CHAPTER V.

Elections in 1843—Revenue—Efforts for dividing the County—Elections in 1844—Special Charter—Elections in 1845—Revenue—Return of Prosperity—Elections in 1846—Establishment of the "Beacon Light"—Name Changed to "Junction Beacon"—Formation of Hook and Ladder Company.

Elections in 1843—Revenue—Efforts for dividing the County—Elections in 1844—Special Charter—Elections in 1845—Revenue—Return of Prosperity—Elections in 1846—Establishment of the "Beacon Light"—Name Changed to "Junction Beacon"—Formation of Hook and Ladder Company.

At an election held on the 20th of January, 1843, Churchill Coffing, John R. Merritt, Z. Lewis, Ambrose O'Conner and John Hoffman were elected Trustees. Whole number of votes 92.—This Board elected Churchill Coffing, President; and T. D. Brewster, Treasurer. The revenue arising from taxes on Real Estate was $262.

Peru, from her earliest history, had aspired to become a county seat. Situated upon the extreme western verge of the County of La Salle, she contemplated erecting a new one out of territory to be taken from La Salle, Bureau and Putnam. This scheme was strenuously resisted by Ottawaand the eastern portion of the county. A curtailment on the north and east was cheerfully submitted to, in order to assist in preventing the loss of the western jewel. Much acrimony was engendered by these contests; and all elections for county officers or State Legislature hinged upon this question. The Democratic party was largely in the ascendant; but the schemes of the politicians of that ilk were constantly baffled by the intrusion of this element. The completion of the Canal and Rail Road, furnishing facilities for travel between the two places, mainly put a stop to further agitation.

At an election held on the 25th November, 1844, Churchill Coffing, H. Whitehead, David Dana, Wm. Paul and S. W. Raymond were elected Trustees. Whole number of votes 45. This Board elected H. Whitehead, President; H. S. Beebe, Clerk; J. B. Lovett, Fire Warden; Isaac Abraham, Treasurer; O. C. Parmerly, Street Commissioner; Geo. Low, Collector and Assessor; and E. M. Moore, Constable.

On the 25th February, 1845, an Act passed the Legislature, extending the powers of the Trustees, and providing for their election in thefollowing April.

At an election held on the 7th April, 1845, Churchill Coffing, David Dana, S. W. Raymond, Wm. Paul and H. Whitehead were elected Trustees. Whole number of votes polled 39.

This Board electedHerman Whitehead, President;H. S. Beebe, Clerk;O. C. Parmerly, Street Commissioner;Isaac D. Harmon, Treasurer;George Low, Assessor and Collector;E. M. Moore, Constable; andJ. B. Lovett, Fire Warden. By the death of Moore, the office of Constable soon became vacant, and Z. Lewis, junior, was elected to fill it. The revenue, arising from the tax on Real Estate, was this year $261,-86 cents.

A degree of prosperity had now been attained, little dreamed of three years before. A large trade had gradually grown up and concentrated in Peru. It was no uncommon thing to see wagons loaded with produce, from a distance of sixty, eighty and an hundred miles, seeking a market at this point, and returning loaded with merchandise purchased here. General health, contentment and prosperity prevailed. Stores and dwellings continued to be built, and population to increase.

At an election held on the 6th April, 1846, Jacob S. Beach, Churchill Coffing, William Chumasero, A. M. Thrall and James Cahill were elected Trustees. Whole number of votes 96. This Board elected Churchill Coffing, President; H. S. Beebe, Clerk; George Low, Assessor and Collector; S. W. Raymond, Street Commissioner; I. D. Harmon, Treasurer; David Perry, Constable; and S. N. Maze, Fire Warden. H. F. Killum was subsequently elected Street Commissioner, in place of Raymond who resigned.

In May, another weekly newspaper was established by Nash and Elliott, and called the "Beacon Light." Mr. Nash is the present Clerk of the Circuit Court of La Salle county. The name of this paper was changed to that of "Junction Beacon." It continued about two years under the management of Mead, Higgins and Boyle, either together or successively, and went out.

On the 5th December an ordinance was passed, authorizing the formation of a Hook and Ladder Company, which was the first, last and only attempt to form a Fire Department. The principle effect and probable design of this ordinance was to exempt the members enrolled, from theperformance of jury duty. Thirty-five dollars were appropriated for implements; but it is believed that none were ever capable of being brought into use, in cases of emergency, although the town has been devastated since, with many and serious fires.

Election in 1847—Cemetery laid out—Election in 1848—Completion of the Canal—Effect on Peru—Diversion of Trade to La Salle—Establishment of the "Peru Telegraph"—Erection of the first Grain Ware House—Great Freshet.

