Ferries and Bridges

"The best mode perhaps in descending the Ohio, in time of low water, is in keel boats…. Merchants are beginning to prefer this method for safety and expedition; and instead of purchasing boats and taking charge of them themselves, they get their goods freighted down from Pittsburgh in keel boats by the persons who make them, and who make it their business to be prepared, with good boats and experienced hands for such engagements."Cramer's Navigator, 1817.

"The manners of the boatmen are as strange as their language. Their peculiar way of life has given origin not only to an appropriate dialect, but to new modes of enjoyment, riot, and fighting. Almost every boat, while it lies in the harbour has one or more fiddles scraping continually aboard, to which you often see the boatmen dancing. There is no wonder that the way of life which the boatmen lead, in turn extremely indolent, and extremely laborious; for days together requiring little or no effort, and attended with no danger, and then on a sudden, laborious and hazardous, beyond Atlantic navigation; generally plentiful as it respects food, and always so as it regards whiskey, should always have seductions that prove irresistible to the young people that live near the banks of the river…. And yet with all these seductions for the eye and the imagination, no life is so slavish, none so precarious and dangerous. In no employment do the hands so wear out. After the lapse of so very short a period since these waters have been navigated in this way, at every bend, and every high point of the river, you are almost sure to see, as you stop for a moment, indications of the 'narrow house;' the rude monument, the coarse memorial, carved on an adjoining tree by a brother boatman, which marks that an exhausted boatman there yielded his breath, and was buried."Flint's Recollections of the last ten years, 1826.

"Three steamers were built at Pittsburgh in 1816, the 'Franklin,' one hundred and twenty-five tons, by Messrs. Shiras and Cromwell; the 'Oliver Evans,' seventy-five tons, by George Evans; and the 'Harriet,' forty tons, by a Mr. Armstrong of Williamsport, Pennsylvania…. Up to 1816 grave doubts existed as to the practicability of navigating the Ohio by steamboats. A gentleman who in that year, with others, long watched the futile efforts of a stern wheeler to ascend the Horsetail ripple, five miles below Pittsburgh, afterwards wrote that the unanimous conclusion of the company was that 'such a contrivance might do for the Mississippi … but that we of Ohio must wait for some more happy century of invention.'"Magazine of western history, 1885.

THE STEAMBOAT FRANKLIN

"The elegant steam-boat Franklin, was launched from the shipyard at the Point, in this city, on Wednesday last."Mercury, April 20, 1816.

"The Steam Boat Franklin, burden 140 tons, was launched from the Point Ship Yard, on Wednesday morning last. The Franklin is owned by a company of gentlemen in this city, and is intended as a regular trader between here and New Orleans. The engine for this boat is constructed on Bolton and Watt's plan, improved by Mr. Arthurs of this place."Gazette, April 20, 1816.

Maysville, Dec. 24, 1816.

"The undersigned passengers in the Steam Boat Franklin, from Pittsburgh, feel it a just tribute due to the proprietors and captain, to express publicly their approbation of the very handsome manner in which they have been entertained. Her accommodations, speed and safety, as well as the polite attention of Captain Cromwell, are such as will always insure a decided preference.

The beautiful Steam Boat above named passed by this place on Tuesday last."Commonwealth, Jan. 6, 1817.

INTERESTING TO THE WESTERN PUBLIC

"On the 30th December, the steamboat Oliver Evans, departed from this city for New-Orleans, laden with about forty tons freight and forty passengers, and drew but thirty inches water, which is without doubt less than ever known…. Her length is one hundred and twenty feet and beam fourteen feet nine inches. She ascended the Allegheny when it was high and rapid, at the rate of five miles per hour, and passed over the ripple at Wainright's island, at such a rate as to cause people on the shore to walk, briskly, to keep pace with her, and there remains no doubt but that she is much the fastest vessel ever exhibited here."Mercury, Jan. 4, 1817.

THE STEAMBOAT HARRIET

"We had, on Tuesday last, the pleasure of a sail in the new steam boat Harriett ofPittsburgh, owned by Mr. Joshua Armitage. She is designed as a regular trader between this place and New-Orleans. She is supposed to carry forty to sixty tons. Her engine and machinery were built by Mr. J. Arthurs. They are simple in their construction, and proved very complete in their operation. She ascended the Allegheny, which was high and rapid, at about the rate of three miles an hour; and ascended the rapid ripple at Wainright's island, with perfect ease.—We feel happy in being able to announce this effort of individual enterprize. It is the harbinger of the general introduction of steam boat navigation on the western waters—and the day is not far distant whenindividualsas well ascompanieswill embark in such useful improvements."Mercury, Dec. 14, 1816.

THE STEAMBOAT DISPATCH

Stubenville, May 31, 1816.

"The steam boat Dispatch, Capt. Bruce, arrived at this place on Tuesday evening last about 6 o'clock, from Cincinnati, and departed next morning for Pittsburgh.—This is the same boat that the Kentucky papers made so much noise about as having been stopped and ordered off from New-Orleans without a cargo, by the agents of Fulton and Livingston. The Dispatch is a remarkable sailor, having beat the Aetna seven days in the run from Natchez to the Falls. She made her passage in 24 days, while the Aetna was 31 days.—The Dispatch has 24 passengers on board from Cincinnati, and has been 10 days on her passage from Cincinnati to Stubenville. Capt. Bruce reports that in his passage from Natchez to the Falls he counted over 2000 boats floating down the river, and this in the day time only; others might have passed him in the night which he did not observe."Mercury, May 11, 1816.

THE STEAMBOAT VESUVIUS

"We are sorry to state that the beautiful Steam Boat Vesuvius, launched about two years ago at this place, has been burned to the water's edge, at New-Orleans. The Vesuvius was freighted with a valuable cargo of dry goods and other commodities. The fire broke out about 12 o'clock the night previous to her intended departure. As she lay in the middle of the stream, no assistance could be afforded her, and all the property on board fell a prey to the flames."Commonwealth, Aug. 6, 1816.

THE TRANS-ATLANTIC STEAMER

"We are on the eve of one of the greatest experiments, which has been undertaken during the present age. A Steam boat is about to brave the Atlantic, and cross from N.Y. to Russia. The consequences of this enterprize who will predict? It may open a new era in the art of navigation. It may dispense with the lagging and variable agency of winds and waves. It may bring the two worlds nearer together—it may shorten the passage from 25 to 15 days. A first experiment is everything, who does not wish it success?"Gazette, Aug. 23, 1816.

