Henry F. and Leonard P. Day.—The Day brothers came from St. Lawrence, New York, to the St. Croix valley in 1849, and settled in Franconia in 1852. Henry married Margaret Smith, daughter of David Smith. During the Rebellion he served in Company C, Seventh Minnesota Volunteers. He moved to Florida in 1886. Leonard P. was married to Mary Mitchell in 1856. He died in 1874, leaving a widow, two sons and two daughters. His widow (in 1886) is the wife of Henry Wills, of Osceola.
Henry Willswas born in 1829, in Illinois, and married his first wife in Missouri in 1856, who died in 1878, leaving nine children. Mr. Wills was one of the first farmers in Franconia, and has been active in promoting improvements in his town and county. He moved to Osceola in 1886.
The Clark Brotherscame from Maine and located in Franconia in 1854, where they built the first mill in the village. Subsequently they became citizens of Taylor's Falls, engaging in the mercantile, livery, saw and stave mill business. James, the oldest, married Carrie Jellison in 1863, and moved to Windom, Minnesota. Rufus, the next in age, married Kate Strand in 1860, and died May, 1880, leaving a widow, three sons and one daughter. Charles, the youngest, was married to Martha J. Gray in 1868, and removed to Fergus Falls.
David Smithwas born in Scotland. He came to Franconia in 1855, where he has now one of the best farms in Chisago county. His youngest son, James, lives on the old homestead with him. His second son, John, has made his home in Rush City. Andrew, his oldest, served during the Rebellion in company C, Seventh Minnesota. His oldest daughter, Margaret, is the wife of H. F. Day. His daughter Nancy is the wife of N. H. Hickerson and resides in California,. Barbary, the third daughter, is the wife of John Grove of Burnett county.
Jonas Lindallwas for many years an enterprising and prosperous business man in Franconia. He opened up an extensive wood trade with St. Paul, in which C. J. Vitalis is his successor. Mr. Lindall represented his county in the senate of the fifteenth and sixteenth state legislatures. He was accidentally drowned from a barge of wood at Hastings in May, 1872. His widow is married to Chas. J. Vitalis.
Wm. Peasleecame from Maine to the St. Croix valley and settled in Franconia in 1857, and followed mercantile pursuits at that place and at Taylor's Falls. He died at the latter place in 1876. Mr. Peaslee was married at Palmyra, Maine, to Sophia E. Harriman, who, with Clarence, an only son, survives him. His widow resides in Taylor's Falls and superintends a millinery and fancy store. Clarence succeeds his father in the grocery and dry goods business at Taylor's Falls. He married Rosa, a daughter of Patrick Fox.
Charles Vitaliswas born in Smolland, Sweden, in 1843; came to America in 1868 and settled in Franconia village. He was for five years employed as clerk. In 1873 he embarked in the mercantile and wood business. In one year he shipped 13,000 cords of wood, and has averaged for the last 14 years 7,000 cords, making a total of 100,000 cords. He was married to JosephineNelson, widow of Jonas Lindall, in 1873. They have three children. Elof, John, Elias and Hans are brothers of Charles Vitalis, residing in the town of Franconia.
August J. Andersonwas born near Wexico, Sweden, in 1860; came to America with his parents in 1869, and to Franconia. At thirteen years of age he commenced clerking for C. Vitalis, with whom he continued until 1873, when he associated himself with him in the mercantile business. He visited Europe in 1883.
Frank N. Peterson.—Mr. Peterson came to America in 1865, and in 1866 settled in the valley of the St. Croix. He attended school at Carver, Minnesota, one year, when he became a traveling salesman for Leopold & Co., of Chicago, and in 1881 settled in Franconia. He organized the lumbering firm of Borens Brothers & Peterson, which continued until 1886, when a new organization was formed, called the Franconia Lumber Company, consisting of P. Jordan, Sam Mathews, of Stillwater, and the subject of our sketch.
FRANK N. PETERSON.FRANK N. PETERSON.
Mr. Peterson has been the president of Franconia since its incorporation. In 1869 he married Miss Ingur Johnson, daughter of Eric Johnson, a pioneer of St. Peter, Minnesota, and is the father of two children, Axel, a promising son, who died in February,1885, at fourteen years of age, and Maria, now a student in the Ladies' Seminary at Faribault, who is developing marked ability as a pencil artist. Mr. Peterson owns one of the finest houses in the valley, romantically situated, which is supplied with pure spring water. It is a pride to the village and attracts general attention. He is also the inventor and patentee of the Lindholm & Peterson adding machine.
The town of Harris contains twenty-four sections of township 36, range 21, the four western tiers of sections. The soil is a sandy loam with clay subsoil. The town is well watered and drained by Goose creek, which entering the town from the northwest, and bending at first southward, then eastward, leaves the town near its southeastern line in section 22. The timber consisted originally of oak openings and pine; 10,000,000 feet of the latter have been removed from the southeastern portion. Luxuriant wild meadows are found along Goose creek. The first improvement was a farm, made by W. H. C. Folsom in sections 21 and 22 in 1854. The first permanent settler was Henry H. Sevy, who located on this farm in 1856. The town of Harris was organized in 1884.
A charter organizing Harris village was granted by the district court, under the general law, in 1882. A question arose as to the legality of the act. A subsequent legislature, by legislative act, confirmed all similarly organized villages in the State. The supreme court decided the organization of such villages illegal and the legislative act sanctioning it unconstitutional. It was subsequently organized legally. The village was surveyed by A. D. Miller and platted in May, 1873, in the south half of section 21, township 36, range 21, Philip S. Harris and N. D. Miller, proprietors. It derived its name from Philip S. Harris, a prominent officer of the St. Paul & Duluth railroad. Fred Wolf was the first settler, in 1870, and first merchant and first railroad agent, in 1873. He acted as postmaster subsequently and filled other offices of trust. His interests are intimately blended with those of the village. Isaac Savage was the second settler and merchant. He was the first postmaster,in 1873. The first school was taught by Mary Gwinn, in 1873. The first marriage was that of M. P. Smith and Charlotte Swenson. The first child born was Brague, son of W. D. Sayers. The first death was that of Isaac Morrill. A good school house was built in 1877. The village is rapidly growing. It has an extensive trade in hay, wood, ties and piles. Wheat shipments are large. It has four stores, two hotels, three elevators, three hay presses, two wagon and smith shops, one agricultural warehouse, one skating rink, one livery stable, two saloons, one meat shop and a railroad depot.
This town includes the whole of township 34, range 21. It is well watered and drained by Sunrise river, but has no lakes. The soil is a sandy loam; the timber chiefly oak openings. The early settlers were Harvey Lent, from whom the town derived its name, William Robinson, James Buchanan, who raised the first crops in 1855, Joshua Dawson, Jesse Moore and others. The town was organized in 1872. The first supervisors were Dawson, Moore and Robinson. The first post office was established in 1875, at Stacy, a railroad station on the St. Paul & Duluth railroad, which traverses this town from south to north. Frank Dawson was the first postmaster.
