Chapter 20

LIMEHOUSE.

LIMEHOUSE.

LIMEHOUSE.

141.St. Anne’s Churchyard.—3 acres. Consecrated 1730, and since enlarged, but in 1800 a piece was cut of for Commercial Road, the bodies being removed south of the church. Laid out as a public garden by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1887, and now maintained by the London County Council. It is nearly kept, except the private passage to the mortuary.

142.St. Paul’s Churchyard, Shadwell.—¾ acre. Consecrated in 1671, but used before that as a pest-field for Stepney. Laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1886, and now maintained and kept in good order by the London County Council.

143.St. James’s Churchyard, Ratcliff.—Nearly 1 acre. Laid out as a public garden by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1891, and maintained by the vicar.

144.St. John’s Churchyard, Wapping.—600 square yards. Consecrated in 1617. This ground used to be very low and full of water. It is closed and fairly tidy, having many large altar tombs in it.

145.Additional ground opposite St. John’s Church.—Rather over ½ acre. This was one of the Stepney pest-fields. It is closed, but tidy. There are quantities of tombstones in this ground, many of which seem to be falling to pieces, and an unusual number of trees and flowering shrubs.

146.Friends Burial-ground, Brook Street. Ratcliff.—800 square yards. This is approached through the house on the south side of the meeting-house. It was acquired by the Society of Friends in 1666 or 1667, the land being originally copyhold, but enfranchised in 1734 for £21. It is neatly kept, and has four small upright stones.

147.Brunswick Wesleyan Chapel-ground, Three Colt Lane.—Approached by a passage at the back of the chapel. It is about 450 square yards in size, and is used as a private garden. There are vaults under the chapel and three tombstones. It is said that about 1,000 bodies were buried here, the last interment taking place in 1849.

MILE END OLD TOWN.

MILE END OLD TOWN.

MILE END OLD TOWN.

148.St. Dunstan’s Churchyard Stepney.—About 6 acres, or rather more. At the time of the Great Plague about 150 bodies were interred here daily, and several extra grounds were provided for the parish. It was laid out as a public garden in 1887 by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association. It is a most useful and shady ground, and is very neatly kept by the London County Council.

149.Stepney Meeting-House Burial-ground, White Horse Street (also called the Almshouse ground and Ratcliff Workhouse ground).—There are many tombstones and the ground is fairly tidy. The gate is generally open, as the entrance to the almshouses is through it. Size ½ acre.

150.Holy Trinity Churchyard, Tredegar Square.—¾ acre. Laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1887, and maintained by the London County Council. The gravestones have not been moved, and some of the graves are still occasionally used, though no new ones are dug.

151.Wycliffe Chapel Burial-ground, Philport Street, Stepney.—¾ acre. This dates From 1831, and is behind the chapel and the Scotch church. It is full of tombstones, closed and untidy. Chadwick divides it into a part belonging to the chapel and a larger part belonging to the Scotch church, but it appears to be all one now, and is in the hands of the elders of Wycliffe Chapel.

152.Globe Road Chapel Burial-ground, also called Mile End Cemetery.—The chapel is now Gordon Hall, and belongs to Dr. Stephenson of the Children’s Homes. The burial-ground is in private hands. The ground was very much overcrowded, and there were vaults under the chapel, the schools and the sexton’s house, but all the part south of the chapel was taken by the Great Eastern Railway Company. The existing piece is about 670 square yards in extent, is closed and most untidy, quantities of rubbish lying about amongst the tombstones.

153.East London Cemetery, Shandy Street, also called the Beaumont Burial-ground.—2¼ acres. This was much crowded. It was laid out as a playground by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1885, and is maintained by the London County Council.

154.Burial-ground of the Bancroft Almshouses, Mile End Road.—The People’s Palace is on the site of the almshouses, and part of the burial-ground has been merged into the roadway on the east side of the palace. St. Benet’s Church, Hall and Vicarage were built in this ground, the church being consecrated in 1872. Three pieces still exist, in all less than ½ acre; one is the vicarage garden, another is open to the road, and the northern point is closed and roofed over, forming a little yard where flag-staff’s, &c., are stored. The open part is also a store-yard, having heaps of stones in it, besides much rubbish. There are gravestones against the wall.

155.Stepney Pest-field.—Many acres to the south of the London Hospital were used for interments at the time of the plague, and the Brewers’ Garden and the space by St. Philip’s Church are, according to some authorities, part of the site originally called Stepney Mount. At the Home Office it is believed that there have been no burials in the ground round St. Philip’s, nor have there since it was St. Philip’s churchyard; but I think there were long before the first St. Philip’s Church or the Brewers’ Almshouses existed. The Brewers’ Garden is open to the public at a charge of 1d.

156.Jewish Burial-ground, 70, Bancroft Road.—About 1,650 square yards. This ground belongs to the Maiden Lane Synagogue, and is crowded with upright gravestones. The grass is neglected. Burials still take place. It is in a densely-populated district.

