CHAPTER XXX.

William C. Eager

The old forge site and the lands along the rapids up to the line of the Chesekook patent were bought by Daniel Burt in 1760, and soon after he built a flouring mill and a saw mill, both of which were washed away by the breaking away of the dam during a very unusually heavy shower of rain. The present flouring mill is situated near the site of the earlier one. A saw mill was built in 1812, by John Bradner and Brower Robinson, and rebuilt by Thomas Burt, who operated it and a turning shop for about twenty years. The dam has been washed away and the mill is in ruins. A wool carding factory was built by Nathaniel Jones about 1810. and subsequently enlarged for the manufacture of broadcloths by Joseph Brooks, but is not now in operation. James, the son of Daniel Burt, about 1812 settled three of his sons at Bellvale in the milling and mercantile business. They established shops for a blacksmith, carpenter, wagon-maker, cooper, tailor, shoemaker and the manufacture of red earthen pottery. Benjamin Bradner had a tannery before 1812 where the ruins of the old saw mill are situated. The vats were located where is now the old raceway, and the bark was ground in a circular curb upon the flat rock back of the saw mill rolling a heavy mill-stone over the bark, as at one time apples were reduced to pumice by cider makers.

About 1808 the Bellvale and Monroe turnpike was built to make a shorter route to the markets along the Ramapo for the produce of the farmers of Warwick. It was nine miles long and shortened the distance previously traveled by about one-half.

The road was maintained above fifty years and the charter then surrendered to the State, and the road divided into districts—a fund on hand of about $500 was spent in putting the road in order before the charter was surrendered. The stockholders never received any money for their investment. The massive stone bridge over the channel at Bellvale was built in 1832, to take the place of the old wooden one then unsafe for travel. Recently the old bridge site, as well as nearly all the land along the Longhouse Creek for four or five miles, has passed into the hands of one owner, also all the mills and about 3,000 acres of land lying along the stream. The probable development of the water power for electrical purposes and an early completion of the State road from Pine Island to Tuxedo promises a brighter future. Tradition accounts for the name of the stream from the long house that stood on its bank near the residence of the late C. R. Cline. The Indians that settled there built their houses end to end and, as their families became more numerous, a long house was built instead of the isolated circular wigwams of many tribes. That there was an Indian settlement at this place is highly probable from the nearby streams for fishing, swamp and mountain for hunting, and the fertile prairie-like land for their crops of corn and tobacco. In the part where the land has been cultivated plenty of flint arrow heads and large chips of flint with sharp edges have been found. The flint chips were used by the squaws in cultivating corn and tobacco.

In 1841, in digging a cellar for an addition to the house, the skeleton of an Indian of immense size was found, if the writer mistakes not, in a sitting posture. This may have been only one of a great many buried there and might have been their chief.

Out of a population of only about 330, at the time of the Civil War, forty-two were enrolled from Bellvale and the immediate vicinity. In 1907 the population of the place is estimated at about 300.

Edenville.

Edenville, known in the early annals of local history as Postville, in honor of Colonel Jacobus Post, one of its pioneer settlers, enjoys a picturesque location three miles west of Warwick, with which place it is closely connected in its postal facilities and commercial interests.

Doubtless its early progenitors, because of the establishment of this little hamlet within a radius of great agricultural fertility, predicted its growth to be vastly greater than its actual development proved, but as one by one the railroads on either side were established Edenville was left to its primitive means of transportation.

Nearly north of the village of about one hundred inhabitants are located the isolated peaks of Mts. Adam and Eve, interest in the mineral deposits of which has increased with time. In the decades past, specimens of granite, syenite, granular quartz, hornblende, arsenical iron, and white limestone were gathered by the seeker of mineralogical specimens. Later the quarrying of granite was undertaken by the Orange County Granite Company and the Empire State Granite Company. The quality of the granite found within the mountain confines is of a high order, but the difficulty of transportation forbids an extensive output.

J. E. Sanford

The oldest home of Postville, known as the "Shingle House," was built in 1734, and remained an object of much interest to visitors of the village until destroyed by fire in the winter of 1907.

This was the home of Col. Jacobus Post and is said to have been a haven for travelers on their early tours across the Netherland country.

The Edenville Methodist Church was organized on September 11th, 1822.

The school district known as Purling Brook district was organized in 1813.

Florida.

Probably no village of our county presents so great a contrast in its local interests of to-day as compared with the early incentives of its development, as does Florida, or Floridus, land of the red flowers, situated six miles south of Goshen, six miles north of Warwick, which points are connected by a recently constructed State road.

