THE PRAAM.

III 53

TheHoogeveensche Praamis an open vessel, of relatively recent date, descended from the Somp but having a fuller bow and stern.

III 35

The tendency, already noticed in the XVIIth and at the beginning of the XVIIIth century, to build larger and fuller vessels (VANYK, p 348), became still more marked in the XIXth century. It is thus that the “Snijboonen” and “Sompen” are seen to increase in size and that birth is given to thePraamof which the size and load can be compared with those of the Hoy.

III 36

The “Pram” has retained, however, the slender bow and stern as also the characteristic line of the bends. (LECOMTE, p. 23.) All of these vessels have the “draai-over-boord” often accompanied with a poop deck. Hence these “Pramen” are totally separated from the vessels of the “Semaque” (hoy) group met with in Friesland and Groningen. They have nothing to do with theGroninger Aardappelpraamor with theGroninger Slijkpraam, or with theFriesche Praamwhich belong to the “Hoy” group. The name ofPraamwhich is met with in Overijssel only at the end of the XVIIIth or beginning of the XIXth century is not purely Dutch. The MarquisDETOLINsays, for example (p. 175), that Napoleon caused to be built for his Boulogne fleet a few “prams”, flat bottomed vessels, 37 m. long, 8 m. wide and drawing about 2.50 m. They were rigged with three masts and were armed with cannon. (DEBONNEFOUXand PARIS;Dictionnaire de Marine à Voiles, anno 1847, p. 59.) Twenty “Prams” of this kind are said to have been built. They had nothing in common, however, with our “Pramen” unless it were that both vessels were flat bottomed. The MarquisDETOLINdescribes the Dutch “Praam” in his book (p. 144); but this description lacks precision, because the “Overijsselsche” and “Friesche Pramen” are grouped together.

The “Friesche praam” (pram of Friesland) is merely a small hoy with rather slight sheer and provided with a “statie”; whilethe other is a flat bottomed vessel with “draai-over-boord” and never with a “statie”.

LECOMTE(p. 29) says that the first of these vessels were built only in the province of Drenthe, at Meppel and Hoogeveen, and he too groups the hoy with the “Friesche pram”. So he writes (p. 14), for example, that the “hoys” sometimes have movable washboards when they load above the gunwales, whereas this is especially characteristic of the “Friesche pramen”.

Meanwhile, the Pram is often spoken of in Holland, although no vessel bearing that name, or one resembling the Overijsselsche Praam, is found there. This name is used then to designate vessels in general.

The big “Overijsselsche Praam”, as it is known to-day, dates only from the second half of the XIXth century and its increase in size is due solely to the improvement of existing canals and to the opening to traffic of new navigable highways, nearly all dating from the same period. In this way, the “Drentsche Hoofdvaart” was only connected with Groningen by the construction of the Noord Willemsvaart in 1858-1862; (seeGedenkboek Koninklijk Instituut van Ingenieurs, p. 31). The Hoogeveensche vaart, dug in 1623 as an “Echtens nieuwe grift”, was only extended eastward and improved between 1850 and 1860 and the Meppelerdiep was improved only in 1860 and 1882.

The final junction of Friesland and Groningen by water is also of recent date; communication was had formerly only by sea. The inland communication between these provinces was still very primitive until the beginning of the XIXth century. It was only after 1851 that improvement was spoken of, and in 1864, the Gaarkeuken lock was rebuilt, at the boundary between the two provinces, with a width, of 6 metres and a neat length of 26 metres. The Stadskanaal, started in 1766 or 1767 was only finished in 1858.

It was also only in the XIXth century that the improvement of the junction between Overijssel and Friesland, accomplished by the removal of the high peat bogs, was begun, and the junction of the northern with the southern provinces of the Netherlands was brought about in 1820 by the opening of the “Willemsvaart” (which connects the Yssel with the Zwartewater). A water supply canal had really been built from Zwolle toward Yssel as far back as the XIVth century, and improvement of this canal, so as to make it navigable had really been begun in 1480, but the reciprocal jealousy of the cities of Yssel stopped these works. (Dr. H. BLINK, vol. II, p. 282.) Up to the first half of the XIXth century, water communications between the northern provinces were had under these conditions, by way of the Zuyder Zee, communications for which vessels of the hoy group were, at first used exclusively. The “Potten” and the “Pujen”, like the “Sompen” and “Peggen”, were unable to stand the high seas (WITSEN, p. 170.) and only the “Prams”, which appeared later, were able by reason of their size and strength to take the open sea, and soon to spread over all our country.

