KENILWORTH CASTLE

Shakespeare’s Country

Shakespeare’s Country

Monograph Number Two in The Mentor Reading Course

It was in 1575 at Kenilworth Castle that the Earl of Leicester, then a suitor for the hand of Queen Elizabeth, entertained her and the court at “excessive cost” as described in “Kenilworth,” by Sir Walter Scott.

Everyone who has read the book knows that the Earl of Leicester had secretly married Amy Robsart, the daughter of a country gentleman, and at the same time was attempting to gain the favor of Elizabeth. When a disclosure of the truth was about to precipitate the ruin of Leicester, he prepared a magnificent pageant at his castle for the Queen; in the meanwhile his follower, Varney, was to pass himself off as Amy’s husband.

At Kenilworth Castle, on the Queen’s first entry, “a small floating island illuminated by a great variety of torches … made its appearance upon the lake,” upon which, clad in silks, were the Lady of the Lake and two nymphs waiting on her. During the several days of the Queen’s stay “rare shews and sports were exercised.”

The town of Kenilworth has a population of only about 5,000. The magnificent old castle is now in ruins. It was originally founded about 1120. In the 13th century it passed into the hands of Simon de Montfort. Some years later it came to John of Gaunt. Later the castle became royal property, and in 1562 Queen Elizabeth presented it to the Earl of Leicester. He spent enormous sums of money in enlarging and improving the building. At his death, however, it passed back into the possession of the Crown. When Cromwell became Ruler of England he gave the castle to some of his officers, who demolished the stately pile for the sake of its materials. After the Restoration it passed into the hands of the Earl of Clarendon, who still retains it. One of the principal parts of the building remaining is Leicester’s gatehouse, now occupied as a private dwelling. Then there is also the Norman Keep of Cæsar’s Tower. This has massive walls fifteen or sixteen feet thick. Merwyn’s Tower, built by John of Gaunt about 1392, may also be seen: the “small octangular chamber” on its second floor is the one assigned by Walter Scott to Amy Robsart.

PREPARED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OF THE MENTOR ASSOCIATIONILLUSTRATION FOR THE MENTOR, VOL. 4, No. 8, SERIAL No. 108COPYRIGHT, 1916, BY THE MENTOR ASSOCIATION, INC.

CHARLECOTE, STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

CHARLECOTE, STRATFORD-UPON-AVON


Back to IndexNext