Thelegislature was this year occupied with many exciting subjects; especially the state of Ireland, then agitated by the proceedings on Mr. O’Connell’s trial; restrictions on labour in factories; and the Dissenters’ Chapel Bill. The financial measures of the year were likewise very important; including, as they did, the reduction of the Three-and-half per Cents., and the passing of the Bank Restriction Act—an act, the wisdom of which is yet to be determined. Mr. Villiers’s annual motion for repeal of the Corn Laws was negatived by 328 to 124. Consols in October reached 100⅞, and averaged throughout the year, 99; wheat averaged 51s. 3d.
February16—TheOmbersley Labourers’ Friendly Society, for granting allotments in that parish, set on foot by the Hon. and Rev. W. W. C. Talbot.
April12—TheWorcestershire Labourers’ Friendly Societyformed at an influential meeting of landowners and farmers at the Shire Hall, over which Lord Lyttelton presided. The object of the society was to ameliorate the condition and standing of the agricultural labourers, by giving them allotments.
July29—A silver tankard, weighing fifty ounces, presented to T. C. Hornyold, Esq., by his tenantry, at their audit dinner.
October5—Great festivities at Eardiston, on Sir William Smith attaining his majority.
December1—The Lord Bishop of the Diocese, in delivering an ordination charge, expressed very decidedly his disapproval of Tractarianism and the revival of obsolete customs in the Church, such as preaching in the surplice.
December28—An illicit still, which had been for some time quietly at work in Worcester, discovered and seized by the police.
Local Act—To alter and extend the provisions of the Severn Improvement Act.
Speculationand wild schemes, such as England had not seen since the hey-day of South Sea projects,signalised the earlier part of the year. The railway mania, indeed, continued till November; and then came a sudden collapse, of which it is only to be wondered that its effects were not more serious and lasting. In Parliament, the most important measures were the re-imposition of the Income Tax, with an amended tariff, and the increase of the Maynooth Grant from £9,000 to £26,360 per annum, henceforth to be paid out of the Consolidated Fund, instead of being an annual Parliamentary grant. A large number of petitions were presented against the measure, but the second reading was carried by 323 to 176. Consols, which stood at 100â… in January, sunk in December to 94â…; wheat averaged 50s. 10d.
April19—In the division on the second reading of the Maynooth Grant Bill, when ministers had a majority in favour of the Bill of 147 in a House of 503, Mr. Barneby, Mr. Godson, Mr. J. S. Pakington, Sir Thomas Wilde, and Sir Thomas Winnington, voted with the majority; and Mr. F. W. Knight and Mr. J. A. Taylor with the minority. General Lygon, Lord Marcus Hill, Mr. Borthwick, and Mr. Benbow were absent.
May24—Festivities at Hewell, continuing during several days, to celebrate the attainment of Mr. Robert Clive’s majority. Several dinners in the tennis court, dancing parties among the labourers, treats to the school children, &c.
July3—Mr. Pierpoint brought forward a motion, at the meeting of the Worcester Turnpike Trustees, for an amalgamation of the different districts, so as to enable the poorer roads to get out of debt. This was opposed by the gentlemen who lived in the more lightly taxed districts, and lost on a division by 18 to 10.
August11—The first Worcester regatta.
August30—A fearful collision occurred at the Defford station; first in a luggage train dashing against another that was being moved to a siding, and then in the down train dashing into the wreck of the luggage train, and becoming itself a mass of confusion. Three passengers lost their lives, and several others were injured; one engine was smashed, and several carriages were set on fire. The coroner’s jury laid a deodand of £1,500 upon the engine, becausethere appeared to have been much negligence on the part of the officials.
November7—A brick maker, named Humphrey Willis, having become intoxicated, wandered on to the railway at Stoke Prior, and was killed by the night mail train.
December25—Abberley Hall, the residence of Mrs. Moilliett, destroyed by fire.
Local Acts—The Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway Act. To enable the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway Company to make a branch at Stoke Prior, and for other purposes. To make and maintain a road from Stanford bridge to Ham bridge, Clifton-on-Teme.
Sir Robert Peelhaving, from the failure of the potato crop and the imminence of famine, become convinced that the Corn Laws could no longer be maintained, resigned office in December, 1845, and resumed it again for the purpose of carrying Free Trade measures when Lord John Russell had failed to form a Government. His measure for a gradual reduction of the duties on corn was ordered to go into committee, after twelve nights’ debate, by a majority of 337 to 240. After the settlement of the new commercial policy, the Government was defeated by a union of the Whigs and Protectionists, in a proposal to carry a bill for the repression of outrage in Ireland; and this was followed by Sir Robert Peel’s retirement from office, which had for some time been foreseen as unavoidable. Lord John Russell then became Premier. Consols averaged 95½; wheat, 54s. 8d.
January13—St. Matthias’ Church, Malvern Link, in the parish of Leigh, consecrated by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese. £130 were collected after a sermon by his lordship. The total cost was £1,700, and it will seat 350 persons.
February27—In the first division on Sir Robert Peel’s Free Trade measures, the majority included Mr. Benbow, Hon. R. Clive, Viscount Eastnor, Mr. R. Godson, Lord Marcus Hill, Mr. RobertScott, Sir Thomas Wilde, and Sir Thomas E. Winnnington. Mr. Borthwick, Mr. F. W. Knight, General Lygon, Mr. Pakington, Mr. R. Spooner, and Mr. J. A. Taylor voted with the minority.
March21—The Queen Dowager took her final leave of Witley Court.
May11—The Worcester New Gas Company’s Bill went into committee. The Marquis of Granby, as chairman, suggested an amicable arrangement between the New and Old Companies. The committee accordingly adjourned for two days, and an agreement was then effected, principally by the zealous endeavours of Sir Thomas Wilde. The New Company consented to become purchasers of the Old Company’s plant, works, and stock at a valuation by arbitrators, and to pay £1,000 over and above the valuation, but to give nothing for “goodwill;†this being the point which had been the principal difficulty in the way of an arrangement.
