Description of the Town.

Inentering on our general description of the town, its public buildings naturally claim the first share of attention.  They will be found classed under the heads of Public, Religious, and Charitable erections, and noticed under that order: and whether we consider them in the accommodation which they present for the transaction of the business respectively carried on in them, for the antiquity of some, or for the elegance of their erection, they will no doubt prove sources of recreation to, and well worthy the inspection of, the stranger.

Is supposed to have been founded by Roger de Montgomery, about the year 1068.  It continued in his family until the reign of Henry I, when by the rebellion of earl Robert de Belesme it was forfeited to the king, who committed the care of it to a constable, usually the sheriff, it being then extremely useful for the defence of the adjacent country.

This ancient fortress is built of red stone, on the N.E. part of the isthmus on which the town stands, and being erected on a commanding eminence, wasadmirably calculated to “roll back the tide of war” and to defend Shrewsbury from the frequent incursions of the neighbouring Welsh, who were continually devastating the surrounding country.  When the incorporation of the principality with the English dominions took place, it ceased to enjoy the importance which its situation on the Welsh border had previously given to it; and after experiencing a variety of changes in its masters, it was granted by Charles II. to lord Newport, afterwards earl of Bradford; since which period it became the property of the late venerable sir William Pulteney, bart. who greatly repaired and rendered it a comfortable residence.  Sir William at his death bequeathed it to the right honourable the earl of Darlington, its present possessor.

The history of the Town and the Castle are so intimately connected, that we shall content ourselves with giving a brief description of its ancient and present appearance.  According to Leland, it was fast hastening to decay in the reign of Henry VIII. and indeed it has suffered so much from the ravages of time, rather than from those of war, that it is doubtful what idea to form of its original size; but it is at least probable, when its importance as a border fortress is considered, that it occupied a much larger space than that marked out by its existing walls.

The only buildings remaining are the keep, the walls of the inner court, and the great arch of the interior gate; they are built of red stone, and the former has been converted into a commodious and pleasant dwelling, and is at present occupied by J. C. Pelham, esq.  It consists of two round towers of equal diameter, embattled and pierced, connected by a square building about 100 feet in length and about the same in height, in which are many spacious andexcellent rooms.  At the entrance, which opens on a newly-erected grand staircase, is a statue of Roger de Montgomery.  The arch of the gateway is about 18 feet high, semicircular, and with plain round facings.  Its walls appear to have sustained a tower, from whence hung the portcullis.  The area of the court has latterly been cleared of its buildings, and is now formed into a beautiful garden.  On the circular grass-plot in front of the castle, the newly-elected knights of the shire are girt with their swords by the sheriff, which, as it is an ancient custom, is still permitted, although the castle and its grounds are private property.

In the south corner of this court is a lofty mount, on which is erected a watch tower, now converted into a pleasant summer room, from which is commanded a grand and diversified prospect of uncommon richness and beauty.  The mount, rising abruptly from the margin of the Severn, crowned with its venerable tower, its bold and abrupt bank being richly clothed with the foliage of various species of trees and skirled by the majestic stream which rolls at its base, has also, when viewed from a distance, a beautiful and picturesque appearance.  Shrewsbury, though the most important station on the Welsh border, and though frequently thrown into possession of its enemies, never sustained more than two sieges.  Its natural and artificial strength might probably deter an adverse army from investing it in a regular way, for it was protected not only by its castle, but by

fenced with towers which completely surrounded it.

The first stone rampart extended only across the isthmus to the river on each side, and was raised byRobert de Belesme.  In the reign of Henry III. the inhabitants of this place having suffered greatly during the rebellion of the earl of Pembroke, were exhorted to secure themselves by building a wall entirely round the town, which, by the aid of the royal bounty, was accomplished in 32 years.  An additional rampart, by order of Oliver Cromwell, was constructed, as it is said, from the materials of Shrawardine castle, and extended from the wall of earl Robert at the river’s brink to the Welsh bridge: though now ruinous it forms a tolerable connecting path between the northern and western ends of the town.—Of the old ramparts, those on the northern and eastern sides of the town have long since disappeared; their foundations, which are easy to be traced, form the groundwork of modern houses.  On the south, a considerable portion remains, and part of it is kept in repair as a public walk; but it retains little of its original appearance, having been considerably lowered, and entirely stripped of its battlements.  The towers have been all taken down except one, which stands on this wall, between the bottom of Swan Hill and Belmont.  It is square and embattled, and has two stories, the entrance of the higher being from the top of the wall, through a small pointed arch, which does not appear of older date than the time of Henry IV.  The town, according to Leland, who beheld its fortifications entire, was more than a mile in compass; which extent may probably be a third more in modern computation.  There were formerly three principal

to Shrewsbury; one near the Castle called the North Gate, and one on each of the bridges; that on the east called the Abbey Gate, and that on the west the Welsh Gate.  A part of the southern tower of thenorth gate is the only remain of these once formidable fortifications.

Is situated in High Street, and was erected in 1785 from a design by Mr. Haycock of this town, at an expense of £11,000, which was raised by a county rate.

It is an elegant structure of free stone, presenting a handsome front to the street.  On the front of the pediment, which is supported by four lofty columns of the Ionic order, is a fine figure of Justice inbas relief, seated on a rock, beneath which, over the centre door, are the arms of the town handsomely ornamented with appropriate emblems.

The ground floor consists of a vestibule and two courts, in which the assizes for the county are held.  Under the one appropriated to the crown bar, is a cell, for the reception of prisoners.  A beautiful spiral stone staircase leads to the higher story, where is a large room intended for county meetings, one for the use of the grand jury of the county, with record and other offices for the use of the county and town.

The grand jury room is decorated with portraits of George I. given by Mr. Edward Elisha; of George II. given by Thomas Wingfield, esq.; of George III. and queen Charlotte, given by sir Thomas Jones, bart.; and one of the gallant and celebrated admiral Benbow, given by his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Hind.

Immediately adjoining is

From an inscription over the northern arch it appears that

“The XVth day of June was this building begun, William Jones and Thomas Charlton, Gent. then Bailiffs, and was erected and covered in their time 1595.”

“The XVth day of June was this building begun, William Jones and Thomas Charlton, Gent. then Bailiffs, and was erected and covered in their time 1595.”

It is built entirely of free stone, and is one of the largest of similar erections in the kingdom.  In the centre of the principal front, which faces the west, is a spacious portal, over which are the arms of queen Elizabeth in high relief.  Attached to the imposts of the great arch are pillars, supporting each the figure of a lion bearing a shield on its breast.  Above are two stories, with large square mullioned windows.  On each side this portal is an open arcade, consisting of three spacious round arches, which form the main building, over which is a range of square windows with mullions, and a very rich parapet, consisting of a series of embrazures carved like the Ionic volute, between which at alternate distances, are a kind of grotesque pinnacles in the same style.  At the north and south ends are large open arches, the whole edifice being finished above by sharp pointed gables.

The ground floor of this building is appropriated to the corn market, and is 105 feet long by 24 feet wide.  A room over of similar size was formerly rented by the company of drapers, and used by them for a flannel market on Thursdays; but the sale of that staple article of Welsh manufacture having been removed to Welsh Pool, it has been rented of late as an ironmonger’s warehouse.  Over the northern arch is placed the statue of Richard duke of York, removed hence from the old bridge in 1791, as appears by the inscription at his right hand: on his left are the arms of the town finely sculptured in relief.