Nessell includes township 37, range 22. The surface was originally covered with a growth of hardwood, with some pine. Of the latter, about 10,000,000 feet has been cut. The soil is adapted to wheat culture. It is well watered. Rush lake occupies a nearly central position, and is a beautiful sheet of water with about fourteen miles of meandering shore line, crystal clear, and deep, well stocked with fish, and bordered with groves of maple, oak and linden. The town was set off from Rush Lake and organized in 1870. The first supervisors were Wm. H. McCray, John H. Breit and Matts Colleen. The town is settled by a class of industrious, upright people. There are three churches, with prosperous societies, the Swedish Baptist, the Swedish Lutheran and German Lutheran. Martin Linnell was the first child born. The first marriage was that of Wm. Vanetta and Anna Johnson, in 1861. Alice Draper taught the first school. Rev. Cedarstam preached the first sermon.
Robert Nessellwas the oldest settler. The town was named for him. He was born in Germany in 1834; came to America in 1847, and to Minnesota in 1854. He was married at Sunrise to Kate Torbert, of Shafer, in 1856, and the same year located his present home. Other early settlers are John H. Breit, John Lindsey, P. Kelley, and the Jarchow brothers.
Stephen B. Clarkmade Nessell his home in 1867. Mr. Clark was born in Vermont in 1830; came to Marine in 1851. He served three years during the Rebellion in the Second Wisconsin Cavalry. He removed to Rush City in 1856.
Rush Seba comprises township 37, range 21, and fractional part of township 37, range 20, consisting of about ten sections, irregularly bounded by the St. Croix river. It is timbered with hardwood, has good soil, chiefly a black clay loam, with clay subsoil, and is well watered by Rush river and Rock creek and tributaries. Wild meadows and marshes are intermingled with the timber. The town was organized in 1858, with George B. Folsom, Robert Newell and Timothy Ward as supervisors. A post office was established in 1859, in section 14, George B. Folsom, postmaster. George B. Folsom was the first settler, raising the first crops in the town in 1855. The St. Paul & Duluth railroad traverses the town from south to north. It was built in 1868, and a branch road to Grantsburg, Wisconsin, was built in 1884. Josephine Blanding taught the first school, in 1856. The first death was that of James Ward, who died from accidental poisoning.
In 1868, at the completion of the St. Paul & Duluth railroad, a depot was built and a station established at the crossing of Rush river, around which rapidly grew up the village of Rush City. It was surveyed and platted by Benjamin W. Brunson, surveyor, in January, 1870, in the northeast quarter of section 21, township 37, range 26. The Western Land Association, L. Mendenhall, agent, was proprietor. Thomas Flynn was the first settler, he having in 1857 pre-empted the land which afterward became the site of the village. Among the improvements in 1869 was a steam saw mill, built by Taylor & Co. This mill was burned in 1879, at a loss of $13,000. Rush City was incorporatedin 1874. Frank H. Pratt was president of the first village council. Rush City has now a commodious town hall, an exchange bank, one elevator, one foundry, a good school house, built at a cost of $3,000; a good graded school, under the supervision of Prof. V. D. Eddy; a lodge of Ancient Order United Workmen (No. 42), a board of trade, a Woman's Christian Temperance Union Association, a Sons of Temperance lodge, a post of the Grand Army of the Republic (Ellsworth Post, No. 58), and a masonic organization (Jasper Lodge). The following denominations have churches and societies: Catholic, Episcopalian, German Lutheran, Swedish Lutheran, and Swedish Evangelical. The Catholics are building a church at a cost of $10,000.
Thomas Flynnwas born in county Mayo, Ireland, 1828. He came to America in 1831, and lived in Canada East until 1857; when he located in Minnesota, pre-empting the northeast quarter of section 21, township 37, range 21. His farm became the site of the village of Rush City in 1868, and in 1869 he built the first frame house in its limits. Mr. Flynn has been married three times, losing each of his wives by death. He has two sons living, James H. and Frank A.
Patrick H. Flynnwas born in county Mayo, Ireland, in 1829; came to America in 1831; lived in Canada East until 1857, and coming to Minnesota pre-empted the northwest quarter of section 21. He was married in 1857 to Margaret Kelly, of Illinois. They have two sons and two daughters living. Mr. Flynn, in 1880, erected the Globe Hotel in Rush City, where he now resides.
Rufus Crockerwas the second settler in Rush Seba. He was the first justice of the peace and held other offices. Mr. Crocker was married to Miss Mercy Hewson, of Isanti county. He is now a citizen of Rock Creek.
Frank H. Prattwas born in Skowhegan, Maine, in 1836. His father, Henry P. Pratt, a veteran editor, who had served twenty years on the KennebecJournal, and later was connected with the SomersetJournaland SkowheganPeople's Press, came to St. Paul in 1854 with his family, and was associated with John P. Owens as assistant editor of the St. PaulMinnesotian. On Sunday, May 6, 1855, Mr. Pratt went on board the steamer Royal Arch, which had landed at the St. Paul levee that morning with a cargo of passengers, sick, dying and dead ofcholera. Thirteen had already died on the boat. Mr. Pratt, Sr., went on board to alleviate the sufferings of the sick and dying, and in consequence, within two days, himself sickened and died. The writer and his family were passengers on the Royal Arch, and witnesses to these scenes of suffering and death and Mr. Pratt's heroic self-devotion. After his father's death Frank continued in the office of theMinnesotianas printer. He worked also in the offices of the St. Paul and St. PeterTribuneand the PrescottTranscript. In 1858-59 he served as local editor and foreman in theTranscriptoffice. In 1860 he removed to Taylor's Falls, and established the Taylor's FallsReporter, the first newspaper published in Chisago county. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C. of the Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry; was commissioned second lieutenant, and served until he resigned his office in the latter part of 1864, having been promoted to the captaincy of Company C. After the war he located in Sunrise City, and engaged in mercantile pursuits. In 1872 he removed to Rush City, continued in mercantile business, and took an active part in all enterprises looking to the welfare of the city. He built a store, elevator and a fine residence, which was burned in 1881. Mr. Pratt represented his district in the sixteenth legislature. He was married to Helen A. Bossout, at St. Paul, in 1858. They have one son, Fred, and three daughters. Mr. Pratt moved to St. Paul in 1882, where he died, March 25, 1884. Fred, his son, succeeds him in business in Rush City. He is married to a daughter of Jonathan Chase, of East Minneapolis.
Voloro D. Eddywas born in Java, Wyoming county, New York, Sept. 7, 1840; received a common school education supplemented by two years' attendance at Griffith Institute, Springfield, New York; gave up his school to enlist in his country's service, as a member of the "Ellsworth Avengers" (the Forty-fourth New York Volunteers). The regiment was mustered into service at Albany, New York, Aug. 8, 1861. He served in this regiment until June 5, 1864, when he was taken prisoner at Old Church, Virginia. He endured the horrors of prison life until Feb. 26, 1865, and was discharged from service May 20, 1865. In 1868 he came to Taylor's Falls and engaged in teaching, which he has made his profession, having taught continuously since 1869. He has been county superintendent of schools fortwelve years, during which time he has resided at Rush City. Mr. Eddy was married to Frances Cowley, at Taylor's Falls, Sept. 30, 1868. Mrs. Eddy died June, 1881. He was married to Anna R. Olmstead, July 25, 1883, at Arcadia, New York.