July3—Blowing-up of the Droitwich Patent Salt Company’s Works by the sudden explosion of the steam pipes. Two men named Carter, father and son, were so severely scalded that they died in a few hours after the accident.
August4—First meeting of the Worcestershire Archery Society at Strensham Court. The Dowager Lady Winnington was Lady Paramount. The first prizes were won by Miss Clive and Miss Marion Bearcroft, Captain Clowes and J. H. Galton, Esq.
August21—The Catholic Church at Hanley opened. A sermon preached on the occasion by Dr. Wiseman.
December26—The last number of theWorcestershire Guardianpublished, the interest of the paper being afterwards identified with theWorcester Journal. It was one of the many Tory papers started by influential parties in London, during the years 1833 and 1834, for the purpose of regaining the power which the Conservative party lost in the Reform Bill agitation. It fought the battles of the party with much fidelity; and during the years in which Mr. George Hyde was editor, its attacks upon the Liberals were distinguished by a good deal of smartness and ability, though too highly seasoned with personality.
Local Acts—For paving, cleansing, and improving the town of Bromsgrove; Worcester New Gas Company’s Act; Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway Amendment Act; Severn Navigation Commissioners’ Amendment Act; for making a railway from the Birmingham and Gloucester line at Kingsnorton to Halesowen; Birmingham, Wolverhampton, and Dudley Railway Act.
Theterrible condition of Ireland, and the decimation of its inhabitants by famine, occupied the greater share of the attention of Parliament. The Corn and Navigation Laws were entirely suspended until towards the close of the year; in spite of which, the average price of wheat in May was 100s. 5d. The issuing of the Minutes of the Council on Education, which have since been acted upon, and the increase of the grant to £100,000 per annum for the purpose of carrying them into effect, may be regarded as the most important measure of the year. Parliament was dissolved in July, and the elections tended to confirm the predominance of Free Trade principles. Parliament met again on the 18th November. Consols averaged 87; wheat, 69s. 9d.
January26—An elegant silver salver, with appropriate inscription, presented to the Rev. Thomas Pearson by the honorary members of the Worcestershire Friendly Institution, in testimony of the value of the services by which, as chairman of the board of directors, he had so greatly increased the efficiency and usefulness of the society.
February4—A massive silver tureen and four corner dishes presented to Captain Candler on his retirement from the mastership of the fox hounds—which he had held for ten years—at a splendid banquet given at the Star, Lord Lyttelton in the chair.
April—Petitions presented from various of the Dissenting bodies throughout the county against the new Educational Minutes of the Privy Council.
April22—The first County Court held in Worcestershire, under the presidency of Benjamin Parham, Esq., then recently appointed the Judge of the Worcester District.
August6—Shelsley Beauchamp Church reopened, after some costly alterations. The Rev. T. L. Claughton preached on the occasion, and £566 were collected; Lord Ward being a donor of £500.
August6—An engine running off the rails on the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway at Kingsnorton, the driver, named John Warburton, was dashed to pieces.
August16—The allottees took possession of the O’Connorite Lowbands settlement at Redmarley. The National Land Scheme,under which this estate, with others in different parts of the country, was purchased, set out into lots, and divided to the few drawers of prizes in a lottery to which thousands of others had subscribed, was one of the hugest delusions to which the working men of this country ever lent themselves under demagogue leadership. They allowed themselves to be persuaded, not only that to leave their manual handicraft and become squatters on an acre or two of ground would be the climax of independence and happiness, but that by some legerdemain of compound interest, their money and estates would be so reproductive that all the subscribers would in a few years get allotments, which, being freehold, would give them immense political power, and be the regeneration of the land. The fortunate allottees soon found that they did not hold the fee simple of their acres, but were called upon by O’Connor to pay a large rent, and being unaccustomed to husbandry were speedily reduced to the condition of ruined paupers, subsistent on the charity of the farmers among whom they were located. The affairs of the company are now being wound up under an Act of Parliament.
August17—A Provincial Grand Lodge of Freemasons established in the county. Dr. Roden of Kidderminster was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Worcestershire.
August17—Grand Bazaar in Mr. J. H. H. Foley’s grounds at Prestwood, in aid of the funds of the Stourbridge Mechanics’ Institute. It continued open for three days, and realised £1,117.
September14—At the annual assembly of the Queen’s Own Yeomanry Cavalry, the portrait of the gallant Colonel of the regiment, which had been purchased by a general subscription of the officers and privates, and painted by Pickersgill, R.A., was presented to Lady Harriett Clive in the Shire Hall, Worcester. The pleasing duty of presentation was performed by Major Martin, as senior officer, and Colonel Clive acknowledged the compliment at length.
October7—A meeting held at Dee’s Hotel, Birmingham, to take steps for the establishment of aWorcester Diocesan Training School. The Right Rev. The Lord Bishop took the chair. The resolutions were moved by Lord Lyttelton, Archdeacon Spooner, Viscount Lifford, and Sir John Pakington, Bart., M.P., and a large sum was subscribed upon the spot. The first stone of the new school was laid by Sir John Pakington, October 10, 1850.
Local Acts—For rating, to the relief of the poor, the owners instead of the occupiers of certain property in the parishes of Kingsnorton, Northfield, and Beoley.
Thisyear is to be gratefully remembered on account of the happy escape which our country had from the confusion and revolution which raged over the ill-governed kingdoms of the continent. A proposal of Government to increase the Income Tax was defeated by the general expression of popular disapprobation. Consols averaged 85; wheat, 50s. 6d.
February12—On the second reading of the Jewish Disabilities Bill, J. H. H. Foley, Esq., O. Ricardo, Esq., and Lord M. Hill voted in the majority for their removal—and R. Godson, Esq., T. J. Ireland, Esq., Hon. General Lygon, Sir J. S. Pakington, Bart., F. Rufford, Esq., Captain Rushout, and Sir H. Willoughby in the minority.
