Cantref,or Hundred.
Commots. (Cwmmwd.)
Nant Gonwy,
Uwch Conwy,
Is Conwy,
Trefrew.
Aber,
Llechwedd Ucha,
Llechwedd Issa.
Arvon,
Uwch Gwyrfai,
Is Gwyrfai.
Lleyn,
Cymmytmaen,
Cyfflogion, or Canologion,
Dinlleyn.
Eifionydd, was one of the Commots of the Cantref of Dunodig, and Arduwy was the other.
Creuddin, is a Commot in the Cantref, or Hundred, of Rhôs.
ACATALOGUEOF THERECTORIES, VICARAGES,ANDCHAPELS,IN THECounty of Caernarvon;WITH THEIRDEDICATIONS,SAINT DAYS,AND PATRONS.
V. BANGOR,
St. Daniel
Dec. 1
Bishop of Bangor
C. Pentir,a.Capel
St. Cedol
Nov. 1
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llanddiniolen
St. Diniolen
Nov. 23
Lord Chancellor
C. Llanfair Isgaer
St. Mary
Sept. 8
Lord Newborough
C. Bettws Garmon
St. Garmon
July 31
Lord Newborough
V. Llanberis
St. Peris
June 26
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llanrug
St. Michael
Sept. 29
Bishop of Bangor
V. Llanwnda
St. Beuno
April 21
Bishop of Bangor
C. Llanfaglan
St. Baglan
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llandwrog
St. Twrog
June 26
Bishop of Bangor
V. Llanbeblic
St. Peblic
July 4
Bishop of Chester
C. Carnarvon
St. Mary
Feb. 2
Bishop of Chester
R. Llanllyfni
St. Credyw
Nov. 11
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llanaelhaiarn
St. Elhaiarn
Nov. 1
Bishop of Bangor
R. Clynnog
St. Beuno
April 21
Impropriation Jes. Col. Ox.
C. Llandegai
St. Tygai
June 16
Tithes appropriated to the Archdeacon of Bangor
C. Capel Curig
St. Curig
June 16
Tithes appropriated to the Archdeacon of Bangor
R. Llanllechid
St. Llechid
Dec. 2
Bishop of Bangor
R. Aber
St. Bodvan
Jan. 2
Lord Newborough
R. Llanfair Vechan
St. Mary
Sept. 8
Bishop of Bangor
C. Dwygyfylche
St. Gwnning
Jan. 31
Bishop of Bangor
V. Conway
Lord Viscount Bulkeley
R. Gyffin
St. Benedict
March 22
Ap. to Deanery of Bangor
R. Llangelynin
St. Celynin
Nov. 2
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llanbedr
St. Peter
June 29
Bishop of Bangor
V. Caerhun
St. Mary
Sept. 8
Bishop of Bangor
R. Trefryw
St. Mary
Sept. 8
Bishop of Bangor
C. Llanrhychwyn
St. Rhychwyn
June 10
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Bangor
C. Bettws y Coed
St. Michael
Sept. 29
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Bangor
C. Dolwyddelen
St. Gwyddeien
Aug. 22
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Bangor
V. Llandudno
St. Tudno
June 5
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Bangor
V. Penmachno
St. Tudclyd
May 30
Sir R. W. Vaughan, Bart.
R. Aberdaron
V. Aberdaron
St. Howyn
Jan. 6
St. John’s College, Cambridge
C. Llanvaelrhys
St. Maelrhys
Jan. 1
Bishop of Bangor
R. Rhyw
St. Elrhyw
Sept. 9
Bishop of Bangor
C. Llandudwen
St. Tudwen
Oct. 27
Bishop of Bangor
R. Mellteyrn
St. Peter
Aug. 1
Bishop of Bangor
C. Bottwnog
St. Beuno
April 29
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llan Engan
St. Engan
Feb. 9
Bishop of Bangor
V. Llangwynodl
St. Gwynodl
Jan. 1
Bishop of Bangor
C. Tydweiliog
St. Gwyfan
June 3
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llanbedrog
St. Pedroc
June 4
Bishop of Bangor
C. Llangian
St. Peris
Dec. 11
Bishop of Bangor
C. Llanfihangel
St. Michael
Sept. 29
Bishop of Bangor
R. Bodean
St. Buan
Aug. 9
Bishop of Bangor
V. Nevin
St. Mary
Aug. 15
Bishop of Bangor
R. Edern
St. Edern
Dec. 2
Bishop of Bangor
C. Pistill
St. Beuno
April 21
Bishop of Bangor
C. Carnguwch
St. Beuno
April 21
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llannor
St. Beuno
Sept. 14
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Bangor
C. Pwllhely
St. Beuno
April 21
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Bangor
V. Abererch
St. Courda
Dec. 5
Bishop of Bangor
C. Penrhos
St. Cynfil
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llanjestin
St. Jestin
Oct. 10
Bishop of Bangor
C. Penllech
St. Mary
Aug. 5
Bishop of Bangor
C. Bodveryn
St. Meryn
Jan. 6
Bishop of Bangor
C. Llandegwnning
St. Gwnning
Dec. 31
Bishop of Bangor
C. Ceidio
St. Ceidiaw
Nov. 2
W. Bodvil, Esq.
R. Penmorfa
St. Beano
April 21
Bishop of Bangor
R. Crickieth
St. Catherine
Nov. 25
Bishop of Bangor
R. Llangybi
St. Cybi
Nov. 5
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Merionethsh.
