Not only about their origin or extraction, but also in what relates to their subsequent history, are the Free-Masons chargeable with propagating the most idle fabrications. Thus they tell us a most strange tale about the grand masterHiram, called alsoHiram Abiff; howthreeout of the 15fellow craftsconspired to assassinate him, which they effected as he was coming out of theSanctum Sanctorum, where he had been praying. This was at noon day. They hid the body, afterwards buried it, and then absconded. These ruffians, whose names wereJubela,Jubelo, andJubelum, were afterwards discovered near Joppa, bythree other fellow crafts, who had gone in pursuit of them. They were then brought before king Solomon, by whose orders they were all three executed. Hiram’s body, being by the king’s order dug out of the grave where the three masonic ruffians had buried it, was afterwards solemnly interred, forsooth, in theSanctum Sanctorum.—The tale is pretty long in some of the masonic books; but this is the substance: and it is very disgraceful to the fabricators and the propagators of it, as it discovers a glaring propensity to the most sottish and profligate kind of lying.—Much might be here added to the same purpose; but this it is hoped will induce the members of this community at Lynn, to review and reject this and every other exceptionable part of their system.
As to the mode of admission, parade about the cardinal points of the compass, where the master and inferior functionaries are stationed, and their forms about tyling the lodge, setting the men to work, and calling them off to take refreshment, &c. &c. they may be all harmless enough, or at least, comparatively so: yet to the serious by-stander, or uninitiated, they can hardly fail of appearing in no small degree frivolous and childish.—Many indeed have deemed the whole system or institution of masonry a designed burlesque upon scripture and religion. But though there may be many circumstances that would seem to bear that way, yet such is the unquestionable respectability of many of its members that it is very certain such a design could never have met with their concurrence or countenance. The fact, that such characters do really belong to this community seems also to prove that there must be some good points pertaining to masonry, which recommend it to their approbation, and hide in a great measure, or at least appear to counterbalance the defects above mentioned. In particular, it is said, that those of this fraternity, not only are much given to conviviality and good fellowship, but also abound in acts of kindness and charity, especially among themselves, and towards their brethren in distress; and even that they are generally among the most active promoters of benevolent deeds, or good works in the places where they reside. If it be really so, it will account for that warm attachment to masonry which many well disposed and respectable persons have often manifested. In short, when we consider the fair and estimable characters of many of our masons, theorder appears respectable: but, on the other hand, when we advert to the forged and absurd tales, and to those idle forms, customs, and ceremonies that are attached to the institution, we cannot help wondering how those worthy members can patiently or possibly endure them, or quietly continue in the connection. But they conceive, no doubt, that the good preponderates, or that the excellencies of masonry outweigh its defects, and satisfy their minds with that consideration. Be it so, it is not meant here to judge or blame them for so doing: they have certainly a very good right to think and act for themselves, so long as no one is thereby wronged or injured.
The present form and organization of the masonic sect appear to be but of very recent origin, and cannot perhaps be traced beyond the era of the revolution. The fraternity soon after began to assume something like its present appearance; and as it consisted mostly of rather suspicious characters, it was for a long while deemed a tory or jacobitical institution. It did not spread very much before the accession of the Brunswick family; after which it multiplied apace, but was still thought to consist, chiefly at least, of disaffected persons and friends of the pretender. In process of time, however, that reproach was completely done away, when it came to be known that not only courtiers, but even some branches of the reigning family were among its members.
The first regular lodge in this town was opened at the White Lion Inn, October 1. 1729. Since which timethere is supposed to have always existed here one or more regular lodges. There are now here three lodges. Two of them deem themselves to all intents and purposes regular and orthodox, but are not willing to allow the third to be so. What is the real ground of this difference, or what it is that constitutes masonic regularity or irregularity, orthodoxy or heterodoxy, is beyond the competency of the present writer to pronounce or explain. He has been informed by some of the Lynn masons, that the whole number of them now in this town, (exclusive, as he understood, of those of the irregular lodge) amount to above five hundred: from which it would seem that masonry is here at this time in a thriving and flourishing condition. As to their great and boasted secret, we shall not presume to guess what it may be, but shall most willingly let it quietly remain among the mysteries, without the least solicitude or wish for its discovery. Nor will we so much as mention the heavy charge which professorRobisonand theFrenchmanbrought some years ago against the whole order; believing as we do that it was totally unfounded.
3.Society of True Britons. This institution did not last long. It seemed not to have any very important object in view. The dignified name it assumed, with the pompous formalities of its organisation, could not therefore insure its permanence. It was established with no small parade, withGovernor,Deputy governor,Secretary,Sword-bearer, &c. together withlawsand aconstitution, which all the members were solemnly toswearto observe, and keep inviolate. The first meetingsof this memorable Society were held in the autumn of 1749; after which they were conducted for sometime in great form: but their proceedings appeared in general very much like a burlesque upon all corporate bodies and social institutions. This might be very easily exemplified, but it would probably afford the reader but little gratification, as we cannot find that the society proved of any material benefit to church or state; or to the town itself—some of whose leading families, however, such as itsBaggesandBrownes, were among its members.[1126]But we will here dismiss the subject and close this section.
Brief account of the Almshouses of Lynn;and also of its Purse-clubs or Benefit Societies.
Of St. Mary Magdalen’s Hospital, or theGaywood Almshouse, which stands a little way out of the town, a pretty long and circumstantial account has been already given, in another part of the work. (see p. 530, &c.)—Exclusive of that, there are here three almshouses, which are all within the town, but of more recent origin than the former. Of these three, by much the most ancient is theBede-house, or old women’s almshouse, over against the New Burying-ground. Near to this, and seemingly about the spot now occupied byMr. Bonnett’s schooland dwelling, stood formerly an almshouse forold men; which being thesouthmostof the two, was probably the reason why the other, according to some old writings, went by the name of theNorth-house. These almshouses appear to have been founded in the 14th century, by some of the original members of one of our ancient Gilds, that ofSt. GilesandSt. Julian. Itis not quite clear that they owed their origin to that gild itself, but rather to some of its most charitable and opulent members; such asEdm. Bellyter, (or Bellyete,) merchant;Tho. Constantyn,Esq; andMargaret, his daughter; andWm. Inot, merchant. The gild was constituted in 1384, but the date of the erection of these almshouses, is involved in considerable obscurity, so that it seems uncertain whether it occurred previously or subsequently to that year.
