RECAPITULATION.ToC

1.Newtychanning, an Indian town of about 20 houses, located on the west side of the Susquehanna, near North Towanda, Bradford County, Pa. Destroyed by Col. Proctor, Aug. 8, 1779. See note 60.

2.Old Chemung, an Indian town partially abandoned, located on the north bank of Chemung river, half a mile above present Chemung village. Destroyed Aug. 13, 1779. See note 66.

3.New Chemung, an Indian town of fifty or sixty houses, located on the left bank of the Chemung river, three miles above the present village of Chemung, in Chemung County. Destroyed Aug. 13, 1779. See note 66.

4.Newtown, an Indian town of about 20 houses, located on the north bank of Chemung river, five miles below Elmira. It gave the name to the battle fought near it Aug. 29, 1779. Destroyed August 31, 1779. See note 74.

5. A village of 20 to 30 new houses, located on both sides of Baldwin's creek, about a mile and a half from Chemung river, at the exact point where Gen. Poor commenced the ascent of the hill. Destroyed Aug. 29, 1779. See note 74.

6. A small village on Baldwin's creek, near the works of the enemy, at Newtown, the timbers of which were used in the construction of the fortifications. See note 74.

7. A small village on Seely creek, near present Southport, south of Elmira. Destroyed Aug. 30, 1779. See note 74.

8.Albout, a Scotch, tory settlement on the east side the Unadilla, about five miles above Unadilla. Burned August 12, 1779, by Gen. Clinton. See note 129.

9.Shawhiangto, a small Tuscarora town, four miles below Onoquago, of ten or twelve houses, located on the west side of the Susquehanna, near present Windsor, in Broome County. Burned August 17, 1779, by Gen. Clinton. See note 134.

10.Ingaren, a Tuscarora town of five or six houses, sometimes called Tuscarora, at Great Bend, Susquehanna county, Penn. Destroyed Aug. 17, 1779, by Gen. Clinton. See note 135.

11.OtsiningoorChenango, an important Indian town abandoned and destroyed by the Indians in the winter of 1778-9, located four miles north of Binghamton in Broome County. See note 136.

12.Choconut, orChugnutt, an important Indian town of fifty or sixty houses mostly on the south side of the Susquehanna river, at the mouth of Big Choconut creek, in Broome County. Destroyed by Gen. Poor Aug. 19, 1779. See note 137.

13.Owagea, an Indian town of about twenty houses, on Owego creek, about a mile from the Susquehanna river, in the north part of present Owego,—was a small hamlet, also near the river. Destroyed August 19, 1779. See note 138.

14.Manckatawangum, orRed Bank,—an Indian town on the south side of the Susquehanna river, nearly opposite the present village of Barton, in Tioga county,—near Fitzgerald's Farm, according to Beatty. See note 139.

General Sullivan under date of Aug. 30th, says: "The number of Indian towns destroyed since the commencement of the expedition, including those burnt by General Clinton previous to the junction, is, I think, fourteen, some of them considerable, others inconsiderable."

15.Middletown, an Indian hamlet of eight houses, located on the north bank of Chemung river, between Newtown and present Elmira. Destroyed Aug. 31, 1779. See note 77.

16.KanawlohallaorCanaweola, on the site of present Elmira in Chemung county. George Grant says it contained twenty houses. This was the site of Fort Reid. Destroyed while the army was on the march, August 31, 1779. See note 77.

17.Big Flats, on the north bank of Chemung river, eight miles above present Elmira. An early French map calls a village at this point Runonvea, Destroyed by a detachment under Col. Dayton Aug. 31, 1779. See note 77.

18.SheoquagaorCatharine's Town, an Indian village of thirty houses, located on the site of present Havana in Schuyler County. Destroyed Sept. 2, 1779. See note 78.

19.Peach Orchard, an Indian town of an unknown name on the site of present Peach Orchard, ten miles north of Havana, on east shore of Seneca lake. Destroyed Sept. 3, 1779. See note 79.

20.Condawhaw, a small Indian town on the east shore of Seneca lake, at present site of North Hector, so called by Luke Swetland in 1778. Destroyed Sept. 4, 1779. See note 80.

21.Kendaia, orAppletown, located on lot 79, Romulus, on the east side of Seneca lake. It contained about twenty houses. Destroyed Sept. 6, 1779. See note 81.

22.Butler's Buildings, so called, consisting of a few buildings, located near present canal bridge in the village of Geneva. Destroyed while on the march Sept. 7, 1779. See note 84.

