JOSEPH DURLAND was born on the Durland homestead, now occupied by his brother, Samuel S. Durland, March 16, 1832. He received his education at Chester Academy and at Bloomfield, N. J. He began business life as a clerk in Masterson's store at West Chester when a young man. He was a partner with his stepfather, James Durland, at Chester Mills, for some time. On February 1, 1859, he purchased the interest of James J. Board in the old store conducted under the name, Board, Pierson & Co. This new firm of Pierson, Bell & Durland continued at the old store until February, 1862, when his brother, Samuel S. Durland, was admitted into partnership with him, the other members of the firm having sold to them their interest. For ten years this partnership of the brothers continued successfully and then S. S. Durland retired from the business and Joseph continued as sole proprietor until 1855, when Frank Durland, his son, purchased an interest in the business and the firm name became Durland & Son. This relation continued until February 1, 1908, when he sold his interest to Frank Durland, the present proprietor, having completed 49 years of business life in the old store.
During all his business career Joseph Durland has been a wise counselor for his fellow citizens in business and political matters. This has been possible through his knowledge gained by keen observation and opportunities for travel which have enabled him to visit and study business conditions in nearly every state in the Union. For a number of years he has served as trustee of the savings banks at Warwick and Goshen, and also as a director of the Durland Trust Co., of Norfolk, Nebraska. For twenty years he has served as a director of the Chester National Bank, and for two years was its president and is at present its vice-president. He was the first Republican supervisor for the town of Chester and served in 1867 and 1868. He was influential in establishing the present Union free school, and in 1869 was elected clerk of the first Board of Education of Chester, which position he held for seven years. He strongly urged the incorporation of the village of Chester in November, 1898, and was a member of its first board of trustees. When the question of water for the village arose he served on the board of water commissioners which introduced the present system of water supply. In offices of trust, he has served as executor and administrator of many estates. In 1855 he united with the Presbyterian Church, of which he and Mrs. Durland are still active members. He was elected to the office of deacon in this church in 1889, and since 1890 has continued to serve the church of his choice as an elder. He was married February 25, 1857, to Nancy Kingsland Board, daughter of Major James J. Board. The fiftieth anniversary of this happy event was fittingly celebrated. The children of this marriage now living are two sons, James Board, who married Sarah Andrews, and Frank, who married Mary B. Sanford, and two daughters, Amelia Vernon, and Nettie Eugenia, wife of William T. Moffatt of New York City. One daughter, Marion, died May 21, 1903.
J. SEELY DURLAND was born in New York City, March 15, 1856. He is a son of Oscar and Matilda C. Durland. Mr. Durland's father was engaged in the milk business in New York City, later removing to Chester, N. Y., purchasing the Marvin property, about two miles from Chester. Here he developed a natural love for the country and has remained a farmer. J. Seely Durland received his education at the district school and Chester Academy, he married Fannie R. Hunter, of Monroe, October 26, 1894, and two children have been born to them, Anna T., living, and Stanley, who died in 1895. Mr. Durland is a member of the Chester Grange, and in politics a Republican.
JOHN E. DURYEA, son of Samuel C. and Emily (Tuthill) Duryea, was born September 6, 1840, on the farm in the town of Crawford which his father had purchased in 1838. He assisted his father in the management of the farm until he removed to Pine Bush in November, 1905.
Mr. Duryea's paternal ancestors were French Huguenots. Joost Duryea, the founder of the family in America, came to Long Island from Holland in 1675, and from Jamaica, Queens County, Yost or George, our subject's great-great-grandfather, came to Orange County and settled in the town of Blooming Grove, of which he was a pioneer. He died in 1760 and was buried at Greycourt. His son, George, during the Revolution, was in active service in the cavalry department of the Colonial Army. He married Miss Hannah Hudson, of Goshen. Five sons and four daughters were born to them, of whom John, grandfather of our subject, married in 1800, Mary, daughter of Samuel and Jeannette (McCurdy) Crawford, of the town of Montgomery. They settled on a farm near Bloomingburg in the town of Wallkill. Six children were born, of whom Samuel C. was the youngest.
John E. Duryea married, in 1863, Miss Jane Frances Hunter, who died in 1883, leaving four daughters, Emily C., Mary F., Edna H., Anna Z. Politically Mr. Duryea is a Republican and has occupied a prominent place in public affairs. He was justice of the peace twelve years and justice of sessions four years. Socially he is identified with the Masonic fraternity.
SAMUEL T. DUSENBERRY, assistant postmaster at Tuxedo Park, N. Y., was born at Stony Ford, Orange County, in 1873. He is a son of William B. and S. E. (Wallace) Dusenberry. He received his education at the schools of Goshen. In 1899 Mr. Dusenberry came to Tuxedo and accepted the appointment of assistant postmaster. Socially he is identified with Standard Lodge, No. 711, F. & A. M. He married Miss Leonor Clark, of Monroe. N. Y. They have one child, William Wallace.
JOHN L. D. EAGER,has been engaged in the hide and tallow business at Montgomery since 1875. He was born in Walden in 1850. A son of Isaac L. and Fannie M. (Bodine) Eager. At the age of twenty he entered the employ of Homer Ramsdell & Co., of Newburgh, where he remained eight years. On returning to Montgomery he engaged in the coal business, also conducting his hide and tallow establishment. Mr. Eager has served as police justice twenty years and justice of the peace sixteen years. He now has charge of the pumping station of the Montgomery Water Works. He married Miss Emma Decker in 1876 and three sons have been born to them, Leonard, Clarence and Ray. Leonard is now in charge of his father's hide and tallow plant. He had previously been employed as engineer at Randall's Island and engineer for the firm of Tiffany & Co., New York.
JOSEPH C. EAGER was born August 21, 1859, on a farm near Hamptonburgh, where he now resides. His father, Joseph Case Eager, died in 1903. He had been a town justice of the peace for thirty years, and from his dairy farm of 150 acres was one of the first shippers of milk to the New York market over the Erie Railroad. Besides Joseph there was a daughter, Caroline, who married Cornelius Zabriskie, of Newark, N. J. Joseph's education in the district school was supplemented by a course in the private boarding school of Prof. S. S. Hartwell, of Unionville, N. J. From this he returned to the farm, which has always been his home. Since 1890 he has been station agent at Hamptonburgh for the Lehigh and Hudson Railroad, and also conducted a feed business at the same station. He followed the political inclinations of his father and has been one of the active Democrats of his town.
WILLIAM CASE EAGER, the descendant of one of the first settlers of the county, was born December 9, 1865, in Warwick, and died suddenly as the result of an accident, February 11, 1904. His parents were William C. and Mary C. Eager, whose children were this one son and four daughters, Mary L., Jennie, Belle and Fannie. The father, William C. Eager, Sr., died in 1878, April 18th. The subject of our sketch acquired his early education in the Warwick school, remaining in school until 19 years of age. He then entered the general store which was managed and owned by his mother until he reached the age of 21, at which time he assumed control of the store and managed it successfully until his death. In 1899 he married Hattie J. Aldrich, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Still, of Warwick. He was one of the most popular young men of Warwick, having a warm heart, a sunny nature and much natural magnetism, seasoned with genial humor and entire honesty. It was said of him that he had not one enemy, and was esteemed by the people of all classes. He was fond of athletic sports and all lively diversions. He was pitcher in the champion baseball team, a leading official in the Warwick Athletic Association, an enthusiastic hunter and fisher and lover of wild nature, liked music and was at one time a player in the village band. He was so good and popular a fireman that he rose to be foreman of Excelsior Hose and then to be chief of the fire department, to which he was elected three times and refused to be reelected. He was once elected town collector, and once nominated for president of the village, but resolutely declined the nomination.
On the day of his funeral all the business places in the village were closed, the whole fire department and the members of the Warwick Club attended in a body, and one of the largest gatherings ever seen in the Reformed church listened to the funeral services.
His earliest ancestor in Orange County lived on a farm near what is now called Neelytown, and some of his ancestors still reside there. His great uncle was Samuel W. Eager, the first historian of the county.
