CHAPTER V

CHAPTER V[The brethren of St. John of God began their labors at Cavite, in November of 1641. Corcuera provided lodgings for them in the royal buildings, and the inhabitants contributed so liberally that they were able to open a hospital of ten beds; but so great was the number of applicants for its aid that in January following, the hospital brethren asked for and received the surrender (January 30) to their management of the royal hospital at Cavite, with all its property and slaves—provided that within four years they obtain the royal confirmation of this grant. An inventory of this hospital and its equipmentis more curious than edifying: “The house which served as a hospital was of wood and piles, covered with tiling that was old and in bad condition; for dispensary [botica], it had a wooden framework containing various gallipots, vials, and earthen jars. In the infirmary were sixteen mattresses, ten pillows, twenty-seven sheets, two coverlets, and fourteen blankets; and its larder contained eighty cabans of rice, forty gantas of oil, fifteen arrobas of sugar, and four jars of conserves. For divine worship it had a box for an altar, hardly fit [for such use]; a chalice with its paten, without any ornament; a bell of medium size, and two small ones. For its service, it had some slaves, five men and seven women. As for revenues, it had three and a half residence lots and two lots occupied by shops, which yielded twenty-six pesos and [word omitted?] granos a month; also some woodlands, and a grazing tract in Leyton, a place near the said port, with several head of horses and cattle. The most important [of its assets] were the deliveries made from the [royal] storehouses, for these were permanent; they had been ordered when the said hospital was in charge of the religious of our seraphic father St. Francis.” These supplies, as appears from the records of the treasury board of Manila, had been furnished since January 12, 1619, at the request of the Franciscans in charge of the Cavite hospital. They asked, for immediate use, for “a dozen blankets, a dozen cupping-glasses, two syringes, two pairs of Castilian scissors, two clasp-knives, six lancets, two scarifiers; some wool for mattresses; two books, one entitledDe Medicina, by the author Barrios, and the other by Dioscorides; four arrobasof Castilian wine; a barrel of raisins and almonds; and half an arroba ofrosadosugar.”3For regular annual supplies, they asked two hundred fanegas of cleaned rice, as hitherto they had had no amount allotted for the hospital; six hundred fowls, since they received only little more than two hundred a year from those assigned them by his Majesty in Balayán; and three hundred pesos from the royal treasury, to be spent for meat, sugar, flour, and eggs, drugs from China, clothing for the slaves and servants, and other needs of the hospital. All these were granted them, and paid regularly until the hospital was placed in charge of the Order of St. John of God (1642); “from that time there was a gradual diminution, to such an extent that, by another general conference of the treasury officials in 1657 the whole was reduced, so that by way of contribution [from the government] only two hundred pesos should be given, in the articles which should be required each year, and this [only] in the interval until other provision should be made.” At the time when Maldonado wrote, all government aid had been taken away; moreover, in 1645 the brethren had been obliged to vacate the royal buildings, in which they had been conducting the Cavite hospital, and were incommodiously quartered in some poor shops of the Sangleys; but in October of that year the authorities granted them the use of an empty building belonging to his Majesty; it was constructed of nipa and bamboo, and had been occupied by some fishermen. The Cavite hospital was rebuiltfour times by the brethren of St. John: “the first time, by the reverend father Fray Francisco de Magallanes, which lasted until the year 1682; the second, by the reverend father Fray Marcos de Mesa, a priest of the order, which lasted until the year 1699; the third, by the reverend father Fray Juan de Alarcòn, a priest, which lasted until the year 1728; and lastly, the one which is being built by the present superior, Fray Antonio de Arçe. There is no doubt that this will be established in so good order that it will be an improvement on the previous ones; and meanwhile a house has been made ready, with sufficient space for lodgings. This was given as a contribution by Captain Don Miguel Cordero; and in it are maintained eight beds, and the corresponding offices. The title of this hospital always was, and still is, that of St. Joseph. All its receipts in the year hardly reach two hundred and sixty pesos, a support so scanty that it is not necessary to emphasize the straitened manner in which the religious who minister in it must support themselves; the one who directs it has the appointment of prior.” The sick soldiers and seamen at Cavite are sent to the royal hospital of Manila for treatment; if the money which they cost there were handed over to the Cavite hospital it could take better care of them than they now receive.]

