Fig. 1.—'The Lady Hermione.'
Fig. 1.—'The Lady Hermione.'
'The Lady Hermione' is a yawl-rigged yacht (fig. 1), built by Forrest & Son, of Wivenhoe, to the order of her owner. She is 22 ft. 9 in. long between perpendiculars, 4 ft. 2 in. in depth, has a beam of 7 ft. 3 in., and a registered tonnage of four tons. She is built with mild-steel frames, galvanised so as to resist the corrosive action of sea-water—a mode of construction which has recently been adopted for torpedo-boats—and is sheathed with East Indian teak and coppered. A novel feature in the hull of so small a boat is its division into water-tight compartments by transverse and longitudinal bulkheads, composed of galvanised steel plates riveted to the steel frames. These bulkheads form a large forward compartment, two compartments on each sideof the cabin, and a compartment at the stern, thus rendering the vessel water-tight as long as they remain intact.
On the deck, forward and aft, are hatchways which give entrance to the bow and stern compartments respectively. The hatches to these openings, which are kept constantly closed at sea, are fastened down with strong gun-metal screws fitted with butterfly nuts, the screws being fastened to the deck and made to fold down on it with joint when not in use. The coamings of the hatchways, as well as the inner edges of the hatches themselves, are lined with india-rubber, so as to render the covers perfectly water-tight. Access to the side compartments is obtained by means of manholes opening from the cabin, and covered with steel plates screwed into the bulkhead. In the event of the yacht's shipping any water, it is removed by a pump leading through the deck near to the cockpit and within easy reach of the steersman's hand. The cover of the pump works on a hinge, and lies flush with the deck when closed. The pump-handle is made to ship and unship at will, and is in the form of a lever, which renders the operation of pumping more easy than in the ordinary form of pump usually employed in small boats (c, figs. 2 and 11).
'The Lady Hermione' is ballasted with lead, the greater portion of which is carried outside in the form of a keel, which weighs about two tons. On trial, it was found that the little craft was too quick on her helm—a quality which, however useful in racing vessels, is undesirable in a single-handed boat, where the operation of getting aft the sheets when going about naturally requires somewhat more time than it does when the crew is composed of more than one hand. In order to remedy this defect a deep oak keel has been fixed outside the lead keel, and has to a considerable extent answered its purpose. It has also added immensely to the boat's stiffness; and it is blowing very hard indeed when a reef requires to be taken down. In fact, owing to her deep build and her heavy outside keels, 'The Lady Hermione' is virtually uncapsizable, while her water-tight compartments render her unsinkable. It is impossible tooverrate the value of these two elements of safety in a boat which is always worked by one person and is taken out in all weathers.
Stepping on board 'The Lady Hermione,' the visitor, however much he is accustomed to yachts, is struck by the number and apparent complication of the contrivances which meet his eye (fig. 3), the interior of the vessel looking, as a witty naval officer once observed on being shown over her, 'something like the inside of a clock'; but, after a few explanations, the usefulness and practical efficiency of the various devices become evident. The principle which has been adhered to throughout in the rigging and fittings is, that all operations connected with the handling and management of the boat shall be performed by one person without the application of any considerable physical force. It has also been laid down as asine quâ nonthat everything shall work perfectly in all weathers and under all conditions of wind and sea. The result of the owner's ingenuity is, that the sails can be hoisted and lowered, the sheets attended to, the anchor let go and weighed, and the tiller fixed and kept fixed in any desired position, without the necessity of the one person, who composes the crew leaving the cockpit. The arrangements for carrying out these objects will now be described in detail.
Fig. 3.—'The Lady Hermione.' Deck plan.
Fig. 3.—'The Lady Hermione.' Deck plan.
The first contrivance which claims attention is that for keeping the rudder fixed at any desired angle (figs. 4 and 5A). In his account of his cruise in the yawl 'Rob Roy' the late Mr. Macgregor says that he had never seen any really satisfactory method of accomplishing this object; but the difficultyhas been solved by Lord Dufferin, who, indeed, has had fitted in many of his previous boats an apparatus similar to that in the present one. On the deck aft, about a couple of feet in advance of the rudder-head, are fitted two brass stanchions. These support a brass bar which on its lower side is indented with notches similar to the teeth of a saw, and of a depth of about half an inch (A, fig. 4). On the tiller there is fitted a brass tube or cylinder made so as to slide backwards and forwards within a limit of some eight or ten inches, and bearing on its upper surface a triangular fin of brass (A, fig. 5). When it is desired to fix the tiller in any particular position, the cylinder is instantaneously slipped back until the fin catches one of the notches of the bar, and the tiller is thus securely fixed. The tiller is unlocked by simply flicking forward the cylinder with the hand, the locking and unlocking being done in a second. The toothed brass bar, it may be mentioned, is curved so that the fin may fit into any desired notch, no matter at what an angle it may be desired to fix the rudder (A, fig. 4). The cockpit of the yacht being somewhat small, it was found that when there was a lady passenger on board the movement of the tiller interfered with her comfort, and, in order to obviate this difficulty, a steering-wheel has recently been fixed on the top of the cabin immediately in front of where the helmsman stands (fig. 6). When the wheel is used a short tiller is employed, with steel tackles leading from it through pulleys and fair-leads to the wheel itself. The axis of the wheel carries a brass cap fitted with a screw, by half a turn of which the steering apparatus can be locked or unlocked, and the helm fixed in any position. If it is desired at any time to substitute steering with the tiller for steering with the wheel, the process is very simple. A brass handle of the requisite length, and bearing a cylinder and fin as above described, is screwed on to the short tiller, and the tiller ropes are cast off, the whole operation being performed in a few seconds. The wheel, the stand for which slides into brass grooves on the cabin top, can also be unshipped and stowed out of the way in a very short time.
