Postscript

Albert Park, formerly the site of Albert BarracksJ. H. Kinnear, Photo.

Albert Park, formerly the site of Albert BarracksJ. H. Kinnear, Photo.

The most serious wreck of this period connected with the Port of Auckland was the disaster which overtook the Huddart-Parker steamerElingamite(2585 tons), which was totally wrecked on the Three Kings, while on a voyage from Sydney to Auckland, on November 9th, 1902. The vessel, which was travelling slowly on account of a verythick fog, had no warning of her danger, and when she struck, the engines were reversed without delay, but she had stuck fast. The boats and rafts were immediately launched, and all aboard, except the captain and chief steward, were taken off. Only one boat, however, reached the mainland, while others managed to make the Big King and the Middle King. The survivors on these islands underwent some hardships, until rescued by the steamerZealandia, which had been intercepted by the master of a whaling boat, who conveyed the news of the disaster to the captain of that vessel. Later a raft was picked up by H.M.S.Penguin, but only eight out of sixteen found on it were alive. The survivors had undergone four days of terrible sufferings. One boat load of passengers was completely lost without trace. The total number of lives lost through the wreck was forty-nine.

A shipwreck of a more local character was the disaster which overtook theKapanuiinside the Heads on December 23rd, 1905. About nine o’clock in the evening the coastal steamerKapanui, on its homeward voyage from Waiwera, wasrammed by another coaster, theClaymore, outward bound, between Devonport wharf and North Head. TheKapanuisunk in a few minutes, five persons being drowned. The collision was due primarily to theKapanui’sport light becoming extinguished, but the Court of Inquiry also found fault with the captain’s handling of the vessel.

Another coastal steamer, theKia-Ora, while voyaging to Onehunga, was wrecked at Kawhia, on June 13th, 1907. Captain J. C. Blacklock and two passengers were drowned.

An unusual shipping accident occurred in the Calliope Dock on November 27th, 1906, during the docking of the Shaw, Savill and Albion Company’s steamerMamari(7062 tons), which resulted in the death of two men by drowning, and the injuring of thirty others. The accident was caused by the vessel lurching suddenly while there was still six feet of water in the dock. This unexpected movement of the ship sent the water swirling in the dock, taking men and loose timber with it, and causing the casualties stated. The ship had to be refloated without delay, as theposition she had got into was extremely dangerous.

Another Huddart-Parker liner, theWimmera(3021 tons), was sunk on June 26th, 1918, off North Cape, after striking a submerged mine. At the time of the disaster she was on a voyage from Auckland to Sydney. After the explosion the life-boats were lowered, and five of them got safely away. One of the boats (No. 4) was stoved in against the ship, and most of its complement perished. Altogether, ten passengers and sixteen of the crew, including Captain R. J. Kell, were drowned.

The city’s municipal progress in the last twenty years has been most marked. The Corporation’s motto, “Advance,” appears to have been kept in mind and lived up to, and in no direction was this activity more noticeable than in the city’s streets. In 1902 Auckland possessed only one paved street; there are now thirty-three streets laid in either asphalt, wood blocks, or concrete, as well as a large number of macadamised roads. The failure of a supply of good road metal retarded Auckland’s progress in road making, but the substitution of concrete has had successful results, andthe Council has given authority for a large number of streets to be laid in this material, and the work is now being proceeded with. Another project which has engaged the attention of the Corporation was the widening of narrow streets, in order to carry the increased traffic which now passes over them. The improvements are most apparent on the waterfront, where the co-operation of the Harbour Board was obtained, and the largest and most costly undertaking of this class of work was the scheme known as the eastern outlet. This work necessitated the purchase of all properties between Beach Road and Jermyn Street, the widening of the first named from 66 feet to 110 feet, and the laying down of a new thoroughfare, named Anzac Avenue, 84 feet wide, from Beach Road to Lower Symonds Street. The making of this new highway was commenced in 1915, and the trams commenced running on it in February, 1921.

Auckland, from the North Shore

Auckland, from the North Shore

Auckland from the Ferry Buildings looking EastwardShowing the wharves, Quay Street and Kings Drive (recently reclaimed). Devonport and Rangitoto on the left

Auckland from the Ferry Buildings looking EastwardShowing the wharves, Quay Street and Kings Drive (recently reclaimed). Devonport and Rangitoto on the left

The opening, in 1910, of the Grafton Bridge, which is constructed in ferro-concrete, and is notable as having the longest three-hinged arch in the world, was another important undertaking,which provided easy access to the Hospital and Domain, and linked up Parnell and Newmarket with the western districts of the city.

