Abimal Youngs House
Two miles south of Craigville is situated Oxford Depot, on the Erie Railroad, with a general country store, kept formerly by Peter B. Taylor, but for many years the store and post-office have been in charge of S. C. Van Vliet, who has also served the town as supervisor, justice, etc. Here is also a creamery run by the Alexander Campbell Co. The old settlement of Satterly's Mills and the adjacent Campbell Tillotson property are now the beautiful country residence of William Crawford, a well-known New York merchant, who is doing much to improve that part of the town. Near Oxford Depot is the beautiful home of Judge Charles R. Bull, supervisor from 1899 to 1903, and associate judge of County Court, and a lineal descendant of Sarah Wells. The old-time homes of the Seelys and Marvins and the Fletcher Woodhull families, for a long time famous for their well-tilled farms, and in the old times well finished fat cattle, have passed from their hands, with the single exception of that of Courtland Marvin, still in the hands of his grand-daughter, Fannie Marvin, regent of Blooming Grove Chapter, D. A. R., and granddaughter of Fannie Woodhull Marvin, mentioned by Eager in his sketch of Claudius Smith as being used by her mother, wife of Captain Woodhull, in saving the family silver. The stone house built under the supervision of William S. Woodhull is still the property of the widow of his son, Jesse Woodhull, who was a daughter of Marcus Sears and Mary Caldwell. And the Youngs homesteads are still held by their descendants, Joseph W. Young, Mrs. Durland and the family of William B. Hunter. The Bulls in the southern part of the town near Monroe, still dwell upon the old homestead. John Brewster, the town clerk of Cornwall, 1765-1799, lived near Blooming Grove, and a part of his old homestead remains in the hands of his descendants, Thomas C. and Walter H. Brewster, who have both been supervisors of the town, and whose beautiful homes are beside the Tappan on Satterly's Creek, and near the ancestral home of Selah E. Strong, supervisor of Blooming Grove, 1875-1882, and sheriff of Orange County, 1888-1889-1890, and is now the home of his widow and their son, Sherwood Strong. This fine, old home was built by his grandfather, Selah Strong, the first supervisor of the new town of Blooming Grove, having been justice of the peace for the town of Cornwall for ten years. His father, Major Nathaniel Strong, came to this farm with the Howells and Woodhulls from Long Island, and married Hannah, daughter of Major Nathaniel Woodhull. He was a prominent citizen, a major in the Continental Army, and was murdered in his home on his farm, by the notorious Claudius Smith, October 6, 1778. This homestead adjoins that of the Strong family, now occupied by Charles F. Bull, from which came: Major Samuel Strong and Captain Nathan Strong, who was at Valley Forge with the Continental Army. The descendants of Samuel Strong now live in Blooming Grove on the Benjamin Strong farm, near the Blooming Grove church, and Charles Strong in Blagg's Clove. This homestead adjoins that of Colonel Jesse Woodhull, who settled here on 500 acres of land in 1753, aged eighteen years, a part of which still remains in the family of N. D. Woodhull. The Woodhull family were descendants from Richard Woodhull, born in North Hampton, England, 1620. Zealous for English liberty during the Protectorate, he sought freedom here. His grandson, Nathaniel, married into the Smith family, who were large proprietors of St. George's Manor, L. I. His daughter, Hannah, married Major Nathaniel Strong. His son, General Nathaniel Woodhull, remained upon the old homestead at Mastic, Long Island, and took an active part in opposing British oppression, and was killed by a British officer, September 2, 1776, tradition says because he would not say, "God save the King." Jesse settled in Blagg's Clove, and his son Richard married Hannah, daughter of Judge William Smith, of Long Island, and was the father of William Smith and Nathaniel Du Bois. William Smith was the father of William Henry Howell and Jesse Woodhull, and Nathaniel was the father of Richard and Francis Mandeville and grandfather of Nathaniel D. Woodhull, well known in Orange County as a leader of the New York milk business. Adjoining the Woodhull tract is the old Howell homestead to which Hezekiah Howell came from Long Island about 1730, and tradition says that as they came over Schunnemunk Mountain they were obliged to stand by their horses to prevent the wild turkeys from eating up their oats. He with Sylvanus White and others took up the patent of 2,000 acres called Blagg's Clove, and he married a daughter of Job Sayre in 1735. His son, Hezekiah 2d, was born here, 1741, and married Juliana, daughter of Nathaniel Woodhull, of Mastic, L. I. His son, Charles Howell, was born in 1752, married a daughter of Major Nathaniel Strong, and after her death, Elizabeth, daughter of Charles Board, and, settled near the Blooming Grove church, upon a farm of 150 acres, which still remains in the hands of the family of his son, Edmund S. Howell. He served in the Independent Corps under General George Clinton in building Fort Putnam, and was on guard after the burning of Kingston. Hezekiah Howell was the first supervisor of the old town of Cornwall, and was sheriff of Orange County during the Revolution. His son, Hezekiah 3d, married Frances, daughter of Major Tuthill, of Orange County. His grandson, Nathaniel W., graduated from Williams in the year 1853, was supervisor of Blooming Grove, 1871 and 1872, and a member of Assembly, 1863-1864. He has lived upon the old Howell homestead, and also inherited his father's farm, and has just conveyed the whole Howell tract of 700 acres to C. T. Purdy, who is as closely connected with Sheriff Howell as Nathaniel W. Sylvanus White, Jr., was born on Long Island, Southampton, and was son of Sylvanus and Phoebe Howell. They came with the Howells and Woodhulls and Strongs and Moffatts, to Blagg's Clove, and settled upon 300 acres of land. His daughter married Anselm Helme, and the family still retain the old Helme homestead, near Coleman's Mills. His son, Nathan H. White, was born in 1770, entered Columbia College at the age of eighteen, and graduated in 1781 in the same class as John Randolph of Roanoke. He taught a classical school in Montgomery for six years, and was principal of the Newburgh Academy two years. Returning to the old home in 1802, he married Frances, daughter of Hezekiah and Juliana Woodhull Howell and added 200 acres to the old homestead. He was elected first judge of Orange County, and was the