Politically Mr. Rudolph is a republican and has always taken an active part to advance the interests of his party. He has represented his ward in the common council, and in 1902 was elected a member of the board of supervisors and continuously re-elected to serve until December 31, 1907.
ARCHIBALD E. RUGGLES was born at Windsor, Vt. His parents were Edgar M. and Emma S. Ruggles. He acquired his early education at the public school in his home town. At an early age Mr. Ruggles identified himself with a clothing firm in Claremont, N. H., and was there seven years, after going to New Berlin, N. Y., where he took the management of a store. In April, 1902, he purchased the John E. Adams store in Middletown, which he still operates. He was married to Miss Minnie L. Ainsworth, of Claremont, N. H., October 18, 1899. In politics Mr. Ruggles is a republican. Socially he is a member of Phoebus Lodge, No. 82, F. and A. M., of New Berlin, N. Y., and of Concordia Council, No. 1077, Royal Arcanum, of Middletown. He was elected exalted ruler of the Elks' Lodge, No. 1097, of Middletown, N. Y., at the institution of the lodge, December 31, 1907.
GEORGE M. SANFORDwas the third son of the late Deacon Ezra Sanford, and was born in the town of Warwick on November 5, 1821. His mother was the late Adeline Terry. His brothers were Pierson Ezra (and only survivor), Uriah Terry and William More. His sisters were Hester Ann Price, Mary Elizabeth, Julia A. Morehouse, Abigail Gabriel and Emily S. Tuttle. The two last named are still living. He married Frances Amelia, a daughter of the late Captain Nathaniel Wheeler Baird. They celebrated their golden wedding in 1897. Mr. Sanford died on January 6, 1900, and left surviving his widow and the following children: Lansing Haight (who died the same year), Ferdinand Van Derveer, George Alden, Mary Elizabeth, John Wheeler and Francis Baird. Lansing Haight left one child, Mrs. Edward W. Everitt, of Newark, N. J.
Mr. Sanford was one of Warwick's most un-ostentatious and sterling citizens. He was for many years prominent in business and associated with the substantial and conservative institutions of the valley. He was one of the organizers and directors of the First National Bank, a promoter and director of the Warwick Valley Railroad Company, succeeded by the present Lehigh and Hudson River Railway.
He was the first and continuous president of the Warwick Cemetery Association, a model for success and careful methods. He was a successful farmer and financier.
He was an ardent republican in politics and rarely missed voting. Without being an office seeker he was at one time the supervisor of the town. Being an ardent patriot and unable in the early sixties to qualify as a soldier and go to the front, he aided by recruiting between fifty and sixty men for service under his country's flag.
He had a most equable disposition; kindly and charitable. He took a great interest in young men and loved to help them, and not a few in the town owe much of success to the wise counsel and start in life he gave them.
A quiet vein of humor was always ready to manifest itself when that part of his nature was appealed to. He was also noted for his hospitable traits, and many, far and near, will testify to sharing the comforts and pleasantries of his attractive home.
JAMES EVERETT SANFORD was born at Sandfordville, near Warwick, January 21, 1859. His education was obtained at the public school at Warwick. After his schooling he was connected with the Demarest creamery near Warwick for nearly two years. He then clerked for A. J. Burt at Bellvale for two years, after which he took the management of the home farm. During the summer of 1887 Mr. Sanford traveled in Europe. In 1889 he became identified with R. C. Williams & Co., wholesale grocers, of New York, and continued with this firm nearly twelve years as traveling salesman. In the fall of 1901 he was elected county treasurer and served the county in an efficient manner for six years. Socially he is a member of Warwick Lodge No. 544, F. and A. M., Warwick Club and Sons of the Revolution. In politics he is a republican. He is treasurer and director of the Warwick Knife Co. and attends the Baptist Church of Warwick.
JOHN W. SANFORD. Among the leading business men of Warwick, none have done more for the up building and advancement of the town than the gentleman whose name heads this review. He was born May 13, 1864, at Warwick, Orange County, N. Y. His parents were George W. and Frances A. (Baird) Sanford. He obtained his early education at the public school, graduating in 1883, after which he took an agricultural course at Cornell. In 1889 he started in the insurance, real estate and brokerage business at Warwick. Mr. Sanford gives his personal attention to two farms, which are stocked with one hundred head of the finest cattle.
He married Miss Bertha M. Furman, of Warwick, October 6, 1897. They have two children: Frances Isabel, born February 11, 1900, and Bertha Elizabeth, born January 29, 1905. In politics he is a republican, and is identified with the Old Dutch Reformed Church of Warwick. He is a director of the First National Bank, president of Warwick Cemetery Association, director of Warwick Valley Telephone Company, director and treasurer Warwick Inn. Company, director and treasurer Unionville Water Works Company, director of the Florida Water Works Company and trustee Warwick Savings Bank.
WILLIAM MOORE SANFORD was born August 17, 1827. His parents were Ezra and Adaline (Terry) Sanford. He attended the district school in his locality, after which he attended a private school at Poultney, Vt., and college at Ann Arbor Mich. The subject of this sketch and his father were identified at Sandfordville, Orange County, in the tanning business until 1880, when William M. continued the business from that period until his death, which occurred August 17, 1887. He was reared on the Sanford homestead, about two miles from Warwick. He married Sarah Burt in October, 1856. They had seven children: Charles, engaged in business in Warwick; William, of New York; Everett, residing at home; Ezra, of New York; Mary, wife of Frank Durland, of Chester, N. Y.; Addie, wife of William R. Welling, of Warwick, and Emily, wife of A. M. Reynolds, of Newark, N. J. Mr. Sanford is survived by one brother and two sisters. In politics he was a republican and served as superintendent of the poor at the time of his death.
BENJAMIN B. SAYER was born March 11, 1859, on the homestead farm, near Warwick, N. Y., which has been in the family since 1768, and was purchased by Daniel Sayer, his great-grandfather, of Henry Wisner, who lived in the town of Goshen. He obtained his early education at the Warwick Institute and has always been identified with farming. He also operates a distillery on the farm, which was established in 1812. He married Miss Annie Wagoner, of Glenburnie, Ontario, Canada, March 15, 1893. Three children were born to this union: Helen Bennett, born December 18, 1893; Mary Eraser, born June 2, 1895, and Benjamin Wagoner, born December 9, 1896. In politics Mr. Sayer is independent. He is a member of Warwick Lodge, No. 544, F. and A. M., and the Warwick grange. The farm on which Mr. Sayer resides was the place first settled on by the Warwick pioneers.
GEORGE S. SAYER, for many years a leading business man and farmer of Westtown, N. Y., was born in 1812, and died in 1884. As a young man he taught school a few years, and in 1836 went to Indiana, where he remained ten years. In 1852 he resumed farming, near Westtown, and in 1872 built a store and home in the village. He married Emeline C. Evans and six children were born, Jonathan Sayer, now the postmaster at Westtown, being the second child. After finishing his schooling he assisted his father on the farm.
He married Miss Sarah Owen and two sons were born: George O., a lawyer in New York, and Robert E., who resides at Westtown. In 1902 Mr. Sayer was appointed postmaster, and the management of the farm, passed to his son, Robert E., who was born in 1876, and educated at the schools of Hackettstown. He chose for his wife Miss Frances Horton.
WILLIAM BENJAMIN SAYER. The Sayer family is of English extraction and is mentioned as living at Poddington, England, in 1309. This is the line from which the Thomas Sayer descended, who came from Bedfordshire, England, to Lynn, Mass., and from whom the Sayers in this country are descended. He built the old Sayer single house in 1648 at Southampton, Long Island, New York, said to be the oldest English house standing in New York State.
The Sayers came to Orange County in 1750. William Benjamin Sayer, a descendant of the above mentioned Sayers, now owns and occupies the stone house situated on Main street, Warwick, N. Y., which was built by Francis Baird in 1766. It was called the Stone Tavern and was used as one until 1830. The mechanics who built this house came from New York City, and when completed it was considered the model house in this section. The most of the timbers are hewed oak with wide pine plank floors. This house has been in the Sayer family since 1858. Among the distinguished persons who stopped at the house are General George Washington and wife, and the room on the northwest corner on the second story is said to have been the room where they slept. Here are kept a number of old time relics to show to friends. The present owner, W. B. Sayer, was born in this room, March 14, 1866, and has always lived in the house with his sister, Miss M. Eva Sayer.