CHAPTER V[The brethren of St. John of God began their labors at Cavite, in November of 1641. Corcuera provided lodgings for them in the royal buildings, and the inhabitants contributed so liberally that they were able to open a hospital of ten beds; but so great was the number of applicants for its aid that in January following, the hospital brethren asked for and received the surrender (January 30) to their management of the royal hospital at Cavite, with all its property and slaves—provided that within four years they obtain the royal confirmation of this grant. An inventory of this hospital and its equipmentis more curious than edifying: “The house which served as a hospital was of wood and piles, covered with tiling that was old and in bad condition; for dispensary [botica], it had a wooden framework containing various gallipots, vials, and earthen jars. In the infirmary were sixteen mattresses, ten pillows, twenty-seven sheets, two coverlets, and fourteen blankets; and its larder contained eighty cabans of rice, forty gantas of oil, fifteen arrobas of sugar, and four jars of conserves. For divine worship it had a box for an altar, hardly fit [for such use]; a chalice with its paten, without any ornament; a bell of medium size, and two small ones. For its service, it had some slaves, five men and seven women. As for revenues, it had three and a half residence lots and two lots occupied by shops, which yielded twenty-six pesos and [word omitted?] granos a month; also some woodlands, and a grazing tract in Leyton, a place near the said port, with several head of horses and cattle. The most important [of its assets] were the deliveries made from the [royal] storehouses, for these were permanent; they had been ordered when the said hospital was in charge of the religious of our seraphic father St. Francis.” These supplies, as appears from the records of the treasury board of Manila, had been furnished since January 12, 1619, at the request of the Franciscans in charge of the Cavite hospital. They asked, for immediate use, for “a dozen blankets, a dozen cupping-glasses, two syringes, two pairs of Castilian scissors, two clasp-knives, six lancets, two scarifiers; some wool for mattresses; two books, one entitledDe Medicina, by the author Barrios, and the other by Dioscorides; four arrobasof Castilian wine; a barrel of raisins and almonds; and half an arroba ofrosadosugar.”3For regular annual supplies, they asked two hundred fanegas of cleaned rice, as hitherto they had had no amount allotted for the hospital; six hundred fowls, since they received only little more than two hundred a year from those assigned them by his Majesty in Balayán; and three hundred pesos from the royal treasury, to be spent for meat, sugar, flour, and eggs, drugs from China, clothing for the slaves and servants, and other needs of the hospital. All these were granted them, and paid regularly until the hospital was placed in charge of the Order of St. John of God (1642); “from that time there was a gradual diminution, to such an extent that, by another general conference of the treasury officials in 1657 the whole was reduced, so that by way of contribution [from the government] only two hundred pesos should be given, in the articles which should be required each year, and this [only] in the interval until other provision should be made.” At the time when Maldonado wrote, all government aid had been taken away; moreover, in 1645 the brethren had been obliged to vacate the royal buildings, in which they had been conducting the Cavite hospital, and were incommodiously quartered in some poor shops of the Sangleys; but in October of that year the authorities granted them the use of an empty building belonging to his Majesty; it was constructed of nipa and bamboo, and had been occupied by some fishermen. The Cavite hospital was rebuiltfour times by the brethren of St. John: “the first time, by the reverend father Fray Francisco de Magallanes, which lasted until the year 1682; the second, by the reverend father Fray Marcos de Mesa, a priest of the order, which lasted until the year 1699; the third, by the reverend father Fray Juan de Alarcòn, a priest, which lasted until the year 1728; and lastly, the one which is being built by the present superior, Fray Antonio de Arçe. There is no doubt that this will be established in so good order that it will be an improvement on the previous ones; and meanwhile a house has been made ready, with sufficient space for lodgings. This was given as a contribution by Captain Don Miguel Cordero; and in it are maintained eight beds, and the corresponding offices. The title of this hospital always was, and still is, that of St. Joseph. All its receipts in the year hardly reach two hundred and sixty pesos, a support so scanty that it is not necessary to emphasize the straitened manner in which the religious who minister in it must support themselves; the one who directs it has the appointment of prior.” The sick soldiers and seamen at Cavite are sent to the royal hospital of Manila for treatment; if the money which they cost there were handed over to the Cavite hospital it could take better care of them than they now receive.]

