HOLYWELL,(Flintshire.)

Chester

18

Denbigh

14

Flint

5

London

201

Mold

10

Northop

6

Rhuddlan

11

St. Asaph

10

Holywell, called by the Welsh Trêffynnon, (or the Town of the Well,) is an improving and pleasantly-situated place, on the great road from Chester to Holyhead; the town and parish containing a population of 10,834, with a crowded market on the Friday.

But before going into any topographical particulars, we must introduce our readers to the legend of the miraculous well of the famous St. Winefred, as put into an agreeable narrative by Miss Costello:—

We stopped at a remarkably good inn, and lost no time in going down the steep hill at the bottom of which the pretty little chapel over the fine well is situated.  Nothing can be more secluded and pleasing than its position by the side of the handsome church with its low churchyard, all placed in a deep hollow, so removed from the upper town, that the bells summoning to prayer cannot be heard above, and a ringer is accustomed to go about the town with the large bell slung round his shoulders, and a cushion on his knee, against which the bell beats as he walks, and proclaims his holy errand.  This old custom, doubtless of considerable antiquity, is still kept up, and we are glad that, being there on a Sunday, we were able to see the perambulating belfry.Margaret, the mother of Henry VII., erected the graceful chapel whose fretted roof is the boast of Holywell, but one had existed long before her time; for the miracle of St. Winefred happened, according to the monks of the Basingwerk, to whom the world is indebted for the legend, early in the seventh century, and is thus told:Winefred, a beautiful and devout virgin, lived in the reign of an imaginary king, and was of noble birth, and the niece of a man whose sanctity had already made him conspicuous, and who was known as the good Beuno.  A prince of the country, whose name was Caradoc, saw the fair damsel, and loved her; but his passion was not so pure as her goodness ought to have inspired.  Even then there was a chapel at the foot of the hill, where, while Beuno was at the altar praying with certain of the inhabitants of the neighbouring town, amongst whom were the parents of Winefred, to the astonishment of all, a head rolled and bounded into the sacred inclosure, and stopped at the altar.  Beuno stooped to raise up the head, and observed that where it had rested, instead of the pool of blood which was there but an instant before, a stream of crystal water had sprung up.  His amazement was increased when he found that the beautiful features and golden hair of the head he gazed upon were those of his beloved niece.  He hastened from the spot, and mounting the hill, discovered her mutilated body lying prostrate, and the cruel prince Caradoc flying with a drawn sword in his hand.  The truth became clear to him at once.  Winefred had fled from the importunities of the prince who, pursuing, had wreaked his vengeance on her by cutting off her head.  The saint, for such Beuno afterwardsbecame, immediately with devout prayers joined the severed head to the body, when, to the awe and delight of all beholders, the virgin arose, as if from sleep, uninjured and lovely as ever, nor was there a trace left of the accident but a slight white mark, like a thread, round her throat.  Beuno cursed the caitif prince, “who melted away as wax melts before the fire.”  Winefred lived fifteen years after this event; she founded a monastery at Gwytherin in Denbighshire, of which she became the abbess, and died there.Before the event of her decapitation, it seems the valley was particularly dry, so much so as to bear the name ofSychnant,[130]from that circumstance; therefore it was most fortunate that the head of the pursued damsel should have rolled where it did.  Not only did the spring attest the miracle, but the very moss and stones around have properties that enforce the belief.  The moss emits an odoriferous smell in testimony of the saint’s purity, and the stones at the bottom are stained with her blood, and keep their tint to this day.  It is true that some naturalists, who had not the same motive for keeping the world in ignorance as the monks of Basingwerk had, have proclaimed that the moss is only a sweet-scented plant calledJungermannia asplenoides, and that the crimson stains on the stones are produced by a vegetable namedByssus jolithus, by no means uncommon, thus characterised by Linnæus: “the Byssus easily betrays itself by giving the stones, to which it adheres, an appearance of being smeared with blood.  If rubbed, the plant yields a smell like violets.”

We stopped at a remarkably good inn, and lost no time in going down the steep hill at the bottom of which the pretty little chapel over the fine well is situated.  Nothing can be more secluded and pleasing than its position by the side of the handsome church with its low churchyard, all placed in a deep hollow, so removed from the upper town, that the bells summoning to prayer cannot be heard above, and a ringer is accustomed to go about the town with the large bell slung round his shoulders, and a cushion on his knee, against which the bell beats as he walks, and proclaims his holy errand.  This old custom, doubtless of considerable antiquity, is still kept up, and we are glad that, being there on a Sunday, we were able to see the perambulating belfry.

Margaret, the mother of Henry VII., erected the graceful chapel whose fretted roof is the boast of Holywell, but one had existed long before her time; for the miracle of St. Winefred happened, according to the monks of the Basingwerk, to whom the world is indebted for the legend, early in the seventh century, and is thus told:

Winefred, a beautiful and devout virgin, lived in the reign of an imaginary king, and was of noble birth, and the niece of a man whose sanctity had already made him conspicuous, and who was known as the good Beuno.  A prince of the country, whose name was Caradoc, saw the fair damsel, and loved her; but his passion was not so pure as her goodness ought to have inspired.  Even then there was a chapel at the foot of the hill, where, while Beuno was at the altar praying with certain of the inhabitants of the neighbouring town, amongst whom were the parents of Winefred, to the astonishment of all, a head rolled and bounded into the sacred inclosure, and stopped at the altar.  Beuno stooped to raise up the head, and observed that where it had rested, instead of the pool of blood which was there but an instant before, a stream of crystal water had sprung up.  His amazement was increased when he found that the beautiful features and golden hair of the head he gazed upon were those of his beloved niece.  He hastened from the spot, and mounting the hill, discovered her mutilated body lying prostrate, and the cruel prince Caradoc flying with a drawn sword in his hand.  The truth became clear to him at once.  Winefred had fled from the importunities of the prince who, pursuing, had wreaked his vengeance on her by cutting off her head.  The saint, for such Beuno afterwardsbecame, immediately with devout prayers joined the severed head to the body, when, to the awe and delight of all beholders, the virgin arose, as if from sleep, uninjured and lovely as ever, nor was there a trace left of the accident but a slight white mark, like a thread, round her throat.  Beuno cursed the caitif prince, “who melted away as wax melts before the fire.”  Winefred lived fifteen years after this event; she founded a monastery at Gwytherin in Denbighshire, of which she became the abbess, and died there.