Ferdinand Sweedorff Christiansonwas born in Copenhagen, Denmark, April 18, 1837; came to the United States in 1866, to Minnesota in 1868, and to Chisago county in 1870. He was married to Selma A. Willard, at Red Wing, Minnesota, Dec. 12, 1869. He represented Chisago county in the legislature of 1878. He was assistant secretary of state from 1880 to 1882. In 1882 he established the Rush City Bank. In 1883 he was appointed member of the state board of equalization, and in 1885 was one of the committee for selecting a location for the Third Hospital for the Insane.
Comprises all of the territory of township 34, range 19, excepting the plat of Taylor's Falls, and fractional sections in the northeast corner of the township. It was at first heavily timbered with hardwood, interspersed with marshes and meadows. The soil is good. Lawrence and Dry creeks drain the greater part of the township. It is now well settled, and has many fine farms. A Swedish colony settled here in 1853, consisting of Peter Wyckland, Andros Anderson, Eric Byland, Tuver Walmarson, and others. The town organized first as Taylor's Falls, but the name was changed to Shafer in 1873. John G. Peterson, John Nelson and John Carlson were the first supervisors. The first school was taught by Ella Wyckoff, in the Marshall district, in 1859. The first marriage was that of Peter Abear to Kittie Wickland. The branch St. Paul & Duluth railroad passes through the southern part of this township. The township contributed to this road $3,000 in bonds. A railroad station in the southwest quarter of section 32 bears the name of Shafer, derived, together with the name of the township, from
Jacob Shafer, who, as early as 1847, cut hay in sections 4 and 5. He seems to have been in no sense worthy of the honor conferred upon him, as he was but a transient inhabitant, and disappeared in 1849. No one knows of his subsequent career. The honor ought to have been given to some of the hardy Swedes, who were the first real pioneers, and the first to make substantial improvements.
Peter Wicklandcame from Sweden in 1853, and settled in the northeast quarter of section 26. He moved to Anoka in 1860, and was drowned in Rum river in 1880. His son Peter is a prominent merchant in Anoka.
Tuver Walmarsonwas born in Sweden in 1812. He was a member of the Swedish colony of 1853, settled in the northwest quarter of section 26. Mr. and Mrs. Walmarson reared a fine family of children. Nelson Tuver Walmarson, the eldest son, inherits the industry and frugality of both parents. By hard work and close attention to business the family has prospered abundantly.
Andros Andersoncame also from Sweden in 1853 and settled in the east half of the northeast quarter of section 34. Mr. Anderson moved to Taylor's Falls in 1859 and died there in 1873. He left but one child, the wife of Daniel Fredine, of Shafer. Mr. Anderson was a born humorist and fond of practical jokes. On one occasion his ready wit was exercised at the expense of a man to whom he had mortgaged his farm. Deeming the house in which he lived his own, in the absence of the mortgagee he removed it to Taylor's Falls. The mortgagee, E. W. Holman, told him that he had stolen the house and must replace it. Anderson told Holman to take the house and replace it himself, but if he took his (Anderson's) family along with it he would have him sent to the penitentiary. Mr. Holman did not see his way clear and the house was not disturbed.
Eric Byland, another of the Swedish colony, settled in the west half of the southeast quarter of section 23. In 1860 he sold out and moved further west. The farm he left is now owned by John Nelson and is one of the finest farms in Chisago county.
Jacob Petersonwas born in 1847 and came with his parents to Chisago county in 1854. They located on a beautiful spot in Franconia, on the shore of a small lake, where they made a farm and where Jacob passed his boyhood and youth. In 1881 he commenced business at Shafer station as a merchant and dealer in wood. He was the first postmaster at Shafer. He was married in 1881 to Mary Heline.
Ambrose C. Seaveywas born in Machias, Maine, in 1824; was married to Elizabeth Ayers, in Crawford, Maine, in 1846, and came to St. Croix Falls in 1848. In 1852 he removed to Taylor's Falls, and opened the first blacksmith shop. He was absenttwo years in Colorado, and when he returned settled on a farm in the town of Shafer. He has a family of four sons and six daughters.
The town of Sunrise includes the two eastern tiers of sections of township 36, range 21, one whole and eight fractional sections of township 36, range 20, and all of township 35, range 20, except the two eastern tiers of sections. It is well watered by the St. Croix and Sunrise rivers and their tributaries. The latter river rises in Washington county, having for its principal source Forest lake, and flows through the town in a northerly direction into the St. Croix. It has three considerable tributaries from the west known as North, Middle and South branches. St. Croix river has, as tributary, Goose creek, which flows through the northern part of the town. The soil varies from a rich sandy loam to a sandy soil. The town contains many fine farms. The old government road from Point Douglas to Superior passes through the town.
Sunrise was incorporated as a town Oct. 26, 1858; Isaac A. Parmenter, David Lovejoy and A. C. Mattison, supervisors. A post office was established in 1856; George S. Frost, postmaster. The first marriage was that of Robert Nessell and Kate Torbert, by J. D. Wilcox, Esq. The first child born was Joshua Taylor Gallaspie. The first death was of an unknown man who died from the kick of a horse. Wm. Holmes, the first settler, located on Sunrise prairie in 1853, and raised crops on fifteen acres that year. John A. Brown and Patten W. Davis cultivated thirty-five acres the same year on Sunrise prairie. Messrs. Brown, Davis and Ingalls made a wagon road from Sunrise to St. Paul in 1853. John A. Brown, in the same year, built a hotel and opened a store. The hotel was built of logs, the store was a frame, the first erected in Sunrise. In 1855 he built a saw mill. His hotel was burned in 1856. These buildings were the nucleus of Sunrise village.
Was platted July, 1857, in the north half of the northeast quarter of section 8, and the west half of the southwest quarter and the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 4, and the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter of section9, all of township 3, range 20. The proprietors were John A. Brown, J. S. Caldwell and C. L. Willis; surveyor, W. F. Duffy. It contains a first class roller flour mill, a saw mill, both owned by Caspar Spivac, two stores, a school house and several shops and dwellings. In 1857 a colony from Western New York settled in and around Sunrise village. The Wilcoxes, Wilkes, Collins, Gwynne, Smith, and others were of this colony. The village has suffered greatly from fires. The buildings lost at various times were one flouring mill, valued at $10,000, four hotels and several private dwellings. The flouring mill was the property of Mrs. J. G. Mold. Two lives were lost at the burning of the mill.
In the fall of 1862, immediately after the Sioux outbreak, and while considerable apprehension was felt as to the attitude of the Chippewas toward the white settlers, a company of volunteers under Capt. Anderson was stationed at Sunrise. This company built temporary quarters of logs, and were very comfortably fixed during the winter. They had presumably a very good time, but repelled no savage foes.
Is located in the west half of section 32, township 35, range 20. It has a first class roller flouring mill, owned by Ferdinand A. Kost, erected in 1883 at a cost of $13,000, and a saw mill, also owned by F. A. Kost, erected the same year. It has two stores, a number of shops and dwellings and a post office, established in 1884, of which F. A. Kost is postmaster.
Was platted March, 1856, by Benj. Dinsmore, surveyor, in the northwest quarter of section 2, and the west half of the northeast quarter of section 2, township 36, range 21. The proprietors were James Starkey, Charles S. Patteys, Michael E. Ames, Isaac Van Etten, and Moses Sherburne. It makes a fair farm.
Was platted in 1856, in the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter and the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 1, township 36, range 20; C. C. P. Myer, proprietor. It is still a brush and swamp plat.
