CHAPTER IX

Col. Wales’ regiment, when he received his commission on Dec. 30, 1878, consisted of the following twelve companies:

1, The Roxbury Artillery or City Guard.2, The Boston Light Infantry.3, The Taunton Light Guard.4, The New Bedford City Guards.5, The Standish Guards of Plymouth.6, The Massachusetts Guards of Cambridge.7, The Pierce Light Guard of Boston.8, The West Roxbury Rifles.9, The Taunton City Guard.10, The Cunningham Rifles of Brockton.11, The Maverick Rifles of East Boston.12, The Fall River Rifles.

The Fusiliers and the Chelsea Rifle-Veterans were temporarily detached from the regiment, and the Claflin Guards were gone, never to return so far as we now know.

The 1st and 8th Companies were directly from the 1st Regiment. The 2d, 6th, 7th and 11th Companies came from the 4th Battalion; the 3d Company came originally from the 4th Regiment and immediately from the 3d; the 4th, 5th and 9th Companies were from the 3d Regiment; the 10th was originally from the 3d and immediately from the 1st. A new 12th Company was organized on Dec. 12, 1878, with Capt. Sierra L. Braley in command. The new company speedily forged to the head in efficiency and has always been one of the three or four leaders in the entire regiment.

Boston celebrated the 250th anniversary of its settlement on Sept. 17, 1880, and along with other features included a magnificent military display. Everyone conceded that, while other bodies presented a fine appearance, the feature of the parade was the twelve-company 1st Regiment. That day, for the last time, the companies wore their original uniforms—old 1st Regiment, gray with towering bearskin shakos; 4th Battalion, a semi-Zouave costume with low shakos, double breasted blue coats, light blue bloused knickerbockers, and high leather leggins; and the 3d Regiment, low shakos, short blue coats, single-breasted but with three rows of buttons, and blue trousers. The regiment was received enthusiastically by the people of Boston and the day was one long to be remembered.

But changes were projected in the interests of efficiency, and first of all, in that very year, 1880, it was decided to adopt the 4th Battalion uniform for the entire twelve companies. So satisfactory did this prove that the Commonwealth utilized the same costume as a state uniform, and issued it to all the organizations of Massachusetts in 1884. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; but it can scarcely be said that the 1st relished sharing their distinctive uniform with all the militia,—they felt that they had paid dearly for this flattery.

Thereafter the regiment was to be subjected to a continuous and intensifying process of military improvement, at the hands first of the state authorities, and presently of the “Department of Militia Affairs” or “Militia Bureau” in the War Department. While it was inevitable that there should be a deal of experimentation whose results were not always satisfactory, it remains true that constant progress was made thruout the ensuing years. National Guardsmen, since they are human, are prone to complain; certainly they greetedalmost every innovation with a chorus of “kicks.” But as soon as a change had demonstrated its usefulness, it was heartily welcomed. More and more time was demanded of the men; and on the other hand part of this increased service was rewarded with increased pay by the State or Nation. The four days of camp duty required in 1873 had stretched to fifteen days in 1916, the twelve armory drills of early days to forty-eight. State and Federal pay were not an adequate recompense for the labor performed; the service was still one of unselfish patriotism. But the money invested by the authorities in camp and “rendezvous drill” pay did unquestionably testify to the higher esteem in which, with the passing years, the Guard came to stand. One noticeable consequence of the increasing military strictness was the gradual lowering of average age amongst the companies. Older men cannot be away from their business or families for so many hours and days, under ordinary circumstances. American armies have always been made up of very young men; and under the stress of increased requirements, the National Guard came to be similarly constituted.

One company participated in the exercises connected with the funeral of Pres. James A. Garfield at Cleveland in 1881.

Nathaniel Wales was elected Brigadier General on Feb. 21, 1882, and on Feb. 24, Austin C. Wellington became Colonel. The Tiger battalion, during the eight years of Wellington’s command, had become the most prominent military institution in Boston; now the entire 1st Regiment was to profit by the skill of the same man, a skill truly amounting to genius. Peculiar qualities are demanded of one who is to succeed in highest degree as a National Guardsman. He must be a well-trained soldier and a hardworker as a matter of course. He must command respect for his personal character and must be able to impart knowledge to others. He must enforce rigid discipline, and must do it without resorting to regular army methods of punishment. On top of all, there has to be sufficient personal magnetism in his make-up to attract men, and enthusiasm enough to overflow and fire others. This description of a model Guardsman is nothing more or less than a description of Austin C. Wellington. No wonder that during his six years of command, the regiment was to register a new high-water mark of success.

Now the old companies began to come back. When in 1883 the Standish Guards suffered disbandment, their place was promptly taken by the company which had originally held it, the Chelsea Rifles. The Taunton Light Guard ceased to exist in 1884, and at first, the vacant 3d number was filled by the formation of a new company in Natick. Four years later the Natick organization transferred and became Co. L of the 9th, and then the Fusiliers returned to their proper place as 3d Company.