THOMAS HORTON EASTON was born January 25, 1853, on the homestead farm near Otisville. He attended the district school, and assisted in the general store operated by his father at Otisville for many years. He engaged with the Erie Railroad as a brakeman and was promoted to conductor, serving from 1868 to 1882, after which he returned to the farm, where he has since remained. He was married to Miss Frances N., daughter of Dimmick and Sylvia A. (Cadwell) Wilkin, March 14, 1875. By this union there were three children born, all living: Harriet D., born February 11, 1877; Nellie W., born June 14, 1881; Sylvia E., born September 10, 1885. Harriet is the wife of Henry A. Holley, of Otisville, and they have three children, Henry E., born August 26, 1898; Elizabeth C, born April 30, 1901; James Easton, born September 20, 1905. Nellie W. is the wife of Joseph K. Corwin. They have two children, S. Gilbert, born July 19, 1905, and Francis Horton, born March 2, 1907. In politics Mr. Easton is a democrat, and has served as inspector of elections since 1884. His father, James Easton, was born January 15, 1824, at Milford, Pa. February 24, 1849, he married Hannah E. Corwin, of New Vernon, and three children were born to them, Nellie R., born November 21, 1849, married Schuyler D. Frazer, of Otisville; Ada, born February 23, 1855, died March, 1856. He was at Dunkirk, N. Y., in 1851, when the opening of the Erie Railroad occurred. In 1853 he returned to Howells and opened a general store, continuing there until 1861. In 1863 he went to Saginaw, Michigan, remaining there one year, returning to Orange County in 1864, opening a general store at Otisville, which in May, 1884, was destroyed by fire. He immediately rebuilt and continued until 1905, when he retired after a career of fifty years of active life.
ALVA WISNER EDSALL, a lifelong resident of the town of Warwick, was born at Edenville, N. Y., January 8, 1861, and after attending the public schools commenced the study of dentistry at the age of eighteen years, graduating from the Philadelphia Dental College. In 1883 took up the practice of his chosen profession in Warwick, N. Y., where he has since been actively engaged in business, forming a partnership with Dr. J. H. Wood in 1884, which partnership still exists. A son of Thomas S. and Phoebe Miller Edsall, he represents the seventh generation of a long line of English ancestry, who were among the early settlers of New Amsterdam (now New York City), in 1637, they being large owners of timber lands where Hackensack, N. J., is now located. They afterwards moved to Northern New Jersey about the time the De Kays settled there, and numerous branches of the family are now to be found in this locality. Dr. Edsall was married, in 1891, to Caroline Welling, of Warwick, having a daughter and son, Marian and Maurice, aged respectively twelve and five years. He is a member of the board of education and interested in Warwick's various business enterprises.
JOHN EGAN, retired dairyman, Newburgh, N. Y., was born in 1847 on a farm in West Newburgh. In 1876 he embarked in the milk and cream business and in 1883 his trade had assumed such proportions that he erected a creamery on First street, where the milk was received, which he equipped with modern appliances. He retired from the dairy business a few years ago and now devotes his attention to his extensive real estate holdings.
EDWARD R. ELLIOTT, M.D., of Montgomery, N. Y., was born in Dutchess County in 1854, a son of Rev. Jos. and Harriet (Andrews) Elliott. His education was obtained at Claverack Institute and Stamford Seminary. He graduated in medicine in 1874 from the University of New York and has enjoyed an extensive practice in Montgomery since 1878. Dr. Elliott is a member of the County and State Medical Societies and the Newburgh Bay Medical Society. He is also identified with the Masonic fraternity. He is a director of the Montgomery National Bank. Dr. Elliott married Miss Lydia Wright and a son, Clyde, has been born to them.
E. J. EMERSON, cashier of the Montgomery National Bank, has been a resident of Orange County for some twenty years. He is a native of Sullivan County and began life by entering the employ of Albert Bull, wholesale druggist of Middletown, where he remained twelve years. Mr. Emerson's banking experience covers a period of six years, four of which were spent with the First National and the Merchants National Bank of Middletown. He accepted his present position in 1905.
CHARLES A. EVANS—Soldier, newspaper man, ranch man and farmer successively the career of Charles A. Evans has been one of strenuous activity and varied experience. He was born September 11, 1845, in New York City, obtained his early education in New York schools, and when a mere boy, sixteen years old, enlisted in New York with the 12th Regular Infantry for service in the Civil War. This was in May, 1862. He could only be accepted as a drummer boy, but soon exchanged drum for musket, and carried it for three years. He was wounded and taken prisoner in the battle of Cedar Mountain, and was confined on Belle Island about two months. Communications which he wrote for Northern papers pleased the editor of the ChicagoTimes,and in the fall of 1865 the young soldier was invited to join the staff of that paper. He remained with it until 1878, and then getting the Western fever, went to a point in Southern Kansas, on the Walnut River, and established a ranch on which he and his family lived until 1883. Then, in order that his children might have opportunities for education, he returned to Chicago and resumed work on theTimes,and after a little was appointed its New York correspondent. So he again became a resident of the metropolis, and was correspondent of the ChicagoTimesand St. LouisRepublicanfive years, when trouble with his eyes caused him to quit newspaper work. In 1888 he came to Orange County and purchased the farm near Howells on which he lives. In 1900 he purchased at Mt. Vernon another farm, and now manages both. In 1895 he was supervisor for the town of Wallkill, and against much opposition pushed through the board the resolution offering a reward for the capture of Charles H. Rogers, the murderer of the Olney brothers and Alice Ingerick. In 1907 he was the Democratic candidate for member of assembly. Mr. Evans was married to Miss Jennie E. Morrill, of Brandon, Vt., in 1867. They have four children—a son living in Chicago, Mrs. F. L. Andrews, of Whitehall, Miss Frances, a graduate of Cornell University, and Austin, now a student in Cornell.
GEORGE W. EVANS, a prominent citizen of the town of Crawford, resides at Bullville and carries on an extensive trade in cattle and horses. He is a son of John A. and Marie (Walker) Evans, and was born at Walker Valley, Ulster County. Although but in his 'teens he went to the front during the Civil War, enlisting in the 56th Regiment. He was discharged in 1865 at Charlestown, S. C. On his return home he engaged with his father in the meat business at Bullville, in which he continued fourteen years, and then began trading in cattle.
Mr. Evans was united in marriage with Miss Anna L. Relyea, January 6, 1869, a daughter of Christopher and Sarah B. (Sprague) Relyea. Socially he is identified with Hoffman Lodge, No. 412, F. and A. M., of Middletown, N. Y.
WILLIAM EVANS, now living in retirement at Westtown, N. Y., has been prominently identified with the commercial and financial development of Middletown. He is a son of William and Rosetta (Corwin) Evans and was born at the homestead in the town of Minisink. His mercantile career began in 1849, when, under the firm name of Little & Evans, a dry goods store was started at Middletown. At the end of eight years Mr. Evans continued the business alone for four years, when Mr. M. D. Stivers became his partner as Evans & Stivers. In 1864 Mr. Evans sold out his interest and took up the organization of the First National Bank, of which he was elected president. After a period of eleven years he resigned the office, retaining his directorship. In 1866 he assisted in the organization of the Middletown, Unionville and Water Gap R. R., and at his suggestion the railroad was given that name. He was a director of the company and served as its treasurer a number of years. In 1874 he engaged for two years in the manufacture of horse clothing. He then went to New York and was engaged for four years in the real estate and insurance business. He then retired from active pursuits and traveled extensively in company with his daughter.
Mr. Evans married Miss Julia Denton, daughter of Theodore B. Denton, of Denton, N. Y. Two children were born. His daughter is now the wife of Mr. Albert H. Horton, of Johnson, N. Y., and his son, Sydney Denton, is engaged in business in Salt Lake City.
THE FABRIKOID COMPANYof Newburgh is among the most important industries of Orange County. It was established in 1902 and incorporated under the present title with the following officials: John Aspinwall, president; George H. May, secretary and treasurer; J. Kearney Rodgers, general sales manager. The product of the plant is chiefly an imitation leather called Fabrikoid, which finds a ready market all over the world. Bronze paint and lacquers are also manufactured. The growth of this business has been very rapid and the plant now covers twenty-five acres and consists of forty-nine buildings.
THE FANCHER FAMILY—Elias Fancher, who was born in Darien, Conn., January 19, 1793, came to Warwick in early boyhood with his father, who bought the Van Houghton farm with the stone house, which is still standing, was built in 1795. He married Miss Sarah Jones, who was born in Warwick September 10, 1795. They had eight children, only two of whom are living, Darius and Julia. The latter, born December 15, 1831, is the wife of Wisner Wood, of Paterson, N. J. Darius was born March 22, 1836, and has always been identified with agriculture since he left the district school. He married Sarah Catharine Sayer, of Warwick. The names of their live children are, Edwin, Sayer, Clinton W., Frank and Lillie. Edwin is a practicing physician in Middletown, N. Y., and Sayer is in a wholesale grocery in the same place. Clinton conducts a dry goods store and Frank is in the feed business in Goshen. Lillie is the wife of Wilham A. Bradner, of Warwick. Their father, Darius, remains the good farmer and esteemed citizen that he has been since his young manhood.
