Marked thus * are also Drapers.
* Agnew David, St. John st
* Allison John, Watling st
* Chalmers Alexander, Park st
Farries Alexander, Watling st
* Grant Alexander, Mill bank
Grant William, Jarratt’s lane
Johnson Thomas, Hadley
Robison John, Millbank
* Smith William, Mill bank
* Tarbet David Kennedy, Watling st
Wilson William, Watling st
Groom Richard & Thomas, New st
Millington John, Ketley
Paterson Edward (dealer and sawyer), Mill bank
See under the head Hair Dressers.
Del Vecchio & Getti (dealers, and jewellers), New st
Ellis Samuel, New st
Shaw Joseph, New st
Winter Sam, New st
Bullock Benjamin, Wrockwardine
Bullock John, Admaston
Bullock Richard, Admaston
Corbett Thomas, King st
Dean John, Watling st
Groom Edward, New st
Millman Richard, Lawley
Mullard & Fletcher, Watling st
Baddeley Thomas, Market place
Corbett Samuel, Park st
Griffiths & Son (and locksmiths), Tan bank
Griffiths George, Dun Cow lane
Hall James, Church st
Hulett Edward, New st
Slaney John, Market st
Smith William (spirit), New st
Adney George & Edward, tanners, Park st
Beeston John W. clerk to the Shropshire Canal Company, Church st
Bellingham Wm. smallware dealer, New st
Chapman Martin, basket maker, New st
Corbett Saml. implement maker, Park st
Espley John, nurseryman, New st
Hayward Thomas, teacher of music and music seller, Church st
Heywood Charles, rope and twine maker, New st
Hickman William, New st
Hutchinson John, house agent, Park st
Jones John, umbrella maker, New st
Luckock Richard, net maker, New st
Matthews Edward, veterinary surgeon, Church st
Mawdsley George, clog and patten maker, New st
Newill Robert Daniel, coroner for the Bedford district, New st
Partridge John, second hand bookseller, New st
Poole Richard, cattle doctor, New st
Turner & Parker, clerks to the magistrates, and to the commissioners of taxes, Walker st
All Saints’ Church, Church street—Rev. Benjamin Banning,M.A.vicar; Rev. Thomas Lapp Butler, curate
St. Peter’s Church, Wrockwardine—Rev. George Lavington Yate, vicar
Christ Church, Fountain place—Rev. Thomas Lapp Butler
Baptist Chapel, Hadley
Baptist Chapel, King st—Rev. William Kay
Independent Chapel, Tan bank
Methodist(Wesleyan)Chapels, New street and Ketley
Methodist(Primitive)Chapels, Tan bank and Hadley
Roman Catholic Chapel, Mill bank—Rev. James Olliver, priest
Judge—Uvedale Corbett, Esq.
High Bailiff—Thomas William Jones
Clerk—Robert Daniel Newill, Esq.
Deputy Clerk—John Brookes
Governor—Edward Lewis
Matron—Mrs. Lewis
Chaplains—Rev. — Frend
Surgeon—Henry Haves
Clerk to the Board of Guardians—George Marcy
Returning Officer—Edward Vickers, Ketley
Assistant Overseers—Rd. Onions Park st
Superintendent—George Marcy, Walker st
Registrar of Marriages—John Barber
Registrar of Births and Deaths—William Howlet, Park st
Constabulary Police Office, Church street—John Richardson, superintendt
Dispensary, Walker st
Fire Engine Station, Church street—John Large, superintendent
Gas Works, Tan bank—Wm. Edwards and Son, proprietors
Improvement Commissioners’ Office, Walker st—William Howard Belton, inspector and surveyor
Inland Revenue Office, at the Charlton Arms, Church st—John Stamper, supervisor
Lockups, Church st
Subscription News Room, Market place—William Edwards, secretary
Town Hall & Public Rooms, Market square—Charles Woodward, proprietor and collector of market tolls
Wellington Coal & Gas Light Co. Foundry lane
ON THE SHREWSBURY AND BIRMINGHAM LINE, AND ON THE WELLINGTON AND STAFFORD BRANCH OF THE SHROPSHIRE UNION RAILWAY.
Station, Church street
To BIRMINGHAM, by the Carriers toWolverhampton.
To CHESTER, LIVERPOOL, and MANCHESTER, the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company, from Wappenshall wharf, daily, and Henshall & Co. from the same wharf, two or three times a week by Canal.
To WOLVERHAMPTON, BIRMINGHAM, and LONDON, the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Co. from Wappenshall wharf, daily by Canal.