Rev. James Manning, a Baptist minister, and his wife, from Providence, R. I., took dinner here Sunday, September 12, 1779. He said in his diary: "We had an elegant dinner and were treated very hospitably by Francis Baird."
Marquis De Chastelliux, major-general in the French army serving under Count Rochambeau, stayed all night here with his aides, December 6, 1781. He says: "I lodged at Warwick, at a very good inn kept by Mr. Smith, who rented of Francis Baird, and had every reason to be content with this establishment."
Henry Pelton, a prominent local historian and grandfather of our surveyor of that name, when he first came here, in 1805, stayed his first night in Warwick in this house. A picture of this house will be found in this volume.
THE SCHRADE CUTLERY COMPANY, of Walden, N. Y., is the youngest of the industries that have made that village the Sheffield of America. Established in a modest way April 19, 1904, by George and J. Louis Schrade, its growth has been very rapid and the value of their product now exceeds $100,000 worth annually. The plant which the company erected is a substantial frame structure, thirty by eighty-five feet, three stories in height, equipped with modern machinery and up-to-date methods of manufacture, employing about one hundred hands. One hundred different styles of pen and pocket knives are produced and the goods find a ready market all over the United States. The Schrade brothers are natives of Williamsport, Pa. George, the president of the company, has resided in Walden since 1894, and is the inventor, patentee and for ten years the sole manufacturer of the press button knife in connection with the Walden Knife Works. Mr. J. Louis Schrade came to Walden in 1904. He had previously been engaged in the manufacture of self-playing pianos in New York, Boston, London and Paris. Both brothers are members of the Masonic fraternity.
CHRISTIAN H. SCHARFF was born at Amsterdam, Holland, February 26, 1834. He came to America with his father, and the family settled in Newark, N. J. He was graduated from Princeton College in 1853, and studied law with Joseph P. Bradley (justice of supreme court). With James Buchanan, Henry formed the law partnership of Henry & Scharff, at No. 14 Wall street, New York City. Frances A. (Seward) Scharff was born at Florida, N. Y., April 16, 1836. She attended the Seward Institution at Florida and later the Grove Hall Seminary for young ladies at New Haven, Conn. She was united in marriage to Christian H. Scharff, January 27, 1859.
R. ED. SCHOFIELD was born at Port Jervis, N. Y., December 10, 1853. His parents were James H. and Marguerite Cole (Elston) Schofield. His early education was obtained at the public school and Port Jervis Academy. After his schooling he read law in the office of Judge O. P. Howell, and was admitted to the bar in 1885. October, 1890, he entered into partnership with Judge O. P. Howell and Mr. Parshall, the firm being Howell, Parshall & Schofield, which continued until September, 1893, when Mr. Parshall withdrew from the firm. Mr. Schofield continued with Judge Howell until January, 1896, and since that time has continued alone. He married Miss Mary J. Finn, of Port Jervis, N. Y., January 28, 1885. Their two children are James H. and Anna C., residing at home. In politics Mr. Schofield is a republican and has served the town in various offices. He has been clerk of the board of education for twenty-five years and is now president of the Co-Operative Loan and Savings Society. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
D. DEWITT SCHOONMAKER was born at Middletown, Orange County, N. Y. His early education was acquired at the Wallkill Academy, where he graduated in 1878. For two years he was engaged as traveling salesman, and one year in the merchandise business in Goshen, N. Y. Mr. Schoonmaker has not sought prominence in life, but has devoted himself entirely to his business. In 1882 he associated himself with the Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Co., holding the position of bookkeeper for three years and assistant superintendent for seventeen years. He has been identified with the Borden Condensed Milk Co. since 1902, and for the past three years has held the position of superintendent. April 21, 1897, he married Miss Mary J. McNish, of Middletown, N. Y. He is a member of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, F. and A. M., and served as foreman of Excelsior Hook and Ladder Company for three years.
JOHN SCHOONMAKER, for nearly half a century the foremost dry goods merchant in Orange County, was born in the town of Gardiner, Ulster County, N. Y., January 25, 1830, and died at his home in Newburgh, N. Y., January 1, 1904.
The Schoonmaker family is one of the oldest in this section of New York State. The progenitor of the family in America was Hendrick Jochemsen Schoonmaker, who came to America in 1654, in the military service of the Dutch West India Company. The records show he loaned money to Governor Stuyvesant "in time of need," and was active in the military duties made necessary by the troublous times. His grandson, Captain Frederick Schoonmaker, was one of the patriots and soldiers of the Revolution, who gave himself and his property to his country in its struggle for freedom from the British yoke.
John A. Schoonmaker, father of the subject of this sketch, was a son of Major Abraham Schoonmaker of Revolutionary fame (Fourth Regiment, Ulster County Militia). He married Rachel, eldest daughter of Gustavis and Maria (Terwilliger) Sammons. Ten children were born to them, of whom John was the tenth in order of birth. He was educated at Amenia Seminary, Dutchess County. He began work upon his father's farm and continued until he was twenty-two, teaching school at Gardiner for the last winter that he remained at home. In March, 1852, with his brother Jacob, he opened a general store at Tuttletown. Soon afterward his brother lost his life in the Henry Clay disaster on the Hudson, and in a short time the Tuttletown store was sold, Mr. Schoonmaker moving to Newburgh in the fall of 1853. His first employment was with Stephen Hayt, on Water street, for his board. In three months he took a clerkship with Isaac Wood, Jr., for three years, after which he had a position for a year with Mr. Parmalee, and again returned to the store of Isaac Wood, Jr., where, under Mr. Wood's guidance, he received and acquired experience that was invaluable to him in later years.
In 1863 Mr. Schoonmaker, with Samuel C. Mills and A. Y. Weiler, purchased the dry goods business of Colonel Wood, at the northeast corner of Water and Third streets. They conducted business under the firm name of Schoonmaker, Mills & Weiler. Half a dozen lines of boats between New York and Newburgh and market wagons from the surrounding country made Newburgh an active business center, where stores were open as early as five o'clock in the morning and frequently as late as eleven o'clock at night. In 1878 the firm occupied its newly completed building at Nos. 94 and 96 Water street. This was considered a notable improvement and the firm even then had the largest dry goods store in the city. Although at first only part of the building was occupied, in a few years increased business made it necessary to occupy the whole. Mr. Mills retired in 1885 and Mr. Weiler January 1, 1898. Mr. Schoonmaker's son, Samuel V., purchased Mr. Weller's interest and the firm became John Schoonmaker & Son.
Now the firm purchased the adjoining building on the north, still further increasing its capacity for business. Mr. Schoonmaker took an active interest in the affairs of the firm until his sudden illness in the latter part of 1902, and after a protracted period of hope and fear he died on January 1, 1904, at his home, 135 Grand street. He had thus been for many years the head of Newburgh's dry goods trade. His business acquaintance was very extensive and few men enjoyed such a reputation for honor, integrity and probity, his friends and acquaintances placing implicit confidence in him, which, throughout his career, was never violated. He was a public spirited citizen, always interested in the welfare and progress of Newburgh and contributed generously to projects which promised well for its advancement, yet he never sought public office or cared to appear prominently in public. His increasing business prevented him from entering politics, although he was a member of the board of health from 1885 to 1888, in which he rendered conscientious service. He was one of the organizers of the old Newburgh board of trade, and of its successor, the Newburgh Business Men's Association, of which his son was president. He earnestly aided by counsel and purse in the building of the Palatine Hotel. For thirty-seven years he was a trustee of the Newburgh Savings Bank and for a number of years its second vice-president. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, in which he was active and efficient, serving for many terms as trustee and elder. He was also deeply interested in Bethel Mission and chapel, serving as superintendent of the chapel while health permitted. He was a member of the Holland Society of New York from 1890 until the time of his death. He was married July 2, 1862, to Mary A. Vail. The children of this marriage, Samuel V. Schoonmaker, Mrs. W. Clement Scott and Miss Elizabeth M. Schoonmaker, are all residents of Newburgh.
THEODORE D. SCHOONMAKER was born in the town of Crawford, in the County of Orange, on the 28th day of December, 1836. He was the only son of Levi Schoonmaker and Julia Ann, his wife. Levi was a son of Edward Schoonmaker and Leah Rose, his wife, both of the town of Shawangunk, Ulster County, N. Y. Julia Ann was the daughter of Samuel Butler and Sarah, his wife, both of the town of Goshen, Orange County, N. Y.
