The Project Gutenberg eBook ofChronological Retrospect of the History of Yarmouth and NeighbourhoodThis ebook is for the use of anyone anywhere in the United States and most other parts of the world at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this ebook or online atwww.gutenberg.org. If you are not located in the United States, you will have to check the laws of the country where you are located before using this eBook.Title: Chronological Retrospect of the History of Yarmouth and NeighbourhoodAuthor: William Finch-CrispRelease date: December 13, 2012 [eBook #41618]Language: EnglishCredits: Transcribed from the third edition by David Price*** START OF THE PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK CHRONOLOGICAL RETROSPECT OF THE HISTORY OF YARMOUTH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD ***
This ebook is for the use of anyone anywhere in the United States and most other parts of the world at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this ebook or online atwww.gutenberg.org. If you are not located in the United States, you will have to check the laws of the country where you are located before using this eBook.
Title: Chronological Retrospect of the History of Yarmouth and NeighbourhoodAuthor: William Finch-CrispRelease date: December 13, 2012 [eBook #41618]Language: EnglishCredits: Transcribed from the third edition by David Price
Title: Chronological Retrospect of the History of Yarmouth and Neighbourhood
Author: William Finch-Crisp
Author: William Finch-Crisp
Release date: December 13, 2012 [eBook #41618]
Language: English
Credits: Transcribed from the third edition by David Price
*** START OF THE PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK CHRONOLOGICAL RETROSPECT OF THE HISTORY OF YARMOUTH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD ***
Transcribed from the third edition by David Price, email ccx074@pglaf.org
THIRD EDITION—EXTENDED AND IMPROVED.
CONTAINING ABOUT5,000 Important Local Events, &c.;AND ANALPHABETICAL LIST OF MAYORS.
Shield of Yarmouth
“It is to Chronology that History owes its use and beauty; as being without it a mere chaos, a jumble of facts confusedly heaped together, and consequently capable of affording neither pleasure nor instruction.”—Locke.
“It is to Chronology that History owes its use and beauty; as being without it a mere chaos, a jumble of facts confusedly heaped together, and consequently capable of affording neither pleasure nor instruction.”—Locke.
By WILLIAM FINCH-CRISP,
Author of“Printer’s Business Guide,” “Printer’s Book of Reference,”“Punctuation Simplified,” “Handbook to Angling,”&c.,&c.
Great Yarmouth:WILLIAM FINCH-CRISP, No. 20, ALMA PLACE.London: J.Haddon& Co., 3,Bouverie Street, E.C.
’Tis well to wander back at timesThrough Memory’s faded Halls,And gaze upon the many ScenesThat hang upon its Walls.
’Tis well to wander back at timesThrough Memory’s faded Halls,And gaze upon the many ScenesThat hang upon its Walls.
Few words only are necessary to introduce this Third Edition to our readers, beyond expressing a hope that the contents will meet with general approbation, and that much pleasure will be derived from its perusal, now and for many years to come. We would ask, as aSPECIAL FAVOUR, in order to ensure a wider circulation, that our friends will recapitulate the comments of the Press, by recommending thisHistory of Yarmouthas “worthy of a place in every library.” It is seven years since the Second Edition, without supplement, was published.
No greater honour could have been conferred upon the Author than when the Heir Apparent to the Throne of England (His Royal Highness thePrince of Wales, K.G.), on his visit to Yarmouth in 1882, expressed his pleasure, through Colonel Teesdale, in the acceptance asa present, of a copy of this History; and the placing of this work, with supplement (A.D. 46 to 1879) in the principal stone of the New Town Hall in 1880 by the then Mayor (C. C. Aldred, Esq.) was also gratifying.
Edward Birkbeck,Esq., M.P., writing to us from the House of Commons, on March 19th, 1884, says:—“I do not think my name is worthy of having a book dedicated to me, but I shall nevertheless be proud to have it placed where you suggest.” The people of Yarmouth will endorse our sentiments when we say, for his zeal and untiring energy in promoting many special objects in the “good old town,” that he is worthy of greater eulogiums than we can bestow, and therefore tender our best thanks to that gentleman for his courtesy in allowing this volume to be dedicated to him—a privilege that was also given us in a first issue, by his predecessor in the Imperial Parliament, the lamentedColonel Duff. Neither must we forget to express our obligation to a select list of subscribers to the work.
Great Yarmouth,April, 1884.
TOEDWARD BIRKBECK, ESQ.M.P. FOR NORTH NORFOLK,THIS BOOK(WITH PERMISSION)ISMOST RESPECTFULLY DEDICATEDBYHIS OBEDIENT AND HUMBLE SERVANT,
WM. FINCH-CRISP.
The following dates refer to the time of election,November9th,after the year1836.
Abbon Robert
1749
Albertson John
1688
Aldred C. C.
1856, ’65, ’79, ’81, ’82
Artis James
1710
Artis Samuel
1727
Baker John
1832
Baker Richd.
1754, ’60
Barber Robt. D.
1874
Barker Samuel
1800
Barnard Wm.
