Guy Miller.
The lay of the land in Orange County, hills and valleys, with the farms divided in such a manner that each one has a proportion of high uplands, as well as low meadows, enables the breeder to tide over wet as well as dry seasons.
If the season is wet for the low meadows, the uplands make luxuriant growth, and in a season of drought the lowland pastures and meadows can be depended upon for a good supply. The writer has farmed forty-two years at his home farm and there has never been a season when grass has really failed for animals at pasture or for hay making.
In seeding land in Orange County, timothy, red-top and the clovers have been the principal seeds used in the past. In time these run out, giving way to grasses that appear natural to this section, viz., June grass, white clover and Seneca grass. These varieties start growing early and continue late, thus making the pasturing season a long one. Cut for hay, the quantity of the latter is not equal to that first mentioned, yet the quality is considered far superior.
Orange County being well watered in addition to its abundant supply of the best natural grasses, makes it an ideal horse-breeding section.
Imported Messenger appears to have been the fountain-head of the highest type of the American light harness horse.
Imp. Messenger was in service at Goshen in 1801. Jonas Seely, Sr., of Oxford, had a large strong mare of great endurance known as Black Jin, and this mare bred to Imp. Messenger produced Silver Tail.
In 1814, the son of Imp. Messenger, known as Hambletonian, made the season in Goshen, yet on certain days of each week was taken to Florida for service. Silver Tail was bred to Hambletonian and produced One Eye, the latter a grand animal and fast trotter for her day.
When Imp. Belfounder was in service at Washingtonville, the season of 1832, Josiah Jackson, of Oxford, owned One Eye, and bred her to that horse, producing a mare that was a high-class trotter, and is known as the Charles Kent mare.
The Charles Kent mare had passed through the hands of several owners to Jonas Seely, of Sugar Loaf. On June 5, 1848, he bred her to Abdallah and on May 5, 1849, a bay colt with a small star and white hind ankles, was born.
In the fall of that year the Charles Kent mare and her foal were purchased by Wm. M. Rysdyk, a farmer of Chester.
Mr. Rysdyk was born on a farm between Florida and Goshen. He frequently saw the son of Imp. Messenger (known later as Bishop's Hambletonian), pass his home on trips between the above villages, and, although very young, was so impressed by the rare qualities of the horse, that he chose his name for his own colt, now known as the "great progenitor of trotters," Rysdyk's Hambletonian.
It will be observed that this colt was by Abdallah, a grandson of Imp. Messenger. His grandam was by Bishop's Hambletonian, a son of Imp. Messenger and his great grandam a daughter of Imp. Messenger. The blood of this imported horse had given great results in the localities where he had been in service, and the same was true relative to his descendants, particularly so in the case of his son, Bishop's Hambletonian and his grandson, Abdallah.
Imp. Belfounder's individuality, his beautiful trotting action and strong-inclination to stick to that gait, commanded the admiration of horse lovers. His daughter, the Chas. Kent mare, produced Hambletonian, a daughter of his son, King's Belfounder, produced the race winning trotter Sir Walter, record 2.27, also by Abdallah. Another daughter produced to Cassius M. Clay, Jr., Harry Clay, record 2.29. the greatest of the Clay family as a brood mare sire.
Rysdyk's Hambletonian carried three crosses of Imp. Messenger blood, concentrated in the first four generations. It was this unparalleled wealth of Messenger blood, his rare temperament and individuality, and the fact that Mr. Rysdyk had driven him, the third time harnessed to a sulky, a mile in 2.48, on the Union Course, Long Island, the fall he was three years old, that gave his owner unbounded confidence in the colt's future. This, the breeding public must have shared, as at four years of age he served one hundred and one mares, producing seventy-eight colts at $25.00 each, thus earning for his owner $1,950.
In the late fall of that year two Virginia gentlemen, looking for a stock horse, visited Mr. Rysdyk's place, and after examining Hambletonian, stood ready to buy him at $10,000, yet Mr. Rysdyk would not sell.
How well this confidence in the horse's value was borne out in after years, for as soon as Hambletonian's colts had become two and three years old and were placed on exhibition at the fairs, their high quality, fine general characteristics, superb trotting action and being almost uniform in rich bay colors, won them nearly all the prizes.
At the Orange County Fair, Fall of 1853.
In Show Class.
At the Orange County Fair, September 21st, 22nd, 1858.
In Show Class for Aged Stallions.
In the Speed Classes for 4 Yr. Old Mares.
Best 5 Yr. Olds.
Best 3 Yr. Old Stallion.
Best 4 Yr. Old Stallion.
Best 5 Yr. Old Stallion.
Stallions Free for All.
Mares Free for All.
The above summaries show that in every speed class for colts, the get of Hambletonian were the winners and one of the very first of that horse's get, Edsall's Hambletonian (Alexander's Abdallah) in stallion class for show, was awarded first prize.
It is of interest to note that in the class for mares of all ages, Mary Hoyt's record of 2.36-1/2 was the first record performance better than 2.40 on the Goshen track and she was in the hands of the best horseman of his time, J. W. Hoyt. This performance shows the real value of the colt records, they having no track education and no modern appliances such as boots, etc.
Mr. Joseph Hetzel, a farmer near Florida, related to the writer years later, that he had no idea of competing in the speed class with his colt Hambletonian 2nd (Volunteer), and so informed inquirers at Goshen, yet when it was confided to him that it had been said "he dare not," "his Dutch was aroused," he borrowed a skeleton wagon and harness and at his request the judges permitted him to start behind the other entries. Mr. Hetzel made no attempt for the lead until passing the stand the second time when he gave his colt his head, soon obtaining a commanding lead and finishing more than seven seconds ahead of his nearest competitor. Such an ovation as this church deacon and his colt received from an enthusiastic and admiring assemblage is seldom witnessed.
Mr. Hetzel sold his colt soon after to Sheriff Underhill, of Brooklyn, for $2,500. The writer sold his colt, the afternoon of his winning performance at a handsome price. Lady Howard passed to Governor Amsa Sprague, of Rhode Island. In fact, everyone of these colts by Hambletonian was soon sold at good prices, yet none were from trotting-bred mares and but one (Alexander's Abdallah) from a fast trotting mare.
Hambletonian 10.
It is particularly interesting to note the summary of the trotting stallions, as American Star and Harry Clay produced the dams of the record breakers of later years.
As illustrative of Hambletonian's great worth (earning capacity), the writer will mention an over-night visit at Mr. Rysdyk's home as early as 1865, the latter part of June. The next morning Mr. Rysdyk drove home behind Lady McClellan to a farm that he had recently purchased for the overflow of stock from his home farm. The new purchase was made from an up-to-date painstaking man, and good buildings and fencings, also fertile fields were in evidence; brood mares and foals and young stock were distributed about in the pastures. Mr. Rysdyk's son, William, had already commenced the hay making of the season's crop. Starting on the drive homeward Mr. Rysdyk inquired, "How do you like the Seely farm, my new purchase?" The writer could only reply in laudatory terms. "Well," said Mr. Rysdyk, "That farm cost me nearly twenty-two thousand dollars and Hambletonian earned the purchase price in three months." The record on file in the county clerk's office in Goshen, gives the seller as Charles B. Seely to Wm. M. Rysdyk. The deed calls for 218 98/100 acres, consideration $21,048, dated April 1, 1865. No world's records had been won by the get of Hambletonian at this time.