Was platted July, 1857, H. H. Newbury, surveyor, on lots 6 and 7 of section 33, and lot 5 in section 34, township 34, range 20. Proprietors, N. F. Taylor, W. H. C. Folsom, L. K. Stannard and N. C. D. Taylor. It has made two fair farms.
Was platted August, 1856, W. F. Duffy, surveyor, in the south half of section 35, township 35, range 21. Proprietors, James Y. Caldwell and L. C. Kinney. On this site the Starkey Indian battle was fought.
John A. Brown.—Mr. Brown, a native of Pennsylvania, came to Sunrise in 1853, and was for awhile quite prominent, building a store, hotel and other buildings. In 1855 he was married to Emeline Hartwell. He prospered in business, but owing to some domestic difficulties, in 1857 left suddenly for parts unknown. His property was sacrificed to meet obligations, and his wife left helpless. Mrs. Brown died in Minneapolis in 1880.
Patten W. Daviswas a native of Virginia. He came to Stillwater in 1848, and soon after removed to Osceola Mills, where he lived two years. In 1853 he removed to Sunrise, and was associated in business for two years with John A. Brown. He has held the positions of postmaster, town clerk, treasurer, county commissioner, supervisor, and assessor. In 1876 he married a Virginia lady, and returned to his native state.
James F. Harveywas born in 1820, in Penobscot county, Maine. He came West in 1847 and settled at Marine Mills. In 1854 he removed to Sunrise and located in the northeast quarter of section 14, township 36, range 21, at what was known as Goose Creek crossing. His first wife, whom he had married in Maine, died shortly after their arrival at Sunrise, leaving one daughter, Maria, wife of Leonard Clark, of Stillwater. Mr. Harvey was married in 1856 to widow Patience Knight, the mother of Mrs. Floyd S. Bates, Albert S. and Frank E., of Taylor's Falls, and Ella Medora Harvey, wife of J. A. Shores, of Minneapolis. Mr. Harvey died at his home in 1864. Mrs. Harvey died at Taylor's Falls in 1871.
Floyd S. Bates, originally from Maine, has been since 1854 a prominent lumberman on the St. Croix, living first at Sunrise,and in later years at Taylor's Falls. He owns an extensive farm in Cass county, Dakota. Of his three brothers, E. Hines resides in Taylor's Falls, and J. Herrick and Charles in Dakota Territory.
Isaac H. Warnerwas born in New York in 1830, was married in 1852 and came to Sunrise in 1854, where he followed farming and selling goods. He has served as postmaster, justice of the peace and held other positions. He has three children. His eldest, a daughter, wife of Samuel McClure, a lumberman of Sunrise, died February, 1885. Mr. Warner removed to Dakota in 1883.
Charles F. Lowewas born in 1815 in Concord, New Hampshire, received a collegiate education and came to Sunrise in 1855. He interested himself in real estate but devoted about one-half of his time to travel, of which he was passionately fond. He made one trip around the globe, writing back interesting letters descriptive of what he had seen. He made his last annual tour in 1873, and, while sailing in a small boat in some of the waters of Florida, the boat was struck by a squall, capsized and Mr. Lowe was drowned. Mr. Lowe was a member of the Minnesota constitutional convention.
Wells Farrcame from New York State to Sunrise prairie in 1854, where he has since lived in a comfortable home, a successful farmer. He has a family of four sons and two daughters. His oldest daughter is the wife of Ephraim C. Ingalls. His second daughter is the wife of Frank Dawson, of Lent. Mr. Farr died in March, 1888.
John G. Moldcame to Sunrise in 1854, where he engaged in milling, hotel keeping and mercantile business. He was the proprietor of the Sunrise City mills, since burned. He died in 1873, aged fifty years, leaving a widow, two sons and two daughters.
George L. Blood, during his early life, was a seafaring man, spending many years upon the ocean, and visiting during this time many foreign ports, keeping a daily record of his journeyings. Mr. Blood had learned the trade of house joiner, but coming to Sunrise in 1854, attempted farming, at which he was not successful. In 1864 he removed to Taylor's Falls, where he died in 1869. His life was an exemplary one, and his death that of a Christian. His family returned to their old home in Connecticut. His two sons reside in St. Paul.
Joel G. Rydercame from New York to the St. Croix and settled in the town of Sunrise, near the village, about the year 1855. He was energetic and able, and was called to fill many town and county offices. He was a representative in the fifteenth state legislature. In 1860 he was married to Lizzie Perkins.
John Deanwas born in 18—; was married to Mary Draper in 1860; came to Minnesota in 18—; served some time as river pilot, and settled on his farm near Sunrise City in 1860. Mr. Dean represented his district in the house of the twenty-first and twenty-second legislatures.
The village of Taylor's Falls was platted in 1851, a survey of lots having been made at that time by Theodore S. Parker, of Stillwater. Additions were made from time to time as the increasing population demanded. A year before the survey a frame building was erected on what was subsequently the northwest corner of River and First streets. In 1851 and 1852 some streets were opened, but with considerable difficulty, on account of the trap rock, which to be removed required blasting. Bowlders that could not be removed were buried. The work of cutting a street to the upper steamboat landing was specially difficult. There were no roads to the village, and the only means of travel was by steamboat, bateaux, or birch bark canoes, until the government road was opened sometime in 1856. A post office was established in March, 1851, and a weekly mail was ordered from Stillwater. Prior to this time a semi-monthly mail had been carried between the points named. Of the office established in 1851, N. C. D. Taylor was first postmaster. The office was in W. H. C. Folsom's store, Folsom acting as deputy postmaster. The successors of Mr. Taylor have been, Porter E. Walker, Edward P. Wyman, Thomas Holmes, Oscar Roos, George W. Seymour, and N. M. Humphrey; not a long list for thirty-five years. The location of the office was changed with each successive incumbent. The mail carrier in 1851 was the Hon. Warren Bristol, since then four times a representative and senator from Goodhue county in the state legislature, and United States judge in Arizona. The mail service has passed through all the gradations from a semi-monthly to a semi-daily mail. The mail has been carried in canoes or bateaux, on foot, on horseback, on steamboat and rail car. It is now carried by rail. Of the Baker & Taylor mill an accounthas been given elsewhere. The next mill, a grist mill, was built by N. C. D. Taylor, W. H. C. Folsom and the Day brothers, in 1852. It was several years later remodeled and changed into a carding mill, and is now the property of Jonas Gray. Kingman Brothers built a saw mill in 1857, with a capacity of 12,000 feet per day. Several parties succeeded to the ownership and control of the mill, but, after doing good service for many years, it was abandoned. Clark Brothers built a lumber and stave mill in 1868. After ten years this mill was removed.
The first merchant was Daniel Mears, who sold goods as early as 1848. W. H. C. Folsom opened a store in 1850; Taylor & Fox in 1852. The Chisago House was built by Thomson & Smith in 1852, on the corner of Bench and First streets. In 1870 the name was changed to Dalles House. It has changed landlords many times, the last being Henry Kattenberg. The Cascade House was built in 1853, on the corner of Walnut and Bench streets, by Richard Arnold. It is no longer used. The Falls House was built in 1870, on Bench street near Walnut, by Erastus Guard, and converted into a hotel in 1880, with Henry Kattenberg as proprietor, by whom it was conducted as a temperance house. It is now in charge of Eugene Fitzgerald.