1882 was notable for the Daniel Webster centennial. Pres. Chester A. Arthur honored Boston with a visit on this occasion, and on Oct. 11, the 1st Regiment served as Presidential escort during the celebration at Marshfield. The habit of visiting distant cities now grew on the regiment, so that on August 8, 1885, they were found in New York participating in the tremendous funeral procession in honor of their old-time commander-in-chief, U. S. Grant. Their fame grew.

All Roxbury joined in celebrating the centennial of its favorite corps, the City Guard, in 1884. March 22 of that year will long be remembered for its parade, and other demonstrations of affectionate enthusiasm. In 1886 the 12th Company visited Providence, R. I., as guests of theLight Infantry; and assisted their hosts to celebrate in fitting manner the two hundred fiftieth anniversary of Rhode Island’s settlement. 1887 brought the Fusilier centennial; and was likewise properly observed.

In 1887 the United States celebrated the centenary of the signing of its constitution, choosing Philadelphia, where the document had been drafted, as the place for the demonstration. Massachusetts decided to send Gov. Oliver Ames and to provide, as his military escort, the most proficient regiment in the State. It was not necessary to lose any time searching for the regiment—orders were promptly issued to Col. Wellington, that he prepare his command for the Philadelphia trip, the Commonwealth to pay expenses. Sept. 15 found the regiment on its way to Philadelphia, Sept. 16 saw them marching as one of the most brilliant units of the great parade under command of Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, while Sept. 17 was signalized by their return to Boston. D. W. Reeves was band-leader that year—no unworthy successor to Fillebrown and Gilmore—and he contributed, as his share in the event, a new march, “The March of the First.” Chaplain Minot J. Savage, who added to his gift of eloquence the rarer talent of poetry, wrote words for Reeves’ music,

“We’re brothers of all noble men,Who wear our country’s blue;We brothers find in any race,Where men are brave and true.But we’ve a pride in our own band,And we are all agreed,Whatever grand deeds others do,The ‘Old First’ still shall lead.”

“We’re brothers of all noble men,Who wear our country’s blue;We brothers find in any race,Where men are brave and true.But we’ve a pride in our own band,And we are all agreed,Whatever grand deeds others do,The ‘Old First’ still shall lead.”

The fame of the regiment became nation-wide as a consequence of the Philadelphia trip.

Col. Wellington’s most notable innovation was the introductionof artillery instruction, or the re-introduction, as it was for those companies originally in the old First. The change was made for the purpose of rendering drills more interesting. It is easier to maintain the interest of artillerymen—they have their guns as a rallying-point. Moreover the artillery virus was in the 1st Regiment blood and was bound eventually to manifest its presence.

That year of Col. Wellington’s accession, 1882, the legislature appropriated $5,000 for the construction of “Battery Dalton” at Framingham. Named in honor of the Adjutant General, Samuel Dalton, it was truly a marvelous work of coast defence. Its mortars had a range of five hundred yards. After firing the projectile, the cannoneers walked over and solemnly dug the same up from its self-made grave, and fired it over again. Artillery practice was economically conducted in those pioneer days. Sept. 13, 1883, the regiment was permitted to hold one day’s practice at Fort Warren, a great concession by the War Department, and a long step in artillery progress. Sept. 4, 1885, one month after the Grant funeral, the privilege of artillery practice was repeated.

A riot in Cambridge brought the 6th Company into active service for two days on Feb. 21 and 22, 1887.

Col. Wellington’s death occurred while he still filled the office of regimental commander, on Sept. 18, 1888. The funeral is said to have been the saddest tour of duty ever performed by the regiment, an expression of heart-felt grief. They were then looking forward to occupying the new South Armory; and everyone contributed the entire pay received for the day toward the expenses of a memorial room in the building. This money equipped and furnished the gymnasium in the tower, the room now devoted to the war-game.

Thomas R. Mathews, Colonel from Dec. 10, 1888, until July 19, 1897, had served in the 2d Company during the Civil War, and had subsequently been Captain of the 1st Co. (in 1880). On Oct. 8, 1888, just before Col. Mathews’ election, the regiment took part in a general mobilization of militia in Boston. On Thanksgiving day, Nov. 28, 1889, the Boston companies were assembled at the armories in readiness for service in maintaining public order at a great fire then raging. Fortunately they did not have to leave their stations.

Prior to 1890 the Companies had been quartered in various halls and rinks of Boston and the suburbs, Faneuil Hall being the most coveted location, unavailable, however, most of the time, and Boylston Hall, Boylston and Washington Streets, ranking next.

1890 was the date of the South Armory dedication. Massachusetts had entered, after long years of discussion, upon her policy of providing adequate accommodations for her volunteer militia. New York had led the way ten years earlier; and the Massachusetts authorities were especially indebted to the N. Y. 7th for providing an armory after which others could pattern. It is a far cry from the 7th’s building to that on Irvington St., but there is a similarity of type. It must be borne in mind that the South Armory was relatively one of the best in the country when the 1st Regiment occupied it in 1890. Nor had the railroad developed into such a nuisance at that time. The South Armory was the first State armory in Massachusetts; and led the way for the entire series, by means of which our troops are quartered as well as any in the land; its dedication was an important event in military history. Fall River followed, and dedicated her State armory in 1895, Cambridge and New Bedford in 1903, Brockton in 1906, Chelseain 1907, and Taunton in 1917. Chelsea and Brockton subsequently lost their buildings by fire; the structures were rebuilt respectively in 1909 and 1912.

