OREGON ALPINE CLUB.

PRESIDENTS OF THE OREGON ALPINE CLUB.

The Oregon Alpine Club was organized in 1887, and incorporated October 7th of that year. It was originally intended merely as an organization among half a dozen friends who were in the habit of seeking adventure and recreation in the mountains.

After considering the matter for a time a meeting, was called, and more persons attended than were expected. A committee was appointed on rules, the adoption of which required several meetings, so that when the organization was completed there were over seventy charter members on the roll.

The institution grew and its objects increased until a Scientific Staff was formed and a public museum became an important object. Hon. H. W. Corbett was elected President, and served until October, 1888, when Hon. D. P. Thompson was chosen. Mr. Thompson served until the close of 1889, when a re-organizationwas effected, as outlined by the subjoined constitutions. Mr. Geo. B. Markle was at this time elected, and is now the very efficient President of the Club. The Alpine Club is a public institution and is deserving of the liberal support of the city and State. The following is a list of officials, as also the Constitutions of the Club and its various Departments:

OFFICERS.

President,Geo. B. Markle{W. G. SteelVice Presidents,{W. W. Bretherton{John GillSecretary,Geo. H. HimesTreasurer,C. M. Idleman

ARTICLE I.NAME.

This Association shall be known as theOregon Alpine Club, and its subdivisions as the Departments of the same.

ARTICLE II.OBJECT.

The object shall be the foundation and maintenance of a Public Museum, and advancement and encouragement of Amateur Photography, Alpine and Aquatic exploration, and the protection of our game, fish, birds and animals.

ARTICLE III.SECTIONS.

There shall be Four Departments, namely, (1) Exploration Department; (2) Photographic Department; (3) Game Protective Department; and (4) Museum Department.

ARTICLE IV.OFFICERS.

Section 1.The officers of the Club shall be a President, four Vice Presidents, Secretary and Treasurer.

Sec. 2.The Presidents of the various Departments shall beex-officioVice-Presidents of the Club.

ARTICLE V.ELECTIONS.

Section 1.The officers shall be elected by ballot on the second Friday of December in each year, a majority of all votes cast being necessary for election; and shall hold their respective offices until their successors are elected and qualified.

Sec. 2.Each Department shall elect its own officers.

ARTICLE VI.

The duties of President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary and Treasurer shall be those usual to such officers.

ARTICLE VII.DIRECTORS.

Section 1.The President, Vice-Presidents and four members shall constitute the Board of Directors, who will be the managing power of the Club.

Sec. 2.They shall employ a Curator and provide for his compensation.

ARTICLE VIII.CURATOR.

The Curator shall be a taxidermist, and shall have full charge of the Museum and other property of the Club, under the direction of the Board of Directors.

ARTICLE IX.MEMBERSHIP.

Section 1.There shall be three classes of members, namely, Active, Associate and Honorary.

Sec. 2.An active member is one who has signed the Constitution, paid his dues, and been admitted to any of the Departments.

Sec. 3.An Associate member is one who has not been admitted to any of the Departments.

Sec. 4.Any person may become an Associate member by signing the Constitution and paying his dues.

Sec. 5.Honorary members shall be entitled to all the privileges of the Club except voting. Their names shall be proposed at one meeting and voted on at the next, three-fourths of all votes cast being necessary for election.

Sec. 6.Any member may be expelled by a two thirds vote of the members present:Provided, That one week's notice has been given at a regular meeting.

ARTICLE X.DUES.

Section 1.An initiation fee of two dollars shall be charged all persons joining the Club.

Sec. 2.The dues shall be six dollars a year, payable quarterly, in advance.

Sec. 3.Any member who shall fail to pay his dues for six consecutive months, shall have his name stricken from the roll, and be considered no longer a member:Provided, always, One month's notice has been given him in writing by the Curator.

ARTICLE XI.

All questions in dispute between the Departments shall be referred to the Directors for final settlement.

ARTICLE XII.

The Oregon Camera Club is hereby incorporated as the Photographic Department of the Oregon Alpine Club. All members of the Oregon Camera Club in good standing, becoming members of the Photographic Department of the Oregon Alpine Club, on ratification and acceptance of this article by the Camera Club.

ARTICLE XIII.AMENDMENTS.

The Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of members present:Provided, That one month's notice has been given in writing, at a regular meeting, and has also been posted in the Club rooms for one month.

OFFICERS.

President,W. G. SteelVice President,Edward CaseySecretary,M. W. GormanTreasurer,Dr. Willis I. Cottel

CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE INAME.

This body shall be called theExploration Department of the Oregon Alpine Club.

ARTICLE II.OBJECT.

To encourage the exploration of mountains, lakes and rivers, by either scientists or pleasure seekers, to foster pleasure outings by land or water, to award appropriate prizes for meritorious outfits for journeys and cruises, and for speedy trips on land, and swift cruises by water; and to conserve the handling of gun and sail as an accomplishment, and incidentally to encourage canoeing as a means to reach wide fields for research and pleasure, awarding prizes for the handling of the same.

ARTICLE III.OFFICERS.

The officers shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, whose duties shall be those usual to such offices.

ARTICLE IV.MEMBERSHIP.

Section 1.No one shall be competent for membership, except members of the Oregon Alpine Club.

Sec. 2.It is understood that when the membership of any person ceases in the Oregon Alpine Club, such person shall cease to be a member of this Department.

Sec. 3.All propositions for membership shall be in writing.

Sec. 4.Every name submitted for membership, shall be proposed at one meeting, and voted on by ballot at the next, two-thirds of all members present being necessary for election.

Sec. 5.Any member may be expelled for conduct unbecoming a gentleman, by a two-thirds vote of the members present:Provided, That one month's notice has been given at a regular meeting.

ARTICLE V.DUES.