The subject of this sketch received a common school and academic education, taught school in the counties of Chemung, Ulster and Orange for several years, was brought up a farmer, which occupation he followed till January 1, 1868, when he was appointed by the then surrogate, Honorable Gilbert O. Hulse, his brother-in-law, clerk of the surrogate's court of the county of Orange, which position he has occupied ever since continuously, being appointed by the successive surrogates to that office. He was stenographer to the surrogate's court from 1870 till the year 1903, and was also for several years assistant stenographer for the second judicial district of this state, and also served as county court stenographer under County Judges Honorables Stephen W. Fullerton and Charles F. Brown, and also stenographer to the Dutchess County court under Honorables Henry M. Taylor and B. Platt Carpenter. In 1889 he was elected one of the trustees of the village of Goshen, after a bitter and arduous campaign, to which office he has been reelected for six terms of two years each, without any opposition, and is now one of such trustees.
He has four children living, two having died in infancy: Anna Frances, wife of Thomas Mould, of the firm of Thompson & Mould; Theodore F., of Hartford, Conn., traveling salesman; Mary Adele, at home, and Charles B., civil and construction engineer.
ANDREW SCHRIVER, residing on a farm near Chester, N. Y., was born December 16, 1840, at Lagrange, Dutchess County, N. Y. His early education was obtained at the Unionville Seminary. He joined Company A, One Hundred and Forty-fourth New York Volunteers, and served in the Civil War for three years, after which he joined the New York conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and actively followed the ministry for thirty-seven years, and for six years was presiding elder of the Newburgh district. Mr. Schriver is now retired and resides on the Oak Lane farm of one hundred and forty acres, near Chester, N. Y. He makes a specialty of breeding and exhibiting Hampshire sheep, Guernsey cattle and fancy poultry. He married Alida Wiltsie, of Albany County, April 24, 1877. Their five children are: Hiram W., Newman E., Paul R., Charlotte and Frank. Mr. Schriver is a republican and takes an active interest in politics. He is one of the managers of the Orange County Agricultural Society.
FRANK A. SCOTT, architect and builder, of Newburgh, was born here July 18, 1830, a son of John and Jane (Gedney) Scott. The Gedney family is of French-Huguenot origin. David Gedney came from France and located in Newburgh in 1754. Mr. Scott attended the old Glebe School, of which some years ago he made a very accurate drawing from memory. At the age of seventeen he went to New York City to learn the builders' trade and study architecture. In 1863 Mr. Scott went west and was engaged in business in Montana, Colorado and Missouri. Since 1872 he has made his home in his native city and has erected many buildings in the Hudson Valley. In 1852 he married Miss Mary Banks, of Ulster County. They have two daughters: Elsie Banks and Anna Gedney. In 1894 Mr. Scott received from Mayor Odell the appointment of excise commissioner and served as president of the board. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and trustee of the Unitarian Church.
W. CLEMENT SCOTT, secretary and treasurer of the Newburgh Planing Mill, was born in Newburgh in 1869, and is a son of the late Hon. David A. Scott. His education was obtained at Newburgh Academy and Yale College, from which he graduated with the degree of A.B. in 1893. He has been connected with the above firm since 1899 and is identified with local social organizations. In 1897 he married Miss Mary L., daughter of John Schoonmaker. Two children have been born to them: Elizabeth M. and William C., Jr.
FRANK H. SCUDDER, treasurer of Middletown, was born November 19, 1871, in Otisville, Orange County, and graduated from the Otisville public school. He learned telegraphy and was operator for the Erie Railroad from 1888 to 1892, and for the Ontario & Western Railroad from the last date to 1900. He was then transferred to the traffic department of the Ontario & Western as assistant to the traveling freight agent, which position he still holds. He was elected city treasurer of Middletown in 1904, and his third term in this office expired January 1, 1908. He is a member of the Concordia Council, Royal Arcanum, and also of the Monhagen Hose Company. Politically he is a republican. He married Miss Elizabeth E. Scott, of Jersey City, N. J., October 12, 1904, and both are members of the First Presbyterian Church of Middletown.
HENRY SEACORD, republican, who represents the first assembly district of Orange County in the assembly, was born September 19, 1829, at Lincolndale (formerly known as St. David's Corners, or Decker's Mills), and has resided there since. The Seacord family are direct descendants of the French Huguenots that fled from Rochel, France, in the year 1684, went to England, and from there to America in 1684, and Amroise Sicard, a French Protestant refugee, of La Rochelle, France, who fled to England in 1682, and from there came to America in 1684, locating at New Rochelle, Westchester County, and in the year 1692, on February 9, bought from William La Count land on which is now the city of New Rochelle. Mr. Seacord's father represented Orange County in the assembly in 1846, as a free soil democrat, but when the republican party was organized he came out as a republican and was made chairman of the mass meeting and appointed the committee which organized the party in the county.
At an early age Mr. Seacord entered his father's blacksmith shop, to learn the trade, which he followed until the year 1891, when he left the forge and engaged in the real estate and insurance business, which he still follows.
He was present and took part in the organization of the republican party in Orange County in the year 1855, and has taken an active part in its councils ever since. He has attended many of the state, county and district conventions, and was acquainted with Horace Greeley, Roscoe Conkling, President Arthur and many others of their time.
He was elected to represent his town in the board of supervisors in 1876, being the first republican supervisor elected from the town of Hamptonburgh. In the fall of 1876 the town gave a democratic majority of sixty-seven out of a total vote of two hundred and ninety-five.
He was elected to the assembly in 1907, receiving 5,625 votes, while his democratic opponent received 4,871.
Speaker Wadsworth, in 1908, appointed Mr. Seacord a member of the assembly committees on insurance and agriculture.
WILLIAM H. SEACORD was born at Lincolndale, Orange County. N. Y., formerly known as Decker's, July 17, 1860. After leaving the district school he learned blacksmithing, and when twenty-one years old engaged in business for himself.
He married Charlotte E. Crans, May 31, 1883. Their children are: Barbara A., Andrew W., H. Stanley, Charlotte C. and Ralph P. Barbara is a teacher in the Lincolndale school, and Andrew is taking a course in mechanical engineering at Cornell University. Mr. Seacord, besides his general blacksmithing business, conducts a carriage repository. He is a member of Hamptonburgh Grange No. 950.
BENJAMIN CHANDLER SEARS was born in Montgomery, February, 1836, where his father, Marcus Sears, M. D., then resided. His grandfather, Benjamin Sears, was appointed sheriff of Ulster County by Governor George Clinton, February, 1793. His mother was a daughter of Richard Caldwell, captain of the Twenty-fifth United States Infantry, who, on the march to the Canadian frontier, died from exposure, and was buried at Champlain, N. Y., in 1812. Dr. Sears soon removed to Blooming Grove, and Benjamin C. attended the public school there, Chester Academy and Montgomery Academy, under Joseph M. Wilkin. He entered the junior class of Rutgers College and graduated in 1857 with the Suydam prize for English composition, and the degree of A. B., receiving later the degree of A. M.; was a charter member of the Zeta Psi Club of New York and trustee of the chapter house of the Sigma Psi fraternity at Rutgers.
On graduating he came to the farm upon which he now resides, which was purchased by his great-grandfather, John Chandler, in 1793, containing about forty acres, which, by purchase, he has increased to four hundred acres. In carrying on the farm, he is associated with James B. Howell and his son, Marcus Caldwell Sears, who graduated from Rutgers in the class of '91 with first honor, taking also a special course in agriculture. The firm kept a dairy of one hundred or more cows, the milk from which is largely bottled on the farm, and until March, 1906, was delivered directly to consumers from the Blooming Grove Ayrshire Dairy, 445 West Nineteenth street, New York City, but now is distributed by others.
In 1866 he married Phoebe E., daughter of Edmund S. Howell, of Blooming Grove. In 1878 he was democratic candidate for state senator. A year later he was appointed on the commission to appraise damages to property in building the West Shore and Ontario & Western Railroads. For five years he was superintendent of the farm attached to Rutgers, the State Agricultural College of New Jersey, and associate lecturer on farming. For several years he was vice-president of the Ayrshire Breeders' Association. He was director of the Orange County Agricultural Society from 1877 to 1899, and vice-president from 1889 to 1901. He was an elder in the Second Presbyterian Church of Washingtonville, until it was dissolved, and since then has been deacon in the Blooming Grove Congregational Church.
