FOURTH FOOT.

FOURTH FOOT.

The Regiment was raised for the defence of Tanjier, partly in London and partly in Plymouth.

It received its badge of “the Lion of England” from King William III.

It bore R. H. R. the Duchess of York and Albany’s Cypher from 1684 to 1688, and perhaps later.

It bears “the Royal Cypher within the Garter.”

It was nicknamed “Barrell’s Blues” from its facings and Colonel’s name from 1734 to 1739; also “the Lions” from its ancient badge.


Back to IndexNext