CHAPTER XXVI.

A Few Briefs.

Dr. C. A. Gorse

Less than three centuries ago, to be accurate in 1609, Hendrick Hudson sailed up the beautiful river to which he gave his name, and anchored in the broad bay above the Highlands to trade with the aboriginal inhabitants, who then inhabited the primeval forests which lined its banks.

It is probable that he and some portion of his crew were the first men who set foot upon the virgin soil of New Windsor, but it was not until more than half a century later, in 1685, that a company of Scotch and Irish emigrants to the number of twenty-five families, with their servants, under the leadership of Colonel Patrick McGregorie, accompanied by his sons-in-law, David Foshack and Captain Evens, settled upon the extreme eastern extremity of the town, now known as Plum Point, an elevation of 118 feet above the river and consisting of eighty acres at the mouth of the Moodna Creek.

Here they erected a commodious cabin and established a trading post; this is the earliest recorded settlement in the county. Colonel McGregorie was appointed muster general of the militia of the province and after his death, in 1691, in an endeavor to suppress an insurrection by the Leister party, his sons-in-law and their families continued to reside here until 1789. The patent which the Colonel obtained to the land passed into the possession of his son, Patrick McGregorie, Jr.

The town is wedge-shaped, its sharp edge of about five miles in extent resting upon the river. There is but a small extent of comparatively level land along the river bank upon which the village of New Windsor stands, back of which there rises a steep bluff with a surface of sand and gravel, and a substratum of clay, which is used in the manufacture of an excellent quality of brick, which at the present time is the principal industry of the place. The township is bounded on the north by the city and town of Newburgh, from which it is separated by Quassaick Creek, an outlet of Washington Lake, formerly known as Little Pond, also a portion of the town of Montgomery; on the west by the towns of Montgomery and Hamptonburgh; on the south by Blooming Grove and Cornwall. From the latter town it is separated by Moodna Creek, near its mouth. On the east it is bounded by the Hudson River.

The soil is of a sandy and gravelly nature, interspersed in some portions by rocks and large stones, of a diversified surface, being rolling and hilly. After leaving the river the surface gradually ascends for a distance of two or three miles, interspersed with gentle elevations which have been utilized by retired business men of New York for sightly country residences, most of which command a magnificent view of the noble Hudson, and the picturesque Highlands in the distance.

On the northern edge of the town rises Snake Hill, or more recently called Muchattoes Hill, an elevation of 600 feet above the river. It lies north and south and is almost perpendicular on its eastern extremity, but slopes gradually on the west, from which the surface is again rolling and adapted to agricultural purposes. At the distance of about five miles from the river the town is crossed north and south by two ridges, rising in amphitheatre form, from whose summit is obtained a most elegant view of the surrounding country. The Highlands on the south, the Fishkill Mountains on the east, the Shawangunk Mountains on the north, and the Sugar Loaf and Schunnemunk Mountains on the west.

PATENTS.

The earliest recorded patent was issued to Patrick McGregorie in 1685. Others were as follows: 1,000 acres to William Chambers and William Southerland, September 2, 1709; 4,000 acres (in part) to Charles Huddy and Phillip Brooks, February 20, 1709; this included subsequently a portion granted to Mary Ingoldsby and her daughter, Mary Pinkhorn, August 12, 1720; 4,000 acres to John Haskell of the dates of April 9, 1719, and April 24, 1721; 800 acres to Vincent Matthews, June 17, 1720; 1,000 acres to John Johnson, February 3, 1720; 1184 acres to James Henderson, February 12, 1722; 1,000 acres to Vincent Price (in part), July 21, 1721; 2,000 acres to Andrew Johnson, July 19, 1719; 1,000 acres to Louis Morris, July 21, 1721; 2,000 acres to Patrick Hume, November 29, 1721; 3,292 acres to Cornelius Low & Co. (mainly), March 20, 1720; 1,000 acres to Richard Van Dam (in part), June 30, 1720; 2,000 acres to Phineas Mcintosh (mainly) April 9, 1719, and some portions of the patent granted to Cadwallader Colden, April 9, 1719, some portions of which and the Low & McIntosh patents were cut off in 1830, when the town of Hamptonburgh was created.

On the 7th of October, 1734, Dr. John Nicoll, of New York, purchased of John Waldron, Cornelius Van Horn and James Livingston 7,500 acres.

The Chamber and Southerland patents were divided November 7, 1723, into three equal parts. Chambers occupying the northern part, Matthews the central Part and Southerland the southern part, on the death of the latter in 1738, his portion passed to his two sons, William and John. On the death of William, without issue, John inherited and also obtained, in 1753, the water front from the village of New Windsor to Quassaick Creek. He sold this to Nathaniel Smith, of Kingston in 1738, together with a portion of the Ingoldsby patent, purchased by his father in 1726; also a portion of the German patent purchased by himself in 1742. Smith sold a portion to Robert Boyd, Jr., and another to George Clinton upon which the latter erected a house in 1769, and resided here until elected Governor in 1777, when he removed to Poughkeepsie. From him was purchased what is known as the Walsh farm on the Quassaick Creek, recently in the possession of his grandson, E. J. Dewitt Walsh. On this portion of the tract was Admiral William Chambers; Associate Judge John Chambers, 1751; Governor George Clinton, 1776; Captain Charles Ludlow, U. S. N. The central portion held by Matthews was purchased by John Aslop, 1724, whose son John Aslop, Jr., was prominent in the Revolution, and grandfather of Governor John Aslop King, in 1749. He also sold that portion on which the village of New Windsor stands to the company called the "Proprietors" of New Windsor, September 9, 1749. Their names were Vincent Matthews, Ebenezer Seely, Michael Jackson, Joseph Sackett, David Marvin, Evan Jones and Brant Schuyler.