The provision of parks in, and adjacent to, the city was another feature of this time. At the beginning of the period the only parks in the city were the Domain (194 acres), Albert Park (14 acres), and Western Park (6 acres). In 1901, on completion of the reclamations, Victoria Park (18 acres) was leased from the Harbour Board, and has been formed into an excellent sports and recreation ground, containing a children’s playing area, which has recently been equipped by Mr. John Court. Point Erin Park, Ponsonby (12 acres) was acquired ten years later, and soon after the amalgamation of Parnell with the city, the Corporation acquired the Gillies property and “Kilbryde,” formerly the residence of the late Sir John Logan Campbell, which adjoined. These two properties united were opened in 1915 and named Parnell Park (9 acres). In the same year Myers Park (6 acres) was opened. This park, which was presented by Mr. (afterwards the Hon.) A. M. Myersin 1913, was originally an unsightly gully, overgrown with weeds; it has been transformed into a delightful and useful reserve, where one was much needed. At a later date Mr. Myers erected in the park (which has been equipped especially for children’s play) a free kindergarten. The building, which was designed by Messrs. Chilwell and Trevithick, and built by Messrs. Johns and Sons, was formally opened by the Governor, Lord Liverpool, on November 15th, 1916. Its cost, exclusive of equipment, was £5666. Three other parks, which lie outside the city boundary, on the shores of the Manukau Harbour, were also added to the city’s reserves by the generosity of various donors. Cornwallis Park (1927 acres) was bequeathed under the will of the late J. Mitchell McLachlan in 1911; Atkinson Park (30 acres) was the gift of the late H. W. Atkinson, two years later; and Kaiterakihe Park (761 acres) was presented by Mr. Wesley Spragg in 1918. Waiatarua Park (156 acres) is another large reserve, undeveloped at present, which the Council acquired by purchase, with a view to the future needs of the city.

Another form of recreation which the city has made provision for is swimming, and up-to-date outdoor baths have been erected at Shelly Beach (150ft. × 60ft.), and at Point Resolution, Parnell (194ft. × 149ft.). The former was opened in 1912 and the latter in 1914. The Hobson Street Tepid Baths, which are indoor baths, were constructed at a cost of £10,673 by Messrs. J. T. Julian and Sons, and were opened on December 17th, 1914. There are two ponds (100ft. × 50ft. and 60ft. × 30ft.), as well as private baths, dressing rooms, laundry, etc.

Some large engineering works have also been carried out during these years. The Waitakere dam, which stores 220,000,000 gallons of water, was finished in 1906. Two other reservoirs are under construction at Nihotupu, the upper designed to contain 69,000,000 gallons of water, and the main dam 540,000,000 gallons. The smaller dam is expected to be completed shortly, and the large one in 1923. A comprehensive scheme of drainage and sewerage for the city and suburbs was started on 25th October, 1909, and the main outfall works were opened on March 25th, 1914.The work of linking up other districts has proceeded during the following years. Electrical supply for power and lighting was taken in hand by the Corporation in 1906, and the first supply was given from Freeman’s Bay in 1908. Since that date the department has grown considerably, although the war interfered with the supply of material and delayed the development of the scheme. An idea of the present extent of the undertaking may be formed from the fact that for the year ending 31st March, 1921, 10,496,060 units were sold, the revenue being £108,734. The electric tramway system was inaugurated on 24th November, 1902, powers having been given to a company for this purpose. The City Council took over the concern on July 1st, 1919. There are at present twenty-seven miles of lines and 154 cars in commission. For the year ending 31st March, 1921, the cars carried 45,820,939 persons.

Other activities which engaged the attention of the Council were the erection of new abattoirs at Westfield (opened in 1909), and large new city markets, which were completed in 1917 and 1918.The Corporation also entered the fish trade, opening markets and providing trawlers to catch fish, and, besides supplying the trade, it retails this food at its own shop. The figures of last year’s working indicate the extent of this business. The total weight of fish received from all sources was 1040 tons, the sales amounting to £49,758.

The provision of houses by the municipality was commenced in 1915, when six houses were erected in Ponsonby. A larger scheme of dwellings, to be erected on the old abattoir site at Grey Lynn, was proposed in 1918, but, owing to financial difficulties, it could not be carried out. As an instalment of the proposal, ten cottages have been built on this site up to the present.

The Town Hall, with the Sir George Grey Statue

The Town Hall, with the Sir George Grey Statue

The erection of the Town Hall, which commenced in 1908, was significant of the position which the municipality had now attained. The question of a Town Hall had been under consideration from 1880, but until this time the Council had not been in a position to do anything. Prior to the opening of the Town Hall, the Council’s staff had no settled headquarters, the first Council officesunder the present constitution being located in rooms over Messrs. Upton and Co.’s book shop, Queen Street. As the Council’s affairs increased, further accommodation was found necessary, and the old Magistrate’s Court, at the corner of High and Chancery Streets, was obtained to meet the requirements. After the opening of the Public Library and Art Gallery, the Council utilised some of the rooms in this building as municipal chambers, and here the Council’s work was carried on until the Town Hall was ready for occupation.