The first physician was Lucius B. Smith. Susan Thomson taught the first school. The first marriage was that of Charles D. Turney and Cecilia Ring, Ansel Smith, justice of the peace, tying the knot. Wm. Colby was the first white child born in the village. The first death was that of a three-year-old daughter of Ansel Smith, in 1852. Rev. W. T. Boutwell preached the first sermon, in 1851. In 1852 three young Episcopal ministers, Revs. Breck, Myrick and Wilcoxson, alternated in holding services, but did not organize a society. Rev. Julius S. Webber, Baptist, preached occasionally in 1852 and 1853; Rev. W. Miner, Congregationalist, in 1856 and 1857 became the first resident minister. In April, 1859, Rev. Silas Bolles, a Methodist, organized a society, the first in the village. In June, 1859, Rev. A. M. Torbet organized a Baptist society and served as pastor four years. The society built a church in 1861 at a cost of $3,000.
In 1860 the Swedish Evangelical Lutherans built a church on the corner of Mulberry and Government streets, at a cost of $1,500. Rev. C. A. Cedarstam was pastor in 1871-72-73, Rev. —— Tornell the three succeeding years, and three other pastors have servedsince. In 1866 Rev. John G. Hall organized a Presbyterian society, and built a church in 1868, on the corner of River and Chisago streets, at a cost of $1,500. Mr. Hall served as pastor four years. The Roman Catholics erected a church on the corner of Walnut and Centre streets in 1873, at a cost of $1,000. They have as yet no settled priest or parish school.
The St. Croix Bridge Company was organized in 1854. The incorporators were W. H. C. Folsom, Patrick Fox, Joshua L. Taylor, W. S. Hungerford, Wm. Kent, Nelson McCarty, John Dobney, W. F. Colby, Orange Walker, Fred W. Lammers, and N. C. D. Taylor. The bridge was built in 1856; W. S. Sewall, St. Paul, was the engineer. The capital stock amounted to $4,925, and was divided into 197 shares at $25 each. The bridge was rebuilt in 1870, on the same plan, and in 1884 was replaced by an iron bridge, at a cost of $6,253. The bridge has a span of 150 feet and is a light and graceful structure. It was the first bridge that spanned the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers.
The Chisago County Bank was organized in 1858, under the state banking law; capital stock, $25,000; Levi W. Folsom, president; S. C. Gould, cashier. It was closed in 1859.
The Taylor's Falls Copper Mining Company was organized Dec. 15, 1874; W. H. C. Folsom, president; George W. Seymour, secretary; L. W. Folsom, treasurer; D. A. Caneday, mining agent. The operations of this company extended to sinking a shaft to a depth of one hundred and thirty feet.
The Kahbakong Cemetery Association was organized in 1853. The first board of officers were W. H. C. Folsom, president; Joshua L. Taylor, secretary. The cemetery is located a mile and a half from the village and contains fifteen acres of ground beautifully located.
Zion Lodge, No. 55, A. F. &. A. M., was organized March 3, 1866. Sherman Post, No. 6, G. A. R., was organized in July, 1882, Caspar Hauser, commander. Taylor's Falls Library Association was organized Oct. 8, 1871, E. D. Whiting, president; J. A. McGowan, secretary. Within two years the library numbered 1,000 volumes and since that time the number has been increased to 1,500.
In 1858 the village of Taylor's Falls was regularly incorporated with the following board of officers: Trustees, Patrick Fox, president; W. H. C. Folsom, E. D. Whiting, L. W. Folsom; recorder, H. H. Newbury; treasurer, Wm. Comer.
The last Indian dance in Taylor's Falls was given by a party of Chippewas in 1856. They had come down the St. Croix in birch canoes with furs and cranberries to exchange with Samuels in St. Croix village for "scootawabo," or whisky. They remained about a week, drinking and carousing in their peculiar style. One Sabbath, and when, for a wonder, they were quite sober, they visited Taylor's Falls and gave a series of grotesque and laughable dances in the street, opposite Folsom's store, after which they called for presents as tokens of friendship and appreciation, kindly and gravely shook hands and recrossed the river.
"Thus departed Hiawatha."
"Thus departed Hiawatha."
Jesse Taylor, the first permanent settler of Taylor's Falls, came to the Falls in 1838, as narrated in the general history of the village. Nothing is known of his life before coming to the Falls, except that he was originally from Kentucky, and lived at Fort Snelling, where he was employed as a stonemason. By the death of his associate, B. F. Baker, he came into possession of the mill property and its belongings. This he sold to Joshua L. Taylor in 1846, and removed to Stillwater, where he took a contract for stone work on the prison walls. His name appears as a member of the house from Stillwater in the territorial legislature for 1851 and 1852. He was married in 1844 to Abigail, daughter of widow Edwards, of Stillwater. He left Stillwater in 1853.
Joshua L. Taylorwas born in Sanbornton, New Hampshire, in 1816. In 1836 he removed to Alton, Illinois, where he lived until 1840, when he came to Taylor's Falls in the employ of the St. Croix Falls Lumber Company. In 1846 he purchased the property of Jesse Taylor. He engaged in logging until 1849, meanwhile pre-empting portions of the site of Taylor's Falls. In the fall of 1849 he went to California, and was fairly successful in his mining ventures. He returned to Taylor's Falls in 1852, where he has since resided. He was married in October, 1856, at Skowhegan, Maine, to Clarinda Wyman. Mrs. Taylor died May 4, 1860, leaving no children. Mr. Taylor built a fine residence in 1856, on block 1, River street, Taylor's Falls, commanding a beautiful view of the river. Mrs. Gilmore, a sister of Mr. Taylor, and her daughter Mary, lived with him manyyears. Mrs. Gilmore died in 1868. Mary Gilmore was married to D. G. Sampson in 1881 and now lives in Ashland. Mr. Taylor had many opportunities of entering public life, but, with a solitary exception, declined them. At the organization of the territory of Minnesota, in 1849, he was appointed United States marshal, but declined. He was afterward appointed warden of the penitentiary at Stillwater, and served two years.
Nathan C. D. Taylor, elder brother of Joshua, was born in Sanbornton, New Hampshire, in 1810; removed to Alton, Illinois, in 1832 and was for several years in the employ of Godfrey, Gilman & Co., merchants of Alton. Mr. Taylor came to St. Croix Falls in 1846. He was one of the original pre-emptors of the site of Taylor's Falls. In 1852 he engaged with Patrick Fox in the mercantile business. They carried on an extensive trade in goods and logs until 1858. The firm of Taylor & Fox erected a good store building on lot 16, block 15. He was a member of the house in the fifth and seventh territorial legislatures, and speaker of the fifth. In 1866 he was elected county treasurer of Chisago county, and thereafter to the same office continuously for ten years. Mr. Taylor never married. He died at Taylor's Falls, March 20, 1887.
Thomas F. Mortonwas born in South Carolina. He came to St. Croix Falls in 1840. In 1850 he settled on a farm adjoining Taylor's Falls, known as the Jerry Ross claim. He pre-empted the southwest quarter of section 25. In 1852 he was married to Mrs. Margaret Boyce, his second wife, mother of Silas Boyce, of Amador. He followed farming successfully a few years, and in 1862 enlisted in his country's service, as a private in Company C, Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and along with his friends Colby and Guard did noble service, participating in several battles, in one of which, the battle of Nashville, he was wounded by the bursting of a shell. He remained with the regiment, however, until, disabled by his wound and by sickness at the siege of Spanish Fort, he was compelled to return home. He never recovered his health, but in 1867 peacefully passed away. He was a good man, a brave soldier, and an exemplary Christian.