C. Llanarmon
St. Garmon
July 1
Appropriated to the Archdeaconry of Merionethsh.
About the year 525, Daniel ap Dunawd, Abbot of Bangor Is Coed, in Flintshire, built a College in Caernarvonshire, for the instruction of youth and support of the Clergy of this part of North Wales; and probably designed it as a Cell, or member of the other Bangor, and continued so till Prince Maelgwn, or Maelgwyn Gwynedd, a wicked Prince in his youth, but reformed in his advanced age, among other works of Piety, created this College into a Bishoprick, and Archbishop Dubricius, or Dyfrig, consecrated the said Daniel Bishop thereof, about the year 550; and about four years after, he died, December 10, and was buried at Bardsey, or Enlli. There is but a very slender account of Daniel’s successors till after the Conquest; from which time there seems to be a regular succession of Prelates in this See, though by reason of the wars, they had not all of them a quiet enjoyment. The Revenues of this Bishoprick were valued 25th Henry VIII. at £151 3s.8d.; the clear value £134 16s.4d.The next account is, that according to Bede, there was a Bishop here, St. Awstin the Monk, who is called Ellodu, Anno Dom. 601. However, Elbodius was certainly Bishop of North Wales, and died, as some say, A.D. 806, others 811. There is no account who succeededhim. Gildas Cambrensis dedicated his Book to a Bishop of Venetia; he flourished A.D. 860. Mordaf is mentioned by Wynne to have gone to Rome about the year 940; about the confirmation of Howel Dda’s Laws.
Hervey, surnamed Cruste, was consecrated Bishop of Bangor, between the years 1089 and 1093, by Thomas, Archbishop of York; and so continued for 15 or 16 years; but using too great severity, he was very ill liked by the Welsh, who at last murdered his Brother, and threatened to do the same with him, whereupon he retired into England, to Henry I. for protection, who assigned him the Abbey of Ely, which he got converted into a Bishoprick, and quitted Bangor A.D. 1109, and died at Ely 1131, where he was buried.
Urban, bishop of Landaff, governed this see, and took the care thereof upon him, probably till 1119, when he began to be fully occupied in looking after his charge in Landaff, and rebuilding his church.
David, a Scot, was consecrated April 4, 1120, in which year he consented to the translation of the reliques of St. Dubricius to Landaff, out of his own Diocese, at the request of Bishop Urban; he is mentioned 1127, and his successor was
Meuruc, or Maurice, consecrated A.D. 1139: he was presented to the Archdeaconry by Bishop David, and at first refused taking the oath to the King of England, though afterwards he was with some difficulty persuaded to it; he died A.D. 1161, and was succeeded by
William Priors, of St. Austin’s, Bristol, A.D. 1162, a very religious and pious man; who was succeeded by
Guy Rufus, Monk of Walham, in the County of Essex, who was consecrated at Ambrosebury, in July 1177; in the year 1188, he accompanied Baldwyn, Archbishop of Canterbury, in his progress through Wales, and died about two years after, 1190: he was succeeded by
Giraldus Cambrensis, who was elected to the See in 1190, but he refused to accept of it then; so it continued vacant till the election of
Alban, or Albanus, Prior of St. John’s, Jerusalem, consecrated April 16, 1195: he died the year following, and was succeeded by
Robert, of Shrewsbury, who was consecrated the 18th of March. He died in 1213, and was buried by his own appointment in the Market-place at Shrewsbury; after his death the See became vacant for two years, when
Martin, Abbot of Albaland, was consecrated June 16, 1215; he sat but a little time, for in the same year we find
Cadwgan, who, as Brown Willis says, is the same with Martin, the one being the name he was known by in England, and the other his original Welsh name; Godwin, says he was Abbot of Llandefid, and being released from his Episcopal charge A.D. 1236, he retired to the Abbey of Dover, in the County of Hereford, and became a Monk, giving the Convent all his goods: he died in 1241, on the 11th of April, and was buried there.
Howel’s Cong’ d‘Elire, is dated June 7, 1236: he dedicated a Monastry built by Llywelyn Prince of Wales, at Llanfaes, in Anglesey; over the grave of Joan his wife, daughter of John, King of England, whose pleasure it was to be buried there.
