Considering Town Square as a focal point, there are several divergent routes one may take, each contributing its legacy of historical interest.
TOWN SQUARE—Old view. Looking down Church Lane. Leyden Street (first street) and ocean in distance.
TOWN SQUARE—Old view. Looking down Church Lane. Leyden Street (first street) and ocean in distance.
Let us now leave Town Square and wend our way along Leyden Street, so named in 1823, originally called First Street and later Great and Broad Street. On the right as we move easterly toward the water we see, on the site of the Elder Brewster homestead, the new Federal Building, in which is located the Customs House and Post Office. This is on the corner of Leyden Street and Main Street Extension, the latter extending over Town Brook referred to in Bradford’s History as “a very sweete brooke,” and which runs parallel with Leyden Street, emptying into the harbor just below.
OLD LEYDEN STREET HOUSESWith gardens bordering the brook, popularly called, after the Dutch, “Meersteads”
OLD LEYDEN STREET HOUSES
With gardens bordering the brook, popularly called, after the Dutch, “Meersteads”
PILGRIM MAID AND POOLBrewster Gardens
PILGRIM MAID AND POOLBrewster Gardens
{Illustrated capital}
A spot both picturesque and historical lies to the south of Leyden Street bordering Town Brook. It covers land first allotted to William Brewster, John Goodman and Peter Brown in the original lay-out. The gardens in the rear extended downwards to the brook.
In the early days the estuary at the mouth of the stream was sufficiently wide and deep at high tideto permit the passing of fishing boats to what is now the third bridge. Many small craft “tied up” here during the winter months and periods of bad weather. Later a dam was built at the mouth of the stream and for generations water extended over an area of several acres.
The reclamation of this area was a part of the Tercentenary program. It was drained and graded, and the brook now follows its natural course through the park, now known as Brewster Gardens. The old English or Dutch gardens in the rear of the houses fronting on Leyden Street present a decided contrast.
Near the brook stands Henry H. Kitson’s statue of the Pilgrim Maiden mounted upon a native boulder and impressive in its sublimity. It seems to symbolize the courage and determination with which the adversities confronting the colonists were met and overcome. It was presented to the town by the National Society of New England Women, and bears the inscription—“To those intrepid English women, whose courage, fortitude and devotion brought a new nation into being, this statue of the Pilgrim Maiden is dedicated.”
Close at hand is the spring that supplied “sweete water” in the days of the Pilgrims. Water from this spring has been piped to the street above and supplies a drinking fountain near the Post Office.
A flight of stone steps designed by Fletcher Steele leads to this park.
Another memorial not to be overlooked is the stone seat also designed by Fletcher Steele and presented to the town by the National Society of Daughters of the American Colonists who came in the ship Ann in 1623.
PLYMOUTH POST OFFICE (Early Photo)Corner Leyden Street—First Street in New England
PLYMOUTH POST OFFICE (Early Photo)Corner Leyden Street—First Street in New England
Much of the credit for reclaiming this area so closely associated with the lives of the Pilgrims and developing this beautiful park is due Mrs. William H. Forbes of Milton whose father, Ralph Waldo Emerson, married Miss Lidian Jackson, daughter of Charles Jackson, in the old Winslow House shown on another page. This park is reached from both Water Street and Main Street Extension.
The points of greatest historical interest are so closely related in regard to location that to attempt to prescribe a definite route would be extremely difficult.
The most important points of interest are within easy walking distance. As a suggestion, however, one might follow Water Street from Brewster Gardens north and find the historic Rock within a two minutes’ walk.
During the Tercentenary celebration many changes were made in this section. The old wharves and buildings that had characterized this spot for generations, are gone and the immediate surroundings have been converted into a state reservation. It is a ground made sacred to the memory of the Pilgrims as is evidenced by the many memorials and markers in the vicinity, gifts of the various historical societies throughout the country.
PERISTYLE OVER PLYMOUTH ROCK
PERISTYLE OVER PLYMOUTH ROCK
{Illustrated capital}
The magnificent peristyle shown here was designed by the architects McKim, Mead & White and was a gift of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America on the 300th anniversary of the Landing of the Pilgrims.
It encloses the historic “Rock” on which the Pilgrims first set foot. The foundation wall is open on the water side allowing the free wash of the flood tides around the rock as it lies in its original bed.
