Stoneman House destroyed by fire, Aug. 24. YVC, 1895-96, p. 9.
Lt. Col. S. B. M. Young appointed Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1896; Farquhar, 1926, p. 109.
First effort made to keep firearms out of park. YNP, 1896, p. 4.
Miles Wallace made guardian. YVC, 1897-98.
Wooden stairs at Vernal Fall removed and replaced by rock steps. YVC, 1897-98, p. 6.
Capt. Alex. Rodgers again made Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1897.
Camps rented to visitors by state. YVC, 1897-98, p. 5.
Archie O. Leonard, first civilian park ranger. YVC, 1897-98, p. 12; YNP, 1898, p. 3.
Both J. W. Zevely, special inspector, and Capt. J. E. Caine were acting superintendents. YNP, 1898.
Lt. Wm. Forse and Capt. E. F. Wilcox were acting superintendents. YNP, 1890.
Curry Camping Company established. Tresidder, D. B.; Tresidder, M. C., MS; YNP, 1908, p. 12.
Chris Jorgensen maintained artist’s studio in the valley (1899-1918). YNHA, 1944, PP 94-97.
Major L. J. Rucker, Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1900.
Holmes brothers, of San Jose, drove first auto into Yosemite. Holmes.
Camp Yosemite (Lost Arrow) established. YVC, 1901-02, p. 6; YNP, 1908, p. 12; 1910, p. 12; Tresidder, D. B., p. 35.
Major L. A. Craig, Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1901.
First of the annual outings of the Sierra Club took place in Tuolumne Meadows. Farquhar, 1925, pp. 52-53.
Power plant at Happy Isles built by state. YVC, 1901-02, p. 4.
Major O. L. Hein, Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1902.
J. M. Hutchings killed on Big Oak Flat Road near Yosemite Valley, Oct. 31. Foley, p. 6; Godfrey, 1941, MS, p. 14.
Harry Cassie Best established artist studio in valley. (Maintained business until his death, 1936.) YNHA, 1945, pp. 42-44.
LeConte Memorial Lodge built in Yosemite Valley by Sierra Club. SCB, 1904, pp. 66-69; 1905, pp. 176-180.
San Francisco’s first application for use of Hetch Hetchy denied by Secretary Hitchcock, U.S. Dept. of Interior, 1908, 1910, 1914.
George T. Harlow, guardian. YVC, 1903-04.
U. S. Weather Bureau installed instruments in Yosemite. YVC, 1903-04, p. 7.
Lt. Col. Jos. Garrard, Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1903.
John Muir, Theodore Roosevelt, and Gov. George C. Pardee discuss Yosemite Grant recession in Yosemite. Badè, 1923-1924, 2: 355.
Major John Bigelow became Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1904.
Arboretum established, and first plans for a Yosemite Museum made at Wawona. YNP, 1904, p. 20; YNHA, 1930, pp. 17-18.
Area of Yosemite National Park reduced. Mount Ritter region and Devils Postpile eliminated. Yosemite Park Commission; YNP, 1905, p. 5; 1906, p. 8.
Capt. H. C. Benson, Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1905; SCB, 1925, pp. 175-179.
Yosemite Valley and Mariposa Grove re-ceded to United States. Superintendent’s headquarters (Major H. C. Benson) moved to Yosemite Valley. YNP, 1905, pp. 5-6; 1906, p. 6; Badè, 1923-1924, 2: 355; Colby, 1938, pp. 11-19.
Last “hold up” of a Yosemite stage (Raymond-Wawona run). Yosemite Tourist, 1906.
Yosemite Valley Railroad opened to travel. YNP, 1907, p. 5; Radcliffe; Bartlet. Del Portal, the railroad hotel at El Portal, shown in Williams, p. 143.
Extensive telephone system installed in park. YNP, 1907, p. 8.
Yosemite cemetery given permanent marking with boundary of trees. YNHA, 1932, pp. 1-4.
Hetch Hetchy rights granted to San Francisco. YNP, 1908, p. 14.
Camp Ahwahnee established at foot of Sentinel Rock by W. M. Sell. YNP, 1908, pp. 11, 12; Tresidder, D. B., p. 37.
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Co. built telegraph line from El Portal to Sentinel Hotel. YNP, 1908, p. 9.
