COLDSTREAM GUARDS.
The Regiment is the only Infantry Regiment of the Parliamentary Army that was not disbanded at the Restoration in 1660. It was formed from Sir A. Heselrig’s and Colonel Fenwick’s Regiments of Foot.
It bore in 1669 six white balls and a red cross on a green ground; and in 1684, St. George’s Cross bordered white on a blue ground.
“The Duke of York and Albany’s Maritime Regiment,” raised in 1664, was incorporated with the Regiment in 1689.
It bears one of the ancient badges conferred by Royal Authority on each of the Companies, the Badges being borne in turn as the Colours are renewed; and “the Sphinx” for Egypt, 1801.
And also in—
It captured the Standard of the French Life Guards at Neer-Landen.
It was popularly known as “The Coldstreamers” from Colonel Monck’s celebrated march from Coldstream in January 1660 to restore King Charles II.