CHAPTER XV.

The iron-works at Sowdley are all that remain to be noticed.  Here, as early as 1565, iron wire is said to have been made, being drawn by strength of hand.  In 1661 Mr. Paysted states that the factory passed from Roynon Jones, Esq., of Hay Hill, into the hands of a party named Parnell and Co., who carried on the works until the year 1784, from which date to 1804 Dobbs and Taylor had them.  From 1824 on to 1828 they were held by Browning, Heaven, and Tryer; but in the latter year Todd, Jeffries, and Spirrin undertook the business, converting a part of the premises into paint and brass works, which lasted for about four years.  Two blast furnaces were built on the spot in 1837 by Edward Protheroe, Esq., who worked them for four years.  In1857 they were purchased by Messrs. Gibbon, and are now in blast.

Eight blast furnaces were at work in the Forest in the year 1856, and produced upwards of 24,132 tons of iron of the best quality.

It only remains to state that twenty iron-mines were awarded by the Mining Commissioners in 1841, and these are since increased to upwards of fifty, several of them comprising very extensive workings, and are furnished with very powerful pumping engines; that at Shakemantle raises 198¼ gallons per stroke, and the one at Westbury Brook 24 gallons, from a depth of 186 yards.

The annual yield of iron mine from the four principal pits is:—

Buckshaft

14,574 Tons.

Old Sling Pit

13,263  „

Westbury Brook

11,725  „

Easter Iron Mine

10,782  „

The total yield from all the iron-mines in the Forest for 1856 was 109,268 tons.

The Forest Coal Works—The earliest allusion to them—The original method of mining for coal—Grants to the Earl of Pembroke in 1610, &c.—First attempt to char coal for the furnace—Prices for which coal was to be sold, as fixed by the “Orders” of the Court of Mine Law—Contents of the existing documents belonging to that Court described—State of the coal-works at the end of the last century—Gradual improvements in the mode of working for coal—Mr. Protheroe’s collieries—The superior character of the most recent coal-works—Amount raised in 1856 from the ten largest collieries.

There is a difficulty in determining which is to be considered the earliest allusion to the working of coal in the Forest, since charcoal as well as sea or pit coal was thus indifferently designated: not that the latter was carried by sea, but only that it agreed in character with the coal usually so conveyed.  The first notice seems, however, to be that supplied by the records of the Justice Seat held at Gloucester in 1282, where it is stated that sea coal was claimed by six of the ten bailiffs of the Forest of Dean.

The appellation of “Sea Coal Mine” as distinguished from “the Oare Mine,” mentioned in the 29th section of “The Laws and Customs of the Miners in the Forest of Dean,” compiled about the year 1300, likewise proves that sea-coal was known by name, and that a description of fuel closely resembling it was then dug in this neighbourhood, to an extent entitling it to be noticed “as free in all points” with the long celebrated iron ore; that is, constituting the collier a free miner.

The original methods of getting coal in the locality probably conformed to the modes then used for obtaining the iron mine, the veins of both minerals showing themselves on the surface much in the same manner.  So that it is probable the old coal-workings, like those for iron, descended only to a moderate depth, and forthe same reason were frequently carried on by driving levels, for which the position of several of the coal-seams was highly favourable.

In the year 1610 “liberty to dig for and take, within any part of the Forest or the precincts thereof, such and so much sea-coal as should be necessary for carrying on the iron-works,” was granted to William, Earl of Pembroke, by James I.  This is the earliest mention of coal being so used, agreeably to the efforts then making by Simon Sturtevant and John Ravenzon, Esqrs., to adapt it by baking for such a purpose.  The same grant, in omitting to mention coal amongst certain other productions which “no person or persons were to take or carry out of the said Forest,” leads to the supposition that coal was then exported or carried into the adjacent country, and that it was found desirable for this to continue.  Coal was included in Charles I.’s sale of the Forest timber, iron, stone, &c., to Sir John Winter, who some years afterwards is described by Evelyn as interested in a project for “charring sea-coal,” so as to render it fit for the iron furnace.  A scheme somewhat similar was now tried in the Forest, Mr. Mushet tells us, by Captain Birch, Major Wildman, and others, “where they erected large air furnaces, into which they introduced large clay pots, resembling those used at glasshouses, filled with various proportions of the necessary mixture of ores and charcoal.  The furnaces were heated by the flame of pit-coal, and it was expected that, by tapping the pots below, the separated materials would flow out.  This rude process was found entirely impracticable; the heat was inadequate to perfect separation, the pots cracked, and in a short time the process was abandoned altogether.”

The important Act of 1668 confirmed to persons digging for coal in the Forest their lawful rights and privileges, as also to the Crown the liberty to lease the coal-mines for a period not exceeding thirty-one years.  This latter provision was immediately acted upon, the coal-mines and quarries of grindstones being granted to Francis Tyrringham, Esq., for thirty-one years, at arental of £30 per annum, a price which, if it were fairly agreed upon, affords some intimation of the extent and value of the Forest coal-works at that time.

By the first “Order” of the Court of Mine Law, dated March 18th of the year last named (1668), it was fixed that a dozen bushels of lime-coal should be disposed of for 3s. at the Lime Slad; for 5s. 6d. at the top of the Little Doward; for 5s. 4d. at any other kilns thereon; for 5s. at the Buckstones; for 5s. 6d. at Monmouth; for 4s. at the Weare over Wye; for 4s. if on this side; for 3s. 6d. at Coldwall; for 3s. at Lydbrook; and for 4s. 4d. at Redbrook.

The second “Order” of the same Court, agreed to on the 9th of March, 1674, provides that “the servants of the Deputy Constable shall always be first served at the pitts.”  In the same year a petition was presented to the Crown by several gentlemen and freeholders of the parish of Newland for leave to drain some coal-pits at Milkwall, stating that “the inhabitants of the adjacent country were supplied from the collieries of the Forest with coal for firing, and also for lime coal, without which there would be little tillage.”

The next Mine Law Court, held on the 8th of September, 1678, determined that a barrel or three Winchester bushels should be the constant measure for coal, four-pence being the smallest price allowed to be taken for “a barrel” of fire coal.  “And whereas the myners within this Forest are at a very great charge to make surffes for the dreyning of their pitts to get cole, wchwhen they have finished others sincke pitts so near them that they are deprived of the benefit of their labour and charge, to their very great loss and damage: To remedie whereof, it is now ordered that after a surffe is made, noe myner shall come to work within 100 yards of that surffe to the prejudice of the undertakers without their consents, and without being contributory to the making of the said surffe, upon payne of forfeiting 100 dozen of good fire coale, the one moiety to the King’s Matie, and the other to the myner that shall sue for the same.”  The fourth “Order” ofthe same Court, issued on the 27th April, 1680, directs “that no fire cole, smith’s cole, or lyme cole shall be delivered upon the bankes of the Wye between Monmouth Bridge and Huntsame Ferry for less than 8s. a dozen bushels for the two former sorts, and 4s. 6d. for lyme cole, or if between Huntsame Ferry and Wilton Bridge for less than 3s. 6d. a dozen.”