Its spacious area is a useful promenade for the inhabitants in bad weather, and its architecture is a fine specimen of the fantastic style of the 16th century.

The splendid achievements of the British army in Spain and Portugal from 1808 to 1814, together with the disastrous retreat of Napoleon from his Russian campaign, and the subsequent occupation of France by the allied troops, having produced a general peace, a proposition appeared in the Shrewsbury Chronicle of December the 17th, 1813, by the Proprietor of that paper, to erect some suitable memorial of the prominent part lord Hill had acted throughout the whole of those eventful campaigns.—At a meeting in the News Room on the following day, nearly £400 was subscribed to carry this intention into effect.  Subsequently, however, it was determined to extend the original plan, a meeting of the inhabitants of the town was called, and it was resolved to solicit subscriptions generally from all who participated in the triumphs of their country, or who felt any respect for the brilliant and varied services of the gallant general.

After a variety of plans had been proposed it was at length determined to erect the column now under notice.  The first stone was laid on the 27th of December, 1814, agreeably to masonic rule, by Richard Phillips, esq. master of the Salopian Lodge, and at that time mayor of Shrewsbury.  The foundation stone, which weighed four tons and a half, is of the following dimensions, viz: length 11 feet 3 inches, breadth 3 feet, and 2 feet thick.  In a cavity underneath, a bottle was deposited, containing gold and silver coins of George III. accompanied with theShrewsbury Chronicleof the preceding Friday.  Over the cavity was a plate bearing the following

INSCRIPTIONOf this Column, intended to be erected to commemorate the brilliant achievements of Lieutenant-GeneralRowland Lord Hill, Knight of the Bath, and Knight of the Tower and Sword.The first Stone was laid byRichard Phillips, Esquire, Mayor of Shrewsbury, and Matter of the Salopian Lodge of free and accepted Masons, assisted by the Chaplain, Wardens, the Brethren of this and Deputies from other Lodges, upon the 27th Day of December, in the year of our Lord, 1814, and in the year of Masonry—5814, being theFestival of St. John.  The funds for this beautiful Memorial, in honour of splendid talent and private worth, were furnished by a public Subscription, raised chiefly by the inhabitants of the town and county of Salop.

INSCRIPTION

Of this Column, intended to be erected to commemorate the brilliant achievements of Lieutenant-GeneralRowland Lord Hill, Knight of the Bath, and Knight of the Tower and Sword.

The first Stone was laid byRichard Phillips, Esquire, Mayor of Shrewsbury, and Matter of the Salopian Lodge of free and accepted Masons, assisted by the Chaplain, Wardens, the Brethren of this and Deputies from other Lodges, upon the 27th Day of December, in the year of our Lord, 1814, and in the year of Masonry—5814, being theFestival of St. John.  The funds for this beautiful Memorial, in honour of splendid talent and private worth, were furnished by a public Subscription, raised chiefly by the inhabitants of the town and county of Salop.

The column is situated on a rising ground, at the entrance of this town from the London and Bath roads.  From its insulated and lofty situation, it is seen from many parts of the town, and is conspicuous at a considerable distance in the country.

FT.

IN.

The height of the pedestal is

13

0

shaft and capital

91

6

pedestal supporting the statue

11

6

statue

16

0

The whole height

132

6

Solidity and durability have been particularly attended to in its construction, the stones with which it has been built, being as large as could conveniently be raised, from an excellent quarry at Grinshill, in the neighbourhood of Shrewsbury.

The pedestal is square, standing upon two steps, having a large pier or buttress at each angle, upon which are placed Lions couchant.  The piers are formed of three stones in each, the top one of each on which the lions are placed, being 10 feet 6 inches long, 4 feet 3 inches wide, and 3 feet 3 inches deep, and their weight 10 tons.  The lower diameter of the column is 15 feet, and the masonry 2 feet 3 inches in thickness; the top diameter 10 feet 6 inches, by 1 foot 6 inches in thickness.  Each course of stones is 3feet high, six stones form the course.  There are 326 stones in the whole structure, and the top stone immediately under the statue, weighs two and a half tons.  There are 17,993 cubic feet in the whole, and its weight is 1120 tons.  There is a beautiful staircase up the shaft, the view of the surrounding country from the top, being most extensive.  The expense was about £5,500.

The proportion of this column is half a diameter higher than those in the portico of the celebrated Parthenon at Athens, and isthe largest Greek doric column in the world.  The figure is designed and executed by Messrs. Coade and Sealy, of London, in their artificial stone, which is so well calculated to resist the action of the weather.  The lions are worked in Grinshill stone, by Mr. Carline of this place.  The contractors were the late Mr. Simpson, and Mr. Lawrence: owing to the death of the former the contract devolved upon his successor Mr. Straphen.  The original design is by Mr. Edward Haycock, architect, of this town, with some alterations in the pedestal by Mr. Harrison, of Chester.

This building, a pleasant and admirably constructed brick edifice, was finished in 1793, at the expense of about £30,000, on a plan furnished by Mr. Haycock, architect, of this town.  It was erected in consequence of the light diffused on the subject of prisons by the later philanthropic Mr. Howard, the old gaol being (says Mr. Howard) “both wretched in its accommodations, and a complete school of vice.”

The prison is situate on the banks of the river, on a dry gravelly soil on the south-east side of the town, in the immediate vicinity of the castle, and is spacious, airy,well supplied with water, and as comfortable as these abodes of human misfortune and depravity possibly can be.

The entrance is through a free stone gateway, having a lodge on each side, over the arch of which is a fine bust of Howard, presented by the late Rowland Hunt, and Thomas Knight, esquires, two county magistrates.  There are reception cells in the lodges for the examination of the persons by the surgeon previous to their being lodged in the different apartments; during their continuance in the prison, criminals wear a woollen jacket, waistcoat and cap, composed of blue and yellow stripes before conviction, after which the dress is changed for one of brown and yellow.  All executions take place on the flat roof of the northern lodge, when all the criminals are brought into the area before the governor’s house to witness the awful scene.  This house, in which is an apartment for the magistrates, faces the entrance gate, in the centre of the west front of the prison.  The chapel, which is a neat octagonal structure, well calculated for the important purposes of its erection, stands in the centre of the whole building, and is so arranged that every class of prisoners is separated and hid from each other, though all may see the officiating clergyman.  The prison, the boundary wall of which encloses two acres of ground, and is 16 feet high, is divided into four principal courts, besides smaller ones, and not only are the sexes separated, but each description of prisoners are subdivided, into classes, which have each their respective courts and day rooms.  The debtor’s rooms are airy and comfortable, commanding many pleasing views of the adjacent country.  At the eastern extremity is the infirmary, near which the under keeper resides, who has constantly for sale various articles manufacturedby the prisoners, the profits of which are applied for their benefit.

Closely allied to the superior construction of the prison are the excellent and judicious regulations for its internal management, which, whilst they tend to ameliorate the condition of the unhappy sufferers, are calculated to reclaim their vicious habits; and should they return to the bosom of society, stimulate them to atone for their depredations on their fellow-creatures, by their honest and exemplary deportment in future.  Prayers are read every Thursday, and a sermon preached every Sunday by the chaplain, and the justices appointed at the quarter sessions visit the different apartments of the prison when they please, and have the power of making any alteration in the mode of treating the criminals which to them may appear judicious.