Before the event of her decapitation, it seems the valley was particularly dry, so much so as to bear the name ofSychnant,[130]from that circumstance; therefore it was most fortunate that the head of the pursued damsel should have rolled where it did.  Not only did the spring attest the miracle, but the very moss and stones around have properties that enforce the belief.  The moss emits an odoriferous smell in testimony of the saint’s purity, and the stones at the bottom are stained with her blood, and keep their tint to this day.  It is true that some naturalists, who had not the same motive for keeping the world in ignorance as the monks of Basingwerk had, have proclaimed that the moss is only a sweet-scented plant calledJungermannia asplenoides, and that the crimson stains on the stones are produced by a vegetable namedByssus jolithus, by no means uncommon, thus characterised by Linnæus: “the Byssus easily betrays itself by giving the stones, to which it adheres, an appearance of being smeared with blood.  If rubbed, the plant yields a smell like violets.”

Fortunately, all the botanical and other students of the days of St. Winefred were monks, who knew well how to keep their own counsel, and turn their knowledge to their own advantage.

Our fair tourist proceeds to narrate some of the “miracles and lying wonders,” which are said to have occurred during the removal of the devout virgin’s corpse from Gwytherin to Shrewsbury; and then comes a conclusion, which we suppose the devotees of the saint of the Holy Well will regard as nothing less than “flat blasphemy.”  “After all this,” observes Miss Costello, “it is mortifying to find that the blessed St. Winefred never existed at all, nor was more than an Undine, a thought, a name, a fairy of a fountain! for Gwenvrewy, as she is called in Welsh, signifiesthe white hill water, or thewhite gushing stream, meaning the overflowing well which Nature formed without a miracle.”

As our province is rather to describe the well itself, than to bandy arguments about the lady whose name it bears, we may briefly state that it is one of the most remarkable springs of water in the kingdom.

The well is an oblong square, about twelve feet by seven.  The water passes into a small square court through an arch, under which the Roman Catholics used to swim as an act of penance.  The quantity of water thrown up is not less than eighty-four hogsheads every minute.  This water has never been known to freeze, and scarcely ever varies in quantity, either in drought, or after the greatest rains.  Though this stream has little more than a mile to run before it arrives at the sea, a great number of mills, forges, and other works are kept in motion by it, three of which are placed abreast.

The sacred well is the object of many pilgrimages, even in this day, and several modern miracles are related of the influence of its waters.  Pope Martin the fifth especially enjoined such pilgrimages, and the monks of Basingwerk were furnished with pardons and indulgences to sell to the devotees.  James the Second visited the well in 1686; and Leopold, king of the Belgians, in 1819.

Apart from all superstitious notions, its waters doubtless possess many sanative properties.

The authoress of the new romance of “Llywelyn’s Heir,” says with reference to this charmed place: “We would recommend any strangers to the spot to visit it, should an opportunity offer, and judge with their own eyes of the lightness and beauty of the tall pointed arches and the flying buttresses that adorn the exterior; and to decide whether the interior is not even more worthy of notice.  The well, into which the miraculous stream pours forth its astounding body of water, is polygonal; the columns that rise above it are singularly beautiful, and after many serpentine wanderings, meet and form a canopy worthy of the water-king, who doubtless frequently holds there his court.  The legend of the saint, and beautiful carvings in stone are scattered around; but they appear to have been placed there to do honour to the house of Stanley, and not to the saint—by no means an astonishing circumstance, for the saint had been long dead, and was probably tired of working miracles; and the Stanleys were living, and willing to bestowmunificent gifts, of which this building and the chapel above it remain memorials to this day.”

The church, dedicated to St. Winefred, and rebuilt in 1769, is a rather spacious structure of Grecian architecture, 68 feet long by 56 wide; consisting of a nave with north and south aisles, with a chancel, in which is a window embellished with modern stained glass.  It has also two large galleries over the aisles, and the whole is calculated to contain about 3,000 persons.  Remains of the ancient edifice are still seen in the remarkably plain pillars on each side of the nave.  It contains several monuments and tablets, and amongst them one by Westmacott, erected to the memory of Paul Panton, Esq.

Under the chancel are the vaults of the Mostyns of Talacre, the Pennants of Downing, and the Pantons of Bagillt; in the chancel is a neat cenotaph, in memory of Mary, mother of the late Edward Pennant, Esq.  On the wall, at the end of the same aisle, is a flat stone with twelve quarterings, copied from those over the chimney-piece in the dining-room at Mostyn.

In rebuilding the church, the headless figure of a priest was found in his sacerdotal habit, and with a chalice in his hand.  He is supposed to have been Thomas, second son of Thomas ap David, abbot of Basingwerk.  This headless trunk is often exhibited to the wondering as the image of the blessed St. Winefred!  The service is alternately English and Welsh, and at night there are English lectures.  Holywell contains several meeting-houses for the various denominations of dissenters.  A new Roman Catholic chapel has lately been erected.

The environs, which are studded with numerous handsome residences and gentlemen’s seats, abound with richly diversified scenery; and from the higher grounds are obtained extensive and varied prospects over the surrounding country, which is rich in picturesque beauty.  The air is salubrious, and the opportunities of cold and sea-bathing, render it not only a pleasant place of permanent residence, but also of occasional resort for invalids, for whose comfort every accommodation is provided, with the benefit of good medical advice, and the advantage of numerous pleasant rides and walks in the immediate neighbourhood.—There are several good inns in the town, the principal of which are, the White Horse, King’s Arms, King’s Head, and the Red Lion.

For many ages, the copious stream of St. Winefred served only to turn a corn-mill belonging to Basingwerk abbey, and itwas not till the year 1777 that Holywell began to emerge from obscurity, when Mr. Smalley introduced the cotton manufacture, and erected a mill on a principle similar to that of one built at Cromford, by Sir Richard Arkwright.  Soon after this, Mr. Smalley was joined by an opulent company from Lancashire, and erected, in 1783, a larger mill, now called the upper mill, which worked 12,218 spindles; the same company, in 1787, built the lower mill, adapted to the working 7492 spindles, and in 1791, the crescent mill, in which 8286 spindles were kept in motion.  These mills were applied to the spinning of cotton thread, of which 26,098lb was produced on an avenge weekly, furnishing employment to nearly one thousand persons.  A great part of that trade has now left Holywell, and the buildings are applied to other branches of manufacture.

There are, upon the same stream, several extensive copper mills, for rolling sheet copper, the manufacture of every description of copper vessels, copper bolts used in ship-building, and copper cylinders: there is also a mill for drawing copper wire, &c.  Besides these, there are a large iron foundry, a paper mill, and zinc works.

The district immediately around Holywell, is pre-eminently distinguished for the richness of its mineral treasures, and particularly for its mines of lead and calamine, which appear to have been worked from the earliest period, and continue still to form an almost inexhaustible source of wealth.

(Or Maes-glâs), called also Greenfield Monastery, is beautifully situated in a meadow, about a mile east of Holywell among rich meadows, commanding a fine view of the Cheshire shore, with a profusion of spreading sycamores, and groves of ancient trees on all sides.  Its time-worn and crumbling ruins are, from some points of view, highly picturesque.

