TILLAMOOK COUNTY

A contract was awarded on August 7, 1917, to Oskar Huber of Portland for the grading and paving of a five mile section extending south from the end of the paving then in place about three miles south of Tillamook City.

The old road which this paving was to follow in a general way contained many sharp curves and had a roadbed not eighteen feet wide on the average. On this was a light surfacing of gravel and rock macadam about twelve feet in width. The roadbed was widened to a twenty-four foot width, all excessively sharp curves were eliminated, and all wooden culverts, trestles, and bridges were replaced with modern concrete structures, and the decking on two steel bridges renewed and paved.

As there is available in this vicinity no ledge rock, it was found necessary to haul and crush large boulders from the creek bed to provide the necessary rock for the base and mixture. Some sand was obtained locally, but most of it had to be shipped in from Portland and hauled to the work from Tillamook.

The job was completed by December 15th of this year, and on account of the unusually bad conditions faced by the contractor as regards labor and materials, Mr. Huber is to be commended for the prompt completion of the work as well as for the excellence of construction.

By an arrangement between the County and the Highway Commission the County pays for all grading in connection with this improvement and also for twenty-five per cent of the cost of the paving. The total cost of the grading and paving complete is $109,250.00 of which the County will pay $34,325.00 and the State $74,925.00.

Mr. C. W. Wanzer was in charge of this work as resident engineer.

A Federal Aid Forest Road Project is now under construction between Hebo and Dolph in Tillamook County. This project is 10.3 miles in length, includes grading and nine foot rock surfacing, and is estimated to cost $122,000.00 of which $21,500.00 will be paid by the County, $50,250.00 by the State, and $50,250.00 by the Federal Government.

This work is handled under the supervision of Federal Office of Public Roads. The contract was awarded to the Tillamook County Court, but the State’s Attorney General ruled that the Court had no authority which would allow them to contract to do work of this nature. To facilitate matters the Highway Commission took the contract over from the County, and the work is now in progress, the Highway Department acting as contractors and being paid for the work at the unit prices originally bid by Tillamook County.

It was so late in the year when this work was taken over by the State that little work can be done until the 1919 season. Work is in progress, however, on camp construction, clearing, and such other portions of the work as can be done during the winter months.

Mr. J. M. Baker is superintendent of construction on this work.

On the Tillamook-Cloverdale road a preliminary survey has been completed from Tillamook to Hebo, a distance of 18 miles, and of this about nine miles have been located. This is a very important section as it is the most direct route from the Willamette Valley to the beaches of Tillamook County, and is not served with a railroad. The engineer in charge of this work was Mr. C. A. Dunn.

The highway problem of Umatilla County is of greater magnitude than it would seem to be at first consideration. The fact that the County is well supplied with rail transportation only renders the demand for highways more urgent. Soil conditions are generally unfavorable for good natural roads although gravel deposits suitable for highway construction are found in most localities.

The County has made constant efforts towards an improved system of roads, but with 3,000 miles of county roads to care for and with considerable bridge work in the program, the available funds are found to be entirely inadequate. The main roads or trunk highways through the County have had the benefit of a large percentage of local funds but owing to a large mileage and character of improvement necessary, there remains a great deal yet to be done.

When the State of Oregon voted to expend $6,000,000.00 in surfacing roads constructed by the counties, Umatilla County was among the first to take advantage of the State aid. The State Highway Commission extended additional aid through the Post Road Fund, but these plans were later cancelled owing to requirements of the U. S. Office of Public Roads.

The State Highway Department has surveyed the Old Oregon Trail for the entire distance across the County and 42.2 miles of the Oregon-Washington Highway have been surveyed. In addition a considerable mileage of reconnaissance surveys have been made preliminary to definite location.

In 1917 and 1918 the State Highway Department expended $162,625.56 in constructing eleven miles of pavement near Pendleton. The cost of maintenance on this road has been divided equally between the State and County.