But whenever they were erected, and whether by the persons above mentioned, exclusively, or by the gild at large, it is pretty evident that they became in no long time the property of that gild; and there is reason to believe that they continued so till the dissolution of the Monasteries, when all the gilds shared the same fate. At that time the property of this gild, as well as that of others still more opulent, fell probably into the hands of the corporation. For some reason, themen’salmshouse was dissolved, but that of thewomen, orBedehouse, as it was then, and is still called, was continued, under the patronage of that body. It does not clearly appear how many persons were originally maintained in thesetwohouses. But we learn that themen’shouse had in itsevenchambers, and thewomen’s six. Supposing therefore that butoneperson occupied each chamber, the number between both houses would bethirteen; but if we suppose thattwowere placed in each chamber, (as might be the case in those times; and more than two cannot be supposed;) then the whole number wouldbetwenty-six. The question, however, is now immaterial, and requires no further attention.[1129]
When the Bedehouse came into the hands of the corporation, it seems they divided each of the chambers into two, so as to maketwelve, instead ofsix, as we find is still the case. This probably accounts for one half of them being without a fireplace, which is not likely to have been the case originally: and it has certainly been very inconvenient ever since to those who have occupied those chambers. It is therefore to be hoped, that when Mr.Cook’slegacy is obtained, this inconvenience will be soon remedied. The number of occupants now, as well as for a long time past, istwelve:eleven women, and thereader; who is a sort ofchaplain, reading prayers and guiding the devotion of the sisterhood, mornings and evenings.
Till the last summer, (1811,) this house had been for some years in a very low state, and might be denominated the mansion of starvation, rather than the habitation of mercy and charity, or house of bread. The weekly allowance to each poor woman was onlythirty penceandthree farthings!—a sad proof of the very low ebb to which the generosity and humanity of the patrons of the place had been reduced! At length however they awoke to a sense of the unseemliness of this mock charity, and very commendably addedanother thirty penceto the weekly allowance of each inmate, or pensioner.This addition has materially benefitted them, and ameliorated their condition, and the present writer wishes he had it in his power to name the individual from whom it originated, who certainly has deserved well, not only of the poor pensioners themselves, but also of the community at large.
Soon after this fortunate augmentation of the allowance or income of those poor pensioners, intelligence arrived of a still further provision being made for them, by a gentleman lately deceased, of the name ofCook,[1130a]who lived in London, and left them by his will 2000l.in the 3 per cents; the interest whereof to be applied in augmentation of their weekly income. This charitable bequest, which is likely soon to be transferred into the hands of the corporation, as the trustees or guardians of these poor pensioners, will add it is to be hoped, anotherhalf crownto their weekly allowance; which will render their situation very comfortable, compared with what it has been of late years. To have each chamber destitute of a fireplace furnished with that needful appendage,[1130b]would be to most of them a still further and very desirable accommodation.
By an old MS. volume which has very lately fallen into the hands of this writer, he learns that one JohnLoneyson, orLeneyston,[1131a]by will bearing date in 1594, endowed this almshouse, and gave it an annuity of 10l.from 75, (or 76) acres of pasture, calledout marshes, orsalt marshes, lying and being in South Lyn, anciently purchased ofCharles CornwallisandGeorge NichollsEsqrs. and demised toElsdinby the corporation in the 2nd. year of James I.[1131b]How far this corroborates or contradicts theTabletin the church, which made such stir among our townsmen last year, may deserve some consideration from the member of the Hall.
Beside the above endowment in land there was a sum of money amounting 600l.left by divers persons to this almshouse, the interest whereof to be applied to the support or maintenance of the pensioners: and as money bore then a higher interest than at present, the annual product of this provision amounted to no trifling sum. This money was placed in the hands of the corporation; 400l.of it laid out at interest, and 200l.employed in buying or trafficking inrye; whence it was sometimes calledrye money. In short the 600l.and the 10l.a yearbefore mentioned seem to have constituted formerly the chief of the funds of this almshouse: only in extraordinary cases, such as sickness, the pensioners were relieved by voluntary contributions.[1132a]It should be here further noted that it appears from the said MS. that in consideration of the above funds, the corporation formerly paid yearly in money to this almshouse 44l.and moreover 8l.4s.by 9 chaldron ofcoalsand 200sedge—making in all 52l.4s.which, including the afore-mentioned extraordinary charges, is said tosurmount the interest of the whole money given; which might well be supposed to have been the case.[1132b]
2.Finkel-Row Almshouse, orValenger’s Hospital, in South Lynn. This house was founded in 1605. byThomas Valenger, gent. then Town-Clerk of Lynn, forfour poor mento dwell in gratis. We cannot learn that he endowed it with any land or money, though it is said that some land does now belong to it, an advance in the rent of which, two years ago, occasioned an addition of 3d.a week to be made to the allowance of each pensioner. Last year there was a more considerable addition, of no less thanone shillinga week, made to that allowance; making it in the whole 4s.a week, which is the amount of the present weekly allowance of each of them: and this sum is paid them weekly by the overseers of the parish. AsMr. Cook, mentioned under the preceding article, has left 700l.in the 3 per cents to this charity, each pensioner, it is supposed, may shortly expect a further addition of 2s.a week or more to their present allowance. Like the Gaywood hospital, this house was originally designed formen; but it has been now for a good many years converted to the use of the other sex, and has been ever since occupied byfourpoorwomen, who have in it now very comfortable dwellings, the house having been rebuilt in 1806.
3.Paradise Hospital, orBroad Street Almshouse. This house appears to have been founded in 1676, byoneJohn Heathcote,otherwise Helcote, of whom some mention has been already made, at page827. He dying while the work was unfinished, the completion of it was undertaken and effected the year following by the famousHenry Framingham. Of him also some mention is made in the page last referred to, as well as in page861. It is probable that the former died intestate, without having made any provision for the endowment of the almshouse, and that his heirs were not disposed to complete the plan which he had formed. However that was, Framingham appears to have then stept forward and purchased the premises, for the laudable purpose of completing the benevolent institution which the other had projected. This house is pleasantly situated, in the field called Paradise, on the east side of Broad Street, with which it communicates, and from which is its only entrance. It consists of a chapel and twelve apartments or dwellings, all opening into a quadrangular court, to which there is an entrance by a gateway from the street. Those dwellings are occupied by 12 poor men, one of whom officiates as chaplain, and is calledThe Reader; in consideration of which he has an additional pension or allowance. Attached to those 12 apartments are as many little gardens, which lie on each side of the entrance from the street. Framingham, it seems, endowed only 11 of these dwellings: the other endowed a long while after, by one of our alderman, whose wasJohn Goodwyn. The present weekly allowance of each of these 12 pensioners is 3s.6d.with the addition of 15d.to the chaplain, which makes his weekly allowance 4s.9d.The 11 lay brethren have each a chaldren ofcoals yearly, and the chaplain a chaldron and half. They have beside, the interest of 250l.which they receive half yearly. This it is presumed is a pretty correct account of the present state of these pensioners; but it must not here pass unnoticed, that Mr.Cook, the charitable benefactor of the other almshouses, and whose memory ought to be very dear to all our pensioners, has left to this house the sum of 2000l.3 per cent stock, for the augmentation of the weekly allowance of the 12 poor occupants: when this bequest therefore is obtained, which is now very soon expected, it can not fail of considerably bettering their condition. But what an indelible disgrace is the benefaction of Mr. Cook to the memories of all those overgrown wealthy Lynn men, who have departed this life without the least apparent spark of benevolence, or one charitable thought towards their indigent neighbours.