157.Jewish Burial-ground, Alderney Road.—1 acre. Formed in 1700, enlarged in 1733. Belongs to the United Synagogue. The tombstones are upright, and they are not so thick as in most of the Jewish grounds, while the grass is kept more neatly.

158.Jewish Burial-ground, Mile End Road.—This ground is nearly ¾ acre in extent, and is at the back of the Beth Holim Hospital. It belongs to the Spanish and Portuguese Jews, the tombstones are flat, there are several trees, and the ground is very neatly kept. Part of the graveyard (where it is said that there have been no interments) has some seats in it, and is used by the patients of the hospital as a garden.

159.Jewish Cemetery, Mile End Road.—4¾ acres. This belongs to the Spanish and Portuguese Jews, and is still in use. The gravestones are flat ones and low altar tombs, and the ground is neatly kept, although very bare.

POPLAR.

POPLAR.

POPLAR.

160.All Saints’ Churchyard.—Size, with that part which was used for the burial of cholera victims, on the other side of the road, 4 acres. The northern part of the churchyard was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1893, the rector having undertaken to maintain it for a few years. It is much appreciated and well kept.

161.St. Matthias’s Churchyard.—(This church was the chapel of the East India Dock Company, and is sometimes called Poplar Chapel.) 1¼ acres. It is in the middle of the Poplar Recreation Ground, closed and fairly tidy. There are many tombstones.

162.St. Mary’s Churchyard, Bow.—2,716 square yards. This is in two portions, the eastern one is closed, but the western one has been laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association and provided with seats, the rector maintaining it.

163.St. Mary’s Churchyard, Bromley-by-Bow, or Bromley St. Leonard.—This churchyard is 1¼ acres in size and is closed, but very neatly kept up by the parish, and has some tombstones of artistic value in it. Its opening as a public garden is under consideration.

164.Baptist Chapel-ground, Bow.—⅓ acre. Part of this ground is railed off as a private garden, the rest is used as a thoroughfare by the school-children. There are several tombstones, some of which have been put against the walls.

165.Trinity Congregational Chapel-ground, East India Dock Road.—⅓ acre. This was laid out in 1888 as a public garden, the minister of the chapel maintaining it. On his removal from the district it was closed and has not been re-opened.

166.Roman Catholic ground, Wade’s Place.—1,300 square yards. This belonged to St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Finsbury Circus, Moorfields, and was chiefly used for the poor Irish. It was a very damp, unwholesome ground. It is now used as a playground for the adjoining Roman Catholic school.

167.City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery(partly in Mile End).—33 acres. First used in 1841. By 1889, 247,000 bodies had been interred here, many being buried in common graves. It is still in use and open daily, a regular ocean of tombstones, many of which are lying about, apparently uncared for and unclaimed; in fact, most of the graves, except those at the edges of the walks, look utterly neglected, and parts of the ground are very untidy. It is situated in a densely-populated district.

WANDSWORTH.

WANDSWORTH.

WANDSWORTH.

168.All Saints’ Churchyard, High Street.—¼ acre. This is closed, and is much more tidy at the eastern end than the western end.

169.East Hill Burial-ground, Wandsworth Road.—½ acre. This was consecrated in 1680, and many French Huguenots were buried in it. It is closed and fairly tidy.

170.Garratt Lane Cemetery, South Street, Wandsworth.—1¾ acres. This was consecrated in 1808. It is closed to the public, and closed for interments with the exception of widows, widowers, and parents of deceased persons already interred there. It is maintained by the Wandsworth Burial Board.

171.Friends Burial-ground, High Street, Wandsworth.—400 square yards. This is attached to the meeting-house, is closed and very neatly kept. There are a few upright tombstones.

172.Baptist Burial-ground, North Street, Wandsworth.—An untidy little closed yard with no tombstones in it and neglected grass. The chapel now belongs to the Salvation Army. I doubt if it was much used for burials, but, at any rate, there was one interment in 1854. It is about the same size as the Friends’ ground.

173.Independent Burial-ground, Wandsworth.—This is now a small tar-paved yard adjoining Memorial Hall, which was built on the site of an old chapel or school-house. There are a few trees.

174.St. Mary’s Churchyard, Putney.—½ acre. Closed and neatly kept.

175.Putney Burial-ground, Upper Richmond Road.—1 acre. This was a gift to the parish from the Rev. R. Pettiwand, and consecrated in 1763. It was laid out in 1886, but the tombstones were not moved, and many of them are dilapidated brick altar tombs. It is maintained for the public by the Putney Burial Board.

176.St. Nicholas Churchyard, Lower Tooting.—2 acres. This is still in use. It is open daily and kept in good order.

177.Lower Tooting Chapel-ground.—231 square yards behind the chapel (Congregational in High Street) and about 30 square yards in front. Some tombstones. Chapel dates from 1688, and was founded by Daniel Defoe.