In records relating to the early settlement of the village in the latter part of the eighteenth century we find the names of Seward, Armstrong, Wisner, Carr, Poppino, Randall, Thompson and Roe as actively identified with its early interests.

Although in the heart of a prolific agricultural section, recently developed to its full extent, political and scholastic ambition actuated the impulses of many of its earlier settlers, still to the steadfast, sterling qualities of those engaged in agricultural pursuits must be attributed its constant development.

During the governorship of George Clinton, 1777-1795, Florida was represented in the Legislature, and was prominent in the Revolutionary struggle. Later, in the political arena, we recall the career of William H. Seward, elected as state senator in 1831, Governor in 1838, United States Senator in 1849, and appointed Secretary of State in 1861.

Florida to-day shows marked changes in its church history. The Methodist Church was established in 1868. As early as 1742 a Presbyterian Church was organized. In 1837 the church edifice was consumed by fire. The present structure was erected in June, 1838. In 1839 a second Presbyterian Church was founded, but in 1878, the two churches were united. Two flourishing church organizations of the Catholic faith exist, St. Edwards and the St. Joseph's Polish Catholic Church.

Educational matters early claimed the attention of the settlers of Florida, Samuel S. Seward, De Witt C. Jayne, Robert Armstrong and Jonas Seely serving respectively as school commissioners from 1813 to 1843. Judge Samuel S. Seward founded the S. S. Seward Institute in 1848 as a classical school, endowing it with the sum of $20,000. This school was held in the old Randolph hotel. After Judge Seward's death, a young ladies' seminary was established, opposite the original school building, and for years Florida was noted for its superior boarding school.

With the improved common school advantages of later years came the desire of the citizens to widen the influence of the school as originally designed, and accordingly a new edifice was erected bearing the name of S. S. Seward Institute, receiving the benefit of the reserve fund, and also the State appropriation for high schools, thus fulfilling in a greater sense the beneficent plans of the original founder.

A prominent factor in agricultural development has been the influx of many Poles and Germans of thrifty type, whose business, at first confined to onion and celery growth, is gradually reaching out to other industries and professions. Under their management largely the value of the black dirt land during the past thirty years has increased from $10 to $200 per acre.

Within the last year brick making has been revived. In July, 1905, the Florida Civic Improvement Club was organized.

A sketch of Florida would hardly be complete, without mention of Glenmere, a beautiful sheet of water, furnishing the village water supply, located one mile east of the village.

From the date of its early christening as Thompson's Pond, its clear waters have furnished pleasure to the boatman and fisherman.

CHURCHES.

The Reformed Church of Warwickwas organized by a committee of the Classis of Paramus in 1804, and was duly incorporated on March 18, 1807, under the corporate name and title of "The Consistory of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church and Congregation of Warwick." It was the successor of the Presbyterian Church and occupies the same site of the earlier society. In 1904 it celebrated its centennial.

During Mr. Crispell's ministry the present stone church was built and furnished at a cost of about $40,000. The new edifice was begun in 1889, and dedicated June 26, 1890.

Stott Mills.

Union African Methodist Episcopal Church.—This organization was begun in the winter of 1906. The church was incorporated under the above name on March 12, 1906. Rev. Joseph Stiles was the first pastor. During the year that Rev. Stiles had charge a new church was built on McEwan street at a cost of something like $2,000.

The Roman Catholic Church of St. Stephen.—In Shea's history we read, Father Steinmeyer, S. J., better known as Father Farmer, crossed over from his New Jersey missions into Orange County and baptized seven near Warwick. After his death, other priests may have visited the neighborhood, but there is no record of the fact.

In 1849, Father Ward was appointed resident pastor at Goshen, with, charge of all Orange County, except the strip along the Hudson. The building formerly occupied by the Methodist church in Church street was purchased by the denomination, but was not taken possession of until 1867.

In June, 1887, the Presbyterian church at Florida was purchased.

In May, 1887, the cemetery ground was purchased at Warwick for $350, about an acre and a half.

Father Minogue erected the present church on South street in the year 1903, at a cost of $16,000.

