SCHULTZ, JACOB—A local contemporary of Mr. Denniston was Jacob Schultz, also of New Windsor, where he was born April 23, 1776, and February 14, 1799, married Anna, daughter of John Denniston, of that town. He first appears in the journalistic field as editor and proprietor of theNew Windsor Gazette.When this paper came into existence is not known, though it was as early as, and probably some time prior to, 1799, for in that year he moved the paper and plant to Newburgh. In 1818 he retired to a small farm in the town of New Windsor, where he erected a substantial stone house, and where, in rural pursuits and pleasures, he passed the remainder of his days, and was gathered to his fathers in 1859, aged eighty-three years.
WINFIELD, DR. ELIAS—Next on the scene is Dr. Elias Winfield, who, in 1799, started theRights of Man,and later removed to Kingston, and was lost to subsequent Orange County history.
HEURTIN, JOHN G. AND WILLIAM—John G. and William Heurtin are heard of in 1800 as purchasers of theGoshen Repository,the name of which they changed to that of theOrange County Patriot.They seem to have retired from public view after 1803, when thePatriotpassed into the hands of Gabriel Denton and William A. Carpenter, and becameThe Friend of Truth.
DENTON, GABRIEL—Gabriel Denton appears in 1801 as purchaser of the interest of William Heurtin in theOrange County Patriot.In 1803 Mr. Denton sold his interest to William A. Carpenter. In 1804 Mr. Denton began the publication of theOrange County Gazetteat Goshen. In 1808 he started in Goshen theOrange County Patriot and Spirit of Seventy-six.Mr. Denton seems to have been industrious as a founder of newspapers, but others must have reaped the reward, for his last days were passed in the Orange County poorhouse.
COLES, DENNIS—The name of Dennis Coles appears in 1803 as starting theRecorder of the Times,in Newburgh.
GAZLAY, WARD M—In 1804 Ward M. Gazlay appears on the scene for the first time. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and became engaged in the printing business at Goshen as the purchaser of theFriend of Truth,the successor of theRepositoryand thePatriot.He changed its name to that of theOrange Eagle.His office was destroyed by fire in 1805, and with the remnants he drove into Newburgh, purchased theRecorder of the Times,of Dennis Coles, and changed its name to thePolitical Index,under which name it continued until 1829. TheRecorderclaimed to be Republican in politics, but was generally regarded as representing the Federalists and Burrites. When Mr. Gazlay merged theTimeswith his Goshen paper, and evolved therefrom, at Newburgh thePolitical Index,the interests of the Republican party were apparently consolidated. It supported Jefferson and Madison, and the War of 1812. Jonathan Fisk wrote the editorials for theIndex,and with the inspiration of this able man's articles, theIndexcared little for its only contemporary, theOrange County Patriot,a Federalist paper, and the latter retired to Goshen, whence it came, to become theGoshen Democrat.He sold hisIndexto Charles M. Cushman, in 1829. Mr. Gazlay served as a magistrate in the village of Newburgh for some years, and died there in April, 1836, aged fifty-four years. His wife was Bridget, daughter of Jonathan and Bridget Carter, by whom he had three sons.
BEACH, CYRUS; PRATT, LUTHER—At Montgomery, May 6, 1806, appeared the names of Cyrus Beach and Luther Pratt, as printers, or rather publishers, "for the proprietors," of theOrange County Republican.The proprietors were twenty-four "patriotic citizens of the county." Pratt's name remained connected with the paper until 1818, when it became theIndependent Republican,with James A. Cheevey as its proprietor.
HENDRIE, R. C. S—The name of R. C. S. Hendrie appears in Goshen between 1822 and 1834, through coming into proprietorship of thePatriot.He sold it to F. T. Parsons, who changed its name to theGoshen Democrat,February 22, 1834. In 1843 Mr. Hendrie started therue Whig,and two years later sold it to Mead & Son, who united it with theDemocratunder the name of theDemocrat and Whig.
CROWELL, T. B—T. B. Crowell appeared in 1812 as the publisher of thePatriot,and in 1822 as its proprietor. Then he passed from the scene.
VANDYCK, HENRY H.—In 1832 the name of Henry H. Vandyck appears, in connection with the purchase of theIndependent Republicanat Goshen. In 1836 he was elected to the State Senate. In October, 1839, he became proprietor of theNewburgh Telegraph.His course in favoring the building of the Erie Railroad—a terrible commercial blow to Newburgh—was so displeasing to the people of Newburgh that he disposed of the paper to Elias Pitts, and left. He went to Albany, and became editor of theAlbany Atlas,and was later elected Comptroller of the State. He was a Democrat of the Jackson school.
VAIL, LEBBEUS L.—Lebbeus Lothrop Vail was born at Middletown, in 1793. His father was Squire Izaiah Vail, a farmer and miller, and his mother, Azuba Horton. Mr. Vail, after engaging in various occupations, finally started at Goshen theSigns of the Timesin 1832. In 1843 Vail and Denton started theDemocratic Standard,which afterwards came into the possession of his son Hector, who changed its name to theGoshen Clarion.
Mr. Vail was a highly popular citizen, and was elected county clerk for two terms by handsome majorities. He died in 1849, and was buried in Middletown, but the remains were afterwards transferred to Goshen. Mr. Vail was married to Sally Moon, who lived until 1876.
CUSHMAN, CHARLES M.—Charles M. Cushman in 1829 purchased Gazlay'sPolitical Indexat Newburgh. He changed it to theOrange Telegraphand later to theNewburgh Telegraph.Mr. Ruttenber says of him that he was a descendant of Robert Cushman, one of the original company of Pilgrims who sailed for the New World August 5, 1620 (O. S.) He was born in Washington County, N. Y., March 20, 1802, served as an apprentice in Rutland, Vt., and subsequently in Boston; and retired from printing in 1839. He was one of the founders of the Newburgh public libraries, and also helped to establish the Quassaic Bank, and also the Newburgh Savings Bank. In 1853 he was chosen to represent the first assembly district of Orange County in the legislature. In June, 1832, he married Mary, fourth daughter of Captain John Birdsall. He died without issue at Rhinebeck, June 1, 1859.
SPALDING, JOHN D.—A contemporary of Mr. Cushman was John D. Spalding or Spaulding. He was born in Salem, Mass., January, 1800, and came to Newburgh in 1815 with his father, the Rev. Joshua Spaulding, of the Presbyterian Church. He served an apprenticeship as "devil" with Ward M. Gazlay, was subsequently connected with theNewburgh Gazetteand theJournal,for about thirty-eight years. He married Elizabeth L., daughter of Rev. John Johnston, D.D., of Newburgh, and died August 22, 1853, in his fifty-fourth year. He was survived by several children.
PITTS, ELIAS—Elias Pitts practically succeeded Mr. Cushman in Newburgh journalism. He was born in Columbia County, N. Y., in 1810, graduated at the Kinderhook Academy, served an apprenticeship in theKinderhook Sentinel,and became interested in the paper. Later he was in the editorial department of theRochester Advertiser,and succeeded Mr. VanDyck on theNewburgh Telegraphin the winter of 1840, which continued until 1850. He was next heard of at Poughkeepsie as editor of thePoughkeepsie American.Soon after 1853 he received an appointment to a clerkship in the State Department at Washington, which continued until his death at Washington, July 21, 1854. His first wife was Elizabeth, daughter of John Jamieson, of Newburgh. His second wife was Margaret, daughter of John Whited.
It is practically at this point that we come to the parting of the ways—the passing of the real pioneers in Orange County journalism. The generation has come and gone, so far as activity is concerned, and we find coming on the stage new actors. They were, however, evidently of the same mould of character, infusing into their work their personality, and stamping on their productions the ineffable marks of strong individuality.
SECOND GENERATION JOURNALISTS.
DRAKE, VICTOR M.—First and clearly foremost in the second generation of early journalists was Victor M. Drake. He was born at Milford, Pa., March 20, 1813. His father was Rufus J., a son of Francis Drake, of Blooming Grove, Orange County, N. Y. From the seventeenth century the family had lived in Orange County, in the towns of Goshen and Chester. His great-grandfather, Joseph Drake, was said to be a lineal descendant of Sir Francis Drake, of England, who died in 1794. The mother of V. M. Drake was Rhoda Pierson, a daughter of Rachel Bull, whose mother was a sister of Mary DeWitt, the mother of DeWitt Clinton. At the age of eleven years, Victor M. Drake entered the office of the GoshenIndependent Republican,where he served as apprentice, journeyman, editor and proprietor of the paper, and in 1846 he became connected with theNew Jersey Herald,at Newton, as reporter, editor and proprietor, remaining there until 1871. Mr. Drake lived an abstemious, careful, circumspect life, and died in Goshen in 1894, and his remains repose in the cemetery at that place.