Supervisor Gabriel Sovulewski, Acting Superintendent, Oct. 25 (to April 27, 1909). YNP, 1909, p. 5.
Major W. W. Forsyth, Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1909.
Death of Galen Clark, March 24, age 96. YNP, 1910, p. 15; 1911, p. 8.
Tenaya Lake Trail completed. YNP, 1910, p. 10; 1911, p. 8.
Devils Postpile made a national monument by President Taft. SCB, 1912, pp. 170-173, 226-227.
Galen Clark Memorial Seat built. YNP, 1911, p. 12.
Yosemite hospital built by U. S. troops. YNP, 1912, p. 12; Tresidder, D. B., p. 157.
Sierra Club purchased Soda Springs property at Tuolumne Meadows. Farquhar, 1926, p. 58.
Major William T. Littebrant, Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1913.
Automobiles admitted to Yosemite Valley. YNP, 1913, p. 12.
Raker Act authorized use of Hetch Hetchy Valley as reservoir; approved by President Wilson, Dec. 19. Farquhar, 1926, p. 39; Johnson, R. U., pp. 307-313; Wolfe, 1945, pp. 339-346.
Civilian employees replaced the military in administration of Yosemite. Mark Daniels, first superintendent. USNPS, 1916, p. 4; Calif. State Mineralogist, p. 61.
Museum of Vertebrate Zoölogy, University of California, began 5-year field study of animal life in Yosemite, which culminated in publication of 752-page treatise. Grinnell and Storer; YNHA, 1924, p. 2.
John Muir died in a Los Angeles hospital, December 24. Badè, 1923-1924, II, pp. 390-391.
Parsons Lodge built by Sierra Club in Tuolumne Meadows. SCB, 1916, pp. 84-85.
First appropriation for the John Muir Trail approved by Governor Johnson. Rensch, 1933, p. 484; Wolfe, 1945, p. 364.
Yosemite Lodge established in Yosemite Valley. Tresidder, D. B., p. 37.
Stephen T. Mather purchased Tioga Road and presented it to U. S. Government. Farquhar, 1926, p. 94.
Mather became assistant to Franklin K. Lane, Secretary of the Interior. Albright, 1929, pp. 10-11; Cramton, 1929, p. 13.
Yosemite horse-drawn stages replaced by motor stages. Tresidder, D. B., p. 33.
R. B. Marshall made superintendent of all national parks. USNPS, 1916, p. 5.
National Park Service Act passed August 25. Stephen T. Mather made Director. USNPS, 1916, p. 81; 1917, p. 1; Farquhar, 1926, p. 63.
W. B. Lewis made Superintendent of Yosemite National Park. USNPS, 1916; Farquhar, 1926, p. 114.
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge installed; also Tenaya and Merced camps opened. Tresidder, D. B., p. 76.
Stephen T. Mather became first Director, National Park Service. Albright, 1929, p. 12; Cramton, 1929, p. 13.
Glacier Point Hotel completed. USNPS, 1917, p. 59; Tresidder, D. B., p. 61.
Wawona Road and Glacier Point Branch turned over to federal government. USNPS, 1917, p. 62.
Parts of park opened to grazing. USNPS, 1917, p. 153.
Modern school buildings constructed. USNPS, 1920, p. 237.
David A. Curry dies; Mrs. Curry continues operation of Camp Curry. Tresidder, Mary C., MS.
Cascade power plant completed at cost of $215,000. USNPS, 1917, pp. 61, 143; 1918. pp. 45, 134.
Ledge Trail built. USNPS, 1918, p. 47.
First airplane landed in Yosemite Valley, May 27. Lt. J. S. Krull, pilot, alone. USNPS, 1919, pp. 183, 190.
LeConte Memorial Lectures instituted. USNPS, 1919, p. 194.
Construction started on all-year highway up Merced Canyon. USNPS, 1920, p. 110.
Rangers’ Club House built. USNPS, 1920, pp. 113, 250.
Yosemite National Park Co. founded. USNPS, 1920, p. 248.
Yosemite educational work started by H. C. Bryant, A. F. Hall, L. H. Miller, and Enid Michael. Yosemite Museum planned. USNPS, 1920, pp. 113, 245, 253; Hall, 1930; YNHA, 1932, pp. 2-3.