Election in 1847—Cemetery laid out—Election in 1848—Completion of the Canal—Effect on Peru—Diversion of Trade to La Salle—Establishment of the "Peru Telegraph"—Erection of the first Grain Ware House—Great Freshet.

At an election held on the 5th April, 1847, Churchill Coffing, Wm. Chumasero, Geo. W. Gilson, Joseph P. Turner and Daniel O. Sullivan were elected Trustees. Whole number of votes 63. This Board elected Wm. Chumasero, President; S. W. Raymond, Clerk; James Elliott, Street Commissioner; H. S. Beebe, Treasurer; Geo. Low, Assessor; David Perry, Collector; Joseph P. Turner, Fire Warden; and H. W. Baker, Clerk. Soon after, Raymond resigned and E. S. Holbrook was elected in his place.

The Cemetery, one mile north of the town, was purchased and laid out by this Board.

At an election held in April, 1848, ErasmusWinslow, P. M. Kilduff, I. C. Day, John Morris and S. N. Maze were elected Trustees. Whole number of votes 128. This Board elected Erasmus Winslow, President; David Perry, Clerk; James Elliott, Collector; H. W. Baker, Street Commissioner; F. S. Day, Treasurer; J. P. Thompson, Constable; and Dennis Dunnavan, Fire Warden. Thompson was subsequently elected Street Commissioner, in place of Baker who failed to qualify, and Fire Warden in place of Dunnavan who was removed.

The completion of the Canal, in the Spring of this year, forms an era in the history of the town, and indeed of the State. Its effect upon the town, however, was not so marked and immediate as upon the sister town of La Salle, which then, for the first time, attracted general public attention, and became a formidable rival to her older sister. Upon the latter its favorable effects were more apparent in the course of the two or three following years, when the increased prosperity of the country reacted upon it. The travel, which had always centered at Peru, was mainly diverted to La Salle. Although the waters of the Canal and River were united at Peru, it was soonfound, that in consequence of the Steamboat and Canal Boat Basin being at La Salle, the practical junction was there. The forwarding business, after a long and ineffectual struggle on the part of Peru to retain it, finally settled at that point.

In October Holbrook and Underhill established a weekly paper, called the "Peru Telegraph."

The first substantial Stone Ware House built in the town was erected this year, directly upon the river bank, by T. D. Brewster, Esq.

The Spring of 1849 was remarkable for the greatest flood known since the settlement of the country. There had been heavy rains in the month of January which raised the river out of its banks, overflowing all the bottoms. The weather changed to cold suddenly and froze the waters, in many places from bluff to bluff, into a broad crystalline Lake. Such was the case on the bottom above the town, which was covered with a sheet of ice for nearly six miles, to Utica. This mass of intercepted water, together with all the country drained by the head branches of the river, was afterwards covered with a heavy mass of snow. About the first of March the weather again suddenly became warm, and heavy rainsset in, which soon loosened the accumulations of snow and ice. Every creek and run contributed a flood, and every ravine and slough a torrent to the swelling river, which on the 9th of March was twenty-five feet, or more, above low water. Its sudden rise loosened the heavy masses of ice spread over the bottoms above, without breaking them up. One of these came down, miles in extent, entirely filling the space between the bluffs, and crushed everything in its course. Trees, indicating a growth of centuries, were as reeds in its path, producing no check to its resistless and majestic motion. The Ware House, heretofore mentioned as being built by Mr. Brewster, then occupied by Brewster and Beebe, was crushed like an egg shell. It was nearly filled with wheat, flour and merchandise, a portion of which had been hastily removed, and a portion was destroyed. The waters soon subsided and the river became very low before the close of navigation in the fall. This was the greatest freshet which has taken place since the settlement of the country by the Whites, but the Indians related to the early settlers accounts of still higher waters. They have asserted thatthe present site of Ottawa has been submerged within the memory of those now living. Shabone, an Indian well known in Northern Illinois, is reported to have said that he has passed over it in a canoe. In 1844, the great freshet occurred in the Mississippi, raising the waters in the lower part of the Ill. still higher than they afterwards were in 1849. This was not the case with the upper portion of the river. An idea is current in this part of the country, that great freshets recur, continuing throughout the greater portion of the summer, once in seven years. This notion is justified by the recurrence of protracted freshets in 1830, 1837, 1844, 1851 and 1858. Mr. Meginness, in his "Otzinachson" or "History of the West Branch of the Susquehanna," mentions that the same impression prevailed in that region concerning freshets, only that theirs recurred once in fourteen years.

