RELIGIOUS INTELLIGENCE.
ANTI-SLAVERY DEPUTATION, FROM THE UNITED STATES TO EUROPE.
We have great pleasure in informing our readers, that the Rev. Dr. Cox, Professor of Theology at Auburn seminary, in the state of New York, has been deputed by the Executive Committee of the American Anti-slavery Society to visit Europe, in conjunction with the Rev. Joshua Leavitt, the talented editor of the New York Evangelist,for the purpose of effecting a union of the abolitionists of the two Continents, in efforts to extinguish slavery and the slave trade throughout the world. Dr. Cox is already well known to the Christian public of this country by his previous visit. His distinguished companion enjoys the reputation among Christians of all denominations in the United States. The paper he so ably conducts stands first among the religious journals of his country. These gentlemen are expected in London the beginning of this month; and we are informed that, as soon after their arrival as possible, the Committee of theBRITISH AND FOREIGN SOCIETY FOR THE UNIVERSAL ABOLITION OF SLAVERY AND THE SLAVE TRADEwill convene a public meeting to receive them, of which due notice will be given.
To the Christian philanthropist it will afford the greatest satisfaction to learn, that the glorious cause of emancipation is rapidly advancing to its consummation in the United States. "The peopleare rousing—the pulpits are opening—the cities are shaking—the press is speaking—the Congress is acting; and, soon, the topic of slavery will be the text of the clergyman—the theme of the patriot—and the subject of prayer and exertion of the philanthropist and the Christian." Thus writes a distinguished individual from America, whose labours have been eminently blessed in this field of Christian benevolence. May the Lord hasten the time when every yoke shall be broken, and the oppressed in every land shall go free!
PREMIUM OFFERED FOR A PRIZE ESSAY ON THE LOVE OF MONEY.
It is the opinion of many of the wisest and best of men, that the besetting sin of professors of christianity isthe love of money; and yet, there is no subject on which so little has been written well. The late Andrew Fuller says, "It will, in all probability, prove the eternal overthrow of more characters among professing people, than any other sin; because it is almost the only crime which can be indulged, and a profession of religion at the same time supported."
One Hundred Guineas, besides the profits of its publication, will be presented to the author of the best essay on this subject. Preference will be given to the most spiritual, poignant, and affectionate appeal to the judgment and consciences of those who professedly recognize the authority of revelation, on avaricious hoarding, and unchristian-like expenditure, to gratify the lust of the eye, and pride of life, whilst they avow their obligations to redeeming mercy, and profess that themselves, and all they have, is not their own, but belongs, and must be accounted for, to Him who has said, "Occupy till I come," and then "Give an account of thy stewardship, for thou mayest be no longer steward." The work wanted, is one that will bear upon selfishness, as it leads to live to ourselves, and not for God and our fellow-men.
It is requested that reference may be made to the different estimates of man who blesseth, and of God, who abhorreth, the covetous (Ps. x. 3); and to the tremendous consequences of this sin, which is associated with the vilest of crimes which exclude from the kingdom of heaven. (Eph. v. 5.) The manuscript is to be sent to Dr. Conquest, 13, Finsbury Square, on or before the 1st of November, 1835; with a sealed letter, containing the address of the writer. The Hon. and Rev. Baptist Noel and the Rev. Dr. Pye Smith have kindly engaged to be the arbitrators. The reward will be adjudged on the 1st of May, 1836.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BAPTIST CHURCH, KEIGHLEY, YORKSHIRE.
The Baptists were first introduced into Keighley by a Mr. John Town, who was a member of the Baptist church at Haworth, under the care of the venerable and Rev. Miles Oddy. Keighley was at that time beginning to be a large and populous place. The clergyman in the establishment was an irreligious character, and the Independent church and congregation were nearly extinct.
At first the ministers were permitted to preach in the Independent meeting-house; but after some time a Mrs. Sunderland offered her house, until Mr. Town could fit up a room for constant worship. The ministers who kindly assisted in the formation of the infant cause were, Messrs. Steadman, D. D., Shuttleworth, Trickett, and Shaw.
In the year 1809, or 1810, four persons were baptized by Mr. Shuttleworth, pastor of the church at Cowlinghill: and on the third of June, 1810, a large upper room in the house of Mr. Town was opened for worship by Mr. Shepherd, from Bradford, who preached on this occasion from Solomon's Song, vi. 10. The congregation increased; others were baptized; and in the year 1812 the church was formed. In 1813 it was deemed necessary to erect a chapel. A piece of ground was provided by Mr. Town; and on Easter Monday, 1813, the first stone was laid; but the chapel was not opened until the 29th of March, 1815; when Mr. Lister, of Liverpool, Mr. Stephens, of Rochdale, and the venerable Dr. Steadman, of Bradford, were engaged. At this period the church consisted of eighteen members. The chapel cost something more than £990; and will seat about 615 persons.