The foundation stone of the Town Hall was laid by the Mayor, Mr. A. M. Myers, on the 24th February, 1909, and the building was opened by the Governor, Baron Islington, on the 14th December, 1911, Mr. C. J. Parr, Mayor, presiding at the ceremony which took place in the large hall. The festivities connected with the opening continued for a week, concerts, organ recitals, oratorios, and the annual reunion of the Old Colonists’ Association being held in the new hall. The building was designed by Messrs. J. J. and E. J. Clark, of Melbourne, and the contractors were Messrs. Fergusonand Malcolm, of Auckland, whose contract for the work was £87,565.

The building is divided into two portions, one being devoted to administrative purposes, including the Council Chamber, and the other comprising the halls, of which there are two, with a supper room and ante-rooms. The large hall has seating accommodation for 2700, and the orchestral platform and chorus galleries can seat 350 performers. The Concert Chamber has seating capacity for 880 persons.

At the opening ceremony the Mayor formally acknowledged two splendid gifts, which had been made to the citizens and erected in the Town Hall. These were the pipe organ, the gift of Mr. Henry Brett, and the clock, which was presented by Mr. A. M. Myers.

The finances of the city show clearly the present position of municipal affairs, and the development which has been made in the last two decades. The city’s annual valuation in 1901 was £349,765; to-day it stands at £1,497,095. The Council’s revenue at the same date was £1,077,047, compared with £82,657 twenty years ago.

The spirit of civic progress was not confined to the municipal authority for the Harbour Board also embarked upon a huge programme of work, which is still going on, and which has completely transformed the waterfront, making it one of the most up-to-date ports in Australasia. It even permeated to individuals, as the record of benefactions amply demonstrates. Some of these benefactions have already been mentioned, but others remain to be described.

Mrs. E. A. Mackechnie, who died on November 7th, 1902, bequeathed by direction of her deceased husband, to the Auckland Institute and Museum the sum of £2500, of which £2000 was to endow a library and £500 to purchase cases of animals. A similar amount, £2500 was left to the Auckland Society of Arts to erect a gallery. The Institute received also by this bequest the late Mr. Mackechnie’s library.

The Leys Institute was founded by the will of the late William Leys, who died on the 5th October, 1899. The funds available being inadequate for the early realisation of the testator’s benevolentpurpose, Mr. Thomson W. Leys, a brother of the deceased, and one of his trustees, offered to defray one-half of the entire cost of erecting and equipping a building, and to furnish the institution with a library, on condition that the Corporation provided a suitable site. This condition was readily agreed to by the City Council, and on the 29th March, 1905, the institution was officially opened by the Mayor, the Hon. E. Mitchelson. Mr. R. M. Watts was the architect, and the cost of erecting and equipping the building, exclusive of books, was £3234. The Leys Institute consists of a reference library and reading room, a lending department, boys’ room and recreation rooms. The course of winter lectures and entertainments has been a feature of its work since the commencement. The gymnasium has recently been converted into a large boys’ hall, probably the largest boys’ institute in the Dominion. Mr. T. W. Leys has been president of the institute since its inception, and its success is due mainly to his personal interest and benefactions.

Charitable institutions were also fortunate in theassistance they received from benefactors. By the will of the late William Arrowsmith, who died in 1902, a sum of about £23,000 was bequeathed, in equal parts, to the Orphans’ Home and Mrs. Cowie’s Women’s Home.

Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Smith presented in March, 1907 to the Hospital Board a property at Russell Crescent, Ellerslie, containing over three acres and a two-storey dwelling, formerly the home of the donors, for the purpose of founding a convalescent home for women and children, which was named the Alexandra Convalescent Home. At the time the gift was made the estate was valued at about £5000.

A number of Auckland institutions benefited by the will of Mrs. Knox, widow of the late Charles Knox, both pioneers, who arrived in New Zealand in the ’forties. Mrs. Knox died on the 19th October, 1908, bequeathing £70,000 to charities, including £20,000 for the erection of a building for the treatment of poor people suffering from incurable diseases. This institution, which bears the donor’s name, is situated at Tamaki.

The Leslie Presbyterian Orphanage was opened on the 21st October, 1911, although the bequest of £3485 of Mr. James Leslie, the founder of the institution, was made known at his death on 15th November, 1888. For some years after the date of the bequest the trustees did not feel justified in erecting a building, on account of the small sum at their disposal, but with the addition of £1000 bequeathed by Mrs. Birrell, and the bequest of Mrs. Knox of £500, they decided to carry out the original testator’s will. The home, which is situated on the harbour at Meadow Bank, was designed by the late E. Bartley, the builder being Mr. O. E. Farrow.