It is interesting to inquire however, how the name “Praams” came to be admitted into a country where there existed so many other and more appropriate names. There is no doubt that the influence of the province of Groningen brought about this adoption. In fact, the city of Groningen decided, by the “Convenant van 1817” (treaty of 1817, a time when the big Pramen of Overijssel were not yet built) that people coming to the market must pay, like every one else, the ordinary tolls at bridges, locks and gates of existing canals. There was to be paid for the canals to be builtthirtycents at each lock for a “schip” (boat) andtencents for a “pram”. The same distinction between boat and “pram” was already found in the old tariffs. For example: the “Stadsordonnantie” of January 28, 1773, lays down that a boat shall pay 15 sous at the locks of the city and a “pram” only 4 sous. It appears from all this that a distinction was made at Groningen between the “boat” and the “pram” and from the great difference in price it is clear that a “pram” was a small boat.

This is so evident that more ample explanations in regard to the nature of the “pram” have not been sought, and it is clear that the well known “Slijkpramen” of the province of Groningen are meant, the “Slijkpramen” being used just as well in the Dollard as in the peat bogs. They are small narrow boats, open above, with a straight longitudinal section, full bow andstern (like the hoys of Groningen). They are found also, with a few changes, under the name of “Vlotpramen”.

When, after the completion of the Noord Willemsvaart in 1862, the direct connection between Overijssel and Groningen was accomplished and this latter province could be reached by the large Overijssel boats, which had also sides with no sheer, it was found evidently advantageous to call these vessels simply “Prams”. In this way, advantage was taken of the lower rate and, considering the resulting profits, good care was taken not to change the name “Pram” to that of “Schip”. It was only in 1903 that a judgment of the justice of the peace of Groningen decided that the vessels in question must be considered as “Schepen” and not as “Pramen”, considered by the above mentioned covenant. (Provinciale Groninger Courant, Dinsdag, 24 Februari 1903, No46.) This judgment, which put an end to the advantages mentioned above, was given as the result of a report of experts dated December 24, 1902. Among the preambles of this report is pointed out the French translation of an article of the tariff sheet appended to the convenant of 1817, where the word “Praam” was translated officially by “bateau dit vlotpraam”, meaning by that, and rightly, the small open “praam” of Groningen. The experts were mistaken, however, in saying that the present large “prams” were descended from the “vlotpraam” of Groningen. These prams are exactly like the Overijssel boats, but their dimensions are larger. Furthermore, they never belonged to the Groningen class of vessels. Their fine bow and stern are the most striking proof of this. In order to settle the type of the “prams”, search should not have been made alone in Groningen, as was done by the experts, but a comparison should have been made between the types of this province and those of Overijssel.

To refer, as in the report of the experts, to a few earlier judgments where it is a question of “Praamschip” proves just as little, because there is no sense in considering the name of a boat, the type is what is required. The conclusion of the report is still more absurd, seeing that it says that the “praam” is a “boat” (schip), because the owner is called a “boatman” (schipper)!

The covenant of 1817 was not applicable to the “Overijsselsche pramen” because these did not exist when the agreement was concluded.

What precedes shows plainly that it is important to classify boats clearly and to determine beyond doubt the country to which the types belong.

It is perfectly natural that Overijssel should have found itself under the influence of the other provinces. So, the “Hoy” is found along the Zuyder-Zee and, in the XVIIth century, the “IJzeren Verken” (anglice: iron hog) is a boat which should also be classed among the hoys and which WITSENcalls a solid boat from Overijssel (p. 170). In the same way, the “statie” from Friesland is taken up in Overijssel, it being originally from the former province.