"We have heard it doubted (says the Virginia Patriot) whether the steam-boat soon to leave New York for Russia, will have sails; or those who go in it will venture to trust themselves to the efficacy of steam alone. If without sails (though Columbus deserves more credit,) those who first cross the Atlantic in a steam-boat will be entitled to a great portion of applause. In a few years we expect such trips will be common….

Bold was the man, the first who dared to brave,In fragile bark, the wild, perfidious wave:

Bold was the man, the first who dared to brave,In fragile bark, the wild, perfidious wave:

Bold was the man, the first who dared to brave,

In fragile bark, the wild, perfidious wave:

and bold will they be who first make a passage to Europe in a steam boat. Jason crept along by the shore: Not so these adventurers: they will have

No port to cheer them on the restless wave."

Gazette, Sept. 3, 1816.

"Between 1764 and 1819 the only means of crossing these streams, at Pittsburg, was by way of ferries. The first of these, it is believed, was operated from the foot of Ferry street, Pittsburg to the opposite shore, and this was the origin of the name 'Ferry street'…. Early in the nineteenth century a ferry was established from the mouth of Liberty street, called 'Jones Ferry.' Foot passengers desiring to cross the river employed skiffs, while stock was taken over on flat-boats. Such boats were pushed by means of poles, at low stages of water, and by oars in high water periods."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

"The Subscriber respectfully informs his friends and the public in general, that he intends opening a new Ferry on the Monongahela River, where he now lives, a few steps East of the mouth of Wood-street, which will co-operate with Mr. Beltzhoover's new house on the opposite side of the river, kept by Mr. Robert Wilson. He has been careful to provide himself with good new crafts, and also good trusty ferrymen. He expects to be able to give general satisfaction to those who may please to favor him with their custom. As he is determined there shall be no detention at the ferry, those wishing to cross the river on the evening before the Market-day can be accommodated with storage for their marketing free of charge. He intends keeping a supply of the best Liquors. He flatters himself that his strict attention to business will insure him a sufficient supply of the public patronage.

Wm. Ralston,

Pittsburgh, March 20.

N.B. Those wishing to take their Ferrage by the year, can have an opportunity of engaging with him at any time.

W. R."

Commonwealth, March 20, 1816.

STEAM BOAT FERRY

"A meeting will be held at E. Carr's Tavern, in Water Street, on Wednesday evening, 3d April, at 7 o'clock, on organizing a Company to establish a Steam Ferry,—Those persons interested in preserving the present advantages of the western section of the City from being wrested out of their hands, by the injudicious site chosen by the Legislature for the Monongahela Bridge, are particularly requested to attend."Gazette, March 30, 1816.

"The first steps taken towards the erection of bridges at Pittsburgh were as early as 1810. A charter was granted by the Legislature on the 20th of March of that year for two bridges, one over the Monongahela and the other over the Allegheny; but circumstances interfered to prevent their erection for several years. The bridge charter was allowed to lapse, but a new one was granted by the Legislature February 17, 1816, which was signed by the governor May 31, 1816. A company organized under this charter July 8, 1816. The bridges were constructed and opened to the public for traffic, the Monongahela in 1818 and the Allegheny in 1820."Warner's History of Allegheny county.

At an election held on the 10th instant for officers for the Monongahela Bridge Company, the following persons were unanimously elected:

President—Wm. Wilkins.Managers.James Ross, Oliver Ormsby, David Pride, Christian Latshaw, George Anshutz, Thomas Baird, Wm. M'Candless, Philip Gilland, James S. Stevenson, Benj. Page, Jacob Beltzhoover, Fred'k Wendt.Treasurer—John ThawClerk—John Thaw

President—Wm. Wilkins.

Managers.

James Ross, Oliver Ormsby, David Pride, Christian Latshaw, George Anshutz, Thomas Baird, Wm. M'Candless, Philip Gilland, James S. Stevenson, Benj. Page, Jacob Beltzhoover, Fred'k Wendt.

Treasurer—John ThawClerk—John Thaw

Commonwealth, June 25, 1816.

THE PITTSBURGH GAZETTE

Printed by John Scull, corner of Market and Front Streets. The Gazette was published every Saturday morning at three dollars per annum. Later in the year the Gazette was published on Tuesdays and Fridays.

"On the 1st of August, 1816, John Scull, the veteran editor, relinquished the publication of the Pittsburg Gazette. He was succeeded by Morgan Neville in the editorship of that journal, and his son, John I. Scull, became associated with Mr. Neville."Wilson's History of Pittsburg.

"'The Pittsburgh Gazette' under the original proprietor, Mr. John Scull, was the first establishment of the kind, west of the mountains. On its first appearance, it was viewed as a meteor of the moment, whose existence would terminate with the second or third number; and the idea of deriving a subsistence from its publication, was classed among the chimeras of a too sanguine temper. Our country was then a 'howling wilderness,' and the Ohio, whose fair bosom is now covered with the 'white sails of commerce,' was then disturbed only by the yell of the savage, who lay ambushed on its bank, or glided over its surface, in his solitary canoe. But these obstacles, though disheartening, were not sufficient to destroy the enterprize of the Editor. He had turned his back on civilization and comforts of his native place; he had deliberately subjected himself to the inconveniences of emigration, and his was not the ardour to be damped at the outset…. He became a citizen of Pittsburgh, when it was little more than an Indian village; his interests grew with its growth; he saw it rise into a manufacturing town; he has heard it emphatically called the 'Birmingham of America;' and finally, he has the triumphant satisfaction, of beholding in his own days, the village of the desert, changed into the city of the west. He has succeeded even beyond his expectations; he has run his moderate, unostentatious course. The patronage he has received, was sufficient for his desires; his editorial life here ends; with feelings acutely sensible of the favors he has received, he now relinquishes to his son and successor the 'Pittsburgh Gazette,' unstained by corruption, and free from venality, but ever firm, he trusts, in supporting our palladium, the freedom of the Press."Gazette, Aug. 9, 1816.

THE COMMONWEALTH

Printed every Tuesday morning by C. Colerick for S. Douglas & Co. in Diamond Alley, between Market and Wood Streets.