friend and associate of Judges Kent, Van Ness, Platt and others; in 1806 was commissioned by Governor Morgan Lewis, captain of an Orange County Company of Militia. His son, Albert S. White, went to Indiana about 1825, was a member of Congress from Indiana two terms, and U. S. Senator contemporary with Clay, Calhoun and Webster. One daughter married Harvey Denniston, and after his death, John Nicoll, of Washingtonville, and the old White homestead is still held by her son, Charles Nicoll; and from this union of the Woodhulls with the Strongs and the Howells and from the Woodhull family came the numerous descendants who, together with the Seelys, Tuthills and Moffatts, Hulses, Hudsons, Duryeas, etc., have combined to make the old town well known, both at home and in very many distant States, as one after another has left his ancestral acres to seek a home, if not a fortune, in other parts of our native land. Those who remained at home have kept the ancestral acres up to the standard of productiveness set by their fathers, have been the supporters of the old church and of the schools, and have erected beautiful homes.
Instead of the droves of fatted cattle which slowly wended their way through the Ramapo Valley to the Christmas market in the city, and the county butter, now the Erie Railroad carries its daily freight of milk, and the accustomed leisure, the good old-fashioned all-day visits, and early teas, have given way to the daily rush to the trains, or creameries, and the more elaborate, though no more enjoyable festal occasions, with formal invitations and great preparations.
Who shall succeed these old families who have so loyally supported the Church, the State and the School? Shall their fine residences, which now crown the hilltops, with their beautiful views, and the valleys with their peaceful streams, attract the residents of the nearby cities, as the neighboring town of Monroe is doing? Or will these homes pass into the hands of those who have to labor for their daily bread, day by day, and neither the one nor the other caring for the traditions of the past, caring not for the old churches, the old burial grounds, nor anything of the past.
This question comes home to many of us, as we see the changes going on about us, and we cannot answer.
CHURCHES AND PASTORS.
The first house of worship was erected in Blooming Grove, 1759. The old church stood until 1823, when the present building was erected. The first pastor was Rev. Enos Ayres, who stood first on the roll of the first class graduated at Princeton College. He died in 1762 and was buried in the old burial ground, a part of which, including his grave and the graves of Rev. Samuel Parkhurst and Rev. Benoni Bradner, was covered by the new church building. In 1764 he was succeeded by Rev. Abner Reeve, father of the celebrated Judge Reeve, who founded the law school at Litchfield, Conn. Rev. Abner Reeve resigned about 1786. In 1786, Rev. Samuel Parkhurst came as a supply and soon died here, and his grave is also under the present church. Then followed, in 1770, Rev. Anasiah Lewis, Rev. Case, Rev. Green and Rev. Silas Constant, as stated supplies for a time. Rev. Benoni Bradner filled the pulpit from 1786 until 1892, dying in 1804. He was buried here, his stone still standing erect under the church. After his retirement Rev. Joel T. Benedict preached a few months, Rev. Noah Crane, 1803 to 1811. He was succeeded by Rev. William Rafferty, who married a daughter of John Chandler and resigned in 1815, to become president of St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland. Returning on a visit in 1830, he died here, and is buried in the old Chandler family burial ground on the old homestead now occupied by B. C. Sears. August 7, 1816, Rev. Luther Halsey was installed as pastor. The church was admitted under the care of the Presbytery, with the reservation of its form of government, and remained in the Presbytery of Hudson until 1833, but has always been in fact Congregational. Rev. Luther Halsey served the church with great acceptance. Great revivals blessed his ministry, at one time nearly one hundred being added to the church. The present church building was erected under his ministry, and frequently filled. He resigned in 1824 to accept a professorship in Nassau Hall; later became professor of theology in Allegheny, in Auburn, and in Union Seminaries. He died in Pittsburgh on November 2, 1880, aged eighty-seven years. He was succeeded at Blooming Grove by James Arbuckle, then pastor of the Eighth Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia, who was pastor of the church until his death, July, 1847. In 1847, Rev. Ebenezer Mason, son of the celebrated John M. Mason, D.D., of New York City, became pastor, who died here the next year. After his death the pulpit was supplied until April, 1851, when Rev. Austin Craig was called, and served this church for fourteen years, when he resigned to accept the presidency of Antioch College, Ohio, and later was president of the Biblical School at Stanfordville, Dutchess County, N. Y., where he died, but is still held in loving remembrance by many of the congregation and in the town. He was succeeded in April, 1866, by Rev. Warren Hathaway, D.D., who still occupies the pulpit. Although he has had frequent calls to what seems to have been more attractive fields of labor, he still remains loyal to his old congregation and they to him. Both Eager and Ruttenber, to whom we are indebted for part of the facts herein stated, excuse a lengthy report of this old church, because of its being one of the landmarks of the town, and it still stands for righteousness, temperance, and charity toward all those laboring for the good of their fellowmen, but the congregation is greatly changed. In the place of the Marvins, and Seelys, Moffatts and Roes, who came in large loads containing the whole families, come very few of those still left of the Woodhulls and Marvins. Although the Tuthills and the Shons, who represent the old Moffatt family, the Hulses and Hudsons, Gerows and Sears, and Howells and Brewsters, still contribute their quotas toward the congregation, there are many vacant pews, and very many who trooped up the long aisles, and listened attentively to the instructive and eloquent sermons, and visited upon the old door stones, are seen there no more. In place of the tall form of David H. Moffatt, Jr., who used to lead the choir in the old gallery, stands the handsome pipe organ erected to his father's memory by David H. Moffatt, of Denver. And the church has a fund in memory of David Wright, given by his daughter Susan Wright.