III 37

It will be useless to note that “Praamaken” and “Aaktjalken” are met with, that is to say a few boats having the shape of the “Praam” and of the Hoy, but without a stem. The bottom ends in the nose and the planking is assembled on this front face.

Many “hoys” and “prams” have been built of iron during recent years. They still show characteristic differences among themselves, but it is to be expected that finally the forms will be confounded, when the “prams” will have taken fuller forms and the sheer of the hoys will have been reduced.

III 25

Finally, the “Koftjalk” must be mentioned again; it being a boat which is intermediate between the “Kof” and the “Hoy”. This kind of boat is originally from Groningen and resembles strongly the “Buitenmotten” of East Friesland. The “Koftjalk” is the precursor of the “Koffs” which later on replaced the “Cats and the Flutes”.

III 22

The “Koffs” therefore are not a spontaneous production, but were developed gradually as trade and industry extended or as navigable highways reached further and became improved. Thus the dimensions of the “Koffs” increased at the beginning of the XIXth century as the result of the creation of the Damsterdiep in 1791.

If Hogendorp (Bijdrage tot de huishouding van den Staat, Vol. I, p. 183), still speaks, at the end of the XVIIIth century, of “Koffs” of 70 to 100 lasts, on the other hand, LECOMTE(p. 16) mentions, at the beginning of the XIXth, “Koffs” of 100 to 150 “lasts”.

The name of “Koftjalk” shows, on the other hand, that there is only a slight difference existing between the “Koff” and the “Hoy”.

III 47II 176II 178

The “Kraak” is a strongly built boat, with no sheer, with full and rounded bow and stern, belonging to the smack group. This vessel, of the size of a small “hoy”, belongs to the region limited by the broken line Amsterdam, Naarden, Nigtevecht, Haarlem, Zaandam and Amsterdam, this last city being considered as its place of origin. This very old type of boat is already to be seen in the engravings of the beginning of the XVIIth century, but there they are called “Lichter”.

It is for this reason that WITSENspeaks of the “Amsterdamsche binnenlichters”, as being “een plomb gebouwd zonder zeil of mast overdekt met hooge ronde luiken” (a heavily built boat, without masts or sails, covered by high round hatches).

They were generally poled and had no masts; and carried a small deckhouse aft.

An engraving of a “lichter” of the XVIIth century, also bears this distich:

II 177

“Te lichten menich schip bequaemDaar af voert dit schip zijnen naem.”

“Te lichten menich schip bequaemDaar af voert dit schip zijnen naem.”

“Te lichten menich schip bequaemDaar af voert dit schip zijnen naem.”

“Te lichten menich schip bequaem

Daar af voert dit schip zijnen naem.”

(The name of this boat comes to it because it is able to raise many another).

Later, larger “Lichters” were built, known as “Lichter” of Nigtevecht, Brouwershaven, Wieringen, etc.

All have the same massive form raised a little forward and aft. A few carry a “statie”. The waist of the boat is always straight. The larger size involved the necessity of a rig, and the “Lichters” so rigged were called “Kraken”, a name which has nothing in common with that of the Spanish caracks.

III 48

An engraving which shows a ferry-boat running between Amsterdam and Haarlem, gives an idea of the precursor of the “Kraak”. There must also be counted among the “Kraken”, the “IJker”, with a smooth hull, of which the more recent name undoubtedly designates the same kind of vessel. It is well again to remark that the old “Turfijker” has nothing to do with this “IJker”, with a smooth hull, which it resembles only in name.

At Haarlem, the “Kraak” is called “Haarlemmerpont”. This vessel is a little less bluff and the stern is less full.

The Netherlands, cut up by innumerable rivers and streams in every direction, have been, from the most distant times, the country “par excellence” of ferries and other vessels for carrying man and beast to and fro.

III 59III 61

The simplest form of these ferries is shown by the rectangular scow made to run back and forth by hauling on one or two ropes. Boats of this kind are very well known by the name of “Overhaalpontjes” (skiffs), of which large numbers exist still in Holland, especially in the neighborhoods of The Hague, Amsterdam and Utrecht.

