Rembrandt's AmsterdamReprinted, by permission of Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, from“The Print-Collector's Quarterly”Frits LugtMuseum of Fine Arts, Boston1915ContentsMap KeyREMBRANDT'S AMSTERDAMFootnotesIllustrationsPLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650Plate 1. View of Amsterdam from the East.(reversed). After the etching by RembrandtPlate 2. The Old Town Hall in Amsterdam. After an engraving by Cl. Jz. Visscher.Plate 3. The Ruins of the Old Town Hall in Amsterdam, after the Fire in 1652. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in the Rembrandt House in Amsterdam.Plate 4. The New Town-Hall in Amsterdam, about 1660. The square building on the right is the public Weighing-House, where Rembrandt sketched the ruins of the old town-hall (see preceding illustration). After an etching by J. van der Ulft, 1656.Plate 5. The Bridge Called “Grimnessesluis” in Amsterdam. After the drawing by Rembrandt in the Louvre, Paris. Reproduced, by permission, from a copyright photograph by Messrs. Braun and Co., Dornach.Plate 6. View of the Ramparts of Amsterdam, with the St. Anthony-Gate in the Distance. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection.Plate 7. Mills on the West Side of Amsterdam, Looking Toward the Town. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in a private collection in Kopenhagen.Plate 8. View of the Same Side of Town as in Plate 7, but Looking Outward. The tower on the left is the same as sketched by Rembrandt (plate 13). After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 9. The Tower Called “Montelraanstoren” In Amsterdam After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in the Rembrandt House, AmsterdamPlate 10. The Same Tower as in the Preceding Illustration, with its Steeple and Surroundings. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 11. The Canal called “Singel” in Amsterdam. On the left-hand side Rembrandt's son, Titus, lived during his short married life. In the distance, the “Janroopoortstoren”. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 12. The Tower called “Swyght-Utrecht”, and the “Doelen” in Amsterdam (seeplate 20). After the drawing by Rembrandt in the collection of Dr. C. Hofsteded de Groot, The Hague.Plate 13. The Tower Called “Westertoren” In Amsterdam. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the Fodor Museum, AmsterdamPlate 14. The Canal called “Prinsengracht” in Amsterdam. The tower seen on the left is the same as seen in the preceding illustration. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 15. The St. Anthony-Market in Amsterdam, with the Old Gate Transformed into a Weighing-House. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 16. Rembrandt's House In The “St. Anthonie-breestraat” In Amsterdam On the left: As it must have looked when Rembrandt occupied it. On the right: Present state.Plate 17. The Bridge and Sluice called “St. Anthonie-sluis” in Amsterdam, seen from the North. Rembrandt's home (plate 16) stood in the immediate vicinity of this spot. After the drawing by A. Waterloo, in the Fodor Museum, Amsterdam.Plate 18. The “doelenstraat” In Amsterdam (old situation) The receding building, behind the low wall with gate, on the right, is the “Doelen” for which Rembrandt painted “The Night Watch.” The house where the master lived in 1636 was next to the house seen on the extreme right. The tower seen above the roof is the one sketched by Rembrandt (plate 12). Compare alsoplate 20After the drawing by R. Vinkeles in the Archives in AmsterdamPlate 19. The Back of the Houses in the “Doelenstraat” in Amsterdam. The narrow house in the middle, two windows wide, is, although rebuilt, the one where Rembrandt lived in 1636. To the left, part of Messrs. Frederk Muller & Co.'s aution and exhibition rooms.Plate 20. The Tower “Swyght-Utrecht” and the Backs of the Houses of the “Doelenstraat” in Amsterdam. The third house from the tower must be the one occupied by Rembrandt in 1636. After an engraving by van Meurs of about 1660.Plate 21. The Old Exchange in Amsterdam. After an engraving by Cl. Jz. Visscher.Plate 22. The Inn Called “de Keizers Kroon” In The Kalverstraat, Amsterdam. Here Rembrandt's collections were sold by auction, after his bankruptcy, in 1657 and 1058. After an anonymous drawing in the Archives in Amsterdam.Plate 23. The House Of Mr. F. Banning Cocq (the Captain And Prominent Person In Rembrandt's “Night-watch”) In Amsterdam After an anonymous drawing in the family archives of Jhr. D. de Graeff at The HaguePlate 24. The Star of the Kings. Children before a street door on Epiphany-evening. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the British Museum, London. Salting Bequest.Plate 25. Children Refore A Street Door: The One In The Middle With A “Rommelpot”. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the British Museum, LondonPlate 26. A Quacksalver on a Market-Place. After the drawing by Rembrandt. In the collection of Frederich August II, in Dresden.Plate 27. Portrait Of Jan Lutma. From an impression, in the First State, of Rembrandt's etching, in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.Plan of the City of Amsterdam about 1650PLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650Map KeyLine indicating the extension of the town, started during the last ten years of Rembrandt's life.1. House of the painterPieter Lastman, the master of Rembrandt, in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat.”In the same street was the house of the dealerHendrick Uylenburgh, with whom Rembrandt stayed during the first years after his settlement in Amsterdam.2. House in the“Doelenstraat”whereRembrandtlived in 1636 (see plates18,19,20).3. Part of the Amstel whereRembrandtseems to have lived towarda 1639.4. House in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat”(now called“Joden-breestraat,”No. 4) occupied and owned byRembrandtfrom 1639 until 1658 (seeplate 16). On the canal behind was the Synagogue of his friendMenasseh-ben-Israel. The bridge and sluice seen onplate 17is the one between this red number and number 1.5. House on the“Rosengracht”(now No. 184) whereRembrandtlived during the last ten years of his life.6. The“Bloemgracht”where Rembrandt is said to have used a store-house as a studio, principally for his pupils, during his first years in Amsterdam.7. The place where Rembrandt's sonTituslived, on the“Singel,”opposite the apple-market, in 1668, during his short married life (seeplate 11).8. House on the“Keizersgracht”(now No. 208) ofDr. Nicolaes Tulp, the principal person in Rembrandt's paintingThe Anatomical Lesson.Next to him livedDr. Aernout Tholinx, whose portrait was etched and painted by Rembrandt.9. House on the“Singel”(now Nos. 140-142) ofMr. F. Banning Cocq, the Captain in Rembrandt's masterwork,The Night-watch(seeplate 23).10. House on the“Kloveniersburgwal”(now No. 47) in which apparently livedMr. Jan Six, a well-known and influential person in Rembrandt's life, whose painted and etched portraits count among Rembrandt's finest productions.11. House in the“Kalverstraat”(now No. 10) of the print-dealer and publisherClement de Jonghewhose portrait Rembrandt etched.12. The old St. Anthony-gate, in Rembrandt's days Public Weighing-House, and, on the first floor, the seat of the Surgeon's Guild, of whichDr. TulpandDr. Deymanwere the foremen.13. The“Doelen,”meeting-place of the Civic Guard, for which Rembrandt'sNightwatchwas painted. At its side the tower, Swyght-Utrecht (seeplates 18,19,20).14. TheStaalhof, the office for which Rembrandt executed his celebrated picture known asThe Syndics.15. The inn calledDe Keizers Kroonin the Kalverstraat (now No. 71) where Rembrandt's collections were sold at auction, after his bankruptcy, in 1657 and 1658 (seeplate 22).16. TheDam, with the town-hall on the right and the Public Weighing-House in the middle (see plates2,3,4).17. The bridge calledGrimnessesluis(seeplate 5).18. The St. Anthony-gate (seeplate 6) at the end of the street where Rembrandt lived.19. The spot where Rembrandt has apparently sketched the mills and the views of the town (seeplate 7).20. The tower calledMontelbaanstoren(see plates9and10) and the bridge from which Rembrandt sketched it.21. The bridge called“Leliebrug,”from which Rembrandt sketched the tower of the church calledWesterkerk. This church, on the map, is between the bridge and the house numbered 8. (Seeplate 13.) In this church Rembrandt was buried.22. About this spot Rembrandt must have found the subject for his etchingView of Amsterdam(see Frontispiece,plate 1). When this etching was executed, the tongue of land, near there, with the two bastions, did not yet exist.23. Bridge calledBlaubrug(Blue Bridge) where Rembrandt sketched the perspective along the Amstel river.24. Houses on the“Singel”(now Nos. 234-236) where the caligrapherLieven Willemsz. Coppenal, an intimate friend of Rembrandt, had his school, and probably lived.25. House on the“Keizersgracht”(stated as the second house from the“Beerenstraat”), where the painterJohan van de Cappelle, a friend and fervent admirer of Rembrandt, lived until 1663.26. House in the“Koestraat”(now No. 15), where the same painter lived after 1663. This house, until then, had been inhabited by the celebrated musicianSweelinckand his descendants.27. House on the“Lauriergracht”(probably between the first and second bridge) where Rembrandt's pupilGovert Flincklived from 1644, until his death in 1660. Ten years earlier he was staying in the house of the dealer Hendrick Uylenburgh (see above) where Rembrandt then also lived.To locate the houses of some others of Rembrandt's artist-friends and pupils is more difficult:Ferdinand Bollived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Fluweele burgwal" (i.e., on the map, the left-hand side of the canal numbered 28), and afterwards in the new extension on the "Keizersgracht" near the "Spiegelstraat." So didGerbrand van den Eeckfwut, who died on the "Heeren-gracht" near the " Viyselstraat."Philips Konincklived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Keizersgracht," the same canal where we found Tulp and van de Cappelle.