The Southerlands tract came into the possession of Thomas Ellison in May, 1723, who erected a stone mansion on the bluff overlooking the river; also a storehouse and dock on the river, and conducted a prosperous business for over a century. His mansion was the headquarters of General Washington from 1779; until he moved to the Hasbrouck House in Newburgh.

He also purchased the Vincent Matthews patent, adjoining, at Vail's Gate, in May, 1724, upon which his son, Thomas Ellison, Jr., erected in 1754 the stone mansion and a mill, which subsequently came into the possession of his son John, and is now known as General Knox headquarters.

The fourth patent was on the Ingoldsby patent in 1726, by John Gate, who sold to Thomas Ellison in 1736. He sold a portion to James Edmonston in 1727, upon which the latter erected a stone house in 1754, just west of Vail's Gate, which figured conspicuously in the Revolution.

Dr. John Nicoll came into possession of a considerable tract, from one Peter Post in 1738, which extended from New Windsor village to the base of Snake Hill; his great-grandson now resides upon a portion of it on the river road.

David Mandeville purchased the Mary Ingoldsby patent May 1st, 1728, and sold to Samuel and Nathaniel Hazard who erected a mill which is still standing.

A patent was granted to Colonel John Haskell in 1719 of 2,000 acres and another 2,000 acres in 1721 upon which he settled in 1726. He erected a log cabin on what was known as the Dusenberry farm, upon which the army erected the Temple when encamped there. Other early settlers upon this tract were: Even Jones, Samuel Brewster, Elizabeth Stollard, Andrew Crawford and Neil McArthur.

The first settler upon the McIntosh patent was John Davis, July 5th, 1726; others about this time were Robert Boyd and the Dill families. Through his wife, Sarah McIntosh, Nathan Smith came into possession of a considerable portion of this tract and erected thereon a grist mill, a fulling mill and a store.

The first settler upon the Andrew Johnson patent upon which Little Britain now stands was John Humphrey, 1724; Peter Mullinder, 1729; also Mary McClaughry, John Read, Robert Burnett, in the same year; Charles Clinton, Alexander Denniston, John Young, Andrew McDowell, 1731.

The Mailler family were here prior to 1730, who sold to Robert Carscadden. Among others who settled here with the Clintons were the Armstrongs, Beatty, Barkly, Brooks, Denniston, Davis, Dunlap, Frazer, Gordon, Gray, Hamilton, Little, Mitchell, McDowell, McClaughry, Oliver, Nicholson, Thompson, Wilson and Young, whose descendants are numerous in the county.

The Low and Co.'s patent of 3,292 acres was granted to Peter Low, Garret Schuyler and John Schuyler and was divided among them. The third portion of John Schuyler passed by will to his nephews, Brant and Samuel Schuyler. Brant Schuyler eventually becoming sole possessor. Low and Garret Schuyler sold a considerable portion to Allen Jarrett, April 5th, 1720, Low sold 600 acres to John Vance, September 1st, 1734, and 200 acres to Jarvis Tompkins, May 22, 1738. Other settlers on this patent were: John Slaughter, 1720; Thomas Shaw, 1729; William Miller, 200 acres, November 12th, 1746: Charles Beatty, 200 acres of Brant Schuyler's, August 22nd, 1744, which he sold to James McClaughry, July 14th, 1749, the latter the colonel of the 3rd Regiment of Militia, who fought at the Highland forts in 1777. Beatty, the son of a sister of Charles Clinton, became a distinguished clergyman, some of whose descendants still reside at Salisbury Mills in this county.

James Gambell and John Humphrey purchased of the Hume patent 300 acres, April 6, 1730, and divided it equally between them. Gambell sold to Patrick Byrne, March 12, 1744, and Humphrey sold to Patrick McClaughry, February 22, 1769. The remaining portion of this patent was sold by James Ludlow, a nephew of the patentee, to James Neely, Henry M. Neely, William Young and Patrick McClaughry. William Young sold to Samuel Sly 233 acres, and Gambell and Humphrey sold their portion to William Tilford and Samuel Falls.

Cadwallader Colden became the owner of the John Johnson patent of 2,000 acres at the date of its issue. A portion of the Belknap family settled upon it in 1750.

The Van Dam patent of 5,000 acres passed into the possession of Jessie Woodhull in 1753, also a portion to Peter Gallatin, John Moffat and the Walling Brothers. This tract is now included in the present town of Blooming Grove.

The small Henderson patent early passed into the possession of John Wandel and David Edmonston.

The Lewis Morris patent of 1,000 acres was owned by Alexander Denniston, Francis Crawford, Thomas Cook and William Denniston in 1786, purchased from earlier settlers.

We have already mentioned under the head of patents, many of the early settlers. The earliest were those of Colonel McGregorie at Plum Point in 1685, and the Reverend Richard Charlton, sent out by the London Missionary Society in 1732, for the parish of New Windsor, which was connected with the Church of England. Among the names of the owners of the village were: Ebenezer Seeley, Brant Schuyler, Henry Case, Vincent Matthews, Michael Jackson, Daniel Everet, Even Jones, Hezekiah Howell, Joseph Sackett, Jr., James Tuthill, John Sackett, Jr., Colonel Charles Clinton, 1731; Dr. John Nicoll, 1734; William Ellison, 1732; John Ellison, Captain Jas. Jackson, William Jackson, Thomas Ellison, Isaac Shultz, Messrs. Logan, Bryam, Halstead, Denniston and others. At Little Britain, John Humphrey, 1724; Peter Mulliner, 1729, who gave it the name from Windsor Castle in England; Robert Burnett, John Reid, 1729; Charles Clinton, John and James McClaughry, Alexander Denniston and John Young in 1731. Among those who came from Ireland were James Edmonston, 1720; the Clintons, Alsop, Chambers, Lawrence, Haskins, etc., 1731, who settled in the eastern portion of the town, while the Coldens, Matthews, Wileman, Mcintosh, Bulls, settled in the more western portion.