On the 19th September, 1682, a fifth “Order” forbade “the transport of lime coal to Hereford and Monmouthshire at lower rates than heretofore have been set and agreed upon,” and ordained that “whensoever any collyers have fully wrought out a cole pitt through wchthe gout water must necessarily run for drayning of the worke, in such case the said collyers shall secure the said pitt, upon payne to forfeite 100 dozen of good fire cole.”  In the ensuing “Order,” dated 1st December, 1685, the jury agreed that, in raising money for any public purpose, “one half of those who served should be cole myners, and the other half myners at iron oare,” both classes of operatives having at length become equally numerous, in consequence of the rapid increase of the coal-works.  The next Court of the Mine, held on 5th April, 1687, decided that “all cole pitts and dangerous mine pitts which are not in working, or wchthereafter shall not be wrought in for one whole month together, shall be sufficiently secured by a wall of stone, or by railing the same with posts and railes placed above two feet distant from the mouth of such pitt by the proprietor thereof, and likewise all pitts left open for a grout way, upon paine of 10s. to be forfeited for every omission and neglect.”

According to the eighth verdict of the miners’ jury, declared on the 13th of January, 1692, the former space of 100 yards, within which all colliers were prohibited from coming to work another pit, was now extended to 300 yards.  The next “Order,” being that of the 25th of April, 1694, directs that “the price of fire cole to the copper works (Redbrook) shal bee henceforth 8s. per dozen, and smith cole 6s. per dozen.”  That of the 10th of March, 1701, enacted that “every miner shallkeepe a paire of scales at their severall colepitts to weigh theire cole wthall,” that none should be sent away unweighed, and that the price of it should not exceed 5s. a ton to the inhabitants of the hundred of St. Briavel’s, or less than 6s. a ton to foreigners.  The next “Order,” that of the 1st of July, 1707, renewed the direction to fill or sufficiently secure any dangerous coal-pits, within some reasonable time, under a penalty of 20s.  The “Order” dated 12th November, 1728, directs that the distance of 300 yards between any adjoining works be “augmented to 500 yards in all levels.”  The “Order” bearing date 2nd March, 1741, particularizes certain coal-works near Lydbrook called “Wyrrall Hill,” another called “Dowler’s Chambers,” and likewise the coal-works called “Speedwell,” at Serridge, besides “the Hill Works” near Ruerdean.  It also forbade any coal to be sold in the city of Hereford under 13s. the ton, fixing a horse-load at 2¼ cwt., for 6d. a bushel at the pit, one cwt. of fire coal for 4d. a bushel, three bushels of smith’s coal for 5d., and lime coal for 1d. a bushel, or 21 cwt. of fire coal for 7s. 6d. “waid and delivered” at Lydney Pill or at Pyrton Pill, or at Gatcombe.  The same “Order” further directs that “the yearns belonging to the levels which are between Drybrooke and Cannop’s Bridge, and between Seridge and Reuardean Town, shall get coal out of no more than two pitts at one time, belonging to one level, till the said two pitts are worked quite out, and those who keep two pitts in work on one level shall not sinke any other new pitt till the old ones are quite worked out.”

The last of the “Orders” of the Miners’ Court, dated October 22nd, 1754, provides that “none shall sink any water pit and get coal out of it within the limits or bounds of 1,000 yards of any level, and that the waterwheel ingine at the Oiling Green near Broadmore be taken to be a level to all intents and purposes, as all other levels brought up from the Grassmoore;” meaning probably, that they also were to enjoy the protective distance of 1,000 yards in common with all “levels,”otherwise that distance would be no more than twelve yards radius, according to the received custom.  “The water-wheel engine,” for working the pumps belonging to the work at Oiling Green, is considered to have been the first of the kind, and therefore marks the earliest of the successive steps made within the last 100 years in improving the methods of raising coal in this locality, by showing greater ingenuity in removing the water from the pits, which were now evidently sunk much deeper than formerly.

A minute examination[235]of the numerous papers recording the then ordinary proceedings of the Free Miners’ Court, supplies the accompanying dates to the following coal-works:—

1706.  “Stay and Drink,” under Serridge; “Dark Pitt,” in Coverham.

1718.  “Hopewell,” at Park End; “Speedwell,” Ruerdean Hill.

1720.  “Sally Pitt,” Coleford.

1721.  “Broad Moore Grout;” “The Holly Pitt.”

1722.  “New Charity;” “The 9 Wells;” “Stand Fast;” “The Dry Tump.”

1723.  “Go on and Prosper;” “Monmouth Hill Work.”

1724.  “The Old Colliery,” near Coleford.

1725.  “Shute Castle Pitt;” “The Oiling Quab,” in Bromley.

1726.  “The Staple Pitt;” “Short Standing.”

1735.  “Gentlemen Colliers,” or “Harbourne Oake.”

1736.  “The Little Suff,” Serridge.

1737.  “Major Wade’s Suff,” near Aywood; “The Broomy Knowle;” “Pluck Penny,” Nail Bridge; “Dowler’s Chambers.”

1739.  “Bushes Pitt,” at Berry Hill; “The Society.”

1740.  “Church way,” or “Turn brook.”

1741.  “Cartway Pitt;” “Harrow Hill Pitt.”

1743.  “Mendall,” at Yorkley; “True Blue,” Ruerdean; “Littleworth;” “the Windmill,” near Ruerdean.

1744.  “Rain Proof.”

1745.  “Church Hill,” Coal Work, Park End.

1747.  “The Golden Pippin;” “Little Scare Pitt.”

1749.  “Long looked for,” near Yorkley.

1753.  “Prosper.”

1755.  “The bold Defiance;” “The Ginn.”

1757.  “Now found out;” “Standfast.”

1758.  “Pigg Pitt.”

Several of the above names closely resemble those by which many of the existing coal-works are designated; as for instance—“Strip-and-at-it,” “Winners,” “Spero,” “Prosper,” “Never Fear,” &c.  One other interesting fact preserved in these records is that the coal seams were called then as now by the names of “Upper” and “Lower Rocky,” the “Lower” and “Upper High Delf,” the “Starkey Delf,” and the “Lowery Delf.”

The Appendix to the Fourth Report of the Dean Forest Commissioners relative to the mines, incidentally mentions the old coalwork called “the Oiling Gin” as originally galed in 1766, and transferred by agreement, dated 15th April, 1776, to a company, in consideration of £2,100, at whose cost the first “fire-engine,” constructed, probably, on Watt’s principle, patented in the previous year, is understood to have been put up in this neighbourhood.  It also specifies the “Brown’s Green Colliery” near Lydbrook, opened in 1772; the “Moorwood Coal Works” in 1773; “Arthur’s Folly” in 1774, begun in the “Thirty Acres,” and brought up into “Little Cross Hill;” and also the undertaking called “The Gentlemen Colliers.”