In 1830, an effort was made to start an Episcopal church in Washingtonville, but met with no success. August 21, 1851, under the leadership of Rev. Henry Belden, a Congregational church was organized, and a building erected, which was afterward sold to the Methodist congregation, incorporated 1855. The First Presbyterian Church of Washingtonville was organized 1841. Connected with the Hudson Presbytery under the charge of Rev. Henry Belden the church grew to a membership of 121, when Rev. Henry Belden was succeeded by Rev. Phineas Robinson. A church building was erected in 1847, and Rev. Luther Halsey was called to succeed him and occupied the pulpit until October, 1856. Rev. Daniel Higbee served the church from August, 1858, until his death, October, 1867. He was succeeded by John Griswold, who served until April, 1871, when he was succeeded by Rev. James B. Beaumont, 1871 to 1881, George W. Morrill from 1882 to 1884, when an effort to unite the congregations of the First and Second Churches was made, but failed. In 1886, Rev. Joseph Greenleaf was called, and died in 1888. William M. Yeoman was pastor from 1898 to October, 1902. John A. McCallum, installed 1903, resigned June 20, 1907, leaving the church without a pastor at this date. Their church property has been increased by a new parsonage, 1872, and a handsome chapel and Sunday schoolroom, to the memory of Mary Scott Denniston, the widow of Hon. Robert Denniston, erected by her children.
In 1855, Dr. Luther Halsey, having a matter of difference with the New School Assembly, did not feel he could any longer remain under its care, and many of his congregation joining with him, they formed the Old School Presbyterian Church of Washingtonville. The church was organized in 1857, a house of worship built in 1858, and a parsonage added in 1871. Dr. Luther Halsey occupied the pulpit until April, 1862, when Rev. Arthur Harlow was called and ordained and installed, September, 1863; resigned in October, 1871, and died June 19, 1883. In 1872, B. G. Benedict became stated supply until 1875, when on account of ill health he resigned and was succeeded by Rev. N. M. Sherwood, who served the church ten years, resigning in 1885 in order that his occupying the pulpit might not embarrass the effort to unite the two Presbyterian churches. This effort failing, Rev. Eugene L. Mapes was called, April, 1886; installed 1887, and resigned a year later, having received a call to the Presbyterian church of Carlisle, Pa. The church was then supplied for some time, and then sold its property, and divided the proceeds between the Foreign and Home Mission Boards of the Presbyterian Church, part of the congregation giving to the First Presbyterian Church and part to the old Blooming Grove Church, and part to Bethlehem and Little Britain.
The Blooming Grove Methodist Episcopal Churchwas incorporated December 3, 1855. This is now theWashingtonville Methodist Church.It was for a long time on the circuit of Monroe, Oxford, Craigville and Highland Mills, but now is associated with the church at Salisbury Mills, has a fine church property, kept in very good repair, and has recently installed electric lights in connection with other improvements.
The Catholic Church of St. Maryis near Washingtonville on the State road, the first building erected in 1872, has been of late much enlarged and beautified under the direction and by the effort of Rev. Father Tetrau, and now has a fine property consisting of the enlarged church and rectory.
The Methodist Church of Salisbury Millswas incorporated in 1854, was connected with the New Windsor circuit until 1898, when it was connected with Washingtonville. It has a convenient and finely located building.
In Salisbury, largely through the efforts of Richard Caldwell and his wife, Sarah Beattie Caldwell, the Hope Chapel, connected with theBethlehem Presbyterian Congregation,was built, and has been an active organization ever since, and its Sunday school, supported by its founders, is large and active, and Sunday evening and other services well attended.
