Jan. 3rd. The schooner “Roberts” driven on the North Sand near the mouth of the Harbour, 300 yards from the shore, and her crew bravely rescued out of her shrouds by Mr. J. M. Petts and four beachmen.—The brig “Carl Frederick” was lost the same morning on Hasbro’ Sand, with seven of her crew, two boys only being saved.
Jan. 9th. F. Diver, Esq., of Yarmouth, commander of the R.M.S. “Roman,” presented with a handsome watch, subscribed for by the passengers of the ship for having completed a voyage from this country to Table Bay in thirty days.
Jan. 23rd. At midnight a destructive fire took place in a shop in the Market Row, and three precious lives (a lady named Mrs. Pigg, and two children) were sacrificed, and property destroyed and damaged to the amount of £3,000.
Feb. 8th. The fishing lugger “Flying Fish” fouled the sunken wreck of the barque “Lord Clyde,” and foundered in the Roadstead.
March 6th. The cigar steamship “Walter S. Winans,” of Havre, arrived in the Harbour. Dimensions—length, 112 ft.; deck, 66 ft. in length; width amidships, 5 ft.; 24 tons register.
April 29th. The brig “Ewerette” foundered opposite the Monument.
April 29th. The Rev. W. T. Harrison, minister of St. John’s Church, presented with a chaste silver tea and coffee pot, cream jug, and sugar basin, value £50, by 300 of the members of his congregation, previous to leaving for Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk. He was succeeded by Rev. R. J. Dundas.
May 11th. The Regent Hall, a wooden structure on Regent Road, opened, after being converted from a circus to a music-hall. It was pulled down in 1874. (See 1866.)
May 23rd. Mr. William Jones died. In the early part of his life he served as a seaman in the navy, and was present at several engagements under Sir Charles Napier.
June. Robert Cory, Esq., passed his examination and admitted an Attorney of the Court of Queen’s Bench and other Courts, and as a Solicitor in Chancery.
June 10th. Mr. Robert Clifton, master mariner, died at Southtown, aged 85. In early life and during the French war he was seized by the press-gang while ashore at Newcastle, and carried on board a man-of-war, where he served several years till being landed an invalid.
July 13th to 22nd. Chang, the Chinese Giant, aged 22, and nearly 9 ft. in height, said to be the largest man in the world, with his wife King-Foo, exhibited at the old Corn Hall.
July 18th. C. Woolverton, E. R. Aldred, R. D. Barber, and C. E. Bartram, Esqs., sworn in as Magistrates for the Borough.
July 22nd. Horticultural and Floral Fête held at the Assembly Rooms.
July 27th. Balloon ascent by Professor Simmons from the Victoria Gardens. This was the first aërial ascent in Yarmouth since Sept. 17th, 1852.
Aug. 11th. Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Young, the well-known actor and actress, presented with a testimonial—an address beautifully written on vellum, a port-monnaie, and a sum of money—at the Corn Hall, in recognition of their talented aid in an amateur entertainment given at the Regent Hall, on June 23rd, on behalf of the Yarmouth Hospital.
Aug. 18th. The corner-stone of the Methodist New Connexion Sunday School at Burgh laid by J. A. Horner, Esq., of Burgh Grange.
Aug. James Cherry, Esq., appointed Revising Barrister for Leicester and Rutland.
Sept. 23rd. The B battery C brigade of Royal Horse Artillery, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Bishop, arrived at the Armoury.
Oct. 24th. Heavy gale and loss of three vessels. Upwards of sixty French fishing boats (1,200 to 1,400 men) sought refuge in the Harbour. The s.s. “Ganges,” 1,600 tons, struck on Hasbro’ Sands the previous day.
Oct. The Board of Health Act adopted in Gorleston, and on March 8th, 1869, 12 members, out of 27 nominated, were chosen for constituting the Board.
Nov. 14th. First number of theYarmouth Gazette and North Norfolk Constitutionalistpublished by Mr. C. W. Godfrey. This journal subsequently became the sole property of Mr. E. W. Shortman.
Nov. 19th. The Scotch fishing-boat “Excellent” on fire in the Harbour, and was scuttled to extinguish it. Estimated loss, £200.
Nov. 22nd. During a gale the schooner “Seagull” broke the massive piles of the Britannia Pier, andsmashed 100 ft. away. (See July 13th, 1858.) In Oct. 1859, a sloop was driven through, and did damage to the Pier amounting to £800 or £900. The Pier has since been shortened 50 ft.
Nov. 26th. The Hon. F. Walpole and Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., elected M.P.’s for North Norfolk. Votes—W., 2,630; L., 2,563; Edmund R. Wodehouse, Esq., 2,235; Robert T. Gurdon, Esq., 2,078; including Yarmouth votes, viz., W., 913; L., 971; Wodehouse, 514; G., 476. On Sept. 15th, 1869, a Banquet was given at the Drill Hall, at which 800 or 900 persons were present, and a testimonial, value £600, was presented to Sir Edmund in honour of the successful issue of the petition. The testimonial was a magnificent piece of plate, weighing nearly 900 ozs., and consisted of a massive centre piece and plateau of silver; the base was flanked by three elaborate buttresses supporting brackets, with fluted columns, around which were grouped the figures of Agriculture, Commerce, and Art, the capital being encrusted with a frieze of lions’ heads and festoons of laurels, a figure of Fame crowning the summit. The Hon. F. Walpole died on April 1st, 1876; and on April 21st Colonel James Duff was elected M.P. for North Norfolk by a majority of 110.
Dec. 7th. The south aisle of St. Nicholas’ Church closed for restoration. In 1864 Mr. Seddon, architect, estimated that the restoration of the entire church would cost about £23,000.
Dec. 9th. A Grand Concert, under the patronage of the Mayor (S. Nightingale, Esq.) and the Mayoress; Right Hon. Lord Sondes, Right Hon. Lord and Lady Suffield, Sir E. Lacon, Bart., M.P., and the Deputy-Mayor and Mrs. Worship, was given at the Regent Hall. Distinguished artistes—Mdlles. Titiens and Sinico, Signors Bulterini and Campi, and Mr. Santley. Mr. Wehli, solo pianoforte; and Signor Bevignani acted as conductor.
Dec. 10th. The s.s. “City of Hamburg,” plying between this port and London, stranded close to the North Pier, and thereby sustained considerable damage.
Engine-house and reservoir erected on the north side of the Jetty for supplying the Bath House with water. (See 1759.)
An octagonal tower and observatory, 75 ft. high, erected on South Quay by the Trinity Corporation.
Launches: Aug. 17th, the carrier cutter “Chieftain,” from Messrs. Smith and Son’s yard; Sept. 23rd, the brig “Sultana,” 310 tons, from Messrs. Fellows and Son’s yard.
Deaths: Feb. 24th, Mr. Chas. C. Newcombe, postmaster, aged 49.—May 25th, Edward Norris Clowes, Esq., Solicitor, New Buckenham, aged 61.—June 2nd, Mr. W. Shuckford, 15 years Governor of the Workhouse, aged 62.—June 7th, Thomas Bunn, Esq., Corn Merchant, and an Alderman, at Southtown, aged 87.—Sept. 18th, Captain Robert Bensley Davie, Commander of the Cape mail steamer “Saxon,” at Southampton, aged 37.—Sept. 18th, John Palgrave, Esq., son of the late William Palgrave, Esq., Collector of Custom Dues at Yarmouth, and afterwards at Dublin, aged 55.—Nov. 2nd, John D’Ade, Esq., at Southtown, aged 86.—Dec. 5th, Mr. W. C. Nutman, many years Relieving-officer, aged 45.—Dec. 27th, Richd. Ferrier, Esq., Brewer, aged 73.
Jan. 25th. The Chancellor (E. Howes, Esq., M.P.) decided the long-pending question of removing St. Nicholas’ Church organ from the west end of the south aisle to the North transept, in the affirmative. This grand old organ, built by Jordan, Bridge, and Bayfield, in 1733; repaired by England (Jordan’s grandson) in 1812, and by Gray in 1840; was removed to the north transept in Feb., 1869.
Jan. Gaol Street Congregational Chapel (built in 1773) closed, and pulled down for the purpose of building the Middlegate Church.