California valley elk brought to Yosemite. USNPS, 1920, p. 250; 1921, p. 196.
Big Trees Lodge built at Mariposa Grove. Tresidder, D. B., p. 72.
First Yosemite Museum installations made. USNPS, 1921, pp. 72, 196, 202; Yosemite Park Naturalist, July, 1921; Hall, 1930.
Yosemite Educational Department created. USNPS, 1922, pp. 113, 115; 1923, p. 20.
Yosemite Nature Notesfirst published (mimeographed through 1924, then printed). YNHA, 1925, p. 1.
Hikers’ camps installed. USNPS, 1923, p. 54; 1924, pp. 37, 109; YNHA, 1923; Tresidder, D. B., p. 80; Adams, 1940, pp. 79-83; Russell, 1925.
Educational Department for all national parks created. Yosemite Park Naturalist; USNPS, 1923, p. 20; 1925, p. 10; 1926, p. 7; Burns, N. J., pp. 4-25.
Hoof and mouth disease epidemic in Yosemite deer. USNPS, 1924, pp. 36, 108; 1925, pp. 6, 93; 1926, p. 14.
New administration center and village developed. USNPS, 1924, pp. 37, 108; 1925, p. 87.
Yosemite Park and Curry Co. formed by consolidation of Curry Camping Co. and Yosemite National Park Co. Tresidder, D. B., p. 37; USNPS, 1925, p. 27.
Yosemite School of Field Natural History organized. USNPS, 1925, pp. 11, 90; YNHA, 1925, pp. 9-10, 16, 66.
Glacier Point branch of Yosemite Museum opened. Yosemite Park Naturalist, June, 1925, YNHA, 1925, p. 55.
All-year highway dedicated July 31. USNPS, 1926, pp. 30, 102.
Yosemite Museum opened, May 29. USNPS, 1924, pp. 8, 105; 1925, pp. 12, 89; 1926, pp. 31, 99; YNHA, 1924, 1926, p. 95.
Ahwahnee Hotel opened by Yosemite Park and Curry Co. USNPS, 1926, pp. 31, 101.
Board of expert advisors, Frederick Law Olmsted, Duncan McDuffie, and John P. Buwalda, appointed by authority of Congress to study and assist in the solution of Yosemite problems. USNPS, 1928, p. 173.
Maria Lebrado, one of the last of the original Yosemite Indians, gives firsthand account of Yosemite Valley discovery. YNHA, 1928, pp. 41-46; 1929, pp. 69-70, 85-86.
Wildlife research in national parks instituted by George M. Wright, of Yosemite naturalist organization. YNHA, 1929, p. 66; Russell, 1939, p. 10; Wright, Dixon, and Thompson.
W. B. Lewis transferred to Washington; became Assistant Director, National Park Service. E. P. Leavitt designated Acting Superintendent. YNP, 1929.
A hospital, which after the death of Assistant Director Lewis, 1930, was named the W. B. Lewis Memorial Hospital, was constructed in Yosemite Valley at cost of $50,000. USNPS, 1929, p. 144.
Col. C. G. Thomson appointed Superintendent. YNP, 1929.
Stephen T. Mather dies, January 22. Story.
“Live Indian Exhibit” instituted on Yosemite Museum grounds; project made possible by the coöperation of the Yosemite Natural History Association.
Maggie Howard, “Ta-bu-ce” of the Monos was engaged to demonstrate modes of Indian life. USNPS, 1930, p. 168; YNHA, 1933, pp. 14-16.
Sugar pine forest on west side of park acquired through private gift and government appropriation. YNHA, 1930, pp. 65-66.
W. B. Lewis died August 28 in Chevy Chase, Maryland. USNPS, 1931.
High Sierra snow surveys organized on consolidated basis. Brockman, 1946, pp. 105-109; YNHA, 1927, p. 19; Russell, 1928, pp. 36-38.
Marjorie Montgomery Ward presented $4,000 with which to develop a living exhibit of native flowers at the rear of the Yosemite Museum. USNPS, 1931; YNHA, 1931, p. 64; 1932, pp. 4-5.
Research Reserves established (White Mountain, Boundary Hill, and Swamp Lake). USNPS, Master Plan, 1942, Sheet 7, map; YNHA, 1927, pp. 46-48.