The Calvary Baptist Church of Warwick.—This church was formed on the 4th of January, 1866. Very soon after its organization, measures were taken to erect a house of worship. A lot was purchased on West street, in the village of Warwick, in 1867, and the edifice was dedicated August 26, 1868. The parsonage was built the following year—1869. Total expenditure about $20,000. In 1902 the house of worship was remodeled and a large addition made to the eastern side for the use of the Sunday school. Total expenditure, including new seats and pipe organ, about $10,000. Society incorporated February, 1872.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Warwick.—The list of pastors since 1880 is as follows: William Colden, 1880-1882; Cyrus W. McPherson, 1883-1884; E. S. Bishop, 1885-1887; Philip M. Waters, 1888-1889; Arthur Thompson, 1800-1894; Frank Heale, 1895-1896; Edwin H. Carr, 1897-1899; Elmer E. Count, 1900-1902; David McCartney, 1903-1904; J. C. Codington, 1905-1906; E. Stirling Potter, 1907.

In 1891, $5,500 was expended on improving church and parsonage. In 1906, $7,250 additional was expended, increasing the value of the property to nearly $13,000. The present membership is 240, an increase of 102.

The Old School Baptist Church in Warwick.—The principal historical events since 1880, when a history of the church was published in Ruttenber's history of the county, are as follows: Elder James Benedict resigned his charge on June 29, 1786, instead of 1777, as stated in the published history. A centennial celebration of the organization of the church was held on October 5, 1865. Elder Lebbeus Lathrop preached the first sermon in the meeting house still standing on May 19, 1811. The burying ground belonging to the church and still in use was started in 1795, and lies nearly opposite the former burying ground, on the road from Warwick to Bellvale.

Christ Church (Episcopal).—The first attempt to start an Episcopal church in Warwick was in 1804, but the plan was not consummated. In 1854 another effort was made, and services were held in the former Methodist Episcopal church until 1859, under the Rev. W. H. Carter, when again the project was abandoned.

In 1862 the Rev. George Zabriskie Gray, then in deacon's orders, held services in Warwick for about six months, when he was called to another charge.

In 1864 Rev. N. F. Ludlum was called, and a certificate of incorporation of the parish was executed under the name of Christ Church, Warwick, N. Y. In 1865 a building committee was appointed, composed of Grinnell Burt, John Cowdrey and J. Mason McJimsey. The building was opened for divine worship the ensuing year, 1866.

The Y. M. C. A. of Warwick.—This organization was begun in 1879, incorporated in 1885, and in 1907 owns a building and lot on Main street, with a new gymnasium, costing about $6,000, entirely free of debt. It also owns a library of over 1,200 volumes, part donated and part purchased by the association. The library is registered at Albany, and is the only free public library in the village.

BURIAL PLACES.

For over a century the tract of land lying to the north of the Reformed church was used as a burying ground. The deeds of conveyance to the then trustees of the Presbyterian church, the predecessor of the Reformed church—Francis Baird, John Simson and George Nance, dated January 11, and April 23, 1793—recite that in still earlier conveyances from William Wickham and John Morin Scott, one of which was dated March 14, 1770, to William Wisner, of forty-five acres of land, "one acre thereof was excepted and reserved there-out for a burial ground for the use and benefit of the Presbyterian Church of Warwick." In 1889, at the time when the new stone church was built, there had been no interments here for perhaps twenty years, and accordingly a consent was obtained from at least three-fourths of the congregations of the Presbyterian and Reformed Dutch Churches for the removal of all the remains interred therein, as required by law. The Reformed Church purchased a lot in the Warwick Cemetery and received deed from the latter, dated June 15, 1889, to which lot the remains of all those interred in the church burying ground were removed, and also the headstones marking the graves. There are 116 of these stones; doubtless there were many buried there without any stones to mark them, and there were other burials there which were afterwards removed to family lots in the Warwick Cemetery when the latter was dedicated in 1867. The oldest stone is one erected to the memory of Anna, the wife of William Eagles, who departed this life July 8, 1771. There are interred there Revolutionary soldiers, members of consistory and many prominent citizens. To William Culver, a donor to the church, was erected by the church a monument, bearing this inscription: "Sacred to the memory of William Culver, who departed this life, at South Hampton, Long Island, October 27, 1822, aged 37 years, in hope of a blessed immortality."

William B. Sayer

The last interment of which there is a gravestone is that of Daniel Sinsabaugh, who died November 19, 1869, aged thirty-eight years. It is believed that there were later interments than this, but if so there are no stones marking the graves.

It is said that Jacob Gaul, a colored man, the sexton of the church for over twenty years, was one of the last burials in the old church graveyard.

The Old School Baptist burying ground, situated at the corner of Galloway road and Lake street, was first used for burial purposes in about 1774, when the meeting house was built there.

This plot of land was given to the Baptist Church by Elder James Benedict, by deed dated September 12, 1791. The trustees of the said church at that time were James Burt, John Morris Foght and John Sutton; consideration mentioned in deed, forty shillings current money; contains seventy-nine perches of land.