Richard succeeded, and was consecrated A.D. 1240, or rather 1238 or 1237; because in his Letter to the Pope to resign his Bishoprick, which was about 1268, he pleads his having been Bishop 30 years and upwards.
Anian, Archdeacon of Anglesey, succeeded Richard, and had the Temporalities restored Dec. 12, 1268. He is reported to have held a synod 1291, at St. Mary’s, de Garth Brannan, the ancient Parish Church of Bangor: he also christened Edward II. in Caernarvon Castle, April 25, 1284.
Cadwgan succeeded Asian in 1306; he enjoyed it but a short time, for we meet with the consecration of
Griffith ap Iorwerth, on March 26, 1307, on whose death, which happened 1309
Anian Sais, was elected Bishop Sep. 18, 1309, and consecrated Nov. 9th following; he died Jan. 20, 1327.
Matthew de Englefield, Son of Iorwerth ap Ririd, Archdeacon of Anglesey, aged 40, succeeded, being elected Feb. 25, 1327, confirmed April 25, and consecrated June 12, 1328: he granted Bangor a Charter to keep a Fair on St. Luke’s Day: he died April 25, 1357.
Thomas de Ringstead, S. S. T. P. of Oxford, a Dominican, succeeded, being nominated by the Pope, consecrated Aug. 27, received the Spiritualities Nov. 1357; he died at the Grey Friers in Shrewsbury, and was buried at Huntingdon, he is said to have given £100 for the repairs of this Cathedral.
Gervase de Castro, (probably the same with Gervase Fitz David, who occurs Archdeacon A.D. 1351) Canon of Bangor, a Dominican, succeeded Dec. 11, 1366; received the Spiritualities Feb. 17th following, and died Sep. 1370.
Howel ap Grono, Dean of this Church, seems to have succeeded April 16, 1371; he received the Spiritualities July 31, 1371, and going to settle matters to Rome, he died there, as Brown Willis says, inCuria Romana.
John Gilbert, a Friar preacher, succeeded March 17, 1371, received the Spiritualities July 16, 1372; and the 16th of November following made his profession of obedience to the See of Canterbury Sep. 12, 1375; he was translated to Hereford, and afterward to St. David’s; he died in London, July 28, 1397.
John Swafham, S. Th. P. of Cambridge, a Carmelite of Lynn, in the County of Norfolk, Bishop of Cloyne in Ireland, A.D. 1363, was translated to this See July 2, 1376. There was a Charter granted him in 1387, about appropriating Llan Ynys, and Llan Fair, to the repair of the Church, and support of four Chaplains, to officiate in the Choir: he continued Bishop till 1394, and so no doubt till the election of
Richard Young, L.L.D. Oct. 21, 1399, or May 20, 1400, who had the Temporalities restored in 1404. He was translated to Rochester, where he died.
Benedict Nicholas, called also Nicholas Bennett, Rector of Stapleland, in the County of Wilts, and of Conyngton, in the County of Huntington, which he resigned A.D. 1417, he received the Temporalities July 22, at the request of Arundel, Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Spiritualities, Aug. 10th following: he was afterwards removed to St. David’s, Dec. 15, 1417, whereby room was made for
William Barrow, L.L.D. Chancellor of Oxford 1414 and 1415; Canon of Lincoln, nominated by the Pope, Feb. 16, 1418; made his profession of obedience April 16, 1418; and received the temporalities June the 5th following; about June 1423, he was translated to Carlisle, and succeeded by
John Clederow, who received the temporalities Jan. 15, 1424, and March 30th he made profession of obedience. His Will bears date March 30, 1434; he died Dec. 12, 1435, and was buried at Crayford.
Thomas Cheryton, of the order of Friars Preachers, obtained Licence of consecration Nov. 26, 1436, and died about Dec. 1448, when he was succeeded by
John Stanbery, the most learned Carmelite of his time, nominated by the Pope March 4, 1448; he had before been appointed to Norwich, but the Duke of Suffolk obtained it for his chaplain, he was of the University of Oxford, and greatly in favour with Henry VI. and was appointed by him Provost of his College of Eaton; and also translated to Hereford 1452; he left in his will dated Feb. 25, 1472, a legacy of £30, to repair the Church of Bangor, that was burnt in the troubles of Owen Glyndwr: he died at Hereford, and was succeeded by
James Blackdon, Bishop of Achad or Achonry in Ireland,and also suffragan to Bishop Beckington, Wells, which he resigned on his translation to Bangor, the Temporalities whereof were restored to him March 26, 1452. The Bull of his translation is dated Feb. 7, 1452; he was also Master of St. Catherine’s Hospital: he died Oct. 24, 1464, and was succeeded by
Richard Evynden, S. T. P. Dean of Stoke Clare, in Suffolk, of the order of Friars Minors; who obtained licence of consecration March 18, 1464. In 1468 he represented to the Pope that this Bishoprick was not worth £100 per annum, and so obtained leave to hold other preferments in commendam, by the Pope’s Diploma, granting that whoever had this See should hold some other commendam; as the headship of some Abbey, &c. He died 1496, and was succeeded by
Henry Dean, or Dennys, an Oxford man, Prior of Lanthony, near Gloucester, who had the Temporalities restored as appears by the patent, Oct. 6. 1496. He was a very eminent man, and a great benefactor to the church; he was Chancellor of Ireland and Lord chief Justice 1495, in which office he acted with so much diligence, that the pretended Duke of York was expelled by his means out of the kingdom. He began to re-build this Church and Palace, which had lain in ruins for near one hundred years; but before he had completed the choir, he was in March 22, 1500 translated to Salisbury.