Besides itsfourAlmshouses, (including that of Gaywood,) Lynn is also distinguished for divers other charitable institutions, and particularly for a great number of those calledbenefit societies, orpurse clubs, which amount toupwards of twenty. Most of them consist ofmen, but some few are made up of the other sex;[1135]which in most places we believe is rather an unusual case, as it has been generally supposed that such societies would not succeed. Here, however, they are said to have succeeded, and to have proved very beneficial. Their plans and constitutions seem well formed, and their rules and orders have been circulated in print. These societies, as might be supposed, hold their meetings in private houses, those, probably, of some of their most opulent and active patronesses. Of the societies of this description which consist wholly ofmen, some are of a superior order, and designed particularly for the benefit of females orwidows. One of those, if we are not mistaken, is called, “The Provident Society for the benefit of widows;” and another, “The Benevolent Viduarian Society.” The latter was established Nov. 5.1807. and the former several years earlier. Both of them, if we are rightly informed, secure to each widow an annuity of twenty pounds, which to most cannot fail of being a very desirable object.
The meetings of these two societies, and of all the rest that belong to themen, are kept at different public houses in various parts of the town:[1136]and it is probablethat they are the most suitable places, upon the whole, that could be easily obtained for that purpose. It may be here further observed, that we scarce ever hear of any thing in the conduct of those who attend at these meetings, that is palpably improper, unbecoming, or exceptionable. So that the rules and orders of these fraternities appear to have taught the members in general to pay a due respect to a propriety or decency of behaviour, so as to fit them to be better members of the community. This consideration not a little enhances the use and importance of these friendly and fraternal institutions, as manifestly conducing to the cultivation of good manners, civilization, and moral improvement.
But in an account of our Benefit-Societies, and provident, benevolent, or charitable institutions, the two following charities ought not to be forgotten—1. TheLying-in Charity. This was set on foot in 1791, by the late Mrs. Elizabeth Gibbons, in conjunction with Mrs. Keed, Mrs. S. Newham, &c. forlending Child-bed Linento poor women: and it is said to have been the means of affording great relief to those who were the objects of it. It has been assisted and supported by subscriptions from several Ladies, amounting for the last year to 37l.6s.—As it is known to have proved very beneficial, it is to be hoped that it will be long continued.—2. TheStranger’s friend Society.[1138]This has been set on foot here by theMethodists, but has been supported by many others of the inhabitants, and rendered very useful to the poor.—An account of the state and proceedings of this society is published annually: about which time a sermon is also preached at the Methodist Chapel, for the benefit of the institution. Those who are appointed by the society for the office ofvisitingthe distressed poor, are directed to assist them by prayer and religious instruction, as well as by their alms.
☞ Before he entirely closes this section, the author feels it incumbent upon him to confess, that since the last sheet was printed off, he has, upon further consideration, become less confident of the annuity mentioned at p.1131being originally left to theBedehouse.
Brief account of theSchools,with some hints on the present state of Education at Lynn.
Before the Reformation, the education (such as it was) of the children and youth of this country was committed chiefly to the monks and friars; and carried on in the convents and religious houses,—of which description were even the very universities themselves, if indeed they are not so still. Lynn had then many of those convents and religious houses; and it seems probable that each of them had in it a school, of some sort or other. But they were all schools forboys; and yet but few, compared with the whole number of the Lynn boys of those times, can be supposed to have been so fortunate as to get there admitted. As to thegirls, there was then no such provision made for their education: and they seem to have been, in that point of view, as little regarded as if our ancestors thought, like the Mahometans, that women had no souls.
Among the inconveniences occasioned by the general dissolution of the monasteries, one of them must have been that of being deprived of those conventual schools. How long the town continued without any substitutes for them, we are not able to say. Something probably might be done in the reign ofEdward, though we have not been able to discover any clear proof of it: only the fact may be supposed, as it is well known that many schools were established in that reign, and endowed with some small fragments of the abbey-revenues. Indeed there is some reason to conclude that there was a school, on a very small scale, established here by the corporation,almost immediately after the dissolution, as appears from the following passage in an old memorandum book, extracted chiefly, as it would seem, from the Hall-records—“1538, Sept; 29. Thomas Person, prest, late ffryer, was chosen to be Charnell Prest: He to have for his selary viiil.iiiis.and licence to preche iiii tymes every Quarter,and frely to teche vi Child.[ren.]”—The last expression necessarily implies the establishment of aschoolfor the education ofsix children: and as the teacher was the charnel priest, it may reasonably be concluded that the school was kept at, or over the charnel house. That also being the place where our Grammar School was kept till the erection of the present building, it seems not improbable that this little school for the education of half a dozen boys may have been the origin of that seminary. How long our means of education were confined to one solitary establishment for six boys, we are not able now to say; but we could discover no appearance of the existence of any thing further tillabove forty yearsafter the dissolution of the convents, when a respectable seminary, on an extensive scale, began to give additional dignity to the character of the town.—We will now proceed to give a cursory view of our principal schools, and present state of education.