23.Kanadaseaga,the grand village, and capital of the Senecas, located one and a half miles north-west of present Geneva. It contained about sixty well built houses. Destroyed Sept. 9, 1779. See note 84.

24.GothseungqueanorShenanwaga, a village of twenty houses located on both sides of Kershong creek, near the west shore of Seneca lake, seven miles south of Geneva. Destroyed by a detachment under Major Parr, Sept. 8, 1779. See note 84.

25.Kanandaigua, an Indian town of twenty-three houses, located about a mile from the lake, in west part of present village of Canandaigua. Destroyed Sept. 10, 1779. See note 86.

26.Hanneyaye, an Indian town of twenty houses, located at foot of Honeoye lake, east of the outlet. One house was occupied as a fort by Capt. Cummings. Destroyed Sept. 11, 1779. See note 87.

27.Kanaghsaws, also calledAdjutoa, an Indian town of eighteen houses located three-fourths of a mile south-east of the head of Conesus lake on the farm of Dr. McMillen. Destroyed September 13, 1779. See note 89.

28.GathtsegwarohareorCassawauloughly, an important Indian town of twenty-five houses, located on the east side of Canaseraga creek, about two miles from its confluence with the Genesee, at the "Hermitage," formerly owned by Judge Caroll. Destroyed Sept. 14, 1779. See note 93.

29.ChenandoanesorGreat Genesee Castle, sometimes called Little Beard's Town,—contained one hundred andtwenty-eight houses, located on the west side of Genesee river, mostly on the north side of Beard's creek, north-east of Cuylerville. Destroyed Sept. 15, 1779. See note 95.

30.Scawyace, orLong Falls, an important Indian town on the north bank of the Seneca river on present site of Waterloo, in Seneca County,—was partially destroyed by a volunteer force under Col. Harper, Sept. 8, 1779,—destruction completed Sept. 21, by Major Scott, of Colonel Butler's detachment. See note 140.

31.Choharo, a hamlet of two houses at the foot of Cayuga lake, where Colonel Butler's detachment forded the river. This was the ancient Tichero of the Jesuit Relations. Destroyed Sept. 21, by Colonel Butler. See note 142.

32.Gewauga, a small hamlet located on the east side of Cayuga lake, on the site of present Union Springs in Cayuga County. Destroyed Sept. 22, 1779. See note 141.

33.Goiogouen, of the Jesuit Relations, made up of three separate towns, viz:

(1).Cayuga Castle, containing fifteen very large houses built of squared logs, located near the south line of the town of Springport in Cayuga County, on the north bank of Great Gully Brook, from one to two miles from the lake. See note 143.(2).East Cayuga, Old Town, containing thirteen houses, located in the south-east corner of the town of Springport, from three to four miles from Cayuga lake. A site in the south-west corner of Fleming, was probably a site of this clan. Destroyed Sept. 22. See note 145.(3).Upper Cayuga, containing fourteen large houses, located near the north line of the town of Ledyard in Cayuga County, on the south bank of Great Gully Brook, from one to two miles from Cayuga Lake. Destroyed Sept. 22. See note 144.George Grant describes the three preceding towns as one town containing fifty houses, with many scattering towns within two or three miles. Gen. Sullivan's official report says that "Colonel Butler destroyed five principal towns and a number of scattering houses,—the whole making about one hundred in number." Capt. Lodge's Map designates three towns by name.

(1).Cayuga Castle, containing fifteen very large houses built of squared logs, located near the south line of the town of Springport in Cayuga County, on the north bank of Great Gully Brook, from one to two miles from the lake. See note 143.

(2).East Cayuga, Old Town, containing thirteen houses, located in the south-east corner of the town of Springport, from three to four miles from Cayuga lake. A site in the south-west corner of Fleming, was probably a site of this clan. Destroyed Sept. 22. See note 145.

(3).Upper Cayuga, containing fourteen large houses, located near the north line of the town of Ledyard in Cayuga County, on the south bank of Great Gully Brook, from one to two miles from Cayuga Lake. Destroyed Sept. 22. See note 144.

George Grant describes the three preceding towns as one town containing fifty houses, with many scattering towns within two or three miles. Gen. Sullivan's official report says that "Colonel Butler destroyed five principal towns and a number of scattering houses,—the whole making about one hundred in number." Capt. Lodge's Map designates three towns by name.