Glacier measurements instituted in the Yosemite High Sierra. YNHA, 1934, pp. 44-46; 1935, pp. 93-96; 1942, pp. 89-91.
Wawona Basin, 8,785 acres, added to Yosemite National Park. Half of the funds required were donated; the Department of Interior was authorized by Congress to match the donation with federal funds. USNPS, 1932, p. 61.
Mariposa Grove Museum established. USNPS, 1932, p. 63; YNHA, 1932, p. 4.
Big Trees Lodge constructed in Mariposa Grove at Sunset Point. Earlier tent camp eliminated from upper grove. USNPS, 1932, p. 64.
Cosmopolitan House, built in 1873, destroyed by fire, Dec. 8. YNHA, 1933, p. 1-2.
Sierra Club Rock-Climbing Section organized. Leonard, R. M., 1938, p. ii.
Devils Postpile National Monument placed under supervision of the superintendent, Yosemite National Park. YNHA, 1935, pp. 45-57.
Tule elk herd (27 animals) removed from Yosemite Valley to Owens Valley, east of Sierra. YNHA, 1933, pp. 107-109.
Arno B. Cammerer made Director of National Park Service upon resignation of Horace M. Albright. USNPS, 1933, p. 153.
Wawona Road and tunnel dedicated June 10, 1933. YNP, 1933, p. 1.
“Emergency programs,” C.C.C., C.W.A., and P.W.A. advanced the construction and management projects of the park. Five C.C.C. camps were established at Wawona, Crane Flat, and Eleven Mile Meadow. YNP, 1933, pp. 26-32.
First ascent of Higher Cathedral Spire, April 15; Lower Cathedral Spire, August 25. Leonard, R. M., 1934, p. 178.
Hetch Hetchy water flows into San Francisco. YNHA, 1934, pp. 89-91; YNP, 1935, pp. 11-12.
Radio replaced mountain telephone lines in Yosemite administration. YNP, 1934, p. 11.
Outdoor church bowl in Yosemite Valley improved by C.C.C. YNP, 1934.
Ski house built at Badger Pass by Yosemite Park and Curry Co. YNP, 1936, p. 6.
Thomas Moran art collection acquired by the Yosemite Museum. YNP, 1936, p. 4; YNHA, 1936, pp. 57-64; 1944, pp. 64-68.
Yosemite Museum acquired 198 oil and water-color paintings by the Yosemite artist, Chris Jorgensen. YNP, 1937, p. 7.
First ski ascent of Mount Lyell, March 2, by Bestor Robinson, David R. Brower, Lewis F. Clark, Boynton S. Kaiser, and Einar Nilsson. Brower, 1938, pp. 40-45.
Harry Cassie Best dies in San Francisco, October 14. Virginia Best Adams and Ansel Adams take over operation of Best Studio, Yosemite Valley. YNHA, 1936, p. 88a, back cover; 1945, p. 44.
Lawrence C. Merriam appointed to superintendency in June following death of C. G. Thomson. YNP, 1937, p. 2; YNHA, 1937, pp. 36-38.
Hetch Hetchy Dam enlarged by addition of 85 feet to its height. YNP, 1938, p. 9.
Tenaya Lake High Sierra Camp removed and new camp established at May Lake. YNP, 1938, p. 14.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited Yosemite Valley and Mariposa Grove, July 15. YNP, 1939, p. 6.
Sentinel Hotel, River Cottage, and Ivy Cottage torn down in Dec. YNP, 1939, p. 21.
Gabriel Sovulewski died Nov. 29. YNP, 1939, p. 11.
Vegetation type map of the park prepared by Branch of Forestry, National Park Service. USNPS, Master Plan, 1942, two maps and key.
Newton B. Drury appointed to Yosemite Advisory Board, Feb. 24. YNP, 1939, p. 10.
Newton B. Drury appointed Director of the National Park Service in June, when Arno B. Cammerer requested that he be relieved of his duties as Director for reasons of health. USNPS, 1940, p. 204.
Tioga Road, Crane Flat to McSwain Meadows, and Big Oak Flat Road, from Crane Flat to El Portal Road, constructed on modern standards; opened with ceremonies, June 23. YNP, 1940, p. 1. USNPS, Master Plan, 1942.