The Auckland Exhibition of 1913, which was officially opened on 1st December, 1913, by the Governor, the Earl of Liverpool, was a striking proof of the commercial and industrial advancement of the city and province. The opening ceremony was attended by a most representative gathering, including the Prime Minister (Rt. Hon. W. F. Massey), members of Parliament, and mayors and municipal representatives from thewhole Dominion. On the Governor’s arrival at the Exhibition grounds, he was received by Mr. George Elliot, chairman, and members of the Exhibition Executive, the Mayor of Auckland (Mr. C. J. Parr), and others. In the evening the Corporation gave a banquet to the distinguished visitors, at which the Mayor presided. In this manner the exhibition was inaugurated. The exhibition grounds occupied an area of 48 acres of the Domain, and the cost of erecting the buildings and laying out the grounds was £30,000.

Generally, the exhibition was run on conventional lines, being principally of an industrial and commercial character. Special features were introduced as far as Auckland was concerned, the principal one being the engagement of the Band of the Royal Regiment of Artillery of 45 performers, under the command of Captain N. P. R. Preston, with Mr. C. E. Stretton, musical director, this being the first occasion on which one of the great regimental bands of the British Army had visited New Zealand. The enterprise shown in bringing out the Royal Artillery Band was repaidby the financial success which resulted, due in great measure to this attraction. The amusements provided in the exhibition, while not new to Auckland, were on a larger scale than had hitherto been attempted, and occupied 15 acres, named Wonderland Park. The art section contained a collection of 600 paintings, etc., collected and brought out to New Zealand from London by Mr. John Baillie, formerly of Wellington. The illumination by electricity of the buildings and grounds by night was another interesting and beautiful feature.

The exhibition remained open till April 18th, 1914, and during the four and a half months of its life it was estimated that 870,000 people visited it. From the social and business aspects the exhibition was a great success, and after expenses had been met a sum of £21,758 remained as profit. It had previously been decided that any surplus accruing from the exhibition should be used in beautifying the Domain, and this sum of money has since been expended on improvements carried out on the outer Domain, including the laying-out of paths, flower beds, playing areas, and the erection of the winter-garden, which stands on the site of one of the exhibition buildings. The tea kiosk and the bandstand, near the main drive, are permanent survivals of the exhibition.

The principal officials were: Mr. George Elliot, chairman of executive; Messrs. Bamford and Pierce, architects; Mr. E. A. Pearce, supervisor of buildings, etc.; and Mr. W. R. Holmes, manager. Mr. Holmes, it is interesting to note, had filled the same position in the exhibition of 1898-9.

Another banking establishment was added to the number of these institutions in 1913, the Commercial Bank of Australia opening a branch in Shortland Street in October of that year, but later the business was removed to premises in Queen Street.

The principal overseas shipping of the port was brought up to 1909 in the previous section. For the two following years Auckland did not receive much consideration as a port of call for the trans-Pacific steamers, but in 1911 the Union Company reinstated Auckland as the way port in the Sydney-Vancouver service, theMarama(6437 tons) taking up the run, and arriving at Auckland on August5th. TheMakura(8200 tons) and theZealandia(now thePaloona, 2771 tons) were also commissioned for this service. In April, 1913 theNiagara(13,415 tons) replaced theZealandia, and theMaramawas withdrawn in July, 1914, since when theNiagaraandMakurahave maintained the running between Australia and Canada.

The P. & O. Company established a service to New ZealandviaSuez Canal in 1910, the Mongolia arriving in Auckland on November 23rd. With the sailing of theMacedonia, on April 12th, 1913, the service was discontinued.

The latest line of steamers to inaugurate a New Zealand service is the Canadian Government Merchant Marine, Ltd., the first steamer of this line to reach Auckland being theCanadian Raider, which arrived on 3rd April, 1920. The undertaking is interesting, having been created by the Canadian Government with the purpose of extending the commerce of that dominion. The steamers, which are designed to carry general and refrigerated cargo, number seventy, and trade to all parts of the worldviathe Atlantic and Pacific oceans, monthly callsbeing made at Auckland, where the head office for Australasia is situated. The marine service is worked in conjunction with the Canadian National and Grand Trunk railway systems.

The inter-colonial service has been carried on regularly by the Huddart-Parker and the Union lines, while the latter has practically gained a monopoly of the inter-provincial and the Island services.

Photograph of Auckland taken from a seaplane, showing the City’s position between the two harbours, the Waitemata in the front and the Manukau in the backgroundW. A. Waters, Photo.

Photograph of Auckland taken from a seaplane, showing the City’s position between the two harbours, the Waitemata in the front and the Manukau in the backgroundW. A. Waters, Photo.

An industrial disturbance, which ended in a general strike, paralysing the trade of the Dominion, occurred at the end of 1913. The trouble began with the miners in 1912, but the strikes of the Wellington shipwrights and the Huntly miners, which took place simultaneously in October, 1913, brought out other trades, including the waterside workers, and for some weeks the commerce and industry of the Dominion were at a standstill. Even the city trams ceased running. After a fortnight, free labour became available and rapidly grew in extent. Within a month the city became normal. One of the features of the strike was the introduction of special police, who were enlisted to protectthe free labourers. The Auckland special police included over 800 mounted men, who camped in the Domain. Although feeling between the unionists and the strike-breakers ran high, there was no conflict at any time.

