CERAMIC ART IN GREAT BRITAIN.
CERAMIC ART IN GREAT BRITAIN.
Potteries of the Tyne, Tees, and Wear—Newcastle-on-Tyne—Warburton Pottery—Newcastle Pottery or Forth Banks Pottery—Stepney Bank Pottery—Ouseburn Bridge Pottery—Ouseburn Ford Pottery—Ouseburn Potteries—Low Pottery—South Shore Pottery—Phœnix Pottery—St. Peter’s Pottery—Gateshead—Carr’s Hill Pottery—St. Anthony’s Pottery—Sherriff Hill Pottery—Tyne Main Pottery—North Shields—Low Light Pottery—South Shields—Tyne or Shields Pottery—North Hylton—South Hylton or Ford—Southwick Pottery—Wear Pottery—High Southwick Pottery—Deptford Pottery—Monkwearmouth—Sheepfold Pottery—Sunderland Pottery and the Garrison Pottery—Seaham Harbour—Newbottle—Bishop Auckland—New Moor Pottery—Stockton-on-Tees—Stafford Pottery—North Shore Pottery—Middlesborough-on-Tees—Wolviston Pottery—Coxhoe Pottery—Alnwick.
Potteries of the Tyne, Tees, and Wear—Newcastle-on-Tyne—Warburton Pottery—Newcastle Pottery or Forth Banks Pottery—Stepney Bank Pottery—Ouseburn Bridge Pottery—Ouseburn Ford Pottery—Ouseburn Potteries—Low Pottery—South Shore Pottery—Phœnix Pottery—St. Peter’s Pottery—Gateshead—Carr’s Hill Pottery—St. Anthony’s Pottery—Sherriff Hill Pottery—Tyne Main Pottery—North Shields—Low Light Pottery—South Shields—Tyne or Shields Pottery—North Hylton—South Hylton or Ford—Southwick Pottery—Wear Pottery—High Southwick Pottery—Deptford Pottery—Monkwearmouth—Sheepfold Pottery—Sunderland Pottery and the Garrison Pottery—Seaham Harbour—Newbottle—Bishop Auckland—New Moor Pottery—Stockton-on-Tees—Stafford Pottery—North Shore Pottery—Middlesborough-on-Tees—Wolviston Pottery—Coxhoe Pottery—Alnwick.
The following brief account of the earthenware works of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and its district, drawn up for the British Association, in 1863, by Mr. C. T. Maling, one of the manufacturers, may serve as an introduction to this chapter. “The manufacture of white earthenware was introduced into this district by Mr. Warburton, at Carr’s Hill Pottery, near Gateshead, about 1730 or 1740. Those works were very successfully carried on for seventy years, when they gradually declined, and in 1817 were closed. A small portion of the building is still used as a brown ware pottery. The next manufactory was built by Mr. Byers, at Newbottle, in the county of Durham, about 1755, where brown and white earthenware still continues to be made. In 1762, Messrs. Christopher Thompson and John Maling erected works at North Hilton, in the county of Durham; their successor, Mr. Robert Maling, in 1817 transferred his operations to the Tyne, where his descendants still continue the manufacture. St. Anthony’s, Stepney Bank, and Ouseburn Old Potteries were commenced about the year 1780 or 1790. Messrs. A. Scott & Co. and Messrs. Samuel Moore & Co. erected potteries at Southwick, near Sunderland, the former in the year 1789, the latter in 1803. The pottery carried on by Messrs. John Dawson & Co., at South Hylton, was built by them in 1800. The works of Messrs. John Carr & Sons, at North, Shields, wereerected in 1814. Messrs. Thomas Fell & Co. built St. Peter’s Pottery in 1817. The establishment of Messrs. Skinner & Co., Stockton-on-Tees, dates from 1824. There are now about twenty-five potteries in this district, of which, on the Tyne, six manufacture white and printed wares, four white, printed, and brown wares, and three brown ware only, employing 1,200 people, and manufacturing yearly about 12,000 tons of white clay and 3,000 tons of brown clay, and consuming in the process of manufacture about 34,000 tons of coals. On the Wear there are two potteries manufacturing white and printed wares, two white, printed, and brown wares, and two brown ware only, employing about 500 people, manufacturing yearly about 4,000 tons of white clay, 1,500 tons of brown clay, and consuming in the manufacture about 14,000 tons of coals. On the Tees there are four potteries manufacturing white and printed wares, employing 500 people, manufacturing 5,000 tons of white clay and consuming 13,000 tons of coals. Two potteries at Norton manufacture brown wares; the particulars of their operations the author has not been able to obtain. The potteries in this district, being situated upon navigable rivers, have great advantages over their inland competitors, Staffordshire and Yorkshire. The expenses on clay from sea freight and inland carriage average 13s. per ton to Staffordshire, and 5s. per ton to this district; and in flints the advantage is still greater, in Staffordshire the average being 19s. per ton against 4s. 6d. per ton here. Coals, although a little dearer here per ton, are so much superior in quality that 80 tons of Newcastle coals are equal to 100 tons of Yorkshire or Staffordshire coals. About 1858 Messrs. Skinner & Co., of Stockton-on-Tees, first applied Needham & Kite’s patent filtering press for expelling the surplus water from the slip, which had formerly been done by evaporation. This is a much cleaner and better process than the old system, and is now adopted by thirty or forty potteries in England and Scotland. With the exception of three potteries in this district and at Glasgow, machinery has been very little applied to the manufacture of earthenware, and even at these works not nearly to the extent to which it is capable of being profitably adopted. One manufactory on the Tyne, Ford Pottery, having the best machinery, supplies at least 80 per cent. of the jars used by confectioners for marmalade and jam, &c., in England and Scotland. The description of goods manufactured in this district is that used by the middle and working classes, no first class goods being made here. The principal markets,in addition to the local trade, are the Danish, Norwegian, German, Mediterranean, and London, for exportation to the colonies. The trade to the United States being so very small from here, the American war has affected this district less than any other.”
