1665.

June 3rd.  Great sea fight off Lowestoft, when the Dutch Admiral (Opdam) was defeated.

Every person receiving parish relief ordered to wear a pewter badge on the left arm, which was called “the badge of poverty.”

John Carter, twice Bailiff, and one of the Elders, died, aged 73.

Town farthings coined by the Overseers “for the use of the poor.”  In 1673 they were cried down, and the town fined £90 for setting up a local mint.  Lord Townshend petitioned the King on their behalf that he would pardon their offence.

Twenty-two thousand seven hundred and sixty chaldrons of coal imported.

An Act of Parliament passed appointing Haven Commissioners, viz., three for Norfolk, three for Suffolk, two for Norwich, and two for Yarmouth.

April 21st.  Mitchell Mew, twice Bailiff, and once Mayor, died, aged 71 years.

Sep. 27th.  Charles II. visited Yarmouth, accompanied by the Dukes of York, Monmouth, and Buckingham, and publicly entertained at a cost of £1,000.—The Corporation presented the King with four golden herrings and a chain, value £250.  The King knighted three gentlemen of the Council.

May 28th.  Duke of York, commander of the English fleet, defeated the Dutch fleet under De Ruyter, in Sole Bay, or Southwold Bay.  The guns were heard at Yarmouth, and the sick and wounded afterwards brought here.  Yarmouth sent presents of wine, sheep, lambs, lemons, fowls, and fish to the Duke of York, previous to the engagement.

April 8th.  William Burton, sen., twice Bailiff of the town, died, aged 65 years.

Son of Sir William Paston created Baron Paston and Viscount Yarmouth; also created Earl of Yarmouth in 1679.  In 1676 he was shot at and wounded while in his coach.  He died in 1682.

Robert Paston, Viscount Yarmouth, chosen High Steward of the Borough.

The famous “Yarmouth Troll Cart” in use.  At this date they were known by the name of “Yarmouth Coaches,” being more elegantly made, and let out to pleasure parties.

Bell factory supposed to have existed.

Haven expenses this year, £2,099 9s. 6d.

Grand celebration in Yarmouth on the marriage of William III., Prince of Orange, with Princess Mary.

Captain Booth executed in the town for stabbing a seaman.

The ground between the walls and the east side of the town, from the Market Place, along King Street to the Friars’ Lane, was sold for £2,265 17s. 6d., to sundry persons to build upon.

Bonfires, by order of the Corporation, made in the Market Place and other parts of the town, on the passing of the “Test Act” by both Houses of Parliament.

Sir W. Coventry, Knt., re-elected to Parliament, with Lord Huntingdon.

Richard Huntingdon and George England, Esqs., returned to Parliament.

Oct. 21st.  Sir William Gooch, Bart., born at Yarmouth.  Early in life he entered the army, and distinguished himself in the Rebellion of 1715.  George I. made him Lieutenant-Governor of Virginia in 1727; and in 1740 he was appointed Colonel of an American Regiment, and assisted at the memorable siege of Carthagena.  For his services he was promoted, being first made Brigadier and then Major-General, in which capacity, in 1747, he commanded in the expedition to Quebec.  Died at Bath, Dec. 17th, 1751.

The whole body of Freemen claimed a right of electing members for the town, and accordingly chose Sir James Johnson, Knt., and George England, Esq.  Before this, the Corporation had usually taken upon themselves this business, sometimes by a majority of the assembly, and sometimes by an inquest of six Aldermen and six Common Councilmen.

H.R.H. the Duke of York entertained to a sumptuous dinner in Yarmouth; afterwards embarked in the frigate “Gloucester,” but (May 6th) the vessel striking on the Leman and Ower sand, 12 leagues from Yarmouth,she filled with water, and the Duke escaped in a shallop, with Colonel Churchill, Earl of Aberdeen, Duke of Montrose, and a few other distinguished personages.

William Paston, Earl of Yarmouth, High Steward of the Borough.

Spire of St. Nicholas’ Church, being of wood and lead, set on fire by lightning.  John Grice received from the Corporation a piece of plate, value £10, for extinguishing it.

April 26th.  First Yarmouth Fair held.

May 7th.  John Hall, Esq., died, aged 61 years.  He was a merchant, Alderman by the old and new charters, and twice Bailiff of the town.

July 22nd.  The charter granted by which a Mayor was substituted for the 2 Bailiffs, 18 Aldermen instead of 36, and 36 Common Councilmen instead of 18.  By Charles II. a High Steward, a Recorder, a Sub-Steward, 2 Coroners, 2 Chamberlains, and a Clerk of the Courts were also appointed.  Southtown was added to the liberties of the Borough.  (See 1608, 1687, and 1763.)  This charter also empowered them to holdtwofairs yearly.  The instrument was brought from London by the eldest son of the Earl of Yarmouth to Haddiscoe, and given to George Ward, Esq., the first Mayor elected.  He, accompanied by a large train of carriages, and from 300 to 400 horsemen, proceeded to Haddiscoe to receive it.  Great rejoicing in the town.

Lady Yarmouth, wife of the above Earl, died.

The Corporation Sword of Justice, carried before the Mayor, adopted.

Sir Thomas Medowe, Mayor, being the second elected the same year.  Bailiffs prior to this year were chosen instead of Mayor.

Lord Huntingdon and George England, Esq., returned to Parliament; also in 1686 and 1688.

Town Charters surrendered to Charles II.

May 1st.  Earl of Yarmouth invited Sir A. Dean and Sir H. Shiers to view the Haven and Piers.  The latter was presented at the “Three Feathers” Inn with 100 guineas for his journey.  He also visited the town in 1687, accompanied by Lord Dartmouth, who recommended that a ship be sunk, or jetty made, northward of the north Pier, to prevent the sand from coming into the Haven, and that a basin be formed westward of the “brush,” with a sluice to let out the water forcibly into the Haven towards the latter ebb.

Lord Huntingdon and George England, Esq., elected by the Freemen to serve in Parliament.  The right of Freemen to vote was ever acquiesced in by the Corporation.

Aug. 12th.  Prince George of Denmark landed at Yarmouth, and went post to Windsor.

James II. ejected 5 Aldermen and 12 Common Councilmen from the Corporate Body; and in the following year 3 Aldermen and 4 Councilmen, and placed others in their stead.  This right of displacing the Corporate body was reserved by the King.