CHAPTER V[The brethren of St. John of God began their labors at Cavite, in November of 1641. Corcuera provided lodgings for them in the royal buildings, and the inhabitants contributed so liberally that they were able to open a hospital of ten beds; but so great was the number of applicants for its aid that in January following, the hospital brethren asked for and received the surrender (January 30) to their management of the royal hospital at Cavite, with all its property and slaves—provided that within four years they obtain the royal confirmation of this grant. An inventory of this hospital and its equipmentis more curious than edifying: “The house which served as a hospital was of wood and piles, covered with tiling that was old and in bad condition; for dispensary [botica], it had a wooden framework containing various gallipots, vials, and earthen jars. In the infirmary were sixteen mattresses, ten pillows, twenty-seven sheets, two coverlets, and fourteen blankets; and its larder contained eighty cabans of rice, forty gantas of oil, fifteen arrobas of sugar, and four jars of conserves. For divine worship it had a box for an altar, hardly fit [for such use]; a chalice with its paten, without any ornament; a bell of medium size, and two small ones. For its service, it had some slaves, five men and seven women. As for revenues, it had three and a half residence lots and two lots occupied by shops, which yielded twenty-six pesos and [word omitted?] granos a month; also some woodlands, and a grazing tract in Leyton, a place near the said port, with several head of horses and cattle. The most important [of its assets] were the deliveries made from the [royal] storehouses, for these were permanent; they had been ordered when the said hospital was in charge of the religious of our seraphic father St. Francis.” These supplies, as appears from the records of the treasury board of Manila, had been furnished since January 12, 1619, at the request of the Franciscans in charge of the Cavite hospital. They asked, for immediate use, for “a dozen blankets, a dozen cupping-glasses, two syringes, two pairs of Castilian scissors, two clasp-knives, six lancets, two scarifiers; some wool for mattresses; two books, one entitledDe Medicina, by the author Barrios, and the other by Dioscorides; four arrobasof Castilian wine; a barrel of raisins and almonds; and half an arroba ofrosadosugar.”3For regular annual supplies, they asked two hundred fanegas of cleaned rice, as hitherto they had had no amount allotted for the hospital; six hundred fowls, since they received only little more than two hundred a year from those assigned them by his Majesty in Balayán; and three hundred pesos from the royal treasury, to be spent for meat, sugar, flour, and eggs, drugs from China, clothing for the slaves and servants, and other needs of the hospital. All these were granted them, and paid regularly until the hospital was placed in charge of the Order of St. John of God (1642); “from that time there was a gradual diminution, to such an extent that, by another general conference of the treasury officials in 1657 the whole was reduced, so that by way of contribution [from the government] only two hundred pesos should be given, in the articles which should be required each year, and this [only] in the interval until other provision should be made.” At the time when Maldonado wrote, all government aid had been taken away; moreover, in 1645 the brethren had been obliged to vacate the royal buildings, in which they had been conducting the Cavite hospital, and were incommodiously quartered in some poor shops of the Sangleys; but in October of that year the authorities granted them the use of an empty building belonging to his Majesty; it was constructed of nipa and bamboo, and had been occupied by some fishermen. The Cavite hospital was rebuiltfour times by the brethren of St. John: “the first time, by the reverend father Fray Francisco de Magallanes, which lasted until the year 1682; the second, by the reverend father Fray Marcos de Mesa, a priest of the order, which lasted until the year 1699; the third, by the reverend father Fray Juan de Alarcòn, a priest, which lasted until the year 1728; and lastly, the one which is being built by the present superior, Fray Antonio de Arçe. There is no doubt that this will be established in so good order that it will be an improvement on the previous ones; and meanwhile a house has been made ready, with sufficient space for lodgings. This was given as a contribution by Captain Don Miguel Cordero; and in it are maintained eight beds, and the corresponding offices. The title of this hospital always was, and still is, that of St. Joseph. All its receipts in the year hardly reach two hundred and sixty pesos, a support so scanty that it is not necessary to emphasize the straitened manner in which the religious who minister in it must support themselves; the one who directs it has the appointment of prior.” The sick soldiers and seamen at Cavite are sent to the royal hospital of Manila for treatment; if the money which they cost there were handed over to the Cavite hospital it could take better care of them than they now receive.]