NOTED RESIDENTS.

The most noted residents of this town were those of the Clinton family. Charles Clinton, the father of James and George, was a native of Langford, Ireland, of Scotch-English descent. He sailed with a company of relatives and friends in 1729, to escape persecution. Having espoused the cause of the Stewarts at the accession of the House of Hanover in 1689, he settled at Little Britain in 1731. He was a highly educated man and gave his sons a good education. He was a surveyor and a judge of the court of common pleas and fought in the French and Indian Wars, 1759 to 1763, was public spirited, had five sons and two daughters, lived to the ripe old age of eighty-three and died at home, November 19th, 1773.

One son and a daughter died at sea. Two of his oldest sons, Alexander and Charles, were physicians. James and George figured conspicuously in the early history of the Empire State. James, born in 1756, preferred the army to politics. He served with his father in the taking of Fort Frontenac in Canada, also in the invasion by the Indians of Orange and Ulster Counties, rose to major-general in the war of the Revolution, was in charge of the northern department, led an expedition against the Iroquois, cut a road from the Mohawk to Lake Otsego, dammed the outlet of the lake and floated the boats over the upper Susquehanna to reach the lower country with his command, was at the siege of Yorktown, member of the assembly, ratified the Constitution of the United Slates, and was a member of the convention of 1804 to amend the State Constitution; died at his home December 12th, 1812, 75 years of age; was buried in the family burying ground by the side of his father.

Rev. Charles Gorse

George Clinton, while a very young man, sailed in a privateer in the French War, was with his father and brother at the siege of Fort Frontenac, studied law under Judge William Smith, was clerk of Ulster County in 1759, member of the assembly in 1780, elected to the Continental Congress in 1775, Brigadier-General in 1776, first Governor of New York in 1777; commanded a brigade at the defense of New York City in 1776. He was in command of the forts in the Highlands which he nobly defended with 600 raw militia against 5,000 veteran British troops, and was overwhelmed and obliged to surrender in 1777; was Governor of the State for eighteen years, administering its trying duties with conspicuous ability; was president of the convention which met at Poughkeepsie in 1788; Vice-President of the United States in 1804; died soon after his re-election in 1808; has been designated as the father of the State. On the beautiful monument in the old Dutch Churchyard in Kingston, N. Y., is the following: "To the memory of George Clinton, born in the State of New York, 26th day of July, 1738, died at the City of Washington the 20th of April, 1812, in the 73rd year of his age. Soldier and Statesman of the Revolution, eminent in council, distinguished in war, he filled with unexampled usefulness, purity and ability, among other high offices those of Governor of his native State, and Vice-President of the United States. While he lived, his virtue, wisdom and valor were the pride, the ornament and security of his country, and when he died he left an illustrious instance and example of a well-spent life, worthy of all imitation."

DeWitt Clinton, a son of James, was born March 2nd, 1769, the exact place, being in dispute, some authorities claim at Fort DeWitt in Deer Park, while his mother was there on a visit; others claim at the home of his father, either at Little Britain or while he was residing in the village of New Windsor. Perhaps it doesn't matter so much where a man is born as what he may make of himself by strenuous efforts, as was the case with the illustrious Lincoln and the subject of this sketch. After graduation at Columbia College in 1786, he studied law with Samuel Jones; was admitted to the bar in 1789; became soon after secretary to the Governor, his uncle, and became devoted to politics; subsequently filled with great ability the following honorable positions: Member of the Assembly, State Senator, member of the council of appointment, United States Senator, Mayor of the City of New York, many times member of the council board, Governor of the State for two terms, candidate for President of the United States, being defeated by Madison, and was invited by Mr. Adams to serve as minister to England, and was the author of twenty-six acts which became incorporated in the laws of the State and nation. The following panegyric was given by William H. Seward, the political successor to the Clintons in New York State, in 1871.

"Only next after Alexander Hamilton, DeWitt Clinton was the wisest statesman, the greatest public benefactor, that in all her history the State of New York has produced." This was from the man who ten years after sat in his chair and persevered in carrying out his policies which established for New York the political leadership of the land.

Alexander Denniston came over with Charles Clinton and settled at Little Britain in 1731.

Robert Burnett came from Scotland in 1725, and purchased 200 acres at Little Britain in 1729.

Colonel James McClaughry, born in Philadelphia, when nine years old was brought by his uncle, John McClaughry, to Little Britain, all the way behind his uncle on horseback. He married Kate, a sister of Governor Clinton, received a colonel's commission at the commencement of the war, commanded a regiment at Fort Montgomery, 1777, where he was taken prisoner and sent to a hospital in New York, where he would have perished but for the extra care and comforts provided by his good wife, who ministered also to many others there. He returned to his farm at the close of the war and lived until 1790, dying at the age of 69.

Martin Dubois, a neighbor of Robert Burnett and General James Clinton, was an assistant quarter-master during the war.

Cadwallader Colden, Jr., of Coldenham, who married Betsy, a daughter of Thomas Ellison, of New Windsor, was a son of Cadwallader Colden, Sr. He was lieutenant-governor of the State from 1760 to 1770. He was arrested as a Tory in June, 1776, by the council of safety of the towns of New Windsor and Newburgh, and after due trial was confined in jail at Kingston, where he remained, for over a year, after which he was liberated on parole. The town of Coldenham is named after his family.

REVOLUTIONARY HISTORY.

This town is rich in Revolutionary lore. A portion of the troops of Colonel James Clinton were organized here in 1775. A battery of fourteen guns were mounted at Plum Point in 1776. The militia were rallied here in 1777, after the fall of the Highland forts and during the winter of 1779, 1780, 1781, 1782 and 1783, nine brigades under command of General Heath, were encamped at the foot of the ridge just west of Snake Hill and just south of the square at Little Britain.