The little at present left of the abbey is scarcely sufficient to indicate its former extent.  The church, which stood on the east side, is totally destroyed.

Near to the abbey, a castle formerly reared its towers, but of this scarcely a vestige remains visible.  Close to this spot also runs the celebrated Watt’s Dyke, which terminates at the Dee below.  It is clearly traced hence through Northop, Hope, Wrexham, and the grounds of Wynnstay, to Maesbury, nearOswestry, where it ends.—About three miles north-west of Holywell, is

The seat of Viscount Fielding, who married, in June 1846, Miss Pennant, the heiress to the estate.  The present house was built, probably on the site of an older mansion, in 1627, but has lately undergone great improvements.  This hall was the birth-place and residence of the celebrated author, Mr. Thomas Pennant, whose antiquarian and topographical researches form an important contribution to the historical records of the country.  The walks are agreeable and diversified, particularly in the immediate vicinity of the mansion, which is approached by a rural path, winding through a beautiful and well-wooded dingle.  Much taste is displayed in the landscape gardening and horticultural arrangements of this little paradise.—About a mile and a half north-west of Downing, on the summit of a lofty hill, stands

An ancient circular building of great height, in form not much unlike a windmill.  It is apharos, or Roman light-house, erected by that people to conduct navigators to and from the Deva.  It is tolerably entire, and built of lime-stone, bedded in hard mortar.  The antiquary will not begrudge a walk to examine this ancient relique bequeathed to us by the conquerors of the world.—Two miles north-west of Downing, lies the ancient structure of

The property and residence of the Hon. Edward Mostyn Lloyd Mostyn, M.P., nephew of the late Sir Thomas Mostyn, and heir apparent of Lord Mostyn, of Pengwern.  The house is approached by a magnificent gateway, called Porth Mawr, erected at the termination of a venerable avenue of forest trees, leading to one vestibule of the mansion, which stands in a small but beautiful and well-wooded park, about half a mile from the estuary of the Dee.  The mansion is worth the attention of the tourist and antiquary.  It is of the Elizabethan age, though built upon the site of a former house erected in the reign of Henry the Sixth.  In the spacious hall are several specimens of armour and implements of warfare previous to the introduction of fire-arms.  The rooms are literally crowdedwith family portraits, by the old masters, the principal of which are Sir Roger and Lady Mostyn.  There are several fine portraits of Charles the First, including an original by Vandyke.  In the dining-room, the sideboard is formed of one piece of plank, quite a curiosity; it is nearly six feet wide, and twelve feet long; and is hewn, not sawed.  The tapestry parlour is beautiful.  The mansion is noted for the maintenance of English hospitality after the manner of “the olden time.”

During the time that Henry, Earl of Richmond, was secretly conspiring the overthrow of the house of York, he passed concealed from place to place, in order to form an interest among the Welsh, who favoured his cause on account of their respect to his grandfather, Owen Tudor, their countryman.  While he was at Mostyn, a party attached to Richard the Third arrived there to apprehend him.  He was then about to dine, but had just time to leap out of a back window, and make his escape through a hole, which to this day is called the King’s Window.  Richard ap Howel, then Lord of Mostyn, joined Henry at the battle of Bosworth: and after the victory, received from the King, in token of gratitude for his preservation, the belt and sword he wore on that day.

There are many curious objects of antiquity at Mostyn, including a golden torque found at Harlech; a silver harp, in the possession of the family since 1568; the Mostyn pedigree; and the largest private collection of Welsh manuscripts in the Principality.  The Gloddaeth library and manuscripts, as well as similar literary stores from other mansions of this family, have been brought here; for the reception of which, the hon. proprietor has erected a library worthy of the collection.

To the treasures of Mostyn has also been added a splendid candelabrum valued at one thousand guineas, presented by the political friends of the Hon. Mr. Mostyn, who, on the day of the presentation, October 31, 1843, entertained the subscribers, amounting to several hundreds, in a manner worthy of the best days of the ancient, princely, loyal, and hospitable house of Mostyn.

Holywell

Rhuddlan

6

St. Asaph

10

The village of Llanasa is situated in a pleasant valley at the northern extremity of the county, on the south-westernshore of the estuary of the Dee.  The church has two east windows, in the more ancient of which is some fine stained glass, brought from Basingwerk abbey.  The church-yard contains some curious tomb-stones.—In the neighbourhood are several genteel residences, and about two miles from the village is

the seat of Sir Pyers Mostyn, a branch of the family of the Mostyns of Mostyn.  The old house was built in the time of James the First; but when the late baronet came into possession of the estate, it was razed to the ground for the purpose of building another mansion on its site.  The first stone of the new house was laid by Sir Edward Mostyn, on the 31st day of July, 1824.  When the shell was completed, part of it was burnt down by an accidental fire on the night of the 11th of September, 1827; but it was soon rebuilt, and finished in a magnificent style.  The house is an old English mansion, of truly handsome appearance, erected after a design and under the superintendence of Mr. T. Jones, architect, of Chester.—Within a short distance of Llanasa, and situated on an eminence near the confluence of the Dee with the Irish Sea, is

built by the late John Douglas, Esq.  It is a building in the castellated style of English architecture, having several lofty and elegant towers, from the summit of which the view is very extensive, commanding the surrounding hills, and those of Yorkshire, Derbyshire, and Staffordshire; the Isle of Man, Beeston Castle, Chester, and Liverpool, are also discernible; and, in the opposite direction, a small part of the Snowdonian chain may be observed.—About a mile from Llanasa, is

the admired residence of Edward Morgan, Esq., erected in 1578; but it has been considerably improved and enlarged within the last forty years.  The house occupies a sheltered situation among the hills, whence the prospect is extensive and pleasing.

Beddgelert

12

Caernarvon

10

Capel Curig

10

Dolbadarn

2

This village, situated on the road between Caernarvon and Capel Curig, derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Peris, a British, or, as some affirm, a Roman saint, who had been a cardinal of Rome, and is said to have resided in this celebrated spot with Padarn, an anchorite about the sixth century, who had a cell or small chapel, in a meadow between Dolbadarn castle, and old Dolbadarn inn, now called the “Snowdonia.”

The church, situated in a deeply sequestered glen about half a mile above the upper lake, is a small, low structure, of the most primitive character.

Near the church is the well of St. Peris, formerly famed for its miraculous efficacy in the cure of diseases, and therefore a place of resort with pilgrims and devotees.

The parish of Llanberis is very large in extent, and is divided into two districts or townships, viz. Nant-ucha’, alias Nant-Peris, and Nant-isa’, alias Nant-Padarn, and comprises several of the loftiest mountains in the Principality, besides numerous natural objects worthy the research of the curious.