Wemis a parish, partly in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, and extending into the hundred of Pimhill—the market town is 164 milesN.W.from London, 10N.from Shrewsbury, and the like distanceS.from Whitchurch; pleasantly situated on the road leading to the two last named towns, and near to the source of the Roden. Wem was the first town in the county which declared for the parliament in 1643: in that year a party of the king’s troops attempted to capture it by storm, but were repulsed by the small garrison, assisted, it is affirmed, by the zealous exertions of the women; and at a subsequent period, under the government of Major General Mytton, the garrison plundered the houses and possessions of the neighbouring royalists—and the booty conveyed by them into the town was the means of its flourishing more than at any antecedent period. Many of the houses are ancient structures, the more modern ones having been erected after the destructive fire in 1677, which consumed the church, market house, and whole ranges of buildings, destroying property to the amount of £23,000. The unprincipled Judge Jeffreys became possessed of this place about the year 1685, and was created Baron Wem, being the first who enjoyed that dignity by patent, but at the death of his son the title became extinct. This place is not distinguished by manufactories or any peculiar branch of trade—there are two tan-yards, several maltings and two or three corn mills in the vicinity, that belonging to Thomas Jebb, junr. is a large and powerful one driven by steam: the business here generally, however, is dependent on supplying the inhabitants, and those of the immediate neighbourhood (which is very respectable), with articles of ordinary consumption. The streets are well lighted with gas, and there are many good shops and several respectable private residences in New street. An act of parliament has been obtained for a branch from the London and North Western Railway from Shrewsbury to Crewe, which will pass through this town. The principal officers are two bailiffs, appointed annually at a court leet, held soon after Michaelmas—one by the manorial lord’s steward, and the other by the borough jury. Wem is included in the twenty seventh circuit of County Court towns, under the acts passed for the recovery of debts to any amount not exceeding £50.—the court is held monthly.
The parish church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, is a handsome edifice, with a lofty tower and fine chancel: nearly three hundred additional sittings were obtained by building two new galleries in 1840, which are free from a grant from the Society for building churches; the living is a rectory, in the gift of Lord Darlington: the present rector is the Rev. J. W. D. Merist. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Methodists, and Irvingites. The free school, here, was founded and liberally endowed, in 1653, by Sir Thomas Adams, a native of this town; it has two exhibitions to the universities, founded by Mr. Careswell. The British school, in Dark-lane, was established in 1839, partly by a government grant and partly by subscriptions; it is for children of both sexes. The national school is situated in Noble-street, and was erected at an expense of nearly £1,000. Situate a mileS.W.from Wem, is a mineral spring. The market is held on Thursday; and the fairs on the first Thursday in March, May 6th, Holy Thursday, first Thursday in June, June 29th, first Thursday in August, the last Thursday in September, and November 21st. The parish of Wem, which comprises ten townships and two chapelries, contained in 1841, 4,119 inhabitants, and in 1851, 3,747.
Preesis a parish, in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford—the village is between four and five milesN.N.E.from Wem. There are several maltings here, and a traffic in lime, coal and slate, is carried on by means of the Quinabrook canal, which passes through the parish—taken altogether, however, the trade of the place is but inconsiderable. The parish church of Saint Mary, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a tower of much later date; in the church are some specimens of tesselated pavement, and several monuments to the ancestors of General Lord Hill, who was born herein 1772: the living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the prebendary of Prees, in Lichfield Cathedral; the present incumbent is the Rev. Archdeacon Allen. Prees had formerly a market, which has long been discontinued; but two fairs are still maintained—on the second Mondays in April and October. The parish of Prees contained, in 1831, 3,335 inhabitants, in 1841, 3,270, and in 1851, 3,196; of which last number, 630 belonged to the village.
Edstastonis a chapelry, in the parish of Wem, about 2 milesN.from that town, seated on the road to Whitchurch. A branch of the Ellesmere canal passes through the village, and terminates at Quinabrook. It contains a chapel of ease, a very ancient structure, and about 400 inhabitants.
Loppingtonis a parish and village pleasantly situated about 3 milesS.W.from Wem. The church of Saint Michael is a plain ancient structure. The population of the parish in 1851, was 599.
POST OFFICE. Chapel-street,Wem, Jane Deakin,Post Mistress.—Letters from all parts arrive (fromShrewsbury) every morning at six, and are despatched at a quarter to seven in the evening.—Letters fromWhitchurcharrive every evening at a quarter to seven, and are despatched thereto at a quarter past six in the morning.—Money Orders granted and paid from nine in the morning till five in the evening.
POST OFFICE,Prees, Richard Langford,Post Master.—Letters from all parts arrive every morning at eight, and are despatched at twenty-five minutes past five in the evening.