June 24th.  Tumult and riotous proceedings took place in the town through the bigoted conduct of King James II.

Lord Huntingdon and G. England, Esq., again elected, and sent to the Convention Parliament the same year.  Re-elected in 1690 and 1695.

Prince George of Denmark’s regiment of Dragoons sent to Yarmouth; and in 1696, two companies of Lieut.-General Bellasis’ Royal Fusiliers were quartered in the town.

The office of Mayor ceased, and the Government of the town again reverted to two Bailiffs, under King James II.’s proclamation.  This continued till the time of Queen Anne.  (See 1702.)

Haven expenses for the year, £2,323 5s. 4d.

Feb. 16th.  Prince of Orange and the Princess Mary proclaimed in the Market Place.

George England and Samuel Fuller, Esqs., returned to Parliament; also in 1695, 1698, and 1700.

May 16th.  Edmund Thaxter, Alderman and twice Bailiff, died, aged 62.

The Maces carried by the Mayor’s officers ordered to be made.  At New Romney are now (1884) two maces used here at Herring Fair.

Anthony Ellys, Bishop of St. David’s, and author of several theological works, was born at Yarmouth.  Died in 1761.

Oct. 18th.  William III. landed at Yarmouth, and received with great enthusiasm.  The Corporation spent £106 in entertaining him.

All Boroughs were reduced by proclamation to the same state of government as before the surrender of charters to Charles II.  (See 1702.)

Two hundred vessels and nearly 1,000 lives lost in one night off this coast.

Sept. 11th.  Thomas, second son of Sir George England, Alderman and twice Bailiff, died, aged 48 years.

Oct. 28th.  John Albertson, Esq., Alderman and Bailiff in 1655, died, aged 71 years.

A Bar having formed across the Harbour’s mouth, the dangerous state of the Haven was made known by the beat of a drum, and the inhabitants desired to cut and dig a “gut” or trench through the Bar.

Proposed to break up the streets and lay pipes to supply the inhabitants with spring water from a large reservoir, collected from the wells on the Denes.  Also in 1810.  (See 1835 and 1855.)

Corporation voted an address to the King upon his safe return, and peace with the French King.

John Nicholson and John Burton, Esqs., returned to Parliament.

June 30th.  George England, Esq., eldest son of Sir George, died, aged 58 years.  He was Recorder, and several times member of Parliament for the Borough.  (See 1693 and 1711.)

Fishermen’s Hospital (for 40 persons) erected by the Corporation.

The Corporation obtained a new charter, granted by Queen Anne, which again allowed them to choose a Mayor on Sept. 29th, instead of two Bailiffs.  (See 1692.)

Benjamin England and J. Nicholson, Esqs., returned to Parliament; also in 1705.

July 3rd.  Thomas Bradford, Esq., Mayor, died, aged 74 years.

March 11th.  Twenty-fifth and last Charter granted by Queen Anne, re-appointing certain governors of the town.  (See 1684.)  When the Parliamentary and Municipal Reform Acts were passed (1832 and 1835), the Mayor was again required to be chosen from the whole body of the Corporation, whether Aldermen or Town Councillors.

A dreadful Fire broke out at the north end of the town, and several houses were blown up to prevent its spreading.

April 30th.  Thomas Godfrey, twice Bailiff and many years Town Clerk of this Borough, died, aged 63 years.  He was succeeded by John Carlow, and at his decease in 1710 by Francis Turner.

The expenses of Yarmouth Haven amounted to £2,710 7s. 5d.

April 27th.  Thomas Bendish, Esq., died, aged 61 years.  He was a descendant of the ancient family of Sir Thomas Bendish, Bart., of Essex, who was ambassadorfrom Charles II. to the Grand Seigneur.  He married Bridget, daughter of H. Ireton, Esq., of Ireton, for some time Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

Hon. Roger Townshend and Richard Ferrier, Esq., returned to Parliament.

A Quaker had his Burgess Letter on taking his solemnaffirmationonly.

Nov. 7th.  William Browne, Esq., Mayor, died, aged 46 years.

Richard Ferrier and Benjamin England, Esqs., returned to Parliament.  Poll—F. 278; Eng. 269; Townshend 231; Ellys 173.  Also in 1713.

April 30th.  Benjamin England, Esq., third son of Sir George, died.  He was several times Bailiff, Mayor, and Member of Parliament for the Borough.

Henry Borrett, Esq., was Mayor, but dying before his term of office was completed, Samuel Wakeman, Esq., was chosen.

Ordered that no license be granted to any person to draw or retail ale or any other liquor at any house by the sea-side, except during the fishing seasons.

Oct. 3rd.  Twenty persons drowned on Breydon from the upsetting of a wherry.

An Act obtained for making a causeway over the Denes from Yarmouth to Caister.

The Charity School erected in the Market Place by a few benevolent persons; and in 1724 the Corporation built two large rooms.

First Town Hall built at a cost of £880.  (See April 20th, 1880, and May 31st, 1882.)

Mayors and Justices allowed to wear different gowns to those of other Corporate members.

St. George’s Episcopal Chapel finished building.  The contractors were Messrs. Price and Son, who built the Town Hall.  The Chapel was consecrated Dec. 8th, 1815.  Cost £3,800.

South Denes laid out as a race-course by John Holdrich and other innkeepers of Yarmouth; but annual races not held till 1810.

Easter Fair held on Good Friday until this date, when the Corporation ordered it to take place on the Friday following.

Geo. England, Esq., and the Hon. Horatio Townshend returned to Parliament.

It was agreed that the two last and every succeeding Mayor should receive £100 each, in lieu of the fishing thousand.

The Vicar’s house built by the Corporation.

An Act passed enforcing half the amount of ordinary duties on the Haven to be expended in improving the Haven, Piers, and Jetties; one-fourth part to be expended in deepening and cleansing the three rivers, and repairing the bridge and public quays at Yarmouth; and the remaining fourth part in cleansing and deepening Breydon.

Oct. 2nd.  William Spooner, Bailiff, and afterwards Mayor, died, aged 67 years.

Hon. Charles Townshend and Hon. Horatio Walpole returned to Parliament.  The latter created a Baronet in 1756.

Guildhall, near St. Nicholas’ Church, pulled down and replaced by an unsightly building, where Corporate assemblies were held till 1835.