1.The Grammar School. This has long borne a respectable character among the grammar-schools of this country. It is supposed to have been established about the middle of the reign of Elizabeth, as we have been able to trace it no further back than the year 1580, when we find it an established school, and itsmaster’snameIverye.[1140]He died in 1590,and was succeeded byAlex. Roberts M.A.who had a stipend of 20 marks a year, and the house where his predecessor lived. He becoming one of the ministers of the town, was succeeded in 1593 byNic. Eston M.A.of Pemb. Hall, Cambridge. Eston in 1597, was succeeded byJohn ManM.A. who in 1608, was succeeded byHen. Allston, on condition that heconsidered himself as holding the school only during the goodwill and pleasure of the Mayor,A. and C. C.He appears not to have been on the best terms with the corporation; and about 1613, was succeeded by aMr. Armitage. He dying in 1618, was succeeded byMr. Robt. Robinson. He died in 1626, and was succeeded byAmbr. Fish, who shortly after gave up his charge, and was succeeded, 11. May 1627, byRobt. Woodmansea M.A.of Loughborough. He removing in the spring of 1634 (or rather 1635,) had for his successorJohn Rawlinson M.A.of St. John’s Col. Cambridge,who removed, as it seems, in 1637, and was then succeeded byEdw. Bell M.A.who, if we are not mistaken, held the place 40 years; and dying in 1678 was succeeded by the memorableJohn Horne M.A.who held the mastership of this seminary still longer; even no less than 51 or 52 years, with much credit to himself and no small advantage to his numerous pupils. He was succeeded May 21. 1730. byCharles Squire; who was succeeded by —Pigge; and he byJohn Danville, and he byJohn Knox, who resigned in 1760,[1142a]when he was succeeded byDr. David Lloyd, who continued at the head of this seminary 34 years, and supported during all that time a character no way inferior, perhaps, to the most eminent of his predecessors. He was succeeded in 1794 by his eldest sonHenry Lloyd D.D.the present Hebrew Professor at Cambridge. Upon his resignation in 1797, he was succeeded byRichard Scott, who in 1803 was succeeded by the present master, the rev.Martin Coulcher.[1142b]
The course of education in this seminary, is similar to what is usual in most of our endowed grammar-schools, or free-schools. Its original object seems to have been to teach the rudiments of the learned languages, which still forms a principal part of the plan; but like the generality of our modern numerous and respectable boarding schools, it has now for many years embraced divers other objects, and even all those branches of education, the knowledge of which is now deemed necessary to fit our youth to become men of business, and useful and accomplished members of society. The endowment to this seminary is about 60l.a year, and a handsome dwelling-house for the master; for which he is to teach a certain number of freemen’s children gratis: but it is only in grammar or classical learning; for which reason they are but few in number; and he depends chiefly for his support upon those pupils he derives from other quarters. In some cases those who go from this seminary to the university, are entitled to certain exhibitions or pecuniary aids, which some well disposed persons deceased have bequeathed for the benefit of such young scholars.
Our otherboy-schools are now pretty numerous, and are entitled to different degrees of estimation, from those of Messrs. Coulton, Smith, and Bonnet, down to those of our veriest or humblest abecedarian pedagogues, who yet are doubtless very useful in their sphere.—Ofgirl-schools there are here likewise a great many, and they also are of different sorts, and descend, like theformer, in various gradations, from the respected boarding schools of Miss Nichols and Miss Henderson, to the liliputian seminaries of those homely dames whose pupils are made up of young misses and masters of two, three, and four years old. The two schools here first mentioned, (those of Miss N. and Miss H.) are very respectable; and the former has been so for a great many years, and still maintains its character with undiminished reputation. But as these good ladies can be in no want of any encomium or praises which are in the power of this writer to bestow, he will here drop the subject.
We must not however close our account of the Lynn schools, without noticing those which are formed on the Lancasterian plan; of which there are two here established—one forboysand the other forgirls. Of the latter the following sketch, it is presumed, will be found pretty correct.
“The Charity School for Girlswas founded by voluntary subscription, at a meeting of ladies held at the Town-hall, April 13. 1792, and opened May 28 following. It provided instruction, in reading, sewing, and spinning, with some portion of clothing, for 30 children. A room in Purfleet street was for some years hired for the purpose; but in 1805 a much more suitable apartment, adjoining to the north tower of St. Margaret’s Church, was fitted up by the subscribers: and the school has been since extended to 50 girls, under the direction ofMiss Harriet Howell, who has successfully adapted the new or Lancasterian method of education to the instruction of girls—This school is now supportedin a great measure by taking in plain work; as the whole amount of the subscription, for the current year is only 49l.7s.”
“The Charity School for Girlswas founded by voluntary subscription, at a meeting of ladies held at the Town-hall, April 13. 1792, and opened May 28 following. It provided instruction, in reading, sewing, and spinning, with some portion of clothing, for 30 children. A room in Purfleet street was for some years hired for the purpose; but in 1805 a much more suitable apartment, adjoining to the north tower of St. Margaret’s Church, was fitted up by the subscribers: and the school has been since extended to 50 girls, under the direction ofMiss Harriet Howell, who has successfully adapted the new or Lancasterian method of education to the instruction of girls—This school is now supportedin a great measure by taking in plain work; as the whole amount of the subscription, for the current year is only 49l.7s.”
The other charitable seminary, that forboys, and which in fact is our proper Lancasterian school, is of much later origin than the preceding. Of its rise and progress the following brief account, we doubt not, will be found pretty accurate—
“It is remarkable that in so large a town as this, there was no public charity school for boys prior to the year 1808. Complaints were loud and universal of the number of idle and disorderly boys, who were rioting in our streets, and sometimes committing great depredations upon the property of individuals. But the very magnitude of the evil seemed to discourage all endeavours to remove it. The expense of educating so large a number upon the old plan of instruction, which required one master to every 30 or 40 boys, precluded all hope of raising an adequate contribution from the public; and no effect could not be expected from a private person commensurate to the existing evil, of so large a portion of the population being destitute of all moral or religious instruction. But the rise of the new system of education, by which one master can teach almost any number of boys that one room can hold, soon attracted the attention of those who felt for the rising generation: and as this improved system was then practised only by Mr. Joseph Lancaster, in London, an application was made to him for a master. Upon which he kindly offered to come down, and gave a public lecture at the assembly room upon the subject,February 8. 1808. Several resolutions for the establishment of a school in this place, by his assistance, were immediately agreed upon; a committee of 15 subscribers for the management of the institution, were afterwards nominated; the Corporation granted the use of a building well adapted for the purpose, and on Wednesday, May 11. in the same year, the school was opened for 230 boys.[1146a]—The success and the utility of this institution have fully answered every reasonable expectation which could be formed respecting it.—The annual subscriptions for the present year amount to 111l.6s.”
“It is remarkable that in so large a town as this, there was no public charity school for boys prior to the year 1808. Complaints were loud and universal of the number of idle and disorderly boys, who were rioting in our streets, and sometimes committing great depredations upon the property of individuals. But the very magnitude of the evil seemed to discourage all endeavours to remove it. The expense of educating so large a number upon the old plan of instruction, which required one master to every 30 or 40 boys, precluded all hope of raising an adequate contribution from the public; and no effect could not be expected from a private person commensurate to the existing evil, of so large a portion of the population being destitute of all moral or religious instruction. But the rise of the new system of education, by which one master can teach almost any number of boys that one room can hold, soon attracted the attention of those who felt for the rising generation: and as this improved system was then practised only by Mr. Joseph Lancaster, in London, an application was made to him for a master. Upon which he kindly offered to come down, and gave a public lecture at the assembly room upon the subject,February 8. 1808. Several resolutions for the establishment of a school in this place, by his assistance, were immediately agreed upon; a committee of 15 subscribers for the management of the institution, were afterwards nominated; the Corporation granted the use of a building well adapted for the purpose, and on Wednesday, May 11. in the same year, the school was opened for 230 boys.[1146a]—The success and the utility of this institution have fully answered every reasonable expectation which could be formed respecting it.—The annual subscriptions for the present year amount to 111l.6s.”