PLYMOUTH ROCK—A NATIONAL SHRINE
PLYMOUTH ROCK—A NATIONAL SHRINE
Plymouth Rock, emblematic and suggestive of the Pilgrim associations has been viewed by countless thousands of people, not only from our own states, but the world over. It has been photographed, painted, and reproduced in bronze. On this rock the Pilgrims first stepped foot, December 21st, 1620. To those who may be prone to scepticism it can be stated that its interesting history has been handed down from generation to generation from Elder Thomas Faunce, who was born in Plymouth in 1647, and who died in 1746, aged 99 years. A few years before his death, at a time when removal or covering up of the rock was under contemplation,he made vigorous protest at what he termed the desecration of an object of deep veneration, stating that his father, John Faunce, who came over in the Ann in 1623, had told him that it was on that rock that the forefathers landed, as stated by them to him.
It is further possible that an early age some of the eldest of the Mayflower passengers may have imparted this information to Elder Faunce directly. During the war of the Revolution, an attempt was made to remove the rock to Town Square, there to be viewed as an emblem of liberty, civic and religious. In the operation of lifting, the upper portion split away, leaving the base in its original bed. This top portion was, however, transferred to the square, where it remained until 1834, when it was taken to Pilgrim Hall and placed within an iron fence at the left of the entrance. In 1880 it was moved back and cemented to its original base.
In the vicinity where the Rock now rests there were once many wharves and industrial enterprises. Plymouth was then an active and busy seaport but all this was changed when the Commonwealth of Massachusetts bought this land in 1920 and made it into a reservation.
The memorial pictured below, standing close to the Rock and Peristyle, is symbolic of the part played by the women of the Plymouth Colony in shaping the destinies of this, the first permanent settlement. Their courage and fortitude fill a glorious page in the annals of American colonization.
MEMORIAL FOUNTAINBy C. T. Jennewein“Erected by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution in Memory of the Heroic Women of the Mayflower 1620-1920.”
MEMORIAL FOUNTAINBy C. T. Jennewein
“Erected by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution in Memory of the Heroic Women of the Mayflower 1620-1920.”
{Illustrated capital}
Rising directly back of the landing place is Cole’s Hill, named after James Cole who settled here in 1633 and who died in Plymouth in 1692. Here lie those who died the first fateful winter. The hardships of the voyage and the lack of proper accommodations after thelanding developed much sickness, which made frightful inroads on the little colony, their number being reduced one-half during the first few months, and those remaining being “scarce able to bury the dead.”
SARCOPHAGUS—COLE’S HILL
SARCOPHAGUS—COLE’S HILL
They were reduced so fast and to such an extent that it was deemed wise to conceal the graves, so they planted corn that Indians might remain in ignorance of their great losses. At various timesin the process of excavating, human remains have been uncovered. These were carefully re-interred and a granite slab bearing an appropriate inscription now marks the spot and conveys to the visitor a mute attest to the sacrifices of those who contributed their part in shaping the destinies of our country.
Remains that were found during excavations for a water main on Carver Street in 1855 were, upon their identification as those of the Caucasian race as distinguished from the native Indians, placed in a vault on Burial Hill. Later, upon completion of the canopy over Plymouth Rock in 1867, they were placed in a receptacle in the top of that memorial. They now repose in the Sarcophagus erected under the direction and at the expense of the General Society of Mayflower Descendants.
During the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 batteries were implanted on the brow of the hill to protect the town from approach by water.
A memorial seat on Cole’s Hill was erected in 1917 by the descendants and to the memory of James Cole, born in London, England, 1600. Died Plymouth, 1692. First settled on Cole’s Hill, 1633. A soldier in Pequot War, 1637.
Occupying a commanding position on Cole’s Hill is the statue of Massasoit, chief of the Wampanoags and friend of the colonists.
It was done in bronze by Cyrus Dallin and is mounted upon a native boulder with a tablet bearing the following inscription:
MassasoitGreat Sachemof theWampanoagsProtector andPreserver of thePilgrims1621Erected by theInternationalOrder of RedMen as aGrateful Tribute1921
MASSASOIT“Friend of the Pilgrims”
MASSASOIT“Friend of the Pilgrims”
THE EDWARD WINSLOW HOUSE
THE EDWARD WINSLOW HOUSE
Winslow Street curves north from lower North Street and enters Water Street a short distance beyond. At the apex of the curve stands the house built in 1754 by Edward Winslow, great-grandson of Gov. Edward Winslow of the Plymouth Colony. The timbers used in its construction were brought from England. As shown, the house is an elaboration of the house in its original form. The trees in front of the house were planted by Edward Winslow’s daughter in 1760.