The potteries of the Tyne are:—
Warburton Potterywas established about 1730; its site was on Pandon Dean, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Coarse ware was, I believe, its only product. It was removed between 1740 and 1750 to Carr’s Hill, Gateshead (which see).
Newcastle Pottery, orForth Banks Pottery, commenced operations about 1800, by Messrs. Addison and Falconer. Some years after it passed into the occupation of Messrs. Redhead, Wilson, and Co., then Messrs. Wallace and Co., who now make only brown ware, but formerly manufactured white and printed ware also.
TheStepney Bank Potterywas established about 1780 or 1790, for the production of the common earthenware. In 1801 it was occupied by Messrs. Head and Dalton; in 1816 by Messrs. Dryden, Coxon, and Basket; in 1822 by Messrs. Davies, Coxon, and Wilson; in 1833 by Messrs. Dalton and Burn, who were succeeded by Mr. G. R. Turnbull, by whom the character of the ware was considerably improved. About 1872 the works passed into the hands of Mr. John Wood, who produces both white and brown ware.
Ouseburn Bridge Potterywas commenced in 1817, by Mr. Robert Maling (seeNorth Hylton Pottery), who manufactured white and printed ware chiefly for the Dutch market. He was succeeded, in 1853, by his son, C. T. Maling, who in 1859 built Ford Pottery, and discontinued his old works. They were re-opened under the name of the Albion Pottery, by Bell Brothers, about 1863; next by Atkinson and Galloway, and lastly by Mr. W. Morris, and were finally closed in 1872.
Ford Pottery.—This pottery was built in 1859 by Mr. Christopher T. Maling, son of Mr. Robert Maling, who, in 1817, had removed the Hylton pottery[1]to Newcastle. The works were erected for the purpose of manufacturing by machinery the various goods produced by Mr. Maling, the main bulk of which are marmalade, jam, and extract-of-beef pots. These are of a very fine and compact white body, with an excellent glaze made from borax without any lead; and it is said that at least 95 per cent. of these pots used by wholesale manufacturers in Great Britain are made at this establishment. The pots being entirely made by machinery are necessarily much more uniform in size and weight and thickness than those produced by any other process, and these, as well as the excellence of body and glaze, are advantages which have been appreciated. The mark used is simply the name orMALINGimpressed in the clay,with, sometimes, the initial of the house for whom they are made, as for “Keiller,” and so on.
Ouseburn Potterywas built about the same date as Stepney Bank Pottery, by Mr. Yellowley, who was succeeded by Messrs. T. and J. Thompson, then by Mr. I. Maling; it was finally closed about 1864. White, printed, and brown ware were its productions.
Another“Ouseburn Pottery”was established, at the latter end of last or the early part of the present century, by Mr. Ralph Charlton, who carried on the business on a small scale for the manufacture of brown ware. On his death he was succeeded by his son, John Charlton, who after a few years gave up the business, and was succeeded by Mr. George Gray who, or his predecessor, enlarged the kilns, &c. Mr. Gray was succeeded in the business by Messrs. Morrow and Parker, from whose hands it passed into those of Mr. Rogers, who erected another kiln and otherwise extended the buildings. It was next worked by Mr. William Blakey, who held it until 1860, when it passed into the hands of Messrs. Robert Martin and Co., who still continue the business. The goods made are brown ware, and brown ware lined with white, in all the usual classes of domestic vessels.
Another “Ouseburn Pottery,” established some years ago, passedin 1860 into the hands of Mr. John Hedley Walker. Its productions are plain and ornamented flower-pots, chimney-pots, and horticultural vessels of various kinds, as well as the lead-pots and lead-dishes which are so extensively used in the lead works of the district.
TheLow Pottery, identical with the Ouseburn Pottery, now discontinued, was carried on by Messrs. Thompson Brothers, for the manufacture of white and Sunderland wares.
South Shore Pottery.—Now discontinued.
The Phœnix Potterywas built by John Dryden and Co., about 1821, for the manufacture of brown ware. White and printed ware were made afterwards. About 1844, it passed into the hands of Messrs. Isaac Bell and Co. for a short time; it was afterwards purchased and carried on by Messrs. Carr and Patton (who at same time had North Shields Pottery); it was then carried on by Mr. John Patton; next by Messrs. Cook Brothers, who discontinued manufacturing earthenware in 1860, and converted the premises into a Chemical Factory.