HON. ALBERT H. F. SEEGER, county judge of Orange County, N. Y., was born in the city of Stuttgart, Württemberg, Germany, in 1859. His parents came to America in 1861, settling in Goshen, N. Y. In 1867 the family moved to Newburgh, and it was here the subject of this sketch obtained his education and has since resided. After graduating from the academy in 1875, he read law in the office of Judge Dickey, and was admitted to the bar in 1880.
Judge Seeger is a tireless worker and has built up a very extensive and lucrative practice. For a number of years he was assistant district attorney, and in 1903 was elected district attorney. In 1906 he was elected to the office of county judge.
GEORGE SEELY was born March 27, 1837. His parents were Edward and Julia Ann (Satterly) Seely. Mr. Seely attained his education at the district school and Old Chester Academy. He now occupies the homestead in which his grandfather and great-grandfather lived. The house is now over one hundred and fifty years old. George Seely was united in marriage to Miss Helen M. Butler, of Rochester, N. Y., September 17, 1868. Their one child, Gaylord B., was born March 3, 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Seely are members of the Chester Presbyterian Church and Mr. Seely is a member of the Chester Grange No. 984. In politics he is a republican and has served the town in various offices. His wife is a member of the board of managers of the Home for Aged Women of Middletown, N. Y.
HOWARD DAVIS SEELY, who resides near Chester, was born January 27, 1878. He received his early education at the Chester Academy, afterward attending for two years the Military Academy at Cornwall-on-Hudson, graduating in 1898. His father, Fred B. Seely, died in July, 1891. He was a man of sterling worth in the community. Howard assumed control of the farm after his father's death, which is located about two miles from Chester. He is a large breeder of Holstein-Freisian cattle, has exhibited his stock on several occasions at the Orange County Fair at Middletown, and secured first premium. The foundation of this stock was purchased of H. D. Roe, of Augusta, N. J. Mr. Roe has raised more world's champion stock than any one breeder in this part of the country. Mr. Seely married Miss Carrie A. Mills, daughter of George Mills, of Goshen, N. Y. They have one child, Pauline Augusta. He is a member of the Chester Grange, a republican and takes a lively interest in all questions of the day.
JOHN LANSING SERVIN—Mr. Servin, who spent the last years of his life in Warwick, was born in Spring Valley, Rockland County, on September 6, 1835. After a course of study at Rutgers College, he was graduated from the University of the City of New York in 1858. He then commenced the study of law, and after obtaining his degree at the Albany Law School, and being connected for a time with the law firm of Hill, Cagger and Porter in Albany, removed to New York City, where he practiced his profession until 1865. He married Miss Sallie Ann Forshee, of Warwick, in 1864, and in 1865 removed to Warwick, where he purchased theWarwick Advertiser,which he conducted for some years, when ill health forced him to give up all active pursuits.
He was one of the founders of the Y. M. C. A. at Warwick and superintendent of the Sunday-school of the Reformed Dutch Church, and withal a liberal, well-educated and public-spirited citizen.
He died at Warwick, on October 8, 1881, and is survived by three children: Abraham Forshee, who is a practicing lawyer of Middletown, N. Y.; Sara, wife of Dr. Stephen W. Perry, of Belchertown, Mass.; and John Magie, of Warwick. A younger child, Walter Tinkey, died at an early age. His widow still resides at Warwick in the family home.
FREDERICK W. SEWARD, M.D., a worthy member of a greatly honored family, was born in Goshen, August 22, 1845. He prepared for college in the Seward Institute, founded and endowed by his grandfather, Judge S. S. Seward. He graduated at Union College, and studied medicine in Bellevue Medical College and the New York Homeopathic Medical College. He then settled in Middletown, where he had an extensive practice, but on account of failing health went to New Mexico in 1876. Returning in 1882, he made Goshen his home and engaged in general practice until 1899, when he became a specialist in nervous and mental diseases, and opened "Interpines," a sanatorium for the cure of these diseases. He has long been president of the Orange County Homeopathic Society, and is a member of the New York State Homeopathic Society and the American Institute of Homeopathy; also the Orange County and New York State Medical Societies and of the National Medical Association. He is president of the Goshen Board of Trade and for years was president of the Goshen Board of Education. He is also a Mason. He was married to Ella Armstrong, of Florida, Orange County, December 27, 1866. She died three years later, leaving two children. Dr. Seward again married in 1875, his second wife being Matie Corey, of Plainfield, N. J., by whom he has three children. His three daughters, Ella, Matie and Bertha, are at home. His eldest son, Edwin P., is a ranch man in New Mexico, and Frederick W., Jr., a graduate of the New York Medical College, is associated with his father at the "Interpines." Dr. Seward's father was Edwin Pollodore Seward, of Florida, and his uncle was William H. Seward, Lincoln's secretary of state, and before the war United States senator. Dr. Seward's great-great-grandfather was John Seward, a colonel in the New Jersey militia during the Revolutionary war.
JOHN L. SEYBOLT, of the town of Mt. Hope, was born July 28, 1854, on the homestead farm, about one-half mile from Otisville. He was reared on the home farm and acquired his early education at the district school, afterward attending the Otisville school. His principal business is dairying, having one hundred and seventy-one acres of land. His parents were Paul Lee, born August 18, 1830, died July 8, 1905, and Antoinette, born July 4, 1831, still living. To this union four children were born: John, the subject of this sketch; Horace G., of New York City, engaged in the milk business; Alva, a prominent attorney at Oneonta, Otsego County, N. Y., and Emma, wife of J. C. Jordon, of Middletown, N. Y. Mr. Seybolt married Miss Alice W. Riter, of Otisville, N. Y., December 18, 1878. She was born June 13, 1858. Two children were born to this union: Violet, wife of George Kaufman, of Middletown, and Falter Lee, attending school at Middletown. In politics Mr. Seybolt is a democrat and has served six years as road commissioner. As a farmer he is very successful and for many years has been a member of the Otisville Grange.
REV. JESSE F. SHAFER, an old and honored resident of Newburgh, was born at Montgomery, Orange County, October 12, 1828. He graduated from Montgomery Academy in 1848, read law with Hon. Hugh B. Bull and attended the State and National Law School at Ballston Spa, N. Y. He was admitted to the bar in 1852, and practiced in Goshen and Newburgh until 1857, when he formed a partnership with his brother, Joseph D., district attorney of Ulster County, with offices in Kingston. In 1861 he enlisted in the 56th New York Volunteer Infantry, was promoted to first lieutenant and regimental quartermaster, resigning in 1864. From 1869 to 1873 Mr. Shafer owned and operated the Youngblood farm. In 1874 he decided to prepare for the ministry, and was ordained in 1877. He was pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Audenried, Pa., five years. The failure of his voice caused his retirement. Mr. Shafer is chaplain of Ellis Post No. 52, G. A. R.; also of the 56th Regiment Veteran Association. In 1869 he married Miss Ann H. Crawford, of Thompson's Ridge, Orange County. She died June 10, 1891, leaving one daughter, Susie C., the wife of Walter Carvey.
WILLIAM H. SHANNON, prominent in business and public affairs at Newburgh, N. Y., was born in Richmond, North Hampton County, Penn., April 22, 1840. His parents, Charles Shannon, a carpenter, and Magdalen Gruver Shannon, were also natives of Richmond. He is a descendant from Nathaniel Shannon, who was born in Londonderry, Ireland, in 1655 of Scottish ancestry. Nathaniel came to America in 1687 as naval officer of the port of Boston, where he was a member of the historic Old South Church. He served as naval officer of the port for twenty-two years. From him sprang the various branches of the family. Some of his descendants became pioneers in the South; one accompanied the Lewis and Clarke Expedition. William H. Shannon's grandfather, Langdon Shannon, was a major in the War of 1812.
Mr. Shannon received his education in the little log schoolhouse of Richmond; that is, as much education as a lad can acquire up to the early age of thirteen, when he went to work. He came to Newburgh in 1862 to take charge of the slating of Vassar College for the late John Gait. He started in business the same year and in 1877 became associated with Mr. Gait, who was interested in the firm of Shannon & Co., until his death. Mr. Shannon then took his son, William H., Jr., into partnership. To the originally modest slate-roofing business new branches were added from time to time until to-day an extensive business is carried on—slate, tile and metal roofing mantels, fireplaces marble and tiling.
Mr. Shannon is a member of the Masonic Veterans' Association, having been raised in 1866. He is also a charter member of the Washington Heights Chemical Engine Co. He has been a painstaking and efficient member of the Water Board for fifteen years, three of which he served as president.
