CLATSOP COUNTY

AT THE TOP OF CANEMAH HILL ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY IN CLACKAMAS COUNTY. GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918AT THE TOP OF CANEMAH HILL ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY IN CLACKAMAS COUNTY.GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918

AT THE TOP OF CANEMAH HILL ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY IN CLACKAMAS COUNTY.GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918

To complete the grading of the Pacific Highway between Oregon City and Canby preparatory to the paving of this section, Clackamas County agreed to appropriate $25,000.00 toward the grading between Fly Creek and Oregon City, known as the Canemah Hill Section. On December 10, 1917, the Highway Commission received bids for this grading and the lowest bid having been submitted by Clackamas County, the contract was awarded to the County. This piece of work was about one and one-half miles in length and involved some very heavy rock excavation.

There has been expended on this work to date the sum of $24,037.20, of which amount Clackamas County has paid $22,092.53. The work complete will cost approximately $27,500.00. Mr. M. E. DeWitt was the resident engineer in charge.

BITUMINOUS PAVEMENT ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY SOUTH OF OREGON CITY IN CLACKAMAS COUNTY. GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918BITUMINOUS PAVEMENT ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY SOUTH OF OREGONCITY IN CLACKAMAS COUNTY. GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918

BITUMINOUS PAVEMENT ON THE PACIFIC HIGHWAY SOUTH OF OREGONCITY IN CLACKAMAS COUNTY. GRADED AND PAVED IN 1918

A contract was awarded on September 4, 1917, to the Oregon Hassam Paving Company of Portland, for a sixteen-foot bituminous pavement between Oregon City and Canby, a distance of 7.5 miles.

A considerable part of the crushed rock used in this pavement was furnished by the Highway Department from a rock point which it was necessary to remove in connection with the grading just north of New Era.

The paving of this section is practically complete at this date and the contracting company is to be complimented upon the excellence of its work. The cost of the work completed will be about $135,000.00 of which amount $102,114.85 has been paid.

Mr. M. E. DeWitt acted as resident engineer for the Highway Department on this work.

On April 19, 1918, a contract was awarded by Clackamas County to the Glemorrie Quarry Company of Oswego for the regrading of a 0.2 mile section of the West Side Pacific Highway between Oswego and the Multnomah County Line. At the request of the Clackamas County Court the engineering supervision of this work was handled by the Highway Department, Mr. M. E. DeWitt, resident engineer, on work between Oregon City and Canby, being in charge.

This piece of work eliminated some very bad curves on the old road and greatly improved the grade. The work was completed on September 4, 1918, at a total cost of $5,746.68. Of this amount $507.98 was expended by the State for the engineering. The construction cost of $5,238.70 was paid by the County.

The State Highway Department has been requested by the County Court of Clackamas County to prepare plans and estimates for a bridge over the Willamette River at Oregon City. This will replace the old suspension bridge at that place which is too light for the modern traffic conditions in that vicinity.

Surveys and studies of the site are being conducted at this time. In this case, as is customary, the State Highway Department will furnish plans free of cost to the County.

During the period from December 1, 1916, to November 30, 1918, the State Highway Department expended in Clatsop County the sum of $344,387.23. The work accomplished consists of 3.5 miles of bituminous paving, 22.7 miles of broken stone macadam, 1.7 miles of gravel macadam, 1.2 miles of new grading, one covered wood draw bridge, two reinforced concrete bridges, and 1-6x12 ft. reinforced concrete box culvert, all of these improvements being on the Columbia River Highway between Astoria and the Columbia County Line.

On July 20, 1917, the State Highway Department contracted with the Warren Construction Company for nine miles of paving between Astoria and Svensen. This contract called for a 16-foot bituminous pavement on a crushed rock base and with two-foot macadam shoulders. The contract also included the grading of a section 1.2 miles in length about midway between Astoria and Svensen, this section being known as the John Day Cut-off.

Work was started on the grading of the cut-off on August 6, 1917, and on the erection of the paving plant on August 15. On September 20, the first batch of hot stuff was placed on the road at the Svensen end. The work was just nicely started, however, when the rainy season which came on unusually early, started in and the work had to be discontinued. At this time the work on the grading of the cut-off was but fifty or sixty per cent complete, and only one mile of paving had been laid.

BITUMINOUS PAVING NEAR SVENSON IN CLATSOP COUNTY ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY. PAVED IN 1917BITUMINOUS PAVING NEAR SVENSONIN CLATSOP COUNTY ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY.PAVED IN 1917

BITUMINOUS PAVING NEAR SVENSONIN CLATSOP COUNTY ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY.PAVED IN 1917

The following season, the roadbed did not become sufficiently dry to permit of resumption of work until about the 15th of June, but even at thatlate date the contractors were not able to start work on account of the shortage in materials and labor resulting from the participation of the United States in the war, and it was not until July 23 the work was resumed. Continued shortage of labor and material made progress very slow particularly on the placing of rock base, and when the 1918 rainy season came on a total of only 3.5 miles of paving had been completed. The grading of the John Day Cut-off had been finished, however, and considerable progress made on the removal of slides and regrading of roadbed.