Rembrandt's AmsterdamReprinted, by permission of Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, from“The Print-Collector's Quarterly”Frits LugtMuseum of Fine Arts, Boston1915ContentsMap KeyREMBRANDT'S AMSTERDAMFootnotesIllustrationsPLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650Plate 1. View of Amsterdam from the East.(reversed). After the etching by RembrandtPlate 2. The Old Town Hall in Amsterdam. After an engraving by Cl. Jz. Visscher.Plate 3. The Ruins of the Old Town Hall in Amsterdam, after the Fire in 1652. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in the Rembrandt House in Amsterdam.Plate 4. The New Town-Hall in Amsterdam, about 1660. The square building on the right is the public Weighing-House, where Rembrandt sketched the ruins of the old town-hall (see preceding illustration). After an etching by J. van der Ulft, 1656.Plate 5. The Bridge Called “Grimnessesluis” in Amsterdam. After the drawing by Rembrandt in the Louvre, Paris. Reproduced, by permission, from a copyright photograph by Messrs. Braun and Co., Dornach.Plate 6. View of the Ramparts of Amsterdam, with the St. Anthony-Gate in the Distance. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection.Plate 7. Mills on the West Side of Amsterdam, Looking Toward the Town. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in a private collection in Kopenhagen.Plate 8. View of the Same Side of Town as in Plate 7, but Looking Outward. The tower on the left is the same as sketched by Rembrandt (plate 13). After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 9. The Tower Called “Montelraanstoren” In Amsterdam After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in the Rembrandt House, AmsterdamPlate 10. The Same Tower as in the Preceding Illustration, with its Steeple and Surroundings. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 11. The Canal called “Singel” in Amsterdam. On the left-hand side Rembrandt's son, Titus, lived during his short married life. In the distance, the “Janroopoortstoren”. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 12. The Tower called “Swyght-Utrecht”, and the “Doelen” in Amsterdam (seeplate 20). After the drawing by Rembrandt in the collection of Dr. C. Hofsteded de Groot, The Hague.Plate 13. The Tower Called “Westertoren” In Amsterdam. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the Fodor Museum, AmsterdamPlate 14. The Canal called “Prinsengracht” in Amsterdam. The tower seen on the left is the same as seen in the preceding illustration. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 15. The St. Anthony-Market in Amsterdam, with the Old Gate Transformed into a Weighing-House. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 16. Rembrandt's House In The “St. Anthonie-breestraat” In Amsterdam On the left: As it must have looked when Rembrandt occupied it. On the right: Present state.Plate 17. The Bridge and Sluice called “St. Anthonie-sluis” in Amsterdam, seen from the North. Rembrandt's home (plate 16) stood in the immediate vicinity of this spot. After the drawing by A. Waterloo, in the Fodor Museum, Amsterdam.Plate 18. The “doelenstraat” In Amsterdam (old situation) The receding building, behind the low wall with gate, on the right, is the “Doelen” for which Rembrandt painted “The Night Watch.” The house where the master lived in 1636 was next to the house seen on the extreme right. The tower seen above the roof is the one sketched by Rembrandt (plate 12). Compare alsoplate 20After the drawing by R. Vinkeles in the Archives in AmsterdamPlate 19. The Back of the Houses in the “Doelenstraat” in Amsterdam. The narrow house in the middle, two windows wide, is, although rebuilt, the one where Rembrandt lived in 1636. To the left, part of Messrs. Frederk Muller & Co.'s aution and exhibition rooms.Plate 20. The Tower “Swyght-Utrecht” and the Backs of the Houses of the “Doelenstraat” in Amsterdam. The third house from the tower must be the one occupied by Rembrandt in 1636. After an engraving by van Meurs of about 1660.Plate 21. The Old Exchange in Amsterdam. After an engraving by Cl. Jz. Visscher.Plate 22. The Inn Called “de Keizers Kroon” In The Kalverstraat, Amsterdam. Here Rembrandt's collections were sold by auction, after his bankruptcy, in 1657 and 1058. After an anonymous drawing in the Archives in Amsterdam.Plate 23. The House Of Mr. F. Banning Cocq (the Captain And Prominent Person In Rembrandt's “Night-watch”) In Amsterdam After an anonymous drawing in the family archives of Jhr. D. de Graeff at The HaguePlate 24. The Star of the Kings. Children before a street door on Epiphany-evening. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the British Museum, London. Salting Bequest.Plate 25. Children Refore A Street Door: The One In The Middle With A “Rommelpot”. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the British Museum, LondonPlate 26. A Quacksalver on a Market-Place. After the drawing by Rembrandt. In the collection of Frederich August II, in Dresden.Plate 27. Portrait Of Jan Lutma. From an impression, in the First State, of Rembrandt's etching, in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.Plan of the City of Amsterdam about 1650PLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650Map KeyLine indicating the extension of the town, started during the last ten years of Rembrandt's life.1. House of the painterPieter Lastman, the master of Rembrandt, in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat.”In the same street was the house of the dealerHendrick Uylenburgh, with whom Rembrandt stayed during the first years after his settlement in Amsterdam.2. House in the“Doelenstraat”whereRembrandtlived in 1636 (see plates18,19,20).3. Part of the Amstel whereRembrandtseems to have lived towarda 1639.4. House in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat”(now called“Joden-breestraat,”No. 4) occupied and owned byRembrandtfrom 1639 until 1658 (seeplate 16). On the canal behind was the Synagogue of his friendMenasseh-ben-Israel. The bridge and sluice seen onplate 17is the one between this red number and number 1.5. House on the“Rosengracht”(now No. 184) whereRembrandtlived during the last ten years of his life.6. The“Bloemgracht”where Rembrandt is said to have used a store-house as a studio, principally for his pupils, during his first years in Amsterdam.7. The place where Rembrandt's sonTituslived, on the“Singel,”opposite the apple-market, in 1668, during his short married life (seeplate 11).8. House on the“Keizersgracht”(now No. 208) ofDr. Nicolaes Tulp, the principal person in Rembrandt's paintingThe Anatomical Lesson.Next to him livedDr. Aernout Tholinx, whose portrait was etched and painted by Rembrandt.9. House on the“Singel”(now Nos. 140-142) ofMr. F. Banning Cocq, the Captain in Rembrandt's masterwork,The Night-watch(seeplate 23).10. House on the“Kloveniersburgwal”(now No. 47) in which apparently livedMr. Jan Six, a well-known and influential person in Rembrandt's life, whose painted and etched portraits count among Rembrandt's finest productions.11. House in the“Kalverstraat”(now No. 10) of the print-dealer and publisherClement de Jonghewhose portrait Rembrandt etched.12. The old St. Anthony-gate, in Rembrandt's days Public Weighing-House, and, on the first floor, the seat of the Surgeon's Guild, of whichDr. TulpandDr. Deymanwere the foremen.13. The“Doelen,”meeting-place of the Civic Guard, for which Rembrandt'sNightwatchwas painted. At its side the tower, Swyght-Utrecht (seeplates 18,19,20).14. TheStaalhof, the office for which Rembrandt executed his celebrated picture known asThe Syndics.15. The inn calledDe Keizers Kroonin the Kalverstraat (now No. 71) where Rembrandt's collections were sold at auction, after his bankruptcy, in 1657 and 1658 (seeplate 22).16. TheDam, with the town-hall on the right and the Public Weighing-House in the middle (see plates2,3,4).17. The bridge calledGrimnessesluis(seeplate 5).18. The St. Anthony-gate (seeplate 6) at the end of the street where Rembrandt lived.19. The spot where Rembrandt has apparently sketched the mills and the views of the town (seeplate 