HENRY H. FARNUM, of Port Jervis, member of the board of supervisors, was born and educated in this city. He is a son of Peter E. and Mary R. (Conkling) Farnum, and conducts an extensive business in real estate and insurance. Following the incorporation of Port Jervis as a city in 1907. Mr. Farnum was nominated and elected on the Republican ticket a member of the board of supervisors. He takes an active interest in public affairs of Orange County, is a member of the Deer Park Club, of which he is a treasurer. Mr. Farnum married Ruth Smith, of Port Jervis, and they have one son, Henry H., Jr.
JACOB R. FEAGLES was born on the Feagles homestead March 31, 1863, and since his school days has been a farmer. His first wife's maiden name was Miss Belle Hyatt, of Warwick, and they were married December 5, 1889. His second marriage was to Mrs. Emma J. Vealy, of Amity, October 25, 1893. Five children have been the fruit of the second marriage—Jacob H., George W., Mary Elizabeth, Henry Barney and Emma. Mr. Feagles has been on his present farm twenty-one years, and is an extensive peach grower and a dairy farmer. He belongs to Amity Grange No. 1001.
DR. JAMES FRANCIS FERGUSON, founder of the widely known sanitarium "Falkirk," was born in New York City October 10, 1830, and died at his home near Central Valley, Orange County, N. Y., January 6, 1904. He graduated from the medical department of the University of New York in 1861 and from Bellevue Medical College in 1862.
Dr. Ferguson served with the Second New York Militia during the Civil War. At Blackburn's Ford, at the first battle of Bull Run, he was wounded and taken to Libby Prison, but was later released on parole through the efforts of his mother. As major and surgeon of the 165th New York Volunteers (Second Duryea Zouaves), he was again mustered into the service September 9, 1862, served with General Banks in Louisiana, was present at the battle of Pine Stores, and at the siege of Port Hudson was in charge of a field hospital. He was afterward provost surgeon in New Orleans and served in the campaigns in the Teche country, and was discharged at Franklin, La., in 1864. He was brevetted lieutenant-colonel of New York Volunteers.
The professional appointments of Dr. Ferguson were as follows: Attending surgeon, Bellevue, 1870-1871; visiting surgeon to Blackwell's Island Hospital, 1872-1892; visiting physician to the Hospital for Nervous Diseases, 1886-1892, and consulting physician of the Charity (now City) Hospital, from 1892 to the time of his death.
Dr. Ferguson was a member of the Bellevue Hospital Alumni, the Medical Society of the County of New York, the New York Academy of Medicine, New York Neurological Society, Military Order of the Loyal Legion, the Army and Navy Club, Lotus Club, Kane Lodge, No. 454, F. & A. M., Jerusalem Chapter, No. 8, R. A. M., Coeur de Lion Commandery, No. 23, K. T., and a thirty-third degree Scottish Rite Mason.
JOHN H. FLANAGAN, who for many years has been extensively engaged in the cultivation of choice vegetables for the New York market, has achieved much success in this line of business. He was born in Ireland in 1843, came to America in 1851, and seven years later engaged in truck farming. Mr. Flanagan is actively interested in business affairs at Newburgh. He was one of the promoters of the Columbus Trust Company and has been a member of the board of directors since the organization of this solid financial institution. He has also acquired much real estate in Newburgh and has served four years as a member of the board of public works.
Mr. Flanagan was united in marriage with Miss Shields and seven children were born to them.
CHARLES T. FORD—Among the citizens of Orange County who by their own efforts have achieved unusual success, Mr. Ford, of Central Valley, occupies a prominent place. He is a son of Charles T. and Martha (Weygant) Ford and was born at Southfield in 1844. He attended public and private schools, supplemented by a course at Claverack Institute and Poughkeepsie Business College. In 1867 he was manager of the iron works at Southfield and four years later was conducting a charcoal furnace in Michigan. Losing heavily in the panic of 1873 he returned to Orange County and was appointed station agent at Turners. In 1881 he began his career as a railroad contractor, his first work being for the West Shore Railroad, excavating and building the retaining wall through the city of Newburgh between North and South streets. From Newburgh he went to Albany, and thence to Rochester, building five miles of road. He received the contract for grading on the Port Jervis Railroad from Rhodesdale to Huguenot, and also laid the track and ballasted the entire line. His next work was building the North Dam of Tuxedo Park, after which he graded eleven miles of the Baltimore and Eastern Shore Railroad. Mr. Ford continued construction for many years for various railroads.
Since 1898 he has personally superintended the construction of all improvements for Mr. E. H. Harriman on his Arden property, including the erection of his mansion, not yet completed. During this time there were constructed a drainage canal three miles long and the course of the Ramapo straightened from Turners to Arden. Not the least of these improvements has been the Panchot system of forestry, the building of an incline railway 3,300 feet long from Arden to Mr. Harriman's house and twenty-five miles of roads for driving about the estate.
Mr. Ford has also built over one hundred miles of state roads in Orange County and has charge of maintaining of all the state roads in the county limited by yearly appropriations.
Mr. Ford is a director on the board of the Arden Farms Dairy Co., and as Mr. Harriman's confidential man here his duties are multitudinous. The Arden property comprises some 20,000 acres of land and there are 650 men employed thereon.
In 1868 Mr. Ford married Miss Josephine McKelvey. Three children were born, J. Barlow, Bertha and Harriet Louise.
Active in republican politics, Mr. Ford is a recognized leader in public affairs of his town and county.
HENRY T. FORD, merchant and postmaster at Central Valley, N. Y., was born in 1866, a son of Benjamin and Frances C. (Denniston) Ford. After finishing his schooling he conducted a store at Woodbury for six years, and in 1897 purchased the grocery business of George D. Wood at Central Valley, which he has continued with much success. Mr. Ford was appointed postmaster July 15, 1899.
WILLIAM FOSTER, retired manufacturer and prominent citizen of Newburgh, was born in England in 1841. He was engaged as a school teacher in his native country for a period of five years, and in 1867 came to America as selling agent for James Taylor, who was subsequently proprietor of the Newburgh Woolen Mills. He continued in this capacity until 1888, when upon the death of James Taylor, Mr. Foster and James S. Taylor purchased the plant and conducted the business with much success until 1902. The establishment was then incorporated as the Stroock Plush Company, Mr. Foster holding the office of vice-president. He was also vice-president of the Stroock Felt Company until 1906. He has been a director of the National Bank of Newburgh since 1895.
Mr. Foster takes an active part in promoting the welfare of Newburgh's charitable institutions. He is president of the Associated Charities, trustee of the home for the Friendless, and member of the board of managers of St. Luke's Hospital. In religious affiliations he is identified with the Church of the Good Shepherd, holding the office of warden.
Mr. Foster married Mary Ann Taylor and seven children were born to them, of whom four are living.
ANSON J. FOWLER, attorney of Walden and Newburgh, was born in Walden, N. Y., in 1878. He was educated at New Paltz Normal School and was engaged in the mercantile business at Walden, five years. He read law in Newburgh, and was admitted to the bar in 1905.
Mr. Fowler is president of the Electric Light Co., Walden, and a director of the Walden National Bank. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and I. O. O. F. He is a son of Nicholas J. and Elizabeth (Millspaugh) Fowler.
NICHOLAS JANSEN FOWLER, of English and Welsh descent, son of Peter Hill Fowler and Anna Jansen Fowler, was born on the ancestral homestead near the village of Montgomery, N. Y., May 9, 1847. He attended the famous Montgomery Academy, also the Monticello Academy. After graduating, he was associated with G. Fred Wiltsie, in business at Newburgh-on-Hudson. In 1868, Mr. Fowler located at Walden, N. Y., opening the first hardware store in the village, which he continued for thirty years.
He was the original organizer of the Wallkill Valley Electric Light and Power Company, of which for many years he was president; was one of the original incorporators of the National Bank of Walden and one of its officers until recent years. For many years he has been vice-president of the Walden Savings Bank; is connected with the First Reformed Church of Walden and Wallkill Lodge, F. and A. M., of which he was treasurer for over twenty years. He was a charter member of the Wallkill Valley Farmers' Association, serving many years as its treasurer and doing much to establish it.