Funds were set aside by the State Highway Commission in 1917 to macadamize the 40 mile section of Old Oregon Trail from Pendleton west to the Morrow County line. War conditions caused a postponement of this improvement. The funds are still intact and work will proceed as soon as conditions will permit. Following are statements showing amounts of State funds expended in Umatilla County and funds appropriated to be expended in 1919.

The State Highway Commission on June 29, 1917, let a contract to the Warren Construction Company for paving a ten mile section of the Wild Horse Road northeast of Pendleton and one mile of the Old Oregon Trail leading west from Pendleton. The pavement laid was bitulithic and thesubgrade was an old macadam road built by the County. The macadam road was of insufficient width for supporting a 16 foot pavement, which condition required widening of the grade, re-ditching and the placing of extra crushed rock for base.

The widening of the road bed was done with County funds expended under the direction of the State Highway Department. The work of widening the grade cost the County, $9,975.00 for the 11 miles.

ON THE PAVED ROAD BETWEEN PENDLETON AND ADAMS IN UMATILLA COUNTY. PAVED IN 1917ON THE PAVED ROAD BETWEEN PENDLETON AND ADAMS IN UMATILLACOUNTY. PAVED IN 1917

ON THE PAVED ROAD BETWEEN PENDLETON AND ADAMS IN UMATILLACOUNTY. PAVED IN 1917

Paving work begun in July, 1917, and an excellent pavement of the standard two-inch bitulithic type was secured, with a six inch crushed rock base. The total cost of this work was $162,626.56 or $14,784.22 per mile. M. O. Bennett was the engineer in charge and Chas. Noble was the inspector on this work. Following is a detailed cost statement:

When plans were made in 1917 for the Wild Horse paving. 16 feet was the width decided upon. Upon investigation it was found this would require widening of the old road bed from one foot to five feet, re-ditching for a large part of the 10 miles and the replacing of several culverts.

This work was done under the direction of the State Highway Department and the entire cost was defrayed from County funds. The total cost to the County was $9,975.00. Oscar Cutler of the State Highway Department was resident engineer in charge.

Upon the completion of the survey by the State Highway Department of the section of the Oregon-Washington Highway between Pendleton and Pilot Rock, the Umatilla County Court started grading. Where the construction is light the road grader was used to great advantage. Through the aid of the Division Office of the State Department new right-of-way was secured in some places and the alignment of the road naturally improved.

During September and October, 1918, the section between Pendleton and the County Poor Farm was graded and macadamized on a six per cent development over Grave Yard Hill. This work, both grading and macadamizing is of excellent character and will soon be opened to traffic. W. C. Crews, engineer for the State Department made the relocation on this section and was resident engineer during construction. The following is a statement showing quantities and total and unit costs:

An additional four miles from the County Poor Farm south was graveled by the County with an expenditure of $2,000.00.

During 1917 and 1918 the State Highway Department made a location survey over the entire east and west route across Umatilla County, excepting the six mile section between Pendleton and the Indian Agency. On this six miles a base line survey only was made.

The section of this road between the Morrow County Line and Pendleton is a part of the Columbia River Highway and has a total length of 40.5 miles. It passes through Umatilla, Hermiston, Stanfield, Echo and Reith. From Pendleton east the road is known as the Old Oregon Trail.

The survey in the east end of the County begins at the Umatilla Indian Agency, follows the general direction of the present road up Cabbage Hill, passes through Meacham and ends at the Union County Line near Kamela. A five per cent grade was secured on the Cabbage Hill climb. The total length of this section is 26.8 miles. R. H. Baldock and Oscar Cutler were the locating engineers on this work. The plans for this survey are practically complete.

The State survey of the Oregon and Washington Highway extends from the end of the pavement ten miles northeast of Pendleton, through Pendleton, and Pilot Rock to the Morrow County Line west of Butter Creek. This survey was made in 1917 and a section south of Pendleton was relocated in 1918. The total length of this line is 42.2 miles. R. H. Baldock and Oscar Cutler were the locating engineers on this work and the revision was made under the direction of W. C. Crews.