Thomas Pigott, born in Denbighshire, Abbot of Chertsey, and L.L.B. of the University of Oxford, succeeded him; some of his leases to Bangor, are dated at Chertsey, where in all probability he died Aug. 15. 1504.
John Perry, L.L.D. Abbot of Leicester and Prior of Bradley, succeeded Aug. 30, 1505. He held his Abbacy,in commendamuntil he became translated to Carlisle, he was buried at St. Margaret’s in Leicester.
Thomas Pace, alias Skevington or Sheffington, who was born at Skevington in Leicestershire, succeeded March 7, 1508. He was brought up at Merisale, Warwick, where he first became a professed Monk, and went from thence for further instruction to Bernard, (now St. John’s) College, Oxford; he afterwards became Abbot of Waverley and Beauley, in the County of Northampton; which last he heldin commendamwith this See, till his death, and resided mostly there and at London; yet notwithstanding this, he became a very generous benefactor, by rebuilding the Episcopal Palace, on the porch of which is this inscription still remaining over the door; “Thomas Skevington, Epis. Bangor fecit.” and also the Cathedral Church, as we have noticedin another place, he died about the year 1533, and was succeeded by
John Salcot, alias Capon, S. T. P. of the University of Cambridge, Abbot of Holm, in the County of Norfolk, and afterwards of Hyde, in the County of Southampton; a very forward person in soliciting King Henry VIII’s divorce; by virtue of which he became elected Bishop of this See, Jan. 30, and was consecrated April 19, 1534. He was afterwards translated to Salisbury, where he died.
Joh Bird, S. T. P. of Oxford, provincial of the order of Carmelites’ Convent at Coventry, and Bishop of Penruth, was elected July 24, 1539, had the royal assent Sep. 1, confirmed Sep. 18, and had the temporalities restored Sep. 19th following. In 1535 he waited on Bishop Bonner, at Fulham, and brought him a dish of apples and a bottle of wine, and was presented by Bonner to Dunmow living, for a maintenance. In Aug. 1541, be was made the first Bishop of Chester, on the new erection of that See, by King Henry VIII. and was succeeded as Bishop of Bangor by
Arthur Bulkeley, L.L.D. educated at New Inn Hall, Oxford, who was confirmed Dec. 20. 1541, and consecrated Feb. 1541–2; his first preferment was the Rectory of Llan Ddeusant, in the county of Anglesey, to which he was instituted Aug. 18, 1525, and soon after was made canon of St. Asaph; on Aug. 8, 1537, he was made prebend of Clynnog Fechan; and July 15, 1538, admitted Rector of St. James’s, Garlick-hithe, in London, at the presentation of the convent of Westminster, which he quitted Nov. 8, 1544. He died March 14, 1552, and was buried in his own cathedral, in the place where Bishop Skevington’s heart was deposited; after his death the See continued vacant till the consecration of
William Glynn, born at a place called Glynn, in the commot of Malltraeth, and parish of Hen Eglwys, Anglesey; he was master of Queen Ann’s college Cambridge. In 1549 he was presented to St. Martins Le Grand, in London, and made Rector of Hen Eglwys Feb. 3, 1551, and consecrated Bishop of Bangor Sep. 8, 1555. He died May 21, 1558, and was buried in the Choir of his own cathedral, in the 54th year of his age.
Maurice Clennock, L.L.B. a native of Caernarvonshire, Prebendary of York, was nominated to succeed, by Queen Mary, but he died before his consecration was completed. The Bishoprick was next conferred on
Rowland Meyrick, L.L.D. chancellor of St. David’s, and sometime of Wells, and Principal of New Inn Hall, Oxford, born at Bodorgan, in the Parish of Llancadwaladr, Anglesey,who was elected Bishop Dec. 1, 1559. He was at first Rector of Stoke, by Neyland, in the county of Norfolk, and was Precentor of Llan Ddewi Brefi, in the year 1549. He died Sep. 25, 1565, and was buried in his own cathedral, on the south side of the communion table, under the east wall, with an inscription now lost.