Election in 1849—First appearance of Cholera—Elections in 1850—Project for a Rail Road to Aurora—Burning of the National Hotel—Establishment of the "Peru Democrat"—The issue of $25,000 Bonds authorized on account of Peru and Rock Island Rail Road—United States Census—Incorporation of the City—Territory embraced in City Limits—Elections under the Charter in 1851—Question of issuing Bonds on account of subscription to the Stock of Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road decided unanimously in the affirmative at an Election—Resurvey of the City—Issue of $40,000 of Bonds—Organization of the Central Rail Road Company—Protest of Peru against the place of crossing the River—Peru and Grandetour Plank Road.

Election in 1849—First appearance of Cholera—Elections in 1850—Project for a Rail Road to Aurora—Burning of the National Hotel—Establishment of the "Peru Democrat"—The issue of $25,000 Bonds authorized on account of Peru and Rock Island Rail Road—United States Census—Incorporation of the City—Territory embraced in City Limits—Elections under the Charter in 1851—Question of issuing Bonds on account of subscription to the Stock of Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road decided unanimously in the affirmative at an Election—Resurvey of the City—Issue of $40,000 of Bonds—Organization of the Central Rail Road Company—Protest of Peru against the place of crossing the River—Peru and Grandetour Plank Road.

At an election held on the 2d April, 1849, P. M. Kilduff, Frederick Kaiser, S. N. Maze, Noah Sapp and David Lininger were elected Trustees. Whole number of Votes 159. This Boardelected P. M. Kilduff, President; Erasmus Winslow, Clerk; Ezra McKinzie, Assessor; James Cahill, Collector; J. P. Thompson, Street Commissioner, Constable and Fire Warden; and H. S. Beebe, Treasurer. In consequence of the absence of Beebe, H. L. Tuller was elected Treasurer in his place.

In the Spring of this year the cholera first made its appearance in the West. In the months of April and May several citizens fell victims to the disease. On the 20th of June it suddenly assumed a malignant and virulent character, and some hundreds were swept off in the course of three or four weeks. The citizens were generally panic stricken, and many fled. It suddenly ceased, and the season thenceforth was healthy.

In the summer of this year the second permanent and substantial warehouse, directly upon the river, was erected by Churchill Coffing, Esq.

At an election held on the 1st April, 1850, T. D. Brewster, I. D. Harmon, William Paul, Erasmus Winslow and William Roush were elected Trustees. Whole number of votes 49—This Board elected William Paul, President; P. M. Kilduff, Clerk; H. L. Tuller, Treasurer; Geo. Low,Assessor; J. P. Thompson, Street Commissioner; Michael Griffith, Constable; Edmund Pennington, Fire Warden; James Cahill, Collector; and Erasmus Winslow, Health Commissioner. During this year the subject of Railroads began to attract the attention of the people of Illinois. The inhabitants of the town were a good deal excited about the location of one from Aurora, in Kane county, to Peru, via. Ottawa. Subscriptions were raised, and one hundred dollars were appropriated from the treasury to defray the expenses of the survey. This road was never constructed, but the interests of the town were afterwards satisfied by the construction of the Aurora Extension, and Chicago and Burlington, crossing the Illinois Central at Mendota.

In August, the National Hotel, owned by Z. Lewis Esq., was destroyed by fire. This was the largest and best building in the town, and was the first serious loss by fire.

In this year, Adam Lerch was appointed Street Commissioner, in place of Thompson who was removed.

In October Hammond and Welch established the "Peru Democrat," a weekly newspaper. Itsoon took a high rank and became one of the leading and most influential papers in the interior of the State. Thomas W. Welch, the editor of this paper, gave promise of great usefulness in future years. He was a vigorous writer, energetic and industrious, and imparted a degree of vivacity and spirit to his sheet, rarely met with in country newspapers. He was born at Reading, England, and died at Princeton, Illinois, on the 26th September, 1852, aged twenty-nine years.

On the 9th November a resolution passed the Board, authorizing a subscription on the part of the town, of $25,000 towards the capital stock of the Rock Island and Peru Railroad, on condition that the road should make its eastern terminus on section 16.

By the returns of the United States census for 1850 there were 4,500 inhabitants in the town! That this was an error is most manifest. A steady increase of population and dwellings took place from this period to the first of June, 1854, when by a census carefully taken, by one of the citizens, there were only 3,036 inhabitants. A similar increase has been going on until the present time, when there are found to be only 3,652. If sucha decrease has taken place where are the tenements vacated? A similar error occurs in the United States census returns of La Salle, the population of which is set down at 3,201. A census, taken by the authority of the town soon after, exhibited 1,100! It is probable that the census taker was contented with the answer of the first man he met, of whom he enquired the amount of population, and that this person happened to be a large lot holder. Generally, in such cases, if the amount stated be divided by two, an approximate result may be obtained.