Besides these schools, which are under the direction of the clergymen of the establishment, there are here two sunday schools under the direction of the dissenters. The chief of these, and of the longest standing, is under the care of the revd.I. Allen, and kept at his meeting house, in Broad Street; but it is supported by the subscriptions of persons of different denominations, churchmen as well as dissenters.[1146b]It has existed some years, and is deemed a very useful institution. The other is of more recent origin, and at present on a much smaller scale, and is kept at the Baptist meeting house. It is only for boys; whereas Mr. Allen’s is for both boys and girls, but chiefly the latter. In his last annual account, if we are not mistaken, Mr. A. has represented both these schools as only one school, making the whole number of scholars 249—143 girls, and 109 boys. Ofthe latter about 60, as we are told, belong to theBaptistSunday School. These institutions, it is to be hoped, will long prove very useful to the town.—But we must not omit here to mention that the Lynn Sunday Schools originated with theMethodistsabout 25 years ago. The school which they then established was carried on with much spirit, and to very good purpose for several years; but was at last given up in favour of an extensive day-school, which was then planned, and which it was supposed would render the other unnecessary. But either that day-school was not established, or it did not succeed; so that the Methodists were too hasty in discontinuing their school, which if we rightly recollect, consisted of about 200 children.[1147]
From the foregoing account the reader may form some idea of the present state of education in this town. The Lancasterian schools have answered the most sanguine expectations of their patrons and promoters, and especially the boy-school, which has hitherto given abundant satisfaction, and has greatly conduced to the credit both of the managers and the teacher. The dispute which has agitated other parts of the kingdom as to the respective merits of Bell and Lancaster, will, it is to be hoped, not materially affect this town. For though the Church Catechism is taught here, which the present writer thinks in part very absurd; yet if the young pupils think at all as they grow up, and advert to the newtestament, that absurdity will not long have any very strong hold upon their minds, or remain a great while unperceived. As they will be enabled to read the scriptures, if they will take the trouble of searching them, and judge for themselves, they may be soon very capable to determine how far the Church Catechism and the Common prayer book are to be deemed necessary appendages to the inspired writings.
As to our schools of the better sort, or of the higher order, we judge that they are as well conducted as those of the like description in most other places. Some indeed have found fault, especially with those for female education, for what may be called too much uniformity, or not varying more the course of instruction, and adapting it to the ranks, circumstances, or prospects of the respective pupils. Hence the tradesman’s and petty farmer’s daughters are taught music, drawing, and other genteel accomplishments, in common with those of the squire, the merchant, and opulent farmer, who are expected and designed to move in a much higher sphere. In giving the former the education of fine ladies they are supposed to be unfitted for that station in life in which they are likely to be placed, by having their minds filled with such high notions as can but very ill accord with their probable future destiny. This therefore has been deemed contrary to the dictates of reason, and every just rule of prudence and propriety. But however absurd this may be, the blame seems not imputable to the governesses of these seminaries, but rather to the parents or guardians of those pupils. Nor would it be very safeperhaps for our governesses to remonstrate with these, or even so much as hint on the absurdity or impropriety of such an indiscriminate and preposterous course of instruction, as it would be taken as a reflection on their superior wisdom, or their competency to dictate the proper line of pupilage for their young relatives. But it is not intended here to insinuate that the circumstance in question is peculiar to our Lynn Boarding-schools: on the contrary, the same is supposed to be very much the case in many, if not in most other places. If however it be so improper as many have supposed, it would no doubt, be very desirable to have it discontinued. But the world is not very likely soon to agree to discontinue all improper practices.
☞ Here before he begins another section, or proceeds any further, the author begs leave to apprize the reader of an error he has committed at page1134, in suggesting that Framingham endowed 11 out of the 12 dwellings in the Broad street Almshouse. He has understood since that he endowed butten, and that theeleventhwas endowed by Ald. Goodwyn, and the twelfth by the elderHogg, great grand father of our present alderman of that name, and founder of that respectable mercantile family. This correction is made, as due to the memory of the saidMr. Hogg, which stands much higher, as a benefactor to the poor, than that of any of our wealthy men who survived him.—It is also due to the sacredness of historical truth, which demands as much fidelity as a statement of facts upon oath in a court of judicature.
Sketch of the Corporation,with cursory remarks on its power,possessions,privileges,&c.
The Corporation of Lynn was established in the reign of king John, which is not mentioned here as a circumstanceredounding to its honour, or yet to its dishonour. Our corporations might be very proper and useful in those feudal and barbarous times, as a check to the despotism and tyranny of the barons and feudal lords; but in the present state of the nation their propriety and utility are very far from being obvious; seeing such places as Birmingham, Manchester, and Sheffield, appear to have done full as well, and thrived quite as much, without any chartered immunities, or such a privileged order of men, as our most famous or favoured corporations. It is not however to be expected that these dignified bodies will readily descend from their elevated situations, and place themselves by the side of their unprivileged neighbours.
The Lynn Corporation is generally considered as consisting of a Mayor, Recorder, Lord High Steward, twelve Aldermen, eighteen Common-councilmen, town Clerk, Chamberlain, two Coroners, and several inferior officers.[1150]The power, privileges, and possessions of this body are very considerable, so that their dignity and consequence seem not a little superior to those of some others of our corporate bodies in differentparts of the kingdom. Their various immunities are distinctly specified in their numerous charters, which they obtained of different sovereigns, from John toCharles the second. But as it seems to be intended shortly to publish those Charters, it may be needless to say any more here about their contents. There has been a pretty general wish for some time to have these documents published in English, that the freemen might know the full meaning and extent of the oaths tendered to them in taking up their freedom, of which not one in twenty of them are supposed to have at present any adequate idea: and as there is known to exist now in the town a fair translation of them, it is hoped and expected that it will ere long be made public. In that case the dignity, power, and prerogatives of this privileged body will be sufficiently explained, and our futurefreemen will be enabled to discover the nature and extent of the obligation imposed upon them by their burgess oaths.
The possessions of the Lynn Corporation in landed property &c. are said to be very considerable; and together with their various tolls, tallages, and privileges, produce a large annual income, which we are told might be considerably increased, were their lands all let to the best bidders, or according to their full value, instead of letting them in the usual unfair and partial manner, for the accommodation of their own particular friends and favourites. With such an ample revenue as their means might be made to produce, and of which they are understood to be but the trustees of the commonalty, our corporation might be real and great benefactors to this town, and secure to themselves the esteem and applause of all their reasonable and respectable fellow-citizens; but being apt sometimes to carry themselves rather too haughty and arrogantly towards their unprivileged neighbours, they are not always in possession of the respect that would otherwise be very readily paid to them. It is not however likely that they are much more despotically disposed than the generality of the rulers of other corporations.