Frank M. Drake, the present able and dignified editor and proprietor of the GoshenIndependent Republican,is a son of this venerable and respected journalist, who infused a high standard in local journalism, and left a name that should ever be revered in Orange County newspaper circles.
BEEBE, ELDER GILBERT—Elder Gilbert Beebe, the editor of the old-school Baptist publication, theSigns of the Times,of Middletown, for nearly half a century, was the son of David Beebe and Eunice Case. He was born at Norwich, Conn., November 25, 1800, and died May 2, 1881 at his home in Middletown, N. Y. He was of the old-school Baptist faith and was licensed to preach in 1818. In 1823 he married at New York City, Miss Phoebe A. Cunningham, and the same year he was ordained pastor of the Baptist Church at Ramapo, N. Y. After serving pastorates in this church and the Baptist Church at New Vernon, he moved to Middletown, N. Y., in 1847, which place henceforth became his home, where the remainder of his life was passed in editorial work on theSigns,which he moved there in 1848, and in expounding the Baptist faith as stated supply for several nearby churches.
When Elder Gilbert Beebe became editor of theSigns of the Times,a David had entered the theological field, armed with the slings of regeneration, the rocks of inspiration, and the strength of devoutness—backed by a printing press and waiting shrines. He was a worker, and became a power in the land. When Elder Beebe passed away the old-school Baptist creed lost its leader, and no one seems to have risen to take his place; the stage of Orange County journalism lost one of its most picturesque figures, the field one of its unique landmarks—a type of preacher and editor that has already passed, never to return.
MEAD, CHARLES—A contemporary of Victor M. Drake was Charles Mead, though born six years later, November 19, 1819, at Newburgh. His father was Xenophon Mead, and his mother was Abigail, daughter of Moses Burr, a relative of Aaron Burr. Charles Mead was educated under the then well-known Goshen teacher, Nathaniel Webb. At the age of fifteen years he was apprenticed in the office of theOrange County Patriot,under William B. Wright, who afterward became judge of the supreme court of New York State. He went to Carbondale, Pa., in 1839, and remained one year as editor of theCarbondale Journal.In 1841-42 he was employed onGraham's Magazine,in Philadelphia. May 9, 1842, he married Caroline A., daughter of Daniel Worden, of Goshen, who died November 11, 1880. Shortly after his marriage he purchased theGoshen Democratof the heirs of Frederick T. Parsons. In 1865 he associated with him his son, William B. Mead, and January 1, 1892, sold his interest to Edwin L. Roys. His second wife was Miss Fannie Jackson, of Goshen. Mr. Mead lived a quiet, unobtrusive life, and made his paper a handsomely printed, model conservative Republican journal. He died April 22, 1893, and his remains repose in St. John's cemetery, Goshen.
McNALLY, JAMES J.—One of the men who left their impress on the printing art in Orange County, as well as in Sussex and Pike Counties, was the venerable James J. McNally. He learned the printing trade in the office of theSigns of the Timesat New Vernon. Thence he went to Newton, N. J., and worked on theNew Jersey Herald.From there he went to Milford, Pa., where, it is believed, he started thePike County Democrat,which became theMilford Herald,now theDispatch.In the spring of 1852 he went to Goshen and bought theIndependent Republican,which, seven years later, he sold to Isaac V. Montanye. In the spring of 1859 he again went to Newton, N. J., this time as the editor and proprietor of theNew Jersey Herald.This paper he finally sold and returned to Goshen, and again became owner of theIndependent Republican.In 1869 he sold the same to Edward M. Ruttenber. The same year he became owner of theNewburgh Telegraph,daily and weekly, purchasing the same of A. A. Bensel. In 1874 he sold it to Dr. Cooper, of Warwick. For a short time he conducted a grocery store in Middletown, then became connected with theCarmel Courier.In 1882 he went to Monroe and started theMonroe Herald.In 1888 he started at Goshen theGoshen News,and for a time conducted both of these publications, printing them at Goshen. This he continued until the spring of 1892, when he died, and both publications ceased. Mr. McNally was a good printer, a sharp, witty writer, and an energetic worker. His son, William C. McNally, is the owner and editor of the Ellenville (Ulster County)Press.
RUTTENBER, EDWARD M.—Edward M. Ruttenber was born in Bennington, Vt., July 17, 1824, entered the office of theVermont Gazettein 1837, as a "printer's devil," came to Newburgh in 1838, as an apprentice to Charles M. Cushman, an old friend of his father, on theNewburgh Telegraph.Three years later he entered the office of theNewburgh Gazette,where he remained until 1845, when he became foreman of theTelegraph,then owned by Elias Pitts. In May, 1850, he purchased theNewburgh Telegraph,and successfully conducted the same until 1857. It was a weekly, printed on a hand-press. To Mr. Ruttenber belongs the honor of bringing to Orange County the first steam-power press, on which theTelegraphwas printed in 1853. In 1851 theTelegraphabsorbed theNewburgh Excelsior,and theGazettein 1857. Early in 1857 Mr. Ruttenber and E. W. Gray began issuing theDaily Newsfrom the office of theTelegraph.Mr. Ruttenber sold the plant late in 1857, repurchased it in 1859, sold it in 1861, repurchased it in 1866, and in 1867 sold it to A. A. Bensel. In 1869 he and James J. McNally became owners of the plant. In the autumn of that year Mr. Ruttenber retired, to become part owner of theGoshen Independent Republican,which in 1870, he sold to H. P. Kimber. After leaving that paper he and a younger son started a job printing office in Newburgh. From July, 1863, to January, 1865, when he resigned, Mr. Ruttenber was engaged in the Bureau of Military Records at Albany. Added to his other accomplishments Mr. Ruttenber delved deeply and learnedly into historical lore, and became the first authority on Indian nomenclature and the author of four or five valuable historical works. The first was a "History of Newburgh" (1859); the next was a work entitled "Obstructions to Navigation of Hudson's River": next "A History of the Flags of the Volunteer Regiments of the State of New York." A "History of the Indian Tribes of Hudson's River" followed, and is a work that is now in great demand. In 1875 he began in serial form a "History of Orange County." His last work was "Footprints of the Red Men," containing Indian geographical names in the valleys of the Hudson, Mohawk and Delaware, their location and probable meaning. This was issued in 1906, and was published under the auspices of the New York State Historical Association. In addition to his journalistic and historical work, Mr. Ruttenber found time to work in local educational matters, and in 1870 had served twelve years as a member of the Newburgh board of education. In 1846 Mr. Ruttenber married Matilda A., daughter of Mark McIntyre, of Newburgh, to whom two sons were born: Charles B., who became a musician of considerable repute, and Walker F., associated with his father in the printing business, and editor and publisher of theNewburgh Telegram.Edward M. Ruttenber died in December, 1907, aged eighty-three years, deeply loved by his family and those who knew him best, and respected and honored by all. He was a man of genial temperament, companionable, and the evening of life found him amiable, courteous, warm-hearted, lovable. Orange County was greatly enriched by his coming, and impoverished by his going. His grave on the banks of the historic Hudson, in the hillside city of his adoption, should ever be kept green.
HASBROUCK, JOHN W.—John Whitbeck Hasbrouck, the son of Richard Hasbrouck and Mary Johnson, was born at Woodstock, Ulster County, N. Y., November 20, 1821. In 1834 the parents of John W. Hasbrouck removed from Woodstock to Kingston, where the subject of this sketch completed his education at the famous Kingston Academy, and began his journalistic career in 1845 with theKingston Journal.In the spring of 1846 Mr. Hasbrouck purchased theSullivan Whigat Bloomingburg, Sullivan County, but disposed of it in 1851, and the same year went to Middletown, where he started theWhig Press,which later became theOrange County Press,merging finally into theTimes-Pressin 1906. Mr. Hasbrouck retired both from his paper and active journalism in 1868, though his graceful pen was never entirely idle until stilled by the Great Destroyer in 1907.
Mr. Hasbrouck married Miss Lydia Sayer, M.D., of Warwick, N. Y., July 27, 1856, who still survives him. He found in this cultured lady a true help meet, one with ready brain and brawn, and together, hand in hand, they traveled down life's pathway, with a harmony seldom paralleled, and the parting of the ways found them with silvered heads and the harvest of autumn goldened by the rays of life's declining sun.