Feb. 9th. The North-end Church Mission Room opened. Cost about £100. Mr. W. Wright was the architect.
Feb. 16th. The Fish Wharf, 2,251 ft. in length, shed 750 ft., completed. Total cost, £20,627. The sum borrowed and advanced by the Corporation for theworks was £20,502 6s.; total amount of annual outgoings estimated at £1,587 17s. Offices and premises let at £565 16s.
Feb. 23rd. While the s.s. “Buccleuch,” was on the point of leaving the wharf in Yarmouth Harbour for Hull, with 20 passengers on board, her boiler burst, and several persons were scalded and otherwise slightly injured, the Captain (W. Wright) being seriously hurt. The steamer was much damaged, and her fittings amidships blown to a considerable distance.
March 1st. The full-rigged ship “Hannah Pattersen,” laden with 1,500 tons of coal, came ashore abreast of the Workhouse, where she became a total wreck. Insured for £2,000.
March 2nd. Ten tenders opened for re-building the south aisle of St. Nicholas’ Church, and Mr. Williams, of Cardiff, was selected, his estimate for the work being £4,755, out of which sum £480 was deducted for old materials.
March 9th. Mr. C. L. Chipperfield presented by Major Foreman with a handsome timepiece, in acknowledgment of his valuable services as Secretary of the Yarmouth Building Society.
March 10th. The smack “Silver Cloud” run into by the steamer “Earl of Durham,” off Winterton, and foundered with loss of all hands.
April 3rd. Schooner “Hickman,” 98 tons, struck by lightning.
April 15th. The Great Yarmouth Water Works Bill, for further extending its powers in a drainage scheme, passed in the House of Lords.
April 20th. The King of Prussia, through the Ambassador at the Court of St. James’, awarded Capt. Balls, of the schooner “George,” of Yarmouth, a gratuity of £10 for rescuing the crew of the Prussian schooner “Christine.”
April 22nd. New organ opened at Belton Church by Mr. F. W. Rolfe, organist of St. Peter’s, Yarmouth.
April 28th. Duke’s Head Hotel sold to Mr. J. Davy for £1,525.
April 29th. The iron s.s. “Lady Flora,” 1,000 tons burthen, 250 feet in length, ran ashore on Caister beach, and after unremitting efforts on the part of Mr. T. B. Carr, of Hull, Mr. Beeching, of Yarmouth, and a numerous gang of men, who bodily raised her massive weight on to blocks, she was again successfully launched on July 8th in the presence of several hundred spectators. In Dec. this steamer was totally lost in the Baltic.
May 19th. The Gorleston Company of the Yarmouth Rifle Corps first met for recruit drill. First competition prize match, Oct. 14th.
May 26th. First stone of the St. James’ Church laid by the Very Rev. Dr. Goulburn, Dean of Norwich.
June 4th. Violent explosion of gas at Mr. Gambling’s office at Southtown, doing damage in and around the premises to the extent of £200 or £300.
June 9th. Charles Cory, Esq., 18 years Town Clerk of the Borough, died at Lugano, Switzerland, aged 54 years. It was decided on June 28th to place a memorial window to his memory in St. Nicholas’ Church. His father and grandfather both held the office of Chief Magistrate of the Borough; the former died in 1840.
June 24th. Charles Diver, Esq., appointed as Town Clerk at a salary of £200, and £50 extra as Clerk to the Local Board of Health. (See Nov. 30th, 1875, and Dec. 5th, 1883.)
Aug. 24th. Comer stone of the residence of the Head Master of the Grammar School laid next the site for the intended new Grammar School.
Aug. The Hon. and Rev. Edward Pellew, M.A. (about eight years Incumbent of St. Nicholas’ Church, and which he resigned in 1844 in favour of the Ven. H. Mackenzie, M.A.), died at Crowe Hill, Nottinghamshire, aged 69.
Sept. 6th. Two gentlemen started on a voyage by the rivers and streams, a distance of about 130 miles—from Hitchin to Yarmouth,viaNorwich and Reedham—in the canoes “Wanderer” and “Ruby,” which adventurous journey was completed in six days.
Sept, 9th. The French iron steamer “Fulton,” worth about £5,000, and cargo £650, through collision with the brig “Thomas Gales,” opposite the Monument, foundered, but her crew were saved. Insured for £3,200.
Sept. 15th. Mr. T. Todd’s smack “Ann” foundered.
Sept. 20th. Mr. H. Stonex presented by the Yarmouth Musical Society with a gold-mounted ivory baton and an inlaid walnut music-stool as a token of their appreciation of him as their conductor.
Sept. 23rd. Mr. William James Palmer admitted a licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries.
Sept. Commander T. S. Gooch, R.N., son of Admiral Gooch of Yarmouth, appointed to the command of H.M.S. “Beacon,” on the coast of Africa.
Oct. 5th. Mr. Thomas H. Colley, on resigning the office of House Surgeon at the Yarmouth Hospital, after 14 years’ service, was presented at the Town Hall with a gold watch and chain, value about £40, and a purse of 250 guineas, by 500 subscribers, for his zeal and kindness in the discharge of his duties.
Oct. 19th. Terrific gale. More than 70 smacks put in disabled, and some seven lost their crews (41 men), besides 14 other men washed overboard; 13 widows and 25 children left destitute.
Oct. 29th. The Italian barque “Oceana Antonio,” 529 tons, ran ashore south of the Wellington Pier.
Dec. 20th. Gas explosion at Messrs. Bracey and Son’s counting-house, whereby two persons were injured.
Launches: Feb. 1st, the schooner “Maria,” from Mr. Rust’s yard after extensive repairs.—Oct. 11th, the smack “Alice,” 40 tons register, from Mr. Rust’s yard.—Nov. 12th, the self-righting lifeboat “Penny Readings,” 33 feet long, cost £500, launched at Lynn, the boat having been built in Yarmouth.—Nov. 25th, the smack “Cambria,” from Messrs. Smith’s yard.
Deaths: Jan. 11th, Arthur Steward, Esq., aged 68.—March 4th, William Jex, Esq., Master of the Hopton Hunt, aged 68.—April 14th, William Hill Winmill, Esq., of Gorleston, aged 35.—Aug. 10th, Edward Trafford, Esq., of Wroxham.—Dec. 8th, Mr. Stephen Hardingham, aged 74.
Jan. 2nd. New organ at Roman Catholic Church opened.
Feb. 14th. The schooner “St. Cyran” came ashore south of the Britannia Pier, and the crew rescued by the rocket apparatus; the Austrian brig “Giovanning” came ashore in the South Ham; the steamer “Sea Queen,” 677 tons burthen or 903 dead weight, laden with 1,100 tons of coal, wrecked off Yarmouth, and her crew of 24 hands perished; and the barque “Victoria” wrecked on Gorleston Beach, 500 yards from the shore, and out of a crew of 16 but fire were rescued.
Feb. 15th. The schooner “Favourite” came ashore between the Jetty and Wellington Pier, and the crew, except one boy, saved; and on the same morning, the crew of the lifeboat “Friend of All Nations” courageously proceeded out of the harbour to a vessel in the South Ham, and the perilous venture of the crew was hailed with lusty cheers from a crowd assembled on the Gorleston Pier. In these gales the smack “Chance It” was burnt to the water’s edge off Yarmouth, and the crew gallantly rescued by the smack “William and Ann,” of this port.
Feb. 23rd. The organ at St. Nicholas’ Church, after being repaired by Messrs. Hill, of London, at a cost of £820, was opened by a grand choral service. Before removal it contained 2,133 pipes, which number has been increased to 2,873, viz., great organ 1,311, swell 908, choir organ 504, pedal organ 150; 45 stops and 7 couplers.
Feb. Rev. A. P. Holme appointed by the Bishop of Chester to the Rectory of Tattenhall, Cheshire; and on Mar. 1st the rev. gentleman was presented with a silver inkstand, value £25, marble timepiece £5, and an electro-plated cruet stand.
March 5th. Collision in the Roadstead between the s.s. “Chester,” value £8,000, and s.s. “Thames,” the former being run ashore north of the Britannia Pier.
March 20th. Fire on board the iron s.s. “Emily.”