Fittings of 'The Lady Hermione.'
Fittings of 'The Lady Hermione.'
We now proceed to examine the gear for letting go the anchor, which, though difficult to describe, will readily be understood from the drawing (fig. 7). The anchor, a Martin's patent, when stowed, rests upon two crescent-shaped supports, which project from the bulwarks just forward of the main rigging (A, A', fig. 7). These supports are fixed to a bar or tumbler lying close to the inside of the bulwark, and arranged so as to turn on its axis (B, fig. 7; andC, fig. 12). Fixed to the tumbler inboard there is a small bar which fits into a socket attached to the covering board. On the socket is a trigger (C, fig. 7, andD, fig. 12) from which a line leads along the inside of the bulwarks to within easy reach of the cockpit (D, fig. 7). By pulling this line the socket is made to revolve, so as to release the arm; the weight of the anchor forces the tumbler to turn on its axis, bringing down with it the crescent-shaped supports, and the anchor falls into the sea.
This operation having been completed, it will probably be thought that now at last the crew must leave his point of vantage, and go forward to stopper and bit his cable. But no; we have not by any means yet reached the limits of ingenuity displayed in this extraordinary little ship. The chain cable runs out through a hawse-pipe in the bow, and across the hawse-hole a strong steel plate or compressor, with a notch cut in it to fit the links of the cable, runs in grooves. By pulling a line which leads to the cockpit this compressor is drawn over the hawse-hole, and the cable is thus effectually snubbed. When the anchor has to be got up, or it is required to let out more chain, the compressor can be drawn back by another line which also leads to the cockpit. These two contrivances for letting go and stopping the anchor, together with the apparatus for weighing it without leaving the cockpit, which will now be dealt with, get rid of that fruitful source of discomfort in boats manned by one hand—namely, the necessity of the solitary mariner's having to go forward to deal with his ground tackle at a time when perhaps he has other pressing calls on his attention in connection with the management of his vessel.
Equally as ingenious as the means of letting go the anchor is the machinery employed for weighing it. The windlass used is an ordinary yacht's windlass, except that on its outer end on its starboard side it carries a cogged wheel (fig. 8). Close alongside the windlass there rises from the deck a spindle cut with an endless screw (A, fig. 9), the threads of which take the teeth of the cogged wheel. This spindle runs through the deck, and has at its lower extremity a cogged wheel (B, fig. 9), fitting into another cogged wheel attached to a shaft, which runs aft on bearings in the ceiling of the cabin to the cockpit (C, fig. 9). At the cockpit end it is furnished with a large wheel (D, fig. 9, and fig. 10), on turning which the motion is communicated through the shaft and a system of cog-wheels (figs. 9 and 11), to the Archimedian screw rising up through the deck forward, and this screw in its turn revolves the windlass, and the anchor comes merrily home. The slack of the chain, as it comes in, drops perpendicularly through the hawse-pipe to the chain-locker below, and requires no attention or handling. The machinery for getting the anchor possesses great power, and, even when the anchor has a tight hold of the bottom, the wheel in the cockpit can be turned almost with one finger. The wheel is made to ship and unship, and when not in use is hung up to the side of the cabin. As a general rule, especially when weighing in a crowded harbour, the anchor is simply hove up close to the hawse-hole until open water has been gained, the ropes carefully coiled down, and everything made snug and shipshape. The vessel is then laid to, or the helm fixed so as to keep her on her course, as circumstances may determine, and the crew goes forward to do the one thing he cannot perform from aft, the catting and fishing of his anchor. Suspended from the head of the mainmast is a tackle of the kind known to seamen as a 'Spanish burton,' with a long iron hook attached to its lower block. In fishing the anchor this burton is first overhauled, and, leaning over the bow, the operator fixes the hook in a ring let into the shank of the anchor at a point where the anchor exactlybalances itself when suspended horizontally. He then passes the various parts of the fall of the tackle through an eye at the end of a fish-davit—similar in shape to the boat-davits used in large ships—which stands up from the deck close to the bulwarks, a little forward of the supports for the anchor already mentioned (A, fig. 12). By pulling on the hauling part of the burton the anchor is raised close to the end of the davit, and the davit, by an ingeniously arranged spring, on a lever at its base (B, fig. 12), being pressed with the foot, can be swung round until the anchor is suspended immediately above its resting-place, into which it is then lowered, the crescent-shaped supports already referred to having been previously placed in position, and the trigger locked. Here it rests in perfect security, and is ready to be let go by pulling on the line attached to the trigger. On the port side a second anchor is carried, an Admiralty pattern, weighing about fifty pounds, and secured in precisely the same way as the starboard or working anchor, though in weighing it the windlass is used with an ordinary ratchet, as the windlass barrel on the port side is not connected with the shaft previously described. It may here be mentioned that the starboard barrel of the windlass can also be used in the ordinary way, as the spindle with the endless screw already mentioned is made with a joint, so that it can be disconnected from the cogged wheel and laid down flat on deck out of the way whenever necessary (C, fig. 8; andD, fig. 9).