Nicholas Robinson, S. Th. P. born at Conway in the county of Carnarvon; Fellow of Queen’s college Cambridge, and chaplain to Archbishop Parker, on March 3, 1556, he was made Dean of Bangor, and in 1562 Archdeacon of Merioneth and Rector of Northop; confirmed Bishop Oct. 6, 1566, with leave to hold the Rectory of Whitney, in the county of Oxford,in commendam. He died Feb. 3, 1584–5, and was buried in his own cathedral, with an inscription on a slate which is effaced, with the exception of these words, “Hic Jacet Nicholas Robinson,” and his successor was
Hugh Bellot. S. T. P. fellow of St. John’s college Cambridge, Vicar of Gresford, and as supposed of Wrexham; elected Bishop Dec. 3, 1585, confirmed Jan. 25th; he was translated to Chester 1595, where he died, after he had sat a few months, and was buried at Wrexham, aged 54 years.
Richard Vaughan, born at Nyffryn, in Lleyn, Carnarvonshire, educated at St. John’s college Cambridge; Archdeacon of Middlesex and Canon of Wells; elected Bishop Nov. 22, had the Temporalities restored March 5, 1595–6: on the 23rd of April 1597, he was translated to Chester, and thence to London, where he died, and lies buried.
Henry Rowlands, S. T. P. of New college Oxford, born at Plas Myllteyrn, in the Parish of Meyllteyrne, Carnarvonshire, of which he became Rector in 1572, afterwards of Naunton in Oxfordshire in 1581, he was made Rector of Aberdaron in Lleyn, 1584 Prebendary of Penmynydd, Anglesey, and Dean of Bangor in 1593. His Conge d‘Elire is dated Aug. 22. During his time, he became a most munificent benefactor to his cathedral, by purchasing four (or according to Goodwin five) bells, and also by new roofing the cathedral; he also founded two fellowships at Jesus college, Oxford; an hospital for six poor men at Bangor, and a Tree school at Bottwnog, being a chapel belonging to Myllteyrn. He died July 6, 1616, and was buried in his own cathedral.
Lewis Bayly, S. T. P. born in Caernarvonshire, chaplain to Prince Henry, and Rector of St. Matthew, Friday Street, London; elected Bishop Aug. 28, 1616. He was a married man, and left behind him four sons, some say he was the author of the “Practice of Piety.” He died Oct. 3, 1631,and was buried in his own cathedral, in Bishop Meyrick’s grave, he was succeeded by
David Dolben, S. T. P. born at Segrwd near Denbigh Prebend of Vaenol in the church of St. Asaph, which he heldin commendamwith his Bishoprick, to which he was elected Nov. 8, 1631. He was a great benefactor to this See, and was descended from an ancient family in Denbighshire. He died unmarried, Nov. 27, 1633, at the palace belonging to his See, in St. Andrews, Holborn, London, and was buried in the church of Hackney, aged 52.
Edmund Griffith, S. T. P. born at Cefn Amwlch, Caernarvonshire, in 1570, succeeded David Dolben, having been elected Dec. 31, 1633: he was canon July 5, 1600: he was preferred to the Rectory of Llanbedrog in the county of Caernarvon, Dec. 10, 1604; and Dean of Bangor Sep. 9, 1613. He died May 26, 1637, and was buried in his own cathedral.
William Roberts, Sub-Dean of Wells, and Archdeacon of Anglesey, was consecrated in Sep. 1637, and had the Temporalities restored during the great rebellion; he suffered much on account of his loyalty, however he had the happiness to live to be restored in 1660. He gave by Will £100 towards adorning and beautifying Bangor choir; and £100 to Queen’s college Cambridge, for maintaining an exhibition for a poor Scholar of the diocese of Bangor, with several other bequests.
