CENTENNIAL EXERCISES.

Theodore H. Belyea, Fred C. Fisher

Rev. S. McCully Black, M.A., D.D.

Upon August 23rd, 1909, occurred the death of Rev. S. McCully Black, at his home in this city. For many years one of the prominent members of our Church, he is still better known as for a period of nineteen years the esteemed editor of the “Messenger and Visitor,” and, as it has been more latterly called, “The Maritime Baptist.”

Dr. Black was born in Amherst, N. S., January 28th, 1846. His youth was spent in Amherst, where he received his preliminary training at the County Academy. In 1868 he entered Horton Academy. He was graduated from Acadia University in 1874, and in 1876, after a brilliant course of study, he received the Degree of B. A. from Harvard University. His theological studies were pursued at Newton. He held pastorates in Berwick, Liverpool, Westport and Kentville all in Nova Scotia. In August, 1890, he was called to the editorial chair of the “Messenger and Visitor,” which he filled with marked ability until 1905 when, on the amalgamation of the “Messenger and Visitor” and the “Religious Intelligencer,” he became senior editor of “The Maritime Baptist,” in association with Rev. Dr. Joseph McLeod, and continued as such until the time of his death.

On October 17th, 1909, Rev. Mr. McMaster resigned from the pastorate, the resignation to take effect upon the first Sunday of November.

Rev. W. W. McMaster is a native of England, and received his early education there. Later he entered the McMaster University where he graduated B.A., B.Th., in 1896. After serving three years as pastor of the Baptist Church at Tiverton, Ontario, he was called in 1899 as first pastor of the Fourth Avenue Church, Ottawa. During his seven years at Ottawa, he was largely instrumental in building what is said to be one of the most beautiful Baptist Churches in Canada. He was pastor of this Church from May, 1906, to October, 1909, when he resigned, shortly afterwards taking charge of the First Baptist Church at Washington, D. C.

Annual Business Meeting, 1910.

At the Annual Business Meeting held January llth, 1910, the Treasurer's report showed receipts for 1909 from all sources $10,613.00 and expenditure $10,603.00.

Included in the above expenditure is the following for Denominational and other objects:

Expenditures

Additions during the past year: by baptism 3, by letter 3. Loss: by death 9, by dismission 9. Present Membership 488.

Rev. Frederick S. Porter, M.A., B.D.

The Centennial Exercises of the Church were held May 22, 23, 24 and 25, 1910. All the meetings were largely attended and of a highly interesting character. The Historical Sermon delivered Sunday morning by Rev. G. O. Gates, covered the history of the Baptists of the Maritime Provinces, during the past One Hundred Years. It was a very able effort entailing a vast amount of research on the part of Dr. Gates, who for an hour and a half held the close attention of an audience which filled the auditorium to its utmost capacity.

At the Social and Reception to Dr. and Mrs. Gates, held Tuesday evening, a number of the city pastors were present and delivered brief addresses. At this meeting portraits of the late Deacon and Mrs. Dyall, which had been presented to the Church by Mr. Robert Ewing, were unveiled by Dr. Gates, who paid an eloquent and well deserved tribute to the worth of these departed members.

In the course of his remarks, Dr. Gates said: He had been looking forward for a quarter of a century to the present occasion. It had been the dream of his life that he would be permitted to take part in the exercises in connection with the Centennial Celebration of the old Church where he had officiated as pastor for so long.

The closing meeting was held on Wednesday evening. After reading of Scripture by Dr. Hay, the chairman, and prayer by Rev. Joseph McLeod, D.D., the writer gave a summary of the History of the Church, which took forty minutes in delivery, and was followed by the Revs. G. O. Gates, David Hutchinson, and A. S. Lewis, each of whom in order eloquently presented the subject assigned him, viz., The Church of the Past,—The Present,—and The Future. Deacon D. Hunt read an account of the mortgages that had been on the present buildings, after which Deacon S. H. Davis and Trustee John Vanwart coming to the platform consigned the remaining mortgage to the flames, while the large congregation rose to their feet and sang “Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow,” and the Church bell rang out a joyous peal.

The music at all the services, which was of a high order, was furnished by the choir assisted by leading soloists of the City, and was under the direction of Mr. George T. Cooper, Choir Leader, while the Organist, Mr. Stanley E. Fisher, presided at the organ.

The following is the complete programme of the exercises:

Morning Service . . . . . 11 o'clock

DOXOLOGY AND INVOCATIONHYMN NO. 17, “O Worship the Lord in the beauty of Holiness”

RESPONSIVE READING, PSALM XC.

CHANT, PSALM. XCVIII.—“O sing Unto the Lord a New Song”

READING SCRIPTURETe Deum Laudamus in G, (J. L. Hopkins) . . . THE CHOIR

Prayer.

Offering.

HYMN No. 33, . . . “My God how Wonderful Thou Art”

SERMON: REV. G. O. GATES, D. D.Subject, “A Centennial Review—Here and There during A Hundred Years.”

Benediction.

Sunday School, 2.30 p.m.SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY SERVICE.