Cedar Cottage (Upper Hotel) and Oak Cottage razed. YNP, 1941, pp. 3-4; 1942, p. 6.
C. A. Harwell vacated the Yosemite Park Naturalist position Sept. 7. YNHA, 1941, p. 37.
Ski-touring accommodations provided at Ostrander Lake, under slopes of Horse Ridge. YNP, 1941, p. 2.
William E. Colby appointed to membership on Yosemite Advisory Board effective November 15. Maulding, Mrs. J. Atwood.
Mrs. John Degnan, pioneer park operator, died Dec. 15. YNP, 1941, p. 9.
Arno B. Cammerer, Director of National Park Service, 1933-1940, died April 30. USNPS, 1942.
C. Frank Brockman appointed Yosemite Park Naturalist, Mar. 27. YNHA, 1941, p. 37.
Bear-feeding programs in Yosemite Valley discontinued. YNP, 1941, p. 3.
Superintendent Lawrence C. Merriam appointed Regional Director, National Park Service, Region Two (Omaha, Nebraska), July 31. Frank A. Kittredge transferred from Grand Canyon National Park to the Yosemite superintendency, Aug. 1. YNP, 1942, pp. 1, 5.
Cosie Hutchings Mills visited Yosemite Valley, Aug. 20, after absence of 42 years. YNHA, 1941, p. 111; 1942, pp. 37-40.
Yosemite School of Field Natural History and Junior Nature School discontinued for duration of war. YNHA, 1942, p. 30; YNP, 1942, p. 7.
Activities of C.C.C. in Yosemite National Park discontinued in July. YNP, 1943, p 1.
U. S. Army Signal Corps units utilized National Park Service facilities at Wawona and Badger Pass as special summer training schools. YNP, 1943, p. 1; 1944, pp. 1-2; 1945, p. 2.
Armed-forces men who came to Yosemite National Park for recreation or conditioning totaled 23,272 in the fiscal year ending June 30. (This total reached 89,686 during the war years.) YNP, 1943, p. 1; 1944, p. 2.
J. N. LeConte appointed Collaborator, Yosemite Advisory Board. YNP, 1943, p. 2.
Ranger-naturalist program discontinued as a war measure. YNHA, 1943, pp. 46-47.
Death of Dr. H. C. Bumpus, of the National Park Service Advisory Board, June 21. YNHA, 1943, pp. 97-101.
Death of John Degnan, pioneer resident and operator, Feb. 27. Mary Ellen Degnan, daughter, continued operation of Degnan store. YNP, 1943, p. 10.
Death of Mrs. Mabel Sweetman Boysen, longtime operator and resident, May 10. YNP, 1943, p. 11.
Ahwahnee Hotel converted to hospital use by U. S. Navy, June 23 (to Dec. 15, 1945). YNP, 1944, p. 1; YNHA, 1946, p. 75; Yosemite Park and Curry Co., 1946, pp. 1-76.
Death of Chief Ranger Forest S. Townsley, Aug. 11. YNP, 1944, p. 6; YNHA, 1943, p. 75.
Transfer of Acting Chief Ranger John H. Wegner to Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks. YNHA, 1944, pp. 32-33.
Oscar A. Sedergren appointed Chief Ranger. YNHA, 1944, pp. 37-38.
M. E. Beatty, Associate Park Naturalist, transferred to Glacier National Park, Montana. M. V. Walker appointedviceBeatty. YNHA, 1944, pp. 58, 60.
First consideration given to the removal of some of the physical developments from Yosemite Valley and the establishment of new centers of operations in less precious localities. Vint, 1945.
Elizabeth H. Godfrey, a student and writer of Yosemite history, transferred from Yosemite to Region Four, National Park Service. YNHA, 1945, p. 97.
Meadows and vista restoration program initiated in Yosemite Valley. YNP, 1945, p. 10.
Yosemite Valley Railway abandoned August 27. YNP, 1946, p. 5.
Park Naturalist C. Frank Brockman resigns from National Park Service. YNHA, 1946, pp. 110-111.
Lost Arrow ascended by Jack Arnold, Anton Nelson, Fritz Lippmann, and Robin Hansen, September 2. YNHA, 1946, pp. 113-116; Brower, 1946, pp. 121-122.