This property has been acquired by the National Society of Mayflower Descendants.
The above picture shows the Winslow House in its reconstruction. It was in this house that Ralph Waldo Emerson married Miss Lidian Jackson,daughter of Charles and Lucy (Cotton) Jackson who, at the time, occupied the house. It was later the residence of Rev. George Ware Briggs, long identified with the First Church in Plymouth.
Passing up North Street, shaded by its arch of lindens, we come to the house of Gen. John Winslow, built in 1730. This building stands at the corner of Main and North Streets and is now a business block. It was upon Gen. Winslow, who was a brother of Edward Winslow, that fell the unpleasant burden of removing the neutral Arcadians from Nova Scotia. This historic building was later the home of James Warren, President of the Provincial Congress, who married Mercy Otis, sister of James Otis, the brilliant champion of American rights.
We are now in Shirley Square, the town’s business center.
It may be observed that North Street and Leyden Street run parallel toward the water, Carver Street following the curve on Cole’s Hill connecting with both streets at the north and south sides of the hill. Middle Street, starting at Main, runs between North and Leyden Streets and ends at the hill.
To those who have not visited Plymouth in recent years, the transition of Court and North Streets from their quiet residential charm, to avenues of commercial enterprise, will be noticeable. It is the inevitable contribution to expansion and progress.
Let us turn right here and proceed north on Court Street. A few steps takes us to the Plymouth County Court House and the Registry of Deeds.
The Plymouth County Court House stands between North and South Russell Streets with its wide expanse of lawn extending to Court Street. From here one looks down Brewster Street to the harbor. On the northerly corner of Brewster and Court Streets is the Methodist Church. On the southerly corner, the home of the Old Colony Club.
The Court House was erected in 1820 and was remodeled in 1857. It contains, beside the court rooms, accommodations for the various county offices.
During recent years the houses on the south side of South Russell Street running westerly from School Street have been removed and Burial Hill has been extended to the corner. This change brings the historic hill into view across the Court House lawn as one approaches from the north.
{Illustrated capital}
On North Russell Street stands the Registry of Deeds, a fireproof building erected in 1904. To the antiquarian and those interested in historical data, this building would rank next to Pilgrim Hall, if not first in importance. It contains papers of unusual interest, including many signed by Pilgrim hands, as well as those bearing the identifying signs or marks of the native Indians.
There are deeds in the native language, Gov. Bradford’s order for trial by jury, various laws pertaining to the guidance of the colony and of the division of land, including a plan of the laying out of the first street (now Leyden Street).
The second patent, dated 1629, granted by the Earl of Warwick, may be seen in the original box in which it came from England.
The distribution of milk from the cows imported from England is even provided for. This was a matter of much concern as the supply was short and the demand great, to which these papers bear attest. The Registry of Probate occupies the second floor of the building.
Continuing along Court Street to Chilton Street we come to Pilgrim Hall, stopping at the Tabitha Plasket House on the way.
TABITHA PLASKET HOUSE
TABITHA PLASKET HOUSE
This house, pictured above, was built in 1722 by Consider Howland, great-grandson of John Howland, who came in the Mayflower. A considerable part of the original structure still remains. It was occupied for some years by Tabitha Plasket, said to have been the first woman school teacher, and a person of strong personality and rigorous discipline. It is recorded that she hung unruly scholars to the wall by placing a skein of yarn under the arms as a corrective measure. The house is located on the east side of Court Street, between the Court House and Pilgrim Hall.
PILGRIM HALL
PILGRIM HALL
{Illustrated capital}
One is awakened to the realism of the early life of the Colony with a visit to Pilgrim Hall, that shrine of all lovers of Pilgrim history, where repose many articles brought over in the Mayflower and closely associated with the daily life of the Pilgrims.