1883
Barnby J. Eager
1875
Barnby John
1762
Bernard Chris.
1740*
Barth W.
1824, ’26, ’36*
Bateman Dr. G.
1829
Bateman Dr. T.
1819
Bird John
1730
Borrett Henry
1711*
Bracey Andrew
1714
Bradford Thos.
1685
Brightin Chris.
1721
Browne W., sen.
1744
Browne William
1709, ’33, ’48, ’56
Burroughs W. N.
1846
Butcher William
1753
Cherry James
1853
Cobb Simon
1838
Colby Dover
1796
Colby E. H. H.
1878
Cooke Thomas
1732
Cory Robert
1803
Cory Robert, jun.
1815
Costerton Chas.
1825
Coteman Joseph
1704, ’45, ’57, ’59
Diver Charles
1877
Eagle Benjamin
1702*
Ellys Anthy, jun.
1705
Ellys Anthy.
1708, ’19
Ellys Thomas
1739
England Benj.
1703
England George
1715
Fenn Samuel
1686
Ferrier Rich.
1706, ’20
Ferrier R., jun.
1724
Ferrier Robert
1750
Fielding B.
1787, 1810
Fisher J.
1767, 1802, ’11
Fisher Jas.
1774, 1809
Fisher William
1766, ’78, ’80, ’94, 1806
Fisher W., jun.
1786, ’99
Fisher J. jun.
1788, ’97
Fisher J. Goate
1820
Fuller Samuel
1707
Gooch Henry
1772
Gourlay David A.
1849
Harmer Wm.
1741
Horsley Thomas
1738
Ireland John
1716
Jay Samuel
1839
Johnson William
1841
Killett Samuel
1746
Lacon Edmund
1792
Lacon Sir E.*
1795, ’98, 1812
Lacon E. K.
1807
Lacon Mortlock
1828
Lancaster Robt.
1768
La Grice Thos.
1717
Lombe Henry
1725
Love Barry
1734
Love John Goslin
1763
Manclark Colman
1770
Marsh S. C.
1843, ’52
Martin Thomas
1747
Mew Mitchell
1687
Miles Thomas
1737
Moyse Richard
1764
Medowe Sir T.
1684*
Neech John
1743
Nightingale S.
1860, ’68
Norfor John
1765
Pacey William
1722
Paget Samuel
1817
Palgrave William
1782, 1805, ’14
Palmer J. D.
1821, ’33
Palmer Chas. Jno.
1835, ’54, ’55
Palmer Samuel T.
1840, ’42, ’45
Palmer W. H.
1844
Pearson John
1723, ’36
Pearson Chas.,R.N.
1850, ’51
Penrice George
1837
Pitt Thomas
1776
Preston I.
1816, ’22
Preston E.
1818, ’30
Preston Jacob
1793, 1801, ’18
Preston John
1827, ’31
Preston I., jun.
1834
Preston E. H. L.
1870, ’71*
Pue Jonathan
1718
Pullyn Philip
1817, ’43
Ramey John
1760, ’73
Ramey Joseph
1778
Reynolds J.
1781, ’84
Reynolds F. R.
1804, ’23
Spooner William
1713
Spurgeon John
1712
Steward Robert
1858, ’61, ’62, ’63, ’64
Steward Thos. B.
1876, ’80
Symonds N.
1726, ’77
Taylor Anthy.
1731, ’71
Taylor Chris.
1752*
Taylor William
1783
Teasdel Henry
1873
Thompson Geo.
1791
Tolver Samuel
1789
Turner James
1779
Wakeman Sand.
1765
Wakeman G.
1752, ’58
Wallis John
1761*
Ward G.
1684*, 1728
Ward Robert
1729
Ward James
1751
Warmington Robert
1790, 1808
Watson John
1785
Woolverton Chas.
1869, ’71*, ’72
Worship Francis
1857
Worship W.
1859, ’67
Youell E. Pitt
1866
Note—Those with an *, see Historical Pages.
From 1688 to 1700, two Bailiffs were chosen instead of a Mayor.
The Romans entered this part of Britain when the valleys of the Yare, Waveney, and Bure, as well as the sand-bank upon which Yarmouth stands, were covered by the ocean.
Burgh Castle, a Roman encampment, supposed to have been founded.
Cerdic, a Saxon Prince, and Qenrick his son, with five ships, entered the port of Yarmouth and named in Cerdic Shore. This Cerdic Shore seems to have been a great sand-bank formed along the shore between two branches or channels of the Yare called Havens, by which two channels the river entered the sea, one running near Caister and the other near Gorleston.
Between this and the year 640, a Saxon Monastery was founded at Burgh, by Fursey, an Irish monk.
Lodbrog, the Dane, driven by a sudden tempest from Denmark across the sea, and, entering the Yare, landed at Reedham, where the Court of Edmund, King of East Anglia, was then kept. Lodbrog is said to have been received into Court favour, but was soon afterwards murdered in a wood by the King’s huntsman (Bern) through jealousy. This led to the imprisonment and execution of Edmund, and put an end to the Saxon dynasty in East Anglia, after Hinguar and Hubba, two Danish chieftains, at the head of 20,000 men, had ravished all East Anglia.