THE SHAW FAMILY—The Shaw family was among the early settlers in the northeastern part of the town, and until within a few years the original tract Of land settled upon them was in the name of some of the family. About 1750 William Shaw moved to the town and was agent for a large tract of land owned by New York parties, with instructions to take what he wanted, sell what he could and give some away. The descendants of some of his friends to whom he gave farms are living in Orange County. Soon after he came from Ireland and had made a clearing, he sent for his intended wife (Mary Waldron). She came from New York to New Windsor on a sloop and was met by him and taken to his home on horseback, for at that time it was the only way he could travel between the two points. They had children and many of their descendants are still in that vicinity, among them being Wickham T. Shaw, a great-grandson, practicing law at Middletown, N. Y. William Shaw, who married Rachel Schoonover, son of William and Mary W. Shaw, inherited the homestead and died there. Two of his sons, Aaron and Howard, became quite distinguished. The former was state attorney, judge of the Supreme Court and twice elected to Congress in Illinois. The latter (Howard), who married Abby M. Tryon, was a noted auctioneer, and Wickham T. Shaw, his son, who married Clara A. Mapes, is the last male descendant in that line living. He has three sons, Howard, Charles and H. James Aaron, and one daughter, Florence.
HARRY E. SHAW, of Newburgh, member of the Board of Supervisors, was born in this city in 1869. His father, the late Captain George W. Shaw, was for years a leading business man of Newburgh, a member of the widely known firm of Thomas Shaw's Sons. Harry E. was educated at the Newburgh Academy and Siglar's Preparatory School, after which he entered the planing mill business of his father. He subsequently engaged in the feed business, being senior member of the firm of Shaw Brothers.
Politically Mr. Shaw is a democrat and in 1907 was elected supervisor of the Second Ward. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Elks, Ringgold Hose Company and the City Club.
SAMUEL E. SHIPP, son of Colonel Samuel Shipp, was born in 1850 at Pleasant Ridge, Princess Ann County, Virginia. He was educated at Columbian College, Washington, D. C. Mr. Shipp was deputy state treasurer of Virginia several years, and for ten years connected with the post-office in Richmond and Norfolk. He came to Newburgh and organized the present real estate and insurance firm of Shipp & Osborn in 1888, associating himself with Mr. David A. Osborn. This business had been established in 1873 by E. S. Turner. Mr. Shipp is also president of the Shipp & Osborn Realty Company. In 1900 he was appointed by the governor of New York State a member of the Board of Managers of the Middletown State Hospital and served four years as president of the board. He was elected in 1898 a member of the Board of Education of Newburgh and has been president of the board six years. Mr. Shipp is prominent in club, social and business circles. He is a member of Hudson River Lodge, a Knight Templar and was one of the organizers of the Wilbur H. Weston Shriner Association and has been its vice-president and president. He is a charter member and director of the Newburgh City Club and for many years a member of the Powelton (Country) Club. Mr. Shipp has always taken an active part in all matters pertaining to the growth and prosperity of his home city.
HON. MORGAN SHUIT, who for more than a quarter of a century was a prominent figure in political and business affairs of Orange County, was born in Richfield, Conn., 1812, and died at Central Valley, July 29, 1884. Mr. Shuit was engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1864, when he purchased large tracts of land and devoted his time to the management of his farms. He was a leader in republican politics and for thirty-one years represented the old town of Monroe in the Board of Supervisors. He also filled the office of justice of the peace for thirty-three years. In 1879 he was elected a member of the state legislature and reelected in 1880. He was chosen executor for many estates because of the confidence reposed in him by his fellow citizens. In 1846 Mr. Shuit married Mary A. Titus and seven children were born to them. Mrs. Shuit died and in 1870 he chose her sister, Phebe B. Titus, for his second wife.
CHARLES N. SKINNER, M.D., of Port Jervis, was born in that city, March 9, 1866. He obtained his education in the schools of that place and Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, Pa. When twenty-two years of age he took up the study of medicine in the office of Dr. W. L. Cuddeback and completed his medical studies by a course of lectures at Bellevue, New York, from which he was graduated in 1892. He at once began the practice of medicine in Port Jervis. He is a member of the Orange County Medical Society. Dr. Skinner married Mary B. Hiller, of Tunkhannock, Pa., June 9, 1892, and both he and Mrs. Skinner are consistent members of the Reformed Church of Port Jervis.
FRANK SLAUGHTER was born near Pine Island, N. Y., February 23, 1854, attended college at Elmira N. Y., and assisted his grandfather on the farm until he was thirty-two years old. He has since been a dairy farmer and an extensive fruit grower. He has a farm of eighty acres, and apart from this is engaged with the Empire Steel Company of Catasauqua, Penn., in the limestone business. He married Annie Louise Wilson, of Brooklyn, N. Y., December 16, 1885. Their six children are Charles B., born September 20, 1886; Clara Van Sickle, born April 6, 1888, wife of Grant Cooper, of Pine Island; Fannie Louise, born April 5, 1891, wife of Russell S. Ferguson, of New Milford; Jerry, born April 20, 1893; Lu Wilcox, born December 28, 1898, and Audrey Wilson, born January 1, 1902. Mr. Slaughter attends the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a republican.
NORMAN C. SLY was a New York City policeman more than twenty years, being appointed on the force May 8, 1882, and serving until September 16, 1902. He is now a practical farmer and good citizen who interests himself in the public welfare as well as his private interests. He was born June 22, 1858, and was one of the four children of Ross W. and Marguerite E. Wilcox Sly. His early education was in the district school.
CLARENCE J. SLOCUM, M.D., resident physician of Falkirk Sanitarium, near Central Valley, graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1897. The following three years he was connected with the City Hospital at Poughkeepsie and from 1900 to 1902 with the Utica State Hospital. His services were then secured by Dr. Carlos MacDonald as resident physician of his sanitarium, then located at Pleasantville. In 1906 the institution was removed to Orange County. Dr. Slocum is a member of the American Psychological Association and the Dutchess County Medical Society.
CHARLES H. SMITH was born at Howells, Orange County, N. Y., in 1861. After graduating from the Wallkill Academy he took up civil engineering and spent two years in practical work under Chief Engineer O. Chanute, of the Erie R. R. He then entered Lehigh University, and for two years was a student in the department of civil engineering. Later he was engineer on the Erie R. R. Mr. Smith married Miss Minnie A. Holland, of Hornell, N. Y., in 1890. In 1889 he was appointed assistant chief engineer of the New York, Ontario and Western R. R., with headquarters at Middletown, which position he filled for three years. He resigned in 1893 and devoted his attention entirely to civil engineering. The following year he opened an office in Middletown and was appointed city engineer, in which capacity he served ten years, at which time he was appointed county engineer, which position he is now holding. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and an honorary member of the Excelsior Hook and Ladder Co.
ELWOOD C. SMITH, attorney, of Newburgh, was born in Monroe, N. Y., February 12, 1882. He graduated from the Newburgh Academy in 1900 and from Columbia University in 1904 with the degree of LL.B. He practiced his profession three years in New York City, and in January, 1907, began the practice of law in Orange County, with offices in Newburgh and Monroe. Mr. Smith was elected justice of the peace of the latter town in 1906. He is a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity; Greenwood Council No. 140, Junior Order American Mechanics; Standard Lodge No. 711, F. & A. M.; Highland Chapter No. 52, R. A. M.; Hudson River Commandery No. 35, K. T., and Mecca Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.
GEORGE SMITH, one of the enterprising citizens of Otisville, was born in the town of Mt. Hope, February 8, 1835, being sixth in order of birth in his parents' family. He remained at home until he was sixteen, when he learned the carpenters' trade. He clerked in a general store at Otisville for a period of two years, when he embarked in business for himself, forming a partnership with Mr. Dunning. The firm was afterward Reed & Smith. Later Mr. Smith purchased his partner's interest and continued alone for five years, when he again sold to Mr. Reed a half interest. Mr. Smith is now living retired. He married Miss Cynthia Green, of Otisville. In politics he is a democrat and has served the town as supervisor for seventeen years and as town clerk eight years.
NATHAN S. SMITH—Among the old business landmarks in Water street, Newburgh, is the book and stationery store of Mr. Smith, which was established in 1830. It is the oldest bookstore in the Hudson Valley and was purchased by Mr. Daniel Smith in 1840. He was a native of Connecticut, and after locating in Newburgh was engaged for a time in the shoe business. Mr. N. S. Smith has been proprietor of this store since 1882. Mr. Smith was born in Newburgh and for many years has been prominent in the commercial and social circles of his native city.