Col. Mathews’ command served as personal escort to Gov. William E. Russell, Feb. 29, 1892, at the ceremony of presenting Massachusetts’ first long-service medals. Amongst others, twenty-eight officers and men of the 1st received medals.

An artillery tour was held at Fort Warren, Aug. 7 to 13, 1892, when the men had practice on the eight-inch muzzle-loading converted rifles and the fifteen-inch muzzle-loading smooth-bores. Modern coast artillery had not yet “arrived”; but the regiment was making progress. In 1893 they encamped at Framingham and manned “Battery Dalton” once more. In 1895 they had their last experience with these twelve-inch mortars—and the sand-bank five hundred yards away; 1894, 1896 and 1897 saw them at Fort Warren each summer. In 1896 the regulars did not take them seriously and could not “waste time” instructing the militiamen; in 1897, with Lieut. Erasmus M. Weaver temporarily detailed as instructor, the regiment made progress. Thereafter, until 1911, regular officers from the forts added to their other service the duty of visiting the South Armory and coaching the militia regiment.

All twelve companies were ordered to be in readiness on March 10, 1893, for service in connection with the disastrous “Lincoln St. fire,” but were not marched out of the armories.

The state expended $2,500 in 1894 providing a model battery at the South Armory. While crude compared with the huge gun and mortar installed in 1913, to which the name “Battery Lombard” is sometimes given, this earlierartillery installation marked a long advance in drills and instruction.

On Oct. 9, 1894, the regiment again participated in a general mobilization of the militia at Boston. The monument to Robert Gould Shaw, on the Common, was formally dedicated May 31, 1897, and the regiment paraded in honor of the event. One feature of the day recalled certain historic processions of thirty years previously—the New York 7th, in which Col. Shaw had once served, came on to have a share in this demonstration of affection.

On June 1, 1897, by act of the legislature, the regiment received a new name—it became the 1st Regiment of Heavy Artillery. In point of fact it had begun to separate from the 1st Brigade back in Col. Wellington’s time, and had become increasingly committed to the artillery branch; this act of legislation officially recognized a transition which had already taken place. Now the facings on the uniforms could be changed from the blue of infantry to the brighter and more distinctive scarlet. Massachusetts was the first state to have heavy artillery in its militia—the old regiment was again “first.” Companies were rechristened “batteries” in connection with the change of service.

Col. Mathews became Brigadier General on July 19, 1897, and Charles Pfaff succeeded as Colonel on July 28. Col. Pfaff’s military training had been in the Cadets, and as Captain of the 8th Company, Coast Artillery; and he had served four years as Major. To him was to fall the honor of commanding the regiment during its Spanish War service.

There was nothing unexpected about the war with Spain. From the day the “Maine” was destroyed until April 25, when war was declared, more than two months elapsed. Members of the command were in constant readiness during this entire period for the summons which they knew mustcome; and it was well understood that instant mobilization would ensue upon receipt of orders.

But if we had reason to be in readiness, we also had good cause to anticipate danger and hardship. The United States was notorious for lack of preparedness, both by land and sea. On the other hand the might of the Spanish fleet and the fame of the “Spanish infantry” had been so magnified that much popular trepidation existed. Boston anticipated instant attack; merchants and bankers deposited their treasure with inland banks; while real estate owners were insistent that the national government should afford them protection. Col. Pfaff and his men were to volunteer in the belief that they would meet with instant and active fighting. Beyond question the general public drew a deep sigh of relief as the blue-clad column, on that fateful 26th of April, to the music of the “March of the First,” swung steadily down Huntington Ave. The out-of-town commands had left their home stations early and received Godspeed from newsboys and milkmen only. In Boston, however, the display of enthusiasm left nothing to be desired; and demonstrated not only the city’s dependence upon its heavy artillerymen but also its real affection for the red-legged organization. They were paid from April 25.

Besides Col. Pfaff, the regimental officers were: Lt. Col., Charles B. Woodman; Majors, Perlie A. Dyar, George F. Quinby, James A. Frye; Captains, 1st Co., Joseph H. Frothingham; 2d Co., Frederic S. Howes; 3d Co., Albert B. Chick; 4th Co., Joseph L. Gibbs; 5th Co., Walter L. Pratt; 6th Co., Walter E. Lombard; 7th Co., Charles P. Nutter; 8th Co., John Bordman, Jr.; 9th Co., Norris O. Danforth; 10th Co., Charles Williamson; 11th Co., Frederick M. Whiting; 12th Co., Sierra L. Braley. Capt. Braley had been private and corporal in the 3d Reg. during its nine-monthsservice in 1862. He had been 2d Lieutenant in Battery I, 2d Mass. Heavy Art., and in Bat. L, 14th U. S. Colored Art., during 1864 and 1865. From 1866 until 1878 he continuously held commissions in the 3d Reg. and, after 1878, in the 1st, his latest command being the 12th Company. Capt. Braley was the only officer of the regiment to serve in both the Civil and Spanish Wars.