George Wilkes, under the name of Robert Eillingham, started in his first race on Long Island, August 1, 1861. He made a record of 2.22 at Providence in a race that he won October 18, 1868, making him the champion trotting stallion of the world. Jay Gould reduced this world's champion stallion record at Buffalo August 7, 1872, to 2.21-1/2. Dexter began trotting May 4, 1864 and at Buffalo, N. Y., on August 14, 1867, became the world's champion by trotting to a record of 2.17-1/4. George Wilkes, Jay Gould and Dexter were sons of Hambletonian, the last two from daughters of American Star.
Added to the marvelous performances of Hambletonian's immediate progeny, those of his sons began to come forward. The daughter of Edsall's Hambletonian (Alexander's Abdallah) Goldsmith Maid, began trotting September 7, 1865, at Goshen, N. Y., and at Mystic Park, Boston, September 2, 1874, reduced the world's record to 2.14.
St. Julian by Volunteer made a world's record of 2.11-1/4 at Hartford, Conn.
These performers attracted great attention and made a demand for the products of the breeding farms at remunerative prices, stock being purchased and taken to almost every section of the United States.
Therow Felter was keeping a summer resort at Greenwood Lake and bred a brown mare to Hambletonian April 22, 1855, the product being George Wilkes, who after his career on the turf, was placed in the stud in Kentucky.
Charles Backman established a breeding farm at Stony Ford about 1865. At this time the blood of American Star and Cassius M. Clay, Jr., particularly that of his son, Harry Clay, was very popular and Mr. Backman stocked his farm with many mares by these great sires. He sold to the Hon. Chas. Stanford, of California, Electioneer, a son of Hambletonian, whose dam was Green Mountain Maid, by Harry Clay; also a small band of brood mares. George Wilkes and Electioneer became great sires and in considering the relative merits of the two families, it is a debatable question which should be placed first. Mr. Backman's farm, Stony Ford, in the matter of brood acres and splendid equipment was unrivaled. The farm turned out race winning and record-breaking youngsters, splendid roadsters, horses celebrated as sires, also brood mares of a high order. Many of the first men of the country, including General U. S. Grant, enjoyed Mr. Backman's hospitality. Stony Ford Stock Farm passed to the ownership of Mr. J. Howard Ford, who, with Austral (winner of the blue ribbon in Madison Square Garden), a progenitor of beauty and extreme speed at the head of a band of choice brood mares, is breeding colts of rare quality.
Samuel Hill, in this locality, followed by his son, Ed. Hill, bred horses in fashionable lines of blood. Jonas Hawkins began breeding to Hambletonian when he bred the McKinstry mare May 16, 1853, producing Shark, record 2.30-1/2, to saddle 2.27-3/4, a winner at one, two and three miles on Long Island tracks. The McKinstry mare produced by American Star, Clara, and on May 8, 1857, Mr. Hawkins bred Clara to Hambletonian, producing the renowned Dexter, record 2.17-1/4. The breeding was continued by Mr. Hawkins's son, Jonathan, who bred Dictator, a wonderful sire and several sisters, also Kearsarge by Volunteer. This family is truly great judged by the recognized test of greatness, extreme speed and race winning qualities.
Alden Goldsmith's Walnut Grove Farm near Washingtonville, became famous as the home of Volunteer, a horse that attained great prominence in the stud. Mr. Goldsmith, with his sons, James and John, showed rare judgment and skill in the selection and development of great turf performers and as professional drivers the sons were at the very top. During the many years that Alden Goldsmith campaigned a stable of trotters on the Grand Circuit, his horses were the grandest in existence and his success was brilliant. In this vicinity were the Brooks, the Moffatts, the Hulses, the Hallocks, the Thompsons, who bred fine horses and profited thereby.
The Mills family of Bullville had been patrons of American Star and when the superiority of the Hambletonian American Star cross was made evident by the performances of Dexter, they were enabled to breed in this fashionable line. Harrison Mills, from Hambletonian and his American Star mare, Emma Mills, produced Independent and Sweepstakes. The former a fine animal that sired speed. The latter a beautifully shaded bay, individually most perfect in action, really a grand horse. Sweepstakes, considering his opportunities was an excellent sire. James M. Mills bred Chosroes, Imperial and Fisk's Hambletonian, all by Hambletonian, the latter from Lady Irwin by American Star. Fisk's Hambletonian became quite noted as a sire in Michigan.
At Middletown, John E. Wood bred many fine horses, the most prominent being Knickerbocker, son of Hambletonian, and Lady Patchen by George M. PatcheN. J. D. Willis, with Harry Clay, 2.29, at the height of his stud career, other fine stallions, and a band of choice brood mares, bred, developed and trained youngsters evidently with pleasure and satisfaction.
At Florida, Jefferson Post bred Middletown by Hambletonian from a mare whose sire, Vivian Grey, was a grandson of the great American Eclipse. Nearby, Joseph Hetzel bred the great Volunteer and his two full brothers. Nathaniel Roe, also of Florida, bred Florida, son of Hambletonian and a daughter of Volunteer, a most excellent sire. Mr. Roe purchased in Kentucky colts, at least three, by famous sons of George Wilkes, and kept them for service at his farm. William Roe, a son, inherited his father's estate and is following the paternal footsteps in horse-breeding.
About Warwick were the Wellings, the Sanfords, the Wisners, and just over the county line in New Jersey were the De Kays and Givens. All breeders of fine horses. At Bellvale was W. H. Wisner, breeder of Woeful.
The Sayer families at Westtown, bred fine horses, Decater Sayer's farm being the center of attraction when that grand individual and phenomenally gaited horse Harry Clay was broken to harness at four years of age and was owned and kept for public service till sold, to Harry Dater and removed to Long Island, May 8, 1862.
At Monroe works, Mr. Peter Townsend, who with his brothers owned the vast Sterling tract with its two blast furnaces (where the great chain that spanned the Hudson River, during the war of the Revolution, was made at his grandfather's Sterling Iron Works), had near his house a farm, "The Old Fields," which was mainly used to breed horses for the pleasure and use of his family. He first had a daughter of American Eclipse, a daughter of Young Engineer (sire of the dam of Gideon). From the latter he bred a pair by Abdallah, also a pair by Hambletonian. Mr. Townsend purchased of Lieutenant General Manry (while Professor of Tactics at West Point), Saline, a thoroughbred mare brought from the latter's home in Virginia, that, bred to Hambletonian, produced Jas. H. Coleman, quite a trotter for his day; and Lord Sterling, that had the thoroughbred finish yet beautiful trotting action; also Young Selene by Guy Miller, that by Iron Duke produced Monroe, 2.27-1/2. A sister, Miss Monroe, was the dam of Fergus McGregor. Young Selene produced by Volunteer, St. Patrick, 2.14-1/2.
In the early morning shadows of Schunnemunk Mountains is "Glen Lea," the charming home of Mr. William Crawford. Here may be found Alto McKinney, by that great sire of race horses of extreme speed, McKinney, 2.11-1/4, dam Cresida, 2.18-1/4 at three years, by Palo Alto, 2.08-1/4, champion trotting stallion of 1901.