In the matter of highway improvement Union County has shown considerable progress. Substantial road building machinery is owned by the County in units sufficient to allow work to proceed simultaneously in various sections of the County. It is noticeable however that most of their work has been done (and justifiably so) on local and feeder roads rather than on trunk highways. Local funds and equipment are inadequate to make all the improvements needed when the mountainous sections of the main roads are considered.

As in other counties the State Highway Commission easily recognized the necessity and importance of co-operation and accordingly in 1917 plans were laid and steps taken to extend State and Federal Aid.

During 1917 and 1918 a total of 83.54 miles of survey was made on the two principal roads of the County. 45.26 miles on the Old Oregon Trail and 38.28 miles on the La Grande-Joseph Highway.

Agreements were signed by the Secretary of Agriculture providing for co-operation with the State on equal basis, for the grading of a six mile section between Union and Telocaset and a 9.37 mile section between Elgin and Minam. The respective amounts expended on each of these projects to the date of this report, November 30, 1918, are: $16,642.29 and $3,838.44. State funds amounting to $5,000.00 have been expended for grading in cooperation with the County on the La Grande-Hot Lake Section. This road is 7.95 miles in length and involves the opening of a new road for the entire distance. The State Highway Commission has set aside funds for graveling this section preparatory to surfacing. The completion of these three projects will require approximately $66,737.06 from the State, $35,575.50 from the Federal Government, and $3,000 from the County.

The following summary shows for each project amounts expended to date and funds set aside to be expended during 1919:

The absence of figures in the column headed “County funds” in the above tabulation is explained by the fact that Union County, in the matter of co-operation, has agreed to expend certain sums on other roads than those mentioned in the table. The County’s appropriation for the improvement of the La Grande-Kamela section of the Old Oregon Trail is $40,000.00 and $10,000.00 additional has been stipulated for use in improving the Elgin-Willow Creek Section of the La Grande-Joseph Highway. The County has also provided funds for the completion of the grading between La Grande and Hot Lake.

In August, 1918, the State Highway Commission called for bids on the grading of a six mile section between Union and Telocaset. The Union County Court was the successful bidder and the Commission awarded the contract but it later developed that the County could not legally hold the position of contractor in doing State work. As the other bids were unsatisfactory the situation resulted in the State taking over the work and doing it with the State forces, and by November 30, the project was about 60% complete. The total estimated cost of this work is $30,000.00 and $16,642.29 has been expended to date. Mr. R. A. Pratt is resident engineer in charge.

The State Highway Commission opened bids on the grading of a 9.37 mile section between Elgin and Minam Hill. In the letting of this work they experienced the same difficulty as with the Union-Telocaset work. (See report on theUnion-Telocaset grading). The subsequent action of the State Highway Commission in taking the contract over to be done by State forces resulted in work starting in August, 1918. Owing to weather and soil conditions work on this section has closed down for the winter. The amount expended is $3,838.44 and the total estimated cost is $41,151.00. Mr. R. A. Pratt, resident engineer for the State Highway Department was in charge of this work and Mr. C. A. Dunn was superintendent.

In November, 1917, the State Highway Department appropriated $5,000.00 to co-operate on the grading of that section of the Old Oregon Trail between Hot Lake and La Grande. Grading work started within the month and two miles were graded when work was closed for the winter.

This work was continued during the present season and up to November 30, about five miles of grade had been completed. In addition to the $5,000.00 of State money the County has expended about $3,000.00. It will require about $3,000.00 to complete the grading and an additional $5,500.00 for bridges. The bridge plans call for concrete structures.

The State Highway Department has made a location survey of 45.26 miles of the Old Oregon Trail in Union County. The survey begins at the Union-Umatilla County Line near Kamela and continues through La Grande, Hot Lake and Union and ends at Telocaset. Office plans are complete for most of this work. Locating engineer D. D. Glass made the survey from La Grande to Telocaset and R. H. Baldock, locating engineer, was in charge of the work between Kamela and La Grande.