Convinced that the design of punishment is to prevent the commission of crimes, and to repair the injury that has thereby been done to society or the individual, and that it is the duty of every good government toreformrather thanexterminateoffenders, the exertions of the late Rowland Hunt, esq. were directed to the formation of the following excellent plan, which was instituted in 1797.

First—To enable debtors to gain a livelihood while in confinement; to reward their industry and good behaviour while there; and to furnish them with some implements or materials on quitting prison, the better to support themselves and their families on their return to society.Secondly—To encourage industry, penitence, and orderly behaviour in criminal prisoners; and to furnish with clothes and implements those who on quitting prison receive a certificate of good behaviour.Thirdly—To provide all those who are dismissed, with a small sum for immediate maintenance, to prevent the great temptation of committing a crime for that purpose.

First—To enable debtors to gain a livelihood while in confinement; to reward their industry and good behaviour while there; and to furnish them with some implements or materials on quitting prison, the better to support themselves and their families on their return to society.

Secondly—To encourage industry, penitence, and orderly behaviour in criminal prisoners; and to furnish with clothes and implements those who on quitting prison receive a certificate of good behaviour.

Thirdly—To provide all those who are dismissed, with a small sum for immediate maintenance, to prevent the great temptation of committing a crime for that purpose.

This praiseworthy charity, the subscriptions to which from the county at large amount to about £80 yearly; also distributes bibles and prayer books to the wretched objects of its bounty, and thus endeavours to impress on the minds of these outcasts of society, the sacred lessons of divine wisdom.  The benevolent stranger will perceive in the large outer gate of the prison, two small apertures, and on the other side two boxes are affixed, into one of which he may drop his mite, “to prisoners in a state of reformation,” and in the other “to debtors in a state of industry.”

Is a very handsome brick edifice, erected by government in the year 1806, from a design by Mr. Wyatt, at an expense of about £10,000.  It stands in a piece of ground near St. Giles’s Church, at the east end of the Abbeyforegate.

The principal building is 135 feet by 39, in two stories, and is capable of containing 25,000 stand of arms.  Within the enclosure are two magazines for ammunition, and a small neat house at each angle for the storekeeper, armourer, and subalterns’ guard.—It was intended for the reception of the arms of the volunteer corps of Shropshire and the adjoining counties, but until lately very few arms of any description have been deposited here—in fact it has been a complete sinecure.  Mr. Linton is the present governor.

Called also the Stone Bridge, which connects the suburb of Abbey-foregate with the town, was finished in 1774, from a plan produced by Mr. Gwyn, at an expense of £16,000 raised by public subscription.This bridge, which is 400 feet in length, is built of Grinshill free stone, on seven semicircular arches, and crowned with a fine balustrade.  The central arch is 60 feet in width, and 40 in height from the bed of the river, the two arches at the extremities being 35 feet wide and 20 high.  The breadth between the balustrades is 20 feet.—On the northern front is the head of Sabrina in bas relief and the date of its erection.  Its ornaments are tasteful, and it may justly be classed among the most elegant modern erections in the empire.  Some persons, probably, may conceive that the elevation of the centre is too great, but when they are informed that in the memorable flood of 1795, even the great arch was not more than capacious enough to admit the torrent, they will no doubt be inclined to praise rather than censure the artist, who was actuated by a desire to blend the useful with the ornamental.

Built in the opposite direction to the before named structure, and which received its name as being the grand route into Wales, was finished in 1795, from a design by Messrs. Tilly and Carline of this place.  It consists of five spacious arches with balustrades above, and is 266 feet in length, with a driving road 20 feet wide, and paved on each side, for the convenience of foot passengers, 5 feet.  It is a plain though neat erection, and has a remarkably solid and substantial appearance.

Situated on St. John’s Hill, is a plain brick edifice, formerly a private house, and has been lately purchased by the Committee of the above institution, and fitted up for the purpose of lodging the books belongingto the Society.  The number of subscribers is about 140, who pay annually £1. 11s. 6d. and 2 guineas entrance; but their shares are transferable.  The managers of the society are a president, a treasurer, a committee of twelve, who sit gratuitously, and a librarian at a stipend.  The following are some of the principal laws and regulations:—The library is open for the free use of subscribers five hours every day at the rooms, with the right of having several books at one time at their own houses, a certain number of days.  Forfeits are established and rigorously enforced for detaining and damaging of books.—The method of admitting books is, for any member to write down the title, size and price at the library, with his signature, one clear week before the monthly meeting, at which period it will be ordered, if the majority of the subscribers present are agreeable.

The society which has been instituted about forty years, now possesses 5000 volumes—a valuable mass of general literature in every department.  Neither divinity nor law has been permitted toloadthe shelves; and in the matter of that great stumbling block of mixed associations,politics, a due regard to that invaluable maxim “audi alteram partem,” has never been forgot or violated, and diversity of opinion has only promoted the successful progress of the establishment.

Is attached to the county-hall, and is supplied with several London and provincial papers.

This is situate on St. John’s Hill, and forms part of the Library House.  It is furnished not only with a very extensive variety of London and ProvincialNewspapers and the Gazette, but also with Reviews, Magazine, Army and Navy Lists, and the best Pamphlets of the day, &c.

To each of these institutions strangers are admitted on being introduced by a subscriber.

Beside these institutions there are several privateReading Societiesin the town.

This church, situated near that beautiful promenade the Quarry, is erected in a style highly ornamental, from a design by Mr. Stuart, an architect from London.  The admirable execution of the masonry, and the beauty of the stone, have an extremely elegant appearance.  The first stone was laid on the 2d of March, 1790, and the building was consecrated on the 28th of August, 1792.  The body of the church is a rotunda, 100 feet in diameter, having a fine steeple at its south-east end.  In the steeple is an octagonal belfry, containing a melodious peal of twelve bells, surmounted by a small dome, supported on eight Corinthian pillars.

St. Chad’s church

The principal entrance is through the large door under the steeple, to the lower division of which is attached a portico, elevated on a flight of steps, and supported by four Doric columns.  The interior has a rich and noble appearance, especially since its recent painting, which in some measure has corrected that light and theatrical effect hitherto complained of.  The gallery which encircles the whole of the church, except the chancel, is supported by a double circular range of short pillars with Ionic capitals.  From its front rises a series of columns which support the roof, intended to imitate the Corinthian order.  The chancel is separated from the church by two insulated Corinthian-columns, with highly enrichedarchitraves.  Beside the usual appendages of a chancel, the Creed, Commandments, and Lord’s Prayer—a fine painted window, executed by Eginton, and removed here from Lichfield cathedral, was erected in the large window, in 1807, at the expense of the parishioners.—The subject is the resurrection of our Saviour, from a design by West.  In the gallery is a good organ.

Notwithstanding the objections which have been made to the architectural plan of this church, it is possessed of one advantage, which, it is presumed tends to obviate all of them, namely convenient accommodation for a congregation of 2000 persons, which should be the object principally kept in view in all similar erections.  It was built at an expense of about £18,000: £15,000 of which remains as a debt, on the church at this period.