At Turner, Thos. Lewis bred Dandy, a daughter of Young Engineer, to Hambletonian, producing Gideon, that sired the dam of the great performer Nelson, also from Dandy and Iron Duke, Silver Duke, 2.28-1/4.
The late Mr. Pierre Lorillard (the only American who has attained the distinction of winning the classic event of the world, the English Derby, with a horse of his own breeding), was a patron of Hambletonian—the youngsters being raised on one of his Tuxedo farms. R. F. Galloway near Turner was a breeder to Abdallah and Hambletonian. Guy Wilkes cost him $500 at three years, at seven years he dealt this horse to E. W. Teakle, receiving the famous Princess, 2.30 and $3,500. Princess had been bred to Hambletonian and the next spring (1863), gave birth to Happy Medium, 2.32-1/2, that in February of 1871, was sold to Robert Steel of Philadelphia, Pa., for $25,000.
Near Newburgh, Mr. Jas. Hasbrouck bred horses, and on his half-mile track, Judge Fullerton, Mountain Boy, Music and others received their harness education and acquired great speed. Mr. Aymar Van Buren, always a horse lover, procured from Wm. M. Rysdyk, Molly, daughter of Long Island Black Hawk and Betsy by Imp. Belfounder, from Hambletonian and Molly, Mr. Van Buren bred Effie Deans, 2.25-1/2 and Lottie, 2.28, placing Molly in the great brood mare list. This was in the seventies and Mr. Van Buren is still breeding and finding pleasure with his horses. Mr. J. A. P. Ramsdell is breeding The Arab, that retains the beautiful type, great courage and endurance of his desert ancestry.
At Goshen in the early days of trotting horses were J. S. Edsall, owner of the famous Alexander's Abdallah, also breeder of Fleetwing (dam of Stamboul. 2.07-1/2). John Minchen, later owned a stock farm at Stony Ford with Young Woeful and Tom Mare for stud service. This John Minchen farm was later purchased by General Benjamin F. Tracy and called Marshland stud. It was stocked with trotters impotent blood: Advertiser, 2.15, sire of the world's fastest yearling trotter, Adbell, 2.23 and others; Lord of the Manor, by Mambrino King "handsomest horse in the world," and Kiosk, a son of Kremlin, champion trotting stallion of 1892. The brood mares were choice and it was a great loss to Orange County when General Tracy discontinued breeding at this farm.
Mr. Geo. S. Wisner bred Samson and other most excellent horses at his farm. Edmund Seely owned American Star, a horse that by his unique, open, stride, great courage, quality of endurance that served him through great hardship to the end of his days, without blemish, made the breeding on qualities of his progeny a wonderful contribution to our American trotters.
Parkway Farm, made one of the real beauty spots of Goshen by the late owner, Senator McCarty, takes the highest rank as a breeding establishment, with the great Joe Patchen (the iron horse), sire of the wonderful horse, Dan Patch and other performers. The form of Joe Patchen is such that his services are sought from every section in this country.
When Mr. E. H. Harriman paid $41,000 for Stamboul to place at the head of his Arden Farms Breeding establishment at Goshen, he became the owner of a champion, whether on the turf or in the show ring. When Elsie S. by Stamboul (bred by Mr. Harriman) defeated Mr. Marcus Daly's Limerick in the $5,000 match race at Goshen, 1898, the joy of Orange County breeders was complete.
Mr. Harriman's patronage has had a wonderful influence in uplifting and popularizing the sport of competition of the light harness horse in Orange County.
For some seventy-five years past the most important crops produced on the Orange County farm has been, and is to-day, milk. This alone exceeds the combined value of all else the farmer produces. All other crops are gathered once a year only, but a new crop of milk is in evidence every day, Sundays and holidays included. Under existing conditions the producer has no difficulty in disposing of all he can make at a market so close at hand that it can be delivered within an hour from the time it is drawn from the cow. Thus it is a continual source of ready and regular revenue.
Prior to 1842 the total, and for many years later a large majority, of the output was turned into butter right at the farmer's home. As a rule the farmer's wife personally attended to churning, working and packing the butter into the tub, all ready to be sent to market.
Orange County butter was a trademark that achieved a wide reputation as denoting an article of superior quality, and the yellow bills issued by the Bank of Orange County were known far and wide as "butter money."
But the Orange County farmer no longer makes such disposition of his milk. To both himself and his wife, butter-making is a lost art. Besides he is no longer a farmer but a "dairyman"' or "milk producer," for his principal business is to supply the market with milk, What farming he does is merely a side issue.
The beginning of these changed conditions dates back to 1842, when the Erie railroad, then hardly out of its swaddling clothes, carried to New York the first consignment of milk that ever reached that city by way of a transportation line.
In 1842 the city of New York contained, approximately, a population of 315,000 and used about 30,000 gallons (3,000 cans, forty quarts each), of milk daily. A large proportion of this was produced within the city limits, very much (probably a large majority) of which was the output of cows kept in stables connected with and fed on the refuse of distilleries and breweries. Very aptly this was termed "swill milk," for it was all that the name implies. The balance was brought in by wagons from the surrounding farms.
Early in the summer of 1842 Philo Gregorv, a milk producer at Chester, N. Y., was induced to try the experiment of shipping milk to the New York market. At this time the road was in operation as far west as Goshen, with its eastern rail terminus at Piermont, on the Hudson River, twenty-four miles from New York and forty-one miles from Chester. At this point all passengers and freight were transferred and reached the city by boat. There were many doubting Thomases who contended that it was impossible to carry milk this distance and deliver it in good condition. But the experiment was a success from the start, so much so that there was a continual call for more dairies and a gradual increase in the number of shippers. Orange County milk soon gained as favorable a reputation in the New York market as Orange County butter had previously achieved. More or less sour milk was in evidence from time to time, enough at least to give excuse for the aforementioned doubters to exclaim: "I told you so." Comparatively little trouble arose from this source, however, as nearly all shipments were in merchantable condition when received. If otherwise this was not due to the distance hauled, but the lack of proper care.
In the first few shipments wooden churns were used, these being the most convenient vessels at hand. But tin cans soon came into use. These were of five sizes, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty and sixty quarts each. Although milk was shipped twice a day, morning and evening, it was not considered safe to send what was left over from any one milking. For this reason every shipper provided himself with all these sizes as a means of cleaning out as closely as possible. At this time an ice house was an institution unknown to the farm. To the milk producer of to-day an ice house is regarded as almost as much of a necessity as the milk can or the cow. But in 1842 and for some years later, natural facilities for keeping milk from day to day could be found on nearly every farm. Flowing springs, the temperature of which never rose above about fifty degrees, were then plentiful in Orange County, much more common than now. It was some time after Mr. Gregory made his first shipment that farmers learned to use these springs, and discontinue the morning shipment. It was later still when the majority ceased yarding their cows early in the afternoon and shipping this milking the same evening. Since these early days much has been learned about how to keep milk in good condition for a long time. But even now the great possibilities in this direction are not suspected by the average producer.