The village of Llanberis is romantic in the extreme.  It lies in a narrow grassy glen, surrounded by immense rocks, whose cloud-capped summits are seldom visible to the inhabitants below.  All the parts immediately surrounding the village were formerly covered with wood; but, except some saplings from the old roots, there are at present very few trees left.  In the memory of persons lately living, there were great woods of oak in several parts of these mountains.  In the tenth century the whole country must have been nearly covered with wood, for one of the laws of Howel Dda (Howel the Good) directs that “whoever cleared away timber from any land, even without the consent of the owner, he should, for five years, have a right to the land so cleared; and after that time it should again revert to the owner.”

The Pass of Llanberis presents a scene of wild grandeur and fearful sublimity, of the most impressive and majestic character.

Amidst the vast ranges of these British Alps, are two beautiful lakes.  The upper one at Llanberis, called also Llyn Peris, is about a mile in length, and nearly half of one in breadth; the depth is said, in places, to be one hundred and forty yards.  The other, called Llyn Padarn, is about a mile and a half long, but so narrow as to assume rather the appearance of a river than a lake.  Between these, a communication is formed by a stream, and out of the lower issues the river Seiont, which, after flowing in an irregular diffused manner, discharges itself into the Menai at Caernarvon.  At the foot of the lower lake is a rural and picturesque stone bridge, leading to a most perfect Roman station, called Dinas Dinorwic, partly natural and partly artificial.  It is in fine preservation.

(Or Padarn’s Meadow), so called from Padarn, a British saint of obscure note.  Since the opening of the new line of road from Caernarvon to Capel Curig, Llanberis has become the principal resort of parties visiting Snowdon.  In addition to the spacious and comfortable inn at Dolbadarn, a new and more commodious house, the Royal Victoria Hotel, has been erected at the expense of T. A. Smith, Esq., near Dolbadarn castle, for the accommodation of the increased number of visitors whom this truly interesting district draws together in the summer months.  The hotel is in a most eligible situation, at the junction of the two lakes, and within a few hundred yards of Dolbadarn castle, about two miles from the village of Llanberis, on the road from Caernarvon.  Every facility for ascending Snowdon is here provided.

The castle, standing near the junction of the two lakes of Llanberis, is the only one that remains in the narrow passes of North Wales.  As it was impossible for an enemy to climb the chain of mountains, which are a guard to Caernarvonshire and Anglesea, and as there were five narrow passes, the British secured each with a castle: this was the central one.  Owen Gôch was here confined upwards of twenty years, for having joined in a rebellion against his brother Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, the last prince of Wales.  It seems to have been long in ruins, for in Leland’s time there was only part of a tower left.  The key of the castle is kept at the Victoria Hotel, and may be had by tourists on application.

The view hence is remarkably splendid, embracing the lakes, which extend nearly three miles, the various interesting objects by which they are surrounded, and the immense chains of rugged mountains that bound the vale.  The view from the lake is also finely picturesque.

About half a mile south of the castle, at the end of a deep glen, there is a tremendous cataract, called

(The Waterfall of the Great Chasm.)  It is upwards of sixty feet in height, and is formed by the mountain torrent from Cwm Brwynog, which rushes through a cleft in the rock above, and after coming in a direct line, suddenly takes a turn with the broad stratum of the rock, and thus descends aslant, with a thundering noise, into the deep black pool below.

On the declivity of the mountain, and nearly opposite Dolbadarn castle, on the eastern side of the lake, are extensive slate quarries, the property of Thomas Assheton Smith, Esq., situated high among the rocks.  The mode of conveying the slates down the almost precipitous descent, to the margin of the lake, was formerly singularly awkward, and apparently very dangerous.  The carts, each conveying about one ton of slates in winter, and two in summer, were drawn down a serpentine path by one horse in front, and one hooked on behind, to counteract the rapidity of motion which otherwise would endanger the whole.  From the lake the slates were carted in great quantities to the Menai, whence they were shipped to Ireland, Liverpool, America, &c.  To avoid this great labour and danger, a railroad has been made from the quarries down to the shipping place at Velin Heli, on the Menai, a distance of about nine miles.  By this road, the slates are conveyed down, at an average, it is said, of about 100 tons daily throughout the year.  At this place of activity, generally designated by the name of “Dinorwic Slate Quarry,” above a thousand men are usually employed.

On the opposite side of the lake, and nearer to Caernarvon, at a place called Glyn Rhonwy, is another quarry, the property of Lord Newborough, worked by from 150 to 200 men; and the slates are conveyed by carts to Caernarvon.

This little valley can also boast of its mineral treasures.  A valuable copper mine is situated on the side of the upper lake,about half a mile from the village.  A stream of water, for the use of the mine, is conveyed along the mountain on each side, and over the road, just at the head of a lake, by means of a wooden conduit, supported by piers.  The ore obtained is, in general, what is termed rich, on an average worth from £20 to £25 per ton; but the value consequently varies with the price of copper.

About two miles above Llanberis church, on the Capel Curig road, there is an immense stone, that has once been precipitated from above, called

This stone is of some thousand tons weight, and many times larger than the celebrated mass of rock in Barrowdale, called Bowdar Stone.  It lies in a place called Ynys Hettws (Hetty’s Island); and two of its sides meeting at an angle with the ground, it was once used as the habitation of an old woman, who in summer resided in the vale to feed and milk her cows.  The enclosures are yet nearly entire, and are sometimes used as a sheepfold.

(The Resting Place), the top of the ascent between Llanberis and Capel Curig, four miles from the former, overlooks the glorious prospects before noticed.  It also commands a view into the mountain pass which joins Nant Hwynan and the vale of Capel Curig.  The vale of Llanberis is narrow and almost straight, nearly filled with two lakes, connected by a canal called Bala ’r Ddeulyn (the Junction of the two Lakes), celebrated (previous to the opening of the copper mines) for the abundance of the red and golden char.  These fish are still caught in the lakes, though not so plentifully as formerly; the char is taken about the middle of September.

The upper and lower lakes

(Bad sport).

Llyn Cwm Dwythog

2 miles from Dolbadarn inn.

Llyn Llydan

5 — on Snowdon.

Glaslyn

on the west of ditto.

Aber

Bangor

2

Conway

10

Port Penrhyn

2

Near to the grand entrance to Penrhyn Park, are the much admired church and little village of Llandegai, hidden from the immediate view by a high wall, extending some yards in the front.  The parish is more than fifteen miles in length, from the shore of the Menai straits far into the mountainous regions of Snowdon, including a wide district, abounding with almost every species of mineral treasure.  The scenery of the neighbourhood is beautifully picturesque and impressively grand, comprehending on one hand a vast amphitheatre of mountains, and on the other a fine view of the Menai Straits.