The Satterly Town Methodist Churchwas organized in 1855, a house built and services held for some time, but its supporters, withdrawing or moving from the neighborhood, the building was removed. Also about 1850 a church was erected at Craigville, for the use of that village and neighborhood, which soon passed into the hands of the Methodist organization, and was on the circuit with Washingtonville for many years, but service has for a long time been discontinued, though the building still stands in fair repair and is beautifully situated. Still another Methodist church was built about one mile south of Oxford Depot and used for the purpose of worship, but now has been turned to secular use; also near this was the Friends meeting house, now used as a dwelling.
Chester is one of the interior towns of Orange County, situated on the main line Erie Railroad, which together with the Newburgh branch, Lehigh and Hudson and Orange County Railroads, make up the chief commercial outlets to the ports on the Hudson and Delaware Rivers.
It consists of over sixteen thousand acres of fine farming land and is a noted dairy and stock farming section of the Empire State. Considerable enterprise has been shown in recent years in the culture of onions, celery and lettuce on the Greycourt meadows, which are among the most fertile of all the alluvial deposits of the country.
The title of most of the land of the township is from the famous Wawayanda patent, which covered the land deeded by the twelve native Indian proprietors, who signed a deed, March 5, 1703, for all the land from the high hills of the Hudson to the Shawangunk Mountains and the Jersey line. The highest points of vantage in Chester township, from which magnificent views may be obtained of the whole Wawayanda country, are Sugar Loaf Mountain, 1,220 feet elevation, and Goose Pond Mountain, 826 feet above the sea level. From these pinnacles may be seen the Catskills, which are much higher and further removed than the Shawangunk range of mountains.
The elevation in Chester village at Durland Square is 485 feet, and on the ridge back of the Presbyterian Church, extending toward Craigville, may be obtained extended views of a large portion of Orange County, spread out in every direction.
The H. W. Wood hills at East Chester, the T. S. Durland ridge at Greycourt, and the Guy Miller gravel hill, each have a magnificent outlook over a large scope of the country from Schunnemunk to Shawangunk. In the valleys between these ridges are the old highways following in some instances, Indian trails. It is but natural that along these roads the present village should have grown up.
Frank Durland
The road from Newburgh through Chester to Trenton and Morristown, N. J., is often spoken of in the Clinton papers and in more recent years it has been known as the King's Highway. It has been a noted road since Colonial days, having often been used by General Washington during the Revolutionary War. It is the natural avenue for intercourse between Newburgh and New Jersey. Crossing this road at Durland's Square is the old Albany and New York stage road, which enters the town of Chester at the Goshen line and to the metropolis continues its course southward near Greycourt. Leaving this old stage road at Nanowitt Park, which has been recently donated to the town of Chester by Rev. E. T. Sanford, pastor of the North Baptist Church of New York City, is the old Indian trail, which became a popular road during the Colonial days and leads to Greenwood Lake and to the ancient Sterling Iron Works. This road was traveled by Peter Townsend, one of the owners of the Sterling Iron Works, who lived in Chester during the Revolution, and whose descendants continued to reside here for many years.
There is also the new State road, No. 600, following quite closely the old Albany and New York road, excepting the course from Monroe to Chester is changed from the east to the west side of the Erie Railroad. The famous Glenmere Lake, formerly known as Thompson's Pond, is partly in the town of Chester, and is noted for its pickerel and bass fishing. Its area is about 400 acres.
The streams of the town are known as the Otter Kill, which flows through West Chester and is joined at Lincolndale by the Cromeline Creek, which was known in Colonial days as the "River."
The Cromeline has its sources of supply near the northern headwaters of Greenwood Lake in the watershed known as "Dutch Hollow;" also from the outlet of Walton Lake, known in Colonial days as the "Little Long Pond" to distinguish it from Greenwood Lake, which in the early period of our history was known as Long Pond. Along the Cromeline Creek are the fertile meadows formerly known as the Great Beaver meadows.
Since the erection of the Cromeline house in the year 1716, which stood on the south side of the road opposite the present home of W. R. Conklin, the meadows have been known as the Greycourt meadows, from the fact that this Cromeline house was known as the Greycourt Inn. This name was also given to the cemetery, near this old inn, and when the Erie Railroad was built in 1841, this name was applied to the junction of the Erie Railroad with the Newburgh branch and the Warwick Valley, first called East and West Junction, afterwards Chesterville, and finally the euphonious name of Greycourt was decided upon as the name appropriate for the station adjoining these famous Greycourt meadows.
COLONIAL AND REVOLUTIONARY HISTORY.
On the 22nd of August, 1775, the Provincial Congress of New York passed a law under which the militia of the Revolution was organized.
The several companies so formed were directed to be joined into regiments to consist of not less than five nor more than ten companies. When the organization was perfected, the companies of Orange formed the Fourth Brigade under Brigadier General George Clinton. This brigade was composed of four companies of Ulster and five of Orange County, commanded respectively by Colonel Allison, whose regimental district included Goshen, of which Chester was then a part, and the western part of the county. There were Colonel Hathorn, whose district embraced Warwick and the settlements; Colonel Woodhull, the district which is now Monroe and Blooming Grove; Colonel Hasbrouck's district, embracing Newburgh and vicinity; Colonel Clinton's of New Windsor, Montgomery and Wallkill.