CHAPTER V[The brethren of St. John of God began their labors at Cavite, in November of 1641. Corcuera provided lodgings for them in the royal buildings, and the inhabitants contributed so liberally that they were able to open a hospital of ten beds; but so great was the number of applicants for its aid that in January following, the hospital brethren asked for and received the surrender (January 30) to their management of the royal hospital at Cavite, with all its property and slaves—provided that within four years they obtain the royal confirmation of this grant. An inventory of this hospital and its equipmentis more curious than edifying: “The house which served as a hospital was of wood and piles, covered with tiling that was old and in bad condition; for dispensary [botica], it had a wooden framework containing various gallipots, vials, and earthen jars. In the infirmary were sixteen mattresses, ten pillows, twenty-seven sheets, two coverlets, and fourteen blankets; and its larder contained eighty cabans of rice, forty gantas of oil, fifteen arrobas of sugar, and four jars of conserves. For divine worship it had a box for an altar, hardly fit [for such use]; a chalice with its paten, without any ornament; a bell of medium size, and two small ones. For its service, it had some slaves, five men and seven women. As for revenues, it had three and a half residence lots and two lots occupied by shops, which yielded twenty-six pesos and [word omitted?] granos a month; also some woodlands, and a grazing tract in Leyton, a place near the said port, with several head of horses and cattle. The most important [of its assets] were the deliveries made from the [royal] storehouses, for these were permanent; they had been ordered when the said hospital was in charge of the religious of our seraphic father St. Francis.” These supplies, as appears from the records of the treasury board of Manila, had been furnished since January 12, 1619, at the request of the Franciscans in charge of the Cavite hospital. They asked, for immediate use, for “a dozen blankets, a dozen cupping-glasses, two syringes, two pairs of Castilian scissors, two clasp-knives, six lancets, two scarifiers; some wool for mattresses; two books, one entitledDe Medicina, by the author Barrios, and the other by Dioscorides; four arrobasof Castilian wine; a barrel of raisins and almonds; and half an arroba ofrosadosugar.”3For regular annual supplies, they asked two hundred fanegas of cleaned rice, as hitherto they had had no amount allotted for the hospital; six hundred fowls, since they received only little more than two hundred a year from those assigned them by his Majesty in Balayán; and three hundred pesos from the royal treasury, to be spent for meat, sugar, flour, and eggs, drugs from China, clothing for the slaves and servants, and other needs of the hospital. All these were granted them, and paid regularly until the hospital was placed in charge of the Order of St. John of God (1642); “from that time there was a gradual diminution, to such an extent that, by another general conference of the treasury officials in 1657 the whole was reduced, so that by way of contribution [from the government] only two hundred pesos should be given, in the articles which should be required each year, and this [only] in the interval until other provision should be made.” At the time when Maldonado wrote, all government aid had been taken away; moreover, in 1645 the brethren had been obliged to vacate the royal buildings, in which they had been conducting the Cavite hospital, and were incommodiously quartered in some poor shops of the Sangleys; but in October of that year the authorities granted them the use of an empty building belonging to his Majesty; it was constructed of nipa and bamboo, and had been occupied by some fishermen. The Cavite hospital was rebuiltfour times by the brethren of St. John: “the first time, by the reverend father Fray Francisco de Magallanes, which lasted until the year 1682; the second, by the reverend father Fray Marcos de Mesa, a priest of the order, which lasted until the year 1699; the third, by the reverend father Fray Juan de Alarcòn, a priest, which lasted until the year 1728; and lastly, the one which is being built by the present superior, Fray Antonio de Arçe. There is no doubt that this will be established in so good order that it will be an improvement on the previous ones; and meanwhile a house has been made ready, with sufficient space for lodgings. This was given as a contribution by Captain Don Miguel Cordero; and in it are maintained eight beds, and the corresponding offices. The title of this hospital always was, and still is, that of St. Joseph. All its receipts in the year hardly reach two hundred and sixty pesos, a support so scanty that it is not necessary to emphasize the straitened manner in which the religious who minister in it must support themselves; the one who directs it has the appointment of prior.” The sick soldiers and seamen at Cavite are sent to the royal hospital of Manila for treatment; if the money which they cost there were handed over to the Cavite hospital it could take better care of them than they now receive.]