Mr. John Charlton had also a small manufactory in the Ouseburn.
St. Peter’s Potterywas established in 1817 by Messrs. Thomas Fell and Thomas Bell under the style of “Thomas Fell & Co.,” by whom it was carried on until 1869, when it became a limited liability company under the same title; the shareholders being the descendants of the original proprietors. The productions are still, as they have always been, the ordinary classes of common earthenware, in white, printed, and sponged varieties. The mark was formerly an anchor with the letterF(for “Fell”) on one side, and the workman’s mark or number on the other, impressed in the body of the ware. Later on this mark was discontinued, and the name FELL substituted. Under the company only printed ware is marked, and that bears the name FELL & Co.
St. Anthony’s Pottery.—This is one of the oldest potteries for fine ware on the Tyne, being established about 1780, but nothing is known as to its earlier history. In 1803 or 1804 it passed into thehands of a Mr. Sewell, in whose family it has continued to the present day, under the styles of “Sewell & Donkin,” and “Sewell & Co.” The following particulars were furnished to me by the aged manager of the works, Mr. T. T. Stevenson:—
“I cannot go back to say when first begun as a Small White and Common Brown Ware Works, but about 1803 or 1804 it was taken by the Sewells, and gradually extended by them for Home trade until 1814 or 1815, when a considerable addition was made to manufacture entirely for exportation, chieflyC.C.or Cream Coloured, Painted, and Blue Printed, and when I came to the Works in 1819, the description of ware then produced say about five Gloss Ovens and two or three Enamel Kilns per week, say C.C. and best Cream Colour toimitate Wedgwood’sTable Ware then made in considerable quantities for Holland and other Continental markets, all kinds of Biscuit Painted, Printed very dark engraved patterns, also Stamping withGlue, and Printing on the Glaze from Wood Engravings, also withGlue, I believe the first that was done in this way, Gold and Silver lustre, &c. So it has been continued up to the present period by the Sewell family; but latterly not doing so much business, owing to a change of partnership, and is at present in the market for sale since the death of Mr. Henry Sewell, the natural son of the late Joseph Sewell, who was the Potter for nearly sixty years, and was a noble specimen of a good master and the old English gentleman.”
“I cannot go back to say when first begun as a Small White and Common Brown Ware Works, but about 1803 or 1804 it was taken by the Sewells, and gradually extended by them for Home trade until 1814 or 1815, when a considerable addition was made to manufacture entirely for exportation, chieflyC.C.or Cream Coloured, Painted, and Blue Printed, and when I came to the Works in 1819, the description of ware then produced say about five Gloss Ovens and two or three Enamel Kilns per week, say C.C. and best Cream Colour toimitate Wedgwood’sTable Ware then made in considerable quantities for Holland and other Continental markets, all kinds of Biscuit Painted, Printed very dark engraved patterns, also Stamping withGlue, and Printing on the Glaze from Wood Engravings, also withGlue, I believe the first that was done in this way, Gold and Silver lustre, &c. So it has been continued up to the present period by the Sewell family; but latterly not doing so much business, owing to a change of partnership, and is at present in the market for sale since the death of Mr. Henry Sewell, the natural son of the late Joseph Sewell, who was the Potter for nearly sixty years, and was a noble specimen of a good master and the old English gentleman.”
The fact of printing on pottery fromwoodengravings, being practised at these works, is highly interesting, as I have been enabled to ascertain that engravings by Bewick were thus brought into use; specimens are, however, very rare. In the Museum of Practical Geology are examples of St. Anthony’s ware; they bear the marks—
SEWELL SEWELL & DONKIN SEWELLS & DONKIN SEWELLS & CO.
TheCarr’s Hill Potterywas the first manufactory for white ware in the North of England. Painted, enamelled, and brown ware was also made. It was established about 1750, by a Mr. Warburton, who removed to this place from Newcastle (seeWarburton Pottery), and was successfully carried on by him and his successors until 1817, when it was closed. A part of the premises was afterwards carried on by Messrs. Kendall and Walker, and later still by Messrs. Isaac Fell and Co.
Sherriff Hill Pottery.—These works are carried on by Mr. George Patterson, as the successor of the firm of Jackson and Patterson. His chief productions are white ware, which are supplied largely to the Norwegian Markets.
Messrs. Lewins and Parsons are also stated to have had a pottery here for the manufacture of the common kinds of earthenware.
Tyne Main Pottery, on the opposite side of the river to St. Peter’s, was built by Messrs. R. Davies and Co., in the year 1833, and carried on by them, manufacturing white, printed, and lustre ware, chiefly for the Norwegian market. It was closed in 1851. Mr. R. C. Wilson, the managing partner, then commenced manufacturing at Seaham Harbour.
There was also a pottery at Heworth Shore, carried on by Patterson, Fordy, and Co. It was closed about 1835.
There was also a pottery at Jarrow for a few years, which manufactured brown ware only.