April 27th. The first portion of St. James’ Church, which cost about £1,000, was opened by the Bishopof Columbia. The entire building, when finished, will cost £8,000 or £10,000.
April 28th. The south aisle of St. Nicholas’ Church, after being rebuilt, opened with a full choral service, the Lord Bishops of Rochester and Norwich officiating in the service. This service was the grandest since Aug., 1848, when Dr. Stanley and Dr. Wilberforce preached at the opening services, after the old galleries, pews, &c., had been swept away. The Church covers an area of 23,085 square feet; is 228 ft. long and 110 ft. wide, transept 148 ft.; and will accommodate 5,500 worshippers.
April. Captains Spencer Smyth, R.N., and C. Dent promoted to the rank of Rear-Admirals. The former served in several naval engagements from March, 1803 (when he entered as Midshipman on board the “Dreadnought,” 98 guns), to Oct. 22nd, 1827, the date he was promoted to the rank of Commander; and from 19th of March, 1833, to Oct., 1835, he filled the position of Assistant-Commander of the Coastguard at Yarmouth; and promoted to Captain on the reserve list F.G., July 28th, 1851, for meritorious services. (See Aug. 3rd.) Admiral Dent also served in several similar engagements since the year 1810.
May 18th. Gaol Street altered to its original name, Middlegate Street.
May. Baptist Chapel in Row 14 sold to Sir E. H. K. Lacon, and converted into a beer store. In excavating, an immense leaden coffin was discovered, besides the human bones of persons long since departed this life, which were re-interred. On Aug. 25th the cornerstone of the new Chapel on Wellesley Road was laid. (See April 7th, 1871.)
May 30th. Lord Mahon, eldest son of Earl Stanhope, returned as Member of Parliament for East Suffolk, including Gorleston. Votes—Mahon, 3,456; Colonel Sir Shafto Adair, Bart., 3,285; including Gorleston votes, M., 245; A., 183.
June 6th. Mr. E. Cattermoul, librarian, presented with a watch, value £25, and a cheque for £31 10s., by the subscribers to the Public library.
July 12th. Middlegate Congregational Church rebuilt and opened. This building alone cost £4,000, the architect being Mr. J. T. Bottle, of Yarmouth.
July 18th. John Bately, Esq., of Southtown, was admitted a licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of London, having passed on Sept. 24th, 1864, the examination in Arts at Apothecaries’ Hall; on May 6th, 1868, admitted a member of the Royal College of Surgeons; and on July 2nd of the same year, a licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries of London. On October 1st, 1868, this gentleman, at the opening of the Medical Session of Queen’s College, Birmingham, by Lord Littleton, received from the hands of the Bishop of Worcester the Council Prize of the Sydenham College—the highest honour the College could confer.
July 27th. Mr. M. E. Sturge, the newly-appointed bandmaster of the East Norfolk Militia, presented with a richly-chased ebony and gold baton by the members of the band, as a mark of their respect and esteem.
Aug. 3rd. Police-constable Shreeve gallantly rescued a lady, who had fallen overboard while in the act of landing from the London passenger steamer “Albion,” from drowning.
Aug. 3rd. Mr. W. S. Stanford appointed Harbour Master in the place of Rear-Admiral S. Smyth.
Aug. 7th. H.M.S. “Penelope” put into Yarmouth, but left on the 12th. This ironclad vessel, under the command of Lieut. Mogel, is a double screw corvette, 600 horse-power, 3,096 tons, carries ten guns, and a crew of 400 all told.
Aug. 8th. Edward Youell, Esq., died at Yarmouth, aged 89 years. This much respected gentleman was a partner for 42 years in the banking firm, of Lacons, Youell, and Co., from which he retired in 1863, having been in the house nearly 70 years.
Aug. 8th. A fishing trawler driven into the new works of the Jetty (see Aug. 20th, 1808), carrying away one of the piles, and knocking down the pile-driving machine, which fell on her deck and completely crushed it.
Aug. Mr. William James Palmer, L.S.A., admitted a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons.
Aug. 18th. Mr. J. S. Dominy, previous to leaving for York, resigned the position of Head Master of the Government School of Art in favour of Mr. J. F. Ryan.
Aug. 20th. Mr. John Harrington gallantly rescued two men from drowning on Yarmouth Beach; and during the present year he was instrumental in saving the lives of two others, for which he was awarded a testimonial on vellum by the Royal Humane Society.
Aug. 23rd. Great Yarmouth Annual Marine Regatta took place. The first Annual Roads Regatta was held Aug. 1st, 1834.
Sept. 1st. Meeting convened by the Mayor at the Town Hall on behalf of the sick and wounded in the Franco-German war; £297 6s. 7d. collected in the town, out of which sum £291 16s. was forwarded, when the list closed in Jan., 1871, to the National Society.
Sept. 22nd. S. J. F. Stafford, Esq., surgeon, presented with an elegant crystal-and-gold claret jug, and on Dec. 29th with a silver salver by the Nottingham Order of Oddfellows, as a token of their esteem.
Sept. Miss Emma Pearson, daughter of the late Capt. Pearson, of Yarmouth, sacrificed the comforts of her home to undergo suffering and privation in a foreign country as head nurse amidst the carnage of battle fields, and too much cannot be said in praise of her conduct. On being invited by Count Bernstoff to the Prussian Embassy, she received many merited thanks for her kindness and attention to the German wounded. (See Aug., 1872.)
Oct. 14th. Heavy gale, in which the “Ex,” of Yarmouth, foundered; and on the 16th, the lugger “Proverb,” of Gorleston, and six other vessels.
Oct. 24th and 25th. The most beautiful display of the Aurora Borealis witnessed since 1707.
Nov. 18th. The s.s. “M. E. Clarke” totally lost on Hasbro’ Sands, and her crew of 16 hands landed at Cromer.
Nov. 26th. The s.s. “Dolphin,” with cattle for London, towed into Yarmouth Roadstead. To save the vessel, 150 bullocks and 250 sheep were thrown overboard.
Dec. 13th. The catch of herrings this season up to this date was 18,394 lasts, which realised no less a sum than £180,000. One boat brought in 142 lasts, another 132 lasts, and others were almost equally successful. Last year’s catch was about 13,221 lasts; and in 1868, 15,476 lasts. 12 vessels left with 28,390 barrels of bloaters for exportation.
During the summer season, the town was visited by upwards of 78,000 people, viz., 63,000 by rail, and 15,000 by the passenger steamers “Albion” and “Seine.”
A mackerel, 19 in. long, 10½ in. in girth, and weighing 2 lbs. 11 ozs., brought ashore.
One hundred and fifty-six fully-licensed public-houses, 16 hotels, and 88 beer-houses, including Gorleston—making a total of 260.
Deaths: Jan. 9th, Thomas Brightwen, Esq., J.P., senior local partner in the banking firm of Messrs. Gurneys, Birkbeck, and Co., aged 57.—Feb. 24th, D. Stewart, Esq., aged 79.—Feb., Mr. Henry Jay, shipowner, and formerly a Member of the Corporation.—April 4th, the Rev. John Meffin, 50 years minister of the Countess of Huntingdon Connexion, aged 93.—May 25th, John Branch, Esq., aged 74.—May 31st, Mr. George Alexander, artist, aged 64.—June 1st, at Yarmouth, Alex. John, son of the late Samuel Grimmer, Esq., of Haddiscoe Hall, aged 61.—July 21st, Mr. Samuel Cubitt Richmond, merchant, a Member of the Town Council.—Oct. 6th, at Portsmouth, Col. Edwin Wodehouse, C.B., R.A., Aide-de-camp to the Queen, eldest son of the late Admiral the Hon. Philip Wodehouse, aged 53.—Oct. 17th, Mr. Edward Stagg, a Member of the Town Council, aged 57 (see Feb., 1866).—Nov. 14th, C. E. Bartram, Esq., J.P., and Town Councillor, aged 72.—Nov. 30th, Henry Holt Barber, Esq., a Member of the Town Council, aged 38.—Dec. 19th, Mr. Henry Fellows, shipbuilder, at Southtown, aged 69.
The cost of lighting the town (330) lamps with gas this year was £1,178 12s.