The Charity School for 50 boys and 30 girls was built by subscription.  (See, 1713).

Jan. 28th.  James Artis, Esq., Bailiff, Mayor, and Captain of Fusiliers, died, aged 68 years.

Corbridge published his “West Prospect of Yarmouth.”  Buck published one in 1741; and Laing’s Map came out in 1867.

July 14th.  Mrs. Bridget Bendish, granddaughter of Oliver Cromwell, died at Southtown.

Hon. W. Townshend and Hon. Horatio Walpole returned to Parliament.

TheNorwich Mercuryof this date says:—“The persons appointed for choosing a Mayor for the town of Great Yarmouth (according to custom) were locked up in a room on Tuesday last at 12 o’clock, and did not determine the election till 9 o’clock on Thursday morning, when Samuel Artis, Esq., a gentleman of known loyalty and integrity, was declared Mayor-Elect for the year ensuing, to the great disappointment of the Tories.”

The Pillory removed.

£50 raised by the town for the relief of the English prisoners at Mequinez.

July.  A remarkable storm and tempest; hailstones of prodigious magnitude fell.

Sir Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.

Dec. 20th.  Organ now at the Parish Church first opened.  The Rev. Thos. Macro, D.D., minister of Yarmouth, preached the sermon on “The Melody of the Heart.”—Eph.5, 19verse.  (See Jan. 25th, 1869.)

A poor fisherman named Danby obtained a verdict, with £15 damages, against William Brown, Esq. (the Mayor), Justice Artis, and Masters (the Bridewell man), for whipping and false imprisoning the plaintiff.

The Mayor’s gold chain and medal appendant having the arms of the Corporation on one side, and a ship under sail on the reverse, to be worn by every Mayor for ever.  (See 1746.)  It was subscribed for.  The cost of the chain alone was £141 18s. 3d.

Organ at St. George’s Chapel built by Jordan.

Hon. Edward Walpole and the Hon. William Townshend returned to Parliament, but the latter dying in 1737, was succeeded by his brother, the Hon. Roger Townshend.

Sarah Johnson, a widow, was whipped upon a cart round the Market Place, for stealing three gold rings and a silver spoon.  In 1763 two sailors were served in like manner, receiving four lashes under each public-house sign for stealing merchandise.

Elizabeth Thompson hanged for the murder of a Dutchman in the Gaol-row.

Jan. 14th.  George II. landed a few miles south of Yarmouth.

Sir R. Walpole sent 50 guineas to be expended in coal for the poor.

Robert Ferrier appointed Town Clerk, and eleven years afterwards he filled the civic chair.

Chris. Bernard, Esq., elected Mayor, but died before completing his term of office.

Expenses of Yarmouth Haven were £3,299 15s. 9d.

Amelia Sophia de Walmoden, presumed to have been the mistress of George II., was created Baroness and Countess of Yarmouth for life.  She died in 1750.

Hon. Roger Townshend and E. Walpole, Esq., returned to Parliament.  Votes—T., 400, W., 391; Howling Luston, 104; Richard Fuller, 97.

John Thacker hanged for killing John Auger with a pistol ball in a shop near the “Wheel of Fortune.”

The inquest, chosen for electing a Mayor, locked up in the Guildhall for ten days; in 1765, six days; in 1767, three days and three nights; and in 1814, fifty-four hours.

Samuel Killett, Esq., Alderman, gave the Corporation of Yarmouth a silver oar, double gilt, the insignia of the Admiralty Court.

Ancient Order of Foresters first formed.

Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, High Steward of the Borough.

Nov. 25th.  Mayor’s medal appendant sold; its value applied for adding links to the chain, the two being valued at £166.  (See 1734.)

Hon. E. Walpole and the Hon. Chas. Townshend elected to Parliament.

The Cage or Stock-house removed.

Nov. 30th.  John Dobson Tongue hanged for robbing Mr. Halsden on the Southtown-road.

Oct. 13th.  John Sullivan hanged for robbing Mrs. Meed on the Denes.

John Barcham, mariner, executed for the murder of Robert Bullen.

An Act passed appointing a committee of twelve inhabitants of Yarmouth to inspect the Haven works, and to summon the Commissioners in cases of need.

Mrs. Cromwell, lineally descended from Oliver Cromwell, died at Yarmouth, at an advanced age.

A live infant named Sarah Pycraft found in a basket in St. Nicholas’ Churchyard, and was taken to the Workhouse, where she died 96 years afterwards.

George Walpole, Earl of Orford, High Steward of the Borough.

Dr. John Butler, minister at St. Nicholas’ Church, and afterwards Bishop of Oxford and Hereford.  He died in 1802.

An Act passed to open the port of Yarmouth for the importation of wool and woollen yarn from Ireland.

Chris. Taylor, Esq., Mayor, died before completing his term of office, and was succeeded by Giles Wakeman.

The Gallows-house on the North Denes removed.

Expenses of Yarmouth Haven amounted to £3,360 3s. 9d.

April 18th.  Right Hon. C. Townshend and his former colleague, then Sir E. Walpole, K.B., and Chief Secretary for Ireland, elected to Parliament.  Votes—T., 541; W., 518; R. Fuller, 397; and William Browne, 342.

Mr. Thos. Olivers made an unsuccessful attempt to introduce Methodism into the town.  He and a friend were assailed on the Sunday with dirt, stones, and missiles of every description without mercy, and driven out of the town.  Mr. Howell Harris made an attempt in 1760, which was more successful, though at great risk of his life.

July 23rd.  William Burton, M.D., died, aged 53.

Sept. 1st.  Naval engagement off Lowestoft between H.M.S. “Hazard” and a French privateer, “La Subtille,” carrying 12 guns and 86 men.  After six hours the Frenchman struck off Winterton, and the next day (Sunday) the prisoners were landed and lodged in gaol.  By undermining the prison wall, fourteen broke out, and only four were retaken.

C. Townshend, Esq., of Honingham, a cousin to the Hon. Charles, was elected to Parliament by a majority of 32 votes, on the latter accepting the office of Treasurer of his Majesty’s Chamber.  Mr. C. Townshend was elected eight times in thirty-three years.

An Act for the better recovery of small debts within the liberties of the Borough obtained.