Washington concentrated his forces here in 1779 and made his headquarters at the William Ellison house at New Windsor village, and remained there until 1782, when he removed to the Hasbrouck House in Newburgh and remained there until the army was disbanded in 1783. Other generals of the army were quartered at John Ellison's. Here were Generals Knox and Greene, while Gates and St. Claire were at the Edmonston House, Wayne at Newburgh and Baron Stuben at Fishkill, Lafayette at William Ellison's at the foot of Forge Hill. Other generals were quartered at the old Stone Hotel just west of Edmonston's. When Washington brought his army from New Jersey in 1779, he probably marched over the road from Goshen or Chester to New Windsor now known as the Vail's Gate-Chester State road, but which at that time must have been in a very rough and primitive condition, for a hill just west of Vail's Gate derives its name of Pork Hill from the fact that one of the commissary wagons loaded with salt pork was overturned on this hill, a conspicuous example how names will stick to places as well as to individuals. When Colonel Morgan marched through New Windsor with his three thousand riflemen to join Washington at Boston, a man preceded him who represented himself as Colonel Morgan to Mr. John Ellison, but when the Colonel himself arrived soon afterwards, the impostor was detected and was given over to his men for punishment, who gave him an effectual coat of tar and feathers.

At the camp grounds between Vail's Gate and Little Britain, the writer has traced the foundations of many of the huts in which the army was encamped from 1779 to 1782. The foundations were of stone, surmounted by hewn logs. A level meadow in front of the barracks was cleared for this purpose and utilized as a parade ground, but was of so marshy a character that for marching and drilling it required paving with flat stones, many of which are still in evidence. This must have been a labor of infinite difficulty and shows of what sturdy material these men were made. At the lower border of this parade ground was also constructed a causeway to the ridge opposite, upon which was erected a temple or public building, near which were also the barracks for some of the minor officers, a hospital, bakery, and a little further east the burying ground. To commemorate the site of this temple the Newburgh Revolutionary Monument Association has erected a rough stone monument on the farm of the late William L. McGill, now owned and occupied by his married daughter, Mrs. Richard Smith. It commands an uninterrupted view of the Hudson Highlands and the majestic river rolling between, offering exceptional advantages for watching the approach of any vessel on the river or of any considerable body of men from that direction.

NOTED BUILDINGS.

At Plum Point, formerly a portion of the Nicholl estate, still stands the stately mansion of the late Phillips Verplank. On the river side is the earthwork for the protection of the Chevaux-de-frise, one of five obstructions placed in the river at various points to prevent the ascent of the British fleet, but which proved ineffectual, as the ships of the enemy broke them all, and ascended the river to Kingston, which it burned.

Some portion of this boom and chain are now to be seen at Washington's Headquarters at Newburgh. A Scotchman by the name of McEvers, also located here, built a log cabin or tenement long prior to the Revolution; the excavation for the cellar, as well as the embankment, are still plainly visible.

The point is approached by a natural causeway from the river road, upon the opposite side of which stands the old-fashioned homestead of Dr. Nicoll, who purchased 500 acres of Peter Post and settled here in 1730.

On the bluff just south of the village of New Windsor stood the stone house erected and occupied by William Ellison and also by Washington as his headquarters from 1779 to 1782. This is now replaced by a modern Queen Anne building the residence of his grandson, Thomas Ellison.

Martha Washington is said to have visited the General while here. His estrangement from Hamilton also occurred here in 1781.

The Brewster House, known as Lafayette's headquarters, is situated just across the Moodna at the foot of Forge Hill.

The steep hill which ascends from this point to Vail's Gate derives its name from this circumstance. The iron used in its construction was transported on the backs of mules or horses from the forests of Dean Mines in Monroe. As you ascend Forge Hill just at its top you come to the most noted Revolutionary building now in existence in the town, known as General Knox's headquarters. It was built for Mr. John Ellison in 1735, and was in the possession of the Morton family for a number of years, who endeavored to change the name of the place to Mortonville, and for a time the post-office was known by this name, but on the death of the major it reverted back to the old name of Vail's Gate, from the toll gate stationed here, kept by the Vail family, father and son, for many years; this gate was still in existence in 1872.

Generals Knox and Greene, Colonels Riddle and Wadsworih were quartered here in 1779 to 1781 and General Rochambeau was also a visitor here to Washington.

The Edmonston building near the short cut crossing on the Erie at Vail's Gate, was built by James Edmonston in 1755. During the encampment of the Continental Army in this vicinity, it was made the headquarters of Generals Gates and St. Claire, and some of the other officers; also the hospital and military stores were kept here. When Washington arrived here with his army, he consulted with Edmonston as to the best place to locate his camp and was conducted over a bridle path by his son William to the Square which became their camp.

At the Square, so-called from being surrounded by four roads, is the Falls' House, occupied by the Widow Falls in 1777, when it was the rallying point for the scattered militia by General Clinton after the fall of the Highland forts. It is a wooden structure just opposite the Silver Stream school-house, now occupied by Mr. Charles Merritt. It was while General Clinton was here that the incident of the silver ball occurred. Major Daniel Taylor had been sent with dispatches concealed in a small silver ball by Sir Henry Clinton for Burgoyne. He was captured October 10th, 1777. After he had been conducted to the presence of General George Clinton, instead of Sir Henry, as he supposed, he swallowed the ball. Dr. Moses Higby, who was in the neighborhood, administered an emetic and it was soon disgorged. It contained the following on very thin paper:

"Fort Montgomery, Oct. 8th. 1777.

"Nous y, voici, and nothing now between us but Gates. I sincerely hope this little success of ours will facilitate your operations. In answer to your letter of September 28th by C. C., I shall only say, I cannot presume to order or even advise, for obvious reasons. I heartily wish you success.

"Faithfully, yours,

"H. Clinton."

Taylor was tried, condemned and executed as a spy.