The first pastor of the church was Mr. Joseph Shaw, who came to Keighley in 1814. During the years 1816, 1817, and 1818, little is said: but in 1819 the members amounted to 33; and some uneasiness originating with a part of the church and the minister, a separation took place, and a new chapel was erected by the party attached to Mr. Shaw, at Slacklane, from two to three miles from Keighley. This circumstance left the church at Keighley very small, and greatly diminished the congregation.
In 1820 Mr. Thomas Blundell took the oversight of the people in the Lord. The members again numbered 32. In 1824 a large portion of the debt was removed; soon after which, the pastor was taken ill, and on July 1st, 1824, resigned his spirit into the hands of Him who gave it. During this year four members were also removed to the world of spirits; among whom were Mr. Town and his wife, who died within ten days of each other; and whose remains were deposited in the burial-ground adjoining the chapel; and to whose memory a handsome tombstone has been erected by the family.
These strokes of mortality appear to have been sanctified—a spirit of prayer has been excited—and a morning prayer-meeting established to seek divine direction in the choice of a pastor. And on Sunday, Aug. 15th, 1824, the present pastor, Mr. Abraham Nichols, then under the care of Dr. Steadman, and a member of the church at Rawden, under the care of Mr. Hughes, preached his first sermons at Keighley, and baptized two persons at Turkeymill. From this time his visits to Keighley became frequent; and on the first of November, he received an invitation to become pastor. On the 30th of January, 1825, he accepted the invitation, and preached from Rom. xv. 30, to the end.
Things now began to wear rather an animating appearance. Some gentlemen were at the expense of fitting up a baptistry; and Mr. Jos. Town, youngest son of the above-mentioned Mr. Town, presented the minister with a Bible and hymn book for the pulpit. This gentleman is a deacon of the Baptist church at Leeds, under the care of the Rev. J. Acworth, A.M.
A subscription was also entered into for the liquidation of the debt upon the chapel; and on the 25th of December, 1825, the friends, at the close of two sermons by Mr. Stephens of Rochdale, realized the sum of £166 0s. 6d., including £30 each from the two Mr. Towns, £15 from a sister, and £10 from a brother-in-law; with many other equally noble sums, according to the ability of the parties.
On the 15th of August, 1826, Mr. Nichols was ordained, when Mr. Mann, late of Mazepond, London, stated the nature of a gospel church; Mr. Hughes offered the ordination prayer; Dr. Steadman delivered the charge, from 2 Sam. x. 12; and Mr. Godwin addressed the church, from 1 Thess. v. 12, 13.
In 1829 the singing gallery was altered, and the bottom of the chapel pewed; also, a very substantial and convenient house was built for the minister, which cost about £260, towards the expense of which there was £188 (duty off) left as an endowment by J. Holmes, Esq., of Stanbury, near Haworth, and which could be appropriated to no purpose but for the advantage of the minister.
In 1830, the burial-ground having been enlarged on each side, a portion of the debt was removed.
In 1834 and 1835, the ground was again enlarged, by the addition of 312 yards; and a new school-room erected, towards which, including a grant through the British and Foreign School Society, the subscriptions and collections, &c., have amounted to about £220.
The Sabbath-school contains near 100 children; the congregation, including 91 families or parts of families, will average from 300 to 400; the number of members, near 70.
The following persons have been deacons of the church, viz.:
John Beadley, who died July 20th, 1827; funeral sermon from 1 Cor. vii. 29, 30. Jonas Rhodes, who died Oct. 11th, 1832. Samuel Clapham, who died March 24th, 1833. (There is a short account of each of the two latter in the Baptist Tract Magazine, for 1833.) Joseph Milner, who died April, 1834; and who had been deacon from the formation of the church.
The present deacons are,—Mr. John Town, Turkey-Mills; Mr. Joseph Laycock, Knowl; and Mr. Joseph Hall, North-street.
STATE OF THE BAPTIST INTEREST AT LYNN.
From our personal knowledge of Mr. Poile, and of the circumstances of the following case, we respectfully recommend the perusal of it to all who feel the necessity, and who are in any measure enabled to assist in the support of a sound evangelical exhibition of the unsearchable riches of Christ.
W. H. Murch, Stepney College.W. Brock, St. Mary's, Norwich.
It is extensively known that the Baptist interest at Lynn Regis has been for many years in a depressed condition—a fact which has been much deplored by the friends of the denomination on the spot, and by those who have been acquainted with the circumstances of the case. In presenting it to the notice of the friends of the Redeemer, with the hope of securing their Christian sympathies and assistance, a brief outline of the case will not be deemed unnecessary.