First houses and habitations erected in Yarmouth on Fuller’s Hill, that being then the only dry land in Yarmouth.
Yarmouth belonged to the King in the reign of Edward the Confessor, and had 70 burgesses, besides a number of soccagers.
Bishop Herbert born; and in 1091 was consecrated Bishop of Thetford.
Cocklewater, or Grubb’s Haven, stopped up with sand.
St. Bennet’s Church pulled down. It was built in the time of Edward the Confessor.
Yarmouth governed by a Provost, the first constituted magistrate, whose public office was in theCongé, North Quay. Foreigners were only allowed to come to Yarmouth at the annual free-fair.
Bishop Herbert de Lozinga, the first Bishop of Norwich [translated from the See of Thetford in the 7th year of William II. (Rufus), whose Chamberlain he was], founded St. Nicholas’ Church, and re-built a Chapel on the North Denes. He was made Lord High Chancellor to Henry I. of England in 1104, and died August 11th, 1119.
St. Nicholas’ Church consecrated. Enlarged 1123, 1250, and 1338. The last attempt after 10 years’ labour in trying to build a west aisle, failing, the ruins were used in the building of a Chapel-of-Ease.
Forty thousand lives lost at sea during the war between King John and the Barons; a great multitude washed ashore on Yarmouth beach.
Monastery of Black Friars founded by St. Dominica.
Yarmouth had three galleys or vessels of war. Two were manned with seven score mariners.
First charter granted by King John, and Yarmouth incorporated as a borough. The document is still preserved (1834).
All vessels in the port with Scottish property on board were arrested.
Henry III. granted certain franchises. In 1261 he granted licenses for fortifying the town; and on Sept. 28th, 1262, granted a Charter for enclosing the town with a wall and moat, so as to resist the power of an invading enemy. (See 1396.)
The Tolhouse Hall, Middlegate Street, erected.
Yarmouth first calledMagna(Great) in the reign of Edward I., to distinguish it from Little Yarmouth, or Southtown.
The town wall and fosse commenced at the north end of town.
St. Mary’s Hospital founded. It was a free Grammar School in 1551, and fitted up as a school for poor children in 1634.
The Carmelites, or Whitefriars, founded at Yarmouth, and took the north and some other parts of the town under their charge. (See 1509.)
King Henry’s Tower erected at the north-east corner of St. Nicholas’ churchyard.
St. Nicholas’ Church and churchyard consecrated by Bishop Middleton, of Norwich.
The sea flowed into St. Nicholas’ Church 4 feet deep, and the town was inundated.
A beautiful ship built at Yarmouth for King Edward II., and sent to Norway for the King’s daughter, upon her proposed marriage with the then Prince. She was heiress of Norway and Scotland.
No one allowed to draw wine after the Curfew bell had rung.
Yarmouth first summoned to send four Burgesses annually to Parliament.
Sir J. De Botetourt, a Norfolk Knight, had command of a Yarmouth fleet of fifty-three vessels. Fresh herrings sold for 37s. per last.
Simon Blaking, of Martham, fled into St. Nicholas’ Church, and confessed to having broken open a house at Hemsby and the prison at Southtown, and to having killed W. F. N. Blaking. The law in those days was, if a murderer could reach a church or churchyard before being apprehended, and confessed his crime to a coroner, justice, &c., he was set at liberty without taking a trial.
William Fastolf and H. Rose, Esqs., returned to Parliament, held at Lincoln.
Leather was not only used for various military purposes, but formed a considerable part of the common dress of the people before the introduction, and during the infancy, of the woollen manufacture.
Yarmouth claimed a free Borough by the Burgesses.
William Fastolf and H. Rose, Esqs., again returned to Parliament, held at Nottingham.
Price of pipe (120 gals.) of “red wine,” 20s.
During the reigns of Edward II. and III., Richard II., Henry IV., V., and VI., and Edward IV., upwards of 160 Burgesses were returned to Parliament, 72 of which were held at Westminster, 6 at York, 1 at London, Ripon, and New Sarum, and 2 at Gloucester.
Two Parliaments held, but not represented by the same Burgesses.
A Castle stood on the site of the King Street Independent Chapel, but was demolished in 1621.
Great disputes between the Barons of the Cinque Ports and the Bailiffs of this Borough, concerning thefreefair which the former attempted to remove.
Burgesses exempted from serving on Juries, Inquests, or at Assizes, within the Borough.
Blackfriars’ Tower completed.
Forty ships of war ordered to Yarmouth roads.
The Yarmouth navy, comprising 20 men-of-war, had orders to proceed to the port of Dort, to convoy the King’s four plenipotentiaries to the Court of Hainault from those parts to England. On their return they took two Flemish ships and their cargoes. The Bishop of Glasgow, who was on board one, died of his wounds at Sandwich.
Thomas De Drayton, a Yarmouth man, who had held the office of bailiff fifteen times, was appointed Admiral of the North Fleet.