Allen the Rev. & Venerable Archdeacon, Vicarage, Prees
Barber Mrs. Martha, Noble st
Barber Henry John, Esq. Mill st
Beetinson Charles A. Esq. Noble st
Blackley Rev. William, Hawkestone
Boote Mr. Daniel, Edstaston Hall
Boughey Mr. Joseph, Prees
Boulton Thomas, Esq. the Grove
Boulton Rev. William,M.A.High st
Bowen Miss —, Coton Hall
Bowen George, Esq. (magistrate), Coton Hall
Briscoe Mr. Elizabeth, Noble st
Broomhall Mr. Edward, Cripple st
Colley Mr. John, Lacon
Cotgrave Miss Jane, Chapel st
Deakin Mr. Henry, Soulton Hall
Dicken Mrs. Jane, Loppington House
Dicken John, Esq. Platt, Prees
Dicken William Frances, Esq. Prees
Dickin Mrs. Jane, High st
Dickin Mr. Richard Parker, High st
Dixon Rev. William, Noble st
Dobell Mrs. —, Low hill
Evans Rev. John, Whixall
Ferrett Mr. Henry, Noble st
Franklin Mr. Robert, High st
Grant Rev. Wm. Islington crescent
Gratrix Rev. Charles B. Loppington
Greenwood Mr. Abrhm. Chapel st
Huff Rev. James, Chapel st
Hill Miss —, Hardwick Grange
Hill Miss Emma, Hardwick Grange
Hill Rev. John, Citadel
Hill Sir Robert Chambre,K.C.B.Prees Hall
Hill Lord Viscount, Hawkestone
James Rev. David, Islington crescent
Johnson Mr. William, Fields, Prees
Jones Mrs. Martha, Chapel lane
Kilvert Mr. Richard, Palm’s hill
Kynaston Mrs. Frances, Noble st
Lane Mrs. Hannah, Noble st
Lee Mrs. Ann, Chapel st
Lee Henry, Esq. Chapel st
Lucas William, Esq. Noble st
Maddocks Mrs. Mary, Woodlands
Matthews Mrs. Charlotte, Cripple street
Menlove Mrs. —, Tilley
Merist Rev. J. W. D. Rectory
Minor John, B. Esq. Ashley House
Minshull Rev. Samuel, Prees
Morris Mrs. Catharine, New st
Munford Mr. Charles, Prees
Nickson Mrs. Mary, Chapel st
Oldham Capt. Charles, Tilley Lodge
Onslow Mrs. Elizabeth, Cripple st
Osburne Rev. William, Ellesmere st
Owen Wm. Esq. Shrubbery, New st
Pattison Rev. Joseph, New st
Prince Lieut. Charles, High st
Sandford Thomas Hugh, Esq. Sandford Hall
Shingler Mr. Peter, Burlton Grange
Shirley John, Esq. Prees
Smith Rev. George, Noble st
Snape Mr. Walter, Creamore grove, New street
Steward Rev. John, Edstaston House
Vaughan Robert C. Esq. Burlton
Walford John Henshaw, Esq.M.P.Roden House, Mill st
Walmsley Mr. George, High st
Wilkinson Mr. George, Prees wood
Wilkinson Mr. Thomas, Sandy lane, Prees
Williams Lady —, the Hall
Wood Thomas, Esq. Woodlands
Wrightson Captain William Ward, Prees
Not otherwise described are Day Schools
British School, Dark lane—Thos. Hickson Taylor, master; Mary Taylor, mistress
Cooke Catherine & Hannah, Noble st
Clorley James, Loppington
Foncier Maria, Noble st
Free School, Lower Heath, Prees—Robert Gothin, master; Hanh. Thomason, mistress
Grammar School, Noble st—Rev. William Boulton, master
Infants’ School, Chapel st—Mary Green, mistress
Meredith Harriet, New st
Minshull Rev. Samuel (boarding), Prees
National School, Prees—Samuel Rooks, master; Ann Jenkin, mrs
National School, Noble street—William Hart, master
National School, Loppington—Mary Ebrey, mistress
Pattison Ann & Mary (boarding & day), New st
Powell Margaret, Prees
Roberts Alfred, Quinabrook
Sandland Elizabeth, Tilley
Strutt Lydia (boarding & day), Noble st
Barker Henry John & Charles Frederick, High st
Browne Thomas Dickin, New st
Burd Jonathan, High st
Lucas William (commissioner in all courts and clerk to the magistrates), Noble st
Owen William (& commissioner to administer oaths, commissioner for affidavits, and commissioner in all the courts and superintendent registrar), Shrubbery, New st
Burd John, High st
Franklin Josiah, High st
Ashley Elizabeth, Noble st
Stockwell John, High st
Vaughan Thomas, High st
Weaver George, High st
Weaver Thomas, High st
National Provincial Bank of england, High st—(draws on the London Joint Stock Bank)—Thomas Steeple, manager
Humphreys John, Prees green