February—The Corn Exchange dispute now raged in Worcester, being made in great measure a question of politics; the Protectionists supporting the proposal to build a new exchange in Angel Street, and the Free Traders insisting on the old site, from which they contended it could not be removed without much injustice to the shopkeepers and owners of property in the Corn Market. The Mayor, Mr. Webb, made many strenuous efforts to effect an amicable arrangement between the parties, but without success; and the silly result was, that instead of uniting the funds to build a handsome hall that would have been a credit to the city, two were built. The erection in Angel Street entailed great loss upon the subscribers; and the handsome room in the Corn Market, though left without many embellishments which had been intended to be added, was a ruinous affair both to the shareholders and the contractor. As the agriculturists all steadfastly attended the Angel Street room, the one in the Corn Market was at last obliged to be closed as a corn exchange, and was sold under the Joint Stock Company’s Winding-up Act for £1,710—the price to the shareholders being upwards of £4,000. It is now transformed into a very handsome Music Hall.
April22—The Worcestershire Agricultural Protection Society dissolved itself, and voted its funds in hand, amounting to £500, towards the erection of the Angel Street Corn Exchange. The Messrs. Dent, with Mr. Francis Hooper and Mr. Lucy, protested against the appropriation of the money to the building of the Angel Street Corn Exchange.
June19—Sir John Pakington moved an amendment on Lord John Russell’s plan for gradually reducing the duties on colonial sugar, and was only defeated by a majority of 15—260 members voting with ministers, and 245 with Sir John Pakington. Mr. Benbow, Mr. Godson, Viscount Mandeville, Mr. Rufford, Captain Rushout, Sir H. Willoughby, and Sir J. Pakington voted in the minority, and Mr. J. H. H. Foley, Mr. O. Ricardo, and Lord M. Hill with the majority.
July31—Several Worcester theatrical amateurs performed Sheridan Knowles’sHunchbackwith great success and excellence of acting. The proceeds of this and another night’s performance were devoted to the establishment of a gloving school.
August—The British Archæological Association, under the presidency of Lord Albert Conyngham, held their annual congress in Worcester. They were received by the Mayor and Corporation—held morning and evening sederunts, at which papers were read and antiquities exhibited—visited Sudeley Castle and other places of interest in the neighbourhood—unrolled a mummy at the County Courts, &c. The meeting was concluded by asoiréeat the Guildhall, given by Lord and Lady Conyngham, at which Mr. Silk Buckingham delivered a lecture on Thebes, &c.
September—After a lapse of ten years anExhibition of Paintingswas again opened in Worcester, and proved upon the whole very successful. The catalogue numbered 200 pictures, amongst which were Constable’s “Salisbury Cathedral,†and works by Etty, Sidney Cooper, Müller, &c.
Local Acts—Worcester New Gas Company’s Amendment Act; to authorise the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway to raise a further sum of money; to authorise an alteration in the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway; to enable the Worcester Turnpike Trustees to make alterations in roads, &c.
Theextreme distress in Ireland caused by the continuance of the potato blight—the repeal of the Navigation Laws, carried on second reading by 266 to 210—and the admission of Jews to Parliament, refused by the Lords—were the chief topics of Parliamentary discussion. Consols averaged 92½; wheat, 44s. 3d.
February3—Mdlle. Jenny Lind gave a concert in the College Hall, Worcester, in aid of the funds of the Infirmary, to compensate for the disappointment which had been felt by her non-appearance at the Festival in the previous year. The band of the 5th Dragoon Guards and the Worcester Harmonic Society took part in the concert. Thirteen hundred persons attended. The total receipts were £1,100, and £840 were cleared for the Infirmary.
April—TheWorcester Madrigal Society, recently formed, gave their first concert. This society, which executes the quaint music of the old madrigalists in excellent style, has already extended its fame far beyond the limits of the “faithful city.â€
June29—The cholera broke out in Worcester, and continued fitfully to seize upon its victims till the middle of October, when it altogether disappeared. There were altogether eighty-nine cases, out of which forty-three were fatal. The expenses of the Cholera Hospital amounted to £832. Dr. Stevens’s saline treatment, only partially put in practice there, seemed to be successful, so far as opportunity was allowed for its trial.
August—The seventeenth anniversary of the Provincial Surgical and Medical Association was this year held at Worcester—Dr. Hastings, the founder of the association, being president. Many interesting discussions, on topics connected with medical science and the status of the profession, took place, and valuable papers were read at the different sittings. The meeting closed with a dinner at the Guildhall, at which the principal county gentlemen attended.
September21—St. Peter’s Church, Cookley, consecrated. William Hancocks, Esq., was the principal contributor to the expense of this handsome building, which cost some £3,400, and will accommodate upwards of 400 persons.
November15—This day was very generally and religiously observed throughout the county as one of thanksgiving for the abatement of the cholera in the land.
December10—Rejoicings at Prestwood, Stourbridge, Stewponey, &c., in celebration of Mr. Henry Wentworth Foley’s coming of age.
Local Act—For better assessing the poor rates on small tenements in Kidderminster.
Beauchamp, Earl—Seat, Madresfield Court. William Lygon, Esq., having for some years represented the county in Parliament, was elevated to the peerage by the title of Baron Beauchamp of Powyke Court, Worcestershire, 26 February, 1806, and created Viscount Elmley and Earl Beauchamp 1 December, 1815. He assumed the surname and arms of Pyndar, instead of those of Lygon, in October, 1813. He married Catherine, only daughter of James Denn, Esq., and had issue eight children. His lordship died 21 October, 1816, and was succeeded by his eldest son, William Beauchamp, who for some years acted as Chairman of Quarter Sessions, and represented the county from 1806. At his decease, unmarried, May, 1823, the honours devolved upon his brother,John Reginald, the present Earl. He married, first, 14 March, 1814, Charlotte, only daughter of the first Earl of Clonmel, who died 26 April, 1846; and, secondly, 1851, the third daughter of the Baroness Braye, and relict of Henry Murray, Esq. Is patron of four livings.