During the early years of the war our people (located, as they were, not far removed from the Hudson) were almost constantly under arms or engaged in the construction of the forts of the Highlands, or preparing the obstructions to navigation through these Highlands.
The contract for the making of the last chain drawn across the Hudson at West Point, on April 30, 1778, was awarded at the home of Mr. Peter Townsend, who resided at this time in the old homestead opposite the Presbyterian Church, in Chester village, by Secretary of War, Mr. Pickering. Mr. Townsend, of the firm of Townsend & Noble, at this time was one of the owners of the Sterling furnace, where the chain was made.
During the years 1776 to 1779 our troops were very active and were kept informed by the aid of cannon firing by day and beacon fires by night. From December, 1776, to April, 1778, our militia was called out no less than twelve times and spent 292 days in the field.
At a meeting of the County Delegates called to meet at the Yelverton Inn (still standing in Chester), on September 17, 1774, Henry Wisner was elected and sent as a delegate to the Continental Congress at Philadelphia, "to protest against the unjust taxation." On December 9, 1776, General Clinton was ordered to co-operate with Generals Lee and Gates to harass the enemy, who had then entered northern New Jersey. The resolution read as follows: "That all the militia of Orange and Ulster Counties be forthwith ordered to march properly armed and accoutered with four days' provision to Chester, Orange County, N. Y."
This fixes the date of the encampment of these troops on the hill where the present new modern school-house is being erected, as being about the latter part of December, 1776, or January, 1777. The encampment probably consisted of part of the four regiments, under Colonels Allison, Hathorn, Woodhull and Clinton. An order was issued on January 4, 1777, dismissing part of these troops, leaving about 300 men in the above camp for the winter.
One of the first engagements in which our Chester patriots took part, occurred at Suffern, October 3, 1777, when Major Thomas Moffatt ordered Captain Wood and twenty men to cover the pass through the mountains at this point, where they intercepted a band of Tories, with the result of one robber killed and three wounded.
Our company was engaged under Colonel Allison later on at Forts Montgomery and Clinton. While these events were transpiring on the Hudson, the western frontier was harassed by the incursions of the Indians and Tories under the leadership of the educated half-breed Brant, together with Butler the Tory. Our troops becoming alarmed by the fugitives' accounts of the massacres and burnings taking place on the frontier, Colonel Hathorn, together with Lieutenant Colonel Tusten, of Colonel Allison's Goshen Regiment, and with such numbers of the commands as could be brought together in so brief a time, proceeded at once to Minisink, on July 22, 1779, to take part in that bloody battle on this date. Several of our Chester Company were among the brave troops.
SUBSEQUENT HISTORICAL INCIDENTS.
After the Revolutionary War and until 1845, the village of Chester was a part of the township of Goshen, and had become quite an important trading center, being at the junction of the two leading State roads. Up to the time of the building of the Warwick Valley road, in 1863, now the Lehigh and Hudson, the pig iron from Wawayanda Lake forge was carted to Chester for shipment on the Erie, the butter and other farm produce from the Vernon Valley, extending as far as Newton, N. J., was also brought to this point for shipment. It was but natural that the trial to decide the boundaries of the Chesekook and Wawayanda Indian patents should have been held at this place. In the year 1785, in the barn connected with the Yelverton Inn, erected in the year 1765, still standing, in good state of preservation, and owned by Joseph Durland, some of the older inhabitants and pioneers of Orange County met with the nation's most famous lawyers, Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr. The Wawayanda patentees were fortunate in securing these men during this trial, and many historical facts were brought out, through the witnesses sworn at this trial. In their testimony concerning what they knew about the early settlement of the country and the relations of the whites to the native Indians, the evidence was set forth. The burden of the testimony seemed to prove that Schunnemunk was not considered by the pioneers as the high hills of the Hudson. On this trial, Judge Elihu Marvin stated "that he was born in 1719 and moved in what is now known as the town of Chester in 1742. Whenever he visited Haverstraw and returned as far as the Ramapo River, it was always called beyond the High Hills of the Hudson."
Hugh Dobbin, aged seventy-six, stated "that he lived near Sugar Loaf Mountain since 1738."
Deliverance Conkling, who lived near Wickham's Pond, stated "that he was 71 years old, and has known personally Lancaster Symes, one of the Wawayanda patentees, and the pond at Goose Pond Mountain used to be called Cromeline Pond, and abounded in wild geese."
Samuel Gale was born in 1737, and testified "that the Chesekooks line had always been disputed."
William Thompson was born in 1723, was chain bearer for Colonel Clinton and usually stopped, when surveying the Chesekook patent, at Perry's near Wickham's Pond. He had talked with the Indians and remained at times in their wigwams.
Ebenezer Holly, born 1698, stated that he knew Captain Symes, Captain Aske, Christopher Denn and Daniel Cromeline. In dispute with the Indians, Governor Burnet had decided that the Indians must move off the land; among the Indians who still claimed land were Rondout, Hons and Romer. He stated that Cromeline made his first improvement at Greycourt.
S. Headden
John Kinner, a Chester resident, held land in this disputed tract under Mr. Wisner, Dr. Baird and Mr. Scott.