178.St. Leonard’s Churchyard, Streatham.—1¼ acres. The present church dates from 1831, but the churchyard is at least 100 years older. It is closed for burials and well planted with flowers, grass, and trees. The gates are sometimes open.

179.St. Paul’s Churchyard, Clapham, in the Wandsworth Road.—1½ acres. This is closed, and very full of tombstones. It is maintained by the Clapham Burial Board, but it is in a rather jungly condition.

180.Union Chapel-ground, Streatham Hill.—About 500 square yards. This is a neat little garden between the chapel and the schools, both of which have been rebuilt, the schools in 1878. There is a row of tombstones against the walls. It is generally closed.

181.Wandsworth Cemetery.—12 acres. First used in 1878. Open daily.

182.Lambeth Cemetery, Tooting Graveney.—41 acres. First used in 1854. Open daily.

183.Putney Cemetery.—3 acres. First used in 1855. This is an encroachment on a common.

BATTERSEA.

BATTERSEA.

BATTERSEA.

184.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—¾ acre. Closed. The laying out of this ground is under consideration.

185.St. George’s Churchyard, Battersea Park Road.—¾ acre. This is closed, and in a very neglected condition. There are not many gravestones.

186.Battersea Cemetery, Bolingbroke Grove.—8½ acres. First used in 1860. Open daily.

LAMBETH.

LAMBETH.

LAMBETH.

187.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—½ acre. A very old ground, enlarged in 1623 and 1820. It is very neatly laid out and the gates are left open, though there are no seats in it.

188.Additional ground in High Street(also called Paradise Row burial-ground).—1½ acres. Given to the parish by Archbishop Tenison, and consecrated in 1705. It was laid out in 1884 by the Lambeth Vestry, who maintain it efficiently.

189.St. John’s Churchyard, Waterloo Bridge Road.—An acre in size. This was laid out as a garden and playground in 1877, and is well kept up by the Lambeth Vestry.

190.St. Mark’s Churchyard, Kennington.—1¾ acres. This is closed and full of tombstones, but neatly kept.

191.Regent Street Baptist Chapel-ground, Kennington Road.—A little ground at the back of the chapel, with a few tombstones and one great vault in it.

192.Esher Street Congregational Chapel-ground, Upper Kennington Lane.—About 480 square yards, closed, and very untidy.

193.St. Matthew’s Churchyard, Brixton.—2 acres. This dates from 1824. It is closed, but neatly kept.

194.Denmark Row Chapel-ground, Coldharbour Lane.—This has been partly built upon, and there is now only a small yard behind the chapel.

195.Stockwell Green Congregational Chapel-ground.—¼ acre, or rather more. This is behind the chapel, and is a particularly neglected and untidy graveyard.

196.St. Luke’s Churchyard, Norwood.—1 acre. This dates from 1825. It is tidily kept, except the part near the station. The gate is generally open. The gravestones are in situ.

197.Congregational Chapel-ground, Chapel Road, Lower Norwood.—About ⅓ acre behind the chapel. It is closed, and has grass and a few tombstones in it.

198.Norwood Cemetery, 40 acres.—First used in 1838. Open daily, and fairly well kept. It is crowded with tombstones, and it includes a Greek cemetery and a burial-ground belonging to the parish of St. Mary at Hill, each about 550 square yards in size.

CAMBERWELL.

CAMBERWELL.

CAMBERWELL.

199.St. Giles’s Churchyard.—3¼ acres. Enlarged in 1717, 1803, and 1825. Closed, full of tombstones, and not well kept.

200.St. George’s Churchyard, Well Street, Camberwell.—The church was consecrated in 1824, the ground being given by Mr. John Rolls. The churchyard measures about an acre, and was laid out in 1886 by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association. It is maintained by the vestry. A mortuary has been built on it.

201.Dulwich Burial-ground, Court Lane, the graveyard of God’s Gift College.—Size, 1½ roods. This ground dates from about 1700. It is closed and very neatly kept. There are several large altar tombs in it, and it is a most rural and picturesque spot.

202.Wesleyan Chapel-ground.Stafford Street, Peckham.—336 square yards. The chapel in now a school, the burial-ground being the playground, a paved yard.

203.Friends Burial-ground, Peckham Rye.—About 470 square yards. This ground was purchased in 1821, it is behind the meeting-house in Hanover Street, has some small flat gravestones in it, and is closed. It is most beautifully kept with neatly mown grass and a border of flowers.

204.Camberwell Cemetery, Forest Hill Road.—29½ acres. First used in 1856. Open daily.

205.Nunhead Cemetery(All Saints’).—50 acres. First used in 1840. Open daily.

NEWINGTON.

NEWINGTON.

NEWINGTON.

206.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—1¼ acres. This was enlarged in 1757 and 1834, and is now maintained as a public garden by the burial board, the freehold being vested in the rector. It is well laid out.

207.St. Peter’s Churchyard, Walworth.—1¼ acres. This is also maintained as a public garden by the Newington Burial Board, having been laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association, at the sole cost of the Goldsmiths’ Company, and opened in May, 1895.