On the 26th August, 1777, the Court of Mine Law, by which the coal-works in the Forest had been ever regulated, sat, as it proved, for the last time, having been held according as business required three or four times a year, with some few exceptions, since 1668.  A memorandum with which its last minute is endorsed is thus expressed:—“Mine Law Court, 26 August, 1777.  There has been no Court holden for the miners since this day, which is a great loss to the gaveller, and causes various disputes amongst the colliers, which is owing to the neglect of the Deputy-Constables.”

A careful perusal of the papers in which the proceedings of the Court of Mine Law are recorded from 30th April, 1706, supplies the following particulars illustrative of the manner in which the miners of the first half of the 18th century conducted their works, together with the usages of the Court then in vogue.  Nearly all the sittings were held at the Speech-house, under thesupervision of the deputies for the time being of the Constable of St. Briavel’s Castle, attended by the clerk of the court, and the gaveller or his deputy.  Rarely more than twelve, but sometimes twenty-four miners constituted the jury; the suits they had to try being mostly for debts and trespasses between miner and miner, such as for leaving open dangerous pits, breaking “forbids,” refusing to pay tax for defending the rights of the mine, loading “foreigners’” teams at the pits, for perjury, for keeping more than four horses in carrying coal, or for removing pit lamps, scores or cowls, &c.  Copies of two such entries, with other proceedings of the Court as specimens, are given in the Appendix No. VI.

As early as the year 1718 the proceedings of the Court were occasionally disturbed by the persons attending it.  Thus, on the 13th of May, the following amercements were made and recorded:—

John Davis, for talking in Court

2s.

John Kear, for talking in Court

2s.

Wm. Budge, for disturbing yeCourt

2s.

Nich. Whitstone, for the like

2s.

Thomas Rudge, for the same

2s.

John Griffiths, for disturbing the Court

2s.

Thomas Rudge, for the same offence

2s.

John Trigg, for the same offence

2s.

Griffith Cooper, for talking in Court

2s.

Writing upon the subject of the Forest collieries, about the year 1779, Mr. Rudder remarks in his History of the county,—“The pits are not deep, for when the miners find themselves much incommoded with water, they sink a new one, rather than erect a fire engine, which might answer the expense very well, yet there is not one of them in all this division.  They have indeed two or three pumps worked by cranks, that in some measure answer the intention.”

In the year 1788 we are informed by the evidence of the Gaveller, that, according to an account made out in the previous August, “there were then within the Forest 121 coal-pits (thirty-one of which were not actually in work), which pits produced 1,816 tons of coal per week; that there were 662 free miners concerned andemployed therein; and that the annual compositions paid by them amounted to £215 8s. or thereabouts, although many of them were so poor that no money could be collected from them.”  “At this time,” says the same officer, “house-fire coal, on the Mitcheldean side the Forest, is sold at the pit’s mouth for 4s. 6d. per ton of 20 cwt., smith’s coal 3s. 3d., lime coal 2s. per ton.  When sold by the waggonload at the pit’s mouth, and the purchaser brings victuals and drink for the colliers, the price of a waggonload was 10s. of house-fire coal, smith coal 6s. 6d., lime coal 4s.  On the Coleford side the Forest, house-fire coal was sold at the pit’s mouth for 3s. 9d. per ton of 20 cwt., smith coal 2s. 9d., lime coal 1s. 3d.  By the waggonload at the pit’s mouth, house-fire coal 8s. 6d., smith coal 5s. 6d., lime coal 2s. 6d.”

In addition to the above, the Assistant Deputy Surveyor of the same period reported,—“the parts of the Forest in which the principal collieries are situate are these:—The Level of the Fire Engine Colliery, which is one of the principal works, is in the bottom between Nail Bridge and Cinderford Bridge, and there are pits all along the Bottom.  There are several Levels in the Bottom from Beechenhurst Hill along the Delves quite up to Nail Bridge.  Another large field of coal from Whitecroft Bridge, at the back of White Mead Park along the Delves to Great Moseley Green, and from thence through Old Vallet Tuft and Aures Glow, almost up to Little Stapleage.  These are the works which do the greatest mischief to the Forest.  There are some others on the Coleford side, from which a great deal of coal is raised.  Very little timber is growing in any of these Delves; and enclosures might be made in the Forest, so as to exclude all the principal coal-works.  The coal-works in the Forest supply with fuel the lower parts of Gloucestershire beyond Severn, and some parts across the Severn about Berkeley, the greatest part of Herefordshire, the town of Monmouth, and part of the county of Monmouth.”

The existing remains of the coal-works of this period,combined with the traditions of the oldest surviving colliers, enable us to form an accurate idea of the way in which the workings were carried on.  “Levels,” or slightly ascending passages, driven into the hill sides till they struck the coal seam, appear to have been general.  This was no doubt owing to the facility with which they effected the getting of the coal where it tended upwards into the higher lands forming the edge of the Forest Coal Basin, since they required no winding apparatus, and provided a discharge for the water which drained from the coal-beds.  The usages observed at the works entitled the proprietors of their respective levels to so much of the corresponding seam of coal as they could drain, extending right and left to the limits awarded by the gaveller.  So far this mode of procedure was satisfactory enough, and would no doubt have long continued to go on amicably, had not the principle, highly judicious in itself, that no workings were ever to intersect one another, but always to stop when the mattocks met, been abused by driving “narrow headings” up into different workings, whereby the rightful owner of the coal was stopped, and the other party enabled to come in and take it from him.  Timber of considerable strength was required throughout the underground excavations to support the roof, hence proving a serious source of spoliation to the woods.  Large slabs of it were also needed for the flooring, in order that the small coal-trams might be the more readily pushed forward over it, a space being left beneath for air to circulate, and for the water to run out.

If the vein of coal proposed to be worked did not admit of being reached by a level, then a pit was sunk to it, although rarely to a greater depth than 25 yards, the water being raised in buckets, or by a water-wheel engine, or else by a drain having its outlet in some distant but lower spot, such as is found to have led from the Broad Moor Collieries to Cinderford, a mile and upwards in length.  The shaft of the pit was made of a square form, in order that its otherwise insecure sides might be the better supported by suitable woodwork,which being constructed in successive stages was occasionally used as a ladder, the chief difficulty being found in keeping the workings free from water, which in wet seasons not unfrequently gained the mastery and drowned the men out.  The skips appear to have been always rectangular in shape, similar to the shafts.

Intermediately between the date of the above coal-works and the present most approved collieries, Mr. Protheroe, in his evidence before the Dean Forest Commissioners, in 1832, relative to his thirty-two coal-pits, stated that “the depth of my principal pits at Park End and Bilson varies from about 150 to 200 yards; that of my new gales, for which I have engine licences, is estimated at from 250 to 300 yards.  I have 12 steam engines varying from 12 to 140 horse power, 9 or 10 of which are at work, the whole amounting to 500 horse power; and I have licences for four more engines, two of which must be of very great power.  The amount of wages paid by me, in the last twelve years, to colliers, hauliers, and labourers, is upwards of £150,000, giving constant employment on the average to from 400 to 500 individuals.”