James Board, aged sixty-five, born in England in 1720, came to this country with his father, Cornelius, and brother, David, in 1730; sent by Alexander, Lord Sterling, to discover copper mines; discovered iron ore deposits at Sterling, built there a forge in 1735, and in the year of 1740 removed to Ringwood. The mountains west toward Warwick were called by that name. The Sugar Loaf Mountain was called by that name as long as he remembered.
Soon after the forge was going it was sold by Cornelius Board & Sons to Coldon & Ward.
During this trial Burr and Hamilton were guests at the old Yelverton Inn. The court adjourned to meet again at Chester, in Yelverton barn, in October, 1785, at which session it was decided that Chesekook patent should comprise all the land east of Goose Pond Mountain and the great Beaver Meadows, to the western line of Evans patent and the Hudson River.
In the early part of the nineteenth century, living in and about West Chester, were Joseph Durland, born in 1762, Benjamin Dunning, Daniel Denton, James Roe and Michael Renton. On the Florida road lived Thaddeus Seely and Major Holbert. At Chester lived Asa Vail opposite the second academy, Edmund Seely, Seth Satterly and Dr. Townsend Seely. Peter Townsend lived opposite the Presbyterian church. Isaac and William Townsend on the C. B. Wood ridge, Elmer Cooper and Dr. Dodd, Aaron Cox, the hatter, and Stephen Cooper, born in 1788; David G. Drake, born in 1760. The old Samuel Satterly house stood on the brow of the hill, nearly opposite the joining of Old New York road, near the new State road; from this point at the bridge, which was called in these early days the "Purgatory Bridge," the most popular amusement was running races. The course lay from this bridge to the oak tree, which is still standing near H. W. Wood's residence. On special days, July 4, and in the autumn, the people from miles around fairly lined the short course in numbers from three to four hundred people. In fact, nearly double the number of our whole population at that period. Purses were usually made up at such times at the course, and great horses contested. Among them were Webber's "Kentucky Whip," a great running sire from Kentucky; Tom Thumb and Saltrum. The visitation of such noted running stock to Chester was the beginning of an improvement in the racing stock of this section. This development found its climax in the birth of Hambletonian, the progenitor of the American trotter.
When the old "Hero of Chester" died in 1876, he was buried on the hill on the W. M. Rysdyck place. Since that time a granite shaft costing $3,000, has been erected, to mark the resting place of this notable sire.
About 100 years ago Isaac Kinner and Daniel Cooley lived on the western foothills of the Goose Pond Mountains.
On the Craigville road lived Dr. John Boulton, Birdseye Young, Albert Seely, Samuel Denton, Hezekiah Moffatt and Jesse Carpenter.
THE GROWTH OF A CENTURY.
About 1721, we find John Yelverton, of New Windsor, in this section. The deed recorded, 1765, by his grandson and executor, Abijah Yelverton, who kept the Yelverton Inn, in old Chester village, conveys three parcels of land in 1721 in Goshen to John Yelverton, in trust "for a parsonage, minister's house and burying place; also to build a meeting house thereon or a public edifice for the worship of God in the way and manner of those of the Presbyterian persuasion," signed by twenty-four land owners in the different parts of the Wawayanda patent. This has reference to the Goshen Presbyterian church. During this period Chester, with the rest of this part of the county, was included in the precinct of Goshen.
Richard Edsall's survey, made in 1741, mentions William Seely and Rulof Swartwout as living in this neighborhood.
The township of Chester is well arranged for the transaction of public business, and is the practical outcome of the ambitions of a progressive century. In 1845 from the towns of Goshen, Warwick, Blooming Grove and Monroe, the township was organized with James Gray as its first supervisor, 1845.
C. B. Wood
The first deed that we find made mention of was John Beers as owning 120 acres of the Cromeline patent; he sold the same June 16, 1751, to John Ensign, who in turn sold 42-3/4 acres of the tract, on May 19, 1755, to John Yelverton, gentleman, for the sum of 97L. and 4S. current money. Upon this land the village of Chester is located.
Many familiar names of the families living in our township to-day are found on the assessment rolls of dist. No. 4, town of Goshen, of September, 1775, signed by Nathaniel Roe.
This district may be described as running from Greycourt to Satterlytown, Sugar Loaf to Summerville, to Fort Hill, with no less than 119 land owners with an assessed valuation of 370L. 8S. 17D.
Abijah Yelverton, in the year of 1783, gave an acre of ground for church purposes. The year 1797 saw the beginning of the first meeting house. In 1708 the first minister began his labors in the Presbyterian church at $75 per annum, "with the privilege of teaching to piece out his support." This meeting house stood on the high ground in the rear of the residence of Dr. S. G. Carpenter, in the old village of Chester. It was commodious for the time, with square pews, but was used without being heated. The next church was built in 1829, and was located about the center of the present cemetery at East Chester.
Our earliest district school-house stood opposite the Dr. Edmonston home in the old village. It was erected during the latter part of 1700. Another was located on the Goshen road near Dr. A. T. Sanden's residence. Long before the noise of railroads disturbed the quiet of our hamlet, the mails were brought by the old stage coach.