EVENING SERVICE, . . . 7 O’CLOCK

DOXOLOGY AND INVOCATIONHYMN No. 149, . . . “All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name”

READING SCRIPTURE

SOLO, . . . “Hear My Prayer,” . . .MendelssohnMISS CATHERS.

PRAYER

ANTHEM, . . . “I will Sing of Thy Power,” . . .Sullivan

OFFERING

HYMN No. 163, . . . “Jesus, Thou Joy of Loving Hearts”

SERMON, . . . Subject: “A Gracious Promise”REV. G. O. GATES, D.D.

Quartette, . . . “There is a Land.” . . .M. CrowninshieldMISS CATHERS, MRS. GRANT, MESSRS. COOPER AND KINGSMILL

HYMN No. 151, . . . “Crown Him with Many Crowns”

BENEDICTION.

MASS MEETING

Baptist Women's Missionary Aid Societies of St. John.

CHAIRMAN, MRS. N. C. SCOTT, President Germain Street Society.

HYMN.

BIBLE READING.

PRAYER.

Historical Sketch of the Society, . . . MRS. LEBARON VAUGHAN

SELECTIONS ON NORTHWEST MISSIONS.

SOLO, . . .MRS. GRANT

ADDRESS, . . . Subject, “Grande Ligne Mission”REV. G. O. GATES, D.D.

SILVER OFFERING FOR HOME MISSIONS.

MASS MEETING, 8 P.M.

Baptist Young Peoples Societies of St. John.

CHAIRMAN: MR. C. R. WASSON President Germain Street Society.

HYMN No. 416, . . .“Onward, Christian Soldiers”

ANTHEM, “Sing Alleluia Forth,” (P. A. Schnecker) THE CHOIR

READING SCRIPTURE.

SOLO, . . . “Fear Not Ye, O Israel,” Dudley BuckMR. JAMES W. GRIFFITH.

Prayer.

DUET, . . . “I Waited for the Lord,”MendelssohnMRS. CROCKETT, MISS CATHERS.

HISTORICAL SKETCH OF GERMAIN STREET SOCIETY

Offering.

HYMN No. 402, . . . “Rescue the Perishing”

ADDRESS, “Ideals” . . . REV. A. S. LEWIS, Yarmouth, N. S.

HYMN No. 822, . . . “How Firm a Foundation”

Benediction.

NOTE.—The Germain Street Baptist Y. P. S. C. E. was organized on February 12, 1883, and is the oldest in Canada.

COMMITTEE IN CHARGE:THE LADIES ASSOCIATION.THE WILLING WORKERSCHAIRMAN, DEACON WILLIAM LEWIS

Prayer.

SELECTION, . . . Germain Street Baptist Male Quartette

SPEECHES BY VISITING PASTORS.

SOLO, . . . MR. KINGSMILL

SELECTION, . . . Germain Street Baptist Male Quartette

REFRESHMENTS.

NOTE.—The Centennial Committee was composed of the following Brethren acting in conjunction with the Historical Committee: W. C. Cross, Chairman, G. F. H. Buerhaus, W. F. Nobles, L.W. Simms, F. C. Fisher, S. H. Davis, J.W.Vanwart and Dr. G. U.

CHAIRMAN, DR. G. U. HAY.

DOXOLOGY AND INVOCATION.

HYMN No. 36, . . . “O God, Our Help in Ages Past”

READING SCRIPTURE AND PRAYER.

ANTHEM, “Praise the Lord, ye Heavens Adore Him,”E. TurnerTHE CHOIR.

HISTORICAL SKETCH OF CHURCH, . . . Mr. T. D. Denham

Offering.

HYMN No. 150, . . . “Rejoice, the Lord is King”

ADDRESS, . . . Subject, “The Church of the Past”REV. G. O. GATES, D.D.

SOLO, . . . “My Loved One Rest,”P. Douglas BirdPROFESSOR L. W. TITUS.

ADDRESS, . . . Subject, “The Church of the Present”REV. D. HUTCHINSON.

SOLO, . . . “O, Rest in the Lord,” . . .MendelssohnMISS BLENDA THOMSON.

ADDRESS, . . . Subject, “The Church of the Future”REV. A. LEWIS

HYMN No. 415, . . . “Forward be our Watchword”

HISTORY OF MORTGAGE, . . . DEACON D. HUNT(Treasurer of Church)

BURNING OF MORTGAGE.

BENEDICTION.

Call to Rev. F. S. Porter.

On June 5th, 1910, was extended a call to Rev. F. S. Porter, of Liverpool, N. S. In accepting the call, on June 14th, Brother Porter wrote: “I deem it a peculiar favor to serve the historic Germain Street Church and to follow in the footsteps of the mighty men of God who have served you in the capacity of spiritual overseers. May their fervency and self-sacrificing devotion to the cause of truth be perpetuated in the coming pastorate.”

Brother Porter enters upon his labors with us on the 3rd Sunday of September with the assurance of the unanimous and hearty support of the membership of the Church, upon what we earnestly pray and confidently expect may be a very successful pastorate.