The “Ponton” is another kind of ferry boat.

The larger sized craft are raised forward and aft to facilitate the passage. The bow and stern, which are broad and flat, carry a movable part called the “Koebrug” (cow bridge) to facilitate taking horses, cattle and carts on board. These movable outside bridges are lowered and raised by two balanced levers, one on each side. By bearing down on them, the fore bridge is raised a little above the horizontal. The lever is then made fast. After crossing the river, the bridge is dropped and rests on the approach. The slope of the bridge must not be too great, nor should the movable part be too long, otherwise it would be unmanageable.

It follows from what precedes, that there exists, for a good approach, a certain relation between the slope of the ramp, the length of the movable bridge and the draught of the ferry-boat.

As a general rule and for ordinary pontoons, the most favorable slope for the ramp is 1 in 8.

An easier slope makes too sharp an inclination for the movable bridge; a steeper slope, which would make the bridge more nearly horizontal, would make, on the other hand, too difficult an approach for wheeled vehicles.

III 60–64

In order to send the pontoon across, oars or a sprit sail can be used. The boat is then steered with an oar. Instead of using a pontoon with a movable bridge at each end, a “Halve Pont” (half pontoon) is the more generally in service. This is a boat with the bow of an ake and the stern of a pontoon. Sometimes this half pontoon is called a “Pijper”. Vehicles come an board the ferry over the stern and must leave in the same way. The vehicles must go ashore backward as they cannot turn end for end on the boat itself.

If the current of the river be strong enough, it is utilized to carry the ferry back und forth by means of a cable. It is needless to say that large pontoons with a movable part at each end are used for the purpose.

III 63

The “Gierpont” (flying bridge) allows a stream to be crossed as follows:

The operating cable is attached at one end to an anchor put down upstream near the middle of the river and at the other end to the middle of the upstream side of the boat. The two ends of the pontoon are then fastened by special lines to the swinging cable. The pontoon can, in this way, be made to lie at an angle to the current. The component of the current normal to the side of the boat causes it to cross in describing an arc of a circle around the anchor as a centre and with the length of the cable as a radius. The speed is regulated by changing the angle which the axis of the pontoon makes with the direction of the current.

In order to assist the action of the current on the pontoon, two or four lee-boards are fastened to the upstream side, that is: the side next to the cable, one or two of them serving to cross the stream to the right bank, the other one or two, to the left bank.

In order to diminish the resistance of the cable in the water, it is supported by a few small boats called “onderlegaakjes”.

A “Gierpont” of this kind works, among others on the Meuse, at the Gravenbicht-Rothem (Limbourg) and Grave crossings.

III 62

The “Kabelveerpont” is another kind of boat for crossing streams. The swinging cable is here replaced by one which crosses the stream, on the bottom of which it lies under the action of its own weight. The middle of the upstream side of the boat is attached to this cable, which passes over a sheave. In order to cross the stream, the boat is pushed off into the current, after having raised the movable bridges, then the cable is drawn up on the end of the boat pointing across the river and made to pass over a sheave placed, temporarily and for the crossing, at the middle of the bridge. The pontoon then occupies a position oblique to the cable and, as in the preceding case, at an angle to the direction of the current which causes the boat to move. The cable, which runs from one bank to the other, rests on the bed of the river from which only the part on the boat is raised.

The pontoons serving the crossings at Kessenich-Stevensweert and at Elsloo-Boorsheim (Limburg-an-Meuse) may be mentioned as examples of this kind of ferries.

The cable is not always raised, however, on the boat because when so raised it may interfere with navigation. Sometimes the cable is allowed to remain on the bed of the river and the ferry is attached to a rope which is connected with the cable by means of a roller. This rope, which is then stretched in the direction of the current, is fastened to the middle of the upstream side of the boat. If now the latter be inclined by means of a special cable, as explained in the case of the “Gierpont”, it crosses the river, the roller running on the cable which lies on the bottom.