During the following years there were a number of industrial disputes, but in the war period strikes were not resorted to. The “go-slow” policy was, however, introduced during the later stages of the war, and caused considerable inconvenience. In 1919 the strike reappeared and coal supplies became so short that public conveniences, such as gas and electricity, were affected, and their curtailment became frequent. The railway services were also affected, only the briefest time-tables being carried out. In 1920 complete suspension of both trams and gas supplies occurred, owing to lack of fuel. On two occasions the trams ceased running—from January 31st to February 13th, and from September 25th to October 11th. Almost simultaneously with the second suspension of the trams the gas supply was entirely stopped, the period being from September 30th until October 14th.

Another strike, which was not appreciated by the public, was the butchers’ strike, which lasted from November 15th to December 6th, 1919.

The jockeys’ strike, which took place at the Avondale races on April 10th, 1920, was a small affair in itself, and would not merit mention if it were not for the events which followed it. On June 3rd the tramwaymen detailed for duty on the race cars refused to run the “race specials” and were suspended. The other tramwaymen, out of sympathy with these men, ran their cars into the depôts. The City Council, which had taken over the system from the Auckland Tramway Company, considered that the men had struck, and the service was not resumed until June 8th, when the dispute was settled.

Between the jockeys’ strike and its sequel—the tramways dispute—the railwaymen came out, on account of dissatisfaction with their conditions. The strike commenced on April 27th, and the dispute threatened to be a most serious affair. It lasted for less than a week, the men returning to duty on May 2nd. If the dispute had not been thusspeedily settled, the results, both economic and commercial, would have been disastrous to the community. This event took place when the Prince of Wales had just commenced his tour of New Zealand. He was then at Rotorua, but the men on the train agreed to bring the Royal visitor back to Auckland. This unscheduled hold-up of the tour was taken in a philosophic spirit by His Royal Highness.

The European War, which fell on the world with such suddenness, soon became felt on this side of the globe. The report at first brought consternation to New Zealanders, with which was mingled the usual display of patriotic ardour. Bands of youths and young men paraded Queen Street, singing patriotic songs and demonstrating. To many business people the idea of war spelt ruin, and many of them immediately curtailed their staffs. Within a very short time—a fortnight at most—these extreme expressions of the public mind settled down, and the true feelings of the community found vent. The New Zealand Government at once offered Great Britain its assistance, which was as speedilyaccepted. On August 10th the first portion of Auckland volunteers for overseas service left for Wellington, to join the other units which formed the advance party of the N.Z.E.F. for the Samoan expedition. From this onwards there were regular concentrations of men for the forces, and at intervals the troops left for the seat of war.

The embarkations were usually made from Wellington, but in the earlier days of the war the troops sometimes left from other ports, including Auckland. One of the most memorable send-offs to outgoing troops took place on September 23rd, 1914, when 2000 soldiers paraded at the Auckland Domain, and were ceremonially farewelled by the citizens, the Prime Minister (the Rt. Hon. W. F. Massey) and the Mayor (Mr. C. J. Parr, C.M.G.) addressing the men. A similar event took place on the occasion of the embarkation of the Second Maori Reinforcements, on 17th September, 1915. This departure was an impressive spectacle, as the older Maoris and their women-folk carried out the ceremony in traditional manner. The Mayor (Mr.J. H. Gunson) presided at the ceremony, which took place outside the Town Hall.

In the first months of the war a training camp for local recruits was located at Epsom, but as the Dominion’s military organisation developed, this camp was abandoned, and the Auckland recruits went direct to Trentham or one of the other concentration camps. The only permanent camp in the Auckland district was at Narrow Neck, Devonport, where the Maoris and recruits from the South Seas underwent their course of training.

Apart from the unusual number of men in khaki, and the economic conditions brought into being by the war, New Zealand was scarcely disturbed. The economic factors have been mentioned in another part of this narrative, and, although serious while they lasted, they could not be described as hardships, such as were experienced by people living nearer the war zones.

The most exciting event which occurred near Auckland during the war was the escape of Commander von Luckner and ten other German prisoners of war on December 13th, 1917, from internment at Motuihi. They seized the motor launch belonging to the camp commandant, and then commandeered the scowMoaat sea. They were recaptured near the Kermadec Islands on December 21st and brought back to Auckland on Boxing Day, on board the cable shipIris.

The discovery of a submarine minefield between North Cape and Cape Maria van Diemen was another incident, which was followed by fatal results. Shipping was notified on June 11th, 1918, to avoid the locality. Unfortunately, the steamerWimmeraneglected to observe the instructions, and became a victim, as related elsewhere in this section.