HASBROUCK, DR. LYDIA SAYER, was born December 20, 1827, in the town of Warwick, N. Y. She early determined to fit herself for a professional life, and graduated at the Hygiea Therapeutic College in New York, with the degree of doctor of medicine. Mrs. Hasbrouck's life-work has been chiefly that of an educator, lecturer and physician, and her connection with Orange County journalism was of brief duration. For eight years she was editor of her husband's paper, theSybil,a semi-monthly reform paper, and she started a paper called theLiberal Sentinel.
MONTANYE, ISAAC V.—Isaac V. Montanye was born May 3, 1825, on the eastern slope of the Shawangunk Mountain near New Vernon, and died December 26, 1906, in the eighty-second year of his age. He entered the office of the GoshenIndependent Republicanin the early forties, as an apprentice under Victor M. Drake. In 1846 Mr. Montanye and John S. Clark purchased theIndependentof the late Moses B. Swezey, who had succeeded V. M. Drake. Later Mr. Montanye purchased Mr. Clark's interest, and, in 1853, sold the paper to James J. McNally, and in 1875 became, for the second time, the owner of theIndependent Republican.A few years later he again sold the plant to James J. McNally. In 1876 he became owner of the plant for the third time, having this time purchased it of T. P. McElrath. In 1883 he disposed of his interest to his son Lucien Montanye, and Frank Drake. He had been connected with theState Journalin Madison, Wis., theMercuryat Middletown, theTelegraphat Newburgh, theIndexat Port Jervis, and theRecordat Washingtonville. He started the latter two papers, and was connected with theRecordwhen he died. Mr. Montanye installed the first cylinder press, turned by hand, in Orange County, which he set up in the office of theIndependent Republicanin 1850, replacing the old hand-press. He also installed the first newspaper folding machine in theMiddletown Mercury.In 1870 Mr. Montanye was elected member of assembly from the second district of Orange County, and later secured an appointment in the New York custom-house. In 1899 he resigned this position, and, with his grandson, Montanye Rightmyer, established theOrange County Recordat Washingtonville.
MARTIN, CYRUS B.—Cyrus B. Martin appeared in the field in 1861, when he became the purchaser of theHighland Chieftain,and changed its name to theNewburgh Daily Journal,which it retains to this day.
Mr. Martin was born in Argyle, Washington County, N. Y., September 6, 1830, and having early learned the printer's trade, was employed as a compositor on theAlbany Journal,where he remained from 1850 to 1855, when he became one of the editors of theChenango Telegraph,published at Norwich, N. Y. He continued on this paper until he purchased the presentNewburgh Daily Journalin 1861. Upon severing his connection with the latter publication in 1877, he returned to Norwich, where various interests demanded his care and attention. He became president of that great industry known as the David Maydole Hammer Company, and also president of the Chenango County Bank. He departed this life some years ago while still actively engaged in business duties.
RITCHIE, SAMUEL—Samuel Ritchie, who as editor and part proprietor of theNewburgh Daily Journal,and president of the Newburgh Journal Company, has been connected with that paper for over thirty-one years, was born at Larne, Ireland, July 3, 1836. He was the son of Robert L. and Sarah E. Ritchie, and came to Newburgh in 1839, where, with the exception of one year, he has resided ever since. He was for many years connected with theNewburgh Daily Journalin a reportorial capacity and as city editor, and on March 1, 1877, with Messrs. Hull and Rodine, he purchased that paper from Cyrus B. Martin, and became its editor, remaining such to the present time.
Mr. Ritchie has long been recognized as an able editorial writer, and being possessed of a keen wit, he wields a trenchant pen. His kindly nature, however, has ever rendered him cautious against wantonly injuring the feelings of others, and now, in the evening of life, he reaps the reward of his upright conduct, in the regard and esteem of his fellow-men.
HULL, FRANK S—Frank S. Hull, for many years part proprietor of theNewburgh Daily Journal,and at present the vice-president and treasurer of the Newburgh Journal Company, was born in Newburgh, June 6, 1853. He became while a boy highly interested in printing and successfully carried on several amateur periodicals. Upon the retirement of Cyrus B. Martin, in 1877, from the management of theNewburgh Daily Journal,he was one of the three gentlemen who purchased the former's interest, and has remained connected with that paper ever since.
TUCKER, JOHN F.—John F. Tucker was born in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., on July 3, 1850, and after leaving school became connected with thePoughkeepsie Eagle.He left that paper in 1872 to take charge of the Government printing office at West Point, where he remained for twelve years, resigning in 1884 to become city editor of theNewburgh Register.With that paper he remained connected as city editor, part proprietor and sole editor, until its suspension in February, 1908. Mr. Tucker has been one of the hardest workers among newspaper men, and ever noted for the conscientious manner in which he discharged the various duties allotted to him. For many years he has been the secretary of the Newburgh Board of Trade, and to his efficiency in office, and active interest in every movement likely to benefit his city, is due a great part of the success attained by the Board of Trade.
THIRD GENERATION JOURNALISTS.
The most recent of the old school of second generation journalists to pass away was the Hon. Isaac V. Montanye, of theOrange County Record,at Washingtonville, who died December 6, 1906, and in December, 1907, Edward Ruttenber of Newburgh.
There now remains on the stage of life only Mrs. Hasbrouck of the second generation; and of the third generation, Gilbert Van Sciver, Middletown; Isaac F. Guiwits, Kansas City; Samuel Ritchie, Newburgh; William H. Nearpass, Port Jervis; William T. Doty, Port Jervis; Evander B. Willis, California. These are named in the order of their appearance in the journalistic field of Orange County, rather than with reference to their ages.
VAN SCIVER, GILBERT—Probably the oldest male printer in the county to-day is Gilbert Van Sciver, of Middletown. He has been almost continuously "in the harness" since 1852 until two years ago (1906), when thePressandTimesof that city united. He became an apprentice in the office of John W. Hasbrouck'sWhig Pressin 1852, when the office was located in the building on North and Depot streets, opposite the carpet-bag factory. In 1857 he went to New York and was there employed as a journeyman for eight years. In 1865 he returned to Middletown, and was re-employed in thePressoffice, and there remained until the paper lost its identity and merged with theTimes.
NORTON, JAMES H.—August 10, 1854, the name of James H. Norton first appeared in Orange County journalism. On that date Mr. Norton purchased theTri-States Unionof Port Jervis, of Lucius F. Barnes, and there then entered Orange County a journalistic genius—a talent that was destined to cut a most important figure in the newspaper life of the county and far beyond its boundaries. James Henry Norton was born at Goshen, Connecticut, in May, 1823, and after a common school education in his native town, he was admitted to the bar before he was twenty-one years old, and was appointed District Attorney of Wayne County, Pa. He finally decided to abandon the law for journalism, and purchased and edited theWayne County Heraldat Honesdale, and some years later sold the plant and went to Boonville, Oneida County, N. Y., where he started theBoonville Ledgerin partnership with H. B. Beardsley. From Boonville he came to Port Jervis in 1854 and purchased theTri-States Union,which he edited until 1861. In 1862 he removed to Middletown and purchased G. J. Beebe'sMiddletown Mercury,which he and Isaac F. Guiwits made the brightest country newspaper in the United States. In 1867 he disposed of his interest in theMercuryto Isaac V. Montanye, and April 22, 1869, he and William H. Nearpass started theEvening Gazette,tri-weekly, at Port Jervis. A few years later, in company with W. H. Nearpass and I. F. Guiwits, he organized a concern known as the Franklin Printing Company, for printing "patent insides" for country newspapers, and in 1882-3 startedThe Newsat Middletown, which he sold to Charles Conkling. His later work was as correspondent for theSun, HeraldandTimes.In 1847 he married Miss Elizabeth Monson at Bethany, Pa. He died January 20, 1894, at his home in Middletown, and his remains rest in Hillside Cemetery.
GUIWITS, ISAAC F.—Shortly after Mr. Norton came to Orange County, he induced a bright young printer from "up State" to join him in Port Jervis as a journeyman, and Isaac F. Guiwits came, then a mere boy. But he had talents, and Mr. Norton knew it. Young Guiwits accompanied Mr. Norton to Middletown, and the two made theMiddletown Mercurythe great country newspaper that it became in the '60's. In 1869 Mr. Guiwits started the first daily newspaper in Middletown, theDaily Mail.Later he was connected with the Franklin Printing Company, and when that merged with the New York Newspaper Union, and became the Union Printing Company, Mr. Guiwits still retained an interest and a position, and he was sent to St. Louis and later to Kansas City to manage a branch of the concern. His wife, who was a Miss Mackey, of Middletown, died four years ago, since which time Mr. Guiwits's health has steadily declined. Three years ago he went to Los Angeles, California, where he died at the age of sixty-nine, March 25, 1908. Mr. Guiwits was one of the most graceful writers that ever adorned the Orange County press.