Mr. Fowler married Miss Elizabeth Millspaugh, daughter of the late Joseph G. Millspaugh, of Walden, N. Y., May 29, 1872, Three sons were born to them. The eldest, Joseph M., of Kingston, an attorney of distinction, who has represented his district in the legislative hall at Albany; Anson J., an attorney having offices at Newburgh and Walden, who enjoys a large legal business; Fred, who has been highly successful in the electric light and telephone interests of Walden and adjacent villages. Mr. Fowler has been confined to his home for several years.
THOMAS POWELL FOWLER, president of the New York, Ontario and Western Railway Company, was born in Newburgh, October 26, 1851. His father, Isaac Sebring Fowler, was a descendant of Isaac Fowler, who settled near that city in 1747. His mother, Mary Ludlow Powell, was the daughter of Robert Ludlow Powell, who was the son of Thomas Powell, long prominent in the affairs of the Empire State, and one of the most successful men of his time.
Mr. Fowler's childhood was spent at Newburgh. He received his early education at Siglar's School, Newburgh, and College Hill, Poughkeepsie, after which he studied abroad for nearly two years, spending most of his time in Germany. Returning to New York, he entered the banking house of Morton, Bliss & Co., then Morton, Burns & Co, where he acquired a general knowledge of financial affairs. He studied law under Prof. Theo. D. Dwight, at the Columbia College law school, entering the junior class of that institution October 21, 1872. He graduated in May, 1874, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Laws.
In 1881 Mr. Fowler was elected director of the Chenango and Allegheny Railroad. In 1884 we find him a director of the West Pennsylvania and Chenango Connecting Railroads. On March 15 of the same year he was appointed receiver of the Chenango and Allegheny Railroad and the Mercer Coal and Iron Co. On March 31 following Mr. Fowler was elected director of the New York, Ontario and Western. In 1886 he was elected president. He has also served as director in the boards of the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad and other corporations.
Mr. Fowler occupies his country place in the village of Warwick during the summer months. In 1876 he married Isabelle, eldest daughter of Benjamin F. Dunning, an eminent New York lawyer and for many years a partner of Charles O'Conor.
WILLIAM J. FOWLER, a prominent and progressive fruit farmer of the town of Newburgh, resides at the homestead where his grandfather, Peter V. B. Fowler, was born in 1800. He is a son of Henry D. and Anna (Du Bois) Fowler, who for many years cultivated this valuable property and were prominent in church and social affairs. W. J. Fowler was born in 1862. He attended the schools of Middlehope and then took the English course at Tivoli Military School, from which he graduated. He spent two years at Newburgh in Eli Hasbrouck's dry goods establishment, and in 1881 purchased his farm of forty-two acres and undertook the cultivation of fruit, in which he has been uniformly successful. In 1905 he purchased his father's farm of fifty-six acres. Mr. Fowler was school trustee twelve years, highway commissioner eight years, and has served as town collector. He is treasurer of Cronomer Valley Grange.
JAMES FULLAGAR, contractor and builder, Newburgh, N. Y., was born in England in 1828, Attended the schools at Headcorn and learned the carpenter's trade there. He lived for a number of years in the West End of London, where he and his brother conducted an artists' lodging house. In 1850 he sailed for America, coming directly to Newburgh, where he engaged in his trade with his uncle, with whom he later formed a partnership which existed four years. He then engaged in real estate and building on his own account, and in the period from 1855 to 1902 erected for himself one hundred homes in Newburgh. He has since disposed of these with the exception of thirty houses. Mr. Fullagar is possessed of deep religious convictions and for forty years has devoted a portion of his time to preaching the gospel.
December 20, 1860, he married Miss Elizabeth Hoase, of New Windsor. Four children have been born to them, three of whom are still living.
NICHOLAS I. FURMAN was born at Spring Valley, town of Ramapo, Rockland County, N. Y., March 29, 1835, and died at Warwick, N. Y., April 3, 1908. He was in school and on the farm until eighteen years of age, when he engaged in the lumber business. His railroad career began as a switchman for the Erie Railroad at Suffern, N. Y., where he was soon promoted from track to train service. In 1860 he went to Port Jervis, N. Y., was in Newburgh a year, and in 1869 moved to Warwick, N. Y., continuing in train service until 1882. In that year he was assistant superintendent for a short time, and superintendent of the Lehigh & Hudson from 1882 to 1893. Mr. Furman has been an influential Republican. He was a member of the Republican county committee three years during the McKinley administration, and was a delegate to the state convention that nominated the late Governor Higgins. He was a member of Port Jervis Lodge, No. 328, F. & A. M., Warwick Chapter, No. 186, and Delaware Commandery, No. 44. He was president of the Warwick Cemetery Association, second vice-president of the Warwick Savings Bank, and, in general terms, a wide-awake, helpful and highly esteemed citizen. He attended the Reformed Dutch Church. Mr. Furman's first wife was Rachel A. Westervelt, who died in 1872. His second wife was Mary E. Hynard, of Warwick. He has had no children.
FRANCIS K. GAFFNEYwas born in New York City in 1871. At the age of seventeen he became the youngest fireman, probably, on the New York & New Haven Railroad. After stoking over its rails for a year or more, he was placed in charge of a switch engine in the yard. He left the railroad and went at stationary engineering in New York City for three years. Then he accepted a position in Jacksonville, Fla., and set up two engines for the Street Railroad Co., thus driving out the old mule tramway from the city of Jacksonville. At the completion of this southern plant he returned to New York and assisted at the erection of the large Allis engines for the Lexington Avenue cable road. From there he was ordered to Detroit to assist at the building of the plant of the Detroit Citizens' Street Railway. He was then employed as engineer of the plant after it was completed, later as chief engineer in charge. This plant was at that time one of the largest in the West. After two years services here, in which time he was married, he resigned and came east, accepted a position with the Kingston Consolidated Traction Co. as chief engineer. He was in this position for five years, then accepted a position as chief engineer for the Queens Borough Gas & Electric Co., New York City, also in charge of the new construction at this plant. After the completion of this new work he went in the employ of the Floy Engineering Co., of New York, and took charge of the electrical end of the construction of a new hydro-electric plant on the Neversink River. At the completion of this work he went with the Public Service Corporation of New Jersey as chief of their Morristown Division. He was then employed as electrical construction expert for the New York & New Jersey Tile Co., and is now identified with the Orange County Lighting Co. Under his management the plant has largely improved.
WILLIAM T. GALLAWAY was born in the town of Newburgh, Orange County, N. Y., August 13, 1826. He attended the district school in Newburgh and at an early age went on the farm and has always been identified in agricultural pursuits. His father was Zachariah D. and mother Catherine (Thompson) Gallaway. Mr. Gallaway operated a hotel at Scotchtown and Circleville for several years, and also one in Minnesota.
He married Elizabeth Fondy, of Montgomery, who is still living. To this union were born four children. Albert died in infancy, William S., Abraham and Mary K., wife of James Hamm, of Brooklyn, N. Y., died in 1907. In politics Mr. Gallaway is a Democrat.
IRA M. GARDNER was born at Johnson, Orange County, December 20, 1883. His parents were Merit H. C. Gardner (deceased), and Belle (Howell) Gardner. He attended country schools at Stewarttown and Westtown during his early years; later, having removed to Middletown, he entered the public schools of that city, graduating with the class of 1903.
He studied law in the office of Henry W. and Russell Wiggins until October, 1904, when he entered the New York Law School, graduating in 1906, and being admitted to the bar in the same year.
He has spent one year in practice in New York City, connected with the Lawyers' Title Insurance Company.
SAMUEL H. GARISS, ex-president of the village of Port Jervis, was born in Sussex County, N. J., in 1849, and died at his home, December 10, 1907. At the age of nineteen he came to Tri-States and entered the employ of W. A. Drake as bookkeeper. During the twenty-two years that he occupied this position he was able to conduct a livery business in partnership with Hiram Marion, also operating a grist and saw mill in Flatbrookville. From 1884 to 1888 he was postmaster of Tri-States. In 1890 Mr. Gariss came to Germantown and established a grocery store. In 1901 he retired from this business and it became the property of his son, Samuel Emmet Gariss and S. G. Blackman.