The coal-pits were now lined throughout with stone walling, leaving a clear diameter of from 7 to 9 feet; greater regard was paid to their drainage and ventilation, both of which required particular attention, owing to the watery nature of the coal measures, and the abundance of “choke-damp,” although happily “fire damp” never appears.  Horses were now used underground for bringing the coal-trams to the foot of the pit, and all the workings were accurately surveyed and recorded, agreeably to the regulations instituted by the Dean Forest Mining Commissioners, under the judicious Act of 27th July, 1838, to the effect that “the quantity of coals sent daily from each colliery should be duly entered, and plans made of the workings, for the information of the Gaveller, who might also inspect any underground operations at all reasonable times,” the whole undertaking being required to be carried on according to the best and mostimproved system.

Light Moor Colliery

In accordance with which excellent rules, each of the 105 re-awards of coal seams applied for during the years 1838–41 were so ably set out by Messrs. Sopwith, Buddle, and Probyn, as effectually to check the numerous disputes which formerly arose, and ere long so to develop the coal-works of the Forestof Dean as to render them worthy to be compared with some of the finest collieries in the kingdom.  As an instance of their present excellence, Messrs. Crawshay’s colliery at Light Moor may be mentioned, for its great extent, completeness, powerful machinery, and size of its pits.  These last, four in number, are 291 feet deep, one of which, measuring 9 feet 6 inches by 14 feet, contains pumps raising 88 gallons of water per minute.

The number of coal-works in the Forest at the close of 1856 was 221, yielding in that year to the public use upwards of 460,432 tons; the ten largest collieries each producing as follows:—

Tons.

Park End Colliery

86,973

Light Moor „

86,508

Crump Meadow

41,507

Bix Slade

26,792

The Nelson

24,539

Hopewell in Whimberry

18,858

Valletts Level

17,918

Bilson

17,395

Arthur and Edward

12,857

New Strip and at it

11,502

-------

344,849

Probably a twentieth part of the above total should he added to the amount charged, in consideration of the quantity consumed by the colliery engines, thus making the gross annual produce a third of a million of tons.

The Geology of the Forest, and its Minerals—Their character in general—Description of the beds of conglomerate, mountain limestone, iron veins, millstone grit, and lower coal measures—“The Coleford High Delf”—Elevation of the Forest range of hills—The middle coal veins—The upper veins—Mr. Mushet’s analysis of the Forest coal—Their fossils—The stone-quarries of the district.

The geological conditions of the Forest of Dean merit careful observation, not only as regards the mineral wealth comprised within its limits, but as explanatory of its undulations, and the means of maintenance for its inhabitants.

The strata of the Forest repose in a basin-like form, the greatest depression being near the centre; the longer axis extending from N. to S. about eleven miles, and the transverse axis, in the widest part, ranging from E. to W. about seven miles.  The general observer, if he takes his stand on the edge of hills by which this basin is bounded, will see the enclosing character of the ridge, as well as the less conspicuous circle of somewhat elevated land occupying the central portion of the field, and which is separated by a valley or plain from the surrounding ridge.

This outlying ridge marks in most places the outcrop of the Conglomerate, Mountain Limestone, Iron Veins, Millstone Grit, and Lower Coal-measures.

Mr. Maclauchlan’s geological map of the district exhibits the course of the conglomerate bed, and the consequent disappearance of the old red sandstone formation under the Dean Forest basin.  Occasionally this conglomerate, or hard grit, forms two distinct beds, very distant from one another, near Lydney for instance, and on the Kimin Hill and Buckstone, although it is sometimes cutoff altogether by a “fault,” as opposite Blackney.  It varies in hardness as well as in the number of the pebbles, and not unfrequently presents an abrupt fall at its termination, as at “the Harkening Rock” in the Highmeadow Woods.

General view of the centre of the Forest

Geological Map of the Forest

The upper portion of the bed is soft, and acquires the character of the limestone clay, often throwing out springs, such as St. Anthony’s Well, which have accumulated in the limestone rocks above.  A very micaceous stone sometimes occurs in the upper parts, having the appearance of silver: hence the name of “Silver Stone” given to a spot near the Hawthorns, where it is found.  The surface which the carboniferous limestone exposes is also represented in the map.  The Forest coal-field is surrounded by this formation, with the exception of the line of fault between Lydney Park and Danby Lodge, a distance of four miles.

The principal iron-mine train of the district divides into a lower or more crystalline, and an upper or more argillaceous and sandy stratum.  Mr. Mushet thus describes this important metallic vein:—“The iron ores of the Forest of Dean, which have become intimately known to me, are found, like the ores of Cumberland and Lancashire, in churns or caverns formed in the upper beds of the mountain or carboniferous limestone.  The leaner ores contain a great deal of calcareous matter in the shape of common limestone or spar, which reduces the percentage in the ore as low as between 15 and 25 per cent., and it seldom exceeds 25, except when mixed with fragments of what is called brush ore, which, when in quantity, raises the percentage to 40 or 45.  Brush ore is a hydrate with protoxide of iron, and frequently, if not much mixed with calcareous earth, contains from 60 to 65 per cent. of iron.  These ores are found in chambers, the walls of which are exceedingly hard limestone, crystallized in rhombs.  This limestone is called the ‘crease,’ and is frequently found enveloped and covered with the iron ore.  The miner has to cut his way through this crystallized limestone from chamber to chamber, a distance of from 20 to 100 yards, before he reaches the next of these deposits, which are sometimes found to contain 3,000 or 4,000 tons of ore.  The principal part of the ore is then dug easily, somewhat like gravel; but the sides of the chambers are often covered with the stony ore before described, which requires gunpowder to detach it from the rock.”  These various ores were found by the same excellent authority to yield iron in the following proportions:—

Hydrates of Iron

57½ per cent.

“Brush” Ore

64½  „

Red Calcareous Ore

9.7 per cent.

“Blake Ore”

22  „

The inhabitants of the Forest consider the ores obtained on the east side superior to those on the west.  They likewise suppose, but probably without foundation, that the ore will be found to deteriorate in proportion as the workings descend.  Red and yellow ochre of superior quality occur in the iron veins, and have at various times been in considerable request.  They are now used in the neighbourhood for marking sheep, and tinting whitewash.

Reverting to the limestone beds of the district, the lower veins are locally called “blue stone,” the middle “red stone,” and the top vein the “white head,” which is largely used as a flux in the smelting furnaces.  The researches of Mr. R. Gibbs, of Mitcheldean, have enabled him to furnish me with the following list of fossils discovered by himself in the Forest limestone formation:—

Zoophyta

Syringopora reticulata, Turbinolia fungites, Lithostrotion irregulare.