Yarmouth magistrates, &c., fitted out a fleet of men-of-war, well equipped, at their own cost and charge, to go against the enemy at sea for the space of a month.
John Perebrown, a burgess of Yarmouth, led the King’s North Sea Fleet in the great battle of Sluys, and did great service; 230 ships and 30,000 Frenchmen were lost.
Oct. Edward III. embarked on board the Yarmouth squadron in his unsuccessful expedition to Brittany.
The principal inhabitants fined 1000 marks for committing trespasses, &c., on the sea coast.
The first Haven cut.
Yarmouth assisted Edward III. at the siege of Calais with 43 vessels of war and 1,075 mariners, which was 18 ships more than London sent, and more than any other port, except Fowey.
Plague carried off 7,052 persons out of the then population of 10,000.
Yarmouth gave to the St. George’s College of Windsor by charter, a last of red herrings, to be delivered annually for ever on St. Andrew’s day, concerning which many disputes have since arisen.
Passenger boat from Yarmouth to Norwich sunk near Cantley, and 38 persons drowned.
Fastolf, father of the renowned Sir John Fastolf, one of the bailiffs.
Six Yarmouth vessels captured and burnt in the Bay of Brittany.
John Lawers hung for not paying the Custom House dues.
Yarmouth first appointed a staple port.
August 22nd. Kirkley Road united to the town and port of Yarmouth by charter of Edward III., but repealed four years afterwards.
Price of coal, including freight, 5s. 6d. per chaldron.
The memorable rebellion of Wat Taylor. The town attacked by 20,000 rebel archers or bowmen, who plundered houses and did much damage, but who were defeated after much bloodshed.
June 20th. Violent shock of an earthquake, and much damage done.
June. King Richard II. visited Great Yarmouth.
Market Place paved, and a Cross and Pillory built.
William Bardolf, Baron Bardolf, died. He had large estates near Yarmouth.
Sir Henry Percy and Fauset Percy sent to Yarmouth with 300 men-at-arms and 600 archers, to guard the coast, an invasion from France being apprehended.
A Horse Ferry at Gorleston existed.
The second Haven made, and a third in 1408.
Several small Yarmouth and other ships taken by Danish pirates in a sharp conflict off the coast. Lost £20,000 in specie.
After a lapse of 111 years the fortifications of the town were completed—20 towers, 10 gates, and the wall, 2,280 yards in extent. (See 1544.)
Coals first imported here from Newcastle. Wood was used as fuel before this.
Henry IV. granted, by the consent of Parliament, that the shipping, weighing, and packing of wool, hides, and skins, should be done at Yarmouth, it being a frontier town.
Third Haven cut.
The annual election of four Bailiffs, reduced to two, and so continued until a Mayor was appointed in their stead.
Yarmouth Bridge, with 8 arches, built, before which a horse, cart, cattle, and foot ferry-boat existed. This was replaced by 4 successive drawbridges, i.e., 1553, 1570, 1785, and 1836. (See 1849.)
About 60 pilgrims sailed from Yarmouth in the ship “Falcon,” for the shrine at Santiago, in Spain; and in 1434, 20 more left.
The freedom of the Borough purchased for two marks.
Ralph Wadiswyke was made Comptroller of the Customs for taking Lord Doisemond, a French lieutenant, prisoner.
Caister Castle supposed to have been founded by Sir John Fastolf, K.G. He was born in 1377, and died in 1459 in his Hall at Caister, aged 82 years, and was buried in the Abbey Church of St. Bennet, at Holme, leaving his estate to John Paston, Esq.
July 24th. Lord Lieutenants of Counties first appointed.
Sacred Dramas and Mysteries performed in St. Nicholas’ Church.
John Pedle, labourer, of Yarmouth, executed for coining and uttering 18 groats, made of copper and lead, as good and lawful money of England.
Our Lady’s organ in St. Nicholas’ Church built; the old and new organs in 1485; great old organs in 1486; and Jesus’ organ in 1550.
John Paston died in the Fleet Prison, after the seizure of his estates.
Fourteen persons hanged at one time upon a gallows erected on the beach.
The Duke of Norfolk, at the head of 3,000 men, laid siege to Caister Castle, which was surrendered to his Grace. He died in 1475, and Caister Castle again reverted to the Paston family.
Yarmouth threatened by the French fleet. 200 armed men sent from Norwich.
A whale came ashore south of Grubb’s Haven, which was cut to pieces and carried away in carts.
The Bailiffs feasted Sir John Paston, son of the late John Paston, on porpoise, then a royal fish.
May 16th. By charter of Henry VII., Burgesses were empowered to constitute Justices of the Peace.
The fourth Haven made; and the fifth Haven cut in the reign of Henry VIII., 1529.
House of Carmelites, or White Friars, destroyed by fire; founded in Edward I.’s time, 1278.
Southtown united with Gorleston.
Queen of France and her husband, Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, entertained here three days.
Church of the Dominicans burnt down.
Great dearth of corn. The extravagant sale price then was 26s. 8d. per quarter. Several men were hanged for taking part in a riot arising from the same.
Gorleston began to be built upon. (See 1511.)