Henry N. Setzer.—Mr. Setzer is a descendant of a North German family. He was born in Montgomery county, Missouri, Oct. 6, 1825, and received his education at home, which heleft at the age of fourteen years, and afterward at St. Charles College, Missouri. In 1843 Mr. Setzer came to the St. Croix valley, where he engaged in lumbering for himself and others, and devoted some time to public affairs. From 1843 to 1854 he resided alternately at Stillwater, Marine, Taylor's Falls and Chengwatana. Mr. Setzer represented the Fourth district, including Marine, Rush Lake, Rice River and Snake River precincts, in the house of the first territorial legislature, and the First district, including the counties of Washington, Itasca, Chisago, Superior and Doty, in the council of the seventh and eighth territorial legislatures. He was a member of the Democratic wing of the constitutional convention in 1857. In 1857 he was appointed warden of the state prison at Stillwater, which position he held until 1860, when he was appointed register of the land office at Cambridge, Isanti county. He held this position until April,1861. Having devoted his leisure time to the study of law, and having been admitted to practice in the supreme court of Minnesota, he concluded to devote himself entirely to practice. He established a law office in Taylor's Falls with L. K. Stannard. He removed to Superior City in 1869, to Duluth in 1874, and returned to Taylor's Falls in 1877. He has served as town and county attorney in Chisago county for many years, and has an extensive practice in the higher courts.
Patrick Foxwas born in Tipperary county, Ireland, in 1819; came with his parents to America in 1823, and to Davenport, Iowa, in 1836. In 1841 he came to St. Croix Falls, where he lived three years, moving thence to Stillwater, where he engaged in logging until 1851, when he removed to Taylor's Falls and engaged in lumbering for a year, then entered into a mercantile partnership with N. C. D. Taylor. The firm closed business in 1858. Mr. Fox has been a public spirited citizen, contributing freely of his means for the improvement of the village, aiding in opening roads, building levees and bridges, and school houses, before such enterprises could be paid for out of tax revenues. Mr. Fox represented Chisago county in the second legislature, 1860. Mr. Fox is a good neighbor, industrious and temperate. He was married at Davenport, Iowa, to Elisabeth Riley. They have three sons and two daughters. The eldest daughter is the wife of Clarence Peaslee; the second daughter became the wife of Winfield P. Larcy, of Dakota, in 1886.
W. F. Colbywas born in Whitefield, Maine, June 12, 1818. In his early life he was a sailor. He came to St. Croix Falls in 1843. He was married to Salina De Attly in 1849, and removed to the west side of the river, where he located on the Otis farm which he had previously bought. He followed lumbering and farming and kept a lodging house for travelers. He built a good house, and the first frame barn in Chisago county. He sold his property, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres and improvements, for $8,000. In 1862 Mr. Colby enlisted in Company C, Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war as sergeant. Mr. Colby is a bluff, square, outspoken man, hearty in his manner, and somewhat sailor-like in his expressions though almost a lifetime has passed since he trod the deck of a vessel.
Oscar Rooswas born in West Gothland, Sweden, in 1827. He came to America in 1850, and located in Taylor's Falls, where he has since resided continuously, taking an active part in public affairs, and a deep interest in everything pertaining to the growth of the village and county. Mr. Roos was postmaster at Taylor's Falls 8 years, register of deeds 8 years, register of the land office 5 years, and county treasurer 8 years. He is engaged in exchange, loaning money, etc., and has a branch office in Centre City. He was married to Hannah Swanstrom in 1870.
Samuel Thomson, a Pennsylvanian by birth, came to Taylor's Falls in 1851, and in company with Ansel Smith built the Chisago House, a notable enterprise at that time, as neither the resources of the village or surrounding country had been developed in such a way as to give any assurance of success. Mr. Thomson removed in 1854 to Polk county; and settled on a farm in Osceola, where he made himself an attractive and pleasant home. His farm has long been celebrated for its trout pond. Mr. Thomson has given much attention and been quite successful in fish culture. The farm was sold in 1885, and Mr. Thompson removed to Arkansas, where he died Nov. 5, 1886.
Susan Thomson, sister of Samuel Thomson, taught the first school in Taylor's Falls, in 1852. She had just come from Pennsylvania, and had traveled on horseback from Stillwater, there being no carriage roads above Marine. She was married to Daniel Mears, of Osceola, in 1852.
George de Attly, a native of Virginia, came to St. Croix Falls with his family in 1847, and removed to Taylor's Falls in 1851, locating in section 25, and making a pre-emption. He was a carpenter. He raised a large and respected family. One son is in the Black Hills, Dakota Territory. His oldest daughter is the wife of Wm. F. Colby, of Taylor's Falls. His second daughter was the widow of Jacob Markley. His third daughter is the wife of Alvah Brown. One son, George, resides in Taylor's Falls. Mr. De Attly died in Nebraska.
Jacob Markleycame from Virginia to the St. Croix valley in 1847, settling first at St. Croix Falls, and in 1851 locating at Taylor's Falls, where he pre-empted the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 24. He went to Montana in 1869, where he died a tragic death. His widow and two children reside in the Black Hills, Dakota.
John Dobneywas born in England in 1820; came to America when a child, to Stillwater in 1845, and to Taylor's Falls in 1852. He followed logging for many years, and made himself a permanent home on a farm in Amador, on the banks of the St. Croix river, in 1858. He was married to Eveline Page, in Michigan, in 1859.
William Dobney, younger brother of John, came to Taylor's Falls from Michigan in 1852, and engaged, with characteristic energy, in lumbering and selling goods until his death, which was the result of an accident, he having been thrown violently from a wagon which he was driving, in the spring of 1871. He was married in 1855 to Fanny M. Gray, who with two children survives him. The oldest, a son, is married and resides in Minneapolis. The daughter is the wife of Dr. Greely Murdock, of Taylor's Falls.
Henry H. Newburycame to St. Croix Falls in 1849, and to Taylor's Falls in 1852. Mr. Newbury is a practical surveyor and explorer. He served as county surveyor and commissioner many years. He was married first to Sarah Ayers, widow of E. R. St. Clair, who died in 1874. In 1880 he was married to Fanny M. Gray, widow of Wm. Dobney.
Emil Munchwas born in Prussia in 1831; came to America in 1849, and to Taylor's Falls in 1852, where, until 1857, he worked at the carpenter's trade, when he removed to Chengwatana, Pine county, and engaged in lumbering and dealing inpine lands. He served as register of deeds in Pine county, and represented Washington, Chisago, Pine and Kanabec counties in the house of the third legislature in 1861. He enlisted at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, Oct. 16, 1861, as a private in the First Minnesota Battery, and was chosen captain on the following month; was wounded at Shiloh, April 5, 1862; returned to his battery in September of the same year, took part in the battle of Corinth, October 4th and 5th, and in the after campaign was appointed chief of artillery, in October, 1862, and from effects of exposure on the march was forced to resign in the December following, but again entered the service to fight the Sioux Indians on the Minnesota frontier in May, June and July, 1863. He entered the Veteran Reserve Corps in August, 1863. At the close of the war, in 1865, he settled in St. Paul and acted as deputy state treasurer. In 1868 he was elected state treasurer and held the office until 1872. Mr. Munch lost most of his property in a long litigation, in consequence of some unfortunate ventures in buying pine lands. Subsequent to his term of office as state treasurer he removed to Lakeland and engaged in the lumber business. In 1875 he removed to Afton where he took charge of a flouring mill. He was married in 1865 to Bertha Segar. He died Aug. 30, 1887.