Section 1.An initiation fee of one dollar shall be charged all members, and the monthly dues shall be twenty-five cents each, payable quarterly in advance.

Sec. 2.Any member who shall fail to pay his regular dues for six consecutive months, shall have his name stricken from the roll, due notice having been given him by the Secretary.

ARTICLE VI.MEETINGS.

Section 1.Regular meetings shall be held on the second Monday evening of each month, at such hour as shall be agreed upon from time to time.

Sec. 2.Special meetings may be called by the President, or by a call signed by five members:Provided, That such a call shall state the object of the meeting.

Sec. 3.An annual meeting shall be held on the second Monday in December of each year, for the election of officers, and such other business not provided for herein.

ARTICLE VII.TRUSTEES.

A Board of five Trustees shall be chosen at the annual meeting each year, who shall have the general management of all the affairs of the Department.

ARTICLE VIII.QUORUM.

Five members shall constitute a quorum competent to transact business.

ARTICLE IX.AMENDMENTS.

This Constitution may be amended by a two-thirdsvote of members present:Provided, That one month's notice has been given in writing at a regular meeting, and a copy of said notice posted in the Club room for one month.

[Not Organized.]

OFFICERS.

President,W. W. BrethertonVice President,H. GoldsmithSecretary and Treasurer,E. E. Norton

CONSTITUTION.

ARTICLE I.NAME.

This association shall be known as thePhotographic Department of the Oregon Alpine Club.

ARTICLE II.OBJECT.

Its object shall be to encourage and promote practical Photography, and to invite and stimulate discussion and investigation of all that pertains to Photographic science and art.

ARTICLE III.MEMBERSHIP.

The Department shall be composed of such members of the Oregon Alpine Club who practice Photography as amateurs, as shall be elected there and shall be known as active members, and suchHonorary and Associate members as shall be elected by the Department from the members of the Oregon Alpine Club.

Candidates for election may be proposed for election at one meeting, and voted on at the same meeting. All applications for membership shall be voted on by ballot, and it shall require two-thirds of all votes cast to elect any member.

All professional Photographers who are members of the Oregon Alpine Club shall be eligible as Associate members, and shall enjoy all the privileges of the Department except the right of vote or hold office.

ARTICLE IV.OFFICERS.

The officers of the Department shall be a President, Vice-President, one or more, a Secretary, and a Treasurer; the offices of Secretary and Treasurer being held by one member if so desired by the Department.

ARTICLE V.QUORUM.

The attendance of two officers and three or more members shall be necessary to constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, but the constitution or by-laws shall not be changed except at a meeting called for that purpose by the Secretary and by a vote of two-thirds of all votes cast.

ARTICLE VI.ANNUAL MEETING.

The Annual Meeting of the Department shall beheld on the third Friday of January in each year, for the election of officers and such other business as may come before the meeting.

ARTICLE VII.MONTHLY MEETINGS.

The monthly meeting of the Department shall be held on the third Friday of each month.

ARTICLE VIII.DUES.

The dues of the Department shall be $3.00 per year, payable to the treasurer of the Department.

Henry Winslow Corbett, the first president of the Oregon Alpine Club was elected immediately after its organization and served until the close of 1888. He was born at Westborough, Mass., February 18th, 1827, and came to Oregon, via Cape Horn, with a stock of general merchandise, arriving at Portland, March 4th, 1851. In 1866, he was elected U. S. Senator and served six years with credit to himself and honor to his State. He is one of the wealthiest and most influential men in Oregon. The following in reference to him is taken from the History of Portland:

"In person, Mr. Corbett is six feet high, straight and spare in figure, but symmetrically formed. Cautious, cool-headed and decided, he is not an inviting mark for the wiles of the schemer or impostor, but he is thoroughly approachable, respectful and considerate toward those whom he meets, and utterly lacking either in the arrogance of small greatness, or in the still more objectionable truckling and assumedbonhommieof the small politician. He is thoroughly dignified, and yet his manners are so unassumingly easy that one hardly notices them. Indeed he is a fine type of that well approved manhood in which courtesy, kindness, dignity, culture, honor and charity are most happily blended. To these excellences can beadded unswerving integrity, honesty of purpose, purity of thought and act, and those crowning virtues born of an ever present and controlling moral sentiment. His career shows what can be accomplished by steady and quiet energy, directed by sound judgment and high purpose. His name has been associated with numberless successful enterprises, but not one failure, and he is justly entitled to a foremost place among those who have created, established and maintained the commercial and industrial supremacy of Portland."

"David P. Thompson, one of the most widely known men in our State, was born in Harrison county, Ohio, in 1834. In his nineteenth year he came to Oregon, driving sheep across the plains and walking every rod of the way. Upon his arrival at Oregon City in 1853 he took a job of cutting cordwood, which lasted through the winter. Soon after he entered upon the profession of a surveyor, which he followed during several years. In pursuance of this business he acquired an unequaled knowledge of the northwestern country, and laid the foundation of his present ample fortune. He lived at Oregon City till 1876, when he removed to Portland. In 1879, and again in 1881, he was elected mayor, and gave the city a vigorous and efficient administration. Mr. Thompson, throughout his whole life, has been noted for activity and energy. He is a man of firm and positive character, tenacious of his purposes, active in business and successful in his undertakings. By appointment of President Grant he became governor of Idaho Territory in 1875, but resigned the office in 1876. He is now engaged in the banking business in Portland."—(History of Portland,—Scott.) Mr. Thompson served as president of the Alpine Club in 1889.