THE TEMPLE.

It was upon what was then known as the Dusenberry farm, formerly a portion of the General Haskins' estate, an English officer who settled 4,000 acres, during the old French War, that this building was erected under the supervision of General Heath, for the use of the army and for Masonic meetings.

It was here that General Lafayette was made a Mason by the American Union League, which accompanied the army. It was built of hewn logs, 80 X 40 ft., with a barrack roof, first known as the Temple of Virtues, but on account of a carousal of the officers after the departure of Washington, on the night of its dedication, it was afterwards known simply as the temple.

It was also used for public services on the Sabbath. At the close of the war, a proclamation by Congress of the cessation of hostilities was read from its door and a celebration on a grand scale was held. Here also was held the meeting to consider the Newburgh letters, written by a Major Armstrong, to determine, "whether the army should rise superior to the grievances under which it had long suffered, and precipitate a separation between the military and civil powers." It was a vital crisis in the history of the republic, and a tragic ending prevented by an address of Washington to the officers at this time, which is a lasting monument to his unselfish patriotism, profound wisdom, superior ability and marked discretion. The Society of the Cincinnati was founded here in 1783. "To perpetuate among the officers of the army and their descendants, the memory of their toils, trials, friendships and triumphs, for succeeding ages." The following were among the signers: Lieutenant Robert Burnett, Brigadier James Clinton, Lieutenant Alexander Clinton, Lieutenant Daniel Denniston, Lieutenant George J. Denniston, Captain James Gregg, Captain Jonathan Lawrence, Major Samuel Logan, Ensign Joseph Morrell, Lieutenant William Stranahan, Lieutenant William Scudder, many of whose descendants are residents of the county.

On the northern side of the monument spoken of as marking the site of the temple, is the following inscription: "Erected by the Newburgh Revolutionary Monument Association, 1891. E. M. Ruttenber, president; James M. Dickey, vice-president; A. A. McLean, treasurer; Russell Headley, secretary."

On the western face is the following: "Omnia reliquit servere rempublicam.On this site the Society of the Cincinnati was born May 10th, 1783, at the last cantonment occupied by the American Army, and it still lives to perpetuate the memories of the Revolution. Committee of the New York State Society of the Cincinnati, Fourth of July, 1802. T. M L. Christy, chairman, William Simm Keese, John Shayler."

On the southern face: "On this ground was erected the temple or public building by the army of the Revolution, 1782-1783—the birthplace of the republic. This tablet is inscribed by the Masonic Fraternity of Newburgh, and its Masonic confreres under whose direction and plans the temple was constructed, and in which communications of the fraternity were held, 1783."

The Clinton homestead was situated about two miles north of Washingtonville, on the road to Little Britain.

VILLAGES.

New Windsor, in its early history, was the scene of great commercial activity and the outlet by the river for the produce of the country for miles around and promised to be the site of a flourishing town, but the limited extent of land between the river and the high bluff, of about 120 feet in length, but a short distance from the river, precluded the possibility of building any large towns between. This high bluff is composed of clay which is utilized in the manufacture of a fine quality of brick. Mr. William Lahey, who has two brick yards, is the leading manufacturer. Mr. Hugh Davidson and the late Mr. Walsh each owned one. The remains of several docks on the river front are still in evidence of its former business activity. A ferry to Fishkill was maintained for a number of years and until Newburgh sprang up and superseded it in commercial life it was a flourishing town. At the present time there are some thirty houses, stores and saloons, scattered along the river bank, occupied by about two hundred inhabitants. The first glass factory in this country was also built here.

Moodna, formerly called Orangeville, situated at the mouth of the Moodna Creek, is a small hamlet of perhaps thirty houses. There are also two factories at this place, a paper mill, formerly that of Townsend, now owned by the Hemmingway Paper Co., and a cotton mill owned by Mr. John Broadhead, of Firthcliffe, which is now closed. Plum Point, of Revolutionary fame, juts out into the river just north of the village and is frequently visited by tourists.

Vail's Gate, four and a half miles from Newburgh, contains about thirty-five houses, a Methodist Episcopal church, three hotels, and a general store, where Mr. Thomas Gushing has a new building.

The General Knox headquarters, the Edmonston house, and the old hotel buildings of stone are the most noted Revolutionary relics. The population is probably about four hundred.

Little Britain, made famous as the home of the Clintons, extends from the Square to the Little Britain creamery. At the Square are a dozen houses, most prominent among which is the Alexander Falls house. Here General Washington was a frequent visitor during the encampment of the army just south.

Rocklet, a small hamlet in the extreme western part of town, has a store and post-office, kept by Mr. Frank Mulliner.

The Ontario and Western railroad intersects the township for a distance of seven miles and is taxed for $85,000; Erie, six miles, assessed for $42,000; West Shore, five miles, assessed for $22,000.

The schools are—District No. 1, New Windsor; No. 2, Moodna; No. 3, Vail's Gate; No. 4, Mount Arie; No. 5, Silver Stream; No. 6, Little Britain; No. 7, Alexander Neighborhood; No. 8, Rocklet.

CHURCHES.

St. Thomas.—By the will of Thomas Ettson, Jr., fifty-six acres of land and the sum of six thousand pounds, English money, was bequeathed to his brother, William, and nephew Thomas, to be held in trust for the maintenance of a Glebe and minister under the jurisdiction of the Protestant Episcopal Church at New Windsor, the interest of said lands and sum to be paid yearly to the minister when in active service; when there was no service the interest therefrom was to be added to the principal. When a religious organization should be effected, the said lands and sum were to be conveyed to it. Such an organization was established, April 18, 1818, under the title of St. Thomas' Church, and the Rev. John Brown, then a resident of New Windsor, also serving St. George's Church at Newburgh, became its rector and continued so up to 1847.