The “Low Light Pottery” was established in 1814, by Mr. Nicholas Bird, and afterwards passed from him, in or about 1829, to Messrs. Cornfoot, Colville, and Co. The firm was afterwards changed to Cornfoot, Patton, and Co., and on the withdrawal of Mr. Cornfoot, and the addition of Mr. John Carr, the style was changed to that of “Carr and Patten.” Next the firm was “John Carr and Co.,” and when the concern became the property of the first of these partners, the late Mr. John Carr, he and his sons carried it on under the style of “John Carr and Sons.” It is still continued by the same family under that style. Originally brown and black wares of the usual common kinds were made, in addition to the ordinary earthenware, but in 1856 these were discontinued, and the ordinary white earthenware in cream coloured, printed, painted, and lustred varieties substituted; these are the only productions of the firm. These goods are exported principally to the Mediterranean ports and to Alexandria, for transport to Cairo, and by the Red Sea to Bombay, &c. It is for these markets that the goods are mainly manufactured. In brown ware, common mugs, butter-jars, pancheons, milk-pans, &c., were produced; and in black ware, Egyptian black and smeared tea-pots, cream ewers, and other articles were produced. The mark, which, however, has been but seldom used, is a stag’s head.
TheTyneorShields Potterywas established about 1830, by a Mr. Robertson, from whom, about 1845, it passed into the hands of Mr.John Armstrong; by whom the works were considerably enlarged. In 1871 the concern was purchased by Messrs. Isaac Fell and George Shields Young, by whom it is still carried on under the style of “Isaac Fell and Co.” The goods manufactured are “Sunderland” and “brown” wares, of which large quantities are shipped for the Continent, as well as supplied to the London, Scottish, and other home markets. The goods are, as usual, made from the common brick clay, and after drying are lined inside with white slip; and they are glazed with lead glaze. The “Tyne Pottery” is, with the exception of the works of Messrs. Harwood, at Stockton-on-Tees, the largest in the district for this kind of pottery.
The Potteries of the Wear are:—
A pottery was established here in 1762, by Messrs. Christopher Thompson and John Maling, for the manufacture of the ordinary brown and white earthenware for the home trade, and also for France: the first printed ware made in the North of England was manufactured here. The works were also celebrated for their enamel and lustre wares. In 1817 their successor, Mr. Robert Maling, removed his works from Hylton to the neighbourhood of Newcastle-on-Tyne, where he manufactured principally for the Dutch markets. They were afterwards carried on by Dixon, Austin, Phillips, and Co., who at the same time carried on the Sunderland Pottery (which see).
In the Mayer Museum is an excellent example of this lustre ware. It is a large jug, of creamy-white earthenware, very light, ornamented with purple lustre in wavy lines, &c. On one side of the jug is an engraved and coloured view of the iron bridge over the river Wear, and underneath it (engraved and transferred from the same plate) in three small ovals, with borders, &c., are the inscriptions:—“A South-East View of the Iron Bridge over the Wear, near Sunderland. Foundation-stone laid by R. Burdon, Esq., September 24th, 1795. Opened, August 9th, 1796. Nil Desperandum. Auspice Deo.” “Cast Iron, 214 tons; Wrought do., 40.” “Height, 100 feet; Span, 256.” “J. Phillips, Hylton Pottery.” On the other side of the jug is another engraving, having in its centre a tree, on one side of which, in the distance, is a ship, and on the other a public-house. In the foreground of the ship side of the tree is a sailor; and on the other a woman with hat and feathers, anumbrella, and a little dog. Underneath are the words—“Jack on a Cruise. ‘Avast there! Back your maintopsail.’” In front of the jug, beneath the spout, in an oval, occurs the verse:—
“REST IN HEAVEN.“There is an hour of peaceful restTo mourning wanderers given;There’s a tear for souls distrest,A balm for every wounded breast—’Tis found above in Heaven.”
“There is an hour of peaceful restTo mourning wanderers given;There’s a tear for souls distrest,A balm for every wounded breast—’Tis found above in Heaven.”
“There is an hour of peaceful restTo mourning wanderers given;There’s a tear for souls distrest,A balm for every wounded breast—’Tis found above in Heaven.”
“There is an hour of peaceful rest
To mourning wanderers given;
There’s a tear for souls distrest,
A balm for every wounded breast—
’Tis found above in Heaven.”
In my own collection is another example of this white ware with purple “lustre-splash” ornament. On one side is an engraving, in an oval, of the same bridge; and around the oval the inscription—“A West View of the Cast Iron Bridge over the River Wear; built by R. Burdon, Esq. Span, 236 feet; height, 100 feet. Begun, 24 Sept., 1795. Opened, 9 Aug., 1796.” On the other side, a ship in full sail. Another example is a punch-bowl. Like the others, it is decorated with purple lustre, and with views, ships, and verses in transfer-printing. On the bottom, inside, is a similar view of the Wear bridge to the one just described, in an oval, with the same inscription. The inside is divided into three compartments, in one of which is a ship in full sail, with the words—
“May Peace and PlentyOn our nation smile,And Trade and CommerceBless the British Isle.”
