CHAPTER IV.
FROM 1870 TO 1880.
WITH July, 1870, came another change in the officers of the company, Thomas J. Johnson being elected captain, to rank from April 15th,viceScott, resigned on account of his removal to the southern portion of the state, the other officers retaining their former positions.
Following close upon this election of officers, the company received a full fatigue uniform through the exertions of Colonel Barnes. The description of this uniform is not at hand at the present time, but it is presumed that the only addition was a blue single-breasted blouse of about the pattern now (1894) worn, together with the regulation cap.
The building on the northwest corner of Howard and New Montgomery streets became the armory of the “City Guard,” in February, 1871. The company occupied rooms on the second floor, together with other companies of the regiment, the first drill being held on the 7th of that month. This place was retained as headquarters until November, 1875.
1st Lieutenant David Wilder was elected captain, to rank from March 14, 1871,viceJohnson, resigned on account of sickness. Ranlett was promoted to the 1st lieutenancy, and J. Henry P. Gedge to fill the position left vacant by Ranlett, both to rank from March 23d.
An organization in Amador county, this state, known as the Laborers’ League, was formed for the protection of white labor, and not only miners, but many others, belonged to it. They assumed to fix the wages to suit themselves, and any one who refused to accept their terms was not allowed to work. Trouble, therefore, ensued between them and the mine-owners,as the latter would not recognize the right of the league to interfere in their business arrangements. A strike was ordered in consequence. The mines were shut down, for the league would not allow any one to work, not even at the pumps, in order to keep the mines free from water. Damages to the extent of about $75,000 having been accomplished by the strikers, the owners of these mines called upon the governor for protection.
This was the condition of affairs on June 22, 1871, when Colonel W. H. L. Barnes, commanding the First Infantry, received orders from general headquarters at Sacramento to immediately detail a battalion of two companies for service in the field. The entire regiment was assembled, “B” reporting with forty-eight rank and file, but companies “C” and “E” were selected for this campaign. As more men were necessary than were available in the companies named, details from the balance of the regiment were made to fill up the ranks of the battalion. Although the “B” boys were all anxious to go, Captain Wilder was only allowed to detail one sergeant, two corporals, and ten privates, namely: Sergeant T. N. Weightman, Corporals James J. E. Hawkins and Arthur A. Palmer, Privates George G. Bergstrom, Charles W. Bryant, James M. Guerin, August G. Jenny, John Martin, William V. McConnell, Harry F. Middleton, William M. Noyes, E. E. Stacy, and H. Nelson Wright. The battalion was under the command of Major J. F. Bronson.
The detailed battalion left the same day that the order was received, and was gone twenty-seven days. Their duty was performed so well that they experienced no trouble from the miners.
Major Bronson died soon after his arrival home, caused by the exposure during the campaign. C. Poindexter gives evidence to the fact that James Guerin of “B” also died from the same causes after arriving at his home.
In the latter part of the year 1871, another fire occurred in the armory of the “City Guard,” this time destroying the records of the company, and doing great damage to the arms and other property of the organization. S. O., No. 34, series of 1871, from general headquarters at Sacramento, and dated December 20th, condemns the arms and accoutrements of the “City Guard,” Company B, First Regiment of Infantry, N. G. C.,which were damaged by fire, and a requisition for new approved.
Lieutenant Gedge resigned on December 28, 1872, and Sidney M. Smith was elected second lieutenant to fill this vacancy, with rank from January 2, 1873. June 5th following found Wilder re-elected to the captaincy, while Smith was advanced to first lieutenant,viceRanlett; Henry A. Plate, second lieutenant,viceSmith promoted.
In 1873 the First Regiment received new arms and equipments, and the new regulation uniform. General Order No. 1, from headquarters of the National Guard of California, dated January 30, 1873, adopts the United States regulation uniform for the forces of this state. These arms and equipments, together with the uniforms, were paid for through the efforts of Colonel W. H. L. Barnes, who raised upwards of $30,000 to pay for same. These rifles were the first of the breech-loaders to be received by any organization on the coast, and it was because of the energetic leaders that the regiment was so fitted out. On June 22d the “City Guard” received its quota of the new arms, duplicate receipts being given to Colonel Barnes, Lieutenant Colonel George W. Granniss, and Major Oscar Woodhams, as trustees for said property, the same to be returned upon demand, viz., sixty each of the following: Sharp’s metallic cartridge army rifles, caliber fifty and model new, bayonets, cartridge boxes and plates, cartridge-box belts, waist-belts and plates, uniform hats. The company returned the old ones to Sacramento on the 25th, three days later.