Launches: Feb. 14th, the smack “Valentine;” June 20th, the brigantine “Ethel,” 100 feet long, and 200 tons register, belonging to W. J. Foreman, Esq., launched, after being repaired, from Mr. Rust’s yard; Aug. 29th, the new trawling smack “Bonny Boys;” Oct. 1st, the fishing lugger “Guiding Star;” Nov. 17th, the lifeboat “Bolton,” built by Messrs. Beeching, of Yarmouth, publicly inaugurated at Kessingland; Nov. 19th, trawling smack “Statesman;” Dec. 14th, smack “Galatea.”
Jan. 3rd. A male otter caught in one of the Broads near Yarmouth. It weighed 30 lbs., and was four feet long, the tail alone measuring 21 inches.
Jan. 9th. Lady King, late of Telegraph House, died at Maddingley Hall, Cambridge.
Jan. 13th. Race for £100 on the ice covering the Southtown marshes, between Mr. Barnes’ pony (ridden by the owner) and an excellent skater named Woodhouse. The rough-shod pony won by several yards.
Jan. 13th. Public subscriptions for aiding the wounded in the Franco-German war amounted to £297 6s. 7d. Jan. 27th. Forty-five screw steamers passed up through the Roadstead within three hours.
Jan. 18,709 lasts of herrings caught during the last voyage, or 5,353 lasts more than the previous year’s catch.
The rateable value of the Borough as per last poor rate, £96,556 10s., and the number of ratepayers 9,750.
Seventy-five schools provided accommodation for 5,370 pupils, viz., Yarmouth, 65 schools, 4,587 children; Gorleston and Southtown, 10 schools, 781 children.
The total receipts of the Board of Health for the past year were £6,819 8s. 8d., and the expenditure £6,698 19s.
Feb. 4th. Robert Steward, Esq., J.P., died at Cambridge, aged 57. This gentleman was five times Mayor of the Borough, and was also a Member of the Town Council for upwards of 20 years.
Feb. 7th. Fire in Broad Row at the shop of Mr. J. H. Lay. About £100 worth of damage done.
Feb. 18th. Mantby Hall destroyed by fire.
Feb. Two whitings caught by the smack “Dutch Trader”—one measured 26 inches and the other 24 inches.—The number of fishing boats belonging to Yarmouth, according to a Parliamentary return, amounted to 900, of the aggregate tonnage of 14,788, giving employment to 4,051 men and 530 boys.
March. Lieut. Fyson appointed Captain of the 2nd Company of Rifle Volunteers on the retirement of Capt. Tomlinson.
C. C. Aldred, Esq., appointed a Justice of the Peace for East Suffolk in place of the late R. Steward, Esq.
March 3rd. Police-constable George Shreeve met with a fatal accident by falling from the fire escape at the Police Station. (See Aug. 3rd, 1870.)
March 29th. Mr. A. D. Stone purchased the barque “Frederica,” with stores, &c., for £1,425.
April 3rd. Census taken. Population of Yarmouth, 33,880; Gorleston and Southtown, 6,645; exclusive of about 700 absentees at sea. Number of houses: Yarmouth, 8,098; Gorleston, 1,534. Population of surrounding villages: Belton, 582; Bradwell, 387; Burgh Castle, 409; Fritton, 221; Hopton, 309; Ashby, 95; Blundeston, 716; Corton, 530; Flixton, 52; Gunton, 73; Herringfleet, 230; Lound, 422; Oulton, 860; Somerleyton, 592; Flegg Hundreds, 9,381.
April 7th. The new Tabernacle on Wellesley Road opened for Divine worship. It cost £2,496. (See May, 1870.)
April 19th. Mr. H. Fenner’s smack “Sebastopol” destroyed by fire whilst at sea.
April 19th. Edmund Girling, Esq., formerly in Messrs. Gurneys and Co.’s bank, died in London, aged 75. He was a talented artist.
April 22nd. The screw steamer “Kestrel,” with emigrants for America (about 150), run down by the screw collier “Frankland,” near Cromer. All hands saved.
April 24th. The smack “Otter,” launched.
April. A beautifully-stained window placed in St. Nicholas’ Church to the memory of the late John Goate Fisher, Esq., Mayor of the Borough in 1820.
The number of wherries registered as belonging to the river Bure was 103, of 1,846 tons burthen.
May 4th. Mr. J. R. Baumgartner passed his examination at Apothecaries’ Hall.
May 6th. Richard Hammond, Esq., J.P., died at Yarmouth, aged 78. This much-respected gentleman was the oldest Magistrate of the Borough, having been called to the Bench in 1841; he was also a Port and Haven Commissioner. On the Bench he once remarked that our smacksmen “earned their money like horses, but spent it like asses.”
Under the general poor rate and compounds in Yarmouth, there were 5,136 tenements, of the total value of £81,222 10s.
May 31st. David A. Gourlay, Esq., J.P., died at Yarmouth, aged 88 years. He was elected Mayor of the Borough in 1849, and was for many years a respected member of the Town Council. (See April 4th, 1867.)
June 6th. Salmon Palmer, J. W. de Caux, and Garson Blake, Esqs., nominated by the Town Council as new Magistrates for the Borough.
June 10th. Nearly 50 porpoises observed disporting themselves in the Roadstead.
June 13th to 24th. The D. Battery B. Brigade of Royal Horse Artillery encamped on the North Denes, under the command of Captain Strangways. 120 rank and file, having 116 horses, and 6 9-pound rifle-loading guns, &c.
June 21st. Messrs. F. S. Smyth and R. G. Bately acquitted themselves satisfactorily in their preliminary examinations at the Royal College of Surgeons, London.
June. Major W. J. Foreman, 1st Norfolk Artillery Volunteers, passed his examination and received a certificate of efficiency at the School of Instruction formed at Woolwich, under Lieut.-Colonel Woolsey, R.A.
June. Messrs. J. T. Waters, F. Burton, and F. W. Dendy passed final examination at the London Incorporated Law Society.
July 9th. Fire on the fishing premises of Messrs. Bland Brothers, Queen’s Road. A public subscription was made on their behalf.
July 13th. Boat accident in the Roadstead, by which a man and two boys, out of a crew of five, were drowned, the youths being members of a Norwich Church Choir.
July 15th. The 1st Suffolk and (on the 18th) 1st Norfolk Rifle Volunteers encamped for a week on the North Denes. The former mustered in all about 600 men.
July 26th. H.M.S. “Repulse,” 12 guns, 3,749 tons burthen, 800 h.p., commanded by Capt. Rollins, came into the Roads to embark 50 coastguardsmen.
July 30th. A terrific thunder peal, the like not having been heard for many years. The electric fluid did a considerable amount of damage to the residence of Mr. Hinchman Hammond.
Aug. 1st. The new smack “Zephyr,” on Aug. 3rd the fishing boat “Henry and Edmund,” and on Aug. 7th the dandy smack “Coral” launched. Since August last year 30 smacks and fishing boats had been launched at the various shipyards in Yarmouth and Gorleston.
Aug. 7th. Miss E. Pearson, accompanied by Miss L. E. MacLaughlin, paid a visit to the Sailors’ Home, having just returned from the Franco-German War. In October these two ladies had conferred upon them the bronze cross and diploma of the Society de Secours aux Blessés of France, in recognition of their services on the battle fields of Metz, Sedan, and Orleans. (See Sept., 1870, Aug., 1872, and Aug. 8th, 1876.)
Aug. 11th. Fatal accident to Mr. Henry Worlledge, third son of the County Court Judge, while bathing at Folkestone.
Aug. 14th. E. P. Youell, Esq., who had for 11 years previous been Captain of the 2nd Company Rifle Volunteers, was presented by the members of hiscompany at the Drill Hall with a handsome silver salver, value £13, as a mark of esteem.
Aug. 15th. Mrs. Levina Onslow died at Yarmouth, aged 75 years. This lady was the widow of the late Capt. John James Onslow, R.N., post-captain in H.M.’s Royal Navy, and last commanding H.M.S. “Daphne,” as senior officer in New Zealand in 1845; and mother of the late Rev. W. Lake Onslow, M.A., R.N., formerly chaplain on board the “St. George” with the Duke of Edinburgh, and subsequently domestic chaplain to the Prince and Princess of Wales at Sandringham. (See June 1st, 1862.) The Rev. Onslow was educated as a boy at the old Grammar School, under the Rev. T. C. Clowes, M.A., of Queen’s College, Cambridge, and his grandfather, as Admiral, commanded the squadron in the Roads after the Camperdown action.