Humphreys William, Noble st
Moore Thomas, Prees
Rogers Robert, Ellesmere st
Smith John, Tilley
Smith Samuel, Tilley
Watkin Thomas, Dark lane
Williams William, Loppington
Cooke Mary, Noble st
Franklin Josiah (& printer), High st
Bannister John, Noble st
Davies Richard, Loppington
Duckers Henry, High st
Hall Richard, Quinabrook
Hewitt Henry, High st
Hewitt Richard, Noble st
Huxley John, High st
Jenkins George, High st
Jenks John, High st
Massey John David, Cripple st
Murray Thomas, Prees
Owen William, Tilley
Reeves John, Prees
Tomlins Charles (dealer), High st
Watkin Richard, Chapel st
Weaver John, High st
Wilkinson Thomas, High st
Woollam Thomas, Prees
Roberts James, Whixall house, New street, Wem
Hughes Daniel, New st
Hughes William, Noble st
Powell William, Prees
Richards William, Noble st
Tommy Jonathan, High st
(See also Joiners & Cabinet Makrs)
Francis Thomas, Noble st
Everall Thomas, Ellesmere st
Prince Frederick, Mill st
Walton Thomas, Noble st
Davies Benjamin, High st
Deakin Henry, High st
Ebray Robert, Prees
Kynaston Richard, High st
Parks John, High st
Weaver Charles, High st
Bickerton Eliza Horlick, High st
Hares Samuel & Robert (druggists), Prees
Lee Thomas, High st
Micklewright George, High st
Roberts James (and brick and tile maker, at Whixall), Edstaston
Ruscoe George & Abraham (& lime & slate merchants), Quinabrook
Drury William, Prees
Crewe Joseph, High st
(See also Tanners.)
Everall John, High st
Gough Robert, Noble st
Gough Samuel, High st
Birmingham(fire), William Lucas, Noble street
Crown(life), Henry John & Charles Frederick Barker, High st
Family Endowment Society, William Owen, Shrubbery, New st
Manchester(fire), William Owen, Shrubbery, New st
Palliadum, Thomas Steeple, High st
Pelican(life), William Owen, Shrubbery, New street
Salop(fire), George Franklin, High street
Shrewsbury(fire), Henry John & Charles Frederick Barker, High st
Franklin Josiah, High st
Green Charlotte, High st
(See also Shopkeepers,and also Tea Dealers.)
Burton Henry, High st
Hares Samuel & Robert, Prees
Heatley William, High st
Holding Richard, Prees
Ikin William, Prees
Jenkins John, High st
Kynaston Henry, High st
Lee Thomas, High st
Owen Joseph, High st
Poole George Wright, High st
Richards John, High st
Vaughan Thomas, High st
Weaver Thomas, High st
Wilkinson & Puleston, High st
Green Samuel, High st
Jenkins Richard, High st
(See also Taverns & Public Houses)
Castle, Robert Higley, High st
Lion, Thomas Ray, Prees
White Horse, Thos. Griffiths, High st
Barber John, High st
Burton Henry, High st
Hares Samuel & Robert, Prees
Kynaston Henry, High st
Beddow John, Wembrook lane
Cliff John, Edstaston
Everall Thomas, High st
Foulks Richard, Prees
Francis Thomas, Noble st
Heaton Richard, Loppington
Prince Frederick, Mill st
Walton Thomas, Mill st
Hares Samuel & Robert, Prees
Heatley William, High st
Holding Richard, Prees
Ikin William, Prees
Poole George Wright, High st
Wilkinson & Puleston, High st
Abbott William, Noble st
Cooke Joseph, Noble st
Drury William, Prees
Higley Robert, High st
Ikin William, Prees
Ray Thomas, Prees
Walmsley John, Creamore
Batho John, Cotton Steam and Windmill
Batho Stephen, Prees
Boughey John, Wem mill, Mill st
Jebb Thomas, junr.Creamore Steam Mills, near Wem
Kynaston Harriet, Loppington
Davies Eleanor, New st
Green Sarah, New st
Morris Ann, New st
Parsonage Mary, Islington row
Phillips Eliza, High st
Wilkinson Elizabeth, New st
Boulton Adam, Cripple st
Lea Thomas, High st
Parsonage Frederick, New st
Shenton William, High st
Snape George, High st
Colley Thomas, Prees
Stockall John, High st
Tomlins Charles, High st
Bickerton Eliza, High st
Newens Jane, Noble st
Richards John, High st
Aston Thomas, Loppington
Cliff John, Edstaston
Green Charlotte, High st