Politically Mr. Gariss was a staunch Democrat; he served as trustee of Port Jervis village and in 1903 was elected village president and re-elected in 1905. He was elected a member of the board of supervisors in 1907 by a large majority and would have assumed his duties January 1, 1908. He was one of the elders of the Second Reformed Church since its organization.
In 1875 Mr. Gariss married Charity Estelle Cole, and they were the parents of two children, Samuel Emmet and Olive Zadie.
ASAHEL B. GARRISON, dealer in coal, feed, farm implements, etc., at Walden. N. Y., is numbered among the progressive young business men of Orange County. He is a son of Gerow and Elnora (Seymour) Garrison, residents of the town of Newburgh, where Asahel B. was born in 1884. His education was obtained at Claverack Institute and Hackettstown Seminary. The business to which Mr. Garrison succeeded was established by Taylor & Bateman early in the 70's. They were followed by Hasbrouck & Sloan, who disposed of their interests to Mr. Garrison January 1, 1907.
JOHN Y. GEROW, son of Justis Cooley and Phoebe H. (Young) Gerow, was born in 1856 in Ulster County. N. Y. When he was three years of age his parents removed to the Thomas Pope farm in the town of New Windsor, Orange County. It was here John Y. grew to manhood, aiding his father on the farm. He is now the owner of the Pope farm of 170 acres, the Barnet farm of 125 acres and the David Wright farm of 100 acres at Washingtonville, where he has resided since 1904. Mr. Gerow is senior member of the firm of Gerow & Felter, large cattle dealers. As past master of Pomona Grange Mr. Gerow enjoys a wide acquaintance throughout the state, and the flourishing condition of that organization in Orange County to-day is largely due to his untiring efforts as an organizer and promoter, demonstrating clearly to the farmer wherein he can better his condition. A review of the Grange in Orange County, which appears elsewhere in this work, was furnished by Mr. Gerow.
JOSEPH C. GEROW, a representative citizen of the town of Blooming Grove, was born in the town of Hamptonburgh, Orange County, in 1854. He is the youngest son of the late Elias and Sarah M. (Cooper) Gerow. The ancestors of the Gerow family settled in Plattekill, Ulster County, N. Y. Gilbert H. Gerow, grandfather of Joseph C, was the first of that name whose birth occurred in Orange County. His parents had located on what is known as the Crawford farm in the town of Blooming Grove. It was here that Gilbert H. grew to manhood and married Annie Cooley. Seven children were born to them, of whom Elias was the eldest. He was born in 1813 and lived to the advanced age of ninety-two years. He resided for a time in Hamptonburgh, but most of his life was spent in his native town, where he was successfully engaged in farming. Joseph C. Gerow, after finishing his studies at public and select schools, remained on the farm assisting his father. His farm of 150 acres is located in one of the best agricultural regions of Orange County. He deals extensively in agricultural implements, wind mills, etc. By appointment of the court he has charge of the George Washington Tuthill estate. He married Miss Jennie, daughter of Rev. Warren Hathaway, and they have eight children living. Their son, Percy, assists his father in the management of his business. As school trustee Mr. Gerow has been active in promoting educational interests in the town of Blooming Grove.
THOMAS B. GIBSON, who is serving his third term as postmaster of the village of Walden, was born in Newburgh, N. Y., in 1859; a son of Thomas and Sarah (Eager) Gibson. He learned the tailor's trade and in 1883 accepted the position of cutter for the firm of Wooster & Stoddard at Walden. In 1895 he was elected town clerk and re-elected in 1897, resigning to accept the postmaster-ship under President McKinley's administration. He has been twice reappointed by President Roosevelt. He is a member of the Republican County Committee and active in promoting the interest of his party. Socially Mr. Gibson is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Order of American Mechanics.
WILLIAM H. GILLESPIE, of Walden, is a descendant of one of Orange County's old families. He was born May 28, 1855, a son of Renwick and Caroline Augusta (Smith) Gillespie and is engaged in the cultivation of the farm which was a portion of the Gatehouse patent. This farm contains the trotting course and part of the land has been divided into building lots. Renwick Gillespie, who died in 1904 in his eightieth year, was one of Walden's most respected and influential citizens. He was born in the town of Montgomery, a son of Abram Gillespie and grandson of Samuel Gillespie, who with his father David came from Scotland and settled near Pine Bush, Orange County, previous to the Revolutionary war. David Smith, who was the first settler on the Gatehouse patent, was grandfather of Mr. Renwick Gillespie's wife, and in 1859 Renwick Gillespie purchased seventy-three acres of this land and erected a commodious home. He is survived by his wife and three children.
W. STANTON GLEASON, M.D., was born at Sag Harbor, L. I., July 24, 1860; academic education at Williston Seminary, East Hampton, Mass., and at Amherst College; graduate University of New York, 1866; he began practice, Newburgh, N. Y., 1887; member County, Newburgh Bay and State Medical Societies; American Medical Association and New York Academy of Medicine. Attending physician St. Luke's Hospital; consulting physician Highland Hospital; president Board Pension Examining Surgeons; member Masonic fraternity and Knights Templar; ex-member Newburgh Board of Education. He is a son of Rev. W. H. Gleason, D.D., for several years pastor of American Reformed Church, Newburgh. In 1888 Dr. Gleason married Grace, daughter of the late Senator J. W. Hoysradt, of Hudson, N. Y. He has one child, Charles B. Gleason, born June 22, 1900.
J. OGDEN GOBLE was born May 30, 1865, on the homestead farm, one mile from Florida. His father was William Timelo and mother Jane Miller. There was one child, the subject of this sketch. Mr. Coble's father died February 19, 1883, and his mother died October 3, 1905. J. Ogden attended the Washington Academy and Seward Institute, and at the age of eighteen, upon the death of his father, took charge of the home farm, which he has since conducted. He married Miss Carrie Stevens, of Florida, April 17, 1889. They had one child, who died in infancy. Mr. Goble has served as inspector of election for a period of twenty-three years. He was master of Florida Grange No. 1053 for two years and is now its secretary.
CHARLES T. GOODRICH, born Newburgh, N. Y., December 5, 1846; learned machinist's trade in Washington Iron Works, and engaged for a time with Erie Railroad in various positions. In 1865 was victim of railroad wreck, which physically disabled him for life. Studied telegraphy and was employed by the Western Union Co. in New York, Newburgh and elsewhere. Has acted as correspondent for New York dailies for many years and also connected with local papers. Since 1870 Mr. Goodrich has been engaged in real estate and fire insurance business, and interested in several local business institutions. He is prominently identified with Knights of Pythias. In 1881 he married Hattie F., daughter of Capt. Isaac Jenkinson.
HON. LOUIS F. GOODSELL, of Highland Falls, who was State senator from the Twenty-third New York District, 1898 to 1906, was born January 30, 1846. His education was obtained at Tracey's (now Holbrook's) Military Academy, at Sing Sing, N. Y. While at school and but seventeen years of age, Mr. Goodsell enlisted in Company F, Forty-seventh New York Volunteers, and went to war. He was mustered out with the regiment, August 30, 1865. He then re-entered school, and in May, 1867, graduated from the Poughkeepsie Business College.
After spending two years in Omaha, Neb., he was a resident of Newburgh from 1869 to 1878. He spent five years in Savannah, Ga., and in 1885 was engaged in the oil business in Chicago, and the lumber business in Ottumwa, Iowa. He disposed of his interests in both places in 1887 to his partners and returned to his native town.
Early in life Mr. Goodsell became a firm believer in the principles of the Republican party, and has always fought with the greatest enthusiasm for the party's success at the polls. His superior ability as a political leader soon became recognized. He was a member of the Board of Supervisors eighteen years, and in 1894 was elected a member of assembly from the First District of Orange County. He was re-elected to the Assembly in 1895, 1896 and 1897. In 1898 he was elected State senator from the Twenty-third District, and was re-elected to that office in 1900, 1902 and 1904.
Mr. Goodsell's career as a legislator was eminently successful. A tireless worker, he devoted his efforts to furthering the interests of this district. Since his retirement from political life, he has cheerfully extended a helping hand to republican aspirants for public office. Mr. Goodsell married Miss Frances A. Parry, and two children, Harry and Edith, were born, both residents of Highland Falls.