Robert Price, S. T. P. Bishop of Fern, in Ireland; son of Colonel Price, of Rhiwlas, in the county of Merioneth, was nominated to succeed; but dying in Ireland, before his election was completed, he made room for
Robert Morgan, born at Bronfraith, in the county of Montgomery; chaplain to Bishop Dolben; he suffered much in the rebellion, prior to his nomination, which took place June 8, 1666. He died Sep. 1673, aged 95, and was succeeded by
Humphrey Lloyd, S. T. P. born at Trawsfynydd, in the county of Merioneth; he was confirmed Nov. 8, and consecrated Nov. 16, 1673. In 1685 he procured the Archdeaconries of Bangor and Anglesey, and the sinecure of Llanrhaiadr, to be annexed to the Bishoprick of Bangor for ever, by Act of Parliament; and two-thirds of both the comportions of Llandinam, to be settled for the support of the fabrick of the cathedral, and the other third for the maintenance of the Vicars of Llandinam. He also new-cast the four bells given by Bishop Rowlands, and added a fifth bell, bigger than any of the former, all at his own charge: and dyingJan. 18, 1688, was buried in Bishop Rowland’s grave, aged 78, and was succeeded by
Humphrey Humphreys, Dean of Bangor, consecrated Bishop of this See June 30, 1689. In 1701 he was translated to Hereford, where he died, and was buried in that cathedral. He was succeeded by
John Evans, S. Th. P. born at Plas du, in the Parish of Llanarmon, Carnarvonshire: consecrated Jan. 4, 1701. In the year 1715, he was translated to Meath in Ireland, and was succeeded at Bangor by
Benjamin Hoadley, D.D. (first English Bishop since the reformation) was confirmed March 27, 1715, and consecrated the next day. In the year 1721, he was translated to Hereford; in 1723, to Salisbury; and in 1734, to Winchester, and was succeeded at Bangor by
Richard Reynolds, L.L.D. consecrated Dec. 3, 1721, and in 1723 translated to Lincoln, where he died 1744, and was succeeded in this See by
William Baker, S. Th. P. consecrated Aug. 1, 1723, and in 1727 he was translated to Norwich, where he died, and was succeeded by
Thomas Sherlock, S. Th. P. consecrated Feb. 4, 1727, a very learned man and an eminent preacher; he was translated to Salisbury, and in 1748 to London.
Charles Cecil, L.L.D. Bishop of Bristol, was appointed to succeed him Sep. 24, 1734; he began to repair the Bishop’s Palace at Bangor, but dying in May 1737 of the Gout in his Stomach; he was succeeded by
Thomas Herring, S. Th. P. Dean of Rochester; elected Aug. 1737. In 1749 he was translated to York; and in 1749, on the decease of Archbishop Potter, to Canterbury, where he died in 1757, and was succeeded at Bangor, as well as in all his preferments, by
Matthew Hutton, S. Th. P. who was consecrated 1743. He succeeded Archbishop Herring in the See of York, and upon his decease to that of Canterbury, where he died the year following.
Zachary Pearce, S. Th. P. Dean of Rochester, afterwards of Winchester, succeeded in 1747, which he resigned in 1756, upon his translation to Rochester, where he died in 1778, and was succeeded at Bangor by
John Egerton, L.L.D. Dean of Hereford, of which See his father was Bishop, who was brother to Scroop Egerton, first Duke of Bridgewater; in 1769 he was translated to Litchfield and Coventry, and from thence to Durham, when he was succeeded by
John Ewer, S. Th. P. Bishop of Landaff, Chaplain to the Duke of Rutland, and Canon of Windsor; he dying in 1775, was succeeded he
John Moore, S. Th. P. Dean of Canterbury, and Chaplain to the Duke of Marlborough. He afterwards became Archbishop of Canterbury; when
Jean Warren, in 1784, was consecrated to the See; who was succeeded by
William Cleaver Bishop of Chester, who removed to St. Asaph, in 1806.
Dr. Randolph, Bishop of Oxford, succeeded, and them
Dr. Majendie, now Bishop.
Iago ap Beli, circiter, A.D. 603.
Arthur de Bardesey, circiter, 1162.
Adams, occurs as Dean in 1278, being a witness to a composition between the Bishop of Bangor, and Lord Grey, of Dyffryn Clwyd
Kynddelw, circiter, 1286
Williams, occurs in the taxation of Pope Nicholas, 1291
Anian Sais, afterwards Bishop of Bangor
Adam, circiter, 1327
Elias fil. Kenrick, occurs as witness to an Inspeximus Charter in 1353
1359
Howel ap Gronow, afterwards Bishop of Bangor
John, occurs in the Lambeth Register, in 1371
David Daron, an adherent to Owen Glyndwr; outlawed in 1406. He was son of Evan ap Davydd ap Gr. a descendant of Caradog ap Iestin, a Prince of Wales. His name frequently occurs in a Dockett Roll at the Prothonatory’s Office, Caernarvon.
William Pollard, an Englishman, was appointed to succeed D. Daron, but never obtained possession
May 5,
1410
Henry Honore, p. c. W. P. He exchanged with his predecessor for the Vicarage of New Church, Kent
June 9,
1413
Roger Wadhele, Cler. p. m. H. H.
Sep. 21,
1416
John Vantort, p. c. R. W. He exchanged with his Predecessor, for the Rectory of St. Mary,ad muras Colchester
Nigelles Bondeby, circiter, 1436
John Martyn, circiter, 1445
Hugh Alcock, circiter 1460. His house at Bangor, now called “Plas Alcock”
Hugh Morgan, circiter, 1468, son of Davydd ap Rees, of Presaddfed
Nicholas Rewys, circiter, 1474
1480
Richard Kyffin, L.L.B. Rector of Llanddwyn. He was instrumental in promoting Henry VII. to the throne of England. His grave stone is still to be seen at Bangor
1504
Richard Cowland, S. T. P.