Constam T-bar lift for skiers constructed at Badger Pass in fall. YNP, 1947.
Maggie Howard, “Ta-bu-ce,” a principal character in Yosemite Indian demonstration, died at Mono Lake. Kittredge, 1947.
The following references are to pertinent titles in the bibliography of Yosemite history. A comprehensive bibliography is to be found in the Yosemite section, pages viii to 134, ofA Bibliography of National Parks and Monuments West of the Mississippi River, National Park Service, Western Museum Laboratories, Berkeley, California, 1941. No attempt has been made here to list all items descriptive of the park.
Adams, Ansel.Sierra Nevada: The John Muir Trail[“Transmission of emotional experience”] (Berkeley, 1938), 50 plates.
Adams, Virginia, andAnsel Adams.Illustrated Guide to Yosemite Valley(San Francisco, 1940), 128 pp., illus., maps.
Albright, Horace M.“How the National Park Service Came into Being: A Reminiscence,”American Civic Annual, 1929, pp. 9-12.
——. “Yosemite on the Way to Protection,”American Civic Annual, 1929, pp. 23-25.
American Motorist.“Yosemite Motor-Conquered,” September, 1916, p. 37.
American Planning and Civic Association.Portfolio on the national park and monument system (Washington, D. C., n.d.), four booklets, 32 pp. each.
Anonymous.Mono County(F. W. McIntosh, Reno, 1908), 96 pp., illus.
Archibald, J. F.“A Cavalry March to the Yosemite,”Illustrated American, November, 1896.
Ayres, Thomas A.Original pencil drawings made in Yosemite Valley, 1855 and 1856 (Yosemite Museum exhibits).
Badè, W. F.“The Hetch Hetchy Situation [editorial],”Sierra Club Bulletin, 9 (1914): 3, 174-176.
——. “John Muir in Yosemite,”Natural History, March-April, 1920.
——.The Life and Letters of John Muir(2 vols., Boston and New York, 1924).
Bailey, C. A.“The Vantage Points of Yosemite,”Sunset, April, 1899.
——. “Unfrequented Paths of Yosemite.”Overland Monthly, July, 1886, pp. 88-92.
Bancroft, Hubert Howe.Tourists’ Guide(1871).
——.History of California, I, 1542-1800 (San Francisco, 1884), 744 pp.; III, 1825-1840 (1885), 792 pp.; IV, 1840-1845 (1886).
Barrus, C.“In the Yosemite with John Muir,”The Craftsman, December, 1912.
Bartlet, L.“By Rail to the Yosemite.”Pacific Monthly, June, 1907, pp. 730-738.
Beadle, J. H.The Undeveloped West(Philadelphia, 1873), 824 pp., illus.
Beatty, M. E.“History of the Firefall,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1934, pp. 41-43.
——. “Glaciers of Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1934, pp. 44-46.
——. “C. E. Watkins, One of the Early Photographers of Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1936, pp. 17-18.
——. “A Brief Story of the Geology of Yosemite Valley,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1943, pp. 33-40.
——. “Bears of Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1943, pp. 1-16.
Beatty, M. E., andC. A. Harwell. “Birds of Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1938, pp. 1-36.
Belden, C. J.“The Tioga Road across the Sierra Nevada,”Geographical Review, June, 1919.
Bell, Major Horace.Reminiscences of a Ranger(Santa Barbara, 1927), 500 pp., illus.
Bidwell, John.John Bidwell’s Trip to California, 1841 (St. Louis, 1842), 32 pp.
——. “First Emigrant Train to California,”Century Magazine, November, 1890.
Blackwelder, Eliot.“Pleistocene Glaciation in the Sierra Nevada and Basin Ranges,”Bull. Geol. Soc. Amer., 42 (1931), 865-922.
Blake, Mary E.On the Wing(Boston, 1883), 236 pp.
Boddam-Whetham, J. W.Western Wanderings(London, 1874), 364 pp., illus.
Bodie Daily Free Press, November 3, 1879; January 26, 1884.
Bodie Standard, November 7, 1877; June 6, 1881.
Boling, Captain John.“Letter from Yosemite Valley,”Alta California, June 12, 1851.
——. “Letter from Camp on Fresno River,”Alta California, June 14, 1851.