We now pass on to what is the most important thing in all single-handed sailing boats, the arrangement of the halliards and sheets in such a manner that all operations connected with making and shortening sail can be performed from the cockpit. In 'The Lady Hermione' this essential principle has been carried out to its fullest extent. At the foot of the mainmast on each side is a brass fair-lead fitted with ten or twelve sheaves (figs. 13 and 14). Through these sheaves all the halliards (except, of course, those connected with the mizzen) are rove, and then led aft over the top of the cabin to within a few inches of the cockpit (fig. 3). Here they are belayed to alarge belaying-pin rack which crosses the cabin top in front of the steersman and within easy reach of his hand (fig. 15). The frame of this rack is pierced with horizontal holes for the ropes to pass through, after which they are belayed to the pins, while the falls are allowed to drop down on to the cabin floor, where they are snugly coiled away in a box with a number of compartments which has been made to receive them. The object of passing the halliards through holes in the belaying-pin rack is to afford a straight pull when getting up sail, and to prevent the ropes from flying away out of the steersman's reach when they are let go. 'The Lady Hermione' is, or rather was originally, fitted with all the running rigging that would be employed in the largest-sized yacht, and this will give some idea of the number of ropes that have to be dealt with by one person:—main and peak halliards, two topping-lifts, tack tackle and tack tricing line, topsail tack, sheets, halliards, and clew line, jib and staysail halliards, and jib and staysail down-hauls. As originally rigged, main, peak, and jib purchases were employed for getting the mainsail and jib well up, but the introduction of the gipsy winches mentioned in the next paragraph rendered these ropes unnecessary, and they have consequently been dispensed with. The system employed, however, has always worked without the slightest hitch, and enables whoever may be sailing the boat to attend to all the halliards without leaving the helm. On the belaying-pin rack each pin has the name of the rope for which it is intended engraved on a small brass plate, so that no confusion can arise as to what part of the gear it may at any time be desired to deal with; though, after a little practice, whoever is sailing the boat knows the lead of each rope by instinct. At the foot of the mizzen-mast fair-leads, similar to those near the mainmast, bring the gear of the mizzen to within reach of the cockpit. The jib and staysail sheets also lead aft, through bull's-eye fair-leads fixed inside the bulwarks, and are belayed to cleats screwed on to the coamings of the cockpit.
Even in a boat of the size now under description, it will beunderstood that the hoisting of the sails and the getting aft of the head-sheets in a strong breeze would tax the strength of an ordinary person; but, still carrying out the principle of doing everything with the least possible exertion, small gipsy winches of a peculiar pattern are largely employed, and form a very remarkable feature in the fittings of the vessel (figs. 16 and 17). These winches are all made so as to be easily shipped and unshipped at will, as they slide into brass grooves affixed to the deck, and are worked with ratchet handles, to which are attached strong steel springs in order to insure the ratchets always biting in the cogs. Altogether, there are ten gipsy winches on board, two on the deck on each side of the cockpit, two on the cabin top just forward of the belaying-pin rack, and two on the deck in front of the mainmast. The two on each side of the cockpit are used for the head-sheets. The sheets, led aft as previously described, are given a couple of turns round the barrel of the winch, and then belayed to their cleats. In getting them in after going about, they are first hauled hand-taut, then the ratchet handle is worked until they are as tight as may be desired, after which they are belayed. These operations are performed in a very few seconds, and the power of the winches is so great that the sheets are got in flatter than would be possible by any other means. The four winches on the cabin top are employed in the same manner for the main and peak halliards, or for the topsail tack, sheet and halliards, as may be required. The two forward of the mast are used for any purpose for which it may be required to use a purchase. The winches have all worked admirably from the time they were first fitted; they are not in the least in the way, and the simplicity of their operation and the extraordinary power which can be developed from them would scarcely be credited by anyone who has not seen them in actual use. The jib and staysail sheets were at first fitted with tackles; but the introduction of the winches has rendered tackles unnecessary. For the same reason, the main, peak and jib purchases, which were fitted when the little vessel was first prepared for sea,have been dispensed with, as the winches give all the power that can be desired.
Forward of, and attached to, the mainmast a long hawser is kept constantly stowed, to be used as a tow-rope in case towing by a steam-launch or tug should be necessary, as sometimes happens in a calm. This hawser is bulky and unwieldy to handle when wet, and it is understood that on the first opportunity there is to be substituted for it a light steel-wire hawser wound on a miniature but sufficiently strong drum, carried forward, in the same manner that steel hawsers are disposed of on the decks of large vessels.
Having now completed the description of the main features of the vessel, a word or two may be said about her minor fittings, which are also worthy of notice.
In most single-handed boats the helmsman is constantly bothered by his head-sheets, especially when there is a strong breeze, getting foul of something, thus necessitating his going forward to clear them. In 'The Lady Hermione' this inconvenience is entirely obviated by brass guards placed over all the projections upon which it is possible for a rope to catch. In this way the fair-leads in the bow, the windlass and the gipsy winches forward, are all protected, so that it is impossible for a rope to get foul anywhere.
In order to harmonise with the rest of the metal-work, the screws by which the rigging is set up are all of gun-metal, instead of the galvanised iron usually employed for the purpose.
Round the entire gunwale there runs a steel-wire ridge-rope, supported on brass stanchions, so that anyone moving about the deck in heavy weather may have something to hold on by.
In front of the mast there is a ladder made of steel-wire rope with wooden steps, leading from the deck to the crosstrees, which is very convenient in case anything has to be done aloft. This ladder is set up to the deck with brass screws, similar to those used for the rigging.