The church is one of the neatest in the Principality, in the form of a cross, having a tower in the centre.  Its style is Gothic, and it is supposed to have been erected about the reign of Edward the Third.  Within the church is a mural monument to the memory of John Williams, lord keeper of the great seal in the reign of James the First, who died at Gloddaeth, and was interred in this church in 1650.  He is represented in his episcopal dress, kneeling at the altar.  There is also an elegant marble monument erected to the memory of the late Lord and Lady Penrhyn, executed by Westmacott.  On one side it is supported by a female peasant, deploring the loss of the deceased, and on the other by a quarry-man, holding an iron bar and a slate knife, earnestly reading the inscription which commemorates his benefactor.  Beneath are smaller figures, the first representing a boy feeding his goats on the mountains, emblematical of the state of the country when his lordship commenced his improvements; the second, two boys working in a slate quarry, emblematical of industry; the third is, one boy teaching another to read the Bible, emblematical of religious education; and the fourth, three boys with sickles in a wheat field, denoting plenty.  Lord Penrhyn died in 1806.

The following is a translation of the somewhat curious Latin inscription on the monumental record of the renowned Archbishop and Lord Chancellor Williams:—“Sojourner, read, and in these few words, particularly observe that which you wouldnot expect to find in this obscure chapel.  Here lies buried John Williams, the most renowned of prelates, descended by his father’s lineage from the Williams’s of Cochwillan, and by his mother’s from the Griffiths of Penrhyn, whose great parts and eminence in all kinds of learning raised him first to the deanery of Sarum, and afterwards advanced him to that of Westminster by the favour of King James.  At one and the same time he was the most intimate favourite of and privy councillor to that great king, lord keeper of the great seal of England, and bishop of the see of Lincoln, whom Charles the First honoured with the archiepiscopal mitre of York.  He was thoroughly versed in all sciences—a treasury of nine languages—the very soul of pure and undefiled theology—an oracle of political tact—the very acmé and ornament of wisdom, whether sacred, canonical, civil, or municipal.  His conversation was engagingly sweet—his memory more tenacious than human—a repository of all species of history—expended in magnificent edifices the sum of £20,000,—an exemplary pattern of liberality, munificence, generosity, hospitality, and compassion for the poor.  In those lamentable times which followed, being worn out with the things which he saw and heard, when, by reason of the fury of the rebels, he could no longer serve his king nor his country, having lived 68 years, on the 25th of March, which was his birthday, with strong faith in Christ, and steadfast allegiance to his king, he most devotedly resigned his soul to God, dying of a quinsy.  It matters little that so small a monument, placed in this obscure spot, preserves the memory of so great a man, since years and ages shall never cease to celebrate his virtues.  He died 25th March,A.D.1650.

“Pass on, traveller, it is enough, your curiosity is gratified.”

The ancient family residence, Cochwillan, is within a short distance of the church, and remains in much the same condition as when, “broken by the storms of state,” the good prelate here sought his final resting-place on earth.

Abergele

16

Conway

5

Llandudno old church is situated near the promontory of Ormeshead, which forms the eastern boundary of the entranceinto Beaumaris Bar.  It has the appearance from the sea of a dilapidated cow-house.  A new church has been erected on the side of the promontory, where the inhabitants principally reside.  There are here several very valuable and extensive copper mines.  The cliffs towards the sea are lofty and abrupt; and the whole scene wild and romantic in the extreme.

On the centre of the mountain is a rocking stone, called Crŷd Tudno (or the Cradle of St. Tudno); and on an eminence are the ruins of a large square building, of which the walls, apparently constructed without mortar, lie scattered in various directions.  On the highest part of the promontory, and near the Great Ormeshead, a signal staff has been erected, communicating with Llysfaen on the east, and Puffin Island on the west, forming thereby a post of communication between Liverpool and Holyhead.  These hills and the neighbouring woods of Gloddaeth abound in rare and curious plants.  The rock just above the village of Llandudno is the only habitation in Britain of thecotoneaster vulgaris, which grows here abundantly.

The parish of Llandudno contains six hundred and sixty-two inhabitants.

Llanidan

2

Moel-y-Don

3

Llanedwen is a small village where Henry Rowlands, the learned author of Mona Antiqua Restaurata, was interred.  He was instituted to the vicarage of this place in October, 1696, and died 1723.  He lies under a black slab of Anglesea marble, in the south part of the church.

Amlwch

8

Beaumaris

20

This is a small village on the eastern coast of Anglesea.  The church, dedicated to St. Elian, is supposed to have been founded by the patron saint about 540; and adjoining to it is a small chapel, of very ancient foundation, measuring in its interior twelve feet by fifteen, called Myfyr,the confessional.  A curious closet of wood, of an hexagonal form, called St. Elian’s closet, is yet left in the east wall, and is supposed to have served boththe office of a communion table, and as a chest to contain the vestments and other utensils belonging to the chapel.  Near to the door is placed Cyff Elian (Elian’s Chest), or poor-box.  Superstitions devotees out of health send their offerings to the saint, which are put through a hole into the box.

At Point Lynas, near this place, a light-house of considerable dimensions has been erected.

Amlwch

6

Beaumaris

17

Holyhead

16

London

263

Llanerch-y-medd is a considerable town, with a market on Wednesday, deriving its importance chiefly from its proximity to the Parys mountain, on the northern side of Anglesea.  Here are the leading fairs for Anglesea oxen, and the south country dealers attend to make their purchases for the Kent and Sussex pastures.  An establishment has been opened in this town for the manufacture of snuff, in imitation of the celebrated Lundy Foot, of Dublin.  There is a small but comfortable inn here.

Within one mile of the town is Llwydiaeth, the hospitable mansion of W. P. Lloyd, Esq.  At a small distance is a rocking stone, held in great sanctity by the bards as a druidical remain.

Dolgelley

24

Llanfair

5

Machynlleth

25

Mallwydd

13

Newtown

14

Welshpool

12

This interesting little village is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Banwy, and at the lower extremity of a narrow vale of about seven miles in length.  The Cross Foxes Inn affords good accommodation.  The situation of the village, being on the turnpike-road from Shrewsbury to Machynlleth and Dolgelley, causes it to be much enlivened in the summer season, by coaches passing through, conveying travellers to the bathing places at Aberystwyth and Barmouth.

The parish, extending nearly eight miles in length, and about three in breadth, is divided into six townships, comprisinga population of about 1000, chiefly employed in agriculture.  The lands are but partially enclosed and cultivated, the hilly parts affording only pasturage for sheep, young cattle, and Welsh ponies, during the summer; but the soil of the lower grounds is tolerably fertile, and when properly cultivated, is capable of producing grain of every kind.  Within this parish, on the mountains, are several lakes of considerable extent and depth, and some of them containing great abundance of fish, chiefly trout and eels.