Bolles, Ida Savage.“Sidelights on Major James Savage,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1929, pp. 15-16.
Borell, Adrey E.“History of Fishing in Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1934, pp. 57-60.
Bowles, Samuel.Our New West(New York, 1869), 524 pp., illus.
Brace, Charles Loring.The New West(New York, 1869), 374 pp.
Branson, I. R.Yosemite against Corporation Greed(Aurora, Neb., 1909), 30 pp.
Breitenstein, A. J.“The Park-to-Park Highway,”New West, May, 1917, pp. 17-20.
Brewer, William H.Up and Down California in 1860-1864(Yale University Press, New Haven, 1930).
Brewster, E. T.Life and Letters of J. D. Whitney(Boston, 1909), 412 pp.
Brockman, C. Frank.“Contributions of the Naturalist to Winter Recreation,”Proceedings, Second Park Naturalist Conference(Washington, D. C.), pp. 74-80 [mim.].
——. “Little Change in Yosemite’s Glaciers,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1942, pp. 89-91.
——. “Development of Transportation to Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1943, pp. 49-63, 69-72, 76-79, 81-86, 91-96, 101-103.
——. “Administrative Officers of Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1944, pp. 53-57.
——. “Principal Waterfalls of the World and Their Relation to Those in Yosemite National Park,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1945, pp. 1-32.
——. “Yosemite and the Mother Lode Country,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1946, pp. 81-85.
——. “The ‘Why’ of Snow Surveys,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1946, pp. 57-61.
——. “The Great Sierra Snow Survey,”Natural History, March, 1946, pp. 105-109.
——. “Introduced Trees in Yosemite National Park” [Landmarks of pioneer activities],Yosemite Nature Notes, 1946, pp. 90-92.
——. “Principal Administrative Officers of Yosemite: Frederick Law Olmsted,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1946, pp. 106-110.
——. “Broadleaved Trees of Yosemite National Park,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1947, pp. 1-40.
Bromley, I. H.“The Big Trees and the Yosemite,”Scribner’s Monthly, January, 1872.
Brower, David R.“Beyond the Skiways,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 23 (1938): 2, 40-45. [First ski ascent of Mount Lyell.]
——. “Winter Sports Dilemma,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 31 (1946): 5, 6-7.
——. “Lost Arrow,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 31 (1946): 6, 121-122.
——. “Skiing the Sky-Land,”American Ski Annual, 1947, pp. 49-59.
Brower, David R., withRichard M. Leonard, “A Climber’s Guide to the High Sierra: Part IV, Yosemite Valley,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 25 (1940): 1, 41-63.
Bryant, Harold C.“A School for Nature Guides,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1925, pp. 9-10, 16.
——. “Recollections,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1932.
—— andWallace W. Atwood, Jr.Research and Education in the National Parks(Washington, D. C., 1932), pp. 1-66.
——. “A Nature Preserve [Research Reserve] for Yosemite,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1927, pp. 46-48.
——. “Trails and Trail Use,”Proceedings of Eighth Appalachian Trail Conference, 1938, pp. 26-30.
Bryce, James.National Parks—The Need of the Future. University and historical addresses (1913), 434 pp.
Buckley, J. M.Two Weeks in the Yosemite and Vicinity(New York, 1884), 36 pp.
Bunnell, L. H.Discovery of the Yosemite(Chicago, 1880), 332 pp., portrait, map.
Burns, J.“Yosemite,” in T. Cook’sLetters from the Sea and Foreign Lands(1873), 124 pp.
Burns, Ned J.Field Manual for Museums(National Park Service, Washington, D. C., 1941), xii + 426 pp.
Burroughs, John.“The Spell of the Yosemite,”Century Magazine(Nov., 1910), pp. 47-53.
California Alpine Club.Trails(San Francisco, 1920 to date).
California Fish and Game Commission.California Fish and Game(Sacramento, 1914 to date).
California Legislature.Investigations of Yosemite Commissioners; Assembly Hearings, 1889, 430 pp.
California State Board of Trade.Yosemite Valley: History, Description and Statement of Conditions Relative to the Proposed Recession to the National Government, Circular 13 (Sacramento, 1904), 34 pp., map.
California State Mineralogist.Report, 1888, pp. 367-371.