Coventry, Earl of—Seat, Croome Court; created, 1697. George William, sixth Earl, died 1809, and was succeeded by George William, the seventh Earl, Recorder of Worcester and High Steward of Tewkesbury, who died 1831, and was succeeded by George William, eighth Earl, Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum of the county of Worcester. He married, first, 16 January, 1808, Emma Susanna, second daughter of William, first Earl of Beauchamp, and had issue George William, Viscount Deerhurst, who married Harriett Anne, daughter of Sir Charles Cockerell, Bart., and died in November, 1838, leaving one son, the present Earl, and one daughter. The eighth Earldied May, 1843, when the title devolved on his grandson, who was born 9 May, 1838, and is, consequently, at present a minor. Is patron of five livings.
Lyttelton, Lord, Baron of Frankley, county of Worcester—Seat, Hagley Park. William Henry, Governor of Carolina county, Jamaica, &c., was created Baron, in Great Britain, 1794, the title having expired with his nephew, Thomas, the second Lord Lyttelton (the probable author of theLetters of Junius), who died November, 1779. William Henry, Lord Lyttelton, died 14 September, 1808, and was succeeded by his eldest son, George Fulke; at whose decease, unmarried, 12 November, 1828, the title devolved on his brother by a second marriage, William Henry, third Baron. He married, 4 March, 1813, Lady Sarah Spencer, eldest daughter of the second Earl Spencer. His lordship died 30 April, 1827. He represented the county in Parliament from 1807 to 1820, during which time he was the consistent supporter of Liberal measures, and to him we are indebted for the extinction of state lotteries. He was a fluent and argumentative speaker. He was the warm friend of literary and educational institutions in the county. His lordship was succeeded by his eldest son,George William, the present peer. The present Lord Lyttelton was born 31 March, 1817; he married, 25 July, 1839, Mary, daughter of the late Sir Stephen Glynne, Bart. Is patron of three livings.
Foley, Baron, of Kidderminster; created, 1776. Thomas Foley, Esq., M.P. for the county of Worcester, was elevated to the peerage 1711, but his son died unmarried, and the barony then expired. Thomas Foley, Esq., of Witley Court, his cousin, was made Baron Foley, 20 May, 1776. Thomas, the third Baron, married, 18 August, 1806, Lady Cecilia Fitzgerald, fifth daughter of the second Duke of Leinster, and had issue four sons and four daughters. He was Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum of the county of Worcester, and extremely popular with all classes of the inhabitants. He died 16 April, 1833, and was succeeded by his son,Thomas Henry, the present peer, who was born 11 December, 1808, and married, 1849, the eldest daughter of the thirteenth Duke of Norfolk—has been Captain of the corps of the Gentlemen Pensioners-at-arms, is Lord High Steward of Kidderminster, and is patron of one living. His lordship sat in Parliament, for the county of Worcester, from 1830 to 1833.
Sandys, Baron, of Ombersley—Seat, Ombersley Court; created, 1802. Samuel Sandys of Ombersley, Chancellor of the Exchequerin 1741, was elevated to the peerage, as Baron Sandys, in 1743. The title, however, became extinct in 1801, when the second Baron died without issue. The Marchioness of Downshire, to whom his estates fell, was created Baroness Sandys of Ombersley, 15 June, 1802, with remainder to her four younger sons by the Marquess of Downshire, and their male issue. Her ladyship died in 1836, and was succeeded by her second son,Arthur Moyses William Hill. His lordship is a major general in the army. Is patron of the living of Ombersley.
Ward, Baron of Birmingham—Seats, Himley Hall, Dudley Castle, and Sedgley Park; created, 1644. John Ward, Esq., of Sedgley Park, became sixth Baron on the death, without issue, of his kinsman William, fifth Baron. He was created Viscount Dudley and Ward, April, 1763; but his son dying without issue, that title devolved on his half brother William, third Viscount, born January, 1750, who died 25 April, 1823. He was Recorder of Kidderminster, and represented the city of Worcester in the Parliaments of 1780 and 1784. His contributions in furtherance of benevolent objects were truly munificent, and the public charities of Worcester always largely participated in his largess. He was succeeded by his son, John William, fourth Viscount, who was created Earl Dudley of Dudley Castle in 1827; but as he died unmarried in 1833, this title and the Viscounty became extinct. The Earl was a man of powerful talents, but withal most eccentric in his manners; and during the last few years of his life was obliged to withdraw altogether from society. He was Secretary for Foreign Affairs under Mr. Canning, Lord Goderich, and during a part of the Wellington administration; and his speeches at this time always commanded great attention, and were admired for their classical eloquence and style. He wrote a somewhat celebrated article in theQuarterly Reviewon theLife and Character of Horne Tooke, with others on Sydney Smith’s sermons, &c. The barony of Ward fell to his second cousin William Humble, in holy orders, who died December, 1835, and was succeeded by his sonWilliam, the present peer. His lordship married, 24 April, 1851, Selina Constance, eldest daughter of Robert de Burgh, Esq., of West Drayton, who died without issue 14 November, 1851. His lordship is patron of thirteen livings, and has very extensive property in the county of Worcester; the whole of the Foley estates passing into his hands by purchase in the year 1838: the purchase money was said to be £890,000.
Southwell, Viscount (Irish peerage)—Seats, Hindlip, Worcestershire, and Court Mattress, Limerick. Thomas Southwell, Esq.,of Court Mattress, was created a Baronet by Charles II, and, after the Restoration, was succeeded by his grandson, who took an active part in the cause of William III. He was created a Baron of the kingdom of Ireland by George I, in 1717. Thomas George, the third Baron, was, in 1776, created Viscount. He died 1780, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Thomas Arthur, fourth Baron and second Viscount, who married, in 1774, the daughter of Francis John Walsh, de Sérrant. He died February, 1796, and was succeeded by the present lord,Thomas Anthony, under the title of fifth Baron and third Viscount Southwell. Lord Southwell married, May, 1799, Jane, the younger daughter of John Berkeley, Esq., of Hindlip, in whose right he came into possession of the Worcestershire property. His lordship, in 1836, received from his late Majesty the dignity of the Knighthood of the Order of St. Patrick. Is patron of the living of Hindlip, Deputy Lieutenant of the County of Worcester, &c.