The first Yarmouth crane erected by Richard Bishop.
Duke of Suffolk suppressed a riot arising from the dearness of corn.
Nov. 1st. Tumult in St. Nicholas’ Church; twenty-four persons, with William Swarton, the chaplain, at their head, disturbed the congregation while the Rev. D. R. Cotton was preaching.
The high altar of St. Nicholas’ Church, remarkable for its richness and beauty, with the saints’ figures and pictures, broken and destroyed.
Oct. 28th. Four merchant heretics entered St. Nicholas’ Church, and created a great disturbance during the service.
Nov. 2nd. A merchant and shoemaker were fined 2s. each for bargaining and selling a last of white herring in the Church.
Sir Humphrey Wingfield returned to Parliament, held at Westminster.
Ordered that Aldermen should wear scarlet gowns, with fur tippets and straight hose, at assemblies and festivals.
Height of town wall, 23 feet. On war being declared the following year with France, a large rampire was thrown up on the eastern side, and afterwards extended along the north and south walls. (See 1396.)
Sir H. Wingfield again returned to Parliament.
At Corporate meetings no member allowed to depart without leave of the Bailiffs; otherwise was fined for disorderly conduct. Members of the Corporation compelled to wear scarlet gowns and straight hose, under penalty of fines.
Two French ships and 120 prisoners taken by the town.
A house for country butchers built.
The sixth Haven made. It was agreed that the money, plate, ornaments, robes, vestments, tunicles, albs, ameffes, belonging to St. Nicholas’ Church, should be disposed of, together with the bells in the steeple and other property in the Church, and the proceeds (£1,816 9s. 7d.) devoted to its construction. The Haven was then commenced, 100 men being employed daily upon it.
A rebellion in the town. Kett’s adherents advanced and destroyed all the materials for the Haven, and laid it in ruins; and the work of the Harbour was stopped till the following year. The next attempt also proved as unsuccessful. Another report says—The Norfolk rebellion, under Kett, the tanner, commenced; but their designs were frustrated by Yarmouth men, who, setting fire to a stack of hay on the west side of the Haven, were able to attack the enemy unseen, and defeated them, many insurgents being killed, 80 taken prisoners, and six pieces of ordnance secured. They were afterwards defeated by the Earl of Warwick at head-quarters in Norwich, and lost some 4,500 men; their leaders, William and Robert Kett, being suspended alive in chains on a gibbet.
Another great Plague. (See 1349.)
The Castle used as a Borough Gaol. During subsequent periods of alarm, it was again repaired. The upper part of it was taken down in 1620, and the following year the whole fabric was ordered to be dismantled and demolished.
Many of the brasses enclosing the inscriptions on the walls of St. Nicholas’ Church sent to London to be cast into weights and measures for the town’s use.
John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.
A Grammar and Free School in existence in Yarmouth, the “Parson of Haddiscoe” being appointed for a quarter of a year on trial. He was succeeded the same year by an “expert man;” and it was agreed that each of the four-and-twenties (Aldermen) should pay towards his living 18d., and each of the eight-and-forties (Common Councilmen) 8d. a-year over the stipends, upon the well-doing of the schoolmaster. From 1551 till 1757, twenty-eight gentlemen were appointed to the Mastership. In 1757 the school appears to have been closed, for we find the master quitting possession and resigning his office; and on Feb. 5th, 1773, the chamberlains were directed to do necessary repairs, and to let the school to Mr. Richard Eaton, the younger, for £4 a-year. The school was re-established in 1863.
Sir W. Wodehouse, Knt., and N. Frymage, Esq., returned to Parliament. Every inhabitant found smoking tobacco or overcome with drink in any tippling-house was apprehended.
Oct. 1st. Robert Eyre and Simon More were chosen Burgesses of the Parliament.
Drawbridge erected to connect Southtown with Great Yarmouth, in place of the one built in 1427, but which was carried away in 1570 by the tide.
Beer sold at 3s. 4d. per thirty-two gallons.
This year and two following, six Aldermen were returned to Parliament.
Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, High Steward of the Borough.
Fifty vessels wrecked off Yarmouth within 24 hours.
A fire beacon placed on the top of the Castle, as the Haven was very dangerous.
No brewer allowed to brew in the town unless by the appointment of the Bailiffs.
Another attempt to form a Haven, a ship being sunk at the mouth to stem the tide. But this project was abandoned the following year, and it was stopped up with furze bundles in 1557.
The Hermitage on the west side of the Haven given to the town.
Dec. 1st. The town inundated. Men rowed up and down the streets in boats, and several ships were drawn over the Denes with windlasses.
The ground on the south side of Town Hall was, in the time of Queen Elizabeth, called “The South Foreland,” or “Furlong’s End.” In 1568 the houses there standing were given by William Garton to the churchwardens for the use of the Church. In 1622 they were repaired, and in 1674 rebuilt. John Fastolf, the father of Sir John Fastolf, of Caister Castle, had a house in the “Foreland,” but whereabouts cannot now be discovered. These houses were re-fronted by the present owner in 1866.