Rev. F. S. Porter was born in Fredericton, N. B., where his father, Rev. T. H. Porter, was pastor of the Brunswick Street Baptist Church. He received his elementary and business education in that city. Having decided to devote himself to the ministry, he entered Acadia University from which in 1906 he graduated with honors, the following year obtaining his M.A. Degree in course. He pursued his theological studies at Rochester Theological Seminary, graduating from that institution in 1908 and receiving his Degree of B.D. the following year. He was ordained at Woodstock, N. B., July llth, 1907. He supplied a. number of pulpits in New Brunswick during his summer vacations, and was called to Liverpool Baptist Church in 1908. Married May 20th, 1908, to Miss Edith W. Spurden, of Fredericton, N. B. After a successful pastorate of over two years, during which he was instrumental in the paying off of the debt of $1,500, he has been unanimously called to the pastorate of this Church.

Thus has this Historic Church completed the span of its first One Hundred Years as a witness for the Master. From small and insignificant beginnings, God has seen fit to graciously extend our borders to the present enlarged sphere of influence as the Premier Baptist Church of our City. With grateful hearts we review the past with loyal confidence in God we anticipate the future:

O backward-looking son of time,The new is old, the old is new,The cycle of a change sublime still sweeping through.

But life shall on and upward go;Th’ eternal step of Progress beatsTo that great anthem, calm and slow, which God repeats.

God works in all things; all obeyHis first propulsion from the night:Wake thou and watch!—the world is gray with morning light.

—John Greenleaf Whittier

Departed Deacons.

Departed Deacons.

[EXPLANATION—In the following pages will be found brief biographical notices of a number of our departed Deacons—compiled, as has been noted, by Brother T. H. Belyea, Church Clerk, with the exception of the first four names, which the writer has added from personal recollections, at Brother Belyea’s request. T. D. D.]

In preparing the biographical sketches of the devoted Christian workers who have served the Church in the office of Deacon, and are now in the presence of their Lord, we had hoped to make the list much more complete than we have been able to do. In some cases all the members of the families of our departed Deacons being dead or having removed from the city and our being unable to locate them, has made it impossible to secure the material for writing an account of their lives.

In the main part of this history some reference has been made to those who filled the office in the earlier years, namely: Thomas Pettingill, Jeremiah Drake, Benjamin Gale, James Holman, Dr. Simon Fitch and A. McL. Seely. Among those who filled the office in later years we recall with grateful hearts the following brethren:

SAMUEL KINSMAN besides filling the Deacon’s office, acted for many years as Treasurer of the Communion Fund, and so long as he was able was always present at the Monthly Conference Meeting, and the older members will recall his oft repeated testimony—“Hitherto the Lord hath helped me.”

WILLIAM BLIZARD A man of retiring disposition, and with few words to say in public, but one whose life spoke loudly through his works in connection with the business affairs of this Church—he having served as Trustee as well as Deacon for many years. Some of the older members will remember his faithful work as usher, he being always at his post on the first stroke of the bell and remaining till the last visitor was seated. For some years after its completion, the vestibule of the former edifice was not protected, as the present one is, by being closed in with inner doors, and heated as well, so that in winter with the doors wide open the post of usher was not one to be coveted.

W. H. HALL, though serving for a shorter term than others of the Deacons, on account of his removal to Woodstock, did faithful work while remaining with us. For some time he acted as Chorister of the Sunday School, during the superintendency of Brother T. P. Davies.

GEORGE W. MARSTERS, after following the sea for years as a master mariner, settled in this city as the representative of the Bureau Veritas, and joined this Church, which he afterward served as Deacon till his removal to St. Martins, where he died. He left behind him not only a reputation for upright Christian character in the community, but to the Church a constant reminder in the Bell which weekly calls us to worship.

It seems but fitting that some reference should be made to Deacon GILBERT M. STEEVES, who previous to his removal to Liverpool, England—though still in the prime of life had—faithfully served as Deacon, Trustee, and in other departments of the work of the Church. As a man of sound business judgment his advice in connection with the finances of the Church was most valuable, he being the first Chairman of the Finance Committee. He also manifested a great interest in the Sunday School, and filled various offices therein. He is still living at Liverpool.

DEACON SOLOMON HERSEY,—Mr. Hersey was born on the Kennebec River about ten miles from Wiscessit in Maine, November 1st, 1783.

When about twenty-one years of age he came to St. George and engaged in milling and other branches of business. In 1820, seeking a wider scope for his abilities and business energy, he came to St. John, and for fifty years he was one of its foremost citizens helping forward its progress.

In 1840 he was baptized by the Rev. David Harriss, was received into the fellowship of the Church, and later chosen to fill the office of Deacon in 1849; so that for thirty years he was a member, and for over twenty-one years an officer of the Church.

His death occurred on the eighty-seventh anniversary of his birth, November 1st, 1870. “Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.”

DEACON EDMUND H. DUVAL was born at Hounsditch, London, February, 1805. In early life he was converted and united with the congregation of which Rev. Henry Althans was pastor. Subsequently he was baptized by Rev. John Howard Hinton, and became a member of the Devonshire Square Baptist Church. Coming in contact with many Jews, he sought their conversion, which quickened in him a missionary spirit, and led him to a more thorough study of God's Word.