Aug. 15th. A congratulatory address voted by the Town Council to Sir James Paget, on her Majesty conferring upon him a baronetcy. Sir James is the son of the late Samuel Paget, Esq., a long resident in this town. The same honour was conferred by George IV. in 1821 on Astley Cooper, Esq., son of Dr. Cooper, minister of St. Nicholas’ Church. (See June 15th, 1858.)
Aug. 15th. Brigantine “Edward,” belonging to Mr. W. J. Foreman, launched, after extensive repairs, from Mr. Rust’s yard. The same morning, a new lugger, belonging to Mr. G. Palmer, was launched from the same shipbuilder’s yard.
Aug. 17th. Tenders opened for laying a common sewer through Gorleston and Southtown, viz., 350 feet run of from 2 to 3½ feet brick sewer, and about 5,500 feet run of pipe sewer, from 9 to 15 inches in diameter. A tender of £1,725 was accepted by the Gorleston Board of Health. (See June 25th, 1872.)
Aug. 23rd. The sale of Mr. J. Tomlinson’s business premises, Howard Street, realised £11,390.
Aug. 25th. Fire at Mr. C. Garwood’s fish-house in Charlotte Street; very little damage done.
Aug. 28th. H.M.’s paddle-frigate “Terrible,” 1,850 tons burthen, 800 horse power, 19 guns, commanded by Capt. Travenen, passed through the Roadstead.
Aug. 31st. The Yarmouth Horticultural Society’s first show, held in St. George’s Park, which was entirely enclosed with boarding, was a grand horticultural and floral fête, and patronised by most of the élite of the town. The East Norfolk Militia and Artillery Militia bands played at intervals during the day.
Aug. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales accepted the hon. colonelcy of the Norfolk Artillery Militia, rendered vacant by the death of Lord Hastings.
Sept. Mons. A. A. Desfougerais, Vice-Consul to the French Government, after 11 years’ residence in Yarmouth, obtained an appointment in the Foreign Office in Paris. On Sept. 22nd this gentleman was presented with a claret jug and cup, value £40, as testimony of respect.
Sept. 11th. The dandy smack “Fern,” 54 feet long, 7 ft. 2 in. deep, and 32 4-100ths tonnage, launched from Mr. R. Rust’s yard.
Sept. 17th. Organ at St. George’s Chapel re-opened after being restored.
Sept. 17th. The Rev. C. Voysey, B.A., late Vicar of Heaulaugh, preached at the Unitarian Chapel.
Sept. 22nd. The smack “Maria and Isabella,” belonging to Mr. Seago, of this port, ran into by the barque “Rock City,” near the Dogger Bank, where she foundered, and four of her crew were drowned.
Sept. 25th. The captain of the passenger steamer “Albion,” plying between Yarmouth and London, fined £6 11s. for having on board 448 passengers, or 111 more than the vessel was chartered to carry.
Sept. 29th. The new General Post Office, Regent Street, opened.
Sept. 29th and 30th. The brig “New Fair Trader,” and the fishing lugger “Black-eye’d Susan,” of this port, received much damage.
Oct. Number of persons by excursion trains during the summer was—Vauxhall Station, 47,176; Southtown, 35,383; total, 82,559. Last season, V., 32,103: S., 26,009; total, 58,112.
Oct. 4th. The schooner “John Watson,” belonging to Messrs. Watling, of this port, collided with the barque “Thomas Knox,” in the Roadstead, and the former sunk. Crew saved.
Oct. 5th. Mr. William Mallam Vores admitted a licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries.
Oct. 16th. The screw steamer “Annie Bronghton,” 120 h.p., 782 tons register, 230 feet long, 32 ft. beam, drawing 19 ft. of water, and valued at £22,000, while on a voyage from Newcastle to Alexandria with 1,650 tons of coal, got on Hasbro’ Sands, but was assisted off after four days’ hard exertions. The salvage claims amounted to £1,300.
Oct. 16th. Fire at Mr. A. Tabraham’s jewellery shop on St. Peter’s Road. Considerable damage done.
Oct. 16th. A royal sturgeon caught off Yarmouth. It was 7 ft. 10 in. long, and weighed 28 stone.
Oct. 18th. The new Corn Hall, Howard Street, opened by a public dinner, to which nearly 200 gentlemen sat down, including Viscount Mahon, M.P., Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., M.P., the Hon. F. Walpole, M.P., C. S. Read, Esq., M.P., E. Corrance, Esq., M.P., and the Mayor (E. H. L. Preston, Esq.) H. S. Grimmer, Esq., occupied the chair.
Oct. 24th. George S. Harcourt, Esq., of Ankerwych, formerly M.P. for Bucks, died at St. George’s Square, Belgravia, aged 64 years. This gentleman established the Yarmouth Sailors’ Home.
Oct. 26th. A silver tea-kettle, value £25, presented as a testimonial to the Rev. R. J. Dundas, prior to his leaving the town for Albury, near Guildford.
Oct. 30th. The Rev. W. Boycott, rector and patron of Burgh St. Peter, died at Ormesby, aged 73 years.
Nov. Mr. Ziba Rayson passed his third and final examination at the Law Society’s Hall, London.
Nov. 3rd. Fire at the drapery shop of Mr. E. Bostock, King Street, and damage done to the amount of £350. (See 1884.)
Nov. The smack “Evangeline,” built for Mr. Olley of this town, launched from Mr. Fellows’ shipyard.
Nov. 14th. The iron screw steamer “Benjamin Whitworth,” 639 tons register, 99 h.p. (Capt. John Smith), got upon the Cross Sands and encountered a terrifically heavy sea; but after great perseverance she was floated off on the following day. The steam tug “Reliance,” value £2,500, belonging to the Standard Company, while assisting the “Whitworth,” struck against a piece of sunken wreck, and so rendered leaky. She was run on to Caister beach, where she became a total wreck. (See Dec. 4th, 1875.)
Nov. 14th. A fleet of some 1,200 sailing vessels passed through the Roadstead.
Nov. 25th. The fishing lugger “Sailor’s Friend,” value, with nets, &c., about £850, the property of Mr. C. Rumbold, was run into by the French screw steamer “Union Bayonnaise,” which caused the lugger to founder. Crew all saved.
Nov. 30th to Dec. 2nd. Heavy gale. Lifeboat crews performed several daring acts of bravery, and although about 25 hands were unfortunately lost near Yarmouth, no less than 23 shipwrecked men were rescued and taken to the Sailors’ Home.
Dec. 4th. Smack “George and Elizabeth” ran ashore north of the North Pier, where she went to pieces, her crew being rescued by the rocket apparatus.
Dec. 4th. Rev. A. T. Shelley, Congregational minister at Aylesbury, and formerly of this town, died at Aylesbury, Bucks, aged 45.
Dec. 6th. Intense frost. Every street and road one mass of ice, and so smooth and slippery as to render walking upright impossible. Several accidents occurred to people and horses.
Dec. 9th. The smack “Friendship,” value £400, lost in the North Sea.
Dec. 10th. The new steamer “South Tyne” stranded on North Scroby Sand. She was got off the next morning after 100 tons of coal had been thrown overboard. Salvage services amounted to £1,000.
Dec. 11th. The market tolls, &c., were let by public competition by Mr. S. Aldred for £890 per annum. (See Aug. 21st, 1876.)
Dec. 15th. The smack “Dagmar” on fire in the harbour. Much damaged.
Dec. 19th. The smack “Emma,” valued at £300, totally destroyed by fire while in the North Sea. Crew rescued.
Dec. 19th. The screw collier “Magdeburg” struck on Scroby Sand, but was got off by the steam tug “Reliance” for £200.
Dec. In the 2nd Norfolk Rifle Volunteers in 1871 there were in the five companies 11 officers, 22 sergeants, and 460 men, 87 of whom were marksmen.
The 600 fishing craft belonging to this port pay annually for towage about £4,000.