Sir T. Wodehouse, Knt., and William Barker, Esq., returned to Parliament.
The Market Cross repaired.
May 26th. Queen Elizabeth granted a Charter for the better security, defence, and protection of the town.
Jan. 8th. The present (seventh) Haven commenced. Joyce Johnson, the eminent Dutch engineer, who superintended the construction, was paid 4s. a day. This Haven was cut near the spot of the one made in 1529. Nearly 1,000 persons, including women and children, were employed about the works, which were completed on March 4th to the satisfaction of the inhabitants. In 1566 the water broke through, and made its old channel towards Newton Cross.
First Jetty erected, having a crane at the end to facilitate the landing of goods from boats. Re-built in 1767.
Three town wells opened.
Thomas Timperley and William Grice, Esqs., were returned to Parliament; the latter was also returned in 1570 with William Barker, Esq.; in 1571 with John Bacon, Esq.; and in 1584 and 1585 with Thomas Damett, Esq.
Three small silver maces, belonging to the Corporation, made.
Herrings very scarce, and sold for £9 a last.
Piers built on both sides of the Haven’s mouth.
The London Privy Council lent the town of Yarmouth £1,000 without interest, for repairing the Haven, which was refunded by instalments of £100 a-year.
Three ships of war compelled to leave by the town guns.
Haven expenses for the year, £1,230 12s. 4d.
The Paston family sold Caister Castle to meet their embarrassments.
Herrings sold for £8 a last; a tun (4 hogshds.) of wine was also of the same value.
Part of the town wall fell through being overcharged.
Mr. Vincent Goodwin first preacher appointed at St. Nicholas’ Church.
Drawbridge carried away by high tide, and another constructed in 1785, at a cost of £403 15s. 9d., notwithstanding £225 had been expended the year previous in repairs.
Thatched roofs to houses forbidden, and wood was substituted.
Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.
Brewers ordered to brew with coals instead of wood.
Every ale-house licensed by the Bailiffs.
Regulations made to prevent goods lying on the Quay longer than necessary.
A Bill introduced to Parliament to enroll Yarmouth as a Cinque Port; but this was not properly carried out. In 1702 the Government of Yarmouth was settled under Anne in its proper and present form.
Feb. 10th. Mr. Harbrowne elected to Parliament in place of John Bacon, Esq., but only served one day, the latter being re-elected.
Edward Owner born. He represented the town in Parliament four times, and died August 13th, 1650.
A part of the Hospital, Market Place, converted into a House of Correction.
Burgh Water Frolic first spoken of, being a grand event, and patronized by the Mayor and Corporation.
Inhabitants prohibited from washing their clothes near the public wells.
Lord Burleigh and the Earl of Leicester paid Yarmouth a visit, and were entertained at the Priory. Queen Elizabeth was expected, and a silver cup, in the form of a ship, costing £16, made for presentation to her Majesty, but she reached no further than Norwich.
Scratby Sand became entirely dry land, and raised its head so much above high-water mark, that grass, &c., grew on it, and sea birds built their nests. It was called “Yarmouth Island,” and was a favourite resort in the summer season for Yarmouth people.
May to Sept. Great plague; 2,000 persons died, and the Grammar School shut up for six months. (See 1349 and 1550.)
August 2nd. Dinner provided for 43 gentlemen on a sandbank out at sea, called Scratby Sand. In 1582 it was swept away by a strong easterly wind and tide, much to the disappointment of Sir Edward Clare, Knt., who had made a claim to it. Valuable wreckage was often found there.
2,000 lasts (2,640,000 single fish) of herrings brought in on one tide.
Large fish, 17 yards long, the jaw 3¼ yards long, body 4½ yards thick, caught at Caister.
No one could be elected a Burgess in Parliament unless he was an Alderman.
The Privy Council requested the town to provide ships for the transport of 400 soldiers into the Low Countries. To raise funds, every Alderman advanced £5, and every Common Councilman £2 10s., the rest of the money being raised by assessment.
Pulpit erected at the west-end of St. Nicholas’ Church; removed in 1635. Another erected in the south-east comer of the south aisle, which was also removed in 1846.
Number of “tippling houses” in Yarmouth restricted to 16.
John Stubbs and Roger Drury, Esqs., elected to Parliament.
William Cecil, Lord Burleigh, K.G., High Steward of the Borough. In 1578 he visited Yarmouth in company with the Earl of Leicester.
Preparations to receive the Spanish Armada. The fortifications put into the best state of defence, a boom thrown across the Haven at the south gates, and a mound of earth raised higher than the walls, called the “South Mount,” on which was placed several pieces of ordnance. Another mound, the “New Mount,” was afterwards thrown up near St. George’s Chapel, anda warlike ship fitted out at the town’s expense to annoy the enemy at sea, and preparations made to lodge and provision a garrison of 1,000 men. The sum of £1,355 4s. 9d. was assessed on the County.
No victualler or innkeeper allowed to retail any “strange beer” under pain of forfeiture.
An ale-house or tavern could only be kept by a Freeman or the widow of a Freeman.