The patron of the living is the king—the present vicar, the Rev. Thomas Stedman, M.A.  Organist Mr. John Wynne.

From the dome of this church there is a most beautiful panoramic view of the town, and a very extensive range of the fertile plain of Shropshire.

The present church once formed part of a magnificent and richly endowed abbey, founded by Roger de Montgomery, soon after the Norman conquest.  Here that powerful baron, in the decline of his life, retired, relinquishing his warlike habits for the severities of the Benedictine monks, and adopting the custom mentioned by Milton, of those

who, to be sure of Paradise,Dying, put on the weeds of Dominic,Or in Franciscan think to pass disguised.

who, to be sure of Paradise,Dying, put on the weeds of Dominic,Or in Franciscan think to pass disguised.

Originally it was of very considerable extent, comprehending within its enclosure nearly nine acres, now used as gardens and pleasure grounds to the adjoining mansions, together with a spacious fish-pond.

This once celebrated structure, in common with others similar in their institution, suffered considerable dilapidations in the reign of Henry the eighth.  In consequence of this and the mouldering waste of time, a small portion only remains, and what does exist has been cruelly mutilated in its repairs; its nave, western tower and northern porch, being the only fragments left to tell the history of its pristine magnificence and grandeur.  The tower is a finely proportioned structure; its portal has a round Norman arch deeply recessed, and another of a pointed form, inserted within it at some subsequent period.  Above this is one of the noblest windows in the kingdom, its height being 46 feet by 22 feet wide.  It is divided by its mulliens into seven “days”, or compartments below, of which there are two tiers, and its arched head is sharp pointed, and filled with a profusion of the most delicate tracery.  On each side is a mouldering nich, in one of which was a statue of St. Peter, and in the other St. Paul.  Between the double bell windows in front, is the figure of an armed knight within a nich, supposed from its surrounding decorations and ornaments, to represent that celebrated warrior, Edward III.  The tower contains eight bells.  Within the arch which once led to the south wing of the transept, is an ancient figure clad in mail, supposed by some, to be intended to perpetuate the memory of earl Roger, the munificent patron of the abbey, and to this effect an inscription was placed within the tomb, by the heralds at their visitation of this county, in 1633.  Otherssuppose it to belong to some other warrior of subsequent times, monuments of this description not being known at such an early period.

The ravages which this venerable pile has suffered are, perhaps, more strikingly visible in its interior than its exterior; but it still presents a solemn and majestic appearance, and whilst it proudly reminds us of its ancient grandeur, awfully forewarns us of “another and a better world.”—The altar-piece is in the style of the last century, with paintings of Moses and Aaron, and finishes the east end.

There are several monuments and inscriptions in memory of the Prynces, Baldwins, Reckes, and many other ancient and respectable Salopian families.  The armorial bearings in the great west window, were restored A.D. 1815, from an ancient drawing in the Herald’s Office.  The east window is also adorned with painted glass.  In the center compartment, under gothic canopies, are large figures of St. Peter and St. Paul, with their appropriate symbols; above are the arms of England, the see of Lichfield, the Founder of the Abbey, and of Lord Berwick, the munificent donor of the window; on each side are escutcheons of the vicars from the year 1500.  The bones of St. Winyfred were deposited in this abbey with great splendour, in the reign of Stephen.

The organ and the handsome gothic screen on which it stands, were erected in 1806.  It is a very fine instrument, made by Mr. Gray, of London, and cost 365 guineas.  On the screen are the arms of the principal benefactors.

In the parish chest are two small oval seals exactly similar in their dimensions, impresses and legends.  Two clothed arms issue from the opposite sides of the area, one bearing a crosier, the other a naked sword; in the centre, a wand or staff of office.  Inscription,“Sigillum commune de Fforyate Monachor”—the common seal of Monks Foregate.  Some of our most skilful antiquaries are unable to give a sufficient reason why Monks Foregate came to have a common seal.  Some of them have supposed that the parish might have obtained a charter of incorporation, while others think that it might have been assumed without authority.  Neither of the two seals appear much older than the 15th century.

The patron of the living is Lord Berwick—the Rev. H. Burton, vicar, and Mr. John Amott, organist.

But the remain of this abbey which has most excited the attention of antiquaries, is a beautiful little structure on the south side of the gardens.  Its plan is octagon, 6 feet in diameter.  Some broken steps which did not belong to it originally, lead through a narrow flat arched door on the east, to the inside.  The south part stands on a fragment of the ruins.  The corresponding side projects considerably from the wall, resting upon a single corbel, terminating in a head.  From this point it gradually swells, bound with a multitude of delicate ribbed mouldings, until it forms the basement under the floor.  An obtuse dome of stone is suspended over the whole, at about eight feet from the base, supported on six narrow pointed arches, rising from pillars similar to the mullions of the windows.  One of the remaining sides of the octagon is a solid blank wall, and in the other is a door.  The roof within is vaulted on eight ribs, which spring from the wall immediately under the cavity of the dome.  At their crossing in the centre is a boss, bearing a representation of the crucifixion, considerably relieved.  The spaces between the divisions of the three northern arches, four feet above the bottom, are filled up withstone pannels, over which they are entirely open, a circumstance which, by permitting the light, is productive of a beautiful effect.  On the centre pannel are two small figures in elegant tabernacles; in one of these is the figure of an angel, in the other, that of a woman, whom he is addressing; the whole seems intended to represent the annunciation.  The right hand pannel is embellished with images of St. Peter and St. Paul bearing their respective symbols, with similar enrichments, and that on the left has two figures in monastic habits, one of them a female, probably St. Winyfred, the other a monk; the height of every figure is eighteen inches.  The arches on the southern side are without ornaments, and are now quite open two feet from the floor.

In forming a garden on the site of the Abbey Cloisters, a great variety of fragments were met with, consisting of painted tiles with various devices, rich gothic tracery, window mullions, &c. and a very beautiful part of the pavement of the refectory; this, from its situation, being about 23 feet from the line of the outer refectory wall, and being part of the border of a pavement, satisfactorily proves the use to which this beautiful Gothic pulpit was applied, it being a custom in Benedictine monasteries, for one monk to read to the others during their meals in the refectory.  In a parallel line, and at 12 feet distance from the wall of the dormitory, a considerable number of small Norman capitals and bases were found, strongly bedded in cement, and forming a foundation to some superstructure.  As the west side of the cloisters must have occupied this situation, it may be presumed that there were cloisters of more ancient architecture, than these destroyed at the Reformation, to which the fragments found in the garden belonged.

The pulpit

This venerable church is situated on a parallel with Castle-street, at the north-east part of the town, in a small area; and with the exception of St. Giles’, is the only structure of this place, which has been handed down to the present time in an entire state.  It is built in the form of a cross, consisting of a nave side isles, transept, choir and its chapels, with a west steeple.  The exterior presents various styles of ancient architecture.  The basement of the tower is of red stone, and contains the small round-headed windows of the early Norman era.  From the bell story the pointed style takes place, and is of the grey free stone of Grinshill quarry, as is also the greatest part of the fabric.  The tower is large, but low.  The upper story has on every side handsome double windows.  From the tower rises a lofty and beautiful spire.  The windows of the lower parts bear the remains of rich spiring canopies and pinnacles.  The height of the tower is 76 feet, of the spire 140.