Hales Thomas, High st
Holding Thomas, Quinabrook
Maddox Samuel, Prees green
Saddler Ann, Edstaston
Sherratt William, New st
Simon Stephen, High st
Smith John, Tilley
Watkin Elizabeth, High st
Arthur Thomas Norway, Prees
Darlington Abraham Edward, Prees
Gwynn Edward, Noble st
Gwynn Samuel B. New st
Walmsley Thomas, Cripple st
Wilson Joseph Green, New st
Beckett Thomas, Noble st
Bennett Arthur, Prees
Butter Richard, High st
Cartwright William, Noble st
Challoner Richard, Prees
Cooke Thomas, Loppington
Davies Charles, Prees
Drury John, Noble st
Edwards John, Noble st
Jenkins Samuel, Prees
Maddox Thomas, Prees
Parsonage John, New st
Powell Joseph, New st
Price Joseph, High st
Everall John (and skinner and fellmonger), High st
Gough Robert, Noble street
Bee Hive, John David Massey, Cripple street
Black Lion, David Wilson, High st
Blacksmiths’ Arms, William Williams, Loppington
Buck’s Heart, Rebecca Snape, Mill st
Bull & Dog, Wm. Newbrook, Cotton
Bull’s Head, James Russell, High st
Canal, Thomas Cliff, Quinabrook
Corbet Arms, John Lewis, High st
Crown, Thomas Wilkinson, High st
Dicken Arms, Rebecca Kynaston, Loppington
Harp, Mary Rogers, Quinabrook
Hawkestone, Thomas Booth, Hawkestone
Hawkestone Arms, Wm. Sherratt, Islington row
Marquess of Wellington, Henry Kynaston, Edstaston
Pack Horse, Charles Brown, High st
Plough, William Edwards, High st
Shropshire Arms, Hy. Snape, High st
Talbot, Samuel Davies, High st
Vaults, Hannah Ireland, High st
Vaults, Wm. Edwards, High st
Well House, Mary Dickin, Prees
White Lion (and inland revenue office), Ann Sands, High st
Adams Henry, Loppington
Cartwright John, Noble st
Churton Joseph, Prees
Edwards Nathaniel, Mill st
Jenks John, High st
King Charles, High st
Phillips Samuel, High st
Rogers Robert, Ellesmere st
Everall Thomas, Ellesmere st
Prince Frederick, Mill st
Walton Thomas, Noble st
Burd Benjamin, High st
Jenkins John, High st
Jenkins Richard, High st
Burd Benjamin, High st
Vaughan Samuel, Prees
Butler Henry, High st
Churton Joseph, Prees
Pritchard John, High st
Darlington Abraham, Edstaston
Ruscoe George, Quinabrook
Eaton George, High st
Heaton Richard, Loppington
Hope Richard, Quinabrook
Kynaston William, Tilley
Morgan William, Prees green
Phillips Samuel, Tilley
Sands John, Quinabrook
Spencer James, Prees
Watkin John, High st
Worrall Thomas, Prees
Wycherley Richard, Castle lane
Griffiths Thomas, High st
Ireland Hannah, High st
Everall John & Thomas, High st
Askew Edward, drill sergeant, Noble st
Cooke Joseph, brewer, Noble st
Davies Saml. weighing machine keeper, High st
Edge Samuel, brazier, High st
Green John, rope maker, New st
Higley Robert, porter dealer, New st
Kay Richard, basket maker, Prees
Mason Edwd. furniture broker, Crown st
Muller Charles, musician, Prees
Owen Joseph, stay manufacturer, High st
Parbott Humphrey, cattle dealer, New st
Pollett William, skinner, Noble st
Russell Lucy, Berlin wool repository, Noble st
Salt Wm. Bates, fishmonger and fruiterer, High st
Taylor Saml. inland revenue officer, Prees
Youd Samuel, dyer, High st
St. Peter’s Church, High st—Rev. J. W. D. Merist, rector; Rev. William Grant, curate
St. Mary’s Church, Prees, Rev. Archdeacon Allen, vicar
St. Michael’s Church, Loppington—Rev. Charles B. Greatrex, curate
Chapel of Ease, Edstaston—Rev. John Steward, incumbent
Baptist Chapel, Cripple street—Rev. William Osborne
Independent Chapel, Prees—Rev. Samuel Minshall
Independent Chapel, Chapel street—Rev. Joseph Pattison
Independent Chapel, Noble street—Rev. George Smith
Independent Chapels, Hadnall and Clive—Rev. David James
Methodist(Wesleyan)Chapel, Loppington
Methodist(Primitive)Chapels, Chapel street, Quinabrook, and Prees
Irvingite Chapel, Noble st
Chairman—Sir Robert Chambre Hill
Vice-Chairman—George Bowen, Esq.