Elder James Benedict died September 9, 1792, aged seventy-two years, six months, eighteen days, and was buried in this plot of ground, but no stone marks the spot. This plot was used as a burial ground until 1795.

SCHOOLS.

The Warwick Institute continued as an academy until October 1, 1868, when the entire property was transferred to the board of education of Union Free School District No. 12. The district at that time consisted of the school districts Nos. 11 and 12. Since 1880 two other districts have been annexed, Nos. 10 and 23.

In 1893 the board of education built a new brick school house, in the place of the old wooden structure and upon the same site, at a total cost of $23,000. Again in 1901, another brick building was built, at a cost of about $16,000, to take care of the increased demands for more school facilities. The latter building was erected upon a new site and is called the High School.

According to the last census (1906) there are 512 children of school age in the district; the actual number enrolled is 450.

MISCELLANEOUS.

Lehigh & Hudson River Railway Company.—This company was first organized under the name of the Warwick Valley Railroad Company, April 20, 1859, for the purpose of building a road from the village of Warwick to the line of the New York & Erie Railroad, at or near the village of Chester.

May, 1879, steps were taken to extend this road to McAfee, Sussex County, and in December, 1880, the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway Company was formed for the purpose of extending it to Belvedere, N. J., on the Delaware River, and connecting with the Pennsylvania Railroad at that point. The line was built and the road opened for business through to Belvedere in August, 1882.

In 1889 an extension was built from a point near Greycourt, N. Y., to Maybrook, N. Y., connecting at that place with the Poughkeepsie Bridge Road. Arrangements were made to use the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad to Phillipsburgh, N. J. A bridge was built across the Delaware River at that point to Easton, making a continuous line from Easton. Pa., to Maybrook, N. Y.

George W. Sanford

The First National Bank of Warwick.—This bank was organized at a meeting of citizens held in January, 1864, at the Warwick Valley House. After a canvass for subscriptions to its stock, which was to be $75,000, on January 21, 1864, its articles of association were adopted. On January 28, the first board of directors was chosen. On January 29, John L. Welling was chosen president, and on February 6, John Cowdrey was chosen vice-president. On March 11 it was voted to increase its capital stock by $25,000, making it $100,000 as it stands to-day. At the same date Grinnell Burt was sent to Washington to have this bank made a depository for the internal revenue of this Congressional District. The bank commenced business April 1, 1864.

The Warwick Savings Bankwas the first one incorporated under the general law of 1875. It commenced business January 3, 1876. James H. Holly has been president since January 7, 1879. Thomas Burt has served as secretary and treasurer from the organization to the present time, and has had the general care and management. There has been a steady increase in deposits year by year, and there is now (July 1, 1907) on deposit $1,264,636.24 belonging to 3,483 depositors, and a surplus of $40,683.97.

The Warwick Cemetery Associationwas incorporated in 1865. The land purchased, graded, surveyed and plotted in 1866, was dedicated July 2, 1867, Leonard Cox delivering an appropriate poetical address, and Rev. Cyrus G. Van Derveer the oration on that occasion. The twenty-seven acres of ground have a pleasing elevated contour, which were plotted by Mr. B. F. Hatheway, of Stamford, Conn.

The lands cost about $7,000 and improvements about $5,000. The funds were provided by citizens' notes of $100 and $200, which were canceled by deeds for lots to the makers of notes. The purchase of a cottage, building a vault and entrance gates and bringing in the public water for fountains were accomplished in the few following years and the Association was free from debt, and in 1881 had $2,000 invested. In 1907 its investments in bonds and mortgages and Government bonds are over $30,000.

George W. Sanford was president from its organization until his death in 1900—for thirty-five years. He was succeeded by Sidney H. Sanford and the latter by Nicholas L. Furman.

Nearly all lot enclosures have been removed, graves leveled and a fine sward maintained and treated as a lawn, without expense to the lot owners. Its picturesque appearance, fine monuments and well kept grounds command the admiration of its visitors.

Water-Works.—The village was first supplied with water in 1872. The brook running north through the Thomas Welling and P. E. Sanford farms to the Wawayanda creek furnishes the supply, and is called Mistucky. This name is an Indian one, from an Indian village located near the reservoirs, originally called Miskoutucky, signifying red hills or plains.

In 1871 preparations were made for the building of a dam of 131 feet across this brook, which when completed made a reservoir of 1 90/100 acres on the Welling farm and 1 50/100 acres on the Sanford farm, both of which pieces of land were acquired by the village. Upon the completion of the work and the introduction of water in the village, a celebration took place in honor of the event in January, 1872.