Oct. 7th.  Joseph Ames, F.R.S., died.  He was born at Yarmouth on Jan. 23rd, 1688, and was the author of “Typographical Antiquities”; being an historical account of printing in England, with memoirs of our ancient printers, and a register of the books printed by them, from the year 1471 to 1600, with an appendix concerning printing in Scotland and Ireland to the same time.  It was dedicated to Philip, Earl of Hardwick, Lord High Chancellor of England.  He was originally a piano maker, and afterwards a ship chandler at Wapping, which trade he carried on till his death.  He was a great lover of history.  In 1741 was appointed secretary of the Society of Antiquaries.  Mr. Ames printed a “Catalogue of English Printers from 1471 to 1700,” “An Index to Lord Pembroke’s Coins,” also “A Catalogue of English Heads, or an account of about 2,000 prints,” describing what is peculiar on each; he drew up the “Parentalia, or Memoirs of the Family of Wren.”  His collection of coins, curiosities, books, &c., were sold in 1760.  Among the latter was a copy of Tindall’s New Testament, supposed to be the only one which escaped the flames, when the Bishop of London (Tonstall) ordered them to be burnt.Vide“Timperley’s Encyclopedia of Literary and Typ. Anecdote,” 1842, p. 703.

Yarmouth Sea-baths built.  Cost £2,000.  A handsome public room added in 1785.

Terrible affray with the 2nd Dragoons (Scotch Greys) and 6th Irish Dragoons (Enniskilling), who were quartered in the town.  They attacked each other with swords.

John Willis, Esq., elected Mayor, but died before completing his term of office.

Hon. Sir Edward Walpole, K.B., and C. Townshend, Esq., returned to Parliament.

The number of boys and girls at the Hospital School reduced from 49 to 41.

Gorleston Parish, with the Hamlet of Southtown, in Mutford and Lothingland Hundreds (Suffolk) incorporated for the maintenance of the poor of its 24 parishes.  Also by an amended Act in 1833.

Dec. 10th.  Rev. Christopher Spendlove, sen., lecturer, of Yarmouth, died, aged 69 years.

Jan. 8th.  Much distress caused through the high price of food, and a subscription was opened and liberally supported by the inhabitants—60,138 quartern loaves, weighing 4 lbs. 14 ozs., at 3d. each, distributed for three months, among the poor till April 25th.

100 ft. of the Jetty carried away by high tide.

C. Townshend, Esq., returned to Parliament, with the Hon. Richard Walpole.  (Also in 1770, 1774, and 1780.)

Sept. 16th.  Elizabeth Martin executed for the murder of her illegitimate child.

April 18th.  The day of John Wilkes’s releasement from the Tower celebrated at Yarmouth with great rejoicings.  He was an eminent English politician.

Nov. 8th.  Rev. John Manclarke, minister of the parish, died, aged 38 years.

During a gale, thirty vessels and two hundred men lost.

Four of the Town Gates pulled down.

One guinea bounty offered to every able seaman at Yarmouth who would join the fleet to suppress the war with Spain.

“Clappermen” appointed to watch the vessels in the Harbour, and prevent any fire or light being used on board.

Jan. 11th.  Henry Swinden, a diligent antiquary, who for twenty years collected and digested a large mass of information respecting his native town, author of “History of Great Yarmouth,” died, the same year his work was published, and while the last sheet was in the press, aged 55 years.  (See 1776.)

Charles Townshend, Esq., and the Hon. Richard Walpole returned to Parliament.  Votes—T., 310; W., 310; W. Beckford, 218; Sir Charles Saunders, K.B., 216.  In 1777, Charles Townshend, Esq., vacated his seat, but was returned with W. Beckford, Esq.  Votes—T., 502; B., 199.

The overseers’ account for the past year, ending at Easter, was—Money received, £2,694 16s.; money paid (including everything, and a new building at £201 10s.) left a balance in hand of £61 15s. 7d.

The “Nine houses” at Southtown built by John Eggoty, on the site of public tea-gardens and cream house.

“The History and Antiquities of Yarmouth,” by the Rev. Charles Parkin, M.A., Rector of Oxburgh, published.

John Ives, F.R.S., F.S.A., died.  He was born at Yarmouth in 1730, and became eminent for his skill in antiquarian science.  He published “Manship’s History,” wrote the preface, and erected a marble monument in St. Nicholas’ Church to Manship’s memory.

Dec. 4th.  Theatre erected, and opened with the comedy of theEnglish Merchant.  Building cost £1,500.  Renovated in 1828.

Jan. 1st.  A tremendous storm and flood, and much damage done to shipping.

First Map of Yarmouth published by Mr. M. J. Armstrong.  It was prepared by Swinden in 1722.

March 6th.  A Monthly Book Club established by the Rev. R. Turner, B.D.

Armed Associations formed at Yarmouth.

William Penn, a pirate, hanged in London, and afterwards put on a gibbet on the North Denes.

Two batteries on the North Denes erected.

A fort erected on Gorleston heights, armed with six 24-pounders and a battery of nine 18-pounders, for the defence of St. Nicholas’ Gat.  An invasion expected.

The Fisheries protected by an armed force.

Parliamentary Reform agitated; and the town was filled with troops, much to the annoyance of the inhabitants.

An Act passed for the better securing the duties payable on the importation of coal and cinders.

The Norfolk Rangers first established.

The celebrated John Wesley preached in Yarmouth, and on Oct. the 22nd opened a chapel.  He paid the town several visits, the last in 1790, not five months before his death in 1791.  Aged 87.

Right Hon. C. Townshend re-elected to Parliament.

First Census taken.  Population 12,608.

Two vessels fitted out for the Greenland whale fishery.

Mr. S. Bream, of Yarmouth, advocated the extension of the North Pier for the removal of the Bar.  Mr. J. Nichalls, an engineer, suggested in a report that the river should be straightened, and a weir placed across the river near its junction with Breydon.

June 22nd.  A great part of the outward wall of the east end of the Parish Church fell down, and destroyed the tombs and gravestones to some distance.

Mr. Barrett died, aged 100 years.

Oct.  The Prince of Wales (afterwards Geo. IV.) invited by the Corporation to dine at the Town Hall.  Not accepted.

Sir John Jervis, K.B., returned to Parliament with H. Beaufoy, Esq.

Another town gate pulled down.

The Dutch sent over 87 boats for the herring fishery off our coast.

Wooden drawbridge across the stream near the Town Hall built, and existed till 1843.

Second drawbridge connecting Yarmouth with Southtown over the Yare re-built and opened to the public.

