THE LIBRARY

Cadets and officers have free access to the library, which comprises over 95,000 books, maps, and manuscripts. The collection contains substantially all standard books on the subjects taught in the Academy and is especially complete in military subjects. Its card catalogues (about 338,000 cards) are arranged with the special object of saving the time of cadets. The library is open on week-days from 8A.M.to 7:30P.M.; Saturdays from 8A.M.to 9:30P.M.; on Sundays and Holidays from 2 to 6P.M.

(A. O., M. A., July, ’16.)

Note.—The selection of the Superintendents of the Military Academy was confined to the Corps of Engineers from the establishment of the Institution, March 16, 1802, till the passage of the law of July 13, 1866, which opened it to the entire Army. By the Act of June 12, 1858, the local rank of Colonel was conferred upon the Superintendent.

Note.—The selection of the Superintendents of the Military Academy was confined to the Corps of Engineers from the establishment of the Institution, March 16, 1802, till the passage of the law of July 13, 1866, which opened it to the entire Army. By the Act of June 12, 1858, the local rank of Colonel was conferred upon the Superintendent.

FOOTNOTES:1Fort Clinton was originally named Fort Arnold in honor of Benedict Arnold, but after his defection its name was changed. It stood in the N. E. corner of the Plain at West Point.2Fort Putnam was named for Colonel Rufus Putnam whose regiment, the Fifth Massachusetts, commenced it and did much toward putting it in shape.3The Sterling Iron Works are still in operation at Sterlington, N. Y., on the Erie R. R., where the remains of the Revolutionary furnace are still standing.4The Robinson House was situated on the eastern shore of the Hudson about two miles below West Point. It was built in 1750 by Beverly Robinson, a man of note and wealth. He had been a personal friend of Washington until the Revolution separated them, when he went to New York and raised a regiment known as the “Loyal American” for service under the British. He assisted Arnold and André in their negotiations. At the close of the Revolution, Robinson went to England. This house was destroyed by fire, March 17, 1892.5“Fess” means a complete failure at a recitation. It is an abbreviation of “confess.”6In the Philippine Department the preliminary examination will be held between December 1st and December 15th.7The board before which a candidate is directed to appear will be the one convened at the place nearest or most convenient to his home, or to the school at which he is in regular attendance at the time of appointment.8Major Williams resigned June 20, 1803, on a point of command, and pending its settlement until April 19, 1805, when he again returned to service as Chief Engineer, no permanent Superintendent of the Military Academy was appointed, the command devolving upon the senior officer of the Corps of Engineers present for duty.9Bvt. Major P. G. T. Beauregard, Corps of Engineers, by order of John B. Floyd, Secretary of War, relieved Colonel Delafield, Jan. 23, 1861, from the superintendency of the Military Academy, but was himself displaced five days later, Jan. 28, 1861, by direction of the succeeding Secretary of War, Joseph Holt, the command again devolving upon Colonel Delafield.

1Fort Clinton was originally named Fort Arnold in honor of Benedict Arnold, but after his defection its name was changed. It stood in the N. E. corner of the Plain at West Point.

1Fort Clinton was originally named Fort Arnold in honor of Benedict Arnold, but after his defection its name was changed. It stood in the N. E. corner of the Plain at West Point.

2Fort Putnam was named for Colonel Rufus Putnam whose regiment, the Fifth Massachusetts, commenced it and did much toward putting it in shape.

2Fort Putnam was named for Colonel Rufus Putnam whose regiment, the Fifth Massachusetts, commenced it and did much toward putting it in shape.

3The Sterling Iron Works are still in operation at Sterlington, N. Y., on the Erie R. R., where the remains of the Revolutionary furnace are still standing.

3The Sterling Iron Works are still in operation at Sterlington, N. Y., on the Erie R. R., where the remains of the Revolutionary furnace are still standing.

4The Robinson House was situated on the eastern shore of the Hudson about two miles below West Point. It was built in 1750 by Beverly Robinson, a man of note and wealth. He had been a personal friend of Washington until the Revolution separated them, when he went to New York and raised a regiment known as the “Loyal American” for service under the British. He assisted Arnold and André in their negotiations. At the close of the Revolution, Robinson went to England. This house was destroyed by fire, March 17, 1892.

4The Robinson House was situated on the eastern shore of the Hudson about two miles below West Point. It was built in 1750 by Beverly Robinson, a man of note and wealth. He had been a personal friend of Washington until the Revolution separated them, when he went to New York and raised a regiment known as the “Loyal American” for service under the British. He assisted Arnold and André in their negotiations. At the close of the Revolution, Robinson went to England. This house was destroyed by fire, March 17, 1892.

5“Fess” means a complete failure at a recitation. It is an abbreviation of “confess.”

5“Fess” means a complete failure at a recitation. It is an abbreviation of “confess.”

6In the Philippine Department the preliminary examination will be held between December 1st and December 15th.

6In the Philippine Department the preliminary examination will be held between December 1st and December 15th.

7The board before which a candidate is directed to appear will be the one convened at the place nearest or most convenient to his home, or to the school at which he is in regular attendance at the time of appointment.

7The board before which a candidate is directed to appear will be the one convened at the place nearest or most convenient to his home, or to the school at which he is in regular attendance at the time of appointment.

8Major Williams resigned June 20, 1803, on a point of command, and pending its settlement until April 19, 1805, when he again returned to service as Chief Engineer, no permanent Superintendent of the Military Academy was appointed, the command devolving upon the senior officer of the Corps of Engineers present for duty.

8Major Williams resigned June 20, 1803, on a point of command, and pending its settlement until April 19, 1805, when he again returned to service as Chief Engineer, no permanent Superintendent of the Military Academy was appointed, the command devolving upon the senior officer of the Corps of Engineers present for duty.

9Bvt. Major P. G. T. Beauregard, Corps of Engineers, by order of John B. Floyd, Secretary of War, relieved Colonel Delafield, Jan. 23, 1861, from the superintendency of the Military Academy, but was himself displaced five days later, Jan. 28, 1861, by direction of the succeeding Secretary of War, Joseph Holt, the command again devolving upon Colonel Delafield.

9Bvt. Major P. G. T. Beauregard, Corps of Engineers, by order of John B. Floyd, Secretary of War, relieved Colonel Delafield, Jan. 23, 1861, from the superintendency of the Military Academy, but was himself displaced five days later, Jan. 28, 1861, by direction of the succeeding Secretary of War, Joseph Holt, the command again devolving upon Colonel Delafield.

Transcriber’s Note:TOC entry “VIII.—Growing Muscles 174” changed to read “VIII.—Growing Muscles 194” to match actual page.Obvious printer errors corrected silently.Inconsistent spelling and hyphenation are as in the original.

TOC entry “VIII.—Growing Muscles 174” changed to read “VIII.—Growing Muscles 194” to match actual page.

Obvious printer errors corrected silently.

Inconsistent spelling and hyphenation are as in the original.


Back to IndexNext