In 1917 a final location survey was made from La Grande to Minam, a distance of 38.28 miles. D. G. Glass, locating engineer for the State Department, was in charge of the crews. Beginning at La Grande the line runs through Island City, and Elgin and ends at Minam at the confluence of the Minam and Wallowa Rivers. Plans for this work are practically complete. The location from Island City to Elgin is to be reconsidered with the view of making some changes in the route.

A SURVEY CAMP IN EASTERN OREGONA SURVEY CAMP IN EASTERN OREGON

A SURVEY CAMP IN EASTERN OREGON

A co-operative agreement between the State and Government provides for the construction of a portion of the Old Oregon Trail between Union and Telocaset. This section, six miles in length, begins at Union and follows up Pyles Canyon near the location of the present road to a point 1.5 miles north of Telocaset.

The total estimated cost of this project is $30,000.00 making $15,000.00 to be paid by each the State and Government. Union County joins in the co-operation of the work, in case the total cost exceeds the amount stipulated in the Federal agreement. If the total cost should exceed the estimate given in the project agreement, the County agrees to pay the full amount of such cost.

Work was started on this section August, 1918, and $20,575.50 had been expended to November 30. R. A. Pratt is resident engineer for the Department. The work is being done by the State forces under the supervision of C. A. Dunn, assistant engineer.

The State Highway Commission secured an agreement with the U. S. Office of Public Roads providing for the construction of a 9.37 mile section of the La Grande-Joseph Highway. The survey for this improvement begins at Elgin and follows east in the direction of the present road to the top of Minam Hill.

It is estimated that this work will cost $41,151.00 or $20,575.50 for each the State and Government. In case the cost of this work exceeds the estimate shown in the project agreement, the County agrees to pay such cost. In this manner Union County is co-operating in this improvement.

Work opened up here in August under the supervision of C. A. Dunn, assistant engineer, for the Department. State forces are employed on force account basis. The expenditures to November 30 amount to $3,838.44, and the project is about 10% completed. R. A. Pratt is resident engineer for the State Department.

Wallowa County’s road problem is entirely local in character as this district is not touched by a trunk road of the State system. Some very good natural roads are found in this district, while others are very bad. The latter designation applies more especially to some of the mountain roads, which are extremely narrow and very dangerous.

The La Grande-Joseph Highway is very important locally, since it is the only road connecting the valley with outside points. The people in general are very much interested in highway possibilities, but the County funds have proven inadequate to make much of a showing towards permanent work. Most of the available County funds are required for maintenance of the existing roads, many of which extend through mountainous areas. Additional State aid is much needed if any substantial improvements are hoped for.

A general reconnaissance survey was made in October, 1918, by the State Highway Department from Elgin to Joseph. The purpose was to gather general information for the use of the State Highway Commission. This survey was made by M. O. Bennett, division engineer for Eastern Oregon.

During this visit the matter of Post Road Aid was taken up with the County authorities. It was understood that the County would make application at once, but it appears that no further action was taken.

The State Highway Commission has extended aid to Wallowa County by co-operating on the Flora-Enterprise Forest Road and also helped to secure Government aid on the same project. The County made an appropriation to help in the construction of this road. Work is in progress on this road under the direction of the U. S. Office of Public Roads. The following statement shows the estimate cost and segregation of funds:

An appropriation has been made, by the State Highway Department, from the Post Road Fund for co-operation in the paving of a two mile section of The Dalles-California Highway between the east city limits of The Dalles and Three Mile Creek.

A project statement has been prepared, requesting $14,830.00 from the U. S. Office of Public Roads. The State will supply a like amount and Wasco County $4,000.00. This makes a total of $33,660.00 which is the estimated cost of the project.

The present gravel road will serve as a base for the pavement which is to be 16 feet wide. The improvement will include re-ditching of the road bed and the installation of culvert pipe in several places.