In 1843 the road was operated as far west as Middletown, in 1846 to Otisville, and in 1848 to Port Jervis. The only portion of the territory thus traversed that was well adapted to the production of milk lay between Otisville and Greenwood (now Arden) a distance of thirty-one miles. The total amount of milk shipped in 1842 averaged about forty-five; in 1843, 275 cans, and in 1844 some 420 cans daily.
The first regular milk train was run on the 3d day of May, 1847. It ran morning and evening, leaving Otisville at 6.30 A. M. and 4.15 P. M., scheduled to reach New York at 11.30 A. M. and 9.15 P. M. Otisville continued to be the western terminus for the run of the milk train until 1868, when it was extended to Port Jervis. Not until 1884 was any attempt made to develop any of the extensive and excellent milk territory lying west of Port Jervis. All efforts in the direction of securing increased supplies were centered on the eastern (now New York) division. Here, by its branches and connecting lines, it made practically every can of milk produced in Orange County available to the New York market. Prior to twenty-five years ago nearly every producer shipped his milk direct to the dealer. While these conditions prevailed the milk manifest at any station where a large amount of milk was loaded contained so many names of shippers and consignees that it resembled the poll list of an election district. At these same stations now, although loading more milk than formerly, it is unusual to find more than two or three shippers. While the list of consignees has not decreased to the same extent, still it is very short as compared with the former period. The one time shippers are now patrons of the local creamery, from one to three of which may be found at every station.
The first butter and cheese factory, or creamery, started in the State of New York was located near what is now the Crystal Run Station of the Ontario and Western Railway. This was about 1856. It was cooperative, owned and operated by the farmers of the neighborhood. The object was to lessen the labor at the household and also make a more uniform quality of butter than was possible when churned at each individual home. The cream was made into butter, the skimmed milk into cheese and the whey mixed with grain turned into pork. Thus nothing was wasted and the venture proved successful. Other similar factories were started in different sections and inside of ten years Orange County was dotted over with such establishments.
Generally they were operated as co-operative concerns, and quite as generally, due to lack of proper management, were unsuccessful. As a consequence they were either abandoned or passed into the possession of private parties and were no longer used exclusively for manufacturing. More money could be realized by shipping milk. Only such as could not be disposed of in this way was turned into butter and cheese.
This Crystal Run factory was the progenitor of the present day shipping stations from which the New York market now receives approximately ninety-eight per cent, of its milk supply and practically all its cream.
Prior to the foundation of the New York milk exchange, in October, 1887, the price paid for milk delivered at these factories, or shipping stations, was determined by the highest market price of butter. Stockholders in the co-operative factory were paid whatever might be earned, but when milk was purchased outright the producer received the price of one pound of butter for every twelve (or 12-1/2 as might be agreed) quarts of milk delivered.
When the milk exchange began to announce prices (which prevail until otherwise announced) the stations accepted these as a basis and bought at a discount that ranged from ten to twenty cents per can of forty quarts. Later these discounts were lowered from time to time and now range from ten cents to nothing.
Nearly all of these stations are now operated by dealers who use them as a source of supply for their city trade, the balance conducted by parties who have no interest in the city business, but supply such dealers as do not care to operate a place in the country.
In the county of Orange are (including its three condenseries) seventy milk shipping stations, every township being represented by from one to twelve. Mount Hope has the one, Warwick the twelve.
In addition are two cheese and one butter and cheese factory, the latter the celebrated Neufchatel cheese factory of William E. Lawrence & Son, at Chester. In 1906 this establishment turned out 7,000 pounds of butter, 600,000 pounds of Neufchatel and 273,000 pounds of square cream cheese.
From January 1st to December 31st, 1907, the daily average output of milk in the county approximated 9,400 cans of forty quarts each. This was disposed of about as follows:
For milk shipped from 1842 to 1854 or 1855 producers received the following prices:
In 1854 or 1855 the Milk Dealers' Union was organized for the avowed purpose of determining future prices. This body proposed to (and did) meet on the tenth day of every month and "make a price" for the preceding month. Thus, the producer did not know how much he would receive for his milk until ten days after it had been shipped, distributed and consumed.
This was so palpably unjust and one-sided that producers were indignant and since then have formed many counter organizations and combinations for the purpose of taking the price-making power out of the hands of dealers. All these were failures.
The present system of fixing prices, in vogue since 1882, is more equitable. It is the producer's own fault that it is not the best that could be devised. The Consolidated Milk Exchange, an incorporated stock company, announces prices in advance of delivery. This is merely an offer to pay a specified price until otherwise announced. This constitutes a legal price, inasmuch as no one is under any obligation to deliver any milk, provided the offer is not satisfactory.
With one added feature it would be a perfect way of satisfactorily settling the matter of price, a problem that has for fifty years puzzled the brains of the wisest milk producers in Orange County. That this feature is lacking, milk producers alone are responsible.
When the milk exchange was incorporated and before organization was completed, producers were invited, urged and pleaded with, both by dealers and the more progressive, level-headed producers, to subscribe for half of the capital stock and thus be entitled to equal representation on the price committee. But this they refused. Had the offer been accepted producers would have a voice in deciding prices, a conceded right which for fifty years they have been striving to secure but voluntarily surrendered, when once within their grasp.
Of all the movements for gaining control of prices, the action of March, 1883, was the most notable. Very few members of the numerous associations organized for this purpose were willing to admit that supply and demand had, or should have, any influence in determining the market price of milk. Nevertheless, the keystone of every effort to advance prices was by curtailing the supply. This was to be accomplished by persuading producers to withdraw part or all of their shipments until dealers were brought to terms.
But it was difficult to find anybody willing to keep his milk home and thereby realize two cents a quart, while his neighbors continued to ship and were paid three cents. For this reason every scheme of this kind was doomed to failure.
Early in March, 1883, the managers of the Milk Producers' Association of Orange County, reinforced by their brethren of Sussex County, N. J., notified the dealers that the market price of milk for that month would be three and one-half cents a quart. This brought about a conference of the opposing forces. Dealers offered three cents for the first and three and one-half cents for the last half of the month. Neither party would recede from its position and both resolved to fight it out on these lines.
Producers proposed to withhold all shipments, commencing about the 15th, until dealers were starved into submission. Experience had shown that something more powerful than moral suasion would be required to induce producers to discontinue shipping.
Hence the leaders in this movement determined to use force where persuasion failed. For this purpose a "spilling committee" was appointed for each station and instructed to be where it could do the most good about the time a milk train was due. The orders were not to allow a can of milk to pass into the possession of the railway company. This was to be done peaceably, if possible—forcibly, if necessary.
Pursuant to these instructions, would-be shippers were halted on the highway and ordered to take their milk back home. Some protested mildly, but finally obeyed orders. Some objected strongly and their milk was poured into the street.
But there were still others who were determined to ship or fight. They gave the "spillers" to understand that they would not tamely submit to highway robbery, that they intended to ship their milk, and that an undertaker would be needed to care for any one who attempted to prevent it.
Many drove to cross-roads between stations where by previous arrangement the train would stop and load the milk. It was useless to appeal to local authorities for protection from the "spillers," as they were either afraid or too indifferent to take action.
It was reported that the Governor had been appealed to, and was about to issue orders to the sheriff of Orange County to quell the rebellion, but the blockade was voluntarily raised after a three-days' struggle.
