SIXTY-SECOND FOOT.

SIXTY-SECOND FOOT.

It was formerly the second Battalion of the 4th King’s Own, raised in 1756.

It was allowed to wear a splash on the buttons to commemorate its defence of the Castle of Carrickfergus against the French in 1760, when the ammunition being expended, it used its buttons for bullets.

It was nicknamed “The Springers” from its rapid= pursuit of the Americans in 1777.

The first Regiment numbered the 62nd was raised in 1755, and is now the 60th King’s Royal Rifle Corps.


Back to IndexNext