7).20. The tower calledMontelbaanstoren(see plates9and10) and the bridge from which Rembrandt sketched it.21. The bridge called“Leliebrug,”from which Rembrandt sketched the tower of the church calledWesterkerk. This church, on the map, is between the bridge and the house numbered 8. (Seeplate 13.) In this church Rembrandt was buried.22. About this spot Rembrandt must have found the subject for his etchingView of Amsterdam(see Frontispiece,plate 1). When this etching was executed, the tongue of land, near there, with the two bastions, did not yet exist.23. Bridge calledBlaubrug(Blue Bridge) where Rembrandt sketched the perspective along the Amstel river.24. Houses on the“Singel”(now Nos. 234-236) where the caligrapherLieven Willemsz. Coppenal, an intimate friend of Rembrandt, had his school, and probably lived.25. House on the“Keizersgracht”(stated as the second house from the“Beerenstraat”), where the painterJohan van de Cappelle, a friend and fervent admirer of Rembrandt, lived until 1663.26. House in the“Koestraat”(now No. 15), where the same painter lived after 1663. This house, until then, had been inhabited by the celebrated musicianSweelinckand his descendants.27. House on the“Lauriergracht”(probably between the first and second bridge) where Rembrandt's pupilGovert Flincklived from 1644, until his death in 1660. Ten years earlier he was staying in the house of the dealer Hendrick Uylenburgh (see above) where Rembrandt then also lived.To locate the houses of some others of Rembrandt's artist-friends and pupils is more difficult:Ferdinand Bollived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Fluweele burgwal" (i.e., on the map, the left-hand side of the canal numbered 28), and afterwards in the new extension on the "Keizersgracht" near the "Spiegelstraat." So didGerbrand van den Eeckfwut, who died on the "Heeren-gracht" near the " Viyselstraat."Philips Konincklived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Keizersgracht," the same canal where we found Tulp and van de Cappelle.
Rembrandt's AmsterdamReprinted, by permission of Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, from“The Print-Collector's Quarterly”Frits LugtMuseum of Fine Arts, Boston1915
Frits Lugt
ContentsMap KeyREMBRANDT'S AMSTERDAMFootnotes
IllustrationsPLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650Plate 1. View of Amsterdam from the East.(reversed). After the etching by RembrandtPlate 2. The Old Town Hall in Amsterdam. After an engraving by Cl. Jz. Visscher.Plate 3. The Ruins of the Old Town Hall in Amsterdam, after the Fire in 1652. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in the Rembrandt House in Amsterdam.Plate 4. The New Town-Hall in Amsterdam, about 1660. The square building on the right is the public Weighing-House, where Rembrandt sketched the ruins of the old town-hall (see preceding illustration). After an etching by J. van der Ulft, 1656.Plate 5. The Bridge Called “Grimnessesluis” in Amsterdam. After the drawing by Rembrandt in the Louvre, Paris. Reproduced, by permission, from a copyright photograph by Messrs. Braun and Co., Dornach.Plate 6. View of the Ramparts of Amsterdam, with the St. Anthony-Gate in the Distance. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection.Plate 7. Mills on the West Side of Amsterdam, Looking Toward the Town. After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in a private collection in Kopenhagen.Plate 8. View of the Same Side of Town as in Plate 7, but Looking Outward. The tower on the left is the same as sketched by Rembrandt (plate 13). After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 9. The Tower Called “Montelraanstoren” In Amsterdam After the drawing by Rembrandt, formerly in the Heseltine Collection, now in the Rembrandt House, AmsterdamPlate 10. The Same Tower as in the Preceding Illustration, with its Steeple and Surroundings. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 11. The Canal called “Singel” in Amsterdam. On the left-hand side Rembrandt's son, Titus, lived during his short married life. In the distance, the “Janroopoortstoren”. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 12. The Tower called “Swyght-Utrecht”, and the “Doelen” in Amsterdam (seeplate 20). After the drawing by Rembrandt in the collection of Dr. C. Hofsteded de Groot, The Hague.Plate 13. The Tower Called “Westertoren” In Amsterdam. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the Fodor Museum, AmsterdamPlate 14. The Canal called “Prinsengracht” in Amsterdam. The tower seen on the left is the same as seen in the preceding illustration. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 15. The St. Anthony-Market in Amsterdam, with the Old Gate Transformed into a Weighing-House. After an etching by R. Zeeman, about 1650.Plate 16. Rembrandt's House In The “St. Anthonie-breestraat” In Amsterdam On the left: As it must have looked when Rembrandt occupied it. On the right: Present state.Plate 17. The Bridge and Sluice called “St. Anthonie-sluis” in Amsterdam, seen from the North. Rembrandt's home (plate 16) stood in the immediate vicinity of this spot. After the drawing by A. Waterloo, in the Fodor Museum, Amsterdam.Plate 18. The “doelenstraat” In Amsterdam (old situation) The receding building, behind the low wall with gate, on the right, is the “Doelen” for which Rembrandt painted “The Night Watch.” The house where the master lived in 1636 was next to the house seen on the extreme right. The tower seen above the roof is the one sketched by Rembrandt (plate 12). Compare alsoplate 20After the drawing by R. Vinkeles in the Archives in AmsterdamPlate 19. The Back of the Houses in the “Doelenstraat” in Amsterdam. The narrow house in the middle, two windows wide, is, although rebuilt, the one where Rembrandt lived in 1636. To the left, part of Messrs. Frederk Muller & Co.'s aution and exhibition rooms.Plate 20. The Tower “Swyght-Utrecht” and the Backs of the Houses of the “Doelenstraat” in Amsterdam. The third house from the tower must be the one occupied by Rembrandt in 1636. After an engraving by van Meurs of about 1660.Plate 21. The Old Exchange in Amsterdam. After an engraving by Cl. Jz. Visscher.Plate 22. The Inn Called “de Keizers Kroon” In The Kalverstraat, Amsterdam. Here Rembrandt's collections were sold by auction, after his bankruptcy, in 1657 and 1058. After an anonymous drawing in the Archives in Amsterdam.Plate 23. The House Of Mr. F. Banning Cocq (the Captain And Prominent Person In Rembrandt's “Night-watch”) In Amsterdam After an anonymous drawing in the family archives of Jhr. D. de Graeff at The HaguePlate 24. The Star of the Kings. Children before a street door on Epiphany-evening. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the British Museum, London. Salting Bequest.Plate 25. Children Refore A Street Door: The One In The Middle With A “Rommelpot”. After the drawing by Rembrandt, in the British Museum, LondonPlate 26. A Quacksalver on a Market-Place. After the drawing by Rembrandt. In the collection of Frederich August II, in Dresden.Plate 27. Portrait Of Jan Lutma. From an impression, in the First State, of Rembrandt's etching, in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
Plan of the City of Amsterdam about 1650PLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650Map KeyLine indicating the extension of the town, started during the last ten years of Rembrandt's life.1. House of the painterPieter Lastman, the master of Rembrandt, in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat.”In the same street was the house of the dealerHendrick Uylenburgh, with whom Rembrandt stayed during the first years after his settlement in Amsterdam.2. House in the“Doelenstraat”whereRembrandtlived in 1636 (see plates18,19,20).3. Part of the Amstel whereRembrandtseems to have lived towarda 1639.4. House in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat”(now called“Joden-breestraat,”No. 4) occupied and owned byRembrandtfrom 1639 until 1658 (seeplate 16). On the canal behind was the Synagogue of his friendMenasseh-ben-Israel. The bridge and sluice seen onplate 17is the one between this red