Mr. George B. Markleis at the present time serving as president of the Alpine Club. He was born in Hazleton, Lucerne county, Pennsylvania, October 7th, 1857, and came to Oregon in 1886. His desire to locate in the west led him to make a tour of inspection, which embraced Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, California, Oregon and Washington. A careful examination of all this region convinced him that Portland offered the best inducements as a business point, combined with all the advantages of an old settled community, and in the fall of 1886 he permanently located in this city. He immediately became a factor in the busy life around him, and displayed a business generalship which marked him as a man of unusual power, and gave him a place among the foremost business men of the city seldom accorded in any community to one of his years. With others he organized the Oregon National Bank, of which he is vice president; also the Ellensburgh National Bank, the Northwest Loan and Trust Company and the Commercial Bank of Vancouver, being president of the last three corporations named. He was one of the purchasers of the Multnomah Street Railway; reorganized the company and ever since has been its president. He is also president of the Portland Mining Company, owning the Sunset group of mines in the famous Cœur d'Alene district. He was one of the leading spirits in organizing the great enterprise of the North Pacific Industrial Association; purchased the land upon which to erect the necessary buildings and secured a large number of subscriptions to its capital stock. He was one of the leading spirits in the organization of the Portland Hotel Company and is prominently identified with many other enterprises.—(History of Portland,—Scott.)

1853.—Adams, Mt.—Called by Winthrop, "Tacoma the Second,"—(Canoe and Saddle, page 48).

1889.—Called by the Indians "Pat-to," which signifies standing up high. With the Indians this was a general term for snow capped mountains.

Located in latitude 46° 12' 14.1", longitude 121° 31' 08.3".

1775.—Adams Point.—Discovered by Heceta and called Cape Frondoso (Leafy Cape).

1792.—Capt. Gray subsequently entered the river and named it Point Adams.—(Life on Puget Sound,—Leighton, page 48. Pacific States, vol. 22, page 163).

1792.—Admiralty Inlet.—Named by Vancouver for the Board of Admiralty.—(Life on Puget Sound, p. 155).

1766-9.—Alaska.—Named by Russians.—(Willamette Valley, page 62). The name is derived from a Russian corruption of an Aleutian word, "Alakshak," which signifies Continent, or a large country. The Russian version of the term was "Aliaska," and it applied only to the prominent peninsula jutting out from the continent. Made a general term by the United States.—(Supplement to Encyclopædia Britannica, vol. 1, page 157).

1507.—America.—First applied to the new world in a work entitled "Cosmographiæ Instructio, etc., in super quatuor Americi Vespucii Navigationes," written by MartiWaldseemuller, under the assumed name of Hylacomylus and printed at Saint Die, in Lorraine.—(History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, page 48).

1808.—American Fur Companyorganized.—(Burrows' Oregon, page 58).

1846.—Applegate, or Southern Route.—Constructed by Jesse Applegate.—(Pacific States, vol 22, page 642).

1811.—Astoriafounded by John Jacob Astor, April 12.—(Encyclopædia Britannica, vol. 2, page 737. History of the Willamette Valley, page 153).

1813.—Captured by the English and name changed to St. George.—(Burrows' Oregon, page 63).

1818.—Repossessed by the United States.—(Burrows' Oregon, page 65).

1865.—Atmospheric River of Heat.—General course, effects, etc.—(Miners and Travelers' Guide,—Muller, page 61).

1792.—Baker's Bay.—Named by Broughton for Capt. Baker, of the brig Jenny.—(Three Years' Residence in W. T.,—Swan, page 129).

1792.—Baker, Mt.—Named for Lieut. Baker, by Vancouver, April 30.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 56).

1853.—Called by Winthrop, "Kulshan," presumably because of being the Indian name.—(Canoe and Saddle, page 47).

1846-8.—Same as Mt. Polk.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 256).

1868.—The summit is described and illustrated in Harper's Monthly for November, page 806, by E. T. Coleman.

1869.—Called by the Spanish, "Montana del Carmelo."—(Life on Puget Sound,—Leighton, page 160).

1842-6.—Barlow Road.—See Indian Trail.

1851.—Battle Rock at Port Orford.—First trip from here to the Willamette Valley (with notes by a participant).—(Oregon and Washington,—Armstrong, page 60).

1792.—Bellingham's Bay.—Named by Vancouver.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 214).

1728.—Behringsent out by Russia on a voyage of discovery.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 22).

1865.—Bitter Root Range.—Same as the Cœur d'Alene Mountains.—(Miners and Travelers' Guide,—Mullan, page 63).

1841.—Blanchet, Father.—Visited by Wilkes.—(Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, page 349).

1775.—Bodega, Don Juan de la.—Sailed north to 58° and returning discovered Bodega Bay in 38° 18'.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 57).

Bonneville.—Named for B. L. E. Bonneville, who explored the Rocky Mountains in 1832 and visited the Columbia in 1834.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 568).

1792.—Broughton, Lieut.—Entered the Columbia River, October 20th, and was surprised to find the brig Jenny, of Bristol, Capt. Baker, lying there at anchor.—(Three Years' Residence in W. T.,—Swan, page 129).

1792.—Bulfinch's Harbor.—Discovered by Captain Gray.—(Oregon and Its Institutions,—Hines, page 15) See also, Gray's Harbor.

1543.—Cabrillo.—See Viscaino.

1775.—Cape Disappointment.—Discovered by Heceta, August 15, and called Cape San Roque. Named Disappointment by Mears, because of his not being able to make the entrance of the river.—(Life on Puget Sound,—Leighton, page 48).

1792.—Called Cape Hancock by Gray, but afterwards changed upon hearing that Mears had already named it.—(Three Years' Residence in W. T.,—Swan, page 129).

1778.—Cape Flattery.—Named by Captain Cook.—(Three Years' Residence in W. T.,—Swan, page 120).

1792.—Cape Hancock.—See Cape Disappointment.

1812.—Cape Horn.—So named because of the difficulty experienced in doubling it.—(The Columbia River,—Cox, vol. 1, page 118).

1766.—Carver, Capt. Jonathan.—A resident of Connecticut and a soldier of the Canadian war. Left Boston, by way of Detroit, for the waters of the Upper Mississippi, and to cross the continent.—(The Oregon Territory,—Nicolay, page 93).