It is planned that work will start early in 1910.

The section of The Dalles-California Highway in Wasco County between Pine Hollow, near Dufur, and Kingsley is designated by the State Highway Commission as a Post Road. This section is 4.0 miles long and follows near the line of the present road. The project begins at the road forks 21⁄4miles south of Dufur and ends at a point on the present road 11⁄2miles north of Kingsley.

The plans provide for the grading of the road bed, the estimated cost of which is $14,500. The State and Government are each requested to appropriate $2,500.00 and the County will expend $9,500.00. It is expected this work will be done in 1919.

The State Highway Commission has designated as a Post Road a three mile section of The Dalles-California Highway immediately north of Antelope. This is known as the Antelope Grade Section. The new road will be a 6% grade along near the present road.

The total estimated cost of grading to standard width and properly draining is $30,000.00; and the funds are to be provided as follows: State $2,500.00; Government, $2,500.00; and Wasco County, $25,000.00.

It is hoped this work will start early in 1919.

A survey was made in April, 1918, for the Columbia River Highway between Seufert and the Deschutes River, along the river for the purpose of comparison with a previous survey over the hill, conforming closely to the present road.

This route, which was subsequently adopted, has a summit of 210 feet against 780 feet on the hill route, and a length of 12.8 miles, a saving of 2.7 miles in distance. Between The Dalles and Seufert about two miles was graded to standard width and grade in 1917. The proposed route follows close to the railroad, which is crossed near Big Eddy on a proposed overhead bridge and utilizes the old State Portage Railroad roadbed, as wellas the already graded bank of the Government canal. Near Celilo, another overhead crossing of the O.-W. R. R. & N. Co. tracks is proposed, and from this point to the Deschutes River the highway is located between the Oregon Trunk Railroad and the O.-W. R. R. & N. Co., using about two miles of abandoned railroad roadbed.

This improvement requires only very light construction, except for short distances, and it is believed it can be kept free from drifting blow sand by the use of sand fences, as the Portage Railroad is used where the sand is the worst, and this was kept open with very little maintenance. With a smooth roadbed, and with nothing to cause drifting, it is thought that the maintenance on this account will be negligible.

The route is attractive, as it makes available at close range the Locks at Big Eddy, the Celilo Canal, and the magnificent Celilo Falls. The estimated cost of this project is $142,500.00. It is proposed to include this project in the 1919 program.

Among the bridges expected to be built in the near future is the proposed reinforced concrete arch bridge over the Deschutes river at Miller, about a mile above the river’s mouth. This will be a State and Inter-county structure, and will connect Sherman and Gilliam Counties on the Columbia River Highway, and will be located a few hundred feet below the present old wooden toll bridge which it will replace.

The design, which is practically completed, contemplates seven arch spans aggregating 580 feet in length with a filled approach at either end. The estimated cost of the bridge is $75,000.00.

During 1917 and 1918, the State Highway Department in co-operation with Washington County has completed the grading, bridging and paving of the West Side Highway across that County. This work has involved the grading and paving of 12.5 miles and the construction of three bridges and one undergrade railway crossing. On this work, when final payments are complete, the State will have expended $292,000.00 and the County will have expended $10,000.00.

In addition to this construction, the Department has made surveys between Beaverton and Hillsboro and between Forest Grove and Gaston, and has furnished the County engineering services in connection with the grading of these two sections.

The pavement on the West Side State Highway between the Multnomah County Line and Newberg is 15.7 miles in length, of which 12.5 miles is in Washington County and 3.2 miles in Yamhill County. This pavement is a two-inch standard bitulithic surface on a crushed rock base. It is sixteen feet wide with a two-foot macadam shoulder on each side. The grading in Washington County and the paving in both Washington and Yamhill Counties was done by Oskar Huber of Portland under a contract awarded him on July 30, 1917. The work was started in August, 1917, and was completed in October, 1918.