The most ancient manor-house in these parts is Neuadd-wen (the White-hall).  This was formerly the seat of Meredydd ab Cynan, brother of Gruffydd ab Cynan, Prince of North Wales, who served the Princes of Powys, and was termed Lord of Rhiw-hiriaeth, Coedtalog, and Neuadd-wen.  Some genealogists say that he was Meredydd ab Cynvyn, and brother to Bleddyn ab Cynvyn, Prince of Powys.  The estate of Neuadd-wen was divided and subdivided according to the custom of gavel kind, until the time of Evan ab Owen, the last of the line of Meredydd ab Cynan, whose two daughters were married, the one to the Llwydiarth family, the other to that of Newtown Hall.  In a heap of rubbish, at the back of the present farm-house of Nauadd-wen, were found pieces of free stone, with mouldings, which appeared to be the ruins of an arched window.  The building seemed to have been Gothic, according to the taste of the eleventh and twelfth century.  It is probable that the name of Neuadd-wen was given to the new structure, for there is a tradition that its former appellation was Llŷs Wgan, which is corrobarated by the fact, that a rivulet near the house is still called Nant Wgan.

Adjoining Neuadd-wen lies the capital farm of Llysyn, formerly the estate of Ieuan ab Bedo Gwyn, descendant of a cadet branch of the family of Neuadd-wen.  This estate was afterwards purchased by the Herberts, and made the residence of some branch of that family, ancestors to the present Earl of Powys.  The name of Llysyn seems to be a contraction of Llŷs-dyddyn (the Court-farm).  Probably, the Princes of Powys had here a court of judicature.

This parish contains the vestiges of several tumuli, forts, and ramparts, such as those at Moel-y-ddolwen, Gardden, Rhôs-y-gallt, &c.; but the most singular vestige of antiquity here is that of the Roman causeway, called Sarn-Sws, or Sarn-Swsen, which leads from the old Roman station of Caer-Sws,near Llanidloes, to Chester; or as some will have it, from Caerllëon-ar-Wysg, in Monmouthshire, to Caerllëon-ar-Ddyfr-dwy, or Chester on the Dee.  This road enters the parish of Llanervul on the hills of the Drum, and thence descends through the farms of Cae’r-Bacha, Cynniwyll, &c., and crosses the river Banwy below Neuadd-wen, and then up Craig-y-gô, whence it proceeds through the parish of Llanvihangel; and Dr. Worthington says it might be traced through the parish of Llanrhaiadr-yn-Mochnant, at Street-Vawr, near Coed-y-Clawdd, over Rhôs-y-brithdir, to Pen-y-Street, and thence to Llamiwrch, &c.  In some places the pavement may be found a little below the surface.

The church of Llanervul is dedicated to Urval Santes, a female saint, whose pedigree is not known: some suppose that the ancient tomb-stone in the church-yard was erected to her memory, but the inscription by no means corroborates that supposition.

Mrs. Priscilla Forster, a descendant of the family of the Herberts of Llysyn, bequeathed £300 for the instruction of the poor children of the parish: this sum was invested in the purchase of a farm near the village, now considered worth £35 per annum, which is appropriated agreeably to the intentions of the benevolent testatrix.

Llangefni

5

Pentraeth

This village is celebrated as the birth-place of Goronwy Owen, of whom a Welsh author has said that “he was the greatest genius either of this age, or that ever appeared in our country; and perhaps few other countries can boast his equal for universal knowledge.”  He was born in 1722, had the rudiments of his education at the grammar-school of Bangor, whence, in 1741, he went to Oxford.  Four years afterwards he received holy orders at Bangor, and became curate to the Bishop at Llanfair.  He successively held the curacy ofDonnington, near Shrewsbury, and Walton, near Liverpool: but having only a slender income, and being disappointed in his hopes of preferment, he emigrated to America.  The taste, manners, and morals of the Virginians were offensive and disgusting to this son of sorrow.  He lost by death his wife and children, all but one boy; and he himself, while but comparatively a young man, sank to the grave under the pressure of accumulated misfortunes.  To a perfect acquaintance with the Latin and Greek languages, he added a knowledge of the Hebrew, Chaldee, Arabic, and Syriac.  His Latin odes have been universally admired for the purity of their language, and for the elegance of their expression.  As a Welsh poet he ranks superior to all since the days of Dafydd ap Gwilym.  Those parts of his works which have been printed are considered as perfect models of Welsh poetry.  It has been lately stated that a grandson of the bard is now living in the United States, and is a member of the congress.

Can-Office

7

Dinas-Mowddwy

18

Mallwyd

16

Newtown

10

Oswestry

20

Welshpool

8

Llanfair, or Llanfair-Caer-Einion, a small market town pleasantly situated on the declivity of an eminence, rising from the south bank of the small river Banwy, which falls into the Vyrnwy, and on the turnpike road leading from Welshpool to Machynlleth and Dolgelley, containing 2687 inhabitants.  It has a church dedicated to St. Mary, an ancient structure; and five places of worship for dissenters.  The Vyrnwy abounds with such a quantity and variety of fish, as justly to entitle it to the name ofamnis piscosus.  The inhabitants of this place are said to excel in the practice of spearing fish.

Myfod (Meivod)

5 miles on the Vyrnwy.

Llangynyw

2½ „

Llanervul

5 „

London

178

Mallwyd

20

Oswestry

14

Shrewsbury

25

Welshpool

12

A market town of some note, situate in a fertile valley on the banks of the river Cain, surrounded by lofty hills.  The market is held on Thursday.  Population, 1955.

In the centre of the town stands the church, which was erected when the excellent Dr. Beveridge was bishop of the diocese; it is a neat brick building, dedicated to St. Myllyn.  The peal of bells surpasses any in the county.  Here are three endowed schools; and a good town hall was built in 1775.

Bôd Fach, near this town, the seat of Lord Mostyn, was once the residence of his paternal ancestors, the Kyffins.  The markets and fairs of Llanfyllyn are well attended, particularly for the purchase of Welsh merlins, which are brought here for sale in great numbers.

Beaumaris

12

Llanerch-y-Medd

7

Menai Bridge

7

Mona Inn

3

This is a small but neat market town centrally situated in the island.  The markets and fairs are of considerable importance.  It is one of the contributory boroughs; the present M.P. being Col. Paget.  There is a neat church under the hill, and the town is romantically situated.  The principal inn is Pen-y-bont.

Tregarnedd, now only a farm-house, but once the residence of Ednyfed Vychan, an able chieftain to Llywelyn the Great, is in this parish.

About three miles distant on the Llanerch-y-medd road is Tregaian, the residence of Vice-Admiral Lloyd.  Not far off is Maen Rhos Rhyfel, where Owen Gwynedd obtained a signal victory over an invading army of Erse, Manksmen, and Normans.  The population of Llangefni is 1753.