An example of such a boat is to be found at the crossing at Zalt-Bommel in Gelderland. The trouble with these cablesand of all transverse cables in general is that they are often displaced by the anchors of vessels which foul them in passing. Abroad, especially in Belgium, the cables for trail bridges (as they are called in the United States) are stretched above the river so that vessels can pass underneath. But this arrangement does not seem to be applicable to heavy boats and to the great widths of the crossings found in Holland without using expensive means for supporting the cable.

In Limburg, where the character of the Meuse is torrential, and where the steep slope of the bed causes much more violent currents than in the rest of our country, the barges have no lee boards.

A very wide approach ramp is necessary for all these ferries in general and for the “Kabelveerponten” in particular. A width of 16 metres at the level of mean low water and lessening upward has been found necessary, because of the slack of the cable which varies with the strength of the current and the force of the wind.

The more violent the current, the easier it is to go safely on the boat, and this allows the width of the approach ramp to be reduced near the top, because this upper part is only utilized during high water.

II 174II 175II 178II 181

It is needless to say that not only pontoons, but also every kind of boats, such as the “hoys” and “poonen” already mentioned, can be also utilized for crossing.

III 60III 65III 67

Use is also frequently made of the “Hengsten” (anglice: stallions, used here to designate strength) and of the “Veerhengsten” which belong to the type of the “Hoogaarsen”, which they resemble greatly.

The “Hoorgaarsen” are described among the fishing boats.

For ferrying pedestrians, rowboats and “vletten” are very frequently used.

One remark may still be added to what precedes:

Two cables are needed for tidal rivers, one above and one below, so as to be able to work during both the ebb and flood tides. The manœuvres then become difficult at times, because when the tide is at a stand there is no current or it is so weak that the crossing is not always possible. In these cases the cables are used merely as guides for the boats. The latter are run across by hand or by a motor which works a special cable for crossing. A system of this sort is located on the Bergsche Meuse, below Heusden.

If the current becomes too strong at high water, so that there is danger of breaking the cables, the pontoon way be attached to a swinging cable which would then take up the greater part of the tension. This cable should be very long: 1º so that the pull on the anchor way be as nearly horizontal as possible and 2º so that the arc described by the ferry boat may be as flat as possible.

The small inland boats are not less important than those just considered. Their size has gone on increasing as the navigable highways are improved and the clinker-built hulls give way to the carvel built. They differ, in the matter of form, from the types mentioned above, by their relatively small beam as compared with their length, as much as by their very much inclined bow and stern. If, as a general rule, the ratio between length and breadth which lay generally between 3.5 and 4.6 now reaches often 5 for the inland boats. Evidently, they are all flat-bottomed and, of late years, they have been built with a more rounded bilge.

III 83III 84

TheBokis one of the largest vessels of this group. It is met with in Friesland, in the North-West of the province of Utrecht, below Ankeveen and ’s Graveland, and in the North-East of South Holland to the North of the Old Rhine. It is a long, narrow boat, 16 metres long, only 3.35 m. beam and 1.75 m. depth. It narrows sharply toward the bottom and has a very strong sternpost and stem. The sternpost is straight and leaning; the stern also slopes and is slightly curved. The bow of the boat is square which gives it a characteristic appearance.

II 240III 85

Along with the “Bok” there is found in Friesland, theSnik, which is a “Bok” of less square build with a more sloping sternpost and stem.

In the province of Holland, the same difference from the “Bok” is noted in the “Harlemmermeerlompertje” which is smaller than the “Frisian Snik”.

III 86

Neither the name of “Snik” nor that of “Bok” is known in Groningen, but there is in this region a boat of the same kind, with its bow and stern a little fuller than those of the “Bok ”. It is theGroningen aardappelpraam(Groningen potato pram) already met with. Like the three preceding boats, its bends have a slight sheer. Its full bow and stern differentiate it from the “Overijsselsche pramen”.

If we leave the Haarlem lake, passing by Leiden, that is to say: if we cross the country of the downs going toward the West, we meet everywhere a type of boat which, while smaller, is still shaped like the “bokken”. This type as the “Westlander” (boat of the West) is its representative.