Chester was favorably situated for the exchange of mails, the Goshen stage running through here to meet the Newburgh and New York stage line at Southfield and the Warwick stage line, using our road to connect with the same line at Washingtonville.
The first post-office was established in Chester in 1794. Joseph Wickham being the first postmaster located at West Chester, then and now a part of Chester village, afterward it was moved to the old village and in 1842 was removed to the building opposite the present Erie Railroad tower at Chester Station. The idea of offering fresh milk from the country to the distant consumer in the city originated with a road contractor named Selleck who interested some of our leading farmers in the project and succeeded in getting a supply sent by the Erie in the spring of 1842. It was shipped in the blue pyramid churns of that day. The first shipment were about six cans per day and freight charges were by weight, twenty cents per hundred pounds. The price paid the producer was two cents per quart, placed on the cars at Chester. The farmers soon finding that there was more money to be made from milk at two cents per quart than butter at fifteen cents per pound, began sending milk to Selleck. Thus the milk business of the county was born, and in spite of the many difficulties, this business has alone been the means of building four railroads in Orange County and returned to it over $100,000,000.
In 1784 mention is made of a saw-mill on the trout brook, on the Sterling road. These mills are now known as Bull's Mills. A grist-mill was then operated on the opposite side of the stream. The old flouring mill at West Chester was established soon after the settlement was made. As late as the year 1820, an old mill stood upon the ground just above the present Chester mills. During these times they used two run of stone and never were compelled to shut down for lack of water.
Chester's first library was incorporated November 17, 1779, with seven trustees, and was verified before Judge Wickham and recorded the same year. Abijah Yelverton was the first librarian.
The war of 1861 occasioned a great demand for onions and our onion culture on the black meadows began about that time. Our average yearly production has been about 60,000 bushels. During revolutionary times a part of these meadows were cultivated for raising hemp; later on, potatoes and corn.
INCORPORATION.
The movement for both our present water supply and for the incorporation of the village first took effective shape in the year 1891, when a few public-spirited citizens of the village subscribed to a fund to be expended in a survey to determine whether the water of Little Long Pond, now known as "Walton Lake," could be brought to the village under such pressure as would make it available for fire protection. The preliminary survey was made under the direction of Joseph Board and George M. Roe. The facts were convincing that this was a most favorable project for a water supply. First, the organization of a private company was proposed, and from this developed the incorporation of our village, the citizens realizing that if we were to have a water supply it must be owned by the village. Accordingly this was done with the happy result that has made us the envy of our neighboring villages.
Joseph Board
On October 17, 1892, Mr. Joseph Board was appointed as resident superintendent in the construction of the water works, and when the water was turned on, in exactly a year, October 17, 1893, the inhabitants of our village had the satisfaction of knowing that each length of pipe so laid had been under the inspection of our superintendent.
The village of Chester was incorporated June 23, 1892. having a population of 1,400; 125 voters favored the incorporation and only the small number of thirteen opposed the proposition. At the first caucus, held July 12, 1892, were nominated W. A. Lawrence as president; Joseph Durland, George M. Roe and Thad. S. Durland, trustees. At the first election, held July 20, 1892, the above citizens were elected to their respective offices. The village board was organized on the same date, naming Joseph Board as village clerk.
The board of water commissioners was organized August 15, 1892, with Messrs. W. A. Lawrence, Joseph Durland, George M. Roe and T. S. Durland as commissioners, and Joseph Board, clerk. A taxpayers' meeting was called September 2, 1892, to vote on the question of assessment for water-works, with the following results: Sixty-eight in favor, against seven. Contract was executed at a total cost of $53,000 at their final completion.
This water supply for the village of Chester is one of the best in the State. The source is Walton Lake, formerly known as Little Long Pond, a beautiful sheet of spring water, covering an area of 127 acres, with a storage capacity of 3-1/2 feet, each foot of water giving a supply of over 40,000,000 gallons. This supply is a gravity system. From this lake, at an elevation of 250 feet above the level of Main street, at Chester Station, giving a working pressure of 80 to 90 pounds, there was laid for water-mains, 8,197 feet of 12-in. pipe, 6,978 feet of 19-in. pipe, 14,820 feet of 8-in. pipe, 5,748 feet of 6-in. pipe, 6,312 feet of 4-in. pipe.
Since the introduction of Walton Lake water, both the Walton Hose Company and Hook and Ladder Company have been organized.
After the incorporation the present municipal brick building was erected at a cost of $5,000. In this building rooms for village officers and parlors used by the fire department are located. In connection with our fire department, there is an annual inspection at which time the Chester military band of twenty-five members, under the leadership of George W. Ball, adds greatly to the village life.
In the year 1905, the Orange and Rockland Electric Company was organized, with R. W. Smith as president, and G. M. Roe as vice-president; Zael Paddleford, secretary; Frank Durland, treasurer. This company was organized and stock subscribed for by the citizens of Chester and Monroe.
The streets of the village, which were formerly lighted by kerosene, are now illuminated by electric current, generated by this company. Our Telford streets were laid in the year 1901, at a cost of $17,000. A distance of two and one-quarter miles were constructed through the main streets of the village.
CHURCHES.