34.ChonodoteorPeach Tree Town, also called Chandot, a town containing fourteen houses, located on the site ofpresent Aurora, in Cayuga County. This town contained 1500 peach trees. Destroyed Sept. 24th by the detachment under Col. William Butler. See note 146.

35. A small hamlet of three houses, on the Shankwiller farm, in town of Fayette, Seneca County, four miles from Cayuga lake. Destroyed by Colonel Dearborn Sept. 21. See note 155.

36. A small town of ten buildings on the west shore of Cayuga lake, one mile north of Canoga Creek. Destroyed by Col. Dearborn's detachment Sept. 21, 1779. See note 156.

37.Skannayutenate, an Indian village of ten houses, located on the south bank of Canoga creek, on the west shore of Cayuga lake, a half mile north-east of Canoga village in Seneca County. Destroyed by Lieut. Col. Dearborn Sept. 21, 1779. See note 157.

38.Newtown, an Indian village of nine houses, located one mile south-east of village of Canoga, on the west shore of Cayuga lake, a mile south of Skannayutenate. Destroyed Sept. 21, 1779 by Lieut. Col. Dearborn. See note 158.

39.Swahyawana, an Indian town located on the west shore of Cayuga lake, on the farm of Edward R. Dean, in the north-east corner of the town of Romulus in Seneca County. Destroyed Sept. 22, 1779, by Lieut. Col. Henry Dearborn. See note 159.

40.Coreorgonel, an important Indian town of twenty-five houses, located on the west side of Cayuga inlet, about two miles south of Ithaca, and three miles from the head of Cayuga lake. It appears as Todevighrono, the name of the tribe on the Gay Johnson Map of 1771. Destroyed by the detachment under Lieut. Col. Dearborn Sept. 24, 1779. See note 161.

The following Journals are those of officers actively engaged in Sullivan's campaign:

I.—Anonymous.From June 18 to Sept. 13, 1779. Printed in Hill's New Hampshire Patriot, at Portsmouth, September 16, 1843. An imperfect copy of Norris' Journal, with several omissions, and many important errors.

II.—Barton, William, Lieutenant in the Jersey Brigade. From June 8 to October 9, 1779. Published in the Transactions of the New Jersey Historical Society, Vol. II, 1846-7, p. 22.

III.—Beatty, Erkuries, Lieutenant in the Fourth Pennsylvania Regiment. From June 11 to October 22, 1779, in Sullivan's Campaign. Also from April 6 to April 29 of same year in the campaign against the Onondagas. The original manuscript in the Archives of the New York Historical Society. Has never been published.

IV.—Blake, Thomas, Lieutenant in Second New Hampshire Regiment. From May 19 to October 15, 1779. Published in Ridder's History of the First New Hampshire Regiment.

V.—Campfield, Jabez, Surgeon in Spencer's Fifth New Jersey Regiment. From May 23 to October 2, 1779. Published in the Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society 1873, pp. 115 to 136, from the original presented to the Society by Edmund D. Halsey.

VI.—Dearborn, Henry, Lieutenant Colonel commanding the Third New Hampshire Regiment. From June 16 to October 15, 1779; transcribed from the original by his son, General Henry A.S. Dearborn. This copy in charge of Colonel C.G. Thornton, of Madison, Wisconsin, executor of the Dearborn estate. The original manuscript of Henry Dearborn is in the hands of John S. Fogg, Esq., of Boston, Mass.

VII.—Elmer, Ebenezer, Surgeon in Second New Jersey Regiment. From June 18 to August 14, 1779. The original manuscript in the Archives of the New Jersey Historical Society. Extracts were published in the Transactions of the Society in 1846-7.

VIII.—Fellows, Moses, Sergeant in the Third New Hampshire Regiment. From July 22 to September 20, 1779. The original in possession of A. Tiffany Norton, Esq., of Lima, N.Y.

IX.—Gookin, Daniel, Ensign in Second New Hampshire Regiment. From May 4 to September 5, 1779. Published in the New England Hist. and Gen'l Register for January, 1862.

X.—Grant, George, Sergeant Major in the Third New Jersey Regiment. From May 17 to November 3, 1779. Published in Hazard's Register (Pa.) Vol. 14, pp. 72-76.

XI.—Grant, Thomas, appears from the Journal to have been one of the surveying party under Captain Lodge, who accompanied the army from Easton and with chain and compass, surveyed the entire route to the Genesee river. From July 31 to September 25, 1779. Published in the Historical Magazine for August and September, 1862.