EDGAR M. GORDON, of the hardware firm of Malven & Gordon, of Port Jervis, N. Y., was born December 22, 1850, at Cuddebackville, Orange County, N. Y. He obtained his early education at the district school in his locality and at Port Clinton, N. Y. He started at an early age as clerk in the canal store at Neversink Locks, where he remained for three years. He then served two years at the same place as telegraph operator. September 1, 1869, he came to Port Jervis, and clerked for St. John & Malven. About 1875 he purchased a half interest in the hardware store of George Malven. Mr. Gordon was married to Miss Ann Amelia Malven, daughter of George Malven, in June, 1877. Three children were born to this union, George M., Wilbur and Samuel, all residing at home. Mr. Gordon is a republican and in 1900 was elected supervisor of census of his congressional district. He is a member of the Mt. William Lodge, K. of P., is identified with the Reformed Dutch Church and is superintendent of the Sunday-school.
REV. C. GORSE was born in the town of Fulton, Schoharie County, N. Y., June 4, 1815. He was the eldest of four children of Robert and Mary Gorse, who owned a large farm in that township. The father of Robert Gorse was Ephraim, who spelled the name Goss, being of English extraction, a descendant of Sir John Goss, and a soldier of the Revolution who, having been wounded, perished in the rigors of the encampment at Valley Forge. Having acquired a common school education, he taught school during the winters, laying the foundation of a rugged constitution by working for his father on the farm during the summers, until having attained the age of manhood, he went to the theological seminary at Albany, joining the New York Conference in 1840. He resided in Newburgh at the time of his death, May 31, 1892, at the ripe age of seventy-nine. He was married on August 31, 1836, to Eleanor Louise Ireland, a daughter of Rev. Thomas Ireland, a descendant of Sir John Ireland, the former being a pioneer in the Albany circuit and a resident of Ireland Corners, New Albany. Of this marriage there were born three children: Dr. C. A. Gorse, of Cornwall; Mrs. Conrad Russ, of Albany, and Miss Louisa Virginia, for fifteen years organist of the Church of the Corner Stone and music teacher of Newburgh during the residence of her parents there and subsequently of Poughkeepsie, and organist of the Reformed Church at New Paltz. Rev. and Mrs. Gorse celebrated their golden wedding in Newburgh in 1886, when there was a distinguished company of the clergy with friends and relatives present, who expressed their high esteem for his moral and religious, character.
DR. CHARLES ASBURY GORSE was born at Roxbury, Delaware County. N. Y., July 12, 1841. He was the only son of the Rev. Charles Gorse and Eleanor Louise Ireland, his wife. By this union there were also two sisters, Eleanor Victoria, wife of Conrad Russ, of Albany, N. Y., and Louisa Virginia, single, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. The doctor was educated at Poultney, Vermont, Charlotteville, Amenia, and Warnerville seminaries in this State, after which he taught schools at Stamford, Conn., Patchogue, L. I., Margaretville and Prattsville, N. Y., the last three being very successful private schools. He went from the latter place in 1861 to attend the Medical Department of the New York University, from which he graduated March 4, 1864. He practiced at Barngall, Dutchess County, Brooklyn, L. I., New Providence, N. J., Newark, N. J., about two years at each, prior to coming to Vail's Gate, N. Y., in 1872, where he remained until his marriage on June 12, 1878, to Sarah Elizabeth Brooks, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brooks, of Bethlehem, where he has practiced his profession ever since. Of this union there were born three children, Charles Victor, Virginia Elizabeth and Robert Sylvester. The doctor has served as town physician for the towns of Cornwall and New Windsor for several years at various periods, and also as health officer for the latter town. One of his ancestors, Ephraim Goss, was a soldier of the Revolution. The doctor has always been a staunch republican, casting his first vote for Abraham Lincoln on his second election.
JOHN H. GRAHAM, who for many years was one of the representative farmers and dairymen of the town of Montgomery, was born there in 1822 and died in 1906. He was a son of William and Hannah (Houston) Graham, natives of Orange County. William Graham was an active democrat and served his town as assessor and supervisor. He was also a member of assembly and declined the nomination for State Senator. John H. Graham remained at home until the death of his father, when he inherited a part of the homestead and subsequently purchased the interest of the other heirs. He was a man well read and much interested in public affairs, always taking an active part in promoting the welfare of the democratic party. Though not an office-seeker, he was at one time nominated for member of assembly. In 1856 he was united in marriage to Miss Isabella Young, of Neelytown. The farm, which comprises one hundred and eighty acres, is now conducted by his nephew, Mr. Charles H. Graham, who is numbered among the progressive citizens of Orange County.
EDWARD DAVIS GREEN was born July 18, 1856, at Chester, N. Y. His parents were Edward and Elizabeth Davis. To this union were born four sons and four daughters, only two of whom are now living, Edward D. and Charles.
Our subject obtained his education at the Chester Academy and at Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Mr. Green has always been identified with agricultural pursuits. He married Clara Hadden, of Chester, N. Y., November 20, 1877. Their one child died in infancy, and the wife died in 1888.
In politics Mr. Green is a republican and has served as road commissioner four years. He is a member of the Chester Grange and the Presbyterian Church.
GEORGE W. GREEN—Among the older business houses of Newburgh is the book and stationery store of George W. Green, which was established at 47 Water street by Mr. Green, November 1, 1869. May 1, 1886, he moved to his present quarters at 65 and 67 Water street. Mr. Green was born in Newburgh in 1840. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and trustee of the Newburgh Savings Bank.
ISRAEL Y. GREEN was born April 30, 1817, and died August 20, 1876. His early education was acquired at the district school. He was a democrat and served the town as supervisor for several years. Mr. Green was married to Mary Jane (McBride) Drake, of Minisink, widow of Joshua Drake, who died November 21, 1857. There were four children born to them: Sarah F., wife of John Fields, Jr., of Otisville; Myra, wife of Thomas F. Knapp, of Jersey City; Israel, who died at Staten Island in 1901, and one child, who died in infancy.
SAMUEL GREEN was born at Ringwood, Passaic County, N. J., December 18, 1840, being the second of six children of Henry and Mary Green. He attended the district school at Edenville, Orange County, and for three years attended the Seward Institute, Florida. He then learned the trade of blacksmithing in his father's shop. He was a village trustee from 1864 to 1879. He is now an active member of the Florida fire department, which he helped organize in 1885, and was one of the incorporators of the Florida water system, which cost $23,000.
He is a member of Warwick Lodge No. 544, F. and A. M., of which he was master two years; member of Midland Chapter No. 240, of Middletown, and Cypress Commandery No. 67.
Mr. Green's wife is Mary E. Miller, of Florida, to whom he was married September 6, 1866. They have had eight children, five of whom are living. Addie, wife of Fred Roe; Jeanette, wife of William Creeden; Elizabeth, wife of Frank Kortright; Edith, wife of William Boyd; and Fred, who resides at home.
WILLIAM H. GREEN, postmaster and merchant at Slate Hill, N. Y., is a native of the town of Warwick, N. Y., and established his present business in 1883. He was appointed postmaster under Cleveland in 1884; had charge of the post-office under Harrison, and was re-appointed postmaster in 1892, during Cleveland's second term. His present appointment dates from June 25, 1900. Mr. Green has served two terms as town collector, and one term as poor master. Green's Hall is utilized for the transaction of the affairs of the town of Wawayanda.
WILLIAM R. GREEN was born January 12, 1859, on the homestead farm between Chester and Florida. He attended school at the Somerville district school, Chester Academy and Eastman's College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He married Anna May Dill, of Burnside, N. Y., November 12, 1890. Their one child, Josephine, was born February 29, 1892. Mr. Green was twice married, his first wife having died May 27, 1894. He married for a second wife Clara B. Tuthill, of Goshen, June 1, 1898. To this union were born two children, Irene Tuthill, and William R., Jr. In politics Mr. Green is a republican. He is a member of the Grange and the Chester Presbyterian church.
OSCAR S. GREENLEAF, proprietor of the Greenleaf Hotel of Otisville, N. Y., was born July 16, 1876. He is a son of John E. Greenleaf, born September 15, 1852, and Sarah Jennie (Shaw) Greenleaf, born August 16, 1853. In 1884 John E. Greenleaf rented the hotel, then known as the Blizzard House, and conducted it two years, after which he purchased the Washington Hotel, which he continued until his death, April 22, 1894. His wife died March 25, 1905.