INTERIOR VIEW OF PILGRIM HALL MUSEUM
INTERIOR VIEW OF PILGRIM HALL MUSEUM
This building on the easterly side of Court Street, a short distance north of the Court House, was erected by the Pilgrim Society in 1824 in memory of the Pilgrims and as a depository for historical relics; In 1880 material improvements were made in the original structure, largely through the generosity of the late Joseph Henry Stickney of Baltimore who had always taken an intense interest in matters concerning the early colony. At the time, the top portion of Plymouth Rock, which had for 46 years been resting at one side of the entrance to the hall, the latter part of the time enclosed by an iron fence, was moved back to its original bed and placed on the base where ithas since remained. Later in 1911-12 the Pilgrim Society spent approximately $15,000 in completing the work already inaugurated by Mr. Stickney, making the building practically fireproof with its steel beams, terra cotta and cement tiles, marble floors, etc. Its Doric portico is impressive in its dignity and will be easily recognized as one approaches from either direction.
MAYFLOWER FOUNTAINLocated in garden in rear of Pilgrim Hall. Gift of the General Society Daughters of the Revolution
MAYFLOWER FOUNTAIN
Located in garden in rear of Pilgrim Hall. Gift of the General Society Daughters of the Revolution
The following are only a few of the interesting treasures within the hall:
Picture of the “Landing,” in vestibule of Hall. Given by R. G. Shaw of Boston.
Picture of the “Landing,” 13 x 16 feet, by Henry Sargent of Boston and presented by him in 1834. On east wall of hall.
Copy of Weir’s Embarkation from Delft Haven. Painted by Edgar Parker. South wall of hall.
Departure from Delft Haven, by Charles Lucy. Presented by Alexander H. Rice, former governor of Massachusetts. This picture won first prize of one thousand guineas at an exhibition in England. Of great value. West wall.
Original of Weir’s Embarkation of the Pilgrims from Delft Haven. Purchased by the Society in 1914 (Weir’s picture in the rotunda of the Capitol at Washington is an enlargement from this study).
W. F. Halsall’s fine painting of the Mayflower in Plymouth Harbor hangs on the north wall inclosed by portraits of the Winslow family.
Many engravings of historic interest, including the Signing of the Compact.
Patent of the Plymouth Colony. This is the oldest state document in New England. It bears the date of June 1, 1621, was granted to John Peirce and came over in the ship Fortune in November, 1621. It shows the seals and signatures of the Duke of Lenox, the Marquis of Hamilton, the Earl of Warwick, Lord Sheffield and Sir Fernando Gorges. Several parts of this ancient document have broken away, including the seal of Hamilton and the seal and signature of John Peirce, the party of the second part thereto. This charter includes the territory in and around Cape Cod Bay, outside that allotted in the first charter which had covered theterritory to the south in the neighborhood of the Virginia Capes. This second charter was granted by the Council for New England, which had been created by royal authority after the departure of the Pilgrims from Plymouth, England.
GOV. CARVER’S CHAIR IN PILGRIM HALL MUSEUM
GOV. CARVER’S CHAIR IN PILGRIM HALL MUSEUM
Bible of Governor William Bradford printed in Geneva in 1592.
Chairs of Elder Brewster, Gov. Carver and Gov. Winslow.
Carved back of pew taken from parish church at Scrooby, Eng.
The famous sword of Captain Myles Standish dating back several centuries before the Christian era; captured from the Persians by the Saracens in 637 at Jerusalem and bearing the inscription in Arabic, “With peace God ruled His slaves (creatures) and with the judgment of his arm He troubled the mighty of the wicked.”
Portraits of Dr. James Tucker, first secretary of the Pilgrim Society; Joseph Henry Stickney, generous contributor to the Society, hanging over bronze tablet; George Washington; Edward Everett; Edward Winslow, Governor of Plymouth Colony in 1633-36-44; Josiah Winslow, son of Edward Winslow, Governor, 1673-1680; Penelope Winslow, wife of Governor Josiah; Gen. John Winslow (great grandson of Edward); Dr. Isaac Winslow. These portraits are grouped about the picture of the Mayflower (by Halsall), hanging on the north wall of the hall.
Portrait of the Hon. Daniel Webster.
Original manuscript, including Miss Felicia Heman’s “The Breaking Waves Dashed High.”
In the fireproof annex, which holds the library, are over three thousand volumes of great value, dating back as far as 1559.
There is a basement in which are stored relics of a somewhat later period. In fact, the building is so filled with interesting reminders of the early Colonial days that it would be useless to enumerate them here. There is a complete catalogue obtainable at the hall which will be a great aid to the visitor as each article is described in detail. The Hall is open daily to visitors. Admission twenty-five cents.