On April 26 the regiment began active duty at Fort Warren, the orders reading that they would encamp there for eight days. Five more days were added to this; and then the command was taken into the U. S. service “for the war.” Since the thirteen days of state duty is added to the total in computing their record, they were the first regiment of the entire nation to begin war service. The Old First still led.

When they left the armory for Fort Warren, there were only six men absent from the command—four sick and two out of the country. Opportunity was later given for men with families to withdraw, if they desired; and all were subjected to a rigid physical examination. Ultimately three per cent. were rejected for disability and eight per cent. excused for family reasons. These vacancies were immediately filled from the throngs of would-be recruits who volunteered. It was a disappointment to the regiment that the War Department never permitted them to increase their numbers to the full war strength; their Spanish War roster bore 751 names.

They started out in the rain on April 26, and it seemed as if it would rain until they returned; during their first six weeks, they were blest with sunshine only three days. By and by, when they had ceased to care, the weather changed and they had sunny days. At Warren they were quartered in wooden buildings, originally election booths in the city;prisoners from Deer Island were imported to assist in erecting these; and some humorist promptly designated them the “3d Corps of Cadets.” While in the state service, the regiment was fed by a caterer, after the fashion then prevalent at Framingham. When they became U. S. soldiers, they messed themselves. All thru this war, ammunition was very scarce indeed. The least a self-respecting military post can do is to fire morning and evening guns; this was possible in 1898 only by cutting cartridges in two and using half-charges. Most of the ordnance was of Civil War vintage, or very slightly more modern.

Spain had been vastly over-rated, and there was very little fight in her. The regiment passed a busy and profitable month at Fort Warren from April 26 to May 30, being mustered into the United States service on May 7. During these weeks the companies or “batteries” attained a high degree of proficiency in both infantry and artillery drill. Shortly after midnight on May 13 the Engineers’ steamer, the “Tourist,” came down the harbor from the Navy Yard to announce that the Spanish fleet had actually been sighted off Nantucket. But men watched in vain for the enemy vessels to appear.

On Memorial day, thru the exigency of service conditions, the companies were moved and distributed along the coast at posts ranging from Portsmouth to New Bedford. Maj. Frye and the Cape companies remained at Warren. Lt. Col. Woodman with the 3d and 11th Companies garrisoned the fort at Clark’s Point, New Bedford, a work which had been in existence since 1857 but which awaited July 23, 1898, and these companies as godfathers, before it was christened Fort Rodman. The Colonel, Headquarters, and the remaining six companies proceeded by boat to various points along the North Shore, at some of which militia field artillerybatteries had previously been on guard, the Colonel himself being stationed at Salem in command of the entire Essex County district. This transfer of troops was accomplished without peril or even discomfort. The 1st and 7th Companies under Maj. Dyar became the garrison at Salem; Maj. Quinby and the 2d Company were at Gloucester; the 6th Company was on Plum Island near Newburyport, and subsequently at Portsmouth; the 5th Company at Marblehead; and the 8th at Nahant as guard of the mining-casemate. Lieuts. E. Dwight Fullerton of the 8th Company and P. Frank Packard of the 2d were specially detailed to duty with the regulars at Fort Columbus, Governor’s Island, New York, and remained there several months. Lieut. Fullerton was called upon to untangle the snarl into which the War Department had gotten with regard to records of sick soldiers in the New York hospitals.

It fell to the lot of certain “batteries” to reconstruct and man ancient earthworks whose history ran back many years. At Salem, Fort Pickering was put in commission; at Gloucester, the old Stage Fort where Myles Standish once came near having a battle; near Portsmouth, Forts Constitution and McClary; and at Marblehead, Fort Sewall. This is very romantic to relate. No doubt the renovated works with their armament of obsolete field pieces could have afforded some protection against Spanish raiders. But those who were called upon to occupy works built for seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth century warfare, and modernize them so as to render them useful under twentieth century conditions, agree in testifying that the romance is all in the narrative and not any in the fact. The 6th Company had at first been stationed in an earthwork on the Plum Island beach which had been constructed by the field battery, whom they relieved; as Plum Island, inJune, is notable chiefly for flies and fleas, this company was glad enough when the transfer to Portsmouth brought the men again on solid ground. Fort Constitution had a long history—it used to be known as Fort William and Mary, and from its ancient magazine came the powder used by the patriots at Bunker Hill; but in 1898 it was a comparatively modern work, and mounted a battery of eight-inch rifles.

This Spanish War service is something of which the regiment are justly proud. On April 26, Col. Pfaff led 99 per cent. of the full militia strength of his command into the harbor forts, itself a conclusive demonstration that the National Guard is a dependable force. Foremost were they in the entire United States to assume their post of duty. First of all volunteers were they to be mustered in; the genius of “The Old First” was in control. Thruout the entire two-hundred-three days of duty they maintained the very highest standards of efficiency and discipline. It noway lessened the credit belonging to these volunteer soldiers that the Spaniards were so wise as to keep at a safe distance from the Massachusetts coast; the warmest kind of a welcome was awaiting them, had they come. When on Nov. 14, the command were mustered out of Federal service and returned to the militia, they had added a most creditable chapter to the long annals of their organization.