208.Sutherland Congregational Chapel-ground, Walworth.—This is close to St. Peter’s, about 300 square yards in size, and closed. It has been somewhat encroached on by the school, which was enlarged in 1889. A few tombstones exist in the passage on the north side of the chapel and in the ground at the back. It is fairly tidy.

209.York Street Chapel-ground, Walworth.—About 700 square yards at the rear of the chapel and not visible from the street. It is closed and full of tombstones, but is to be laid out.

210.East Street Baptist Chapel-ground, Walworth.—About 400 square yards, with one tombstone in it. It is closed and very untidy.

211.St. John’s Episcopal Chapel-ground, Walworth.—In 1843 it was estimated at 6,400 square yards. The chapel is in Penrose Street, and is now the workshop of a scenic artist, the front wall having been heightened for the purpose of advertising theSouth London Press. The burial-ground is approached from Occupation Road, Manor Place, the railway line going across it on arches, and it is now the vestry depôt for carts, manure, gravel, &c. An adjoining plot is the site for the baths and washhouses. This ground is in danger of being encroached upon, and new bays for dust and other erections of the sort are often built in it.

212.New Bunhill Fields, Deverell Street, New Kent Road (also called Hoole and Martin’s).—¾ acre. This was a private speculation, and was most indecently crowded. Between 1820 and 1838 10,000 bodies were buried here, the vault under the chapel containing 1,800 coffins. The ground was closed in 1853, and it then became a timber-yard. The chapel now belongs to the Salvation Army, but the burial-ground is still “Deverell’s timber-yard,” and is covered with high stacks of timber. There are many sheds in it, and iron bars, &c.

ST. GEORGE THE MARTYR.

ST. GEORGE THE MARTYR.

ST. GEORGE THE MARTYR.

213.St. George’s Churchyard, Borough.—This is about an acre in size, and is maintained as a public garden by the rector and churchwardens, having been laid out in 1882. It is much used.

214.St. George’s Recreation ground, Tabard Street (the Lock burial-ground).—Rather over ¼ acre. This was originally the burial-ground of the Lock Hospital, which was pulled down in 1809, a portion of the site of the hospital and ground having been before then consecrated as a parish burial-ground. It was chiefly used for pauper burials, and was crowded with bodies. It is now a neat public garden, laid out by the vestry in 1887, and in the possession of the rector and churchwardens of St. George’s.

215.Chapel Graveyard, Collier’s Rents, Long Lane.—This is about 620 square yards in extent, and is on the north side of an old Baptist chapel, which now belongs to the Congregational Union. The ground dates from before 1719, and is closed. There are a few tombstones and grass, but it is not very well kept.

ST. SAVIOR’S, SOUTHWARK.

ST. SAVIOR’S, SOUTHWARK.

ST. SAVIOR’S, SOUTHWARK.

216.St. Saviour’s Churchyard.—This ancient ground has been often enlarged and curtailed, and at times was used as a marketplace. What now exists is about ½ acre on the south side of the church, which is at present under restoration.

217.Additional ground for St. Saviour’s, called the College Yard or St. Saviour’s Almshouse Burial-ground, Park Street.—This existed before 1732. Size, ¼ acre. The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway goes over it on arches, and it is now the store-yard of Messrs. Stone and Humphries, builders. Most of it is roofed in, but it is not actually covered with buildings.

218.Additional ground for St. Saviour’s, called the Cross Bones, Redcross Street.—This was made, at least 250 years ago, “far from the parish church,” for the interment of the low women who frequented the neighbourhood. It was subsequently used as the pauper ground, and was crowded to excess. Nevertheless two schools were built in it. The remaining piece is about 1,000 square yards. It has frequently been offered for sale as a building site, and has formed the subject for much litigation. It is made a partial use of by being let for fairs, swings, &c. It was sold as a building site in 1883, but, not having been used by 1884, the sale was declared (under the Disused Burial-grounds Act) null and void.

219.Christ Church Churchyard, Blackfriars Bridge Road.—1½ acres. This dates from about 1737, and has been enlarged. An infant school was built in it. It is closed, and not laid out.

220.Deadman’s Place Burial-ground.Deadman’s Place is now called Park Street.—This ground was originally used for the interment of large numbers of victims to the plague. Then it became the graveyard of an adjoining Independent chapel, and was extensively used for the interment of ministers, being a sort of Bunhill Fields for South London. Now it is merely one of the yards over which trucks run on rails, in the middle of the large brewery belonging to Messrs. Barclay and Perkins, about ½ acre in extent. It existed as a burial-ground in 1839, but not, I believe, in 1843.

221.Baptist Burial-ground, Bandy Leg Walk (subsequently called Guildford Street).—There was such a ground in 1729. In 1807 there existed the St. Saviour’s Workhouse, with a burial-ground on the east side of it which, from its position, may have coincided with the Baptists’ ground, and what is now left of the burial-ground is a garden or courtyard, about 1,000 square yards in size, between the new buildings of the Central Fire Brigade Station, Southwark Bridge Road, and the old house behind them. It is entered through the large archway.