number and number 1.5. House on the“Rosengracht”(now No. 184) whereRembrandtlived during the last ten years of his life.6. The“Bloemgracht”where Rembrandt is said to have used a store-house as a studio, principally for his pupils, during his first years in Amsterdam.7. The place where Rembrandt's sonTituslived, on the“Singel,”opposite the apple-market, in 1668, during his short married life (seeplate 11).8. House on the“Keizersgracht”(now No. 208) ofDr. Nicolaes Tulp, the principal person in Rembrandt's paintingThe Anatomical Lesson.Next to him livedDr. Aernout Tholinx, whose portrait was etched and painted by Rembrandt.9. House on the“Singel”(now Nos. 140-142) ofMr. F. Banning Cocq, the Captain in Rembrandt's masterwork,The Night-watch(seeplate 23).10. House on the“Kloveniersburgwal”(now No. 47) in which apparently livedMr. Jan Six, a well-known and influential person in Rembrandt's life, whose painted and etched portraits count among Rembrandt's finest productions.11. House in the“Kalverstraat”(now No. 10) of the print-dealer and publisherClement de Jonghewhose portrait Rembrandt etched.12. The old St. Anthony-gate, in Rembrandt's days Public Weighing-House, and, on the first floor, the seat of the Surgeon's Guild, of whichDr. TulpandDr. Deymanwere the foremen.13. The“Doelen,”meeting-place of the Civic Guard, for which Rembrandt'sNightwatchwas painted. At its side the tower, Swyght-Utrecht (seeplates 18,19,20).14. TheStaalhof, the office for which Rembrandt executed his celebrated picture known asThe Syndics.15. The inn calledDe Keizers Kroonin the Kalverstraat (now No. 71) where Rembrandt's collections were sold at auction, after his bankruptcy, in 1657 and 1658 (seeplate 22).16. TheDam, with the town-hall on the right and the Public Weighing-House in the middle (see plates2,3,4).17. The bridge calledGrimnessesluis(seeplate 5).18. The St. Anthony-gate (seeplate 6) at the end of the street where Rembrandt lived.19. The spot where Rembrandt has apparently sketched the mills and the views of the town (seeplate 7).20. The tower calledMontelbaanstoren(see plates9and10) and the bridge from which Rembrandt sketched it.21. The bridge called“Leliebrug,”from which Rembrandt sketched the tower of the church calledWesterkerk. This church, on the map, is between the bridge and the house numbered 8. (Seeplate 13.) In this church Rembrandt was buried.22. About this spot Rembrandt must have found the subject for his etchingView of Amsterdam(see Frontispiece,plate 1). When this etching was executed, the tongue of land, near there, with the two bastions, did not yet exist.23. Bridge calledBlaubrug(Blue Bridge) where Rembrandt sketched the perspective along the Amstel river.24. Houses on the“Singel”(now Nos. 234-236) where the caligrapherLieven Willemsz. Coppenal, an intimate friend of Rembrandt, had his school, and probably lived.25. House on the“Keizersgracht”(stated as the second house from the“Beerenstraat”), where the painterJohan van de Cappelle, a friend and fervent admirer of Rembrandt, lived until 1663.26. House in the“Koestraat”(now No. 15), where the same painter lived after 1663. This house, until then, had been inhabited by the celebrated musicianSweelinckand his descendants.27. House on the“Lauriergracht”(probably between the first and second bridge) where Rembrandt's pupilGovert Flincklived from 1644, until his death in 1660. Ten years earlier he was staying in the house of the dealer Hendrick Uylenburgh (see above) where Rembrandt then also lived.To locate the houses of some others of Rembrandt's artist-friends and pupils is more difficult:Ferdinand Bollived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Fluweele burgwal" (i.e., on the map, the left-hand side of the canal numbered 28), and afterwards in the new extension on the "Keizersgracht" near the "Spiegelstraat." So didGerbrand van den Eeckfwut, who died on the "Heeren-gracht" near the " Viyselstraat."Philips Konincklived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Keizersgracht," the same canal where we found Tulp and van de Cappelle.