Echinodermata„„„

Actinoerinus aculeatus, etlævissimus, Platyerinus lævis et rugosus.Poteriocrinus crassus, et pentagonus.Rhodocrinus costatus, et granulatus.

Mollusca Dimyaria.

Pallastra complanata.

Brachiopoda.„„„„

Terebratulahastata.Spirifer glaber, et rhomboideus.Chonetes cornoides, et papilionacea.Leptœnaanaloga.Productuscora, et longispinus, et martini, et pustulosus et cornoides.

Lamellibranchiata.

Monomyaria.Aviculopecten fallax.Dimyaria.Psammobia complanata.

Pisces.

Ctenacanthus tenuistriatus.Cladodus conicus.Psammodus porosus, et rugosus.

Vertical section of the Plump Hill

The millstone grit beds immediately succeed those of the carboniferous limestone just described, forming a similar belt round the Forest, and disappearing with it on the Blakeney side of the basin.  Its chief interest consists in the circumstance that it has been employed from very early times as a material for building; for though it contains a vein of iron ore, little has been done in mining it.  Most of the old buildings adjoining the parts where this grit crops out are formed of it, as several of the ancient neighbouring churches show, and likewise the oldest lodges in the Forest; now, however, this kind of stone is seldom used except for boundary walls, and such kind of rough work.

The rest of the outer circle of high land, on whose summit the observer has been supposed to be standing, and which so definitely marks the Forest coal-field, comprises thelowercoal measures, containing the lower and upper Trenchard veins, the Coleford High Delf, with the Whittington and Nag’s Head seams, which together give about eleven feet of coal.  Of these the Coleford High Delf, averaging a thickness of upwards of five feet, and extending over an area of 16,000 acres, is undoubtedly the chief, although in some places it has suffered from various disturbances, the principal of which occur in the neighbourhood of Coleford, extending in a line from Worcester Lodge to Berry Hill, and is marked on the surface by a succession of pools, named Howler’s Well, Leech Pool, Crabtree Pool, Hooper’s Pool, and Hall’s Pool.  Mr. Buddle describes the width as varying from 170 to 340 yards in the most defined part, called by the colliers the “Horse,” and the dislocations adjoining, the “Lows.”  “It is not,” he remarks, “what geologists term afault, as there is no accompanying dislocation of the adjoining strata.  In its underground character it is similar to thosewashesor aqueous deposits in many coal districts, but it differs from them in not being under the bed of any river, nor in the bottom of a valley, nor does it show itself at the surface.”  And he adds, “On considering the various phænomena presented by this fault, and the seam of coal on each side of it, we may infer that it occupies the site of a lake which existed at the period of the deposition of the High Delf seam, and thatthe carbonaceous matter which formed the seam was accumulated while the water was deep and tranquil.  On the water being discharged from the lake, the ‘Horse’ itself occupied the bed of the river, by which the complete drainage of the lake was effected, and which washed the coal entirely out.”

The same scientific observer records an extraordinary depression about half a mile to the south-east, in the direction of the “Horse,” and in the same seam of coal, amounting to about twenty feet in depth, and of an oval shape.  Various other defects and disturbances in the Coleford High Delf are detected from time to time by the new workings, especially in those places where the surface is most uneven.  Thus its outcrop at Lydney is very imperfectly defined, and at Oakwood Mill the vein is rendered worthless by a fault, whilst on each side of the Lydbrook valley there is a contortion, by which it is thrown down in one instance seventy yards, and in two others thirty yards each.

Such is the geological character of the conspicuous range of hills by which the Dean Forest coal-field is bounded, especially on its north and east sides.  The following table gives their height in feet at certain places above the sea:—

Feet.

Symmond’s Rock

540

Buck Stone

954

Knockholt

760

Clearwell Meand

727

Ruerdean Hill

991

High Beech

891

Coleford Meand

760

Berry Hill

750

Lea Bailey Hill

580

Mitcheldean Meand

870

Edge Hill

908

Stapledge

749

Putten Edge

664

Blaize Bailey

684

Blackney Hill

507

Nearly all these spots afford magnificent views of the surrounding country, reaching as far as the Coteswold, Sedgebarrow, Malvern, Herefordshire, Welsh, and Monmouthshire heights, relieved intermediately by the windings of the Severn, cultivated plains, and woodland.  Several very striking ravines intersect this Forest range, particularly at Lydbrook, Blackpool Brook, andRuspedge, such as would afford the artist many beautiful and interesting subjects for delineation.  One of the hills, viz. that on which Mr. Colchester’s house, called “the Wilderness,” is situated, affords a prospect rarely equalled.  The present residence dates from the year 1824, but it occupies a site which was built upon as early as 1710, if not before, for the accommodation of sporting parties in the days of Sir Duncombe Colchester, when its fine sycamores and trees of “the Beech Walk” were most likely planted.

Descending from the side of the hilly range on which the reader has been supposed to stand towards the middle of the Forest, a plain is reached varying in width from half a mile to little more than 100 yards, and forming a band round the somewhat elevated centre of the district.  This circular valley or plain marks the outcrop of the middle series of coal seams, not less than ten in number, the principal ones being the Smith Coal, Lowery or Park End High Delf, Starkey, Rocky, and Upper and Lower Churchway.  The combined thickness of these beds may be said to average 20 feet, and they are more argillaceous in character than the lower beds, which in general are harder in their nature, and hence they afford the larger portion of the fossiliferous remains observed and tabulated by Mr. R. Gibbs, who has kindly furnished the writer with the following—

Plantæ.

Asterophyllitesequisetiformis, et foliosus.

Bothrodendronpunctatum.

Calamitesapproximatus, nodosus.

Caulopterisprimæva.

Lepidodendrondichotomum, et elegans, et Serlii, et Sternbergii, et majus.

Neuropterisacutifolia, et angustifolia, et flexuosa, et macrophylla, et oblongata.

Pecopterisabbreviata, et arborescens, et cristata, et dentata, et Serlii.

Sigillariacontracta, et elongata, et mammillaris, et ornata, et reniformis.

Sphenophyllumfimbriatum, et Schlotheimii, et truncatum.

SphenopterisHibbertii, et macilenta.

Stigmariaficoides.

UlodendronLindleyanum, et Lucasii.

The same variations in thickness as well as “faults” which have been detected in the lower coal seams, occur in the middle measures, although they do not in any case assume the same magnitude as the “Horse” in the Coleford High Delf.

The heart of the Forest basin is well defined by its forming a slightly varied plateau, containing the inferior and comparatively unimportant seams of Woor Green coal, situated of course nearer to the surface than the other veins, but as yet only sparingly worked, and not accurately defined in its outcrop.  The highest elevations in this portion of the district are:—Surridge, 658 feet; Speech-house, 581 feet; St. Paul’s, Park End, 270 feet.  The combined vertical thickness of the entire formation, descending from the top surface to the old red sandstone, is calculated by Mr. D. Williams at 2,765 feet, an opinion which is corroborated by Mr. Atkinson’s highly interesting sections based on his practical acquaintance with the mining operations of the Forest.

