companies of the four companies of the 4th infantry which were stationed at Fort Jesup.

This July 1845 Report from Fort Jesup explains the removal of the Troops from Fort Jesup and those who remained:

July 17, 1845, The 3rd Infantry under the command of Lt. Col. Hitchcock left this post for the point of embarkation for New Orleans.July 25, 1845, The 2nd Dragoons under the command of Colonel Twiggs left this post for Texas Via the Texas Trail. On this day Lt. Zill P. Inge assumes command at Fort Jesup.There remains at this Post, and all present accounted for the following: One Company of the 4th infantry and one company of the 2nd Dragoons. The names of these men appear on the July 31, 1845, Daily Report.Conally Triche.George S. Darte.Quims Tomas.James Huntly.William Story.James Welsh.Francis Shaw.Samuel Tacker.George Waggoner.Andrew Munscle.John A. Goddard.Benjiman Peterson.David S. Barslette.John McDormott.Joseph McGee.Richard Goldring.Samuel H. Jordan.James Conway.Ferdinand Turkels.Thurman Patterson.Michael Sheridan.William H. McDonnald.Isaac Curry.John L. Creps.John B. Hickey.John Murphy.Paul Spencer.Hugh McHugh.John R. Bloomer.William Horton.Cazimiery Rosinowski.George Cassody.Ames W. Grimes.Reubin W Brenner.William Hearne.John B Rezzer.Alexinder Silves.James Sheene.Charles W Williams.John Adams.William Bayer.James Heath.Michael O’Keefe.William R Smith.John Mitchele.John W. Conway.William Stansbury.Jeremiach O’Leary.William Bailey.James Long.Edward Harrington.Patrick Connally.Thomas Kelley.Peter Savage.William Ashton.Stephen Turner.Joseph A Jinkins.Patrick Maloney.George Holmes.Louis H Tucker.John Hamilton.James Horton.James Foley.Horice Clark.William Howe.Isaac Trotter.William McGill.Berman Wellenbrook.William Taylor.Edward Melton.Gregory Bishop.John Goodele.Robinson McClellan.Michale Ryan.Archibald Turner.Samuel Turner.John Freeman.George Hendricks.Hamilton Taylor.James Doughtry.Asa Freleigh.William Pully.Francis Gillam.William R Keeper.Henry Burrows.Joseph R Steward.John Dorian.Frederick Leach.William Turner.Alexander Cody.William A Burks.John Hunter.Phillip Hoffman.Richard A Banks.Patrick Bigland.Charles W Livingston.These men comprise the 1st Company of the 2nd Dragoons and One half Company of the 3rd Inf. and one half Company of the 4th infantry. Most of them were sick at the time of the dispersement of the troops at Fort Jesup.Signed:1st Lt Zill P Inge1st Co 2nd Dragoons.Fort Jesup, La.July 31 1845.

July 17, 1845, The 3rd Infantry under the command of Lt. Col. Hitchcock left this post for the point of embarkation for New Orleans.

July 25, 1845, The 2nd Dragoons under the command of Colonel Twiggs left this post for Texas Via the Texas Trail. On this day Lt. Zill P. Inge assumes command at Fort Jesup.

There remains at this Post, and all present accounted for the following: One Company of the 4th infantry and one company of the 2nd Dragoons. The names of these men appear on the July 31, 1845, Daily Report.

These men comprise the 1st Company of the 2nd Dragoons and One half Company of the 3rd Inf. and one half Company of the 4th infantry. Most of them were sick at the time of the dispersement of the troops at Fort Jesup.

Signed:1st Lt Zill P Inge1st Co 2nd Dragoons.Fort Jesup, La.

July 31 1845.

On November 29, 1845, the Adjutant General ordered that Fort Jesup was no longer required as a military post, all military supplies, buildings and land be disposed of.

Thus Zachary Taylor when a Lt. Col. executed the order to establish Fort Jesup and 23 years later as a Brigadier General executed the order to abandon it.

Ironic as it may seem, Fort Jesup brought law to a lawless land. It was a buffer zone through which passed softly, those intent on a new kind of freedom. It was the mould which shaped the southwestern section of these United States.

Old Ambroise Sompayrac HouseNatchitoches chief depot for trade with Mexico, early 1800’s Washington St. at Pavie on River ... demolished in 1900.