ST. OLAVE’S.

ST. OLAVE’S.

ST. OLAVE’S.

222.St. Olave’s Churchyard, Tooley Street.—A stone-paved yard, 634 square yards in extent, between the church and the river. Closed.

223.Additional ground to St. Olave’s and to St. John’s, Horselydown, near St. John’s Church.—About ½ acre, with a few tombstones in it. This was laid out in 1888, being chiefly asphalted, and is maintained as a recreation ground by the Board of Works For the St. Olave’s District. It is well used and neatly kept.

224.St. John’s Churchyard, Horselydown.—Nearly 2 acres. Laid out as a public garden in 1882, and maintained by the St. Olave’s Board.

225.St. Thomas’s Churchyard.—This does not adjoin the church, but is behind the houses opposite. Size about 787 square yards. It belongs to St. Thomas’s Hospital, and is used as a private garden by a house in St. Thomas’ Street.

226.St. Thomas’s Hospital Burial-ground, St. Thomas’ Street.—Part of this has been covered by St. Olave’s Rectory and Messrs. Bevington’s leather warehouse. The remaining piece measures about 1,770 square yards, and is an asphalted tennis-court and garden for the students of Guy’s Hospital, the building in it being the treasurer’s stables. It belongs to St. Thomas’s Hospital, and is leased to Guy’s.

227.Butler’s Burial-ground, Horselydown.—This was made about 1822, the entrance being in Coxon’s (late Butler’s) Place, and was 1,440 square yards in size. It is now Zurhoorst’s cooperage and is full of barrels. A small piece, which I believe was a part of the burial-ground, is a yard belonging to a builder named Field. There were vaults running under four dwelling-houses. These still exist, and are under the houses next to the entrance to Mr. Field’s yard.

BERMONDSEY.

BERMONDSEY.

BERMONDSEY.

228.St. Mary Magdalene’s Churchyard.—Rather over 1½ acres. This was enlarged in 1783 and 1810, and contains the remains of an ancient cemetery belonging to Bermondsey Abbey. It is maintained as a public garden by the vestry, the rector reserving certain rights. It is well laid out, and forms a most useful and attractive garden.

229.St. James’s Churchyard, Bermondsey, Jamaica Road.—1¾ acres. It was extensively used for a drying-ground for clean clothes when the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association secured it in 1886, and laid it out as a garden. It is maintained by the vestry.

230.Roman Catholic Ground, Parker’s Row.—The land was given for the purpose in 1833 or 1834. The ground between the church and the road measures about 300 square yards, and was very much overcrowded. It is closed and untidy, with no tombstones. Burials also took place in the garden, which is used as a recreation ground for the schools, and is neatly kept.

231.Southwark Chapel Graveyard(Wesleyan), Long Lane.—900 square yards. This is on the west side of the chapel, which dates from 1808. It is closed, and contains a few gravestones and a hen-coop.

232.Guy’s Hospital Burial-ground, Nelson Street.—This is nearly 200 years old, and is rather over ½ acre. Since being closed for burials it has been let as a builder’s yard. The Bermondsey Vestry is now negotiating for its purchase as a recreation ground.

233.Friends Burial-ground, Long Lane.—¼ acre. This was bought in 1697 for £120. It was closed in 1844, but in 1860 a large number of coffins, &c., were brought there and interred when Southwark Street was made and the Worcester Street burial-ground annihilated. It is being laid out for the public, and will be maintained by the Bermondsey Vestry, who have it on lease from the Society of Friends. There are no gravestones in it.

234.Ebenezer Burial-ground, Long Lane.—This adjoins the above ground, and it is hoped that it may eventually be added to the garden. It was formed about 100 years ago. It originally belonged to the Independent Chapel in Beck Street, Horselydown, and subsequently to the trustees of Ebenezer Baptist Chapel. There is a “minister’s vault” in the centre. It is closed and untidy, 220 square yards in extent.

ROTHERHITHE.

ROTHERHITHE.

ROTHERHITHE.

235.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—¾ acre. This is closed, except on Sundays. It is full of tombstones and kept in good order.

236.Additional ground in Church Street.—1¼ acres. This is also only open on Sundays, and is fairly tidy.

237.Christ Church Churchyard, Union Road.—700 square yards. This is closed, and there are no tombstones on the north side of the church. The south side is rather untidy, except round the grave of General Sir William Gomm, who gave the ground for the church (being Lord of the Manor), where there is a patch of good grass and flowers.

238.All Saints’ Churchyard, Deptford Lower Road.—Nearly 1 acre. This land was given by Sir William Gomm in 1840, and was used for 17 years. It is closed, and wooden palings separate it from the ground in front of the church. It is not well kept.