In 1844, the old church having been destroyed by fire, a new one was started in 1847, and the present church completed in 1849. The old rectory having been burned, a new one was built in 1849. The value of the church property is estimated at $13,000. Among the prominent members who have been here for a good many years are, Messrs. Aymar Van Buren, J. Abner Harper, John Harper, F. W. Senff, R. D. Jeffreys, W. C. Gregg, the Misses Morton, Mrs. Leonard F. Nicol and others.

New Windsor Presbyterian.—This church was organized in 1794. It was associated with Newburgh or Bethlehem churches. From 1828 to 1834 the Rev. J. H. Thomas, of the Canterbury Presbyterian Church, served also this church, and from 1834 to 1835 he served this church exclusively. The first building was used by the Continentals as a hospital. This was subsequently destroyed by fire and the present structure was erected in 1807.

M. E. Church at Vail's Gate.—This church celebrated the centennial of its existence in the fall of 1806. the present building having been erected in 1706, and is the oldest church edifice. Its society originated from a union class started by John Ellison in 1789, and was conducted in one of his tenements for a quarter of a century.

Little Britain M. E. Churchwas erected in 1853 and occupied in 1854, and has been associated with other churches mostly during its existence. Services were held here up to 1885, since which it has remained closed.

Little Britain Presbyterian Churchwas organized in 1760 as Associated Reformed by Scotch and Irish emigrants. The first edifice was erected in 1765, and rebuilt in 1826. Its first pastor, Robert Annan, was installed in 1768, and served until 1783. Rev. Thomas J. Smith was his successor in 1791, who served until 1812, when Rev. James Schringeour, a Scotchman, was installed, and served until his death in 1825.

CEMETERIES.

The two principal cemeteries in this town are "Calvary," at the junction of Quassaic avenue and the Walsh road, established within the last decade by the Catholics, and "Woodlawn," a half mile further west, which contains about thirty acres and has been in existence about twenty-five years.

In the ancient burying ground connected with the Presbyterian church at the village of New Windsor, are the graves of James Williams and wife, Abigale Brewster; John Yelverton, one of the original settlers, who died in 1767 at the age of 74; Joseph Morrell, one of the heroes of the Revolution. Other early settlers whose names are recorded on tombstones are the Moores, Walshes, Logans, Brewsters and others. In connection with the M. E. Church at Vail's Gate is also another old burial ground. Here are the Mortons, the Stills, the Vails and many others of the forefathers of the hamlet who "rest from their labors and their works do follow them."

James Clinton, the father of DeWitt Clinton, was buried in the family burying ground on the Clinton estate. When the patriotic citizens of Newburgh thought to remove his remains to Woodlawn and erect a monument to his memory, all that could be found was the coffin plate. The following epitaph to the memory of his father was written by his son, DeWitt: "He had filled with fidelity and honor several distinguished civil offices, was an officer of the Revolutionary War, and the war preceding, and at the close of the former was a major general in the army of the United States. He was a good man and a sincere patriot, performing in a most exemplary manner all the duties of life, and he died as he lived, without fear and without reproach."

This triangular township is in the southeast corner of Orange County. It is bounded on the north by the towns of Monroe and Woodbury, on the east and south by Rockland County and on the west by the town of Warwick. Its area as given in the latest supervisors' report is 27,839 acres, and the assessed valuation of real estate is placed at $2,510,500. The title to the soil is derived from the Chesekook patent.

The general topographical features are invested with peculiar charm. The towering mountain crags and scattered bits of valley, the wildwood and forests primeval, are dimpled with beautiful lakes and threaded with purling streams. The Ramapo, which is made up wholly by the surplus waters of these lakes, has its head in Round Island Pond and flows thence southerly, through the valley which bears its name, into Rockland County.

The name Tuxedo is, undoubtedly, the corruption of one or more Indian words. In the language of the Algonquins, who occupied this region, it is found that to or tough mean "a place." A frequent habit of the Indians was to name a place after the chief whose tribe occupied it, and there was a sachem named P'tauk-seet, "the bear," who, in the seventeenth century, ruled over a tract of country including the present town of Tuxedo. Uniting his name with tough, the Algonquin for place, we should infer the original spelling to have been P'tauk-seet-tough, and its meaning "Place of Bears." The earliest mention of the name occurs in Sargeant's survey of 1754 where reference is made to Tuxedo Pond. In Chesekook's patent of 1769 it is written Potuckett. Erskine, in his survey of 1778-1779, writes it Tuxedo and Toxedo. In Eager's and Ruttenber's histories written respectively in 1847 and 1875 the name is corrupted to Duck Cedar, with the explanation that its margin is over-thrown with cedars and that it is a favorite haunt of wild ducks.

The first description of this region is written by the Marquis de Chastellux, a French officer who came to America with Lafayette, and who, on December 19, 1780, following the Continental road through the gorge south of the lake, then called "The Clove," presently came in view of Tuxedo. He mentions that at Ringwood he stopped to ask his way, and that at Erskine's house they gave him full information about the roads and wood-paths, and also "a glass of Madeira, in accordance with a custom of the country, which will not allow you to leave a house without taking something." Having been thus refreshed, he says: "I got on horseback and penetrated afresh into the woods, mounting and descending precipitous hills until I found myself at the edge of a lake so secluded that it is hardly visible from the surrounding thicket. Its banks are so steep that if a deer made a false step on the top he would infallibly roll into the lake. This lake, which is not marked upon the charts, and is called Duck Sider, is about three miles long and two miles wide (sic!), and is in the wildest and most deserted country I have yet passed through. My poetic imagination was enjoying the solitude, when, at a distance, I perceived in an open spot, a quadruped, which a nearer observation showed to be not the elk or caribou, for which I at first mistook him, but a horse grazing peaceably in a field belonging to a new settlement."

SETTLEMENT.