Governor—Andrew Rowley
Matron—Elizabeth Rowley
Schoolmaster—John Jeffreys
Schoolmistress—Lucy Wheeler
Chaplain—Rev. William Boulton
Surgeon—Edward Gwynn
Clerk to the Board of Guardians—Mr. William Owen
Relieving Officer—William Wheeler
Superintendent—Mr. William Owen, Shrubbery, New st
Registrar of Births,Deaths & Marriages, Thomas Vaughan, High st
County Court Office, High street—Henry J. Barker, clerk
Gas Works, High st—James Roberts, proprietor
Inland Revenue Office, at the White Lion, High st—Michl. Davidson, officer
Land and Assessed Property and Income Tax Office, High street—Mr. John Everall, assessor and collector
Market Hall, High st
New Cemetery, High st
Police Office, High st
Stamp Office, High st—Geo. Wright Poole, distributer
The nearestStationis atBaschurch, on the Shrewsbury and Chester Line, 7½ milesN.W.byN.from Shrewsbury, and about 8S.W.byW.from Wem.
AnOmnibus, from the While Lion Inn, High st, to the Station, every morning at eight.
To SHREWSBURY, Joseph Owen and Thomas Harris, from their respective houses, High st, and John Handley and William Eccleston, from Prees, Wednesday and Saturday.
To WHITCHURCH, Joseph Owen, from his house, High st, Monday and Friday.
To CHESTER, SHREWSBURY, and forward to all parts, the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company, from Edstaston wharf, daily.
Or Much Wenlock, is an ancient borough, both corporate and parliamentary, a market town and parish, and the head of a liberty, having separate jurisdiction; 148 milesN.W.from London, and 12S.E.from Shrewsbury. The town, which is situated on the Phobrook, and in a pleasant vale, is of considerable antiquity. The British name wasLlan Melien, or ‘Saint Milburgh’s Church;’ and in the Monasticon it is denominatedWinnica, or ‘the windy place.’ Its early importance originated with the establishment of a convent, about 680, by Melburga, daughter of king Merwald. Having been destroyed by the Danes, it was restored by the Earl of Mercia, after which it fell into decay. Soon after the Conquest it was rebuilt by Roger de Montgomery, and converted into a priory for Cluniac monks. The ruins are on the south side of the town; they are extensive, and present the most finished specimens of Norman architecture, together with the early and decorated English styles. Of the church, the south transept is in the most perfect state, three beautiful Norman arches, and two of the cloisters remain in good preservation. This establishment must have been extensive, and its buildings magnificent. The town consists principally of two narrow streets, some of the houses forming which are modern and respectable in appearance, and others but poorly built. The guildhall, more remarkable for its antiquity than its external beauty, is constructed of timber frame-work, resting on piazzas. This building underwent in 1849, restoration with great taste and skill, at the expense of the corporation. Two charters have been granted to this ancient borough; the first in the eighth of Edward IV, at the request of Sir John Wenlock, Knight, ‘in consideration of laudable and acceptable services performed by the liege men of the town of Wenlock.’ The second charter was granted in the reign of Charles I. Under the Municipal Reform Act, the corporate body consists of a mayor, two aldermen and six councillors. The borough is divided into three wards—namely, Wenlock Ward, Broseley Ward, and Madeley Ward. Sessions are held quarterly in the guildhall, before the recorder, and the magistrates meet here in petty sessions every sixth Tuesday. The Madeley circuit of the new County Court, includes Wenlock in its jurisdiction; the court sits monthly at the former town, and takes cognizance of debts and claims to any amount not exceeding £50. Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, Bart., is lord of the manor, and holds, by his agent, courts leet and baron, in the months of May and October. The elective franchise was conferred upon the burgesses by Edward IV, with the privilege of returning one member—the borough now sends two; those returned at the general election in 1852, were the Honble. George Cecil Weld Forester, Willey Park, Salop; and James Milnes Gaskell, Esq. Thornes House, Wakefield, Yorkshire (both re-elected). The Boundary Act defines the limits of the borough to comprise ‘the old borough of Wenlock:’ by the same act the town is appointed a polling station at the election of members to represent North Salop. In the time of Richard II, this place was noted for copper mines, and lime quarries: the former have ceased to be wrought, but the latter are still productive, and in the town are two maltings and a tannery.