In 1899 a tour of duty was performed at Fort Rodman; and so satisfactory did it prove that the post was chosen for the annual coast defence exercises, with one exception, until 1906. In 1902 some companies were stationed at Fort Greble and other Rhode Island posts. The only serious objections to Rodman were the haze and fog, which hang low over Buzzard’s Bay. As a consequence of the Spanish War, the flannel shirt and the khaki suit became part of the regimental uniform. Oct. 14, 1899, the regiment participatedin the ovation to Admiral George Dewey, and at the same time turned their Spanish War flags and colors over to the custody of the State. Col. Pfaff retired as Brigadier General Apr. 20, 1900. His loyal and generous interest in the old regiment has been shown in making possible the publication of this history.

Col. James A. Frye, who commanded the regiment from May 4, 1900, until Jan. 4, 1906, had served as Major during the Spanish War. Upon relinquishing command of the regiment, he became Adj. Gen. of the State. Col. Frye was the one selected to record the services of the command during the Spanish War; and his history will always stand as a worthy monument to his memory.

In 1903 the regiment participated in joint coast defence and naval maneuvers at Portland harbor, of which the chief feature was the long hours. The men were on duty all day and all night, so that sleeping almost became a forgotten art. On June 25, 1903, the Coast Artillery shared in the exercises of dedication around the magnificent statue of their old commander, Gen. Joseph Hooker. Members of the regiment had been foremost in securing the appropriation for the statue; and heartily did they rejoice to see the beautiful bronze by D. C. French which finally crowned their labor.

1903 witnessed the most important national militia legislation since the original militia act of 1792. By the “Dick law,” with amendments added in 1908, the militia really became a national force, with clearly defined liability of service; and the name, National Guard, was officially conferred upon it. Nevertheless Massachusetts continued to call her citizen soldiers Volunteer Militia. 1904 brought the adoption of magazine-rifles.

On Nov. 1, 1905, the regiment was redesignated as the“Corps of Coast Artillery,” a title which has been used by anticipation at various times in this book. Behind the change lay the fact that the War Department had been testing militia heavy or coast artillery; and the latter, in the estimation of the Washington authorities, were not found wanting. A regiment is a closely united body, and is supposed to operate as a unit. A corps, on the contrary, is a group of smaller units associated for administrative purposes, but acting more or less independently in warfare. Tactically a corps is not a unit; each of its members is. Inasmuch as few forts require so much as a full regiment of coast artillery to garrison them, it was deemed best to organize the artillery in smaller units, in companies, better suited to the needs of the average fort. Companies are combined in fort commands of two or more each. Moreover, by 1905, a clear distinction had arisen between coast artillery and heavy artillery; and it was necessary for organizations to decide which branch of the service they would choose. Heavy artillery follows a mobile army, and is used to batter down fortifications. Coast artillery mans the guns and submarine mines of our coast fortifications, and is not a mobile force. A moment’s consideration will convince anyone that the Massachusetts men chose the more exciting branch, when they became coast artillery. The heavy artillery fire from great distances, while themselves entirely out of range of any answering shots, and fire at fixed targets. The coast artillery fire at ships, moving targets possessing the ability to return our shots, who will certainly and quickly “get us” unless we “get them” first. An increase of interest in the scientific side of artillery work immediately followed, and stimulated every officer and enlisted man to do his best. Companies were no longer termed “batteries,” but were given numbers, the designations indicating seniority ofcharter. The band continued to wear the old regimental number “1” on their uniforms.

To the twelve companies of the Corps were, in 1907, assigned regular stations in the fortifications of Boston harbor, to which it would be their duty to repair at once in case of threatened hostilities. As they exercised each summer on the very guns which they would man in actual service, they grew familiar with their work to a degree never before possible. After experimenting at seven different posts, in 1913 the 1st, 2d, 3d, and 6th Companies became part of the garrison of Fort Strong on Long Island (named in honor of Gen. Wm. K. Strong); the 5th, 7th, 8th and 11th Companies were assigned to Fort Andrews; and the 4th, 9th, 10th and 12th Companies to Fort Warren.

Col. Charles P. Nutter commanded the Corps from Jan. 23, 1906, until March 10, 1910; he had been Captain of the 7th Company during the Spanish War. In August, 1907, the companies participated in a general mobilization of militia at Boston in connection with the “old home week” celebration. The War Department now determined to make a slight change in the name of the organization, perhaps in the interest of alphabetic symmetry. Whatever the cause may have been, on Nov. 15, 1907, the words were transposed and the “Corps of Coast Artillery” became the “Coast Artillery Corps.”

It had been so long since the Boston companies were called out to maintain public order at a great fire, that such a contingency was not regarded seriously. Suddenly, on April 12, 1908, as men were returning from Palm Sunday services, they received word that Chelsea was in the clutch of a mammoth conflagration. Vast clouds of smoke could be seen arising on the north-eastern horizon; Boston’s neighbor was indeed stricken.