Following the grant of the Chesekook patent in 1702 there was no settlement in this territory for many years. The families who came were mostly of English ancestry and moved from Long Island and the Eastern States. The Smiths are supposed to have explored this region as early as 1727. The first settlement in the vicinity of Tuxedo Lake was made at the northern extremity of this body of water. Prior to 1765, a woodcutter named Hasenclever enclosed a ten-acre tract lying equally on both sides of the outlet. On a survey made in 1778 is shown his enclosure and the dam built by him, and also the position of the house, situated fifty yards northeasterly from the dam, and built by a man named Howard, who was probably "the original settler." During the Revolution, when the iron works on the Ramapo were liable to interruption by the British, Hasenclever's dam was raised several feet, and the overflow turned southwest to supply the Ringwood furnaces in New Jersey. During this period, Tuxedo Lake was the resort of a band of cowboys who at times found shelter among some rocks which they named after their leader, "Claudius Smith's Cave." (See general history.)

Vicent Helms was chosen constable in 1775. Phineas and Brewster Helms are also mentioned in the records of the old Town of Cornwall of which this locality was then a part. The hamlet Helmsburgh indicates the place where the families of that name lived before the Revolution. Moses Cunningham was a member of the first board of assessors of the town of Monroe erected in 1709. He lived at Greenwood Iron Works. Richard Wilkes, school commissioner in 1709, also lived here. Adam Belcher, school commissioner in 1800, lived at Southfields.

The survey and construction of the Continental road was performed by the military engineers of the Continental Army in 1778. It entered the park at the present south gate and followed the east lake shore at a somewhat lower level than the present road. From the Hoffman corner it continued up to the east slope of the Alexander place to the top of Tower Hill, where it crossed to the Coster place, thence to the Griswold place, which it crossed to the end of what is now the Wee Wah Lake and left the park near the present north gate where it joined the main turnpike road of the Ramapo valley. There was also a wood road from the present east gate to the Continental road at the Hoffman corner.

CHANGING CONDITIONS.

Up to 1864 the territory now embraced in the town of Tuxedo belonged to the town of Monroe. In the fall of 1883 a petition was sent to the board of supervisors requesting that the town be divided into three towns. The request was granted and the new towns were named respectively Monroe, Southfield and Highland. Monroe held its town meeting March 22, 1864, electing Chauncey B. Knight, supervisor. Southfield did likewise, electing Josiah Patterson, supervisor, while Highland chose its old favorite Morgan Smith. This piece of political surgery did not prove satisfactory, and in 1865 the Legislature overruled the action of the board of supervisors and restored to its citizens the old town of Monroe.

Again in December of 1889 the board of supervisors were prevailed upon to effect a triple division of the town. The reason advanced for this re-division was that the town was too large and its interests too diverse for harmonious government. It was resolved that the division should be made on the old lines, but that the names Tuxedo and Woodbury should be substituted for Southfield and Highland. This was duly passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor. The lines were run so as to give Monroe 12,101 acres, Tuxedo 27,839 acres and Woodbury 23,839 acres. However, the boundary line between Monroe and Tuxedo had not been clearly determined or marked by monuments. When the Heine Club desired to build a road from Mombasha to Southfield, it became a practical question how much of this road must be paid for by each town. Hence the question as to the dividing line. The men who were with the 1863 surveyor said: "It crossed Mombasha Pond, but they did not know where." A survey was then made by F. J. Knight, who established a true line, demonstrating that the line of 1863 had been a trial or random line. This decision placed Mombasha in the territory of Monroe.

In January 1890, J. Spencer Ford represented the town of Tuxedo in the board of supervisors; in 1894, Paul Tuckerman was elected supervisor; Mahlon J. Brooks filled the office in 1896 and 1897, and Charles S. Patterson, the present incumbent, has served continuously since 1898. Daniel F. Clark, the veteran bookkeeper, has held the office of town clerk since 1890. Gillmore O. Bush, the present postmaster and captain of the park police, held the office of town collector in 1890 and from 1894 to 1899. The assessors for 1907 are M. J. Brooks, Joseph W. Conklin and Benjamin Moffatt. The highway commissioners are George Griswold, Benjamin Moffatt and William Viner. District schools are located at Arden, Southfields, Eagle Valley, Scott Mines, and in Tuxedo Village are the primary and union free schools. Of the latter institutions, Mr. James Cronon has been the efficient clerk of the board since 1891. A private preparatory school is conducted within the limits of the park.

Episcopal churches are located at Arden and Tuxedo, Methodist Episcopal churches at Southfields, Tuxedo and Scott Mines. The Roman Catholic church is in Tuxedo village.

The main line of the Erie Railroad parallels the Ramapo river through the entire length of the town, and was opened in September, 1841. In this valley are the hamlets that took part in the iron industry of a century ago. Augusta was the seat of the "Augusta Works" founded at the close of the Revolution, 1783-1784, by Solomon Townsend of New York, to make bar iron and anchors. It was an important enterprise but not permanently successful. In later years the works came into the ownership of P. Lorillard, who allowed them to remain idle. Thirteen thousand acres of land were attached to the works. Southfield was the name of the locality of the "Southfield" and "Monroe" works. These enterprises were established about 1805 to make pig iron. The early proprietors were William and Peter Townsend. Stirling Furnace, of which the Southfield plant became an important branch, was in operation a century and a half ago. (See Warwick). The Sterling Iron & Railway Company filed their annual report with the county clerk January 17, 1865. They purchased mines, manufactories and other property in southern Orange. Greenwood Iron Works was established in 1811 by the Messrs. Cunningham to make pig-iron. Mr. P. P. Parrott became the subsequent owner. The Parrott Iron Company was formed by a certificate verified June 23, 1880. It engaged in mining and selling of iron ore and the manufacture of pig iron and steel. The capital stock was stated as $500,000. The trustees named were Peter P., Edward M., and R. D. A. Parrott. The locality is now known as Arden, and is the headquarters of the Arden Dairy Farms, of which Mr. William A. McClellan is manager. A short distance northeast, bordering Echo Lake, is the home of Mr. E. H. Harriman, who owns vast tracts of land throughout this region. Helmsburgh is a rural mountain locality west of Southfields. Eagle Valley is a station on the Erie Railroad, in the extreme southern angle of the town, near the New Jersey line.