Apart from the number of soldiers which New Zealand sent to the war, the people of the Dominion entered with enthusiasm into the work arising out of the war and the relief of the sufferers thereby. Associations, in which both young and old laboured with good results, were formed. The dull days of war were enlivened from time to time by carnivals and special days for the Red Cross, Blue Cross, the Servian and Belgian relief funds, and otherpatriotic purposes. In connection with the Belgian fund, Mr. H. E. Partridge presented, in March 1915, the collection of Maori paintings by Mr. G. Lindauer, to the Auckland Art Gallery, on condition that the people of Auckland district subscribed £10,000. The condition was fulfilled within a very short period. On October 14th of the same year the Auckland Queen Carnival, organised by the Auckland Patriotic and War Relief Association, was started. The respective supporters of the twelve queens worked with great assiduity, and by November 29th, when the coronation of Mrs. Bollard (Queen of the South), the winner, took place, the proceeds from this effort totalled £264,547.

The Auckland Patriotic League, which afterwards became the Auckland Provincial Patriotic and War Relief Association, was formed in the first month of the war, the Mayor of Auckland being chairmanex officio. Mr. C. J. Parr was the first chairman, occupying the position from August, 1914, to April, 1915, when he was succeeded by Mr. J. H. Gunson, who has held the position up to the present. In recognition of his services tothis and other patriotic endeavours, including the work which he did on the National Efficiency Board[29]he was made an officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) in 1918, and in the following year was elevated to the commandership of the Order (C.B.E.). The Mayoress (Mrs. Gunson) was also made an officer of the same Order, in acknowledgement of her patriotic work.

The total funds collected by the Patriotic and War Relief Association from the 10th August, 1914, until the end of September, 1921, including interest, amounted to over half a million sterling.

The official peace celebrations were held on July 19th, 1919. A universal holiday was observed, and the city wore a gala appearance, bunting and decorations being everywhere in evidence. The official part of the proceedings commenced with a procession, which formed at the foot of Queen Street, and travelled to the Domain. In the procession the men who had served in the war tookpride of place. The official, consular and civil life of the city was also represented. Next to the soldiers, in point of interest, were the various local organisations which had taken part in the work connected with the war and patriotic endeavour. Many of these associations were represented by members who wore symbolic costumes and were conveyed in tastefully decorated vehicles, adding a picturesque touch to the procession.

At the Domain the troops, of which some 5500 were on parade, marched past the saluting base, Colonel H. R. Potter, C.M.G., officer commanding the district, taking the salute. At the conclusion of the military function the Deputy-Mayor (Mr. A. J. Entrican) read the King’s message, after which a salute of twenty-one guns was fired. The returned soldiers were then entertained to lunch by the Peace Celebrations Committee.

At night the city was transformed into a carnival. Bonfires were lit, and the spirit of revelry was abroad, but owing to the coal shortage only limited illuminations were permitted.

The welcome accorded to the soldiers returningto New Zealand after hostilities had ceased was usually of a private character, being confined to relatives. The civic heads and other officials were present, and on behalf of the citizens welcomed the soldiers home. An exception to this, however, was made on the return of the Maori Battalion, numbering 1000 strong, on April 6th, 1919. The occasion was made a great festival by the natives, and representatives from every tribe in New Zealand were congregated at Auckland to take part in the welcome, which was conducted in accordance with Maori custom. The gathering was held in the Auckland Domain, and the day being a Sunday a great assemblage of the public collected there to take part in the welcome home. It was the greatest Maori ceremonial gathering which had been held in New Zealand since the Maori ceremonies attending the visit to Rotorua of the Duke and Duchess of York, in 1901. Native dances were performed, and speeches of welcome made by the chiefs of the various tribes. On behalf of the white people of New Zealand, the Maori soldiers were welcomed home by Sir James Allen, Minister for Defence,Mr. J. H. Gunson, Mayor of Auckland, Hon. Sir James Carroll, K.C.M.G., M.P., and others. After the formal reception, the Maoris partook of a feast in native fashion.

Shortly after the conclusion of hostilities a French mission, representative of the national, economic and commercial interests of France, with General Pau, the famous soldier, who had served in the war, at its head, visited New Zealand, and arrived at Auckland on December 27th, 1918. The object of the visit was to thank the Government and people for the services rendered by New Zealand in the war, and to study how inter-commercial relations could be extended. On the mission’s return to Auckland from the South, the members were accorded a civic reception on January 24th, the Mayor (Mr. J. H. Gunson) presiding.

During 1919 and 1920 two distinguished soldiers, who were intimately connected with the New Zealand forces which had served overseas, were given cordial welcome to Auckland. The first to arrive in the city was Brigadier-General G. S. Richardson, who had held the position of Commandant of the New Zealand Forces in England, during the period that the New Zealanders served in France. He reached Auckland on May 5th, 1919, and his reception was in the nature of a welcome home, as he had been connected with the New Zealand Forces for many years before the outbreak of hostilities.