The places of worship are the parish church of the Holy Trinity, and a chapel for Wesleyan Methodists. The former is a venerable structure, with a square tower surmounted by a spire; it partakes, in a remote degree, of the style of the abbey, being partly of the Norman and partly of the decorated English: the living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacies of Burton and Benthall annexed, in the gift of the lord of the manor; the Rev. William Henry Wayne, is the present incumbent, and the Rev. Nathaniel Haywood, curate. The principal charities consist of a free school, originally endowed in 1778, by the Rev. Francis Southern; and almshouses for four poor widows. There is a reading room in connection with a well-selected library, to which, also is attached, a museum, formed to illustrate the natural history and antiquities of Wenlock and its neighbourhood. The market is held on Monday; and the fairs, on the second Monday in March, and May 12th, for horned cattle, horses and sheep, and for hiring servants; July 5th, for sheep and October 17th, and December 4th, for cattle of all kinds. The parish of Much Wenlock contained, by the government returns for 1841, 2,487 inhabitants, and in 1851, 2,398.
POST OFFICE, Wilmore-street, Thomas Lawley,Post Master.—Letters fromLondonand all parts arrive (fromWellington), every morning at twenty-eight minutes before seven, and are despatched thereto at seven in the evening.
Acton Sir John Edward Emerich Dalberg, Bart. Aldenham Hall
Adney Miss Elizabeth, Barrow st
Benson Moses Geo. Esq. Lutwych Hall
Burd Rev. Alfred, Harley
Burd Rev. Frederick, Cressage
Burd Rev. Geo. Onions, Shineton
Cooper Mr. John, Barrow st
Foskett Mrs. —, Much Wenlock
Gibbons Rev. John, Harley
Harnage Sir George, Bart. Belserdine Hall
Hinton Mr. Edward, the Abbey
Haywood Rev. Nathaniel, the Grange
Moseley W. W. Esq. Buildwas Park
Mytton Thomas, Esq. Shipton Hall
Patten Mr. Richard, Barrow st
Vaughan Miss Sarah, Shineton st
Wayne Mr. William, High st
Wayne Rev. Wm. Henry, High st
Crowther George (boarding and day), Shineton st
German Jane (brdng & day), Mardol Cottage
Nicholson Elizabeth Owen (ladies’ school), Barrow st
National School, Abbey court—Thomas Martin, master; Mary Hollis, mistress; Susannah Simms, mistress of infants’ school
Blakeway & Burd, Bull ring
Boycott Richard, Spittle st
Owen John, Spittle st
Owen Thomas, Barrow st
Trevor Edward, Wilmore st
Cooper & Purton, Barrow st (draw on Williams, Deacon & Co., London)
Savings’ Bank, Bull ring—George Pritchard, treasurer; William Smith, actuary
Haynes Thomas, Spittle st
James James (& farrier), Shineton st
James John (& farrier), Shineton st
Pearce Charles, Barrow st
Roberts Robert, Harley
Yates William, Bank
Beavan John, Wilmore st
Beavan Thomas, Barrow st
Caswell William, Harley
Clayton William, Barrow st
Griffiths Joshua, Shineton st
Mason William, High st
Massey Thomas, High st
Richards Francis, Barrow st
Seabury Richard, Shineton st
Seabury Thomas, Turnpike gate
Smith John, Shineton st
Bailey John, Harley
Barnett Joseph, Spittle st
Cooper Samuel, Wilmore st
Harper William, Spittle st
Madeley Richard, High st
Boycott Richard, Spittle st
Mason Sarah, Barrow st
Poyner William John, Spittle st
Amphlett Joseph, High st
Phillips Henry, Barrow st
Horton Robert (& chemist), Spittle st
Jones Wm. (& fellmonger), Spittle st
Evans Mary, High st
Wooten George, High st
Legal & Commercial(life), William Griffiths, Barrow st
Norwich Union(general hailstorm), Robert Edmund Hartland, Barrow st
Royal Farmers’ and General(life), Joseph Rhoden, High st
Salop, William Griffiths, Barrow st
Shropshire and North Wales, R. C. Blakeway, Bull ring
Belcher Charles, Wilmore st