TUXEDO PARK.

The tract of land containing this park consists of 7,000 acres, and came into the possession of the Lorillard family in 1812. Shafts were sunk in various places in an attempt to find iron ore, but the property was otherwise undeveloped until the advent of the Erie Railroad in 1841. The locomotives burned wood in those days, and an arrangement was made to supply the railroad with fuel. The hills and valleys were covered with large forest trees, all of which were sacrificed, excepting a few along the Continental road. The station here was for years known as the "Wood Pile."

About 1860 Tuxedo Lake was stocked with black bass, and from that time the fishing was carefully preserved for the Lorillard family and their friends. Up to 1885 no better bass fishing could be found anywhere than that afforded by this beautiful lake. This suggested to Mr. P. Lorillard (deceased, 1901), the idea of establishing here a shooting and fishing club. He bought out the other members of the family, and acquired a clear title to the whole tract. Five thousand acres were enclosed in a wire fence eight feet high. Deer were bought and turned loose. English pheasant eggs were procured in large quantities and several pheasant hatcheries were located. A fine trout hatchery was also built.

Having made a start on the preserve, Mr. Lorillard proceeded to organize the club. He gave a dinner to his sporting friends at the Union Club, New York, and his idea met with an enthusiastic reception. Twenty gentlemen were appointed a board of governors. Invitations to join the club were sent out, and temporary headquarters secured in New York.

The foundations of the clubhouse were laid, and about 1,800 men were employed in road-making. Before the new work was begun there was but the Continental road through the park. The first park road constructed was the Station road. The construction of the road around the lake was then undertaken. As the work progressed Mr. Lorillard decided, instead of a mere game preserve, to lay out a residential park. This plan involved enormous expense. Many roads were required to develop the building sites. A complete sewer and water system was constructed. A village for shops and employees and a large livery stable were built. An office in the village for the transaction of the park business was opened. At the same time Mr. Lorillard formed a stock company called the Tuxedo Park Association, to which he turned over all the lands and other assets of the park. The officers chosen were: Mr. P. Lorillard, president; P. Lorillard, Jr., vice-president; George D. Findley, treasurer, and William Kent, secretary. This company leased the clubhouse and grounds to the members for twenty-one years, and guaranteed the new club against loss for the first ten years of its existence and subsequently during the term of the lease. Fourteen houses were built and advertised for sale or rent. Twelve were located on Tower Hill and two across the dam at the foot of the lake.

The first sale of park property to a resident was made in February, 1886, when Dr. Morris H. Henry, Mr. Lorillard's personal physician, purchased Lot No. 101 on the map of Tuxedo Park. This was followed in March, the same year, by the purchase of Lot No. 120 by Allen T. Rice, the editor of theNorth American Review,and the same year Lot No. 121 was sold to William Waldorf Astor, Lot No. 123 to Pierre Lorillard and Lot. No. 103 to Travis C. Van Buren, all of which persons are now deceased, the land having in every instance passed into other hands.

That same year, Francis D. Carley, James L. Breese, Josephine Lee Price, James Brown Potter, Margaret S. E. Cameron and Mary L. Barbey also purchased land in the order named. Of these Mrs. Price, Mrs. Barbey and Mr. Potter still hold interests in the real estate.

The first person actually to take up his residence at Tuxedo with his family was Mr. Grenville Kane, who leased the cottage he subsequently purchased and is now the oldest resident of the park proper. Mrs. Price and William Kent, in the order named, being the next arrivals.

Thus the park as a place of residence became an accomplished fact, through the indomitable pluck and energy of Mr. Lorillard. Each year has shown a steady and substantial gain in residents. The present officers of the association are: P. Lorillard, president; George Griswold, vice-president; George D. Findley, treasurer; and William Kent, secretary.

As an organization the Tuxedo Club is very strong. The club book of 1908 shows a membership of 374, of which seventy-seven were resident members. Among them are found the family names of those not only prominent in business and financial circles, but also who have been identified with the society of the State since the earliest periods. The club is self-supporting, has renewed its lease with the Tuxedo Park Association for a term of years, and bids fair to become a great center of social life.

TUXEDO VALLEY.

So comprehensive was the scope of the original plan of development, that a whole village was created at the time of the founding, near the entrance gate, containing stores, cottages, and subsequently a town hall, schoolhouses, churches, library, and a $30,000 hospital now in course of construction.

The Tuxedo Stores Company was organized March, 1894. Each resident of the park was invited to subscribe to the stock, and the company began business April 1, 1894.

The Tuxedo electric light plant was organized in 1899, and is owned and controlled by the residents of Tuxedo.

St. Mary's-in-Tuxedo.—In 1887 Mr. Henry T. Barbey obtained from the association a grant of land, on which he erected the first church building at Tuxedo, since which time it has been greatly enlarged by additions from time to time including a large parish house—until it had grown into the present beautiful church edifice. It was consecrated October 14, 1888, and the Rev. Mr. Colston placed in charge. The present rector is the Rev. William Fitzsimon.

Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.—The cornerstone of this church was laid June, 1895. The edifice cost $7,000. Rev. James Quinn was the first pastor. In July, 1899, the church and rectory were completely destroyed by fire. A year later it was rebuilt, and on September 23, 1900, was solemnly dedicated by the Most Rev. Archbishop Corrigan.

The Tuxedo police force was organized May 1, 1886. John Pederson was captain until 1891, when he was succeeded by Gillmore O. Bush. The residential part of the park is patrolled regularly day and night.


Back to IndexNext