Upon the south side of the church is a stone porch of early Norman architecture.  Its outward arch is circular, with diagonal or zig-zag mouldings, the inner rib obtusely pointed.  The small pointed windows on each side are curious specimens of the very earliest rudiments of the mullioned window.  The ceiling also presents an example of the most ancient kind of groined vault, and consists of four round massive ribs crossing each other in the centre, without any boss or ornament.  The semicircular arch of the interior door is a good specimen of the style of building in fashion from the conquest to the days of Henry II.  The north door is an elegant example of this ancient kind of building.  Formerly it was an unsightly wooden porch, which was removed in 1801.The arches of the north and south doors of the transept are in the same early style.  The decorations of the latter are rather uncommon, having lozenge pannels placed alternately, and each filled with an embossed flower.  The side aisles, with the upper story of the nave and choir, have pointed windows with mullions, while those of the transept are long and lancet shaped, without any.  The higher walls of the nave were, in the repair of 1786, very injudiciously raised some feet above their original level, which altogether destroys the ancient proportions, and gives the whole building a top-heavy appearance.  Formerly the church was crowned with pinnacles, which issued from the spaces between each window and the corner buttresses of the transept and choir, but now, excepting those on the chapel, not one remains.

Within, the church is spacious, lofty, interesting, and from its venerable and solemn appearance, admirably adapted to the purposes of religious meditation.

As chanced, the portal of the sacred pileStood open, and we entered.  On my frame,At such transition from the fervid air,A grateful coolness fell, that seem’d to strikeThe heart, in concert with that temperate aweAnd natural reverence which the place inspired.Wordsworth.

As chanced, the portal of the sacred pileStood open, and we entered.  On my frame,At such transition from the fervid air,A grateful coolness fell, that seem’d to strikeThe heart, in concert with that temperate aweAnd natural reverence which the place inspired.

Wordsworth.

The walls of the nave are supported on each side by four semicircular arches, with moulding peculiar to the pointed style, and these spring from finely clustered pillars, their shafts having the small flat rib which belongs to the 13th century.  The capitals are highly enriched with foliage, and, as is usual in ancient churches, are all of different designs.  Above the arches is a clere-story, with a high range of short windows on both sides, running the whole length of the church.  These are irregularly ranged in couplets,and have heads very obtusely pointed, each divided by a single mullion.  The ceiling of the nave, which is of oak, rises into an extremely flat arch, separated by its principal beams into square pannels, including circles richly adorned with quatrefoils and foliage.  The ribs and bosses at their intersections, are carved, with double roses, devices and knots; those attached to the centre beam having pendant ornaments, pelicans, angels with musical instruments, and grotesque sculptures.  The chancel is considerably elevated by two ascents of steps.  On each side is a pointed arch, blocked up, resting upon imposts similar to the clustered pillars in the nave.  Several

— marble monuments are here displayedUpon the walls: and on the floor beneathSepulchral stones appear, with emblems gravenAnd foot-worn epitaphs, and some with smallAnd shining effigies of brass inlaid,

— marble monuments are here displayedUpon the walls: and on the floor beneathSepulchral stones appear, with emblems gravenAnd foot-worn epitaphs, and some with smallAnd shining effigies of brass inlaid,

belonging to the Lyster, Morhall, Lloyd, Gardner, and Sandford families.  On the north side, near the altar, is a beautiful triple window, with arches remarkably sharp pointed, the centre rising much higher than those of each side and supported upon slender insulated columns, whose capitals are adorned with foliage, busts, and grotesque heads.  The ceiling of oak pannelling, was in this part quite plain.  The interstices between the beams have been plastered over and painted with trefoil and other appropriate enrichments, and the intersections adorned with carved roses and devices, collected from the ruins of St. Chad’s and St. Alkmond’s.  In the chancel, is an altar tomb, upon which is a recumbent figure of a cross legged knight, in linked armour, the sides adorned with rich foliated niches, once containing figures.  This monument is supposedto belong to John de Leyborne, of Berwick Leyborne, last of the family.  In the vestry, under a low pointed arch, is a plain altar tomb, which has formerly been ornamented with shields; on the massy alabaster slab which covers it, are engraven the figures of a man in armour, bareheaded, with his wife, both in the act of prayer.  From the inscription which is somewhat defaced, we learn, that it was erected to — Stafford and Catherine his wife, in 1463.  In the transept and nave there are some singular monumental figures, brought here from the ruins of St. Chad’s and St. Alkmond’s, but to whom they belonged has not been ascertained.

The lower divisions of the great window which terminates the chancel, is occupied by some ancient painted glass brought from old St. Chad’s, representing the root of Jesse: the arch or head is made up with ancient coats of arms and modern stained glass.  The altar piece is a rich Grecian design.  The altar is a fine slab of Sienna marble bordered with jasper, and was the gift of the Rev. Hugh Owen, vicar of St. Julian’s, when curate here in 1789.  In the gallery at the west end of the nave, is a very handsome organ, made by John Harris and John Byfield, and as this church, with the exception of St. Lawrence, at Ludlow, is the handsomest in the county, so the organ with a like exception, is the most powerful and best toned.  In the tower is a musical peal of ten bells, the harmony of which is not exceeded by that of any other peal in the town.

On the south-west side of the church-yard is a tomb-stone erected to the memory of Thomas Anderson, a lieutenant in Ligonier’s regiment of light horse, who was tried at Worcester for desertion, in the first German war of George II. and removed here for execution.  He was shot on Kingsland, nearthis town, on the 11th of December, 1752, and met his fate with calmness and fortitude.  At the foot of the tower is a stone in memory of Robert Cadman, who in January, 1740, in an attempt to descend from the top of the spire by means of a rope affixed to it, the other end of which was placed in the fields on the opposite side of the river, fell lifeless in St. Mary’s Friars, through the breaking of the rope, amidst an immense number of spectators.  The inscription is quaint:—

Let this small monument record the nameOf Cadman, and to future times proclaim,How from a bold attempt to fly from this high spire,Across the Sabrine stream, he did acquireHis fatal end: ’Twas not for want of skillOr courage to perform the task, he fell,No, no, a faulty cord being drawn too tight,Hurried his soul on high to take her flight,Which bid the body here beneath, good night.

Let this small monument record the nameOf Cadman, and to future times proclaim,How from a bold attempt to fly from this high spire,Across the Sabrine stream, he did acquireHis fatal end: ’Twas not for want of skillOr courage to perform the task, he fell,No, no, a faulty cord being drawn too tight,Hurried his soul on high to take her flight,Which bid the body here beneath, good night.

The right of presentation to this living is vested in the Corporation of Shrewsbury at large; and in the choice of a minister, (who must at least be a M.A.) the son of a burgess who has been brought up at the Free Schools; or one born in the parish of Chirbury, is to have the preference.  The church is a royal peculiar, the Official having cognizance of all ecclesiastical matters arising within the parish and its subordinate chapelries.  He is stiled “Ordinary and Official, Principal of the peculiar and exempt jurisdiction of the Free Royal Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary.”  The present minister, who is also official, is the Rev. John Brickdale Blakeway, M.A.—Organist, Mr. Thomas Tomlins.