THE PITTSBURGH MERCURY

"'The Pittsburgh Mercury,' is published every Saturday, at the new brick building, in Liberty-street, at the head of Wood-street, opposite the Octagon Church; where the subscribers, advertising customers, and other friends of the establishment, are respectfully invited to call."Mercury, Oct. 19, 1816.

"The kind of news material found in the columns of papers of those days is entirely different from the style of material found today. Local news is rarely ever given in the papers of an early day. As a rule the subscriber read but one paper and local news could be handed around by gossip from one neighbor to another, and what the subscriber demanded in his paper was foreign news that he could gain in no other way. The founding of new enterprises, marriages, or deaths of prominent citizens, etc. found no place in the pioneer newspaper. European news necessarily nearly two months old, long articles on the management of public affairs, controversies carried on from week to week between rival exponents on different theories, essays on morality and amateur poetry, fill up the columns of nearly all the early newspapers of Western Pennsylvania…. Their value to those who would learn of early local history is found chiefly in the advertisements and from these … one may gather some important information concerning Pittsburg's early days."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

First Presbyterian Church

"In [1785] a bill was introduced into the Legislative Assembly, at Philadelphia, to incorporate a 'Presbyterian Congregation in Pittsburgh, at this time under the care of the Rev. Samuel Barr,' which, after much delay, was finally passed on the twenty-ninth of September, 1787. The Penns gave the site for this church….

In the Spring of 1811 Reverend Francis Herron became the pastor of the First Church, which the year before had had a membership of sixty-five. Dr. Herron's salary was six hundred dollars per annum. For thirty-nine years he labored ceaselessly and wisely for the church and congregation. In 1817 the church was enlarged, and the membership steadily increased."Killikelly's History of Pittsburgh.

Second Presbyterian Church

"The Second Presbyterian Church was organized … in 1804, by those members of the First Church to whom the methods used, regarding the services in the First Church, were unsatisfactory. The next year Dr. Nathaniel Snowden took charge of the congregation which worshiped … in the Court House and other places, public and private. Dr. John Boggs came, but remained only a short time. He was replaced by the Rev. Mr. Hunt, in 1809. The first edifice, on Diamond alley, near Smithfield street, was built in 1814."Killikelly's History of Pittsburgh.

East Liberty Presbyterian Church

"Mr. Jacob Negley, whose wife had been a Miss Winebiddle, and consequently, inherited much real estate, controlled practically what is now known as East Liberty Valley, in the early days, called Negleystown. He was largely instrumental … in erecting a small frame school building at what subsequently became the corner of Penn and South Highland avenues. This was for the accommodation of the children of the district, as well as his own. It was … a long distance to the then established churches, and Mr. Negley very often, for the benefit of the neighborhood, invited some minister passing through, or one from one of the other churches, to preach in his own house and later in the school house. In 1819 the little school house was torn down to make way for a church building."Killikelly's History of Pittsburgh.

Reformed Presbyterian Church

"The First Reformed Presbyterian Church of Pittsburg, long afterwards known as the 'Oak Alley Church,' was organized in 1799. Rev. John Black, an Irishman of considerable intellectual force, who had been graduated from the University of Glasgow, was its first pastor…. He included, in his ministry, all societies of the same persuasion in Western Pennsylvania. He preached here until his death on October 25, 1849."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

Roman Catholic Church

"The number of Catholics prior to 1800, in what is now Allegheny county, must have been very small. They were visited occasionally by missionaries traveling westward…. [These] priests, ministering to a few scattered families, celebrating Mass in private houses, fill up the long interval between the chapel of the 'Assumption of the Blessed Virgin of the Beautiful River' in Fort Duquesne, and 'Old St. Patrick's Church,' which was begun in 1808.

Rev. Wm. F. X. O'Brien, the first pastor, was ordained in Baltimore, 1808, and came to Pittsburg in November of the same year, and at once devoted himself to the erection of … 'Old St. Patrick's.' It stood at the corner of Liberty and Washington streets, at the head of Eleventh street, in front of the new Union Station…. The structure was of brick, plain in design and modest in size, about fifty feet in length and thirty in width. Rt. Rev. Michael Egan dedicated the Church in August 1811, and the dedication was the occasion of the first visit of a Bishop to this part of the State."St. Paul's Cathedral record.

Protestant Episcopal Church

"The building of the first Trinity Church was begun about the time it was organized and chartered, 1805. It occupied a triangular lot at the corner of Sixth, Wood and Liberty streets. It was built in an oval form that it might more nearly conform to the shape of the three cornered lot and for this reason was generally known as the 'round church.' Rev. Taylor in his latter years became known as 'Father' Taylor. He remained with the church as its rector until 1817, when he resigned."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

First German United Evangelical Protestant Church

"When John Penn, jr., and John Penn presented land to the Presbyterian and Episcopal churches of Pittsburgh they, at the same time, deeded the same amount to the already organized German Evangelical congregation; the land given to them was bounded by Smithfield street, Sixth avenue, Miltenberger and Strawberry alleys. No church was built on this grant, however, until some time between 1791-94, and it was of logs. This was … replaced in 1833 by a large brick building, which had the distinction of a cupola, in which the first church bell in Pittsburgh was hung."Killikelly's History of Pittsburgh.

Methodist Episcopal Church

"In June, 1810, a lot was purchased for the first [Methodist] church built in the city. It was situated on Front street, now First street, nearly opposite … the present Monongahela House. The erection of a church was commenced at once, for on August 26th of that year Bishop Asbury preached on the foundation of it. His journal says: 'Preached on the foundation of the new chapel to about five hundred souls. I spoke again at 5 o'clock to about twice as many. The society here is lively and increasing in numbers.' The building was a plain brick structure, 30 × 40 feet. We do not know certainly when it was completed, but probably in the autumn of 1810.

In this church the society continued to worship in peace and prosperity for eight years. But near the close of this period it had become too small, and a new and larger one became a necessity. Consequently, in May, 1817, three lots were purchased on the corner of Smithfield and Seventh streets, and the erection of a larger church commenced. It was completed the following year."Warner's History of Allegheny county.