This reservoir is situated one and a half miles south from the center of the village and covers over three acres of land, with a capacity of eight million gallons of water. The works were constructed at a cost of $25,000.

In 1890 the village had outgrown the old supply and steps were taken to increase the same. Accordingly a second reservoir was constructed about a quarter of a mile to the south of the first dam, with a capacity of thirty million gallons.

In 1903 the sum of $23,000 was appropriated for the enlargement of water mains and the construction of new ones.

Fire Department.—The fire department consists of two hose companies—Excelsior No. 1 and Raymond Hose Company, and the Goodwill Hook and Ladder Company. The fire council consists of the chief engineer and two warders elected from each of the companies. Inspection day is held each year in the month of September, at which time the rooms and apparatus of the various companies are inspected by the president and trustees of the village, and a parade of the whole department takes place.

Grand Army of the Republic.—A post of the Grand Army of the Republic was organized at Warwick on November 16, 1885, with thirty-three charter members. James W. Mullery was commander, and the post was named for Michael Mullery, a brother of the commander, who served in a New Jersey regiment. The number of the post is 575.

Some years after its organization the name was changed to John J. Wheeler Post, in honor of Colonel John J. Wheeler, a native of the town of Warwick, who served with honor and distinction in the 56th New York Regiment.

Wm. B. Sayer House

The name Wawayanda is a corruption of the general salutation between white settlers and Indians in pioneer times. This we take to be illustrated by the example given in Gabriel Thomas' "East and West Jersey," published in 1698. He evidently was familiar with the Indian language and lived in Philadelphia where he was a frequent participant in the conversations when a white man and an Indian met. He reports it as follows: "When meeting, the white man would say in the Indian language 'Hitah takoman?' (Whence comest thou?) The Indian would reply, 'Andagowa a nee weekin' (over yonder). Then the white man, 'Tony andagowa a kee weekin?' (Where yonder?) The broad Indian accent coupled with the recurrence of the words 'over yonder' was very probably the true derivation of the word 'Wawayanda.'"

There is not much doubt that the town of Wawayanda was formed out of Minisink for political reasons. In 1849 the board of supervisors in Orange County was Whig by a considerable majority. The town of Minisink was and had been considered Democratic for a long time. Nevertheless that year Daniel Fullerton, a Whig, was elected Supervisor of Minisink. By taking off the northern part of Minisink the Whigs hoped to be able to elect the officials in the new town universally. Dr. D. C. Hallock made a survey for it. The signers of the petition were mostly Whigs. November 27th, Mr. Fullerton made the motion in the board of supervisors for the division of the town and the creation of the new town to be called Wawayanda. The motion carried by a strict party vote of ten Whigs for, to five Democrats against it. The name was selected from the old Wawayanda patent, with out any particular reference to its meaning. The town has ever since been mostly Democratic in its elections. At the first election in the spring of 1850, $200 was ordered raised for roads and bridges.

The population of the town in 1855, the first census taken after it was formed, showed it to contain 2,069 inhabitants. Ten years later it had 1,906, a decrease of 163. In 1905, the last census taken, it had 1,574, a decrease since the first census of 1855 (fifty years) of 495. There were only 34 aliens in the last census.

The assessment of this town in 1865 was 19,677 acres, valued at $706,250. and in 1906, forty-one years later, its assessment was 20,175 acres, valued at $695,060, and in 1907 it was the same. The town expenses in 1907 were $1,067.88, besides $2,250 for highways and $400 for bridges.

THE DROWNED LAND WAR.

A feature of the towns of Minisink and Wawayanda is the Drowned Lands. These comprise the valley of the Wallkill, or, as named by the Indians, the "Twischsawkin," extending from Hamburg, N. J., to Denton in this State. The westerly part of that valley is the part of it in the territory of which we write. When the Wallings, who, so far as we can ascertain were the first permanent settlers at the head and on the west shore of these drowned lands, located here, they found them covered with water the greater part of each year, and of little value except for grazing purposes, and for the wood upon them. Their total acreage was about 40,000 acres, of which 10,000 acres were in New Jersey. From the high grounds of the west shore to the river the distance will average about half a mile. The great Cedar Swamp on the eastern shore of the lands comprised about 15,000 acres. It was covered with water more or less the year round, and, when the ice was strong enough in winter, farmers drove for many miles to it to get a supply of rails and wood. In spring floods the water was often from eight to twenty feet deep over the entire drowned lands. They were the homes of innumerable flocks of wild geese and ducks, and the flocks were often composed of thousands of members. They raised their young by thousands in the great swamps. Fish were also very abundant.