Two Yarmouth ships required to carry out 150 soldiers to Normandy.
T. Damett, Esq., again returned to Parliament with John Felton, Esq.
The fishing nets used by boat owners valued at £50,000.
John Felton, Esq., again returned to Parliament with Sir H. Hobart.
Elizabethan House on the Quay, built by Benjamin Cowper. It was sold to John Carter, a friend of Oliver Cromwell. The supporters of Cromwell frequently assembled in this house, and it is supposed that the death of Charles I. was here determined on. It was for many years previously to Feb. 26th, 1867, the residence and property of the late Charles J. Palmer, Esq., F.S.A.
Arthur Wilson born at Yarmouth. He published an account of the life and reign of James I, written with much freedom, and displaying a thorough knowledge of Court intrigues; but the liberties he took in exposing the propensities of that monarch and his son towards the Catholic cause, brought upon him the vehement censure of the friends of the Stuart family, who said that he had written from conjectures rather than from records, and that his work was more like a pasquinade than an authentic history. He was for many years an attendant on the Earl of Essex, and afterwards steward to the Earl of Warwick. He died in 1652.
Seven hundred vessels in the Haven at one time.
The number of Rows was seven score (140).
The south side of the Hospital School used as a House of Correction.
Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.
Rev. Thomas Nash published the “Lenten Stuffe,” containing a poetical and satirical description of Yarmouth, &c., and a play in “Praise of a Red Herring.” He was born at Lowestoft in 1567, and died in 1600. He was called by Dr. Lodge “the true English Gifford or Aretino.” His name is mentioned by Michael Drayton, and also in the play, “Return from Parnassus.” (Videpage 486, Pimperley’s “Encyclopædia of Literary and Typ. Anecdote.”)
One penny per swill by day and 1½d. at night were charged for carting herrings from the beach.
Caister Castle deserted as a residence.
Sir Henry Hobart and T. Damett, Esq., again returned to Parliament; the latter, with John Wheeler, Esq., also returned on the accession of James I.
The Dutch Chapel, South Quay, built, and afterwards converted into a Theatre.
Every Alderman, or his deputy, with a constable, ordered to visit all ale-houses and taverns twice a week, and make inquiries respecting the customers.
The washing and rinsing of nets near the public wells forbidden.
The town required to provide and provision ships for transporting 600 soldiers to the Low Countries.
Charles Howard, Earl of Nottingham, K.G., Lord High Admiral of England, elected High Steward of the Borough.
A third Market Cross erected.
The three local rivers frozen over for 40 days.
James I. made Yarmouth a free Borough by charter, by the title of Bailiff, Aldermen, Burgesses, and Commonalty; which charter in 1683 (Charles II.) was surrendered to the King. (See July 22nd, 1684.)
Drapers, mercers, grocers, and haberdashers prohibited from having stalls in the market.
Herring Fair held. A great scarcity of herrings this year—a last of Windsor herrings being sold for £15 5s.
Great damage done to the Piers by a raging tide.
Aldermen who had held office as Bailiffs, compelled to wear scarlet gowns with tippets, under pain of a 40s. fine. (See 1541.)
The present Haven completed at a cost of £38,682, and from this date to 1770 inclusive, £215,644 had been expended about the Haven and Piers.
Sir Theophilus Finch and G. Hardware, Esq., returned to Parliament, but the former was succeeded soon after by Sir Henry Hobart.
One hundred jacobuses (a gold coin struck in the time of James I.) presented to King James I. by the town, as a mark of loyalty and affection.
At Corporate meetings no gentleman allowed to make uncomely and indecent speeches out of time and order, or create a disturbance when touching upon any public good, or even allowed to make a remark till the previous speaker had sat down, under penalty of fine or dismissal.
About 50 Yarmouth fishermen laid up their vessels, having no licenses for exportation.
License granted for the export of 600 lasts of herrings, which was annually renewed till 1624.
The Cage or Stock-house set up.
An ordinance made that all doors opening outwards into the Rows should be made to swing inwards, otherwise the constables would nail them up, and levy a fine of 5s. on the owners.
The last demand made by the Crown for furnishing vessels of war, until Charles I. resorted to that means of raising a revenue without the sanction of Parliament.
Dec. 21st. John Cowldham, J.P., four times a Bailiff, died, aged 84 years.
B. Cowper and Edward Owner, Esqs., free Burgesses, elected to Parliament.
“Tippling houses” had increased to 40, and were restricted to that number.
Benjamin Cowper, Esq., re-elected, with G. Hardware, Esq., to serve in Parliament.
Artillery yard on the site of present Unitarian Chapel.
Dec. 29th. Poor people were ordered not to marry unless sanctioned in writing by the Chief Alderman and Chief Constable.
Manship, who wrote the “History of Great Yarmouth,” died. He was Town Clerk in 1579.
Sir John Corbet and E. Owner, Esq., elected to Parliament; and in the same year Sir John was re-elected with Thomas Johnson, Esq.
Fish Market, on the site of the present, covered in and paved. Covering removed in 1844.
Robert Sydney, Earl of Leicester, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.