A new Primitive Methodist Chapel opened at Bradwell.
Mr. J. T. Clarke, solicitor, appointed a Commissioner to administer oaths in the High Court of Admiralty in England.
Two hundred and forty millions of herring landed at the Fish Wharf during the whole of the present season.
The number of shipwrecked men received during the year at the Sailors’ Home was 228.
A whiting measuring 26 inches caught on the coast.
Jan. 1st, The barque “Sing Tai” (Rising Sun), 500 tons, launched from Messrs. Beeching’s shipyard.
Jan. 1st. The brigantine “Sybil,” belonging to Mr. H. H. Gambling, while entering the harbour got on the North Sand, and was wrecked. Value, £400.
Jan. 3rd. Rear-Admiral Charles Calmady Dent, of Yarmouth, died. (See April 4th.)
Jan. 5th. Sir Francis Crossley, Bart., M.P., of Somerleyton Hall, died at Belle Vue, Halifax, aged 54 years.
Jan. 10th. First prosecution for Sunday trading instituted, the magistrates fining two delinquents—Messrs. Duffell—5s. each and costs. This continued weekly for over five years.
Jan. 12th. Restoration of Gorleston Church mooted. On May 15th Mr. Hubbard’s (East Dereham) contract of £2,642 accepted. (See June 12th, 1873.)
Jan. 16th. Loyal addresses voted by the Council to the Queen on the recovery of the Prince of Wales from a severe illness; also congratulatory addresses to the Prince and Princess.
Jan. 17th. Gallant lifeboat service by the Caister beachmen during a heavy gale, in the preservation of the barque “Jessie,” and the whole of her crew.
Jan. 25th. The Gorleston Board of Health resolved to borrow £1,000, in addition to the £3,500 previously borrowed for the Southtown drainage. (See Aug. 17th, 1871.)
Jan. 28th. John Lomas Cufaude, Esq., solicitor, died, aged 61 years. The deceased was Clerk of the Peace, Clerk to the Board of Guardians, and Superintendent Registrar of this Borough.
Jan. 29th. Caleb Burrell Rose, Esq., F.G.S., died, aged 81 years.
Jan. 29th. Supt. G. Tewsley presented with a richly-chased silver cup, at the Bear Hotel, by the sergeants and constables of the Borough Police, as a memento of their esteem.
Feb. 2nd. F. Danby Palmer, Esq., elected Supt. Registrar, and on the 9th Clerk to the Board of Guardians.
Feb. 2nd. Further experiments in the Roadstead with Harvey’s sea torpedoes, under the inspection of gentlemen representing the American Government.
Feb. 9th, 10th, and 18th. Action in the Court of Chancery—I. and C. A. Prestonversusthe Mayor, Aldermen, and Burgesses of the Borough—to recover £20,000, lent by various mortgagees on the general district rates. Bill dismissed with costs. An appeal was made against the judgment in the same Court on June 19th, with a like result.
Feb. 13th. Isaac Preston, jun., Esq., elected Clerk of the Peace by the Town Council; and on March 5th, Visiting Justices’ Clerk.
Feb. 23rd. Brigantine “Isabella Walker” collided with the steam tug “Andrew Woodhouse,” the latter sustaining damage to the amount of £50.
Feb. 27th. General Thanksgiving Day for the recovery from sickness of the Prince of Wales observed in Yarmouth.
Feb. £4,680 required for the restoration of Gorleston Church. (See Jan. 12th, 1872, and April 28th, 1876.)
March 1st. Mr. G. M. Burton elected Vaccination Officer.
March 2nd. Smack “Queen of the Fleet” launched from Messrs. Smith and Son’s shipyard.
March 14th. J. Cherry, Esq., of the Norfolk Circuit, took the oaths and handed in his formal appointment as Clerk of the Peace for Suffolk, conferred by the Lord Lieutenant of the County (Lord Stradbroke), vacated by the late Mr. Borton, who held the office 30 years prior to his death.
March 22nd. Henry Negus Burroughes, Esq., died at Burlingham Hall, aged 82 years. This gentleman was elected M.P. for East Norfolk in Aug., 1837; July, 1841; Aug., 1847; and July, 1852, with the late Edmund Wodehouse, Esq., as a colleague, on the last two occasions without opposition. In 1855, however, Mr. Wodehouse, accepting the Chiltern Hundreds, Sir Henry J. Stracey was returned in the place of that hon. gentleman, but at the dissolution in March, 1857, they neither of them went to the poll. Mr. Burroughes was a Port and Haven Commissioner for over 45 years. The Rev. Randall Burroughes, who married a sister of Lord Suffield, succeeded to the possession of his fine landed property.
March 30th. Nathaniel Palmer, Esq., died at Coltishall. He was born at Yarmouth in Oct., 1792. In 1827 was called to the bar by the Inner Temple, and in 1886 appointed Judge of the Guildhall Court of Norwich and Recorder of Great Yarmouth.
March. The loop-line between Somerleyton and St. Olave’s on the Great Eastern Railway opened.
April 4th. Marriage of Lieut. Charles Francis Hastings Dent, commanding H.M.S. “Orwell,” eldest son of the late Admiral Dent and Lady Selina (daughter of the 11th Earl of Huntingdon), with Miss Jane Collins, of Bury, was celebrated at St. Mary’s Church. (See Jan. 3rd.)
April 19th. Corner-stone of the new schools in connection with St. James’ Mission laid.
April 24th. Simms Reeve, Esq., took the declaration at the Tolhouse Hall on acceptance of the office of Recorder of Yarmouth.
May 2nd. The fine new lugger “Sir Roger Tichborne” launched from Messrs. Smith’s shipyard at Runham.
May 13th. The smack “Renown,” belonging to Messrs. Smith and Son, fouled the South Pier, and afterwards sunk with her cargo of fish in the harbour.
May 13th. The Dutch man-of-war brig “Tornate,” used as a training ship, and having on board 110 boys and 10 men and officers, was towed into our harbour.
May 20th. A young shark, about six feet long, caught off Yarmouth, and landed on the beach.
May 20th. Serious accident to J. W. de Caux, Esq., J.P., by falling from a cart on the Marine Parade.
May. A salmon weighing 12½ lbs., and two salmon trout, one 15 lbs. in weight, and the other 2 ft. 4 in. long, taken near Caister.
May 29th. James Scott, Esq., J.P., a shipowner of this port, died, aged 69 years. (See June, 1863.)
June 6th. First visit to Yarmouth of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, attended by the Earl of Leicester, Major-General Probyn, C.B., and Col. Teesdale. This never-to-be-forgotten visit of the Heir Apparent to the Throne was the grandest event in respect to the general superb decorations and illuminations, together with the rapturous enthusiasm and open generosity of the populace, ever recorded in the annals of local history. Some 3,500 excursionists from Norwich, as well as numbers from neighbouring districts, flocked into the town on the two first days. The Prince and suite, who were entertained here by James Cuddon, Esq., J.P., at Shadingfield Lodge, left the Borough on the 8th by the East Suffolk line,en routefor London.
June 6th. The new Grammar School opened by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, K.G.
June 6th. Primitive Methodist Conference opened at Yarmouth, and lasted for a week. Number of members in 1872, 161,464.
June 13th. Two Companies of 33rd Regiment of Foot (Duke of Wellington’s) and the staff of the Essex Rifle Militia, 152 rank and file, arrived at the Southtown barracks, where they stayed for a month.
June 15th. At Cambridge, the degree of Doctor of Divinity conferred on the Rev. J. J. Raven, head master of the Yarmouth Grammar School.
June 15th. Mr. Edward Fyson, a member of the Town Council, and a Captain in the 2nd Norfolk Rifle Volunteers, died, aged 37 years.
July 9th. William Sheppard, Esq., died, aged 76.
July 11th. Heavy tempest. Mr. Burton Steward’s house struck by lightning, and the interior of more than one room was damaged by the electric fluid.
July 16th. The Royal Humane Society presented Mr. Thomas Joyce with the usual honorary testimonial on parchment for saving the life of a lad named F. J. Martin, while in a very precarious state in the sea. This was the second testimonial Mr. Joyce had received for his bravery.