On the top of the cabin, in front of the steersman andbetween the gipsy winches, is a lifeboat liquid-compass fitted with a binnacle, the compass, like almost every fitting on board, being made to ship and unship, so as to be stowed out of the way when not in use (figs. 18 and 19).
As the little vessel when abroad was frequently sailed in the winter months, when, even in the Mediterranean, it is somewhat bitterly cold, a brass charcoal stove or chafing-dish of the kind used in Turkey, and there called a 'mangal,' is fitted at the bottom of the cockpit. It is covered with a brass grating, which forms a floor for the helmsman to stand on; and the heat from below keeps him comfortably warm, even in the coldest weather.
Another provision against the weather is a large umbrella for the use of any lady passenger when sailing under a strong sun. When in use the handle is fitted into a socket on the coaming of the hatchway, the socket being fitted with a universal joint, so that the umbrella may be adjusted in any desired position. There are two sockets, one on either side of the cockpit, in order that the umbrella may be carried on whichever side is most convenient (fig. 20).
On either side of the gunwale aft is fitted a brass crutch for supporting the main boom when the vessel is at anchor (fig. 21). At sea the clutches also serve the purpose of receiving the topsail-yard, one end of which is stowed in a crutch, while the other is made fast with a tying to the outside of the main rigging, thus getting rid of the inconvenience of having such a long spar on deck.
A very important fitting is a hatch by which the cockpit can be completely covered in in heavy weather. The hatch is made in sections hinged together, its two halves being also hinged to the back of the seats in the cockpit on either side. When unfolded and fixed in position it covers the entire cockpit, with the exception of a small circular opening left for the steersman, and the vessel is rendered almost as water-tight as a corked bottle. This small circular opening can also be closed, if necessary, by a wooden-hinged cover made for the purpose.
Most of the running rigging is of white cotton rope, which looks exceedingly smart and has answered its purpose fairly well; but it has not the durability of manilla, and when wet it has a great tendency to kink.
The cabin is very plainly fitted up, and is without berths or seats, its only furniture being some racks and cupboards used for stowing away a few necessary articles. When anyone sleeps on board, a mattress is spread on the floor and forms a very comfortable bed.
Lord Dufferin's 'Foam,' R.Y.S. 'In high latitudes,' 1856.
Lord Dufferin's 'Foam,' R.Y.S. 'In high latitudes,' 1856.
In the cabin there is carried, folded up, a 10-ft. Berthon dinghy, which can be expanded and launched in a few minutes. This does away with the necessity of towing a dinghy, while there is not room to carry one on deck.
In conclusion, it may be said that 'The Lady Hermione' presents a very smart appearance and is an extraordinarily good sea-boat. The writer has frequently seen her out in the Gulf of Naples in weather which even the largest native craft wouldnot venture to face. She is also admirably sailed by her owner, and it is a great pleasure to watch her being handled by him under sail, everything being done with great method and system and in a highly seamanlike style. Her cruising ground has now been transferred to the stormier regions of the English Channel; and two summers ago she was sailed to Trouville, where she remained for some time, running back to the Solent in October in half a gale of wind, during which she behaved admirably, and made better weather than many large vessels could have done.
This paper has run to a greater length than the writer at first intended; but he trusts he will be forgiven in consideration of his having made known to his fellow-yachtsmen the existence of what is really a most unique and wonderful little craft. A model of her hull was included in Messrs. Forrest & Son's exhibit in the late Naval Exhibition at Chelsea, and it is to be regretted that the vessel herself, or, at all events, an accurate model showing her rigging and all her fittings, was not on view also, for she would not have been by any means the least attractive of the many nautical objects of interest contained in the collection in question, which has done so much to make the British public acquainted with the maritime history and greatness of their country.
View from the Royal Western Yacht Club, Plymouth.
View from the Royal Western Yacht Club, Plymouth.
No wonder Plymouth was early in the field with yachting, in view of the tempting facilities for every variety of aquatic pastime which nature has there provided in the midst of lovely scenery, with shelter close at hand in case of sudden change of weather; in fact, the whole atmosphere is nautical with mighty precedents, for is not this the West-country long famed for mariners with stirring historical associations? Who can walk on the Hoe without thinking of Drake, of Armada fame, and the stout hearts that gathered round him in the hour of need for the defence of England against an overwhelming force?Plymouth is a delightfully picturesque spot. On the S.-W. is the seat of the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, where the timber is specially fine on the hills which afford shelter from the prevalent S.-W. wind, and blow it truly can on occasions, not infrequently at the Regatta time, when it is least wanted, now that the small raters are in such force. Still it is surprising what weather some of these little fellows make of it as they round the Breakwater. The present club-house of the Royal Western Yacht Club is situated at the west end of the Hoe. The view from the club-house is extremely fine. On the right the wooded heights of Mount Edgcumbe, with the Hamoaze beneath, a little to the right, also Drake's Island and the starting point for yacht and trawler racing; due south the great Breakwater, and in clear weather the new Eddystone Lighthouse. Bearing to the left beyond the Breakwater is the well-known 'Mewstone' and familiar 'Shag Rock,' whilst inside lie a variety of craft. Any foreign men-of-war visiting Plymouth generally bring up at this spot, and the training brigs 'Seaflower,' 'Pilot,' and 'Martin' give quite an idea of old days in the British Navy, impartingmuch life to the whole sea view, for the lads are always getting under way, or loosing sails, going out or coming in. On still to the left is a range of high hills running out to the Start Point and Prawle Point, and just beyond the Hoe to the eastward is the Catwater, where yachts get a snug berth clear of the entrance to the inner harbour full of trawlers and every possible variety of hookers, fishing craft, &c.