In the year 1837 he assumed charge of a school in London. Having distinguished himself as a teacher, the British School Society employed him as a lecturer, to promote the interests of education. In the same interest he was induced to come to this Province in 1845. As principal of a training and model school he discharged his duties faithfully, and to the close of life he was equally distinguished as an efficient Inspector of Schools.

While faithful in the discharge of his secular duties, he was active and zealous in the work of Christ. He was a member and Licentiate of the Germain Street Baptist Church. He labored in the Sabbath School, and for the cause of temperance, and preached the gospel most acceptably, benefiting greatly the destitute and neglected portions of our Province.

At Willow Grove he did much towards the erection of an excellent chapel, and for the elevation of the colored people there. On Friday the 20th September, 1878, his mortal remains were interred near the chapel at Willow Grove. Full of years, and much beloved, he entered his final rest on the 17th September, leaving one son and three daughters to mourn their loss.

DEACON CHAS. C. PARKER.—Charles C. Parker was born in Woolwich, England, October 15th, 1817, and was educated in the Duke of York's School for Soldiers Orphans. He joined the British army in his fifteenth year, and served with honored fidelity for twenty-six years, first in the 90th Infantry and afterwards in the 72nd Highlanders. He settled in St. John in 1858, from which place he departed “to be with Christ” October 22nd, 1895, aged seventy-eight years. When Mr. Parker came to reside in this country he was a consistent member of the Church of England, but shortly thereafter, during a religious revival conducted by the late Evangelist A. B. Earle, in obedience to his convictions regarding the teachings of God's Word he was baptized along with his wife, and united with the Brussels Street Church, under the pastoral care of the late Samuel Robinson. He was elected to the Diaconate of that Church and also served for several years as Superintendent of the Sunday School. In 1884 he, with his wife united with the Germain Street Church by letter from the Brussels Street Church. Here also he became a member of the Diaconate, in which office he served the Church most faithfully eleven years, when he was called to the higher service of his Lord and Saviour.

DEACON JOHN H. HARDING.—Deacon John H. Harding passed most of his life in the city. In his business he showed much enterprise and ability, and had been rewarded with a good measure of success. For many years he had been connected with the Marine Department of the Civil Service and was regarded by his department and the general public as a careful and competent officer. He became a member of the Church when a lad, and was connected with it through a large part of its history.

He was appointed Deacon February 2nd, 1877, which office as well as that of a member of the Board of Trustees and other important offices in the Church he filled faithfully and well. In him the pastor ever had a friend who was wont to express his appreciation in kindly words and generous deeds. His death occurred at his home on Germain street, Wednesday, May 22nd, 1901, at the age of eighty-three years.

“Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord.”

DEACON JAMES DYALL.—Brother James Dyall united with the Church by baptism March 9th, 1856. For many years he faithfully served the Church as Deacon, and Treasurer of the Poor Fund. Quiet and retiring in his manner, with but little to say in public, he conscientiously performed the duties intrusted to him, thereby speaking the more loudly, through his works and exemplary Christian character and life, than mere words could have done. To many whom he assisted both in his official and private capacity, his memory will be ever revered. His death occurred April 18th, 1888, in the sixty-seventh year of his age.

Elsewhere in this History mention is made of the large amount left to the Church by his wife at her death, which was in accordance with our brother’s wish. To those of us who knew him well, his memory will be ever green.

DEACON GEORGE A. GARRISON.—Deacon Garrison united with the church by letter, November 22nd, 1823. He became a member of the Board of Deacons, the responsible duties of which office he filled with much acceptance, as well as the duties as Clerk of the Church until his departure from the city in 1870. Deacon Garrison, who had served many years as Deacon, Clerk, and Sunday School Superintendent, on leaving the city in 1870 to reside in Washington, was presented with a purse as an appreciation of his labors. He afterwards returned to the city, and was with us till his death in 1887. At the time of his death he was the oldest member of the Church.

DEACON MANUEL FRANCIS was born in the Faroe Islands, Portugal. Being left an orphan at a very early age he was adopted by a couple who became father and mother to him in all but in name. While a young man he came to Canada and made his home in St. John. He first went to sea, engaging in the whaling business which at that time was not only a popular but also a lucrative avocation. Becoming tired of the sea, he retired from it and permanently settled here, and again took up the trade of his youth, that of a master workman in the shoe business. By careful and strict attention to his work his business gradually developed from small beginnings to one of the leading manufacturing and retail Boot and Shoe business firms of our city.

He was converted, and united with the Germain Street Baptist Church March 26th, 1848. Shortly after his uniting with the Church he was made a member of the Board of Deacons, and was also for many years the Treasurer of the Poor Fund.

Deacon Francis was a man of strong religious convictions, of sound judgment and of a loving and sympathetic disposition. He was loyal to his Church, a staunch supporter of his pastor and a loving friend to the poor. “A friend in need is a friend indeed” was fully exemplified in the life of Deacon Francis in the multiplicity of his quiet and unostentatious deeds of charity. He died September 29th, 1891.

“Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.”Board of Trustees.