On the 15th March, 1851, the town of Peru was incorporated as a City. The territory incorporated embraced the South half of Section 16, the South East quarter of Section 17, the North East fractional quarter of Section 20 and all of Section 21 North of the river. The extent of territory embraced in the City, was forty-eight acres less than that in the borough, that part of Section 21 included containing forty-five acres, while the North West fractional quarter of Section 20 excluded contained ninety-three acres.—This territory was divided into two wards. The leading motive in petitioning for this Charterundoubtedly was to enable the City to issue Bonds on account of Rail Road subscriptions.

The first election held under this Charter was held in April, 1851, which resulted in the election of T. D. Brewster, Mayor; Geo. W. Gilson and Jacob S. Miller, Aldermen for the First Ward, and Erasmus Winslow and John Morris, Aldermen for the Second Ward. Whole number of votes 196.—By the provisions of the Charter, the Aldermen were to be elected for two years—two out of the first four retiring at the end of the first year—to be determined by lot. Gilson and Winslow drew the long term. This Council elected Churchill Coffing, Clerk; P. M. Kilduff, Treasurer; F. S. Day, Assessor; A. Roberts, Marshal; Z. Lewis, Street Commissioner; and James Cahill Collector.

The question of issuing Bonds on account of subscription to the Stock of the Rock Island and La Salle Rail Road, (the Charter having been so amended as to continue the road to Chicago,) was submitted to a vote of the people on the 17th May. The vote in the affirmative was unanimous.

Conflicting claims having arisen out ofdiscrepancies between former surveys of the town, a new survey was ordered and established by ordinance, and other measures taken to legalize the act.

On the 22d February, 1852, the Rail Road Charter having been again amended and the Company denominated the Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road Company, the question of an issue of Bonds on account of subscription to its Stock, to the extent of $40,000, including the $25,000 previously authorized, was submitted to a vote of the people. Strenuous exertions had been made to defeat the subscription; and this time there were found to be 16 votes in the negative to 280 in the affirmative. $40,000 of 10 per cent Bonds were issued, and the same amount was subscribed to the Stock of the Road, which during the fall and winter was commenced and vigorously prosecuted.

The certificates of stock thus subscribed for were, by virtue of section 5 of an ordinance passed 12th April, 1852, to remain with the Rock Island Railroad Company in trust, pledged for the payment of the bonds and interest, and convertible into stock at the option of the holder; thus givinghim the advantage of any advance of the stock above par, while the City must pocket the loss of any depression below. The interest due on the 1st November was paid by means of a loan authorized by the Council on the 18th October. Interest scrip of an equal amount was issued by the Company, convertible into stock on the completion of the Road.

In the winter, the charter of the Illinois Central Railroad company was granted. The lands, formerly ceded by Congress, were donated to this company, upon the condition that they should build a road from the mouth of the Ohio to the junction of the canal and Illinois river, with branches &c. The same terms were prescribed by Congress in the act of cession. The people of Peru assumed, that by this it was intended that it should terminate at the pier head, where the waters of the canal and river unite. The company proceeded to build the bridge across the river at the mouth of the Little Vermillion, a mile and a-half above. This drew forth a vigorous protest from the City Council which was duly forwarded to the officers of the company, and to the proper Department at Washington. Nothing however came ofit, and the company proceeded to complete their works according to their original plan. This gave to the rival City of La Salle still further advantages, by way for facilities of trade, north and south.

On the 5th February, 1850, the Peru and Grandetour Plank Road company was organized, under a charter previously obtained, by the election of T. D. Brewster, J. H. McMillan, William Paul and J. L. McCormick of Peru, Tracy Reeve of Lamoile, F. R. Dutcher of Shelburn, and Solon Cummings of Grandetour, Directors. In September, 1851, so much of the road was completed as justified, under the charter, the collection of tolls. It was afterwards completed as far as Arlington, in Bureau county, and partially constructed to Lamoile. This enterprise was looked upon as promising great advantages, not only to the town, but also to the country through which it passed. The result demonstrated that these expectations were reasonable. The large traffic which passed over it, for a few succeeding years, could not by any possibility have existed without it. It was originally contemplated to finish it to Grandetour, on Rock river, but want of fundsdelayed the work, until the construction of intersecting lines of Railroads, in a degree, superseded its necessity. The road has since been allowed to run down, and the plank have been removed. The company at present do not pretend to exercise any control over it. For a great portion of the present season, it has been in so bad a condition as to be quite impassable for loaded teams, and nearly so for vehicles of any description. Thus cut off from the trade of the north by bad roads, and of the south by the difficulty in crossing the river and bottom, the only resource that remained to the trading portion of the community, was to trade with each other. In this it is to be hoped they have been as successful as the boys who traded jack-knives with each other all day.