The Pilgrim Society held its first meeting after incorporation in the Court House in Plymouth on May 18th, 1820, and elected Mr. Joshua Thomas its first president. It was the result of a previous meeting of Plymouth gentlemen at the home of Mr. Thomas, who were inspired with a desire to perpetuate the memory of the first settlers.
Four years later the original home of the society was erected upon its present location and upon plans of Alexander Parris, architect of the Boston Cathedral of St. Paul. This building as before stated was remodeled in 1880 and the wing which now houses the library and other Pilgrimiana was added in 1904. The present granite facade was a gift of the New England Society in New York in 1922.
Across the street from Pilgrim Hall and a little to the north is the Armory previously referred to,while a few steps beyond is St. Peter’s Catholic Church. At this point on the east side of Court Street is the Plymouth Memorial Building, also previously described. This building stands on the lot formerly occupied by the colonial residence built in 1809 by Major William Hammett and later and for many years occupied by Mr. Thomas Hedge and family. When the erection of the Memorial Building was decided upon, this house was moved back and now faces Water Street and the harbor. It is reminiscent of the early 19th century and is maintained and kept open to visitors during the summer by the Plymouth Antiquarian Society.
Market Street, which parallels Main Street Extension, runs from Town Square southward, converging with Sandwich and Pleasant Streets at its base. Beyond and to the right is Watson’s Hill from which place Massasoit and his braves approached the settlement, crossing the brook at the ford below on their way to the Common House where the famous treaty was consummated. An excellent view of the town is to be had from this elevation, originally a corn field and for generations a section of attractive homes.
OLD DOORWAYS ON SUMMER STREET
OLD DOORWAYS ON SUMMER STREET
Summer street leads westerly from Market Street, being one of the first streets laid out. Here may be seen two of the oldest houses in Plymouth, viz.: the Richard Sparrow House on the left of the street and a short distance from Market Street and the Leach House a few steps beyond at the Corner of Spring Street, once known as Spring Lane. This house was built by George Bonum in 1679.
The Sparrow House is presumed to have been built by Richard Sparrow in 1640. If so, it is the oldest house in Plymouth. Inside it is distinctive of the early 17th century era with its great fireplace and its brick oven.
Note:Spring Street has been referred to as Spring Lane and Baptist Hill, the latter designation derived from the fact that a Baptist chapel occupied a lot for many years on the west side a few steps from Summer Street.
This house is now used as craftsman’s shop by the Plymouth Potters, and is open to visitors.
Plymouth Pottery is unique in that it is made up of local red-firing clay by former pupils of a State Vocational Project—now organized into a co-operative guild.
Many pieces have an early American flavor and the hand-ground glazes give interesting and unusual effects. Many persons have called these pieces “heirlooms of the future.”
Summer Street follows the brook along which were many manufacturing concerns a short generation ago. It leads to the wooded area of the town past Oak Grove and Pine Hills Cemeteries to Morton Park, a woodland sanctuary of nearly 340 acres situated about a mile from the town’s center. This land was given to the town by a group of Plymouth citizens in 1889, headed by Mr. Nathaniel Morton, who was himself a generous contributor.
The Park includes two lakes of sparkling fresh water, Little Pond which covers approximately 40 acres and where accommodations are provided for picnics and bathing, and Billington Sea, covering an area of over three hundred acres.
THE HOWLAND HOUSE—Built in 1666—Restored 1941The only house in Plymouth where Pilgrims once lived
THE HOWLAND HOUSE—Built in 1666—Restored 1941The only house in Plymouth where Pilgrims once lived
Lying just below Watson’s Hill between Pleasant Street on the west and Sandwich Street on the east, is an open square known as Training Green, from the fact that in the earlier days companies of militia were trained there in the manual of arms. In the center stands the Soldiers’ Monument, erected in 1869 to the memory of Plymouth men who served in the army and navy and who gave their lives during the Civil War. This tract of land was used before the arrival of the Pilgrims by the Indians for growing corn. It has contributed its share of arrow heads and other Indian relics, as have the other hills and fields in the immediate neighborhood.
Sandwich Street runs southeasterly from the foot of Market Street, formerly Spring Hill. Near this point on the west side of Sandwich Street, near the head of Water Street, is the Howland House, built in 1666. It was the home of Jabez Howland, son of John Howland of the Mayflower, who died in 1672.