John Glynn, L.L.B. of Hen eglwys, circiter 1508. His will is presented among the archieves at the Palace in Bangor
Dec. 12,
1534
Robert Evans, L.L.B. p. m. J. G. he was deprived of all his preferments in 1554, for being married
1554
Rhese Powel, p. dep. R. E. conjugat
Oct. 27,
1557
Robert Evans, B.D. re-instituted
Sep. 26,
1570
Roland Thomas, L.L.D. p. m. R. E. a native of Anglesey, Fellow of Magdalen College Cambridge. His will is preserved at the Deanery of Bangor, in which he bequeathes some lands for charitable purposes
June 22,
1588
Bishop Bellot, in commendam
Aug. 29,
1593
Henry Rowlands, B.D. p. c. Epi. afterwards Bishop of Bangor
April 11,
1599
Richard Parry, D.D. p. c. H. R. afterwards Bishop of St. Asaph
May 8,
1605
John Williams, D.D. p. c. R. P. Principal of Jesus College, Oxford, &c.
Sep. 9,
1613
Edmund Griffith, B.D. p. m. J. W. afterwards Bishop of Bangor
March 28,
1634
Griffith Williams, D.D. p. c. E. G. a native of Llanrug. He was made Bishop of Ossory, and had the Rectory of Llanllechid. He was a great sufferer during the Usurpation
May 3,
1673
William Lloyd, D.D. p. m. G. W. afterwards Bishop of St. Asaph
Dee. 16,
1680
Humphrey Humphreys, D.D. p. c. W. L. afterwards Bishop of Bangor
Sep. 4,
1689
John Jones, D. D. p. c. H. H. of Plas gwyn, in the Parish of Pentraeth. He held the Rectories of Llanllechid, Aber, &c.
1727
Peter Maurice, A M. p m. J. J. of Maes mawr, new Corwen
April 26,
1750
Hugh Hughes, A M. p m. P M. of Weeg, near Aber
Sep. 19,
1753
Thomas Lloyd, A M. p m. B H. of Bryn Adda, near Dolgelley
Nov. 11,
1793
John Warren, A M. p m. T L
Vicaria,collationis Episcopi,cum Rectoria Ecclesæ Parochialis Sii. Kedoll,alias Pentir,unit:et annexa.Festa Dec.1, &Nov.1.
1660
John Draycot, A. B. p. m. ullt. Vic. He was a son of Thomas Draycot, principal Registrar of the Diocese, and held the Rectory of Llanddeiniolen; the following inscription is upon his grave, within the Cathedral, “Joh: Draicot, Vic. Bangor, et Rect: Llanddeiniolen. Vir probus et pius, obiit Ap. 17, 1667.”
1688
John Buttred
June 17,
1691
Hugh Johnson, Cler. late Rector of Hen Eglwys. Upon his grave-stone occurs the following inscription: “Hugh Johnson, one of the Vicars of this Cath: Church, who dyed the 4th Feb. 1694, aged 39”
Oct. 5,
1694
Pierce Lewis, A. M. late Rector of Llanfacbreth. He held also the Rectory of Llanfairfechan.
May 15,
1699
Robert Humphreys, A.M. p.m. P.L. He lies buried at Bangor, with the following Epitaph, “Roberti Humphreys, A. M. hujus Ecclesiæ Vicarie Choralis, necnon Parochi de Llanfairvechan Rectoris: Qui obitt 5 Cal. Sep. A.D. 1711, Ætat. 49”
Sep. 17,
1708
Henry Williams, A. M. Rector of Llanrug; afterwards of Llanfaethle
July 28,
1712
Thomas Vincent, A. B. p. m. R. H. he resigned this for Llan fachreth
June 2,
1713
Bulkeley Hughes, A. M. p. c. T. V. also Rector of Edern
July 27,
1713
William Evans, A. M. p. c. H. W also Rector of Llangefni, &c.
April 12,
1740
Thomas Lloyd, Cler. p. m. B. H. afterwards Dean of Bangor
Nov. 12,
1744
Hugh Hughes, A. B. p. m. W. E. late Rector of Trefrhyw
March 12,
1749
John Ellis, L.L.B. p. m. H. H. Archdeacon of Merion.
Dec. 7,
1753
William Lloyd, A. B. p. c. T. L. Precentor of Bangor
Sept. 2,
1760
James Vincent, A. M. p. c. W. L. late master of Bangor School, &c.