III 80

This boat has a sharply raking and slightly curved stem. It rises but little above the water so as to be able to pass under the bridges. It can use sails but, most of the time, it is moved ahead by means of a boathook. The boat is decked over with flat and horizontal hatch covers. Considering the relatively low position of the tiller, these boats, like the preceding, have a “stuurbak” (a cockpit in the deck where the helmsman stands). The top plank is strengthened so as to act as a bend. If this element be lacking, which is frequently the case with the small boats of this class, they are also called “Bok”, but this must not be confounded with the big Frisian “Bok” mentioned above. “Westlanders” are often used for levelling off the downs; they are well known at the Hague.

II 182II 184II 185III 71

In the XVIIth century, there was met with, to the North of Leyden, along the Haarlem lake and in that part of North Holland lying North of the line Aalsmeer-Muiden, a boat then currently called “Kaag” (Kage or Kaghe), of which WITSENgives a good reproduction in his work (p. 174). This boat differed from the preceding types by the greater elevation of the bow and by the drawing together of the upper planking, which make it resemble the fishing boat, called the “Hoogaars”. Like this last, it had a broad bow, but the stern, on the other hand, is more narrowed. The stem was straight but with a marked rake. The mast is at one-third the length from the bow; it is rigged with a sprit sail. This boat no longer exists now, but, on the other hand, a boat with a smooth hull is met with which resembles it and is now called the “Snik” or “Gondel”. It is, however, less angular and has a square stern, which, as every where else, appeared later. It is probable that it is the old “Kaag” which is again found in this class of boats and which is often used to-day. The ratio of length to beam is the same for both vessels.

On the tidal rivers of Holland, there is found, as a small boat, theKinderdijksche Hoogaarswhich resembles the old kaag perfectly. Then, there is met with among the islands of South Holland, a boat with a smooth hull, the “Beyerlandsche Schuitje” which is an “ake” if its bottom which rises right up to the extreme point of the bow be considered; it is probably not a very old type. Its affiliation with the preceding boats can still be easily observed. This boat is 9 m. long, 2.75 m. beam and 1.30 m. deep. The mast is from a quarter to a third of the length from the bow.

The “Beyerlandsche Schuit” corresponds fully to the fishing boat called the “Tholensche Schouw”.

III 88III 87

There is met with in the province of Utrecht another kind of boat which, while resembling the “Westlander” somewhat differs from it by its finer lines and more slender construction. The sternpost, like the stem, is straight and rakes a great deal, which makes these boats very pointed. They areUtrechtsche Pramen(Utrecht Pram) and when they are entirely open they are calledKromme Rijnaakalthough they do not show the characteristic flat bottom rising toward the bow. They correspond tothe “Vlotschuit” mentioned by WITSEN(p. 171, No. 3) even though this latter boat is broader in proportion to its length.

III 89

The “Utrecht pram” sails along the “Kromme Rijn” and in the country still further North, along the Vecht. It greatly resembles a “punter” of the North of Overijssel (near Vollenhove, etc.) but it is longer and narrower. This class of boat is also met with in North Holland: theGroenteschuitje van Hoorn, called by WITSEN(p. 171-3)Weyschuitjeis an example.

TheSchouwis a flat, open tub met everywhere. It is a very simple and very primitive boat which is seen already in the oldest engravings both in the countries along the Mediterranean and in the countries of the North of Europe.

The “Schouwen” are very much used in our country of canals and rivers. These more or less large tubs have gradually developed into the form of boats. Nearly all are pulled or pushed with a pole. The largest are the “Melkschouwen” of which large numbers can be seen every day at Rotterdam.

The hull of the “Schouwen” narrows a little forward and aft, while the bottom rises there regularly.

These boats are entirely open as a rule. When they have a hold covered with hatch covers and when they are a little higher and carry a cuddy forward and aft they are calledSchiedamsche Schouwen, better known still by the name ofSpoelingschuiten(small boats for carrying the refuse of fruit).

II 224II 227

It is hard for the present generation to imagine that, 60 years ago, the “Trekschuit” was still the only means of locomotion of the period. Who would now think of going in a “Trekschuit” from the Hague to Schevening or back where so many electric trams cross each other everywhere? And yet, the “Trekschuiten” have played an important part in our “country of water” and there are still some regions where these boats are in use. The “Trekschuiten”, properly so called, could be divided into two classes, those with a sloping but straight stem and those with a curved stem.