Themayorof Lynn is chosen annually on the 29th. of August, from among the aldermen, by the members of the common-council: and he must be one who has not served the office previously for at least five years. Incase he declines the appointment, or refuses to serve, without reasonable cause to be allowed, the major and aldermen may fine him in any sum not exceeding 60l.[1154a]Also in case of such refusal, or of a mayor’s death, the common-council-men may within eight days choose any other alderman, who has not served for five years, in his room. The new mayor being elected on the 29th of August, he is not sworn in till the 29th. of the ensuing month, or Michaelmas-day, when his official year commences. If he should happen to be sick, so as not to be able to attend at the Guild-hall to be sworn, on the day last mentioned, it shall be lawful to administer the oath, or oaths to him at his own house, or wherever he shall be within the borough.[1154b]
Formerly it was customary to have here at the hall, both on St. John’s, and St Michael’s days, elegant entertainments or sumptuous public dinners, given at the mayor’s expense, and often much expatiated upon by former writers; but the custom has of late been discontinued, and we are not sure that it will be ever again resumed: nor are we sure that its resumption would be at all desirable; on the contrary, it seems more probable that its utter abolition would be of far greater use to the community in general, at such a time as this, as it might serve to remind us all of the absolute necessity of retrenchingand observing the utmost economy in the management of all our temporal affairs, as the only way to escape starvation and all its concomitant miseries. For all which we have to thank the vile maxims that have directed and distinguished our public affairs for these 50 years, and especially those that characterize the administration of the last Pitt and his successors.
Of the present revenue of this Corporation, which is understood to be very considerable, we have not been able to ascertain the exact amount. It is one of those secrets, it seems, which the members make a point of keeping to themselves, and whose disclosure would render them liable to expulsion. It being therefore a corporation and sworn secret, we will not presume to pry any further into it. But it is very certain that several of their present sources of revenue did not at all belong to them formerly. Among which are to be reckoned the possessions of the Gilds of theTrinity, andSt. George, and perhaps of some of the others; which were granted to the Corporation at the dissolution. Also the profits of theToll-booth, which were originally divided between thebishop of Norwich, and theEarl of Arundelas lord ofRising, comprehending what is calledTronage,Measurage, andLovecop,[1155]with thebaily-ship of the Water of Wiggenhall, &c. Of these, after passing through several hands, afourthpart was vested in the prince of Wales, as Duke of Cornwall, and the otherthreeparts afterwards reverted to the crown, and wereby Henry VIII. granted to the corporation, who have been in possession of them ever since. The fourth part is supposed to belong still to the duchy of Cornwall, and rented from the managers of its concerns by the mayor and burgesses.—Anadmiraltyjurisdiction within the liberties of this borough, has also been granted to this body corporate, by king James’ Charter, which will probably avail them very materially in their present dispute with lord William Bentinck.
Before we close these remarks we may just observe, that four or five of our aldermen, and several of our common-council-men are now absentees, or live out of town—a case, it is supposed, never known here before, and which would not have been allowed in former days: for absence or removal out of town was always heretofore succeeded by expulsion, if the absentees did not think proper to resign of their own accord. It seems somewhat difficult to account for the unexampled indulgence with which our present absentees are treated, especially as the mayor is said to find it often very difficult, on that very account, to get a Hall, or muster such a number of members as is necessary for transacting their municipal business.
Other sources of municipal revenue here, are thefairsandmarkets. Of the former there are only two in the year: one of these is very considerable and celebrated, but was much more so in former times. It is commonly calledthe mart, or theLynn mart, and commences on the 14th. of February, when it is with great formalityproclaimed[1157]to last forsix days, but is generally allowed to continue about afortnight. It is but the shadow of what it was formerly, when most of thetown and country shopkeepers were then supplied with goods till the time ofSturbitch fair, where they procured a fresh supply. But the latter also is now sunk into great comparative insignificance. Both of them therefore might now be discontinued without any material loss, except to those concerned with their respective revenues. The other Lynn fair is held on the 17th. of October, and is called thecheese fair. It was formerly, it seems, a respectable fair, but is now become so inconsiderable and insignificant as not to require or merit here any further notice.
Besides theFairs, there are at Lynntwo weekly markets, one onTuesdayand the other onSaturday. They are kept in two different parts of the town: the former towards the north end, on a spot called theTuesday market-place; which is a spacious area of about three acres, surrounded by very good houses, and having, on an ascent of four steps, a beautiful free stoneMarket Cross, of modern architecture, built in 1710, adorned with statues and other embellishments, with a peristyle round below, supported by 16 pillars of the Ionic order, as also another walk above, encompassed with an iron palisade, enriched with tracery work and foliage, enclosing a neat octagon room, on the outside of which, in niches, were standing four statues, representing thecardinal virtues, and facing the four cardinal points. The upper part is finished with a cupola, in which hangs the market-bell, and the whole is 70 feet high. The foundation having given way on the west side, it is thought the building ere long must be taken down. From the cross, in a semicircular direction on each side, extends a range of covered stalls or shambles, having a small turret at each end. Thefish-market, which formerly stood behind the cross, has lately been taken down, and since that time the fish-market is in Common-stath-yard, where a convenient building had been previously constructed for that purpose.
Market Cross, pub.D Feb.y 1ST 1810, by W. Whittingham, Lynn
TheSaturday Marketis kept in a convenient area opened of late years near St. Margaret’s church, where capacious shambles have been erected, over which the Grammar School is kept. Before 1782 it was kept in that part of High Street which is next this church; but which being found inconvenient, the present spot was prepared for that purpose, and it is on the whole a good commodious market-place. It was however, with great reluctance that the market people quitted their former station, and consented to remove to the new one, though it must have been evident to all that the latter was far preferable. But that was only the natural effect of that strange attachment which most people feel for old habits and customs. Both the Lynn markets are plentifully supplied with good and excellent provisions, and at as reasonable a rate as can well be expected in these strange times, when ourguineais of no more value thantheshillingof our ancestors. But we will here close this section.[1160]
Present stele of Lynn,as to its shipping,trade and commerce,exports and imports,population,&c.