239.Holy Trinity Churchyard, near Commercial Docks Pier.—About 1 acre. Consecrated in 1838. This ground was also only used for 20 years; a part of it is railed of for the vicarage garden, where probably no interments took place. It was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1885, and taken over by the London County Council in 1896. It is a very attractive, shady garden.

GREENWICH.

GREENWICH.

GREENWICH.

240.St. Alphege Churchyard.—Enlarged in 1716, 1774, and 1808. Size 2,740 square yards. This was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association in 1889, and is maintained by the Greenwich District Board of Works. There are no seats in it.

241.Additional ground, separated from the above by a public footpath.—This is 2½ acres, and was consecrated in 1833. It was laid out in 1889 by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association, and is maintained by the Greenwich District Board of Works. There are plenty of seats in it, and it is well used and neatly kept.

242.St. Nicholas Churchyard, Deptford.—¾ acre. This is closed and full of tombstones, but fairly tidy.

243.Additional ground, Wellington Street.—¾ acre. This ground, belonging to the parish of St. Nicholas, was laid out in 1884 by the Kyrle Society, and is very well kept up by the Greenwich District Board of Works, who have lately acquired a piece of adjoining land to be added to the recreation ground.

244.St. Paul’s Churchyard, Deptford.—2½ acres. This is vested in the rector, and maintained by the Deptford Burial Board. The gravestones are not moved, but there are a few seats in the ground, which is open to the public.

245.Baptist (Unitarian) Chapel Burial-ground, Church Street.—This touches the above, and is about ¼ acre. It is closed, the railings and gravestones are broken, and there is a quantity of rubbish lying about.

246.Friends Burial-ground, High Street, Deptford.—About 360 square yards. This is behind the meeting-house and closed. It is neatly kept and only contains one gravestone.

247.Congregational Chapel Burial-ground, High Street, Deptford.—About 400 square yards. This is closed, but neatly laid out, and there are gravestones against the walls.

248.Congregational Chapel-ground, Greenwich Road.—¼ acre, or rather less. This dates from 1800. The gate is often open, and the gravestones are flat or against the walls, but it is a bare, uninteresting-looking ground.

249.Congregational Chapel-ground, Maze Hill, Greenwich.—A rather neglected-looking ground in Park Place, with several flat tombstones, about 500 square yards in size.

250.Greenwich Hospital Burial-ground.—This adjoins the Royal Naval Schools, and measures about 4 acres. An inner enclosure is full of tombstones, but the outer part has only some monuments in it. It is very well kept, with splendid trees and good grass, and the gate from the school playground is generally open.

251.Greenwich Hospital Cemetery.––In Westcombe. This is nearly 6 acres in size, and was first used in 1857.

LEWISHAM.

LEWISHAM.

LEWISHAM.

252.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—2 acres. Laid out as a public garden in 1886, and maintained by the Lewisham District Board of Works.

253.St. Bartholomew’s Churchyard, Sydenham.—¾ acre. Closed for interments. This is beautifully kept and is a very pretty ground. The gates are generally open, but there are no seats.

254.Deptford Cemetery.—17 acres. First used in 1858. By 1889, 50,000 bodies had been interred there.

255.Lewisham Cemetery.––15½ acres, of which 4 are reserved and let as a market-garden. First used 1858.

256.Lee Cemetery.—In Hither Green. 10 acres, of which 4 are in reserve. First used 1873. These are open daily.

PLUMSTEAD.

PLUMSTEAD.

PLUMSTEAD.

257.St. Nicholas’s Churchyard.—Still in use for burials, but under regulation. It is open daily, and measures about 4 acres.

258.Woolwich Cemetery, Wickham Lane. (Partly outside the boundary of Plumstead.)—32 acres. First used in 1856. Open daily.

259.Plumstead Cemetery, Wickham Lane.—32¼ acres. First used 1890. Open daily.

LEE.

LEE.

LEE.

260.St. John the Baptist Churchyard, Lee, Eltham.—3 acres. This is also in use, but under regulation, and is open daily.

261.St. Margaret’s Churchyard, Lee.—Still in use, open daily, and very neatly kept. It is about 1½ acres in size.

262.The Old Churchyard, Lee.—This is opposite St. Margaret’s, and contains the ruins of the old church. It is full of tombstones and neatly kept. It is generally open, but has no seats in it.

263.St. Luke’s Churchyard, Charlton.—½ acre. This is full of tombstones and closed, but very neatly kept. Burials occasionally take place in existing vaults, but in each case permission has to be obtained from the Home Secretary.

264.St. Thomas’s Churchyard, Charlton.—On the borders of Woolwich. Nearly an acre. This churchyard was in use for burials in 1854 when it was put under regulation.

265.Morden College Cemetery, Blackheath.—¼ acre. Closed. Neatly kept. Contains about 80 tombstones. The college was founded about 1695.

266.Charlton Cemetery.—8 acres. First used in 1855. Open daily.

267.Greenwich Cemetery.—15 acres. Open daily.