Situated at the top of Wyle Cop, originally of Saxon election, is a plain substantial structure of brick andstone, rebuilt in 1750, at an expense of £2000.  At the west end is the square tower of the old church; the lower part being of red stone and in a more ancient style than the higher story, which is of the 16th century.  It is furnished with six bells.  In the east wall of the chancel is a small female figure within a foliated tabernacle, preserved from the reins of the old church, and probably representing St. Juliana, the patroness.

The form of this church is an oblong square, 83ft. by 48ft. the roof being supported by four Doric columns on each side.  The ceiling is ornamented with the fret work of the old church.  The altar-piece is adorned with Ionic pilasters, supporting a rich cornice and architrave.  The east window is filled with fine painted glass, consisting chiefly of a large ancient figure of St. James, bearing the Scriptures in his hand, purchased in 1804, from the splendid collection of glass brought from Rouen, in Normandy, during the French Revolution, and is extremely well executed.  Above the Apostle are escutcheons of the arms of France and England, quarterly, and those of the corporation, and see of Lichfield.  The arms of the present and ancient patrons of the church, Earl Tankerville, Sir John Astley, and Prince, together with those of the families of Rocke, Powys, Bowdler, &c. &c. are exhibited in various situations in the edifice, which is likewise beautified with a variety of painted and stained glass.  The only ancient monument in this church which is worthy the attention of the antiquarian, is a slab of coarse alabaster, lately removed from the church-yard into the chancel.  It is nearly a foot in thickness and as hard as flint; and besides a modern epitaph which has been inserted in the centre of it, it contains round the edge this inscription, in Longobardic capitals, now nearly obliterated,but capable of being read, EASMONYND TROVMWYN GIST ICI DIEV DE SA ALME EN EYT MERCI AMEN. i.e. Edmund Trowmwyn lieth here, may God have mercy on his soul.  Amen.

There is an organ in the gallery.

The Earl of Tankerville is the patron.  The present incumbent is the Rev. Hugh Owen, F.A.S.  Archdeacon of Salop, portionary of Bampton, Oxfordshire, and prebendary of Salisbury.

Is situated at the top of Belmont.

This once venerable pile was founded previous to the Norman conquest, by one of the kings of Mercia, soon after the expulsion of the Britons, on a site of a palace belonging to one of the princes of Powis, which was destroyed during the wars between the Britons and their Saxon invaders.  In 1393, a considerable part of the structure was burnt down through the carelessness of a plumber, then repairing the lead on the roof, who, frightened at beholding the edifice in flames, endeavoured to escape over the ford of the Severn, near the eastern gate, but was drowned in the attempt.  In the early part of the year 1788, the church was observed to be decaying fast, and a respectable architect, who was employed to survey it, advised that the tower should be taken down, in order to relieve the mouldering pillars of their vast weight.  Unfortunately, this salutary advice was not acted upon; in lieu thereof, partial repairs were undertaken, and the attempt to remove a shattered pillar, that a firmer one might be erected in its place, completed its ruin.  On the second day after the workmen had commenced their destructive operations, the decayed pillar gave way, and in consequence, thetower fell about four o’clock the following morning, July 9, 1788, on the roof of the church, and overwhelmed the greater part of the sacred edifice in ruinous desolation.

About a month previous to this occurrence, the church had been thronged with thousands, who had assembled to witness the interment of an officer with military honours.

Although a considerable part of old building remained, it was not deemed advisable to rebuild the church on its ancient site.  The present fragment of it, which was formerly the Bishop’s chancel, was fitted up for the purpose of performing the rites of sepulture in, and at this time it is used as a charity school.

It is worthy of remark, that the light of the reformation first dawned in Shrewsbury in this church.

Situate immediately adjoining St. Julian’s, was originally founded by Elfrida, daughter of Offa, king of Mercia; and like some others in Shrewsbury, was erected at different periods and in different styles of architecture in the form of a cross.  At the destruction of St. Chad’s church, the parishioners, alarmed for the safety of their ancient structure, caused it to be thoroughly examined, and in consequence of some symptoms of decay exhibited in the roof, they determined on the demolition of the old church and the erection of a new one on a part of its site.  The present building was accordingly opened for divine worship in November, 1795, at an expence of about £3000, one half of which might have been saved by a judicious repair of the original erection, and thus preserved for ages.  The beautiful spire-steeple at the west end, is the only part which escaped the generaldevastation.  It is 184 feet in height, and is highly ornamental to the town, especially when seen from the adjacent country.  It contains a musical peal of eight bells.

The plan of the church is an oblong square, 84 feet by 44, with a small recess for the altar, over which is a handsome painted window, by Eginton; the subject is emblematical of Faith, kneeling on a cross, with the eyes elevated and arms extended towards a celestial crown which appears amidst the opening clouds.  “Be faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life,” is the motto.

Previous to the demolition of the old church, there were a variety of ancient inscriptions, few of which are now visible.  In the church-yard is a monument to the memory of Alderman William Jones and his wife, the former of whom died in 1612.  It formerly stood in the chantry north of the chancel; and about sixteen years ago it was munificently repaired by the late Sir Thomas Tyrwhit Jones, Bart, M.P. the worthy and respected representative of the family.

The living is in the gift of the crown.  Its present incumbent the Rev. J. Wightman.

Of the origin of which no authentic account is known, stands at the eastern extremity of the Abbey Foregate, and bears marks of considerable antiquity.  By some it has been thought to be the earliest parochial foundation in Shrewsbury; but others, with more semblance of truth, give the palm in this respect to the Abbey, to which St. Giles’s is now attached, merely as a convenience for the performance of funeral ceremonies; public worship being only celebrated within its walls, twice every year.

It is a small plain building, consisting of a nave, chancel, and north aisle, with a small turret for the reception of a bell.  Its interior presents several varieties of architecture, whilst its antique and worm-eaten benches, its homely pavement, and its almost altogether unadorned state, combine to give it a simply interesting appearance.

The church-yard contains the tombs of various inhabitants of the town; among others is one raised to the memory of Cheney Hart, M.D. a native of Warrington, and an eminent physician of this town for thirty-three years, on the pedestal of which, crowned with a handsome urn is a Latin inscription.  On the north side the yard is a tomb in memory of William Congreve, esq. formerly lieutenant-colonel of the 17th foot, and his relict Jane.  This gentleman was a descendant of the ancient family which gave birth to our celebrated dramatic writer, while his lady, a Waller, was sprung from that of elegant poet of Beaconsfield.  The grave stone of William White, who was a quarter-master of horse in the reign of William III. bears the following lines:

In Irish wars I fought for England’s glory;Let no man scoff at telling of the story:I saw great Schomberg fall, likewise the brave St. Ruth,And here I come to die, not there in my youth.Thro’ dangers great I’ve passed many a storm;Die we must all as sure as we are born.

In Irish wars I fought for England’s glory;Let no man scoff at telling of the story:I saw great Schomberg fall, likewise the brave St. Ruth,And here I come to die, not there in my youth.Thro’ dangers great I’ve passed many a storm;Die we must all as sure as we are born.