Elections in 1852—Reappearance of the Cholera—Operations on the Rail Road—Elections in 1853—Resignation of the Mayor and new Election—Issue of $10,000 eight per cent. Market House Bonds—Opening of the Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road to Peru—Establishment of the "Peru Weekly Chronicle" and "Daily Chronicle"—E. Higgins & Co's and McMillan & Co's Stores burnt—Elections in 1854—Blue Ballot Question—Manner of Paying Interest on Bonds—Opening of the Rail Road to Rock Island—Census—Completion of the Market House and issue of $2,600 Bonds.

Elections in 1852—Reappearance of the Cholera—Operations on the Rail Road—Elections in 1853—Resignation of the Mayor and new Election—Issue of $10,000 eight per cent. Market House Bonds—Opening of the Chicago and Rock Island Rail Road to Peru—Establishment of the "Peru Weekly Chronicle" and "Daily Chronicle"—E. Higgins & Co's and McMillan & Co's Stores burnt—Elections in 1854—Blue Ballot Question—Manner of Paying Interest on Bonds—Opening of the Rail Road to Rock Island—Census—Completion of the Market House and issue of $2,600 Bonds.

At an election held on the 5th day of April, 1852, T. D. Brewster was reelected Mayor, John Morris elected Alderman for the First Ward, and C. R. Holmes for the Second. Whole number of votes, 220. The Council elected I. D. Taylor. Clerk; P. M. Kilduff, Treasurer; E. S. Holbrook,Assessor; Richard Lonsbury, Collector and Street commissioner; and Fredrick Schulte, Marshal.

During the Summer, the Cholera again made its appearance, and with increased violence.—From the first settlement of the town to 1849, with the exception of the years 1838 and 1839, when bilious fevers prevailed to some extent, the inhabitants had enjoyed immunity from disease, seldom experienced in new western settlements, or indeed in any other. For the space of one year, no death occurred except from casualty. Even the ague found few, if any subjects. Throughout the summers of 1850 and 1851, cholera continued its ravages in the surrounding towns and country, and visited Peru but slightly. In the early part of the summer of 1852, while La Salle and other contiguous places were scourged, Peru remained healthy. At length it appeared to have spent its material and departed the entire country. Suddenly it reappeared; and while the places previously afflicted remained healthy, Peru was devastated to an extent not surpassed, if equaled, by any place in the United States. The estimated number of victims was from five to six hundred, being about one-sixth of the entirepopulation. It was observed that less panic and excitement were produced than upon its visitation in 1849. But few cases occurred in the two following years; and from that time to the present—1858—the same freedom from disease has prevailed which distinguished its early settlement. Throughout this year operations on the Railroad were pushed forward with great energy.

At an election held on the 4th April, 1853, P. M. Kilduff and H. S. Beebe each received 144 votes for Mayor. Churchill Coffing was elected Alderman for the First Ward, and John L. Coates for the Second Ward. On counting the votes for Mayor, a question arose concerning the validity of a ballot deposited for Beebe. By the statute it is provided that if, upon counting the votes given at any election, two ballots shall be found folded together, attempt at fraud shall be presumed and both ballots thrown out. In this case one piece of paper was found with the name of Beebe printed on it twice. It was decided by the Council that no evidence of attempt at fraud was here presented, that none could by any possibility be thus perpetrated, and that the ballot should be counted as one vote. By this decision a tieexisted. The election was then decided by lot, agreeable to the provisions of an ordinance for the case provided, in favor of Beebe. The Council elected J. D. Taylor, Clerk; J. V. H. Judd and R. P. Wright, a board of Health; J. L. Coates, Treasurer; E. S. Holbrook, Assessor; James Cahill, Collector; J. P. Thompson, Marshal; T. E. G. Ransom, Surveyor; and A. F. Powers, Sexton. The place of John Morris becoming vacant by means of his removal from the Ward, J. L. McCormick was elected Alderman in his place. The May interest on the Railroad bonds was provided for in the same manner as on the preceding November.

On the 21st May Beebe resigned as Mayor, and a new election was ordered which resulted in the election of Kilduff by 52 majority, Beebe being again his opponent. Whole number of votes 298.