The Presbyterian Church of Chester,while it had been ministering to the spiritual needs of the community for more than a quarter of a century, effected its legal organization December 26, 1826, with David Roe, Henry Seely, James Holbert, Elnathan Satterly, Joseph Sherwood and Townsend Seely as trustees.
The present house of worship, being the third erected by this congregation, was dedicated January 4, 1854. The present chapel was added in the year 1884. The church was remodeled and memorial windows added in the year 1898. In the year 1898 the church celebrated the centennial of its existence with impressive services and the publication of an interesting history of its century of church life.
The commodious parsonage adjoining the church was erected in 1895 at a cost of about $8,000.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Sugar Loaf.—Rev. Isaac Condee was the first Methodist preacher to visit Sugar Loaf, which he did in the year 1803 or 1804, and first preached in the home of John D. Conklin.
In the fall of 1804 he organized the first class and appointed John D. Conklin, leader. It is the mother of all the Methodist churches within a radius of ten or twelve miles.
The certificate of incorporation was executed on August 6, 1809. The trustees then chosen were Henry Wisner, Jr., Joseph Beach, Andrew Cunningham, Benjamin Wells, Richard Wisner, Horace Ketchem, Elijah Stevens, John D. Conklin and Benjamin Horton.
A subscription was taken and the first church was built in year 1810. Ten years later, in the year 1820, the Sunday school was established. The parsonage was erected in the year 1832. The second church, the present building, was built in 1852, and at three separate times it has undergone repairs. Rev. J. B. Wakeley, D.D., preached the sermon at the dedication of the church in the year 1852, and following the extensive repairs to the church, made in 1872, Bishop Cyrus D. Foss preached the dedication sermon. The church celebrated the centennial of its existence in the fall of 1904, at which time many of the former pastors were present to participate in the services, when Bishop Foss was again present.
A long list of worthy men have served this church as pastors. Rev. P. N. Chase, Ph.D., is at present in charge; M. D. Stevens, superintendent of the Sunday school; Miss Alice Turfler, president of the Epworth league.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Chesterwas organized in the year 1837, and for some time used the academy for worship; afterwards used the "Ball Room" of Yelverton Inn. In the year 1852 the present property was purchased and the church, edifice erected in charge of the following trustees:
C. B. Wood, W. L. Foster, Daniel Conklin, S. R. Banker, John T. Johnson, William Masterson, G. B. McCabe.
In 1867 the church was enlarged and in 1878 the present parsonage was purchased. In the year 1879 the sum of $3,000 was expended in beautifying the church building.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church.—The organization of St. Paul's Episcopal Mission was effected on May 25, 1897, at which time Samuel Wilkins and James A. Parkin were elected trustees. Services were held in various places until the summer of 1898, when land was purchased and the present church edifice on Main street was erected. The church was dedicated by Archdeacon William R. Thomas, D.D., on August 6, 1898. The church was consecrated by Bishop Henry Cadman Potter on July 25, 1899. Prior to this, the usual organization of the Episcopal Church was effected. Mr. Samuel Wilkin and R. W. Chamberlain, wardens, were elected. J. A. Parkin, E. T. Jackson and W. F. Depew, vestrymen. Articles of incorporation were filed on February 27, 1899.
The clergyman, Rev. J. Holmes McGuinness, D.D., at this time was elected.
St. John's African Union Chapel.—This church was organized on June 22, 1904, under the auspices of the African Union First Colored Methodist Protestant Church in America and Canada, with five members and Rev. Edward Nicholas as pastor. The church and Sunday School has at present a total membership of eighty-eight.
Rev. Mr. Nicholas was assigned to this field of labor by the ninetieth annual conference of the above named denomination, held at the mother church in Wilmington, Delaware County, May 18, 1904.
The citizens of the place have done much to encourage this well begun work.
ORGANIZATIONS.
Chester Lodge No. 363, Knights of Pythias, was organized in the year 1894, and the lodge charter is dated July 25 of that year. The lodge was started with a membership of twenty-one, which has increased to forty Knights. The lodge conventions are held every Thursday evening at Castle Hall, in the Wilkin building. The sums paid to members in sick benefits since the organization amount to $1,000.
Standard Lodge No. 711, F. & A. M., was instituted July 27, 1871, and continued to meet in this place, where many of its members resided until a few years ago, when a majority decided to change its place of meeting to Monroe.
The Chester National Bank was organized in the year 1845 as a State bank, and became a national bank on June 6, 1865.
The bank occupies the up-to-date quarters in its new building, erected in 1896, on Main street. The building is of brick, with Quincy granite facing, built at a cost of $10,000, its fire and burglar-proof vault containing 100 safe-deposit boxes, at an added cost of $8,000.
Chester free library, organized through the effort of Chester Library and Social Club, was chartered by the University of the State of New York, December 19, 1901. The original trustees were Hiram Tuthill, president; Charles W. Kerner, secretary and treasurer; Joseph Board, Joseph Durland and Roswell W. Chamberlain, trustees. Mrs. Abbie Masters is librarian. The library owns about 800 volumes, and in 1907 circulated 3,543 books. It is supported by voluntary contributions and entertainments. The reading room, which is well supplied with periodicals and the library, are open to the public on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evening's and Saturday afternoons.