Llangollen bridge

Chester

23

Chirk

7

Corwen

10

London

183

Oswestry

12

Ruabon

6

Ruthin

15

Wrexham

12

The name of this place is derived from the dedication of its church to an ancient British saint named Collen, whose lineage runs thus, in names almost unpronounceable by Saxon tongues—St. Collen ap Gwynnawg ap Clydawg ap Cowrda ap Caredog Freichfras ap Llyr Merim ap Einion Yrth ap Cunededd ap Wledig.  The town, which is beautifully situated in a deep narrow valley, enclosed by lofty mountains, and watered by the noble stream of the Dee, appears anciently to have been protected by the neighbouring fortress of Castell Dinas Bran, situated on the summit of a vast conical hill in its neighbourhood.  The houses are in general old or rather mean in appearance, though occasionally interspersed with some modern handsome dwellings; and there is excellent accommodation for the numerous visitors who frequent the neighbourhood during the summer season.  The pure air and mild temperature cause a number of families to adopt this locality as a permanent retreat.  The Hand, the King’s Head and Royal Hotel, are the two principal inns.  Population, 1500.

Here is a stone bridge over the Dee, consisting of four pointed arches, erected in the year 1345, by John Trevor, Bishop of St. Asaph, and which was anciently regarded as one of the wonders of North Wales.  The scenery of the neighbourhood is pre-eminent for its grandeur and sublimity, and for its picturesque and romantic beauty.

The church is an ancient structure, with small pretensions to architectural beauty, except some fine carvings on the roof and other parts of the interior.  The view from the churchyard is remarkably pretty, embracing the bridge, the weir, and Crow Castle.  The talented and self taught clerk, Mr. Jones, may be consulted by writers with profit, as a person of considerable attainments and general information.  The church services are alternately in the Welsh and English language.

The market is held on Saturday, and is well supplied with butcher’s meat, but very little corn is sold.  By the late actfor amending the representation, Llangollen has been made a polling-place in the election of knights for the shire.

a district long celebrated in prose and verse for its varied beauties, is bounded on each side by lofty mountains of imposing grandeur.  It is certainly a charming and romantic spot; and though not so grandly impressive, or so surpassingly beautiful as some of the other Welsh valleys, its lovely features become more attractive on a familiar acquaintance.  A remarkable range of lime-stone hills, called the Eglwyseg Rocks, adds a singular variety to the landscape.  It is almost needless to observe that “Llangollen, that sweetest of vales,” is the scene of the home of “Jenny Jones,” whose charms are sung in Charles Matthews’ popular ballad.—In this vale, and within a quarter of a mile from the town, stands

the famed retreat of Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Ponsonby, better known, probably, asthe two reclusesof Llangollen Vale.  These two females, delighted with the scenery around Llangollen, when it was little known to the rest of the world, sought here, about the year 1778, a philosophical retirement from the frivolities of fashionable life, and selected and improved a dwelling that commands a fine mountain prospect, which obtained the name of Plâs Newydd.  This elegant little cottage is situated on a small knoll, and surrounded by very tasteful grounds.

The peculiar style in which these ladies decorated their retreat has been much discussed.  A palisade, ornamented with antique and grotesque figures carved in oak, enclosed the front; and the doors and windows were decorated with carving of the same material.  The rooms were tastefully adorned with drawings.  A carriage drive, open to strangers, crosses the lawn immediately in front of the cottage.  Lady Eleanor Butler died June 2, 1829, at the advanced age of 90, and Miss Ponsonby, Dec. 9, 1831, aged 76: both were interred in the churchyard of Llangollen.  To their memory is erected a monument of unique and elegant structure.  It has three sides, on each of which there is an appropriate epitaph; one for Lady Eleanor Butler, another for Miss Ponsonby, and the other for their youthful servant, Mary Carrol, who had accompaniedthem from Ireland, the country of their birth, to this delightful retirement.

The whole property was consigned to the hammer in 1832, and was purchased by two other maiden ladies, viz. Miss Lolly and Miss Andrew, who seemed inclined to emulate the retirement of its former possessors.

There are many other genteel villas and country residences, within a convenient distance of the town, deserving of notice.

is situated on a high and somewhat conical hill, about a mile from Llangollen.  The building has been about a hundred yards long, and fifty in breadth; and it formerly occupied the whole crown of the mountain.  From its extremely elevated situation (being about 910 feet above the surface of the Dee at Llangollen bridge), it must have been a place of vast strength.  On the side which is most accessible, it was defended by trenches cut through the solid rock.  The present remains consist of nothing more than a few shattered walls.  There is a well of pure water on the top of the hill.

The views hence on every side are very grand.  Towards the east stretches the whole vale of Llangollen, through which the Dee foams over its rocky bed; and beyond the vale is seen all the flat and highly cultivated country that extends for many miles.  Just beneath lies the town of Llangollen, and towards the west is the vale of Crucis, with its back-ground of lofty mountains, whose dark sides are agreeably varied with wood and meadow.  This fortress, from the style of its architecture, is evidently the work of the Britons; but by whom built, or when demolished, is a matter of mystery.  Old Churchyard, who visited it in the sixteenth century, calls it “an old ruynous thing.”

or, as it is called by the Welsh,Monachlog Llan Egwestl, about two miles from Llangollen, and one mile and a half from Castell Dinas Bran, on the right of the road towards Ruthin, is a grand and majestic ruin, affording some noble specimens of ancient Gothic architecture.  There are still remaining of the church the east and west ends, and the south transept.  Several pillars and arches also remain as interesting memorials of this exquisite relic of a past age.

The cloister on the south side, which a century ago, was only a shell, is now converted into a dwelling-house, the residence of the person who farms the adjacent lands.  Three rows of groined arches, on single round pillars, support the dormitory, which is now a loft for containing corn, approached by steps from without.  The area of the church is overgrown with tall ash trees, which hide from the sight some part of the ruin, but contribute greatly to its picturesque beauty.

Vale Crucis was a house of Cistercian monks, dedicated to the Virgin Mother.  It was indebted for its foundation, about the year 1200, to Madoc ap Griffith Maelor, Lord of Bromfield and Dinas Brân, who, after various successes, and acquiring much booty by the reduction and ruin of English castles, dedicated a portion of his booty to the service of religion.  He was interred here.  At the dissolution the revenues appear to have amounted to about £200 per annum.  A short time ago, the burial place of the monks was accidentally discovered, in the garden at the back of the farm-house, where many of their remains were found, which must have been there in an undisturbed state for six hundred years.