California, Statutes of, chap. dxxxvi, 1865-66.
California Supreme Court.Frémont Decision (Burnett). Case ofBiddle Boggsvs.Merced Mining Company, 14th California Report, January term, 1858.
Century Magazine.Editorial, “The Care of the Yosemite Valley,” January, 1890.
——. Editorial, “Amateur Management of the Yosemite Scenery,” September, 1890.
Chamberlain, A.“Scenery as a National Asset,”Outlook, May, 1910, pp. 157-169.
Chamberlain, Newell D.The Call of Gold: True Tales of the Gold Road to Yosemite(Mariposa, 1936), 184 pp., illustrations, maps.
Chapman, C. E.History of California: The Spanish Period(New York, 1921), 528 pp., illus.
Chase, J. S.Yosemite Trails(Boston and New York, 1911), 354 pp., illus.
Churchill, C. M.Over the Purple Hills(Denver, 1876), 336 pp., illus.
——.The Big Trees of California(Redondo, Calif., 1907), 104 pp., illus.
Clark, Galen.Indians of the Yosemite Valley and Vicinity(Yosemite, 1904), 110 pp., illus.
——.The Yosemite Valley: Its History, Characteristic Features, and the Theories Regarding Its Origin(Yosemite Valley [Nelson L. Slater], 1910), 108 pp., illus.
——. “Yosemite: Past and Present,”Sunset, April, 1909, pp. 394-396.
Clark, W. A.“Automobiling in Yosemite Valley,”Overland Monthly, August, 1902, pp. 104-110.
Clarke, Clinton C.“Story of Building the Pacific Crest Trailway, 1932-1942,” bulletin of the Pacific Crest Trail System Conference, Pasadena, Calif., 1942, pp. 1-6.
——.The Pacific Crest Trailway(Pasadena, Calif.: Pacific Crest Trail System Conference, 1945), 126 pp., maps.
Cleland, R. G.Pathfinders, of the series, “California” (Los Angeles, 1929), 452 pp., illus.
Clemens, Samuel L.Roughing It(Hartford, 1872), 592 pp., illus.
Cloos, Ernst.“Structure of the Sierra Nevada Batholith,” inGuidebook 16, International Geological Congress (Washington, D. C., 1932), pp. 40-45, map, bibliog.
Coffman, John D.“How Much and What Kind of Forest Land Should Be Devoted Exclusively to Recreation and Aesthetics?”Journal of Forestry(February, 1937), pp. 210-214.
Colby, William E.“The Completed LeConte Memorial Lodge,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 5 (1904): 1, 66-69, illus.
——. “The Sierra Club,”Forestry and Irrigation, August, 1905, pp. 391-393.
——. “The Soda Springs Purchase,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 8 (1912): 4, 272-274.
——. “The John Muir Trail,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 10 (1916): 1, 86-92.
——. “Yosemite and the Sierra Club,”Sierra Club Bulletin, 23 (1938): 2, 11-19.
——. “Yosemite’s Fatal Beauty,”National Parks Magazine(January-March, 1947), pp. 4-11.
Cole, James E.“Origin of the Name, ‘Yosemite,’”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1936, pp. 49-54.
——. “Museum [Yosemite] Scientific Collections,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1936, pp. 27-32, 37-40.
Commonwealth Club of California.“Should We Stop Building New Roads into California’s High Mountains?”The Commonwealth12 (June 2, 1936): 22, 325-386, illus.
Cone, Mary.Two Years in California(Chicago, 1876), 238 pp., illus.
Conway, John.Time Book, Glacier Point Road Construction (in Yosemite Museum).
Cook, Lawrence F.The Giant Sequoias of California(Washington, D. C., 1942), 28 pp., illus.
——. “Forest Fire Prevention,”Yosemite Nature Notes, 1945, pp. 57-61.
Corcoran, May Stanislas.“Wilderness Odds,”Oakland Tribune, July 5, 1925.
——. “Mariposa, the Land of Hidden Gold” (MS in Yosemite Museum).
Cornhill Magazine, “Early Spring in California,” April, 1883.
Cosmopolitan House.Grand Register, 1873. [A massive record of visitors during the stagecoach days. Lent to the Yosemite Museum by the Utter family.]
Country Gentleman, October 9, 1856.