Mr. Mushet obtained by analysis the following percentage of carbon in the various descriptions of coal, viz.:—

Lowery Delf

62.

Coleford High Delf

63·72, 63·61, and 60·96.

Churchway

60·33 and 64·135.

Rockey

61·735.

Starkey

61·53.

Park End Little Delf

58·15.

Smith Coal

63·36.

None of these sorts of coal emit “fire-damp” in their natural condition—a fact which adds so much to the safety of the pits; but “choke-damp” is very prevalent.

The sandstone matrix of these coal-beds constitutes the grey and buff-coloured rock so well known in the neighbourhood of the Forest as a valuable building material, as well as for ornamental stonework.  Although for many years past it has been generally preferred to the gritstone of the district, and is commonly met with in the better specimens of stonework on this side theSevern, of which Mr. Telford’s Over Bridge and Lord Somers’s mansion at Eastnor are examples, yet originally such was not the case, since the earliest example of its being used for any considerable pieces of masonry occurs in the steeple of Ruerdean Church, a work of the 15th century.  Now, however, almost all the 320 stone quarries worked in the Forest are of this stone, which is very pleasing in tint, and, if judiciously selected, very durable.

“Right Honourable,

“Acoording unto your Lordship’s warrant, Wee repaired unto and have veiwed and duelie considered the severall woodes, known by the names of Great Bradley, Little Bradley, Stonegrove, Pigstade, Buckholde Moore, and the Copps; all lying together and conteyning by the measure of 16½ foote the pole, 520 acres.  In wchgrounds we thinke (the woodes being muche differing in qualitie, by an equall proportion) there maie be raised for everie acre 30 coard of woode; reserving sufficient staddells according to the state, wch, according to the measure of the said grounds, amounted unto the number of 15,600 cordes of woode.  Uppon conference with divers in the contrie, wee finde that such a quantitie of woode is not suddainly to be vented in anie other sorte then to the iron workes, wchcauseth either the cheapnes or dearnes of the same; the contrie not vallewing the said woodes uppon the stem abovexiiiidthe coard, although to the iron workes it may be vallued at IIsVIdthe coard.  So that according to the rate of the contrie, the said proportion of woode is worthecccccvli.  And according to the compictacon for the iron works, the same maie be vallued atmixclxli.  We imagine that the charge of ffensing the said woodes, circuting 4 miles, will cost, to be done and kept according to the state, abouteccmarkes.  The rent is 20 li. per ann.

“Robert Treswell.J. Norden.Tho. Morgan.”

The wood standing in the 6 copses above named, Sir Edward Winter proposed to buy for 800 lib., cutting and carrying away the same, one copse after another, in 5 years’ time.  But this proposal was so impugned as to elicit the ensuing defence from Sir E. Winter:—“A true Answere tothe objections made against my late bargaine for some of his Mtiescoppices or colletts adioyning to the fforest of Deane.

“‘1.  Ffirst, that contrarie to the intention of this bargaine, I have alredie cut downe a great number of tymber-trees, whereas to this howre not any one is felled of that kynde or any other.

“‘2.  That a follower of my Ldof Worcester’s should survey those woodes is a wilful mistakinge, synce by the particules it appeares that one MrHervye made this survey by warrant from the late L. Trer.

“‘3.  That I should gaine a 1000 li. per ann. by this bargaine is soe vayre and ympossible a thing as deserves noe Aunswere.

“‘Yet that your Lppmaye see howe much Th’ informer hath exceeded therein, himselfe or any man elsshall purchase my interest for a tenth parte of his valuation.  Which I write not in any sorte to capitulate with your Lpp; for wthout any consideration at all, I am redie to yealde upp this bargaine, rather then by reteyning thereof to harbour in your noblest thoughts the least ill conceipt of mee or my proceedinges.  But nowe, Sr, howe profitable a bargaine you have made for the Kinge, these considerations followinge will easely demonstrate—ffor whereas in former tyme a greater proffit was never raised out of these wooddes thanxxvsper ann. vntill my Ldyour ffather and SrWalter Myldemaye did let them by lease, and soe madeviilirent, wthout any ffyne, your Lpphath now made 500liffyne, and 20lirent, wchis noe smale improvement, consideringe thatthese 25 yeares last past not one pennye rent or proffitt otherwise hath bene made out of them, but left as a thing forgotten.  That the coppice woodd or vnderwoodd through the abuse of the last ffarmer, who never inclosed these wooddes, and the contynuall spoyle and havocke of the country thereabouts,is utterly destroyed.  That there is nothinge nowe eft in 4 of those 6 coppices for wchI have bargained but old beaches, heretofore topt and lopt, whereof many of them nowe are scarce worth the cuttinge out to any man but myselfe, in respect of my iron workes beinge soe nere to them.  That the other twoe coppices which are well stored have nothinge in them but younge beaches, and some other woodd ofxxorxxxyeares growth.  That in dyvers of those coppices there are many acres wchhave noe manner of woodd standing vpon them at all.  Lastly,that the enclosinge of these coppices wtha sufficient mound will cost me 200 markes the least, beside the great quantitie of woodd that must necessarilye be spent therein, for wchno manner of allowance is made mee, &c. &c. &c.’”

The next MS. in Sir J. Cæsar’s collection seems designed to promote the extension of the iron-works, and relates several interesting particulars.  It is headed “Reasons to move his Mtieto make vse and profitt of the woodes within the fforest of Deane.”  The Forest woods are said to “containe of great standing woodes, though of severall and different sortes, 15,000 acres, parte beinge tymber, and parte other, the most parte well sett, the lawndes not accompted.  The same fforest is a forest for waste, and of soe ill condicõn for hunting, as that the preservinge the woodes thereof will nether yield pleasure to the hunter nor profitt to the owner; and the woodes thereupon soe subject to waste, will dayly grow worse and worse.  The fforest is for II. or III. myles vpon the skirts soe exceedingly wasted, as well by the inhabitants as other the borderers adiacent, that yt is grief to see soe many goodly trees to be spoiled, the vse whereof hath bene such as yt hath converted the tymber trees to Dotards, and that almost generally vpon the borders of the same fforest.  The liberty of makinge sale of the wood hath bred in the same such a multitude of poore creatures, as it is lamentable to thinke soe many inhabitants shall lyve vpon soe bare provision as vpon spoile of the fforest woodes, wchyf in tyme yt be not forseene, will consume all his Mtieswoodes without accompte.  It appeareth by Recorde, that in the raigne of Henry III., Edward I., II., and III., and longe sithence, there were divers forges within the fforest, and noe other but the Kinge’s only; and of these there were VIII. at one tyme, as appeareth by the accompt of Maurice de SctoAmando, and the rest wereForgium Itinerans ad siccum in bosco de,&c.  All lyberty beinge prohibited for cuttinge of greene wood but to his Matesowne forge.  And whosoever cutt greene wood was by the officer of the Bayliwycke attached for the same.  Also by negligence of former officers the inhabitantes of the said forest have much insulted by cuttinge of trees in the said forest, whereas by Recorde it appeareth the Kynge’s Warrant was in former tymes obtayned for cuttinge of deade trees, and who soe cutt, shredd, or lopped great wood wthout good warrant, was from tyme to tyme attached, presented, and made to paye for yesame.  There are, tokeepe and preserve the woodes of the said forest, tenn woodwardes, or Baylyfes of ffee, who hould Landes by that service, viz. Per servitum custodiendi boscum Domini Regis infra Ballinam, &c.  Yet late experience proveth that they, their Tenauntes and Servantes, are as great spoilers as any others.  And the antient Recordes make mencõn, that some of these woodwardes have forfeyted their Bayliwyckes, and have compounded wththe Kinge to have them againe regranted.  It appeareth alsoe by Recordes, that the King hath bene answered of Browsewood wthin the Forest of Deane, and therein is sett downe what ffees were from tyme to tyme allowed to the keeper and what not.  The profitt to be made of the said woodes is either by convertinge the same to coles, and soe for makinge iron or otherwise by sellinge of the tymber by the tonne.  In wchdisposition of the woodes there wil be lytle or noe difference in advantage.  But of the two the makinge of coles will be lykely to yield most profitt.”