Old Ambroise Sompayrac HouseNatchitoches chief depot for trade with Mexico, early 1800’s Washington St. at Pavie on River ... demolished in 1900.

If one must in a few words offer a summation of all that has passed before.... Then.

This tiny spot, in Louisiana’s vast domain,High on a hill-top, a memory to remain.Redbuds and Dogwood, bring spring’s tender smile,To a land so fertile, it rivals that of the Nile.Yonder, the Red’s mighty currents roll.Gleaming, sparkling, rivaling Hidalgo’s Gold.

This tiny spot, in Louisiana’s vast domain,

High on a hill-top, a memory to remain.

Redbuds and Dogwood, bring spring’s tender smile,

To a land so fertile, it rivals that of the Nile.

Yonder, the Red’s mighty currents roll.

Gleaming, sparkling, rivaling Hidalgo’s Gold.

In a grove, where the stately Pine trees tower,Blending with the Oak, the Ash and wild Flower,Quickly, their lips meet and arms entwine,Secluded they are, by the Rattan-vine,This love doesn’t any boundary know.The Savage speaks, ’tis time to go.

In a grove, where the stately Pine trees tower,

Blending with the Oak, the Ash and wild Flower,

Quickly, their lips meet and arms entwine,

Secluded they are, by the Rattan-vine,

This love doesn’t any boundary know.

The Savage speaks, ’tis time to go.

They match wits, the Hidalgo and the Fleur de Lys.Fiesta and Fandangero, invited, they all come to see.This Wilderness Road, which both Friend and Enemy TravelThis intricate-mess, shall two men unravelFrom Crescent-City to Natchitoches and on to Mexico,Past Los Adais and Presidios, must Saint and Sinner go.

They match wits, the Hidalgo and the Fleur de Lys.

Fiesta and Fandangero, invited, they all come to see.

This Wilderness Road, which both Friend and Enemy Travel

This intricate-mess, shall two men unravel

From Crescent-City to Natchitoches and on to Mexico,

Past Los Adais and Presidios, must Saint and Sinner go.

This Land—’tis Mine, ’tis Yours, ’tis Mine.To the Stars and Stripes the Savage states, ’twas Mine.To his God, Ayandt Daddi, in a blanketed-blue sky,He looks and he questions, “Whither goest I?”To his people, his eyes reflect his fears,Caddo generosity paid, with “A Trail of Tears.”

This Land—’tis Mine, ’tis Yours, ’tis Mine.

To the Stars and Stripes the Savage states, ’twas Mine.

To his God, Ayandt Daddi, in a blanketed-blue sky,

He looks and he questions, “Whither goest I?”

To his people, his eyes reflect his fears,

Caddo generosity paid, with “A Trail of Tears.”

In 1816 the United States Land Office sent representatives to Natchitoches, although previously representatives had been in Natchitoches in 1806 to register land claims within the Neutral Strip area. Proof was demanded of people settling land in the Neutral Strip, referring to either French or Spanish grants.

In 1730 Zavallez, then Governor of Los Adais, granted three square leagues of land to Manuel Sanchez on Los Pedro Creek (Bayou Pierre), the grant was listed as La Nana de Los Rio Pedro. (Note: The wife of St. Denis was a Sanchez, her mother being Maria Esperrillo Sanchez before her marriage to Don Diago Ramone). The Sanchez Grant is also referred to as Los Tres Llanos (Three Plains) was approved again in 1742 by Governor Larros in the name of Governor Winthusin. The son of Manuel Sanchez was eighty two years of age when in 1832 a clear title was issued by the United States Land Office. The Sanchez family had lived on the land 102 years before they obtained a clear title to it.

Juan de Mora was granted one league square of land on Bayou Dupont at Los Adais by Zavallez which is the land located in an area known today as “Fish Pond Bottom.”

Testimony of Gregoria Mora before the land office officials shows: “This is a receipt of tithes I collected on land west of the Calcasieu River, West of Bayou Kisachey and west of Arroyo Hondo. Also west of Bayou Pedro (Bayou Pierre) dated in Nacogdoches, Feb. 27, 1797, and signed by Jose Maria Guadiana (Rubric)

On December 29, 1795, I, Jose Cayetano de Zepede, executor to Los Adais and by request of Antonio Gil y Barbo Governor of Texas at Nacogdoches, went with my assistant, Don Jose de La Vega to a place at Los Adais, where a petitioner had built a home there. I granted this land.


Back to IndexNext