Baptist Church

"The first church of this denomination in Pittsburg was organized in April, 1812, when the city had about five thousand people. It was an independent organization and included about six families with perhaps not more than twelve people in all who had come from New England. The chief organizer and pastor was Rev. Edward Jones, also from New England. The society was too poor then to build a church, but worshiped in private houses and in rented halls."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

"Robert Steele, who afterward became a Presbyterian preacher, opened a school in Pittsburg in January, 1803, at his house on Second street…. His rates were four dollars per quarter. In 1803, a teacher named Carr opened a school for both boys and girls. The next year he advertised that his school was moved to larger quarters over Dubac's store, where he probably taught till 1808, when he opened a boarding school for boys. In 1818 he removed his school to Third street where Mrs. Carr 'instructed young ladies in a separate room in the usual branches, and in all kinds of needle work.' William Jones began a school in 1804, and charged but two dollars per quarter for tuition. In February, 1808, Samuel Kingston opened a school in a stone house on Second street…. A teacher named Graham opened a school on Second street, using the room formerly occupied by Mr. Kingston, in which he proposed to give his pupils an English and classical education on moderate terms. The advertisement stated that Mrs. Graham would at the same time open a school for 'young ladies' in an adjoining room, and that she would instruct them in all branches of an English education and in needle work. In 1811 Thomas Hunt opened a school 'for the instruction of females exclusively.' The hours he advertised were from 8 to 12 a.m., and from 2 to 5 p.m…. In the same year this advertisement appears: 'Messrs. Chute and Noyes' evening school commences the first of October next. They also propose on Sabbath morning, the 22 instant, to open a Sunday morning school to commence at the hour of eight a.m., and continue until ten. They propose to divide the males and females into separate departments. The design of the school is to instruct those who wish to attend, the Catechism and hear them read the Holy Scriptures. No pecuniary compensation is desired, a consciousness of doing good will be an ample reward.' In 1812 John Brevost opened a French school, and with his wife and daughter opened a boarding school in connection with it in 1814. Their terms were, 'for reading, writing, arithmetic, English grammar, history and geography, with the use of maps, globes, etc., $8.00 quarterly. Playing on the piano, $10.00 quarterly; vocal music, $5.00 quarterly. Drawing and painting of flowers, $6.00 quarterly. French language, $5.00 quarterly. Boarding $37.00, payable in advance. Dancing, books, materials, drawing, sewing, bed and bedding to be paid for separately or furnished by parents.' Mrs. Gazzam had opened a seminary for young ladies by this time, and advertised its removal to Fifth street. Her pupils were instructed in the elementary studies of an English education, and in needle work at four dollars per quarter. She taught them to cut, make and repair their clothes. The pupils were permitted to visit their homes once each week, but no young men were allowed to visit them unless attended by a servant. She boarded them for $125 per year. The two sisters, Miss Anna and Arabella Watts, instructed young ladies solely in needle work. In almost all schools needle work was a requisite part of the education of young women. In fact it was considered the all important part of a woman's training and not infrequently other branches were taught if required, or if thought necessary."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

CITY ACADEMY

"The subscriber, respectfully informs his fellow citizens, and others, that he has happily secured the co-operation of Mr. Edward Jones—hopes their most sanguine expectations, relative to his seminary, will be fully justified.

All the most important branches of education, taught as in the best academies, on either side the Atlantick.—Mathematics in general, as in the city ofEdinburgh.—During four years, the subscriber taught the only Mathematical school in the capital of New-Hampshire.

A class of young gentlemen will shortly commence the study of Navigation, Gunnery, Bookkeeping, Geography and English grammar. George Forrester."Mercury, May 18, 1816.

THE LANCASTER SCHOOL.

"Will continue at the room where it is now kept in Market street. In addition to the common branches of reading, orthography, etc., the teacher gives lessons in English grammar, geography and Book-keeping. Penmanship is taught on a most approved system at all hours.

To those who are acquainted with this mode of instructing children, its superior excellence need not be pointed out, and such as have never seen a school on this plan in actual operation, and are not intimately conversant with its theory, are invited (if they have the curiosity) to visit the institution in Market street; where, although the number of pupils is small, yet the school will afford a sufficient illustration of the Lancaster system to convince the most incredulous that 500 or even 1000 pupils by the aid of this wonderful invention, may be taught with prodigious facility by a single teacher."Commonwealth, April 3, 1816.

UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH

"The first charter to an institution of learning west of the mountains granted by the legislature of Pennsylvania, February 28, 1787, created the Pittsburg Academy. The school was in existence earlier than this….

The principals of the academy from the very beginning were men of high attainments, some of them attaining great distinction. George Welch, the first principal, took office April 13, 1789. Rev. Robert Steele, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Rev. John Taylor, Mr. Hopkins and James Mountain successively were at the head of the academy. From 1807 to 1810, Rev. Robert Patterson, of excellent fame, successfully carried on the work. He was succeeded in the latter year by Rev. Joseph Stockton, author of the 'Western Calculator' and 'Western Spelling Book,' who continued in office until the re-incorporation of the academy as the Western University of Pennsylvania, in 1819."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

"It was not … until the fall of 1813, that the question of a community Library took definite shape, when in response to the efforts 'of many leading and progressive citizens,' there was organized 'The Pittsburgh Library Company.' On the evening of November 27, 1813, about 40 representative people assembled in the spacious 'bar room' of the 'Green Tree Inn,' at the northwest corner of Fifth and Wood streets, where the First National Bank now stands, and took the initiative in the formation of Pittsburgh's first real public library…. Its first president was the Rev. Francis Herron, for 40 years pastor of the First Presbyterian Church. The secretary was Aquila M. Bolton, 'land broker and conveyancer.' The treasurer was Col. John Spear…. Quite a sum of money was subscribed by citizens generally for the purchase of books, while many valuable volumes were either contributed or loaned by members. Messrs. Baldwin, O'Hara, Wilkins and Forward being especially mentioned for their generosity in this connection. The first head-quarters of the library were in rooms 'on Second street, opposite Squire Robert Graham's office,' who at that time dispensed even handed justice at the northeast corner of Market and Second streets. Here the library remained until the county commissioners set aside a commodious room in the Court House for its use."A. L. Hardy, in Gazette-Times, 1913.

