Chapter 25

The names of workpeople occurring in these hirings are:—

Jno. Austin,Wm. Lawton,Robt. Gardner,George Bagnall,Siah Spoade,Jos. Matthewson,Jno. Everel,Wm. Sale,Wm. Ward,Thos. Halam,Daniel Greatbach,Richd. Bell,Wm. Marsh,Jno. Marsh,Jno. Barker,Henry Averills,Two lads,Thos. Barlow,Thos. Astbury,Sanders,Two lads,—— Cupit,Uria Sutton,Benj. Burrows,Thos. Dutton,Thos. Mee,Jno. Kent,Wm. Kent,Bet. Blower,Ann Blowers,Boy and Girl,James Blower,John Blower,Ned Blower,Wm. Reeves,Old Thos. Mee,Wm. Keeling,Wm. Fox,John Lowe,Jos. Astbury,Thos. Steen,Elijah Simpson,John Knight,Thos. Bagley,George Bagley,—— Booth,Westaby,Jno. Edge, Senr.,Wm. Cope,Jos. Botham,James Leigh,Saml. JacksonThos. Hallins,Jno. Edge,Wm. Kent,Wm. Amery,Boy.

That Whieldon was a man of large property is evident from the entries of “settings” of lands and houses, in the same book, but this is not pertinent to my subject of the goods manufactured during the same period. One or two entries give interesting particulars; thus:—

To send Mrs.Davison.

6 ½ pt. mugs, white, 2d.

1 flat candlestick, Tor.[56]

Mr.Thos. Fletcher, Dr.

Mr.Davison.

To make for Mr.Green(of Hovingham, near Heylsham, Norfolk).

4 Tor.[56]Teapots, all Toys; 4 Coffee Pots; 4 Slop bowls;4 Ewers; 4 Sugar boxes, china make; 4 Mustard pots, high;8 Salts, high feet; 12 2 Dishes, Tor.[56]; 5 doz. pails;2 doz. piggins; 6 doz. large plates; 4 doz. round ditto;8 doz. a size less; 7 of ym round with Ribd. edge;1 do. Sqr.; 3 doz. Bread & butter plates, Ribd.; 3 qt. Coffee Pots;6 pints; 4 2nd size dishes; 2 larger.

Figs. 640 to 644.

Figs. 640 to 644.

The goods manufactured by Whieldon, both before, during, and after his partnership with Wedgwood, were of good quality and excellent form. They are now very scarce, and are highly and deservedly prized by collectors. Two “tortoiseshell plates,” a small “cauliflower jug,” a marbled, or “combed-pattern” plate, and an imitation agate knife-haft, are shown by Figs.640 to 644.

In 1754 Wedgwood and Harrison entered into partnership with Thomas Whieldon. The partnership with Harrison, however, continuedbut for a short period, and in 1752 he went out of the concern, Wedgwood and Whieldon continuing in partnership five years, and carrying on their trade at Whieldon’s works at Fenton Low. In 1754 Wedgwood here produced his famous green glaze, which helped much to extend the fame of the manufactory. In 1759 the partnership expired; Wedgwood returned to Burslem, and Whieldon continued the business alone. He acquired a large fortune, in 1786 was high sheriff of the county, and in 1798 died at an advanced age.

Turner.—Messrs. William and John Turner, whose manufactory was in the High Street, have often been referred to in this work. They were among the best and most successful potters of the end of last and early part of the present century. About 1756 Mr. John Turner and Mr. Banks made white stone ware at Stoke, but in 1762 Turner removed to Lane End, “where he manufactured every kind of pottery then in demand, and also introduced some other kinds not previously known.” About 1780 he discovered a valuable vein of fine clay at Green Dock, from which he “obtained all his supplies for manufacturing his beautiful and excellent stone ware pottery of a cane colour, which he formed into very beautiful jugs, with ornamental designs, and the most tasteful articles of domestic use.” Turner produced “a shining blue glazed pottery similar to that of the Japanese porcelain,” as well as making many other improvements in the art. He died in 1786, and was succeeded by his sons William and John Turner, who became, as just said, among the best potters of the day—equalling in many respects Josiah Wedgwood himself. In jasper ware, in Egyptian black, and other finer wares, there is little choice between Turner and Wedgwood, although the composition of the two bodies was not the same, and had been obtained by different processes. In 1800 Messrs. Turner took out a patent for a new method of manufacturing porcelain and earthenware by the introduction of “Rafferness Mine Rock, Little Mine Rock, and New Rock.” The works were closed about 1803. The mark used by the Turners was simply the nameTURNER, impressed on the jasper and other fine bodies; on their blue-bordered and printed wares sometimes they used the Prince of Wales’s feathers, with the name Turner beneath.

TURNER. Fig. 645.

TURNER. Fig. 645.

Garner.—Robert Garner, or Gardner, son of Robert Gardner, was an apprentice with Thomas Whieldon, and afterwards employedby him, at the same period as his fellow workman, Josiah Spode, was employed. The following entry is in Whieldon’s own handwriting, in my possession:

Gardner was also a tenant of Whieldon’s, as shown by the following entry:—

This he continued to hold for some years, as receipts for rent show.

Robert Gardner, who was hired from his father in 1751, married Margaret Astbury, daughter of Astbury, the well-known potter, and at one time was in partnership with one of her brothers at the Foley. He built a large house, then known as the Foley House, but latterly as the Bank House. By his wife Margaret Astbury, Mr. Garner was the father of Robert Garner, potter, of Lane End, some of whose accounts of 1797 are in my possession. He married a Miss Middlemore, daughter and co-heiress of the Middlemores of Edgbaston and Studley, by whom, with other issue, he had a son, the present Robert Garner, Esq., F.L.S., surgeon, of Stoke-upon-Trent, the author of the “Natural History of the County of Stafford,” and other works, and one of the most talented and enlightened of the worthies of the pottery district.