FRIEND, DR. JOSEPH D.—One of the able editorial writers on the Democratic papers in Middletown from about 1860 to his death in the '80's, was Dr. Joseph D. Friend. He was a regular medical practitioner, but preferred newspaper work, and many of the stirring editorials in theMercury,theMailand theArguswere from his trenchant pen. For a time he owned theMail,and when it was merged with theMercury,he became a partner with George H. Thompson, from which he retired in 1874. Dr. Friend was a genial, whole-souled man, and the writer remembers him as one who gave him encouragement, kind words, and good advice at a time when such were needed and did the most good.
NEARPASS, WILLIAM H.—William Henry Nearpass was born in Montague township, Sussex County, N. J., May 9, 1840, being the son of Michael Nearpass and Charlotte E. Stewart. He removed with his parents to Port Jervis in 1856, and attended the schools there until he was nineteen, when he embarked in mercantile pursuits which he successfully pursued until he retired from business to devote himself to journalism. With Evi Shinier he became the proprietor of theGazette,and has retained his interest in that successful publication ever since.
Mr. Nearpass has always been an active Democrat and very influential in his party's counsels, having held various village offices, and elected supervisor of the county nineteen times.
Mr. Nearpass has always enjoyed the highest esteem of his fellow citizens, for his character has ever been above reproach, while every public duty has been faithfully and ably discharged. During the many years he has been the editor of theGazette,he has never used its columns for the gratification of private spite or the furtherance of selfish interests, but has always hewed close to the Golden Rule in all his walks of life; and now the afternoon of his career finds him with a blameless life, a clear conscience, a love for his fellow mortals that no faults of others, injuries, assaults or misconceptions have ever chilled.
Mr. Nearpass was twice married, his first wife being Miss Anna W. Newman, of Brooklyn, L. I., who died in 1879. On September 8, 1881, he married Miss Josephine Westfall near Port Jervis.
DOTY, WILLIAM T.—Mr. Doty was born at Crabtree's Corner, Sussex County, N. J., March 11, 1847. His parents were Jonathan Fisk Doty and Phoebe Jane Van Wert Doty. Mr. Doty is a descendant of Edward Doten or Doty, who came over in the Mayflower and settled at Plymouth, Mass., in 1620. His mother was one of the Van Wert or Van Wart family, one of whom assisted in the capture of Major Andre. Mr. Doty received a good education in the public and best private schools of that day.
Mr. Doty's first connection with Orange County journalism was at the early age of sixteen, when he became attached to theTri-States Unionat Port Jervis, in which latter city he is yet. He afterwards became connected with theMiddletown Mercury,theBanner of Liberty,theWhig Press,theSigns of the Times,and in Col. Finch's job printing office on Franklin Square when in 1866 S. H. Sayer'sRising Sunflickered above the horizon a few times and disappeared. TheMercuryand theBanner of Libertyeach had offices in the frame building (now a brick block) next to the Holding House, on East Main street. When Isaac F. Guiwits started hisDaily Mailin 1869, Mr. Doty set type on it. He was employed on theWhig Pressin 1866, when John W. and Mrs. Lydia Hasbrouck changed its name to theOrange County Press.He was also on thePress,though not continuously, when, in 1868, it was purchased by Moses D. and Jesse Lewis Stivers. In the meantime he was employed for several months on theWarwick Advertiserwhile it was yet conducted by Elder Leonard Cox. It was not until April, 1869, that he returned to Port Jervis, this time to become foreman of theEvening Gazette,at the time James H. Norton and William H. Nearpass started that paper. Except for short intervals in Port Jervis and a few months in Warwick, he was continuously employed in the various Middletown offices from 1865 to 1869. His personal recollections of the older inhabitants of that place, and particularly of the newspaper men and women—John W. and Dr. Lydia Sayer Hasbrouck, Elder Gilbert Beebe and his sons, G. J. and Benton Beebe, James H. Norton, Isaac F. Guiwits, Hon. Moses D. Stivers, Dr. Joseph D. Friend, Hon. Isaac V. Montanye, Evander B. Willis, Gilbert Van Sciver, Elder Cox of Warwick, Coe Finch, E. Malcolm Norton, "Doxy," Charles Coleman and others, is pleasant to recall after half a century's flight of changing years. Leaving theGazette,Mr. Doty was a compositor on the New YorkTribunesoon after the present structure replaced the squatty old home of the office on Printing House Square, and when the composing-room was in the wonderful "Tall Tower" overlooking City Hall Park—which structure used to amuse theSunso much that it never tired of being facetious over the Tribune's "Tall Tower." He was also a compositor on theTimesand theWorldin those days. In 1871 he, in company with Charles St. John, Jr., and Alfred E. Spooner, bought theTri-States Union,of Port Jervis, of Foster & Mitchell. They made many changes in theUnion,and in politics they heartily supported Horace Greeley in his candidacy for the Presidency. They also issued as a campaign paperThe Woodchopper.In 1873 he associated with William H. Waller, of Monticello, in leasing theGazetteof George A. Clement. Some years later he again went to New York City, this time as printer in charge of the issuing of a little Liberal or Free Thought paper calledMan,published at 744 Broadway by Thaddeus B. Wakeman and Thoron C. Leland. Later he became reporter on the New YorkStar,then the Tammany organ, and printed at North William street just off of Chatham street (now Park Row). In the latter part of the '80's he was employed as editor of the Port JervisDaily Unionuntil 1888, when in obedience to a telegraphic offer from Morris Koch, manager of William A. Clark'sDaily Miner,he was called to Butte City, Montana, to become editor of that paper in the interests of the Montana Democrats. He went there in June of that year, and in the fall moved his family there. In the fall of 1889 he went to the Pacific Coast, with the intention of going into business in Seattle. He was accompanied by his son Vernon, and they spent some time in Portland, Salem, Tacoma, and Seattle, the lad attending school in this latter city. Unfortunately Seattle was then a city of tents, a great fire having, late in that summer, devastated the whole lower and business section of the city. In the winter of 1890 Mr. Doty returned East with his family, and became editor of the MiddletownDaily Pressunder Stivers, Slauson & Boyd. The following year he became editor of theOrange County Farmerof Port Jervis, and remained in that position until 1897, when he returned to Middletown, and associated with Horace W. Corey in the publishing of theSunday Forum.When that paper was sold to Thomas Pendell, Mr. Doty returned to Port Jervis as editor of theDaily Union,which position he occupies at this time (March, 1908).
William T. Doty and Catharine Elizabeth, the daughter of Andrew W. Dickert, of Youngsville, Warren County, Pa., were married October 6, 1875. Three children bless that union: Gwendolen, the wife of John S. Hatch, Jr., of near Scotchtown, this county; Vernon Dickert Doty, train dispatcher on the Panama R. R. at Colon; Louaine, wife of Charles A. Miller, of Midland Lake, near Middletown. A fourth child, Wentworth Doty, died in Port Jervis, March 12, 1888, aged thirteen months. There are four grandchildren: Helen and Louaine Miller, and Naomi and Llewellyn Hatch. Mr. Doty's home is at Circleville, this county, where he has a "little farm well tilled" that affords him more comfort and pleasure than all that the cities or town can offer. During his many years of residence in Port Jervis, and where his children were born, he was for twelve years a more or less active fireman and a member of Delaware Engine, and later, Hose Company No. 2, which he joined in 1863, and of which he was foreman two years. Later he was first assistant chief engineer two years, acting as chief one year, after the removal of Leopold Fuerth, the chief, to Honesdale. He is a member of Port Jervis Lodge No. 328, F. A. M., and Neversink Chapter 186, R. A. M., of which he joined the former in 1871 and the latter in 1872. He is also a member of Delaware Commandery No. 44, Knights Templar, and of Mecca Temple A. A. O. N. M. S., of New York City; past grand of Utsayantha Lodge of Odd Fellows and past chief patron of Deerpark Encampment, I. O. O. F., and was the first chancellor commander of Mount William Lodge 105, K. of P.; is a member of Orange Chapter No. 33, O. E. S., and of Port Jervis Lodge No. 645, B. P. O. Elks.
