FOREWORD
This thrilling tale was compiled from the log-book of William S. Cary, of Nantucket, the sole survivor of the crew of ship "Oeno", which was wrecked on Turtle Island, in the Pacific Ocean, on the 5th of April, 1825. It was first published in the Nantucket Journal in 1887, in installments, Cary's journal of his experiences having been discovered in one of the fish-houses below 'Sconset bank a few years before.
"The Wreck of the Oeno" is a personal description of the loss of a Nantucket whaleship, the capture and massacre of all but one of the crew, and the incidents of the life of the survivor among the cannibals of the South Sea Islands.
The ship "Oeno" was owned by Aaron Mitchell, of Nantucket, and was commanded by Capt. Samuel Riddell. She sailed from this island early in November, 1824, and as was usual in those days on account of the bar at the mouth of Nantucket harbor, went over to Edgartown to load for sea. The ship then proceeded, via the Cape of Good Hope, to the Bay of Islands. That was the last heard of her for nearly six years, and it was thought she had been lost at sea with all on board.
In 1830, however, the owner at Nantucket received a letter from William S. Cary, one of the crew, bringing the startling information that the ship had been lost on Turtle Island and that all of the crew had been massacred by the natives with the exception of himself, and that he was then living among the islanders.
The "Oeno's" crew consisted of Samuel Riddell, master; William Shaw, mate; —— Drew, second mate; three boatsteerers, a cooper, a carpenter, a cook, and a dozen foremast hands.
Cary's "log" of his experiences is a most graphic description of life among the Feejee Islanders. His capture and adoption by the king of the tribe, the life and customs of the natives, his escape and return home, are all touched upon in detail, the whole story forming one of the most thrilling tales of the sea ever printed. And the best part of the story is that it is true.
Harry B. Turner.
Nantucket, Mass., May 1, 1928.