CHAPTER V

[The brethren of St. John of God began their labors at Cavite, in November of 1641. Corcuera provided lodgings for them in the royal buildings, and the inhabitants contributed so liberally that they were able to open a hospital of ten beds; but so great was the number of applicants for its aid that in January following, the hospital brethren asked for and received the surrender (January 30) to their management of the royal hospital at Cavite, with all its property and slaves—provided that within four years they obtain the royal confirmation of this grant. An inventory of this hospital and its equipmentis more curious than edifying: “The house which served as a hospital was of wood and piles, covered with tiling that was old and in bad condition; for dispensary [botica], it had a wooden framework containing various gallipots, vials, and earthen jars. In the infirmary were sixteen mattresses, ten pillows, twenty-seven sheets, two coverlets, and fourteen blankets; and its larder contained eighty cabans of rice, forty gantas of oil, fifteen arrobas of sugar, and four jars of conserves. For divine worship it had a box for an altar, hardly fit [for such use]; a chalice with its paten, without any ornament; a bell of medium size, and two small ones. For its service, it had some slaves, five men and seven women. As for revenues, it had three and a half residence lots and two lots occupied by shops, which yielded twenty-six pesos and [word omitted?] granos a month; also some woodlands, and a grazing tract in Leyton, a place near the said port, with several head of horses and cattle. The most important [of its assets] were the deliveries made from the [royal] storehouses, for these were permanent; they had been ordered when the said hospital was in charge of the religious of our seraphic father St. Francis.” These supplies, as appears from the records of the treasury board of Manila, had been furnished since January 12, 1619, at the request of the Franciscans in charge of the Cavite hospital. They asked, for immediate use, for “a dozen blankets, a dozen cupping-glasses, two syringes, two pairs of Castilian scissors, two clasp-knives, six lancets, two scarifiers; some wool for mattresses; two books, one entitledDe Medicina, by the author Barrios, and the other by Dioscorides; four arrobasof Castilian wine; a barrel of raisins and almonds; and half an arroba ofrosadosugar.”3For regular annual supplies, they asked two hundred fanegas of cleaned rice, as hitherto they had had no amount allotted for the hospital; six hundred fowls, since they received only little more than two hundred a year from those assigned them by his Majesty in Balayán; and three hundred pesos from the royal treasury, to be spent for meat, sugar, flour, and eggs, drugs from China, clothing for the slaves and servants, and other needs of the hospital. All these were granted them, and paid regularly until the hospital was placed in charge of the Order of St. John of God (1642); “from that time there was a gradual diminution, to such an extent that, by another general conference of the treasury officials in 1657 the whole was reduced, so that by way of contribution [from the government] only two hundred pesos should be given, in the articles which should be required each year, and this [only] in the interval until other provision should be made.” At the time when Maldonado wrote, all government aid had been taken away; moreover, in 1645 the brethren had been obliged to vacate the royal buildings, in which they had been conducting the Cavite hospital, and were incommodiously quartered in some poor shops of the Sangleys; but in October of that year the authorities granted them the use of an empty building belonging to his Majesty; it was constructed of nipa and bamboo, and had been occupied by some fishermen. The Cavite hospital was rebuiltfour times by the brethren of St. John: “the first time, by the reverend father Fray Francisco de Magallanes, which lasted until the year 1682; the second, by the reverend father Fray Marcos de Mesa, a priest of the order, which lasted until the year 1699; the third, by the reverend father Fray Juan de Alarcòn, a priest, which lasted until the year 1728; and lastly, the one which is being built by the present superior, Fray Antonio de Arçe. There is no doubt that this will be established in so good order that it will be an improvement on the previous ones; and meanwhile a house has been made ready, with sufficient space for lodgings. This was given as a contribution by Captain Don Miguel Cordero; and in it are maintained eight beds, and the corresponding offices. The title of this hospital always was, and still is, that of St. Joseph. All its receipts in the year hardly reach two hundred and sixty pesos, a support so scanty that it is not necessary to emphasize the straitened manner in which the religious who minister in it must support themselves; the one who directs it has the appointment of prior.” The sick soldiers and seamen at Cavite are sent to the royal hospital of Manila for treatment; if the money which they cost there were handed over to the Cavite hospital it could take better care of them than they now receive.]

