HENRY S. MYGATT President of the Bi-Centennial CelebrationHENRY S. MYGATTPresident of the Bi-Centennial Celebration
Contributed by Charles N. Hall
InApril, 1906, a call was issued in the columns of theNew Milford Gazette, asking all citizens to meet at Mygatt’s Hall, Bank Street, on Monday evening, April 30, to consider the project of celebrating the town’s two hundredth anniversary.
About forty citizens responded to the appeal and met at the appointed time and place.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. William G. Green, and Mr. Henry S. Mygatt was appointed chairman of the meeting.
After full discussion as to the possibility and advisability of such a celebration as that implied in the call, the following preamble and resolution were adopted:
“Whereas, New Milford was first settled in the year of our Lord, 1707, and has from a humble beginning gone steadily forward in growth and prosperity, through the industry and patriotism of its sons and daughters, and the blessings of a Divine Providence:
“And Whereas, It seems fitting that the two hundredth anniversary of this town, now near at hand, should be recognized and celebrated by all its citizens in such manner as to confer proper dignity upon the occasion; to call together for a day all its children; to honor the memories of those who contributed to its past and present welfare; to show the industrial, agricultural, commercial, educational, and religious progress of the community throughout the past years; and to give due thanks to the Providence that has watched over it.
“Therefore it is Resolved: That during the year 1907, upon a date to be named at a future meeting, there shall be held a celebration to be known as the New Milford Bi-Centennial.”
After further discussion as to forms of organization, it was voted:
“That in accordance with the spirit of the foregoing resolution, this meeting shall appoint a General Committee of Arrangements, said committee to have entire charge of all arrangements pertaining to the New Milford Bi-Centennial Celebration; to have power to make changes in and additions to its own numbers; to have authority to appoint and organize all necessary sub-committees, and the power to direct the work of such sub-committees, and to make removals and substitutions in such sub-committees; and to take any and all measures necessary to carry the foregoing resolution into effect.”
The meeting then appointed a Nominating Committee consisting of C. M. Beach, W. G. Green, H. L. Randall, S. S. Green, G. M. Breinig, and Rev. Marmaduke Hare, to present to the meeting the names of those who should constitute the General Committee of Arrangements.
After consultation, the Nominating Committee presented a list of those persons who should constitute the General Committee, and those so named were by vote declared appointed as the General Committee of Arrangements, with the powers and duties above set forth.
It was then voted:
“That when this meeting adjourns, the chairman of this meeting shall have authority to call, at his pleasure, a meeting of the General Committee of Arrangements.”
The meeting then adjourned.
The General Committee of Arrangements met on July 6, 1906, about one hundred members being present. At this meeting a permanent organization was effected, officers elected, sub-committees appointed, and a date set for the celebration.
The officers elected were:
Permanent Chairman and President, Henry S. Mygatt; Vice-Presidents, Andrew G. Barnes, Francis E. Baldwin, Stephen C. Beach; General Secretary, Charles N. Hall.
It was voted:
“That the Celebration be held on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, June 15, 16, 17, 18, 1907.”
It was voted:
“That Sub-Committees be created as follows:
An Executive Committee,
A Finance Committee,
A Committee on Exercises,
A Committee on Refreshments,
A Committee on Decoration,
A Committee on Publicity,
A Committee of Invitation, Reception, and Entertainment;
A Committee on Religious Observances,
A Committee of Public Safety,
A Committee on Historical Research and Permanent Publication.”
It was further voted:
“That each member of the General Committee pay the sum of one dollar, and each member of a sub-committee the additional sum of two dollars to the Bi-Centennial fund.”
Subsequently the Executive Committee, acting for the General Committee, appointed from time to time other sub-committees found necessary in the progress of the work. These were:
A Loan Exhibit Committee,
A Committee on Vocal Music,
A Colonial Reception Committee.
The officers and members of the General Committee of Arrangements were as follows:
President,Henry S. Mygatt;
Vice Presidents,Andrew G. Barnes,Frances E. Baldwin,Stephen C. Beach;
Secretary,Charles N. Hall;
Members
SEYMOUR S. GREENChairman Executive CommitteeHONORABLE ANDREW G. BARNESVice-President
STEPHEN C. BEACHVice-PresidentFRANCIS E. BALDWINVice-PresidentSOME OFFICERS OF THE BI-CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION
The members of the special committees—appointed by the General Committee[15]to arrange for and carry out the plans for the Celebration—were:
Executive Committee: Seymour S. Green, chairman; J. B. Merwin, Everett Sturges, Verton P. Staub, Mrs. H. S. Mygatt, Mrs. C. M. Beach.
Finance Committee: H. Leroy Randall, chairman; Charles H. Noble, treasurer; Willis G. Barton, William G. Green, Turney Soule, Edwin J. Emmons.
Committee on Exercises: Charles M. Beach, chairman; John H. Morehouse, clerk; Willis F. Bennett, Frank E. Soule, D. W. Pepper, John Pettibone, Mrs. Verton P. Staub, Frederic M. Williams, Joseph La Hait, Samuel R. Hill, Chauncey B. Marsh, Miss Helen M. Boardman, Miss Ella F. Noble, and the selectmen of the town,ex officio.
The Committee on Exercises appointed the following marshals for the Civic and Military Parade, and the following sub-committees to arrange for Colonial features in the Parade and for an Automobile Carnival on Monday, June 17:
Marshals: Samuel R. Hill, chief marshal; David E. Soule, George E. Ackley, Henry O. Warner.
