SEVENTH DRAGOON GUARDS.

SEVENTH DRAGOON GUARDS.

The Regiment was partly formed from five Regiments of Horse raised by King James II., which were disbanded in 1688.

It wore cuirasses till 1699, and from 1707 to 1714.

It was known as “The Black Horse” from its facings, also “The Blacks;” but it prid=ed itself on being “Ligonier’s” from its Colonel’s name from 1720 to 1749.

It had the nickname of “The Virgin Mary’s Guard” in the reign of King George II.; and is known as “Strawboots.”


Back to IndexNext