Itis always painful to men of sober and moderate principles, to recur to the Act of Uniformity, which in Bartholomew’s day, 1662, drove from their livings at least 2000 clergymen, “many of them distinguishedby their abilities and zeal,” to seek subsistence from the charity of friends, and consolation in times of oppression from the calm testimony of a good conscience.  To this act however, Shrewsbury is indebted for its first regular dissenting church.  The place where they assembled is called

This congregation was founded by Mr. Bryan and Mr. Tallents, the ministers ejected from St. Chad’s and St. Mary’s.  It was destroyed in 1715, by a mob, soon after the accession of the House of Hanover, and was rebuilt by government.  It stands on the north side of the High Street, and is a plain building of brick, neatly fitted up.  It is now used by a respectable congregation of Unitarian Dissenters.  Minister, the Rev. G. Case.

In the year 1766, a disagreement took place among the congregation frequenting the Presbyterian chapel, relative to the choice of a minister, in consequence of which, they separated, and a part of them erected a new chapel.  It is called

Situate on Swan Hill, and is a commodious brick erection of an oblong form.  It has a numerous and very respectable society.  On the north side is a vestry.  A neat stone tablet on the front bears the following inscription:

THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTEDIN THE YEAR 1767,FOR THE PUBLIC WORSHIP OF GODAND IN DEFENCE OF THERIGHTS OF MAJORITIESIN PROTESTANT DISSENTING CONGREGATIONSTO CHOOSE THEIR OWN MINISTERS.Minister, the Rev. T. Weaver.

THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTEDIN THE YEAR 1767,FOR THE PUBLIC WORSHIP OF GODAND IN DEFENCE OF THERIGHTS OF MAJORITIESIN PROTESTANT DISSENTING CONGREGATIONSTO CHOOSE THEIR OWN MINISTERS.

Minister, the Rev. T. Weaver.

Called also St. John’s Chapel, is situate on St. John’s Hill, and previous to the erection of a house in front of part of it, was a great ornament to the street.  It is a neat and extensive brick building of an oblong form, and is calculated to accommodate a large congregation.  Behind the chapel is a vestry, in which are placed the stairs leading to the pulpit, which in consequence, has rather a novel appearance to a stranger, no steps being visible in the chapel.  The congregation is numerous and respectable.

Is in Dog Lane; with a well-finished interior, it is, perhaps, from the awkward situation of the pulpit and its extreme lowness, one of the most unpleasant chapels in the town, especially when crowded, which is often the case on particular occasions.  It is a plain respectable brick building, and has a numerous congregation.  The Baptists were established here in 1780.

Is situate on St. John’s Hill, and, like the respectable body who assemble within its walls, is a plain unadorned building.

The SANDEMANIANS and WELSH METHODISTS, also have Chapels in Hill’s Lane; and the ROMAN CATHOLICS a neat one near the Town Walls at the back of the Lion Inn.

Educationis, in the British empire, an object of national concern.  Our various universities and public schools are splendid monuments of the attention paid by our ancestors to the important object of training and enlightening the youthful mind.  The provision made for the support of these establishments, especially in England and Ireland, is, generally speaking, munificent.  At the same time, it is not sufficient to afford a temptation to the indulgence of idleness, by the conversion of respectable offices into sinecures.  The dignity hence accruing to their teachers and professors, invests them with high authority, and imparts additional weight to their instructions; while the respect in which they are habitually held by long established prescription, gives a powerful sanction to the system of their discipline.

This observation applies with peculiar force to the munificent edifice of the Royal Free School of King Edward VI. which is situate at the northern extremity of Castle Street.  Its erection was completed in 1630, the ancient school-room, which was composed of timber, having been removed in order to the completion of the present spacious and convenient structure of free-stone.  The building surrounds two sides of the court with a square pinnacled tower in the angle.  In the centre of the front is a gateway, adorned on each side with a Corinthian column, very rudely designed, upon which stand the statues of a scholar and a graduate, bareheaded, and in the dress of thetimes.  Over the arch is a Greek sentence from Isocrates,

’Εὰν ῆς φιλομαθὴς ἔσῃ πολυμαθής.

’Εὰν ῆς φιλομαθὴς ἔσῃ πολυμαθής.

Importing that a love of literature is necessary to the formation of a scholar.  Above are the arms of Charles I.  The ground floor on one side the gateway, contains a room originally used as an accidence school; on the other the third master’s house, now given to the head master, who places his assistant in it.  In the middle story are comprised the lodging rooms of the assistant’s house, and the lower master’s apartment, which for many years has been converted into a writing school.  The principal school room, which occupies the upper story, is 80 feet by 21.

The chapel is on the ground floor of the other part of the building, and is divided from the anti-chapel by a handsome open screen of oak, richly embellished with grotesque carving, as are the pulpit and bible stand.  The ceiling is adorned with a variety of foliage, devices, and rebusses, preserved from the ruins of St. Alkmond’s Church.  The arms of the first and present masters are placed along the middle.  Prayers are read here twice on school days, by the head master, who is chaplain and catechist, for which he has a distinct salary of £20 a year.

Over the chapel, and of the same size, is the library, which contains a most valuable collection of books, and in size and decoration is in no respect inferior to the majority of those in the Universities.  A half length of Henry VIII. and his son Edward VI. when a boy; a full length of an Admiral in the dress of Charles II. reign, probably Benbow, together with five portraits of head masters, ornament the walls.  In this room are also preserved three sepulchral stones discovered at Wroxeter.

A small museum is separated from the lower end of the room, in which are some Roman antiquities, chiefly from Wroxeter, with a few fossils and other natural curiosities.  Among the latter, is the dried body of a sturgeon, caught in 1802, in a weir adjoining the island, a quarter of a mile below the castle.  When alive, it weighed 192 pounds, and was 9 feet long and 3 feet 4 inches round.

In front of the schools on the town side, is a play ground enclosed from the street by iron railing, and a considerable piece of ground is used for a similar purpose at the back, which opens to the country and is entirely secluded from the town.  Two large houses most delightfully situated contiguous, belong to the masters, with every accommodation for boarders.  The revenues are very handsome, and are derived chiefly from the tithes of a number of townships in the parishes of St. Mary and St. Chad, and the whole rectory of Chirbury, which were granted by King Edward VI. and Queen Elizabeth.

This seminary has been long celebrated for the erudition of its scholars.  Under the “excellent and worthie” Thomas Ashton, it flourished eminently.  At one period he had 290 pupils, among whom we notice Sir Henry Sydney, whose son, the heroic Sir Philip Sydney, laid here the seeds of that exemplary friendship with the celebrated Sir Fulk Greville, Lord Brook, which he maintained through the whole of his short but splendid career.  Beside these, the noted Jeffries, Lord Chief Justices Jones and Price; Drs. Bowers and Thomas, Bishops of Chichester and Salisbury; the Rev. John Taylor, L.L.D. and the celebrated Dr. Waring, received their education here.  Nor does the present character of the school fall short of that distinguished pre-eminence which it formerly sustained.  Under the judicious direction of thelearned Dr. Butler, it is in a flourishing state.  Not only do the children of the principal families in the adjacent counties and North Wales, receive the rudiments of their learning here, but also those of many families of distinction from distant parts of the empire.  The appointment of master rests solely in the fellows of St. John’s College, Cambridge; that of ushers and the mode of instruction is vested in the head master.