Committee on Colonial Features: Willis F. Bennett, chairman; Alfred H. Noble, clerk; William G. Green, Dr. Charles P. Blinn, Chauncey B. Marsh, Mrs. J. C. Barker, Miss Helen M. Boardman.
Committee on Automobile Parade: Roland F. Mygatt, chairman;
H. LEROY RANDALLFinance CommitteeW. F. KINNEYInvitation, Reception andEntertainmentCommittee
FREDERICK E. STARRMusic CommitteeCHARLES P. BENTLEYDecoration CommitteeCHAIRMEN OF SOME BI-CENTENNIAL COMMITTEES
Henry D. Hine, Dr. B. E. Bostwick, Robert Dunlap, S. Woolsey Pepper, George T. Soule.
Committee on Refreshments: Miss Adaline L. Buck, chairman; J. Edwin Hungerford, clerk; H. C. Ives, Vincent B. Sterling, Mrs. Charles N. Hall, Mrs. Margaret Moore, Mrs. A. C. Clark, James E. Mullins, Wm. L. Richmond, Mrs. Walter C. Hine, George E. Ackley, P. M. Cassedy, Dr. B. E. Bostwick, Emil Anderson.
Committee on Decorations: Charles P. Bentley, chairman; Wm. B. Pell, Dr. Charles P. Blinn, John F. Addis, Geo. T. Soule, Frederick L. Bennett, Henry D. Hine, Mrs. F. E. King, W. H. Adams, A. W. Peelstrom, Levi P. Giddings.
Committee on Publicity: Charles N. Hall, chairman; W. G. Brown, Dr. Geo. H. Wright, A. C. Worley, David E. Breinig.
Committee on Invitation, Reception and Entertainment: W. F. Kinney, chairman; Miss Sarah J. Roberts, secretary; Russell B. Noble, Mrs. Frederic M. Williams, Mrs. H. S. Mygatt, Mrs. Albert H. McMahon, Henry S. Sanford, Andrew C. Clark, Stanley L. Warner, Mrs. Isaac Reynolds, Alexander H. Barlow, Andrew J. Baldwin, Charles Northrop, Mrs. George B. Ackley, Mrs. C. E. Wright, Miss Caro S. Sanford, Mrs. Chas. Taylor, Mrs. Wm. Bostwick, Mrs. Catherine Smith, Mrs. H. E. Bostwick, Orrin Roberts, Mrs. Merritt Beach, Alanson N. Canfield, Albert Evitts, George H. Jackson, Mrs. Wm. B. Pell, Miss A. E. Bostwick, Francis E. Baldwin, Oliver S. Hartwell, Mrs. E. O. Marsh, Henry Ferriss, Miss Jeannette L. Gaylord, Seeley B. Richmond, Mrs. Carlos Merwin, J. B. Merwin, Mrs. W. D. Black, Mrs. J. L. Buck, Mrs. Phœbe L. Anderson, Mrs. Henry R. Treadwell, Mrs. Wm. G. Green, Mrs. G. H. Jackson, Chas. B. Camp, Cyrus A. Todd, and the selectmen of the town,ex-officio.
The chairman of this committee appointed Albert Evitts, chairman of reception; Henry S. Sanford, chairman of entertainment.
Committee on Religious Observances: Rev. Frank A. Johnson, chairman; Rev. John F. Plumb, Rev. Frank B. Draper, Rev. T. J. Cronin, Rev. J. J. Burke, Rev. Marmaduke Hare, Rev.Stephen Heacock, Rev. H. K. Smith, Rev. S. D. Woods, Rev. T. J. Lee.
Committee of Public Safety: Henry Donnelly, chairman; Charles Planz, Albert H. McMahon, L. N. Jennings, Charles Reilly, Chas. H. Osborne.
Committee on Historical Research and Permanent Publication: Minot S. Giddings, chairman; Russell B. Noble, Mrs. Henry E. Bostwick, Miss Charlotte B. Bennett, Miss Kate T. Boardman.
Committee on Loan Exhibit: Dr. George H. Wright, chairman: Wm. B. Pell, C. Andrew Humeston, Miss Flora G. Stillson, Herman C. Buckingham, Mrs. Clarissa R. M. Staples, Miss Jeanette L. Gaylord, Miss Mabelle Sanford.
Committee on Vocal Music: F. E. Starr, chairman; Prof. Edwin G. Clemence, director; Henry C. Harris, Mrs. H. S. Mygatt, Rev. H. K. Smith, Mrs. M. W. Hill.
Committee on Colonial Reception: Stephen C. Beach, chairman; W. F. Kinney, Wm. G. Green, J. Stuart Halpine, Charles M. Beach, Henry S. Sanford, Roland F. Mygatt, Frank W. Marsh.
All the committees worked nobly and in perfect harmony.
Upon the Finance Committee devolved the responsibility of raising the necessary funds, and the duty was splendidly performed. Solicitors were appointed in each district of the town, and furnished with books in which subscriptions were pledged to be paid on or before April 1, 1907. The solicitors, besides the members of the Committee, were: Henry W. Murray, Oliver W. Hoyt, Henry M. Baldwin, Nicholas Glennon, Nelson W. Kinney, Edgar A. Peet, John W. Pulver, John T. Underhill, Daniel Marsh, Walter C. Hine, Millard B. Dorwin, Charles H. Evans, Chauncey B. Marsh, Henry S. Mygatt, Charles N. Hall.
So successful was this canvass that the needed funds were all subscribed before May 15. The result speaks volumes for the enterprise and systematic work of the Finance Committee, as well as for the generosity and public spirit of New Milford’s citizens.