WILLIAM J. SMITH, who is engaged in general farming and dairying on a historic tract of land in the town of Hamptonburgh, was born January 21, 1851, on the homestead farm about one mile from Neelytown. His father was Foster and his mother Sarah W. (Waite) Smith. He was married to Miss Lizzie Burns, of Newburgh, December 7, 1876. Two children were born by this union: Frank W., who married the daughter of John Maryhue, of Ulster County, N. Y., and Nellie, who resides at home. He is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church of Montgomery. In politics he is a democrat. The home in which Mr. Smith resides is historic from the fact that Washington stopped here on one occasion in crossing from the Delaware River to his headquarters at Newburgh. Recently it was necessary to make repairs in the old chimney and a brick with the date 1777 was taken from the fireplace.
JACOB B. STANABACK—His birthplace was Sparta, Sussex County, N. J., where he began life November 10, 1861, and attended the district school. He worked awhile in a creamery in Stanford, Delaware County, N. Y., and then was a clerk in Sparta and Ogdensburgh. All this was before he was of age. When he was twenty-one he went to Newfoundland, Morris County, N. J., and was there clerk in a general store. His next move was to Florida, Orange County, where he worked for H. B. Seeley, and his next to Newark, N. J., where in 1888 he went into business for himself. In 1897 he went to New Milford, Orange County, and worked for his cousin, Benjamin Scott, until he was burned out on March 22, 1900. Then Mr. Stanaback erected a store on the location of the old store and renewed business.
He was appointed postmaster in 1900 and still holds the office. He is now erecting a brick building for store and residence to have steam heat and other latest improvements. In connection with his general mercantile business he sells the Osborn farm implements. He belongs to Wawayanda Lodge No. 34, I. O. O. F., at Warwick and Encampment of Mt. Olive Lodge No. 65, of Newburgh, N. Y.
JOSEPH F. STEVENS, the efficient postmaster of Highland Falls, N. Y., received this appointment in 1901. He was born in this village in 1864, and educated at schools in Pennsylvania and Manhattan College, N. Y. Previous to his present office he was engaged in the hotel business at Highland Falls, which was established by his father, George Stephens, who built the hotel in 1864. He has held the office of school trustee six years.
Mr. Stevens married Miss Lucetta Faurot, daughter of Captain Theodore Faurot, a descendant of one of the oldest families in the town of Highland.
L. S. STERRIT, son of Thomas and Jane Sterrit, was of Scotch-English extraction. His parents emigrated to this country shortly after their marriage and established a home beside the old Presbyterian Church at Coldenham, where the subject of this sketch was born February 17, 1852.
His general education was gained at the Newburgh Academy and the Collegiate Institute at Newton, N. J. He commenced his legal studies at Newburgh in the office of George H. Clark, leaving this office to enter that of Judge James W. Taylor, April 3, 1873. He was admitted to the bar in 1876, and continued to occupy the position of managing clerk for Judge Taylor, and upon the latter's death in 1883 succeeded to his practice. At the time of his death, which occurred April 4, 1907, he had occupied the same suite of offices in the Savings Bank Building for a period of thirty-five consecutive years.
Mr. Sterrit's practice was almost exclusively confined to equity and probate work, in which he was an acknowledged expert. He conducted some of the most important equity cases of recent years, and was employed in the settlement of many large estates. His practice of his profession was marked by untiring industry and strict integrity. He was an eloquent speaker and a graceful writer, the productions of his pen relating chiefly to local historical subjects, on which he was an acknowledged authority.
Mr. Sterrit was past master of Hudson River Lodge, F. & A. M., and delivered the oration at the celebration of its twenty-fifth anniversary. For fifteen years he served as trustee and secretary of the Glebe, and was a trustee of the Woodlawn Cemetery Association for the same length of time. As a safe and trusted counselor he was honored by his fellow practitioners at the bar; as a generous, public spirited citizen he was held in high regard by those among whom he lived, but as a noble-hearted friend, void of selfishness and without guile, he was loved by those who knew him best. This, in his life, served to bring him his most cherished reward, and, in his death, will prove his most enduring monument.
DANIEL JACKSON STEWARD was the great-grandson of John Steward 1st, who settled in Goshen in 1744, and the son of John Steward 3rd, who, born in Goshen, subsequently moved to New York, where he was for forty years engaged in the business of a wholesale dry goods merchant, acquiring a fortune and distinguished by a reputation for unswerving integrity and uprightness of character.
Daniel Jackson Steward, the subject of this sketch, was the second son of John Steward 3rd, of Goshen, and was born in 1816. He was descended, through his maternal ancestor, Isaac Townsend, of Oyster Bay, L. I., from Capt. John Underbill, the famous fighter of Indians. Though born in New York, Mr. Steward always felt himself to be by inheritance and affection a son of Orange County.
He was a graduate of Princeton and a man of great mental powers and wide learning, equally interested in science and art, a combination of tastes rarely found in the same individual. He was never engaged in active business, but devoted the greater part of his life to scholarly pursuits. A fellow of the National Academy of Design, he was himself an artist of merit, and delighted in his sketches and paintings, to depict the scenery characteristic of Orange County, in his estimation, of unsurpassed beauty. Its graceful elms, giant oaks and chestnuts were his special study and admiration, and the reckless destruction of the county's forests and groves, which during his lifetime he was obliged to witness, occasioned him the deepest regret for economic and climatic reasons, even more than from the standpoint of the artist.
Mr. Steward was one of the incorporators and a patron of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, also of the American Museum of Natural History, being first vice-president of the latter for many years. To this museum he presented many fine fossils and Indian remains, some of which were found in Orange County, and also his collection of shells, he being a noted conchologist. This collection, though not the largest, was said to contain rarer and more beautiful specimens than any other private collection of shells in the world, and it can now be seen intact in the museum.
Mr. Steward was widely interested in philanthropic and charitable enterprises. It may be mentioned that he was instrumental in sending to Japan in 1858, and personally supported there for five years, the famous missionary, Dr. Verbeck, to whose influence with the emperor is largely attributed the awakening of Japan, hitherto closed to the world, and its opening to western civilization.
EDWIN F. STILL was born in Catskill, Greene County, N. Y., August 30, 1878, and educated in the public school. As a member of Company E, 2nd N. Y. V., he accompanied the regiment to Port Tampa, Fla., and remained in the service about seven months in the war with Spain. He came to Warwick in November, 1901, worked in Arnold's Photographic Studio, and purchased the business the next year. He is first assistant engineer of the Warwick Fire Department and is serving a second term as police justice. He was elected November, 1907, to the office of town clerk of Warwick. He is a member of the Christ Episcopal Church. He married Miss Matilda Carson, daughter of Thomas Carson, of Warwick.
MOSES A. STIVERS, M.D., was born in Middletown, Orange County, N. Y., November 14, 1872. He received his education at the Middletown High School and attended Columbia College, New York City. Dr. Stivers has been connected with the house staff of the New York Hospital and the New York Cancer Hospital. He served as master of Hoffman Lodge No. 412, is a member of the National Guard and holds the position of assistant surgeon at the present time. He was married to Lillian C. Hummell, of Port Jervis, and they have one child, Mary Van Etten. Dr. Stivers is at present attending physician at the Thrall Hospital, vice-president of the Orange County Medical Society, and secretary and treasurer of the Stivers Printing Co., of Middletown, N. Y.
GEORGE H. STRONG was born at Blooming Grove in August, 1867, was educated in the district school and Monroe Academy, and at the age of sixteen became associated in business with Knight & Conklin, and remained with them eight years. October 1, 1891, Conklin & Strong purchased the feed and grain business of H. K. Wood, of Warwick, and in 1897, the business of W. S. Board & Co., of Vernon, N. J. In 1898 they built a store in New Milford and in 1906 bought the lumber and coal business of B. S. Galloway, of Warwick. Mr. Strong is president of the Warwick Telephone Company, a director of the Building and Loan Association and Warwick Building Company, and a trustee of the village. He is also a member of Warwick Lodge No. 544, F. & A. M. He married Miss Emma, daughter of Henry Mapes, October 10, 1888. Stella, Harry and Julia are the names of their three children.