General Sir William Riddell Birdwood, who commanded the Australian and New Zealand Division on Gallipoli, and gained a great reputation among the troops under his care, arrived in Auckland on July 6th, 1920. He was given an enthusiastic reception by returned soldiers and the general public. The city tendered him a reception at the Town Hall, at which the Mayor (Mr. J. H. Gunson) again presided.

The Soldiers’ Club was opened on September 13th, 1915, in rooms of the Y.M.C.A., which were loaned by the directors. As larger numbers of repatriated soldiers came back to Auckland, the accommodation at the Y.M.C.A. became insufficient, and new premises for the club were found in Albert Street, which were opened on 20th October, 1920.

The most serious epidemic of disease ever experienced in Auckland was the outbreak of influenza, which occurred in October, 1918. The account of the epidemic given in the “Auckland and Charitable Aid Board: a History” is the best account the writer has seen, and he therefore makes no apology for quoting from it. “Influenza in a somewhat unusual form was prevalent in the city from the early part of October ... but the worst phases dated from a fortnight after the arrival of the R.M.S.Niagarafrom Vancouver, on the 12th of the month.... On the berthing of the vessel in Auckland, twenty-eight men were removed to the Hospital and placed in an isolation ward. Within a few days the disease was communicated to members of the Hospital staff. Simultaneously it spread to the community.... The insufficiency of the ordinary hospital accommodation to meet the demands of such an extraordinary emergency were early apparent. Temporary hospitals were accordingly established at the Seddon Memorial Technical College, “Kilbryde” (Point Resolution), the Sailors’ Home, the Avondale racecourse buildings, Myers Kindergarten, the Y.W.C.A. hostel, Vermont Street schools, and St. Joseph’s schoolroom, Grey Lynn. The Auckland Racing Club’s buildings at Ellerslie were converted into a temporary convalescent home.... Rigorous measures were taken at the beginning of November to limit the spread of the disease. Business in the city was brought almost to a standstill. Places of amusement and worship, banks, schools, hotel bars, and many warehouses were closed; public meetings ... were forbidden; such facilities as the telegraphic, telephonic, railway and shipping services were curtailed, and all classes of the community united in the supreme work of meeting [combating] the scourge.... The visitation was at its height in the first two weeks of November.... By the middle of November it was evident that the progress of the disease had been stayed, and from that time onward it gradually diminished in severity until by the end of the month only isolated cases remained.”

The official statistics of the deaths for the Auckland registration district during the period of theepidemic was 1013, or 7.57 per thousand of the population. The largest number of deaths recorded in one day was 56.

On November 8th an announcement of the signing of the Armistice was received in Auckland, which later proved to have been premature. Despite the epidemic, which was then at its height, the city went wild with joy, and never were such scenes enacted as on that morning. When the official intimation was received, four days later, there was no demonstration.

Sporting events have not found much space in these pages, as it would have been difficult to know where to draw a line on such a subject. Such an international event as the Davis Cup Challenge Round, which commenced on December 30th, 1920, is of such an exceptional nature as to justify its mention. The choice of New Zealand as the scene of the final round was in the nature of a compliment to the brilliant New Zealand exponent of the game, Anthony Wilding, who lost his life in the Great War. The games were contested on special courts prepared in the Auckland Domain.

The year 1918 was remarkable for the weather. There were three severe gales, the first occurring on February 14th, the next on March 18th, and the last on June 20th. In the latter the wind blew at the rate of 440 miles in 24 hours; in the two former the velocity reached 520 miles. The temperature during July was extremely low, and in the last week of the month it dropped to 30 degrees, which was the lowest temperature recorded for over thirty years. The severe frost which covered the ground was an unusual sight for Aucklanders. June, 1920, was another cold month, and on July 1st the thermometer at Albert Park registered 29 degrees.

Reception of H.R.H. The Prince of Wales at the Town Hall, April 24th, 1920

Reception of H.R.H. The Prince of Wales at the Town Hall, April 24th, 1920

The event which opened this section of Auckland’s annals was the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, who are now the reigning sovereigns. It is fitting, therefore, to close it with the visit of their son and heir, H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, in 1920. The visit was the outcome of a promise made by His Majesty the King that the Prince would visit the Dominions as a token of appreciation of the spirit of loyalty and unity displayed by the whole Empire during the war.H.M.S.Renown(26,500 tons) conveyed the Royal visitor on his tour, and arrived in the Waitemata Harbour on April 24th. The voyage from North Head was a wonderful water pageant, craft of every sort and size taking part in it. The Prince first set foot on New Zealand at Auckland, and was welcomed by the Governor-General (Admiral Lord Jellicoe), the Prime Minister (the Rt. Hon. W. F. Massey, P.C.), the Mayor (Mr. J. H. Gunson), and the Chairman of the Harbour Board (Mr. H. D. Heather). He then paid an official call on the Governor-General, and later made a triumphal journey along Queen Street to the Town Hall, where the Mayor and citizens formally welcomed His Royal Highness to the city and delivered to him a loyal address. In the afternoon a military review was held in the Domain in the presence of the Prince. The following day was Anzac Day, and the 1920 commemoration will be long remembered on account of the Prince joining in the service to honour the heroes of the Gallipoli expedition.