XII.—Hardenbergh, John L., Lieutenant in Colonel Van Cortlandt's Second New York Regiment. From May 1 to October 23, 1779. The original manuscript inpossession of the Hardenbergh family in Auburn. Published by the Cayuga County Historical Society, 1879.

XIII.—Hubley, Adam, Colonel of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Regiment. From July 31 to October 7, 1779. Published in Miner's History of Wyoming. Appendix, 1845. The original contained several illustrations, and maps of encampments, not in the published copy.

XIV.—Jenkins, John, Lieutenant and guide in the expedition. From June 5, 1778, to March 17, 1781. The original manuscript in the hands of his grandson, Hon. Steuben Jenkins, of Wyoming, Pa. It has never been published.

XV.—Livermore, Daniel, Captain in the Third New Hampshire Regiment. From May 17 to December 7, 1779. Published in the New Hampshire Historical Collections, Vol. VI, pp. 308-335.

XVI.—Machin, Thomas, Captain in Col. John Lamb's Second Regiment (N.Y.) Artillery. From April 19 to 23, 1779, in Colonel Van Schaick's expedition against the Onondagas. Published in the Magazine of American History, November, 1879. Communicated by F.H. Roof.

XVII.—Nukerck, Charles, Lieutenant and Captain in Colonel Van Cortlandt's Second New York Regiment. From May 1, 1779, to December 11, 1780. Captain (afterward Colonel) Nukerck was born in Hurley, Ulster County, New York. In 1776 he was serving as Second Lieutenant in Colonel Ritzema's 3d New York Regiment, organized to garrison the forts southward of Crown Point. Under the call of September 16, 1776, he entered the Second New York Regimentto serve during the war, and continued with that regiment as Lieutenant and Captain until the consolidation of the five New York regiments into two in December, 1780,when he was assigned to the class of deranged officers, and continued in service to the close of the war. He afterward settled at Palatine Church, in the Mohawk Valley, where he died greatly respected in November, 1822.

This Journal has had a somewhat interesting history. A portion of it appeared in 1831 in Campbell's Annals of Tryon County, as "extracts from the manuscript Journal of an officer," but without giving the author's name. Extracts have also appeared from time to time in the writings of the late Thomas Maxwell of Elmira, as the Journal of Colonel Gansevoort. In Colonel Stone's Life of Brant, 1838, Introduction p. xxiii, he says "the author has likewise been favored with the manuscript diary of the venerable Captain Theodosius Fowler of this city, who was an active officer during the whole campaign. In addition to the valuable memoranda contained in this diary, Capt. Fowler has preserved a drawing of the Order of March * * * and a plan of thegreat battle fought at Newtown, both of which drawings have been engraved, and will be found in the Appendix." In the body of the work he incorporates the text as found in Campbell's Annals, including several interpolations from Seaver's Life of Mary Jemison, which appear in the Annalsas quoted, but in Colonel Stone's work aspart of the original Journal. At page 18, Vol. II. appears the "Order of March" and "Order of Battle," the latter having no reference whatever to the battle of Newtown, it being nothing more than the general order of battle prescribed at the beginning of the campaign. After the death of Colonel Stone, the original manuscript fell into the hands of that distinguished scholar, Dr. Lyman C. Draper, Secretary of Wisconsin Historical Society, who purchased it at the sale in a bound volume of manuscripts. In June, 1879, he placed it in my hands for examination and directed my attention to the fact, of its unquestionable identity with the many fragments ascribed to Captain Fowler and others. The Journal is substantially a history of the movements of the Second regiment from the date of the first entry to the time of the consolidation in 1780, when it closes. It contains abundant evidence to warrant the conclusion that it must have been written by an officer of that regiment. This appears effectually to dispose of the claims of the supposed authorship of Captain Fowler, as he was made Captain of the First New York June 21, 1778, and continued in service with that regiment until the consolidation 1780, when he was assigned to the new New York Second, and continued in that position to the close of the war. It is highly probable that Captain Fowler was on duty with his regiment, which remained to guard the Mohawk Valley during Sullivan's campaign, and consequently could not have participated in the westward march, and if the author of a Journal it certainly cannot be the one in question, which beyond any doubt was written by an officer actively engaged in the main expedition. A careful examination of the manuscript disclosed the fact that unmistakably it is the hand writing of Captain Nukerck, and presumably his Journal. On being advised of this fact Dr. Draper addressed a note to Mrs. Miller, of Englewood, N.J., a granddaughter of Captain Nukerck, who answered "that she remembered distinctly, that her father loaned to Mr. Campbell the Diary of her grandfather relating to Sullivan's Campaign, and that afterward it was loaned to an agent of Colonel Stone, who failed to return it." The manuscript is in an excellent state of preservation, every word from beginning to end being plain and distinct, especially the proper names. It contains several maps indicating the line of march and encampments, and at the end a single leaf is missing, probably the order of march and order of battle, mentioned by Colonel Stone.