The 5th Company promptly responded to the call for help; but it was evident that assistance must come from outside; local forces were entirely inadequate to meet the emergency. At 5P. M.the other companies were assembled at their armories; and at 8.30, after eating a hearty supper, they started for their posts of duty. The work was of the usual sort, rescuing property and saving lives, guarding the property from vandals and thieves, and assisting the young, the weak and the aged to places of safety. Only men in uniform command confidence at such a season of disorder; only disciplined men, working together, can accomplish results. Right nobly did the Corps meet its responsibilities during its three days in Chelsea, and many a firm friend did it win for the organization. The 5th Company continued on duty five days longer.

Upon the local company fell an especially cruel test. First, their new State armory came in the path of the flames and was swept to ruins—while the troops, on duty in the streets, were aware that their own civilian clothing in the lockers was going up in smoke. Worse yet, the fire spread until it involved the homes of many militiamen. The soldiers could hardly keep their thoughts on their work, while their own loved ones were in danger, and their own household effects in need of removal to places of safety; their minds wandered homeward—but the men themselves quietly kept their posts. There never has been any question about the discipline of the Corps in seasons of emergency; the 5th Company proved true to the ancient traditions.

The Author

Col. George F. QuinbyCol. E. Dwight FullertonPage 151Page 147

Companies of the Corps had been visiting Washington at inauguration time ever since 1835; and almost the entire command went in honor of T. Roosevelt in 1905; finally, in 1909, the Corps went as a regiment and participated in the inaugural parade of President William H. Taft. Participantsin such a parade invite comparison between themselves and troops from many other states—military critics, such as Maj. Gen. J. Franklin Bell and Brig. Gen. E. M. Weaver, were unanimous in asserting that the Mass. Coast Artillery Corps and the West Point Cadets bore off the palm for fine military appearance, not even the N. Y. 7th doing as well.

By 1909 the Corps had settled in its custom of holding coast defence exercises at the harbor forts; consequently, it was with disappointment and even resentment that they found themselves ordered to serve as infantry in the so-called Cape maneuvers in August of that year. A difference of opinion had arisen between the Adjutant General of Massachusetts and the Corps officers concerning money matters; and this tour of duty was laid on the latter as a penalty. Soldiers must obey orders; however irksome and unwelcome the service, no one in the “blue army” could truthfully say that the “red-legged infantry” fell below their comrades in efficiency.

Col. Walter E. Lombard was in command from March 17, 1910, until Feb. 21, 1915. At the latter date he became a Major General on the retired list. Col. Lombard had been Captain of the 6th Company during the Spanish War.

In June, 1911, the War Department detailed a regular army officer to the Corps as Inspector-instructor, Capt. Russell P. Reeder being the first to perform that duty; at once the standards of instruction were improved, and the artillery work profited greatly from the presence of such a skilled teacher. Sergeant-instructors, four in number, were presently added as assistants to the commissioned officer who performed the chief duties. An immediate result of the Inspector-instructor’s work was the wonderful shooting done by the 4th, 12th and other companies during the 1911 tourof duty. After that date all officers were required to qualify in the technical part of their work by passing regular War Department examinations. The fourth officer to fill this detail, Capt. William H. Wilson, commenced service in Jan., 1915, and soon succeeded in systematizing the work of drill and instruction to a point far beyond anything previously attempted; so that his term of duty brought about a great increase of Corps efficiency. Capt. Wilson was especially qualified for this service in that he had himself been a National Guardsman, and had entered the U. S. army from a New York regiment. Capt. Wilson not only emphasized the artillery work; he also laid stress upon matters thitherto slighted,—company administration, higher infantry, and gunners’ instruction.

Again in March, 1913, the entire Corps made its customary pilgrimage to Washington for the purpose of participating in the Presidential inauguration, this time paying the honor to Woodrow Wilson. As in 1909, so now, they were most enthusiastically praised for their fine military appearance and splendid marching. On May 30, 1913, the Gate City Guard of Atlanta, Ga., visited Boston as guests of the Tigers. 1913 was the fifteenth anniversary of the regiment’s service in the Spanish war; and on Sept. 20, Col. Lombard tendered a review on the Common to the veterans. On that occasion active officers marched with the veterans, in the positions which they had filled fifteen years previously. Lt. Col. Woodman was in command of the veterans, and Col. Lombard marched as Captain of the 6th Company; while Maj. Shedd led the actives. After the parade, there was a collation, followed by motion pictures, in the Armory.

So well had the 5th Company acquitted themselves at the Chelsea fire that they were one of the commands called out to maintain order at Salem when, on June 25, 1914, thatancient city was threatened with destruction; the emergency was similar to that of 1908. To the Chelsea men fell the duty of organizing a huge camp of refugees at Forest River park; and they remained in service seven days.

Joseph Hooker was born Nov. 13, 1814, and exactly one hundred years later, his loyal admirers, among whom were numbered the officers of the Coast Artillery Corps, paraded, and participated in a great meeting at Tremont Temple in honor of his memory. Capt. Isaac P. Gragg, former Captain of the 1st Company, was always the prime mover in organizing celebrations in memory of Hooker, and he justly felt that the event of 1914 was the culmination of his life-work. Alas! Capt. Gragg did not long survive the centennial of his beloved commander.