“May Peace and PlentyOn our nation smile,And Trade and CommerceBless the British Isle.”
“May Peace and PlentyOn our nation smile,And Trade and CommerceBless the British Isle.”
“May Peace and Plenty
On our nation smile,
And Trade and Commerce
Bless the British Isle.”
in another, in a border of flowers, surmounted by a small ship, is this verse:—
“Glide on, my bark, the summer’s tideIs gently flowing by thy side;Around thy prow the waters bright,In circling rounds of broken light,Are glittering as if ocean gaveHer countless gems to deck the wave.”
“Glide on, my bark, the summer’s tideIs gently flowing by thy side;Around thy prow the waters bright,In circling rounds of broken light,Are glittering as if ocean gaveHer countless gems to deck the wave.”
“Glide on, my bark, the summer’s tideIs gently flowing by thy side;Around thy prow the waters bright,In circling rounds of broken light,Are glittering as if ocean gaveHer countless gems to deck the wave.”
“Glide on, my bark, the summer’s tide
Is gently flowing by thy side;
Around thy prow the waters bright,
In circling rounds of broken light,
Are glittering as if ocean gave
Her countless gems to deck the wave.”
and on the third, is a similar border:—
“THE SAILOR’S TEAR.“He leap’d into the boat,As it lay upon the strand,But, oh! his heart was far awayWith friends upon the land;He thought of those he lov’d the best,A wife and infant dear;And feeling fill’d the sailor’s breast,The sailor’s eye—a tear.”
“He leap’d into the boat,As it lay upon the strand,But, oh! his heart was far awayWith friends upon the land;He thought of those he lov’d the best,A wife and infant dear;And feeling fill’d the sailor’s breast,The sailor’s eye—a tear.”
“He leap’d into the boat,As it lay upon the strand,But, oh! his heart was far awayWith friends upon the land;He thought of those he lov’d the best,A wife and infant dear;And feeling fill’d the sailor’s breast,The sailor’s eye—a tear.”
“He leap’d into the boat,
As it lay upon the strand,
But, oh! his heart was far away
With friends upon the land;
He thought of those he lov’d the best,
A wife and infant dear;
And feeling fill’d the sailor’s breast,
The sailor’s eye—a tear.”
On the outside, are also three engravings. The first is a ship in full sail; the next a border of flowers with a small “world” at top, with the verse:—
“This is a good world to live in,To lend, or to spend, or to give in,But to beg or to borrow,Or to get a man’s own,It is such a worldAs never was known.”
“This is a good world to live in,To lend, or to spend, or to give in,But to beg or to borrow,Or to get a man’s own,It is such a worldAs never was known.”
“This is a good world to live in,To lend, or to spend, or to give in,But to beg or to borrow,Or to get a man’s own,It is such a worldAs never was known.”
“This is a good world to live in,
To lend, or to spend, or to give in,
But to beg or to borrow,
Or to get a man’s own,
It is such a world
As never was known.”
and the third has a border of flowers and the verse:—
“The loss of gold is great,The loss of health is more.But losing Christ is such a lossAs no man can restore.”
“The loss of gold is great,The loss of health is more.But losing Christ is such a lossAs no man can restore.”
“The loss of gold is great,The loss of health is more.But losing Christ is such a lossAs no man can restore.”
“The loss of gold is great,
The loss of health is more.
But losing Christ is such a loss
As no man can restore.”
The works of Messrs. John Dawson & Co. were erected by them in 1800, and were carried on by the firm until 1864, when, on the death of the last of the family, Mr. Charles Dawson, they were closed and converted into bottle houses; these were destroyed by fire. The flint mill was taken by Mr. Ball, of the Deptford Pottery, who grinds large quantities of flint for both home consumption and export. The mark was simply the name “DAWSON” impressed in the ware. A part of the premises were, several years afterwards, used as a brown ware manufactory, and later still by Messrs. Isaac Fell and Co.
TheSouthwick Potterywas built in 1788, by Mr. Anthony Scott, who had, previously to that time, carried on a small potwork at Newbottle, and it is still the property of one of his descendants, Mr. Anthony Scott, and is carried on by that family, under the style of “Scott Brothers and Co.” At these works, which are among the most successful in the district, and where especial care is taken as to quality of the productions, the usual classes of white, coloured and brown earthenware are produced. In these works upwards of 150 “hands” are employed. The goods are made for foreign markets, the greater part being exported to Denmark and Germany. Messrs. Scott Brothers and Co., of these works, stand—and deservedly so—high in the scale of manufacturers, and their goods,whether of the finer or of the commoner classes, are in good repute, and are well calculated for an extensive home trade.
TheWear Pottery, founded by Messrs. Brunton & Co., in 1803, and soon after carried on by Messrs. Samuel Moore & Co., passed, about 1861, into the hands of its present proprietor, Mr. Robert Thomas Wilkinson, by whom it is carried on under the style of “Samuel Moore & Co.” The goods manufactured are the ordinary descriptions of white, sponged, and printed earthenware, and also brown ware, for the English, German, and Danish markets.
TheHigh Southwick Pottery, for Sunderland ware, is carried on by Mr. Thomas Snowball.