COVERED WOOD BRIDGE OVER THE TUALATIN RIVER ON THE WEST SIDE HIGHWAY IN WASHINGTON COUNTY BUILT IN 1918COVERED WOOD BRIDGE OVER THE TUALATIN RIVER ON THE WEST SIDE HIGHWAYIN WASHINGTON COUNTY BUILT IN 1918

COVERED WOOD BRIDGE OVER THE TUALATIN RIVER ON THE WEST SIDE HIGHWAYIN WASHINGTON COUNTY BUILT IN 1918

The grading in Washington County will cost complete approximately $39,699.85 of which Washington County has paid $9,395.00. The part of the paving within Washington County will cost complete $234,750.00 all of which is paid for from State Funds.

This crossing consists of a laminated wood deck on heavy stringers supported by a series of creosoted pile bents. It is on the West Side Highway about four miles southwest of Tigard and is designed for heavy traffic loading.

An asphaltic wearing surface prevents moisture coming in contact with the wooden floor and with the treated piling tends to give the maximum length of life to the main members of the structure. This bridge is 600 feet long and cost complete $8,372.22.

The Fanno Creek bridge at Tigard on the West Side Highway consists of a superstructure similar to the Onion Flat bridge, carried on wood bents on concrete foundations. A sidewalk was built on one side to accommodate pedestrians. The bridge is 70 feet long and cost $1,882.81.

The bridge consists of a covered Howe truss wooden bridge of 144 foot span and 166 lineal feet of pile trestle approach.

Like the others constructed by the State on main highways, this bridge is of heavy traffic design, and the bridge and approaches have laminated wood floors with asphaltic wearing surfaces. Windows are provided at panel points to provide light and to add to the appearance of the structure. Cost $12,968.60.

A grade separation was made on the West Side Highway near Votaw, wherein a wooden trestle was constructed to carry the Southern Pacific line above the roadway. The structure was designed and built under the supervision of the railroad’s engineering department.

Final settlement has not yet been made with the Railway Company, but it is estimated that the State’s share of the cost of this structure will be $4,000.00. The balance of the cost will be paid by the Railway Company, no share of the cost being borne by the County.

A location survey was started January 1, 1918, from the West City limits of Beaverton and completed to the city limits of Hillsboro, a distance of 7.7 miles. The alignment parallels the Southern Pacific Railway on the north side of the tracks and eliminates four grade crossings. The entire section was graded by Washington County during the 1918 season.

A survey was made from Forest Grove to Gaston, a distance of approximately 6 miles. The alignment follows the existing road with the exception of a change at Dilley to eliminate two railroad crossings.

Considerable grading was done between Dilley and Gaston, reducing the grade to five per cent.

Mr. C. G. Reiter, County Surveyor of Washington County, was employed as locating engineer for the State, and also supervised the grading in both of the above sections.

Wheeler County, being without either rail or water transportation facilities, is entirely dependent upon its roads for communication with outside points, as well as between points within the County. All of the large amount of agricultural products of the county must be transported for long distances over roads and highways, and likewise, all manufactured articles and other supplies from points without the County must be brought in over them. For that reason, good roads are of the utmost importance to all of Wheeler County, which fact is fully recognized by the Wheeler County people.

Every effort is being made by the County to build up and improve its road system, but the funds available within the County are entirely inadequate. In November, 1916, bonds were voted to the amount of $80,000.00, the maximum allowed the County under the State laws, but this amount ishardly enough to make a beginning on the necessary road construction in the county, as Wheeler County is rough and mountainous, and road construction is therefore heavy and expensive.

The State Highway Commission realizing the importance of the construction of roads in this County, and the impossibility of the financing of their construction by the County alone, early determined to assist to the greatest possible extent.

Surveys have been made by the Department over all but two miles of the two most important cross-county roads, the John Day River Highway and the McKenzie River Highway. During 1917 and 1918 the State Highway Department expended the sum of $46,997.79, cooperating with the County in the construction of 4.2 miles of grading and macadamizing between Fossil and the Gilliam County Line. State aid was also granted the County to the amount of $14,235.45 for the construction of nine-tenths of a mile, known as the Bridge Creek Section, on the McKenzie River Highway just west of Mitchell, the total cost of which was $24,235.45.