There were seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. John E. Greenleaf, Charles D., born September 28, 1874, superintendent of the Borden Creamery at Thompson, Pa.; Grace M., wife of Charles Hoyt, of Mount Hope, born March 15, 1878; Edwin H. born July 22, 1880, residing at Newburgh, N. Y., plant superintendent of the Hudson River Telephone Company; Lillian, born May 22, 1882, residing in New York City; Frank B., born August 8, 1884, assistant agent of Erie Railroad at Otisville, N. Y.; James Acker, born June 6, 1886, and Oscar S.
The primary education of our subject was obtained at the district school at Mapledale in the town of Wallkill, after which he assisted his father in the hotel until his death. He then assumed the management of the hotel. Mr. Greenleaf was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Craig, daughter of A. J. and Mary Etta Craig, of Otisville, N. Y., May 6, 1903. One child has blessed this union, Oscar B., born March 27, 1905. Socially Mr. Greenleaf is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. and A. M., of Middletown, N. Y., and Midland Chapter No. 240, R. A. M. In politics he is a republican.
JOHN L. GREGORY, one of Middletown's representative and esteemed citizens, was born September 28, 1841, at Monroe, Orange County, N. Y. His father was John S. and mother Nancy R. (Strong) Gregory. Mr. Gregory attained his early education at the academy at Monroe. After his schooling he learned the harness trade with his father, who died in 1906 at the age of eighty-eight years. The son assumed control of the business, which he conducted successfully for twenty years. His mother died in 1905 at the age of sixty-five years. Mr. Gregory came to Middletown and erected a handsome flat building called the "Gregorian," and is largely identified in real estate interests in the city. He married Angeline Babcock, of Monroe, November 27, 1877. Five children have been born to this union, Anna Louise, born August 17, 1878; Ruth B., born July 31, 1880; C. Alice, born June 18, 1886; and Marguerite, born August 18, 1896. Mr. Gregory and his estimable wife are members of St. Paul's church. In politics he is a republican.
ANDREW J. GUMAER was born at Godeffroy, Orange County, N. Y., November 4, 1833. His parents were Peter E. Gumaer and Ester Cuddeback. Our subject obtained his education at the district school and the Goshen Academy. After his schooling he worked in a general store and on the farm at Godeffroy. In 1872 he removed to Guymard, this county, and opened a general store, which he has since continued.
He married for his first wife Anna E. Strong, October 8, 1862, daughter of Augustus and Mary (Comstock) Strong. They had one child, who died in infancy. Mr. Gumaer chose for his second wife Adelia P. Strong, January 4, 1868. To this union were born three children, William J., Andrew and Annie E. In politics Mr. Gumaer is independent. The family attend the Dutch Reformed Church.
CHAUNCEY I. GUMAER was born February 20, 1860, at Godeffroy, Orange County, N. Y. He attended the district school, after which he removed to Alma, Colorado, in 1879, engaging in the general mercantile business for a period of twenty-three years. He was also identified with mining at the same place. He returned to Orange County in 1902, and has since been engaged in mining at Guymard, for the Guymard Lead and Zinc Mining Company, of which Mr. Gumaer is president, he married Miss Bell Graham, of Westtown, for his first wife, and she died in Colorado. For his second wife he married Alma G. Petterson, of Alma, Colorado. Their three children are Lucile G.. Helen J. and Alma M. In politics Mr. Gumaer is independent. His father, Peter L. Gumaer, was born January 29, 1827, in the old stone house near Godeffroy, Orange County, N. Y. When he became fifteen years of age he engaged in the general merchandise business with his brother, which they conducted for a period of twenty years. He afterward removed to Guymard and opened a general store and conducted a summer hotel, which was destroyed by fire in 1892. He has been postmaster at Guymard since 1865. Mr. Gumaer married Sarah Jane Mulock, of Greenville, N. Y., in 1853, and she died November 30, 1907. There were six children born to them, Georgeina I., Laertes W., Chauncey I., Franklin P., George S. and Marie Louise. Mr. Gumaer was formerly a member of Hoffman Lodge, F. and A. M. Peter L. Gumaer with his brothers, built the road connecting the Neversink Valley road with the Newburgh, Goshen and Carpenter's Point turnpike. They also constructed the suspension bridge across the Neversink River. It was through this movement the lead and zinc mines at Guymard were discovered, which has produced twenty million tons of lead and zinc ore.
SAMUELHADDEN,a well known citizen of Chester, N. Y., (a portrait of whom appears in another part of this volume), is of French Huguenot descent, and was born in Rockland County, March 19, 1828. His father died of cholera in 1832, and in 1835 his mother married Edward Bellamy. They removed to Florida, Orange County, in 1839, where Samuel attended school and also assisted on the farm. When eighteen years of age he learned the trade of carriage making at Vail's Gate, Orange County. On April 12, 1852, he accepted the position of foreman of James Hallock & Sons carriage manufactory at Sugar Loaf. March 8, 1854, he removed to Chester Depot and purchased the business of Henry Wood, which he conducted until 1888. He was president of the village of Chester two terms, has been town collector and supervisor five terms and for twenty-five years has served as inspector of election. He joined the Presbyterian Church March 17, 1849, and since that time has been a consistent and active member, serving as elder of the church for thirty years. He is a member of the local grange. He married Eliza Jane McGill, of Cornwall, May 7, 1851, and they have had three children, Alice J., Clara and Eugene. Clara died at the age of thirty years. Mr. Hadden's wife died March 10, 1903. His mother's children, two sons and two daughters by her first husband, and one son and a daughter by her second, are all dead, excepting Samuel and John. The mother died in her eighty-first year. Mr. Hadden's farm of one hundred acres is the farm on which the ancestors of Secretary Seward were born and raised. This locality was at that time called Sommerville. He exhibited vehicles at the state fair held in Elmira, N. Y., in 1855, and secured second premium. His exhibits at the Orange County fair have always taken first premium.
JESSE HALBERT was born on a farm near Lake, Orange County, August 20, 1842. He and a brother, Albert Ruggles, are the only two living of the six children of Ezra and Phila Ann Halbert. His mother died in 1844 and his father in 1873. Jesse acquired his education at the district school, after which he followed agricultural pursuits and has remained a farmer. He has a dairy farm of two hundred and sixteen acres and is a breeder of Holstein cattle. He married Miss Emily Bates, of Morristown, N. J., May 29, 1878, and their two living children are Ezra, horn May 5, 1879, and Clarence, born July 25, 1881. Another son, Alfred, born January 13, 1883, died January 11, 1900. Ezra and Clarence have three hundred and seventy acres. Ezra is a member of Warwick Grange, a Republican and an energetic and progressive farmer.
DR. CHARLES H. HALL, a practicing physician at Monroe, N. Y., was born in Warwick, Orange County, in 1861. He was educated at the State Normal School at Albany and received his medical training from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore. He graduated in 1891 and has since practiced at Monroe. In 1901 he was appointed surgeon to the Erie Railroad. Dr. Hall is a member of the county and state medical societies and enjoys an extensive practice. He married Miss Tillie J. Mitchell, of New York and three daughters have been born to them. Dr. Hall is a son of Alva and Dermeda (Hunter) Hall. His ancestors settled in Orange County previous to the Revolution and took an active part in the nation's struggle for liberty, his great-grandfather, John Hall, being a Revolutionary soldier, who, it is supposed, was a son of Lyman Hall, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
GEORGE E. HALLIDAY, of Newburgh, was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1874. He has resided in Newburgh since infancy, and was educated at the schools of this city. In 1887 he associated himself in the shoe business with J. M. Stoutenburgh, with whom he remained five years; later with Sol. Cohen, and in 1905 the shoe firm of Halliday and Van Buren was organized, which continued two years, and in May of 1907 Mr. Halliday opened his present emporium.
Mr. Halliday is identified with the Masonic fraternity, a member of the Wheelmen's Club, the Canoe and Boating Association and the Orange Lake Yacht Club.
In 1907 he was united in marriage with Miss Marion, daughter of the late John Gail Borden, for many years president of the widely known Borden Condensed Milk Company.
CHARLES E. HAND, a prominent farmer, who resided for many years near Mountainville, Orange County, N Y., was born in the town of Cornwall in 1852, and died suddenly February 20, 1908. After finishing his education at the district and Newburgh schools, he learned the carpenter's trade. Following his marriage to Miss Emma C Smith, he purchased a farm in the town of Woodbury. This consisted originally of three hundred and fifty acres. A portion of this land he sold to the Erie Railroad for the construction of their new branch.
Politically Mr. Hand was a Republican and took a very active part in local public matters. He served as school trustee many years, and in 1904 was elected justice of the peace. He was master of the Mountainville Grange and past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias.