Deptford Pottery.—These works were established at Diamond Hall, in 1857, by Mr. Wm. Ball for the manufacture of flower-pots, in which he effected many important improvements, one of the principal of which is the “making them hollow footed, or with concave bottoms, with apertures for drainage and air, and kept free from the attacks of worms. This gives them a superiority over most, and has gained an extensive patronage.” In 1863 the manufacture of “Sunderland Ware”—glazed brown earthenware lined with white—was introduced, and is carried on very largely for the London and Scottish markets. At these works, too, suspenders, highly decorated, and other flower vases, seed-boxes, &c., are extensively made. Machinery has lately been introduced which very much facilitates the manufacture of the ware.
TheSheepfold Pottery, for Sunderland ware, is carried on by Messrs. T. J. Rickaby & Co.
TheSunderland Potteryor theGarrison Pottery, also established by Mr. Phillips, and carried on by Dixon, Austin, Phillips, and Co., produced white and Queen’s ware, in all the usual variety of articles. Sponged, printed, painted, and lustred earthenware were also produced. The works are now discontinued. The marks were
PHILLIPS & CO. PHILLIPS & CO.Phillips & Co.SUNDERLAND, 1813
PHILLIPS & CO.SUNDERLAND POTTERY.
In the Mayer collection is a well-painted quart mug, with allegorical group of the arts, with the name “W. DIXON, 1811,” pencilled on the bottom. Among other examples in the Jermyn Street Museum are a printed coloured and lustred jug, bearing on one side the common view of the bridge over the Wear, and on the other the Farmers’ Arms, while in front are the words—“Forget me not,” within a wreath. It bears the nameDIXON AUSTIN & CO., SUNDERLAND. Figures were also produced, and marked examples may be seen in the same museum. The name occurs in various ways beyond those just given. Thus, among others, are “W. Dixon,” “Dixon & Co.,” “Dixon & Co., Sunderland Pottery,”
DIXON AUSTIN & COSunderland Pottery
DIXON & COSunderland Pottery
DIXON & COSUNDERLAND
A manufactory was built here about the year 1836 for the manufacture of brown ware by Captain Plowright, of Lynn, and in 1838 it was altered into a white and printed ware manufactory, by a number of workmen from Messrs. Dawson and Co., of Hylton; it was closed about the year 1841, and re-opened in 1851, by Mr. R. C. Wilson, and finally closed in 1852.
These works were founded about 1755, by Mr. Byers, and he manufactured both brown and white wares. They passed into the hands of Mr. Anthony Scott, who carried them on until 1788 (see “Southwick”). They are now discontinued. A pottery for the manufacture of common brown ware, and flower-pots, &c., was also carried on by Messrs. Broderick, but is now discontinued.
New Moor Pottery, at Evenwood, carried on by Mr. George Snowdon for the manufacture of brown ware.
The potteries of the Tees are:—
Stafford Pottery.—Several earthenware manufactories have been carried on at this place, and, at the present day, there are four pot-works in operation, at each of which a considerable number ofhands are employed. The largest, called the “Stafford Pottery,” at South Stockton, or Thornaby, was established, in 1825, by Mr. William Smith, a builder of Stockton, for the manufacture of the ordinary brown ware. Determining shortly afterwards to add the general earthenware to its productions, he visited Staffordshire, and engaged and ultimately took into partnership Mr. John Whalley, a Staffordshire potter of considerable skill, to carry on the work. The firm commenced, under the style of “William Smith & Co.” in January, 1826. In 1829, in order further to extend the concern and increase its capital, a partnership was entered into with Messrs. William and George Skinner, sons of Mr. Skinner, banker, of Stockton, and continued for some years, when Mr. George Skinner having purchased the interest of his brother, and of Mr. William Smith, changed the name of the firm to that of “George Skinner & Co.” By Mr. George Skinner and Mr. Whalley it was carried on for some years, when the latter retired, and the management devolved on Mr. Ambrose Walker, who, shortly after the death of Mr. Skinner in April, 1870, succeeded to the business, and still carries it on in connection with the executors of Mr. Skinner under the style of “Skinner and Walker.” Mr. Walker is a native of Hanley, and in 1837, when a boy, came to Stockton with his father, who at that time entered the service of Messrs. Smith & Co. In 1843 he became junior clerk, and was instructed in the art of potting by Mr. Whalley, who subsequently transferred to him his valuable receipts.
It is worthy of remark that at these works for many years past, no thrower is employed; this important branch of the art being entirely superseded by machinery, for the application of which to potting the firm has acquired a high reputation.
The goods manufactured were principally “Queen’s ware;” a fine white earthenware; and a fine brown ware, which were shipped in large quantities for Belgium, Holland, and some parts of Germany. I am also informed that the firm at one time established a branch pottery at Genappes, near Mons, in Belgium, sending workmen from Stockton; and that the manufactory there was carried on under the style, of “Capperman & Co.” One mark is—
W. S. & CO.QUEEN’S WARE.STOCKTON.
impressed in the body. Other examples have simply the words
STOCKTON.
or
S. & W.QUEEN’S WARE.STOCKTON.
or the same, without the initials impressed upon them.