On Monday His Royal Highness attended theAuckland Domain, where the school children of the city were marshalled into groups, forming the word “Welcome” and a living Union Jack, and as the Prince passed among the children the enthusiasm was unprecedented. In the afternoon the Royal visitor attended a race meeting at Ellerslie, specially arranged in honour of his visit, and at night he was present at an “At Home” in the Town Hall, where he was again received with enthusiasm. Thus ended the official part of the Prince’s visit, but owing to the railwaymen’s strike he spent a few days privately in the city.

The task which the writer undertook has now been accomplished. Its imperfections are such as inevitably accompany a first attempt to write a local history. Other hands, he hopes, will repair what omissions he has made. In spite of its shortcomings, he feels some little satisfaction in having had the opportunity of contributing a stone to the building of Auckland’s history.

Looking back over the brief period which comprehends the city’s career, no citizen of Auckland but should be proud of the progress—social, economic and commercial, which has been made; it is a record of difficulties successfully overcome, and of advancement, despite many handicaps.

The City of Auckland is generally stated to have been named after Lord Auckland by Governor Hobson, but, as a rule, no authority for the statement appears in any of the books relating to the subject. As already shown from Hobson’s despatch, dated 10th November, 1840, the Governor chose the name himself. So far, so good. What was his reason for doing so? I exhausted every possible source of information at my command, and failed to obtain any satisfaction. Learning from Mr. Horace Fildes, of Wellington, that Dr. Guy H. Scholefield had, while in England, been given access by the Hobson family to the late Governor’s papers, and from these had written a biography (which, unfortunately, is still in manuscript), I communicated with him on the question of the naming of the city, and specifically inquired if he had seen any document or paper giving in Hobson’s own words his reasons for the name which he bestowed upon the capital. Dr. Scholefield courteously looked through his MS. and replied as follows:—

“I have come across the volume and looked carefully through it for what you want. Here it is, roughly. Having been idle for some years after returning fromthe West Indies, Hobson applied to the First Lord (Sir James Graham), recounting his services and asking for employment. This was shelved, but in June, 1834, Lord Auckland came to the Admiralty, and in December he gave Hobson command of theRattlesnake, with orders to proceed to the East Indies (the cruise which brought him first to New Zealand). Hobson wrote thanking Auckland for his patronage, and Auckland replied a few days later:—

“‘I am glad to know from you that your appointment to theRattlesnakeis so satisfactory to you, and can assure you that it was highly pleasing to me to give the service the advantage of having you again in active employment.’ (Private letter in possession of Hobson’s family).

“While Hobson was on the East Indies station Auckland was himself appointed Governor-General of India. Troubles with Burma for months, and even for years, made it seem that an expedition would be necessary, and both before and after the Australian cruise, Hobson had been instructed to be ready for this, as he would be senior naval officer on the station. Finally, Hobson’s time came to return to England, and the instructions were handed over to another captain. In his letters to his wife at this period, which I have copied, but cannot find just now, Hobson frequently refers in terms of gratitude to Auckland’s kindly interest. At one time he expected a naval appointment at Bombay worth £2000 a year, which he compared with a ‘factorship’ in New Zealand or agovernorship of Port Philip, which he surveyed. His conclusion was rather in favour of the latter.

“In my chapter on Hobson’s character, I refer to his frequent acknowledgments of the kindly interest of three men, Sir Lawrence Halsted, Lord Auckland and the Duke of Clarence. He has commemorated them and others in the nomenclature of Australia and New Zealand, wherever he had a chance. ‘Believe me,’ he writes to his wife in 1836, regarding the kindly interest of Lord Auckland, ‘many a valuable officer pines in obscurity merely because he has no friends to bring his merits into notice.’ The friendship of Lord Auckland was well recognised, for an acquaintance once asked him to exert his influence on behalf of his own son-in-law. ‘It would gratify me beyond measure,’ he writes to Mrs. Hobson in reply ‘to be the means of pushing his son-in-law forward, but to write to Lord Auckland, as —— wishes me to do, to ask his Lordship’s interest on behalf of another, merely because he befriended me, is so absurd a thing that I cannot help wondering how any rational man could propose it.’

“I hope that this may be sufficient to fix the responsibility for the name of Auckland. There can be no historical doubt as to its origin, and the reason for it.”

The population of the City and suburbs in 1921 was 158,000.


Back to IndexNext