ROYAL WESTERN YACHT CLUB PLYMOUTH.
ROYAL WESTERN YACHT CLUB PLYMOUTH.
The Royal Western Yacht Club was established in 1827, and was at that time known as the Port of Plymouth Royal Clarence Regatta Club; in 1833 it became the Royal Western Yacht Club. H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex consented to become patron and H.R.H. the Duchess of Kent patroness, eight presidents were appointed, one of whom, Sir T. D. Acland, is still living in Devonshire. The vice-presidents, twenty-one in number, were all men of high position and great influence. A most interesting list of the yachts in 1835, giving the names of the boats, is still in the possession of the club. Unfortunately there is not space to print this in full, valuable as it would be as a record; still certain points must be noted. There were 43 yachts in the list: of these 17 were clinker-built, like the 'Harriet' cutter of Cowes, 96 tons, belonging to Sir B. R. Graham, Bart., a very handsome craft carrying a crew of eleven hands. Ten were carvel-built, 16 not classified. This was the period of general introduction of carvel surfaces. Sir T. D. Acland's yacht 'Lady St. Kilda' was the largest schooner and largest yacht belonging to the Royal Western Yacht Club. Her complement of hands was eleven. Another point worthy of attention is the proportion of rigs adopted: out of 43 vessels, 29 were cutters, 5 schooners, 4 yawls, 5 no rig given.
The regattas were held at first on the anniversary of the coronation of His Majesty George IV., and the members were to be distinguished by a uniform worn on the day of the regatta, and at such other times as they might think proper.
Undress: Short blue jacket with round collar, single-breasted—six buttons in front, and three on each cuff. Whiteor blue kerseymere waistcoat, with six buttons. White trousers. Blue and white shirt.
Full dress: Blue coat, with buttons on breast and cuffs. White kerseymere waistcoat. White shirt, black handkerchief, white trousers. The president, the vice-presidents, and the stewards were to have three buttons on a slash cuff, and to wear blue pantaloons.
The regatta takes place about September 1, when there is generally a great meeting. About four hundred members and one hundred yachts belong to the club. The Royal Navy contributes innumerable classes of craft to compete in the racing, whilst the trawlers and fishing vessels all come in for the sports, producing one of the most picturesque gatherings to be seen anywhere. The secretary is Capt. H. Holditch, who has kindly furnished the information here given.
The R.V.Y.C., established in 1844, made a strong start, as the foundation stone of the present house was laid by H.R.H. the Prince Consort in March 1846. It is well placed close to the end of Ryde Pier, having a commanding view of very wide range from its windows. The club has always been noted for its encouragement of yacht racing, and has endeavoured to bring about international contests. In 1890 a Gold Challenge Cup was instituted, value 600 guineas, subscribed for by the members, and the famous race for the trophy in 1893 between H.R.H. the Prince of Wales's 'Britannia' and Mr. Carroll's 'Navahoe' will be found described in the account of the sport which took place in that memorable year. The R.V.Y. Club at Ryde is often called the Red Squadron, in contradistinction to the R.Y.S. with the White Ensign.
In 1891 the club started regattas for the small classes which were then becoming so prominent. These have been warmly taken up and attended with great success.
ROYAL VICTORIA YACHT CLUB.
ROYAL VICTORIA YACHT CLUB.
International Gold Cup, Royal Victoria Yacht Club, 1883.Won by 'Britannia.'
International Gold Cup, Royal Victoria Yacht Club, 1883.Won by 'Britannia.'
There is yet another Challenge Cup in the hands of theCommittee, value 100 guineas. As yet it has not been sailed for, but it is decided that the course is to be in the open Channel, not less than 150 miles, such as Ryde, round Plymouth Breakwater, Cherbourg Breakwater, and back to Ryde for the finish. The Cup was presented by Mr. T. B. C. West, of 'Wendur' and 'Queen Mab' fame. Probably the length of the course has deterred competition; at least, a well-known skipper, Captain John Nichols, who sailed 'Alarm,' 'Mosquito,' and 'Cygnet,' always says that 'nine hours at the tiller is quite enough to do it properly'; and his experience spreads over many years and many a tough tussle formastery. Mr. Fife of Fairlie declares that the 'Cuckoo,' 90 tons, never showed her real capability until 'Captain John' sailed her. The Royal Victoria Yacht Club has recently added a very large room fronting the sea, and acquired a 'look-out' at the end of the Pier, which seems almost like sitting in an armchair at Spithead. The small raters have a good friend in the Secretary, Mr. Percy Thellusson, who dearly loves them, without neglecting in any way the interests of the larger craft.
An eccentric finish to a yacht race occurred in connection with this club, in the contest for Ryde Town Purse, August 11, 1892, and other prizes for smaller classes. There was a nice breeze from the eastward at 10A.M., and like a flight of swans the yachts were away together. At 2P.M., when off the Peel Bank, not a breath of wind was there to help them. The committee decided to run up signal to shorten course and conclude at the first round. No sooner was this done and carried out than a brave westerly breeze sprang up and brought in about fifteen of the craft, all classes together, both great and small, all with feathered bows. The whole of the starters returned together within about ten minutes. The uncertainty of the turf is proverbial, but the uncertainty of the sea is no less remarkable.
'Princess Royal,'steamer 'Leda,''Seagull,''Hebe,''Phœbe.'First race of Mersey Yacht Club, June 16, 1845.