In 1848 the firm consisted of William Smith, John Whalley, George Skinner, and Henry Cowap, and in that year an injunction was granted restraining them from using, as they had illegally done, the name of “Wedgwood & Co.” or “Wedgewood,” stamped or otherwise marked on goods produced by them. The following is the official notification of this matter, which I here reprint from my “Life of Wedgwood:”
“Vice-Chancellor of England’s Court,“Lincoln’s Inn, 8th August, 1848.“In Chancery.“Wedgwood and othersagainstSmith and others.“Mr. Bethellon behalf of the Plaintiffs, Francis Wedgwood and Robert Brown (who carry on the business of Potters, at Etruria, in the Staffordshire Potteries, under the Firm of ‘Josiah Wedgwood and Sons’), moved for an Injunction against the defendants, William Smith, John Whalley, George Skinner, and Henry Cowap (who also carry on the business of Potters, at Stockton, in the County of Durham, under the firm of ‘William Smith and Company’), to restrain them and every of them, their Agents, Workmen, or Servants, from stamping, or engraving, or marking, or in any way putting or placing on the Ware manufactured by them, the Defendants, the name ‘Wedgwood’ or ‘Wedgewood,’ and from in any manner imitating or counterfeiting such name on the Ware manufactured by the Defendants since the month of December, 1846, or hereafter to be manufactured by the Defendants, with the name ‘Wedgwood’ or ‘Wedgewood,’ stamped, engraved, or otherwise marked or placed thereon. M‘r. Bethell stated that the trade mark ‘Wedgwood’ had been used by the family of the Wedgwoods for centuries; he would not, however, go further into the matter at present, because Mr. Parker appeared for the Defendants, and it might become necessary—with whom, and himself, it had been arranged by consent on Mr. Parker’s application on behalf of the Defendants, for time to answer the Plaintiffs’ Affidavits—that the Motion should stand over until the Second Seal in Michaelmas Term next; and that in the meantime the Defendants should be restrained as above stated; except that for the words, ‘since the month of December, 1846,’ the words, ‘since the month of July, 1847,’ should be substituted. Mr. J. Parker said he appeared for the Defendants, and consented without prejudice; and on his application for time to answer the Plaintiff’s Affidavits, the Court made an order accordingly.“On the 9th day of November, being the Second Seal in Michaelmas term, 1848, Mr. E. Younge, as counsel for the above-named Plaintiffs, moved for, and obtained, a perpetual Injunction against the Defendants in the Terms of Mr. Bethell’s Motion, substituting for the words, ‘since the month of December, 1846,’ the words, ‘since the month of July, 1874;’ the Defendants consenting to pay to the Plaintiffs their costs.“Solicitor for the Plaintiffs,“Samuel King,“Furnival’s Inn, Middlesex.”
“Vice-Chancellor of England’s Court,
“Lincoln’s Inn, 8th August, 1848.
“In Chancery.
“Wedgwood and othersagainstSmith and others.
“Mr. Bethellon behalf of the Plaintiffs, Francis Wedgwood and Robert Brown (who carry on the business of Potters, at Etruria, in the Staffordshire Potteries, under the Firm of ‘Josiah Wedgwood and Sons’), moved for an Injunction against the defendants, William Smith, John Whalley, George Skinner, and Henry Cowap (who also carry on the business of Potters, at Stockton, in the County of Durham, under the firm of ‘William Smith and Company’), to restrain them and every of them, their Agents, Workmen, or Servants, from stamping, or engraving, or marking, or in any way putting or placing on the Ware manufactured by them, the Defendants, the name ‘Wedgwood’ or ‘Wedgewood,’ and from in any manner imitating or counterfeiting such name on the Ware manufactured by the Defendants since the month of December, 1846, or hereafter to be manufactured by the Defendants, with the name ‘Wedgwood’ or ‘Wedgewood,’ stamped, engraved, or otherwise marked or placed thereon. M‘r. Bethell stated that the trade mark ‘Wedgwood’ had been used by the family of the Wedgwoods for centuries; he would not, however, go further into the matter at present, because Mr. Parker appeared for the Defendants, and it might become necessary—with whom, and himself, it had been arranged by consent on Mr. Parker’s application on behalf of the Defendants, for time to answer the Plaintiffs’ Affidavits—that the Motion should stand over until the Second Seal in Michaelmas Term next; and that in the meantime the Defendants should be restrained as above stated; except that for the words, ‘since the month of December, 1846,’ the words, ‘since the month of July, 1847,’ should be substituted. Mr. J. Parker said he appeared for the Defendants, and consented without prejudice; and on his application for time to answer the Plaintiff’s Affidavits, the Court made an order accordingly.
“On the 9th day of November, being the Second Seal in Michaelmas term, 1848, Mr. E. Younge, as counsel for the above-named Plaintiffs, moved for, and obtained, a perpetual Injunction against the Defendants in the Terms of Mr. Bethell’s Motion, substituting for the words, ‘since the month of December, 1846,’ the words, ‘since the month of July, 1874;’ the Defendants consenting to pay to the Plaintiffs their costs.