SELAH E. STRONG, ex-sheriff of Orange County, was born at the Strong homestead, "Maple Hurst," in the town of Blooming Grove in 1843, and it was here his death occurred, July, 1905. The ancestry of the Strongs in America dates back to John Strong, who came from England in 1629 and settled in eastern Massachusetts. Major Nathaniel Strong, who figured prominently in the early history of Orange County, was shot October 6, 1778, by Claudius Smith at the homestead door in Blooming Grove. He was the great-great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch. Mr. Strong was educated at the schools of his native place and engaged in farming as an occupation. At the age of twenty-one he was elected highway commissioner, occupying that position twelve years. In 1876 he was elected a member of the board of supervisors, holding the office six years. From 1878 to 1884 he was postmaster, receiving the appointment from President Hayes. In 1897 the people of Orange County, in recognition of his worth and ability, elected him to the office of sheriff, where he administered his duties in such a business-like and careful manner as to win hearty commendation from the citizens of Orange County. In 1873 Mr. Strong was united in marriage to Miss Stella K. Hetzel, of Florida, a descendant of an old Revolutionary family. Two children were born to them, H. Sherwood, who is engaged in business in New York City, and Edith, now Mrs. A. J. Norton, of Saugerties, N. Y. Mrs. Strong continues to reside at the homestead, which has sheltered seven generations of this sterling family.
INGHAM STUBLEY, clerk of the Board of Supervisors, was born in England in 1853, and has resided in Newburgh since 1868. For twelve years he was bookkeeper for the firm of Haigh & Mellor, woolen manufacturers. In 1880 he and his father, William Stubley, established the rag, iron and metal business at its present location, 129 Broadway. Mr. Stubley has been continuously elected clerk of the Board of Supervisors since 1892. He has been a member of Newburgh Lodge No. 309, F. & A. M., for thirty-four years and for ten years has served as its secretary. He has also passed through all the chairs in Acme Lodge No. 469, I. O. O. F.; is a member of Mount Olive Encampment No. 65 and Highland Chapter, R. A. M., of Newburgh. He married Nancy J. Dickerson, of Orange County, in 1875, and has two sons, William and Charles G., who are associated with him in business.
GEORGE C. STULL was born June 7, 1864, at Belvedere, N. J. His parents were Henry J. and Mary (Fine) Stull. Mr. Stull received his early education at Belvedere, N. J. When he was fifteen years of age he started in the milk business and continued for elven years, he removed to Goshen, Orange County, N. Y., in 1890, and engaged in the wholesale and retail candy and ice cream business, which business he now conducts. In politics he is a republican. He attends the Presbyterian Church of Goshen, N. Y. He is a member of the Cataract Hose Company of Goshen, and an ex-member of I. O. O. F. of New York City.
GEORGE W. STURR, of Florida, was born in Kerney, Hudson County, N. J., October 26, 1845. His parents, Daniel R. and Sarah Sturr, had five children, and George was the third son. When he was seven years old he left home and went to Brooklyn, where he lived until he was twenty-one, and was educated in the Brooklyn public schools. He then became a clerk for about three years in Danbury, Conn., when he embarked in business for himself and has been identified with several business enterprises. In 1881 he became associated for several years with the Metropolitan Manufacturing Company, of New York City. In 1894 he purchased a home in Florida, where he still resides.
Mr. Sturr married Mary Louise Gregory, of Ulster County, N. Y., in 1867, and they have had four children, two sons and two daughters. Both sons are dead. The daughters are Alberta L. and Ada Cressie. The wife and mother died April 25, 1906.
ALEXANDER C. SUTHERLAND, superintendent of the poor for Orange County, was born at Central Valley, N. Y., June 9, 1855. His education was obtained in the public school of that place, supplemented by a short course in the Mount Vernon Institute, New York City. Mr. Sutherland spent his early days on his father's farm and has since made farming his occupation. He has held the office of superintendent of the poor since January 1, 1896, and has during that time inaugurated many important improvements in the county's establishment. Previous to his election to that office he resided for a number of years on his farm near Turners, and for years was president of the Board of Education of that village, and also served as town assessor.
Socially he is affiliated with Standard Lodge No. 711, F. & A. M., of Monroe, of which he is past master; Midland Chapter, R. A. M., of Middletown; Cyprus Commandery No. 67, K. T.; Mecca Temple, Mystic Shrine of New York, and the Consistory. He has passed all chairs in Knights of Pythias Lodge, and is a member of the Goshen Club and the Old Orchard Club of Middletown.
He was joined in marriage on January 17, 1883, with Miss Elizabeth Cooper, of Central Valley, and their family consists of four children living: Harriet C., Martha C., Clara E. and Annie M.
Mr. Sutherland is one of the representative men of Orange County and makes an efficient and thorough county officer.
MORRIS SWACKHAMMER was born April 15, 1877, at Mount Rose, Susquehanna County, Pa. He has been identified with the Borden Creameries five years and with the New Milford Branch two years, where he is now the manager. This creamery has the best modern appliances for the hygienic handling and care of milk, of which it receives about 5,000 gallons annually. Mr. Swackhammer is a member of Mount Rose Chapter No. 151, I. O. O. F. His wife's maiden name was Miss Lottie Jones, of Mount Rose, Pa. Their only child is Roy, born January 16, 1904.
HENRY B. SWARTWOUT, M.D., of Port Jervis, is a member of one of the oldest families in America. He was born in Port Jervis, February 4, 1861, on the farm which is a part of the original tract of land settled by the Swartwouts in 1690. His parents are Peter P. and Hannah (Cuddeback) Swartwout. The family originated in Holland and were among the early Dutch settlers of New Amsterdam.
Dr. Swartwout is the youngest of a family of nine children, five of whom are living. He obtained his education at Port Jervis Academy, supplemented by a two-year course at Cornell University. He began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. W. L. Cuddeback, and later entered Bellevue Medical College of New York, from which he graduated in 1885. He remained one year, as intern, in the New York Chambers Street Hospital.
His marriage with Miss Carrie B. Peck, daughter of George V. Peck, of Port Jervis, occurred March 10, 1886, after which they spent six months abroad, during the time taking a post-graduate course in the Vienna Hospital. Upon his return home he took up the practice of medicine, and in 1892, with Dr. W. L. Cuddeback, purchased the Hunt Memorial Hospital, which they have since conducted.
Dr. Swartwout is a member of the Orange County, the State and the American Medical Associations, and the Erie Railway Surgeons' Association. He is also a member of the Deer Park Club and at the present time is mayor of Port Jervis.
To Doctor and Mrs. Swartwout have been born four children. Henry Lewis died at the age of one year. Those living are Florence, Charlotte and Herbert B.
CLAYTON E. SWEET, of the firm of Sweet, Orr & Co., was born at Wappingers Falls, N. Y., June 16, 1834, and after a large business experience in that town he moved to Newburgh in 1887, to which city the business offices of the company were changed that year. His father was for many years a merchant and manufacturer in Wappingers Falls, and for a period postmaster of the village. Mr. Sweet was educated at the public schools of his native place and at the Dutchess County Academy at Poughkeepsie. Then for three years he was in the employ of Levi Cook & Co., merchants on Broadway, New York. He returned to Wappingers Falls to enter his father's store, and ere long was made a partner.
For many years Mr. Sweet was one of the leading business men of the place and of great usefulness to the community. He was one of the first trustees of the Wappingers Savings Bank, and acted as its secretary and treasurer until it obtained a substantial footing; he was afterwards elected vice-president of the institution. For seven years he was postmaster of the village under President Grant. He was also a director of the Fallkill National Bank of Poughkeepsie, and a vestryman of the Zion Episcopal Church of Wappingers Falls. Since 1876 Mr. Sweet, as head of the firm of Sweet, Orr & Co., has given his whole attention to the manufacture of overalls. This firm are the pioneers in this business and their product the largest in the country. Mr. Sweet has served as a trustee of the Newburgh Savings Bank and vestryman of St. George's Episcopal Church. He is president of the Newburgh City Club and a director of the Newburgh National Bank. He married in 1860, Chattie Louise, daughter of Hon. James Manning, of Bethany, Pa., and a lineal descendant of Captain Bazaliel Tyler, a soldier of the Revolution, who was killed when leading the advance guard at the battle of Minisink.
LYMAN H. TAFT,editor and proprietor of theMontgomery Standard and Reporter,has resided in Orange County since 1888. Previously he made his home in Warren, Pa.