DEACON JOHN FISHER. Deacon John Fisher was born in Plymouth, England. In early manhood he left his old home and came to Canada and settled in Weymouth, N. S. Subsequently he came to St. John, which he made his permanent home. He first laboured as foreman in the shipyard of the late James Smith. Later he commenced to build ships on his own account, and soon became one of the foremost shipowners of our city. In March, 1853, he was baptized and united with the Church. Some time after he was chosen a Deacon, in which office as well as that of Trustee he rendered most effective service up to the time of his death. He ever displayed a hearty interest and co-operation in all the concerns of the Church, and contributed liberally of his time and means in assisting in carrying on the work of Him whom he loved and served. His strong vigorous faith, sound judgment and zealous activity made him a power for good both in the Church and in the Community. He died December 8th, 1882, in the eighty-fourth year of his age.

“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.”

DEACON JAMES J. BOSTWICK. Deacon J. J. Bostwick united with the Church by letter from the Second Cambridge Baptist Church, Queen's County, N. B., January 4th, 1867. His sound judgment, executive ability and conservative business acumen placed him at once in the active work of the Church, and from the first he was able to secure, and ever enjoyed in a marked degree, the confidence and love of his brethren.

In 1879 he became a member of the Board of Deacons. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees and of the Finance Committee for about as long a time as he was a member of the Diaconate, while at the same time he was identified in one way or another with many of the other branches of Church work.

He loved the Church and was constantly seeking to promote her interests, and was seldom if ever absent from any of its meetings when it was possible for him to be present.

The pastor found in him a supporter ever strong in sympathy and words of encouragement, and a friend to be relied upon. His death came suddenly to both family, friends and the Church on Sunday, February llth, 1900, while comparatively a young man, being only in the fifty-third year of his age.

DEACON THOMAS S. SIMMS.—“A man to whom God hath given honor.” Deacon Simms was born near Portland, Maine, September 12th, 1845. As a young man he took up his residence in St. John and engaged in the Brush making business in partnership with John Murphy, Esq. In 1872 he branched out on his own account and through his executive ability, energy and integrity, his business gradually forged to the front until the Brush making Factory of T. S. Simms & Co., Ltd., became one of the foremost and most up-to-date factories and business houses not only of our city but also of Canada.

Mr. Simms united with the Church in 1876 by letter from a Free Baptist Church at Portland, Maine, thus antedating the union of the Baptist and Free Baptist Churches, which has since taken place. Here also his abilities were soon recognized and by his readiness and willingness to give not only of his means but also of his services and advice he was ever one of the Church s principal office bearers. He became a member of the Diaconate, March 31st, 1879. He also filled from time to time the office of Trustee, and many other important positions in the Church. In the Sunday School he filled the position of Superintendent for twenty-five years. Mr. Simms took a great interest in the Denomination at large, in Home and Foreign Missions and in the New Brunswick Sunday School Association. He was a zealous advocate and worker in the Layman's Missionary movement, being at the time of his death Vice-President of the Provincial Council of that body. His sudden death on Friday, December 18th, 1908, removed from our midst one of our strongest men, whose loss was felt with sincere regret and sorrow by his family, his friends, the Church and the Community at large.

DEACON LAURENCE McMANN.—Deacon McMann was baptized September 5th, 1858, during the pastorate of Rev. I. E. Bill. He soon identified himself with the activities of the Church, and was at all times one of its most devoted members. For many years he served the Church as Deacon, Trustee and Treasurer, and ever esteemed it a privilege to do all in his power to advance its interests. After a long life devoted to the service of his Saviour, when nearing the Borderland, he said that his only regret was that he had not done more for Him. His death occurred May 23rd, 1881, in the seventy-ninth year of his age.

Since making out the list of the members of the Church at the time of our Centennial, three have passed to that bourne from whence no traveler e’er returns.

Our sister, Miss Hattie Gertrude McNichol, daughter of Mrs. Harriet and the late John McNichol, on the eleventh of June.

Our sister, Miss Alice Josephine Woodley, daughter of Mrs. Rebecca and the late John Woodley, on the twenty-eighth of August.

Our aged sister, Mrs. Mary Spurr Harding, widow of our beloved brother, the late Deacon John H. Harding, on the seventeenth of September, in her eighty-ninth year. For some time previous to her death, Mrs. Harding was the oldest member of this Church, and so long as her strength permitted, was a regular attendant at the Sunday and week-night services. For years she took an active part in the work of the Church, and was a leader in the women's societies. Her gentle, loving spirit and thoughtful consideration of others, as well as her simple faith and trust in her Heavenly Father, endeared her to all the members of the Church, and those who knew her longest, loved her best.

“Oh, though oft depressed and lonely,All our fears are laid aside;If we but remember only,Such as these have lived and died!”

The church that was on this corner, and destroyed by the fire of 1877 was free from debt, the mortgage and floating liability having been paid in 1873. The present Church and Parsonage were built in 1877-78, and cost complete, furnished, about $46,000.

The first mortgage put on the property was for $2,500, on the parsonage only. It was dated December 4th, 1878, and given by the Trustees to Mary K. Carey, wife of Rev. G. M. W. Carey, then Pastor of the Church. It was for five years, at a rate of interest of seven per cent, per annum, but in March, 1881 a little over two years after it was cancelled, and another one for the same amount, at six per cent, rate of interest, was given to Sophia Isabella Bliss Robinson, of Fredericton. In 1878 a mortgage for $9,000 was put on the Church, particulars of which is given below. On November 24th, 1884, a mortgage for $2,100, also at six per cent, interest, was given to the Executors of the will of the late James H. Moran. This was paid on August 30th, 1893, as follows:

$1,100 from Estate of the late Deacon Dyall.