Pakington—Seat, Westwood Park; created, 1620; revived, 1846. Sir John Pakington, who died 6 January, 1830, in his 70th year, being unmarried, and the title became extinct. His sister Elizabeth married William Russell, Esq., of Powick Court, and her surviving son,John Somerset Russell, assumed the name of his maternal ancestors, and inherited the Pakington estates. The family honours were gracefully revived in his person: he was elevated to the rank of a Baronet of the United Kingdom in 1846. He married, first, Mary, only child of Moreton Aglionby Slaney, Esq., and by her (died in 1843) has issue one son, John Slaney Pakington, Esq., married, 4 July, 1849, to Lady Diana Boyle, youngest daughter of the late Earl of Glasgow; Sir John married, secondly, 1844, Augusta, daughter of the Right Rev. George Murray, D.D., Bishop of Rochester; and, thirdly, June, 1851, Augusta, relict of the late Colonel Davies, of Elmley Park. Sir John is patron of the living of Hampton Lovett; has been Chairman of the Worcestershire Quarter Sessions since 1834; is Captain of the Westwood Troop of Worcestershire Yeomanry; twice unsuccessfully contested the representation of the county; and has sat for the borough of Droitwich since 1837. On the accession of Earl Derby’s administration, he was appointed Her Majesty’s Secretary of State for the Colonies.
Smith—Seat, Eardiston House; created, 1809. William Smith, Esq., of Eardiston, married, 18 October, 1780, Mary, daughter ofEdward Wheeler, Esq., of Lambswick; was created a Baronet 23 September, 1809; and died March, 1821; when he was succeeded by Sir Christopher Sidney Smith, born 14 May, 1798; married, December, 1822, Mary, daughter of the Rev. R. Foley, and had issue one son and three daughters. Sir Christopher married, secondly, Harriette, only daughter of the late Thomas Lee, Esq., of Headingley, near Leeds, and relict of — Murphy, Esq. He died 19 November, 1839, and his widow in 1840. He ably filled the chair at Quarter Sessions from 1829 to 1834. SirWilliam, the present Baronet, was born 5 October, 1823—married 5 May, 1843, Susan, fourth daughter of Sir William George Parker, Bart., R.N.
Wakeman—Seat, Perdiswell House; created, 1808. Henry Wakeman, Esq., of Perdiswell, married, first, in August, 1787, Theodosia, daughter of John Freeman, Esq., of Gaines—which marriage was dissolved by Act of Parliament—secondly, in June, 1797, Sarah, only daughter and heir apparent of Richard Ward Offley, Esq., of Hinton, Salop; and had issue two sons and one daughter. He was created a Baronet 20 February, 1808. He died 23 April, 1831; and Lady Wakeman in 1843. SirOffley Pembury, the present Baronet, was born 17 May, 1799; married, 1848, only daughter of the late Thomas Adlington, Esq. Is patron of one living.
Winnington—Seat, Stanford Court; created, 1755. Sir Edward, the second Baronet, married, in 1776, Anne, daughter of Thomas, the first Lord Foley; and died in 1805, being then member for Droitwich. He was a very learned scholar, and possessed of much critical acumen. Sir Thomas Edward, his son, married, November, 1810, Joanna, daughter of John Taylor, Esq., of Moseley Hall, and had issue three sons and four daughters. Sir Thomas died 24 September, 1839. He was a steady supporter of Whig measures, and represented Droitwich from 1807 to 1818, the county from 1820 to 1830, and Bewdley till 1837. SirThomas Edward Winnington, M.P., the present Baronet, was born 11 November, 1811; married, 21 June, 1842, Anna Helena, eldest daughter of Sir Compton Domville, Bart.; represented Bewdley in the Parliament of 1837, and is now its member. Is patron of three livings.
Lechmere—Seat, The Rhydd; created, 1818; Anthony Lechmere, Esq., born November, 1776, was created a Baronet 3 October, 1818. He filled the office of Mayor of Worcester in 1816, and was the devoted friend of agriculture. He died 25 March, 1849, and was succeeded by SirEdmund Hungerford Lechmere, the present Baronet, born 25 May, 1792; married, 1819, Maria Clara, daughterof the late Hon. David Murray, and has issue one son and one daughter. Is patron of two livings.
Blount—Seats, Sodington, Worcestershire; Mawley Hall, Shropshire; and Haggeston, Northumberland. Sir Walter, the seventh baronet, died 31st October, 1803, and was succeeded by SirEdward, the present baronet, born 3 March, 1795; married, 14 September, 1830, Mary Frances, eldest daughter of Edward Blount, Esq.
Phillips—Seat, Middle Hill. Thomas Phillips, Esq., of Middle Hill, F.R.S. and F.S.A., was created a Baronet in July, 1821, and married Harriett, daughter of Lieutenant General Sir Thomas Molyneaux, Bart., and by her had issue three daughters. Sir Thomas, in 1842, married, secondly, Elizabeth Harriett Anna, daughter of the Rev. W. J. Mansel, of Iscord: is a Deputy Lieutenant of the County.
Clive,Robert Henry—Seats, Hewell Grange, Oakley Park, &c.; second son of the first Earl of Powis; married, 19 June, 1819, Harriet, daughter of the fifth Earl of Plymouth. Has been lieutenant colonel in the army, and is Colonel of the Queen’s own Regiment of Worcestershire Yeomanry Cavalry. Was Under Secretary of State for the Home Department from April, 1818, till January, 1822. Sat for Ludlow from 1818 till 1832, and since that year for South Shropshire. Is patron of three livings. His eldest son, Robert Clive, Esq., is now M.P. for Ludlow.