The Executive Committee met frequently to authorize appropriationsand receive reports, and, in May, opened an office in the Knapp Building on Bank Street, the second floor of that building having been very generously placed at their disposal by Mr. Frederic Knapp of Hartford.
Meetings of all the Chairmen of Committees were occasionally held, and were found very useful in promoting the work.
The Committee on Exercises had the greatest task to perform in arranging a suitable and comprehensive programme of exercises for the entire Celebration, co-operating as to Sunday’s exercises with the Committee on Religious Observances. In order to secure full participation in the Parade, District Committees were appointed throughout the town, to look after Parade features in their respective localities.
These Committees were:
Lower Merryall: F. C. Merwin, H. W. Murray, S. B. Hendrix, W. D. Stone, John Pepper.
Waller: John T. Underhill, Smith Waller, Thomas Austin, Alexander H. Barlow.
Hunt: Nelson W. Kinney, M. W. Beers, Earle Morehouse, Chester Lyon.
Long Mountain: Henry M. Baldwin, H. H. Pomeroy, Wm. Pomeroy.
Gaylordsville: Chas. H. Evans, Wm. Gaylord, Chas, H. Soule, George Newton, Wm. J. Roberts.
Northville: Francis E. Baldwin, A. C. Bowers, E. B. Buckingham, Walter C. Hine.
Still River: Percy Collins, Fred P. Chase, Stanley L. Warner, Chas. H. Stevens.
Park Lane: N. H. Root, James S. Sullivan, W. B. Leavenworth.
Hill and Plain: Wm. D. Wanzer, Arthur E. Knowles, Merwin P. Hine, Geo. W. Hatch.
Second Hill: Robert Duncan, Robert J. Hungerford, Mrs. A. C. Clark, Mrs. J. A. Cowan, Mrs. T. Walsh, Wm. Hartwell, Millard B. Dorwin, Joshep Cowan, Miss Alice Beers, Mrs. Wm. Johnson, Mrs. Hans Ahlstrom.
Upper Merryall: V. B. Hatch, Israel B. Smith, A. H. Squires, Geo. W. Squires, Fred M. Straight.
Pickett: Nicholas Glennon, Mervin Andrews, Leslie Marsh. Chestnut Land: Ivory Phillips, P. E. Clark, Howard C. Clark, Frank Erwin, Fred Anderson, E. F. Hartwell, Samuel Thompson.
Aspetuck: Daniel Marsh, Joseph Hill, E. Noble Bennett, Levi S. Richmond.
Boardman: Oliver W. Hoyt, Andrew G. Barnes, Sheldon Northrop.
The District Committee on refreshments were:
Upper Merryall: Mrs. Geo. B. Ackley, Geo. W. Squires; assisted by Mrs. Wm. Birkins, Mrs. Frederick Squires.
Lower Merryall: Mrs. Carlos P. Merwin, Mrs. Geo. N. Abbott, Mrs. H. W. Murray.
Hunt: Mrs. Myron W. Toohey.
Northville: Mrs. Walter C. Hine, Miss Elizabeth Baldwin.
Chestnut Land: Miss May Galvin, Edgar Phillips.
Second Hill: Mrs. Robert J. Hungerford, Mrs. Joseph A. Cowan.
Park Lane: Mrs. Mary D. Bostwick, Mrs. Wesley Northrop, Mrs. Edward C. Howland.
Boardman: Mrs. Oliver W. Hoyt, Mrs. Henry W. Kimlin; assisted by the Christian Endeavor Social Union.
Waller: Mrs. Thomas Austin, Mrs. Smith M. Waller.
Gaylordsville: Mrs. Arthur Hungerford, Mrs. J. A. Dolan.
Long Mountain: Mrs. Henry M. Baldwin, Miss Minnie Pomeroy.
Aspetuck: Mrs. Levi Richmond, J. Fred McEwan.
Hill and Plain: Mrs. Robert Osborne, Arthur E. Knowles.
Lanesville: Mrs. Laura Campbell, Mrs. Nora Dickey, Mrs. Horace A. Allen.
Pickett: Mrs. Edward O. Marsh, Mrs. Daniel B. Brewer, Miss Bessie Adams.
Center: Mrs. W. C. Beeman, Miss Kathleen Duncan, Mrs. Robert S. Todd, Mrs. Timothy Heacock, Miss Bessie I. Brown, Mrs. V. B. Sterling, Mrs. A. M. Booth, Mrs. P. M. Cassedy,
EDWIN G. CLEMENCEConductor of the ChorusMISS ADALINE L. BUCKChairman Refreshment Committee
CHARLES J. RYDER, D. D.One of the SpeakersHENRY DONNELLYChairman Public Safety Committee
Mrs. W. M. Keeler, Mrs. Albert Sterling, Mrs. Emil Anderson, Donald E. Hungerford, Francis Mulcahy, Clifford Castle, Mrs. James E. Mullens.
The Committee on Decorations furnished the town with a fine public flag pole and flag, to be used first at the opening exercises of the Celebration. The committee also carried out the beautiful plan of decoration and illumination on Main Street.
The Committee on Publicity kept the Celebration before the public in many ways. Printed envelopes of the Bi-Centennial were furnished to the citizens to the extent of several thousand. One thousand very attractive cards were sent throughout the State, and frequent items were published in all the newspapers of the State. This committee also published the official Programme of the Celebration.
The Committee of Invitation, Reception, and Entertainment devised, addressed, and sent out the official invitations; arranged for the official reception of all guests; and, in many ways, made all guests feel truly welcome. This committee arranged for Reception Headquarters and a Bureau of Information in Roger Sherman Hall during the Celebration.