“Solicitor for the Plaintiffs,
“Samuel King,
“Furnival’s Inn, Middlesex.”
In 1845, Messrs. George Skinner and John Whalley took out apatent for “certain improvements in the manufacture of earthenware pastes and vitreous bodies, and also a new composition and material for the same, with certain new modes of combination thereof, which improvements, compositions, and combinations are applicable to the manufacture of earthenware pastes, vitreous bodies, slabs, tiles, and pavement, and various other useful and ornamental purposes, and is especially adapted for grave indicators, hydrant indicators, etc., as it is impervious to all weather and unaffected by change of atmosphere.” This consists in “combining chalk or carbonate of lime in union with silica, flint, or silex.” In the specification seven compositions are given, five of which are for ware and the other two for glaze. The compositions for ware are various “combinations of the above substances, and they contain besides, some or all of the following substances, namely, Cornwall stone, china clay, ball clay, felspar, helspar, or sulphate of barytes.” The wares may be tinted with the oxides generally used. Nos. 1 and 2 compositions do not require glazing; Nos. 3, 4, and 5 can be glazed with glazes which either do or do not contain lead. In this patent two glazes without lead are claimed. One of these is made of felspar and chalk, and the other of chalk, silica, flint, or silex, Cornwall stone, china clay, ball clay, and felspar, mixed in certain proportions.
The “North Shore Pottery” was established about 1840, by Mr. James Smith, afterwards of Danby Grange, near Yarm, in Yorkshire, and was carried on by his nephew, Mr. William Smith, Jun. (son of the William Smith to whom I have alluded as the founder of the “Stafford Pottery”), under the style of “William Smith, Jun., and Co.” Subsequently to this the business was carried on successively under the styles of “G. F. Smith and Co.” and “G. and W. Smith.” A few years ago the senior partner, Mr. S. P. Smith, retired from the concern, and since then it has been continued solely by Mr. William Smith, son of the founder and still present owner of the works.
The classes of goods made at this pottery were both in white and cream-coloured wares, and some of the examples of the first productions are of excellent quality. The markets for which, principally, the “North Shore Pottery” goods were and are made, are, besides the home trade—which is principally confined to London and the South of England—Holland, Germany, and Denmark. Large quantities of wares are also exported to Constantinople, and otherMediterranean markets. The goods now made are the usual classes of white earthenware, and printed and coloured goods, in dinner, teas, toilet, and other services; bread, cheese, and other trays of good design; mugs, jugs, basins, and all the usual varieties of domestic vessels. In quality they equal the ordinary classes of Staffordshire ware, and many of the printed patterns (notably, perhaps, the “Danby”) are of a superior kind. The “sponge patterns” for foreign markets are extensively used, and green-glazed ware in flower-pots, &c., are also made.
The impressed mark at the present time is
W. S.Stockton.
The printed marks, besides an ornamental border and the name of the pattern, bear simply the initials W. S.
Other potteries are Mr. Ainsworth’s, at North Stockton, for white and printed wares; Mr. Thomas Harwood “The Norton Pottery,” at Norton, for Sunderland and yellow wares; and Messrs. Harwood Brothers, “Clarence Pottery,” for Sunderland ware.
The Middlesborough Pottery was established in 1831; the first oven being fired in April of that year, and the first order shipped to Gibraltar in September. They were the first public works established in Middlesborough. From 1831 to 1844 the firm traded under the style of “The Middlesborough Pottery Company,” and from that year until 1852 as “The Middlesborough Earthenware Company.” From 1852 to the present time the firm has traded under the name of the proprietors as “Messrs. Isaac Wilson & Co.” The works, with wharf, occupy an area of about 9,702 square yards.
At the first commencement of the works the proprietors directed their attention to the production of the better classes of ordinary earthenware for the continental trade, and in the same year in which the works were started, their present extensive warehouse at Roding’s Mart, Hamburg, was established. The goods produced are the ordinary “opaque china,” cream-coloured ware, and lustre enamelled ware in dinner, tea, and toilet services, and all the general classes of domestic vessels, enamelled flower pots, bread trays, &c. Some of these are of very good quality, and the printed services are equal to the more ordinary Staffordshire goods. The principal impressed marks, used are the following—
The printed marks indicating the pattern have, in addition to thename of the pattern (“Convolvulus,” “Trent,” “Nunthorpe,” &c.) the initials of the firm, as “M. P. & Co.” for “Middlesborough Pottery Company,” and “I. W. & Co.” for “Isaac Wilson & Co.”
Wolviston Pottery, now discontinued, formerly produced yellow ware.
Coxhoe Pottery, also discontinued, produced Sunderland ware.
There were formerly pot-works here; but no trace of them is now left, save the name of the street, “Potter Gate,” where they existed. The former name of this street was, in 1567, “Barresdale Street,” but potters having there located themselves, it became gradually changed. Another old street in this town now known as “Clayport,” was formerly called “Clay-peth,”pethbeing a provincialism for a steep road, andclaythe nature of the soil; probably it was this clay that the Alnwick potters turned to good account.