This handsome brick building, situated on the opposite side of the river to the Quarry, was erected in 1765, as a Foundling Hospital, at an expence of £12,000.  Numbers of children were sent here from London, and placed out at nurse during their infancy with the neighbouring cottagers, under the superintendance of the surrounding gentry.  When arrived at a proper age, they were brought into this house and employed in various branches of a woollen manufactory, and afterwards apprenticed to various individuals.  About 1774, however, the governors finding their funds inadequate to the support of the charity, the house was shut up; and a few years after was rented by government, who in the American war used it as a place of confinement for Dutch prisoners.

In 1784, an act of parliament was obtained to incorporate the five parishes of Shrewsbury and Meole Brace, as far as related to their poor, and to erect a general House of Industry.  The governors of the Foundling Charity were glad of an opportunity to dispose of their erection at a considerably reduced rate, and the building was accordingly purchased, together with about twenty acres of land, for about £5,500, and it was opened for the reception of paupersin December in that year.  For a short period they were employed in the fabrication of woollen cloths, but this being found injurious to the pecuniary resources of the house, it was discontinued, and at present their employment chiefly consists in manufacturing the various articles of their clothing.  They breakfast, dine, and sup in the dining hall, a very long room, the men, women, boys and girls, being each placed at separate tables.  Divine service is performed twice each Sunday, in a neat chapel parallel with the hall.  There is also an infirmary, where the sick and infirm are lodged in proper wards, and attended to by nurses and the apothecary belonging to the house.  The whole is under the management of twelve directors, chosen from persons assessed in the associated parishes at £15. or possessed of property to the amount of £30. per ann. who appoint a governor and matron, to superintend the domestic economy of the establishment.

Mr. Nield, the worthy disciple of the philanthropic Howard, remarks of this place, which he visited in 1807, “This House of Industry is certainly a house of plenty, for the books every where, bear record of good living, and the famous beef slaughtered here.  The average number in the house is 340; the children delicate and pampered, from being accustomed to abundance and variety of provisions, and comfortable rooms, very dissimilar to the hardy peasant, and therefore ill calculated to rear up useful assistances in the employments of agriculture, or to make useful servants in this agricultural county.  They would prefer a race of hardy lads, inured from their infancy to combat weather and temporary want; whose nerves are strong by early exertions, and their understandings furnished with some knowledge of rural life.”—Mr. Nield’s extensive observation and experience, qualified him to judge of the most proper aliment and employment of this class of persons, far better than most of the directors and governors of similar institutions can reasonably be expected to do; and as indulgence and plenty cannot be supposed to be the portion of the children of the poor in their progress through life, we may indulge a hope that the directors will speedily devise some plan for the initiation of their young dependants into habits of judicious labour and healthy abstinence.

Along the north front of the house is a beautiful gravel walk, from whence the town is seen to great advantage.  On the right, the Abbey-foregate, with its two venerable churches, various manufactories, Lord Hill’s Column, and a great extent of fertile land, are seen backed by the Wrekin, Haughmond Hill, &c.  In front, the river Severn flowing close underneath, the beautiful verdure of the quarry, and the town, present themselves; whilst on the left are descried a large portion of this extremely fertile county, together with the distant Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire hills.  This extensive prospect over the neighbouring country, with the endless variety of scenes that present themselves to the spectator are finely described in the following lines:

Ever charming, ever new,When will the landscape tire the view?The fountain’s fall, the river’s flow,The wooded vallies warm and low;The windy summits wild and highRoughly rushing on the sky!The pleasing seat, the ruin’d tow’r,The naked rock, the shady bow’rThe town and village dome and farmEach give each a double charm,As pearls upon an Ethiop’s arm.Dyer.

Ever charming, ever new,When will the landscape tire the view?The fountain’s fall, the river’s flow,The wooded vallies warm and low;The windy summits wild and highRoughly rushing on the sky!The pleasing seat, the ruin’d tow’r,The naked rock, the shady bow’rThe town and village dome and farmEach give each a double charm,As pearls upon an Ethiop’s arm.

Dyer.

It was from this house, that the benevolent but eccentric Mr. Day, deluded by the fascinating eloquence Rosseau, selected two girls on whom to try an experiment on female education, in which he proposed to unite the delicacy of a modern female, with the bold simplicity of a Spartan virgin, which should despise the frivolity and dissipation of the present corrupted age.

Having obtained the object of his wishes, he repaired with them to France, taking no English servant, in order that they might receive no ideas but those which he chose to instil.  After spending about eight months in France, he placed the one in a respectable situation in London, and with his favourite actually proceeded some years in the execution of his project; but experience and mature reflection at length convinced him, that his theory of education was impractible, and he renounced all hope of moulding his protegee after the model his fancy had formed.  He therefore placed her in a boarding school at Sutton Coldfield, in Warwickshire; and after completing her education, she resided some years in Birmingham, and subsequently at Newport, in this county: and by her amiable deportment secured a large circle of friends.  Mr. Day frequently corresponded with her parentally.  In her 26th year she married Mr. Bicknell, a gentleman who accompanied Mr. D. to Shrewsbury, at the commencement of this singular experiment.

This noble asylum, situated in St. Mary’s Churchyard, was formed in the memorable year 1745, for the accommodation and relief of the diseased and indigent poor.  The munificence with which this excellent institution has been supported by the inhabitantsof the county at large, has enabled its conductors to proceed upon the most liberal principles.  Admission is given to the diseased from whatever quarter they may come, provided they are recommended by a subscriber; but in case of sudden accident, this recommendation is dispensed with.

It was opened in 1747, and has the honour of being one of the earliest of similar erections, those of Bristol, Northampton, Winchester, and Exeter, being the only provincial ones established prior thereto.  The building is of brick with a stone portal, and the back windows, which look into the country, command a varied and extensive prospect.  Considered with respect to its internal cleanliness and economical management, and the humane and skilful attentions of the medical gentlemen of the town, its advantages are such as will vie with those of any similar provincial institution, and are calculated to excite in the minds of the benevolent and reflecting, feelings of the most compassionate regard and generous sensibility.

Since its foundation, £126,671. 9s.10d.in voluntary subscriptions and benefactions, has been contributed for its maintenance and support.  By the last report it appears, that up to June 1822, 33,589 in-patients have been received into the house, 18,373 have been cured, and 3,481 relieved; also 52,142 out-patients, of whom 37,720 have been cured, and 4,877 relieved.

Besides the physicians and surgeons of the town who attend gratuitously, a surgeon resides in the house, in order that medical aid may not be wanting in cases of emergency.  The domestic economy is superintended by a matron.  The pecuniary concerns are managed by a secretary, under the inspection of a Board of Directors and deputy Treasurer.  A Treasurer also is appointed annually from among thesubscribers of five guineas and upwards, and on the Friday in the Shrewsbury race week, a sermon is preached by the chaplain, and a collection made for the benefit of the charity, the plates being held by two ladies, supported by two gentlemen of distinguished rank or opulence.  The clergy of the established church, residing in the town, officiate in rotation weekly; two of the subscribers also resident in Shrewsbury, are weekly appointed as house visitors.

Stands in the suburb of Frankwell, and is so called from its benevolent founder, the late Mr. James Millington, draper of Shrewsbury, who in 1734, bequeathed nearly the whole of his property to its erection.


Back to IndexNext