In former times, and even at some pretty remote periods, Lynn stood high among our English sea-ports, in regard to its shipping. Hence, as long ago as the year 1374, when Edward the III was fitting out an expedition against France, and required his principal sea-ports to furnish ships to enable him more effectually to accomplish his purpose, he is said to have had from Lynn 19 ships, when London sent only 24, Bristol 25, Plymouth, 26, Sandwich 22, Dover 21, Weymouth 20; and Newcastle only 17, Hull 16, Harwich 14, and Ipswich 12. So that Lynn appears to have been then amongthe first of our sea-ports, as to the number of its ships, or the extent of its trade and commerce. In after ages it is supposed to have maintained its rank among its sister ports; but we are not able to ascertain the exact degree of its weight and consequence among them during all the subsequent periods.
Of late years our trade and commerce have fluctuated with the times, and our shipping and tonnage have increased or decreased according to the natural operation of a state of peace or of war. In 1776, being the earliest period at which any record appears to have been preserved of them, the number of trading vessels belonging to this port[1161]was 85, and the amount of tonnage 12,700; in 1777 and 1778, ( and probably in 1779,) they continued in much the same state, as appears from a MS. account which belonged to a late shipmaster: but in 1780, or 1781, there was an increase, though we cannot learn how much. But in 1791 the ships were 125, and tonnage 17,000; in 1801, ships 108, tonnage 13,000; in 1806, ships 134, tonnage 15,600; in 1811, ships 106, tonnage 12,000.—From this it would seem, that our trade is not now in a progressive or thriving state; and though our shipping are still considerable in number, yet in point oftonnagethey are less than at any former period here referred to, or probably than at any one period since the commencement of the present reign. What effect a peace would have, it is impossible precisely to say, but the probability is, that our trade would then revive, and things revert again into their old channels.
The trade of this town formerly to different parts of the continent was very considerable, and particularly to the Baltic; but it is now almost totally deprived of all its foreign trade; and except some little intercourse with Spain and Portugal, its trade is at present almost wholly confined to the importation ofCoals, and the exportation ofCorncoastwise to different British ports. The quantity of coals imported these years is said to have been very great, and that of last year has perhaps exceeded any other year: and as that article bears a very heavy duty it has greatly helped to keep up the revenue of the custom-house. Foreigners, under the licence system, bringing the produce of the Baltic, may also be supposed to have contributed considerably to produce the same effect. The tables below will serve to cast some further light upon the subject, and help the reader to judge of the trade of this place for the last fifty years.[1162a]
As to theCoal-trade, which now constitutes the chief article or main branch of our remaining commerce, and which of late has employed so large a portion of our shipping, and is thought likely to decline considerably this year (1812,) owing to the price of that commodity having been lately lowered, so as to diminish the profits so much, that it will be no longer worth the while of the private ship-owners, who are pretty numerous, to employ their vessels in the trade: and it is supposed that they will therefore be obliged to lay them up. This seems a great hardship upon them, for which our principal merchants are much blamed, whether justly or not, the present writer will not take upon him to say. Powerful merchants, most certainly, as well as powerful men of other professions, have before now acted very unfairly and oppressively towards their weaker neighbours.
The trade toGreenlandand toDavis’s Straits, or what is called theWhale Fishery, is another branch in which Lynn has been concerned for many years: and as it is still persevered in, it may be presumed to have proved no ungainful concern. The ships fitted out for thistrade generally sail in March and return about July. Three or four ships have been usually employed in this trade, and sometimes more, but we understand that there are only two fitted out this year. Some ships also of late years have traded between this town and Canada, chiefly, we believe, for timber: and as we are now quite shut out from the Baltic, this trade will probably increase. On the whole, we presume it may be very truly said, that the trade of Lynn is at this time at a lower ebb than it was ever known to be at any time within the last hundred years or more. When we shall have driven the French out of Spain and Portugal, and obliged Napoleon to restore all his conquests, and allow us a free trade to every part of the continent, it may be hoped it will once more revive and flourish as much as ever.
Thepopulationof Lynn isbetween ten and eleven thousand. The census taken in 1801 fixed it at 10,097, and that taken in 1811 at 10,253. But there is no reliance to be placed on the accuracy of either. The real population probably exceeded both these numbers, and it is uncertain at which of the two periods was the most numerous. Some have thought that it must have been in 1801, and the present writer was once of that opinion. What led him to that conclusion was, the great and unusual number of untenanted houses found in different parts of the town in 1810, amounting in all toabove one hundred. But observing, upon further deliberation, that a still greater number of new houses, of a smaller rent, had lately sprung up in certain alleys and outskirts of the town, and all tenanted, he was induced to relinquish his former opinion, and conclude that ourpopulation had not actually decreased. Nor can he now help thinking the real population of the town at each of those periods to have much exceeded the numbers made out by the respective persons employed on the occasion; and moreover, that our present population is not below 10,500 souls.
Of this population, it is a melancholy consideration that the greatest part are still very ignorant and unenlightened, and never frequent any place of worship, and are in fact in a state of mere heathenism, though they are all absurdly considered as members of the established church. It is indeed by such members that this same church is enabled so greatly to outnumber our great body of dissenters, or the nonconforming party throughout the nation. Were only the sober and devout on each side to be numbered, it is highly probable that the established church, with all its vast wealth, and alliance with the state, would be found to be the minor party. As to the regular communicants, it is the opinion of some, that even the very methodists alone could at present muster a number not inferior to those of our establishment. Be that as it may, it must be exceedingly absurd and stupid to consider the ignorant, the irreligious, and heathenish part of the community as belonging to any church at all.
The religious functionaries or ministers of this town, both churchmen and dissenters, are allowed to be in general very assiduous in the discharge of their clerical and ministerial duties; and were they at the same time less subject to prejudice, bigotry, and intolerance, and more disposed to believe what their Lord and Master has declared,thatthey who are not against us are for us, they would certainly deserve great commendation. But they and their flocks are,for the most part, so deficient in the articles of christian charity, forbearance, and liberality, that they may be said to dishonour the very cause they have espoused, and the service in which they are embarked. The more orthodox and evangelical they pretend to be, the more uncharitable and intolerant they are generally found. Their evil spirit of intolerance and infallibility seems to carry them so far as hardly to allow those who stand without the pale of their respective communions to be worthy of even the name of christians. Sometimes they have been heard to pronounce such as they fancied to be heterodox, as presuming toteach men to be christians without believing any one principle of that institution; as if God had endowed them with the infallible knowledge of christian truth, and constituted them judges of the very state and destinies of their fellow professors. It was a saying in the primitive times, “See how these christians love one another;” but here it might rather be said, “See how these christian parties and sects envy, vilify, and hate one another.” In short, they may be said to possess so large a portion of that unworthy spirit of jealousy and rivalry as would disgrace even the meanest tradesmen, or the very lowest orders of shopkeepers and mechanics: and what is still worse, they seem quite incapable of blushing for their absurd and unchristian conduct. There are however some honourable exceptions to this representation, though they seem to be very few. But we will now close this section, and here conclude the regular series of this history.