On the 20th August $5,000 of bonds, bearing ten per cent. interest, were authorized to be issued for the purpose of building a City Hall and for current expenses; and on the 17th September $10,000 of bonds, bearing eight per cent. interest, were authorized to be issued for the same purpose. The $5,000 bonds first authorized were never issued.

In April of this year the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad was opened for traffic and travel to Peru.

The "Peru Weekly Chronicle" was established by J. F. and N. Linton, on the 1st March, and its publication was continued until September, 1856. For ten months during this period, the Messrs. Linton also published a "Daily Chronicle" which was in all respects creditable to them and to the town. About the beginning of this year a serious fire took place on Water street, which destroyed two large three-story stone stores, with most of their contents, one occupied by E. Higgins & Co. as a Hardware store, and the other by J. H. McMillan & Co. as a Dry Goods store.

At an election held on the 26th April, 1854, T. D. Brewster was elected Mayor, Antoine Birkenbuel, Alderman for the First Ward, David Dana for the Second Ward, and John P. Thompson, Police Magistrate. The Council elected Henry Jones, Clerk; Geo. W. Gilson, Treasurer; James Cahill, Collector; Geo. Low, Assessor; W. H. Foot, Marshal; William Lopstater, Street Commissioner; and A. F. Powers, Sexton.

A question arose concerning the validity of thiselection. By the Constitution it is provided, that at all elections voting shall be by ballot on white paper. In this case ballots were found for Brewster for Mayor, printed or written on paper having a blue tinge—the ordinary blue tinged writing paper. It was contended that this was not white paper within the meaning of the Constitution. The former Mayor refused to surrender the seals and books of the City, and Aldermen Coffing and Coates abstained from the meetings of the Council. The question was carried by mandamus to the Supreme Court and decided in favor of the validity of the election.

No provision was made for the payment of the interest on the Railroad bonds due on the 1st of May, until the 26th August, when a loan for that purpose was authorized. In this, as on former occasions of paying interest on these bonds, a loss of about $300 was sustained by the City which was made up from the general fund. This arose from the depreciation of the interest scrip issued by the company, which did not bear interest, and which was not convertible until the completion of the Road, and from exchange.

In April of this year, the Chicago and RockIsland Railroad was opened to Rock Island, its entire length. No particular improvement in business took place in consequence.

By a census taken on the 1st June, the number of inhabitants was found to be 3,036.

In January, 1855, the new Market House and City Hall was completed. On the 10th February $2,600 of eight per cent. bonds were issued to pay the balance due the contractors.

Elections in 1855—City indebtedness—Issue of $5,000 eight per cent bonds—Resignation of the Mayor—Establishment of the "Peru Sentinel"—Elections in 1856—Railroad Round House burnt—$20,000 bridge bonds authorized—Appropriations for damages for flooded stores—Extra Railroad dividend—Hoffman House burnt—Chair Factory burnt—Geo. B. Willis—Extension of the City limits—Recorders Court—Elections in 1857—Non-payment of interest on City bonds—Financial revulsion—Fitzsimmons & Beebe's Foundry and Machine Shop burnt—Elections in 1858—Issue of $5,000 ten per cent. interest bonds authorized—Rainy weather and bad roads—Revival of business.

Elections in 1855—City indebtedness—Issue of $5,000 eight per cent bonds—Resignation of the Mayor—Establishment of the "Peru Sentinel"—Elections in 1856—Railroad Round House burnt—$20,000 bridge bonds authorized—Appropriations for damages for flooded stores—Extra Railroad dividend—Hoffman House burnt—Chair Factory burnt—Geo. B. Willis—Extension of the City limits—Recorders Court—Elections in 1857—Non-payment of interest on City bonds—Financial revulsion—Fitzsimmons & Beebe's Foundry and Machine Shop burnt—Elections in 1858—Issue of $5,000 ten per cent. interest bonds authorized—Rainy weather and bad roads—Revival of business.

At an Election held on the 2d April, 1855, Geo. W. Gilson was elected Mayor, R. H. Booth Alderman for the First Ward, and A. L. Shepherd for the Second Ward. The Council elected Henry Jones, Clerk; W. Johnson, Treasurer;J. B. White, Collector; Isaac Abraham, Assessor; Peter Fought and William Wilde, Street Commissioners; G. N. McKinzie, Marshall; Chas. Blanchard, Attorney; T. E. G. Ransom, Surveyor; John Higgins, Health Officer; A. F. Powers, Sexton; and Chas. Love and A. L. Bull, Fire Wardens.

On the 12th April the City indebtedness was ascertained to be as follows:

Bonds issued on account of Railroad$40,000Bonds issued on account of Market House12,600Scrip outstanding1,950Total City indebtedness$54,550

On the 30th May a further issue of $5,000 eight per cent. bonds was authorized by the Council for current expenses, which were issued and sold for 4,500.