In 1804 the farmers who owned lands along this vast morass, as well as the rich speculators who had bought, for a trifle, huge tracts of it, agitated the plan for a drainage. They got up petitions and appealed to the legislature for help so persistently, that, in 1807, that body passed an act authorizing money to be raised to drain the drowned lands. The act empowered five commissioners to be elected annually in Goshen. They were to assess property owners along the drowned lands for expenses.

A large ditch was dug by them from Turtle Bay (a wide and deep place in the river opposite the present farm of Reeves B. Wickham and the former Van Bomel farm), to the junction of Rutger's Creek with the Wallkill, a distance of about two miles in a direct line up stream. The intention was for this ditch to carry the river's water mainly, especially at high tides. Other work was done, so that in nineteen years it is estimated that $40,000 had been expended. Little good resulted from it, for the ditches rapidly filled with mud. The ruins of this ditch are easily traced at this time.

Gabriel N. Phillips was then the owner of the great woolen factory and an immense dam at what is now called New Hampton, but which was then called Phillipses'.

MISCELLANEOUS.

The Erie Railroad, completed through New Hampton in 1835, caused that village to become a business place. Many farmers who then brought their produce to Goshen for shipment, changed to New Hampton and some large business houses started up. The large manufactories which soon started in Middletown and the completion of railroads from Sussex County, N. J., to New York, drew off trade and New Hampton is to-day of less importance than it was in former days.

Denton, named from the family that founded it, has been subject to much the same influences as New Hampton. It is about three-quarters of a mile southwest of the latter place. Once there were drug stores, hotels and a vigorous church there. Under the local option law there have been no licenses for hotels issued in Wawayanda for the past twenty-five years. The business of Denton has, like other villages, drifted away from it.

Centerville, now called South Centerville, was named from its central location in the old town of Minisink. Its trade has, much like that of other villages in proximity to Middletown, very much lessened of late years.

Slate Hill is one of the very early settled places in this town. It was before the days of post-offices called Brookfield. Some say that this name was adapted from the circumstance of a brook winding around the village.

Ridgeberry, named from the high ridge east of it, famous for berries, was an early settled place and once had two hotels, two stores, two churches and was quite a business place. Owing to the same causes which have taken away the trade of many other villages, Ridgeberry has now only one good store.

The Old School Baptist Church at Slate Hill deserves more than a passing notice. Built over 100 years ago it stands there to-day as it was built, but its congregation has nearly melted away. We give it a more extended notice elsewhere. The Methodists have a chapel in the village and conduct services weekly. The Presbyterians have purchased a site for a church in the village and it is only a question of time when an edifice will be built upon it. Millsburg on Boudinot's Creek, and Gardnersville on Rutger's Creek, are shorn to a great extent of their former glory. The Manning Company has feed and saw mills at the latter place, while in the former place the mills of Frank Mead are its distinguishing features.

The first town meeting held in the town after its organization was at the hotel of D. C. Hallock in Brookfield-Slate Hill in the spring of 1850. This was in the building now occupied by Kinney Skinner as a store. The other hotel, then kept in the place, was on the opposite corner now owned by Dr. F. D. Myers as a private dwelling. That hotel was then kept by William Bell. There was then no fence in the space between the hotels and the square was often the scene of lively scraps in the good old days.

An Indian, Keghgekapowell, one of the granters of the Evans patent under Governor Dongan, was commonly called by the whites "Jo-Gee." After signing away his rights to the lands under that patent he moved to the foot of the hill, about a mile and a half west of what is now Brookfield-Slate Hill, and resided there for some years. The hill in the rear of his wigwam became known as "Jo-Gee" from that circumstance. A spring by his wigwam furnished him water, and an apple tree which he is said to have set there, bore fruit for several generations after his departure. The fruit was of a peculiar variety and excellent. He is reported to have been a good old man and kept up his friendship for the whites until a party of his tribe came on a visit and coaxed him to go away with them, which was the last seen of him in this town.

The manufacture of pot and pearl ashes was an important industry in the early history of the town. Benjamin Smith was engaged in it during and after the Revolution.

Tanneries were once of much importance in the industries of the town. There were at least two in Greenville at one time, one in Minisink, and a large one for those times, in Brookfield-Slate Hill, in the eighteenth century. The one in Slate Hill was where Elijah Cock now has his Creamery and where Samuel Hornbeck resides. The last proprietor of it was Holloway W. Stephens. He was a justice of the peace in 1851.