'Princess Royal,'steamer 'Leda,''Seagull,''Hebe,''Phœbe.'First race of Mersey Yacht Club, June 16, 1845.
'Queen of the Ocean,' R.M.Y.C., Commodore Littledale,saving emigrants from 'Ocean Monarch,' August 24, 1848.
'Queen of the Ocean,' R.M.Y.C., Commodore Littledale,saving emigrants from 'Ocean Monarch,' August 24, 1848.
This club, which was established in 1844, originally had its headquarters at Liverpool, the first commodore having been Dr. Grinwood, whose brother is now the only original member left. About 1878 the club quarters were moved to a large house in Birkenhead, close to the river, on the banks of which a pavilion has been constructed, as well as a large slip and two gridirons. During the whole time the club has only had two honorary secretaries, the past and the present. To the late secretary, Mr. Henry Melling, we are indebted for the two illustrations (p. 47); he drew and published them himself, much to his credit, as valuable data showing the rig of thetime. The annual regatta is generally held at the latter end of June, the great drawback to Liverpool yachting being the tides and the bar, to diminish which great efforts are being made by dredging on an enormous scale. 1893 was the JubileeRegatta. This was a great success. 'Britannia,' 'Satanita,' 'Iverna,' took part in the races, which were accompanied by the club steamer, carrying the Commodore, Col. Gamble, C.B., and the Hon. Secretary, Captain James Gladstone.
ROYAL MERSEY YACHT CLUB.
ROYAL MERSEY YACHT CLUB.
Yacht Club Burgees.
Yacht Club Burgees.
The first illustration is most interesting as bearing the names of the yachts which sailed in the first match of the club, Monday, June 16, 1845. The bowlines on the luff of the gaff topsails should be particularly noticed as a feature of this period. The bowline is also shown in the drawing of the 'Cygnet,' 35 tons, in a following chapter on Thames Clubs.
The second outline represents the 'Queen of the Ocean' yacht, Commodore Littledale, R.M.Y.C., going to the rescue of the 'Ocean Monarch,' emigrant ship, on fire in Abergele Bay, North Wales, Thursday, August 24, 1848.
What the Clyde is to Scotland, and Kingstown and Queenstown are to Ireland, that the Solent and Southampton Water (which constitute the waters more or less shut off from the Channel by the Isle of Wight) are to the South of England. It is no matter of wonderment, then, that attempts should have been made from time to time, and dating back some generations, to form clubs which would have for their express purpose the encouragement of seamanship, and the racing and building of yachts.
To many old yachtsmen the 'ups and downs' of some of these societies which are still in existence form a history of no small interest; while the rise, doings, and fall of those now defunct ought to teach many valuable and important lessons to the officers and committees that are working hard for the prosperity and welfare of present day yacht clubs.
The club which above all others has tended to encourage the proficiency of amateur salts, so that they have become capable of manning, piloting, and steering their own or theirfriends' vessels to glory, is the Royal Portsmouth Corinthian Yacht Club. Instituted at a time when small-yacht sailing and amateur seamanship had little or no patronage from the big clubs, and when no ruling spirit appeared willing to come forward to help them on to any great degree, when the annual local regattas of the Itchen Ferry, Ryde, and Cowes Town, Southampton, and a few other seaside resorts, were the only opportunities afforded for sport and racing among the small fry, perhaps no club deserves more notice among those south of London than the one in question. Its birth took place at a meeting held on Saturday, May 22, 1880, in the committee-room of the Prince of Wales Club, High Street, Portsmouth, under the patronage of the late Admiral Ryder, R.N., and General H.S.H. Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, at that time the Commander-in-Chief and Governor of Portsmouth, Rear-Admiral the Honourable F. A. C. Foley, R.N., and Major-General Sir F. Fitz-Wygram, with Captain Garrett, R.A., in the chair. A provisional committee was elected, among whom were Messrs. W. Gilman, C. Johnson, Thomas and Charles McCheane, F. Ruck, R.E., W. C. Storey, W. V. Dickenson, 69th Regiment, J. Bewicke, 69th Regiment, Colonel Savory, Admiral Hallowes, Commander Britten, R.N., H.M.S. 'St. Vincent,' Captains Sutton, R. Kennedy, Rasch, the Reverends C. P. Grant, Vicar of Portsmouth, and J. F. Brown, R.C. Military Chaplain. General Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, Captain Garrett and Captain Sutton were the first officers appointed to serve as Commodore, Vice- and Rear-commodores, and Messrs. Gilman and C. McCheane with Captain Kennedy undertook other duties. Among the yachts owned at that period by the young club, the best known were the 'Vega,' 40 tons, belonging to Captain Garrett; Mr. Gilman's little 'Zephyr,' 11 tons (for many seasons one of the fastest of the old 12-ton class); and the 'Zoe,' one of the most successful 21-ft. boats on the Solent, which was fortunate in being owned and piloted by one of the best amateur helmsmen and sailormen in the south of England—the late Mr. C. Johnson, of Gosport.
ROYAL PORTSMOUTH CORINTHIAN YACHT CLUB.
ROYAL PORTSMOUTH CORINTHIAN YACHT CLUB.
At the third meeting the Yacht Racing Association rules were adopted, while the fourth settled that very much vext and troublesome question as to what constitutes 'a yachting amateur,' and accordingly drew out the rule that 'No person shall be considered an amateur who has been at any time engaged in the navigation or sailing of a yacht for pay,' the wording of which has since been altered to the following: 'An amateur is a gentleman who has never received pay for sailing in a fore-and-aft vessel, officers of the Royal Navy and Mercantile Marine excepted.' At the same meeting Mr. C. McCheane undertook the sole duties of honorary secretary in place of Captain Kennedy.