"The triennial meeting of the shareholders [of the Pittsburgh Library Company] was convened at their new library room, in Second street, opposite Squire Graham's office, at six o'clock, Monday evening, December thirtieth, 1816. The following gentlemen were then elected by ballot to serve as a Board of Directors for the ensuing three years, viz: George Poe, president; Aquila M. Bolton, secretary; Lewis Bollman, treasurer; James Lea, Benjamin Bakewell, Robert Patterson, Walter Forward, Alexander Johnson, jr., William Eichbaum, jr., Benjamin Page, Alexander McClurg, J. P. Skelton, Ephraim Pentland, Charles Avery, J. R. Lambdin, directors."Killikelly's History of Pittsburgh.

"It has been published, that the Library of this city contains two thousand volumes. Through the politeness of J. Armstrong, the librarian, I gained admittance, and having examined the catalogue, am enabled to state that the whole collection is only about five hundred volumes. The books, however, are well chosen, and of the best editions. How the error originated is of no consequence except to him who made it."Thomas's Travels through the western country in 1816.

"There were in 1808 two dramatic societies in Pittsburg that were important enough to receive notice in the newspapers. The one was composed of law students and young lawyers and the other was composed of mechanics. The object of these societies was to study the poets and dramatic literature and to give public performances in the court house. William Wilkins … was a member and took a leading part in the entertainments given by these societies. There was no way for theatrical companies from the East to reach Pittsburg prior to 1817, save by the state road, which was scarcely passable for a train of pack horses, yet they came even as early as 1808 and performed in a small room, which was secured for them when the court room was occupied. In 1812 a third dramatic society called the Thespian Society was organized among the young men and young women of Pittsburg.

The society numbered among its members the brightest and best bred young people of the city, most of whom took part in each performance. They were given in a room on Wood street, in a building known as Masonic Hall."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

"The Theatre of this City has been now opened nearly a fortnight, and the managers although they have used every exertion to please, in the selection of their pieces, have not been enabled to pay the contingent expenses of the House. This is a severe satire on the taste of the place.

Tomorrow [Wednesday] evening we understand that the 'Stranger' is to be produced—we hope under auspices more favorable to the managers than heretofore. The part of the Stranger is to be performed by a Young Gentleman of the City, who has never before graced the Boards.—If report speaks correctly of his talents, he bids fair to excel any person who has yet appeared upon the stage on this side the Mountains. It is hoped that this novelty, together with the correct and manly acting of Mr. Savage, a stranger here, and the chastened elegance which Mrs. Savage is said to exhibit, will attract to the Theatre, for this one evening at least, the friends to this rational amusement."Commonwealth, Nov. 12, 1816.

On Friday evening, June 7, will be presented, Shakespear's celebrated comedy, in 3 acts called

Catharine & Petruchioafter which, a much admired comic opera calledThe Highland Reel.For particulars, see bills.

And, that every person should have the opportunity of seeing the most splendid spectacle ever exhibited in Pittsburgh, on Saturday evening, June 8, will be presented, the grand romantic drama, called

Timour the Tartar;or, thePrincess of Mingrelia.

Which will positively be the last time, of its being performed, as the scenery will be appropriated to other purposes.

With other Entertainments.

For particulars, see box bills.

"A few days after the performance of Hamlet, Mr. Entwistle, the manager, had for his benefit, that irresistibly amusing burlesque, 'Hamlet Travestie.' His line of acting is a broad-farce caricature of that of Liston. He personated the modern Danish prince. The audience were solemn, serious, and dull. The affecting entrance of the deranged Ophelia, who, instead of rosemary, rue, &c. had an ample supply of turnips and carrots, did not move a muscle of theirintelligent faces—the ladies, indeed, excepted, who evinced by the frequent use of their pocket handkerchiefs, that their sympathies were engaged on the side of the love-sick maiden. Some who had seen the original Hamlet for the first time a few evenings before, gave vent to their criticisms when the curtain fell. They thought Mr. Entwistle did not look sufficiently grave; and that, as it was his benefit, he acted very dishonourably in shaving (cheating) them out of two acts; for that they guessed when Mr. Hutton playedthat'ereking's mad son, he gave them five acts for theirdallar. Mr. —— assured me that on the following morning, a respectable lawyer of Pittsburgh met him, and said, 'I was at the play last night, Sir, and do not think that Mr. Entwistle acted Hamlet quite so well as Mr. Hutton.'"Fearon's Sketches of America, 1818.

Thespian Society

The Public are respectfully informed that on this evening, Jan. 14th, will be presented the much admired Drama, called

theMan of Fortitude.

The proceeds to be appropriated to the benefit of the Sunday Male Charitable School.

Recitation, Alonzo the brave or the fair Imogen.

Song, I have loved thee, dearly loved thee.—Mrs. Menier.

——, America, Commerce and Freedom.

After which the much admired Farce, called,The Review,Or, theWag of Windsor.

Doors to be opened at half past 5 o'clock, and the curtain to rise at half past six. Box, one dollar; Pit,Fifty cents.

"A citizen of Pittsburgh, and a lover of the useful and rational amusement of the Theatre, begs leave to observe to his fellow citizens, that on Monday evening next Mr. Alexander will stand forward for public recompense, for his exertions in his profession…. It must be readily acknowledged that no young gentleman of more transcendent talent ever graced the dramatic floor of Pittsburgh; it is, therefore, but just that he who has so often madeussmile, should fromusreceive a something to makehimsmile in turn."Commonwealth, Nov. 4, 1815.

"The Theatre in this city is now opened by the Thespian Society, for the double purpose of gratifying the public taste by a moral and rational amusement and adding to the funds of the Male Charitable Sunday School. TheMan of Fortitudeand the Farce of theReviewhave been selected for representation this evening. Since society has been released from the chains of superstition, the propriety of Theatrick amusements has not been doubted by any man of liberal feelings and enlightened understanding…. The stage conveys a moral in colours more vivid than the awful and elevated station of the preacher permits him to use—it is his coadjutor in good, and goes with him hand in hand exposing vice to ridicule and honouring virtue."Gazette, Jan. 14, 1817.

"The Moral Society of Pittsburgh announce to the public their formation. The object of their association is the suppression of vice and immorality, as far as their influence shall extend, and they shall be authorized by the laws of the commonwealth, and the ordinances of this city….

We hereby give this public information of our intention to aid the civil officers in the execution of the laws of this commonwealth, and the ordinances of the city, against all vice and crime cognizable by said laws and ordinances. Such as profane swearing, gambling, horse racing, irregular tippling houses and drunkenness, profanation of the Lord's day by unnecessary work of any kind, such as driving of waggons, carts, carriages of pleasure and amusement, or other conveyances not included under the exception of the laws of the commonwealth in case of necessity and mercy."Commonwealth, Nov. 26, 1816.