COX, ELDER LEONARD—Elder Leonard Cox came to Warwick early in the '60's as an Old School Baptist preacher and started theWarwick Advertiser.TheAdvertisernot only lives, but after 42 years of useful existence is to-day a monument to the preacher-editor's judgment, force of character and early craftsmanship. In 1868 or 1869 Mr. Cox returned to Virginia, where he is still living and editing, in connection with his son, theCharlotte Gazette,at Charlotte Court-House, Va., and still active at the age of ninety years. The writer has very pleasant personal recollections of this venerable worker, having for a time been employed in his office in Warwick as a journeyman printer.
STIVERS, HON. MOSES D.—The name of Moses Dunning Stivers deserves an important niche in the county's journalistic gallery, for, after he began to take part in newspaper work, he was an active, energetic, progressive and leading factor. He was an able writer—incisive and wonderfully effective. He was well educated, ever affable and courteous, a clean-cut gentleman. He first appeared in active connection with journalism in March, 1868, when he purchased of John W. Hasbrouck theOrange County Pressin association with his brother, Lieutenant Jesse L. Stivers. The latter was a practical printer, had twice enlisted in the army in the Civil War, and died in New York City, April 30, 1871, aged thirty years. Hon. M. D. Stivers was with thePresswhen theEvening Press(tri-weekly) was started, and later when the tri-weekly became a daily edition. He was instrumental in making it one of the leading country Republican papers of the State. Associated with him, at different times, in the business and editorial departments of the Press, were John W. Slauson, Charles J. Boyd, Albert Kessinger, and F. Stanhope Hill. In December, 1880, Mr. Stivers sold his interest in the concern to John W. Slauson, and retired.
In 1891, in conjunction with his two sons, Lewis S. and John D. Stivers, Mr. Stivers started theMiddletown Times.From the first this paper was a success, and the popularity it attained at its inception has never waned, but continued after the death of their father in February, 1895. Moses D. Stivers was born near Bennerville, Sussex County, N. J., December 30, 1828, and was the son of John Stivers and Margaret Dunning, his wife. In 1845 the family purchased and removed to the Deacon Hallock farm at Ridgebury in this county. Mr. Stivers attended both the public and private schools, finishing his education at the Ridgebury Academy, after leaving which, for several years, he taught school winters and worked his fathers farm summers.
On September 26, 1855, he married Mary Elizabeth Stewart, of Wawayanda, and then for two years kept a store at Ridgebury, and in 1859 engaged in the mercantile business in Middletown, first under the firm name of Evans & Stivers, and then under that of Stivers & Wallace. In 1864 Mr. Stivers was elected county clerk, and in 1868 he became connected with journalism by the purchase of theOrange County Press.
Mr. Stivers held several political offices besides that of county clerk, being postmaster at Ridgebury under President Pierce, was appointed collector of internal revenue in 1868 for this district, and was elected to Congress. Mr. Stivers was also active in civic affairs, being a director of the Unionville and Water Gap Railroad, a trustee of the Middletown Asylum for the Insane, and of the Hillside Cemetery; also a trustee of the Middletown Savings Bank. He also took a keen interest in firemanic affairs, and filled the highest offices in the lodges of the Free Masons and Odd Fellows.
Mr. Stivers was a man of strong personality, indomitable will-power, and diplomatic and statesmanlike qualities, which made him a commanding figure in Orange County politics and journalism.
ST. JOHN, CHARLES.—When he was in the work there was no more enthusiastic or energetic newspaper man in Orange County than Charles St. John, Jr., the founder of the Port JervisDaily Union(1873), and theNew York Farmer(1881). He entered the journalistic field in 1871 in company with W. T. Doty and A. E. Spooner, when the three purchased theTri-States Unionat Port Jervis. For years he was more or less active in the work, and retained an interest in theUnionand theFarmer,until October, 1907, when his partner and brother-in-law, Fred R. Salmon, purchased his entire interest in the two papers. While Mr. St. John could write energetically and with much effect, it was as an organizer, solicitor and business hustler that he shone brightest. Mr. St. John was a graduate of the famous old Mt. Retirement Seminary in Sussex County, N. J., near Deckertown, and of the Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie. He was born in Port Jervis, August 30, 1849, a son of Hon. Charles St. John, of Port Jervis, and Ellen S. Thompson, of near Marlboro, Ulster County. The St. Johns were an old family, that early came from Connecticut to New York State, and nearly a century ago Stephen St. John came to Port Jervis and purchased nearly all the land where Port Jervis now stands. In 1870 Charles St. John, Jr., married Miss Mary Salmon at Honesdale, Pa., a daughter of Conductor Charles M. Salmon and Jeannette Russell.
FOWLER, ERWIN GALLATIN.—Erwin Gallatin Fowler, who started theSunday Callin Port Jervis, and for several years edited theDaily Unionand theOrange County Farmer,was born at Walden, N. Y., November 28, 1837, and died April 3, 1904. His parents were Charles Fowler and Millie Ann Lehman. He attended the schools at Walden, became a teacher, enlisted in the Duryea Zouaves, went to the front in the Civil War and became first lieutenant. After the war he was employed in Newburgh for a while, part of the time on theJournal.In 1870 he removed to Huguenot, and in 1872 became connected with thePort Jervis Union.Later he started theSunday Call,and was called hence to Middletown to edit theDaily Press.September 8, 1881, he became editor of theOrange County Farmer,just started, and remained with this paper until he and John J. Dillon bought the ElmiraHusbandman,going thence to theRural New-Yorkerand later to theAmerican Agriculturist.The last work that he did in the editorial line was as editor of theOrange County Farmer,when fatal illness stilled forever his able pen. During the World's Fair at Chicago in 1893 he had charge of the New York horticultural exhibit. Mr. Fowler, in addition to his editorial work, interested himself considerably in musical matters, and was president of the Orange County Musical Union. As a writer Mr. Fowler was able, ready, and facile. His homilies were not long-drawn-out, but were wonderfully effective, and his descriptive powers were fine. He had an extensive knowledge of agricultural matters, and when in charge of theOrange County Farmerput that paper on a high plane, and made it popular and its circulation grew to large proportions. Personally, Mr. Fowler was genial, the soul of good-nature, philanthropic and benevolent to the last degree. Mr. Fowler and Miss Fannie F. Dunning were married March 19, 1862.
MOTT, ED. H.—Though not directly connected with Orange County journalism, Ed. H. Mott, the well-known writer and correspondent of the New YorkSun,was for a time, in 1871, editor of theGazette,and after that theDaily Unionat Port Jervis. Mr. Mott was too restless to be tied down to the drudgery of the daily grind on a newspaper, and in time he found himself in the regular employ of the New YorkSun,with a desk in that office, grinding out Pike County tale's and character delineations that brought him notoriety and shekels galore. He is at present located in Goshen, and yet writing for the New YorkSun.He also wrote a history of the Erie Railroad, which is valuable and a high-priced production. Mr. Mott is a gifted writer. His witticisms, character sketches, and stories generally are original, unique, and clever.
VAN FREDENBERG, HENRY ABSALOM—One of the ablest writers in the State to-day; one who has such command of words that they are as playthings to a child; a remarkable linguist; mathematician, botanist, chemist, geologist, and all-round naturalist, with abilities which his own modesty and lack of self-appreciation prevent him from fully recognizing—is the genius who is doing editorial work on an Orange County paper to-day. The writer of these lines has for many years known the gentleman, worked side by side with him, tried to fathom the depth and height, the breadth and length of his marvelous mentality. While it is a pleasure to make record of these facts, it is done with hesitation for fear of misconception, misconstruction, and misinterpretation. Henry Absalom Van Fredenberg was born in the town of Montague, Sussex County, N. J., December 30, 1849. His parents were the late Aaron Van Fredenberg and Marie De Witt Van Fredenberg. His parents, in 1850, moved from Montague, N. J., to Sparrowbush, N. Y., where his youth was passed. He was educated in the public schools and in Professor A. B. Wilbur's seminary in Port Jervis, and at an early age became a school teacher. He taught in Sparrowbush, Sanfordville, Mount Hope, Otisville, Slate Hill, and Deckertown (now Sussex), N. J. In Deckertown he became interested in journalism and edited theSussex Independentfor several years. He edited the Port JervisDaily Union,the Washington (N. J.)Star,and the Mauch Chunk (Pa.)Coal GazetteandDaily Timesin succession. In 1885 he went to Buffalo, N. Y., where he served as editor-in-chief of theLumber World, Milling World, The American Tanner,theIron Industry Gazette,theAmerican Woodworker,and theFactory and Dealers' Supply World.In that city he served as associate editor ofThe Magazine of Poetry,now merged withPoet Lore,of Boston, Mass. In 1898 he returned to Orange County, making his home in Sparrowbush. Mr. Van Fredenberg succeeded the late Erwin G. Fowler as editor of theOrange County Farmerin 1899 (now theNew York Farmer), and is in that position at this date (March, 1908), making theNew York Farmeran authority on all dairy matters, and quoted extensively wherever dairy interests have an intelligent force.