Josiah Curtis appointed town crier, an office which he held for 32 years.

Martha Stanninot, a peculiar woman known as “Queen Martha,” who fancied she should be Queen of England, lived and died in Row 28.

Nov. 1st.  Forty vessels driven ashore between Yarmouth and Southwold; 80 fishing boats wrecked, and 120 bodies washed ashore between Yarmouth and Cromer.

An appointed day of thanksgiving for the King’s recovery, and the town illuminated.

Seven hundred lasts of herrings taken by 180 boats.

June 18th.  Right Hon. Charles Townshend and Henry Beaufoy, Esq., returned to Parliament.  Votes—T., 632; B., 455; J. T. Sandys, 182.

A pottery established at Yarmouth.

George Townshend, Marquis Townshend, High Steward of the Borough.

Feb. 3rd.  Part of the Jetty carried away by a destructive high tide, and the Denes under water.  On the Southtown-road the water was deep enough for boats to ply.

Oct. 27th.  Riot on account of the dearness of provisions, but suppressed by the magistrates.

Feb. 7th.  House of Commons petitioned by Yarmouth for the abolition of slave trade.

May 29th.  The “Church and King Club” established, and first meeting held at the “Wrestler’s Inn.”

Dec.  Meeting held in Yarmouth, pledging themselves to support the Constitution of King, Lords, and Commons, as established in 1688.

Feb. 11th.  Embargo laid on all vessels at Yarmouth.

Feb. 28th.  H.M.S. “Savage” brought in the French privateer, “Custine,” she being the first prize taken in the war.

Matthew Champion died at the age of 111 years.

The title of Earl of Yarmouth was revived as the secondary title of the Marquis of Hertford.

July.  Subscription entered into and a benefit play performed at Yarmouth, for the relief of the widows and orphans of those killed on board the fleet in Lord Howe’s victory on June 1st.

May 29th.  On the death of H. Beaufoy, Esq., Colonel S. Howe was elected to Parliament with George Anson, Esq.  Votes—H., 483; A., 347.

Sir Edmund Lacon, Knt., Mayor.  This hon. gentleman was knighted for quelling the riot which began in the Market Place, occasioned by the high price of provisions.

The Distillery, on the site of the Silk Factory purchased by Government, and Barracks made of wood, erected there for 1,600 men.

Jan. 19th.  The illustrious fugitive, the Princess of Orange, with her daughter-in-law, little granddaughter, and the child’s nurse, accompanied by two gentlemen, embarked on board a fishing boat.  They took up their quarters in the hold of the vessel, and were covered with the sails as a defence against the inclement weather.  After being safely landed at Yarmouth, the military were drawn up, and their Royal Highnesses driven twice round the Market Place, and then entertained by the Mayor.  The Prince unexpectedly came also and took his wife away.  The next day the Duke of York visited Yarmouth for the purpose of welcoming them, and, though disappointed, was enthusiastically received by the inhabitants.

Another unfortunate Princess near landing on our shore.  Princess Caroline of Brunswick, accompanied by the English envoy, Lord Malmesbury, embarked at Cuxhaven on board the “Jupiter,” 50 guns, and through stress of weather came within six leagues of the Beach.

A line of packets to Cuxhaven was started from our Port, and the Dover and Harwich packets removed.

Congratulatory address from the Corporation and inhabitants of Yarmouth presented to George III. on his escape from the attack made on his person while proceeding to Parliament House.

June.  Lord C. P. T. Townshend and Colonel S. Howe returned to Parliament.  Lord Charles on the day following his election was found dead in his carriage, shot in the mouth by a pistol ball.  The same year (Oct. 26th), Major-General W. Loftus and H. Jodrell, Esq., were elected to Parliament.  Votes—L., 599; J., 561; Sir J. Jervis, K.B., 418.

June 25th.  First time that a squadron of men-of-war ships entered Yarmouth Roads.  There were 13 British and 3 Russian, under the command of Admiral Macbride.

Freedom of the Borough presented to Captain Trollope, for defeating 8 French ships of war off the coast of Holland.

Aug. 19th.  Whilst Thelwall, a political lecturer, was declaiming in a room at Yarmouth, a party of armed sailors from the ships in the Roads broke in, and in their attempt to seize the orator, knocked down every person who opposed them.  Upwards of 40 persons were wounded in the scuffle; the orator escaped unhurt.

June 1st.  Mutiny on board the North Sea Fleet at Yarmouth, and several sail of the line hoisted the red flag of defiance.

Sept. 18th.  Admiral Duncan assumed the command of the North Sea Fleet in the Roadstead,viceAdmiral Macbride.

Oct. 3rd.  Admiral Duncan put into Yarmouth Roads, and six days afterwards went in search of the Dutch fleet, which was totally defeated (Oct. 11th) off Camperdown.  The British fleet returned in triumph to Yarmouth Roads, bringing seven sail of the line as prizes.  The wounded men were landed and conveyed to the Barracks and to Norwich—there being no Naval Hospital.  Yarmouth for several days was thronged with visitors to see the victorious British fleet and their prizes.  A subscription was raised on behalf of the wounded.

A high tide nearly demolished the Bath House.

Somerset Militia quartered in the town.

Captain Rysoort, of the “Hercules” (one of Admiral Duncan’s prizes), died in Yarmouth, and was buried with military honours.

A boat on the river Breydon upset, and six out of seven youths drowned.

Freedom of the town presented to Lord Duncan and Sir Richard Onslow for their victories over the Dutch fleet; also to Earl St. Vincent for the victory over the Spanish fleet on the 14th of February.

Mutiny broke out at the Nore, and extended itself to the vessels in Yarmouth Roads, but was quickly suppressed.

Mar. 2nd.  Through financial pressure at the Bank of England, Yarmouth banks paid in their own notes, and fractional parts were paid in specie.

Two Volunteer Companies of Yeomanry Cavalry formed at Yarmouth under Samuel Barker and H. Worship, Esqs.

Oct. 1st.  Intelligence of Admiral Viscount Nelson’s ever memorable victory off the mouth of the Nile received at Yarmouth with great rejoicing.