Plan of the City of Amsterdam about 1650PLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650
PLAN OF THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM ABOUT 1650
Map KeyLine indicating the extension of the town, started during the last ten years of Rembrandt's life.1. House of the painterPieter Lastman, the master of Rembrandt, in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat.”In the same street was the house of the dealerHendrick Uylenburgh, with whom Rembrandt stayed during the first years after his settlement in Amsterdam.2. House in the“Doelenstraat”whereRembrandtlived in 1636 (see plates18,19,20).3. Part of the Amstel whereRembrandtseems to have lived towarda 1639.4. House in the“St. Anthonie-breestraat”(now called“Joden-breestraat,”No. 4) occupied and owned byRembrandtfrom 1639 until 1658 (seeplate 16). On the canal behind was the Synagogue of his friendMenasseh-ben-Israel. The bridge and sluice seen onplate 17is the one between this red number and number 1.5. House on the“Rosengracht”(now No. 184) whereRembrandtlived during the last ten years of his life.6. The“Bloemgracht”where Rembrandt is said to have used a store-house as a studio, principally for his pupils, during his first years in Amsterdam.7. The place where Rembrandt's sonTituslived, on the“Singel,”opposite the apple-market, in 1668, during his short married life (seeplate 11).8. House on the“Keizersgracht”(now No. 208) ofDr. Nicolaes Tulp, the principal person in Rembrandt's paintingThe Anatomical Lesson.Next to him livedDr. Aernout Tholinx, whose portrait was etched and painted by Rembrandt.9. House on the“Singel”(now Nos. 140-142) ofMr. F. Banning Cocq, the Captain in Rembrandt's masterwork,The Night-watch(seeplate 23).10. House on the“Kloveniersburgwal”(now No. 47) in which apparently livedMr. Jan Six, a well-known and influential person in Rembrandt's life, whose painted and etched portraits count among Rembrandt's finest productions.11. House in the“Kalverstraat”(now No. 10) of the print-dealer and publisherClement de Jonghewhose portrait Rembrandt etched.12. The old St. Anthony-gate, in Rembrandt's days Public Weighing-House, and, on the first floor, the seat of the Surgeon's Guild, of whichDr. TulpandDr. Deymanwere the foremen.13. The“Doelen,”meeting-place of the Civic Guard, for which Rembrandt'sNightwatchwas painted. At its side the tower, Swyght-Utrecht (seeplates 18,19,20).14. TheStaalhof, the office for which Rembrandt executed his celebrated picture known asThe Syndics.15. The inn calledDe Keizers Kroonin the Kalverstraat (now No. 71) where Rembrandt's collections were sold at auction, after his bankruptcy, in 1657 and 1658 (seeplate 22).16. TheDam, with the town-hall on the right and the Public Weighing-House in the middle (see plates2,3,4).17. The bridge calledGrimnessesluis(seeplate 5).18. The St. Anthony-gate (seeplate 6) at the end of the street where Rembrandt lived.19. The spot where Rembrandt has apparently sketched the mills and the views of the town (seeplate 7).20. The tower calledMontelbaanstoren(see plates9and10) and the bridge from which Rembrandt sketched it.21. The bridge called“Leliebrug,”from which Rembrandt sketched the tower of the church calledWesterkerk. This church, on the map, is between the bridge and the house numbered 8. (Seeplate 13.) In this church Rembrandt was buried.22. About this spot Rembrandt must have found the subject for his etchingView of Amsterdam(see Frontispiece,plate 1). When this etching was executed, the tongue of land, near there, with the two bastions, did not yet exist.23. Bridge calledBlaubrug(Blue Bridge) where Rembrandt sketched the perspective along the Amstel river.24. Houses on the“Singel”(now Nos. 234-236) where the caligrapherLieven Willemsz. Coppenal, an intimate friend of Rembrandt, had his school, and probably lived.25. House on the“Keizersgracht”(stated as the second house from the“Beerenstraat”), where the painterJohan van de Cappelle, a friend and fervent admirer of Rembrandt, lived until 1663.26. House in the“Koestraat”(now No. 15), where the same painter lived after 1663. This house, until then, had been inhabited by the celebrated musicianSweelinckand his descendants.27. House on the“Lauriergracht”(probably between the first and second bridge) where Rembrandt's pupilGovert Flincklived from 1644, until his death in 1660. Ten years earlier he was staying in the house of the dealer Hendrick Uylenburgh (see above) where Rembrandt then also lived.To locate the houses of some others of Rembrandt's artist-friends and pupils is more difficult:Ferdinand Bollived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Fluweele burgwal" (i.e., on the map, the left-hand side of the canal numbered 28), and afterwards in the new extension on the "Keizersgracht" near the "Spiegelstraat." So didGerbrand van den Eeckfwut, who died on the "Heeren-gracht" near the " Viyselstraat."Philips Konincklived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Keizersgracht," the same canal where we found Tulp and van de Cappelle.
Line indicating the extension of the town, started during the last ten years of Rembrandt's life.
Line indicating the extension of the town, started during the last ten years of Rembrandt's life.
To locate the houses of some others of Rembrandt's artist-friends and pupils is more difficult:Ferdinand Bollived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Fluweele burgwal" (i.e., on the map, the left-hand side of the canal numbered 28), and afterwards in the new extension on the "Keizersgracht" near the "Spiegelstraat." So didGerbrand van den Eeckfwut, who died on the "Heeren-gracht" near the " Viyselstraat."Philips Konincklived, in Rembrandt's time, on the "Keizersgracht," the same canal where we found Tulp and van de Cappelle.