Cascade Mountains.—Named for the Cascades of the Columbia River.—(American Cyclopedia, vol. 4, page 511. Fremont, page 189).

1846-8.—Same as President's Range.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 255).

1805.—Castle Rock, called by Lewis and Clarke, Beacon Rock.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 47).

1852.—Coal discovered near Seahome by Capt. Pattle.—(Harpers Magazine for November, 1869, page 795).

1792.—Coffin, Mt.—Originally used as an Indian burying ground, and discovered by Lieut. Broughton.—(Vancouver, vol. 3, page 98.—Wilkes Narrative, vol. 4, page 319).

1775.—Columbia River.—First discovered by Heceta, August 15.

Named by himEnsenada de Asuncion, or Assumption Inlet. The north point was called Cape San Roque, and the south, Cape Frondoso, (Leafy Cape). In the chart published in Mexico soon after the conclusion of the voyage, the entrance is, however, calledEnsenada de Heceta, Hecta Inlet; andRio de San Roque, River of St. Roc.

While in command of the sloop Washington, in August, Capt. Gray discovered, and attempted to enter this opening, but the sloop grounded on the bar and came near being lost; and was also attacked by Indians, who killed one man and wounded the mate.

Gray was shortly afterward transferred to the Columbia, and on another cruise entered the river; sailed up it about twenty miles, and bestowed the name of his vessel upon it.—(Three Years' Residence in W. T., pages 124 to 128.—Pacific States, vol. 22, page 163.—American Cyclopædia, vol. 5, page 513).

Many works published before the discovery refer to a river flowing westward, as "River of the West," "River of Aguilar," "River Thegays."—(History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, pages 144-5).

1805.—Called by the Indians "Spocatilicum"—Friendly Water.—(Life on Puget Sound,—Leighton, page 50). The Indians also referred to it as Wahn-na, or Big River.

1816.—The bar was first surveyed by Capt. McClellan, of the Col. Allen.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 266).

1846.—Was considered accessible for vessels only three months in the year.—(The Oregon Territory,—Nicolay, page 42).

1853.—Comcomli.—This Indian Chief is spoken of by Winthrop as one Montgomery.—(Canoe and Saddle, page 77).

1841.—Commencement Bay.—Named by Wilkes. (Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, page 479).

1778.—Cook, Capt.—Sailed along the coast and sighted land at 44°, March 7.—(Oregon,—Moseley, page 8.—History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, page 150).

1779.—Murdered by natives in the Sandwich Islands February 16th.—(History of Oregon and California, page 157).

Corvallis.—Of Spanish derivation, and signifies Center of the Valley. Originally, Marysville.—(Oregon and Washington,—Armstrong, page 18).

1598.—D'Aguilar, Martin.—See Sebastian Viscanio.

1805.—Des Chutes River.—Called by Lewis, "Towahnahiooks," and by Gass, "The Kimmooenim."—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 41).

1775.—Disappointment, Cape.—See Cape Disappointment.

1786.—Dixon and Postlockwere sent out by the King Georges Sound Co. of London and arrived at Cooks River in July.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 61).

1824.—Douglas, David.—The botanist who gave his name to the Douglas pine (Abies Douglasii), and named over one thousand plants, was sent out by the Royal Horticultural Society of London, and remained ten years.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, pages 507-8).

1579.—Drake, Sir Francis.—Sailed along the coast.—(Oregon,—Moseley, page 8. History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, page 73).

False Dungeness, see Port Angeles.

1542.—Furrelo, Bartoleme.—Sailed with two vessels to 41° to 44°.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, pages 26 and 27. History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, page 64).

1576.—First voyage made from England to seek a Northwest Passage was made by Martin Frobisher.—(History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, page 77).

1793.—First trip to the Pacific, overland, was made by Sir Alex. Mackenzie, who reached the sea at 52° 20'.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, pages 19 and 20).

1806.—First civilized post, or settlement, west of the Rocky Mountains was made by the Northwest Co., on Frazer Lake in 54°.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 21).

1810.—First settlement attempted and first house in Oregon built by Capt. Winship forty miles above the sea on the south bank of the Columbia.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 133. Oregon,—Moseley, page 9).

1814.—First European woman on the Columbia River was Miss Jane Barnes, who arrived at Astoria on the Isaac Todd, April 17th.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 250).

1827.—First fruit tree in Oregon was planted at Vancouver by John McLaughlin, who also introduced live stock, vegetables and grain.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 441).

1836.—First steamer to visit Oregon was the Beaver, from England—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 600).

1598.—Florez, Antonio.—See Sebastian Viscanio.

1812.—Fraser River.—Known among the Indians as Tacoutche-Tesse.

1793.—Supposed by Sir Alex. Mackenzie to be the northern source of the Columbia.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 19. Pacific Coast, vol. 22, page 205).

Named for Simon Fraser, who established a post in that region in 1805.—(History of Portland,—Scott, page 16).

1713.—France secretly conveys to Spain all her possessions west of the Mississippi River.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 19).

1800.—France recovers the western half of Louisiana from Spain.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 20).

1803.—France sells her claims to the United States.—(Barrows' Oregon, pages 21 and 210).

1843.—Fremont follows Whitman to Oregon, arriving October 23.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 250).

1786.—Fur trade opened by British merchants between Oregon and China.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 18).

Goat, Mountain.—Known by the Indians as Plas, (white), because of the white rocks.

1792.—Gray, Capt.—Explored the Columbia river twenty-five miles, and named it.—(The Oregon Territory,—Nicolay, page 39).

1792.—Gray's Bay.—Named by Broughton for Capt. Gray, of the Columbia.—(Vancouver, vol. 3, page 92).

1789.—Gray's Harbor.—First called Bulfinch Harbor, but changed to Gray's Harbor May 7th.—(Pacific States vol. 22, page 259).