The paving was discontinued on October 2 but in order to provide a passable roadbed at as early a date as possible, it was decided to continue the placing of rock base during the winter months. This work is now in progress, and it is expected that a rocked surface over the remaining unpaved distance of 5.5 miles will be secured by about January 1, 1919.

The paving work will be continued again next season, and will undoubtedly be completed early in the season.

It is estimated that the grading and paving of this section will cost completed $236,000.00. The total expenditures to November 30, 1918, amounted to $96,955.97 and there remained unpaid to the contractor for work done to that date the sum of $15,225.64.

The engineering work was in charge of Mr. J. E. Nelson, during the 1917 season, and in charge of Mr. H. N. Hackett during the 1918 season.

From Westport to Svensen in Clatsop County, 13.55 miles of 16-foot waterbound macadam, 3.6 miles of 9-foot waterbound macadam and 1.76 miles of gravel was laid. This work was handled by the Warren Construction Company prior to December 26, 1917, at which time the State Highway Department took the work over and proceeded with State forces.

On this section the unit costs show a slight advantage in favor of doing the work with State forces. Conditions were practically the same as on the Clatskanie-Westport Section in Columbia County—the State paying higher wages than the contractor, but the contractor having the disadvantage of more unfavorable weather conditions. The main advantage in the State doing this work was gained by having better control of the organization and more direct supervision of the work.

The original intention was to complete all macadam 16-feet wide but the increased cost of labor, supplies, etc., made it necessary to reduce the width of the macadam to nine feet so as to complete the full distance with the money available.

[8]Including 1,839 cubic yards of gravel purchased at a cost of $1,839.00 and 5,278 cubic yards crushed rock purchased at a cost of $6,333.60. All other rock was crushed and cost of crushing is included in the cost of the macadam.

COVERED WOOD DRAWBRIDGE ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY IN CLATSOP COUNTY, OVER THE JOHN DAY RIVER EAST OF ASTORIA. BUILT IN 1918. LIFT SPAN—40 FEETCOVERED WOOD DRAWBRIDGE ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY INCLATSOP COUNTY,OVER THE JOHN DAY RIVER EAST OF ASTORIA.BUILT IN 1918. LIFT SPAN—40 FEET

COVERED WOOD DRAWBRIDGE ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER HIGHWAY INCLATSOP COUNTY,OVER THE JOHN DAY RIVER EAST OF ASTORIA.BUILT IN 1918. LIFT SPAN—40 FEET

As a part of the improvement of the Columbia River Highway between Astoria and Svensen, abridgewas constructed over the John Day River about four miles east of Astoria.

The John Day River is a stream navigable to small boats, so it was necessary to provide a movable span of 40-foot clear opening. Owing to the unusually high price of steel it was decided to construct this bridge of wood. The movable span is of the single leaf bascule type operated by a windlass. Counter weights are employed to assist the movement of the span and in order to compensate for the variable pull required to lift the span at different phases of its movement, the counter weight cables operate over spiral drums in such manner that their pull is a maximum when the span is down, and is least when the span is raised, gradually changing between the two extremes. In order to guard against failure of the operator to close the gate on the side of the stream opposite the machinery, an automatic gate was constructed. It closes when the bridge starts to open and when the bridge closes it swings back out of the way automatically.

The bridge rests on concrete piers carried on piling, and besides the lift span there are two 90-foot covered wooden spans. The operating machinery is completely housed in by means of a tower.

The crossing was designed to carry 20-ton trucks and the covered spans have laminated wood floors with asphaltic wearing surface.

One of the most serious objections raised against covered wooden bridges is the lack of light. This was overcome in this case, as in other wooden bridges on primary roads designed by this Department, by whitewashing the interior and the addition of open windows at panel points. These are provided with returns, and with the asphaltic wearing surface on the floors of such bridges prevent moisture coming in contact with the structural timbers of the bridge.

This bridge was built by the Portland Bridge Company and the total cost will be about $25,000.00. The payments on the bridge to November 30, 1918, amounted to $21,051.52. Mr. Leigh M. Huggins was resident engineer in charge of construction.

This bridge is located on the Columbia River Highway near Knappa. It consists of two forty-five-foot reinforced concrete spans, and was built by the State Highway Department with State forces at a cost of $8,446.70.

The Plympton Creek Bridge is located on the Columbia River Highway in the town of Westport. It is a two thirty-foot span structure and was built by the State Highway Department with State forces at a cost of $6,413.19.

This is a 6 by 12 reinforced concrete structure and is located on the Columbia River Highway near Knappa. It was built by the Highway Department with State forces at a cost of $929.69.

The State Highway Department expended in Columbia County during 1917 and 1918, the sum of $488,302.15, which is the largest amount expended in any one county in the state. With this amount the following work was completed:

All of this work is on the Columbia River, and all but the 2.5 miles of paving is between the Clatsop County Line and a point about two miles east of Goble.