In those early days it took a full year to tan a cow skin, an art now performed in a few days.

There is not a tannery in existence in this locality now.

Besides tanning, previously mentioned, two other important industries have passed out of existence in these towns—milling and distilling. When the white settlers first invaded this country they did as the Indians did, pounded their corn and grain into flour by means of wooden mortars and stone pestles which the Indians taught them to use; but in a short time grist mills were erected and a little later milling grew to be a great part of the work of part of the population. Large mills were at one time in Gardnersville, Dolsontown, Waterloo Mills, Unionville, Brookfield, and Millsburg. Old millers remembered were: The Gardners, Christian Schultz, Peter Kimber, John Racine, James C. and Adirondam Austin. The course of trade has now caused all the flour to be purchased of western millers, and the old mills are now closed or simply used to grind cow and horse feed. Frank Mead's, at Millsburg, is now the only flouring mill in the town. In those first days whiskey was a common beverage in almost every family, and when visitors came it was considered a breach of hospitality to neglect to set out a glass of it for the guests. It sold then, as we find from old account books, at about seventy-five cents a gallon. Distilleries abounded everywhere. But there came a time when taxes were laid heavily on distillers, and the price of liquor was put up by the action of the taxes. In consequence the distilleries dropped out one by one, until now only one remains in Wawayanda, near Centreville; and one in Minisink, near Johnson's.

WAWAYANDA CHURCHES.

The Baptist church of Brookfield (now Slate Hill) executed a certificate of organization at the house of Lebbeu Lathrop, which, we have been informed, was then in the village, December 15, 1791. Isaac Finch, John Fenton and Benjamin Smith were the trustees. Previous to that date several members had, in July, 1783, stated to the Warwick church, in an application, that they lived west of the Wallkill and desired to be set off as a separate church. August 28, 1783, Elder Benedict, of Warwick, with two brethren named Sillshee, came west of the Wallkill, baptized seven members, and constituted the church. A brother named Clark was ordained the next day to preach for the new church. The meetings of the congregation were held at private houses and in barns to suit convenience until 1792.

In December, 1791. John Hallock, whose lands extended from his residence, a mile south of Ridgeberry, across the flats and to Brookfield, deeded a lot to the church for its use. In 1792 the new meeting house was erected on the lot. In those days the difference between the meaning of church (an organization for religious worship) and the building used for meeting purposes was clearly defined, and the edifice was called a meeting house invariably. The building at first was without a steeple and just as it stands to this day, except it now has a steeple. The steeple was added to it in 1828. The church interior is to-day just as it was first built and should be preserved as an excellent specimen of old-time architecture.

A Congregational church was organized in Ridgeberry in 1792, which held until 1817, when it was changed to Presbyterian. The regular organization of the church dates from November 27, 1805, when a certificate of it was filed at the house of Jonathan Bailey in Ridgeberry.

The next oldest church organization to Ridgeberry was the Presbyterian as Centerville. This was incorporated April 5, 1827. The church edifice was built and dedicated in 1829.

The Presbyterian church of Denton was organized and dedicated in 1839.

The Methodist Episcopal church, at what is now called South Centerville, was incorporated September 8, 1873.

The town of Woodbury is located in the southeast section of Orange County. Bounded on the north by the towns of Blooming Grove and Cornwall, on the east by the town of Highland, on the south by Rockland County and the town of Tuxedo, while the town of Monroe forms its western boundary. It has an area of 23,839 acres, and the title to the soil is mainly derived through the Chesekook patent. The assessed valuation of real estate in the town in 1907 was $802,371.

Topography.—A striking feature of the town is the continuous valley extending from the northern to the southern boundary which divides the town into nearly equal parts, and which has been made the line of the Newburgh short-cut branch of the Erie railroad, and of the new State road. Through this valley flows Woodbury Creek northward, uniting in the town of Cornwall with Moodna Creek. Not far south of the sources of Woodbury Creek are the headwaters of the Ramapo, which flows southward through the town of Tuxedo. The summit between these two valleys is low, and the rivulets of the two streams flowing in opposite directions are found very near to each other. The eastern portion of the town is drained by Popolopen Creek in the town of Highlands. Numerous ponds of surpassing beauty are within the town limits, of which Cromwell, Forest and Cranberry Lakes are the largest.