Edward Dwight Fullerton was elected Colonel Feb. 9, 1915, and continued in command until retired as Brigadier General, January 16, 1917; he had served as 1st Lieutenant of the 8th Company during the Spanish War.

The “House of Governors” was in session at Boston in Aug., 1915, and Gov. David I. Walsh ordered a mobilization of the militia on Aug. 26, as a compliment to the State’s guests. As the authorized strength of the companies had recently been raised, the Boston papers commented upon the appearance of the Corps, in fifteen platoons of twenty files, as “wonderful,” not only for numbers, but for steady marching.

President Wilson called the militia out for service on the Mexican border June 18, 1916. Massachusetts shared with New Jersey the honor of placing her full quota of organizations at the post of danger in the shortest time; and since the Massachusetts quota was far larger than that of New Jersey, her record was the more creditable. On the ninth day after the troops were summoned to arms, they started forTexas. Of course the Coast Artillery could not be included in this great national mobilization, as they might not safely be spared from their stations at the forts. But on June 26, the day the mobile troops started south, the officers and non-commissioned officers of the Corps were assembled at the Framingham mobilization camp (“Camp Whitney”) for the purpose of drilling the hundreds of recruits there gathered. The officers and non-commissioned officers of the 6th Inf. also took part in this work of instruction. No recruits for Mass. regiments ever constituted a finer personnel than those eager to have a share in the Mexican service. Coming from all over the state, they were uniformly willing, sober, and quick to learn, in order that they might reach the front as soon as possible. The Corps became responsible for the “2d Provisional Regiment,” consisting of about one thousand men, destined for the 8th and 9th Inf. Regiments, and also for the cavalry, machine-guns, supply companies, field artillery, and even for the regimental bands. Wonderfully rapid progress was made, so that in two weeks, the recruits were equipped, and drilled, and ready to go forward. The Corps’ recent training in company administration stood them in good stead and made possible such rapid work. Certain officers of the Corps were drafted into the U. S. service, in order to accompany the recruits on the southward journey.

With grave disorder on the Mexican border, and with the greatest war of the world’s history approaching its crisis abroad, conditions were once more favorable for Congressional action in behalf of the militia. Since threatenings of danger were loud and insistent, the legislators were induced to take an additional forward step in rendering America’s citizen-soldiers efficient. The National Defence Act, as the new law was termed, completed the process of federalization by placing the militia fully under War Department control,and also provided a modest rate of remuneration for armory drills, thus making it an object for men to maintain regular attendance. Massachusetts had done what she could to encourage the passage of the law, by herself adopting, during the prolonged debate on the National Defence Act, a State law offering to hand over her militia to the Federal government. Indeed by her provision for remunerating men for attendance at rendezvous drills, the Commonwealth had taken her place beside Ohio five years previously as a pioneer in paying her militia. The legislation became effective on June 3, 1916, and went fully into operation on the first of the ensuing month.

Right in the midst of their tour, on June 30, the officers and men were asked to take the new Federal oath, under provisions of this act. To the officers the oath was administered at Framingham, while the enlisted men were assembled in their armories that night, for the purpose of swearing in. Almost without exception, and then always with valid excuse, the members of the Corps assumed this additional obligation and became Federal soldiers. Headquarters, band, enlisted specialists, and twelve companies—the entire Corps—were, on June 30, recognized by the War Department as federalized National Guardsmen and were entered upon the U. S. payrolls. Of all the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, the Coast Artillery Corps were the only organization to comply fully with the new requirements and be recognized as a unit.

Companies of the Corps volunteered their services in connection with exhibitions for the benefit of the Mass. Volunteer Aid Association, which was raising funds to relieve distress amongst the families of National Guardsmen then at the border. An unusually fine military display was given at the ball-grounds in connection with a benefit ball-gamebetween the Red Sox and the St. Louis teams on July 17.

Many Corps officers were detailed for recruiting duty during the summer and autumn of 1916, in an effort to raise the numbers of the regiments at the border to full war-strength. Consequently the coast defence exercises at the forts in August, 1916, were seriously handicapped. Many men were forced to perform double duty. In spite of this limitation, splendid artillery scores were made by the 2d, the 6th and other Companies, the 6th Company earning the coveted Knox trophy.

Successive steps followed rapidly during the summer and autumn of 1916 to render effective the process of federalization. By order of Gov. Samuel W. McCall on July 17, the title “Massachusetts Volunteer Militia” was discontinued, and the force redesignated “National Guard, Massachusetts.” In October the War Department authorized the companies to increase their strength from seventy-eight to one hundred twelve officers and men; new regulations established standards of drill and instruction with which organizations must comply in order to qualify for pay; a National Guard reserve was created by transfer of men who had completed their three years of active service; promotion requirements were established for officers; and an assistant Inspector-instructor was detailed to the Corps, Capt. Hugh S. Brown taking his place beside Capt. Wilson. While the new National Guard regulations raised the standard and “tightened the reins,” it is a tribute to the high grade of efficiency already attained by the Corps that Federal control caused no revolutionary changes of method in the organization. As part of the federalizing process, on Dec. 9, 1916, the Militia Bureau of the War Department redesignated the command, and abolished the word Corps from its title.Thereafter it was the “Massachusetts Coast Artillery, National Guard.” On January 16, 1917, the organization received back its old and well-loved designation, and became the 1st Coast Defense Command, Massachusetts Coast Artillery, N. G.; once more Massachusetts could speak about her senior regiment as “The Old First.”