For the construction of 25.5 miles on the John Day River Highway between the mouth of Sarvice Creek and the Grant County Line, the Highway Department has set aside the sum of $63,345.70 to be added to 63,345.70 of Federal Post Road Funds and $36,000.00 of county funds to provide the total amount of $162,691.40 which the project is estimated to cost.

The Department has further been instrumental in securing Federal Aid for the construction of a Forest Road Project 5.5 miles in length between Mitchell and the Crook County Line, known as the Ochoco Canyon Project. On this project the State will expend $20,050.00, the Federal Government, $20,050.00 and the County, $4,900.00, $45,000.00 in all.

In summary, State Aid and Federal Government Aid extended to Wheeler County during 1917 and 1918 and set aside to be expended in 1919 and 1920, are as follows:

On June 19th 1917, a contract was let to the Elliott Contracting Co. of Portland, Oregon, for the construction of 3.5 miles of grade between the foot of Cummings Hill, north of Fossil, and the Gilliam County line. This construction was a five per cent development to eliminate the heavy grades and narrow roadbed of the former road. Work was commenced on July6th, 1917, and completed on October 5th, 1917. The work of the contracting firm was very satisfactory, and an excellent piece of grading was secured. The Engineer in charge for the Highway Department was Mr. B. H. McNamee.

The total cost of the work was $14,532.35, of which the State paid $7,004.85 and Wheeler County $7,527.50. The detailed cost statement follows:

The grading of a nine-tenth mile section in Bridge Creek Canyon was contracted to the United Contracting Co. of Portland, Oregon, on November 27th, 1917. This section is on the McKenzie River Highway about four miles west of Mitchell. In addition to the grading, the contract involved the construction of a ninety foot bridge over Bridge Creek.

The work was started on February 15th, 1918 and completed on June 20th, 1918. The engineering was in charge of Mr. R. H. Coppock.

The total cost of the work was $24,235.45 of which the State paid $14,235.45 and Wheeler County $10,000. The detailed cost statement follows:

On August 7th, 1917, no satisfactory unit price bid having been received, the State Highway Department entered into a “cost plus” contract with the Warren Construction Company of Portland, Oregon, to macadamize with broken stone the Cummins Hill Section between Fossil and the Gilliam County line, on the John Day River Highway. The rock for thiswork was crushed on the job, and the macadam surface was constructed sixteen feet wide with a compacted thickness of six inches.

Payment to contractor was made on the basis of actual cost plus a percentage of 10 per cent on labor and five per cent on materials.

To November 30th, 1918, the State had expended $32,465.44 on this work, and it is estimated that there are bills outstanding against it to the amount of $1,500.00.

In addition to the 3.4 miles of grading done by the State on Cummins Hill the County continued the grading at the foot of the hill for a distance of 0.7 miles, making a total of 4.2 miles. The full section has been macadamized, giving Wheeler County 4.2 miles of standard macadam road.

During the 1918 season, the County has graded under State supervision, a one and seven tenths mile section about nine miles southeast of Fossil on the John Day River Highway. This section is known as the Butte Creek Summit Section. The construction was paid for entirely by the County. Engineering supervision was furnished by the State Highway Department, the engineer in charge of the work being Mr. B. H. McNamee.

The total amount expended by the County, prior to November 30th, on this work was approximately $30,000.00, and the quantities of construction completed to this date were as follows:

During April and May, 1918, Wheeler County graded, under the direction of the State Highway Department, a section of the John Day Highway between Cummins Hill and Fossil. This grade was .7 of a mile in length and joined up with the Cummins Hill grading. This improvement cost the County approximately $4,000.00. Geo. Hibbert was inspector and transitman in charge for the State Department.