1791.—Gulf of Georgia.—Called by Don Francisco Elisa, "Canal de Nuestra Senora del Rosary," or The Channel of our Lady of the Rosary.

1792.—Subsequently named by Vancouver in honor of the king.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 170.—Life on Puget Sound, page 154).

1846-8.—Harrison, Mt.—See Rainier.

1771.—Hearne, Sam'l.—An employee of the Hudson Bay Co. succeeded in tracing the Coppermine river to tide water in 72°, and his report caused the Lords of Admiralty to send Capt. Cook to the Northwest Coast.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 58).

1775.—Heceta, Bruno.—Left San Blas for America March 16th. Passed up the entire coast of Oregon, discovered the Columbia river.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 567. Oregon,—Moseley, page 8).

1792.—Hood, Mt.—Discovered by Broughton October 29th, and named for Lord Hood.—(Vancouver, vol. 3, page 107.—N. W. Coast of America,—Franchere, page 112).

1846-8.—Same as Mt. Washington.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 256).

1846.—Said to be in a state of eruption.—(Oregon and California, vol. 1, page 336).

1854.—Belden claimed to have ascended it in October, and reported it as 19,400 feet high. He claimed to have ascended as high as possible with snowshoes, then with ice hooks and spikes. When they reached a point some 18,000 feet high respiration became very difficult owing to the rarity of the atmosphere. At length the blood began to ooze through the pores of the skin like drops of sweat; their eyes began to bleed, then the blood gushed from their ears. Then they commenced their downward march. At the point where they commenced the ascent they had left their pack mules, and two men to guard them. The men went out hunting, and when they returned found that the cougars had killed two of their mules.—(Oregon and Washington,—Armstrong, page 38).

(Lying seemed to have been reduced to an art in those days).

1864.—Ascended by Rev. H. K. Hines and the summit described.—(Oregon and its Institutions,—Hines, page 44).

Known among Indians as Pat-to, or high mountain. This was a general term for any high snow-capped mountain.

Located in latitude 45° 22' 24.3". Longitude 121° 42' 49.6".

1792.—Hood's Canal.—Named by Vancouver for Lord Hood.—(Life on Puget Sound, page 155).

1805.—Hood River.—Called by Lewis and Clarke, La Biche.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 45).

1670.—Hudson Bay Co.—Chartered May 16th.—(Burrows' Oregon, page 33).

1842-6.—Indian Trail.—The first pass over the Cascades used by whites was over the southern flank of Mount Hood. Near it was afterwards made the Barlow Road, which was named for Barlow, of Barlow, Palmer and Rector, who were compelled to abandon their trains at the summit and were rescued by a relief party from the Willamette Valley.—(Pac. States, vol. 22, page 645).

1846-8.—Jackson, Mt.—Same as Mt. Pitt of the English. In lat. 41° 40'.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 257.)

1806.—Jefferson, Mt.—Named by Lewis and Clarke for President Jefferson.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 61).

1846-8.—Called by the British, Mt. Vancouver.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 257).

Located in latitude 44° 40' 26.1". Longitude 121° 48' 59.9".

1810-12.—John Day.—A Virginian, accompanied the Northwest Co. to Astoria. He was 6 feet, 2 inches in height—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 179).

1805.—John Day River.—Called by Lewis and Clarke, the Lepage.—(Pac. States, vol. 23. page 41).

1841.—Johnson, Lieut.—Explores the Cascades from Puget Sound.—(Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, pages 418 and 424).

1787.—Juan de Fuca Straits.—Discovered by Capt. Barclay, of the Imperial Eagle.

1788.—The entrance was explored by Capt. Meares, in the Felice, and named by him.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, p. 19.—Pac. States, vol. 22, page 197).

1805.—Klickitat River.—Called by Lewis and Clarke, Cataract River.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 45).

1833.—Kelly, Hall J.—First called attention to the feasibility of settling the Pacific Coast by overland emigration. Arrived at Vancouver this year.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 549).

1841.—Lavaformation limited to 48° N.—(Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, page 457).

1792.—Ledyardleaves Paris for America, under the direction of Jefferson, to discover the River of the West, but is stopped by the Russians.—(Miners' and Travelers' Guide,—Mullan, page 53).

1834.—Lee, Rev. Jason.—Established the first Mission in the Willamette valley, ten miles below the present Salem.—(History of the Willamette Valley, page 208).

1840.—Established a Methodist Mission at the Willamette Falls.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 607).

1805-6.—Lewis and Clarke.—Spent the winter at the mouth of the Columbia.—(Oregon,—Moseley, page 8).

Lewis River.—The North Fork was known among Indians as Wicht, and was considered the main river. The South Fork was known as Wa-co-ko, a Pike, (fish); also Yac-co, for Yac-co prairies, near Mt. St. Helens.

1789.—Mackenzie River.—Named for Alexander Mackenzie.—(Zell's Encyclopedia, vol. 2, page 264).

1793.—Mackenzie, Sir Alex.—Reached the Pacific overland, July 22.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 34).

1812.—McKenzie, Donald.—Explored the Willamette Valley one hundred miles or more.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 195).

1818.—McKenzie established Ft. Walla Walla.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 273).

1825.—McLaughlin, John..—Established Fort Vancouver, introduced live stock, fruit, vegetables, grain, etc.

Took possession of Willamette Falls.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, pages 441 and 505).

Madison, Mt.—Is the Mt. McLaughlin of the British. Lat. 43° 30'.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 257).

Mary's River.—Named for an Indian woman, wife of a white man, who had great trouble in making the crossing. Afterwards applied to Mary's Peak, because the river rises there.—(Oregon and its Institutions,—Hines, page 22).

1788.—Meares, Capt.—Reached the mouth of the Columbia without discovering it, July 6th.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 95).