The Vale of Crucis is indebted for its name to this cross or pillar, which is to be found in a field near the abbey, and just opposite to the second mile-stone from Llangollen.  This pillar is very ancient.  The Rev. John Price, Bodleian librarian, (uncle of Dr. Price of Llangollen,) a great antiquary, wrote to Mr. Lloyd, of Trevor Hall, respecting this long neglected pillar, and at his suggestion it was placed in the position it now occupies.  It appears to have been erected upwards of a thousand years ago, in memory of Eliseg (the father of Brochwel Yscythrog, Prince of Powys, who was slain at the battle of Chester in 607), by Concenn or Congen, his great grandson.  The inscription is much defaced, so that it cannot be satisfactorily traced.  The shaft was once above twelve feet long, but having been thrown down and broken, sometime during the civil wars, its upper part, only about eight feet in length, was left.  After these commotions, it was suffered to lie neglected for more than a century.

From Llangollen, most tourists visit this stupendous workof art.  It is a wonderful effort of ingenious contrivance, and affords a convincing proof of the incalculable capability of human energies when directed by science.  This aqueduct was constructed for the purpose of conveying the Ellesmere canal over the river and vale of the Dee.  It was commenced in 1795, from designs by Mr. Telford, and completed in ten years.  Its direction is from north to south, crossing the Dee at right angles; and it forms, in connexion with the exquisite scenery surrounding it, a noble and magnificent picture.  To view it to the best advantage, the stranger must descend on one side of it, into the valley beneath; he will then be impressed with its stupendous character.  Though the aqueducts of the Romans were superior in length, in other respects they were inferior to this modern structure.

The tourist may proceed along the high road towards Chirk, four miles from the town, where a turning to the left will conduct him to Pont Cysylltau Aqueduct; or crossing the bridge at Llangollen, ascend the hill to the canal, and walk along its banks till he arrives at the aqueduct.  The high road is preferable, as it commands some engaging prospects.

The aqueduct, in length 1007 feet, consists of nineteen arches, each 45 feet in the span, with the addition of 10 feet 6 inches of iron work in continuation at each end.  The supporting piers are stone, of a pyramidal shape, measuring at the base 21 feet by 14 feet wide; but diminishing upwards to 12 feet by 7 at the top; and their height about 116 feet.  Over this immense arcade is extended a trough, or large open caisson, made of cast iron, 11 feet 10 inches broad, by which the water of the canal is conveyed over the river 1009 feet to the opposite level.  Two iron plates are screwed together from centre to centre of each arch; and along one side of the canal is a towing path, four feet in breadth, with a handsome iron balustrade, as a defence for man and horse.  The elevation collectively will stand thus:—

Feet.

Inches.

Height of piers

116

0

Depth of trough, or caisson

5

6

Height of balustrade

4

7

Total height from surface of the Dee

126

1

At the southern end is an embankment of earth, 1500 feetin length, and seventy-five feet in height nearest the abutment of the arches.  The whole undertaking is said to have cost £47,069 : 6 : 7.

On the centre arch is the following inscription:—“The nobility and gentry of the adjacent counties, having united their efforts with the great commercial interest of this country, in creating an intercourse and union between England and North Wales, by a navigable communication of the three rivers, Severn, Dee, and Mersey, for the mutual benefit of agriculture and trade, caused the first stone of this aqueduct of Pont Cyssyllte to be laid on the 25th day of July, MDCCXCV, when Richard Myddelton, of Chirk, Esq., one of the original patrons of the Ellesmere canal, was Lord of the Manor, and in the reign of our Sovereign George the Third; when the equity of the laws and the security of property promoted the general welfare of the nation, while the arts and sciences flourished by his patronage, and the conduct of civil life was improved by his example.”

The antiquarian will find some interesting remains in this neighbourhood worthy of investigation.  Amongst them is a square tower, very strongly built, in advance of and at the foot of the hill on which Crow Castle stands.  For many years it has been appropriated as part of a farm-house, called ‘The Tower.’  The walls of the original building or tower are very thick; and in one corner of the quadrangle there is a winding stone staircase, now concealed by a bookcase.  The probability is that this old tower was an advanced station belonging to the castle.  There are also vestiges of a nunnery or monastery at a place called Pengwern.

About six miles from Llangollen, on the Ruthin road, is a curious old building, called Rhydidris, near Llandaglan.  The site, the extensive stabling, and the antique curiosities in the house, raise the probability that it has been garrisoned, and also been a military station of great importance.

The Shrewsbury and Chester Railway Company intend to run a branch from their main line at Ruabon to Llangollen.

The Dee

from Corwen to Llangollen.

“ “

from Llangollen to Overton.

Bala

11

Llanfyllyn

7

Llanrhaiadr

6

Llangynog (the church of St. Cynog) is a small village, situated in a pleasing slip of fertile land, above which rises a stupendous rock of coarse slate.  The river Tanat, which runs through this village, is celebrated for its delicious trout.  The upper end of the vale is bounded by two vast precipices; between them juts out the rude promontory of Moel ddu Vawr.  On the north side of this valley is the house of Llechwend-garth, the occasional residence of the late Thomas Thomas, Esq. of Downing, near Holywell, whose daughter married H. Davies Griffith, Esq. of Caer-Rhûn, Caernarvonshire, who, in consequence, became possessed of this estate, and was in 1835 high sheriff of the county of Montgomery.  The new inn affords tolerable accommodations.

At Craig-y-Mwyn. somewhat more than two miles from the village, in 1692, a vein of lead ore was discovered, so valuable as to yield to the Powys family a clear revenue of at least £20,000 a year.  It had been worked to the depth of about one hundred yards, when on a sudden the water broke in with such continuous power, that the proprietor was compelled to abandon the undertaking.  About the commencement of the present century, however, the mine was leased by a company, who drove a level beneath it, in order to draw off the water, and continued the working of it for some time; they occasionally found masses of pure ore, weighing from 70 to 1001b. each.  After some time the works were again discontinued, until a few years ago, when the old shaft was reopened, and the operations proceeded with considerable success.

At Craig-y-Gribin, in this parish, are some quarries of excellent blue slate, of strong and durable quality.

Caernarvon

13

Pwllheli

7

This is a small village, situated near the west coast of the promontory of Lleyn.  Its church, standing on an eminence,forms a good land-mark.—Between this place and the sea, the lofty range of the Rival (or Yr Eifl) Mountains, which form conspicuous objects from Caernarvon and other parts of the country.  Upon the first of these eminences, about a mile from Llanhaiarn, is Tre ’r Caeri (or the Town of Fortresses), which Mr. Pennant describes as “the most perfect and magnificent, as well as the most artfully constructed British post he ever behold.”  The only accessible side was defended by three walls, which appear to have been very lofty.  The area is irregularly shaped, and near the centre is a square space surrounded by the fragments of habitations.


Back to IndexNext