STIVERS, LEWIS STEWART—Lewis Stewart Stivers was born in the town of Wawayanda, Orange County, April 20, 1859, the oldest son of Hon. Moses D. and Mary Elizabeth Stewart Stivers. After his parents removed to Middletown he attended the public schools in that city and the Wallkill Academy, and then entered Peekskill Military Academy, from which he graduated in 1876. On concluding his studies, he entered the office of theMiddletown Press,of which his father was then editor and part owner and in 1891 he and his brother, John D. Stivers, began the publication of theMiddletown Daily Timesand theOrange County Times,the latter a semi-weekly issue. He was united in marriage, in Middletown, with Miss Cora D. Mackey, daughter of John Mackey, who, for many years, was connected with the Orange County Foundry Company. Mr. Stivers died October 30, 1905, deeply lamented by everyone who knew him, for he was the soul of honor, the friend of all; courteous, amiable, generous.
SLAUSON, JOHN WHITING—Many bright minds have been engaged in the field of Orange County journalism. It is not vaunting to say that one of the keenest of these was he who made his entrance into active newspaper life October 15, 1872, by the purchase of theOrange CountyPress of Stivers & Kessinger at Middletown, and under him thePress,already influential and highly respected, became one of the leading Republican journals of the State. Mr. Slauson remained with thePressthirty-three years, associating in its management with F. Stanhope Hill one year, the Hon. Moses D. Stivers seven years, and Charles J. Boyd twenty-five years, retiring from the printing business in 1906. In all these years thePressproperty became very valuable, owning one of the finest locations in Middletown, and conducted in such a manner that it was a positive pleasure to be employed therein. Mr. Slauson is a writer of ability, using the choicest language in diction, structure in phrasing, and style enriched with the higher graces of composition. John Whiting Slauson was born September 18, 1846, in the town of Greenville, this county. His father was David Slauson, and his mother was Antoinette, daughter of John Whiting, a member of a prominent Connecticut family. Mr. Slauson attended the Westtown Academy and the Dolbear School for Young Men in New York City, and at the age of twenty began teaching in the public schools of the county, and after filling an unexpired term as school commissioner of the Second District of Orange County, he purchased an interest in thePressand thenceforth devoted himself to journalism. In 1875 Mr. Slauson married Miss Olivia, daughter of Horatio R. Wilcox, of Middletown. For over twenty-five years Mr. Slauson has been a member of the New York State Press Association, was one of its vice-presidents in 1894, and is still an active member of the Republican Editorial Association of this State.
Mr. Slauson's reputation for fair dealing and steady adherence to the principles of the Golden Rule in all relations of life, have earned for him the merited esteem of his townsmen generally, and the highest regard of those who know him best—a pleasure falling to the writer many years ago, and he cherishes the friendship thus formed as one of the pleasantest incidents in his life.
MACARDELL, CORNELIUS—An important factor in Orange County journalism entered when Cornelius Macardell came, and a distinct loss when he passed away. He founded theDaily Argusin 1876 at Middletown and in 1878 consolidated theArgusandMercury.In 1896 he turned the control of the paper over to his son, Cornelius, and his official connection with journalism ceased from that date.
Cornelius Macardell was born at Darien, Georgia, October 24, 1837, the son of Cornelius and Rebecca Campbell Macardell, and returned with his family to New York in 1841. He was educated in the public schools of Brooklyn, and then, after a few years of reporting for the city papers, became interested in a newspaper venture in New Orleans. In 1861 he came North, entered Wall street, New York, and in 1866 became a member of the Stock Exchange. A few years later he retired from the street and bought a farm near Mount Hope in Orange County. In 1877 be again became active in Wall street, but he sold out his seat in the Stock Exchange a number of years ago. For years Mr. Macardell was interested in banking in Middletown, and was elected president of the First National Bank in 1891. He was also interested in many ways with other business institutions in Middletown, and his business life was full of activities. In 1860 Mr. Macardell married Esther, daughter of Oliver and Penelope Crawford, of near Middletown. Mr. Macardell died April 9. 1904, lamented by everyone who knew the genial, kindly old gentleman.
THOMPSON, GEORGE H.—An able journalist of the fourth generation in Orange County was George H. Thompson, whose work began on theMiddletown Mercuryabout 1873. He was educated at Williams College, had a good style in writing, and was one of the brightest and most satirical writers in the county. He also made a good editor and until his death, a few years ago, kept the columns of theArgusand theMercuryalive with his bright sayings and well-rounded sentences. Mr. Thompson was at one time president of the Board of Education of Middletown, and for a short time was postmaster under President Cleveland. His wife was a daughter of Colonel D. C. Dusenberry, but both have passed away, leaving one daughter, Maysie Thompson.
WINCHESTER, REV. CHARLES M.—About 1874 the Rev. Charles M. Winchester, who came to Middletown from one of the New England States to preach temperance and the Gospel according to the Free Christian Church, started theStandard,an afternoon paper, and forthwith engaged in newspaper work of the most lively character. To say that affairs grew hot in Middletown for a year or two, is to state facts very moderately. Mr. Winchester was bubbling over with his ideas of theology, temperance and morals, and his powers of invective seemed unlimited. He preached Sundays and through the week in tents and other places, and hurled his javelins of wit, of satire, of denunciation, of imprecation, and execration orally from the pulpit, and daily through his paper. TheStandardwas finally purchased by theMercurypeople, and Mr. Winchester went to New York, where he died a year or two ago.
SALMON, FRED R.—Fred R. Salmon, the present business manager of theNew York Farmerand the Port JervisDaily UnionandTri-States Unionplants, was born at Susquehanna, Pa., January 18, 1858. His parents were Charles M. and Jeannette Russell Salmon. The family removed to Port Jervis and then to Honesdale, in both of which places Mr. Salmon attended schools, graduating from the Honesdale High School. He entered the office of the Port JervisUnionin April, 1877, as bookkeeper for his brother-in-law, Charles St. John. In 1884 he entered into partnership with Mr. St. John under the firm name of St. John & Salmon. In 1895 they organized the Tri-States Publishing Company, as its sole owners. This concern continued until October 1, 1907, when Mr. Salmon purchased Mr. St. John's interest, and became the sole owner of the stock. October 6, 1889, Mr. Salmon married Miss Flora Dunning, daughter of Joseph and Clara Owen Dunning, of near Middletown. For several years Mr. Salmon was secretary of the Republican County Committee and prominent in the councils of his party. He is now a member of the Civil Service Commission of the new city of Port Jervis; is a member of the Board of Education; is trustee of the First Presbyterian Church, and a trustee of the Port Jervis Board of Trade.
DRAKE, FRANK M.—The present editor of the GoshenIndependent Republicanis Frank Drake, who became connected therewith as part owner January 1, 1883, and sole owner in March, 1892. Mr. Drake is a practical printer, an able writer, and is a "worthy son of a worthy sire." His father was Victor M. Drake, one of the Nestors of Orange County journalism, and the son is giving in the semi-weekly issues of hisIndependent Republicanevidence that the "journalistic instincts" of the father have descended to the son. He is a Democrat of the conservative type; is sprightly in his treatment of all subjects, and deftly sprinkles a bit of attic salt in much of the palatable literary provender that he sets before his readers. Mr. Drake was born at Newton, N. J., in 1855, and after his school days he entered the office of theIndependent Republican,after his parents removed to Goshen, and became an apprentice in 1874, at the age of nineteen years. He never found it necessary or advisable to migrate, and it is fitting that he should find his life work in the very office in which the genius of his gifted father for so many long years was exercised for the public good. Mr. Drake is unmarried.