This Journal has had a somewhat interesting history. A portion of it appeared in 1831 in Campbell's Annals of Tryon County, as "extracts from the manuscript Journal of an officer," but without giving the author's name. Extracts have also appeared from time to time in the writings of the late Thomas Maxwell of Elmira, as the Journal of Colonel Gansevoort. In Colonel Stone's Life of Brant, 1838, Introduction p. xxiii, he says "the author has likewise been favored with the manuscript diary of the venerable Captain Theodosius Fowler of this city, who was an active officer during the whole campaign. In addition to the valuable memoranda contained in this diary, Capt. Fowler has preserved a drawing of the Order of March * * * and a plan of thegreat battle fought at Newtown, both of which drawings have been engraved, and will be found in the Appendix." In the body of the work he incorporates the text as found in Campbell's Annals, including several interpolations from Seaver's Life of Mary Jemison, which appear in the Annalsas quoted, but in Colonel Stone's work aspart of the original Journal. At page 18, Vol. II. appears the "Order of March" and "Order of Battle," the latter having no reference whatever to the battle of Newtown, it being nothing more than the general order of battle prescribed at the beginning of the campaign. After the death of Colonel Stone, the original manuscript fell into the hands of that distinguished scholar, Dr. Lyman C. Draper, Secretary of Wisconsin Historical Society, who purchased it at the sale in a bound volume of manuscripts. In June, 1879, he placed it in my hands for examination and directed my attention to the fact, of its unquestionable identity with the many fragments ascribed to Captain Fowler and others. The Journal is substantially a history of the movements of the Second regiment from the date of the first entry to the time of the consolidation in 1780, when it closes. It contains abundant evidence to warrant the conclusion that it must have been written by an officer of that regiment. This appears effectually to dispose of the claims of the supposed authorship of Captain Fowler, as he was made Captain of the First New York June 21, 1778, and continued in service with that regiment until the consolidation 1780, when he was assigned to the new New York Second, and continued in that position to the close of the war. It is highly probable that Captain Fowler was on duty with his regiment, which remained to guard the Mohawk Valley during Sullivan's campaign, and consequently could not have participated in the westward march, and if the author of a Journal it certainly cannot be the one in question, which beyond any doubt was written by an officer actively engaged in the main expedition. A careful examination of the manuscript disclosed the fact that unmistakably it is the hand writing of Captain Nukerck, and presumably his Journal. On being advised of this fact Dr. Draper addressed a note to Mrs. Miller, of Englewood, N.J., a granddaughter of Captain Nukerck, who answered "that she remembered distinctly, that her father loaned to Mr. Campbell the Diary of her grandfather relating to Sullivan's Campaign, and that afterward it was loaned to an agent of Colonel Stone, who failed to return it." The manuscript is in an excellent state of preservation, every word from beginning to end being plain and distinct, especially the proper names. It contains several maps indicating the line of march and encampments, and at the end a single leaf is missing, probably the order of march and order of battle, mentioned by Colonel Stone.

XVIII.—Norris, James, Captain in the Third New Hampshire Regiment. From June 18 to October 25, 1779. Original manuscript in the Archives of the Buffalo Historical Society, N.Y. Published in July, 1879, Vol. I, No. 7, of the Publications of that Society, by Bigelow Brothers, Buffalo, N.Y.

XIX.—Rogers, William, D.D., Chaplain in Hand's Brigade. From June 15 to August 29, 1779. Published with notes and Biography, No. 7 of the Rhode Island Historical Tracts by Sidney S. Rider, Providence, R.I., 1879.

XX.—Rogers, William, Quartermaster Sergeant in Malcom's N.Y. Regiment in 1777, but in 1779 appears to have belonged to the Second New York. From April 5 to September 14, 1779, contains names of places, dates, and distances. The original manuscript in the hands of B.L. Rogers, Newark, N.J.