July. Cuddon-Fletcher, Esq., of Somerton (son of James Cuddon, Esq., late of Shadingfield Lodge), created a Justice of the Peace for Norfolk.
Aug. The decoration of the Order of Sanitat Kreuz Militar of Hesse Darmstadt, conferred on Miss E. Pearson (of Yarmouth) and Miss L. E. MacLaughlin, for their attention as nurses to the wounded soldiers in the Franco-German war. (See Sept., 1870, and Aug. 7th, 1871.)
Aug. 8th. The new organ in St. Mary’s Church, Southtown, opened with a full choral service. This fine-toned instrument was built by Mr. W. C. Mack, of Yarmouth, at a cost of £250. (See Sept. 9th, 1875.)
Aug. 9th. Mr. R. Collins resigned the appointment of Town Hall keeper, which he had held for 20 years, and was succeeded on Aug. 13th by Mr. George Harvey. (See Oct. 20th, 1874.)
Aug. 10th. By an Act of Parliament this day in force different independent sanitary bodies were placed under one authority, including the Yarmouth and Gorleston Local Boards. Yarmouth Town Councilthen became the sanitary authority for the whole district, at the same time taking possession of the property in Gorleston and Southtown, assessed at £15,700.
Aug. 13th. H. Fellows, F. Dendy, and S. W. Spelman, Esqs., appointed as Magistrates for the Borough.
Aug. 13th. Mr. C. H. Chamberlin’s resignation as Borough Coroner accepted by the Town Council. Mr. William Holt was at the same meeting appointed his successor. (See Dec. 5th, 1883.)
Aug. 18th. John Hillam Mills, Esq., banister, died at Lowestoft. The deceased gentleman acted as Deputy-Recorder of Yarmouth during the many years’ protracted illness of the late Mr. N. Palmer. (See March 30th, 1872.)
Aug. 20th. Edward Harbord Lushington Preston, Esq., died. He was Mayor of the Borough at the time, and held several offices of responsibility. Born on Nov. 4th, 1806. The remains of deceased were intended in the family vault in St. Nicholas’ Churchyard, near the Cemetery.
Aug. 20th. The new smack “Star,” built for Mr. Fleming Hewitt, launched from the shipyard of Mr. J. H. Fellows.
Aug. 27th. Charles Woolverton, Esq., elected Mayor to the 1st of November, in the place of the late E. H. L. Preston, Esq.
Aug. 29th. Part of the fleet of H.M.’s ironclads, under the command of Rear-Admiral G. G. Randolph, C.B., anchored in the Roadstead. The fleet comprised the “Achilles,” 26 guns; “Hector,” 18; “Penelope,” 11; “Audacious,” 11; “Vanguard,” 14; “Black Prince,” 28; “Resistance,” 16; “Favourite,” 10; “Valiant,” 18; and the dispatch boat “Imogen.” In the whole squadron there were some 4,500 men, including about 1,500 coastguardsmen. The Admiral’s ship (“Achilles”) carried 750 men, had 40 furnaces, and when steaming at full speed consumed at the rate of 250 tons of coal a day.
Sept. 29th. The lugger “Bee” (formerly “Prima Donna”), belonging to Mr. T. Tyrrell, of this port, foundered about 60 miles abreast of Winterton.
Oct. 3rd. Destructive fire at the shop of Messrs. Leach Brothers, oilmen, &c., Market Place, which resulted in the almost entire destruction of the shop and stock-in-trade. Estimated loss, £1,000; property saved, value about £400.
Oct. 11th. Heavy gale. Loss of the schooner “Lucy,” belonging to Mr. R. Barber, of this port, on Whitby beach.
Oct. 14th. Sir E. H. K. Lacon, Bart., M.P., laid the first plate of the Gorleston tramway, which ceremony was celebrated by a banquet at the Town Hall in the evening.
Oct. 16th. Mr. J. Suffling’s smack “Humility” driven ashore in a gale north of Britannia Pier.
Oct. 17th. Terrible accident on the Great Eastern Railway near Kelvedon—18 people wounded and one killed, among the former being William Worship, Esq., of Yarmouth.
Oct. 26th. The schooner “Blyliam” foundered in the North Sea. Mr. Walter Haylett, master of the smack “Eclipse,” was subsequently awarded a silver medal and certificate of honour by the King of the Netherlands for rescuing the crew.
Oct. 29th and five following days. The sale of Mr. J. Owles’ collection of pottery and porcelain, at the Corn Hall, realised £4,738.
Oct. Mr. A. J. Rivett passed the minor examination of the Pharmaceutical Society.
Oct. The widow of Sir William J. Hooker died. This lady was the daughter of the late Mr. Dawson Turner, F.R.S., of Yarmouth, and mother of Dr. Hooker. She was married to Sir William in 1815.
Oct. The Rev. John Beazor, late of Yarmouth, appointed to the Rectory of Portland by the Bishop of Oxford. This rev. gentleman had for six years previously held the sole charge of Minster Lovell. (See March, 1863.)
Nov. to March, 1873. Pinder’s Royal Circus at Regent Hall.
Nov. 2nd. The lugger “Good Advice,” belonging to Mr. John Hart, of Gorleston, run down by a brig.
Nov. 11th to 17th. Heavy gains, the smacks “Coronella” and “Thomas and Edward” lost, and all hands (on the 12th), and Gorleston Pier was also damaged to the extent of £3,339.
Nov. 13th. Mr. A. E. Cowl, third son of Mr. Henry Cowl, passed his final examination prior to his admission as an attorney, at the Institute of the Incorporated Law Society, London.
Nov. 13th. Sudden death of Mr. S. C. Cooke, of Horstead, at the Thorpe Railway Station, aged 71. The deceased was a member of the Port and Haven Commission.
Nov. 26th. Captain John Garnham, R.N., died, aged 83. The deceased was 42 years a Magistrate for Suffolk, and was for some years a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and taken prisoner by the French in 1814, after which he returned to England.
Nov. 30th. The smack “Challenger,” reputed to be the largest built in Yarmouth, was launched from Messrs. Smith and Son’s yard.
Nov. Mr. F. J. Dowsett passed his final examination for an attorney at the Incorporated Law Society’s Hall, Chancery Lane.
Dec. 8th and for several days, a succession of gales. About 15 vessels in all foundered, and 100 shipwrecked mariners were received at the Sailors’ Home.
Dec. The Militia Depôt at Yarmouth offered to the Government at £12,500.
Dec. 21st 14,451 lasts of herrings delivered at the Fishwharf, as compared with 19,639 lasts for the corresponding period of 1871.
Jan. 3rd. Three men lost in the North Sea out of the smack “Peep o’ Day,” belonging to Mr. Jex.
Jan. 6th. Boiler explosion on board the s.s. “Druid,” seven miles off Yarmouth, resulting in the death of two men and serious injury to three others.
Jan. 8th. Great Yarmouth Licensed Victuallers’ Association established through the exertions of Mr. R. S. Steele.
Jan. 10th. The new building annexed to the Priory Schools for the accommodation of some 200 children, opened by the Mayor.
Jan. 20th. Dr. Lushington, judge, philanthropist, and politician, and late M.P. for Yarmouth, died at his seat near Ockham, aged 91 years.
Jan. 20th. Charles H. Chamberlin, Esq., Registrar of the Yarmouth County Court and Borough Coroner, died, aged 51 years.
Jan. 22nd. Mr. Blyth, of this port, and second mate of the “Northfleet,” lost in that ill-fated vessel, with over 300 passengers.
Jan. 27th. A halibut, 4 ft. 6 in. in length and weighing about five stone, caught near Yarmouth.
Jan. Henry John Walker, Esq., solicitor of Brompton, appointed to the Registrarship of the Yarmouth County Court. In March, 1875, resigned for a Registrarship in Southampton, and in Dec., 1876, District Registrar of High Court of Justice at Manchester.
Jan. A very handsome silver waiter presented to Alderman W. Laws by the teachers of St. Nicholas’ Sunday School, in token of their respect.
Feb. 1st. Mr. Holmes’s new smack “Serjeant Ballantine” launched from Mr. Mack’s shipyard.