The Committee on Religious Observances had charge of the exercises on Sunday, June 16, and arranged so well that this proved to be one of the most delightful days of the Celebration.
The Committee of Public Safety, co-operating with the selectmen of the town, provided most complete arrangements for the preservation of order and the safety of property throughout the days and nights of the Celebration.
The work of the Historical Committee was difficult and important in a high degree, and the task of collecting all the historical facts needed, and presenting the whole in attractive and interesting form, kept all the members extremely busy up to the opening of the Celebration. The committee received most practical and valuable assistance from The Grafton Press of New York City, which not only contracted to publish the book of the Bi-Centennial, but in many ways facilitated the preliminary work. This firm agreed to report, for the book, the entireproceedings of the four days, and, to this end, established a representative on the spot some days in advance, to remain throughout the Celebration. The reportorial work was under his direction.
The Loan Exhibit Committee were tendered the use of Grand Army Hall, through the kindness of Upton Post, and began early to look up all articles of historic value and interest. The amount of work involved was very great, but was most successfully accomplished.
The Committee on Colonial Features made preparations which contributed very greatly to the interest and success of the parade, spending a great deal of time and thought in representing the scenes of old Colonial days.
The Committee on Colonial Reception prepared the hall and made all arrangements for one of the most pleasurably anticipated events of the Celebration.
The Committee on Vocal Music, under the direction of Professor Edwin G. Clemence, prepared an elaborate musical programme and gave abundantly in time and efforts to perfect this most important portion of the exercises.
Rest Houses for women and children were established at various convenient places, in readiness for the crowds anticipated.
James C. Barker, M. D., and T. B. Merrin were appointed a Committee of Public Health and Comfort.
Owing to ill health, Mr. Henry O. Warner was unable to serve as Marshal, and Walter C. Hine was appointed in his stead.
The Marshal’s aides appointed for the Parade were:
From January, 1907, up to the opening day on June 15, all the committees worked arduously and unceasingly to make the Bi-Centennial a success. Less opposition and discouragement were met than are usual in such enterprises, and to the public-spirited and loyal citizens of the town belongs the credit of all this work, so triumphantly accomplished.
Therenever was a time and place, perhaps, in which a keener interest was taken in the weather than at New Milford during the days immediately preceding the Bi-Centennial Celebration. One of the most backward and inclement springs known to New England history seemed to have bequeathed all its inclemency to the summer month of June, and, on the afternoon of Friday, June 14, not only were the signs few and feeble that summer had come, but the sky was extremely threatening. The boldest prophet did not venture to predict fair weather for the following day with any approach to positiveness; and, under the besetting dread of a down-pour which would ruin the beautiful Bi-Centennial decorations already in place on “The Green,” and interfere sadly with the Bi-Centennial exercises (most of which were to be in the open air) New Milford faces wore an expression of anxiety that was piteous to see. Saturday came without rain and without clouds, however, and, better still, brought with it that light, luminous haze, which, in this part of the world, presages a spell of dry weather—an augury that, happily, was to be fulfilled. The rows of white pillars with gilded capitals (typifying the Colonial architecture) and the clusters and festoons of national colors and navy signal flags (typifying our present national greatness), which constituted the official decoration of “The Green,” assumed new splendor in this highly favorable light, while the private decorations, which had been delayed somewhat by the fear of rain, were brought to completion so rapidly that, by noon, the town was literally enveloped in flags and patriotic and Colonial bunting.
Promptly at four in the afternoon the Doxology pealed forth from the chimes of All Saints’ (played by Prof. Clemence) and was quickly taken up by the voices of the large concourse gathered on “The Green” about the band-stand, on
CHARLES N. HALL Secretary of the Bi-Centennial CelebrationCHARLES N. HALLSecretary of the Bi-Centennial CelebrationCHARLES M. BEACHChairman Committee on Exercises
which the chairmen of the Bi-Centennial committees were seated. Rev. Frank A. Johnson invoked the blessing of God upon the coming Bi-Centennial ceremonies in an impressive prayer, after which “America” was played by the band (Gartland’s of Albany) and sung by the audience. Charles N. Hall, Secretary of the General Bi-Centennial Committee, then stepped forward and delivered the following address of welcome:
“Citizens and Friends:
“For this seems the most comprehensive and fitting title by which to address such an assemblage as this; since many of you are citizens, and all of you are friends of New Milford. Citizens and friends then; to one and all; to those of you who are citizens; to those of you who were New Milford born, but have found other homes; to those of you whose forefathers were once New Milford’s children; to each and every one of you, and to all guests yet to come, the General Committee of the Bi-Centennial, speaking for this entire community, extends a most heartfelt welcome.
“But our welcome is tinged with regret; regret that these words cannot be spoken to-day by the one man that is best fitted for, most entitled to, that honor. Those of you who have worked during these months of preparation, and all who know him, will bear witness that no man living has done more for this Celebration; no man living could have greeted you more gracefully or with greater sincerity than would our honored President, Henry S. Mygatt, were he present. But though not with us in person, we know that he is so in thought; that his hopes and best wishes are with us to-day.
“It is difficult to find words fitting for an occasion like this, for no occasion like this has ever before confronted us.
“For the first time in her history, New Milford fittingly celebrates a birthday anniversary. For the first time in her history, New Milford has planned a great general home-coming of all her scattered children. For the first time, we shall see, during these four days, all our own people gathered together in a common cause: and it is not likely that any now living will ever see them so gathered again.
“This then is The Event, not merely of the years, but of the centuries; an event which must occupy a place unique and unapproached in the history of our town; and words may well fail to express the sentiments which such an occasion must inspire.