(containing divers recollections,corrections,and miscellaneous matters:)—defects in the plans and modes of public worship,or the usual proceedings in our religious assemblies—our gentry and tradesmen capriciously and absurdly distinguished—shrimp trade—water-works—brief account of certain public buildings previously omitted—additional hints relating to our grammar-school,our libraries,and present population.
To what was said of our religious sects and parties in the preceding section, under the heads of rivalry, envy, uncharitableness, &c. it might justly have been added, that they are also very deficient in their modes of conducting public worship, or their way and manner of proceeding in their religious assemblies; and particularly inneglectingas they do thereadingandexpoundingof the scriptures. Things would be likely to come to a much better pass, if, at least,halfthe time that is now spent inpreachingandsingingwere appropriated to the important duties ofreadingandexpoundingthe sacred writings. The minds and attention of the people, in that case, would be directed to the meaning and understanding of holy writ, and a spirit of enquiry after scripture knowledge could not well fail of being effectually promoted in our respective congregations. Instead of that, as the case now stands, or as the public ministry is at present conducted, the people seem in general as unacquainted with the scripture at the end of the year, as they were at the beginning of it, and quite unconcerned or indifferent about the matter. They appear to attend for some other purpose—that of mere amusement, orsomething very short of what they ought to have in view in attending the christian ministry. Most preachers seem, as if afraid to lay the scriptures at large before the people, lest they should attract too much of their attention, so as to induce them by degrees to read, think, and judge for themselves, or become actual searchers of the scripture, and indisposed to take every thing upontrustfrom their ghostly guides: for notwithstanding our usual outcry against thepapists, our priests and theirs are more nearly allied than is generally supposed. These hints, it is presumed, are not altogether unworthy of the serious consideration of the different religionists of this town.[1168]
Except these of the learned professions, andvery fewbesides, all the principal families of this town are in facttradesmen; yet even these are here very capriciously and superciliously distinguished intogentlemenandtradesmen; though the former retale their goods, or sell their commodities in small quantities, as well as the latter: and surely a man who buys corn by the bushel, the coomb, or the quarter, and sells coals by the chalder and half chalder, and his deals in any small quantity thebuyer may wish, and his bottled wine by single dozens, is to all intents and purposes as much a tradesman as a grocer, a linen-draper, an ironmonger, or a druggist. What then is the ground of this distinction? Is it education? No: our tradesmen in general have been brought up at the grammar-school, and the others can seldom or ever pretend to any higher advantage. Nor do they possess minds more cultivated by reading and knowledge of the world; for there is every reason to believe that the tradesmen are at least their equals in those respects, and some of them perhaps very much their superiors. But is not fortune orwealththe ground of this distinction? No: many of those denominated tradesmen are known to be much more wealthy, as well as much more intelligent and respectable, than some of those who have arrogated to themselves the dignified name of gentlemen. On what then can this curious distinction be founded? It may very truly be answered, On pride, arrogance, ignorance, impertinence, and vulgar servility.[1169]
In treating of our trade and commerce, in the preceding section, that remarkable branch or article, theshrimp-trade, was quite forgotten; and some perhaps may think that it might as well still remain so: others however will be of a different opinion; at least when they learn that beside what has been consumed in the townand parts adjacent, and up the country, there have been actually sent from hence to London alone, by the stage coaches, in one season, or within a year, no less then betweensixty and seventy tons of shrimps.[1170]It is a vast quantity to be sent by land, and coach carriage, to the distance of a hundred miles. We have not learnt how long this trade has been kept up on this large scale. It is said to have somewhat declined since the Bostonians have taken it up and become our rivals. But this rivalship can do no harm, as London, no doubt, will readily receive as many shrimps as both these towns can possibly furnish.
N. E. View of the Kettle Mills or Waterworks
TheWater-worksof this town are also among the articles overlooked in the preceding part of this history. It is agreed on all hands that Lynn is supplied with excellent water from the Gaywood river, a stream that takes its rise about Grimston, six or seven miles off. At the Kettle-mills, in the north-east outskirt of Lynn, this water is raised into a reservoir, which is between 30 and 40 feet higher than the surface of the water in the river. Formerly there were two engines used for this purpose. One of them was worked by a fall of water in the river, and the other by horses. This latter was used when the water-engine was under repairs, or in dry seasons when the water-engine had not sufficient power to supply thetown. In very dry seasons the hire of horses was very expensive. About the year 1779 or 1780 the water-engine became unfit for further use. A new one being then erected on better principles, had near three times the power of the old one. Thus the town was plentifully supplied with water for some years, and at a small expense, as the horse-engine was seldom used. But unfortunately the corporation came afterwards to a resolution to have the town supplied with water by the force ofsteam. A fire-engine was erected, which afforded an ample supply of water to the town; in consequence of which the horse and water engines were taken down. But the corporation, neglecting to avail themselves of the improvements of Bolton and Watts, erected their engine on the old principle of Newcomen; and it was soon discovered, to the astonishment of the unlearned in hydraulics, that the expense of coals and repairs amounted to a sum so far beyond the calculation of the corporation, that it was absolutely necessary to purchase no more steam at that rate.—The town is now supplied by an engine turned by water; but as it is constructed on old principles, the town, in dry seasons, must be ill-supplied and much distressed: and as the steam engine is become unfit for further use, the town must always be without a drop of water while the water engine is under repairs, which sometimes takes up more than a fortnight. This is an inconvenience which the town is said never to have experienced until the late alterations were made. On the whole therefore, this business appears to have been injudiciously managed; so that it would be very desirable to see it put upon a better footing, which itcertainly ought to be, as there has lately been an advance made in the water-rate—for which no plausible reason is known to have been yet assigned, any more than for the unexpected advance in the price ofbeer.
In our preceding account ofthe public buildings, it now appears that divers of them have passed unnoticed, and particularly theTheatre, theCustom-Haute, and theTown-Hall; each of which we shall now briefly describe. TheTheatrewas originally the Hall of an opulent company, which constituted one of our numerousGuilds, that ofSt. George. After the dissolution of the Guilds it was converted it seems into a kind ofExchange, and after that into acourt-house, for holding the county quarter sessions of the peace. Since those sessions were allowed to be held in the town-hall it has been converted into a Theatre, or Play-house, which is said to be very convenient and neat, neither profusely ornamented nor disgustingly plain; and although not free from faults, yet they are, it seems, what resulted from the architect having to fill up the shell of an old building which had been erected for another purpose. The usual time of performing here is in the Spring, when the inhabitants are entertained by the Norwich Company.