III 77III 79III 80

The first, which are almost entirely like the Westlanders, while being of a little more massive construction, are found particularly in North and South Holland and to the West of Utrecht. The old engravings show that these boats have changed little in the course of the centuries; the water tight cabin being the only serious modification which they have undergone.

III 78

They are still frequently met with as “Pakschuiten”, of which the vivid colors (green, white, red) immediately attract the eyes.

The second class of these boats, which have curved stems, are of more elegant shape. They are known by the name of “Barges” or “Trekjachten”, and are found especially in the North of our country, in North Holland, Groningen, Friesland. Their bows and sterns are quite full (like the “hoys”) and make one think rather of the old yachts, fined down a little, from which they are certainly descended.

II 156II 235II 184II 185II 186III 90

The old “Yacht” was one of the most beautiful boats in use. At first a small reproduction of the pinnace, it was afterwards built of larger dimensions while offering, by reason of its lack of depth, (“Vlotgaanswille”, as it used to be said), pretty full forms. The decoration of the cabin and of the stern was particularly carefully wrought out. The “Yachts” carried sprit sails and had no lee boards. It is to be regretted that sundry pictures showing yachts should not have been preserved; in the second half of the XIXth century some of them were destroyed as firewood. A few superb photographs of “Yachts”, taken from drawings in the collection of Mr. van Gijn, of Dordrecht, accompany the collection and it will be seen how suggestive they are.

III 68

The “Baggeraak” (dredging ake) forms a special group. As has been said already, they can be classified in three groups. To the first group, belongs the “Vlet” (flat) or “Baggeraak”which is met with in Southern Holland, the West of the Betuwe, the West of Northern Brabant (the Biesbosch and Donge) and also in Zeeland, in a word, on all our tidal rivers. The “Flette” or “Baggeraak” (called also “Sliedrechtsche aak”) was a small stout boat which, save for a small cuddy in the bow, was wholly open. Its rig was the “Spritsail”, it was provided with lee boards and movable wash boards so as to facilitate the casting of hand dredges. These wash boards were placed only when the boat was partially loaded, that is when it was appreciably down in the water. The mast was set at one-fifth to one-fourth of the length of the vessel from the bow. The ratio of beam to length was as 1:4. The planking was continuous to the nose against which a false stem was fitted.

In Zeeland, a great many “Hoogaarsen” are used for dredging, and “Boeieraakjes” are employed in Brabant and Holland, as at the Biesbosch and on the Amer and the Donge. They are also used a great deal on the Meuse, although there, as on other upper rivers, the “Bovenlandsche Baggeraakjes” were formerly employed.

III 70

There belong to theBovenlandsche baggeraakjesthose vessels of the Meuse which stand midway between the “Keen” and the “Whalemajol”. They have a little sprit sail rig and a “Klaphekken” (a special kind of rudder). The largest, known especially by the name of “Hedelsche Aken” and which carry lee-boards, are used for all sorts of purposes. These boats belong neither to the true Meuse type nor to the Rhenish type above Bonn (The Keen, etc.). They form an isolated group, descended probably from the two types in question.

III 73III 72

TheVreeswijksche zandschuit(sand boat of Vreeswijck) alone remains of the Rhine boats. It has the bow of a “Dorstensche Aak” and the stern resembles that of the “Dortsche Zandschuit” (sand boat of Dordrecht). This “Dortsche Zandschuit” is alike at bow and stern and the hull is smooth. Although it is more pointed, this boat resembles the “Westerling” a little, the latter being known as a very old boat of the lepper Scheldt (see DEHEM, p. 505). The old “Dortsche Zandschuit” was especially used for dredging ballast intended for sea-going vessels.

A large number of “Bokken”, already mentioned among the “Westlanders”, are used for levelling down the dunes in the West and in the Rhine country.