Oct. 1st.  TheTimessays: At half-past twelve the following men-of-war in Yarmouth Roads got under weigh to cruise off the Texel:—“Monarch,” 74 guns, Admiral Sir Richard Onslow, Captain Sutton; “Monmouth,” 64, Deane; “Belligneux,” 64, England; “Ardent,” 64, Bertie; “Agamemnon,” 64, Fancourt.  Remaining in the Roads:—“Kent,” 74, Lord Duncan; “Ganges,” 74, Captain M’Dowall; “America,” 64, Smith; “Veteran,” 64, Mosse; “Glatton,” 54, Cobb; with the “Europa” and “Mististoff” men-of-war.

Sept. 28th.  The Duke of York’s army returned from an unsuccessful campaign, and the Guards and 24 other regiments, comprising 25,000 troops (infantry and cavalry), were landed at Yarmouth on their return from Holland.

An embargo laid on all shipping at Yarmouth.

Hospital for sick and wounded soldiers erected on the site of Grout’s Silk Factory.  The wounded from Copenhagen were taken here.

Sept. 25th.  Freedom of the Borough voted to Sir A. Dickson and Mr. Pitt.

Nov. 6th.  Admiral Lord Nelson landed here after the battle of Aboukir, having been absent 2½ years from his native county, and was presented with an enthusiastic welcome and the freedom of the town.  He stayed at the “Wrestler’s” Inn, Church Plain, and in a speech he made there, said, “I am myself a Norfolk man, and I glory in being so.”  When he subsequently visited the Parish Church, the organ played, “See theConquering Hero comes.”  He was accompanied by Lady and Sir William Hamilton.

Nov. 20th.  The herring fishery off Yarmouth was unusually productive this year, the catch being so great that one of Mr. Batley’s boats, after taking on board 14 lasts, was obliged to throw two lasts overboard.

Jan. 1st.  This day being the first of the 19th century, and the day on which the union of Great Britain and Ireland took place, the Durham Militia fired afeu de joieat Yarmouth; and the ships in the Roadstead gave a royal salute and hoisted their new colours in honour of the union.

Mar. 7th.  The St. “George,” carrying 98 guns, and bearing the flag of Lord Nelson, arrived in the Roadstead.

Mar. 12th.  The grand fleet of 47 ships of war, with 3,000 mariners, under the command of Admiral Sir Hyde Parker in the “London,” 98 guns, with Lord Nelson as his Vice-Admiral, sailed from Yarmouth, and proceeded, after they had been joined by seven sail of the line in Leith Roads, to Copenhagen to destroy the Danish navy.

Mar. 16th.  The “Invincible,” 74 guns (built in 1766), Rear-Admiral Totty, on her way to join the grand fleet, got on the ridge near Hasbro’ Sand, and remained till daybreak next morning, but had no sooner floated into deep water than she went down with her captain (J. Lawford), several officers, and about 300 men.  By the exertions of Daniel Grigson, master of the cod-smack, “Nancy,” the Admiral, 7 officers, and about 190 of the crew, were saved.

April 14th.  Intelligence received at Yarmouth of the destruction of the Danish navy in Copenhagen by the British fleet, on April 2nd, after four hours’ fighting.  Great rejoicing in this town and country generally.

July 1st.  Owing to Lord Nelson’s ill-health he again landed at the Jetty from the gun-brig, “Kite.”

Nov. 2nd.  The Prince of Orange arrived at Yarmouth from London, and on the 6th sailed in the packet “Diana,” for Cuxhaven.

Census taken.  Population of Yarmouth, 14,854; with Gorleston and Southtown, 16,573.

The batteries erected on the verge of the beach, and mounted with 32-pounders.  The harbour was also defended on each side by two bastions of a mural construction.  They were dismounted after the general peace, and guns returned to Woolwich.

Jan. 6th.  The Public Library first instituted by a certain number of subscribers.  In 1808 the Corporation granted the lease of the present building.  The Dutch clock (removed in 1861) was erected on the exterior in 1600, when the building was used as a Dutch Chapel by the Hollanders; was afterwards used as an English Chapel, and previous to the Theatre being built the back premises were converted into a room for dramatic entertainments.  New Reading Room opened Feb. 19th, 1859.

May 5th.  The town illuminated on the proclamation of peace.

May 24th.  The Duke of Cambridge sailed from Yarmouth in the frigate, “Amphion,” for Hanover, of which kingdom he was appointed Regent.  (See June 13th, 1803.)

June 28th.  Custom House opened.

July.  Rear-Admiral Sir Thomas Trowbridge, Bart., and Thomas Jervis, Esq., returned to Parliament.  The boat built for Sir Thomas to be chaired in, made of oak, 14 ft. long, and 3 ft. 9 in. wide, is still preserved (1884).  On the stern is “Trowbridge and the Navy,” under which is a naval crown and trophy.  It was built by Mr. James Hurry.

Three hundred persons impressed, but 250 were afterwards liberated.  (See 1805.)

Montgomeryshire and Cheshire Militia left the town.

May 5th.  An active press at Yarmouth.

May 16th.  Embargo laid on all vessels in the Roads.

June 13th.  H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge and suite left Yarmouth for Norwich.  They came in the samefrigate which brought Prince William of Gloucester from Cuxhaven, where their Royal Highnesses were nearly being made prisoners by the advanced guard of the French army.  Had they remained there another hour they would have shared the fate of the Hanoverian army.  The French General in Holland put an immense number of fishing boats in requisition for the avowed purpose of invading England.

Oct. 25th.  The Volunteer Regiments in Norfolk and Norwich resolved to perform permanent duty in Yarmouth in case of an invasion, and on Nov. the 9th two troops of Norfolk Rangers (established 1782), headed by the Marquis Townshend, the Lord Lieutenant, and commanded by Captain Sir M. B. Ffolkes, Bart., and Capt. Beauchamp, marched to Yarmouth on permanent duty; also the Norwich and the Fakenham Volunteers.

Nov. 5th.  The Lord Lieutenants of the maritime counties received warrants under his Majesty’s sign-manual, commanding them, “as there was actual appearance of invasion,” to give the necessary orders in pursuance of the late statute, that on the approach of the enemy all waggons and carts, cattle, and stores of corn, likely to fall into their hands, be removed or destroyed, and also that all women and children be likewise removed.  The proprietors to be indemnified.

Nov. 7th.  Lieut.-Col. Harvey’s battalion of Norwich Volunteers arrived here for garrison duty; also the Norfolk Rangers and Norwich and Fakenham Corps.