"A numerous and respectable concourse of citizens met at Hog Island, nearly opposite the village of Middletown, on the Ohio river, to celebrate the birth day of American independence. Colonel James Martin, was nominated president, and Captain Robert Vance, vice-president.—The utmost harmony and unanimity prevailed; and it was a pleasing sight to see citizens of opposite political sentiments, bury their former animosity, and with great cordiality join in celebrating the American anniversary. After performing the manual exercise, the company partook of an elegant dinner, prepared for the occasion, and the cloth being removed … patriotic toasts were drank with great hilarity, accompanied by the discharge of musketry, and appropriate music….

The citizens retired at a late hour in the utmost harmony."Mercury, July 20, 1816.

"When the borough was incorporated into a city [March 1816], the act incorporating it authorized the authorities to establish a police force, but there was none established for some years afterwards. The act limited the city taxation to five mills on a dollar, and the corporation could scarcely have paid a police force, even if one had been required. The city authorities did, however, pass an ordinance on August 24, 1816, establishing a night watchman, but soon found they had no money with which to pay him. They accordingly repealed the ordinance and for some years the city slept in darkness without the benefit of police protection."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

"In 1811 the second epoch in the company's history may be said to have started, the younger element having gradually crept in and assumed control of affairs, and the older men had to some extent lost interest and perhaps gained rheumatism in the fire service. The company was now re-organized on a more active and vigorous basis. The first engineer to take charge under the new regime was William Eichbaum, who continued to act in that capacity until 1832, when he was elected First Chief Engineer of the Fire Department on its organization….

In the company organization the most important duty devolved upon the Bucket Committee. Every citizen was required to keep two or three heavy leather buckets with his name painted on them, and in case of fire these were all brought on the ground. Two lines of men and women were formed to the water supply, to pass the full buckets to and the empty ones from the engine…. When the fire was extinguished all the buckets were left on the ground till next day. Then, as many of the inscriptions were obliterated, there was some stealing of buckets and consequent fights. Certain folks … picked out the best buckets, just as in modern times some people get the best hats, or umbrellas, at the conclusion of a party. The Bucket Committee, to put a stop to this, decided to deliver all buckets to their respective owners."Dawson's Our firemen.

"The water supply was gained, up to 1802, from wells and springs which flowed from out the hillsides, these being sufficient for a small town. An ordinance passed August 9, of that year, called for the making of four wells, not less than forty-seven feet in depth. Three of these were to be located on Market street, and were to be walled with stone…. Wells, with the springs at Grant's Hill, furnished the supply of water for public use until 1826."Boucher's Century and a half of Pittsburg.

"As early as the year 1815, there were only three banks in Pittsburgh; viz., the Bank of Pennsylvania, located on the north side of Second Avenue, between Chancery Lane and Ferry Street; Bank of Pittsburg, south-west corner of Market and Third Streets; Farmers and Mechanics' Bank, north side of Third, between Wood and Market Streets,—the aggregate capital amounting to less than two million dollars, which was considered abundantly adequate to the business of that period."Parke's Recollections of seventy years.

The Bank of Pittsburgh is situated on the s.w. corner of Market and Third streets.

President,William Wilkins,

CashierAlexander Johnston, Jun.

Open daily from 9 o'clock a.m. till 3 p.m., except Sunday, Fourth of July, Christmas and Fast days. Discount day, Wednesday. Capital $600,000. Shares $50 each. Dividends, first Mondays in May and November.Pittsburgh directory, 1815.

The Office of Discount and Deposit of the Bank of Pennsylvania is situated on the north side of Second between Market and Ferry streets.

President,James O'Hara.

Pittsburgh directory, 1815.

THE FARMERS' AND MECHANICS' BANK OF PITTSBURGH.

CashierGeorge Poe, Jun.

Open daily from 9 o'clock a.m. till 3 p.m., except Sunday, Fourth of July, Christmas and Fast days. Discount day, Thursday.

Is situated on the north side of Third, between Market and Wood streets.

President,John Scull

Pittsburgh directory, 1815.

POST-OFFICE ESTABLISHMENT.

Arrival and Departureof theMAILS,At the Post-Office—Pittsburgh

The Eastern Mail arrives on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings, and closes on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, at 8 o'clock A.M.

The Western Mail arrives on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and closes on Sunday at sunset, and Wednesday and Friday at 1 o'clock P.M.

The Beaver Mail arrives on Monday evening, and closes the same day at sun-set.

The Erie Mail arrives on Monday evening and closes the same day at sun-set.

The Steubenville Mail arrives on Sunday and Wednesday evenings, and closes same days at sun-set.

The Huntingdon Mail, via Ebensburgh and Indiana, arrives on Tuesday, and closes same day at half past twelve P.M….

As there are several places of the same name in the United States, it is necessary that the directions should be particular, the states should be distinguished, and, where it might otherwise be doubtful, the counties….

Those who send letters may either pay the postage in advance, or leave it to be paid by their correspondents.

Pittsburgh directory, 1815.

"Birminghamis a small village across the Monongahela, about one mile south of Pittsburgh. It has works for green glass, furnaces for casting hollow ware, &c. from pigs, and a saw mill, which is moved by a steam engine. The coal for all these, is used fresh from the mine, without mixture, coaking or desulphuration.

Many of the balls for Perry's fleet, were cast in this foundery. But instead of forming such ministers of havoc, the metal is now moulded for softer hands, andflatorsmoothingirons are produced in abundance. These are ground on a stone which revolves by a band from the steam engine."Thomas's Travels through the western country in 1816.

"At a respectable meeting of the inhabitants of Birmingham and its vicinity, convened at the school-house, on Friday evening the 28th of March, 1816, in order to take into consideration the expediency of erecting a Market-House, in said town; Nathaniel Bedford, was called to the Chair, and George Patterson, appointed secretary.

The chairman having stated the object of the meeting, the following resolutions were proposed and unanimously adopted, viz.—

Resolved, That a Market-House be built on the plan exhibited by Mr. Benjamin Yoe.

Resolved, That the site of the structure be the centre of the square.