Coventry,Thomas Henry, Rector of Severn Stoke and Croome Hill, andWilliam James(Earl’s Croome), brothers of the late Earl of Coventry.
Cocks,John Somers, Canon of Worcester and Prebendary of Hereford Cathedral, brother of the late Earl Somers.
Lygon,Henry Beauchamp—Seat, Spring Hill, Broadway. Third son of the first Earl Beauchamp—a lieutenant colonel in the army and Colonel of the 10th Hussars. Has sat for the county since 1817, with the exception of the short Parliament of 1831. Married, 8 July, 1824, Susan Caroline, daughter of the second Earl of St. German’s; she died, 1835.
Lyttelton,Spencer, Hagley, andWilliam Henry, Hon. Canon of Worcester and Rector of Hagley, brothers of Lord Lyttelton.
Talbot,William Whitworth Chetwynd, Vicar of Ombersley, andWellington Patrick Manvers Chetwynd, of Honeybourne, Captain of the 7th Foot, sixth and seventh sons of Earl Talbot.
1800—Dr. Richard Hurd.
1808—June—The Rev. Dr. Folliot Herbert Walker Cornwall, translated from the See of Hereford.
1831—September13—Dr. Robert Carr, translated from the See of Chichester.
1841—May1—Dr. Henry Pepys, translated from the See of Sodor and Mann.
1800—Rev. Arthur Onslow, D.D.
1817—October—The Rev. John Bankes Jenkinson.
1825—August—The Rev. James Hook, LL.D.
1828—March—The Rev. Dr. Murray, Bishop of Rochester.
1845—December—The Rev. John Peel, Rector of Waresley, and brother of the Premier, in the stead of the Bishop of Rochester, who gave up this piece of preferment in accordance with the arrangements of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. To the Deanery of Worcester had hitherto been attached the Vicarage of Bromsgrove, with which were the Vicarage of Kingsnorton and the Chapelries of Christ Church, Moseley, and Wythal. All of these had been held by the Bishop of Rochester, and Bromsgrove had been without a resident Vicar for half a century. These preferments are now separated from the Deanery.
1800—Rev. J. Torkington, LL.D. Rev. J. Stillingfleet, D.D. Rev. John Plumptre, M.A. Rev. Richard Kilvert, M.A. Rev. Charles Talbot, M.A. Rev. Septimus Collinson, D.D. Rev. John Carver, M.A. Rev. Thomas Fountain. Rev. Thomas Evans, D.D. Rev. Thomas James, D.D.
1803—Rev. John Wingfield, D.D.
1804—Rev. James Meakin, A.M.
1804—Rev. J. F. Seymour Fleming St. John, M.A.
1808—Rev. John Bankes Jenkinson, M.A.
1813—Rev. William Digby, A.M.
1815—Rev. Townsend Forrester, D.D.
1815—Hon. and Rev. Edward Rice, M.A.
1817—Hon. and Rev. Richard Bagot, M.A.
1817—Rev. Herbert Oakley, M.A.
1818—Rev. Anthony Pye, M.A.
1822—Rev. C. R. Sumner, M.A.
1825—Rev. T. Gaisford, M.A.
1826—Rev. J. Davison, B.D.
1826—Rev. Christopher Benson, M.A.
1827—Rev. Godfrey Faussett, B.D.
1829—Thomas Singleton, M.A., to Deanery.
1830—Hon. and Rev. James Somers Cocks.
1833—Rev. E. Winnington Ingram, M.A.
1834—Hon. and Rev. John Fortescue, M.A.
1841—Rev. J. R. Wood, M.A., Chaplain to the Queen Dowager.
1845—Rev. J. Peel, D.D., Dean.
1848—Rev. E. H. Cradock, M.A.
The number of Canonries is now reduced from ten to four.
1834—February—The office of Rural Dean was revived by the Bishop of Worcester, having been allowed in this diocese to remain in abeyance for nearly a century. The Right Hon. and Rev. Lord Aston was the first appointed.
ELECTED TO REPRESENT THE DIOCESE IN CONVOCATION.
1802—The Rev. T. R. Nash, D.D., Rector of Leigh, and the Rev. Francis Mills, M.A., Rector of Barford.
1806—Dr. Nash and the Rev. Francis Mills reëlected. The Rev. James Stillingfleet, M.A., Prebendary, chosen to represent the Dean and Chapter.
1807—Dr. Nash and the Rev. F. Mills reëlected. The Rev. James Torkington, LL.D., elected Proctor for the Dean and Chapter.
1812—The Rev. Richard Kilvert, M.A., Rector of Hartlebury, and the Rev. Francis Mills, M.A., elected for the body of the Clergy; and the Rev. Dr. Torkington to represent the Dean and Chapter.
1818—The Rev. John Wingfield, D.D., Vicar of Bromsgrove, and the Rev. Francis Mills, for the Clergy; and the Rev. James Meakin, M.A., for the Dean and Chapter.
1820—The same clergymen reëlected.
1826—The Rev. John Walker Baugh, M.A., Rector of Ripple, and the Rev. Francis Mills, for the Clergy.
1830—The Rev. J. W. Baugh, and the Rev. Francis Mills, for the Clergy; and the Rev. William Digby, Sub-Dean, for the Dean and Chapter.
1831—The same clergymen reappointed.
1832—The Rev. J. W. Baugh, and the Rev. Francis Mills, for the Clergy; and the Rev. Townsend Forrester, D.D., Sub-Dean, for the Dean and Chapter.
1835—The same clergymen reëlected.
1837—The Rev. Thomas Baker, M.A., Rector of Hartlebury, and the Rev. George Leigh Cook, B.D., Rector of Cubbington, Warwickshire, for the Clergy; and the Rev. William Digby, M.A., Prebendary, for the Dean and Chapter.