Nov. 10th.  The Yarmouth Volunteer Infantry received their colours (presented by the Corporation) from the hands of the Mayoress.

Dec. 6th.  On the Norwich Volunteers’ return to Norwich, this regiment was succeeded in their fortnight’s garrison duty by the Yarmouth Volunteer Infantry (550), commanded by Lieut.-Colonel Gould.

Dec. 15th.  The Lynn and Freebridge Yeomanry Cavalry, with the Artillery and Rifle Corps, marched through Norwich to Yarmouth, to relieve the Dereham and South Erpingham troops.

Dec. 22nd.  The Dereham and Swaffham troops of Yeomanry Cavalry marched through Norwich for Yarmouth, to relieve the Lynn and Freebridge troops; and the Diss, North Walsham, Wells, and Old Buckenham Volunteer Companies of Infantry marched into Yarmouth for a fortnight’s duty.

Dec. 30th.  The Hingham and Wymondham troops marched to Yarmouth, to relieve the Swaffham and Dereham troops.

Tower and spire of St. Nicholas’ Church removed; rebuilt in 1807 at a cost of £1,890.  (See 1806.)

The Militia regiments of the county assembled at Yarmouth and were embodied.

April 4th.  The “Antelope,” (Commodore Sir W. Sydney Smith,) the brig “Cruizer,” and the cutter “Prince of Wales,” arrived at Yarmouth, from the Flushing station, which made an unsuccessful attempt to cut out an armed brig near the Scaw.  They were attacked by an armed schooner, and obliged to abandon their enterprize, with the loss of five killed and ten wounded.

April 11th.  Rear-Admiral Sir W. Sydney Smith left Yarmouth for Norwich.  The hero of St. Jean d’Acre proceeded next day on a tour of the country before accompanying the King of Portugal to Brazil.

May 2nd.  The gibbet on which Payne was hung in 1781 taken down by order of the Corporation.

May 14th.  Lynn Volunteers and (May 26th) North Walsham Light Infantry, came for a fortnight’s training.

The first newspaper,The Yarmouth Herald, printed in the town by a Mr. Black.

May 23rd.  Blickling and Gunton Rifle Corps arrived here for a fortnight’s garrison duty.

May 25th.  A general fast observed.  The Shropshire Militia and the Volunteers at Yarmouth (nearly 25,000 men) attended divine service.

May 26th.  The sloop “Helena,” 20 guns, and on Sept. 4th the brig “Musquito,” 18 guns, launched from Mr. J. Preston’s yard.

Sept. 6th.  Sloop of war “Cygnet,” 18 guns, launched from Mr. Nathaniel Palmer’s yard.

Oct. 28th.  Lord Viscount Chedworth, of Ipswich, died worth £500,000.  Thomas Penrice, Esq., surgeon, of Yarmouth, was left a legacy of £20,000 and also residuary legatee, by which he came into possession of at least £300,000.

Nov. 26th.  The Corporation and merchants of Yarmouth voted their thanks to Captain Hancock and his officers for capturing the notorious Blackman, who commanded a French privateer of 18 guns, and 98 prisoners were also taken.

Nov. 22nd.  The “Romney,” 50 guns, which sailed from Yarmouth Roadstead on the 18th with bullocks and vegetables for the blockading fleet off the Texel, under Admiral Russell, was lost in a dreadful gale of wind on the South Haak Sand.  All the officers and crew saved themselves on rafts, but were made prisoners by the Dutch.  The officers were afterwards liberated on their parole by the Dutch Admiral Kikkert.

William Gould, Esq., appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of the 6th (Yarmouth) Norfolk Volunteer Infantry.

Night signals established along the coast, and special constables sworn in at Yarmouth.

Yarmouth Volunteer Infantry embodied for 14 days’ garrison duty.

The Rows first numbered; they formerly bore the names of houses in or near them, or persons living near them.

The public mind was much excited by a possible French Invasion, under Napoleon, and many Volunteer and Militia Regiments of Norfolk and Suffolk did garrison duty here.

The Gorleston Volunteers had a field day, when the manœuvres were done in a masterly style, under Captain J. B. Bell.  They afterwards dined at the “Feathers” Inn.

Hay was sold at £4 10s. per ton.

The winter was a very severe one, more intense than in 1740.  Coals were 2s. a chaldron.

Capt. Dickens, of the Shropshire Militia, walked from the “Angel” Inn, at Yarmouth, to the “Angel” Inn, at Norwich, and back again (47 miles) in 11½ hours, for a wager.

A very large sale of 50 prize ships was advertised to take place at Yarmouth on the 25th.  These were principally Dutch vessels used as privateers and fishing vessels, and the description of them took about one column of space.  No auctioneer was named, but catalogues were to be had of Mr. A. H. Steward, of Great Yarmouth.

Mr. Aldred, of Yarmouth, met with a serious loss by being robbed in Long Lane, Smithfield, of notes, bills, and jewellery, to the amount of £2,000.  He was seized from behind a chaise by a daring street robber, who eluded the vigilance of the police.

April 27th.  Two gun-brigs, 14 guns each, built in Mr. J. Preston’s yard, launched.

May 9th.  One of the sharpest presses ever remembered in Yarmouth took place.  No fewer than 300 persons of the town were impressed, of whom only about 50 were ultimately detained.  (See 1802.)

Nov. 7th.  Intelligence received of the glorious victory over the combined fleets of France and Spain, off Cape Trafalgar, on the 21st of October, though purchased by the ever-to-be-lamented death of Vice-Admiral Lord Viscount Nelson, who was born at Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk, September 29th, 1758.  Congratulatory addresses were voted to his Majesty by Yarmouth;feu de joiefired by the military and volunteers.

Several regiments of Volunteers did garrison duty in the town till relieved by the Shropshire Militia.

April 19th.  The frigate, “Boreas,” 28 guns, launched from Messrs. Stone and Constance’s yard; the sloop, “Ariel,” 18 guns, from Mr. N. Palmer’s yard.

June 9th.  Vice-Admiral Russell, accompanied by several officers of the North Sea Fleet who were stationed at Yarmouth, visited Norwich.

July 26th.  French frigate “La Guerrière,” brought into the Roadstead by the frigate “Blanche.”  The former was captured on the 18th, after a desperate action of 45 minutes; she had taken eight Greenlandmen and one Yarmouth vessel, all of which she destroyed.