George F. Quinby, a former Lieutenant of the 7th Company and Captain of the 2d Company, and Major during the Spanish War, became Colonel, January 20, 1917. The events of Col. Quinby’s administration,—our break with Germany on February 3, the “armed neutrality,” the 5th Company’s good fortune in being first of all the command to engage in active service when, for twenty-four hours they guarded the electric power-system of Chelsea against hostile interference, the declaration of war on Good Friday, April 6, and the Old First’s service in the war, the revival and establishment of compulsory universal military service—must form the subject-matter of another chapter to be written at some later day.

If it is a long time from 1784 to 1917, it is also a long way from the independent companies of artillery and light infantry of the earlier time to the present Coast Artillery; the militia of one hundred thirty years ago could not recognize itself in the National Guard of today. When in 1792 Congress passed the first militia law, it commenced a process of federalization which was to progress by successive stages until its completion in the National Defence Act of 1916; with federalization came efficiency.

In the beginning, volunteer companies which owned uniforms separated themselves from the train-band of their day, and assumed duties and responsibilities outside of what the State demanded from every citizen. The train-band drilled not more than four times a year, and mainly on the fourth Wednesday of May—the volunteers at least thrice or fourfold that amount. In order the more easily to distinguish themselves from the train-band, the volunteers became artillery or light infantry or grenadiers or rifles or cavalry; and each class sought proficiency in some special kind of drill.

Boston’s companies of artillery were associated in a small battalion several years before the light infantry companies were willing to relinquish their independence; and so our regimental history begins in the artillery branch. Presently, in the days of the “legionary brigade,” regimental spirit began to manifest itself among the light infantry companies, resulting in the Sub-legion of light infantry. Theartillery battalion became most famous as the “Fighting First” of Civil War times, and is today primarily represented by the 1st Company. From the light infantry Sub-legion there ultimately developed the old “Tiger” 1st Regiment, of which the 2d Company is today the senior representative. Presently a drift set in from the infantry command to the artillery regiment, one company transferring after another, until even the regimental number itself passed from the former to the latter; this process is illustrated by the career of the 3d Company. Eventually Plymouth and Bristol counties made their valuable contribution to the regimental composition—the remnants of the 3d and 4th Regiments—as represented today by the 4th Company. The consolidation of 1878 welded all these elements into a single, compact, unified body, the Coast Artillery of today. While the old regiment have come under complete Federal control, and hold place in the first line of the U. S. Army, they have not in the least abated their life-long loyalty to the State which gave them birth.

“The National Guard is not only the reserve for the regular army; it is also the reserve for the police, the fire department, and life-saving service. Its members are genuine soldiers of peace.” (Curtis Guild.) Twelve different times have units of the regiment been called out by the Commonwealth to maintain public order. On many other occasions the companies were warned to be in readiness; indeed the headquarters of the command is the most sensitive barometer for registering the approach of social disorder. Twelve times the companies actually marched forth. Curtis Guild’s remark about the militia was intended to apply especially to military service in connection with great and disastrous conflagrations; five times have the regiment performed such duty.

But after all, it is war-time which tests the soldier. If he fails to respond in his country’s hour of need, his other virtues are of small value. Measured by this test, regimental patriotism has shown itself to be trustworthy. In the days just prior to the attack upon Fort Sumpter, there were in existence seventeen companies which were destined sometime to become associated in the present Coast Artillery. In the seventeen companies were twelve hundred members. By some process of magic, of patriotic magic, when the alarm of war sounded, the twelve hundred militiamen multiplied themselves into no less than seven thousand five hundred volunteers. The “Old First” never failed in seasons of public need; they were always a fighting regiment.

“Vigilantia,” the regimental motto, is another name for watchfulness, for preparedness. As if the choice of a motto were prophetic, or at least significant of the regimental character, the Coast Artillery have always managed to be so fully prepared that they were able to get into active service amongst the very leaders. No troops were more prompt in reaching the post of danger than the “minute men of ’61”; and amongst them were our companies in the 3d and 4th and 5th and 6th Regiments. A few weeks later the 1st Mass. wasthefirst long-term regiment to be mustered in thruout the entire United States, the first not only in the Civil War, but in any war. Again in 1898, when National Guard regiments everywhere were actively competing for priority in volunteering, the “1st Heavies” managed to reach their station at Fort Warren, and then to be mustered in as a regiment, before any of their rivals in Massachusetts or elsewhere. Three times, at least, was “Vigilantia” translated into action.


Back to IndexNext