Thus, another thriving and Manufacturing Town, is added to the many which have been established in the western section of Pennsylvania; and social order, with its concomitants, the arts and sciences, illuminate those wild and dreary shades, where lately none but the prowling wolf, or the restless and cruel savage held their haunts."Mercury, April 20, 1816.

"At the beginning of the century the site of Allegheny City was a wilderness. In 1812 a few settlers had made inroads upon the forest, and had builded their cabins. Notice is called to the fact in the minutes of the Presbytery of Erie, in April of that year, in the following words: 'An indigent and needy neighborhood, situated on the Allegheny, opposite Pittsburgh, having applied for supplies,' the matter was laid before the Presbytery.

Joseph Stockton seems to have been the first stated minister, preaching a part of his time there until 1819."Centenary memorial of Presbyterianism in western Pennsylvania.

"The facility for getting to and from Pittsburg [from Allegheny] was quite a different matter from what it is to-day. The only highway (if it may be called such) leading west from Federal Street to the Bottoms at that early day, was the erratic Bank Lane, which owing to the natural unevenness of the ground upon which it was located, and total neglect of the authorities of Ross township to put it in a condition for travel, … was for many years only accessible for foot-passengers."Parke's Recollections of seventy years.

Lawrenceville was laid out in 1815 by Wm. B. Foster, and had begun with the building of the United States arsenal.

"The Supreme Court holds a term in Pittsburgh, on the 1st Monday in September annually, to continue two weeks if necessary, for the Western District, composed of the counties of Somerset, Westmoreland, Fayette, Greene, Washington, Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Mercer, Crawford, Erie, Warren, Venango, Armstrong, Cambria, Indiana and Jefferson."Pittsburgh directory, 1815.

"Mr. Lacock submitted an important resolution for instructing the committee on the Judiciary to enquire into the expediency of dividing the state of Pennsylvania intotwo Judicial Districts, and establishing adistrict courtof the U. States at the city of Pittsburgh, which was agreed to."Commonwealth, Jan. 6, 1817.

"Henry Baldwin is elected to congress for the district composed of the counties of Allegheny and Butler, by a majority of about 800 votes.

John Gilmore, William Woods, Samuel Douglass and Andrew Christy are elected to the assembly.

Lazarus Stewart is elected Sheriff of Allegheny county, by a majority of 181 votes.

Joseph Davis is elected commissioner by a majority of 249 votes, and Charles Johnson, Auditor by a majority of 28 votes."Gazette, Oct. 15, 1816.

"The bill for erecting the two Bridges at Pittsburgh has passed both houses. The sites are fixed at St. Clair-street for the Allegheny and Smithfield-street for the Monongahela. The state subscribes $40,000 of stock for each bridge.

A bill is about being reported for establishing a horse and cattle market in the vicinity of Pittsburgh.

The bill for erecting Pittsburgh into a city has passed the senate and is before the house, where it is expected to pass through without opposition.

The bill for erecting a new county out of parts of Allegheny, Westmoreland, Washington, and Fayette, is reported. This bill will throw off the greater part of Elizabeth township from Allegheny county. There have been no remonstrances against it received from this county; but we understand that some have been received from the other counties concerned.

The bill for erecting a Poorhouse for Allegheny county, it is expected will pass."Mercury, Feb. 24, 1816.

"We regret to say that neither from our correspondent at Harrisburg nor from the papers printed there, have we been enabled to procure an account of the legislative proceedings. We take two papers published at the seat of government, but from some unaccountable reason they do not contain the intelligence our readers require. We are reduced to the necessity of picking up here and there from letters to editors—from information derived from travellers—or from some other like inconclusive sources of information, that intelligence with which Journals published at the seat of government should supply us. They ought to be the fountains of information to the mass of the community: Instead of dabbling in politics and abusing or eulogizing party leaders, they should deal in facts. The National Intelligencer we look upon as the best model with which we are acquainted of a national journal."Commonwealth, Dec. 24, 1816.

"Nearly all of the first residents of Pittsburg and vicinity who were wealthy enough to afford the luxury were owners of slaves. The Nevilles, John Gibson, James O'Hara, Alexander Fowler, Adamson Tannehill, the Kirkpatricks and many others owned them, and several continued to do so as late as the war of 1812. The old newspapers contained advertisements for runaway slaves even as late as 1820."Wilson's History of Pittsburg.

"The year 1780 is memorable in the annals of Pennsylvania for the passage of the act for the gradual abolition of slavery in this State…. It provided for the registration of every negro or mulatto slave or servant for life, or till the age of thirty-one years, before the first of November following, and also provided, 'that no man or woman of any nation or color, except the negroes or mulattoes who shall be registered as aforesaid, shall at any time hereafter be deemed, adjudged, or holden within the territory of this Commonwealth, as slaves or servants for life, but as free men and free women.'"Egle's History of Pennsylvania.

SHOT, POWDER, &c.

The Subscriber Has Just Received a quantity of first quality

Patent Shot, No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6.Good Rifle Gun PowderBy the kegCountry Segars, Scotch and Rappe SnuffDomestic Cloth, and Cotton Shawls.— On Hand —

A General assortment of Merchandize, suited to the present and approaching season.

— Also —Prime Pickling VinegarVery strong and fit for immediate use

All of which will be sold Wholesale or Retail at the lowest market prices, for Cash or approved Trade.

Isaac Harris,Diamond, Pittsburgh.

Will be received in Exchange Butter, Beeswax, Deer Skins, Clover and Flaxseed, Flax and Tow Linen, Bags, Flax, Rags, and country produce generally.

CANDLE MANUFACTORY

The subscriber, respectfully informs his friends and the public, that he has erected a dip and candle manufactory in the Diamond, Pittsburgh; where he will keep constantly on hand and offers, Wholesale and Retail, dipt and mould candles of the best quality and on the most reasonable terms.

Thomas Colman.

N.B. Economical Lanthern Candles, at 12 cents per bunch.

D. & J. CHUTE

Have on hand, a handsome assortment of Shoes, adapted to the season; a few pairs Boots, suitable for laborers; also, Currant Wine, by the barrel or smaller quantity. The above are offered for sale low for cash or negotiable paper.

N.B. When servants call for shoes, it is necessary that an order be sent.

PITTSBURGH PIPE MANUFACTORY,

ROUND HOUSE.