$500 from Sinking Fund in Savings Bank.

$500 donation from the Executors of the Estate of late James H. Moran. Mr. Moran had subscribed and paid $1,000 towards the new Church before his death.

In regard to the mortgage for $9,000 mentioned above. This was given on February 8th, 1878, to George Thomas, Executor of the Estate of Thomas Gass, Ship Builder, in this city. It was for a period of five years, at six per cent, rate of interest. On June 1st, 1881 a little over three years after, it was assigned to George Wright Gass, of Liverpool, Eng., and on September 30th of the same year Mr. Gass assigned it to Lucy A. Gregory, Widow, of Fredericton, when a new mortgage was made out between the Trustees of this Church and Lucy A. Gregory. This new mortgage was dated October 5th, 1881, and in December, 1884, part of it was transferred to T. W. Daniel, John Boyd and H. W. Frith of this City, Trustees of the Estate of John Gillis; and five years later, January, 1889, $5,000 was assigned to J. Colebrook Carter, of England. On March 7th, 1896, $2,300 was paid on this $9,000 mortgage, reducing it to $6,700, and the rate of interest was reduced to five per cent. After these transfers had been made, the interest on the total amount was paid by the Church to Mr. H. Lawrance Sturdee for Lucy A. Gregory and others. This was done up to 1901 when Mr. Sturdee was paid interest at five per cent, on $1,700 only, and Messrs. G. C. & C. J. Coster, acting for Mr. J. Colebrook Carter, of England, received the interest at five per cent, on $5,000, but in the year 1902, the $9,000 mortgage which had become somewhat mixed up by transfers, etc., was cancelled, and a new mortgage of $8,000 was placed on the Church property, everything being straightened out to the satisfaction of the Trustees and their Solicitor.

From the estate of our late beloved Brother and Sister Dyall, the Trustees were enabled to pay off the mortgage for

$2,500 held by Sophia Isabella Bliss Robinson,

$1,100 on the mortgage held by J. H. Moran s Executors,

$2,300 on the Lucy A. Gregory mortgage, making a total paid on mortgages from this Estate of $5,900. This is in addition to $2,000 given by Brother and Sister Dyall during their lifetime.

You will notice that there were mortgages on this property amounting to $13,600, all at the rate of interest of six per cent, or an annual interest charge on mortgages alone of $870.00. In addition to these mortgages, the Trustees were carrying a heavy liability on notes and unpaid bills. At one time there were $3,770 running in notes, and $2,465 of unpaid bills.

$2,465 of unpaid bills. In 1879 the debt was reduced $4,000, but from the year 1879 to 1902 twenty-three years in all the Church did practically nothing to reduce the mortgages, except the raising of about $600.00 through the Sinking Fund.

In regard to the last mortgage that has just been paid. In 1902 eight years ago the balance due on the $9,000 mortgage was $6,700, at five per cent, rate of interest, and owing to heavy expenditures on the south wall of the Church which was practically rebuilt, and other necessary repairs, and to wipe out some notes then running, the Trustees borrowed from the late William L. Waring and Addie M. McLean, Guardians of Hugh McLean s Infants, $8,000 at four and one-half per cent, rate of interest. This enabled the Trustees to pay off the $6,700 mortgage and all other liabilities of the Church. This mortgage was drawn giving the Trustees the privilege of reducing it $1,000 every two years, and at its expiration in May, 1907, they could pay as much as they wished.

A few months before this mortgage was given, it was decided at one of our business meetings to take a Thanksgiving Offering each year, on the Sunday preceding Thanksgiving, and raise at least $500.00 towards the Mortgage. The result of the appeals each year was beyond our expectations, following amounts being received:

1902 ............... $608.001903 ................. 627.001904 ................. 686.001905 ................. 596.001906 ................. 905.001907 ................. 646.001908 .............. 1,128.001909 .............. 1,075.001910 .............. 2,516.00————Total . . . $8,787.0

The people took hold of the idea with great interest and enthusiasm.

In eight years we have received sufficient money to entirely wipe out the mortgage and partly pay for the improvements recently put on the lower flat of parsonage and Church parlors, and tonight I am glad to report that there is no mortgage on this dear old Germain Street Baptist Church, now one hundred years old. It has been paid in full—cancelled at the Registry Office—and in a few moments we will see it go up in smoke.

During the eight years we have been working to reduce this mortgage nearly all of our people have helped in its reduction, and tonight as we burn it, no one can say that it was paid by only a few, but all have come to our help. Many have had this very much at heart, and denied themselves considerably in order to give their assistance in this noble work.

I am also happy to report that in all the pledges of the past eight years of over $8,000, the shrinkage has been less than one per cent., which speaks well for this dear old Church.

Now Brethren, here is the Mortgage. It is signed for the Trustees of the Church by our late beloved Deacon T. S. Simms, Chairman, and G. U. Hay, Secretary, and is marked “Cancelled by Certificate No. 83,348, May 23, 1910. J. V. McLellan, Registrar.”