“Since that day in the year 1707, when the pioneer, John Noble, first traversed the wilderness to this place, up to this day of June, 1907, every event and circumstance, toil and danger, hardship and prosperity, peace and war, all have been but successive steps leading to this Celebration, and making it possible. And, in this Celebration, we mark not this anniversary alone, but celebrate as well all that has gone before.
“We celebrate the founders of our town; the heroic men and women who, by their toil, their courage and their faith, not only made New Milford, but helped to lay the corner-stone of this nation. Every event in this, our Celebration; this flag-raising; the splendidly impressive service of Sunday; the historic addresses, and the reception of Monday; the imposing parade of Tuesday; all were planned, not only to afford pleasure and entertainment for our guests, and to glorify the New Milford of to-day, but also to commemorate and glorify the past.
“But while we celebrate New Milford, past and present, what shall we say of the New Milford to come? Shall not the civic pride, and energy, the patriotism, that have inspired this Celebration, continue to be moving forces toward a better New Milford? Shall not some of the thousands who visit us, impressed with the attractions of our town, remain and help us to make a greater New Milford?
“New Milford has done wisely and well to inaugurate this home coming, for such home comings are vitally essential to the right life and growth and prosperity of any community.
“New Milford is proud of her history; proud of her position among the hills and towns of old Litchfield County, in this blessed commonwealth of Connecticut; proud of her business enterprise, of her schools and churches; and proud of her children, whom she welcomes home to-day.
“You are here, not as chance visitors, or strangers, but as members of one great family. We ask you to be not only with us, but of us at this time; to become, for the time being, citizens of our town, and would be glad to have you become so in fact.
“New Milford and its Celebration are yours; be at home with us; survey the attractions of our town; visit and greet old friends; enjoy the Celebration to the utmost, and then if you must leave us, take with you the kindest thoughts, and happy memories of the Bi-Centennial.”
At the close of this address, the band, playing “Auld Lang Syne,” marched to the south end of “The Green” (the chairmen of the committees, the New Milford Cadets under command of Capt. Gifford Noble, and the audience falling in behind) to the new, white, eighty-foot flag pole, which had been erected there under the supervision of Grand Marshal, Samuel R. Hill. To the strains of the “Star Spangled Banner,” Mr. Hill, assisted by Lewis W. Mosher, ran a new flag[16]up the pole, while the Cadets stood statue-like near its base. As the flag touched the peak, a cannon salute was fired by a firing squad under the direction of Samuel R. Hill, Jr. This was a signal for the playing of “We’ll Rally Round the Flag, Boys,” by the band, for the blowing of factory whistles, and the ringing of church bells; and, with this acclaim, the formal opening of the New Milford Bi-Centennial Celebration was ended.
The Loan Exhibitionin Memorial Hall was opened to the public at ten o’clock Saturday morning, several hours in advance of the formal ceremonies of welcome described above, and was kept open during the entire four days of the Celebration. It proved an agreeable surprise, not only to the guests of the town, but to the townspeople themselves, who had no idea how rich their homes were in relics of the past until they were thus brought together for this Bi-Centennial occasion. Indeed, it was pronounced by competent judges one of the most interesting collections of antiquities ever seen in the State of Connecticut. By its aid, any person possessed of the slightest imagination could easily reconstruct the every-day existence (in-doors and out-of-doors) of the ancestors, and could even divine the intellectual, moral and religious ideas and ideals which governed them. Besides the local relics associated directly with the New Milford life of yore, were a number of curiosities from remote corners of the globe, which testified to the important rôle played by natives of New Milford in earlier times as merchants, ship-owners, travellers, and missionaries.
These various richly-stored heirlooms were a source of great joy to the aged, whose observations and reminiscences, as they moved about among the show-cases, were well-nigh as fascinating as the exhibits themselves; and a means of instruction for the young, to whom most of the objects displayed appeared as strange as if they had been brought from another planet.
The finest thing about this exhibition, however, was the public spirit it exemplified. The committee in charge met scarcely a refusal from the persons to whom they applied for loans, and, once the character of the undertaking was understood, volunteers came forward in such numbers that twice the spaceafforded by the G. A. R. rooms might have been filled, had it been available.
Many of the visitors expressed regret that so remarkable a collection must be scattered so soon and a hope that New Milford would one day see its way clear to maintaining a permanent exhibition of the sort. And it would not be surprising if the ultimate outcome of this loan exhibition should be a museum of antiquities, since a large proportion of the exhibitors would gladly contribute their treasures to the common-weal, if a specially-constructed, fire-proof building should be provided for the conservation of them.
A complete list of the exhibits is given herewith:
Henry Kimlin:
1. Razor dated 1688.
2. Pair of spectacles.
Minot S. Giddings:
3. A deed to Jonathan Giddings of a tract of land on the Connecticut Reserve of Ohio, given by Elijah Boardman, Homer Boardman, David S. Boardman, Stanley Griswold, of New Milford, Ct., Elijah Wadsworth, Frederick Wolcott, Litchfield, Ct., and Zepheniah Briggs of New Fairfield, Ct. Dated 1800.
4. Razor. Portrait of Washington engraved on blade.
5. Sampler, Ruth Buck, date 1786.
6. Bible, Ruth Buck, date 1771.
7. Copy of “Washington’s Political Legacy,” 1800.
8. Copy of “Gertrude of Wyoming,” date 1809.
9. Copy of “Life of Dr. Benjamin Franklin,” by himself, date 1795.
10. “The Federal Calculator,” 1802. Samuel Giddings.