1840.—Meek, Joe.—Arrived in the Willamette Valley.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 456).

1846.—Modoc Lakes.—Discovered by Jesse Applegate.—(Pac. States, vol. 22, page 642).

1823.—Monroe Doctrineproclaimed.—(Burrows' Oregon, page 24).

1846-8.—Monroe, Mt.—Same as Mt. Shasta—(Ore. and Cal.,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 257).

1853.—Nachess Pass.—5000 feet above sea level.—(Narrative of 1853,—Stevens, vol. 1, page 259).

1792.—Neah Bay.—Called by Vancouver, Poverty Cove, and by the Spaniards, Port Nunez Gaona.—(Three Years' Residence in W. T.,—Swan, page 119).

1579.—New Albion.—Named by Drake, who was crowned by the natives as their king.—History of Oregon and California,—(Greenhow, page 73; also, page 53 Mountains of Oregon.)

1792.—New Dungeness.—Named by Vancouver for Dungeness, in the British Channel, because of the similar appearance.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 55).

1883.—Nickel Depositin Douglas County.—(Mineral Resources of the U. S.,—Williams, page 403).

1778.—Nootka Sound.—Discovered by Capt. Cook, and named King George's Sound, then changed by him to Nootka.—(Voyages of Capt. Cook, vol. 2, page 270.)

1790.—Nootka Treaty.—Formed between Spain and England.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 14).

1818.—Northern Boundaryof the U. S. located at 49° due west to the Rocky Mountains.—(Burrow's Oregon, page 54).

1843.—Nez Perces.—Pierced Nose.—(Fremont, page 181).

1834.—Nuttall and Townsend, scientists, arrived at Fort Vancouver with Wyeth.—(Pac. States, vol. 23, page 577).

1792.—Oak Point.—Named by Broughton because of finding the first oak trees there.—(Vancouver, vol. 3, page 100).

1788.—Olympus, Mt.—Named by Capt. Meares, July 4th. Discovered by Juan Perez, a Spanish pilot, and called El Cero de la Santa Rosalia.—(Narrative of 1853, vol. 1, page 262).

1774.—Oregon.—First used by Capt. Jonathan Carver.—(History of the Willamette Valley, page 73. See also page 53, Mountains of Oregon).

1846.—Bounded on the north by the 49°, on the east by the Rocky Mountains, on the south by the 42°, and on the west by the Pacific Ocean.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, page 251).

1846.—Northern boundary first settled by treaty, July 17.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 282).

1871-2.—Northern boundary finally settled by arbitration.—(Barrows' Oregon, pages 56 and 318).

1874.—Once inhabited by a great number and variety of pre-Adamite beasts.—(The Columbia River and Puget Sound,—Nordhoff, Harper's Magazine for February, page 344).

1818.—Occupied jointly by the United States and England for ten years.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 55).

1859.—Admitted to the Union with present limits, February 14th.—(Zell's Encyclopedia, vol. 2, page 527. Hill's Annotated Laws of Oregon, vol. 1, page 77).

1792.—Orford, Cape.—Named by Vancouver for Earl (George) Orford.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 23).

1812-13.—Pacific Fur Company.—The plot to rob Astor shown up by an Englishman.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 24).

1513.—Pacific Ocean.—Discovered by Vasco Nunez de Balboa, governor of the Spanish colony of Darien, and named by Fernando Magalhaens, or, Magellan, a Portuguese in the naval service of Spain, because of being so little disturbed by storms. Spoken of as "Mar del Sur."—(History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, pages 48 and 78. Barrows' Oregon, page 2).

1835.—Parker, Rev. Samuel.—Sent to Oregon by the American Board of Foreign Missions.—(Oregon and California, vol. 2, page 22).

1745.—Parliamentary Grant.—£20,000 voted by the House of Commons for the discovery of a northwest passage by a British vessel.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 58).

1774.—Perez, Juan.—Anchored in Nootka Sound.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 55).

1846-8.—Pitt, Mt.—Called at one time Mt. Jackson. (Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 257).

1792.—Point Adams.—See Adams' Point.

Point de los Reys.—Named by the Spaniards.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 413).

1791.—Port Angeles.—Named by Don Francisco Elisa, the Mexican. Called by Vancouver False Dungeness, because of a similar appearance to New Dungeness.—(Life on Puget Sound, page 153).

1792.—Port Discovery.—Named by Vancouver, for one of his ships.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 66).

1841.—Port Gamble.—Named by Wilkes for Gamble, a U. S. Naval officer.—(Narrative of 1853, vol. 1, page 284).

1869.—Known among Indians as Teekalet.—(Life on Puget Sound, page 156).

1842.—Portland.—Established by A. L. Lovejoy and F. W. Pettygrove, and name agreed upon by tossing up a cent.—(Portland City Directory for 1872, page 10).

1786.—Portlock, Capt.—See Dixon and Portlock.

1841.—Port Ludlow.—Surveyed by Wilkes, and named for Ludlow, a U. S. Naval officer.—(Narrative of 1853, vol. 1, page 283).

1792.—Port Townsend.—Visited by Vancouver, May 8th, and named in honor of the Marquis of Townshend, who signed Vancouver's instructions. The h was subsequently dropped.—(Life on Puget Sound, page 155. Stephens' Narrative of 1853, vol. 1, page 283. Vancouver, vol. 2, page 76).

1853.—Known among Indians as Kahtai.—(Canoe and Saddle,—Winthrop, page 11).

1854.—Surveyed by the U. S. Coast Survey.—(Stevens' Narrative of 1853, vol. 1, page 283).

1792.—Possession Sound.—So named by Vancouver, because he landed there on King George's birthday, and took possession of the country.—(The Oregon Territory,—Nicolay, page 53.—Vancouver, vol. 2, page 170).

1792.—Puget Sound.—Discovered by Vancouver's lieutenant, Peter Puget, and so named by Vancouver May 19th.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 146.—Narrative of 1853, vol. 1, page 289).