These succeeding papers, preserved with those already given, have also their interest:—

“Certain lands and tenemtsholden by the face, and called new sett landes, wchthe tenantes doe passe from partie to partie in the Kinge’s Court at StBreuills, being all the Kinge’s lands liing in the fforest of Deane in com’ Glouc., every tenante there payeing a certein yerely rent to his MtsBailiff.  Imprimis, the parke of Thomas Baynham, Esqr, called Noxon, is parcell therof, except from the gutter to the pale towards his house, holden by the tenure aforesaid, 50liper ann.

“Item, the house and land of Richard Allowaye, gent., is so holden, 30liper ann.

“George Wirrelle’s land at Bicknor, from the same towne to one Sipprian’s howse, and so downe to Skidmore’s house, and likewise to the fforest side, is of the like tenure, together wthother lands beyond his house, 50liper ann.

“Richard Carpenter’s land, called 5 acres, and his corne leasowes, wthall his other landes abutting vpon MrThornburie’s Myll, and so vp to the same forrest, is so holden, 15liprann.

“MrThornburie’s Myll, wthall the landes thereunto belonginge, is so holden, 20li.

“Richard Wirgan’s land, nere to a place called the Meine, wthin the said forrest, adioyning to the woodside, is of that same tenure, 10li.

“Christofer Bunn holdeth parcell of the same landes wchI have not viewed, 10li.

“The Earle of Pembrooke holdeth by lease for 5 yeres yet to come, Whitemayde Parke, wchwas taken out of the forrest, of the like tenure, 20li.

“Sir Edward Winter’s parke from the woodeside to the launde is of the like tenure, together wththe 2 highwaies wchhave bene inclosed out of the forrest wthin this 20 yeres, 30li.

“Widowe Earwoode’s ground from MrCarpenter’s to the forrest side is of the same tenure, 15li.

“Thomas Dininge’s Myll, called Breame, wthall the landes and tenements thereto belonging, is so holden, as allso his house and land upon the hill, and all other his landes towardes Breame likewise.

“Item, all the lands from Conyers bridge, being a great quantity, to the forrest, are belonging to the same landes, but lately aliened & sould by deed, & now holden by demise, are of like tenure, being parcell of the forrest, 40li.

“Mr. Jeames, of Bristoll, holdeth 100liper ann. of the same tenure wthin the forrest.

“Mdthese are not halfe the landes on that side the forrest, but towards Michell Deane & little Deane there is muche more.

“Item, Willm. Hall hath land there wcha Dyer holdeth vnder him, & was taken out of the Kinge’s comon, together wthother lands not yet throughly viewed.

“Item, all Wrurdyne is much more land, wchshall be viewed & sett downe hereafter.

“Item, Stanton’s myne, wthmuch other land vnviewed, is so holden.

“All wchparticulars doe but conteine but the least parte of the landes holden by the foresaid tenure.”

Further particulars, of the same character as the above, and forming a part of the series now given, occur in the records of another survey, as follows:—

“Rent reserved for the farme of two Messuages and one Watermill, of which two Messuages one is called Sulley, the other Redmore; And of 5 cotages, with gardens and orchards to the same belonginge; and of one 30 Acres of Land, Meadow, Pasture, Arrable, and Woodland; Some whereof are called Salley fields, Gumspitt, Le Harper, Diwardens, Broadfeild, Radmore, Coppier, Kew-grove, Martin’s Wall, and Ediland, conteyninge togethercccxlviiacres,one rood, and one perch, late in the occupacon of Edward James, lying in the fforest of Deane, in the County of Gloucester, of the yearely value ofvisandviiidandivspenny halfepenny.

“And of six Messuages, six Barnes, gardens, and orchards to the same belongings, And ofxvi. several Closes of Land, Meadowe, Pasture, Arrable Land, and Woodland; Two whereof are called Cownedge, ten called Digges, one called Bradley, one Beggars’ Thorne mead, one called Marshall’s grove, and the other called ffernefeilde, and one other called Bradley, conteyninge in the whole Threescore and ten acres and three roods, lying in the fforest aforesaid, late in the occupation of Robert Pearke, of the yearly value ofiisandvid, &c. &c. &c.

“The names of the officers belonging to his Mtiesfforrest of Deane in Com’ Glouc., viz., the Earle of Pembrooke is now High Cunstable of the same fforest.  William Winter and Roger Myners, Esqrs, or one of them, is deputie Cunstable to the said Earle, & they keepe Courtes every 3 weeks at StBreuilles, and allso every 6 weekes at the Speach House, or Court of Attachment wthin the same fforrest.  William Carpenter is Steward of StBreuills Courtes & the said Speach Court or Attachementes courtes.  Robert Bridgeman is Bailiff for all the said Courtes, and allso in all the liberties in the said fforrest, and James Yennys is his deputie Bayliff.  Mdevery tenantes & the borderers doe take tymber for their buildings as allso hedge woods to inclose their own groundes, & take fyring at their pleasure wthin the fforrest, & sell their owne woodes and the woodes of the landes wthin mentioned, to the great spoile of the Kinge’s woodes wthin the said fforrest.”

Clamea posita in Itinere Forestæ de Deane tento apud Castrum Glouc. in com. Glouc. die Iovis decimo die Iulij anno Regni Domini Caroli nunc Regis Angliæ decimo coram Henrico Comite de Holland prænobilis Ordinis Garterii Milite Capitali Justitiario ac Justitiariis Itinerantibus omnium Forestarum Chacearum parcorum et warrennarum Domini Regis citra Trentam.