About 1750, it is said, the elder Robert Garner, in conjunction with Messrs. Barker, “commenced the manufactory of Shining Black and White Stone Ware, salt glaze, at the Row Houses, near the Foley, Fenton, and where afterwards they made tolerable cream colour. They realised a good property here, and Mr. R. Garner rented a manufactory and the best mansion of the time in Lane End, near the old turnpike gate.” Robert Garner, of Lane End, was apotter in a large way of business, and excellent in Queen’s or cream-coloured ware. Some examples of his make are preserved in the Stoke Museum. A sister of his married Mr. Banks, formerly one of the principal potters of Stoke.

Edwards.—William Edwards, a potter at Lane Delph in 1750, made a very superior kind of earthenware. One of his productions, described by Shaw, was a plate with basket-work rim, the centre part divided into compartments of embossed work, and decorated with various devices.

Johnson.—Thomas and Joseph Johnson made white stone, Crouch, and other wares. Their manufactory was afterwards held by Mayer and Newbold.

Phillips.—About 1760, a son of Mr. Phillips, of Lane Delph, commenced making white stone and other wares at Green Dock, Longton, and afterwards produced cream-coloured ware of good quality.

Sampson Bridgwood.—His manufactory was erected in 1756 by Roger Wood, of the Ash, and occupied by a Mr. Ford, for stone and brown wares.

Greatbach.—Robert Greatbach was bound apprentice with Thomas Whieldon. He afterwards carried on business at Fenton, where he produced a number of good and useful patterns in various wares. Thomas Radford was associated with him in this business, and his engravings were very popular. One of the best examples is a mug bearing “The World in Planisphere,” on which occurs the name “engraved by Radford;” it is very sharply and clearly engraved, and bears, on an heraldic wreath, the initials “E. T.” Another celebrated production was the subject of the “Prodigal Son” on tea-pots, &c. Greatbach was afterwards engaged by Wedgwood, and was a successful modeller.

Greenwood.—A potter named Greenwood was in Fenton, in Staffordshire, about 1770–80.

Other potters in Fenton were Thomas Heath, Bourne, Baker & Bourne, Thos. Bacchus.

Other potters about 1760 were Phillips, Matthews, Moses Simpson, John Adams, John Prince, and William Hilditch.

Heathcote & Co.—The Heathcotes were potters in Staffordshire, I believe, at the close of last and in the early part of the present century. The wares produced were good quality blue printed, painted, and gilt services, and ornamental goods. The mark was the Prince of Wales’s feathers with the nameC. Heathcote & Co.above, and on a ribbon beneath the name of the pattern, as CAMBRIA, &c. Some good examples are in the Mayer Museum.

Fig. 646.

Fig. 646.

Matthews.—William Matthews, of Lane Delph, was a maker of tortoiseshell and clouded pottery.

Myatt.—“At the southern extremity of Foley,” says Shaw in 1829, “are the house and factory of the late Mr. Myatt, one of the first persons who received the Wesleyan and Methodist preachers, and in whose parlour the late Mr. J. Wesley stood, while from the window he preached to a vast congregation, when last he passed through Staffordshire only a few months prior to his decease.” He produced ordinary white and printed earthenware and red ware.

His mark was his name, impressed:MYATT.

Williamson.—Hugh Williamson was a potter in the latter part of last century, and principally made the ordinary blue printed ware. A plate or tray with blue flowers and border is in the Mayer collection, and is labelled as “Made at Hugh Williamson’s. It was transferred by Mrs. Hancock, seventy-eight years of age, when she was an apprentice.”

Harley.—Thomas Harley, a manufacturer at “Lane End,” produced some good earthenware services, jugs, and other articles. He sometimes marked with his name in full in writing letters,and at other times HARLEY.

Plant.—Benjamin Plant was a potter here at the close of last century. His name sometimes occurs as below.

Bailey & Batkin.—This firm (see Batkin & Booth, page403) made a fine quality of lustre ware—a brown clay with lustre washall over outside, and often inside. In the Mayer collection is a service of it, and one large piece with “Bailey & Batkin, Sole Patentees,” running round a central band.

Mayer & Newbold.—This firm produced excellent goods in the early part of the present century. One of their marks was—Mayr& Newbd, and another Mayer & Newbold in full.

It will be interesting to add that at Longton Hall William Littler, of Brownhills, at one time resided, and there, according to Shaw, “continued his experiments [in the manufacture of porcelain] until his success surpassed all the expectations of his contemporaries; but there not being much demand for this kind of ware he sacrificed his estate at Brownhills, near Burslem, and then discontinued manufacturing porcelain. His chief workman was not only a good practical potter, but a tolerable modeller, Dr. Mills, who subsequently died at Shelton at a very advanced age.” Littler’s removal to Longton Hall is said to have been “about 1765.” Littler is said afterwards to have been manager of Baddeley & Fletcher’s works at Shelton. Ten years previously William Duesbury, the founder of the Derby China Works, was also of Longton Hall. In a deed of that year, which I have given inextensoon page 66, he is described as “William Duesbury, of Longton Hall, in the parish of Stoke-upon-Trent,” and in another deed as “Wm. Duesbury, of Longton, in ye County of Stafford, Enamellor” (see under “Derby,”ante).


Back to IndexNext