11. The Prayer Book, 1795. Ebenezer Sanford.
Fred’k E. Starr;
12. Section of Pulpit of Meeting-house, 1754.
Mrs. Arthur Caldwell:
13. Grandmother’s jewelry.
14. Pin, 1816.
15. Floral comb.
16. Candle tray and snuffer.
17. Fluid lamp.
18. Vase.
19. Bowl.
Dr. L. J. Pons:
20. Canteen, Civil War.
Lyman Caldwell:
21. Collection of arrow heads.
Wm. H. Marsh:
22. Pie platters, that the extra good pies of our grandmothers were baked in.
23. Churn. This churn is probably over a hundred years old.
24. A bottle of the Eighteenth Century.
25. A bottle of the Eighteenth Century.
26. A doll’s cradle used fifty years ago.
Fred’k Berry:
27. Dress sword and sash. Presented to Capt. F. M. Berry, by Company H, 2d Conn. Artillery.
F. A. Johnson:
28. Tea pot, buried in the War of 1812, with other valuables, to prevent its falling into the hands of the British.
29. Rifle shot, picked out of the side of a Confederate fortification at Atlanta, Ga., where they had been fired in by General Sherman’s troops.
30. French lancer’s spear head, picked up on the battlefield of Waterloo, soon after the battle.
31. Arrow given by “Dave,” one of the party of Modoc Indians who killed Gen. Canby. Secured in the Indian Territory.
32. Strip of Confederate flag, which was lowered from the Capitol at Richmond at the surrender, when the city was captured. Confederate money from Gen. Lee’s treasure chest. Captured at Appomattox.
L. T. Peet:
33. Trencher and knife, used before the Revolution.
34. Candle-stick, used by Alba Peet 150 years ago, he being a shoemaker and working evenings.
35. Rock-salt pounder, used by my grandfather, Samuel W. Peet.
Henry E. Squires:
36. Green and white coverlet. Wool raised, spun, and woven in Merryall.
37. Plaid blanket. Wool raised, spun, and woven in Merryall.
Mrs. F. A. Mallory:
38. Flowered coverlet.
Mrs. G. B. Ackley:
39. Pair of silver candle-sticks, candle snuffers and tray.
G. B. Ackley:
40. Book, 1809, specimen of penmanship.
Mrs. G. B. Ackley:
41. Bible, 1806. Almanacs, 1803 to 1814.
L. E. Peet:
42. Water Yoke. Over 100 years old.
James H. Cole:
43. Collection of papers. Deed and other papers.
Mrs. E. J. Sturges:
44. Discharge paper.
45. Old paper, 1754.
Lottie A. Waldron:
46. Sugar-bowl.
47. Pair of glass candle-sticks.
May G. Brown:
48. Portraits of Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Holman, painted in Boston in 1819 by Prof. Morse, (inventor of the telegraph) just before they sailed as members of thefirstband of missionaries to the Sandwich Islands. They were great grandparents of May G. Brown.
49. Journal of Mrs. Thomas Holman, one of the first missionaries to the Sandwich Islands in 1819. Written on board the brig Thaddeus. Mrs. Holman’s daughter was the first white child born in the Sandwich Islands, and Mrs. Holman was the first woman to go around the world. (See Nos. 50 & 114.)
50. Feather cape and wreath, red, yellow and black, worn by the native chiefs of the Sandwich Islands. Made from thousands of feathers of a rare bird, but one feather suitable being found on each. These articles were given by Kamehameha I. to the Holmans (missionaries). They are no longer made and there are few, if any, like them now in existence. They are, therefore, of great value. (See Nos. 49 & 114.)
Ruth T. Booth:
51. Casters, over 100 years old.
52. Coffee pot, over 100 years old.
53. Platter, over 100 years old.
54. Plate, over 100 years old.
55. Cup and saucer, over 100 years old.
56. Tea set, 11 pieces, 125 years old, formerly owned by my great-grandmother, Ruth T. Downes.
Harriet V. Sherman:
57. Sampler.
Mrs. Mary E. Stone:
58. Spectacles and goggles. Arrow head and bayonet.
D. C. Kilborne:
59. Lottery tickets. Sold by the first Cong’l Church Society of Bridgewater to raise money to build the church edifice.
Mrs. S. D. Woods:
60. Daily paper with the account of the funeral of George Washington. 1799.
Dr. L. J. Pons:
61. Rapier, used by Capt. Eli Booth, (1800) Milford, Ct.
62. Revolutionary sword.
63. Lantern from two-wheeled physician’s chaise, used by Dr. Myron Downs, 1830-1860.
64. Bayonet and sheath, 1812.
65. Old English dagger. About 1790.
66. Lantern.
67. First glass lantern. About 1840.
68. Dragoon’s helmet, 1775. Bearskin bush.
69. Dragoon’s flint lock pistol. 1775.
70. Old English pistol.
Mrs. George Trieschmann:
71. Lutheran Bible, 1784.
Mrs. Chas. M. Beach:
72. Tea caddy. This was made at Read’s Pottery in Lower Merryall, about the year 1780. It was part of a tea set which Mercy Sperry (who married Sylvester Wheaton) had when she went to housekeeping.
73. Invitations to assembly balls, one hundred years ago.
74. Grape shot, picked up on the battlefield of Waterloo, about the year 1820, by Rev. Nathaniel S. Wheaton, D. D.
75. Half-cent, American coin, 100 years old.
76. Brazilian dump, coin worth about 2½ cents.
77. Powder horn taken from the dead body of an Indian by Capt. Theophilus Baldwin, a volunteer in the French and Indian Wars, while Baldwin was on a scouting party. The Indian shot at him from ambush, and missed. Theophilus did not miss.