1853.—Known among Indians as Whulge.—(Canoe and Saddle,—Winthrop, page 11; also among Klalams as K'uk'-luts page 43).

1792.—Protection Island.—Named by Vancouver because of its advantageous location with reference to the harbor.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 67).

1787.—Queen Charlotte Islands.—Named by Dixon.—(Encyclopædia Britannica, vol. 20, page 170).

1789.—Capt. Gray sailed round it and named it Washington, for his sloop.—(Backwoods of Canada and Oregon Territory,—Nicolay, page 38).

1786.—Queen Charlotte Sound.—Named by Wedgboro in August.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 308.)

1841.—Rainier and St. Helensin activity.—(Wilkes Narrative, vol. 4, page 440).

1792.—Rainier, Mt.—Discovered by Vancouver on May 8th and named for Rear Admiral Rainier of the English Navy.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 79).

1843.—An active volcano, November 13.—(Fremont, page 193).

1846-8.—Also known as Mt. Harrison.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 257. See pages 54, 55 and 59. Also Tacoma).

Rock Creek, near Mt. St. Helens, known among Indians as "Cut-to" (a sort of guttural sound on first syllable), which means "swift stream."

1742-3.—Rocky Mountains.—Named by Verendrye Brothers.—(History of the Willamette Valley, page 70).

1798.—Russian American Fur Co.given exclusive privileges.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 23).

1821.—Russiaclaims by public decree all of the Pacific Coast north of latitude 51°. This claim was disputed by the U. S.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 24).

1812.—Russians established at Bodega Bay.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 23).

1820.—Russians establish a fort forty miles north of Bodega Bay.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 23).

1766.—Russian Fur Companies organized to operate in America.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 23).

1824.—Russia withdraws to 54° 40'.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 25).

1824.—Russia withdraws from California at the request of the U. S.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 26).

1697.—Ryswick Treaty Formed.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 1. American Cyclopedia, vol. 14, page 245).

1842.—Saddle Mountain.—Called by the Indians "Swallalahoost." Named by Wilkes, "Saddle Mountain."—(Oregon and Its Institutions,—Hines, page 21).

1805.—Sandy River.—Called by Lewis & Clarke, "Quicksand River."—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 48).

1741.—St. Elias, Mt.—Discovered by Behring, July 18th.—(History of the Willamette Valley, page 58).

1792.—St. Helens, Mt.—Named by Vancouver for His Majesty's ambassador at Madrid, October 20.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 399).

1831.—In a state of eruption.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 256).

1843.—In activity November 13.—(Fremont, page 193).

1846.—Known among Americans as Mt. Washington.—(The Oregon Territory,—Nicolay, page 109).

1843.—Described when in a state of eruption.—(History of Oregon,—Wilkes, page 109).

1846-8.—Known also as Mt. John Adams.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 256).

1852-4.—An active volcano.—(Three years' residence in W. T., Swan—page 395. Canoe and Saddle, page 48).

Known among Indians as "Lou-wala'-clough," meaning Smoking Mountain.

Located in latitude 46° 11' 52.3". Longitude 122° 12' 37".

1805.—Sauvies Island.—Called by Lewis and Clarke, Wapato Island, because of an abundance of wapatos found there. It subsequently acquired its name from Jean Baptiste Sauve, a French Canadian, who established a dairy there after the abandonment of Ft. William.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, pages 48 and 598).

Seattle.—Named for an Indian.—(Harper's Monthly for September, 1870, page 490).

1846.—Shasta, Mt.—Called Pitt by the English, Jackson and Monroe by the Americans, and Shasta by the trappers.—(The Oregon Territory,—Nicolay, page 109). (Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol 1, page 257).

1788.—Shoalwater Bay.—Discovered and named by Captain John Mears, July 5th.—(Mears' Voyages, vol. 1, page 263).

1852.—First surveyed by Lieut. Com. Alden.—(Narrative of 1853, vol. 1, page 263).

1792.—Skagit Head.—Named by Vancouver.—(Life on Puget Sound, page 156).

1836.—Slacum, Wm. A.—An agent of the State Department, in the guise of a private citizen, visited the Columbia and Willamette Rivers.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 602).

Spain's First Claim to Oregon.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 12).

1795.—Spain withdraws from Oregon.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 14).

Spaniards coveted a position in the East Indies, but the Bull of Pope Alexander III precluded them from sailing eastward, round the Cape of Good Hope, hence their attempts to go by way of the Pacific.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 50).

1800.—Spanish territory west of the Mississippi conveyed to France.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 210).

1814.—Spanish claims conceded to the United States through France and acknowledged by Great Britain.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 208).

Spelyah Prairie.—An Indian name, meaning Cayote.

Spirit Lake.—Near Mt. St. Helens. Indian name, Che-wa-tum, meaning Spirit.

1499-1500.—Straits of Anian.—Supposed to have been discovered by Gaspar Cortereal, who explored the coasts of Labrador, and named by him. The name possibly signifies Brother. Cortereal had two brothers with him. In the earliest maps the northwest part of America is called Ania. Ani, in the Japanese language, signifies Brother.—(History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, page 47).

1592.—Purchas claimed in the seventeenth century, in his "Pilgrims"—a narrative—that a Greek pilot, called Juan de Fuca, in the service of the Spaniards, had informed Michael Lock, the elder, whilst he was sojourning at Venice, that he had discovered (1596) the outlet of the Straits of Anian, in the Pacific Ocean, between 47° and48°, and had sailed through it into the North Sea.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 18.—History of Oregon and California,—Greenhow, page 87).

1841.—Sunken Forestin the Columbia described.—(Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, page 381.—Burnett's Recollections of a Pioneer, page 136.—The Oregon Territory, Nicolay,—page 137.—Fremont, page 195).