XXI.—Shute, Samuel Moore, Lieutenant in Second New Jersey Regiment. From May 29 to November 9, 1779. The original manuscript in possession of William Shute, of Doylestown, Pa.

XXII.—Van Hovenberg, Rudolph, Lieutenant in Colonel Du Bois' Fifth New York Regiment. From June 16, 1779, to November 24, 1780. He accompanied General Clinton down the Susquehanna. Has never been published.

XXIII.—Webb, Nathaniel, an officer in the Second New York Regiment. His son, Dr. Ezekiel Webb, had the original in September, 1855, at which time a part was published in the Elmira Daily Republican.

[The following Journals were once in existence, but diligent inquiry has failed to bring them to light:]

XXIV.—Dean, Judge James, the well known interpreter, and first Judge of Herkimer County, N.Y.

XXV.—Pierce, William, Captain in Colonel Harrison's Regiment of artillery, First A.D.C. to General Sullivan.

XXVI.—Hoops, Adam, Major, Third A.D.C. to General Sullivan. "The facts concerning Van Campen and Boyd are taken from a part of a copy ofmy journalwhich had been copied from that of Major William Pierce."—Letter Sept. 18, 1841, p. 180 Sullivan's Campaign.

XXVII.—Prince, Kimball, Sergeant Major in the Artillery. His diary was in possession of his son Frederick Prince as late as 1822, but was then stolen from a trunk during the ravages of the yellow fever in New York City.

XXVIII.—Newman—— Referred to in Miner's History of Wyoming. Supposed to have been destroyed by fire in the office of the Record of the Times at Wilkesbarre, Pa., April 9, 1869.

[The following narratives have been written by parties actively engaged in the campaign. Some are valuable, others are untrustworthy, and well calculated to mislead:]

XXIX.—Davis, Nathan.Private in the First New Hampshire Regiment. Published in the Historical Magazine, April, 1868, p. 198.

XXX.—Gano, Rev. John, Chaplain in Clinton's Brigade. Published in the Historical Magazine, November, 1861, p. 330.

XXXI.—Salmon, John.Published in Seaver's Life of Mary Jemison.

XXXII.—Van Campen, Moses.Appears in a memorial to Congress for a pension.

XXXIII.—Van Cortlandt, Philip, Colonel commanding Second New York Regiment. Autobiography writtenin 1825. Published in full in Magazine of American History, May, 1878.

XXXIV.—Maxwell, Major. Published in Vol. VII of the Historical Collections of the Essex Institute, p. 97.

XXXV.—Lodge, Capt. Benjaminwas in charge of a party that accompanied the army from Easton, and with compass and chain surveyed the entire route to the Genesee river. On the return march, commencing at Kanadaseaga, the party accompanied Colonel Butler and made a like survey along the east side of Cayuga Lake, connecting with the main line near present Horseheads. But one section of the map has been found, and that was among the papers of Captain Machin, an artillery officer. The original is now in the hands of J.R. Symms, Esq., of Fort Plain, N.Y. Several parties have photographic copies. This section extends north of Tioga Point and west as far as Kanadaseaga.

In addition to the preceding, is the correspondence and instructions of General Washington; General Sullivan's Official Reports; many valuable letters from General James Clinton; and undoubtedly many journals will be added to those already known, now that the attention of the public has been directed to the revolutionary period, and especially to the Campaign of 1779.

Typographical errors corrected in text:Page 20:  possessson replaced with possessionPage 30:  Tobehannah replaced with TobehannaPage 40:  arival replaced with arrivalPage 40:  Susquehannah replaced with SusquehannaPage 55:  Pensylvania replaced with PennsylvaniaPage 70:  decended replaced with descendedPage 71:  Sept. 22, 1679 replaced with Sept. 22, 1779Footnote   14:  Lurenkil replaced with LurenkillFootnote   27:  o'olock replaced with o'clockFootnote   40:  Weisenfels replaced with WeissenfelsFootnote   49:  Hardenberg replaced with HardenberghFootnote   50:  Susquehanua replaced with SusquehannaFootnote   69:  miies replaced with milesFootnote   69:  Atackted replaced with AttackedFootnote   82:  "on the west side or" replaced with "on the west side of"Footnote   90:  "the the place" replaced with "the place"Footnote   90:  impentrable replaced with impenetrableFootnote 111:  VanCortlandt replaced with Van Cortlandt

Typographical errors corrected in text:


Back to IndexNext