Our subject was a son of Edward S. and Charity (Mailler) Hand. He is survived by his wife and three children. One son is senior member of the firm of Hand & Brooks, real estate brokers, of Newburgh, N. Y.
WILLIAM HARER, who conducts a billiard, pool, bowling and cigar establishment in Highland Falls, purchased this business in 1906 from his uncle, Edward F. Farrell, continuing it with much success. His father, William Harer, and his mother, who was formerly Miss Farrell, were old residents of this locality. Our subject was born in this village in 1882, where he received his education at the public schools. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and enjoys an unusual degree of popularity among his fellow citizens.
JAMES HARRISON (deceased), senior member of the firm of Harrison & Gore, silk manufacturers, Newburgh, N. Y., born Yorkshire, England, 1840. At the age of six years he came with his parents to Newburgh. After finishing his studies, he engaged with his father in the manufacture of woolen goods. In 1877 he owned the business, operating two mills and continued therein until 1892, when he changed his product to silk and formed a partnership with his son-in-law, Mr. Gore, and his sons, F. J. Harrison and Jas. Harrison, Jr. Mr. Harrison was one of the original directors of the Y. M. C. A. and trustee of Grace M. E. Church. He was twice married; his first wife, who was Miss Lull, died in 1898. In 1899 he married Mrs. Caroline A. Foreman (nee Ely), principal of a New York school. Mr. Harrison was a son of Joshua and Mary A. (Emsley) Harrison, both natives of England. Mr. Harrison died June 13, 1907.
JOHN J. E. HARRISON, manufacturer, Newburgh, and ex-supervisor Sixth ward; born Rock City, Dutchess County, May 30, 1846; graduated from Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie; opened a general store in West Broadway, Newburgh, 1876, also dealing extensively in fleece wool. In 1897 he succeeded to the business of the Brown Lime Company, in which he is at present engaged. Mr. Harrison is a veteran of the Civil War, was wounded at Devoe's Neck in a skirmish; served in Company B, Fifty-sixth New York State Volunteers (Tenth Legion); member Fullerton Post, G. A. R.; identified with Masonic fraternity and I. O. O. F. In politics Republican. In 1907 he was chosen chairman of the board of supervisors of Orange County.
WILLIAM C. HART, a prominent agriculturist of East Walden, was born in the town of Montgomery, December 18, 1843; the only son of Henry C. and Hannah Jane (Overheiser) Hart. He has resided since childhood on the well-known farm "Sycamore Place."
November 18, 1869, he married Elizabeth Mould, daughter of the late Hamilton Morrison. Two sons, Henry Melvin and Robert Clarence, have been born to them.
Mr. Hart is a member of the First Reformed Church at Walden; a director of the Orange County Agricultural Society; one of the founders and secretary of the Wallkill Valley Farmers' Association. In 1894, Mr. Hart originated and has since published theAnnual Souvenirof this organization—a publication of much artistic merit.
GENERAL HENRY C. HASBROUCK was born in Newburgh, N. Y., October 26, 1839, and is a son of William C. and Mary E. (Roe) Hasbrouck. He was appointed a cadet of the Military Academy, July 1, 1856; second lieutenant, Fourth Artillery, May 6, 1861; first lieutenant, May 14, 1861; captain, July 26, 1866; major, March 5, 1887; lieutenant-colonel, October 29, 1896; colonel, February 13, 1899. In 1898 he was appointed brigadier-general, U. S. V., commanding the second division of the Second Army Corps, and appointed brigadier-general of the regular army December 1, 1902. He retired January 5, 1903. General Hasbrouck was commandant of cadets United States Military Academy at West Point, N. Y., from 1882 to 1888. He was a member of the board in 1888 that prepared the infantry, cavalry and artillery drill regulations adopted by the War Department for use in the United States Army. General Hasbrouck married Miss Laetitia Viele Warren, October 26, 1882. They now reside in Newburgh.
General Hasbrouck is a direct descendant of Abraham Hasbrouck, one of the twelve New Paltz patentees. He married Mary Deyo; their son Joseph married Elsie Schoonmaker; their son Benjamin married Elidia Schoonmaker, and their son Cornelius married Janet Keho, who became the parents of William C. as noted above.
PHILLIP HASBROUCK, a retired citizen of Walden, N. Y., who has served Orange County as Superintendent of the Poor for a period of nine years, is a descendant of the old Ulster County family of Hasbroucks who settled in New Paltz previous to 1677. He is a son of Joseph and Sarah (Le Fever) Hasbrouck and was born in the village of New Paltz and educated at the schools of that place. His younger days were spent in farming, after which he conducted a lumber, coal and feed business with much success in Walden. He is now vice-president of the Schrade Cutlery Company. Politically, Mr. Hasbrouck is a Republican and has been very active in promoting the interests of his party. Mr. Hasbrouck married Miss Mary Matthews, daughter of the late George Matthews, who, up to the time of his death, was vice-president of the New York Knife Works.
WILLIAM GEORGE HASTINGS, son of James and Mary J. (Brown) Hastings, was born in Newburgh, N. Y., and died at Albany, June 28, 1907. Mr. Hastings was educated at the public schools of Newburgh and Siglar's Preparatory School.
From early manhood he was identified with the Republican party, and was an earnest worker for its success. He served as deputy postmaster under Joseph A. Sneed and was later private secretary to ex-Governor Odell while the latter was congressman.
In 1904 Mr. Hastings was elected member of assembly from the First District of Orange County, and re-elected in 1905 and again in 1906, and at each term of the legislature was appointed to important committees.
Mr. Hastings was prominent in Masonic circles; he was a veteran of the Tenth Separate Company; a member of the Odd Fellows, Ringgold Hose Company, Newburgh Wheelmen and Newburgh City Club.
In 1891 Mr. Hastings was united in marriage with Miss May E. Moore, of Newburgh. One daughter, Mildred, was born to them.
Few men of Orange County were so popular as Mr. Hastings, and much sorrow was felt by his fellow citizens when it became known that their brilliant genial representative at Albany had been called from earth.
REV. WARREN HATHAWAY, D. D., who has held the pastorate of the Blooming Grove Congregational Church for forty years, was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., in 1828, a son of Rev. Levi and Rhoda (Miller) Hathaway. His education was obtained at Oberlin College, Ohio, and it was there he began his clerical studies. He was ordained in Connecticut and his first charge was in the town of Lebanon, Conn., where he remained a year and a half. He was then transferred to Fall River for a period of six years, following which he held a pastorate at Medway, Greene County, N. Y., until 1866, when he came to Blooming Grove. By his first wife, who was Miss Cornelia Day, Dr. Hathaway had five children, three of whom are living. For his second wife he chose Miss Elizabeth H. Miller. Although nearly four score years of age. Dr. Hathaway is very active in the affairs of the church, with which he has been identified so many years.
IRA A. HAWKINS. The Hawkins family traces its origin far back into England's earliest history. The first to come to America were Robert Hawkins and his wife, Mary, who came over in the good ship "Elizabeth and Ann," Captain Cooper, master, in 1635, and settled in Charlestown, Mass.
Moses Hawkins was born October 8, 1763, and came to Orange County in 1790. He married Phebe Harlow, and settled in East Division, town of Goshen, on the farm now occupied by his great grandson, Frank T. Hawkins. They had three sons, Benjamin, Ira and Samuel, and one daughter, Mary, who married Joshua Howell.
Ira, born January 31, 1796, married May 17, 1821, Hannah, daughter of General Abram and Esther Rockwell Vail. They settled on a farm near Chester, where they lived fifty years. They had six children. Their eldest son, James, born June 3, 1822, married Adaline Green, daughter of John and Julia Roe Green, in 1844. In the following year they removed to Hamptonburgh, at which place he established his home, and remained on the same farm until his death in 1887. He was trustee and elder of the First Presbyterian Church of Hamptonburgh. Their children were William Green; James R. V. Iraeneus, who died in infancy; Adaline Green, married Alfred E. Ivers, of Allendale, N. J.; Charles Francis; M. Jennie, married James L. Price, of Hamptonburgh and Ira A.
Having become a widower in 1865, on October 28, 1868, he married Emily A., daughter of George W. and Hester A. (Sanford) Price, of Hamptonburgh. They had one son, George W. P., and one daughter, Emma Antoinette, married John Budd Gregory, who now occupy the homestead farm.