Mrs. H. H. Hartwell:
78. Flint lock gun. Carried through Revolution.
79. Gun. Carried by a French officer in the Revolutionary War. Afterwards changed from a flint lock to a percussion lock.
80. Cartridge belt and cartridges, used in Revolutionary War.
81. Autograph bond of Roger Sherman.
82. Brigade orders, Gen. Sedgwick.
83. Two commissions, Joseph Hartwell. As ensign. As lieutenant.
Geo. N. Canfield:
84. Cane, made from the hull of Old Ironsides. Inscription on head: “From the hull of the Constitution, first built in 1798, and dear to Americans for having successfully fought the Java, Guerrierre, Cyane, and Levant, the bombardment of Tripoli in 1812, and alsofor her miraculous escape from the British Squadron. Presented to R. E. Canfield by S. Oaks, Esq., U. S. N.”
Dr. G. Bragaw:
85. Flint lock gun with bayonet.
Edward H. Beach:
86. Indian battle axe.
Mrs. E. H. Austin:
87. War club, Sandwich Islands. Made from root of a tree.
88. Quilt, hand spun and woven.
Mrs. Hannah Fuller Austin:
89. Commission of Abraham Fuller. He was afterward Captain of Connecticut troops, most of his men being from Kent.
E. H. Austin:
90. Pewter flagon. Supposed to be 150 years old. Belonged to Mills family of Kent. Authentic record of age for more than 100 years. It was an old flagon when this record began.
91. English army belt clasps. Picked up on the field of Waterloo a few days after the battle. Forty-second Somerset.
Mrs. Thomas Austin:
92. Britannia tea pot. More than 100 years old.
A. H. Barlow:
93. An old deed, given to William Barnes of Haddam, by Samuel Barnes in 1734. Also some of the Continental money.
94. Daguerreotype, Gaylord’s Bridge.
Mrs. A. H. Barlow:
95. Embroidered apron, 65 years old.
96. Collection of handkerchiefs and chemisette, over 65 years old.
97. Lace bonnet, worn in 1868.
98. Stockings knit by Mrs. Joseph Marsh for her eldest daughter, Mrs. Laura Bailey, and worn by each of her six children.
A. H. Barlow:
99. One spoon of a set given to the grandmother of A. H. Barlow as part of her “setting out.” Made of silver dollars in 1799.
Mrs. A. H. Barlow:
100. Spoon, 1830.
101. Old jewelry, 2 lockets and 3 pins. Tortoise shell combs.
102. Three old lace veils.
Mrs. Edward Dakin:
103. Tea canister. Belonged to my great-grandmother, and used by her during her lifetime. Purchased in the year 1770.
Marion D. Underhill:
104. Netted lace, made from flax, raised by my great-great-grandfather on Kent Mountain; spun by my great-great-grandmother; and netted by my great-great-aunt, over eighty years ago.
Miss E. A. Bailey:
105. Cane, brought from England. Has been in the Bailey family for 209 years.
Mrs. A. B. Giddings:
106. Tea pot, brought to New Milford in 1707 by Zachariah Ferriss. Was the only tea pot in town.
107. Toddy tumbler and vinegar cruet, one hundred and fifty years old.
Harriet A. Taylor Lee:
108. Coat worn by Wm. Taylor as Colonel of Militia, 1789.
109. Colonel Wm. Taylor’s duelling pistols, 1789.
Mrs. Chas. Taylor:
110. Pewter porringer, 200 years old.
111. Dr. George Taylor’s wedding hat, 1825. (See No. 255.)
112. Pewter candle-stick, very old.
Bessie I. Brown:
113. Chinese chest, very old.
114. Calabash, very old. Used for carrying water. (Wicker work encloses a gourd.) This calabash and the Chinese chest were presents received in 1852 fromChina by the Holmans, missionaries to the Sandwich Islands. (See Nos. 49 & 50.)
Chas. N. Hall:
115.New England Courant, 1723. Published by Benjamin Franklin.
Elsie Cummings:
116. Basket, used in Miss Cummings’ family 125 years ago.
Mrs. Eli Clark:
117. Ink stand and sand well. Has been in my family for 125 years.
Mrs. P. E. Clark:
118. Hair brush, made by my grandmother, Lucinda Young, when a girl 12 years old, 96 years ago.
119. A history, 108 years old, previously owned by Dr. Silas Castle of Roxbury, Conn., my great-grandfather.
120. Iron mortar and pestle.
121. Wooden water bottle.
Elsie Cummings:
122. Foot stove.
Mrs. P. E. Clark:
123. Barrel.
Mrs. Eli Clark:
124. Warming pan.
Mrs. Carlos Merwin:
125. Plate, Spanish bull fight, 1795.
126. Brittania tea pot, 75 years old, “Muskmelon” pattern.
Fred C. Merwin:
127. Constitution of Union Library, New Milford, 1796, the first in town. Sec. Elisha Bostwick, ancestor of owner.
Mrs. Carlos Merwin:
128. Bead bag, 72 years old, hand made.
129. Sampler, 76 years old.
130. Knapsack.
131. Bell that rang the “Minute Men” in, used by David Merwin in Merryall.
132. Musket.
133. Plate, 75 years old.
Mrs. A. G. Barnes:
134. Sugar-bowl, 200 years old.
135. Cup and saucer, 150 years old.
136. Cup and saucer, 75 years old.
Mrs. C. T. Staples:
137. Seal of Wm. Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, public and private seal.
138.London Post, (1738).