On the 25th July, R. A. Winston was elected Alderman for the Second Ward, in place of Shepherd whose office became vacant by reason of his removal from that Ward.

On the 8th December Gilson resigned as Mayor.

On the 22nd December Ransom resigned asSurveyor, and H. H. Brown was elected in his place.

The "Peru Sentinel," a weekly newspaper, was established by J. L. McCormick and Guy Hulett in August. It was always a Democratic organ, and now having passed under the management of J. F. Meginness Esq., is fighting valiantly for Douglas and against Lecompton.[1]

On the 7th April, 1856, J. L. McCormick was elected Mayor, P. M. Kilduff Alderman for the First Ward, and C. L. Huntoon for the Second Ward. The Council elected M. C. Harmon, Clerk; J. B. White, Treasurer; Chas. Blanchard, Attorney; Henry Jones, Collector; Geo. O. Banks, Assessor; Peter Fought and J. P. Thompson, Street Commissioners; H. H. Brown, Surveyor; W. H. Foot, Marshal.

In the month of May the Round House, belonging to the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad Company, was destroyed by fire.

On the 17th June the question of issuing $20,000 bonds on account of subscription towards the stock of a Bridge Company, chartered for thepurpose of building a bridge across the river at the foot of White street, was submitted to a vote of the people. It was decided in the affirmative by a large majority. The bonds have never been issued nor the subscription made—nor the bridge built. Among the appropriations for this year were $575 to H. G. W. Cronise, and $218.50 to Joseph Kelly for damages sustained by the flooding of their stores with water, caused by deficiency in the culverts.

The Railroad Company commenced paying semi-annual dividends on their stock on the 1st of November, 1854,—first dividend four per cent; all after five; and continued doing so until the 1st November, 1856, when an extra dividend of twelve and a-half per cent. payable in stock, was made. From this the City realized $4,825, a portion of which was used in paying off two judgements which had been obtained against the City, and upon which the City Hall had been sold, amounting together to $1,474.50. The balance was used for the payment of outstanding coupons on the various kinds of bonds, and other claims.

On the 7th January another serious loss by firetook place. The Hoffman House, owned by John Hoffman and occupied by P. T. Moore, was destroyed. The building was thoroughly and substantially built, although of wood, and occupied a beautiful site, and was one of the leading institutions of the town. The loss to both owner and occupant was heavy.

On the 26th September, of the same year, an extensive chair, furniture, sash and blind factory, erected through the indomitable energy and perseverance of Geo. B. Willis, was destroyed by fire. Loss about $20,000. The fate of Mr. Willis, who is now beyond the reach of praise or censure, calls for a passing notice. He came to Peru, poor and blind. By his sagacity and energy he so improved his circumstances that he succeeded in building and putting into operation a manufactory which gave employment to about fifty mechanics. The manner in which he conducted this business would have done credit to any person in the possession of all of his senses, but was very remarkable when done by one who suffered under the loss of so important an organ as that of sight. But the load was too heavy for him to carry. He staggered for a time and fell.Disappointment, mortification, anxiety and despondency did their work. The grave holds him. Whose hand was stretched forth to lighten the burden under which he began to reel? Whose voice whispered words of sympathy and hope when discouragement and disaster crowded upon him? Whose was the intelligent self interest that enquired whether a small amount of aid, in money or credit, would not sustain and foster an enterprise which, in its turn, would invigorate every interest in the community?—Whose was the practical sagacity that perceived, that fifty male operatives, with their families and dependants, were of more value in advancing the growth and prosperity of the town than the rows of stately and costly stores, which have for years stood idle and tenantless? Where were the men—generally to be found on every corner—who proclaim that upon manufacturing industry alone must Peru depend for advancement? Ah! When it was perceived that Mr. Willis had undertaken an enterprise to which his energies and means were inadequate, how hands which, had been stretched forth to catch the copious streams of disbursement, slunk into the fathomless depthsof pockets! How importunate and inexorable were those cormorants of every petty western community, called by courtesy, "Banks," which had moused into every nook and corner for paper which it was hoped would prove a profitable investment.