1841.—Survey of Puget Soundfinished.—(Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, page 479).

Tacoma, Mt.—Ta-ho-ma is the Indian name for the Great Spirit who dwells on the mountains.—(George Baily, in the Overland Monthly for Sept., 1886, page 268).

1853.—Called by the Indians, Tacoma, a generic term also applied to all snow peaks.—(Canoe and Saddle,—Winthrop, page 44).

Tacoma the Second.—See Mt. Adams.

Tamanous is the name of the Great Spirit supposed to dwell on this mountain.—(Canoe and Saddle, page 131). Tacoma the Less—(Canoe and Saddle, page 280). Each fiery Tacoma.—(Canoe and Saddle, page 286). The eruptions of the Tacomas.—(Canoe and Saddle, page 287). Tacoma, the Nourishing Breast. Tahoma, almost to Heaven.—(Life on Puget Sound,—Leighton, page 39). Red Tamahnous, Love.—(Life on Puget Sound,—page 41), Black Tamahnous, Hate, Anger.—(Life on Puget Sound, page 114).

1841.—Tenino Mounds.—Described.—(Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, page 415).

1848-9.—Territorial Government.—Granted, covering all the original Oregon.—(Barrow's Oregon, page 335. Encyclopædia Britannica, vol. 17, page 825. General Laws of Oregon, page 52).

The Dalles.—Stone pavement, or trough, or gutter.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 44).

1788.—Tillamook Bay.—Known as Murderers' Harbor and Quicksand Bay.—(Pacific States, vol. 22, pages 188 and 198).

1806.—Tillamook, or Killamook Head.—Called by Clarke, Clarke's Point of View.—(Pacific States, vol. 22, page 164, and vol. 23, page 58).

1792.—Tongue Point.—Named by Broughton.—(Vancouver, vol. 3, page 86).

1805.—Called by Lewis and Clarke, William.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 53).

1834.—Townsend, John K.—A member of the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Science, arrived at Vancouver with Wyeth, Sept. 16th.—(Townsend's Narrative, page 169. Pacific States, vol. 23, page 577).

Trout Lake.—Near Mt. St. Helens. Known among Indians as Qual-i'-as, meaning Trout.

1806.—Umatilla River.—Called by the Indians, "Youmalolam."—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 64). Named for the Umatilla tribe of Indians.

1832.—Umpqua Fort.—Built by John McLeod for the Hudson's Bay Co.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 521).

1792.—United States' Claims to Oregon.—1st, right of discovery; 2d, by the Louisiana purchase; 3d, by prior explorations; 4th, by prior settlements.—(Barrows' Oregon, pages 213, 216, 217 and 219).

1713.—Utrecht Treaty.—Between France and England.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 18).

1846-8.—Van Buren, Mt.—Same as Olympus.—(Oregon and California,—Thornton, vol. 1, page 257).

1826.—Vancouver, Fort.—Established by John McLaughlin, and

1849.—As a United States military post.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, pages 437 and 439).

1792.—Vancouver Island.—Named by Vancouver, Quadra and Vancouver Island.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 357).

1598.—Viscaino, Sebastian.—Reached a headland at 42° to which he gave name of Cape Sebastian. The smallest of his three vessels, however, conducted by Martin d'Aguilar and Antonio Florez, doubled Cape Mendocino and reached 43° where they found the mouth of a

1543.—River which Cabrillo has been supposed to have discovered.—(History of Oregon,—Twiss, page 53).

1818.—Walla Walla, Fort.—Established by McKenzie.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 273).

1805.—Wapato Island.—See Sauvie's Island, also—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 593).

Wasco.—Horn Basin.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 44).

1853.—Washington Territoryformed March 2d.—(American Cyclopedia, vol. 12, page 560. Zell's Encyclopædia, vol. 2, page 527).

1805.—Washougal River.—Called by Lewis and Clarke, Seal River.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 48).

1792.—Whidby's Island.—Named by Vancouver for one of his officers who explored it.—(Vancouver, vol. 2, page 180).

1805.—White Salmon.—Called Canoe River by Lewis and Clarke.—(Pacific States, vol. 23. page 45).

1836.—Whitman, Dr. Marcus, arrived at Vancouver in September.—(History of the Willamette Valley, page 213).

1842.—Started on his famous ride to Washington, October 3d, to prevent our government from abandoning Oregon.—(Barrow's Oregon, page 166).

1843.—Saved by a mule.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 170).

1843.—Returns from Washington, September 4th, accompanied by 200 wagons and 875 immigrants.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 250).

1847.—Murdered by the Indians in November.—(Barrows' Oregon, page 320).

1841.—Wilkes, Charles,—Drayton, R. R. Waldron and two other men visited the Willamette Valley on a scientific campaign.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 673. Wilkes' Narrative, vol. 4, page 341).

1829.—Willamette Fallstaken possession of by McLaughlin, and a saw mill established.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 505).

1806.—Willamette River.—Part of it called by the Indians Multnomah.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 60).

1843.—Winds, peculiarity of, in the Columbia River.—(Fremont, page 190).

1834.—Work, John.—explored the Umpqua region.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 527).

1832.—Wyeth, Nathaniel J.—Arrives at Vancouver.

1834.—Arrives there second time, September 16th. Established Fort William and a Salmon fishery on Wapato Island on his second trip.

1837.—Returns to Oregon again and sells Forts William and Hall to the Hudson's Bay Co.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, pages 564, 592, 594 and 598).

Yaquina Bay.—Probably named for Yaquina, a female Indian chief.—(Life on Puget Sound, page 174).

1805.—Young's Bay.—Called by Lewis and Clarke, Meriwether Bay.—(Pacific States, vol. 23, page 54).

1792.—Young's River.—Named by Broughton for Sir George Young of the Royal Navy.—(Vancouver, vol. 3, page 90).


Back to IndexNext