On June 26, 1880, the first regatta of the newly formed club was held, when five events were pulled off under the most favourable auspices. So successful was this first attempt at bringing the local boats together, that the next regatta, which was similar in its classes, brought out no fewer than eight entries in the race for the service boats of Her Majesty's ships, all of which were steered by naval members of the club, with the one exception of the 'Wren,' which, it is interesting to chronicle, was steered by Miss Foley, daughter of the Admiral commanding the Portsmouth Steam Reserve. She was the first lady member, and one of the first ladies—if indeed there was one before her—to pilot home the winning yacht in a race. Now that so many ladies enter into the sport of yacht racing and come out as famous helmswomen, the position held by Miss Foley is one to be proud of. In the fourth race Mr. Baden-Powell's old boat, the 'Diamond,' 5 tons, at this time owned by Messrs. Sutton, put in an appearance as a 25-ft. boat; and in the fifth race Mr. J. H. Baillie's 20-ft. boat 'Kate,' the earliest of Mr. Beavor Webb's outputs, entered.
'Madge,' 10 tons. Designed by G. L. Watson, 1880.
'Madge,' 10 tons. Designed by G. L. Watson, 1880.
Midship section
Midship section
Besides periodical regattas, the club was able to take in hand a good many matches, which were made up whenever a sufficient number of racing yachts to create sport happened to be lying off Southsea or about the port, and good prizes werealways forthcoming, for, as is the case in the Royal Alfred Yacht Club of Kingstown, all money was devoted at this time to racing purposes. The match held on the 14th of August, 1880, is a very fair example of what these extemporaneous races were like. It was for yachts of 20 tons and under. The entries included: 'Madge,' 10 tons, Mr. J. Coats; 'Louise,' 20 tons; 'Euterpe,' 20 tons, Mr. Bayley; 'Freda,' 20 tons, Mr. Freke; 'Maggie,' 15 tons, Mr. Taylor; 'Viola,' 20 tons, Mr. Kelly; 'Sayonara,' 20 tons, Mr. G. W. Richardson. By the end of the first season the club had advanced to such a strong position in the eyes of yachting men and in the public estimation, that Her Majesty was pleased to accede to the request of the Commodore, Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, to have it made a Royal club, and accordinglycommanded that from May 27, 1880, the club should be styled the Royal Portsmouth Corinthian Yacht Club. Except perhaps in the cases of the Royal Cork, the Royal Yacht Squadron and Royal Highland, no yachting club has ever been known to grow so rapidly into popularity as to obtain the Royal warrant within the space of less than six months.
The season of 1881 began on April 6 with a yacht tonnage of 3,569 tons and 220 members belonging to the club. The year was an important one in its annals, for some of the best known of yachtsmen became members of the community. Captain Garrett gave up the Vice-Commodoreship, and was succeeded by Captain F. Sutton, late 11th Hussars, whilst Admiral Byng undertook the office vacated by Captain Sutton.
The greater number of those who had up to this time joined the Royal Portsmouth Corinthian Yacht Club were yachting members, and lived in all parts of the United Kingdom. The opening regatta was held on the glorious 4th of June, so dear to Eton and other memories. It witnessed the entry, in the race for yachts of 11 to 25 tons, of that favourite old 20-ton clipper the 'Vanessa,' and the old Fairlie 25-tonner 'Santry.' The courses this year finished between a mark-boat and the Southsea Pier.
At the third regatta another famous old ship threw down the glove to the 'Gadfly' and Mr. Arthur Glennie's 'Sonata,' viz. the 16-ton 'Satanella.' On August 13, by the special command of Her Majesty, the club had the honour of holding its Annual Royal Regatta in Osborne Bay. The entries were large for all the items of the programme, no fewer than twelve boats starting in a class for 30 ft. and under, and thirty-one for the race for centreboarders. In this last race the Prince of Wales sailed his little crack 'Belle Lurette,' and won the second prize. In the race for yachts of 40 tons and upwards the 'Samœna,' 'Annasona,' and 'Sleuthhound' started. It may be stated here, that on the day of the regatta the club had 400 names on its list of members, the greater number of whom claimed some pretensions to being yachtsmen. Thiswas a rapid increase of 180 in less than four months, and distinctly proved that the club was already satisfactorily filling the much-desired need on the Solent, and it was most gratifying to those who had given their time and their energy towards the success of the venture that nothing but praise poured in from all quarters, because of the perfect organisation with which all regattas, matches, and general arrangements were carried out. Perhaps it is not too much to say here that the club owed much at this period of its existence to its honorary secretary, the late Mr. Charles McCheane, whose unflagging zeal and well-known gift of organisation helped to a very considerable extent to bring about the prestige which it was beginning to enjoy.
One great feature of the season of 1881 was the addition of a rule allowing any boat that had been hired by a member for a space of over three months to enter for the club races, in order to give every encouragement to the sport of yacht-racing. Many have been the times that such a rule has been begged for by yachtsmen, especially tiros at the game; but the Yacht Racing Association, and, in fact, all Royal Yacht Clubs with the exception of the Royal Portsmouth Corinthian, have placed a veto on any proposition which included in any way its introduction. With the Royal Portsmouth Corinthian the rule proved in the early days of the club a great success, but latterly, as yacht tonnage was added to the club and members became provided with their own ships, the rule gradually died out, till at last it has disappeared altogether from the Book of Rules and Regulations.