Alvin Mason Wilmarth.—Mr. Wilmarth came from Massachusetts to the valley of the St. Croix in 1849, and to Taylor's Falls in 1852. He has followed lumbering and farming. Mr. Wilmarth is a steady, temperate man.
Lucius Kingsbury Stannardwas born in Franklin county, Vermont, July 6, 1825. He had good educational advantages and improved them. He completed his literary course at Barkersfield Academic Institute, Vermont, afterward studied law at St. Albans, and was admitted to the bar in 1850. In 1852 he came West and located at Taylor's Falls, where for some years he had charge of the business of Taylor & Fox. In 1857 he was a member of the territorial legislature, representing in the house the counties of Washington, Itasca, Chisago, Superior, and Doty. He was a member of the Republican wing of the constitutional convention of 1857. He represented Chisago, Pine and Isanti counties in the state senate of 1859-60. He was a member of the house of the thirteenth legislature, 1871, representing Washington, Chisago, Pine and Kanabec counties.He held the position of receiver in the United States land office at Taylor's Falls from 1861 to 1870. He was the first lawyer admitted to practice in the courts of Chisago county. He was associated in his law practice for several years with H. N. Setzer. He has served as prosecuting attorney and probate judge. He served several years as county surveyor. He has, in later years, been engaged in the lumbering and mercantile business, in the firm of Ellison & Stannard. In October, 1884, he was appointed register in the land office, which position he now holds. Mr. Stannard has a very pleasant home within the village limits, but some distance beyond the settled portion. He is a man of sound judgment, of grave and almost severe demeanor, outspoken and positive in his views, but withal a reliable citizen and kind neighbor. He was married in 1858 to Harriet Stevenson, in St. Louis. They have one son, Luke.
James W. Mullenwas born in Nova Scotia in 1830. He came to Davenport, Iowa, in 1843. He commenced life on a steamboat at the age of fourteen years. He was employed on the steamer Boreas, plying between St. Louis and Keokuk, and followed river life most of the time until 1878. In 1885 he built the Vincent House, St. Croix. Taylor's Falls has been his home at different times since his marriage in 1854. He was married to Margaret Riley, of Davenport, Iowa. Their children are William, Edward and Elsa.
David Canedaywas born in Vermont in 1830, and settled in Taylor's Falls in 1853. Mr. Caneday has devoted much of his time to prospecting as a mineralogist. During the years 1861-62 he edited theSt. Croix Monitor, and from 1881-84 theSt. Croix Dalles. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C., Seventh Minnesota Infantry, and served till the close of the war. His record as a soldier was good. After the battle of Tupelo he volunteered to remain with the wounded, of whom there were about sixty, in the hands of the enemy. Two of these wounded were comrades and friends in Company C., Andrew J. Colby and John S. Swenson. The former died. Mr. Caneday remained at great personal risk, and saw the inside of several prisons before being exchanged. After his return Mr. Caneday engaged in mining and prospecting, except such time as he edited theSt. Croix Dalles. He is now mining on Kettle river, in Pine county, Minnesota, and in Burnett county, Wisconsin. He was married in 1865 to Laura, daughter of Judge N. M. Humphrey.
George B. Folsomwas born in St. Johns, New Brunswick, April 9, 1815. He was married to Deborah Sawyer, October, 1842, and came to Taylor's Falls in 1853, where he engaged in lumbering. In 1855 he removed to Rush Seba, locating in section 14. He was the first settler in the town and raised the first crops; built the first log and the first frame house, and was prominent in advancing the educational and other interests of the town. He was appointed postmaster in 1856, and held the office fourteen years. He held the office of county commissioner ten years. In 1875 he was appointed receiver of the land office at Taylor's Falls, which office he held for ten years, since which time he has resided in the village.
Aaron M. Chasewas born in Machias, Maine, April 7, 1813. He received a home and common school education. In the fall of 1848 he came to St. Anthony and engaged in lumbering. He and Sumner Farnham ran the first logs down the Mississippi from Rabbit river to Fort Ripley and St. Anthony, in 1849. In the spring of 1849, in company with Pat Morin, he built a tow boat, clearing for that purpose a tow path on the eastern side of the river a distance of eighty miles. He carried freight for the American Fur Company, but the introduction of steamboats put an end to this enterprise. In the fall of 1849 he went to St. Louis and remained there till August, 1850, when he returned North, locating at the outlet of Balsam lake, Polk county, Wisconsin, where he built a saw mill. He built a dam and mill, bringing the materials together without other team than himself and five men. After completing the mill he engaged for some years in lumbering. He located at Taylor's Falls in 1853. In 1869 he supervised the building of a series of dams on streams tributary to the Upper St. Croix, the water collected by them to be used at low stages to float logs to the St. Croix and down that stream to Stillwater. These dams are operated under a charter from the state of Wisconsin, and have proved a great benefit to the lumbermen. Mr. Chase is president of the company. He is a man of strong, clear mind, deliberate in action, positive in his opinions and pointed in his expressions, and withal a kind hearted, generous and true man. Mr. Chase is unmarried.
Peter Abearwas born in Canada East in 1830; came to Stillwater in 1850, but subsequently removed to Taylor's Falls where, in 1855, he was married to Kitty Wickland, who died in1860, leaving a son, Franklin E., merchant at Anoka. Mr. Abear married again. His second wife died in 1868, leaving a daughter, Mary. Mr. Abear married a third wife, who died in 1874, leaving no children. Mr. Abear is a machinist but has given much of his attention to farming.
Levi W. Folsomwas born in Tamworth, Carroll county, New Hampshire, Sept. 25, 1821. He was fitted for college at Gilmanton, entered Penn College at Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania, and graduated in 1848. Returning to New England, he studied law at Cornish, Maine, with Caleb R. Ayer, and was admitted to practice in the county of Carroll, New Hampshire. He came to Taylor's Falls in 1854, and was admitted to practice in the supreme court of Minnesota, and practiced law for a period of fifteen years, when he engaged in real estate and other business. He is a pleasant and agreeable speaker, stands high in the masonic fraternity, is an ardent and uncompromising Democrat, a positive man with strong home and social feelings. He has been vice president of the Taylor's Falls branch of the St. Paul & Duluth railroad since its organization. He was married in 1859 to Abbie Shaw, in St. Paul.
Eddington Knowleswas born in Kentucky in 1821; came to St. Croix Falls in 1844, and followed lumbering. He was married to Ann Carroll at Taylor's Falls in 1854, and made his residence at Taylor's Falls. He enlisted for service during the Rebellion in the Third Minnesota Volunteers, but was discharged for disability before the close of the war. He died at Hayward, Wisconsin, in 1883, leaving a widow and three children. His oldest daughter is the wife of Douglas Greely, of Stillwater. His body was brought to the Taylor's Falls cemetery for interment.