DONALDSON HUNT,Treasurer.

May 25. 1910.

T. H. BELYEA,Church Clerk.D. HUNT, Treasurer.

DEACONS.WILLIAM LEWIS. W. H. COLWELL. W. C. CROSS.S. H. DAVIS. DONALDSON HUNT. J. H. WASSON.J. P. DUVAL.

CHURCH STEWARDS.RUPERT G. HALEY DAVID DEARNESS.F. C. FISHER,Treasurer of Denominational Funds.J. W. VANWART AND W. F. NOBLES,Pew Stewards.W. H. COLWELL AND J. H. WASSON,Assistant Treasurers.S. H. DAVIS,Church Accountant.

TRUSTEES.J. W. VANWART. WILLIAM LEWIS. W. H. COLWELL.SILAS McDIARMID. DR. G. U. HAY. DAVID F. BROWN.D. HUNT. W. C. CROSS. E. L. RISING.

FINANCE COMMITTEE.S. H. DAVIS. D. HUNT. W. H. COLWELL.F. C. FISHER. H. H. REID. S. E. FISHER.E. L. RISING. W. F. NOBLES. W. C. CROSS.J. H. WASSON. J. W. VANWART. T. H. BELYEA.R. G. HALEY. H. W. ROBERTSON. CHAS. R. WASSON.LEWIS W.

USHERS.W. F. NOBLES. G. F. H. BUERHAUS. W. H. COLWELL.DR. G. U. HAY. D HUNT. DAVID DEARNESS.H. H. REID. J. W. VANWART. J. P. DUVAL.E. L. RISING. S. H. DAVIS. T. H. BELYEA.J. H. WASSON. F. C. FISHER. W. C. BROWN.

CHOIR COMMITTEE.S. E. FISHER. G. F. H. BUERHAUS.W. F. NOBLES. GEO. W. PARKER.

MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE.THE PASTOR, THE DEACONS AND THE CHURCH CLERK.

BAPTISMAL COMMITTEE.DEACONS S. H. DAVIS, W. H. COLWELL, D. HUNT, ANDTHE CHURCH CLERK.MRS. DEARNESS, MRS. SIMS AND MRS. TITUS.

LAYMAN’S MISSIONARY MOVEMENT COMMITTEE.W. C. CROSS,Convener.W. F. NOBLES. R. G. HAYLEY. H. H. REID.S. E. FISHER. C. R. WASSON. J. W. VANWART.G. F. H. BUERHAUS. S. H. DAVIS. J. H. WASSON.L. W. SIMMS. E. M. SIPPRELL.DAVID F. BROWN,Building Inspector.H. H. REID AND G. F. BURNETT,Auditors.GEO. OLDFORD,Sexton.