1841—The Rev. Henry Arthur Woodgate, B.D., Rector of Bellbroughton, and the Rev. John Howells, Vicar of St. Trinity, Coventry, for the Clergy; and the Rev. William Digby for the Chapter.
1847—The Rev. H. A. Woodgate, and the Rev. Robert Chapman Savage, M.A., Vicar of Nuneaton, for the Clergy; and the Hon. and Rev. Somers Cocks for the Chapter.
1852—The Rev. H. A. Woodgate and the Rev. R. Seymour were elected by the clergy. Two other clergymen were proposed, viz., the Rev. P. M. Smythe and the Rev. R. C. Savage; the latter as a gentleman opposed to the revival of Convocation; and a show of hands was taken. For Mr. Woodgate 20 hands were held up; for Mr. Seymour, 23; for Mr. Smythe, 17; and for Mr. Savage, 9.
1800—The Earl of Coventry.
1808—November—The Right Hon. Lord Viscount Deerhurst appointed Lord Lieutenant in the place of his father, who resigned in consequence of his age and increased infirmities.
1831—March—The Right Hon. Lord Foley, in the room of the Earl of Coventry, deceased.
1833—May—The Right Hon. Lord Lyttelton, in the room of Lord Foley, deceased.
1837—July—The Right Hon. Lord Foley, in the room of Lord Lyttelton, deceased.
1839—October—The Right Hon. Lord Lyttelton, in the room of Lord Foley, resigned.
1800—William Welch, Esq.
1817—Earl Beauchamp.
1823—Benjamin Johnson, Esq.
1824—Lord Plymouth.
1829—Sir C. S. Smith, Bart.
1834—J. S. Pakington, Esq.
1800—William Smith, Esq., Eardiston.
1801—Thomas Phillips, Esq., Broadway.
1802—Thomas Newnham, Esq., Broadwas.
1803—John Phillips, Esq., Winterdyne.
1804—Edward Knight, Esq., Wolverley (ob.), and Thomas Holme Esq., Beoley.
1805—John Amphlett, Esq., Clent.
1806—Sir Thomas Winnington, Bart., Stamford.
1807—Thomas Bland, Esq., Ham Court.
1808—Sir John Pakington, Bart., Westwood.
1809—Henry Bromley, Esq., Abberley Hall.
1810—Joseph Smith, Esq., Sion Hill.
1811—Thomas Hawkes, Esq., Dudley.
1812—John Baker, Esq., Wolverley.
1813—E. Lechmere Charlton, Esq., Hanley.
1814—John Knight, Esq., Lea Castle.
1815—Edward Dixon, Esq., Dudley.
1816—Joseph Lea, Esq., The Hill.
1817—John Taylor, Esq., Strensham.
1818—Samuel Wall, Esq., Hallow Park.
1819—John Jeffreys, Esq., Blakebrook.
1820—Richard Griffiths, Esq., Thorngrove.
1821—Elias Isaac, Esq., Boughton House.
1822—Samuel Ryland, Esq., Northfield.
1823—John Williams, Esq., Pitmaston.
1824—Sir C. S. Smith, Bart., Eardiston.
1825—T. S. Vernon, Esq., Shrawley.
1826—James Taylor, Esq., Moor Green.
1827—George Farley, Esq., Henwick House.
1828—George Meredith, Esq., Berrington, near Tenbury.
1829—E. Rudge, Esq., Manor House, Evesham.
1830—John Scott, Esq., Stourbridge.
1831—O. Ricardo, Esq., Bromsberrow Place.
1832—John Joseph Martin, Esq., Ham Court.
1833—John Brown, Esq., Lea Castle.
1834—John Howard Galton, Esq., Hadzor House.
1835—Sir Edward Blount, Bart., Mawley Hall.
1836—Sir O. P. Wakeman, Bart., Perdiswell.
1837—W. A. Roberts, Esq., Bewdley.
1838—Robert Berkeley, jun., Esq., Spetchley.
1839—William Congreve Russell, Esq.
1840—James Foster, Esq., Stourton Castle.
1841—T. C. Hornyold, Esq., Blackmore Park.
1842—Edward Holland, Esq., Dumbleton.
1843—William Robins, Esq., Hagley.
1844—John Richards, Esq., Wassell Grove.
1845—Thomas Simcox Lea, Esq., Astley Hall.
1846—William Hemming, Esq., Bordesley Park.
1847—E. G. Stone, Esq., Chambers Court.
1848—John Frederick Ledsam, Esq., Northfield.
1849—John Dent, Esq., Worcester.
1850—J. G. Watkins, Esq., Woodfield.
Worcester Division—Early part of present century—Thomas Bund, Esq.
1810 to 1820—Rev. Arthur Onslow, D.D., Dean of Worcester.
1820 to 1842—Rev. John Foley, Holt.
Present Chairmen (alternately)—T. G. Curtler, Esq., and Rev. John Pearson.
Hundred House Division—To 1834, Sir C. S. Smith, Bart.
Present Chairman—The Rev. Thomas Pearson.
Pershore Division—1800 to 1836—Thomas Beale Cooper, Esq., M.D., Richard Hudson, Esq., and Lieutenant General Thomas Marriott.
Present Chairman—C. E. Hanford, Esq.
Bromsgrove Division—1833 (when the Petty Sessions were first held here)—The Hon. and Rev. Walter Hutchinson Lord Aston.
Present Chairman—The Rev. William Vernon.
Evesham Division(formed 1842)—Thomas B. Cooper, Esq., M.D.
Stourport Division(formed 1848)—Thomas Simcox Lea, Esq.
Tenbury Division(formed 1845)—Rev. Charles Turner Farley.
Blockley Division—Early part of the present century—Rev. J. R. Hall and William Broughton, Esq.
1827 to present time—William Dickens, Esq.
Dudley Division—1800—The Rev. Joseph Cartwright.