III 87

The “Slijkpraam”, which resembles the “Kromme Rijnaak” already mentioned, is used in the province of Utrecht, while finally, the “Vlotpraam” or “Slijkpraam” is still met with in Groningen.

II 246

From a certain standpoint, the “Hoogeveensche Pramen”, mentioned above, which are used in the peat bottoms, should be classified in this group.

II 274II 277

The “Moddermolen” (mud mill) or “Moddermolenschip” was already found in the first half of the XVIIth century, as the forerunner of the “Baggermolen” (bucket or ladder dredge). This dredge was worked by hand at first; later on horses were used for this purpose. (LECOMTE, p. 6, and WITSEN.) A horsepower and a stable were built on the deck. In the XVIIIth century, says LECOMTE, the old “Moddermolen” was already so perfected that it was imagined that there was nothing more to improve.

Navigation, however, kept calling for greater and greater depths, so that the Kater Brothers, dredge builders at Monnikendam, were led to build, in 1829, a boat which dredged down to a depth of 7 metres. From three to six horses were used, according to the depth and compactness of the materials to be dredged.

These same builders, says LECOMTEat another place, were the inventors of the “Klepschouwen”, for which they asked the concession on May 1, 1830. LECOMTEgives an engraving of these dredges in plate 12 of his work.

J. C. KERKMEIJERrelates, in an article of theEigenhaardReview (1906), entitled “De Diep-of Baggermolen, een merkwaardige ontdekking”, that he had found the model of the dredge built by its inventor in 1632, a model which is mentioned by C. A. ABBING, in his continuation of theChronicle of Hoorn, by VELUIS(1841, p. 12), wherein it is stated:

“About this time (1632) Jan Jantz Nieng, a native-born citizen of this town (HOORN), invented the ‘diepmolens’. The firstmodel, made by him, was 2 feet 6½ inches long, 9 inches broad and 6½ inches high; the measurements being taken over all.” This model was still to be seen at the city shops at Hoorn a few years ago. The model found by Mr. Kerkmeijer was carefully repaired by him and it is preserved at the city hall of the town.

Thanks to the kind assistance of this author, a few details can still be given in regard to the “Moddermolen” of Middelbourg, called “Dieplust”. These details were received from the chief of the Kool ship yard of this town.

The “Dieplust” extracted the mud by means of a trough with low straight sides, lined at its lower end with iron. When the boat was moved, by means of a cable attached to an anchor, the lower end of the trough entered into the mud as far as it could. The ladder of the dredge was suspended inside of the trough and to its endless chain were fastened pieces of plank of about the same width as that of the trough. These pieces of plank tumbling around a hexagonal or octagonal drum at the lower end worked down into the mud of which they brought up a certain quantity and discharged it through a hole at the top of the trough.

There was no question yet of buckets to bring up the dredged materials, these having only made their appearance with steam dredges.

The trough, with the ladder, could be lowered or raised by means of a windlass; it passed through an opening which was not in the axis of the boat. In the larger half of the vessel was placed the shaft which, by means of gearings, transmitted to the ladder the movement produced by the horses. These gearings were similar to those of the old wind mills. A horse power and a stable were constructed on the deck of the boat.

The Ghent paperHet Volksbelangpublished theEigenhaardarticle in its issue of June 9, 1906. Some doubts are emitted, however, about 1632 being the authentic year of the invention, because the following annotation is found in theResolutie boek van de Staten van Vlaanderenof 1628-1630, Fo16 (Archives of the State, at Ghent.—No553):

“Actum den XXII May 1628 wierd den Ingeniaris Adam Clippens, ghemaackt hebbende den slijckmeulen, gelicentieert en de gheordonneert hem te geven ordonnantie van betalijnghe den dach van merghen mitghaders hondert guldenen voor eene vereeringhe zoo ghedaen is geweest”[25].

From which it would appear that a mechanical dredge must have been built in Flanders in 1628. Hence the year given by Abbing cannot be correct, or else the same machine might have been invented at two different places at about the same period. The question is not yet settled, but, be that as it may, it must be granted that the first mechanical dredge was at work in the XVIIth century.


Back to IndexNext