Shipments of dairy milk in Orange and Sussex Counties fell off about twenty per cent., but creameries shipped more than usual, presumably enough to reduce the net falling off to about fifteen per cent. Fortunately no blood was shed in this war, but much milk fell by the wayside. It was not a victory for producers, as bills were settled on the terms originally offered by dealers, three cents for the first and three and one-half cents for the last half of March.
LEWIS D. ADAMSwas born at Sussex, New Jersey, June 15, 1839. Mr. Adams' early education was limited, but he attended the district school at Florida, and Middletown, N. Y., for a short period. He worked on the farm for his father until he was eighteen years old. He then took up the tinner's trade and worked at that business until 1862, when he enlisted in the 124th Regiment, Co. F, New York Volunteer Infantry, and served as one of the color guards six months and as left general guide two and one-half years. When the war was over he resumed his business at Warwick. Six years later he came to Florida, this county, and purchased the hardware store which he continued to operate until he retired in 1898. Mr. Adams married Miss Marietta Ackerman, of Warwick, September 28, 1870. In politics he is a republican, and served the town as collector one year. Mr. Adams wife died December 24, 1900. Our subject is an honorary member of Warwick Lodge No. 544, F. & A. M.; Cummings Post, G. A. R., and is an honorary member of Highland Fire and Hose Company, which he organized in the '70s.
THOMAS J. ADERTON, merchant, postmaster, and farmer at Savilton, in the town of Newburgh, was born at the homestead in 1847. His grandfather, Thomas Aderton, a seafaring man, settled here from New York City in 1828. Our subject is a son of Captain John L. and Isabella (Swain) Aderton, who engaged in farming here, after following the sea ten years. Thomas J. was educated at the district schools and Monticello Academy. In 1891 he purchased his store and was appointed postmaster. Mr. Aderton has served as town clerk nine years, and excise commissioner twelve years. He married Mary Lockwood and two children have been born to them. One son, A. L. Aderton, is general delivery clerk in the Newburgh post-office.
JOSEPH H. ADOLPH, who has been engaged in the meat business at Highland Falls since 1886, is numbered among the representative and progressive citizens of that village, where he was born in 1857. His opportunities for schooling were limited, and at the age of eleven years he entered the employ of a grocer, with whom he remained ten years. He then Spent two years in Milwaukee and six years in Connecticut, when he returned to his native village and engaged in business for himself, in which he has been unusually successful. Socially Mr. Adolph is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Holy Name Society. In 1885 he married Miss Mary Campion, of Hartford, Conn. They have three children, two sons and one daughter.
GEO. B. ALEXANDER is the son of Harvey and Amanda (Kernaghan) Alexander, and was born in the village of Cornwall, Orange County, N. Y., November 5, 1843. His parents removed to Little Britain in the spring of 1844. At an early age he learned the carpenter's trade, with his father, living at home until the fall of 1886, when he went to California, where he was employed on the Raymond Hotel, which was then in course of erection at Pasadena. On his return home he took up his trade and again visited California in 1891. On his return home he was appointed under sheriff of Orange County, having charge of the Newburgh Court House. His brother, Joseph K. Alexander was sheriff at that time. In 1895 he married Elvira S. Scott, daughter of William J. and Maria (Newkirk) Scott, and niece of David A. Scott. Their son, Harvey, now ten years old, resides at home. Mr. Alexander is a member of Hudson River Lodge No. 607, F. and A. M., of Newburgh, N. Y. In the spring of 1895 he moved to Campbell Hall, where he is associated with his brother, Joseph K. Alexander, in a general store. He was supervisor of the town of Hamptonburgh for two terms, having previously served three terms as town clerk. He is postmaster of Campbell Hall, which office he has held for ten years.
SAMUEL ANDREWS, who has been general superintendent of the Walden Knife Works for twenty-five years and secretary of the company since 1904, was born in England in 1858, a son of William and Sarah (Harrison) Andrews. He came to America with his parents in infancy and in 1872 entered the employ of the Walden Knife Company to learn the cutlery trade. In 1881 he became a director of the company and has been closely identified with the growth and progress of that important industry. Mr. Andrews is a director of the Wallkill Valley Cemetery Association and a member of the Order of Foresters. He has been twice married; his first wife was Miss Clara Ashbury. Two daughters, Ethel and Alice, were born to them. For his second wife Mr. Andrews chose Miss Alfa Mussey.
WALTER CASE ANTHONY, attorney, of Newburgh, was born in Fishkill, N. Y., August 24, 1842. A son of Theodore Van Wyck and Mary H. (Case) Anthony. He was educated at Fishkill Academy and Union College, where he graduated with the degree of A.B. in 1864. He read law at Goshen, N. Y., in the office of David F. Gedney, and later with Stephen W. Fullerton, and was admitted to the bar in 1865.
Mr. Anthony was elected district attorney in 1877, and re-elected in 1880. In 1898 he was appointed referee in bankruptcy for Orange County. Mr. Anthony is a director and counsel of the Columbus Trust Co. of Newburgh. He is vice-president of the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands.
CHARLES W. ARKILLS was born in Fallsburgh, Sullivan County, October 4, 1867. He was educated in the District School and Liberty Academy. At an early age he learned the trade of decorator and painter, and became so proficient that he was foreman for the Ontario & Western Railroad in Newburgh three years, and afterward assistant foreman in the Kilmes Wire Works at Newburgh. He is a democrat, and has several times been chosen a delegate to democratic county conventions. He married Julietta Rose, of Grahamsville, Sullivan County, June 20, 1888, and their children are Laura, Lelia, Sadie L., Viola K., and John I. C. He is a member of the Reformed Dutch Church at Grahamsville, and was superintendent of its Sunday-school for four years. His home is now on a farm near Campbell Hall, with his father. The latter, Darwin Arkills, was born in Scotchtown, Orange County, and married Minerva Gray, of Thompsonville. Their children's names are Laura N., Fred J., and Charles W.
SAMUEL ARMSTRONG was born at Thompson's Ridge, Orange County, N.Y., May 14, 1878. After his district schooling at Thompson's Ridge and Pine Bush he attended the preparatory school of the Misses Porter at Middletown and the Albany College of Pharmacy, from which he graduated in 1902. He removed to Warwick and clerked for S. S. Van Saun, after which he purchased the Warwick Drug Store, which he now owns. He has been deputy town clerk about three years, and is a member of the following societies: Warwick Lodge No. 544, F. & A. M.; Highland Chapter No. 240, R. A. M., and Cypress Commandery No. 67 of Middletown. He married Emma Faith McNeal, of Montgomery, Orange County. His father and mother were natives of the town of Crawford, Orange County, N. Y. His mother's maiden name was Elizabeth J. Shafer. The father was a practical farmer, fond of his home, and devoted to the interests of his church and the republican party.
DR. MAURICE CAVILEER ASHLEY, the present superintendent of the Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital, has occupied that position since July, 1902, succeeding Dr. Selden H. Talcott, who died June 15, 1902.