Bryon Ann, High st
Casuall William, Wilmore st
Hopton William, High st
Instone Thomas, Barrow st
Jones William, Spittle st
Palmer Thomas, Shineton st
Pinkstone Henry, Barrow st
Thomas Charles, High st
Trevor Edward, Spittle street and Wilmore st
Trevor Henry, Spittle street
Williams Thomas, Spittle st
Mason Sarah (& hosier), Barrow st
Moreton Francis, Spittle st
Black Lion, Thos. Beavan, Barrow st
Bull’s Head, Jerh. Aston, Spittle st
Crown, Jemima Rowe, Spittle st
Falcon, George Wheeler, High st
Feathers, Humphrey Jones, Harley
Fox, John Cooper, High st
George, Thos. Ainsworth, Spittle st
Harp, Wm. Reynolds, High st
Pheasant, Geo. Moreton, jun. Wilmore st
Plough, Mary Horton, Barrow st
Punch Bowl, Edwd. Mason, Bull ring
Raven (and inland revenue office), Robt. Edmund Hartland, Barrow st
Robin Hood, John Felteaus, the Bank
Royal Oak, Wm. Boak, Barrow st
Talbot, Alice Moreton, Spittle st
Unicorn, Richard Langford, Harley
Wheatsheaf, Benjamin Lightwood, Spittle street
Wynnstay Arms (lateWhite Hart, commercial and posting house), Joseph Rhoden, High st
Haynes Thomas, Spittle st
Mansell Thomas, Spittle st
Christopher James, Barrow st
Fox Wm. (& cabinet makr), Spittle st
Gwynn William, Harley
Cooper Jeremiah, Bank
Edwards Elizabeth, Bank
Harrington Edward, Wenlock’s edge
Harrington Francis, Wenlock’s edge
Harrington Thos. Wenlock’s edge
Jukes Thomas, Wenlock’s edge
Jukes William, the Coates
Mason Edward, Bull ring
Nicklin John, Wenlock’s edge
Onions John, Wenlock’s edge
Sheppard George, Wenlock’s edge
Bowyer M. & E. Wilmore st
Jeffreys Elizabeth, Barrow st
Johnstone Thomas, High st
Summers Thomas, Barrow st
Canlin Wm. (& hop dealer), High st
Moreton George, jun. Spittle st
Jeffrey William, Town’s Mill
Maddox John, Harley
Cooper Lettice, High st
Heaford Hannah, Barrow st
Idens Ann, Spittle st
Wilkinson Ann, St. Mary’s lane
Elmer John, High st
Share Thomas, Barrow st
Woofe John, High st
Minshall Josiah, High st
Reynolds Luke, High st
Woofe William, High st
Brookes Andrew Goode, Cressage
Brookes William P. Wilmore st
James William, High st
Bailey William, St. Mary’s lane
Johnson John, Barrow st
Johnson Thos. (& hosier), Spittle st
Tilley Wm. Sampson, Shineton st
Edwards Thomas, High st
Pearce Charles, Barrow st
Adney Geo. & Edwd. tanners, Shineton st
Almshouses, Shineton st
Ashton John, beer retailer, the Bank
Burd George, clerk to the magistrates, Bull ring
Corn Market and Agricultural Library, Spittle st—Mr. William P. Brookes; secretary; Mr. George Burd, treasurer; Mr. Edwin Yardley, librarian
Evans Mary, straw bonnet mkr, Spittle st
Guild Hall, Wilmore st
Hartland Robert Edmund, collector of assessed taxes, Raven Inn, Barrow st
Hinton Edward, agent to Sir Watkin Williams Wynne, the Abbey
Inland Revenue Office, at the Raven Inn Barrow st—Charles Barratt, supervisor
James John, farrier, Shineton st
James William A. registrar of births and deaths
Lawley Thomas, bookseller & printer, Wilmore st
Nicholson Martha, tea dealer, Barrow st
Onions Thomas, beer retailer, Shineton st
Nicholson Martha, tea dealer, Barrow st
Palmer Thomas, nail maker, Shineton st
Stamp Office, Spittle street—Henry Trevor, sub-distributer
Wheeler John, watch maker, High st
Yardley Edwin, cooper, High st
Yates Thomas, hair dresser, Spittle st
To SHREWSBURY, theBritish Queen, from the Wynnstay Arms, every Saturday morning at eight.
The nearestStationis atWellington, on the Birmingham and Shrewsbury line—about ten milesN.N.E.from Wenlock.
To BRIDGNORTH, John Jones and William Clayton, from their houses, every Saturday.
To SHREWSBURY, Jeremiah Aston, from the Bull’s Head, Wednesday and Saturday, and Richard Nicklin, from his house, Mon. Thurs. and Saturday