Feb. 7th. Great Yarmouth and Eastern Counties’ Aquarium Company registered, with a capital of £50,000 in shares of £2 each. (See June 18th.)
Feb. 26th. The Rev. J. Partridge, formerly head master of the Yarmouth Preparatory Grammar School, Southtown, died at Thornbury, near Bristol, aged 46 years.
March 17th. Mr. George T. Watson, Superintendent of Sailors’ Home, presented with a handsome gold ring by the members of the Beachmen’s and Fishermen’s Friendly Society, as a memento of respect.
March 24th. The steam tug “Minnet” stranded on the North Sand at the mouth of the harbour.
March. The Rectory of Buckenham, Kent, conferred upon the Rev. William Cator, B.A., curate of St. Nicholas’ Church.
March 25th. The new brick-built reservoir at Gorleston, belonging to the Great Yarmouth Water Works Company, opened. It is 115 feet square inside; height from floor to roof, 16 ft., and holds 800,000 gallons of water, being, when full, 1½ feet from the top.
March. The Rev. Dr. Raven was presented with a handsome silver-plated coffee pot, teapot, cream jug, and sugar basin, by the pupils of the Yarmouth Grammar School as a mark of their esteem.
April 11th. Loss of the fishing smack “Vesper,” off the Holland coast; on 19th, in the North Sea, the dandy “Morgan;” and on 27th, the smack “Proctor.” Crews all saved.
April 13th (Easter Day). The new peal of bells at Gorleston Parish Church first rung out. These six bells were cast by Messrs. Mears and Hainbank, of Whitechapel, and presented to Gorleston by Miss C. Roberts, of Hersham, Esher. The tenor bell, weighing 10 cwt., is in the key of G, and has a chiming apparatus.
April 14th. John Owles, Esq., died at Great Yarmouth, aged 65 years. (See Feb., 1858, and Oct. 29th, 1872.)
April 17th. H. E. Buxton, Esq., and Captain John Gilbertson elected Churchwardens of the Parish Church. Stormy vestry meeting.
April 18th. The Rev. R. Shelley, Unitarian minister of Yarmouth, died at Newbury, Berks, aged 39 years.
April 24th. The Rev. H. R. Nevill, M.A., vicar of Yarmouth, formally installed a Canon of Norwich Cathedral. (See Jan. 25th, 1874.)
April 29th. The schooner “Margaret” sunk in the harbour whilst crossing the bar. She subsequently broke up, and the wreck and stores were sold for £40.
April. Bat.-Sergt.-Major E. Cooke, 1st N.A.V., presented with a massive electro-plated cup by T. Dawson, Esq.
May 1st and 2nd. Sir John Coode, E.C., visited Yarmouth to inspect and report upon the South Pier and Haven works, and on the 30th forwarded his reportto the Port and Haven Commissioners. The estimated cost of improvements was put down by Sir John at £12,880.
May 3rd. Mr. James Mitchell died, in the 100th year of his age.
May 11th. Robert Palmer Kemp, Esq., J.P. for the Borough, and also for the County of Norfolk, died at Coltishall, aged 70 years.
May 12th. The Rev. J. W. Colvin, M.A., minister of St. Andrew’s Church, presented with a pair of handsome oak study candlesticks and a plated-chased biscuit caddy, by the Sunday School teachers, and members of the choir and Bible classes, as a memento of their kindly feeling towards him.
May 25th. Loss of the smack “Active” and three of her crew in the North Sea, by being run down by the steamer “Iris.” Value of smack, £1,000.
May 29th. John Fisher Costerton, Esq., J.P., of this Borough, died at Yarmouth, aged 88 years. (See 1841.)
May 30th. About 50 members of the Hon. Artillery Company came from Finsbury, London, to this town by rail, and marched from Yarmouth to Brundall—a distance of 14 miles—on the following morning,en routefor Norwich.
June 7th. Three of the crew of the smack “Pioneer,” and one of the “Ethelwolf’s,” lost at sea whilst ferrying fish to the London carrying steamers.
June 12th. Rear-Admiral Spencer Smyth promoted to retired Vice-Admiral in her Majesty’s fleet. (See April, 1870.)
June 12th. Gorleston Parish Church opened by the Lord Bishop of Norwich, after its restoration.
June 18th. A resolution passed at a meeting of the Directors in London to dissolve the first Aquarium Company, the shares allotted being inadequate to carry out the project as designed. (See Feb. 7th.)
June 24th. The new smack “Daniel” launched from Mr. J. H. Fellows’ shipyard.
June. New Wesleyan school at Gorleston completed.
June. Six guns, weighing five tons each, and carrying shot and shell weighing 50, 71, and 78 lbs. respectively, landed at Yarmouth from Woolwich for the North and South batteries, in place of the old 68-pounders.
July 2nd. A young live seal, 2½ feet long, brought ashore by the crew of the smack “Flying Fish,”‘ who had captured it in the North Sea.
July 2nd. The Rev. W. Sumpter Beevor, senior curate of St. Nicholas’ Church, had the degree of M.A. conferred by the Trinity College, Dublin.
July. Mr. Arthur Vores passed his preliminary examination for the Fellowship of the College of Surgeons.
Aug. 16th. Mr. H. Jay elected to the office of Fishwharf Master, on the resignation of Mr. W. Capon.
Aug. A fine new fishing smack, “The Shah,” launched, also the “Falcon” and the “Albion.”
Aug. 26th. H.R.H. the Prince of Wales consented to become a patron of the Yarmouth Marine Regatta, and forwarded a cheque of £26 5s. through Sir Wm. Knollys for a competition prize.
Sept. 12th. The King of the Belgians’ superbly-fitted yacht, “Prince Baudoin,” put into Yarmouth harbour for coal previous to conveying his Majesty across the Channel from Dover to Ostend on the 16th.
Sept. 15th. The new smack “Mercy” launched from Messrs. Mack’s yard.
Sept. 25th. The will of Mrs. Jemima Bacon Ciocci, formerly the wife of Raffaelle Ciocci, late of Yarmouth, proved under £25,000.
Sept. 29th. A new steam tug, the “Star,” the property of the Star Steam Tug Company, launched from Messrs. Beeching’s shipyard. Length, 88 feet; width, 16 ft. 7 in.; depth, 9 ft. 9 in.; builders’ measurement, 113 tons; gross register, 88 tons, and cost over £2,000. Her lever engine of 45 h.p. was saved from the “Minnet.” (See March 24th.)
Sept. Shadingfield Lodge, the Royal residence during the Prince of Wales’ stay in Yarmouth, in June, 1872, purchased by S. Nightingale, Esq., for £3,000.
Oct. 1st. Destructive fire at the farm of Mr. T. W. Daniel, at Caister; damage over £1,000.
Oct. 1st. Loss of the s.s. “Whittington,” of Newcastle, with 400 tons of coal, on the Middle Cross Sand.
Oct. 7th. Three men lost belonging to the smack “Ellen,” whilst ferrying 29 packages of fish to the London carrying steamer, near the Dogger Bank.
Oct. 7th. R. Morgan, Esq., C.E., visited Yarmouth on behalf of the Local Government Board, and took evidence upon the matter of the Market Gates’ Improvement, for which a loan of £2,500 was required for 30 years. Sanction to the loan given.
Oct. 8th. The lugger “Young Charles” run down by the s.s. “Osborne,” off Smith’s Knowl (14 miles off Lowestoft), and the whole of her crew, 10 hands, unfortunately lost.
Oct. 10th. Demonstration of Freemasons at Yarmouth, on the opening of the Provincial Grand Lodge at the Hospital School by the Hon. F. Walpole, M.P., Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Norfolk.
Oct. 11th. The reputed fastest schooner yacht afloat, the “Livonia,” 128 tons burthen, and a crew of 16 hands, put into Yarmouth harbour.
Oct. 11th. Dr. James Borrett, late of Yarmouth, died at Clifton, near Bristol. His remains were interred in Castleton Churchyard.
Oct. 15th. The high lights on the N.E. corner of the Sailors’ Home, at an altitude of 60 ft. above high water, and the lower light on the Britannia Pier, at an elevation of 20 ft., used for the first time.
Oct. 23rd. The new smack “Livonia,” belonging to Messrs. Smith and Son, launched from their shipyard.