A contract was awarded to the Warren Construction Company, August 22, 1917, for 2.5 miles of bitulithic pavement sixteen feet wide on crushed rock base, with two foot macadam shoulders. The old road bed on this section was in excellent condition for base for pavement being old macadam about sixteen feet in width. The grade was followed closely, scarified, and clean crushed rock spread over the entire surface and rolled. Material was borrowed along each side to obtain the required twenty-four foot of roadbed.

A sixteen foot span wooden bridge was replaced by an 8x10 feet reinforced concrete culvert built by Lindstrom Bros. on the basis of cost plus ten per cent.

Paving work was started November 5, 1917, and completed December 20, with the exception of about 200 feet of new fill made at the culvert which was completed in June, 1918.

Engineering work was done by P. W. Marx, under the supervision of Chas. H. Whitmore, assistant engineer.

On the Clatskanie-Westport Section, which extended from Clatskanie to the Clatsop County Line, the work was handled originally by the Warren Construction Company, on a cost plus ten per cent. basis. The State Highway Department took this work over December 26, 1917, and from that time on the work was handled by this Department. This work consisted of 8.62 miles of sixteen-foot waterbound macadam.

On this section the costs show that the Warren Construction Company laid crushed rock slightly cheaper than the State. However, the State did all the finishing on this section, which is more expensive than laying the base rock and it was necessary to raise the wages twenty-five per cent. after the work was taken over by the Department. C. L. Grutze was resident engineer on this work.

[9]4,972 cu. yds. purchased at cost of $5,966.40, all other rock crushed on this job.

The section extending from a point three miles east of Clatskanie to a point two and one-half miles east of Delena, known as the Clatskanie-Delena Section, was completed by L. O. Herrold on a basis of cost plus ten per cent. This work consisted of eleven miles of sixteen foot waterbound macadam, one and one-tenth miles of nine foot waterbound macadam and all necessary grading, drainage, etc. The foundation on part of this section was very poor and 10,233 cubic yards of rubble base was used in order to make satisfactory foundation for macadam. While this increased the cost of the macadam, it was the only way in which a permanent foundation could be secured on this section. P. M. Hall-Lewis was resident engineer on this work.

This work includes 25,405 cubic yards of excavation, 22,170 cubic yards of crushed rock macadam and 10,298 cubic yards of rubble base, besides numerous small structures, drains, etc.

Clark & Dibble of Rainier contracted with the Highway Department to construct five and seven-tenths miles of broken stone macadam between Delena and Goble. The prices at which this work was taken by the contractors was very low, and the result was that almost from the first the work was handicapped by lack of proper finances. It became evident to the Department that the contractor would be unable to complete all of this work before the winter rains set in, so to facilitate matters and to provide a passable road for the winter, the Department took over the part of the work between Rainier and Goble after about $10,000.00 worth of work had been done on this part by Clark & Dibble. The work of the Highway Department on this section is described in the article on the Rainier-Goble macadam.

Clark & Dibble successfully carried to completion the two and one-tenths miles of macadam west of Rainier. A complete statement of the costs of the work handled by the contractors is given below.

In Columbia County the State Highway Department laid twenty-four and one-tenth miles of sixteen foot waterbound macadam and four and two-tenths miles of nine foot waterbound macadam between Goble and the Clatsop County Line. Of this theRainier-Goble Sectionwas taken over from the contractors, Clark & Dibble, after being partly completed. This was done in order to facilitate the work and get the road open for traffic before the rainy season.

While the work done by the State on this section cost more per cubic yard than the contractor was originally receiving, the actual difference in cost for the job was not sufficient to justify the Department in allowing the contractor to proceed with the work which would have entailed leaving the road closed to traffic for another winter.

A contract was awarded to Warren Construction Company September 4, 1917, for macadamizing the Goble Cut-off on a basis of cost plus ten per cent.

Columbia County has a quarry on the old road about three-fourths of a mile west of Goble, which was equipped with complete crushing outfit and arrangements were made by the contractor for the use of this equipment and all the rock for this job was crushed and hauled from this quarry.

Work was started March 1, 1918, and completed June 25, 1918.

Engineering work was done by H. C. Compton as resident engineer under the supervision of Chas. H. Whitmore.

A new location of the Columbia River Highway was made from a point two miles east of Goble to Goble Creek and a new concrete bridge built over Goble Creek, making a saving in distance of about one-half mile and doing away with several excessive grades, sharp curves and narrow roadbed, also a dangerous bridge and trestle across Goble Creek.

A rock cut between Goble and Goble Creek was taken out by the S. P. & S. Ry. Co. with steam shovels and the material used by them for riprap, thus making a considerable saving to the State Highway Commission. The material for the west approach to the new bridge was obtained by blasting and barring down rock from a dangerous perpendicular cliff about 1,000 feet west of the bridge, from which large rocks had fallen onto the highway. To make the highway safe it was necessary to remove this material and by using it in the bridge approach, did away with other borrow which would have been necessary. The cliff is about 200 feet high with the highway and S. P. & S. Ry. side by side at the foot, necessitating very light shots and careful work and was completed without accident to men or interruption of traffic on the railroad.


Back to IndexNext