WOOLWICH.

WOOLWICH.

WOOLWICH.

268.St. Mary’s Churchyard.—Over 3 acres. In a fine situation overlooking the river. Laid out as a public garden by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association, at the cost of Mr. Passmore Edwards, and opened in May, 1895. It is maintained by the Woolwich Local Board.

269.Enon Chapel-yard, High Street.—112 square yards. A tar-paved and closed yard, with some tombstones against the walls.

270.Union Chapel Graveyard, Sun Street.—⅓ acre. This is closed. There is a very bad fence round it, and it looks uncared for. Negotiations are on foot to secure it for the public.

271.Salem Chapel-yard, Powis Street.—300 square yards. Eighteen or twenty years ago the London School Board took the chapel and adapted it as a school. It is now the infant school, other buildings having been added, and the graveyard is a tar-paved passage used as a playground.

272.Wesleyan Chapel-yard, William Street.—¼ acre. Here a school building has evidently encroached upon the burial-ground. There are several gravestones, and it is fairly tidy, the gate being often open.

273.Roman Catholic Ground, New Road.—This also has probably been encroached upon. What now exists is a yard, ¼ acre in size, between the school and the Roman Catholic church, with three graves in one enclosure in the middle. The gate is open during school hours.

THE CITY.

THE CITY.

THE CITY.

I. Burial-grounds which are laid out as public recreation grounds—

274.St. Paul’s Cathedral Churchyard.—Used as a burial-place since Roman times. It includes the Pardon Churchyard, the burial-grounds for the parishes of St. Faith and St. Gregory, and a piece allotted to St. Martin, Ludgate. Size, 1½ acres. Maintained by the Corporation. Laid out in 1878-1879.

275.St. Botolph’s Churchyard, Aldersgate Street.

276.Additional ground for Christ Church, Newgate Street.

277.Additional ground for St. Leonard’s, Foster Lane.—These three form together one public garden, rather more than ½ acre in extent. Very neatly kept up with parochial funds.

278.St. Olave’s Churchyard, Silver Street.—Site of the burned church.

279.Allhallows’ Churchyard, London Wall.

280.St. Katharine Coleman Churchyard, Fenchurch Street.

281.St. Botolph’s Churchyard, Aldgate.—¼ acre.—Four grounds laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association.

281.St. Botolph’s Churchyard, Bishopsgate. Size nearly ½ acre.

283.St. Botolph’s, Billingsgate, upper burial-ground, Botolph lane.

284.St. Mary Aldermanbury Churchyard.

285.St. Sepulchre’s Churchyard, Holborn.

286.St. Bride’s Churchyard, Fleet Street.—Five small grounds laid out with the assistance of the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association. No. 282 was laid out by the Association, but the entire cost was borne by the parish.

287.Additional ground for St. Dunstan’s in the West, in Fetter Lane. Asphalted and used as a playground for the Greystoke Place Board School. Some tombstones remain in an enclosure at the edge. 4,750 square feet in area.

II. Burial-grounds that are not laid out as open spaces for the public use, although most of them are neatly kept, while a few are used as store-yards, &c., and others are open at times—

288.The Temple Churchyard.—Partly public thoroughfare, partly closed.

The churchyards of—

289.St. Andrew, Holborn.

290.Christ Church, Newgate Street.—On the site of the western end of the church of the Greyfriars.

291.St. Ann, Blackfriars.—Two grounds. The western one is the site of the burned church.

292.St. Andrew by the Wardrobe, Queen Victoria Street. Very little left.

293.St. Bartholomew the Great.—On the site of the ancient nave, theGreen-groundon the site of the south transept, and a remnant of thePoor groundon the north side.

294.St. Dionys Backchurch, Lime Street.

295.St. Bartholomew the Less.—In the hospital. At one time it extended further south.

296.St. Giles, Cripplegate, with theGreen-ground, an extension to the south. Often Open. Neatly kept.

297.St. Alphege, London Wall.—The churchyard does not adjoin the church. It contains a portion of the old wall.

298.St. Ann and St. Agnes, Gresham Street.

299.St. John Zachary, Gresham Street.—Site of burned church.

300.St. Mary Staining, Oat Lane.—Site of burned church.

301.St. Alban’s, Wood Street.

302.St. Peter Cheap, Wand Street.—Site of burned church.

303.St. Vedast, Foster Lane.

304.St. Mildred, Bread Street.—Yard full at ladders.

305.St. Mary Somerset, Thames Street.—Store-yard for old iron, behind the tower. Most of this ground has gone.

306.St. Peter, Paul’s Wharf.—Site of burned church.

307.St. Martin Vintry, Queen Street.—No church.

308.St. Thomas the Apostle, Queen Street.—Little left except a large vault.

309.St. Mary Aldermary, Watling Street.

310.St. Antholin, Watling Street.—Very little left except one great vault.

311.St. Pancras, Pancras Lane.—Site of burned church.

312.St. Benet Sherehog, Pancras Lane.—Site of burned church.

