Precinct of New Windsor.
Clinton W. Wisner
Precinct of Mamakating
Precinct of Goshen.
Minisink District.
Colonel Knox's HQ
Blooming Grove District
Precinct of Cornwall.
Oscar Cochran
In Newburgh precinct the "Committee of Safety and Observation," appointed January 27, 1775, consisted of Wolvert Acker, Jonathan Hasbrouck, Thomas Palmer, John Belknap, Joseph Coleman, Moses Higby, Samuel Sands, Stephen Case, Isaac Belknap, Benjamin Birdsall and John Robinson.
In New Windsor precinct the committee appointed May 6, 1775, consisted of Col. James Clinton, Capt. James McClaughry, John Nicoll, John Nicholson, Nathan Smith, Robert Boyd, Jr., Samuel Brewster, Samuel Sly, Samuel Logan. In May, 1776, the committee became: Samuel Brewster, chairman; Robert Boyd, Jr., Nathan Smith, Hugh Humphrey, George Denniston, John Nicholl, Col. James McClaughry, Samuel Arthur.
In the precinct of Mamakating, John Young, chairman of committee, certified that the pledge was signed by all the freeholders and inhabitants of the precinct, June 26, 1775.
In the precinct of Goshen the committee appointed September 14, 1775, consisted in part of Isaac Nicoll, Benjamin Gale, Moses Hetfield, Daniel Everett, James Little, Joshua Davis, with Daniel Everett as Chairman. Later the names of John Hathorn, John Jackson, Henry Wisner, John Minthornes and Nathaniel Ketchum were chairman at different times.
In the Cornwall precinct, 1775, the committee consisted of Hezekiah Howell, Archibald Little, Elihu Marvin, Nathaniel Satterly, Nathaniel Strong, Jonathan Brooks, Stephen Gilbert, Zachariah Du Bois, with Thomas Moffat as chairman.
In the precinct of Hanover no names of pledge-signers were reported, but the committee, appointed May 8, 1775, consisted of Dr. Charles Clinton, chairman; Alexander Trimble, Arthur Parks, William Jackson, Henry Smith, Jacob Newkirk, James Latta, Philip Mole, John Wilkin, James McBride, James Milliken, Samuel Barkley.
In the precinct of Wallkill there was no return of pledge-signers, but the committee, Jan. 30, 1775, consisted of Abimael Youngs, chairman; James Wilkins, Hezekiah Gale, Moses Phillips, Henry Wisner, Jr.
The county committee of Orange in 1776 had Elihu Marvin, of Cornwall, for chairman, and David Pye was deputy chairman for Haverstraw and Orangetown. Robert Boyd, of New Windsor, was chairman for Ulster County.
The Committees of Safety and Observation began immediately to gather arms, and later to arrest inimical or suspected persons and bring them to trial.
With few exceptions the inhabitants of Orange and Ulster Counties were loyal, earnest and active for the cause of Independence. In the early years of the war the militia was efficient in guarding the frontiers, constructing Highland forts and placing obstructions to navigation in the Hudson River; and two of the companies took part in the expedition to Canada of 1775. In 1776 one-fourth of the militia of the two counties was "drawn out for the defense of the State" and stationed along the Highlands. They consisted of two regiments from Orange commanded by Colonel Isaac Nicoll, and one from Ulster commanded by Colonel Levi Paulding. In December, after the British had captured New York, a more general requisition was made, and men were obliged to leave their families and stock unprovided for, which caused great disaffection for a time; but after General Washington's victory at Trenton they were permitted to return home.
In 1777 George and James Clinton were in command on the west side of the Hudson, and General Putnam on the east side. Burgoyne, with an army of 3,000 men, marching down from Canada, had reached Saratoga, and Howe, with another army, was marching to capture Philadelphia, when, about September 20, 3,000 British and Hessian soldiers arrived in New York and joined the army of Sir Henry Clinton. Thus reinforced Clinton soon started to force his way up the Hudson, and on October 6, approached Forts Montgomery and Clinton, defended by some 400 of Colonel Du Bois's Regiment and Lamb's Artillery, and about 200 militia, mostly from Orange and Ulster Counties. They made a gallant defense, but finally overwhelmed by superior numbers, were obliged to retreat, leaving behind them 300 in killed, wounded and prisoners. In Governor Clinton's report to General Washington of the fight at Fort Montgomery he said that Sir Henry Clinton commanded in person; that the enemy was repeatedly driven back by grape shot from a field-piece and the well-directed fire of musketry during their approach; that the militia retreated to the fort, when a demand to surrender was refused; and that the enemy's superior numbers finally forced the works on all sides. If expected reinforcements had reached the fort it was believed that the enemy would have been defeated. Many militiamen were in the mountains, but their communications had been cut off. There were not more than 600 men in both the forts, while the attacking army numbered 3,000. Governor Clinton escaped across the Hudson, and many of his men were bayoneted after the works were taken. Du Bois's Continental Regiment and Lamb's Artillery bore the brunt of the fight. The following other regiments were represented in small numbers; Colonel Allison's from Goshen, commanded by himself; Colonel James Clinton's from New Windsor, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel James McClaughry; Colonel Harbourg's from Newburgh, commanded by Colonel Masten; Colonel Jesse Woodhull's from Cornwall, commanded by Colonel Du bois.
Sir Henry Clinton's ships moved on up the Hudson, and Putnam's and Clinton's troops followed. The British Commander caused Kingston to be burned, and here, receiving the news of Burgoyne's surrender, turned back. His army tarried a few days in the Highlands to complete the destruction of the forts, and then sailed to New York, and the militia returned home.
The Indians on the western frontier of Orange and beyond were still nursing grievances against the colonists, and were easily won over to the British side by diplomatic agents. Their depredations began again in 1777, when the family of a Mr. Sprague in the northern part of the Minisink was attacked and some of them taken prisoners. Next they killed some of the family of a Mr. Brooks, and took the rest prisoners. In 1778 the upper Minisink was invaded by about 100 Indians, under the famous warrior chief, Brandt, and on Oct. 13 they attacked two dwellings, killed three persons and destroyed much grain and stock. The settlers repaired to the forts of Gumaer's and De Witt's, and the Indians after following and firing a few times at them from a distance, went away.
The Committee of Safety for Minisink in 1778 consisted of Benjamin DePuy, Philip Swartout and Ezekiel Gumaer, and they ordered the erection of five forts, three in the upper neighborhood, and two in the lower. These could not accommodate all of the fifty families in what is now Deer Park, and many women and children were sent to the older settlements. Scouting parties were sent out under command of Captain Bezaliel Tyler, and persons suspected of aiding the Indians were imprisoned or banished. Small companies of nine months militia were obtained to garrison the forts.
Webb Horton