139. Play bills.
140. Doll, 50 years old.
F. E. Baldwin:
141. Punch tumbler, from Isaac Stone Tavern, Park Lane.
142. Ancient lantern.
143. Powder horn, taken by Hezekiah Baldwin from body of Indian shot by him near Lake George in French and Indian War, about 1756.
144. Pitch pipe, used by Jeremiah Baldwin in giving the key to choir of Congregational Church, New Milford.
F. E. Baldwin:
145. Grain fan, fanning-mill of “Ye Olden Time.”
146. Foot stove.
147. Warming pan.
148. Candle mould.
Frank H. Beach:
149.Crêpecloth flowers (framed).
Mrs. Wm. E. Stone:
150. Masonic apron.
Flora G. Stillson:
151. “New England Primer,” 150 years old.
Henry Harmon Noble:
152. Two discourses delivered at New Milford, December 14, 1800, by Rev. Stanley Griswold, it being the Sabbath next after the decease of Rev. Nathaniel Taylor.
Homer Wanzer:
153. Receipts (from 1796 to 1800).
Mary Bostwick Kelly:
154. Silver sugar tongs and six tablespoons. Sixteen teaspoons which belonged to Elisha and Betty Bostwick; over 100 years old.
Mrs. W. D. Black:
155. Portrait, Sally Northrop. Born June, 1776; died December, 1876.
Miss J. L. Gaylord:
156. Hand-made counterpane.
Mary Bostwick Kelly:
157. Portrait, Col. Elisha Bostwick, born Dec. 17, 1748.
158. Portrait, Betty Ferris Bostwick, born in 1768.
159. Portrait, Jared Bostwick, born May 24, 1787.
160. Portrait, Betsy Ann Bostwick, born July 11, 1792.
161. Picture, “The Old Bostwick Homestead.” Has been in the family for 200 years.
162. Framed contract for house (1780). Cap and mitts worn by Elisha Bostwick, when he was baptized, in the year 1749.
163. Watch. Bull’s-eye watch, carried by Colonel Elisha Bostwick through the Revolution.
164. Watch carried by Jared Bostwick. Over 100 years old.
Fred C. Merwin:
165. Indian hatchet and arrow-head, found on the farm of the late David Merwin, a “Minute Man.”
Mary Bostwick Kelly:
166. Shawl, Betty Ferris Bostwick; 125 years.
167. Jackknife.
Mabel Marsh:
168. Ancient tea pot. Was brought over from Ireland about 100 years ago. At one time owned by Mrs. Mabel Baldwin.
Mrs. George Marsh:
169. Old-fashioned shade glasses. Worn by Col. Adolphus Hallock nearly 100 years ago, when driving cattle, travelling on foot and horseback from Ohio to New Milford.
Dr. B. E. Bostwick:
170. Old will and inventory, 1739.
171. Deed, 1720.
172. Certificate, survey by Roger Sherman, 1748.
J. B. Merwin:
173. Pine-tree shillings, 1652.
174. Hour-glass, used in the Revolution.
175. Six books, 1753, 1771, 1784, 1800, and 1805. New England Primer.
Mrs. Elizabeth Wells:
176. Bandanna handkerchief, owned by John Turrill, a soldier of the Revolution.
177. Parchment and bobbins, used by Roger Sherman’s mother in lace-making.
Miss Catherine Wells:
178. Continental money.
Mrs. Elizabeth Wells:
179. Linen apron, 100 years old.
Miss Catherine Wells:
180. Paper dolls, 40 years old.
181. Linen skirt, 46 years old, hand-made.
Mrs. John D. Clark:
182. Candle stand, 100 years old.
183. Two sets silver spoons, one set 125 years old, the other set 100 years old.
184. After-dinner coffee cup, 125 years old.
185. Sugar-bowl with lid, 125 years old. Sugar-bowl without lid, 100 years old.
186. Work basket, over 100 years old.
187. Deed of land in New Milford, 117 years old. Deed of land on Long Mountain, 172 years old. Equation table, showing how much a clock should be faster or slower than a sun-dial, or the sun on the meridian.
George Thatcher:
188. Two knives and a fork. George Thatcher’s grandfather, Michel Gould, used these 140 years ago.
189. Pocketbook, 1790.
Mrs. Chas. Taylor:
190. Fireplace griddle; fireplace waffle iron; skillet for baking hoe cake (coals put underneath and on top); fireplace gridiron; fireplace chop broiler; fireplace toaster; fireplace baking-kitchen; fireplace iron fork; fireplace frying-pan; fireplace roasting-kitchen, 100 years old. These and the other fireplace fittings were so grouped as to form a most realistic picture of the fireplace of ye olden time.
191. Old foot stove.
E. J. Sturges:
192. Rapier, carried by Ebenezer Perry, of Col. Andrew Burr’s regiment, of Fairfield, at the fall of Louisburg, June 17, 1745.
193. Portrait, Mrs. Mary Sturges, who witnessed the burning of her home in Fairfield, by the British, July 9, 1779.
Minot S. Giddings:
194. Silver spoon. A spoon or a set of spoons, made from silver dollars, was presented by Mary (Baldwin) Giddings to each of her children, with her initials engraved on them. Jonathan Giddings and Mary Baldwin were married Jan. 2, 1766.
W. O. Corning:
195. Bassoon, over 100 years old.
196. Serpent, over 100 years old.
Mrs. Salmon Couch:
197. Flannel dress goods, 1844, colored and woven by Mrs. Sarah Peet and Mrs. Goodsell.
198. Tin-baker, over 100 years old.
Mrs. F. M. Williams:
199. Pewter tankard, 100 years old.