[The brethren of St. John of God began their labors at Cavite, in November of 1641. Corcuera provided lodgings for them in the royal buildings, and the inhabitants contributed so liberally that they were able to open a hospital of ten beds; but so great was the number of applicants for its aid that in January following, the hospital brethren asked for and received the surrender (January 30) to their management of the royal hospital at Cavite, with all its property and slaves—provided that within four years they obtain the royal confirmation of this grant. An inventory of this hospital and its equipmentis more curious than edifying: “The house which served as a hospital was of wood and piles, covered with tiling that was old and in bad condition; for dispensary [botica], it had a wooden framework containing various gallipots, vials, and earthen jars. In the infirmary were sixteen mattresses, ten pillows, twenty-seven sheets, two coverlets, and fourteen blankets; and its larder contained eighty cabans of rice, forty gantas of oil, fifteen arrobas of sugar, and four jars of conserves. For divine worship it had a box for an altar, hardly fit [for such use]; a chalice with its paten, without any ornament; a bell of medium size, and two small ones. For its service, it had some slaves, five men and seven women. As for revenues, it had three and a half residence lots and two lots occupied by shops, which yielded twenty-six pesos and [word omitted?] granos a month; also some woodlands, and a grazing tract in Leyton, a place near the said port, with several head of horses and cattle. The most important [of its assets] were the deliveries made from the [royal] storehouses, for these were permanent; they had been ordered when the said hospital was in charge of the religious of our seraphic father St. Francis.” These supplies, as appears from the records of the treasury board of Manila, had been furnished since January 12, 1619, at the request of the Franciscans in charge of the Cavite hospital. They asked, for immediate use, for “a dozen blankets, a dozen cupping-glasses, two syringes, two pairs of Castilian scissors, two clasp-knives, six lancets, two scarifiers; some wool for mattresses; two books, one entitledDe Medicina, by the author Barrios, and the other by Dioscorides; four arrobasof Castilian wine; a barrel of raisins and almonds; and half an arroba ofrosadosugar.”3For regular annual supplies, they asked two hundred fanegas of cleaned rice, as hitherto they had had no amount allotted for the hospital; six hundred fowls, since they received only little more than two hundred a year from those assigned them by his Majesty in Balayán; and three hundred pesos from the royal treasury, to be spent for meat, sugar, flour, and eggs, drugs from China, clothing for the slaves and servants, and other needs of the hospital. All these were granted them, and paid regularly until the hospital was placed in charge of the Order of St. John of God (1642); “from that time there was a gradual diminution, to such an extent that, by another general conference of the treasury officials in 1657 the whole was reduced, so that by way of contribution [from the government] only two hundred pesos should be given, in the articles which should be required each year, and this [only] in the interval until other provision should be made.” At the time when Maldonado wrote, all government aid had been taken away; moreover, in 1645 the brethren had been obliged to vacate the royal buildings, in which they had been conducting the Cavite hospital, and were incommodiously quartered in some poor shops of the Sangleys; but in October of that year the authorities granted them the use of an empty building belonging to his Majesty; it was constructed of nipa and bamboo, and had been occupied by some fishermen. The Cavite hospital was rebuiltfour times by the brethren of St. John: “the first time, by the reverend father Fray Francisco de Magallanes, which lasted until the year 1682; the second, by the reverend father Fray Marcos de Mesa, a priest of the order, which lasted until the year 1699; the third, by the reverend father Fray Juan de Alarcòn, a priest, which lasted until the year 1728; and lastly, the one which is being built by the present superior, Fray Antonio de Arçe. There is no doubt that this will be established in so good order that it will be an improvement on the previous ones; and meanwhile a house has been made ready, with sufficient space for lodgings. This was given as a contribution by Captain Don Miguel Cordero; and in it are maintained eight beds, and the corresponding offices. The title of this hospital always was, and still is, that of St. Joseph. All its receipts in the year hardly reach two hundred and sixty pesos, a support so scanty that it is not necessary to emphasize the straitened manner in which the religious who minister in it must support themselves; the one who directs it has the appointment of prior.” The sick soldiers and seamen at Cavite are sent to the royal hospital of Manila for treatment; if the money which they cost there were handed over to the Cavite hospital it could take better care of them than they now receive.]


Back to IndexNext