Dr. Ashley was born in Port Republic, New Jersey, July 3, 1863. He received his education in the public schools of that town, and in 1884 began his work with the insane, by taking a position as attendant in the asylum in Trenton, N. J., where he remained for two years, then came to Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital in the same capacity. In a year's time he was appointed as assistant supervisor in the Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital, and later was promoted to the position of pharmacist.
In 1889 he entered the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia, and graduated in April, 1892. In August, 1892, he was appointed junior assistant physician in the Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital.
His course has steadily advanced since that time: Third assistant physician, 1895; second assistant physician, May, 1898; first assistant physician, April, 1900; acting superintendent, June 15, 1902, and superintendent since July, 1902, when he received the appointment to the position left vacant by his predecessor's death.
Dr. Ashley was married August 30, 1888, to Miss Harriet Meade, of Johnson, Orange County, N. Y. He has two daughters in their early 'teens.
Dr. Ashley was a member of the National Guard, serving in the medical department for nearly twenty years. He resigned his position as captain and assistant surgeon of the 1st New York Regiment in 1907, receiving full and honorable discharge.
In May, 1898, Dr. Ashley, then second assistant physician in the Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital, was granted a leave of absence by the Civil Service Commission' and Superintendent Talcott, and was commissioned by Governor Frank S. Black as captain and assistant surgeon of the 1st New York Volunteer Infantry, and accompanied the regiment to Hawaii.
He is a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, of the American Medico-Psychological Association, and the New York Psychiatric Society, of the Hoffman Lodge No. 412, Midland Chapter No. 240, Cyprus Commandery No. 67, and Mecca Temple, New York City, the University Club of Middletown, and various other medical and social organizations. He has contributed many medical papers from time to time to the various medical publications.
CHARLES P. AU, son of the late Charles and Ellen (McGrisken) Au, was born in 1877 on the farm of J. Pierpont Morgan in the town of Highland, where his father was engaged as a carpenter. After finishing his schooling he learned the barber's trade, in which business he has met with much success. In 1898 he received the appointment as barber in the United States Cadet Barracks at West Point and has retained the position continuously to the present time. He also conducted a shop at Highland Falls for a period of five years. Mr. Au is active in the support of the republican party. In 1906 he was nominated for supervisor and in an unusual election was defeated by the close margin of twenty-four votes. Mr. Au is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the A. O. H. He married Miss Katherine Powers and they are the parents of two boys and one girl.
CLARENCE AYRES was born in the town and village of Mount Hope, November 27, 1875, and was educated in the district school and public school of Middletown, where his parents moved when he was nine years old. He learned the printer's trade, at which he worked three years. When he was seventeen he became lineman in telephone construction, and worked at it in Middletown six years and in Newburgh two years. In 1904 he went to Warwick, became connected with the Warwick Valley Telephone Company, and is now manager of general construction in the mechanical department. He married Anna Collonton, of Goshen, and they have one child, Francis, born in December, 1889. Mr. Ayres is a member of the Congregational Church, and adheres to the democratic party. His father was a sailor on a whaling vessel eight years, and circumnavigated the earth four times. He also served as sailor during the civil war.
FRED BAILEY,a merchant of Otisville, N. Y., was born June 4, 1854. His early education was acquired at Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County, N. Y., at the district school. He was identified with the American Express Company at Ellicottville for a period of nine years. In December, 1892, he came to Orange County and located at Otisville. Removing to Newburgh in 1894, he was engaged in the wholesale grocery business for one year, after which he returned to Otisville and purchased the grocery store of A. J. Craig, which he conducted eight years. He then conducted a store in partnership with George Smith until the fall of 1906, when he purchased Mr. Smith's interest in the store and real estate, and has since conducted it alone.
Mr. Bailey was united in marriage, September 4, 1876, to Miss Chloe Mary Vaughan, of Ellicottville, N. Y. One child died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey are members of the Otisville Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a republican. Mr. Bailey was for five years a member of the Tenth Separate Company, National Guard, State of New York.
THE BAIRD FAMILY—Among the earliest settlers of the town of Warwick there came Francis Baird, prior to 1766. He was of Scotch or Scotch-Irish ancestry, and according to a tradition of the family he, or his father before him, sailed from Bally Castle, County Antrim, in the north of Ireland. This was a shipping port in that early date, and is just across from Scotland. A recent writer has said: "Francis Baird (never Beard) may have been Irish by nativity, but not by ancestry. The Bairds of Avondale were an ancient and powerful Berg Scots clan, and as long ago as the wild days of the struggles between Robert Bruce and John Baliol for the Scottish crown (1309), gave brave account of themselves on the side of the Lord of Lome against the finally victorious Bruce. The name, originally (Norman-French) Bayard, was shortened into Baird by neighbors after the family passed into Scotland from France at a very early date. Francis was an offshoot and clansman of this stock."
He built the stone house on Main street in 1766.
Mr. Baird was a man of intelligence and comparative wealth. He was a signer of the non-importation pledge of 1775, and lived and died in Warwick in warm esteem.
He died in the latter part of 1799 or the first part of 1800, and left a will disposing of his property. His children were William Eagles, Samuel, John, Abia Francis, Anna and Margaret (wife of Joseph Walling).
The last named are the ancestors of the Walling family in this town.
William Eagles Baird married Sarah De Kay, a daughter of Thomas De Kay, and from this marriage were the following: Nathaniel Wheeler, Abia Francis, Fanny (married Blain), Mary (or Polly, married Thomas Hathorn Burt), Jane, Sally (married Nathaniel Pelton), Christine (married David Barclay).
The descendants of Nathaniel Wheeler Baird, who married Abigail Denton, reside principally in this town. They are: John Baird (married Mary De Kay), Julia (married Thomas E. De Kay), Samuel Denton (married Sarah Parks), Mary (married Ogden Howell), Frances Amelia (married George W. Sanford, 1847), Sarah (married Thomas J. Taylor), William Henry (married Mary ____), Charles Roe (married Anna M. Jayne).
In 1819, William Eagles Baird, oldest son of Francis, built the stone house between Warwick and New Milford, which is still in excellent preservation and is owned by a descendant, William Parks Baird, a son of Samuel Denton Baird, deceased, who resides there with his mother, Sarah. The other descendants of Samuel D., who were also born here, are Samuel D., Jr., Nathaniel Wheeler, Susan (married Pierre Demerest), Fred J. and George M.
FRED BAKER, who since 1883 has been manager of the Newburgh branch of Swift & Company, is one of Orange County's popular citizens. He was born in Germany in 1834, and came to America in 1853. He was engaged for many years with his father in the conduct of a slaughter house on the Plank road, and since his connection with Swift & Company has built up an extensive trade in Newburgh and vicinity. Fred, his eldest son, conducts a farm at Marlboro. His son William conducts a meat market at 52 Water street, and another at 127 Smith street, Newburgh, and John J. has a meat market on South Street. Mr. Baker is prominent in Masonic circles, a member of Hudson River Lodge, the Chapter, Commandery and Shrine.
GEORGE W. BALL was born May 13, 1868, in Monroe, Orange County. He was educated in the public school and Chester Academy. Then he was clerk for David Roe at Bellvale, N. Y., and for Frank Hall, of Greenwood Lake. In 1888 he became station agent at Allamuchy, N. J., and Buttsville, N. J., for the Lehigh & Hudson Railroad, and was transferred to Greycourt, N. Y. In 1891 he became clerk in the Erie Railroad office at Bergen, N. J., and went from there back to Greycourt to be station agent for the Erie. He left the employment of this road July 15, 1904, and started a real estate and insurance business at Chester. He also started and still publishes a weekly paper, theIndependent.