1811—The Rev. William Smith.
Present Chairmen—Thomas Badger, Esq., or the senior magistrate in attendance.
Droitwich Division—Early part of the century—The Rev. J. V. Vashon and the Hon. and Rev. Lord Aston.
1844—Rev. William Vernon.
Upton Division—18-- Rev. George Turberville.
1838—Rev. Charles Dunne.
1850—Rev. A. B. Lechmere.
In the Kidderminster, Halesowen, Northfield, and Stourbridge Divisions it has not been the practice to appoint any permanent chairmen.
1803—John Soley, Esq.
1822—Thomas Blayney, Esq.
1839—H. B. Domville, Esq.
1843—W. Nichols Marcy, Esq.
1800—Rev. — Faulkner.
18-- Rev. — Myddleton.
18-- Rev. J. Hadley.
1833—Rev. J. Adlington.
1839—Mr. R. R. Harris.
1800—Mr. William Davies.
1820—Mr. J. P. Lavender.
1846—Mr. Benjamin L. Stable.
1800—E. Isaac, Esq.
1801—H. Hughes, Esq.
1802—Richards Rowlands, Esq.
1803—John Blew, Esq.
1804—John Forrest, Esq.
1805—John Dillon, Esq.
1806—James Wakeman, Esq.
1807—Thomas Allies, Esq.
1808—Samuel Crane, Esq.
1809—Herbert Rogers, Esq.
1810—William Blew, Esq.
1811—John Dowding, Esq.
1812—Benjamin Johnson, Esq.
1813—Thomas St. John, Esq.
1814—Robert Brown, Esq.
1815—Samuel Garmston, Esq.
1816—Anthony Lechmere, Esq.
1817—Robert Chamberlain, Esq.
1818—William Moore, Esq.
1819—W. H. Chamberlain, Esq.
1820—Elias Isaac, Esq.
1821—Francis Hooper, Esq.
1822—John S. Ballard, Esq.
1823—William Shaw, Esq.
1824—William Dunn, Esq.
1825—Edward Blew, Esq.
1826—John Dent, Esq.
1827—R. R. Garmston, Esq.
1828—Thomas Best, Esq.
1829—John Fletcher, Esq.
1830—John Morton, Esq.
1831—H. B. Tymbs, Esq.
1832—Henry Clifton, Esq.
1833—John P. Lavender, Esq.
1834—William Dent, Esq.
1835—Thomas Leonard, Esq., and J. W. Lea, Esq.
PASSING OF MUNICIPAL ACT.
1836—C. H. Hebb, Esq.
1837—C. H. Hebb, Esq.
1838—George Allies, Esq.
1839—Richard Evans, Esq.
1840—Thomas Chalk, Esq.
1841—C. A. Helm, Esq.
1842—Edward Evans, Esq.
1843—John Lilly, Esq.
1844—William Lewis, Esq.
1845—William Lewis, Esq.
1846—E. J. Lloyd, Esq., (ob.) and William Lewis, Esq.
1847—F. T. Elgie, Esq.
1848—Edward Webb, Esq.
1849—R. Padmore, Esq.
1850—J. W. Lea, Esq.
1800—The sixth Earl of Coventry.
1808—The seventh Earl of Coventry, in the room of his father.
1831—The eighth Earl of Coventry, in the room of his father.
1836—Under the Municipal Reform Act the Recorder was made virtually, as he had been before nominally, the chief administratorof justice in all corporate cities and boroughs having a Quarter Sessions; and the appointment was vested in Government. John Buckle, Esq., barrister-at-law, was appointed Recorder of Worcester—the Government not acceding to the wishes of the Town Council, who had recommended Mr. Stinton.
1817—Mr. John Platt and Mr. Nathaniel Mence.
1825—James Wakeman, jun., Esq., in the room of John Platt, Esq., deceased.
1828—Mr. Gwinnell and Mr. J. B. Hyde, in the room of Mr. N. Mence (suddenly gone to America because of some defalcations), and Mr. Wakeman, resigned. Mr. Gwinnell died 1835, and the vacancy thus occasioned was not filled up.
1836—Mr. J. B. Hyde reappointed Coroner by the new Municipal Corporation.
1800—Richard Cocks, Esq.
1801—Benjamin Johnson, Esq.
1829—William Welles, Esq.
1830—Charles Sidebottom, Esq.
1836—John Hill, Esq.
1800—Mr. Tyers.
1802—Mr. James Griffiths.
1819—Mr. William Griffiths.
1800—James Fryer, Esq.
1801—Thomas H. Crane, Esq.
1802—Thomas Baker, Esq.
1803—Jonathan Skey, Esq.
1804—Joseph Crane, Esq.
1805—Samuel Baker, Esq.
1806—Jonathan Skey, Esq.
1807—Rev. Edward Baugh.
1808—James Fryer, Esq.
1809—W. A. Roberts, jun., Esq.
1810—Thomas H. Crane, Esq.
1811—Joseph Crane, Esq.
1812—Wilson A. Roberts, Esq.
1813—George Baker, Esq.
1814—Joseph Seager, Esq.
1815—W. A. Roberts, jun., Esq.
1816—James Fryer, Esq.
1817—Thomas H. Crane, Esq.
1818—Joseph Crane, Esq.
1819—John Brookholding, Esq.
1820—Robert Pardoe, Esq.
1821—Thomas Cartwright, Esq.
1822—Thomas Pilkington, Esq.
1823—Joseph Crane, Esq.
1824—Thomas Shaw, Esq.
1825—George Baker, Esq.
1826—John Brookholding, Esq.
1827—Thomas Pilkington, Esq.
1828—John Williams, Esq.
1829—Thomas H. Crane, Esq.
1830—James Fryer, Esq.
1831—T. S. Cartwright, Esq.
1832—John Brookholding, Esq.
1833—Thomas Cartwright, Esq.
1834—Slade Baker, Esq.
1835—Slade Baker, Esq.