The year 1882 was notable chiefly for the introduction of a new class in the regatta programmes, viz. that for 3-tonners. Four of these little vessels did battle in all kinds of weather and proved most successfully how much power and what fine sea-going qualities can be obtained by length and depth with almost a minimum of beam. Mr. Wynne Eyton and Mr. Quilter designed and raced the composite built 'Mascotte,' Mr. A. W. Courtney the 'Naiad,' the late Lord Francis Cecil the 'Chittywee,'and Lord Ailsa and Mr. Baden-Powell the 'Snarley Yow.' Of these the 'Chittywee' was the best all-round boat, though the 'Mascotte' gave her all she could do to beat her.
In the small length classes, the 20-ft. 'Kate,' which had become the property of the Honorary Secretary during the winter of 1881, came to the fore in a remarkable manner, saving her time when necessary, and giving all comers a fair beating. The next year, however, witnessed her total defeat by Mr. Popham's little 'Bird of Freedom,' a boat that is still to the fore.
The Annual Royal Regatta of 1883 was held as before at Osborne Bay, and proved a complete success, and the club could now boast of a patronage second only to that of the Royal Yacht Squadron. The programme on August 11, the day of the regatta, exhibited a great advance on those of the two previous years, as the classes ranged more after the fashionable formulæ, viz. for yachts of 40 tons and under, 20 and over 14, 14 and over 9 tons. The race for 40-ton yachts fell through, but was afterwards sailed on August 22, when the 'Annasona,' 'Tara,' 'Sleuthhound,' 'Phryne,' and 'Silver Star' crossed the line, and 'Tara' and 'Silver Star' (their first appearance under the flag of the Royal Portsmouth Club) came in first and second. Among the twenties, which showed up for the first time, were the 'Freda' and two well-known old warriors from St. George's Channel, the 'Quickstep' and 'Challenge.' In the race for 10-tonners the 'Ulidia,' designed by Mr. W. Fife, jun., was the new addition to the club, and she fought it out with the 'Buttercup,' this latter favourite being thoroughly beaten on all points of sailing.
During the year of 1884 the prosperity of the club was decidedly on the increase. In the first place, during the winter, the premises in the High Street, Portsmouth, which had up to this time formed the Prince of Wales's Club House, had been bought, altered and improved to suit the club's requirements. As it stands now, it is one of the most comfortable club-houses in the South of England.
The club also opened on Southsea Beach a Station House of its own, which has telephonic communications with the house in High Street, and all parts of the towns of Portsmouth and Southampton. It consists of a railed-off space, sufficient to allow of a fair frontage, besides room for the flagstaff, guns, and all such necessary fittings. The building is a very comfortable cabin, with all modern conveniences. The telephonic communication with Southampton is of the greatest possible service, as most of the small raters make the Itchen and its precincts their home.
On June 7 in this year, the custom (which has now died out) of having an opening cruise under the club officers was originated. Nothing can make up for the teaching which manœuvring under sail affords, and it is a great pity more of such cruises do not take place, and that at regular intervals.
The officers of the club had remained the same up to this year, when Admiral Byng gave up the Rear-Commodoreship in favour of Mr. J. R. West. One of the great features of the season was the recognition of the foot classes, which became so popular during the following four years. The first and second regattas introduced races for boats or yachts of 25 feet and 30 feet on the load water-line. In the latter class the 'Eclipse' and 'Keepsake' were competitors, the 'Eclipse' being the better of the two boats; and in the former the 'Daphne,' 'Wave,' and 'Lil' were the three to race, the 'Lil' being the principal winner. The Annual Royal Regatta, owing to the sad bereavement that had visited the Court, took place by royal command off Bembridge, instead of in Osborne Bay as heretofore. No fewer than fourteen items constituted the programme, of which the most interesting was the ten-ton match between the 'Ulidia' and 'Ulerin,' representatives of Messrs. Fife and Watson, the great Scotch yacht designers. On August 16 a fine match was brought off, and the amateurs' powers put to the test, when 'A Corinthian Plate,' a very handsome piece of silver work, weighing134 ozs., was sailed for by the 'Genesta,' 'Marguerite,' and 'Irex.'
Perhaps the most sporting matches that have been sailed under the red burgee with crown, star, and half-moon in centre, were three that sprang out of a race for yachts of 20 tons and under, and took place at the last regatta of the season. On this occasion the 'Enriqueta,' 20-ton (cutter that was, but at this time a) yawl, snatched, by some few seconds on time allowance, first honours from the old 'Quickstep.' On the Monday following the regatta a friendly match was sailed between the two vessels, ending with the same result as on the Saturday. Two matches were then arranged to be sailed on the next and following days, the conditions of which were that amateurs alone were to man one yacht, while professionals were to take charge of the other. No pilot was to be allowed, and the prize was to be 1l.from each amateur should the professionals win, and a sixpenny pipe from each professional should the amateurs be successful. Lots to be drawn for the choice of yacht in the first race, yachts to be exchanged for the second.
The result of the lots on the Tuesday gave the amateurs the choice of ships, and they took the 'Enriqueta.' The course was across an imaginary line from the Signal Station flagstaff to the mark-boat, round the Spit buoy, Warner Lightship and East Sturbridge buoy, leaving all on the starboard hand, thence round the Spit buoy and mark-boat on port hand, to finish between the mark-boat on port hand and Signal Station. Twice round, 20 miles.