October 23, 1888, Mr. Taft bought theMontgomery Reporter,a four-page sheet, founded May 30, 1887, by George H. Young. January 1, 1899, Mr. Taft purchased theMontgomery Standardfrom the Winfield family, who had owned the paper since 1868. He consolidated it with theReporterunder the above title. It is a four-page blanket paper, republican in politics. Mr. Taft, the popular editor, is a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Maccabees and the Foresters.
CAPTAIN THOMAS TAFT, senior member of the Taft-Howell Company, successor to the firm of Mead & Taft, contractors, builders and manufacturers, at Cornwall Landing, N. Y., is a lineal descendant of the colonist, Robert Taft, who came from England to Massachusetts in 1677. He is the oldest son of Daniel Taft, the sixth in line of descent from the colonist Robert and his wife Emeline Smith, descendant of a family of Pennsylvania Quakers who, escaping the massacre at Wyoming, settled near Woodbury Falls in Orange County.
Captain Taft was born in the town of Cornwall, September 28, 1840; was educated in the A. C. Roe Collegiate School at Cornwall, and at the outbreak of the Civil War was engaged in the building business with his father and brother-in-law, C. H. Mead. In response to Lincoln's appeal for three hundred thousand additional volunteers, he enlisted as a private in Company C, 124th Regiment, New York Volunteers, and in recognition of ability, fortitude and bravery displayed in camp, on the march and in battle, was promoted from grade to grade to the captaincy of his company.
In the desperate charge of the 124th at Devil's Den on the field of Gettysburg, in which Colonel Ellis, Major Cromwell and so many of his brave comrades were killed, he was disabled by wounds received at the most advanced point readied, and was captured by the enemy. Four months later he had been exchanged and was again on duty with his regiment. With the exception of these and the battle of Boydton Road, he was never absent from the 124th when it was under fire.
In 1866, the year after the close of the war, Captain Taft engaged in the building business with his brother-in-law, Charles H. Mead, under the firm name of Mead & Taft, employing from eighteen to twenty hands. In 1906 the company had in its employ over five hundred men, a majority of whom were skilled mechanics. Its plant at Cornwall Landing, on the west bank of the Hudson, is one of the most complete and extensive of its kind in the State. The building operations of the firm have extended from Northern New Hampshire to San Antonio, Texas. Since 1866 it has erected some eight hundred or nine hundred buildings, nearly all of which have been expensive structures. In the building up and successful management of this extensive business Captain Taft has been the leading factor.
In 1883 a movement looking to the incorporation of the village of Cornwall was defeated. Two years later the proposition was again brought before the people and carried, and Captain Taft was elected the first president of the newly incorporated village, and was retained in office until 1889. Immediately on assuming office he put in operation a system of road improvement which in less than two years gave to Cornwall the reputation of having the best streets of any village in the county. Under a changed administration the taxpayers soon became dissatisfied, Captain Taft was petitioned to again stand for president, and in 1891 was elected without opposition, serving until 1895.
Realizing that the natural beauties of the Highlands of the Hudson were at last awakening public interest, Captain Taft began several years ago, as opportunity offered, the purchase of lands in the Storm King region, where he now owns several rather extensive tracts, which it is believed will at no distant day be so improved as to enhance the attractiveness of his native town.
He was married in 1881 to Mary G., eldest daughter of Dr. James E. Knapp, of Marlborough, Ulster County, N. Y. They have two sons, Thomas Knapp Taft and Royal M. Taft.
WILLIAM G. TAGGART, for many years county clerk of Orange County, was born in Newburgh, N. Y., November 20, 1856. After graduating from the academy he engaged with his father, Archibald Taggart, in the meat business. In 1891 he resigned the postmastership of Newburgh to accept the office of clerk of Orange County, to which he had been elected, and was re-elected in 1894, 1897 and 1900. He is a member of several secret societies, including Newburgh Lodge, F. and A. M.; Highland Chapter, R. A. M., and Hudson River Commandery, K. T.
Mr. Taggart is secretary of the Orange County Traction Company.
H. R. TAYLOR, of Pine Bush, N. Y., who conducts an extensive trade in lumber, building materials, etc., established this business in 1895. His father, Archibald R. Taylor, was a native of Ulster County, and in 1849 located in Pine Bush, where he purchased a large tract of land, and began the erection of buildings. He was largely identified with the prosperity of this village and associated with its business interests. In 1856 he married Miss Mary, daughter of John Colwell Rainey, of Crawford. The following children were born: Archibald, Hamilton R., Emily, Anne and John C, now state senator.
GEORGE W. TEN EYCK was born in Rockland County, N. Y., May 8, 1824. His mother, Mary Youmans Ten Eyck, died December 4, 1884, in the ninetieth year of her age. David Ten Eyck, his father, was a cooper by trade, and a descendant of the early settlers by that name, who came from Holland, locating in Rockland County, some of them serving in the Revolutionary struggle. When George was a mere lad his father died, and the boy was bound out to service until he was twenty-one years old to a farmer near Sugar Loaf. He served his apprenticeship and in the course of a few years the thrifty young farmer had accumulated a fine farm of one hundred and thirty-two acres. It was on this farm (known as Maple Grove farm for years) that he reared his family, remaining there during the remainder of his life, nearly half a century, his demise occurring December 13, 1900. Mr. Ten Eyck was a self-made man, he secured an ordinary education, was noted for his integrity and just dealing, was engaged in various enterprises outside of his farm, and much of his means he lost by helping others, endorsing notes, etc. He was endowed with great muscular strength, having performed many lifting feats in his earlier life. He was always a staunch republican, working hard for the cause. He married Christien Peterson, of Warwick, January 11, 1850, a most estimable woman, who passed away on her seventieth birthday, February 7, 1897. Five children were the result of this union, Coe H., who owns the Valley House, Greenwood Lake; Hutson G., deceased at thirty-eight, was a noted architect for several years previous to his death at Newark, N. J.; George W., a carpenter and builder at Elizabeth, N. J.; Mary L., wife of Francis G. Knapp, and Andrew, both residing at their home, "The Anchorage," at Middletown.
FLOYD E. TETHER was born February 22, 1872, on a farm between Amity and Edenville, Orange County. He attended the Warwick Academy after leaving the district school, and then took a course in Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie. Soon afterward he became identified with the Clyde Steamship Company of New York City, with which he remained one year, and then clerked in a general store in Edenville two years. He entered into a mercantile partnership in 1894 with G. S. Everett at Florida, Orange County, where they conducted a general store. In the fall of 1896 C. M. Knapp, of Goshen, purchased Mr. Everett's interest and the firm became Tether & Knapp. This partnership continued until March, 1900, when Mr. Tether became the sole proprietor. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of Warwick Lodge No. 544, F. and A. M. Mr. Tether was married to Mary A. Knapp, of Pine Island, Orange County, February 4, 1896. They have four children, James E., Clifford F., Russell K. and Beatrice M. Mr. Tether's parents were Edward J. and Sarah A. Tether. Their children are Floyd E., Eva J., who married Louis B. Williams, of Florida, and Harry L., who is a farmer on the homestead. A daughter, Hannah, died in her sixteenth year. The father died July 17, 1907. The mother is still living. They resided on the homestead over forty years.
REV. JOHN TETREAU is pastor of the Church of St. Mary, Washingtonville, N. Y. Previous to 1872 this parish was under the direction of Newburgh pastors, but in that year a small chapel was built and Father Keogh paid monthly visits. He was followed by Father Mackin, and then came Rev. William Ward, who was the real founder of the congregation and continued until 1887, when Rev. Henry J. Gordon, of Cornwall, was given charge of the mission until 1892. Fathers Carr, Hannigan and Ward, of Chester, were the next pastors until 1898. The parish was then re-annexed to Cornwall, and Father Currie given charge until May, 1901, to be followed by Father Fenton until October 4, 1902, when Rev. John Tetreau became resident pastor, and it is due to his energy and management that the parishioners now have a beautiful place of worship. During his first year he enlarged the home from one room to a commodious rectory. This was followed by the erection of modern sheds with accommodations for forty carriages. August 5, 1906, the cornerstone was laid by Father Sally, of Newburgh, for the enlargement of the church from 40 by 23 feet to 76 by 41 feet—the dedication ceremonies occurring July 16, 1907. This church is equipped with a fine pipe organ, comfortable pews and heated by steam. Father Tetreau was born and educated in Canada. Since 1889 his pastorates have been in the United States. For twelve years he was connected with St. Jean Baptiste Church in New York. He is much beloved by his parishioners, for whom he has accomplished such extensive improvements. He also has charge of the Maybrook mission.