313.St. Martin Pomeroy(St. Olave, Jewry), Ironmonger Lane.—The site of St. Martin’s Church, used as St. Olave’s Churchyard, when that became a private garden.

314.St. Stephen, Coleman Street.

315.St. Mildred, Poultry.—Given by Thomas Morsted 1420. Almost lost in 1594. Abridged before 1633, and enlarged 1693.

316.St. Matthew, Friday Street.

317.St. John, Watling Street.—Site of burned church.

318.St. Michael, Queenhithe.—Private garden for St. James’s Rectory.

319.St. Martin, Ludgate.—Stationers’ Hall Court. The vaults are under the ground.

320.St. Christopher le Stocks.—Garden of the Bank of England since 1780.

321.St. Michael, Cornhill.—Some shops were built in this ground in 1690.

322.St. Peter, Cornhill.

323.St. Stephen, Walbrook.—Encroached upon in 1693.

324.St. Margaret, Lothbury.—Improved and planted at the expense of Dr. Edwin Freshfield, F.S.A.

325.St. Martin Outwich, Camomile Street.—The burial-ground of the priory of St. Augustine Papey. Given by Robert Hyde 1538.

326.St. Michael Paternoster Royal, College Hill.

327.St. James, Garlickhithe.

328.St. Nicholas Cole Abbey, Queen Victoria Street.—Very little left.

329.St. Swithin, Cannon Street.—Additional ground. One adjoining the church has gone.

330.Allhallows the Great, Upper Thames Street.

331.Allhallows the Less, Upper Thames Street.—Site of burned church.

332.St. Lawrence Pountney, Cannon Street.—Two grounds. One is the site of the burned church.

333.St. Martin Orgar, Cannon Street.—Site of burned church.

334.St. George, Botolph Lane.

335.St. Mary at Hill, Eastcheap.—Saved by the City Church and Churchyard Protection Society 1879.

336.St. Andrew Undershaft, Leadenhall Street.

337.St. Catherine Cree, Leadenhall Street.—A part of the cemetery of Holy Trinity Priory, Aldgate.

338.St. Helen, Bishopsgate.—This is very often open, but not provided with seats.

339.St. Ethelburga, Bishopsgate.

340.St. Clement, Eastcheap.

341.St. Leonard, Fish Street Hill.—Site of burned church.

342.St. Magnus the Martyr, London Bridge.

343.St. Mary Woolnoth, Lombard Street.—In danger at the present time.

344.St. Nicholas Acons, Lombard Street.

345.St. Edmund King and Martyr, Lombard Street. The property of the Salters’ Company. Laid out as a garden with seats.

346.Allhallows, Lombard Street.—Closed in the cholera year, 1849.

347.St. Gabriel, Fenchurch Street.—The gift of Helming Legget.

348.Allhallows, Staining, Mark Lane.—Church destroyed in 1870 except the tower. The property of the Clothworkers’ Company.

349.St. Olave’s, Hart Street.

350.Allhallows, Barking, Town Hill.

351.St. Dunstan’s in the East, Lower Thames Street.—Its opening is under consideration.

352.The Burial-ground of Christ’s Hospital.—This has been almost covered with buildings, but a small piece remains as a yard near the great hall.

353.The Burial-ground of the Greyfriars.—This is a courtyard, surrounded by the cloisters, in Christ’s Hospital, used as a playground by the boys.

354.St. James’s Churchyard, Duke Street.—This is used as a playground for the Aldgate Ward Schools.

355.Additional ground for St. Bride’s, Fleet Street.—This is off Farringdon Street, is about 750 square yards in extent, and used as a volunteer drill-ground. There are no tombstones, and the ground is untidy. Consecrated 1610. Given by the Earl of Dorset.

356.St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church ground, Finsbury Square.—Very little left.

357.Bridewell Burial-ground.—This is about 900 square yards in size, and is at the corner of Tudor and Dorset Streets. It was the burial-ground of the hospital, which has been removed. It is now a very untidy yard, boarded up with a rough advertisement hoarding, in the occupation of H. S. Foster, builder, 7, Tudor Street. It would make a good public playground.

III. Burial-grounds which have been paved and added to the public footway, but are still traceable. The churchyards of—

358.St. Mary, Abchurch Lane.—This was thrown into the pavement about 160 years ago, with posts round it.

359.St. Margaret Pattens, Rood Lane.

360.St. Lawrence Jewry, by the Guildhall.

361.St. Michael Bassishaw, Basinghall Street.—Two good trees.

362.St. Benet Fink, Threadneedle Street.—Railed in, with Peabody’s statue in it.

363.The Cloisters of the Augustine Friars.—Lately discovered on the north side of the Dutch Church, Austin Friars Square forming part of the site.

IV. Burial-ground still in use—

364.Newgate Burial-ground.—A passage in the prison, used for the interment of those who are executed; 10 feet wide and 85 feet long.


Back to IndexNext