This house is now owned by the Society of Howland Descendants which holds annual reunions for the purpose of keeping alive the family intercourse and the traditions of the early colonial days.
HARLOW HOUSE (1677)The Harlow House, now a museum of 17th century life, is maintained by the Plymouth Antiquarian Society
HARLOW HOUSE (1677)
The Harlow House, now a museum of 17th century life, is maintained by the Plymouth Antiquarian Society
Just beyond on the west side of Sandwich Street (No. 119) is the William Harlow House, built in 1677.
A transfer of land on which this house stands is in the town records under date of July 29, 1669, as follows: “att this meeting a quarter of an acre of land was granted to William Harlow being a little Knowle or smale psell of land lying nere his nowdwelling house on the westerly syde of the Road Way To sett a new house upon.” (sic) Timbers used in the construction of this house were taken from the old fort on Burial Hill.
The Plymouth Antiquarian Society acquired this property with the object of preserving a fine example of the homes of the early settlement. Here may be seen the spinning wheel, the pots and kettles and other articles of domestic use necessary to the family upkeep three centuries and over ago.
The Society also maintains the Antiquarian House on Water Street, which is preserved as it was in early Colonial days and is well worth a visit.
This house was built by William Harlow in 1654 and later acquired by Kendall Holmes. It is located on Winter Street, east of Sandwich Street. The house stands as originally built except for the ell which was added later. In both furnishings and construction it provides a fine example of the houses of the early colonial period.
A short distance beyond is Jabez Corner. Here the roads diverge, the road to the right leading to Chiltonville, once known as Eel River, an attractive community village one and one-half miles distant.
Straight ahead Warren Avenue follows the shore. This is one of Plymouth’s most picturesque anddelightful residential sections with its view of harbor and bay, and its expanse of unbroken terrain as it slopes toward the water, all within easy access to the business center.
One mile to the south is the Plymouth Beach Club and a short distance beyond at the point where Plymouth Beach extends along the inner harbor and Eel River enters the harbor, are the splendid facilities for public bathing provided by the Town of Plymouth. A half mile beyond, near Hotel Pilgrim, is the 18-hole golf course of the Plymouth Country Club, one of the finest in the country.
Here the roads diverge again. The road to the left follows the shore, although at points high above the water, while the road to the right runs directly over the Pine Hills.
These hills were included in the early division of land designated as the “Great Lots” in 1711-12, and later transferred by deed at various times and to various ownerships. At points they reach an altitude of 400 feet above sea level. The roads running nearly parallel, meet at the point three miles south where the Manomet church stands at the southeast corner of the intersection.
One-half mile to the east is White Horse Beach which, during the past few years, has developed into a large summer colony. The beach between White Horse and Manomet Point affords excellentbathing, and boats with tackle for sea fishing are readily obtainable.
Nearby to the south is Hotel Mayflower, and at the “Point” below, the Manomet Coast Guard Station. Manomet Village lies to the west, and on the bluff overlooking the bay is Hotel Idlewild (formerly the Barstow House).
Southward stretch wide acres of fields and meadows, hills and vales dotted here and there by farms and gardens, a variation of landscape that is typical of New England. Hundreds of acres devoted to cranberry culture may be seen from the highway, an indication of the high state of development this industry has reached.
From many points of vantage along the entire shore, coastwise traffic via the Cape Cod Canal may be seen heading north and south.
The Town of Plymouth is fortunate in having this wide expanse of adaptable terrain within its confines. The entire area with its scenic beauty, its woods, its lakes, its bay, its beaches, its rocks, its foliage and flowers, is a natural heritage, which, combined with man’s handiwork, is becoming more and more inviting, not only as a haven of rest and recreation, but as the ideal American homesite.
Prepared by George Ernest BowmanEditor of “The Mayflower Descendant”
There were only one hundred and four (104) Mayflower Passengers. Every one of them is included in the two lists following. There were no other passengers.
The 50 passengers from whom descent can be proved:
The 54 passengers from whom descent cannot be proved.
{Illustrated capital}
The migration of the Pilgrim company was the result of years of friction between the adherents of the established Church of England with its perfunctory ritualisms and those who demanded the right to worship according to their conscience and the simplicity of the gospel as exemplified in the scriptures.