The uniform adopted was of the same general description as that of 1866, with perhaps a few minor changes.
The following officers were elected with rank from April 1, 1875: Henry A. Plate, captain,viceWilder promoted major; Thomas J. O’Keeffe, first lieutenant,viceSmith; Edward F. Sellick, second lieutenant,vicePlate promoted.
COMPANY BADGE.
The first mention of a badge for the company was made on October 9, 1873, a number of designs being offered, but no immediate action was taken. Between this date and the New Year discussions were had upon the subject, and in February, 1874, an attempt was made to abandon the idea, but this was voted down. Matters rested until the early months of the following year, when about fifteen designs were again offered, and from these, five or six of the best onesselected, and given into the hands of a committee. This committee made up one design, adopting the best features of those in hand, and presented the result to the company for final action. This badge was accepted, as near as the writer can determine, some time during June, 1875. Afacsimileof this badge can be seen on the cover of this book.
The “City Guard,” together with the entire regiment, participated in the 2nd brigade encampment held at San Rafael on the 20th, 21st, and 22d of May, 1875, Brevet Major General W. L. Elliott, U. S. A., being in command. Quite a number of United States troops were also present.
One of the most pleasing episodes in the history of the company occurred on August 7, 1875, when Captain Plate, on behalf of himself and sister, Miss Josie Plate, presented to the organization a beautiful silk national flag, which has ever been prized most highly by the members of the “City Guard,” and many are the times that they have paraded beneath its classic folds.
Upon this same evening the captain also presented to the company what is known as the Plate Badge. This badge is the permanent property of the “City Guard,” and it is annually placed in competition as a shooting decoration. This badge is described as a massive scroll shield, weighing almost two ounces in gold. In the center of this shield is the monogram “C. G.” in large lettering, surmounted by a bear, over which stands in bold relief the name “Plate Badge,” all of which is enameled in black, the groundwork being beautifully hand chased. On the reverse side is the following inscription: Presented to the “City Guard” by Captain H. A. Plate, August 7, 1875. Miss Josie Plate was elected an honorary member of the company on the 19th of August. She is the only lady who has that distinction.
Some time previous to September, 1875, this company received the breech-loading Springfield rifle from the state authorities. These are the 45-70 now in use. Sixty were allotted to “B.”
The second week of November of this year found the company located in a new home. This time the move was made to No. 318 Post street, opposite the square, between Stockton and Powell streets, on the north side. This armory was owned and occupied by Company C, the “National Guard” of the First. Here the “City Guard” remained until the last of July, 1879.
Another beautiful annual shooting prize was presented to the company by Miss May C. Bourn, on the evening of May 4, 1876. This handsome affair is in the shape of a heavy solid silver cup or vase, and is known generally as the “Bourn Cup.” The winner of this cup holds it for one year, when it is then again competed for.
Not to be outdone by others in this era of beautiful gifts, Color Corporal Louis R. Townsend, the old-old veteran, came gallantly forward on July 4th with another very appropriate gift to the company of a flag-case. This flag-case is built of oak and ebony woods, with the entire front of glass. It is sufficiently large to hold the full spread of the “City Guard” flag so kindly presented during the previous year. The case, with the flag therein, now adorns the wall of “B’s” headquarters. With the true characteristic feeling of a “City Guard” veteran, and a true soldier, the corporal caused the following inscription to be carved upon the base of this gift:
Beneath thy folds we march at duty’s call,With thee we’ll conquer, or with thee we’ll fall.
Beneath thy folds we march at duty’s call,With thee we’ll conquer, or with thee we’ll fall.
Beneath thy folds we march at duty’s call,With thee we’ll conquer, or with thee we’ll fall.
Beneath thy folds we march at duty’s call,
With thee we’ll conquer, or with thee we’ll fall.
On October 20, 1876, the company was under arms in anticipation of a riot and threats of attack upon the Chinese quarter of San Francisco. November 7th following found the organization again under arms, and this, too, for the same reason. The National Guard was held in readiness during this period for active duty, there being considerable excitement in the city over the troubles caused by unscrupulous agitators.