WILLIAM PRICE

Informs the merchants of the Western country that they may be supplied with any quantity of long or short

Smoking Pipes

as handsome and good as those imported—and hopes the merchants of this place will give the preference to the Manufactures of our own country.

OYSTERS

Gentlemen can be genteely accommodated at the City Hotel, with Oysters.

Edward Carr.

STOP THE THIEF!

Taken from the subscriber on the 19th of November last, a Black Great Coat, with a large Cape, the Cape buttoned on the collar, on the front of the Cape is black glass buttons, and on the front and hips of the coat is cloth buttons, taken by James Dunlap from his boarding house. This Dunlap is a large man with a red face, and on the fingers of his right hand two of the knuckles are out of joint.

Said Dunlap is by occupation a sort of a saddler, but if you wish to see him you may go to the grog shop or brandy house, for there is his place of abode in general. Any person that will take up and return said Dunlap and Coat, shall receive the reward of Five Dollars.

Benjamin Crandall.

THE BANKS

WEST OF THE MOUNTAINS,

Are most respectfully informed, that the Bank Bill Engraving and Printing Office at Pittsburgh, shall in the future be kept constantly open in such a style of elegance and punctuality as to merit the honor of their patronage.

The Bank Paper manufactured for the office, by Messrs. Drum & Markle of Greensburgh, is allowed by competent judges to be equal to any in the United States.

Charles P. Harrison.

PRACTISING BALL.

Mr. Boudet's first Practising Ball will be on Saturday Evening the 26th instant, at his School Room.

N.B. No gentlemen can be admitted without being introduced by a lady with whom Mr. B. is acquainted; nor can any gentleman be permitted to dance in boots. Admission tickets for gentlemen to be had at any time of Mr. B. Price One Dollar, pupils half price.

GERMAN REDEMPTIONERS.

Just arrived from Amsterdam, Tradesmen and Farmers, single and married, who are willing to bind themselves for the payment of their passage money, amounting to about ninety dollars, for a term of three years, and their children being upwards of four years old until they are of age on paying half passage money. The steady habits of these people and their general character for honesty and industry it is supposed would render them particularly desirable in a country, where the procuring of assistance is difficult and uncertain. For further particulars apply to

Bosler & Co.or toGlazer & Smithof Philadelphia.

READER ASK YOURSELF THE

FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.

Do I, or do I not, owe the Printer? Shall I pay him his small pittance?—Shall he stop his business for want of what I honestly owe him? All just men will answer No! Then gentlemen, if such is your answer, it certainly is a pleasing one to the Printer, who will, at all times, be happy to attend the calls of those who have it in their power to pay our just demand—for without money we must discontinue our useful business.

H. D. & Co.

BALL

Mr. Boudet, respectfully informs the Ladies and Gentlemen of Pittsburgh and its vicinity, that he will give a Ball this evening, (Friday the 24th inst.) at the court-house, at half past seven o'clock, and will be conducted as they are in our populous cities viz—the ladies to be invited, and gentlemen to pay one dollar on their admission—understood, that such gentlemen as are strangers to the professor, must come introduced by some person with whom he is acquainted, without which they cannot be admitted.

N.B. No gentlemen allowed to dance in boots. Tickets to be had at the door—price one dollar.

CHARLES S. FIMETON

Carpenter—Late of Chambersburgh, Respectfully informs his friends and the public in general, that he has commenced the Carpenter Business, in Front-street, in the same house occupied by William Sands, barber and hair dresser; where all orders in his line will be thankfully received and promptly attended to.

LITERARY NOTICES.

John Binns of Philadelphia proposes to publish a splendid edition of the Declaration of Independence, which shall be in all respects American: Thepaper, thetypes, theink, thedesigns, theengravings,—the publication throughout shall afford evidence of what our citizens have done in politics, and can do in art.

TO BUILDERS.

The public are respectfully informed that they can be accommodated with any quantity of Iron Cannon Borings. In cities where these Borings can be procured, they are much used as cement for any kind of mason work, exposed to the weather, or the action of water, such as chimney tops, parapat or fire walls, piers of bridges, etc.

M'Clurgs & M'Knight.

OYSTERS

JOHN BYRNE

At his Umbrella Manufactory, Fourth, Between Market and Ferry Streets.

Just received and for sale at his Oyster House, a few Kegs most excellent Spiced Oysters.

He continues to make and repair Umbrellas and Parasols in the newest manner, the smallest favour will be gratefully attended to.

GRAND NATIONAL LOTTERY

SECOND CLASS

Authorised by Act of Congress, for opening a Canal in the City of Washington.

Begins drawing on the 30th September next.

Six Dollars the lowest Prize.

Tickets for Sale

At the Store of William Hill for cash only, who will receive the drawings regularly.

NOTICE

My wife Fanny having thought proper to withdraw herself from my protection, without the least cause given on my part for her doing so, I am compelled, though very reluctantly, to forbid all persons from trusting her on my account, as I will pay no debts which she may contract hereafter.

J. Tibbette.

N.B. I also inform those who wish to be shaved in Imperial Style, that I am always to be found at my Shop in Market Street, between Front and Water Streets.

MECHANICS RETREAT,

At the Green Cottage, facing Mr. Jelly's Factory, Turnpike Road,

Is Opened,

Where an assortment of Liquors of the very best quality are kept. Turtle and other Soups every Wednesday and Sunday.—Share of public patronage is solicited.

WANTED

At the United States' Arsenal, now erecting near Pittsburgh.

Forty good Stone Masons, and Twenty Labourers,

to whom constant employment and good wages will be given for one or two seasons.

Apply to the subscriber on the ground.

Christopher Armstrong.

WHOLESALE AND RETAIL TIN MANUFACTURY.

THOMAS W. EAGLES,

Wood street, between Water and Front Sts.,

Has just imported an elegant assortment of the best English planished Tin Ware,

consisting of

The above are the first assortment that has been offered for sale west of the mountains, and will be sold at the importers prices.

Also, on hand an elegant assortment ofLooking Glasses,

on better terms than at any other house in this city.

A small invoice of first rate Sadlery.

An assortment of Patent Iron Ware tinned inside.

BANK OF PITTSBURGH,

2d JANUARY, 1817

The Directors of this institution being desirous to procure an eligible situation on which to erect a Banking House, hereby give notice to persons holding such that they will receive at the Bank sealed proposals for the sale of the same until the first day of February next.


Back to IndexNext