Sept. 21,
1773
Richard Griffith, A. M. p. c. J. V. master of Bangor School, &c.
Dec. 5,
1785
John Kyffin, A. M. p. m. J. E. Rector of Trefdraeth
1790
Peter Williams, D. D. p. m. R. G. Rector of Llanbedrog, &c.
1802
John Jones, A. M. p. c. P. W. Archdeacon of Mer. &c.
1810
John Kyffin, p. c. J. K.
1810
James H. Cotton, L.L.B. p. c. J. K.
July 29,
1819
John Hamer, A. B. p. c. J. J.
Charles Rex,
Right truly and well-beloved, and trusty and well-beloved—we greete you well. Whereas a Rebellion being raysed against us, and forces marching toward us, we are necessitated for the defence of our person and crowne, and the religion and laws established, to call upon all our good subjects to assist us; and whereas we are fully persuaded of the affection and loyalty of that our countie, and of their readiness to assist us, their King and Liedge Lord, in this our and their necessary defence, according to their duty and alleagiance. These are to will and require you for that, and with all possible speed, to bring to Shrewsbury to our loyal Standard there to attend our further directions, the trayned bands of that countie, as well horses and foote, with such other volunteers, as your interest in them and their owneaffection shall persuade to come with them. And if the necessary occasions of any of our trayned bands shall withold them, that either themselves or servants or other volunteers be admitted to serve in their places, with their arms compleat, which trayned bands and volunteers with these from other of our counties in our dominion of Wales we intend to serve in our regiments for a guard for our dearest Son the Prince, and receive them into our pay on their arrival at Shrewsbury, whither we desire that our countie in this our greate exigent to furnish them sufficient ammunition for their journey, and money to bear their charges, which we shall look upon as a great expression of affection and fidelity, and shall at all tymes remember to their advantage, and we require all our Justices of the Peace in that our countie to give their assistance unto us herein and all our loving subjects of the same to be obedient to your directions, in pursuance of these our commands, and for soe doing this shall be to you and every of them a sufficient warrant. Given at our Court at Darby this 15th day of September, 1642.
To the Sheriff and Commissioners of Array,in the countie of Carnarvon
Charles Rex.
Right trusty and well-beloved, we greete you well,—We have understood from the Gentlemen you sent to us, your loyal and unanimous resolutions for the advancement of our service, and for your sending to our standard two hundred armed soldiers, and moneys for their conduct and maintenance, for which soe considerable assistance as we return you hereby our royall thanks, soe we must desire you to speede the sending hither of those soldiers unto our standard, all that may be. And least any disaffected to us and our service should presume to oppose you in this work, we authorise and command you to use your utmost power and endeavour to apprehend and bring in safe custodie to us any one or more that shall appear in opposition or disturbance of you herein. As alsoe for your more effectual proceeding in this service, and for the security of our good subjects in that our countie from intestine tumults and danger, to make use of the magazin now remaining there, and of such further power of the countie as to you shall seem meete upon all occasions, for which these our letters shall be your sufficient warrant. Given at our Court at Shrowsbury, the 28th day of September, in the eighteenth year of our raigne, 1642.
To the Commissioners of Array,of the countie of Carnarvon
Charles Rex.
Trusty and well-beloved, having great assurance of your constant and well affections unto us in this time of iminent danger, when our owne and our whole kingdom safety is concerned, and being informed and satisfied how much you have expressed your devotions to our service, We shall at all times bee ready to remember your cheerefulness thereof, and not doubting of your continuance to doe all things that may conduce to the furtherance of our safety, we do hereby give you direction, that for such moneys as you have or shall raise voluntarily within your countie for our assistance this time, over and above what is for the conducting of our owne trayned bands, you do paye the same unto John Owen, of Cleneney, in our countie of Carnarvon, Esq. one of our Colonells, who is thereby to be enabled to rayse a regiment to bring his several companies to our standard. And for so doing this shall be to you and every of you a sufficient warrant.—Given at our Court at Chester, the five and twentieth day of September, 1642.
To the Commissioners of Array,in the countie of Carnarvon
Charles Rex.
Trusty and well beloved, we greete you well. Whereas we have by our commission under our great seal, authorized and intrusted our trustie and well-beloved Colonell John Owen to raise in these parts, command, and unto our royal standard to conduct one regiment of foote, for our special service, our will and pleasure is, that you issue unto the said Colonell all such moneys as by you have been for our use received out of the free subscription or contribution of our good subjects of that our countie, which money we have assigned him upon the account of the said regiment, and for your soe doing this, together with his acquittance acknowledging the receit thereof shall be your sufficient warrant and discharge. Given under our sign manuel at our Court at Shrewsbury this 28th day of September, 1642.
To our trustie and well-beloved Sir Wm. Williams,Bart. and Humphrey Jones,Esq. of the countie of Carnarvon