ARMSTRONG, Mrs. AndrewALLAN, Mrs. Fred.ALLAN, Mrs. C. B.ARCHIBALD, Mrs. EdgarASHFORD, Hugh G.BARBOUR, Mr. and Mrs. RobertBARBOUR, Miss AliceBELDING, Mrs. ElizaBARTLETT, Mr. and Mrs. RobertBERRYMAN, Miss AnneBARKER, Mrs. G. M.BARKER, Fred R.BARKER, Miss Florence VeraBONNELL, Mrs. W. P.BONNELL, Percy L.BROWN, David F.BELYEA, Mr. and Mrs. T. H.BELYEA, Walter R.BOWMAN, Miss BessieBLACK, Mrs. S. McCullyBLACK, Miss MargaretBELYEA, Mr. and Mrs. A. P.BISSETT, Mr. and Mrs. H. H.BARNES, Mrs. CharlesBARNES, Miss BessieBROWN, Mr. and Mrs. W. C.BROWN, Mr. and Mrs. C. WinterBROWN, Mrs. E. ClintonBURDITT, Miss EdithBURLEY, Mr. and Mrs. AlfredBURNS, Mrs. AndrewBURNETT, G. H.BUERHAUS, Mr. and Mrs. G. F. H.BUERHAUS, William R.BAKER, Mr. and Mrs. Avery O.COMPTON, Miss Annie C.COMPTON, Miss AnnetteCOMPTON, Mrs. F. G.COMPTON, Miss ClineCATHERINE, Mrs. Samuel R.CROSS, Mr. and Mrs. W. C.CROSS, Lois M.CROSS, Audrey F.CROSS, Paul B.CASE, Mrs. Bradbury J.CASE, Miss EulilaCOLWELL, Mr. and Mrs. W. H.COLWELL, Miss AnnieCOLWELL, Miss NettieCOLWELL, Miss EmmaCALHOUN, Mrs. J. R.CHRISTIANSEN, Mr. and Mrs. L.CLIFFORD, ArmstrongCURRIE, Miss AdaCURRIE, Miss RosalieCOOPER, Mr, and Mrs. Geo. T.CHEYNE, Mr. and Mrs. Frank W.COOKSON, Mr. and Mrs. W. A.COOKSON, Miss Hazel S.COOKSON, Miss Ina M.CASSIDY, Mrs. A. F.CARR, Mrs. ArthurCAMPBELL, Mrs. P. W. D.CLARK, Mrs. J. AlfredCAMPBELL, Miss Bertha B.COFFIN, Miss MaryDENHAM, Mr. and Mrs. T. D.DENHAM, William T.DENHAM, Miss MurielDAY, Mrs. Geo. W.DAVIS, Mr. and Mrs. S. H.DAVIS, KennethDAVIS, Vera EdnaDAVIS, Robert W.DICK, Miss EllaDICK, Mrs. H. J.DALEY, Mrs. AnnieDUVAL, Mr. and Mrs. J. P.DUVAL, FosterDUVAL, WilliamDEARNESS, Mr. and Mrs. DavidDEARNESS, Miss MargaretDEARNESS, Arthur J.DURBIN, JohnDEAN, Richard N.DYKEMAN, Mr. and Mrs. F. A.DYKEMAN, Miss LotaDYKEMAN, EwartDODGE, Miss GeorgieDODGE, Miss GladysDODGE, WilliamDISHART, Miss KateDISHART, HattieDUNBRACK, Miss WinnifredDAYE, Mrs. Fred T.ESTABROOK, Mr.and Mrs. Geo.ESTABROOK, Miss MaudESTABROOK, Miss NanESTABROOKS, Mrs. T. H.ESTABROOKS, Miss ElsieESTABROOKS, Miss MarionESTEY, Mrs. Jas. A.ESTEY, Miss LuESTEY, Miss EthelESTEY, Miss AliceESTEY, Miss EvaEVERETT, Mrs. H. L.FRANCIS, Hugh L.FRANCIS, Miss EllaFRANCIS, Sydney S.FISHER, Mrs. E. K.FISHER, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel A.FISHER, Mr. and Mrs. Stanley E.FISHER, Mr. and Mrs. Fred. C.FERRIS, JosephFOWLER, Burpee A.FINLEY, Mrs. JosephGOLDING, Mrs. EmilyGILMOUR, Mrs. A. B.GIFFORD, Mrs. MaryGIFFORD, LewisGIFFORD, Miss MildredGIFFORD, Hildur N.GIFFORD, John T.GARRICK, Miss PearlGRAY, Miss EmmaGRAY, Miss MurielGRAY, Gerald L.HARDING, Mrs. MaryHUNTER, Mrs. Wm. J.HARDING, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. EHARDING, Miss MarionHARDING, Miss OliveHARVEY, Henry P.HATFIELD, Mr. and Mrs. WilsonHATFIELD, Miss NettieHATFIELD, Miss MabelHAY, Dr. and Mrs.HUNT, Mr. and Mrs. DonaldsonHUNT, Henry EverettHUNT, Mrs. Rebecca, Jr.HATFIELD, Mr. and Mrs. S. F.HOLMAN, Mrs. Ada,HOLMAN, Mrs. Frank E.HOLMAN, Harry L.HOLMAN, DouglasHOLMAN, Girda A.HALEY, Mr. and Mrs. H. G.HALEY, Miss GuenHALEY, RayHALEY, Bernard B.HALEY, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth W.HALL, Mrs. KendallHIBBARD, Miss BethJOHNSTON, Miss EmmaKNOX, Mrs. RichardKEIRSTEAD, Clarence S.KING, Mrs. J. W.LEWIS, Deacon WilliamLORDLY, Mrs. SterlingLANE, Mrs. WalterLANE, Mrs. EdithLEE, Mr. and Mrs. Jas. W.LEE, Miss VictoriaLEE, Miss MargueriteLEE, Mrs. RobertLEWIS Mrs. JamesLEWIS, Miss GraceLEWIS, Miss MabelLEWIS, Miss EthelLEWIS, Mrs. WilliamLEWIS, Miss EdnaLEWIS, WentworthLEWIS, Mrs. FrankMAHONY, Mrs. FrankMETZ, Mr. and Mrs. Charles A.MARTIN, Mr. and Mrs. H. C.MARTIN, ChesterMARTIN, Grover C.MARTIN, Miss MelitaMOTT, Mr. and Mrs. H. H.MOTT, ClairMATTHEWS, Miss MaryMORIARTY, Mrs. J. R.MARR, Mrs. H. G.MARR, Miss Helen K.MARR, John H.MULLIN, John R.MULLIN, Tyler B.MORGAN, Mrs. JosephMcLEOD, Miss AlbertaMcNICHOL, Mrs. HarrietMcDIARMID, Mr. and Mrs. SilasMcDIARMID, Miss EnidMcDIARMID, Miss GraceMcDIARMID, Miss AudreyMcDIARMID, Miss ElsieMCLELLAN, Mrs. DavidMcINTYRE, Rev. Dr. and Mrs. W. E.McINTYRE, A. GordonMcINTYRE, WillardMACKINNON, John G.MACKINNON, Miss LizzieMACAULAY, Mrs. GraceMcMANN, BoydMcNALLY, Miss FrancesMACFARLANE, Mrs. John E.McKEE, Mrs. Jas. L.NOBLES, W. F.NORTHRUP, Miss LeahNORTHRUP, Gerald.


Back to IndexNext