The Schunnemunk Mountains, appropriately described as the "high hills to the west of the Highlands," extend along the northwestern boundary of the town and are divided longitudinally by the boundary line of Blooming Grove and Woodbury. This was the original dividing line between the Wawayanda and Chesekook patents, and also one of the monuments in the line of the Evans patent. This range has an elevation of from 1,300 to 1,600 feet. Eastward across the valley filling out to a section of the southeast border of the county and forming a portion of the Highlands, is a battlement of mountainous elevations, including Pine Hill, Black Cap, Cranberry Hill, Stockbridge, Stevens, Goshen, Letter-rock and Black Mountains.

EARLY SETTLEMENTS.

The southeastern portion of Orange County was settled mostly from the Eastern States and Long Island. The families were generally of English ancestry. All accounts of Revolutionary times indicate a population of considerable numbers in this territory. The Chesekook patent was granted in 1702, and there was no settlement for some years following that date. The Smiths were in this region as early as 1727, and the name Smith's Clove near the present village of Highland Mills appears in the town records of Cornwall of 1765. The records of Cornwall having been preserved, the following names are taken from them as having belonged to what is now the territory of Woodbury. Solomon Cromwell and Jonathan Hallock were among the earliest settlers. John Earle in 1765 was a chosen fence-viewer for Woodbury Clove. He lived near Highland Mills. His sons were Peter, John and Solomon. Isaac and John Lamoreux are both mentioned in Cornwall records before the Revolution. Thomas Smith was overseer of highways in 1765. William Thorn was a justice of the peace in 1770 and lived at Highland Mills. Captain Austin Smith was chosen assessor in 1775. Nicholas Townsend came from Long Island previous to the Revolution. Tobias Weygant was a town officer of Monroe at the first town meeting in 1799. Jonathan Taylor, one of the first school commissioners, lived near Highland Mills, and Linus Rider lived on the "Ridge" west of the same hamlet. Patrick Ford lived near Woodbury Falls. His son, David Ford, was the father of ten children, of whom Charles T. was the eldest. Further reference to the early settlement of this locality is made in the historical sketch of the old town of Monroe.

ORGANIZATION.

In the year 1863 a movement was set on foot to divide the town of Monroe into three towns. A petition was sent to the board of supervisors, which was granted at its usual meeting. The names of the new towns were respectively Monroe, Highland and Southfield. Monroe held its town meeting March 22, 1864, electing Chauncey B. Knight, supervisor. Highland did likewise, choosing its old favorite, Morgan Shuit. The town of Southfield organized in the same manner, elected Josiah Patterson, supervisor. This triple division was at length disapproved, and in 1865 the Legislature was asked to overrule the action of the board and reorganize the old town of Monroe. This movement was successful.

December 19, 1889, the board of supervisors, upon representation of the diverse interests of different parts of the town, resolved to redivide the same into three parts. The three new towns erected were named respectively, Monroe, Woodbury and Tuxedo. The lines were run so as to give Monroe 12,101 acres, Woodbury 23,839 acres and Tuxedo 27,839 acres. It was further resolved that the division of the town should be made on the old lines, but that the names Woodbury and Tuxedo should be substituted for Highland and Southfield. The reason advanced for this re-division was that the town was too large and its interests too diverse for harmonious government. In January, 1890, John A. Patterson represented the newly created town of Woodbury in the board of supervisors. James Seaman was the second supervisor from this town, Alexander Thompson the third, and William E. Ferguson, who was elected November, 1907, the fourth. The town hall is located at Highland Mills, where the present town clerk, B. S. Pembleton, resides. The assessors in 1907 are Charles Jones and William Wilson, of Highland Mills, and Richard Bullwinkle, of Central Valley. The highway commissioners are E. C. Cunningham, of Central Valley, N. B. Hunter, of Highland Mills, and John H. Hunter, of Woodbury Falls. The justices of the peace are W. M. Gildersleeve and John Rodgers, of Central Valley, Amos W. Sutherland, of Highland Mills, and Charles E. Hand, of Mountainville. The town is divided into four school districts, of which the Free School at Central Valley is the most important. A new school building is in course of construction at Highland Mills at a cost of $18,000. Places of worship include the Friends' churches at Woodbury Falls and Highland Mills, a Methodist Episcopal church at Highland Mills and another of the same denomination at Central Valley. A Roman Catholic church is now being erected midway between Central Valley and Highland Mills. The Society of Friends had a meeting house in Cornwall, built before 1788, and it was the only meeting house or church in that town until 1825. The meeting house at Smith's Clove was built in 1799. After the separation of the society in 1828, a meeting house one and a half miles easterly of Highland Mills was built. The first Methodist Episcopal church in the old town of Monroe was organized and duly incorporated May 2, 1829, and a church edifice soon afterward erected at Highland Mills.


Back to IndexNext