(18) Foresta de Deane in Comitatu Glouc.Et modo ad hanc curiam venit Willielmus Skynne, per Edwardum Offley attornatum suum, et dicit quod ipse est seisitus de antiquo mesuagio in Plattwell in parochia de Newland et de viginti acris terræ prati et pasturæ et de diversis horreis stabulis, Anglice barnes Stables, et aliis necessariis edificiis super terram prædictam ab antiquo edificatis in parochia de Newland infra Forestam de Deane prædictam in dominico suo ut de feodo, et pro se et hæredibus suis clamat has libertates privilegia et franchesias sequentia tanquam ad mesuagium terram pratum et pasturam et cætera edificia prædicta pertinentia et spectantia, videlicet pro necessaria reedificatione et reparatione dicti mesuagii sui et aliorum antiquorum edificiorum suorum super terram et tenementa sua prædicta existentium, quod ipse per visum et allocationem forestariorum et viridariorum Forestæ prædictæ de bosco et maeremio domini Regis super vasta et communia Forestæ prædictæ crescentibus de tempore in tempus capere et percipere potest.  Et quod forestarii et viridarii Forestæ prædictæ post requisitionem per ipsum Willielmum Skynne eisdem factam apud Curiam domini Regis infra Forestam prædictam tentam vocatam Le Speech Court, debent ire videre et appunctuare boscum et maeremium in vastis et communibus Forestæ prædictæ sic ut præfertur crescentia prædictis necessariis reedificationibus et reparationibus suis dicti mesuagii et aliorum edificiorum suorumsupradictorum et eidem Willielmo Skynne inde allocationem facere.  Clamat etiam pro necessariis estoveriis suis in dicto antiquo mesuagio comburendis et expendendis ad libitum suum capere de mortuis et siccis arboribus dicti domini Regis in vastis et communibus locis Forestæ prædictæ existentibus.  Clamat etiam communiam pasturæ in omnibus locis apertis et communicalibus Forestæ prædictæ pro omnibus averiis suis communicalibus super terras et tenementa sua prædicta levantibus et cubantibus omnibus anni temporibus (mense vetito solummodo excepto).  Clamat etiam habere pawnagium pro omnibus porcis suis super terras et tenementa sua prædicta levantibus et cubantibus in omnibus vastis Forestæ prædictæ tempore pawnagii, Reddendo domino Regi annuatim summam unius denarii pro pawnagio prædicto per nomen de Swinesilver et non amplius.  Et pro titulo ad has libertates privilegia et franchesias sic ut præfertur superius per ipsum clamata, idem Willielmus Skynne ulterius dicit quod ipse et omnes antecessores sui et omnes illi quorum statum ipse nunc habet in mesuagio terra et tenementis supradictis a tempore cujus contrarii memoria hominum non existit in contrarium usi fuerunt et consueverunt de tempore in tempus facere sectam ad Curiam dicti domini Regis et prædecessorum suorum Regum et Reginarum Angliæ apud Castrum suum Sancti Briavelli de tribus septimanis in tres septimanas, ac etiam annuatim solvere feodo firmario domini Regis Forestæ prædictæ pro tempore existenti vel ejus ballivo redditum octo solidorum et octo denariorum ad usum dicti domini Regis.  Ac etiam annuatim solvere dicto feodo firmario vel ejus ballivo summam unius denarii in nomine de Swinesilver ad usum dicti domini Regis.  Et quod ipse præfatus Willielmus Skynne et omnes antecessores et omnes ili quorum statum ipse nunc habet in mesuagio terris et tenementis supradictis ratione soctæ ad Curiam dicti domini Regis et redditus octo solidorum et octo denariorum prædictorum ac summæ unius denarii in nomine de Swinesilver sic ut præfertur per ipsum de tempore in tempus domino Regi factorum et solutorum usi fuerunt et a toto prædicto tempore cujus contrarii memoria hominum non existit in contrarium uti consueverunt omnibus et singulis libertatibus privilegiis et franchesiis modo et forma prout per ipsum Willielmum Skynne superius sunt clamata tanquam ad prædictum mesuagium terras et tenementa prædicta spectantia et pertinentia, et eis omnibuset singulis juxta vim formam et effectum clamei sui prædicti usi fuerunt, et idem Willielmus Skynne adhuc utitur prout ei bene licet.  Et hoc paratus est verificare prout curia consideraverit unde idem Willielmus Skynne petit prædicta libertates privilegia et franchesias hic ut præfertur per ipsum superius clamata sibi et hæredibus suis allocari juxta clameum suum prædictum.

Tobias Rose.

An Account of the Admeasurement of Trees in Dean Forest; viz., A, an Oak near the Woodman’s in Shutcastle; B, “Jack of the Yat,” an Oak Tree on the Coleford and Mitcheldean Road; C, a large Oak in Sallow Vallets; D, an Oak which appears to be formed of two Oaks grown together, on the Lodge Hill, 300 yards west of York Lodge; E, a black Italian Poplar in the Garden at Whitemead.  All taken at six feet from the ground.

[Note: In each table, Inc = Increase in Size.]

A

B[265]

C[265a]

D[265b]

E

Inc

Inc

Inc

Inc

Inc

Ft.ins

ins

Ft.ins

ins

Ft.ins

ins

Ft.ins

ins

Ft.ins

ins

Oct 1814

3  9

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

„  1816

3 10⅝

1⅝

-

-

-

-

17  2

-

-

-

„  1818

3 11⅝

1

-

-

-

-

17  3

1

0 11½

-

„  1820

4  0⅞

-

-

-

-

17  7⅛

4⅛

-

-

„  1822

4  2⅝

-

-

-

-

18  0¼

5⅛

-

-

„  1824

4  4½

1⅞

-

-

-

-

18  3¾

-

-

„  1826

4  5½

1

-

-

-

-

18  9¾

6

-

-

„  1828

4  8

-

-

-

-

18 11¾

2

-

-

„  1830

4 10

2

-

-

12  4½

-

19  0½

4  3

-

„  1832

4 10¾

-

-

-

-

19  1¾

-

-

„  1834

4 11¼

-

-

-

-

19  4

6  1¾

-

„  1836

5  0

-

-

-

-

19  9

5

6  9

„  1838

5  0¾

17  9

12 10½

6

20  2

5

7  0½

„  1840

5  1

17 10

1

12 10¾

20  4

2

7  7

„  1842

5  1¼

17 11¼

12 11½

20  8

4

8  0

5

„  1844

5  3½

18  2¾

13  1

-

-

8 10

10

„  1846

5  4¾

18  3½

13  2½

21  0

4

9  3¼

„  1848

5  6

18  5¼

13  4

21  4

4

9 10

„  1850

5  6½

18  6

13  4¾

21  6½

10  2

4

„  1852

5  7

18  6½

13  5¼

21  8

10  8

6

„  1854

cut down

-

18  7¼

13  7½

21 10

2

11  2½


Back to IndexNext