Nicholas Felton, Bishop of Ely, died. He was a native of Yarmouth, and one of the prelates employed by James I. in the new translation of the Bible.
Sir John Wentworth and Miles Corbet, Esq., elected to Parliament.
The town obtained leave to export 1,000 lasts of herrings, which continued till 1637, when £50 per annum was demanded by the Trinity for 10 years, and afterwards for 40 years.
Twelve hundred householders in Yarmouth.
Edward Sackville, Earl of Dorset, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.
Fishing with a trawl prohibited by proclamation.
£1 a quarter paid by the town to the Postmaster of Ipswich for carrying letters to and from Yarmouth for London.
Tobacco allowed only to be retailed in this town by one apothecary, six grocers, two hosiers, one merchant, and a chairmaker.
June 26th. Four Frenchmen executed for murdering Nicholas Harpley.
Aldermen’s wives compelled to wear velvet hats up to this date, when the ordinance was annulled.
Thirty-four brewing-houses in Yarmouth.
Miles Corbet, Esq., re-elected, with Edward Owner, Esq., as members of Parliament.
The East and West Flegg granted to the family of Cornwallis.
Oct. 12th. A ship, with 140 armed soldiers on board, through stress of weather, put into Yarmouth port; she was seized by the townsmen, and her crew and soldiers imprisoned on behalf of the Parliament.
Sept. Earl of Warwick, Lord High Admiral, visited Yarmouth, and was entertained by the Corporation.
Dec. 23rd. A rate of £1,200 assessed upon the inhabitants for the fortifications.
The town collected £136 for the relief of distressed subjects in Ireland.
Feb. Lord Grey of Werke required Yarmouth to send 80 dragoons to Cambridge.
The number of “tippling-houses” increased to 80, besides great inns and taverns; and in 1705 augmented to 120.
Letters between Yarmouth and London only passed once a week.
Twenty Iceland fishing barques belonging to Yarmouth merchants taken by pirates, only three escaping.
Additional fortifications made. Breastworks and platforms built at the seaside, and ordnance mounted on them.
The Earl of Lauderdale visited Yarmouth, and was sumptuously entertained at the town’s expense.
Sep. 9th. Lord Fairfax marched into Yarmouth, and the town was converted into a garrison.
Three men-of-war ships sent to convoy the fishers and guard the coast.
The Burgesses raised 600 foot and 50 horse soldiers, in lieu of having other forces marched into the town to do garrison duty.
Four Aldermen and 16 Common Councillors resigned office in the Corporation; 6 were afterwards reinstated.
The Puritans removed a fine old organ from St. Nicholas’ Church.
The Presbyterians made a doorway in the north wall of the Parish Church, and opened the north aisle of the chancel for public worship.
Up to this date prayer was always used before the commencement of public business.
Admiral Blake sent several ships to Yarmouth, which he had captured from the Dutch.
Dr. Thomes Soame died. He was the son of a fisherman at Yarmouth, but related to a wealthy family of the same name at Burnham. He lived in the reign of Charles I., and having entered holy orders he became minister of Staines in Middlesex, and Prebendary of Windsor. During the civil wars he was so zealously attached to Royalty that he sent all he had to the King, so that when the rebels came to plunder him he had nothing, for which he was imprisoned, first in Newgate, and afterwards in the Fleet Prison, where he died.
June 6th. Yarmouth sent 5 members to the “Little” Parliament summoned by Cromwell. Resigned Dec. 12th.
Aug. 29th. General Monk granted a warrant to free Yarmouth fishermen from being pressed into the service of the State.
Lord Henry, youngest son of Oliver Cromwell, High Steward of the Borough.
Norfolk sent ten members to Parliament.
Dec. 16th. Oliver Cromwell proclaimed in the Market Place Protector of the Commonwealth of the United Kingdom.
Colonel William Goffe and Thomas Dunne, Esq., were elected Burgesses to Parliament by 3 Aldermen and 26 Common Councilmen.
William Burton and C. G. Cock, Esqs., elected to Parliament.
W. Burton and C. G. Cock, Esqs., re-elected to Parliament.
Yarmouth people sent to Southwold 30 coombs of wheat and 10 coombs of rye for the sufferers from a fire which consumed the greater part of that town.
Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, High Steward of the Borough.
A “Healing Parliament” called, and Sir J. Palgrave, Bart., and Miles Corbet, Esq., elected.
Sir William D’Oyley, Bart., and Sir W. Coventry, Bart., Secretary to the Admiralty, returned to Parliament.
Contention and bloodshed through concurrent jurisdiction ceased, when the Cinque Ports dissolved government with Yarmouth.
Dec. 10th. James Smith was fined £10 for saying of Sir Thomas Medowe, a Bailiff, “He is a fool, and I have killed a bull of 80s. that had better brains than Sir Thomas have.”
Jan. 22nd. Rev. John Brinsley, sen., lecturer in Yarmouth, died, aged 64.
Two thousand five hundred persons died of plague, including two ministers of St. Nicholas’ Church. (See 1349, 1550, and 1579.)