This determined attitude on the part of the dissenters was met by arbitrary rulings on the part of the reigning monarch, King James I, of England and the bishops who received their support from the crown. The oppression became so great that in 1608 the congregation of the Pilgrim Church at Scrooby moved to Amsterdam, Holland, whence in 1609 they moved to Leyden, twenty-two miles distant. Here they remained for twelve years. It was a temporary refuge, however. There was the constantly growing fear of assimilation into Dutch life and habits as well as the absorption of a language foreign to themselves and their posterity. They preferred to remain English men and women although their relations had been friendly with the Dutch who commended their industry and their peaceful contacts. Nevertheless, King James was beginning to exercise his influence in the low countries again much to their discomfiture.
Finally deciding to leave Leyden, application was made to the Virginia Company which had been established in 1606, and held patents to land along the Atlantic coast of North America from the 34th to 45th degrees of north latitude, for a patent to land suitable for settlement.
Having secured their patent, estates were liquidated and, with the proceeds therefrom, together with money subscribed by the London company, styled the Merchant Adventurers, with whom they had formed a business alliance, the Speedwell, asmall vessel of sixty tons, was secured and sent to Delfthaven to transport the colonists to Southampton where the Mayflower, a vessel of one hundred and eighty tons, was to join them.
On the 15th of August, 1620, both vessels left Southampton, but the Speedwell proving unseaworthy, they were obliged to return, putting into the harbor of Dartmouth for repairs. A second attempt resulted in abandoning the Speedwell at Plymouth, from which port the Mayflower sailed alone on the 16th of September. After a tempestuous voyage of sixty-six days, refuge was taken in Cape Cod harbor (Provincetown) on November 21st, 1620.
From here exploring parties set out in the shallop (small boat) to locate a suitable home site and on December 21st a landing was made at Plymouth, the Mayflower following on December 26th. And here a permanent settlement was established.
THE DEPARTURE FOR AMERICA
THE DEPARTURE FOR AMERICA
As the patent they held covered land in the vicinity of the Virginia capes, and settlement was made outside the limits defined therein, a second patent was obtained covering land contiguous to Cape Cod Bay. This second patent was brought over in the Fortune in 1621 and is now preserved in Pilgrim Hall.
It was while the Mayflower lay in Provincetown harbor that, to quote from Mourt’s Relation under date of November 23rd, 1620, “Our people went on shore to refresh themselves and our women to wash as they had great need.” This was on Monday, and is supposed to be the origin of our national “Wash Day.”
SCENE OF LANDING
SCENE OF LANDING
It was here also that the famous document referred to by Bradford as a “combination” but later known as the Compact was drawn and signed. This document has often been referred to as the genesis of our present form of constitutional government as expounded in the Constitution of theUnited States and later expressed by Lincoln as “of the people, by the people and for the people.” It anticipates future growth and development and the enactment of laws necessary to meet changing conditions as “by vertue hereof to enacte, constitute and frame such just & equall lawes, ordinances, Acts, constitutions & offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meete & conuenient for ye generall good of ye Colonie.” (sic)
It has been said of the Pilgrims that “They builded better than they knew.” This should not be interpreted too literally. They laid a solid foundation upon which future generations could and did build, and upon this foundation rests the security of the structure that is our present form of government.
The literal text of this immortal document follows:
{Illustrated capital}
In ye name of God Amen. We whose names are underwriten, the loyall subjects of our dread soueraigne Lord King James, by ye grace of God, of Great Britaine, Franc, & Ireland king, defender of ye faith, &c. Haueing undertaken, for ye glorie of God, and aduancemente of ye christian faith and honour of our king &countrie, a voyage to plant ye first colonie in ye Northerne parts of Virginia, doe by these presents solemnly & mutualy in ye presence of God, and one of another; couenant, & combine our selues togeather into a ciuill body politick; for our better ordering, & preseruation & furtherance of ye ends aforesaid; and by vertue hereof to enacte, constitute, and frame such just & equall lawes, ordinances, Acts, constitutions, & offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meete & conuenient for ye generall good of ye Colonie; unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we haue hereunder subscribed our names at Cap-Codd ye .11. of Nouember in ye year of ye raigne of our soueraigne Lord King James of England, France, & Ireland ye eighteenth, and of Scotland ye fiftie fourth. Ano: Dom. 1620.