Aug. 14th.  Frigate “Comus,” launched from Messrs. Constance and Co.’s yard.

Nov. 4th.  Hon. E. Harbord (second son of Lord Suffield) and Stephen Lushington, Esq., returned to Parliament, but on June 25th, 1808, Dr. Lushington vacated his seat in favour of Giffin Wilson, Esq.

An Act of Parliament passed for repairing the Parish Church of Great Yarmouth and rebuilding the tower belonging to it.  (See 1803.)

Southtown Armoury built by Wyatt, at a cost of £15,000.  During the war 10,000 stand of arms were arranged in it, after the disposition observed in the Tower of London.  After the war the arms were removed to the Tower.

The gun-brig, “Fancy,” built in Mr. J. Preston’s yard.

Feb. 17th.  Gun-brig “Snipe,” with 30 French prisoners on board, wrecked on the Beach.  Many of them were drowned, together with part of her crew and some women, in all upwards of 60.  There were several other wrecks, for the wind blew a hurricane, and a drifting snow rendered the highways for a time impassable.

Feb. 18th.  Capt. G. W. Manby, barrack-master at Yarmouth, first succeeded in projecting a line over a stranded vessel; and on Feb. 12th, 1808, seven lives were saved from a vessel 150 yards from the Beach.  Parliament rewarded him at different times with grants amounting to £6,000.  He was born at Hilgay, Norfolk.  Captain Manby, at the age of 88 years, had the satisfaction of knowing that he had been instrumental in saving upwards of 1,000 lives in various parts of the world by his invention.  The two ingenious painters (the Joys), brothers and sons of a mail-guard, owed much of their fame to thepatronage and assistance afforded them in their youth by Captain Manby.

May 9th.  Hon. E. Harbord and S. Lushington, Esq., returned to Parliament.  Votes—H., 627; L., 604; William Jacob, 341; A. Upcher, 21.

July 3rd.  Mrs. Cooper, relict of the Rev. D. Cooper, of Yarmouth, died.  This lady, with an ardent desire to inculcate Christian morality, penned several publications, viz., “Fanny Meadows,” “The Daughter,” “The School for Wives,” and “Exemplary Mother.”

July 26th.  The fleet, under Lord Gambier and Vice-Admiral Stanhope (69 pennants in all), sailed from Yarmouth Roads.  Sir W. Sidney Smith sailed in Gambier’s flag-ship, “Prince of Wales,” 98 guns.  Soon afterwards was fought the second battle of Copenhagen (Sept. 7th).  Most of their prizes were brought to Yarmouth—64 vessels mounting 1,994 guns.

Aug. 14th.  E. H. K. Lacon born.  He was educated at Cambridge, and created a baronet in 1820 on the death of his father.

Sept. 7th.  Norwich Volunteer Infantry marched to Yarmouth for garrison duty.

Oct. 29th.  Several transports lost off Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

Nov. 14th.  Privateer “Le Décide” brought into this port by the frigate “L’Amiable.”  She had made no less than 30 prizes.

Nov. 2nd.  Louis XVIII. (under the title of Count de Lille) landed at Yarmouth from a Swedish frigate.  The Dukes d’Angouleme and De Berri, and several French noblemen, came with him.  This was the first time since the memorable battle of Poictiers, in 1356, that a King of France had been in England.

Dec.  A Telegraph erected upon the hill at Thorpe communicating with Yarmouth.  An order from the Admiralty Office in London was received at Yarmouth in seventeen minutes.

North Gate removed to widen the roadway.  It was flanked with square towers of curious workmanship.

One hundred and forty-four dead bodies washed ashore in this vicinity after a heavy gale.

A new peal of ten bells put in the tower of St. Nicholas’ Church, and first rung out on May 2nd, 1808.  Cost £1,161 8s. 4d.  The spire of the Church was also rebuilt the same year.

Jan. 10th.  Lord Hutchinson and Lord Gower landed here from the “Bellette” sloop-of-war, from St. Petersburgh.

March 30th.  Silver eel, 6 ft. long and 21 in. in girth, and weighing 42lbs., caught a mile below Yarmouth bridge in the harbour.

May 10th.  Expedition, consisting of 105 transports, under Admiral Keats, left the Roadstead for the Baltic and the protection of Sweden.  Sir John Moore commanded the troops.  He sailed in the “Mars,” and Major-Generals Paget and Murray in the “Audacious.”

Aug. 20th.  First pile of the present Jetty driven, and finished building and opened to the public Jan. 13th, 1809, at a cost of £5,000; 450 ft. long, and platform 21 ft. wide.  Extended 60 ft. in 1846 at a cost of about £900, and again 60 ft. in 1870 at a further cost of £859 10s.  Constructed on the site of one built in 1560.

Charles Townshend, Lord Bayning, High Steward of the Borough.

Shropshire and Cambridgeshire Militia left the town.

Jan. 28th.  Owing to a rapid thaw and the inundation of the meadows the barges proceeding from Norwich to Yarmouth were obliged to return, because the men were unable to find the channel of the river.

Oct. 25th.  Fiftieth anniversary of George III.’s reign celebrated in Yarmouth as a jubilee.

One thousand four hundred and sixty-four pounds of fresh salmon from Scotland landed in one day, and sold in Yarmouth market owing to the embargo on all shipping.

A very productive herring fishery.

May 10th.  Vice-Admiral Sir J. Saumarez’s fleet left the Roadstead for the Baltic; also the “Victory” (100 guns) and seven other sail of the line.

May 20th.  The Eight Hon. Charles, Lord Bayning, of Honingham Hall, a Privy Councillor and High Steward of Yarmouth, died in London, aged 81 years.

Aug.  Yarmouth Annual Races first established by the Officers of the Berkshire Militia.

Berkshire Militia left the town.

Mrs. Hunter died, aged 102.

By the Paving Act, provision was made against placing materials on the Quays or other public places for a longer time than was necessary for removing and housing the same.

Nov. 2nd.  The Beach from Yarmouth to Wells covered with wrecks and dead bodies after a heavy gale.  Another gale and high tide on the 10th, and many vessels and lives lost.

Nov. 14th.  Gustavus Adolphus IV., ex-King of Sweden, who had abdicated his throne, landed on the Beach from the sloop “Tartar.”  He assumed the title of Count Guttorp, and afterwards proceeded to London.


Back to IndexNext