In February, 1857, by act of the Legislature, the limits of the City were extended over the whole of Section 16 and 17. This made the superficial area 1462 acres. In the same month an act passed, creating a Recorders Court for the Cities of Peru and La Salle, with jurisdiction over the territory of the Townships of Salisbury and La Salle—six square miles. Churchill Coffing was appointed Judge, and Daniel Evans, Clerk, who entered upon the discharge of their duties.—One term of the Court was held at La Salle. A question arose concerning the constitutionality, of this Court which was taken, by an agreed case, to the Supreme Court, where it was held that it was an Inferior Court; that the Legislature possessed the power only to grant jurisdiction to such Courts over the territory of a single City; that by no implication could the Constitution be construed so as to grant the power to extend it overterritory not embraced within city limits; that the whole act must be considered together; that the powers therein granted could not be separated, and if one part was found to be constitutionally objectionable, the whole must fall together; and that therefore the act was unconstitutional and void.

At an election held in April, 1857, John L. McCormick was reelected Mayor and F. W. Schulte was elected Alderman for the First Ward. No election was made in the Second Ward, Erasmus Winslow and I. C. Day each receiving 63 votes. On the 2d May, a new election was called which resulted in each again receiving 63 votes. The question was then decided by lot in favor of Winslow. The Council elected Jno. J. Dowling, Clerk; David Lininger, Assessor; D. O. Sullivan, Collector; H. G. W. Cronise, Treasurer; W. H. Foot, Marshall; William Hackman and Owen Judge, Street Commissioners; G. D. Ladd, Attorney; Geo. Seebach and J. T. Milling, Health Officers; William Lambach, Surveyor; and A. F. Powers, Sexton. On the 27th May, Ladd resigned as Attorney, and Thomas Halligan was elected in his place.

The Rail Road Company passed the payment of their November dividend and the city also passed the payment of interest on her bonds.

During the latter part of this year a financial hurricane, commencing in the United States, swept over the world. Money vanished from sight as if by the wand of a magician. General health, bounteous crops, and great activity in every branch of industry had prevailed.—Suddenly everything was arrested as though some Titan held his hand upon a brake lever. Peru did not escape the general disaster. Prices of produce became so low that farmers declined to market it, preferring to allow their creditors to wait and suffer the consequences of shattered credit. But few failures, however, took place.—The Banks did not suspend. Nobody failed—nobody ever does fail in Illinois until the Sheriff sells them out or shuts them up.

On the 11th October, the Foundry and Machine Shop of Fitzsimmons and Beebe was destroyed by fire. Loss $16,500—insurance $5,500. This establishment had given employment to some thirty or forty men. Thus another of the industrial establishments of Peru went out. It is a gloomyfact, and by no means promising sign, that with the exception of the stores of E. Higgins & Co., and McMillan & Co., no important establishment, destroyed by fire, has been rebuilt. The blackened walls and foundations of the National Hotel, Hoffman House, Lauber's Cabinet Shop, the Chair Factory and the Foundry and Machine Shop betray the lack of recuperative energies.

At an election held on the 5th of April, 1858, John L. McCormick was again reelected Mayor, and N. Young was elected Alderman for the First Ward, James Cahill for the Second Ward, and P. M. Kilduff, Police Magistrate. The Council elected John J. Dowling, Clerk; H. G. W. Cronise, Treasurer; T. P. Halligan, Attorney; D. O. Sullivan, Collector; Henry Jones, Assessor; P. W. Milander and Owen Judge, Street Commissioners; W. F. Lambach, Surveyor; G. W. Lininger and Bartlett Denny, Fire Wardens; G. W. Lininger Inspector of weights and measures; A. L. Bull, inspector of lumber and wood; W. H. Foot, Marshal; John Scott and Michael Noon, Assistant Marshals; and A. F. Powers Sexton.

On the 7th day of June, the question ofissuing $5,000 of ten per cent. bonds, for the purpose of paying the interest over due on the bonds before issued, was submitted to a vote of the people and decided affirmatively by 21 majority.

The Spring of this year was remarkable for heavy and protracted rains. The roads from the 1st May to the 1st July were nearly impassable, and the ground was so saturated as to make cultivation impossible. About the middle of June it ceased raining, and crops which were thought to be ruined came forward with remarkable promise. At this present writing (10th July) every indication exists of a full average crop.

The grain and other produce, which had been kept back on account of low prices in the fall, could not be brought to market in the spring on account of the bad condition of the roads. At this time, however, the streets are crowded with teams, fair prices are paid for produce, debts are being liquidated, the merchants and mechanics are busy and satisfied, and every interest is reviving.

[1]On the 17th August, this office was destroyed by fire. The building—a three-story brick—in which it was situated, was owned by J. L. McCormick, Esq., and was the first brick building erected in the town. It was built in 1839.

[1]On the 17th August, this office was destroyed by fire. The building—a three-story brick—in which it was situated, was owned by J. L. McCormick, Esq., and was the first brick building erected in the town. It was built in 1839.


Back to IndexNext