KETCHUM, GEORGE F.—With the establishment at Warwick in 1885 of theWarwick Valley Dispatchthere entered the arena of Orange County journalism a champion who has proven his right to become a leader. George F. Ketchum, who founded theDispatch,is the son of the late George W. Ketchum and Elizabeth Strang Wright. George F. Ketchum has made hisDispatchthe leading Democratic paper in the county, by reason of his unquestioned honesty of purpose, his fearless but always fair and courteous advocacy of principles which he believed conducive to the public weal, his persistent, aggressive efforts, and his fair treatment of all opponents. Mr. Ketchum has been for more than a decade the chairman of the Democratic County Committee—a position that he has not held through mere favoritism, but by reason of the force of character and the indomitable energy that has characterized his whole public career.
BOYD, CHARLES J.—About 1880 Charles J. Boyd became interested in newspaper work through partnership with John W. Slauson, under the the name of Slauson & Boyd, as publishers of theMiddletown Press.Mr. Boyd remained with thePressuntil it was merged with theTimesin 1906, when he retired from the work, to engage in insurance and real estate business. Mr. Boyd was a first-class newspaper man in every particular. He wrote a good article, had neat descriptive powers, good judgment, clear discernment and discrimination, and his work was ever in evidence on the Press. It would seem that one so clever, so well endowed by nature for newspaper work, should have remained in the field. Mr. Boyd was supervisor of his ward for a number of years, and made one of the most efficient members of the county legislature. He was also by appointment one of the Prison Commissioners of the State.
STIVERS, JOHN D.—In 1891 John D. Stivers entered actively into journalistic duties, though he had been connected therewith more or less all his life. In that year theMiddletown Timescame into existence, and he became its normal editor. Since the lamented death of his father, the Hon. Moses D. Stivers, in February, 1895, John D. Stivers has been the real head and front of the establishment. Mr. Stivers is a young man who deservedly stands well with his party and the public. Through its well-written editorials, its daily supply of the local and general news served in the most concise and acceptable manner, theTimesis a power in politics and in general thought that needs to be reckoned with by politicians and caterers to the public in any form whatever. John Dunning Stivers was born August 30, 1861, at Middletown, N. Y., the second son of the Hon. Moses D. and Mary Elizabeth Stewart Stivers. He attended the public schools of Middletown and Wallkill Academy, where the rudiments of his education were obtained, and later Peekskill Military Academy, from which institution he was graduated in 1878, at the age of seventeen years. He then began his journalistic career, entering the office of the MiddletownPressas bookkeeper and later filling the position of city editor. Resigning from thePress,Mr. Stivers became private secretary to his father, the Hon. Moses D. Stivers, during his term as Member of Congress from this district. Upon the latter's retirement from office, John D. Stivers returned to Middletown, and, with his brother, Lewis S. Stivers, established theMiddletown Times.After the death of his father, he was elected to take the latter's place as trustee of the Orange County Trust Company. Mr. Stivers was appointed a member of the Board of Managers of the Middletown State Hospital by Governor Morton, and was secretary of the Board for several years, and until the reorganization of the asylum management throughout the State by Governor Odell.
NICKINSON, ALBERT E.—Albert E. Nickinson, the present treasurer and general business manager of the MiddletownArgusandMercury,was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 8, 1863. He was a son of John Nickinson and Elizabeth J. Phillips. Albert E. was educated in the public schools of Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and Suffern, N. Y. He entered the employ of theArgusandMercuryin 1888, remained until 1901, and returned to the office upon its reorganization as a new company in 1906. Mr. Nickinson is a good business man, and when necessary can wield a descriptive pen. On November 28, 1889, Mr. Nickinson and Miss Penelope Macardell were married.
SPEIDEL, MERRITT C.—The present efficient associate business manager of the Port JervisDaily Union, Tri-States UnionandNew York Farmeris Merritt C. Speidel. He was born May 19, 1879, in Port Jervis, son of Martin and Hannah M. Patterson Speidel, members of well-known Deerpark families. During his student days he frequently wrote for the local newspapers, and on October 25, 1897, he became employed in the business department of the Tri-States Publishing Company, and several months later became reporter for the Port JervisDaily Union,and then successively city editor, associate editor, and editor. January 1, 1904, he became associate business manager of the Tri-States Publishing Co., and in January, 1908, became secretary and a director of the company. Mr. Speidel, though a young man, has been much identified with local public affairs and is now serving his seventh year as secretary of the Port Jervis Board of Trade; is one of the Health Commissioners; is president of the Deerpark organization of the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle.
POWERS, HENRY P.—Henry P. Powers, city editor and desk man of the MiddletownDaily Argusand semi-weeklyMercury,was born at Groton, Tompkins County, N. Y., June 30, 1857, a son of Jacob B. Powers and Nancy G. Bouton. He early developed a love for the printing trade and entered the office of theGroton Journal,when a lad, as apprentice, serving there seven years, and about eighteen years ago he came into Orange County and located at Middletown. For a year and a half he was employed as city editor of the MiddletownDaily Press.In January, 1903, he became reporter for and then city editor of theDaily Argus.Mr. Powers is a thoroughly good newspaper man; active, reliable, a ready writer, of good discrimination, and he is a valuable addition to Orange County journalism. Mr. Powers was twice married. His first wife died at Groton twenty-two years ago. His second wife was Miss Minnie L. Hill, daughter of John W. Hill, of Middletown.
GREGG, GEORGE F.—In January, 1903, George F. Gregg, in company with John B. Scott, became part owner of theGoshen Democrat,and September 1, 1905, he became sole owner of the same. To say that he has made theDemocrata bright, newsy, weekly paper is to express the fact mildly but justly. He is a vigorous writer, with a fervor and animation that is born of the intensity of earnestness and zeal, and he is surely making theDemocratread by friends and political foes. In 1906 Mr. Gregg was elected supervisor of the town of Goshen, and again in 1907, and brings to this public office the same earnestness, push and capacity that characterizes his work as an editor. Mr. Gregg is yet a young man, and he is in a fair way to be one of the leaders of thought and action in Orange County. George F. Gregg was born at Walden, N. Y., April 30, 1875. His parents were Edgar M. Gregg, of Walden, and Rose L. Faron, of Corning, N. Y. His education was at the public schools. He passed several years in Chenango County, this State. For a short time he was connected with the advertising department of the New YorkTimes.He was also in the Ordnance Department of the United States Navy, in the naval magazine at Fort Lafayette. Mr. Gregg seemed to have an "intuitive leaning" to journalistic work, for in addition to his service on the New YorkTimes,we find he was fifteen years in newspaper work, several of which were in the office of the "now esteemed contemporary," theIndependent Republican.For two years he was city editor of theMiddletown Argus,immediately prior to purchasing an interest in theGoshen Democrat.The good work he is doing in the columns of that old paper, and the esteem in which he is held by the people of Goshen, as shown by his being twice chosen as supervisor of the town, is evidence that he has found his life's work and its field. Mr. Gregg and Miss Jane A. Brundage, of Newark, N. J., were married July 11, 1900.
TAFT, LYMAN H.—One of the most thoroughly independent editors in the county is Lyman H. Taft, of the MontgomeryStandard-Reporter,who was born December 5, 1865, at Oneida Valley, Madison County, N. Y. His father was Thomas J. Taft, and his mother was Jane Baum, whose father, Rev. John Baum, was a Methodist minister at Mendenville, N. Y. The parents went to the Pennsylvania oil country, when Lyman was but three months old, and settled at Warren, Pa. He attended the Warren high school, leaving the same to enter the office of the WarrenLedger(1877), where he served an apprenticeship of three years, and then traveled over the country, working as a journeyman printer, and visited forty States of the Union. September 1, 1888, he arrived at Montgomery, purchased theRecorderand in 1898 theStandard,and consolidated the two papers under the title of theStandard and Reporter.
MacGOWAN, HORACE A.—Horace A. MacGowan, city editor of the MiddletownDaily Argus,was born January 7, 1877, near Circleville, this county, a son of John Nelson and Julia Woodruff MacGowan, and of Scotch ancestry. His parents removed to Middletown when Horace was but four years of age, and he attended the schools until thirteen years of age, when (July, 1891) he entered the employ of the MiddletownDaily Press,where he remained fifteen years. When thePresswas merged with theTimes,Mr. MacGowan, February 1, 1906, became city editor of the MiddletownDaily Argus,which position he still holds. Mr. MacGowan has time and again proven his capability as a good writer and newspaper man by work of recognized merit. April 23, 1903, he married Miss Elizabeth Tappan, daughter of Mrs. Catherine Tappan, of Middletown.
MACARDELL, CORNELIUS, JR.—Cornelius Macardell was educated in the public schools of Middletown, and entered the office of theArgusin 1891, becoming publisher of theArgusandMercuryin 1896, and continuing in that capacity until the formation of the corporation in March, 1906. He is president of the Argus and Mercury Company.