Dr. Lucius B. Smith.—Dr. Smith was the first regular physician in Taylor's Falls, having located here in 1854. He was born in Berlin, Erie county, Ohio, in the year 1824. He was married in 1849, and after some years' practice of medicine in his native town he came West and located in Taylor's Falls, where he resided until 1862, when he was appointed surgeon of the Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, in which regiment were many of his friends and associates. He performed well his duties in that position, but was killed on the day preceding the battle of Tupelo, the division to which he belonged having been ambuscaded by Forrest's troops. His remains were carried to the fieldof Tupelo and there buried, but have since been removed to Kahbakong cemetery, at Taylor's Falls. Dr. Smith was a tall man, of fine presence, with the air of an officer, for which reason, doubtless, some sharpshooter singled him out for destruction. Dr. Smith left a widow, one son, Charles, and one daughter, Mary, the wife of J. W. Passmore. His widow was married to E. D. Whiting. Both are deceased.
William Comerwas born in Cheshire county, England, in 1812; was married to Elisabeth Davis; came to America in 1846 and located in St. Louis, where he remained until 1852, when he removed to Pike county, Illinois. In 1854 he removed to St. Croix Falls and in 1855 to Taylor's Falls, where he has since resided. He has been treasurer of Chisago county two terms, and four years register of the United States land office. For a number of years he has held the position of town and bridge treasurer. He and his two sons, George and William, are engaged in the mercantile business. His daughter, Eleanor, is the wife of Benj. Thaxter, of Minneapolis.
Dr. Erastus D. Whiting.—The Whiting family, consisting of three brothers, Erastus D., Selah and Charles B., came to Taylor's Falls in 1855, and for many years were prominent merchants and business men in the village. Erastus D. Whiting was born in Vernon Centre, Massachusetts, in 1811. He was educated in the common schools and at Westfield Academy. At the age of sixteen he commenced reading medicine and graduated at the Ohio Medical College in 1832. He practiced three years in Ashtabula, Ohio, and twenty years in Pike county, Illinois. When he came to Taylor's Falls he retired from practice and engaged in the mercantile and lumbering business until 1867. During this time he served in two sessions of the Minnesota legislature as representative, 1860-61. In 1869 he visited Europe. He died in Taylor's Falls in 1880. He was twice married; first in 1837, to Emily Bradley, who died in 1866; and second in ——, to Mrs. Smith (widow of Dr. L. B. Smith), who died in 1872.
Selah Whitingwas born in Connecticut; came West to Pike county, Illinois, in 1836, and to Taylor's Falls in 1855. He engaged in the mercantile business. His wife died in 1867. He died in 1868.
Charles B. Whitingwas born in Litchfield county, Connecticut; came to Pike county, Illinois, in 1836, and to Taylor'sFalls in 1855. He was associated with his brothers in the mercantile business. He was register of the land office four years and served as United States marshal during the war. His first wife died in Taylor's Falls. He was married to Flavilla Blanding in 18—. Mr. Whiting died in 1873.
Frederic Tangwas born in Prussia in 1819. He learned the trade of house carpenter and served in the Prussian Army one year. He was married in Germany, in 1850; came to America in 1852 and to Taylor's Falls in 1856. He served three years in Company C, Seventh Minnesota, during the Rebellion. One son, Frederic, resides at Taylor's Falls, engaged in lumbering. His oldest daughter, Pena, is the wife of Ernest Leske, of Taylor's Falls. His second daughter, Bertha, is the wife of David Bowsher, of Dakota. Mr. Tang died in November, 1887.
Ward W. Folsomwas born in 1822, in Tamworth, New Hampshire; was married to Matilda Stedman in 1844; came to Taylor's Falls in 1856, where he kept a boarding house for several years. He died at his home, Sept. 28, 1884. His eldest son, Charles W., was editor of the Taylor's FallsReporterfor several years. He was married to Luella Gray in 1865. He died in 1872. Edward H., his second son, for some years has edited the Taylor's FallsJournal. He started and conducted for some years the StillwaterLumberman. He was married to Susie Way, in September, 1868.
George W. Seymourwas born in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, in 1828, and came to Taylor's Falls in 1857, where he has since resided, following the occupation of druggist, but occasionally holding a town office. Mr. Seymour held the positions of postmaster and justice of the peace for several years, and has been secretary of the Taylor's Falls & Lake Superior railroad since its organization. Mr. Seymour is an active member of the masonic fraternity, an ardent Democrat and thoroughly trustworthy and reliable as a man and friend. He is unmarried.
James A. Woolley, a native of England, came to Taylor's Falls in 1857. He was an engineer and in my employ as engineer and foreman in the pinery for fourteen years, during which period our association was quite intimate, and I learned to know him and esteem him as a true friend, and faithful to all his obligations as a man. He was a true Christian and died in full hopeof immortality. He promised, when he knew himself to be dying, to return to earth and revisit me if possible, but so far has not returned. He died in 1874. His family removed to Dakota. His oldest son, John Alley, was killed in Washington Territory by a premature explosion of a blast in a mine, by which nineteen others were killed at the same time. Alida married William McKenzie and resides at Grand Forks, Dakota. Frank W. F., the youngest son, also lives in Dakota.
Patrick Carroll, was of Irish birth. His wife is a sister of Patrick Fox. He is about ninety years of age. They have had two sons, Joseph and one drowned, and three daughters, one the wife of E. Knowles, deceased, the other two becoming respectively the first and second wife of John O'Brien. Mr. O'Brien has two daughters, Minnie and Lizzie, and three sons, William, Joseph and Daniel.
Joseph Carrollwas born at Davenport, Iowa, in 1840; came to St. Croix when a boy, early in the 50's, and worked for his uncle, Patrick Fox, in the pinery; was married to Mary Cotter at Davenport, Iowa, in 1858. He resided at Taylor's Falls until 1861, when he enlisted in a Kansas regiment. He was severely wounded at Springfield, Missouri. He was subsequently transferred to a heavy artillery company of colored troops from Tennessee, and commissioned a lieutenant. He was at Fort Pillow during the massacre, was taken prisoner and confined at Andersonville eighteen months. After his dismissal he went to Memphis and was employed in the police service until 1867, when he and his wife died of yellow fever, leaving two daughters, one the wife of Edward St. John, of Marine, the other of Geo. W. Booth, of Taylor's Falls.
Rev. E. E. Edwardswas born in Delaware, Ohio, Jan. 26, 1831; was educated at Indiana Asbury University, and has been employed most of his life in educational work, serving as president of Whitewater College, Indiana, professor of Latin in Hamline University, professor of natural sciences at St. Charles and McKendre colleges, and president of the Colorado State Agricultural College. Mr. Edwards came to Taylor's Falls in the winter of 1860, and remained two years as pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, and teacher in the Chisago Seminary. During the last year of the war he was chaplain of the Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. In the winter of 1885 he againbecame pastor of the Taylor's Falls Methodist Episcopal church. He was married in 1854 to Alice L. Eddy, of Cincinnati, Ohio. His family consists of four sons and one daughter.
Stephen J. Merrillwas born in Schoharie county, New York, in 1827; came to the St. Croix valley in 1848, and to Taylor's Falls in 1861. He was married to Caroline Nelson in 1861. They have six sons and one daughter. He has a beautiful and well improved homestead within the town limits, adjoining the cemetery.