December 28th found the “City Guard Rifle Range” completed at San Bruno. This range was the gift of Captain Plate, who with William Unger, Charles Slocum, and the old veteran Lou Townsend, devoted their labor to its construction. This range was used for a good many years; but, finally, on account of the time lost in traveling to and fro, and to the lack of interest in shooting, it was finally given up.
At the election for officers in 1877 John H. Dickinson was elected Captain,vicePlate; E. F. Selleck, First Lieutenant,viceO’Keeffe; and Louis R. Townsend, Second Lieutenant,viceSelleck promoted; all to rank from April 5th.
The excitement of the previous year continued well into 1877 and 1878, and things began to get warmer and warmer for the Chinese as time rolled on. Kearney and his crowd of agitators were at work, endeavoring, as they claimed, to drivethe hated race from our shores. Matters got beyond the control of the local authorities, and they called upon the governor for aid. That part of the National Guard located in San Francisco was ordered under arms on July 23, 1877, and were held in its armories for a period of seven days. The Safety Committee, having been organized into pick-handle brigades, patrolled the streets of the city, while the organized and well-disciplined troops were cooped up in their armories, and were not allowed to do the duty which they had taken an oath to perform. Was this not strange? Perhaps the following will serve to explain matters somewhat.
The chief of police, together with the other civil authorities, was jealous of his powers, and feared to put matters into the hands of the military. Why? Because they feared that some one else would reap a little benefit besides themselves, and that they might lose a vote or two, perhaps. ’Tis the same old story, which is told and retold so many times over, jealousy and the narrow-minded policy of self-interest. In the absence of martial law the civil authorities were, of course, in full control, and the military were subservient unto them. They saw fit to keep disciplined organizations in their armories, while the undisciplined citizens were parading the streets with their bits of wood. Time and again have the National Guards of our different states been placed in just such a predicament, and when politics are thrust into the background, and civil offices are occupied by fair-minded men whose sole aim is the welfare of the state, and not till then, will the National Guard occupy the place designed for it in the government of our country.
But we’re outflanking our story. Therefore to resume. These much abused civil authorities must have become ashamed of themselves, for, upon the night of July 29th, they detailed the military to the water-front in order that they might protect the piles of potatoes that were strewn around on the wharves. From what? It must have been from the wharf-rats, as all trouble had ceased to exist in the city, as is evidenced by the fact that next morning, the 30th, all were dismissed to their homes, military, pick-handle brigades, and all.
On November 10th, the troops were again called out for duty for a period of nine days, the cause being the same as above stated. Again, on January 16, 1878, the troops were called upon for aid in quelling rioters. This time their tourof duty lasted for eleven days. It is needless to say that the “City Guard” was prominent among the city’s defenders, even to the guarding of the potato-sacks.
The “City Guard” participated in the regimental encampment held at Sacramento from September 18th to the 22d, 1878, inclusive. This camp was named after the Commander-in-chief, Governor Irwin. It was at this camp that the State Agricultural Society gave two prizes for a competitive drill. Each competing company was to drill for an hour, three regular army officers being judges. Company “D” of the First took the first prize of $300, and the “City Guard” the second of $200. The first prize was won by but a very few points indeed.
April 5, 1879, found Captain Dickinson and First Lieutenant Selleck re-elected, and Henry A. Plate as 2d Lieutenant to rank from the same date,viceTownsend.
The company was on duty again during the Kalloch-De Young troubles of 1879. The members, with few exceptions, placed their pay direct into the treasury of the company.
On August 1st of this year the company removed from the armory then occupied to No. 428 Post street, north side, between Powell and Mason streets. The building was once known as Mrs. Mirasole’s dancing academy. Many a good time was had there, too. Here the company remained until June 1, 1881.
Camp Walsh was the camp pitched by the First Regiment at Sacramento, from September 10th to the 14th, 1879, inclusive. The members of the “City Guard” enjoyed themselves very much indeed at this camp.
During the ten years covered by this chapter the “City Guard” of course paid considerable attention to the social features that necessarily take place in an organization of this kind. Parties, picnics, target excursions, out-of-town trips, camps, and rackets claimed their proper attention. It became hard, however, for company commanders to keep their companies up to a proper military standard, and the attention to these duties was of a lukewarm nature. A great many things worked against the making of prosperous commands. The “City Guard” felt the influences of these conditions, and continued to feel them, too, away along toward the middle of the eighties, when new life was gradually let into the organization, and conditions became more encouraging and satisfactory to those who took the deepest interest in company affairs.