RICHARDS, MARK V.—The city editor of the Port JervisGazettesince 1905 is Mark V. Richards, an industrious, alert reporter, a descriptive writer, and a conscientious, painstaking worker. Mr. Richards was born in Port Jervis, February 24, 1880, the son of David S. and Martha Isadore Bunting Richards. Mark V. Richards graduated from the Port Jervis High School, June 24, 1898. He began newspaper work, January 2, 1897, as a paper carrier for theGazette.In the year and a half thus employed he was constantly picking up bits of news for theGazette,often writing them out in such readable form that he attracted the attention of Editors Nearpass and Bennet, with the result that at the first opportunity he was engaged as reporter for theGazette.This work he began in September, 1898, and continued until 1905, when he became city editor. July 7, 1903, he married Miss Bertha E. Lobb, of Honesdale, Pa.
SHIMER, EVI—The present business manager of the Port JervisGazetteis Evi Shimer. He has held that position since April 1, 1886. Mr. Shimer was born December 8, 1860, on the old Shimer homestead in Montague, Sussex County, N. J. His parents were Abram and Adaline Cuddeback Shimer. When Evi was about seven years of age, the family moved to Port Jervis, where he attended the public schools. Later he graduated from the Binghamton Business College. After that he was ten years in the wholesale hardware business in New York City. April 1, 1886, he returned to Port Jervis and became business manager of theGazetteestablishment, which position he still holds. Mr. Shimer was for four years one of the trustees of the village of Port Jervis. In November, 1888, Mr. Shimer and Miss Susan A. Donaldson were married.
BROWN, MELVIN H.—The present city editor of the MiddletownTimes-Pressis Melvin Halstead Brown, an alert worker and ready writer. He was born at Otisville, N. Y., December 25, 1867, a son of Orville and Emeline Ketcham Brown. Melvin H. attended the public schools at Paterson, N. J., and later in Middletown and the Wallkill Academy. He learned the printer's trade in theArgusoffice, beginning at the age of fifteen years. When the MiddletownTimeswas started he became a compositor thereon, later foreman of the composing room, and twelve years ago became a reporter, which position, and that of city editor, he has since filled. His wife was Miss Anaina, daughter of Alderman and Mrs. George Miller.
RUSSELL, ALEXANDER W.—One of the ablest editorial writers on the country press of to-day is the young man who is on the staff of the MiddletownTimes-Press,Alexander W. Russell. He is alert to events of local as well as of State, national and international importance, and treats them in a most able manner, in language that is choice, pleasing and expressive. Mr. Russell was born at New Berlin, Chenango County, N. Y., April 14, 1865. His parents were Edward and Elinor Tillinghast Russell. He learned the trade of a printer in the office of the BrookfieldCourier,at Brookfield, Madison County, N. Y. Later, he attended Hobart College at Geneva, N. Y., leaving there in 1886, to become city editor of the OneidaUnion,Oneida, N. Y., which position he filled for ten years, at the end of which time he became city editor of the Brockton, Mass.,Gazette,where he remained two years. Soon after this he came to Middletown, N. Y., where he has since remained, and has been on theTimes-Presseditorial staff since 1906.
MACARDELL, ABRAM B.—Abram Bennet Macardell, the editor of theArgusandMercury,and vice-president and secretary of the Argus and Mercury Publishing Company, was born at Mount Hope, this county, a son of Cornelius and Esther Crawford Macardell. In January, 1886, the family removed to Middletown, and he was educated in the public schools there and graduated from Wallkill Academy in 1897, a member of the last class to graduate from that time-honored and historic institution, which, after that year, became the Middletown High School. He entered Hamilton College and graduated in 1901. In November, 1902, he entered theArgusoffice and succeeded George H. Thompson as editor at his death in May, 1904. He was active in the formation of the Argus and Mercury Company in March, 1906. Mr. Macardell is an easy, graceful writer, and, while "young in the harness," is doing good editorial work.
STAGE, ALBERT L.—The present city editor of the Port JervisDaily Unionis Albert Louis Stage. He was born in the town of Lumberland, Sullivan County, N. Y., June 8, 1876. His parents were Albert and Caroline Cowen Stage. He attended the public schools at Barryville, N. Y., and Equinunk, Pa., qualified himself for teaching, and for several years was thus engaged in the public schools at Blooming Grove, Greeley, Mast Hope, and Flagstone, Pa. Later, for a time, he was a salesman for Rand, McNally & Co., educational and book publishers, of New York City. During 1904 he was employed in the wholesale house of E. P. & E. Kinney, spices, coffees, teas and groceries, in Binghamton, N. Y. In March, 1905, he became city editor of the Port JervisUnion,which position he has since most acceptably filled.
STIVERS, DR. MOSES A.—Moses Asby Stivers was born in Middletown, November 14, 1872, the youngest son of the Hon. Moses D. and Mary Elizabeth Stewart Stivers. He graduated in the Middletown schools, and became bookkeeper in the MiddletownTimeswhen it was first started. Later he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City in 1894. Dr. Stivers is a practicing physician in Middletown, is connected with Thrall Hospital, and is now secretary and treasurer of the Stivers Printing Company, of which his brother, John D. Stivers, is president, printing theDaily Times-Press.He is a young man of superior mental qualities and ever amiable and courteous.
CALLED ELSEWHERE.
Among the newspaper men, aside from those already mentioned, who have come and gone—some to their final reward, others to new or different fields of labor—who were more or less important actors on this stage of life's industry, were some who were peculiarly adapted to journalistic work and had rendered highly satisfactory service in their day. Among such were:
HOLBROOK, DANIEL—Daniel Holbrook, who, in 1862, bought theTri-States Unionin Port Jervis—a college graduate, a linguist, scholar, and able writer, a native of Boston. After less than a decade of newspaper work, he sold the plant, and has since been engaged in the real estate and insurance business in Port Jervis, and is now justice of the peace and police justice in the city of Port Jervis.
SLAWSON, WILLIAM G.—William G. Slawson was, in the '70's, one of the liveliest reporters that ever labored in Middletown, and he kept the columns of thePressteeming with his clever work. He has been for several years in other work, lately at Cleveland, Ohio.
SHIER, JAMES J.—James J. Shier, a graduate of the MiddletownMercury and Argus,was city editor there some time, and in the '80's went to Port Jervis and secured an interest in theGazette,where he remained until he died, June 2, 1893.
HELLER, BURRELL—An old Milford and Port Jervis printer and a good writer and reporter was Burrell Heller, who died late in the '80's. He was employed in various capacities on the Port Jervis papers, latterly as reporter on the Port JervisGazette.
YOUNG, CHARLES O.—Charles O. Young, of Port Jervis, admitted to the bar as a lawyer in the '80's, son of the late Oliver Young (a prominent lawyer of Port Jervis), edited the Port JervisDaily Unionseveral years. He is a most accomplished writer, highly educated, a scholar, a linguist, and a man of high literary tastes. He prefers literature to law, and the Port Jervis papers are occasionally favored with emanations from his gifted pen.
WILLIS, EVANDER B.—Evander B. Willis appeared in Middletown early in the '60's, and learned the printer's trade, later becoming an expert stenographer, then reporter and editor, and for a time conducted the MiddletownMail.He was born at Unionville. Early in the '70's he went to California and became court stenographer.
BENNET, JAMES—One of the men who figured prominently in the western end of orange County newspaper circles for about a quarter of a century was James Bennet, of Port Jervis. He was a good newspaper man and had a knack for seeing the droll side of events and for putting the same into print, and some of his "yarns" were extremely witty. Mr. Bennet is the youngest son of James and Sarah Westfall Bennet, and he was born at Carpenter's Point (now Tri-States, and a part of the Fourth Ward of the city of Port Jervis). James Bennet graduated at the famous old Mount Retirement Seminary in Sussex County, N. J., near Deckertown (now Sussex), in 1863. He studied medicine two years, and abandoned the same to go into the flour and feed business in Port Jervis. In 1886 he accepted a position in the business and editorial department of the Port JervisGazette,and became associate editor. In 1889 he went with theUnion,remaining there fifteen months, and then returned to his former position with theGazette,where he remained until 1906, when he resigned to go into the insurance business—the retreat of so many old newspaper men. His wife was Alice Stiles, daughter of the late Edward A. Stiles, for so many useful years the principal and proprietor of the Mount Retirement Seminary.