The Baptist church at Lynn appears to have been formed about the year 1760, by Mr. Chesterton, who was succeeded in the pastoral office by the Rev. W. Richards, M.A., and afterwards by Mr. Durrant, who gratuitously laboured among the people for several years. The place of worship, occupied until nearly the close of Mr. Durrant's ministry, was a small hired chapel in Broad-street, which was afterwards purchased. About this time it was deemed advisable by the friends to erect a new meeting-house; and for this purpose a piece of land was bought adjoining the old place. The purchase of the ground and the erection of the building, capable of seating 300 persons, amounted to £1269 8s.; to the reduction of which, Messrs. Durrant and Brindley gave £200 each; £47 16s. were collected in Lynn; leaving a debt on the place of £821 12s. The pulpit having been occupied for a short period by different ministers, the church was induced to invite one of respectable talents to become their pastor, whose connexion with them, in consequence of his adoption of doctrinal errors, extended to no longer a period than twelve months. During that period a large and respectable congregation was attracted; the greater part of whom, however, having imbibed the errors which have been referred to, left the place with the minister, and erected a Socinian chapel; thus giving occasion for regret, not only that error was propagated, but by those to whom the Baptist cause was looking for support. From that period to the present many efforts have been made to revive the cause; and the debt, in 1812, by means of an appeal to the friends at Lynn, Dereham, Yarmouth, and Norwich, was reduced to £702 9s. A great variety of ministers have laboured, with more or less success, some of whom are now occupying important stations in different parts of the country.
A combination of causes occasioned the removal of many, apparently well suited to raise the interest; but that which seems more than any thing else to have deprived the church and town of the labours of devoted servants of Christ, was thelegalandpecuniaryembarrassments of the place. It will easily be conceived that, amidst events thus adverse, the church was frequently threatened with extinction, and the cause nearly given up for lost by those who hoped even against hope.
In September, 1832, the writer of this article acceded to the request of the church to pay them a visit, by the advice of his tutors, and received, at the expiration of a month, an unanimous invitation to spend a longer period, with a view to a settlement. An assurance that the legal difficulties would speedily be settled, and the hope that his labours might be blessed, induced him to comply. Various efforts were made to hasten this, without avail, until July, 1833, when it was thought by the friends generally, that it would be much to the advantage of the cause if a new place could be erected in a more eligible part of the town; and it was determined, by the advice of the Rev. W. H. Murch, president of Stepney College, to ascertain its practicability. The smallness, however, of the resources at home, and the promises from abroad, rendered such an attempt unjustifiable; so that nothing could be done, but either to use every effort to secure the old place, or to give up the cause entirely. The former step was finally decided on; and the writer consented to struggle, with the church, until a faithful God should answer the prayers of his people. After much trouble and anxiety, thelegalbusiness was settled on February 19th, 1835, and £100 was paid, which had been collected in the town. Lord's-day, 21st, was held as a day of thanksgiving, and the season improved by sermons from Ps. cxv. 1, and Ps. cxviii. 25. It was a day that will long be remembered by many present.
The number in the church in 1832 was 30; since that time 27 have been baptized, to whom several others expect shortly to be added, who are affording proofs that they have given themselves to the Lord. The congregation is now good, and harmony prevails in the church. There is a Sunday school of 250 children, an adult class, two Bible classes, and an ecclesiastical history class. On Friday, March 6, the foundation-stone of a Sunday school-room, 44 ft. by 34 ft. (to be used also as a day-school), was laid by Mr. Wilson, missionary of the Sunday School Union. The cost of the building will be £170, of which £60 have been collected, principally in Lynn; and it is earnestly hoped that the friends of scriptural education will give their generous aid towards so desirable an object amidst 15,000 inhabitants. The necessity of repairing and cleaning the chapel, to make ittenantable, will be obvious when it is stated, that scarcely any thing has been done to it since it was built, 26 years ago. To do this, and render it commodious, will require upwards of £200. The debt which the friends will be obliged to remove as speedily as possible, so as to be able to carry on the cause, is £500, leaving a mortgage on the place of £600, at 4 per cent., the interest of which the rents of property will nearly meet.
As nothing now appears needful to render the Baptist cause at Lynn, under the Divine blessing, a useful and respectable interest, but the united aid of the friends of the Redeemer, it is earnestly hoped that a faithful statement of facts will not only meet the eye of those who have it in their power to assist, but that the evilso muchandso greatlyto be deprecated—a minister leaving his people to travel for money, may in this case be dispensed with; and that, instead of the cause at Lynn being a matter of deep regret to the Christian church, it may become a praise in the earth.
W. F. Poile.