With the exception of a two mile section immediately West of Fossil, the entire John Day River Highway through Wheeler County is covered by location survey made during the past two years. The total length of survey on this highway is 41.5 miles. For all but about twelve miles, of this total, the detailed plans are practically complete. The survey of this highway has been in charge of B. H. McNamee.

The State Highway Department has completed a survey of the McKenzie River Highway in Wheeler County from the boundary of the Ochoco National Forest west of Mitchell to the Grant County Line near Dayville, atotal distance of 48 miles. This survey was made by Locating Engineer R. H. Coppock. The plans are complete except for the eight miles west from the Grant County line.

From the west end of this survey at Ochoco Forest boundary, the Federal Office of Public Roads has made a survey to the Crook County line, so the survey of the McKenzie River Highway is complete all of the way through Wheeler County.

In 1917, pursuant to a request from the County Court, a section of Highway No. 14 between Mitchell and Antelope was surveyed. This survey begins at the point on the Mitchell-Prineville survey about four miles west of Mitchell and extends 1.4 miles down Bridge Creek to where connection is made with the present road. This survey was made by R. H. Coppock, locating engineer.

Application has been made to, and approved, by the Federal Office of Public Roads for Post Road co-operation on a 48.5 miles section of the John Day River Highway in Wheeler and Grant Counties. 25.5 miles of this project are in Wheeler County and 23 miles in Grant County. The total estimated cost of the project is $400,433.79, and the funds are to be provided as follows: State $157,216.90, Government $157,216.89; Wheeler County $36,000.00 and Grant County $50,000.00.

The survey for this project parallels the John Day River on the north bank, through Wheeler County and extends from the mouth of Sarvice Creek in Wheeler County to Valades Ranch about four miles West of Dayville in Grant County. In Grant County a crossing is made to the west bank near the upper end of the Big Basin.

It is expected that construction will be commenced on the Sarvice Creek-Valades Ranch Project early in 1919.

A Federal Aid Co-operative Agreement has been entered into between the State, the Federal Government, and Wheeler County for the grading of a 5.5 mile section on the McKenzie River Highway. This section is known as the Ochoco Canyon Section and extends from the Crook County line to a point about 16 miles west of Mitchell.

This work is estimated to cost $45,000.00 of which the State will pay $20,050.00, Wheeler County $4,900.00, and the Federal Government $20,050.00. It is expected that this section will be built during the 1919 season.

In Yamhill County the State Highway Department has co-operated with the County in the grading and paving of 3.2 miles between Rex and Newberg and of 4 miles between Sheridan and McMinnville. The total expenditure on this work amounts to $147,000.00 of which the County has paid $18,273.49.

An effort has been made to secure Federal Aid in the construction of a section of the Portland-Tillamook Highway from Grande Ronde west.With this in view, the necessary surveys have been made, and it is expected that Federal Aid will be secured so that the construction may be undertaken during the 1919 season.

In 1917 the Highway Department constructed with its own forces and equipment 1.8 miles of concrete pavement from Sheridan east on the Sheridan-McMinnville Road. This pavement was 16 feet wide, 61⁄2inches thick at the center and 51⁄2inches thick at the edges. The mix used was a 1 : 11⁄2: 3.

In connection with the paving there was a considerable amount of grading, the total expenditure for grading, culverts, etc., being $5,651.70. The cost of the 1.8 miles of paving was $31,432.99, the unit cost being $1.82 per cubic yard.

Yamhill County co-operated in the payment for this work to the amount of $10,000.00. A complete statement of the costs on this work is given below.

Early in 1918, Yamhill County requested that the concrete pavement laid in 1917 be continued to a total length of four miles, and offered to pay for all grading necessary in connection therewith. This request was granted by the Highway Commission and in the early spring, construction was started on the additional 2.2 miles.

The type of pavement laid on this section was the same as that laid in 1917, except that crushed rock aggregate was used instead of gravel, and the mix was reduced to 1 : 2 : 31⁄2.


Back to IndexNext