Mr. Ball has been village trustee four years, justice of the peace four years, and village clerk two years. He has been a member of the Chester Band twenty years, and is at present its leader. He was chief of the Chester fire department from 1894 to 1896. He is a charter member of the Chester K. of P. Lodge No. 363, and a member of the Standard Lodge No. 711, F. & A. M. His wife was Anna M. Smith, and a daughter of the late C. P. Smith, of Chester. Their children are Mae T., Susan R., Katheryn M. and Caroline P.
PETER MOIR BARCLAY, M.D.—Of the physicians and surgeons in Orange County who built up an extensive practice, special mention should be made of the late Dr. Barclay, of Newburgh. He was a son of Dr. Alexander and Mary J. Fraser (Watt) Barclay, and was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, April 20, 1834. His parents came to America in 1835, settling in Newburgh. Here Peter M. received his preliminary education, graduating from the Academy in 1848. In 1850 he began the study of medicine under his father, and graduated from the University of New York in 1854. July 9, 1866, Governor Fenton appointed him surgeon to the 19th Infantry of New York, with the rank of captain. Dr. Barclay was a nonresident member of the Medico-Legal Society of New York, and was prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity, including the Knights Templar.
He was united in marriage, June 19, 1872, with Miss Harriet E., daughter of Captain C. B. Armstrong. They had one daughter, Maude, now the wife of Mr. John B. Rose, a leading brick manufacturer and representative citizen of Newburgh.
Of Dr. Barclay's skill in his profession it is unnecessary to speak, as his talents were known and appreciated for nearly half a century in this city and adjoining portions of the State. He was also recognized as a leading citizen, performing in a plain and courteous manner the various social duties that devolved upon him. His death occurred in Newburgh, February 10, 1901.
ARTHUR BARNES, senior member of the firm of Barnes & Atkins, is a son of Edgar C. Barnes, and was born and educated in Newburgh. They occupy one of the oldest business houses of its kind in the city; established in 1874 by Matthews & Barnes; succeeded in 1883 by Barnes & Mapes; and in 1890 by E. C. Barnes, and again in 1898 by Barnes & Monell. The present firm purchased the business in 1905. They are smokers and packers of B. & M. Newburgh meats and give employment to twelve men. They are extensive dealers in butter, eggs and cheese.
EDGAR C. BARNES was born in Orange County, N. Y., July 16, 1834. His parents removed to New York City when he was seven years of age, and he received his education in the schools of that city. From 1851 to 1854 Mr. Barnes was employed in the store of A. R. & O. Taylor at Pine Bush, Orange County. He then came to Newburgh and entered the employ of William K. Mailler & Co. as shipping clerk on the barge Newburgh. He filled various positions in the office of the barge until 1874, becoming familiar with the produce commission business. In 1874 he formed a partnership with James H. Mathews under the firm name of Mathews & Barnes, wholesale provision and produce merchants. In 1883 Mr. Mathews retired from the firm and Mr. Albert W. Mapes was admitted thereto, under the firm name of Barnes & Mapes, and so continued until December, 1890. Mr. Barnes continued the business alone until 1898, but removed to a substantial brick building he had erected at 42 South Water street, specially adapted to cold storage. In March of 1898 Mr. Barnes retired from active business life. He is vice-president of the Highland National Bank of Newburgh. Mr. Barnes has not sought prominence in public life, but rather has devoted himself to his business, in which he was eminently successful, and to the work of the church and Sunday-school with which he is connected. He has been twice married, his first wife being M. Theresa Pack, of New York, who died, leaving four children, three of whom are living. Anna, Minnie, and Arthur, his business successor. In 1870 he married Sophie H. Parsons, of Newburgh, N. Y.
GEORGE T. BARNES, son of Gordon and Esther A. (Tate) Barnes, was born in Montgomery, Orange County. He attended school but a short period and in 1881 began his apprenticeship as a tinsmith and plumber, serving seven years. He was employed several years at Middletown by the late George A. Swalm and has resided in Newburgh since 1889. In 1892 he established his present business as a contractor for plumbing, ventilating, steam and hot water heating. Mr. Barnes has given a great deal of study to the most improved and economical systems of heating and ventilating large buildings and his plans have been accepted and installed in many of the palatial homes in the Hudson Valley, Long Island, and Rhode Island. Among the important plants he has equipped may be mentioned those of the Light, Heat and Power Companies of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie, the Chatham, Coxsackie and Rhinebeck electrical stations, and he now has the contract for heating the United States Government buildings at West Point, N. Y. Mr. Barnes' success may be attributed to his close attention to business and fulfilling his contracts to the letter. From a humble beginning he has built up a business in the space of fifteen years, exceeding all others in his line in Orange County. His show rooms at 107 Broadway will compare favorably with any in New York State. In 1895 he married Miss Cory, of Rhode Island, and one daughter has been born to them.
J. MILTON BARNES, flour and grain merchant, of Central Valley, was born in Cornwall, Orange County, in 1844, a son of Matthew and Mary (Van Duser) Barnes. As a young man he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until 1876, when he located in Central Valley and engaged in the mercantile business with Alfred Cooper. This partnership continued eight years and was succeeded by Barnes & Thorn, Barnes & Duran, and J. M. Barnes & Co. Mr. Barnes was appointed postmaster of the village in 1885 and again in 1892. Politically he has always been a democrat. In 1884 Mr. Barnes married Miss Hannah, daughter of the late Hon. Morgan Shuit.
ROBERT HIRAM BARNETT, of Newburgh, N. Y., was born in the City of Gloversville, Fulton County, N. Y., on June 13, 1870, being the son of Alfred A. and Bessie Rowell Barnett. His father was born in London, England, and came to this country in the early sixties. The Barnett family is descended from English ancestors who commanded in the battle of Barnett. Through his mother, Mr. Barnett is a Mayflower descendant and is connected with the Fields and Morses, Warren Rowell, the New York inventor, being his maternal great-uncle. Mr. Barnett received his education in the city of Johnstown, N. Y., and graduated from the Johnstown High School and the Johnstown Academy, which was founded by Sir William Johnson. Owing to ill-health he was unable to enter college, but continued his studies for three years under a tutor and read law with Andrew J. Nellis, of Johnstown, N. Y., and acted as his managing clerk for several years and thereafter went to New York City and entered the New York Law School as a student thereof. While pursuing his course at the New York Law School he was connected with ex-Deputy Attorney General Colonel Dennison, of the firm of Dennison & Hartridge, of New York City. Mr. Barnett graduated from the New York Law School in 1895, with the degree of bachelor of laws, and was admitted to the bar at Albany in December, 1895.
He practiced law in the city of Johnstown for a short time and then removed to Mechanicsville, N. Y., where he remained for about three years, and while there was corporation counsel of the village and acted as attorney and counsel for the boards of health and water commissioners. From Mechanicsville Mr. Barnett removed to the city of New York and engaged in the practice of his profession, but owing to ill-health and inability to become acclimated to the salt air he removed to the city of Newburgh in 1901, where he has since continuously followed his profession, having largely confined his efforts to the practice of negligence law.
DANIEL D. BARNS, the third son of Nathaniel and Effie (Dusenberre) Barns, previously referred to, was born in Middle Hope in 1833. He now lives in retirement on his valuable fruit farm, adjoining his birthplace. In 1857 he married Miss Hester D., daughter of Captain L. S. Carpenter, of Marlboro. They became the parents of three daughters and one son, Nathaniel C., who continues the management of the farm cultivated so many years by his father. Mr. Daniel D. Barns always manifested a great interest in public affairs of Orange County, and was well known as a breeder of fast trotting horses for which Orange County is noted.
Nathaniel C. Barns was born in Middle Hope in 1863. Since completing his studies in the Newburgh schools he has been largely engaged in fruit growing with much success. He has served as justice of the peace, and is the present master of Cronomer Valley Grange No. 982.
In 1888 he married Miss Mary E., daughter of Dr. Kidd, of Newburgh; she died in 1889, leaving one daughter, Natalie C.
NATHANIEL BARNS—Among the representative agriculturalists and fruit growers of Orange County, Mr. Nathaniel Barns, of the town of Newburgh, is worthy of special notice. Born in Middle Hope, February 20, 1831, he has been for nearly half a century actively engaged in the cultivation of a large and valuable farm, mostly devoted to fruit. He is the second son and namesake of the late Nathaniel and Effie (Dusenberre) Barns, previously mentioned.
Mr. Barns attended a select school at Marlboro, and subsequently taught school one winter. When twenty-three years of age he married Miss Martha Waring, and four sons and one daughter were born to them, of whom James and Charles are living—the former a dry goods merchant of Newburgh, and the latter in the produce business in New York. Mr. Barns has been actively identified with public affairs of his native town. He was elected assessor for a period of nine years, excise commissioner for two years, and from 1865 to 1870 held the office of supervisor and chairman of the board in 1870. Mr. Barns was the first supervisor from the present town of Newburgh and is the only surviving member of that honorable body of 1866. Mr. Barns was recognized as a leader and placed on important committees. He is at present one of the trustees of Cedar Hill Cemetery, and member of Cronomer Valley Grange.
WILLIAM D. BARNS, widely known for many years as one of the most prominent and successful agriculturists, fruit growers and horticulturists in the State of New York, pursued his vocation at Middle Hope, Orange County, where he was born October 16, 1828. He was the descendant of an old and honored New England family. His father, Nathaniel Barns, was born in Litchfield, Conn., in 1782, and settled in Middle Hope shortly after his marriage to Miss Effie Dusenberre in 1828. Four children were born to them, namely, William D., Nathaniel, Daniel D., and Mary E.
Nathaniel Barns became a prosperous farmer, and at the time of his death in 1879 was the owner of 300 acres of the choicest farm land in Orange County. These farms became the property of the sons above mentioned. William D. continued the homestead farm, and for thirty-five years previous to his death devoted his attention largely to the cultivation of fruit. He was vice-president of the Orange County Agricultural Society from 1888 to 1897, and superintendent of the fruit department at the annual fairs of this organization. He was a member and exhibitor at the Newburgh Bay Horticultural Society. He was connected with the Eastern New York Horticultural Society since its organization, and a member of the Western New York Horticultural Society. In 1893 he was appointed by Governor Flower a member of the board of control of the New York State Experiment Station at Geneva. He was also appointed by Governor Odell a State delegate to the National Farmers' Congress at Sioux Falls, S. D., in 1901. As a citizen of the town of Newburgh, he was the incumbent of many offices of trust and honor. As almshouse commissioner he was prominent in securing many improvements on the farm attached to that institution. He was largely instrumental in the establishment of the Children's Home, and the plans for its management have been conducted substantially as he advocated. Mr. Barnes' death occurred in October, 1904. In 1860 he married Miss Elizabeth A. Carpenter, and five children were born, of whom four are living, Edwin W., Mary, George D., John S., and Nathaniel H. (deceased).
The homestead farm is now conducted under the management and firm name of Edwin W. Barns & Son. Over seventy acres are devoted to the culture of fruit, and all specimens adapted to this section, from the earliest strawberry to the latest apples, are here grown.
CHARLES W. BARTRUM, general superintendent of the Newburgh plant of Sweet, Orr & Co., was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., and educated at the Rhinebeck Academy. He taught school for a time and was later associated with the clothing industry at Ossining, N. Y., for a period of nine years. In 1881 his services were secured by the above firm, first in the sales department and then in charge of the general office. In 1883 he was appointed superintendent.
Mr. Bartrum married Miss Hannah E. Willsea, of Tarrytown, and they are the parents of two children, Dr. William C. and Miss Nellie E.
WILLIAM R. BEAL, president of the Newburgh Light, Heat and Power Company, was born in Newark, N. J., in 1838. His father, Joseph Reynolds, a gentleman by birth and education, and his mother, Elizabeth Austen, came to this country from England about 1830.
Left an orphan at an early age, he first engaged in a fifteen hour a day business for nearly two years and then commenced his career with gas companies. His experience in the latter line of business was with the Newark, N. J., Gas Light Co. and then with the gas company at Elizabeth. In 1855 he became manager of the Yonkers Gas Light Co., leaving it in 1866 to take the same position in the territory now known as the Twenty-third Ward, New York City. In 1870 he organized the company and built the works now controlling the sale of gas in the Twenty-fourth Ward, New York City. In 1895, and as president of these companies, he sold them to the New Amsterdam Gas Company of New York City, now controlled by the Consolidated Gas Company, New York City.
While living in the Twenty-third Ward, he was actively identified in church and Sunday-schools and church construction and management, and for twelve years with the public school system of New York as trustee and chairman.
Mr. Beal was president of the American Gas Light Association in 1902, and is now a trustee and treasurer of its educational fund. In 1900 he became president of the Newburgh Light, Heat and Power Co., and a little later of the Poughkeepsie L., H. & P. Co. His policy throughout his career of more than half a century with gas enterprises has been to use the best manufacturing and distributing apparatus and to give the best possible service at equitable rates.
For many years Mr. Beal has been largely identified with real estate and building operations and in the organization and management of incorporated enterprises. He is a warden of Holy Trinity Church, New York, is an officer of Christian associations, a Free Mason and a Grand Army man, as well as a member of several clubs, church and benevolent institutions.
In 1863 Mr. Beal was united in marriage to Eleanor Louise Bell. Their living children, Reynolds and Gifford are artists, Thaddeus R. is manager of the Poughkeepsie L., H. & P. Co., Albert R. is manager of the gas department, Newburgh L., H. & P. Co., Mrs. Charles E. Acker and Miss Mary Reynolds Beal.
OSCAR W. BELCHER, who recently purchased the Lee farm in the town of Cornwall, has resided in Orange County nearly half a century. He was born in Passaic County, N. J., in 1844, where he remained until 1859. With the exception of two and a half years spent in Michigan, Mr. Belcher has been engaged in farming in what is now the town of Tuxedo. In 1907 he disposed of his property there and removed to his present home.